PDA

View Full Version : Labour / NZ First Government

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

elZorro
04-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Would Labour supporters spread rumours to the detriment of Labour ? Or would it be as Winston implies the more "anything but the left " hardliners from further right of the political spectrum?
"Dirty Politics" exposed the extent some are prepared to go to achieve their political goals.
As you say in a later post - "I have no idea what any other rumours were - nor do I care. "
How ever, others on this site are quite happy to spread rumour and gossip.

westerly

Like our nautical friend from Nelson? Maybe that post has been swiftly retracted. Back in 2014, just before the elections, I posted information I had received from a very good source that said the National Party were certainly still using Crosby Textor. These sorts of baseless rumours are right up their line, and nothing to stop anyone taking free cues from that policy, to spike Labour when they're riding high. It worked for Trump didn't it?

iceman
05-05-2018, 09:49 AM
EZ I deleted a post after being advised that the issue (or connected issue) I talked about was related to a case before the courts where name suppression had been applied, that I was unaware of when posting.

elZorro
05-05-2018, 10:02 AM
EZ I deleted a post after being advised that the issue (or connected issue) I talked about was related to a case before the courts where name suppression had been applied, that I was unaware of when posting.

Fair enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/20/any-election-involving-crosby-textor-will-include-dead-cats-and-weve-just-been-thrown-one

minimoke
05-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Fair enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/20/any-election-involving-crosby-textor-will-include-dead-cats-and-weve-just-been-thrown-oneI might be inclined to apply the dead cat theory to the unprecedented police statement the other day.

winner69
05-05-2018, 10:37 AM
I might be inclined to apply the dead cat theory to the unprecedented police statement the other day.

Masterstroke that was .....she now controls the narrative

On another matter I’ve heard on the grapevine that that Young Labour Camp never happened...just another rumour

minimoke
05-05-2018, 11:34 AM
On another matter I’ve heard on the grapevine that that Young Labour Camp never happened...just another rumourSee, that's the trouble with rumours. I've heard there was a Labour Camp. Its only a rumour and there doesn't seem to be any evidence that there actually was. I think it best we wait for the police to confirm that there was no Labour Camp - and in the absence of such announcement it should be safe to assume there was.

jonu
05-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Like our nautical friend from Nelson? Maybe that post has been swiftly retracted. Back in 2014, just before the elections, I posted information I had received from a very good source that said the National Party were certainly still using Crosby Textor. These sorts of baseless rumours are right up their line, and nothing to stop anyone taking free cues from that policy, to spike Labour when they're riding high. It worked for Trump didn't it?

Careful now El Z. Isn't that a defamatory comment in itself? Every now and again you lower yourself to the mudpit with the worst of them.

elZorro
05-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Careful now El Z. Isn't that a defamatory comment in itself? Every now and again you lower yourself to the mudpit with the worst of them.

Until I hear that Crosby-Textor have been dropped by the National Party as their campaign strategists, I'll continue to point it out. It would seem that the press have been smart enough to research these rumour(s), and have not bothered to go into print about them, because they were baseless.

The Young Labour camp episode is a different story, that'll need to get sorted out by the Labour Party, and of course steps have already been taken.

jonu
05-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Until I hear that Crosby-Textor have been dropped by the National Party as their campaign strategists, I'll continue to point it out. It would seem that the press have been smart enough to research these rumour(s), and have not bothered to go into print about them, because they were baseless.

The Young Labour camp episode is a different story, that'll need to get sorted out by the Labour Party, and of course steps have already been taken.

My point is that you are defaming Crosby-Textor not the Nats for employing them. You clearly suggested Crosby-Textor were responsible for the rumours

elZorro
05-05-2018, 10:11 PM
My point is that you are defaming Crosby-Textor not the Nats for employing them. You clearly suggested Crosby-Textor were responsible for the rumours

Not at all. Crosby-Textor have been connected in "Dirty Politics" and numerous other worldwide articles for suggesting the 'dead cat' idea to their clients, so it's a well-known technique in NZ politics. Anyone could have started up the rumours, it probably wasn't the Labour Party, much more likely National-linked. The prevalence of this sort of behaviour in NZ politics coincides with the use of Crosby-Textor as strategists. Have another read of "Dirty Politics", as I am.

winner69
07-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Saw this headline in an Aussie paper - Whatever Tuesday's budget holds, it's sure to be fudged

Just like our Budget next week will also be fudged ...fudged big time

macduffy
07-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Saw this headline in an Aussie paper - Whatever Tuesday's budget holds, it's sure to be fudged

Just like our Budget next week will also be fudged ...fudged big time

Speaking of budgets, the weekend DomPost carried an article by financial commentator Janine Sparks pointing out that the $700 Winter Energy Payment is, in fact, $413.66 for couples, $265.98 for singles, in 2018. Apparently, there is a little noticed clause in the announcement " When fully implemented, the annual payment will be......"

winner69
07-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Speaking of budgets, the weekend DomPost carried an article by financial commentator Janine Sparks pointing out that the $700 Winter Energy Payment is, in fact, $413.66 for couples, $265.98 for singles, in 2018. Apparently, there is a little noticed clause in the announcement " When fully implemented, the annual payment will be......"

Jeez that Jacinda is one big story teller eh

She said (promised) $700 and she only going to give us $413.66 this year .....what a diddle

And instead of starting May we have to wait to July ...another part of the promise broken

Like that bit in the article about how if people had to apply they assumed 20% wouldn’t bother so the sums were done and everybody had to take a 20% haircut....sneaky clever eh

Jacinda and her cronies just a pack of dishonest ratbags.

minimoke
07-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Speaking of budgets, the weekend DomPost carried an article by financial commentator Janine Sparks pointing out that the $700 Winter Energy Payment is, in fact, $413.66 for couples, $265.98 for singles, in 2018. Apparently, there is a little noticed clause in the announcement " When fully implemented, the annual payment will be......"If you go here (http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1707/Winter_Energy_Payment_factsheet.pdf) you will see Andrew Little very clealry promised $700 a year at a total cost of $374m. This was to help stop "Around 1,600 Kiwis die each year due to cold housing in winter."

If you go here (https://www.labour.org.nz/familiespackage) you will see Labour have budgeted $374m in the 2018/2019 year. So they have promised $700 in the upcoming financial year.

There is the issue of the "small Print" that the Labour plans will come into force on 1 July 2018. That is presumably when they will stop the 2017 Budget and replace it with their own plan. Trouble with this though is that the 2017 Budget was to drop personal income tax by approx $1,000. So if their Plan is to replace the 2017 budget on 1 July surely your tax should drop from 1 April to 30 June.

Never mind the promise and numbers are clear - $374m to the old folks for a $700 a week payment in the 2018/19 financial year. Stop the oldies from dying Labour - keep your promise!

winner69
07-05-2018, 01:03 PM
If you go here (http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1707/Winter_Energy_Payment_factsheet.pdf) you will see Andrew Little very clealry promised $700 a year at a total cost of $374m. This was to help stop "Around 1,600 Kiwis die each year due to cold housing in winter."

If you go here (https://www.labour.org.nz/familiespackage) you will see Labour have budgeted $374m in the 2018/2019 year. So they have promised $700 in the upcoming financial year.

There is the issue of the "small Print" that the Labour plans will come into force on 1 July 2018. That is presumably when they will stop the 2017 Budget and replace it with their own plan. Trouble with this though is that the 2017 Budget was to drop personal income tax by approx $1,000. So if their Plan is to replace the 2017 budget on 1 July surely your tax should drop from 1 April to 30 June.

Never mind the promise and numbers are clear - $374m to the old folks for a $700 a week payment in the 2018/19 financial year. Stop the oldies from dying Labour - keep your promise!

We should have kept an eye on Jacinda’s nose since she became the boss

Bill Clinton was a good nose guy .... when he was lying he touched it 26 times a minute ....never touched his nose when telling the truth

elZorro
07-05-2018, 08:47 PM
We should have kept an eye on Jacinda’s nose since she became the boss

Bill Clinton was a good nose guy .... when he was lying he touched it 26 times a minute ....never touched his nose when telling the truth

This item way back in Dec 2017 spells out the difference.

http://www.superseniors.msd.govt.nz/news-events/news/2017/winter-energy-payment.html

Yes, it's a bit less in the first year, maybe they're testing the idea to see how it goes, or the programmers couldn't action it fast enough. The pro rata rate is correct, for a superannuitant couple over the five months, it'll work out to a $700 rebate on power for the winter season next year.

elZorro
07-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Party donations for the 2017 elections were released yesterday, National (at around $4mill) must be a bit grumpy in that despite getting more than twice the amount Labour achieved, they couldn't hold onto power. Some interesting donors there.

http://www.elections.org.nz/sites/default/files/bulk-upload/documents/national_party_-_annual_return_2017.pdf

iceman
07-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Interesting that NZ First received $550,000 but has not disclosed a single donor

elZorro
07-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Interesting that NZ First received $550,000 but has not disclosed a single donor

Which makes them pretty poor at getting big donations, but efficient with the money. Most parties gathered in the majority of funds with smaller donations.

http://www.elections.org.nz/parties-candidates/registered-political-parties/party-donations-and-loans/party-donations-year/2017

fungus pudding
07-05-2018, 10:13 PM
This item way back in Dec 2017 spells out the difference.

http://www.superseniors.msd.govt.nz/news-events/news/2017/winter-energy-payment.html

Yes, it's a bit less in the first year, maybe they're testing the idea to see how it goes, or the programmers couldn't action it fast enough. The pro rata rate is correct, for a superannuitant couple over the five months, it'll work out to a $700 rebate on power for the winter season next year.

Nothing to do with power. I'm spending mine on drugs.

iceman
08-05-2018, 01:59 AM
Which makes them pretty poor at getting big donations, but efficient with the money. Most parties gathered in the majority of funds with smaller donations.

http://www.elections.org.nz/parties-candidates/registered-political-parties/party-donations-and-loans/party-donations-year/2017

Except that famous one from Owen Glenn. Wait, NO, they never got that one did they !

fungus pudding
08-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Except that famous one from Owen Glenn. Wait, NO, they never got that one did they !

Of course not. Winston even had a sign made to tell us that.

winner69
08-05-2018, 06:43 PM
The world is going to be over run with extra ‘diplomats’ from NZ

I bags Stockholm. You can have Niue mini ...bugger forgot the ex shoe salesman from Wellington has that job.

Well done Winnie

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12047550

blackcap
08-05-2018, 06:48 PM
The world is going to be over run with extra ‘diplomats’ from NZ

I bags Stockholm. You can have Niue mini ...bugger forgot the ex shoe salesman from Wellington has that job.

Well done Winnie

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12047550

Ah so that's where our power money has gone. Good one Labour!

winner69
08-05-2018, 06:55 PM

....and doctors visit money

It’s getting worse by the day ..wont be anything left by Budget day

minimoke
08-05-2018, 06:56 PM
That's where the doctor visit money had gone. Appalling!

winner69
08-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Even all those hundreds of millions won’t outspend China in the Pacific ...if that is Winnie’s objective.

stoploss
08-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Sad thing is as needy as the Pacific Islanders are after cyclones etc , there are plenty living here struggling day to day ….sad Labour don't see fit to put our own backyard in order first .

westerly
08-05-2018, 07:55 PM
If you go here (http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1707/Winter_Energy_Payment_factsheet.pdf) you will see Andrew Little very clealry promised $700 a year at a total cost of $374m. This was to help stop "Around 1,600 Kiwis die each year due to cold housing in winter."

Labour said they would introduce an energy payment but in both your quoted links no actual timing was given. Also the tax rebate was a National bribe and was not part of any Labour budget so you have your head inthe clouds expecting a tax cut from April to June.

westerly

minimoke
08-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Labour said they would introduce an energy payment but in both your quoted links no actual timing was given. Timing was given - it was very clear the money had been budgeted for the 2018/19 fiscal year. That obviously means the winter of 2018

To achieve this, in part Labour obviously had to increase the revenue side of the budget which meant putting my taxes up from 1 April 2018 from what they would otherwise have been

minimoke
08-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Sad thing is as needy as the Pacific Islanders are after cyclones etc , there are plenty living here struggling day to day ….sad Labour don't see fit to put our own backyard in order first .
Its a tough one. Here we have NZ full of povurdy, homeless people, people who cant afford a house, sick people who cant afford doctors visits and old people freezing to death in winter. Maybe rather than giving students a free year of partying that money could have been given to the Islands.

Baa_Baa
08-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Timing was given - it was very clear the money had been budgeted for the 2018/19 fiscal year. That obviously means the winter of 2018

To achieve this, in part Labour obviously had to increase the revenue side of the budget which meant putting my taxes up from 1 April 2018 from what they would otherwise have been

Maybe a technicality but the government FY begins July 1st, so was there budget FY17/18 for subsidies to begin, I doubt it? Or was/it always aligned to budget FY18/19 beginning July.

Strangely, mothers Super payments went up a few dollars the past three fornights. Energy subsidy kicking in or something else?

08-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Maybe a technicality but the government FY begins July 1st, so was there budget FY17/18 for subsidies to begin, I doubt it? Or was/it always aligned to budget FY18/19 beginning July.

Strangely, mothers Super payments went up a few dollars the past three fornights. Energy subsidy kicking in or something else?

Super adjusts first payment every April.

iceman
09-05-2018, 12:30 AM

Agree stoploss. Lets look after our own first. Why for example did previous Government give millions to the Clinton Foundation to strut around Africa for themselves and this Government has just given extra money to them after Hillary met Jacinda. What an absolute waste of taxpayers money

minimoke
09-05-2018, 07:09 AM
Heard Willie Jackson yesterday. Answering a question about the Labour shortage in the Hawkes Bay (?) Apparently all the unemployed people cant work because of housing issues, family and community responsibilities. Judith Collins shot back "but its OK for us to bring in Pacific Islanders". Shes quick, got to give her that.

BlackPeter
09-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Labour said they would introduce an energy payment but in both your quoted links no actual timing was given. Also the tax rebate was a National bribe and was not part of any Labour budget so you have your head inthe clouds expecting a tax cut from April to June.

westerly

You mean next time voters better read the fine print before voting for any out of Labour, their watermelon appendix or Winston First?

You are right - one never can be careful enough and obviously this time the voters slipped. Ouch ...

Your post is an outstanding reminder for the next elections. Labour is just tricky and can't be trusted. The only thing we can rely on is that they raise taxes (even if they say they don't) and waste our money. This is just who they are.

Bjauck
09-05-2018, 11:09 AM
I'm still staggered that $600,000 and $140,000 family income is the new standard for an affordable first house. I would have thought a target should be closer to $300,000 and $65,000 in income.

Time for Govt to incentivise old folks to move from their house into a SUM or RYM village I guess people have to feed, clothe and pay for transport, dentistry, medicine and for necessities for themselves as well as pay for a shelter...

The trouble is in NZ, owner-occupied housing is a most tax effective place to invest your nest egg, with historically impressive returns on owners equity (too bad for those who have not been able to afford to buy their own homes?). And that probably explains why it is one of the most expensive residential housing markets. I think that there is little incentive for oldies to downsize and invest their surplus equity into tax-paying financial investments.

iceman
12-05-2018, 04:33 PM
"Kiwibuild", starting to look like an abject failure of a "policy" ? Duncan Garner certainly thinks so https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/103843906/duncan-garner-if-twyford-cant-phil-us-in-on-kiwibuybuild-who-can

winner69
12-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Hope they’ve left the booze at home ...

https://twitter.com/andykirton/status/995112735246467073

minimoke
12-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Hope they’ve left the booze at home ...

https://twitter.com/andykirton/status/995112735246467073Dont worry, its Tamati's electorate.

elZorro
15-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Jacinda was impressive on TV3 this morning, talking about the Mycoplasma-Bovis infection pattern in NZ.

As this link to DairyNZ shows, it's a nasty permanent infection for cows, and has a gestation period making it difficult to preempt. Luckily it's not windborne.

https://www.dairynz.co.nz/animal/cow-health/mycoplasma-bovis/

If we can eradicate it in NZ, it would presumably mean a return to lower overheads and reduced herd replacement rates. But in the meantime it'll be a large expense for the industry and the taxpayer. On the positive side it'll probably mean we'll see increased demarcation of stock on farms, more attention paid to boisecurity and the NAIT process. It's a real wonder we haven't seen some new diseases come in with palm kernel and the like.

Along with other good things this new govt is doing already, I feel more reassured that we'll end up with the best obtainable result for dairy farmers and the country as a whole.

fungus pudding
15-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Jacinda was impressive on TV3 this morning, talking about the Mycoplasma-Bovis infection pattern in NZ.

As this link to DairyNZ shows, it's a nasty permanent infection for cows, and has a gestation period making it difficult to preempt. Luckily it's not windborne.

https://www.dairynz.co.nz/animal/cow-health/mycoplasma-bovis/

If we can eradicate it in NZ, it would presumably mean a return to lower overheads and reduced herd replacement rates. But in the meantime it'll be a large expense for the industry and the taxpayer. On the positive side it'll probably mean we'll see increased demarcation of stock on farms, more attention paid to boisecurity and the NAIT process. It's a real wonder we haven't seen some new diseases come in with palm kernel and the like.

Along with other good things this new govt is doing already, I feel more reassured that we'll end up with the best obtainable result for dairy farmers and the country as a whole.

Do these 'good things' include all the waffle of the naive trio of Hipkins, Twyford and Lees Galloway? Surely you must see them as a total embarrasment to your beloved Labour mob! Not to mention the embarrasment to the coaltion generously provided by Shane Jones, the 100,000,000 tree man.

Bjauck
15-05-2018, 04:54 PM
A reprise of Clark's Interest free loans scheme for lower income earners to buy housing? Wouldn't that further inflate the housing market making it even more expensive in relation to NZ income levels?

Owner occupied housing is not necessarily the optimum course for many. Rental accommodation may actually be a preferable way to secure accommodation for many single people, those without children, and for those who travel or have to relocate often for work.

Vagabond47
15-05-2018, 05:25 PM
A reprise of Clark's Interest free loans scheme for lower income earners to buy housing? Wouldn't that further inflate the housing market making it even more expensive in relation to NZ income levels?

Owner occupied housing is not necessarily the optimum course for many. Rental accommodation may actually be a preferable way to secure accommodation for many single people, those without children, and for those who travel or have to relocate often for work.

Yep, they dun gone and <bleeped> up. Kiwibuild was a good idea if executed properly, then they decided to buy rather than build. Not so good, they just set a price floor. Now KiwiFreeLoan.. such a dumb idea. Glad i didn't vote for them.

elZorro
15-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Yep, they dun gone and <bleeped> up. Kiwibuild was a good idea if executed properly, then they decided to buy rather than build. Not so good, they just set a price floor. Now KiwiFreeLoan.. such a dumb idea. Glad i didn't vote for them.

You should wait for a bit to see the real effort going in on Kiwibuild, I'm sure it won't be all just buying houses off the plans. They have already bought a large block of land in Auckland. I had a look for Kiwifreeloan, and it seems to be a made-up word, some sort of fake news? Maybe it's speculation over the budget. But with current lending at just over 6% fixed, floating around 4.5%, interest rates are already historically low. The US tried that a while back on a large scale, resulted in the GFC.

You say you're glad you didn't vote for the coalition. Does that mean you have no intention of getting inline with the new govt, and is that a reasonable response? They'll be in power for at least six years, probably nine. It's a long time to hold a grudge, Vagabond47 :).

elZorro
15-05-2018, 06:55 PM

I'm pleased that two single people I know have both bought houses, one has paid it off and bought a rental, the other has a good capital gain and some reserves in place that they otherwise wouldn't have with their usual lifestyle. Another older single person I know is on the dole, in a block flat and unable to run a vehicle. This person's choices are extremely limited, and in the past they've effectively paid off a rental with rent payments. So, many people don't have flash jobs with travel, they stay in the same area for decades, they are at the whim of landlords. It doesn't suit everyone, it's not the best result for everyone.

fungus pudding
15-05-2018, 08:02 PM
You should wait for a bit to see the real effort going in on Kiwibuild, I'm sure it won't be all just buying houses off the plans. They have already bought a large block of land in Auckland. I had a look for Kiwifreeloan, and it seems to be a made-up word, some sort of fake news? Maybe it's speculation over the budget. But with current lending at just over 6% fixed, floating around 4.5%, interest rates are already historically low. The US tried that a while back on a large scale, resulted in the GFC.

You say you're glad you didn't vote for the coalition. Does that mean you have no intention of getting inline with the new govt, and is that a reasonable response? They'll be in power for at least six years, probably nine. It's a long time to hold a grudge, Vagabond47 :).

What on earth is meant by 'getting in line with the new govt'?

Vagabond47
15-05-2018, 08:38 PM

I don't have a grudge, I almost voted for Labour. I'm just astounded how incompetent they are proving to be. I didn't think they'd be much better than the Nats but this is amazingly poor so far.

In power 6 or 9 years? Not unless they start accomplishing something useful. I was happy when Winston put Labour in, thought they might make some positive changes and didn't have their heads in the sand about the housing issues, they announced kiwibuild and I thought this is positive.. but they were pretty vague about it.

Then the oil/gas exploration announcement.. just a dumb regressive announcement, not coupled to any actual progress on renewable energy. Now they are looking at getting us taxpayers further in debt to subsidise overpriced housing for the select few that meet whatever criteria they set on this scheme, instead of doing things that bring down the prices of houses (like feed the AUP into a shredder and remove most of the daft restrictions)

Sorry, but so far they get a C grade, with a D well in sight.

JBmurc
15-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Can't wait for the Budget >>

Have to agree with you Vagabond >> have voted generally to the center-right>> most elections ...but this last one I was actually looking forward to seeing a new Govt just to change the direction NZ was heading ...at present NZ looks leaderless on both sides these two new liberal leaning leaders don't seem to have any answers or real direction ....

elZorro
15-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Can't agree with you two on that. This coalition is getting the data together, they'll make good bold policies when they have checked their facts. Labour always leaves some great changes in place when they are in power. Just the latest I heard on the radio today, more smart spending to correct the penny-pinching Nats effort.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1805/S00176/growing-up-in-new-zealand-welcomes-funding-announcement.htm

winner69
17-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Well that Bridges has just made a fool of himself in his reply to the budget speech

Only comment I make on the Budget at this point in time is that its good that buying a nice looking horse is now tax deductible

craic
17-05-2018, 04:06 PM
new budget with lower doctors costs and the heating payments gives me about $1,100 a year in total. I will be able to save this much towards my old age which is very close. I might even stretch to a new chainsaw. Winston Peters will be saving for his old age - he hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell of getting back in next time. I know a heap of his voters - I was one once - and they all voted for him as a right-wing controller. Someone who would keep National away from excesses.

Joshuatree
17-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Great attitude re your old age which is close craic:). And do you really need a new chainsaw after your last episode, sounds excessive, how about donating to the food bank instead.. Talking about excess, this budget is so far from excessive craic , prudent is more accurate. Enjoy your whiskey but dont mix it with politics:)

Zaphod
17-05-2018, 07:23 PM
new budget with lower doctors costs and the heating payments gives me about $1,100 a year in total. I will be able to save this much towards my old age which is very close. I might even stretch to a new chainsaw. Winston Peters will be saving for his old age - he hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell of getting back in next time. I know a heap of his voters - I was one once - and they all voted for him as a right-wing controller. Someone who would keep National away from excesses.

My relatives were set to spend their winter cash bonus on a holiday, but it turns out that the $750 promised shrunk dramatically this year. Perhaps I'll follow your example and suggest they buy a chainsaw :)

minimoke
18-05-2018, 10:52 AM
I got served with a ban after the Election after making a comment on the Maori Party voters.

Well, whaddya know. They got didly squat in the budget. Just as I said. (opops time in JoyCamp must be wearing off. Bags packed for another visit)

fungus pudding
18-05-2018, 11:20 AM
I got served with a ban after the Election after making a comment on the Maori Party voters.

What was your comment? :D

ratkin
18-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Have to laugh at National complaining Labour did not spend enough money

Joshuatree
18-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Lol yes, saving that firepower for the next 2 budgets.

elZorro
18-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Have to laugh at National complaining Labour did not spend enough money

The coalition did keep their word on R&D tax credits, these being open to all businesses doing the defined R&D.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1805/S00232/rd-businesses-big-winners-from-budget-2018.htm

The rate will be 12.5% of the valid expenses refunded as a tax refund. I haven't had a good look at the fine print yet, but it's available on the web and they're looking for submissions on the exact format by 1st June.

As a small business owner in this sort of area, I'm a bit perturbed by the start amount, a firm now needs to spend $100,000 on applicable R&D in a financial year, before they can claim anything back. It's about the equivalent of one full-time researcher (wages at cost, overheads at cost, parts used at cost). This will reduce the amount of claims considerably, and brings it into line with a replacement of the lower level Callaghan funding. Without the same hurdles though. You won't have to prove how well you've been going for the last x years and all the rest of it. So it's more accessible, but still has a significant hurdle in funds that must be deployed first. Since there are few products that can be developed for under a few $100k anyway, it's not a problem if the small firm does development quickly, not so good if they want to take a few years doing it out of leftover cashflow.

There is no real upper limit on how much a firm can spend on R&D and claim some back, but they can't use another Callaghan Fund as well. Most of the big spenders will be looking at the 50% grant funds that need a lot more paperwork.

Anyway, firms are encouraged to file a submission.

iceman
18-05-2018, 09:04 PM
I agree EZ that this was a good idea but the policy seems to be ill thought out, unless they are targeting assistance to the likes of Spark, Vodafone, Xero etc. Sadly, most of the small startups will fail 2 of the criteria, the $100,000 p.a. expenditure requirement and they need to be very profitable to gain from a tax credit. This policy sadly is a fail.

elZorro
19-05-2018, 09:15 AM
I agree EZ that this was a good idea but the policy seems to be ill thought out, unless they are targeting assistance to the likes of Spark, Vodafone, Xero etc. Sadly, most of the small startups will fail 2 of the criteria, the $100,000 p.a. expenditure requirement and they need to be very profitable to gain from a tax credit. This policy sadly is a fail.

It can't be a fail, Iceman, as it hasn't started yet. In fact the submissions have been pre-structured into 23 questions that should be answered.

Q15 states: "Is the minimum threshold set at the right level? If 'no', please provide further details.

Here is a link to the files. http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/science-innovation/rd-tax-incentive

Considering even the likes of farmer-funded DairyNZ can apply for this credit from taxpayers, I think it's important that smaller businesses, of which there are many tens of thousands in NZ, can also access a small credit for their true R&D activities. They shouldn't need to get to say 3-4 staff before they can afford to spend $100,000 a year on R&D. A setting like $50,000 might be more suitable as a threshold if they really want to include small businesses. The credit for that amount is $6250 off your tax bill, which starts to make it a worthwhile exercise for the business owner to do the report/claim, and it would also be a valuable source of R&D data for the govt.

SMEs should send in submissions, there is an online or postal system for it.

I must note that the annual threshold of $100,000 only applies if a firm carries out their own R&D. There is no threshold if they use an external "approved provider".

iceman
22-05-2018, 10:14 AM
You're right EZ. Minister Woods has been interviewed on NBR and was asked many questions about the R&D policy. According to the NBR, her headline response to each was "good question but its under consultation until June 1".
So basically yet another policy without detail and no doubt they will appoint a group to talk about it.
Does this Government actually have any working policies other than Winston's $ 1 Billion for Diplomats, $1 Billion p.a. for Shane Jones and many millions for the racehorse industry ?
None of Labour's big ideas seem to be happening !

elZorro
23-05-2018, 07:53 AM
You're right EZ. Minister Woods has been interviewed on NBR and was asked many questions about the R&D policy. According to the NBR, her headline response to each was "good question but its under consultation until June 1".
So basically yet another policy without detail and no doubt they will appoint a group to talk about it.
Does this Government actually have any working policies other than Winston's $ 1 Billion for Diplomats, $1 Billion p.a. for Shane Jones and many millions for the racehorse industry ?
None of Labour's big ideas seem to be happening !

I think they're being cautious. The 2008 R&D tax credit was openly audited, or had the probability of being audited by IRD. I would have been one of the smaller businesses accessing the credit that year. When mine was approved, the person from the office said that only 300 businesses had applied for the credit at that stage, although they were pleasantly surprised at the range of R&D activities. Patent applications that year were higher than usual. Note that there are over 528,000 enterprises in NZ.

Now the tax records are out and people are commenting on them (IRD, 2010). For that 2008 R&D year, $154mill was paid out in tax credits, so for those firms at the 15% rate that applied, they'd done just over $1bill of R&D. It also means the average claim was $513,000 for $3.42mill of R&D. These are not average firms, then. Since NZ's GDP is about $285Bill, and the OECD average is 2.8% of GDP spent on R&D, the tax credits were for $1Bill, when the OECD target is $8Bill. Labour's target is 2% or $5.7Bill.

Maybe more than 300 businesses claimed. But in any case, I suspect it was mainly those already at the top of the pile who accessed most of the tax refund. Some of these would be listed companies, companies that accessed other R&D grants for other work at a higher grant rate. Stuart Nash is still reported recently, saying that the new R&D tax credit scheme will be accessible to many enterprises that would not easily fit in the existing system of R&D grants (with their high hurdles to jump).

In the spirit of R&D tax credits for SMEs, I hope he also means the smaller end of the business sector, and that he doesn't assume those businesses are inept when it comes to doing their own moderately risky R&D.

The government is also intending to phase out Callaghan's Growth Grants, which are for 20% of R&D work carried out by large firms in general, and put them into the 12.5% R&D tax credit area. So there will be a saving there, to help fund the R&D tax credits.

It looks like a lot of the policy settings are up for testing with submissions, so I will find it interesting to see if there are any changes made in the final R&D policy.

winner69
24-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Phil said he ‘wasn’t thinking straight’

So what’s new, he never ‘thinks straight’ — so should be let off

At least he’s got one less department to stuff up.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104196693/minister-phil-twyford-apologies-for-civil-aviation-breach

elZorro
24-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Phil said he ‘wasn’t thinking straight’

So what’s new, he never ‘thinks straight’ — so should be let off

At least he’s got one less department to stuff up.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104196693/minister-phil-twyford-apologies-for-civil-aviation-breach

Phil spotted and reported by Judith Collins? The Nats are trying everything at the moment. How they must hate being out of power.

Lame David Bennett, the MP for Hamilton East apparently, was eventually forced to withdraw and apologise in the house today, twice. Those episodes at least kept the opposition embarrassed and quiet, for a few long seconds. Finally there's a speaker who will enforce the rules. Doesn't suit Paula Bennett of course. She's keen on the House being more "robust". She was booted out again today, also in this clip.

https://youtu.be/MwWRUIYHO5M

Ex-lawyer Bridges has been asked directly by the press if he has spoken to all the National MPs that may have made a sexist comment about the PM. He'd forgotten if he had or not. The names mentioned included David Bennett. I heard a radio interview once where MP David Bennett was asked about his thoughts on Helen Clark. He blustered away a bit, digging a hole until the interviewer suggested he sounded like a misogynist. He shut up pretty quickly.

24-05-2018, 10:00 PM
So Judith Collins was meant to just accept the breach. Twyford should be hit with fine for the breach. And eZ, Labour are trying, very trying. That statement was pathetic, not what you normally write. Leave that for your couple of followers. It is more their level.

Joshuatree
24-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Petty, disruptive, churlish , nasty behaviour by national in parliament lately. They are acting desperately.Shame 99% of kiwis dont get to see this.

fungus pudding
25-05-2018, 01:30 AM
So Judith Collins was meant to just accept the breach. Twyford should be hit with fine for the breach. And eZ, Labour are trying, very trying. That statement was pathetic, not what you normally write. Leave that for your couple of followers. It is more their level.

The P.M had her chance here but didn't take it. She will live to regret that.

minimoke
25-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Petty, disruptive, churlish , nasty behaviour by national in parliament lately. They are acting desperately.Shame 99% of kiwis dont get to see this.What they arent seeing is Headmaster Mallard. Hes let the power go to his head with his "naughty boy you loose two Supplementaries" behaviour. As for him "hearing" things ("Stupid Little Girl", there are pills for that kind of thing - but you dont go to the media telling them you are hearing things.

elZorro
25-05-2018, 08:05 AM

I didn't write anything that I don't firmly believe, or know to be true. The MP for Hamilton East was only given some smaller portfolios in the latter end of three terms in government, now he's on the opposition benches. Read into that what you will, he's not going anywhere too quickly.

I don't know what size aircraft Twyford was on, but generally cellphone use is restricted on IFR operations (instruments) but smaller aircraft use VFR (visual). It's once a cellphone is in the air and actively using quad frequency bands to try to talk to numerous cellphone towers, that it's more risky and creating possible interference.

https://www.pilotworkshop.com/tips/airplane_cell_phone

It's certainly a warning to all of us that cellphones should be on flight/aircraft mode as we enter an aircraft.

iceman
25-05-2018, 08:25 AM
I didn't write anything that I don't firmly believe, or know to be true. The MP for Hamilton East was only given some smaller portfolios in the latter end of three terms in government, now he's on the opposition benches. Read into that what you will, he's not going anywhere too quickly.

I don't know what size aircraft Twyford was on, but generally cellphone use is restricted on IFR operations (instruments) but smaller aircraft use VFR (visual). It's once a cellphone is in the air and actively using quad frequency bands to try to talk to numerous cellphone towers, that it's more risky and creating possible interference.

It's certainly a warning to all of us that cellphones should be on flight/aircraft mode as we enter an aircraft.

It doesn't matter what size aircraft he was on. They'd been told to turn off their phones and he didn't. Jacinda sacked him from the Civil Aviation portfolio which is a good indication he did something he shouldn't have !

minimoke
25-05-2018, 08:30 AM

.None of that means didly squat. Twyford broke the rules. He should expect at least to be stood down during the investigation as this is what he wanted of Brownlie in 2014. After the investigation he should get at least a $2,000 fine which is what Brownlie got.

(As an aside I'm not sure I really want to be flying any more with Julie Ann Genter now the Minister. She going to have conniptions when she sees its pretty much men flying planes.)

25-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Your knowledge of aviation is extremely low so to me that indicates that any of your opinions of other matters is also at that level and can be ignored.

25-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Petty, disruptive, churlish , nasty behaviour by national in parliament lately. They are acting desperately.Shame 99% of kiwis dont get to see this.

Panic setting in JT? If this had been a National Party offender you would have been the first one screaming for blood.

winner69
25-05-2018, 09:02 AM

C’mon jt - Seems much like the last 9 years ....and the 8 years before that

Joshuatree
25-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Ive only looked at snippets in the past, but yes it does seem similar, except less humour more rancour. Its a concerted planned malicious attack from National though through Brownlee, pushing buttons and boundaries, parliament/we dont need it . Mallard wants to clean it up with better behaviour and more decency and efficiency.
And National are ahead on the extra questions count thanks mainly to Jones's snipes. But ironic in that Mallard was one of the culprits in past years. And he needs to resolve the"stupid little girl" issue one way or the other...

National are between a rock and a hard place and with less privileges, access to info etc, it must be pretty galling, frustrating for them after 9 years having those things. But to the public their behaviour is reinforcing the worst stereotype about politicians when they see this bitchiness.

westerly
25-05-2018, 06:20 PM
The P.M had her chance here but didn't take it. She will live to regret that.

The previous PM had his chance with the MP for Ilam and there are many who regret his lack of action.

westerly

fungus pudding
25-05-2018, 07:53 PM
The previous PM had his chance with the MP for Ilam and there are many who regret his lack of action.

westerly
The mp for Ilam did not pretend to be the god of the building 8ndustry.

winner69
25-05-2018, 08:12 PM

........and better with numbers than the kids down at Treasury

See recently he ha started using big words like liquidity as well .....like balaming the banks for not providing this liquidity by lending zillions to developers .....at the same time Robertson is probably imploring the banks through Orr not to get into reckless lending on property developments

Baa_Baa
25-05-2018, 08:28 PM

National are the opposition, it is their responsibility to challenge the government, perhaps you have forgotten that Labour suffered nine years of it and are destined to return to it - it is inevitable as is the cycle of power, but apparently their behaviour was OK during that time whereas similar behaviours by National are not.

You should school yourself on how parliament works, how the House works and why it works that way, it is democracy in action, whether you like the process or not. Pick on something with meaning and substance, it's easy although unfortunately distracting to be drawn into commentating on the 'behaviours' of parliament, as it has little do per se with power or challenging power.

Look through the rhetoric and bluster to the message and the intent, as well as the response, as you might find it intriguing instead of being caught up in the process and demonstrating your naivety of the 'show' that surrounds it.

Joshuatree
25-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Read my 2nd post and keep your lectures to the mirror in front of you.

Watch some of the question times and watch for nationals likely vote of no confidence in the speaker. Like i said a desperate party, stooping imo.

blackcap
26-05-2018, 07:05 AM
Read my 2nd post and keep your lectures to the mirror in front of you.

Watch some of the question times and watch for nationals likely vote of no confidence in the speaker. Like i said a desperate party, stooping imo.

I dunnu, that Twitford fello looks pretty desperate to me as well and now it seems he has been a naughty boy again. Jacinda needs to ball up and fire him.

fungus pudding
26-05-2018, 08:28 AM
I dunnu, that Twitford fello looks pretty desperate to me as well and now it seems he has been a naughty boy again. Jacinda needs to ball up and fire him.

It'll happen. Just a matter of time.

westerly
26-05-2018, 06:28 PM

Maybe not, but he was certainly god of the ChCh rebuild *ndustry.

westerly

fungus pudding
26-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Maybe not, but he was certainly god of the ChCh rebuild *ndustry.

westerly

Twyford and Labour are trying to outdo the loaves and fishes biblical fairytale,with an attempt to turn two porkies into a billion trees and 100,000 houses.

elZorro
27-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Twyford and Labour are trying to outdo the loaves and fishes biblical fairytale,with an attempt to turn two porkies into a billion trees and 100,000 houses.

It's all working out fine so far, National would be unable to take power if an election were to be held today. And Simon Bridges is not too popular in the PM stakes. Jacinda's popularity can only increase from here, surely.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/05/simon-bridges-failing-to-connect-with-voters-newshub-poll.html

BlackPeter
28-05-2018, 08:55 AM
It's all working out fine so far, National would be unable to take power if an election were to be held today. And Simon Bridges is not too popular in the PM stakes. Jacinda's popularity can only increase from here, surely.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/05/simon-bridges-failing-to-connect-with-voters-newshub-poll.html

All honky dory for Labour? Hardly ...

Winston First won't make it back to parliament - and deserved so (One down ...);

Greenies are clutching at straws (and within the statistical uncertainty) to keep over the 5% ... and lets face it, why would any Leftie vote for Green if they can have the original as well? Only difference is that Green will make under any circumstances no difference at all ...

Bridges ... sure, looks like he still has some work ahead ... but than, so did Little last time;) and look where Labour is today :p;

Seriously - EZ, I don't see what you would like in this survey, unless you hope as well for a sensible and stable conservative government come next election.

fungus pudding
28-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Jacinda's popularity can only increase from here, surely.

Strange comment. It can go either way, and very unlikely to increase, apart from a temporary blip when the oohing and aahing over the baby kicks in.

winner69
28-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Strange comment. It can go either way, and very unlikely to increase, apart from a temporary blip when the oohing and aahing over the baby kicks in.

If it’s a girl bonus points in the polls

Jay
28-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Which ever party is in, generally speaking the leader of the opposition is always lower (usually not even close) than the incumbent Prime Minister, if it was under 5% and/or someone else from another party (other than the incumbent party) was higher then maybe something to talk about. Off course there are exceptions to every rule!

westerly
28-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Bridges ... sure, looks like he still has some work ahead ... but than, so did Little last time;) and look where Labour is today

You are predicting Bridges is on the way out.? Judith will be pleased

westerly

BlackPeter
28-05-2018, 12:19 PM
You are predicting Bridges is on the way out.? Judith will be pleased

westerly

Did I mention Judith? Good thing about National is that they have plenty of talent ... not a one one-trick-pony party like Labor ;p;

Bjauck
28-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Did I mention Judith? Good thing about National is that they have plenty of talent ... not a one one-trick-pony party like Labor ;p; I was surprised that National did not go for Crusher instead of what's his name...

BlackPeter
28-05-2018, 01:10 PM
I was surprised that National did not go for Crusher instead of what's his name...

Come on - you are not reading westerly's posts :p ?

And while Judith certainly has lots of talent, I don't think she would be Nationals best bet ... too divisive. Similar like Trump, just younger, better looking, much more intelligent and honest. However - she might be instrumental in getting the current government down.

craic
28-05-2018, 02:03 PM
The way I see things at the moment National don't have to do or say much. Just leave those in power to flounder on. They can have a good rest and let the press scratch around in the confusion for things to throw at the government - there are more than enough. Winston Peters will eventually have to find someone to fight with. Hawkes Bay is well down the list when the millions were distributed for whatever reason but as provinces go, we are fairly self-sufficient - we even convert bad earthquakes into profitable international events.

westerly
28-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Did I mention Judith? Good thing about National is that they have plenty of talent ... not a one one-trick-pony party like Labor ;p;

Sorry, I didn't realise i could only comment on those actually mentioned in your post. :)

westerly

Joshuatree
28-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Winston sure does well here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...inister-winston-peters-visits-beijing/9805466 (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-28/new-zealand-anti-china-minister-winston-peters-visits-beijing/9805466)

minimoke
28-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Labour now embarking on the wholesale murder of 180,000 cows in a attempt to eradicate M Bovis which will fail.

craic
28-05-2018, 05:02 PM
That's a big win for the greens. This huge reduction in cow farts will impress the Chinese no end and create and for the trees that will probably be planted by the chinese with the governments permission. And, a special permit to bring in Chinese labour to do the job. M Bovis will continue to be found 'till the endof time.

blackcap
28-05-2018, 05:03 PM
That's a big win for the greens. This huge reduction in cow farts will impress the Chinese no end and create and for the trees that will probably be planted by the chinese with the governments permission. And, a special permit to bring in Chinese labour to do the job. M Bovis will continue to be found 'till the endof time.

Those cows will just be replaced by heifers. Ie the heifer cull and or older cows that would be culled will now be kept for another year so our cow numbers would be the same as always surely?

jonu
28-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Those cows will just be replaced by heifers. Ie the heifer cull and or older cows that would be culled will now be kept for another year so our cow numbers would be the same as always surely?

It can't be as clear cut as that for each farmer. If his herd is infected it's culled, there won't be any selecting. Across the national herd it may balance out a little.

Joshuatree
28-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Best wishes to farmers and all to create a world first and eradicate. Having had it for only two years gives some hope they can, other countries had it for a decade or two before they even knew they had it ive read.Also hope all farmers do their best cooperating or it will fail. Very emotive and unsupportive item on the news by the couple who got a days grace, selfish even.

fungus pudding
28-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Who will be first to get Jacinda's boot? Hipkins, Curran, or Twyford? What do you think eZ? You know how I value your opinion.

elZorro
28-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Best wishes to farmers and all to create a world first and eradicate. Having had it for only two years gives some hope they can, other countries had it for a decade or two before they even knew they had it ive read.Also hope all farmers do their best cooperating or it will fail. Very emotive and unsupportive item on the news by the couple who got a days grace, selfish even.

Yes, what's important now is that MB is not allowed to spread in NZ. I can see farmers might preempt this by creating a fenced buffer on their boundaries. No calf club days, lambs only. Other species besides bovines are not thought to be significant carriers for any period of time. At least once a dairy farm is cleared of animals, it can be disinfected and allowed to rest for 60 days, then restocked. The MB bacterium doesn't survive for long in the ground, but prefers moist environments. It could have come in with imported feed, but that's considered unlikely. It may have come in on second-hand imported equipment. That might line up with the fact that only one strain of the bacterium has been identified so far. Calves being fed infected milk from an infected herd can easily get the disease. MPI are scanning milk samples from every herd in the country to pick up any outliers, although it's not foolproof. Monitored farms will need all contractors and goods/vehicles going on and off the property to be disinfected. This is a huge wakeup for the farming sector, but let's hope that no-one ever disparages or bypasses NAIT again, and that prompt action from this government and the farming sector will eradicate the infection.

JBmurc
28-05-2018, 08:34 PM
I was surprised that National did not go for Crusher instead of what's his name...

I think they will in time aka do a labor last minute change pre-election ...Labour will certainly continue to TAX and spend..... well till the Property market tips up ...

elZorro
29-05-2018, 07:35 AM
The tax working group are making steady progress.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/104262446/capital-gains-tax-sensible-and-fair-for-nz-says-oecd-official?utm_source=ST&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ShareTrader+AM+Update+for+Tuesday+29+ May+2018

29-05-2018, 07:39 AM
The tax working group are making steady progress.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/104262446/capital-gains-tax-sensible-and-fair-for-nz-says-oecd-official?utm_source=ST&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ShareTrader+AM+Update+for+Tuesday+29+ May+2018

I would hope so. They are paid enough.

Investor
29-05-2018, 08:21 AM

I didn't realise the Labour party had any talented politicians.

fungus pudding
29-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Don't feel bad about that. Most people don't.

BlackPeter
29-05-2018, 08:51 AM

Fair enough ... though - Cindy is pretty talented to throw money around. A billion here (taxpayer funded cow slaughter), nearly a billion there (winter subsidies), a handful of billions to pop up free education, a quarter of a billion there (just increased pay offer to nurses), add some more billions for all the other pay demands in the pipeline - hey, here is money for everybody - I heard teachers are dreaming already about two digit pay rises (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11929440 - which no doubt will increase the demands of nurses again) ... and suddenly it looks like real money ;);

No worries - Cindy has another talent - she is really good in rising taxes ;);

Looks like I was even a bit harsh in assessing this young and multi talented Labor politician. Great in spreading money around and talented in rising taxes - these are already two tricks for this pony :p;

winner69
29-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Our man Phil on the ball again when talking to Epsom people - "If you don't want to have affordable housing or quality density housing in your neighbourhood, you go and live in Pokeno or Dairy Flat."

Is Pokeno a nice place?

Joshuatree
29-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Does anyone here truly begrudge teachers and nurses pay rise.? If so you are miserable excuse for a human being imo.

artemis
30-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Does anyone here truly begrudge teachers and nurses pay rise.? If so you are miserable excuse for a human being imo.

It depends. On whether people think certain professions should get more pay because of? What? Inflation? CPI? Feelz? Or because they are paid by the taxpayer who can afford to pay?

elZorro
30-05-2018, 07:37 AM
Prof Peter Gluckman has been kept on as the govt's chief science advisor, and the recent report on the negligible effect of smoked meth residue in houses is going to help the homeless situation.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104287037/the-meth-house-is-a-myth-theres-no-risk-from-drug-smoking-residue-govt-report-finds

Go to any state house area around NZ and there are empty houses, sometimes just one small house with no garage, on a full quarter acre section. While some are being infilled, others turned into about four units over two sections, there is plenty of scope here without having to bring new services to the boundary.

If you are delivering little 'messages of hope' (Labour pamphlets!) to such streets, you can't help noticing unattended letterboxes, unattended everything. Having these empty houses here is not a good thing, it can't be helping.

jonu
30-05-2018, 09:20 AM

Apparently Labour does

BlackPeter
30-05-2018, 09:30 AM

Generalizations are always wrong. No doubt there are teachers and nurses who are worth more than they are paid. No doubt, there are others who are already now overvalued. I do know examples for both categories and I am sure so do you.

Rising all salaries in a profession however is brain dead. Nurses want to earn as much as teachers now. Teachers want to get a 2 digit pay rise. No doubt nurses will want to catch up with that as well. No doubt bus drivers and policemen feel underpaid as well (particularly if nurses and teachers get their pay rise). No doubt our council workers all earn a pay rise and so do all people working in retail and in the industry. And don't forget hospitality staff - doing very important work and getting paid peanuts. They need to be paid properly for their important work (no kidding). What about all the other service industries and what about farmers?

Just guess how we will end up? A big pay rise for everybody. If not - whom do you intend to pay less? Never mind that somebody will need to pay for all these additional dollars paid out - Goods and taxes will go up in step. Nobody will have more at the end, it is just that more (nominal) dollars will buy less.

Never mind - lets try it again - shall we?

They call that inflation. Great policy!

Joshuatree
30-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Been 10 years for nurses and what 16 years for teachers since they've had decent increases. I think the majority of folks support them(re 65% in an informal poll i saw recently for teachers), essential workers undervalued for too long, fact.

minimoke
30-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Been 10 years for nurses and what 16 years for teachers since they've had decent increases. I think the majority of folks support them(re 65% in an informal poll i saw recently for teachers), essential workers undervalued for too long, fact. Undervalued? isnt value measured by what an amount a willing employer is prepared to pay against an amount a willing worker ir prepared to receive.

minimoke
30-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Nurses want to earn as much as teachers now. !Simple solution. If nurses want to earn as much as teachers then they should become teachers.

fungus pudding
30-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Generalizations are always wrong. No doubt there are teachers and nurses who are worth more than they are paid. No doubt, there are others who are already now overvalued. I do know examples for both categories and I am sure so do you.

Rising all salaries in a profession however is brain dead. Nurses want to earn as much as teachers now. Teachers want to get a 2 digit pay rise. No doubt nurses will want to catch up with that as well. No doubt bus drivers and policemen feel underpaid as well (particularly if nurses and teachers get their pay rise). No doubt our council workers all earn a pay rise and so do all people working in retail and in the industry. And don't forget hospitality staff - doing very important work and getting paid peanuts. They need to be paid properly for their important work (no kidding). What about all the other service industries and what about farmers?

Just guess how we will end up? A big pay rise for everybody. If not - whom do you intend to pay less? Never mind that somebody will need to pay for all these additional dollars paid out - Goods and taxes will go up in step. Nobody will have more at the end, it is just that more (nominal) dollars will buy less.

Never mind - lets try it again - shall we?

They call that inflation. Great policy!

Yeah - reminiscent of the sixties and seventies. Hyperinflation, vicious unions, stikes, strikes, strikes. A horrible time in our history. Let's hope we don't see a return of those times, but with some of the noises coming out of Labour I'm not holding out too much hope.

minimoke
30-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Its all getting a bit scary. Where did the DHB's suddenly find all this money which isnt in the budget for a pay settlement. Just a sniff of a strike and govt comes up with more money. So what are the teachers going to do, what are public servants going to do. MPI under more pressure, Immigration under more pressure, housing under more pressure - all equals more pay demands. And you have Labour who are firmly of the view union involvement is an absolute must and industry awards are the way to go. I see the 70's nice and clearly.

winner69
30-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Yeah - reminiscent of the sixties and seventies. Hyperinflation, vicious unions, stikes, strikes, strikes. A horrible time in our history. Let's hope we don't see a return of those times, but with some of the noises coming out of Labour I'm not holding out too much hope.

Might need one of those old fashioned wage (and price) freezes

Bjauck
30-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Simple solution. If nurses want to earn as much as teachers then they should become teachers. With an ageing population...demand for carers and nurses will be increasing.

Bjauck
30-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Been 10 years for nurses and what 16 years for teachers since they've had decent increases. I think the majority of folks support them(re 65% in an informal poll i saw recently for teachers), essential workers undervalued for too long, fact. Who will pay for it? Will we be able to stick to the No New Taxes mantra?

How about about introducing to investments in real estate the "Fair Dividend Rate" that currently exists for Foreign Investment Funds.
I.E. unrealised net value gains (after expenses deducted) of more than 5% in a year be deemed to have produced a taxable return of 5%?

Joshuatree
30-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Sounds good. Looking forward to the tax review results. National wanted to drop taxes and avoid paying teachers, nurses etc a well deserved long overdue rise. An uncaring lazy irresponsible national govt in many areas taking the easy path imo.

RGR367
30-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Sounds good. Looking forward to the tax review results. National wanted to drop taxes and avoid paying teachers, nurses etc a well deserved long overdue rise. An uncaring lazy irresponsible national govt in many areas taking the easy path imo.

C'mon Jt. When will you stop blaming the last gov't and urging this new gov't to get on with their job. Me too is getting tired about this blaming orgy already. Enough of it.

Joshuatree
30-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately its true RGR. Labour is doing the right thing, national was only thinking of staying in power.

westerly
30-05-2018, 03:43 PM

From 1960 to 1984 NZ had a National Govt. apart from the 3 years 1972 -75. Perhaps National is the party you should fear.?

westerly

BlackPeter
30-05-2018, 04:23 PM

Nothing worse than a government not able to make decisions and say NO. Yes to big pay rises for everybody - can't find anybody who does not deserve it. Yes to create commissions to decide about a commission to decide about something else Labour should have sorted out in its nine long years in opposition. Yes to expected but unplanned tax rises and new taxes. Yes to hyperinflation and increased bureaucracy.

It is clearly Labour and its appendixes going the easy way - and National will later on need to clean up after them.

fungus pudding
30-05-2018, 04:36 PM
From 1960 to 1984 NZ had a National Govt. apart from the 3 years 1972 -75. Perhaps National is the party you should fear.?

westerly

Back then it was the unions I feared.

westerly
30-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Back then it was the unions I feared.

I cannot recall nurses or teachers ever threatening or going on strike back in those days. The seamans, freezing workers, and watersiders unions frequently.
Nationals crusade to cut expenditure is more likly to be the cause of the present unrest.

westerly

Bjauck
30-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Back then it was the unions I feared. Wasn't the 1970's and early 80's the time when you had (in a NZ context) extremists in the unions and an extremist in power (Muldoon - aka NZ's King Cnut trying to hold back the tide.) Social tensions started to boil over with Bastion Point and the Springbok Tour. At least the Nats and Labour (without the Greens) are more or less centrists now.

Joshuatree
31-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Finding Government's slush fund (https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/104332101/knowing-what-a-great-nurses-pay-offer-looks-like)

"Not least of these is the legislation amending employment law, currently before Parliament.
Either way, a substantial boost to public sector incomes is now clearly signalled, with flow-on into private sector wages almost inevitable in the next couple of years.
With the Treasury already forecasting a continuation of above-inflation wage growth over the next three years anyway, and the fiscal stimulus of the July 1 Families Package yet to be felt by lower income households, the stage is now set for robust domestic consumption in the medium term.
That should keep the economy ticking along, which is important because the forecast increases in the tax take are fundamental to affording a public sector wage break-out, while keeping to the Government's self-imposed Budget responsibility rules."

iceman
31-05-2018, 07:17 PM
That´s great news JT. As simple as increasing everyone´s wages, boosting the economy to increase tax takes and everyone is happy. Hand me another Tui please.

fungus pudding
31-05-2018, 08:18 PM
That´s great news JT. As simple as increasing everyone´s wages, boosting the economy to increase tax takes and everyone is happy. Hand me another Tui please.

Exactly. They should legislate to double all wages instantly. Not just cops, nurses, teachers, but everybody. Better still - triple them.

blackcap
31-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Exactly. They should legislate to double all wages instantly. Not just cops, nurses, teachers, but everybody. Better still - triple them.

Then we need to double benefits as well. and the pension. Should solve all societal problems as everyone has enough money to survive. Thanks Cindy.

Joshuatree
31-05-2018, 09:11 PM
You're are finally getting it guys, a pallet of tuis coming your way, well done, .....finally!:mad ;:

winner69
03-06-2018, 01:05 PM
At local cafe waiting for my mate to turn up couldn’t help but listen into a passionate conversation at the next table

Obviously keen Labour guys who were lamenting that even with Jacinda’s pronouncement that neo-liberalism was dead Labour don’t seem to be making much effort to lose their ‘neo-liberal soul’ as they put it.

They seemed to be disappointed that getting into power has changed their intentions / priorities and staying in government is now the main objective.

Luckily I was saved from the rest of this conversation by my mate.

03-06-2018, 04:03 PM
At local cafe waiting for my mate to turn up couldn’t help but listen into a passionate conversation at the next table

Obviously keen Labour guys who were lamenting that even with Jacinda’s pronouncement that neo-liberalism was dead Labour don’t seem to be making much effort to lose their ‘neo-liberal soul’ as they put it.

They seemed to be disappointed that getting into power has changed their intentions / priorities and staying in government is now the main objective.

Luckily I was saved from the rest of this conversation by my mate.

Perhaps it was JT and westerly.

westerly
03-06-2018, 06:36 PM

LOL.
My wife says I will always argue the opposite to whatever someone is saying. Therefore given the preponderance of right side ( usually wrong though) supporters on Sharetrader it is only natural I would take the opposing arguement especially when there is a misrepresentation of facts.
Things aren't always what they seem. :)

westerly

iceman
03-06-2018, 09:22 PM

A cracker :-) And trust winner to be there with his bowling mates listening in

winner69
04-06-2018, 06:55 AM
A cracker :-) And trust winner to be there with his bowling mates listening in

Iceman ...for the recent record I don’t play bowls ...it’s the neighbour who playa bowls

They happy with their A2 investment

winner69
04-06-2018, 06:56 AM
Sir William ......yuk

But as things go probably deserves it and if you believe in such things

fungus pudding
04-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Sir William ......yuk

Shouldn't he be Sir Simon English?

BlackPeter
04-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Sir William ......yuk

Pity it is an automatism to knight past PM's, whether they deserve it or not. Makes it like a promise from the Donald - absolutely meaningless.

The other thing is that history seems to show that politicians and other celebrities (whether they deserved the title or not) have been at the time of being knighted or damed well past their "best before date". I didn't put Bill into this category yet, but now he accepted the title I am not so sure anymore ...

Better be careful - he might end up on a board next to us ;);

Just to clarify - I think he made a fine finance minister for a long time. If that's what the Sir stands for, than so be it.

05-06-2018, 07:35 AM
This government is the bad as the last Labour one. As Bridges puts it, "governs by decree"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104447116/no-cabinet-paper-created-in-path-to-decision-to-ban-offshore-oil-exploration

iceman
05-06-2018, 08:16 AM
This government is the bad as the last Labour one. As Bridges puts it, "governs by decree"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104447116/no-cabinet-paper-created-in-path-to-decision-to-ban-offshore-oil-exploration

Shocking lack of process.
And then we have this "Labour has increased its operating allowance by $24 billion more than National planned, the money coming from an extra $9 billion in debt, higher tax revenue than expected and scrapping National's tax cuts."
Looks like all the criticism of Steven Joyce's fiscal hole was right. His numbers were far too low. The $24 BILLION is despite forecast current spending on health and education being $ 3.3 BILLION less each sector.
CUllen better hurry up with his tax increases recommendation. This motley lot will need it very soon.

winner69
05-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Pity it is an automatism to knight past PM's, whether they deserve it or not. Makes it like a promise from the Donald - absolutely meaningless.

The other thing is that history seems to show that politicians and other celebrities (whether they deserved the title or not) have been at the time of being knighted or damed well past their "best before date". I didn't put Bill into this category yet, but now he accepted the title I am not so sure anymore ...

Better be careful - he might end up on a board next to us ;);

Just to clarify - I think he made a fine finance minister for a long time. If that's what the Sir stands for, than so be it.

Sir John Rowles ...he deserved it eh

BlackPeter
05-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Sir John Rowles ...he deserved it eh

If being a good singer makes you a knight, than yes - he probably did.

What are the selection criteria for being knighted anyway?

fungus pudding
05-06-2018, 09:26 AM
If being a good singer makes you a knight, than yes - he probably did.

What are the selection criteria for being knighted anyway?

Did you see the lady on Seven sharp who received a title for services to bonsai trees? That should answer your question. Not to mention the award for services to hookers.

Bjauck
05-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Pity it is an automatism to knight past PM's, whether they deserve it or not. Makes it like a promise from the Donald - absolutely meaningless..... A knighthood for just doing their job properly. It may get them a good table at a pretentious restaurant? It seems to be only certain Republican PMs (eg Bolger, Clark) who dodged the sword.

winner69
07-06-2018, 06:13 PM
I hope Taranaki gets a brand new stadium out of the Regional Development Fund

Footie stadiums vital to regional development

C’mon Shane ,,,sort it out quick

elZorro
07-06-2018, 06:33 PM
I hope Taranaki gets a brand new stadium out of the Regional Development Fund

Footie stadiums vital to regional development

C’mon Shane ,,,sort it out quick

It sounds sensible, maybe the Northland funding is getting away on him. He has been targeted a bit, from what I've seen.

Here's Simon Bridges making a mess of an interview with Guyon Espiner on RadioNZ a couple of days ago, about the state houses laid to waste during National's tenure.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018647858

Now, Simon says we had a housing crisis.

Joshuatree
07-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Listened to that lol. He got a full house at a meet the locals in Warkworth nearly all 65 years plus. Go Winston ohh i mean Simon. He had to tell them that he didn't have any asian in him too ehh, weird:confused:

07-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Just to keep you informed

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104524940/labour-hosts-business-and-lobbyists-at-600ahead-dinners-in-exclusive-private-clubs

blackcap
07-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Just to keep you informed

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104524940/labour-hosts-business-and-lobbyists-at-600ahead-dinners-in-exclusive-private-clubs

Surely not. Can vaguely remember ElZorro bleating on about National doing this kind of thing....

winner69
08-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Nobody takes much notice of Hooto but interesting

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12066447

The reason for the urgency is suggested by its context. After Labour's mishandling of the sexual assault allegations at its summer camp, Winston Peters' inexplicable stance on the Russian chemical weapons attack in the UK, Phil Twyford's comical Pt Chevalier KiwiBuild announcement, and the scandal involving Clare Curran and RNZ, Ardern was desperate for something — anything — to reassure her core supporters.

elZorro
08-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Surely not. Can vaguely remember ElZorro bleating on about National doing this kind of thing....

The National Party had/has an even better system. They simply invoice a few well-heeled business-people from each electorate each month on an ongoing basis on behalf of the local MP, and this might be a few hundred or few thousand dollars a month, but for that donation, the business leaders get to have a lunch or dinner with ministers or senior party members, regularly. It's all about these businesses getting to lobby ministers about their pet ideas, to have a line through to the beehive. Or, they'll have a golf tournament with a very high entry fee, it's much the same.

Maybe Labour is getting a bit tired of the constant raising of funds from begging emails to all and sundry on their mailing list. Stuart Nash has been pretty good at raising funds for his campaigning, but much of it comes from a few well-off friends I think. He's one of the few exceptions.

Regardless, since the Labour/NZFirst/Green coalition is in power now, some of these corporate donations might be dropping off for National. Business owners will be looking for a similar setup from Labour, maybe that's why these $600 lunches have worked out OK. Believe me, it's small time compared to what National had been doing.

iceman
09-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Sorry I'm a bit slow EZ and don't understand your obfuscated response to blackcap. In your view, is fundraising like this OK or not ?

elZorro
09-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Sorry I'm a bit slow EZ and don't understand your obfuscated response to blackcap. In your view, is fundraising like this OK or not ?

Let's just say I didn't know until more recently about National's system of fundraising from affluent business owners and the like. It doesn't feel OK that these people could have a much more direct line to lobby MPs and ministers, than most of us do. MPs all know that campaign money usually results in equivalent votes for those parties that have a long-term branding and marketing effort. That's the big four, they always get about 85%-90% of the party vote between them. Some National MPs in the big rural electorates run three offices. Most of the money comes from parliamentary services, but those offices are only there for the populace, not for party use. Their campaigns still have to be funded too.

artemis
09-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Let's just say I didn't know until more recently about National's system of fundraising from affluent business owners and the like. It doesn't feel OK that these people could have a much more direct line to lobby MPs and ministers, than most of us do. .....

There's two things there. One is access to MPs and Ministers, The other is money donated to a party.

Access is relatively straightforward. Yesterday I spent the best part of an hour with my local MP on a complex policy topic. Also yesterday a mate spent time with a Minister, again on a policy topic.

In each case it was a matter of requesting an appointment. We are both ordinary people, not lobbyists or rich and famous.

Our representatives seem to be very accessible, even meeting in cafes sometimes.

Fundraising is a different beast. Some donors support multiple parties. Some support the one they agree with. Some donors seem to manage a nudge nudge wink wink with supporters of their industry. Can't possibly imagine which Deputy PM might be involved in anything like that.

blackcap
09-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Fundraising is a different beast. Some donors support multiple parties. Some support the one they agree with. Some donors seem to manage a nudge nudge wink wink with supporters of their industry. Can't possibly imagine which Deputy PM might be involved in anything like that.

Your not suggesting Winston and the Talley's are good mates are you? :)

winner69
09-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Commendable effort by Labour in Northcote

Some reckon Bridges didn’t help Nats cause...result doesn’t really matter but no doubt analysed to death to prove what you want ...like Kirton already touting a moral victory

elZorro
10-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Commendable effort by Labour in Northcote

Some reckon Bridges didn’t help Nats cause...result doesn’t really matter but no doubt analysed to death to prove what you want ...like Kirton already touting a moral victory

The trend is good, now that he's established his name there and made the previously strong National seat marginal, Shanan should be able to take Northcote in the 2020 elections.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/north-shore-times/104588858/pm-jacinda-ardern-proud-of-defeated-shanan-halbert-in-northcote-by-election

Joshuatree
10-06-2018, 11:11 AM
A little dissapointed. National got about the same % of votes as last time 51%. Voter turnout was way down 21000 v 37,000 at election. Labour candidate has integrity and values and is a local, the other guy to me is a salesman.

BlackPeter
10-06-2018, 11:48 AM
A little dissapointed. National got about the same % of votes as last time 51%. Voter turnout was way down 21000 v 37,000 at election. Labour candidate has integrity and values and is a local, the other guy to me is a salesman.

What a surprise - JT is trashing the winning candidate. Let me guess - it must have been the National candidate who won?

So - "just a salesman". Not sure what's wrong with that anyway, but for JT are probably just blue collar workers and farmers honest people, and we are not so sure about the farmers either -aren't we, JT?

BTW - The name of the other guy who did win the election is Dan Bidois. Admittedly - he is young (but so is Taxinda) and he has got already quite a career:

Manager, Strategy and New Ventures - Foodstuffs North Island Limited
Strategist/Fellow - Malaysia Blue Ocean Strategy Institute
Economist/Policy Analyst - OECD
Research Analyst - The New Zealand Institute

Ah yes, and he started his career as president for the Auckland University Students' Association. Must have quite a spine and outstanding leadership skills prepared to put his foot down against the red flood and the unions. No wonder JT does not like him.

BTW - I can't find "salesman" on his CV :p;

JT - you are so predictable, but confirming an unknown Labour candidate integrity (and implying with that the National candidate "just a salesman" has none or less?) is just one of your too frequent dirty smears. Are you not ashamed of yourself?

BlackPeter
10-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Oh dear, JT - you must be kidding. Confirming this particular Labour candidate integrity and values must be the own goal of the year :p;

Wasn't this the guy who claimed on his CV that he holds an MBA and later had to admit that he just started to study part time towards an MBA (and later broke up his studies?

https://yournz.org/2018/04/21/future-qualification-on-northcote-by-election-candidates-profile/

What values? What integrity? But I am sure - one of Labours best people :p;

artemis
10-06-2018, 12:25 PM
The trend is good, now that he's established his name there and made the previously strong National seat marginal, Shanan should be able to take Northcote in the 2020 elections.

Yes, definitely a possibility Labour could regain Northcote. Not a huge number of votes between National and Labour and the gap should narrow if the coalition is seen to be doing well. A lot will depend on whether Labour's support parties stand against Labour there. eZ, would you see Labour doing an electorate deal or two in 2020?

Makes sense to me if support parties stand aside in exchange for a clear run elsewhere.

winner69
10-06-2018, 12:40 PM
At least JT only called Bidoir a ‘salesman’ - could’ve have been worse and said a car salesman or worse still a seller of financial products.

But isnt that NZ Institute in some people’s eyes an evil organisation.

Joshuatree
10-06-2018, 12:48 PM
I listened and watched interviews with both candidates before forming my opinion , i suggest others do the same before reactive uninformed comments.

blackcap
10-06-2018, 02:37 PM
I listened and watched interviews with both candidates before forming my opinion , i suggest others do the same before reactive uninformed comments.

So did I. The Labour candidate seems to me like a snake oil merchant. The National guy a stand up dude. This is a non-reactive informed comment. There you go JT, FIFY.

Joshuatree
10-06-2018, 05:49 PM
More of a tit for tat unoriginal and disingenuous post is what i see. Try responding rather than low quality reacting.Like a real opinion.

Joshuatree
10-06-2018, 11:55 PM
This ad has been running for weeks on H/C. Either JK is involved or he would have had his profile advertising it shut down by now surely.?

index.html (https://no1-finance.com/nz/john-key-lends-a-hand-to-kiwi-families-v23/index.html?voluumdata=deprecated&eda=deprecated&cep=hXB7PGUfKlfioCrtCnvndjVkxKCrZc1E6gIcuJQOh9gsQs kMizoKpI5Wg85IfRJfzYU5N9NaLdfE4Jpx4Y7fbfG7QBX-g_PT8sn0MiTwNAaUmDS64hV4Iw4lpve-VPt42azslRod98WgIUkBBurfIAqVffR0moZBDBGS6SVi8KvxMf gNcOkyvSeYoskwspR3BAZQnwZos3mU9vxJMIbd39a3kipPGg3J w8Stc9qDAyFfV4CgJPLTGRJD4S0a1iHUMrJ67sjhv78tBlW2BZ PyZDp0RAgXQXVDcN4p5NfJKDadTu8QUer9lNfXhffUa5G8ebZu 6ZBkg5eqM7SJq-iyK3Z8VRwz5R2XFNqLSXn9vvf0daphuSkhT02B7gqo4uf8qvfM pzUmfci97SrI8cg24i8VPWWz46YLvSPjWhZYaJ0lkw7B2Aoabs OACFbzZFkY&ad=nz-jk-1&agid=55218021505&campid=1417843673&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiN-gjoTJ2wIVVV69Ch18QAWEEAEYASAAEgJO8vD_BwE&kwd=&place=577449af2d2026f2.anonymous.google&trgt=)

11-06-2018, 08:30 AM
More of a tit for tat unoriginal and disingenuous post is what i see. Try responding rather than low quality reacting.Like a real opinion.

I think posters are rather restrained reacting to your posts JT. I would think they would be a bit like me and start typing a reply and then trashing it because they are wasting their time. I doubt very much that your first sentence in post 1171 is the truth as you are so biased towards Labour that you wouldn't bother to listen to anything a National candidate would say.

tga_trader
11-06-2018, 08:35 AM
I would think they would be a bit like me and start typing a reply and then trashing it ....

Hahaha yeah I didn't think I would be the only one

westerly
11-06-2018, 09:32 AM
I think posters are rather restrained reacting to your posts JT. I would think they would be a bit like me and start typing a reply and then trashing it because they are wasting their time. I doubt very much that your first sentence in post 1171 is the truth as you are so biased towards Labour that you wouldn't bother to listen to anything a National candidate would say.

Of course, 777, Black Peter, Blackcap, Iceman, and winner69, et al all sit comfortably in the middle of the road. Yeah Right. :)

westerly

Joshuatree
11-06-2018, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=777;717872]I think posters are rather restrained reacting to your posts JT. I would think they would be a bit like me .....quote
Ok... 666, minime77, and microme 7., ever diminishing seatbelts:eek2:. Seatbelts have their place though, in a pileup:). Hope you take your helmet off sometimes and do silly dances to get the blood flowing:).

This interview showed a candidate with a generalist knowledge and a slick selling approach, and big ego, with a candidate with an authentic thorough, informed local knowledge and an honesty you cant fake. The difference stark to me in this sniff test despite my bias. I warmed to one and not to the other, thats my experience of the two personalities

Watch: Northcote by-election - Bidois v Halbert (http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/358958/watch-northcote-by-election-bidois-v-halbert)

blackcap
11-06-2018, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=777;717872]I think posters are rather restrained reacting to your posts JT. I would think they would be a bit like me .....quote
Ok... 666, minime77, and microme 7., ever diminishing seatbelts:eek2:. Seatbelts have their place though, in a pileup:). Hope you take your helmet off sometimes and do silly dances to get the blood flowing:).

This interview showed a candidate with a generalist knowledge and a slick selling approach, and big ego, with a candidate with an authentic thorough, informed local knowledge and an honesty you cant fake. The difference stark to me in this sniff test despite my bias. I warmed to one and not to the other, thats my experience of the two personalities

Watch: Northcote by-election - Bidois v Halbert (http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/358958/watch-northcote-by-election-bidois-v-halbert)

What is your point JT? I warmed to one and not the other too. Except it was diametrically opposed to yours. We have different views. That's fine. Live with it.

BlackPeter
11-06-2018, 10:33 AM

JT, don't worry - everybody makes mistakes - even you :p; though calling Halbert "honest" appears to be somewhat Trumpesk :P:

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2018/04/what_happened_to_shanans_mba.html

Just wondering - is it common practice in your nick of the woods to make up degrees if you don't manage to earn them?

I think the sooner you allow this candidate to get out of everybody's mind, the better it would be for Labor and for you. I guess - just imagine, people might start questioning your judgement :D;

So - lets keep talking about this honest candidate of high integrity (your words, not mine) ...

iceman
11-06-2018, 08:43 PM
So the soon to be acting PM is taking large Government departments and their heads to court. They can apply to the Cabinet he will be chairing, to have their fees paid, even though surely that should be automatic in this case.
Should this silly man not stand down as acting PM while he continues this witch hunt, all because he was found out to be taking Government money he was not entitled to and he knew he was ?
Surely this is a new low, even for Winston Peters. Interestingly he has not renewed his misdirected attacks against National Party people except Paula Bennett as a minister for the department he holds the grudge against. This grumpy old man is totally unfit to hold the office of PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12068606

Joshuatree
11-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Lets keep questioning each others judgement for sure , we will seldom agree in this political arena . Hey if you have very 2nd day off , i will too:t_up:

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.

Oscar Am ringer, “the Mark Twain of American Socialism.”
I offered my opponents a deal: “if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them”.
Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952

Any more fave political jokes.?

elZorro
12-06-2018, 08:07 PM
Great to hear that Nicky Hager has a full apology from the police over the 2014 raid on his home. And probably a not insubstantial payment as well.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104638742/police-apologise-to-nicky-hager-over-dirty-politics-raid-as-part-of-settlement

The police searched Nicky's home for 10 hours while he wasn't there, after the first hour he claimed journalistic priviledge. But the police didn't find hidden documents, some of the Snowden Papers he was working on. Nicky has protected his Rawshark source and produced a great book in Dirty Politics. Of course the Nats haven't given up on these techniques, trying to smear the PM's partner, until the police were obliged to step in and debunk the situation more recently.

Every day now, we're seeing positive progress towards a more positive political arena. Gerry Brownlee's been caught playing solitaire in question time, he says that's Ok, Simon says it's Ok. Yeah right. If Gerry doesn't find being in opposition interesting enough, he should resign.

winner69
12-06-2018, 08:32 PM
I agree EZ - a good outcome

Joshuatree
12-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Great to hear that Nicky Hager has a full apology from the police over the 2014 raid on his home. And probably a not insubstantial payment as well.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104638742/police-apologise-to-nicky-hager-over-dirty-politics-raid-as-part-of-settlement

The police searched Nicky's home for 10 hours while he wasn't there, after the first hour he claimed journalistic priviledge. But the police didn't find hidden documents, some of the Snowden Papers he was working on. Nicky has protected his Rawshark source and produced a great book in Dirty Politics. Of course the Nats haven't given up on these techniques, trying to smear the PM's partner, until the police were obliged to step in and debunk the situation more recently.

Every day now, we're seeing positive progress towards a more positive political arena. Gerry Brownlee's been caught playing solitaire in question time, he says that's Ok, Simon says it's Ok. Yeah right. If Gerry doesn't find being in opposition interesting enough, he should resign.

Yes quite amazing isn't it how far they went to try and stop the truth then and in the future.Who would then take the risk of blowing a whistle on an injustice or deceit?. Im getting a copy of that book now. Sad to see national carrying on this way. Dig them out Nicky , expose them for all to see.

peat
13-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Surely this is a new low, even for Winston Peters.
its not a new low, its a no
Mr Peters is nearly everything I detest about politics.
But he's not really PM even though technically he is. He couldn't make some outlandish ruling without being over-ruled , Jacinda is pregnant not comatose.

iceman
13-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Minister Eugenie Sage of the Green Party (name is a misnomer) has just given consent to a Chinese company to buy land classed sensitive, close to Whakatane, to bottle water for exports. All in the name of increase in investment and jobs. Great stuff and totally aligned with the bravado before the election isn't it ?? No shame on the daily backflips from this Government

fungus pudding
13-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Minister Eugenie Sage of the Green Party (name is a misnomer)

Sage or Green?

iceman
13-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage or Green?

In this case it applies to both.
How long will this Government last ??? https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104668519/green-party-members-revolt-over-water-bottling-decision

winner69
13-06-2018, 02:55 PM
Minister Eugenie Sage of the Green Party (name is a misnomer) has just given consent to a Chinese company to buy land classed sensitive, close to Whakatane, to bottle water for exports. All in the name of increase in investment and jobs. Great stuff and totally aligned with the bravado before the election isn't it ?? No shame on the daily backflips from this Government

The silence from all parties about how much influence the likes of MP Jian Yang and others have is deafening

Obviously they have great influence but nobody nobody in the Beehive seems concerned ...hmmm

elZorro
13-06-2018, 06:57 PM
In this case it applies to both.
How long will this Government last ??? https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104668519/green-party-members-revolt-over-water-bottling-decision

This decision is on the face of it, contrary to Green policy. They have to obey the laws of the land in these decisions, and 60 new jobs are going to make a difference in Whakatane.

I did some quick maths, and 1.1 billion litres a year is 0.002% of the water in Lake Taupo at any one time. (There's 59km3 of water in Lake Taupo). Suffice to say, this is still a lot of bottled water heading over to China in plastic bottles by sea freight (About 100 mtr cubed per year). Has to be one of our lowest value exports by weight. It makes you think - humankind devouring resources like this, importing reasonably clean water because they're short of it somewhere else. Are we a plague on the planet?

iceman
13-06-2018, 08:51 PM
This decision is on the face of it, contrary to Green policy. They have to obey the laws of the land in these decisions, and 60 new jobs are going to make a difference in Whakatane.

I did some quick maths, and 1.1 billion litres a year is 0.002% of the water in Lake Taupo at any one time. (There's 59km3 of water in Lake Taupo). Suffice to say, this is still a lot of bottled water heading over to China in plastic bottles by sea freight (About 100 mtr cubed per year). Has to be one of our lowest value exports by weight. It makes you think - humankind devouring resources like this, importing reasonably clean water because they're short of it somewhere else. Are we a plague on the planet?

EZ, your post is exactly the reasoning National gave last term and the Greens fought against as an election policy. I don´t have a problem with this being granted but I do have a problem with the total hypocracy.

And then we get this from the guy that was involved at Board level to take Sealords into Argentina where they lost somewhere between $30-40 million. What a fool https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12070053

Joshuatree
13-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Good on you jonesy you are so right.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12060004 (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12060004)

fungus pudding
14-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Good on you jonesy you are so right.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12060004 (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12060004)

Assuming you mean Shane Jones, the pompous boof from Winston First, Fonterra has nothing to do with him.

Sgt Pepper
14-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Assuming you mean Shane Jones, the pompous boof from Winston First, Fonterra has nothing to do with him.

At least he doesnt play solitaire during question time

fungus pudding
14-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Well, he should.

iceman
14-06-2018, 08:09 PM

Probably because he doesn´t know the rules.
Watch Question Time on TV and count how many MPs and Ministers are absent minded gazing at their phones. Not just one playing solitaire.

minimoke
15-06-2018, 07:14 AM
David Clark up to dodgy bribes to gag Counties Manukau health Board chair. Fancy offering up jobs to silence unhelpful media, This is NZ David, Not Russia!

minimoke
15-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Good to see government setting off the wage inflation spiral by ensuring all government workers get at least the Living Wage.

winner69
15-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Good to see government setting off the wage inflation spiral by ensuring all government workers get at least the Living Wage.

Man from ASB ..."The government pays better than anyone else, anyway. In many ways what they are trying to do is suggest other people should have the sort of money the government has to spend."

EZ will say this is good news

winner69
15-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Taxpayers Union have a view on this living wage ‘initiative’

It is morally questionable to require taxpayers, many of whom don’t earn the living wage, to pay above market wages for government workers.

minimoke
15-06-2018, 03:10 PM

It is morally questionable to require taxpayers, many of whom don’t earn the living wage, to pay above market wages for government workers.I'd call it morally reprehensible

Joshuatree
15-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Regardless of any motive, its great to see Blue go Green ; sort of.;)

Nats support climate drive (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104743900/simon-bridges-offers-government-bipartisan-support-on-climate-change)

elZorro
15-06-2018, 07:08 PM

It is morally questionable to require taxpayers, many of whom don’t earn the living wage, to pay above market wages for government workers.

Who are these Taxpayers Union people? Sounds like a few ACT members.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/2000-lowest-paid-public-servants-get-pay-boost

westerly
15-06-2018, 07:36 PM

As a politician he has every right to question an almost monopoly organisation that is making exorbitant profits from the NZ public.

westerly

15-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Politician. That's going a bit far.

minimoke
15-06-2018, 07:50 PM
As a politician he has every right to question an almost monopoly organisation that is making exorbitant profits from the NZ public.

westerlyExorbitant profit last year was down 11%. EBIT was down 15%. I stand corrected. CEO has to go.

Sgt Pepper
15-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Well, he should.

Never mind FP

On the law for nz political averages ( 3 terms in 3 terms out) you have only to endure a left of centre government until 2026.

fungus pudding
16-06-2018, 04:46 AM
Never mind FP

On the law for nz political averages ( 3 terms in 3 terms out) you have only to endure a left of centre government until 2026.

Doesn't worry me who the govt. is. It's just a matter of modifying your modus operandi to reap the benefits. After all, it is Labour, specifically Bill Rowling, who opened my eyes to the world, and allowed me to acquire a reasonably comfortable life style from a very young age. Nowadays I'm past caring, but socialism as preached by current Labour will not take the country in the right direction. That provides me ample opportunity to taunt their advocates for my own amusement.

Sgt Pepper
16-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Doesn't worry me who the govt. is. It's just a matter of modifying your modus operandi to reap the benefits. After all, it is Labour, specifically Bill Rowling, who opened my eyes to the world, and allowed me to acquire a reasonably comfortable life style from a very young age. Nowadays I'm past caring, but socialism as preached by current Labour will not take the country in the right direction. That provides me ample opportunity to taunt their advocates for my own amusement.

What specifically is " the right direction" ?

fungus pudding
16-06-2018, 12:08 PM

The opposite of the wrong direction.

elZorro
17-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Anything that helps long-term rentiers? They are just not getting a good enough deal already;)

westerly
18-06-2018, 09:44 AM

Any way that gives a benefit to FP :)

westerly

fungus pudding
18-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Any way that gives a benefit to FP :)

westerly

It's anything that doesn't knock the steam out of the economy. That doesn't weaken incentives or create disincentives while providing a safety net for those who need it. And first and foremost - to protect our citizens. Hence I would like to see Labour bring in strict dog laws; outright banning some breeds. Something National deemed too difficult. Yet every few months there is another victim of dog attack. Very often a young child. And occasionally a death. That's a simple example of something only the govt. can implement to protect us.
In addition it's a party that does not give ministerial powers to the likes of Twyford, Hipkins, Davis and one or two others.

Joshuatree
18-06-2018, 11:51 AM
One thing we can agree on about some dog breeds.Some humans could be banned from owning dogs too as they bring out the worst in said dogs.

winner69
18-06-2018, 12:04 PM
One thing we can agree on about some dog breeds.Some humans could be banned from owning dogs too as they bring out the worst in said dogs.

...and often beat the wife and kids up as well

Sgt Pepper
18-06-2018, 02:36 PM
It's anything that doesn't knock the steam out of the economy. That doesn't weaken incentives or create disincentives while providing a safety net for those who need it. And first and foremost - to protect our citizens. Hence I would like to see Labour bring in strict dog laws; outright banning some breeds. Something National deemed too difficult. Yet every few months there is another victim of dog attack. Very often a young child. And occasionally a death. That's a simple example of something only the govt. can implement to protect us.
In addition it's a party that does not give ministerial powers to the likes of Twyford, Hipkins, Davis and one or two others.

Dangerous dog breeds, 100% in agreement with you there Fungus. ( I have owned three dogs over 30 years, Bichon Frise X 2 and now a Shi Tzu, nice , social non agressive.) The other issue is that these dam agressive breeds are also a danger to other dogs, which is why I am reluctant to walk our dog along St Clair/St Kida beach.
Why dont governments act??
1) 3 year election cycles
2) cost of enforcement
3) officialdom, behind the scenes cautioning a Minister against it
4) " make concerned noises, and secretly wanting the "it will blow over and the public will move on"

There are many issues like this unfortunately

Baa_Baa
18-06-2018, 08:13 PM
The dog thing is complicated, our precious powder puff wouldn't hurt a fly, but neither would the Staffy Bull Terrier of our good friends (despite how mean and dangerous she looks). They both play together like children at kindergarten. Quite the opposite of what common knowledge suggests a 'killer dog' should behave. I reckon it's all about the dogs' owners, and how or whether the dog is trained, which sadly there are many who have those inherently dangerous breeds with no concern for their behaviour.

It's not something that is easy to legislate. Legislation (law) is about informing the majority who wish to conform and punishing the minority who don't. The problem is finding the balance, which is why dangerous dog legislation struggles to get a hearing and hasn't passed into law thus far.

iceman
18-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Which brings us to the question of, if you need to be licenced to own a dog, shold the same not apply to children ?

JBmurc
18-06-2018, 11:46 PM
Certainly, how the dog is brought up .. we have a Ridgeback which I've seen classed as a Dangerous Dog and she is the biggest wuss around..only here size and puppy like energy around kids has to be pulled up at times (running in the house etc) but it was trained into her not breed(thanks to local trainer that showed us the ropes) .. she has her place at the bottom of the family pack drilled into her at a early age.. always had to walk into a house last -feed last -not allowed in certain areas ...inside house only on her own bed and floor etc no jumping on beds or chairs or people etc...

I agree many people shouldn't have dogs or children for that matter softness has a lot to answer for..

Once one of my wife's friends had to get my help walking home from our house as there was a nasty Labrador stopping her being able to walk down a surberbing street just over the road showed all the signs to want to attack .. hard to believe a so called NZ favourite family dog being as issues but this one needed retrained or bullet (along with the owners)

Xerof
21-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Hmmm, I wonder why this article has been pulled from the Herald site

Hooton: Why David Parker should stand down (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12075290)

I read it before it was pulled, and quite frankly I was disgusted. Trying to make a single exception to the foreign ownership law changes by allowing an elitist development in Northland to go ahead. A US billionaire, and Darby involved. There are connections going back as far as Patterson.

Dunedin mafia eh, who'd have guessed?

Apparently Mallard refused to let it through - good on him, but Parker needs to front up on this.

I listened to RNZ attack dogs having a crack at Parker this morning. Keep it up.

elZorro
21-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Just in case anyone missed the great news:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/104464515/live-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern-and-partner-clarke-gayford-welcome-baby-girl

Joshuatree
21-06-2018, 11:39 PM
All over the global TV channels , great st:t_up:uff

fungus pudding
21-06-2018, 11:43 PM
Just in case anyone missed the great news:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/104464515/live-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern-and-partner-clarke-gayford-welcome-baby-girl

I like the title I heard from a radio caller, 'Prime Miniature'.

elZorro
22-06-2018, 07:57 AM
I like the title I heard from a radio caller, 'Prime Miniature'.

That's a good one. I'm predicting a big boost in the poll ratings for Labour too :)

Joshuatree
22-06-2018, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, I wonder why this article has been pulled from the Herald site

I read it before it was pulled, and quite frankly I was disgusted. Trying to make a single exception to the foreign ownership law changes by allowing an elitist development in Northland to go ahead. A US billionaire, and Darby involved. There are connections going back as far as Patterson.

Dunedin mafia eh, who'd have guessed?

Apparently Mallard refused to let it through - good on him, but Parker needs to front up on this.

I listened to RNZ attack dogs having a crack at Parker this morning. Keep it up.

Misguided at worst compassionate and empathetic ,good to see.

"We had some sympathy for their position because it's an iwi development that's taken many many years and it's been subject to a lot of delays but we tried and it's been ruled out of order so we're not going to take it any further."
The development is made up of about 100 sites, with sections valued at more than $4 million each.
Parker maintains the concession was made by the select committee and his office as the Government sympathised with the iwi (Te Uri o Hau hapu and Ngati Manuhiri) involved in the development.
They made a submission to the select committee about the delays they've suffered and those were the reasons," he said."

minimoke
22-06-2018, 10:30 AM
That's a good one. I'm predicting a big boost in the poll ratings for Labour too :)
I would hope not. All she has done is do what dozens of women do every day in New Zealand.

elZorro
22-06-2018, 08:57 PM
I would hope not. All she has done is do what dozens of women do every day in New Zealand.

Simon's a bit worried about it though, as he said during this Radio Hauraki interview that he mangled good and proper.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104925663/simon-bridges-says-pms-baby-wont-do-much-for-my-poll-ratings

iceman
22-06-2018, 09:58 PM
Finally the Coalition seems to be achieiving one of its pre election promises, to reduce net immigration. It has been achieved by Kiwis voting with their feet and leaving the country, like they did last time Labour was in charge https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12075818

elZorro
22-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Finally the Coalition seems to be achieiving one of its pre election promises, to reduce net immigration. It has been achieved by Kiwis voting with their feet and leaving the country, like they did last time Labour was in charge https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12075818

But it's only a small drop, we still have a net 66,000 more people immigrating here in the year to May 2018, and of course it included 5 months of a National govt. Fake news Iceman?

iceman
23-06-2018, 08:08 AM
Yes only a small drop so far, but your motley lot hasn't been in charge very long so quite an achievement to turn things around so quickly, fake news or not !

Joshuatree
23-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Thank dog we are not relying on artificial stimulants like immigration to keep our country going. Every day i am thankful for this change of direction.I see the results of jaffas (aucklanders :) but not just) pouring into Tauranga, this place is clogged up now and there is no fix ,thats the new norm!!:scared:. Its not only the traffic jams.Try going to a boat ramp in the middle of winter on a saturday on dawn for ex , its clogged up, just one of a multitude of unexpected examples/effects! Sell yourself if you want to, its those that follow that have to live with your short term, low hanging money makers, imported slave labour(fact) etc etc. The consequences of incentivising people to pour in here are ruinous, for this green and pleasant land, yeah right , thats fast becoming the past, tui.

elZorro
24-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Thank dog we are not relying on artificial stimulants like immigration to keep our country going. Every day i am thankful for this change of direction.I see the results of jaffas (aucklanders :) but not just) pouring into Tauranga, this place is clogged up now and there is no fix ,thats the new norm!!:scared:. Its not only the traffic jams.Try going to a boat ramp in the middle of winter on a saturday on dawn for ex , its clogged up, just one of a multitude of unexpected examples/effects! Sell yourself if you want to, its those that follow that have to live with your short term, low hanging money makers, imported slave labour(fact) etc etc. The consequences of incentivising people to pour in here are ruinous, for this green and pleasant land, yeah right , thats fast becoming the past, tui.

Labour responding to the housing crisis with this recent announcement.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12071219

Joshuatree
25-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Great stuff. Its going to be catchup for many years solving housing after the easy low hanging fruit pickers of the past. Cometh the hour cometh the responsible entity. All the other living standards and qualities we had? Heres hoping we can get some back.

"Aiken said 300 state houses in the North Shore's Northcote were being replaced by 1200 new residences in a $750 million intensification on HNZC land: 400 new residences will be state homes and 400 KiwiBuild homes and 400 affordable free-market homes. HLC is delivering the free-market and KiwiBuild homes, he said"

minimoke
25-06-2018, 03:52 PM
I'm pleased to see it is quite OK to anglicise a name on the presumption the native language is too hard to say or spell. Should save us a bit on te reo now we can just spell things how we like. And before I get flamed - I'm all for keeping things simple as well.

25-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Northcote state housing area. You wouldn't want to live there. Mixing it all up won't fix anything.

minimoke
25-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Northcote state housing area. You wouldn't want to live there. Mixing it all up won't fix anything.Affordable doesn't equal desirable

artemis
26-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Northcote state housing area. You wouldn't want to live there. Mixing it all up won't fix anything.

That is a huge looming issue. State house applicants need points on several factors to make it onto the social housing register. That is - approved for allocation of social housing, many apply but don't make it onto the register. One of the criteria for getting enough points to get onto the list in the first place is difficulty obtaining private rental housing, including recent release from prison.

That means that approved applicants have more than average issues, and we now know addictions are OK and will be referred for rehab.

If a third of homes in a densely populated development are social housing that is potentially a whole lot of neighbours with issues. How many buyers will be keen on that? Perhaps the private buyers will be in gated communities. Kiwibuild buyers - unlikely.

How many drug users - current, in rehab, relapsed - would it take to put buyers right off buying there? I suggest not many. And let's not forget that almost half of applicants on the social housing list are single adults, no children, and many will have issues, including addictions.

elZorro
26-06-2018, 07:44 AM
At least $1,400mill disappears from the NZ multinational corporate profit base to tax havens every year, from the larger companies like Google that have been looked into.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/104981535/study-suggests-us1-billion-in-profits-shifted-from-nz-to-tax-havens-over-12-months?utm_source=ST&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ShareTrader+AM+Update+for+Tuesday+26+ June+2018

(https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/104981535/study-suggests-us1-billion-in-profits-shifted-from-nz-to-tax-havens-over-12-months?utm_source=ST&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ShareTrader+AM+Update+for+Tuesday+26+ June+2018)Hopefully this government will do something about it by next year.

Joshuatree
26-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Id certainly feel safer if a drug or alcohol addicted lawyer was kept in a gated community ,for example.
As we all know drug and alcohol problems are right through our society and a mega problem. Luckily this govt is increasing funding and resources in this area

Drug Use in NZ The basic facts about what drugs are available and regularly used in New Zealand.... Read More (https://www.drugfoundation.org.nz/policy-and-advocacy/drugs-in-nz/)

Joshuatree
26-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Matt & Jerry interview National Leader Simon Bridges (http://www.hauraki.co.nz/video/hauraki-tv/matt-jerry-interview-national-leader-simon-bridges/)

Lampooned , well done guys:t_up:

blackcap
26-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Id certainly feel safer if a drug or alcohol addicted lawyer was kept in a gated community ,
[/URL]

Id rather have a drug or alcohol addicted lawyer living next to me than a drug or addicted gang banger. The former not going to stand you over and make your life miserable or cause a whole host of other anti-social problems.

26-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Actually it was a very witty interview. The fact that you see it differently says more about you JT. Maybe it is you who was lampooned.

But don't give up, your posts are getting funnier by the day.

Joshuatree
26-06-2018, 12:38 PM
I agree it was hilarious and i see the leader of the opposition is indeed hilarious, and not to be taken seriously. Jeremy Wells is one smart guy;)

minimoke
26-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Police announce First man not under any police investigation. Then Andrew Kirton calls it quits on Friday. First lady has her baby in the weekend and off on official leave for six weeks. Police today announce arrest in Labour Sex Camp coverup. No surprise really - that timing cant be coincidental. Four charges as well

winner69
26-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Police announce First man not under any police investigation. Then Andrew Kirton calls it quits on Friday. First lady has her baby in the weekend and off on official leave for six weeks. Police today announce arrest in Labour Sex Camp coverup. No surprise really - that timing cant be coincidental. Four charges as well

Suppose ‘internal inquiry’ now canned as a police matter

minimoke
26-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Suppose ‘internal inquiry’ now canned as a police matter
I suspect that will be Labours line - but not my expectation. I still want to know when the PM was advised. More detail on why they thought the PM ought not be immediately advised of 4 sexual assaults on a Labour "sponsored " function. Why matters were withheld from NZ Police. Why youth are so indoctrinated that they are more concerned about harm to party than seeing justice done for their comrades. And who provided the alcohol as well as who failed to supervise the underage children. No doubt we'll just get more baby photos

westerly
26-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Yeah, it is definitely up there with all the 911 conspiracy theories.

westerly

26-06-2018, 07:08 PM

westerly

A very brave post. It may come back to bite you.

minimoke
26-06-2018, 07:21 PM

westerly
Lets dissect it for a moment:
- When have teh police ever front footed a civil matter of rumour (defamation) to say an individual is not under police investigation? (I reckon never)
-police take 4 months to commence laying charges against a person known to them from day one of teh investigation where every one (except teh accused potentially) says the offences happen. It didn't take them 4 months less a week before PM stepped into maternity leave or four months plus a week after PM had retuned from hospital.
- Govt owned air NZ just happens to have a "Government relations" job going and out of all teh applicants (including ex national MP's ) he just happened to secure it on teh eve of a police announcement
- First lady has her baby and is kept under guard for three days at hospital after no apparent complications with teh birth and plenty of family and public support and then announces name of baby just before police announcement.

I suppose you still believe out of al teh people who knew the PM had the day before attended a Labour event which resulted in four separate alleged sexual assaults, under age drinking and kids so crook they were still puking the next day and no-one, not one single person thought to mention it straight away to the PM

iceman
26-06-2018, 08:07 PM
Don´t worry minimoke, I´m sure Nicky Hager is already writing a book about these filthy politics. Tui