PDA

View Full Version : Labour / NZ First Government

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

minimoke
30-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Before the courts Mini .....but more could be said about the points you raised

If Clare was still Minister of Open Government she would have insisted more was realeased.The only thing before the courts is the sexual assault accusations. They cant plead Sub Judice on the other issues.

Raz
30-08-2018, 01:47 PM
The only thing before the courts is the sexual assault accusations. They cant plead Sub Judice on the other issues.

The confidence survey results may be of more interest to them today...

minimoke
30-08-2018, 03:02 PM
The confidence survey results may be of more interest to them today...I don't think the results are of any interest to Labor at all. They have their agenda and they want to stick by it come hell or high water. How do they think business can have confidence when there is no tax policy and its being left to a Committee. How can business have confidence when wage rates are arbitrary pushed up with no increase in productivity. Do they really think giving unions unfettered access to an employer (rights of access even Police don't have) is good for business?

As for having having confidence in a transparent government - well thanks to Clare Curran that's dead in the water.

And what about being a caring, inclusive government. Well if you are a crook Kiwi offshore all care ends at the border. (unless you are a refugee in which case you got double the chance of getting here)

Vagabond47
30-08-2018, 03:40 PM
I don't think the results are of any interest to Labor at all. They have their agenda and they want to stick by it come hell or high water. How do they think business can have confidence when there is no tax policy and its being left to a Committee. How can business have confidence when wage rates are arbitrary pushed up with no increase in productivity. Do they really think giving unions unfettered access to an employer (rights of access even Police don't have) is good for business?

You bitch because they are using a committee, you bitch when they don't consult, you'd bitch if one of the MPs decided policy off their own bat, it really doesn't matter what process they follow, you'll bitch because its something a Labour/Greens govt is doing, neither what it does, or how it does it matters to you.

And what about being a caring, inclusive government. Well if you are a crook Kiwi offshore all care ends at the border. (unless you are a refugee in which case you got double the chance of getting here)

So under national you'd have supported wasting hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to bring home every sick teenager from overseas? Or every kid on their OE that fell off a scooter in Bali and needed medical treatment?

minimoke
30-08-2018, 03:52 PM
You bitch because they are using a committee, you bitch when they don't consult, you'd bitch if one of the MPs decided policy off their own bat, it really doesn't matter what process they follow, you'll bitch because its something a Labour/Greens govt is doing, neither what it does, or how it does it matters to you. I'm not bitching. Just stating what is obvious to most.

So under national you'd have supported wasting hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to bring home every sick teenager from overseas? Or every kid on their OE that fell off a scooter in Bali and needed medical treatment?I didn't say that - actually I support Winston on this one. But it is inconsistent with the caring Flaky Fairy Princess picture of NZ
where life is beautiful all the time
with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes

Vagabond47
30-08-2018, 04:01 PM
I'm not bitching.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles...

minimoke
30-08-2018, 04:15 PM
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles...I'm at a loss how statements of fact can be interpreted as "bitching".

minimoke
30-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Two down - how many ministers left in her cabinet? Meka Whaitiri bounced out of her portfolio.

(this is like shooting fish in a barrel - they make it too easy for me!)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/106706949/pm-stands-minister-meka-whaitiri-aside-over-staffing-issue

BlackPeter
30-08-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm at a loss how statements of fact can be interpreted as "bitching".

I guess it is sad that some posters tend to use personal attacks when they are running out of arguments. Possibly a character problem, but maybe just bad parenting during their youth. Who knows?

Anyway - if their musings don't amuse you anymore, just use the "ignore-list". I do - and while it is not perfect, it does help.

minimoke
30-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Lets just pause for a moment and see how the Princess Fairy is faring.

“This will be a government of inclusion. All who live in this country are entitled to respect and dignity; “. Hmm seems like Waitiri was asleep in the chair when that part of the Speech from the Throne was delivered.
“….. all are entitled to care and compassion” Yup Winston sure was missing in action on that one.
“This government will foster a more open and democratic society. It will strengthen transparency around official information.” Curran clearly out of her depth comprehending that wee gem.

And we aren’t even a year into this Government

minimoke
30-08-2018, 05:05 PM
This reported in Stuff so it cant be true. Lordy - please say its not true. "There is speculation that Whaitiri's troubles were part of the reason Curran was not more fully admonished, as Whaitiri is the next senior female MP in line for promotion."

If this is the depth of the talent pool no wonder business confidence is so low

BlackPeter
30-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Two down - how many ministers left in her cabinet? Meka Whaitiri bounced out of her portfolio.

(this is like shooting fish in a barrel - they make it too easy for me!)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/106706949/pm-stands-minister-meka-whaitiri-aside-over-staffing-issue

I am sure the government won't run out of ministers. It is not the numbers but the quality which worries me.

Stuff has been told relations in Whaitiri's office are toxic and she is understood to have been through an entire rotation of staff in the short time she has been in the job.
People who are close to the situation told Stuff on Thursday Whaitiri can be unpleasant and difficult to deal with

Is this how Jacinda recognizes a natural candidate for the minister of Crown / Maori relations?

Either the current coalition has still less quality people to work with than I thought (and my expectations in that regard haven't been high) - or Jacinda is quite inept in picking good people for her government. Whatever it is - its not good for the country.

minimoke
30-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Is this how Jacinda recognizes a natural candidate for the minister of Crown / Maori relations?

Either the current coalition has still less quality people to work with than I thought (and my expectations in that regard haven't been high) - or Jacinda is quite inept in picking good people for her government. Whatever it is - its not good for the country.I'm at a total loss how they identify talent. We've also got the Wally Haumaha Dep Police Commissioner saga as well as rumours Derek Handleys going to get the ICT job.

Vagabond47
30-08-2018, 06:11 PM
I'm at a loss how statements of fact can be interpreted as "bitching".

Not fact, your opinion.

"there is no tax policy." WTF OMG BBQ.. better tell that to the IRD, they seem to have volumes of tax rules and legislation to fall back on.

" How can business have confidence when wage rates are arbitrary pushed up" this has always been how minimum wage has been set for as long as I remember. Govt of the day increases minimum wage as it sees fit. Nothing new, but apparently because its labour there can be no confidence. Yet when National did it almost every year there was no problem? (C) Tui.

westerly
30-08-2018, 06:22 PM
I'm at a total loss how they identify talent. We've also got the Wally Haumaha Dep Police Commissioner saga as well as rumours Derek Handleys going to get the ICT job.

It is just past 6pm and you have already made 10 posts today expressing your dislike of the present Govt. If your chrisian name is not David or Simon perhaps you should find a hobby to occupy your time. It is only politics not life and death. :)

westerly

minimoke
30-08-2018, 06:30 PM
"there is no tax policy." WTF OMG BBQ.. better tell that to the IRD, they seem to have volumes of tax rules and legislation to fall back on..

Precisely - running on existing legislation.Where si Labours Tax Policy? Should be some given they spent 9 years in opposition doing something - something like creating policy?

minimoke
30-08-2018, 06:31 PM
It is just past 6pm and you have already made 10 posts today expressing your dislike of the present Govt. If your chrisian name is not David or Simon perhaps you should find a hobby to occupy your time. It is only politics not life and death. :)

westerlyOhh. Heres another one. If Labour stopped giving me the opportunity I'd wind it back a bit.

Vagabond47
30-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Precisely - running on existing legislation.Where si Labours Tax Policy? Should be some given they spent 9 years in opposition doing something - something like creating policy?

"

Set up a Tax Working Group, to ensure that there is a better and fairer balance between the taxation of income and assets, in particular the capital gain associated with property speculation. The outcomes of this Working Group – if any – will not take effect until the 2021 tax year"

As specified here: https://www.labour.org.nz/tax Dunno how you get they have no policy, its written in plain english right there. So the policy is no major changes till after the next election cycle.. how is that uncertain?

minimoke
30-08-2018, 07:11 PM
"As specified here: https://www.labour.org.nz/tax Dunno how you get they have no policy, its written in plain english right there. So the policy is no major changes till after the next election cycle.. how is that uncertain?You got me - I was being a little flippant. Who could forget how they increased our tax on 1 April

Vagabond47
30-08-2018, 07:25 PM
You got me - I was being a little flippant. Who could forget how they increased our tax on 1 April

Waaah waah waaah. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles.

iceman
30-08-2018, 10:30 PM
The Government has allowed Housing NZ to borrow $ 2.9 Billion directly despite Treasury warnings. This allows them to keep this debt off core Crown figures to help them try to achieve their stated goal of net debt at or below 20% of GDP.
One more proof that Steven Joyce was absolutely correct about Labour's fiscal hole. However much they want to fiddle with the books, they can't hide it.

minimoke
31-08-2018, 08:26 AM
The Government has allowed Housing NZ to borrow $ 2.9 Billion directly despite Treasury warnings. You'de wonder why you would set up dozens of external committees for advice, and then fail to take the advice of your own internal experts.

winner69
31-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Business confidence down to a net 50% saying business conditions will deteriorate (ANZ)

Respondents have 3 choices .....conditions will improve, stay the same or will deteriorate

If say 20% responded stay the same that net 50% figure means 65% responded deteriorate and 15% responded improve (the net 50% being 65% less 15%)

That’s a huge difference between the deteriorates and the improved

A net 50% does not mean half the businesses think things will deteriorate (as often headlined in the media). It’s a net 50%

No wonder the ANZ says it could get ugly

Raz
31-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Business confidence down to a net 50% saying business conditions will deteriorate (ANZ)

Respondents have 3 choices .....conditions will improve, stay the same or will deteriorate

If say 20% responded stay the same that net 50% figure means 65% responded deteriorate and 15% responded improve (the net 50% being 65% less 15%)

That’s a huge difference between the deteriorates and the improved

A net 50% does not mean half the businesses think things will deteriorate (as often headlined in the media). It’s a net 50%

No wonder the ANZ says it could get ugly

Yeah well people in business do not lose confidence easy, they are natural optimists, usually reflects economic reality they face. A good friends construction business is struggling, just mumbles making seven figures an't going to happen this year..must be worse than that thou as happy to offload his 2017 audi to me in a private sale as long as I offered anything around trade in value and cash....hmmm

winner69
03-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Clare must have fallen head over heels with this Derek guy as the next ITO

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/29-08-2018/nz-tech-is-losing-it-over-the-idea-of-derek-handley-as-cto-of-new-zealand/

jonu
03-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Clare must have fallen head over heels with this Derek guy as the next ITO

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/29-08-2018/nz-tech-is-losing-it-over-the-idea-of-derek-handley-as-cto-of-new-zealand/

I was surprised when he got on the board at sky. I've always considered him a shameless self-promoter intellectual lightweight but he sure must be a smooth talker. I'm not surprised that plenty in the tech community have seen through him.

03-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Interesting headline: Business Confidence to Drop Further. ( Grunters doing? Or the 9 year failures of the nasty Nats? )

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1808/S01040/business-confidence-due-to-take-another-hit.htm

Isn't confidence a "looking forward" opinion, not a "looking backwards" one?

Joshuatree
03-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Great to see terms of trade at historically high levels near all time highs.

minimoke
03-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Interesting headline: Business Confidence to Drop Further. ( Grunters doing? Or the 9 year failures of the nasty Nats? )

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1808/S01040/business-confidence-due-to-take-another-hit.htmIRD filing is the least of an employers worry. They have to get their head around the holiday pay balls up first.

jonu
03-09-2018, 03:32 PM

What's your thoughts on D Handley and the Tech job JT?

I'm sure you're aware of his high standing on the Snakk thread. Should he get a job reference from Balance?

winner69
03-09-2018, 04:30 PM

Getting back to last year’s level under the previous government

Joshuatree
03-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Sure, a lot of good things are happening but the politics get in the way ..........

We're all doomed i tell ya doomed:D
It's about tribal loyalty, from Gordon Campbell Gordon Campbell on trying to cheer up the business sector (http://werewolf.co.nz/2018/09/gordon-campbell-on-trying-to-cheer-up-the-business-sector/)Here’s the weird thing. Essentially, the right wing in New Zealand is treating Jacinda Ardern in exactly the same way as the left wing in the United States is treating Donald Trump. Meaning: the people who support the Opposition (Democratic Party supporters in the US, National Party voters here) are refusing to accept that someone whose policies and personality they distrust so much is presiding over an economy that’s actually performing rather well - not for everyone, but by all the usual imperfect indicators. In the US, the Vox news service has pointed to polling evidence (https://player.fm/series/voxs-the-weeds/john-mccain-vs-the-idea-of-john-mccain) that Democrats have been far more spooked by the Trump presidency than Republicans have been elated by it. An extended discussion of how political partisanship affects the perceptions of the economy can be found in this recent Atlantic article. (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/two-economies/561929/)
Much the same phenomenon has taken root in New Zealand, in that the right still appears to be utterly inconsolable about their election loss, while the left seem pleased enough, without being exactly over the moon about their victory. In what look like acts of tribal solidarity, the business sector therefore still professes itself pessimistic, and fearful that the good times are not all that good anyway, and that worse is bound to come of it, just you wait and see.
Currently, this means there’s an almost religious belief in firms large and small in New Zealand that the end is nigh – and that surely Jacinda Ardern or Grant Robertson or the Greens or Shane Jones are going to wreck the economy, come some rainy day. This Eeyore attitude reflects an article of faith among many of our corporate chieftains that centre-left governments just can’t run the economy well, despite all recent (and historical) evidence to the contrary. Basically, it is a blind political judgment that’s being expressed in the stream of recent business confidence surveys, not a reasoned economic one.

winner69
03-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Glad Jacinda going to Nauru ......even of costing a fortune

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12118575

Wish she would stop using words like reset, transition etc .....she’s sounding worse than some of our corporate leaders and nobody believes their speeches/presentations full of buzz words

minimoke
03-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Glad Jacinda going to Nauru ......even of costing a fortune

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12118575

Wish she would stop using words like reset, transition etc .....she’s sounding worse than some of our corporate leaders and nobody believes their speeches/presentations full of buzz words
I'm more cross with her using the Airforce as a personal taxi due to her mothering duties. Other mums cant do that - they have to find work arounds. Like delegate. Winston adequately held the fort - and its only Pacific Island leaders. Or use some A2 baby formula.

Joshuatree
03-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Ummm,she is our Prime minister .Row a boat doesn't quite fit

What if national had won?

article.cfm (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12118587)

The minimum wage would barely keep up with inflation making sure those on the bottom stayed there, with no sense of hope that it may improve.Our Minister of Health would continue to take a hands-off approach to our mental health system and ignore all suggestions it needed attention, while nurses would be still be striking given that National's pay offer to them was less than half what the current Government offered. Or they may not have taken strike action at all because they knew that National just didn't give a damn.

Joshuatree
03-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Wow that simple, an app and some inefficiencies and acknowledgement of difficulties for ilitterate prisoners reduces numbers by 1,000 :ohmy::)

"Davis said the scheme - called the High Impact Innovation Programme - had eased pressure across the prison network. Crowding had eased in prison units, reducing stress among inmates and concern among Corrections officers.
"I just think, why wasn't this stuff done before," he said. "We haven't made changes to any laws. It's getting efficiencies in the system. We want to look at other ways we can make the system work more efficiently."
article.cfm (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12118589)

Baa_Baa
03-09-2018, 08:33 PM
What's your thoughts on D Handley and the Tech job JT?

I'm sure you're aware of his high standing on the Snakk thread. Should he get a job reference from Balance?

Just shows how disconnected the Labour Party are from industry. He is a terrible choice, it will galvanise the ICT industry against the government.

It's impossible to believe that of the 60 previous applicants there were none better than this self annointed imposter.

It will go badly from here if he is appointed.

Joshuatree
03-09-2018, 09:32 PM
I dont know anything about the guy, any info welcome.

minimoke
03-09-2018, 09:47 PM
I dont know anything about the guy, any info welcome.Starting point would be Feverpitch. Then Snakk, a dabble in Kidicorp and then board Member of SkyTV.

Baa Baa - not hard to understand. Labour have no idea how to assess merit or competence. Anyone with these would have confuddled curran by using words of more than two syllables.

Joshuatree
03-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Thats a typical ignorant attention seeking thing to say mm. Key had two or three demoted ministers in his first term , goes with the course. An awful lot of protocols, rules to remember as a minister and first timers stuff up or get demoted if they dont perform/ pick it up. Worst job imaginable for first time ministers ,advisors &minders & secretaries, very stressful for some.

"Labour have no idea how to assess merit or competence. Anyone with these would have confuddled curran by using words of more than two syllables."

blackcap
04-09-2018, 04:04 AM
Thats a typical ignorant attention seeking thing to say mm. Key had two or three demoted ministers in his first term , goes with the course. An awful lot of protocols, rules to remember as a minister and first timers stuff up or get demoted if they dont perform/ pick it up. Worst job imaginable for first time ministers ,advisors &minders & secretaries, very stressful for some.

"Labour have no idea how to assess merit or competence. Anyone with these would have confuddled curran by using words of more than two syllables."

Yeah but Curran really is as thick as pig manure.

minimoke
04-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Thats a typical ignorant attention seeking thing to say mm. Key had two or three demoted ministers in his first term , ."Well, Labour is doing even better. 2 Ministers in a week. Is that a record?

Edit to add - its a very basic human courtesy that you dont physically push someone around. Let alone if you are a boss.

AS for curran she was told how to manage rules, protocols and was even given a picture book on "transparency" after the Hirshfeld incident. Still she didn't learn. Yet she still kept her job after second major offence. I wonder what went on in the flat she shared with Adern

BlackPeter
04-09-2018, 08:08 AM
LOL - anybody heard the news?

Winston Trumps Jacinda.

Now we know who is running the country ....

fungus pudding
04-09-2018, 08:40 AM

That's a rare insightful comment from you JT.

04-09-2018, 08:54 AM
That's a rare insightful comment from you JT.

He was quoting MM. Obviously doesn't know how to use the quote ability of the forum.

fungus pudding
04-09-2018, 09:19 AM
He was quoting MM. Obviously doesn't know how to use the quote ability of the forum.

That does not mean I can't wind him up.

Joshuatree
04-09-2018, 09:45 AM
LOL - anybody heard the news?

Winston Trumps Jacinda.

Now we know who is running the country ....

Hee

https://www.afr.com/cqstatic/guelu0/afr-404-error-rowe3.jpg

minimoke
05-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Well, Labour is doing even better. 2 Ministers in a week. Is that a record?

Edit to add - its a very basic human courtesy that you dont physically push someone around. Let alone if you are a boss.

AS for curran she was told how to manage rules, protocols and was even given a picture book on "transparency" after the Hirshfeld incident. Still she didn't learn. Yet she still kept her job after second major offence. I wonder what went on in the flat she shared with Adern
I thought she was incompetent. But really todays performance in Question time was simply woeful. So bad in fact I'm not even going to post a link in the hope that no non-new Zealander sees it as an example of our Parliament in action. Please Jacinda, tell us you half some talent sitting below Clare because if this is as good as it gets your Government is knackered.

Beagle
05-09-2018, 10:06 PM
I thought she was incompetent. But really todays performance in Question time was simply woeful. So bad in fact I'm not even going to post a link in the hope that no non-new Zealander sees it as an example of our Parliament in action. Please Jacinda, tell us you half some talent sitting below Clare because if this is as good as it gets your Government is knackered.

Taxpayers did not need to fund this $80,000 special plane trip for Jacinda to spend 16 hours on the ground, (possibly only half that working what with all her special needs for breastfeeding precious Neeve and all) at $5,000 per hour, ($10,000 per working hour) to achieve what ?, look like a pathetic wimp by caving in again to Winston ? https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/ardern-caves-to-peters-after-refugee-remarks/ar-BBMTFPy?li=AAaeXZz&ocid=spartandhp

iceman
06-09-2018, 12:20 AM
Taxpayers did not need to fund this $80,000 special plane trip for Jacinda to spend 16 hours on the ground, (possibly only half that working what with all her special needs for breastfeeding precious Neeve and all) at $5,000 per hour, ($10,000 per working hour) to achieve what ?, look like a pathetic wimp by caving in again to Winston ? https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/ardern-caves-to-peters-after-refugee-remarks/ar-BBMTFPy?li=AAaeXZz&ocid=spartandhp

Never thought I would say this but thank goodness Winston is there to hold this naive bunch back. Andrew Little on his crazy idea to go soft on criminals, now refugees and also stopping them from entrenching the Maori seats in law without a referendum. Winston is the real head of this Government, just as he knew when he chose to go with inexperienced Labour.

minimoke
06-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Taxpayers did not need to fund this $80,000 special plane trip for Jacinda to spend 16 hours on the ground, (possibly only half that working what with all her special needs for breastfeeding precious Neeve and all) at $5,000 per hour, ($10,000 per working hour) to achieve what ?, I'm patiently waiting for the press release that outlines all the things she achieved on the trip

blackcap
06-09-2018, 07:26 AM
I'm patiently waiting for the press release that outlines all the things she achieved on the trip

She really is a virtue signalling idiot of the highest order is our Cindy isn't she.

Good to see Peters is running the show though.

winner69
06-09-2018, 08:24 AM

Really was bad

Ministers use other email accounts like gmail to avoid supplying info under the Official Information Act ....and she was Minister of What

Beagle
06-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Never thought I would say this but thank goodness Winston is there to hold this naive bunch back. Andrew Little on his crazy idea to go soft on criminals, now refugees and also stopping them from entrenching the Maori seats in law without a referendum. Winston is the real head of this Government, just as he knew when he chose to go with inexperienced Labour. You make a good point mate.
I'm patiently waiting for the press release that outlines all the things she achieved on the trip Don't hold your breath lol

She really is a virtue signalling idiot of the highest order is our Cindy isn't she.

Good to see Peters is running the show though. Someone in parliament called it as they saw it a while back and got themselves in trouble with the speaker.
A silly little girl.

Really was bad

Ministers use other email accounts like gmail to avoid supplying info under the Official Information Act ....and she was Minister of What

Open Government...surely she's got to go ! Really they've never had a mandate to govern. I am hopeful one day someone will end this excruciating fiasco and call a snap election.

blackcap
06-09-2018, 08:36 AM
You make a good point mate. Don't hold your breath lol

Someone in parliament called it as they saw it a while back and got themselves in trouble with the speaker.
A silly little girl.

Open Government...surely she's got to go ! Really they've never had a mandate to govern, please lets end this excruciating fiasco and call a snap election.

Why would you get in trouble in parliament for stating a fact?

06-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Why would you get in trouble in parliament for stating a fact?

I don't know. Maybe form another working group to look into it.

minimoke
06-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Why would you get in trouble in parliament for stating a fact?Of course you wont. And telling the truth is the absolute simplest thing to do. It takes quite a clever person to remember the lies which eventually turn into a complicated web of mistruths. Curran did well having Mallard as speaker batting for her - he was showing his colours. But to be fair, I guess any decent person would have tried to do something with what was essentially a train wreck unraveling. Kudos to Melissa Lee who stayed calmly on point.

I'm loath to go on record with this - but I too am somewhat glad Winston Peters is keeping this loony lot under some degree of control.

westerly
06-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Just as they didn't need to fund Si. to the tune of $114000 to go tripping around the country to shake the hand of his doubting supporters.
The PM is doing her job. Si. is trying and failing to hang on to his.

westerly

06-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Just as they didn't need to fund Si. to the tune of $114000 to go tripping around the country to shake the hand of his doubting supporters.
The PM is doing her job. Si. is trying and failing to hang on to his.

westerly

The marginal cost was used to justify Jacinda's trip which was not the case of Bridges tour.

iceman
06-09-2018, 09:20 AM

Can't watch Question time from where I am but the Hansard shows her answer to Melissa Lee's question was quite clear : "To the best of my recollection, um, ah, ah, I haven't, um, I haven't used my, um I've answered um OIA, ah, ah, OIA responses and personal, um and parliamentary questions correctly and to the best of my recollection, um, ah, you know, that, that has, that's what I've done."

blackcap
06-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Can't watch Question time from where I am but the Hansard shows her answer to Melissa Lee's question was quite clear : "To the best of my recollection, um, ah, ah, I haven't, um, I haven't used my, um I've answered um OIA, ah, ah, OIA responses and personal, um and parliamentary questions correctly and to the best of my recollection, um, ah, you know, that, that has, that's what I've done."

By the sounds of things she has some "issues". Could it be Curran who leaked the Bridges info?

iceman
06-09-2018, 09:27 AM
By the sounds of things she has some "issues". Could it be Curran who leaked the Bridges info?

She sure fits the description

minimoke
06-09-2018, 09:28 AM
The disturbing thing was the question: "what Government business has she conducted via her Gmail account”" . Mallard needs to be called to account for allowing her answer as she patently didnt answer it - even to the lax standard required at Question TIme

blackcap
06-09-2018, 09:35 AM
She sure fits the description

The thing is it was Mallard who shut down the inquiry and its also Mallard with the previous relationship with Curran etc etc. Just trying to join dots.

minimoke
06-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Time for Jacinda to be Prime Ministerial and turn up to parliament Question Time today. She needs to do her job and be there.

BlackPeter
06-09-2018, 09:50 AM
I'm loath to go on record with this - but I too am somewhat glad Winston Peters is keeping this loony lot under some degree of control.

Hmm yes, but we should never forget that it was Winston creating this monster of a government in the first place.

He picked the weakest and most incompetent coalition partners he could find just to get an opportunity to look good afterwards keeping them at bay.

Not sure we need to thank him for that ...

winner69
06-09-2018, 09:51 AM
It’s all OK ...all of Clares appointmennts were in her Google calendar

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmXFv2wU4AAU_vh?format=jpg&name=medium

minimoke
06-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Entertainment News. Coming today the best entertainment money can buy. Turn into to Parliament TV at 2.00pm and listen to Clare Curran answering questions in the house ( Melissa Lee has, as I understand it been cobbled - hands tied behind her back, microphone removed, knees capped and fed a tranquiliser to give Clare a fighting chance). And on the undercard we have Michael Woodhouse to the Minister of Immigration explaining the refugee quota

winner69
06-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Q1 is a patsy question ....Labour MP asking a Minister

PAUL EAGLE to the Minister of Housing and Urban Development: What progress has he made towards the Government’s target of building 1,000 affordable KiwiBuild homes in 2018/19, 5,000 in 2019/20, and 10,000 in 2020/21?

And Q2 will have a short answer

Hon PAULA BENNETT to the Prime Minister: Does she have confidence in all her Ministers?

Joshuatree
06-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Im guessing its Nick.

minimoke
06-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Im guessing its Nick.Thats where my money is as well.

winner69
06-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Im guessing its Nick.

Kris said Nick in parliament the other day

minimoke
06-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Kris said Nick in parliament the other dayUnlike Clare Curran and Jacinda today. When the kitchen gets too hot, time to leave it.

blackcap
06-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Unlike Clare Curran and Jacinda today. When the kitchen gets too hot, time to leave it.

I do like Melissa Lee's line of questioning though :)

Joshuatree
06-09-2018, 03:45 PM
What exactly? What are the rules, any broken? She followed OIA protocols.
Mallard commented yesterday about National using G mail in their last year.

06-09-2018, 03:47 PM
And now she is on personal leave.

From the Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12120509

blackcap
06-09-2018, 03:49 PM

From the Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12120509

What a liar she is: "In response to questions from National's Melissa Lee, Curran assured Parliament that her staff had access to her email accounts."

Pull the other one.

Joshuatree
06-09-2018, 03:55 PM
"There is nothing specifically in the Cabinet Manual about use of alternate email accounts. However, ministers, in the vast majority of cases, use the parliamentary email for ministerial/government business," Hipkins said.

"There are very practical reasons why ministers sometimes use Gmail … It is good practice on these occasions to CC any Government business emails to their parliamentary emails. It is important to note also that Gmail use is subject to relevant transparency legislation: OIA, Public Records Act," Hipkins said in a statement.

Yep check back on nationals use of gmail etc.

BlackPeter
06-09-2018, 04:11 PM
What a liar she is: "In response to questions from National's Melissa Lee, Curran assured Parliament that her staff had access to her email accounts."

Pull the other one.

She is just using "alternative" facts. We should expect this from any government working together with New Zealand's very own populists.

Joshuatree
06-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Like a pack of dogs savaging a sheep.

BlackPeter
06-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Like a pack of dogs savaging a sheep.

Well yes, Clare Curran looked and answered pretty sheepish, didn't she? On the other hand Melissa Lee was doing an outstanding job - if we stay with your analogy like a well trained farm dog. The speaker again appeared to be quite out of his league ... and shouldn't he be impartial? But hey - Labour, what more can you say.

Haven't seen a pack, though - and come on, JT - nobody needs a pack of dogs to get this sheep down. The way she performed I would be concerned she falls over just moving from one paddock to the next :p: But maybe Labour sheep don't normally have to perform such difficult tasks. Maybe they are normally just standing at the trough and listening to farmer Winston and his wife Cindy?

minimoke
06-09-2018, 05:22 PM
Like a pack of dogs savaging a sheep.Step back from the keyboard. Stop insulting sheep.

minimoke
06-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Well yes, Clare Curran looked and answered pretty sheepish, didn't she? On the other hand Melinda Lee was doing an outstanding job - if we stay with your analogy Keeping with the analogy she was drafted by a shepherd who failed School C into a yard that got missed a shearing time. So left to her own devices she ended up woooly headed, eventually falling cast in the middle of a paddock. With only a duck left protecting her

minimoke
06-09-2018, 05:40 PM
In the interests of balance, National does have some problems though. With Clare Curran about to leave who do they drill down on next. Wally Haumaha with two complaints against him. Or is it Meka Whaitiri and her alleged bullying / Assault. Or is it the silence around their sex camp alcohol supplier or is is it the suggested appointment of Derek Handley. I don't know how you would choose. Thats without the gap in the police ministers dairy that we will find out about next week.

Joshuatree
06-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Keeping with the analogy she was drafted by a shepherd who failed School C into a yard that got missed a shearing time. So left to her own devices she ended up woooly headed, eventually falling cast in the middle of a paddock. With only a duck left protecting her

Yes did look like a rottweiler attacking a spaniel.

tga_trader
06-09-2018, 06:40 PM
...she falls over just moving from one paddock to the next...

Is that the same as 'waka jumping'? Not sure they're allowed to do that any more.

minimoke
07-09-2018, 12:55 PM

From the Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12120509Now she is a back bencher having resigned her last remaining portfolios. Weak leadership form Jacinda!

fungus pudding
07-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Now she is a back bencher having resigned her last remaining portfolios. Weak leadership form Jacinda!

She certainly proved to be the perfect replacement for David Benson Pope.

Joshuatree
07-09-2018, 01:04 PM
She was given a fair go , a few chances to get her greenhorn skills up to speed but obviously just isn't up to being a Minister. May be a very good policy person but def does not have the skillset to be front person.Fair enough.

winner69
07-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Probably did happen

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dmc-nWKUcAE28qB?format=jpg&name=medium

winner69
07-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Maybe Jacinda the one whose getting flustered ...and losing the plot

Ardern told Newstalk ZB's Chris Lynch - in an interview recorded at 8am this morning - that she would not fire Curran.

But it has now emerged the errant minister told Ardern last night that she would quit - and Ardern accepted her resignation.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12121097

minimoke
07-09-2018, 01:46 PM
May be a very good policy person I've seen no evidence of that. 8 years in opposition and not much to show for it.

minimoke
07-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Oh dear, our Prime Minister caught being very conservative with the truth. During an 8.00am radio interview no mention at all that Clare Curran had resigned. “we talked about just what was going on with her – just as you would expect…”, “I am not considering firing her” (or words to that effect).

And then a couple of hours later she says "Clare Curran contacted me last night to confirm her wish to resign as a Minister and I accepted that resignation,"

So much for transparency and integrity. Blah blah all is well in pretty fairy princess land.

blackcap
07-09-2018, 02:48 PM
From JT's favourite site "The Stranded"

“I could swear she seemed more capable when we were flatting. We even took turns cooking”

Joshuatree
07-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Empty vessels make the loudest noise

minimoke
07-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Empty vessels make the loudest noise
You forgot to post a link: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/most-watched-um-ah-havent-beleaguered-minister-clare-curran-offers-bumbling-explanation-using-gmail-government-business

Joshuatree
07-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/English); German: [ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔʏ̯də] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Standard_German) (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Loudspeaker.svg/11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schadenfreude-native-german.flac) listen (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Schadenfreude-native-german.flac)); lit. 'harm-joy') is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

minimoke
07-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/English); German: [ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔʏ̯də] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Standard_German) (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Loudspeaker.svg/11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schadenfreude-native-german.flac) listen (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Schadenfreude-native-german.flac)); lit. 'harm-joy') is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.
I take pleasure from an incompetent person no longer being in a position of power.

What isnt so pleasurable is a failure in leadership that allowed an incompetent a stage to further prove that incompetence. And leadership that is disingenuous as well as leadership that dalies over a bullying complaint and leadership that fails to be transparent with what happens in its youth camps and leadership that takes its policy leads from school children ...........

Baa_Baa
07-09-2018, 07:15 PM
I take pleasure from an incompetent person no longer being in a position of power.

Can you give us a balanced summary of what she's done in opposition and in government that is competent but outweighed in your opinion by what is incompetent?

A lot of the media commentary is predatory bigotted dogma, amplified by the to be expected opposition party rhetoric, imho.

westerly
07-09-2018, 07:24 PM
I've seen no evidence of that. 8 years in opposition and not much to show for it.

And the only thing to show after Nationals 8 years in power is how run down Govt. services have become following thier relentless drive to cut expenditure.

westerly

fungus pudding
07-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Whatever happened to eZ, who used to post absurd nonsense about the Labour party? I'm missing the frequent amusement.

winner69
07-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Whatever happened to eZ, who used to post absurd nonsense about the Labour party? I'm missing the frequent amusement.

He’s checking in still ......had a look what we were saying the other day

I think he can’t find anything good to rave about ....and can’t bring himself to defend the indefendabke

minimoke
07-09-2018, 10:00 PM
Can you give us a balanced summary of what she's done in opposition and in government that is competent
Yes I can
but outweighed in your opinion by what is incompetent?

A lot of the media commentary is predatory bigotted dogma, amplified by the to be expected opposition party rhetoric, imho.Lets look at the positive side of the ledger. And I'll paraphrase the Prime Minister who describes her as being "passionate" about her portfolios and "very hard working". Interesting traits, neither which apply to competence, but about the best I (and the prime minister) can come up with.

On the other side of the ledger.
She took instruction from Ministerial staff on how to work diaries and phones and the need to be transparent and that every thing done was discoverable. Despite this she arranged an "off the record" meeting with Carol Hirschfield and lied about it.

Having been caught out on that and no doubt given further guidance she then went on to have another "off the record" meeting, outside usual work hours with Derek Handley. Apart from incompetence as covered above it is likely to be against any guidance she would have been given on the CTO recruitment process. Maybe thats where "passion" gets you.

As minister in charge of communications and open / transparent government she then went on to use her private Gmail account, despite having several government emails accounts, to conduct government business. At this stage just what went through those emails is unclear - but Mellissa Lee certainly has something else to bring up.

Finally when asked very simple questions in the House she fluffed it The truth is a very simple easy thing to say - but she could not get close to answering the questions let alone get anywhere near the truth. Her performance is described as the worst of any MP in the history of NZ parliament.

Oh - not finally. When required to appear in question time she failed to turn up. They really were not hard answers to question - but she did not have the strength of character or the foundation of truth to help her through.

Is that enough? I know the competence side is a bit light - but let me know what else I can put in there.

minimoke
07-09-2018, 10:06 PM
And the only thing to show after Nationals 8 years in power is how run down Govt. services have become following thier relentless drive to cut expenditure.

westerlyI'll hold my hand up and express my disappointment with National over their years in office. They moved far too "left" for my liking. (should have ditched working for families for example)

That aside they did have to deal with a Global Financial Crisis and an unrelenting series of catastrophic earthquakes. So I give them some credit for being distracted.

winner69
08-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Mini will not be surprised

Yet Ardern has kept Faafoi - who is deserving of a Cabinet place - outside Cabinet, leaving Curran's seat free. That indicates a reshuffle is in store and a woman is odds-on to fill that slot.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12121211

fungus pudding
08-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Yet Ardern has kept Faafoi - who is deserving of a Cabinet place - outside Cabinet, leaving Curran's seat free. That indicates a reshuffle is in store and a woman is odds-on to fill that slot.

Problem for Labour is finding capable, talented members in their ranks, further hindered with their silly quota targets.

westerly
08-09-2018, 11:18 AM

And there stands a misogenist ?

westerly

westerly
08-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Stop taking your frustration out on the cat.

westerly

minimoke
11-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Its taking Clare a while to sort through all her Gmails. How hard can that be? No doubt doing enough to stay in parlaiment on a wage rate at more than she is worth. Whats the bet Derek doesnt get eth CTO job!

Sgt Pepper
12-09-2018, 11:35 AM

All is well FP, we can rely on you to post absurd nonsense about the Labour Party for our amusement.

fungus pudding
12-09-2018, 12:41 PM
All is well FP, we can rely on you to post absurd nonsense about the Labour Party for our amusement.

Never done that before so not sure why you think I will start doing it now.

minimoke
12-09-2018, 01:47 PM
I'm the first to admit I'm a bit dense. But how does $1.5m for Andrew Littles recent Justice Summit add up. A two day talk fest with 600 participants who had to pay their own travel and accommodation. So thats $2,500 a head or $1,250 per person per day.

Say $150 a person venue hire, leaves me around $1,100 for lunch and other incidentals per day.

Even at a budgeted $700k it still seems like a lot for two days of chin wagging

And what did they achieve?

fungus pudding
12-09-2018, 02:30 PM
I'm the first to admit I'm a bit dense. But how does $1.5m for Andrew Littles recent Justice Summit add up. A two day talk fest with 600 participants who had to pay their own travel and accommodation. So thats $2,500 a head or $1,250 per person per day.

Say $150 a person venue hire, leaves me around $1,100 for lunch and other incidentals per day.

Even your figure of$150 per head venue hire seems way, way ,way over the top.

blackcap
12-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Even your figure of$150 per head venue hire seems way, way ,way over the top.

So what was the $1.5m spent on? Raises some serious issues.

fungus pudding
12-09-2018, 02:44 PM
So what was the $1.5m spent on?

It's beyond me. Seems incredible.

tga_trader
12-09-2018, 03:00 PM
So what was the $1.5m spent on?
Duh, consultants and working groups. You don't think they actually made decisions themselves do you? Which venue, what food, tablecloth colours....so many decisions.

macduffy
12-09-2018, 03:07 PM
But it's the gu'mt paying, isn't it?

;)

minimoke
12-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Duh, consultants and working groups. You don't think they actually made decisions themselves do you? Which venue, what food, tablecloth colours....so many decisions.You are dead right as it turns out "“PWC was contracted to run the event and the food was provided by a gourmet caterer which included decadent gluten-free chocolate brownie, pork, apricot and thyme pastries, four different kinds of croissants, luxury pies and chicken and cranberry casserole."

BlackPeter
12-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Duh, consultants and working groups. You don't think they actually made decisions themselves do you? Which venue, what food, tablecloth colours....so many decisions.

:lol::lol: post of the day! :lol::lol:

iceman
12-09-2018, 08:36 PM
And the next crusade from Labour and the Greens will be to make our children bilingual by force. To be honest, it is something I´ve been in favour of for decades. I am thoroughly disappointed in our school system for being completely useless with language tutoring and have always encouraged my children to seriously study languagaes, sadly to no avail. My 23 year old daughter who ´s been working in Europe for the last few months even said to me recently, "now I know what you mean dad". After working with young multi lingual Europeans, she realises how ill equipped she is for the World.
BUT, Maori it should not be. It should be a language that actually advances our young people´s standing in the World and gives them added opportunities. The Maori language is of NO USE whatsoever for them and this ¨politically correct¨ nonsense and social engineering infuriates me.

minimoke
12-09-2018, 09:38 PM
And the next crusade from Labour and the Greens will be to make our children bilingual by force. Thats not quite true. They plan to make it a "core" subject. Which means another Core Subject will need to be sidelined. Given the lack of te reo teachers (and virtually no trainees in the pipeline) its highly unlikely children will become bi-lingual. Unless there is a quota and bonus incentive scheme introduced at the Trainee level.

I'm at a loss - I thought it was a parents responsibility to teach a child how to at least converse in the "native" language" and to give them some exposure to the written word by the time they hit school.

I have no problem with other languages being introduced to the curriculum - but this should be a Board decision which would support the community aspirations. (My spawn have given French and Chinese a shot - but they pulled out. Maybe it was because I told them I wasnt funding a trip to France or China for two weeks. And I wouldn't mind if they could write English legibly)

Incidentally it is Hindi Language week this week so I look forward to more of this language over the next few days

Bjauck
13-09-2018, 02:05 PM
BUT, Maori it should not be. It should be a language that actually advances our young people´s standing in the World and gives them added opportunities. The Maori language is of NO USE whatsoever for them and this ¨politically correct¨ nonsense and social engineering infuriates me.
Maybe the government will be aiming for Te Reo to be given a similar to treatment to Irish in Ireland. I think Irish in Ireland has been promoted without detracting from other education and language-learning goals. At the same time as promoting Erse, Ireland has opened itself socially and has been able to develop its economy and international relationships. In comparison, its neighbour - mono-lingual England - seems to be withdrawing into itself and looks like it wants to increasingly disengage from its neighbours and other cultures.

BlackPeter
13-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Maybe the government will be aiming for Te Reo to be given a similar to treatment to Irish in Ireland. I think Irish in Ireland has been promoted without detracting from other education and language-learning goals. At the same time as promoting Erse, Ireland has opened itself socially and has been able to develop its economy and international relationships. In comparison, its neighbour - mono-lingual England - seems to be withdrawing into itself and looks like it wants to increasingly disengage from its neighbours and other cultures.

Actually - this is a great point. While not a great fan of making it compulsory at school to learn as second language something nobody outside of NZ (and hardly anybody in NZ) can speak ... I agree - it might well open minds.

As well - speaking from experience - the second language is the hardest to learn ... all languages afterwards come much easier.

The other argument for Te Reo would be that it is quite related to Malayan / Indonesian / Pacifica languages. At least some of these might be quite useful to learn ... and hey, if a foundation of Te Reo helps with that - why not? Talking with the neighbors is always better than shooting them ;);

minimoke
13-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Its taking Clare a while to sort through all her Gmails. How hard can that be? No doubt doing enough to stay in parliament on a wage rate at more than she is worth. Whats the bet Derek doesnt get the CTO job!
Even by today Clare hasn't finished "cleansing" her Gmail account. I suspect she has gone through a box or two of redaction pens. I wonder what the email between her and the Prime Minister said? More to come!

jonu
13-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Even by today Clare hasn't finished "cleansing" her Gmail account. I suspect she has gone through a box or two of redaction pens. I wonder what the email between her and the Prime Minister said? More to come!

Pretty easy to search for emails between yourself and a particular person or entity on email servers. About 5 seconds typing normally does it.

minimoke
13-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Pretty easy to search for emails between yourself and a particular person or entity on email servers. About 5 seconds typing normally does it.
You know that, I know that and anyone with at least half a clue about email would know that. Which makes me wonder why our Prime Minister would think Clare Curran had the competence to fill the Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media job, let alone be let loose to make a recommendation to decide who the next Chief Technology Officer would be. Clare is likely still trying to figure out where the "delete" key is on her keyboard.

Bjauck
13-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Actually - this is a great point. While not a great fan of making it compulsory at school to learn as second language something nobody outside of NZ (and hardly anybody in NZ) can speak ... I agree - it might well open minds.... Knowledge, acceptance and confidence (as opposed to arrogance) in the attributes of the country and culture in which you are brought up (and live) probably creates positivity, which in turn has consequence in more "useful" "international" aspects in the way you conduct yourself. I imagine that would be especiallly true for Maori, who until about the 1960's were actively discouraged from speaking the Maori language.

minimoke
13-09-2018, 07:48 PM
I imagine that would be especiallly true for Maori, who until about the 1960's were actively discouraged from speaking the Maori language.Dont forget it was Maori who actively encouraged to speak English. And then to learn to read and write in English. It suited their agenda at the time. There was nothing to prevent maori from communicating in maori within their own communities, which is no different from the Chinese (who were essentially forced into English language to come to NZ), the dutch, the Germans or the variety of other non-English language communites that continues even to today.

iceman
13-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Actually - this is a great point. While not a great fan of making it compulsory at school to learn as second language something nobody outside of NZ (and hardly anybody in NZ) can speak ... I agree - it might well open minds.

As well - speaking from experience - the second language is the hardest to learn ... all languages afterwards come much easier.

The other argument for Te Reo would be that it is quite related to Malayan / Indonesian / Pacifica languages. At least some of these might be quite useful to learn ... and hey, if a foundation of Te Reo helps with that - why not? Talking with the neighbors is always better than shooting them ;);

Also from experience I agree that after the 2nd language, it becomes easier. So I´d prefer precious language education time for my children was spent on them learning something useful in the World such as (but not limited to) Spanish or Chinese (Mandarin), not Te Reo that is only spoken by a few thousand people in the World, all of which speak English also as a first language.

As for Ireland teaching Irish with great results, good on them. We could also look at all the Scandinavian countries and most of the continental European countries where young people all learn multiple languages. The result is they have (to quote Bjauck) " opened themselves socially and have been able to develop their economies and international relationships."

After our kids and grandkids learning a useful language, it should be easy for them to learn Te Reo, if they so choose.

Bjauck
13-09-2018, 10:43 PM
Dont forget it was Maori who actively encouraged to speak English.And then to learn to read and write in English. It suited their agenda at the time. Like people from China to Sweden learn (as a second language) American English as the lingua franca of international commerce and research?

There was nothing to prevent maori from communicating in maori within their own communities, which is no different from the Chinese (who were essentially forced into English language to come to NZ), the dutch, the Germans or the variety of other non-English language communites that continues even to today. Maori iwi had their own community - Aotearoa-NZ - which became a hostile environment for them to continue to use Te Reo Maori. Unlike the Chinese, Dutch or German families in NZ, they did not have to travel to the other side of the World for this to happen. Unlike the Chinese, Dutch and German speakers there was no other land of their mother tongue.

Further to the comparison with Irish - Irish people too used to treat Irish with a measure of disdain as a "peasant" language. The reason for this was that the imperial language was English. In order to access education, belong to the professions or to increase your chances of not succumbing to starvation and poverty, you had to learn the language of the rulers. I think that the English (from the time of Eliabeth I onwards) deliberately tried to eradicate Irish so that at one stage a greater percent of Welsh people spoke Cymraeg than Irish who spoke Erse.

minimoke
14-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Maori iwi had their own community - Aotearoa-NZ - .Well, thats not entirely true. "Community" infers co-operation amongst the people within that community.

Iwi did have their own community - but Hapu tended to have their own defined territory. Given they were essentially a stone age, roaming, tribal, warring people their territory tended to overlap other Hapu territory. This of course resulted in disputes. As a community some disputes were settled by mediation. As an enlarged community the disputes were settled by inter-marriage. And as separate communities they were settled by warfare. Thats how they ensured they didnt succumb to starvation or poverty

New Zealand, with this Iwi / Hapu structure was a hostile environment pre-colonisation. Complete with leaders, commoners and slaves. And within that structure the use of language was limited depending on where in the hierarchy you sat. The most obvious / media driven published being speaking rights - or the lack of rights of women on speaking during a powhiri.

Arguably the more things change, the more things stay the same.

minimoke
14-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Pretty easy to search for emails between yourself and a particular person or entity on email servers. About 5 seconds typing normally does it.Obviously she hasn't been able to delete the job offer and acceptance emails from her GMail Account. Handley (dont incompetents flock together) has managed to secure a $100,000 payout for Ministers Currans mishandling of the process. Also noticeably silent on the appointment has been our Prime Minster - whose hole she finds herself in is now somewhat deeper.

I'm hoping her TV show on Sunday will be her resignation - though I am preparing for disappointment

Edit. Oh and now we see more of how this open and transparent government is working "Woods issued the statement after Handley said the Government had reneged "

We are being ruled by a truly incompetent total group of people way out of their depth.

macduffy
14-09-2018, 11:32 AM
The technology debacle - the gift that keeps giving - for National.

:ohmy:

westerly
14-09-2018, 11:47 AM
The technology debacle - the gift that keeps giving - for National.

:ohmy:

Yeah , they need someone like Jerry Brownlee to get on the phone and give anyone who gets in the way a right royal talking to.

westerly

winner69
14-09-2018, 11:56 AM
I have ‘diary issues’ as well

minimoke
14-09-2018, 12:25 PM
I have ‘diary issues’ as well
How many people does the PM have running her diary? I have no idea - but clearly they are incompetent as well.

To be fair though, it must get very tricky trying to decide which appointments should go in the Diary and which ones dont.

stoploss
14-09-2018, 03:00 PM
How many people does the PM have running her diary? I have no idea - but clearly they are incompetent as well.

To be fair though, it must get very tricky trying to decide which appointments should go in the Diary and which ones dont.
Talk is it’s all getting too much for her ...
I have some sympathy but the Labour party had 9 years to groom some talent and have failed to do this . In addition the deal they signed with Winston ( we didn’t get to see) seems to give him a lot of latitude .No wonder Helen has been in the background , but is it too little too late ?

Bjauck
14-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Well, thats not entirely true. "Community" infers co-operation amongst the people within that community.....
....New Zealand, with this Iwi / Hapu structure was a hostile environment pre-colonisation. Complete with leaders, commoners and slaves..... Being discussed was language and the hostile environment for Māori language - In the context of the Māori language even tribal enemies Co-operated to converse in the one language in Aotearoa! There were regional Variations as in English.

However in relation to a hostile environment more generally - the spread of the English of the colonisers so often accompanied the commercial-scale spread of slavery and the imposition of the legal and social structure of the colonisers resulting in a hostile environment to local self-determination and culture around the World. After the English had got bored with clobbering each other with the end of the English civil war they then turned to clobbering other people - or dividing and ruling - other peoples’ Lands! NZ at least escaped the commercial slavery which marked the earlier period of the British Empire.

minimoke
14-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Talk is it’s all getting too much for her ...
I have some sympathy but the Labour party had 9 years to groom some talent and have failed to do this . In addition the deal they signed with Winston ( we didn’t get to see) seems to give him a lot of latitude .No wonder Helen has been in the background , but is it too little too late ?Well, I have zero sympathy.

Ask any new parent how hard a job it is and they will unanimously tell you it is damn tough. It was Jacindas choice to remain PM - even withe the legions of little helpers and RNZAF aircraft to help out.

It was the PM (along with the party) who decided to go with Winston. Ask anyone and they would have said that was always going to be problematic (even if you were National or Labour)

It was the PM who decided to use gender quotas as a basis for cabinet selection rather than merit. Anyone will tell you that is fraught with risk - the main one being incompetent people get promoted above their ability.

It was the PM who knew what talent (or lack of) she had to work with. She is the one who decided to push on ahead with a dehydrated puddle talent pool.

She made her bed - she can go lie in it. (as can the Labour voters who really need to be asking themselves how it is that they were so easily swayed to get in behind her).

In the meantime clock is ticking towards 4.30 on Friday afternoon. Cant be long before we hear about Meka Whaitiri.

minimoke
14-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Well, Im bamboozled. How does Chris Hipkins get to spend $3m on two summits. This time having a chat to people in Christchurch ($1.41m - around 700 people over two days) and $1.26m for approx 700 people over two days in Auckland.

Does this government have the faintest clue what a budget it, what things cost, and how to extract value for money spent?

Someones talking the piss!

iceman
14-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Well, Im bamboozled. How does Chris Hipkins get to spend $3m on two summits. This time having a chat to people in Christchurch ($1.41m - around 700 people over two days) and $1.26m for approx 700 people over two days in Auckland.

Does this government have the faintest clue what a budget it, what things cost, and how to extract value for money spent?

Someones talking the piss!

But this from the Herald so no worries !! : " A spokesman for Ardern said today she had spoken to Hipkins, and all ministers were clear about her expectations on the costs of such summits."

BlackPeter
14-09-2018, 06:00 PM
But this from the Herald so no worries !! : " A spokesman for Ardern said today she had spoken to Hipkins, and all ministers were clear about her expectations on the costs of such summits."

Does this mean Cindy approves of $1000 per person and day for entertainment? Well, I guess if you want it all singing and dancing it might not be that much. At the end it is just the dumb old taxpayer footing the bill - and raising taxes, this is one thing Labour is really good at.

iceman
14-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Does this mean Cindy approves of $1000 per person and day for entertainment? Well, I guess if you want it all singing and dancing it might not be that much. At the end it is just the dumb old taxpayer footing the bill - and raising taxes, this is one thing Labour is really good at.

I suppose we will never find out what she thinks or approves of, with her cancelling radio interview with Heather Du-Plessis Allan and her scheduled weekend appearances on The Nation and Q&A.

I see Derek Handley also got paid $ 107k for 3 months pay and for moving his family from New York to take up the job that he never started, but had been promised and now won't get !!! What blimmin fiasco.

Raz
14-09-2018, 09:11 PM
And the next crusade from Labour and the Greens will be to make our children bilingual by force. To be honest, it is something I´ve been in favour of for decades. I am thoroughly disappointed in our school system for being completely useless with language tutoring and have always encouraged my children to seriously study languagaes, sadly to no avail. My 23 year old daughter who ´s been working in Europe for the last few months even said to me recently, "now I know what you mean dad". After working with young multi lingual Europeans, she realises how ill equipped she is for the World.

Placing the cultural issues aside there s good reasons for te reo from an educational/development perspective.

Actually te reo is a great second language to learn, it is a relatively easy language to learn and a great spring board to becoming multilingual. Even if they just learnt te reo and did not go onto learn an additional language the linguistics ability will be greatly enhanced.

minimoke
14-09-2018, 10:02 PM
I suppose we will never find out what she thinks or approves of, with her cancelling radio interview with Heather Du-Plessis Allan and her scheduled weekend appearances on The Nation and Q&A.
.Jacinda is spending time on hwat a Kind, transparent goverenmetn actually means.

Then she is going to sit down with a calculator and calendar. Shes going to take 14 September less one month = teh date Handley accepted a job offer. Then shes going to go back to all her press conferences, statements in teh house and media statements and figure out why it was the teeny weeny fact that Curran had actually offered a job to someone was something that was not mentioned at all. And then shes going to realise that her definitions of a kind, transparent and open government does not actually match her actions

Then shes going to do the country a favour and resign

artemis
15-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Reports coming out now that the catering bill for the justice summit - just catering - $880,000. Not official reports AFAIK but the costs are to be released soon we shall see.

iceman
15-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Audrey Young reckons the 2nd honeymoon is over for the Government, the one between Labour and NZ First : https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12125151

winner69
15-09-2018, 05:36 PM
At least under National you get a 90 day probationary period - Labour will fire you before you start.

winner69
15-09-2018, 05:45 PM
What’s behind this mini?

"The Prime Minister also needs to assure New Zealanders that the handling of Mr Handley's citizenship was above board, since he was quoted back in March saying: 'The Government changed and in its first month, this was done'," he said. (He being Bridges)

BlackPeter
15-09-2018, 07:20 PM
At least under National you get a 90 day probationary period - Labour will fire you before you start.

Classic!

To be fair, though - I don't think National would have hired a CTO who's main achievement was to destroy the shareholder capital of not just one but two New Zealand startups ... no matter how smooth he might be able to talk in secret meetings with ex-"open government" minsters ...

Baa_Baa
15-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Classic!

To be fair, though - I don't think National would have hired a CTO who's main achievement was to destroy the shareholder capital of not just one but two New Zealand startups ... no matter how smooth he might be able to talk in secret meetings with ex-"open government" minsters ...

Hopefully National would not have even considered his application for the Poorly-defined role of CTO NZ. But we will never know about that.

There were so many superbly qualified applicants, it beggars belief that Handley could have risen to the top. He has no cred in NZ ICT.

I suspect the whole thing will be dumbed down to an impotent quango, but there is a small chance Labour will see the opportunity to strengthen the science advisor role.

minimoke
15-09-2018, 11:39 PM
What’s behind this mini?

"The Prime Minister also needs to assure New Zealanders that the handling of Mr Handley's citizenship was above board, since he was quoted back in March saying: 'The Government changed and in its first month, this was done'," he said. (He being Bridges)I.ve no idea. Its all a total SNAFU. Handley was born in Hong Kong (?) so maybe some issue with his parents or something. Who knows.

But citizenship status of second generation people is not a route Adern should go down. That Gorliz G in the Green Party is coming under more suspicion with her roots (not a "refugee", not a defender of war victims ec)

BlackPeter
16-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Sounds like it is all getting a bit much for Winston.

First he remembers and claims that all of his MP's signed a contract which would have forced them to resign from parliament or pay a hefty penalty if they leave the party (for whatever reason even if they are fired form the party).

Than he claims that he had a memory lapse remembering they signed when they didn't.

I do see here a number of things to be concerned about. MP's should be only responsible to their electorate and to their conscience. Getting MP's to sign a "follow your party leader no matter what" order is clearly not a desirable requirement for any MP in a democratic system.

MP's need to disclose any financial interests. Peters expected them to take this interest on without declaring it. A severe breach of the standing orders. I call this crookedness.

Ah yes - and Peters memory lapse about them not signing it - are these the early signs of dementia? I guess, nothing wrong with that - only human, but not necessarily a suitable qualification to run the prime minister and her party and with that our country?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=12124674&ref=twitter

jonu
16-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Just how dumb does PM Cindy think the country is?

A 'blueprint' 12 months into govt, still with no detail, just lofty ambitions with no measurables or clear policy.

First we had the untransparent Transparency Minister, now the opaque vision as they start to finally come under scrutiny and the lack of cohesion in the coalition is exposed.

This is political cynicism at a level that is frightening. Made all the worse as it is the exact opposite of everything they promised.

BlackPeter
17-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Hmm - she is talking about the achievements she is proud of, but forgot to detail them.

From memory - they did deliver:

- increased income tax
- new tourist tax
- increased petrol tax and increased road user charges
- a highly incompetent and wasteful government - good only for caterers
- the largest number of well catered for talk groups ever - bigliest talk feast of the world.
- clear evidence that a women quota alone does not improve goverment (thanks Clare, for proving that point ...)
- higher prices for all of us through a dropping Kiwidollar (sure, some sugar rush for exporters, but not sustainable and certainly not a reason to be proud of)
- lowest business confidence since the aftermaths of the GFC
- they killed for pure ideological reasons and against expert advise the future of oil and gas exploration in New Zealand - our children will need to pay for it with job losses and the environment will suffer (given that we still will use the stuff - just imported and mined with less regard for the environment);
- they hugely inflated the wage bill we all will need to pay (either through taxes or through dropping employment numbers) and
- ah yes, they killed off quite successful charter schools and boosted the strangle hold of a selfish union.

They promised but didn't manage to improve our justice system (and I think this certainly would need improving)
They promised that New Zealand might take a bit fairer share of the refugees quota - and they didn't deliver. Quite a shame for a country which is per head off the population in the top 10% of the wealth lists.

Ah yes - and they promised to build 10.000 houses more per year. How many did they deliver so far - was it 36? And I am not even sure, whether these have been on top of the usual quota ...

And Cindy says she is proud of her governments achievements?

Really? She must be easy to please.

tga_trader
17-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Hmm - she is talking about the achievements she is proud of...
But she had a baby, surely that's worth a few votes

minimoke
17-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Just how dumb does PM Cindy think the country is?

A 'blueprint' 12 months into govt, still with no detail, just lofty ambitions with no measurables or clear policy.

First we had the untransparent Transparency Minister, now the opaque vision as they start to finally come under scrutiny and the lack of cohesion in the coalition is exposed.

This is political cynicism at a level that is frightening. Made all the worse as it is the exact opposite of everything they promised.
Someone needs to give her a dictionary. A "plan" or a "blueprint" is something that has detail. It will list the resources needed to achieve the aim. And it will have a timeframe.

What she has done is given a statement on the destination. But absolutely no detail on how to get there.

I could dissect the waffle. But cant be bothered. I will however pin this up "The One Billion Trees programme is another way that we are generating jobs and environmental benefits, and comes with the added benefit of creating an actual live online tree counter." Because all i really want from this government is an on line tree counter - as long as they are Rubicon sourced trees.

BlackPeter
17-09-2018, 11:48 AM
But she had a baby, surely that's worth a few votes

True - forgot that. But than, don't tell Clarke that the baby is a government achievement :p;

winner69
18-09-2018, 10:35 AM
So Jacinda knows what this weeks GDP figure is?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/107160622/prime-ministers-office-admits-mistake-over-arderns-economic-growth-hint-claim

Good to know the economy is growing quite strongly

You'd think it's all because of Jacinda and her team .....but governments don't influence economic growth that much anyway

minimoke
18-09-2018, 10:43 AM
So Jacinda knows what this weeks GDP figure is?

Another porky. Apparently the information is embargoed by Statistics until 10:45am on thursday and the PM doesnt get to hear until then. Maybe shes confusing unaudited crown accounts with GDP.

As an aside - more incompetence with a Labour Policy Development Group. Announcement on Tax Working Group due to be released at 11.00 am Thursday. How do they expect the media to be in two places at once.

winner69
18-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Jacinda’s inside knowledge moved the forex market ....funny eh

But doesn’t she want a low NZD???

macduffy
18-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Another porky. Apparently the information is embargoed by Statistics until 10:45am on thursday and the PM doesnt get to hear until then. Maybe shes confusing unaudited crown accounts with GDP.

As an aside - more incompetence with a Labour Policy Development Group. Announcement on Tax Working Group due to be released at 11.00 am Thursday. How do they expect the media to be in two places at once.

Well, of course, they don't! But it will dilute the coverage of what might be two fairly lukewarm announcements.
;)

minimoke
18-09-2018, 04:52 PM
More incompetence.

Seems like Clare Curran offered Handley the job over the phone - but this is something that the State Services does. And apparently the PM was being kept in the loop on progress.

In a rare move the Speaker has instructed labour to cough up all emails so an appropriately constructed question can be answered.

(and still we haven't heard about Meka Waitiri. Really how hard is it. Two parties. She said / He said. It should take a couple of days to investigate. Not more than 2 weeks. More incompetence in process)

westerly
18-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Jacinda’s inside knowledge moved the forex market ....funny eh

But doesn’t she want a low NZD???

Should drop the petrol price eh?
Hosking the far right star of radio ,tv, and the print media. God help us.

westerly

iceman
18-09-2018, 08:09 PM

Give her a break Mini. Her assistant has already admitted she made a mistake and confused the 2. You can´t expect her to be on top of such small detail after only 12 months in the job !

Vaygor1
19-09-2018, 04:50 AM
Give her a break Mini. Her assistant has already admitted she made a mistake and confused the 2. You can´t expect her to be on top of such small detail after only 12 months in the job !

Give her a break?
What on earth for?
Incompetence and mistrust?

Update: I just realised your post probably has a fair degree of sarcasm Iceman : )

minimoke
19-09-2018, 06:52 AM
Give her a break?
What on earth for?

Update: I just realised your post probably has a fair degree of sarcasm Iceman : )I dont know - Iceman might be right.

Maybe its actually useless public servants.

They obviously failed to properly tell Clair how to use the complex government email system. And the State Services gave her no information on how to run a recruitment process.

Jacindas office people obviously have little idea how to work a diary. They are bound to get acronmyns like GDP and CPI and TAX all confused when document come across their desk.

So its perfectly understandable that a Minister might get a wee bit cross with these office workers who must be very thin skinned and go running to mumma when they get a air and reasonable telling off.

I'll be more considerate in my posts in the future.

BlackPeter
19-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Letter from the NZSA to the Prime Minister pointing out serious failures of our market authorities and signifcant delays for stakeholders to access justice in the case of CBL and WYN. Justice delayed is justice denied. The NZSA asks the Prime Miinister for action:

https://www.nzshareholders.co.nz/pdf/correspondence/PM%20FMA%20Ltr%20110918.pdf

Not sure I hold my breath, but good on the NZSA for trying!

iceman
19-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Give her a break?
What on earth for?

Update: I just realised your post probably has a fair degree of sarcasm Iceman : )

Haha. Yes it sure was tongue firmly in cheek. It is quite shocking and seriously questions whether she has a grasp on the job she's trying to do, as Barry Soper points out in the Herald today : https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12127536

Bjauck
19-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Give her a break Mini. Her assistant has already admitted she made a mistake and confused the 2. You can´t expect her to be on top of such small detail after only 12 months in the job ! Surely the PM was correct with her answer, it is just that the interviewer asked the wrong question! It is what I used to tell my teachers when they thought I failed a test.

minimoke
19-09-2018, 11:45 AM
I'm looking forward to the Minister of Education explaining what a taxpayer funded "tiriti led" university is. I thought we already had one in Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi

Bjauck
19-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Maybe the PM was answering question out of synch as with the old Two Ronnies skit....
THE TWO RONNIES: Mastermind Sketch with Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRx_Uv7liE

....but more seriously since she has returned from her leave, she has looked like a juggler with lots of plates spinning on poles trying to keep them spinning and not letting them crash to the ground.

tga_trader
20-09-2018, 09:27 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12128430
Getting a payout (and formal apology) from the government, for being inconvenienced, for smoking meth, in a government subsidised house, while the government is paying your living costs.

I sometimes wonder who has made the wrong life choices. Them, or me working 60hr weeks and paying a boatload of tax to cover this.

Joshuatree
20-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Sounds like money is too high a priority for you and your life is out of balance. Especially if you cant tell the difference between right and wrong.

tga_trader
20-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Sounds like money is too high a priority for you and your life is out of balance. Especially if you cant tell the difference between right and wrong.
No not at all. I don't even like money. I only work harder so the government has more money to spend. I'm just that patriotic.

minimoke
20-09-2018, 10:18 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12128430
Getting a payout (and formal apology) from the government, for being inconvenienced, for smoking meth, in a government subsidised house, while the government is paying your living costs.

I sometimes wonder who has made the wrong life choices. Them, or me working 60hr weeks and paying a boatload of tax to cover this.They're not being compensated for smoking meth. They are being compensated for appalling decision making by Housing NZ - who used incomplete literature and research to put the NZ tax payer to enormous expense remedying houses where no remedy was required. The tennants were collateral damage. National had an incompetent minster in charge of housing and I dont think you have to look far to see who the Leaker is.

minimoke
20-09-2018, 10:21 AM
No not at all. I don't even like money. I only work harder so the government has more money to spend. I'm just that patriotic.Good on ya. Would you mind ramping it up to 80 hours. Theres a few more refugees to pay for and we dont want any NZ'ers left in poverdy or homeless because of them. (I wonder if the ConAir Kiwis will get the same benefits?)

tga_trader
20-09-2018, 10:27 AM
They're not being compensated for smoking meth. They are being compensated for appalling decision making by Housing NZ - who used incomplete literature and research to put the NZ tax payer to enormous expense remedying houses where no remedy was required. The tennants were collateral damage. National had an incompetent minster in charge of housing and I dont think you have to look far to see who the Leaker is.
Haha clearly my post came across as too serious. The compensation figures are less than a rounding error to the government, and a darn sight less than was being spent on testing and remedial work. Id like to think a rehabilitation program was offered to the tenants as they were turfed out though.

fungus pudding
20-09-2018, 10:30 AM
No not at all. I don't even like money. I only work harder so the government has more money to spend. I'm just that patriotic.

I'm the same.

Joshuatree
20-09-2018, 10:38 AM
You mean Probiotic, fungus?;)

blackcap
20-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Theres a few more refugees to pay for and we dont want any NZ'ers left in poverdy or homeless because of them.

This COL is all about possidividy :) No poverdy to be seen anymore. Lets do this.

winner69
20-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Well done Jacinda and her team ...GDP up 1.0% in June quarter ....thats annualised 4.0% ....wow

Joshuatree
20-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Well thats awkward lol.

minimoke
20-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Well done Jacinda and her team ...GDP up 1.0% in June quarter ....thats annualised 4.0% ....wowIn the MSM "Agriculture, forestry and fishing led the growth, up 4.1 per cent in the quarter, bouncing back after a slow start to the year. Boosted by strong dairy production, agriculture had its strongest quarter of growth since September 2014.The mining sector contracted sharply, hit by an unexpected outage at one of New Zealand's major oil fields. As a sector, mining dropped by 20 per cent, the largest quarterly fall in almost 30 years."

The COL has been elativly silent on agriculture. Given Fonteras problems it must be the other players in the milk market doing the good stuff. Forestry has yet to benefit from 1b trees - I dont think a single one has been planted yet. Not sure about fishing.

But we do know Labour have been active in Oil and Gas - no more new permits. No surprise with mines which will only get worse with zero carbon the aim.

winner69
20-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Life’s not so easy now that guy Kirton has gone from Labour

He used to tweet every bit of good news that Labour could take credit for ....in a few minutes of it coming out

Now I’ve got to go looking for it ....Kirton had his uses

minimoke
20-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Life’s not so easy now that guy Kirton has gone from Labour

He used to tweet every bit of good news that Labour could take credit for ....in a few minutes of it coming out

Now I’ve got to go looking for it ....Kirton had his usesA monthly tweet isnt much of a loss is it?

Probably even less to tweet about now,

Joshuatree
20-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Across the board
Statistics New Zealand said the growth was broad-based across the economy, with 15 of the 16 categories it bases its calculations on expanding in the quarter.
NZ's dairy-led bounce (https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/107227755/dairy-production-helps-new-zealand-economy-pick-up-speed)

minimoke
20-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Meka Whaitiri. And another one gone, and another one bites the dust

winner69
20-09-2018, 03:58 PM

Problems with the old diary might of been the root cause of the fracas ....from the Stuff story

It is understood the incident happened while Whaitiri was in Gisborne for an announcement by the Prime Minister and other government ministers which she missed because of a communication breakdown in her office.

minimoke
20-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Haha clearly my post came across as too serious. The compensation figures are less than a rounding error to the government, and a darn sight less than was being spent on testing and remedial work. Id like to think a rehabilitation program was offered to the tenants as they were turfed out though.
Next issue is what will happen to private sector rental providers given this action

fungus pudding
20-09-2018, 04:17 PM

It sounds like one of Helen Clarke's 'sackings', whereby she'll be back in a few months.

winner69
20-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Like the tag The To Do List Government

https://www.noted.co.nz/currently/politics/is-the-government-all-talk-no-action/

blackcap
20-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Good to see Meka the Muss is gone. Jacinda finally grow a pair or just getting too untenable? Having her there on the back benches may still play into the opposition hands though. The Handley/Curren/Ardern unholy trinity is not going to go away in a hurry either. Luckily for princess stardust, she can go gloat about some more refugees at the UN this weekend.

blackcap
23-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Mega Fightery might still have some more challenges coming when Cindy gets back...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12130230

Joshuatree
23-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Another reality check for the blessed biased sheepies, hope their brains dont short circuit.:t_up:

.NZ keeps triple A credit rating | RNZ News (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4urnlgNDdAhXIfLwKHTYQD80QqOcBMAd6BAgEE AM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.radionz.co.nz%2Fnews%2Fbusin ess%2F367071%2Fnz-keeps-triple-a-credit-rating&usg=AOvVaw2DEDk0rWQhA6oCc7OeWFe7)

RGR367
23-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Another reality check for the blessed biased sheepies, hope their brains dont short circuit.:t_up:

.NZ keeps triple A credit rating | RNZ News (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4urnlgNDdAhXIfLwKHTYQD80QqOcBMAd6BAgEE AM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.radionz.co.nz%2Fnews%2Fbusin ess%2F367071%2Fnz-keeps-triple-a-credit-rating&usg=AOvVaw2DEDk0rWQhA6oCc7OeWFe7)

I'll be surprised too if was lower by a notch. This NZ First wag gov't hasn't done bad enough to justify a lower rating rate.

winner69
23-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Doing some research found this piece of poetry by Ronald Meek. Was first published in 1940 and things don’t seem to be changed much since those times.

An M.P.’s Life for Me

Hi diddle dee dee
An M.P.s life for me
You get the run of Bellamy’s
And pleasant trips across the sea
Hi diddle dee di
You’ve got to learn to lie
And if your wife or mother lacks
The wherewithal to back the hacks
You just increase the income tax -
An M.P.s life for me

Hi diddle dee dee
An M.P.’s life for me
You get a car that calls at four
The petrol coupons by the score -
Hi diddle dee do
You ought to join the show
The bars are open after six
And if you are landed in a fix
You blame it on the Bolsheviks -
An M.P.s life for me

Hi diddle dee dee
An M.P.s life for me
You catch the strikers on the hip
By bringing in a censorship -
Hi diddle dee daw
You influence the Law
And if the people don’t obey
In gaol you lock them all away
Except of course the B.M.A -
An M.P.s life for me

Ronald Meek

Meek was an interesting character.

Joshuatree
24-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Truckometer looking good too

Truckometer (https://www.anz.co.nz/about-us/economic-markets-research/truckometer/)

Raz
25-09-2018, 04:49 AM
To be fair, any leader of a small country is only going to be of international interest if they have some novelty value. Unless there's some human interest angle it's not a story, who cares what a small country has to say..get that.. just wish when I go to NYC did not have to constantly explain the oddity that is our leaders...at least the last one was easier to explain away...and you have to soften the kiwi accent if you want to be taken seriously at the UN and around there...Key never cared for that as well...MFAT must try with our leaders but not listened to!!??

Joshuatree
25-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Not sure what your point is Raz.

Meanwhile the positivity continues.

Growth returns to lending, quarterly banking survey shows (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/366785/growth-returns-to-lending-quarterly-banking-survey-shows)
The rebound in bank fortunes seemed to be at odds with the slide in business sector sentiment, he said.
"It will be interesting to see how the next couple of quarter's results behave as there are contradictory indicators - with, most notably, business confidence still down while other indicators are more positive."

minimoke
25-09-2018, 10:59 AM
You know that, I know that and anyone with at least half a clue about email would know that. Which makes me wonder why our Prime Minister would think Clare Curran had the competence to fill the Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media job, let alone be let loose to make a recommendation to decide who the next Chief Technology Officer would be. Clare is likely still trying to figure out where the "delete" key is on her keyboard.No wonder - the truth comes out in the end. This process was all a bit "star wars" for poor old Clare. Shes obviously living in a galaxy so far far away from here and was totally clueless on what happens pon PLanet Earth.

Edit - the less said about the PM's response in Parliament to questions the better - we don't want to spoil her image now massaged with photos a Darling Baby Neve. Patently obvious "the most open and transparent government" is hypocrisy at its best.

RGR367
25-09-2018, 11:28 AM
................................. - we don't want to spoil her image now massaged with photos a Darling Baby Neve. Patently obvious "the most open and transparent government" is hypocrisy at its best.

That "image" will be overshadowed if and when the Dotard and Rocketman appear on the stage.

JBmurc
25-09-2018, 01:26 PM
What a bunch of muppets... not that National were great but this is like going from the frying pan into the fire

https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/09/why-business-confidence-has-fallen/#more-410829

Bjauck
25-09-2018, 02:14 PM
What a bunch of muppets... not that National were great but this is like going from the frying pan into the fire

https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/09/why-business-confidence-has-fallen/#more-410829

Re Kiwibuild - anything that involves a lottery creates winners and losers and can't be taken seriously. It would be better to spend taxpayer money elsewhere.

Re TWG. Too many conditions were put on it to placate vested interests so that some issues will only be tackled half-heartedly. Will half-hearted reforms end up making things worse?

blackcap
25-09-2018, 02:15 PM
"Derek Handley might be a goose, but no one deserves to be treated the way he was. One thing is clear, he is not happy and decided to rain on Cindy’s parade. Instead of gushy news article,s she is now being hounded about her truthiness.

But with all these emails and texts being dumped… we should now call Derek Handley “RawSnark”.

The rough sequence of events looks something like this:

Derek Handley tells his mate Jacinda Ardern he wants the position.
Ardern sends Handley her private email address for further “private” discussion.
Government cancels first recruitment round under direction of Ardern who has found the candidate she wants.
Handley is given a clear and easy run for the job.
Handley gets offered the job and accepts verbally.
Curran busted by the MSM for her part in the process, including the secret meetings and communications.
Ardern covers for Curran and goes soft on her, only partially sacking her. In return, Curran keeps Ardern’s part in the whole mess a secret.
Curran eventually becomes the sacrificial lamb and resigns after she has little other option.
Ardern lies in parliament about her dealings with Handley."

https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/09/derek-hangry-spoils-cindys-big-apple-party/

Bjauck
25-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Edit - the less said about the PM's response in Parliament to questions the better - we don't want to spoil her image now massaged with photos a Darling Baby Neve. Patently obvious "the most open and transparent government" is hypocrisy at its best.
More than other PMs we seem to be inundated with pictures of the PM's family - from the first hipster dude to the first baby. Mind you, Max Key rode the publicity wave too. Perhaps it's just the Americanisation of the PM role as the ageing Sovereign becomes a more remote feature in our constitution.

Joshuatree
25-09-2018, 02:52 PM
"Derek Handley might be a goose, but no one deserves to be treated the way he was. One thing is clear, he is not happy and decided to rain on Cindy’s parade. Instead of gushy news article,s she is now being hounded about her truthiness.

But with all these emails and texts being dumped… we should now call Derek Handley “RawSnark”.

The rough sequence of events looks something like this:

Derek Handley tells his mate Jacinda Ardern he wants the position.
Ardern sends Handley her private email address for further “private” discussion.
Government cancels first recruitment round under direction of Ardern who has found the candidate she wants.
Handley is given a clear and easy run for the job.
Handley gets offered the job and accepts verbally.
Curran busted by the MSM for her part in the process, including the secret meetings and communications.
Ardern covers for Curran and goes soft on her, only partially sacking her. In return, Curran keeps Ardern’s part in the whole mess a secret.
Curran eventually becomes the sacrificial lamb and resigns after she has little other option.
Ardern lies in parliament about her dealings with Handley."

https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/09/derek-hangry-spoils-cindys-big-apple-party/

Garbage in garbage out sump oil dregs again. Do you like the lowlife toobc, are you a mate of his?

blackcap
25-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Garbage in garbage out sump oil dregs again. Do you like the lowlife toobc, are you a mate of his?

Not a mate of his at all. Just good source of news and facts without left wing spin.

minimoke
25-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Garbage in garbage out sump oil dregs again. Do you like the lowlife toobc, are you a mate of his?Just look at the txt / email trail. The truth is revealed. She should be back in NZ in time to face more questions in the House. Unless her staff mangle her diary again.

blackcap
25-09-2018, 03:02 PM

Seems like Cindy is the lowlife if the texts/email thread are to be believed JT.

minimoke
25-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Lets just follow the paper trail a bit further.

Questions and answers in the house on 19 September
Hon Simon Bridges: Was there more than one text from or to Derek Handley from the Prime Minister?

Rt Hon JACINDA ARDERN: The text that I received, again, as I said, was in April. I did not directly reply to that text message on that day or engage with him on the CTO role. On the CTO role, I did not engage with Mr Handley via text message.

Now lets look at the evidence:
24 April. Handley to Adern txt with Handley saying “Also. A number of people have urged me to seriously consider this CTO thing - esp after first round didn’t move ahead. I think that role is more about society than technology so I’m not sure the average CIO or CTO is the answer.”
(note his feigned innocence – he had already been in touch with Curran about this by 3 March and on 12 March. I’m sure in the interests of matehood, ex flat mates and cabinet responsibility Curran would have let Adern know of this development)

25 April Handley is asking for Aderns email to send her a note with some starter thoughts
25 April: Adern sends Handly her private email address

So, in truth there were at least three txt’s and she did reply directly to Handley on that day.

westerly
25-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Not a mate of his at all. Just good source of news and facts without left wing spin.

More likely a source of right wing rhetoric applied to news copied from more legitimate sources. About as credible as Trump.

westerly

minimoke
25-09-2018, 07:01 PM
About as credible as Trump.

westerlyThat narrative needs to change now. Should be: "
About as credible as Adern"

blackcap
25-09-2018, 09:28 PM
Found this on Kiwiblog. Just had to share too funny.

JA: Del boy, Claire having a shocker, need to to some house cleaning..be in touch on the burner 5s.

DH: Um, ok? Why on the down low? Job secure right?

JA: Del boy, yeah…nah..Clare created a cluster and anything she touched is toast..I said use the burner BTW

DH: Ok, burner in play. You know the Mrs won’t be happy we moved back from the big apple to hicksville for nothing. Also, she’s still not happy we are in personal contact..ya know.. ��

JA: Cheque in my top drawer, sorry bro..off to the UN..hope all is good with the war office..XO

Joshuatree
26-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Just another low rent national blogg treating punters like mushrooms.

fungus pudding
26-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Just another low rent national blogg treating punters like mushrooms.

What is 'Just another low rent national blogg treating punters like mushrooms'? Or is this just another of your posts for mind-readers?

Joshuatree
26-09-2018, 10:09 AM
See above re Sump whale oil. BTW whale oils father was national party president until Michelle boag usurped him is my understanding.
kiwi blog run by national spinner david farrar. You can read all about them in the book "dirty politics".

Meanwhile retail sales are strong , just one more awkward fact for nationals we are doomed business sentiment spin.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiF35bClNfdAhVQUN4KHY_VAMIQFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzherald.co.nz%2Fbusiness%2F news%2Farticle.cfm%3Fc_id%3D3%26objectid%3D1211170 7&usg=AOvVaw2Cmej6YS4V51Hc2aQvVgxJ

winner69
26-09-2018, 12:05 PM
See above re Sump whale oil. BTW whale oils father was national party president until Michelle boag usurped him is my understanding.
kiwi blog run by national spinner david farrar. You can read all about them in the book "dirty politics".

Meanwhile retail sales are strong , just one more awkward fact for nationals we are doomed business sentiment spin.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiF35bClNfdAhVQUN4KHY_VAMIQFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzherald.co.nz%2Fbusiness%2F news%2Farticle.cfm%3Fc_id%3D3%26objectid%3D1211170 7&usg=AOvVaw2Cmej6YS4V51Hc2aQvVgxJ

And another record

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/51b37814/nz-posts-record-monthly-trade-deficit-in-august-on-higher-imported-fuel-costs.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NZ%20posts%20record%20monthly%20trade %20deficit%20in%20August%20on%20higher%20imported% 20fuel%20costs&utm_content=NZ%20posts%20record%20monthly%20trade% 20deficit%20in%20August%20on%20higher%20imported%2 0fuel%20costs+CID_e55803193888f4f0345712ac4a1494b6&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=httpwwwsharechatconzarticle51b37814nz-posts-record-monthly-trade-deficit-in-august-on-higher-imported-fuel-costshtml

minimoke
26-09-2018, 12:49 PM
And another record

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/51b37814/nz-posts-record-monthly-trade-deficit-in-august-on-higher-imported-fuel-costs.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NZ%20posts%20record%20monthly%20trade %20deficit%20in%20August%20on%20higher%20imported% 20fuel%20costs&utm_content=NZ%20posts%20record%20monthly%20trade% 20deficit%20in%20August%20on%20higher%20imported%2 0fuel%20costs+CID_e55803193888f4f0345712ac4a1494b6&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=httpwwwsharechatconzarticle51b37814nz-posts-record-monthly-trade-deficit-in-august-on-higher-imported-fuel-costshtmlThe cost of fuel (espoecially when a good portion of it is Govt controlled) is going to be a very real problem.The one thing people in poverdy need is affordable fuel so they can get to work. Labours petrol tax increases hits the poor the most - I dont know how Jacinda sleeps at night

blackcap
26-09-2018, 02:30 PM
The cost of fuel (espoecially when a good portion of it is Govt controlled) is going to be a very real problem.The one thing people in poverdy need is affordable fuel so they can get to work. Labours petrol tax increases hits the poor the most - I dont know how Jacinda sleeps at night

Interestingly I filled my tank in a place called Shannon today (just north of Levin and South of Palmerston North. I commented to the cashier that the price was relatively cheap here (2.19) and she said "yes here it is but not elsewhere, but the govt seems to know what they are doing. If they carry on like this they will wreck the economy." You could tell she was quite annoyed by petrol going up and this will cost Labour a lot of votes if it continues along this path.

fungus pudding
26-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Interestingly I filled my tank in a place called Shannon today (just north of Levin and South of Palmerston North. I commented to the cashier that the price was relatively cheap here (2.19) and she said "yes here it is but not elsewhere, but the govt seems to know what they are doing. If they carry on like this they will wreck the economy." You could tell she was quite annoyed by petrol going up and this will cost Labour a lot of votes if it continues along this path.

Labour will only lose votes if Simon has a baby, and as far as I know he's not even pregnant.

minimoke
26-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Labour will only lose votes if Simon has a baby, and as far as I know he's not even pregnant.Gee that baby is sure being used as a major marketing tool. NZ press its "hands Off" with photos (which I think is right) but lets haul the kid along to the UN for as many photo ops as possible. Talk about child exploitation.

As for Clark "Stay at home dad" (who doesn't seem to be doing much staying at home) I really hope he is taking the mick when he says ""I wish I could have captured the startled look on a Japanese delegation inside UN yesterday who walked into a meeting room in the middle of a nappy change." Have some respect man - delegates dont expect to walk into a pile of sh1tty nappies in a meeting room.

As for "first baby", baby brains obviously well engaged. (https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/un-debut-for-nz-s-first-baby-neve-as-ardern-addresses-assembly-20180925-p505sf.html)

Joshuatree
26-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Trump is the main culprit here with his Iran sanctions.Oil is up re 40% in the last year. Pretty myopic blaming the govt at the bottom of the world.

26-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Trump is the main culprit here with his Iran sanctions.Oil is up re 40% in the last year. Pretty myopic blaming the govt at the bottom of the world.

Another 3.5c tax attached from 1st October. Are you going to blame Trump for that?

Joshuatree
26-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Nope . Pointing out what the world has to pay since 2 million barrels day taken out of the mkt due to trumps sanctions is the reason for most of the rises not restricted to NZ.

winner69
26-09-2018, 05:23 PM
I see the prayer at the start of Parliament yesterday was said in Chinese

blackcap
26-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Another 3.5c tax attached from 1st October. Are you going to blame Trump for that?

Add to that the Auckland Goff Labour tax which is filtering through. Yeah don't think Trump has anything to do with that.

Joshuatree
26-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Not for that little portion, but for infrastructure required that the last govt failed to deliver.

westerly
26-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Looking at the web site that lists petrol prices around NZ it would appear that some areas of the Country are being ripped off by the oil companies.
Auckland even with the regional tax added is paying less than other areas in NZ
However the market is always correct.

westerly

winner69
26-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Looking at the web site that lists petrol prices around NZ it would appear that some areas of the Country are being ripped off by the oil companies.
Auckland even with the regional tax added is paying less than other areas in NZ
However the market is always correct.

westerly

Wellington reckon we are subsidising (or even paying) the Auckland Regional Tax

Commerce Commision don’t want to know ...wonder why

Bjauck
27-09-2018, 07:47 AM
Wellington reckon we are subsidising (or even paying) the Auckland Regional Tax

Commerce Commision don’t want to know ...wonder why
it would be interesting to see what the comparative costs of supplying service stations are. I would imagine it would be cheaper to provide petrol to a high volume Auckland station than a low volume Invercargill one for example.

iceman
27-09-2018, 09:38 AM
So yesterday the headlines were of really important stuff like Jacinda smiling when she saw Neve, photo op with Hollywood actress Anne Hathaway and the "First Man" sitting at the UN (why he's in there I've no idea) with his shirt unbuttoned down to his chest like he was about to breastfeed the baby.
Today's crisis for this incompetent bunch is a leaked report that yet again shows how weak the PM has been in responding to the Whaitiri situation, after having told fibs about her comms with Derek Handley a few days ago.
What a circus. How long will this motley lot last ?? Winston must be kicking himself for having installed them just to get a few more baubles for himself and his Ministers !!!

winner69
27-09-2018, 09:44 AM
So yesterday the headlines were of really important stuff like Jacinda smiling when she saw Neve, photo op with Hollywood actress Anne Hathaway and the"First Man" sitting at the UN (why he's in there I've no idea) with his shirt unbuttoned down to his chest like he was about to breastfeed the baby.
Today's crisis for this incompetent bunch is a leaked report that yet again shows how weak the PM has been in responding to the Whaitiri situation, after having told fibs about her comms with Derek Handley.
What a circus. How long will this motley lot last ?? Winston must be kicking himself for having installed them just to get a few more baubles for himself and his Ministers !!!

Ha ha .....Didn’t notice that

Can’t upset the Māori Caucus can we .....appears as if we have actually have a 4 party Coalition .....Labour, Māori, Greens and NZ First

iceman
27-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Kelvin Davies announces a new tax, a $35 arrival tax this time. But according to Kelvin, it will make NZ a , yes wait for it, "world leader in destination management", no less.
What a brilliant idea and result.

westerly
27-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Kelvin Davies announces a new tax, a $35 arrival tax this time. But according to Kelvin, it will make NZ a , yes wait for it, "world leader in destination management", no less.
What a brilliant idea and result.

You must be a visitor if you are worried about this levy. :)

Joshuatree
27-09-2018, 11:41 AM
A visitor here for a breast feeding workshop, thats got to be a win /;)win for NZ. $35 indeed will be trivial for such a passion, go for it..

Joshuatree
27-09-2018, 04:57 PM
More real facts. Before the RBNZ no change in int rates, announcement too.
Business confidence rebounds in latest survey (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/367336/business-confidence-rebounds-in-latest-survey)

stoploss
27-09-2018, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Joshuatree;731202]More real facts. Before the RBNZ no change in int rates, announcement too.
Business confidence rebounds in latest survey (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/367336/business-confidence-rebounds-in-latest-survey)[/QUOTE

The bus confidence is unlikely to change due to that announcement the forecast for some time has been stable rates all through 2019 .
Interesting Labour & partners resorting to playing the man not the ball, even one of their own is fed up with it ......
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12132937

Joshuatree
27-09-2018, 05:23 PM
Thats your opinion i think the bounce would be even higher , we will see.

National have been absolutely shocking, just watch parliament in action, the sneers, snide remarks , faces insinuations, mud throwing etc etc. If only more public watched this behaviour they'd all be thrown out to work on rubbish collection trucks.
Brown lee is a typical example and i believe was recently accused of bullying by a lawyer.

westerly
27-09-2018, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Joshuatree;731202]More real facts. Before the RBNZ no change in int rates, announcement too.
Business confidence rebounds in latest survey (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/367336/business-confidence-rebounds-in-latest-survey)[/QUOTE

Interesting Labour & partners resorting to playing the man not the ball, even one of their own is fed up with it ......
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12132937

Supposedly the Speaker is independent. Anyway Jerry can give as much as he gets. Simon is the worry for National . He doesn't come across too well on tv

westerly

Joshuatree
27-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Note his "but" justification denial.
National's Gerry Brownlee accused of 'phone bullying' after ... - TVNZ (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=2ahUKEwi9zL6cudrdAhWDabwKHbMhBhcQFjADegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvnz.co.nz%2Fone-news%2Fnew-zealand%2Fnationals-gerry-brownlee-accused-phone-bullying-after-conversation-junior-staff-member-law-firm&usg=AOvVaw0cNSBHN8ku73leXXGkl2Ar)

iceman
27-09-2018, 06:10 PM

In 12 short words you describe exactly how you Lefties think. Taxes are all good and fair, as long as you don't have to pay them !!

For the record, I'm not against arrival tax as long as it is spent in the areas it is supposed to be raised for, particularly tourist infrastructure. But how Kelvin is going to make NZ "World leader in destination management" with this is beyond me. I have no idea what he means and I doubt very much he does either, which would be nothing new.

westerly
27-09-2018, 06:33 PM
In 12 short words you describe exactly how you Lefties think. Taxes are all good and fair, as long as you don't have to pay them !!

For the record, I'm not against arrival tax as long as it is spent in the areas it is supposed to be raised for, particularly tourist infrastructure. But how Kelvin is going to make NZ "World leader in destination management" with this is beyond me. I have no idea what he means and I doubt very much he does either, which would be nothing new.

And the trouble with you blinkered right wingers is you don't read the whole release before jumping to conclusions.

"Kelvin Davis said the intention is for funds to be split evenly between conservation and tourism and further work with stakeholders will now be done to decide the best ways to spend the levy’s revenue.
“We have a couple of options on how to do this and will work through those with our partners, but the main feature of the levy is that its revenue will be set aside for conservation work and tourism infrastructure,” Mr Davis said."
westerly

fungus pudding
27-09-2018, 06:55 PM
And the trouble with you blinkered right wingers is you don't read the whole release before jumping to conclusions.

"Kelvin Davis said the intention is for funds to be split evenly between conservation and tourism and further work with stakeholders will now be done to decide the best ways to spend the levy’s revenue.
“We have a couple of options on how to do this and will work through those with our partners, but the main feature of the levy is that its revenue will be set aside for conservation work and tourism infrastructure,” Mr Davis said."
westerly
Golly gosh. That ought'a make us the world leader in destination management.

Joshuatree
27-09-2018, 07:38 PM

Seeing what you dont want to see.

I find it int and revealing the labelling , lefties, the dividing , the separation , the them and us , the foe . enemy etc. I never look it that way, but just at what i think is good and fair and right for all not the few .But like trump some want to be divisive, a destructive mindset for NZ imo.

iceman
27-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Seeing what you dont want to see.

I find it int and revealing the labelling , lefties, the dividing , the separation , the them and us , the foe . enemy etc. I never look it that way, but just at what i think is good and fair and right for all not the few .But like trump some want to be divisive, a destructive mindset for NZ imo.

With you being the sole judge of what is fair and right for all and no other views considered. A classic !!

iceman
27-09-2018, 08:11 PM

westerly

Like you I read the statement, which makes it clear that they´ve announced the tax before they consider what to do with the revenue. How can they set it at $ 35 when they have no idea how much they need and what it will be used for ?

p.s. I consider myself slightly left of center in the political spectrum,. After all I voted for John Key each time I could

27-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Well they will have form another working group and that costs money which they must be getting short of.

Joshuatree
27-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Like you I read the statement, which makes it clear that they´ve announced the tax before they consider what to do with the revenue. How can they set it at $ 35 when they have no idea how much they need and what it will be used for ?

p.s. I consider myself slightly left of center in the political spectrum,. After all I voted for John Key each time I could

Divide and conquer. You are living in a distant past. Adapt or be irrelevant.

BlackPeter
28-09-2018, 02:34 AM

Short thinking. Vivitors don't care if they pick some other nice spot in teh world where they are more welcome. Our so called hospitality (or was it hostility?) industry might care if the visitors stop.

And yes, its not just the levvy. It is hostility in the media when a tourist makeing a driving mistake is beaten up without end while nobody cares if drunken Kiwi teens are killing themselves and others on our roads. It is the animosity against foreign house buyers. Of course do people feel less welcome (including the people who are lawfully here, but might just have a different accent or a non-kaukasian look). People feel less welcome. It is the hostility against immigrants - and against their families - they are not even allowed anymore to bring e.g. their old parents to NZ. All less reasons to visit NZ, and the current populist and racist government is doing nothing to improve but much to deteriorate the situation.