PDA

View Full Version : Labour / NZ First Government

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Joshuatree
28-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Great speech and diplomacy from our leader.

Watch: PM tackles Trump, climate change in UN speech (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12133233)

macduffy
28-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Watch: PM tackles Trump, climate change in UN speech (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12133233)

Yes, full marks! It won't cut any ice with You Know Who - but it's important to stand up and say it!

Joshuatree
28-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Absolutely!. And great promotion for NZ (Air NZ direct flights from Chicago), Hobbiton etc and general feel warmth and good humour all round .

Watch: Ardern cracks jokes on The Late Show (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/367403/watch-jacinda-ardern-cracks-jokes-on-the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert)

westerly
28-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Short thinking. Vivitors don't care if they pick some other nice spot in teh world where they are more welcome. Our so called hospitality (or was it hostility?) industry might care if the visitors stop.

And yes, its not just the levvy. It is hostility in the media when a tourist makeing a driving mistake is beaten up without end while nobody cares if drunken Kiwi teens are killing themselves and others on our roads. It is the animosity against foreign house buyers. Of course do people feel less welcome (including the people who are lawfully here, but might just have a different accent or a non-kaukasian look). People feel less welcome. It is the hostility against immigrants - and against their families - they are not even allowed anymore to bring e.g. their old parents to NZ. All less reasons to visit NZ, and the current populist and racist government is doing nothing to improve but much to deteriorate the situation.

An early morning rant worthy of Donald. If a $35 dollar levy on tourists causes you so much angst I suggest you lighten up for you healths sake.
Tourism has many benefits but there are costs and infrastructure is not keeping up with growth of tourism. If a levy sends a few tourists to another country tough.
Why should NZ offer residence to parents of immigrants who have spent their productive working life in another country. ? The health system has enough problems without more elderly people wishing to retire to quiet, peacefull NZ Just as we could probably do with out wealthy foreigners buying "bolt holes" just in case.
Some tourist drivers do cause mayhem on the roads and sometimes a "driving mistake" has serious consequences. Of course drunken teen age drivers do not cause concern ? Just as immigrants and other visitors are all treated with hostillity, and the coalition Govt. is racist and your favourite word populist?
All governments are populist in that they cater to their supporters which may or may not be of benefit to all.

westerly

blackcap
28-09-2018, 07:31 PM
An early morning rant worthy of Donald. If a $35 dollar levy on tourists causes you so much angst I suggest you lighten up for you healths sake.
Tourism has many benefits but there are costs and infrastructure is not keeping up with growth of tourism. If a levy sends a few tourists to another country tough.
Why should NZ offer residence to parents of immigrants who have spent their productive working life in another country. ? The health system has enough problems without more elderly people wishing to retire to quiet, peacefull NZ Just as we could probably do with out wealthy foreigners buying "bolt holes" just in case.
Some tourist drivers do cause mayhem on the roads and sometimes a "driving mistake" has serious consequences. Of course drunken teen age drivers do not cause concern ? Just as immigrants and other visitors are all treated with hostillity, and the coalition Govt. is racist and your favourite word populist?
All governments are populist in that they cater to their supporters which may or may not be of benefit to all.

westerly

I can hardly believe it but AMEN to nearly all of the above. Well said westerly. $35 is indeed F all of F all for tourists and its not going to bugger up the industry. It may even keep some of the undesirable skank packers out as they are most $ conscious. And I concur with the health system and too many immigrants getting easy access after not long enough in the country. Its ridiculous that we cater to so many immigrant's parents who have just turned up here on a family connection and then give them full public health service, usually in the time when they use it most and it costs most after not having provided for anything here.

Raz
29-09-2018, 09:23 AM
I can hardly believe it but AMEN to nearly all of the above. Well said westerly. $35 is indeed F all of F all for tourists and its not going to bugger up the industry. It may even keep some of the undesirable skank packers out as they are most $ conscious. And I concur with the health system and too many immigrants getting easy access after not long enough in the country. Its ridiculous that we cater to so many immigrant's parents who have just turned up here on a family connection and then give them full public health service, usually in the time when they use it most and it costs most after not having provided for anything here.

I agree , it ignores the social contract of being a contributor to society.

RGR367
29-09-2018, 10:37 AM

Yeah, it was a good one and you can even call it, inspiring. It's just a pity that only NZ'ers watching the late news heard it and some token delegates on the floor that you can count with your fingers.

Bjauck
30-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Short thinking. Vivitors don't care if they pick some other nice spot in teh world where they are more welcome.
I agree - there are plenty of other ways to recoup infrastructure and National Park maintenance costs - other than a slap on tourists.

Our so called hospitality (or was it hostility?) industry might care if the visitors stop. Who's being hostile?

And yes, its not just the levvy. It is hostility in the media when a tourist makeing a driving mistake is beaten up without end while nobody cares if drunken Kiwi teens are killing themselves and others on our roads. Of course lots of people care.

A visitor to your home causing damage is always more memorable than if it is done by a member of your own family.

We shouldn't expect anyone who has just completed a long haul flight to drive as well as normal, let alone when they are not used to NZ driving conditions, rules or roads. This certainly need to be looked into.

It is the animosity against foreign house buyers. Of course do people feel less welcome (including the people who are lawfully here, but might just have a different accent or a non-kaukasian look). People feel less welcome. It is the hostility against immigrants - and against their families - they are not even allowed anymore to bring e.g. their old parents to NZ. All less reasons to visit NZ, and the current populist and racist government is doing nothing to improve but much to deteriorate the situation.

Immigration is a bit of a diferent topic. Previous governments should have had policies that ensured the supply of affordable housing (and infrastructure) in areas where immigrants wanted to settle. Otherwise populists could find fertile ground from possible local resentment. Immigration policy needs to dovetail with housing and economic policies. What level of immigration can be harmoniously supported by our society?

winner69
02-10-2018, 11:58 AM
This apparently one of the more robust business confidence surveys ...big end of town and not those testy SMEs

NZ FIRMS MOST PESSIMISTIC IN NINE YEARS, BLAME GOVT POLICY, LABOUR COSTS

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/1485b884/nz-firms-most-pessimistic-in-nine-years-blame-govt-policy-labour-costs.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NZ%20firms%20most%20pessimistic%20in% 20nine%20years%20blame%20govt%20policy%20labour%20 costs&utm_content=NZ%20firms%20most%20pessimistic%20in%2 0nine%20years%20blame%20govt%20policy%20labour%20c osts+CID_eef6845532d5d040159d00060d89b94f&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=httpwwwsharechatconzarticle1485b884nz-firms-most-pessimistic-in-nine-years-blame-govt-policy-labour-costshtml

minimoke
02-10-2018, 01:39 PM
This apparently one of the more robust business confidence surveys ...big end of town and not those testy SMEs

NZ FIRMS MOST PESSIMISTIC IN NINE YEARS, BLAME GOVT POLICY, LABOUR COSTS

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/1485b884/nz-firms-most-pessimistic-in-nine-years-blame-govt-policy-labour-costs.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NZ%20firms%20most%20pessimistic%20in% 20nine%20years%20blame%20govt%20policy%20labour%20 costs&utm_content=NZ%20firms%20most%20pessimistic%20in%2 0nine%20years%20blame%20govt%20policy%20labour%20c osts+CID_eef6845532d5d040159d00060d89b94f&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=httpwwwsharechatconzarticle1485b884nz-firms-most-pessimistic-in-nine-years-blame-govt-policy-labour-costshtml
Some of that will be due to the increases in Minimum Wage / Living wage which simply shifts the Working For Families burden onto the Employer.

Then tighten up hiring options by removing 90 day trial period provisions and tightening of work visas, with no policy on getting the unemployed off the couch.

Add to that fuel costs at record high levels - that will only increase costs across the board - including commuting costs which will put even further pressure on wages.

Hopefully Jacinda has the ear of her comrades in China - they may be needed to help shift production from NZ to China.

iceman
02-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Here is another link and discussion about the NZIER survey. https://www.interest.co.nz/business/96128/latest-nzier-quarterly-survey-business-opinion-shows-worst-level-business-confidence
This must be quite worrying for the trio that form this Coalition and obviously the "manufacturing crisis" enquiry they held a few years ago didn´t teach them much about that indistry and probably was just a media beatup like so many other things that comes from them !
Particularly this bit :
" Manufacturers now most pessimistic

Although the downbeat mood was broad-based across sectors, manufacturers have overtaken retailers as the most pessimistic sector. Weaker demand and rising costs have seen manufacturing sector confidence fall sharply.

Rising cost pressures also weighed on building sector confidence, with over half of firms in the sector reporting higher costs. Building sector firms reported some softening in demand in the September quarter, but architects’ measure of work in their office points to a pick-up in the pipeline of residential and commercial construction over the coming year."

Joshuatree
04-10-2018, 08:14 PM
People are waay overdue for wage rises, and its now finally starting to happen across the job sector.

And heres a multi pronged approach to increase worker shortage.

Govt ups ante on construction worker shortage (https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/property/107592034/govt-announces-construction-skills-action-plan-to-target-shortages-in-construction)

Joshuatree
04-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Great to see rare collaboration here, may there be more.
National backs child poverty bill (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/107612392/national-will-support-child-poverty-bill)

stoploss
04-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Great to see rare collaboration here, may there be more.
National backs child poverty bill (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/107612392/national-will-support-child-poverty-bill)
They need all the help they can get:)

Joshuatree
04-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Research and Development down to $50,000 min for tax breaks.

Gordon Campbell: On Bringing Business Into The 21st Century (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1810/S00026/gordon-campbell-on-bringing-business-into-the-21st-century.htm)

"In itself, this move is probably not going to be enough to bring our business culture into the 21st century. It's going to be a long haul. For decades, NZ firms have allowed themselves to become dependent on the synthetic drug of low wage costs – in the knowledge that the income of the working poor will be supplemented by the welfare system, via the likes of Working For Families. The rest of the developed world meanwhile, has moved on."

iceman
05-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Well done from the Government to come up with a high powered "construction sector action plan" to target skills and labour shortages in the industry. It is much needed in a sector that has completely failed to manage itself well as can be seen by Fletcher Building and Ebert Construction failures, along with many others.
Also good to see several fairly junior ministers involved as I'm sure they will want to make a difference. A good start and a good idea. Now some results please.

winner69
05-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Bridges is a real idiot .....and I’m trying to be nice about it

That was a few months ago

Seems to be he’s improving his real idiot status quite well

westerly
05-10-2018, 09:41 AM
That was a few months ago

Seems to be he’s improving his real idiot status quite well

You cannot blame that on the Labour/NZ First Govt. Try National FFs. :) His report on the leak comes out soon Could be interesting.

westerly

winner69
05-10-2018, 10:51 AM
You cannot blame that on the Labour/NZ First Govt. Try National FFs. :) His report on the leak comes out soon Could be interesting.

westerly

Sorry, thought this was just the main politics thread. Never mind

This interesting article about PRC influence in this part of the world

Our current government (and previous ones) seem very influenced and supportive

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/02/627249909/australia-and-new-zealand-are-ground-zero-for-chinese-influence

Joshuatree
05-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Great article and a concern i often think about. Many Chinese immigrant residents here are very patriotic to China ahead of NZ. They have been indoctrinated continuously since birth to always support the Chinese govt for the GREATER good and dont even think about it(esp their leaders growing power over all), its programmed. And with many years of growth and boom times for China who would argue with that.Except they live here now.
They use WeChat here (and there)for connecting with each other gathering info and doing payments separately to anything the rest of us use. Cash is used for many purchases and payments. They cant use facebook, google etc in China,its blocked is my understanding.

They can download many programmes/ movie/music/DVD to watch for free that most of us have to pay/subscribe for.
I have heard the Chinese govt pays for flights or accomodation back home where they share stuff about nz, i know not what, maybe build networks, connections ,alliances , cultivating bank managers etc? These can be"cultural" trips back home to update traditional dance etc, teach english whilst back there etc. I have no problems with diversifying NZ,s multicultural population ,its a recent new norm and healthy, sometimes i just am a little concerned about how much is contributed to our country and how much may be stealthily taken away. Just my opinion and observations.

minimoke
05-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Well, when subjected to the harsh light of an independent investigation it appears Meka Whaitiri did indeed bully and assault a staff member. Given her version of events was not the preferred version we can also take it that she is also a liar; a person who holds alternative views of the truth or a person frugal and imaginative in sharing details.

Either way not the sort of person fit for Government and certainly not the sort of person the Maori Caucus ought to be standing beside - the need to be shifting her along a path to getting help she needs.

Not a good look for a "kind and caring " government who has once again be proven not to be kind nor caring.

"After giving careful consideration to this matter, it is my view that the explanation provided to me by Employee A is a more probable explanation as to what happened than the explanation provided to me by the Minister. That is, rather than the encounter between the two of them in the foyer being a face to face encounter as described to me by the Minister, the Minister in fact approached Employee A from slightly behind and grabbed Employee A by the arm,"

Joshuatree
05-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Heres the link to make a little sense of your judging.

Whaitiri report finally released (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/107632218/probable-that-meka-whaitiri-grabbed-staffer-investigation-finds)

Leadership shown from our PM
i hope Whaitiri learns from this and finds a pathway back into the PM's confidence, a 2nd and last chance. It must have been infuriating to miss out on the photo op with the PM and i would be angry too. Being physical or bullying is not the way though even if it is on the lower level end scale. A lesson and reminder to us all about the big difference to being aggressive and assertive, a skill which with a little training can be easily learnt and old patterns erased..

minimoke
05-10-2018, 03:26 PM
It must have been infuriating to miss out on the photo op with the PM and i would be angry too. Yup, hard to control those egos. Just gotta be in the pho circle at all costs.

Leadership shown from our PM. Bet its not the first time Meka has reacted in such a way. Poor leadership promoting a person to Cabinet based and race and gender rather than competence. The PM was simply damping out a fire she threw fuel onto.

fungus pudding
05-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Heres the link to make a little sense of your judging.

Whaitiri report finally released (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/107632218/probable-that-meka-whaitiri-grabbed-staffer-investigation-finds)

Leadership shown from our PM
i hope Whaitiri learns from this and finds a pathway back into the PM's confidence,..

? Why?? .

Joshuatree
05-10-2018, 03:34 PM
You can bet all you want; the TAB prob will take your dough and place some odds.

Heres the redacted version.
Official report into Meka Whaitiri incident released (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/368002/official-report-into-meka-whaitiri-incident-released)

minimoke
05-10-2018, 04:22 PM
You can bet all you want; the TAB prob will take your dough and place some odds.
With the alleged prior staff turnover in her office I doubt TAB would.

I'm now awaiting a statement from Minister of Employment, Willie Jackson on the acceptability or otherwise of workplace bullying and asault now the report has been finalised. I woudl liek to heere about his progres towards an aim when he says "I want to be a Minister that is part of a Government that brings dignity back to work"

Maybe now he can answer qurstions put to him by Lisa Owen
Well, we’re talking about Meka Whaitiri here. So if Meka Whaitiri – if the allegations against her are proven, should she go from Parliament all together?
I’m not prepared to talk about that.
You won’t tell us what your standards are?
Well, our standards–
No, you personally. Do you think, if the allegations against her are proven, that she should go from Parliament all together?
No, I don’t think it’s right to speculate about Meka at this time. She needs to be given some respect that there’s an investigation in place, so it’s inappropriate for me to comment.
All right. Let me put it another way – as Minister of Employment, in your view, is there ever any excuse for bullying or physical violence in the workplace?
Well, of course not. Of course not, and I have a high standard there, as does Meka Whaitiri. But you shouldn’t try and insinuate that she’s guilty already.
I’m not; I’m just asking you the basic question.
Yes, but the way you’re asking it, Lisa, is that she’s gone. You know, just because the allegation has been made doesn’t mean it’s true. There’s still a process to go through.

Joshuatree
05-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Why; she has been given a chance to learn to be assertive not aggressive, if she doesn't grow and learn and repeats she will be gone for good. This is a great example of a trickle down behaviour correction; she can lead and change her behaviour by example and many others will follow, right down to ordinary folks in her whanau, city, electorate, country. This may be her lightbulb moment , change behavioural autocratic patterns to empowering, assertive, inclusive behaviours and lead by example, top down.

Joshuatree
05-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Interesting names and donations
National Party received three times more money in donations than Labour in 2017 (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/103655890/the-national-party-was-donated-three-times-more-money-than-labour-last-year--but-labour-won?rm=m)

Joshuatree
05-10-2018, 08:15 PM
From Spin Off. A light hearted end to the week.Check out Judith Collins expression when Anika Moa converts her to lesbian status.

Good Week, Bad Week: October 5 (https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/05-10-2018/good-week-bad-week-october-5/)

iceman
05-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Why; she has been given a chance to learn to be assertive not aggressive, if she doesn't grow and learn and repeats she will be gone for good. This is a great example of a trickle down behaviour correction; she can lead and change her behaviour by example and many others will follow, right down to ordinary folks in her whanau, city, electorate, country. This may be her lightbulb moment , change behavioural autocratic patterns to empowering, assertive, inclusive behaviours and lead by example, top down.

Don´t hold your breath Mini. Willie has always advocated different/lower standards and different and more lenient treatment of Maori than other races. Pathetic.

Joshuatree
06-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Watch out your pedestal is frozen, you're stuck up there in superior isolation.lol.

Joshuatree
06-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Hey........Look over there................

What say you fool, learn to laugh a little, judge less.

Joshuatree
06-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Before you Start your negativity ask yourself, have i ever stuffed up, lost my rag, made an error that i have been given a 2nd chance on to redeem myself? No ? Then you must be one of the Gods or an extreme narcissist.
Statement from Meka Whaitiri (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1810/S00051/statement-from-meka-whaitiri.htm)

minimoke
06-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Why; she has been given a chance to learn to be assertive not aggressive, if she doesn't grow and learn and repeats she will be gone for good. This is a great example of a trickle down behaviour correction; she can lead and change her behaviour by example and many others will follow, right down to ordinary folks in her whanau, city, electorate, country. This may be her lightbulb moment , change behavioural autocratic patterns to empowering, assertive, inclusive behaviours and lead by example, top down.Get real. This is a 53 year old person, likely promoted to highest level of incompetence. All those rough edges should have been well and truly worn off by now. All those life learnings she should be able to draw on.

At this point in her life her basic personality traits (both strengths and weaknesses) are deeply embeded and cannot be changed.

We arent talking about some iffy teenage behaviour here - we are talking about a member of Cabinet. We should expect the highest standards from day one. Cabinet is not a kindy for moulding people - at best thats what the back benches are for.

minimoke
06-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Before you Start your negativity ask yourself, have i ever stuffed up, lost my rag, made an error that i have been given a 2nd chance on to redeem myself? No ? Then you must be one of the Gods or an extreme narcissist.
Statement from Meka Whaitiri (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1810/S00051/statement-from-meka-whaitiri.htm)Shes missing teh 4 (?) "a";s
Firstly no Acknowledgement that she handled a staff member and abused her.
No Acceptance that this was wrong.
No apology to the staff member
and No Atonement

She would have been better to stay silent.

(And yes I am always stuffing up. But following the four A's is helpful in personal growth.)

Joshuatree
06-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Cant apologise yet if contesting some of the allegations. But yes i hope some sort of agreement and admission and clarity to the part she did play which is losing control of herself with anger( not acceptable even if an employee stuffs up) which causes overreactions rather then informed responses. Eating a little humble pie can bring personal growth."Commited to my own development " and improving herself etc is some atonement and acknowledgement.

“I have accepted the Prime Minister’s decision and I intend to work hard to regain her confidence.
“As noted I contested some of the allegations.
“However I am disappointed my behaviour led to a complaint. I am committed to my own development, including better managing employment relationships.
“I am focusing on working hard for the people of Ikaroa-Rāwhiti, as a member of Labour and Māori Caucus and contributing as a Member of Parliament."

minimoke
06-10-2018, 01:05 PM
“However I am disappointed my behaviour led to a complaint. "Bull****ter alert blaring full noise.
Shes not disappointed in her behaviour - which she should be.

She is disappointed it led to a complaint. Which is essentially pushing it back to it being the victims problem. (so in her mind if there was no complaint her behaviour was quite acceptable)

What a nasty piece of work. She and Jackson are in good company.

All the rest is the usual crap s about wanting to get her snout back into the trough.

Joshuatree
06-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Thats your interpretation.She has committed to better managing employment relationships, good enough for me.

macduffy
06-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Thats your interpretation.She has committed to better managing employment relationships, good enough for me.

Will she have any employment relationships to better manage?

Well, of course, this is just a short stint in the naughty room.

minimoke
06-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Thats your interpretation.She has committed to better managing employment relationships, good enough for me.You have a very low expectation threshold.

At this stage in her life she should be well skilled in managing employment relationships. In fact, its simple natural courtesy you dont go shouting at people when you dont get your own way.

Joshuatree
06-10-2018, 07:09 PM
She knows she won't have a 2nd chance, she is open to retraining, you are being tyrannical in your thinking, why?

iceman
08-10-2018, 10:37 PM
David Parker announces a plan to tackle freshwater quality. I support any good plan that will achieve better water quality.
But appointing 3 different working groups and indicating RMA changes may be intorudyced in 12 months time or so, doesn´t seem like they actually have a plan they want to implement with urgency.
Worryingly one of the groups is going to be chaired by controversial scientist Mike Joy, but another one by John Penno (of Synlait fame) which I think is a good choice. Here´s hoping for some quick results.

winner69
09-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Interesting only about 50% of SMEs are cash flow positive

https://www.xero.com/nz/resources/small-business-insights/s/metric/cash-flow/

The number of business that are cash flow positive is now 45%
https://www.xero.com/nz/resources/small-business-insights/s/metric/cash-flow/

Joshuatree
09-10-2018, 09:25 AM
David Parker announces a plan to tackle freshwater quality. I support any good plan that will achieve better water quality.
But appointing 3 different working groups and indicating RMA changes may be intorudyced in 12 months time or so, doesn´t seem like they actually have a plan they want to implement with urgency.
Worryingly one of the groups is going to be chaired by controversial scientist Mike Joy, but another one by John Penno (of Synlait fame) which I think is a good choice. Here´s hoping for some quick results.

Has to happen. Dairy farmers reducing intensification stocking rates with max nitrate level guidelines etc the obvious first easy win. Ambitious but it needs to be to get things rolling.

Joshuatree
09-10-2018, 09:34 AM
A great read from the spinoff

What is Jacinda Ardern's big idea? (https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/08-10-2018/what-is-jacinda-arderns-big-idea/)

content deleted by STMOD:

read this: https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/announcement.php?f=31

winner69
10-10-2018, 06:39 AM
Truckometer looking good too

Truckometer (https://www.anz.co.nz/about-us/economic-markets-research/truckometer/)

Joshua - Truckometer not looking so good too

https://www.anz.co.nz/resources/3/d/3d89f073-2191-43ff-bf31-9a86f4b5b724/ANZ-Truckometer-20181009.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Joshuatree
10-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the latest, a dip in the road.Heavy traffic vol dipped light traffic less so. Fuel pricing may affect the next asa well.

"On face value, the Index suggests that another quarter of GDP growth approaching 1% q/q is perhaps unlikely."

westerly
10-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Joshua - Truckometer not looking so good too

https://www.anz.co.nz/resources/3/d/3d89f073-2191-43ff-bf31-9a86f4b5b724/ANZ-Truckometer-20181009.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Often wondered what those people you sometimes see, sitting at the roadside with a clip board were doing? Counting trucks. It has to be a con. :)

westerly

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Good things being addressed here

Govt tackles sports gender inequality article.cfm (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140715)

Paralympians parity package gets over the line Paralympians' parity package gets over line (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/368310/paralympians-parity-package-gets-over-line)

(https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140715)

blackcap
11-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Good things being addressed here

Govt tackles sports gender inequality article.cfm (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140715)

Paralympians parity package gets over the line Paralympians' parity package gets over line (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/368310/paralympians-parity-package-gets-over-line)

(https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140715)

The paralympians and funding parity is surely taking the piss. That is the most ridiculous thing I have seen or read in a long time. No way paralympians have the same status as able bodied. For starters there is just not the pool of athletes to compete against. For instance in the swimming they have so many different categories of disability, you pretty much can be disabled, rock up and get a medal. Oh well, Labour onto another loser here.

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Do you happen to be able-bodied and dont give stuff about them as well as many other things?

blackcap
11-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Do you happen to be able-bodied and dont give stuff about them as well as many other things?

I am able bodied and I do give a stuff. But parity for silly things like sports is just beyond the pale. The pool they compete against is just miniscule, therefore the effort required to achieve is minuscule versus able bodied athletes. Its like comparing apples with panda's. It's not even close. It's more PC BS.

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 12:23 PM
I hope that you too stay away from accidents for the rest of your life.

tga_trader
11-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Yes, finally Labour announces something I can get behind 100%. I didn't read the article but I'm assuming it about scraping gender divisions in all sports and making men and women compete against each other, to give women the hard fought for equality they're after.

blackcap
11-10-2018, 01:46 PM
I hope that you too stay away from accidents for the rest of your life.

Thanks, so do I. If I was injured and a paraplegic, I would not expect equal funding to able bodied athletes for being top of my sport. That would just be ridiculous. As said before, the pool I am competing against is minuscule, so me being an average club level able bodied athlete, all of a sudden would be a top international athlete. Not because of effort, but just because I happen to be a para-athlete.

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 01:51 PM
I welcome a probe on this supermarket duopoly. Compare the competition with the petrol companies, minimal. Look at the increasing house brands eliminating fair competition. Brands paying more for better/any shelf space. Growers put against each other and supplier prices screwed down, with threats of cancellation of contracts etc. Ive noticed the quality and freshness of produce dropping. Ive noticed the " packed on " dates have disappeared on some lines of produce. One cant tell with out opening the bag if its still fresh enough. "Use by dates" not sure atp.

"Jones has been using the protection of parliamentary privilege to accuse Countdown of blackmail and extortion against its New Zealand suppliers, and yesterday gave more details of what he claims to have been told."
Countdown "categorically" denied these accusations. (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/9741760/Jones-attacked-after-more-Countdown-claims)

minimoke
11-10-2018, 02:15 PM
I am able bodied and I do give a stuff. But parity for silly things like sports is just beyond the pale. The pool they compete against is just miniscule, therefore the effort required to achieve is minuscule versus able bodied athletes. Its like comparing apples with panda's. It's not even close. It's more PC BS.I'm very disappointed that there is no effort to address the rampant ageism in sport. For example I "compete" against 18 - 30 year olds and there is no way on earth I can beat them on mat time. Labour must bring in compulsory age based handicapping. I'm in an event this weekend and by my reckoning I should get a 1 1/2 hour head start to achieve age based parity at the start. I wonder if I should just identify myself as a woman for the purposes of that event?

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 08:12 PM
This cant come quick enough , especially the loan sharks
Mobile traders who ignore 'do-not-knock' house stickers risk big fines (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140328)

minimoke
11-10-2018, 08:32 PM
This cant come quick enough , especially the loan sharks
Mobile traders who ignore 'do-not-knock' house stickers risk big fines (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140328)
It really isn't that hard to not open the door.

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 09:36 PM
More detail on the loansharks controls here.

Government cracks down on predatory lenders with fines up to $600k The new law takes particular aim at loan sharks and truck shops. (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-finance/news/article.cfm?c_id=12&objectid=12140014)

"The introduction of an interest and fees cap on high-cost loans will prevent people from accumulating large debt from a single small loan. For example, if you borrow $500 you will never have to pay back more than $1,000 in total, including all fees and interest.

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Not for much longer
Up to 800% interest year
Mary Holm: Loan sharks circling for desperate people Comment: Payday lenders charge huge interest and fees that mount up. (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-finance/news/article.cfm?c_id=12&objectid=12116993)

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Get ye fins gone

Loan sharks leave three homeless Auckland mums in almost $150,000 of debt, marae says Predatory lenders have left three homeless Auckland mums in almost $150,000 of debt. (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12078192)

Joshuatree
11-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Absolutely we do

"The budget is well on course to carry the country through the next shock, whatever form it takes and whenever it may be, and the Government needs to keep it that way."

Crown debt is now below 20% first time since the GFC.

From The Herald
article.cfm (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140246)

peat
12-10-2018, 01:21 AM

Government cracks down on predatory lenders with fines up to $600k The new law takes particular aim at loan sharks and truck shops. (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-finance/news/article.cfm?c_id=12&objectid=12140014)

"The introduction of an interest and fees cap on high-cost loans will prevent people from accumulating large debt from a single small loan. For example, if you borrow $500 you will never have to pay back more than $1,000 in total, including all fees and interest.

Will this apply to Westpac and ANZ as well ?

fungus pudding
12-10-2018, 02:51 AM
Absolutely we do

"The budget is well on course to carry the country through the next shock, whatever form it takes and whenever it may be, and the Government needs to keep it that way."

Crown debt is now below 20% first time since the GFC.

From The Herald
article.cfm (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140246)

Well done Bill and Stephen. Those tax cuts were certainly in order.

blackcap
12-10-2018, 07:05 AM

Wow that is exciting news. So I borrow $200k for my mortgage and will never have to pay back more than $400k in total. Great stuff NZ First, Labour and Greens. Great savings to be made purchasing houses especially when interest rates get back to the 7-8% levels.

minimoke
12-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Get ye fins gone

Loan sharks leave three homeless Auckland mums in almost $150,000 of debt, marae says Predatory lenders have left three homeless Auckland mums in almost $150,000 of debt. (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12078192)You do know you cant fix stupid? No matter what laws are in place. Did you see this bit "He told of three mums seeking the marae's help, who were all aged in their 30s, had 14 children between them and 30 debts totalling about $144,000" We don't need anti-loan shark legislation. we need compulsory contraception.

I know it has tow words and one of them has three syllables but we really need to teach and hammer home the power of and risk with "Compounding Interest" Financial literacy might be a whole lot more use as an extra subject in the curriculum rather than te reo.

blackcap
12-10-2018, 09:07 AM

[/COLOR][/FONT]I know it has tow words and one of them has three syllables but we really need to teach and hammer home the power of and risk with "Compounding Interest" Financial literacy might be a whole lot more use as an extra subject in the curriculum rather than te reo.

I am totally on board there. I have a friend who has a degree and so does his wife from University. They are as financially illiterate as can be. He earns over 100k per annum but they are living in poverty with debts coming out of their ar se holes. I have tried to educate them and have helped consolidate their loans and it is helping but sometimes you cannot help people from themselves. They then go and borrow money for overseas travel. They had a loan from a bank which they called a low interest loan. The rate .... 15.9%. Really some people are just thick. But if they had had some financial literacy taught in schools it may have helped them. They are intelligent enough in the normal sense to be able to understand things. Just not sure if they are emotionally strong enough to say no to baubles and trinkets.

Joshuatree
12-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Kiwi booze will have to carry pregnancy warning labels (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140984)

Another commonsense action.

minimoke
12-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Kiwi booze will have to carry pregnancy warning labels (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12140984)

Another commonsense action.
More of you cant fix stupid. Women with a half functioning brain know not to drink when pregnant. The others wont be able to read the label. When you are in your 30's and you've got 5 kids to your name already and no idea about debt do you seriously think an alcohol warning label is going to make a difference?

All it means is that sensible people have to be reminded of the stupidity of others every time they pick up a bottle.

Edit: Im waiting for a label that goes on soft drink that say "You are a very bad parent if you feed this sh1t to your kids"

Joshuatree
12-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bjauck
12-10-2018, 03:47 PM
More of you cant fix stupid. Women with a half functioning brain know not to drink when pregnant. The others wont be able to read the label. When you are in your 30's and you've got 5 kids to your name already and no idea about debt do you seriously think an alcohol warning label is going to make a difference?

All it means is that sensible people have to be reminded of the stupidity of others every time they pick up a bottle.

Edit: Im waiting for a label that goes on soft drink that say "You are a very bad parent if you feed this sh1t to your kids" There is slick marketing that needs to countered and we need to cater for the least sophisticated and most vulnerable in society. That has been the case since the paleolithic times (yes - remains have been found of severely disabled cavepersons who must have been nurtured by the more able-bodied in their group!)

winner69
12-10-2018, 03:54 PM
@PhilTwyford
Today I announced the Govt is partnering with Orange Sky a great Australian project that will run a mobile laundry and shower service for people who are homeless in Auckland.
https://www.radiolive.co.nz/home/on-demand/long-lunch/2018/10/mobile-showers-and-laundry-for-homeless-an-act-of-kindness.html

Another commonsense action

minimoke
12-10-2018, 04:25 PM
There is slick marketing that needs to countered and we need to cater for the least sophisticated and most vulnerable in society. That has been the case since the paleolithic times (yes - remains have been found of severely disabled cavepersons who must have been nurtured by the more able-bodied in their group!)Maybe we should just have a "stupid" test and if you don't pass you don't get to buy alcohol. Double benefit. More money in Stupids Pocket, less Alcohol in Stupids foetus.

minimoke
12-10-2018, 04:29 PM
@PhilTwyford
Today I announced the Govt is partnering with Orange Sky a great Australian project that will run a mobile laundry and shower service for people who are homeless in Auckland.
https://www.radiolive.co.nz/home/on-demand/long-lunch/2018/10/mobile-showers-and-laundry-for-homeless-an-act-of-kindness.html

Another commonsense actionExcellent news for all 336 of them. (I wonder how much that will cost).

Helping 0.02% of Auckland's population stay clean and tidy. Isnt it great we have such a Caring and Kind government.

Bjauck
12-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Maybe we should just have a "stupid" test and if you don't pass you don't get to buy alcohol. Double benefit. More money in Stupids Pocket, less Alcohol in Stupids foetus. Starve the lower socio-economic schools of resources, fail to provide good affordable housing and affordable nutritious food and you will find plenty of folk to call as you say "stupid." Your "stupid" test ends up being a social test.

blackcap
12-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Starve the lower socio-economic schools of resources.

I thought the decile system in NZ meant the lower socio-economic schools got more funding per student? Stupid me, must be uninformed.

minimoke
12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
affordable nutritious food .You cant find anything more nutritious and affordable than seasonal food.

Joshuatree
18-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Graet picks for the business advisory council
Heavy hitters on PM's council (https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/107940528/jacinda-ardern-names-prime-ministers-business-advisory-council-members)

BlackPeter
18-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Heavy hitters on PM's council (https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/107940528/jacinda-ardern-names-prime-ministers-business-advisory-council-members)

I am sure Fonterra chief executive Miles Hurrell can give Cindy a handful of tips how to accrue higher losses - and NZ Steel and Bluescope executive Gretta Stephens for sure will know what is best for her Australian mother company. Great selection!

Ah yes - and given that SME's are the heartblood of our economy - there is clearly no need to properly represent them, isn't it?

Best our gummit can do?

blackcap
18-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Ah yes - and given that SME's are the heartblood of our economy - there is clearly no need to properly represent them, isn't it?

Best our gummit can do?

That's the bit that has me concerned. Looks like they are catering to large corporates and bugger the biggest substantial part of the economy. All names but no substance.

Joshuatree
18-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Talk about a half empty glass missing mouth and splashing on feet:)I will show you what you are blind to

Christopher Luxton AIR
Peter Beck Rocket Lab
Jaqui coombes Bunnings
Barbara chapman professional director
Anna Cuzon Xero
Andrew Grant Mckinsey & co
Bailey Mckay Pango
David McClean Westpac
Joc O'donnell HW Richardson
Rachel Taulelei Kono
Fraser Whineray Mercury

"To do that we need to work closely with business leaders, share ideas and consider solutions to overcoming barriers together."
A mix of six women and seven men with small to large business experience, from across New Zealand, were selected to provide advice,
The Government also recently established a 13-member Small Business Council which reports to Minister of Small Business Stuart Nash."

The govt has been listening, thats good.

minimoke
18-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Another bullsh1t advisory group.
Adern and co have no interest at all in advice from business. Take for example the proposed industrial relations changes. Virtually every business (large and small) said keep the 90 day trial provisions and giving Unions great right to property access (greater even than Police) was wrong. The draft bill went through Select COmmittee and virtually no change whatsoever - none!.

And then you have Labours wage inflation without a tie to productivity. Living Wage and Increased minimum wages will do nothing but shift the burden of Working For Families from taxpayer to business - the SME's eventually giving up because they cant turn a profit.

And what about those in poverdy - wouldn't you let them try to shop in the cheapest market? Oh no says Labour. We are going to tax your overseas purchases.

fungus pudding
18-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Talk about a half empty glass missing mouth and splashing on feet:)I will show you what you are blind to

Christopher Luxton AIR
Peter Beck Rocket Lab
Jaqui coombes Bunnings
Barbara chapman professional director
Anna Cuzon Xero
Andrew Grant Mckinsey & co
Bailey Mckay Pango
David McClean Westpac
Joc O'donnell HW Richardson
Rachel Taulelei Kono
Fraser Whineray Mercury

"To do that we need to work closely with business leaders, share ideas and consider solutions to overcoming barriers together."
A mix of six women and seven men with small to large business experience, from across New Zealand, were selected to provide advice,
The Government also recently established a 13-member Small Business Council which reports to Minister of Small Business Stuart Nash."

The govt has been listening, thats good.

I'm surprised there are 13 in the group. That makes it impossible to get exact gender balance - doesn't fit normal Labour waffle.

Baa_Baa
18-10-2018, 03:29 PM
That's the bit that has me concerned. Looks like they are catering to large corporates and bugger the biggest substantial part of the economy. All names but no substance.

Should it be assumed that the representatives from large companies are so self centred that they would not take into account their vast networks of supply, distribution, sub-contract and customers that are smaller businesses and SME's?

blackcap
18-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Should it be assumed that the representatives from large companies are so self centred that they would not take into account their vast networks of supply, distribution, sub-contract and customers that are smaller businesses and SME's?

Yeah pretty much assuming they are self-centered. But even if not, large corporates and SME's operate totally differently. Vastly different markets and vastly different skill sets required. I'm not saying the names are necessarily bad or inept, just wish there was a more diverse representation of the NZ business scene.

Joshuatree
18-10-2018, 03:59 PM
They've covered things well. But hey you could do it better ay lol.
"The Government also recently established a 13-member Small Business Council which reports to Minister of Small Business Stuart Nash."

minimoke
18-10-2018, 04:08 PM
"The Government also recently established a 13-member Small Business Council which reports to Minister of Small Business Stuart Nash."JT - it just confirms Labour sat on their arsis for 9 years doing nothing except pulling in parliamentary pay; entered Government clueless and consequently had set up all these advisory policy groups. Adern says ""I will also be asking the council to gather advice from their peers in the domestic and international business community on some of the most important issues facing New Zealand including how we best grow and share our prosperity, support regional development, and transition to a clean, green New Zealand," . So she doesnt know how to grow and share prosperity (taxing people who do for the benefit of those who dont) will be their plan). I thought Shane Jones had been given a pot load of loot for regional development

Raz
18-10-2018, 04:22 PM
"The Government also recently established a 13-member Small Business Council which reports to Minister of Small Business Stuart Nash."

Here is the members of that committee:

Terry Baucher: Director of Baucher Consulting Ltd
· Rachel Brown: CEO/Founder of Sustainable Business Network
· Anthony Buick-Constable: Deputy Chief Executive and General Counsel of NZ Bankers Association
· Nicole Buisson: Small Business Director, Xero
· Jim Gordon: Director of Jim Gordon Tax Ltd
· Andy Hamilton: CEO The Icehouse Ltd, Director of FaceMe Limited
· Jerry He: Chairman of Asia Pacific MSMEs Trade Coalition
· Allison Lawton: Chief Executive of Rotorua Chamber of Commerce
· Tenby Powell: Director of Hunter Powell Investment Partners
· Alison Brewer Shearer: General Manager, Fonterra Shareholders' Council
· Dr Deborah Shepherd: Senior Lecturer - University of Auckland Business School, Facilitator at the Icehouse
· Tania Siladi: Co-Owner/Director of Dragonfly Hospitality Group Limited, Co-Owner/Director of Asian Food Republic
· Leeann Watson: Chief Executive of Canterbury Employer’s Chamber of Commerce

Powell is chairman and Shepherd deputy chairman.

Slightly better although how many in that group have actually developed a small business, or grown a small high growth start up, or shown leadership in an area or actually in the VC space, perhaps developed from small a larger sustainable business, then gone on an advise or take private equity positions as investor/mentor...

There is plenty of people out there in this space...

BlackPeter
18-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Here is the members of that committee:

Terry Baucher: Director of Baucher Consulting Ltd
· Rachel Brown: CEO/Founder of Sustainable Business Network
· Anthony Buick-Constable: Deputy Chief Executive and General Counsel of NZ Bankers Association
· Nicole Buisson: Small Business Director, Xero
· Jim Gordon: Director of Jim Gordon Tax Ltd
· Andy Hamilton: CEO The Icehouse Ltd, Director of FaceMe Limited
· Jerry He: Chairman of Asia Pacific MSMEs Trade Coalition
· Allison Lawton: Chief Executive of Rotorua Chamber of Commerce
· Tenby Powell: Director of Hunter Powell Investment Partners
· Alison Brewer Shearer: General Manager, Fonterra Shareholders' Council
· Dr Deborah Shepherd: Senior Lecturer - University of Auckland Business School, Facilitator at the Icehouse
· Tania Siladi: Co-Owner/Director of Dragonfly Hospitality Group Limited, Co-Owner/Director of Asian Food Republic
· Leeann Watson: Chief Executive of Canterbury Employer’s Chamber of Commerce

Powell is chairman and Shepherd deputy chairman.

Slightly better although how many in that group have actually developed a small business, or grown a small high growth start up, or shown leadership in an area or actually in the VC space, perhaps developed from small a larger sustainable business, then gone on an advise or take private equity positions as investor/mentor...

There is plenty of people out there in this space...

LOL - looks like Fonterror is everywhere - what exactly is a Fonterror GM (and worse - from the shareholders council - this must be the fund fleezing NZ) doing in a SME advisory committee?

Only thing they can do is screw SME (e.g. by forcing them to accept terrible condiitons of payment or go bust), fleezing shareholdes and making losses, and this are the people Labour chooses to represent SME?

I knew that Labour is clueless, but didn't realise it is that bad. JT - just tell us more ;p;

Joshuatree
18-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Tell us what you stand for again lol

BlackPeter
18-10-2018, 05:55 PM
What do you mean? I assume you refer to my post in the Trump thread, do you?

I agree that the current NZ First (populist) led Labour government in NZ is much better than the current populist Trump government in the US. But liking one more than the other does not mean that I need to like any of them ...

I agree that Cindy & Co are probably well meaning (something I never would assume in the case of Trump and the current sad state of the GoP), but they are unfortunately quite good in hiding that they have any clues how to achieve perhaps good or at least acceptable goals and they are heavily ideological blind sided.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a government with good values as well as the competence to achieve with these values compatible goals?

blackcap
18-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a government with good values as well as the competence to achieve with these values compatible goals?

Like National? As far as I am concerned they are all just as corrupt as each other. But in a NZ context I would support National over Labour as I favour their policies. Not that I think they are any better or less corrupt. That doubles as an answer on the Trump thread.

iceman
18-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Like National? As far as I am concerned they are all just as corrupt as each other. But in a NZ context I would support National over Labour as I favour their policies. Not that I think they are any better or less corrupt. That doubles as an answer on the Trump thread.

Ditto blackcap. If anybody thinks the setup taped conversation is a sign of bad politics in NZ, they are naive. What did they think politics was like, whatever party. ? Politics, after all, is all about pushing ones agenda and influence.

I'm always in favour of looking at donations regulations. For example, I don't think its fair that my household pays much more towards Labour (involuntary) than we do towards National, through teacher union fees, without having a say in it.

Bjauck
19-10-2018, 08:41 AM
...I'm always in favour of looking at donations regulations. For example, I don't think its fair that my household pays much more towards Labour (involuntary) than we do towards National, through teacher union fees, without having a say in it.

Teacher Union fees paid from the salary of teachers? Teachers can vote in their union representatives. Business donors pay their donations out of profits derived from selling product and services to the public. The general public pay for all donations in one way or another.

Time to look at a formula and system of spending limits and public financing for political parties set by an independent body? Time to stop the system of private individuals, corporate and union donors buying influence in exchange for donations?

BlackPeter
19-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Did you hear me saying that?

I absolutely agree that there are corrupt and crooked politicians in all political parties - at the end they are just a cross section of the general population with all its strengths and weaknesses - aren't they?

Using however the general level of human weaknesses in all systems to excuse the organised and fascistoid crookedness in the GoP and Trumps government is like excusing the unspeakable crimes and murders of the Russian (or Chinese, or Italian) Mafia with the existance of pickpockets in an Italian country fair.

Time to look for the moral compass and / or some calibration ...?

artemis
19-10-2018, 02:38 PM
So far I have not seen anything in the current saga that is not matched, or exceeded, in the large end of the private sector, in my experience. And that includes 'inappropriate behaviour' of various types and the language used behind closed doors. Doesn't stop the rumours and gossip though.

Private sector is better at keeping it under wraps, quietly exiting lemons. Unless a PG reaches the employment court. Politicians and senior public servants are always under scrutiny. Managing in a fish bowl.

winner69
20-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Jacinda said “The Council will report to me on opportunities it sees and identify emerging challenges. It will bring new ideas to the table on how we can scale up New Zealand businesses and grow our export led wealth.”

Those big hitters might be good at running their own businesses but heck they’ve collectively been at for years but in that time they havent been able to help build a “productive, sustainable and inclusive economy that improves the wellbeing of New Zealanders.” have they.

Maybe these big hitters are part of the problem .....and we look to them to create change.

Maybe Jacinda just buying time ...but seen to be doing something.

winner69
22-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Q&A last night had (worrying) interview with Prof Brady re Chinese influence on our politics

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/q-and-a/clips/q-a-with-prof-anne-marie-brady

Answer to last question quite telling - seems quite brave in speaking out.

Raz
22-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Q&A last night had (worrying) interview with Prof Brady re Chinese influence on our politics

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/q-and-a/clips/q-a-with-prof-anne-marie-brady

Answer to last question quite telling - seems quite brave in speaking out.

I agree she does have courage.

iceman
27-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Cameron Bagrie on the ball with the madness that is interest free student loans. This Clark/Cullen desperate election bribe is costing us dearly https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12149524

BlackPeter
27-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Cameron Bagrie on the ball with the madness that is interest free student loans. This Clark/Cullen desperate election bribe is costing us dearly https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12149524

Not sure it's that easy. Sure - a student benefits from his/her education and should therefore contribute to its cost. However - a country benefits as well from having well educated physicians, teachers, researchers, engineers, lawyers and so on. This means that part of the burden of education should as well be carried by the country.

Obviously - how much on the country and how much on the individual is a pure political question ... as well as in which form the country contributes. Paying part of the tuition? Paying all of the tuition? Paying the tuition plus maintenance? Paying a percentage of all of above?

Personally - I did enjoy "free" tertiary education (though not in this country) and I suppose you did that as well (though probably not in this country?). I did study a subject which I could immediately use in the workforce and gave my tuition costs (in form of taxes) back to the society.

I think this is a fair schema.

More concerned about the society subsidizing courses which are highly likely to not contribute afterwards to society (because there are not enough relevant jobs). I guess nothing wrong with archeologists, scuba divers, musicians, art historians, psychologists and similar - and if they work in their profession afterwards and pay taxes - good on them. Question is more - is it sensible that society funds many more students in these fields than it is afterwards able of usefully employing? I'd call it madness to subsidize somebody to study something which will send them after completing their degrees on the doll.

Not too concerned about interest free student loans per se as long as students study something useful and sought after in society. But as indicated before - this is more a question of where you stand in the political spectrum, I would not consider a different view as madness - just different.

I agree however that we fund too many students to study things the society does not need afterwards. And we don't motivate capable students to study subjects we need. We fund them all irrespective of usefulness of their studies to society. This is dumb.

Joshuatree
27-10-2018, 11:51 AM
First KiwiBuild families welcomed to new Papakura homes (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/369595/first-kiwibuild-families-welcomed-to-new-papakura-homes)

We are off.:t_up:
The demand is such that those wanting to buy the homes had to have a pre-approved mortgage and then enter a ballot.
The musician, Dave Dobbyn, sang 'Welcome Home' to the families while neighbours and representatives from local and central government looked on

BlackPeter
27-10-2018, 12:03 PM
First KiwiBuild families welcomed to new Papakura homes (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/369595/first-kiwibuild-families-welcomed-to-new-papakura-homes)

The demand is such that those wanting to buy the homes had to have a pre-approved mortgage and then enter a ballot.
The musician, Dave Dobbyn, sang 'Welcome Home' to the families while neighbours and representatives from local and central government looked on

I think they did something similar in former socialist East Germany when people received 10 to 12 years after placing their orders their new car (or washing machine).

Isn't it great to experience socialism? A small number of lucky punters migh get a subsidized home ... and the rest stays out there in the rain. I am sure this will motivate voters.

So - they delivered 18 houses - is this right? Where are the other 9,982 houses Labour promised to build more every year?

https://cdn.thestandard.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/KiwiBuild_Factsheet.pdf?x35462

fungus pudding
27-10-2018, 12:08 PM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Which is plainly ridiculous. They should test the market - the ballot is no more than a lottery with nearly every entrant losing. The 'winner' is being given a bonus by the other taxpayers.

iceman
27-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Not sure it's that easy. Sure - a student benefits from his/her education and should therefore contribute to its cost. However - a country benefits as well from having well educated physicians, teachers, researchers, engineers, lawyers and so on. This means that part of the burden of education should as well be carried by the country.

Obviously - how much on the country and how much on the individual is a pure political question ... as well as in which form the country contributes. Paying part of the tuition? Paying all of the tuition? Paying the tuition plus maintenance? Paying a percentage of all of above?

Personally - I did enjoy "free" tertiary education (though not in this country) and I suppose you did that as well (though probably not in this country?). I did study a subject which I could immediately use in the workforce and gave my tuition costs (in form of taxes) back to the society.

I think this is a fair schema.

More concerned about the society subsidizing courses which are highly likely to not contribute afterwards to society (because there are not enough relevant jobs). I guess nothing wrong with archeologists, scuba divers, musicians, art historians, psychology and similar - and if they work in their profession afterwards and pay taxes - good on them. Question is more - is it sensible that society funds many more students in these fields than it is afterwards able of usefully employing? I'd call it madness to subsidize somebody to study something which will send them after completing their degrees on the doll.

Not too concerned about interest free student loans per se as long as students study something useful and sought after in society. But as indicated before - this is more a question of where you stand in the political spectrum, I would not consider a different view as madness - just different.

I agree however that we fund too many students to study things the society does not need afterwards. And we don't motivate capable students to study subjects we need. We fund them all irrespective of usefulness of their studies to society. This is dumb.

The problem with this policy is that is not at all targeted and over 50% of borrowers move overseas after their education with no intention of repaying the loan. It is very costly for the country and in my view, the money should be put to much better use.

You're right about my education, same situation as yours. We were very lucky.

BlackPeter
27-10-2018, 01:15 PM
The problem with this policy is that is not at all targeted and over 50% of borrowers move overseas after their education with no intention of repaying the loan. It is very costly for the country and in my view, the money should be put to much better use.

I guess the issue with people moving overseas would be easy to fix ... just introduce a bond for people asking for a interest free student loan and require them to work for a certain number of years within NZ or pay a penalty (like repaying the forgone interest).

On the other hand - NZ did benefit from my education and didn't pay for it (I worked in my job here for 2 decades or so) and same with the education of say in average 20k other highly qualified immigrants per year who bring their degrees to NZ without NZ having to pay for it.

Why should we not give as well something back to the other countries who educated the immigrants?

The trick would be to make life in NZ more desirable for the right people so that we have a net gain of well educated people (actually - I think we have that anyway) - though admittedly - the current government does whatever they can to get rid of well educated foreigners (applying populist sentiments and policies), but as well getting rid of well educated Kiwis (just watch the falling net immigration numbers - this is immigrants minus emigrants).

Joshuatree
27-10-2018, 03:43 PM
I think they did something similar in former socialist East Germany when people received 10 to 12 years after placing their orders their new car (or washing machine).

Isn't it great to experience socialism? A small number of lucky punters migh get a subsidized home ... and the rest stays out there in the rain. I am sure this will motivate voters.

So - they delivered 18 houses - is this right? Where are the other 9,982 houses Labour promised to build more every year?

https://cdn.thestandard.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/KiwiBuild_Factsheet.pdf?x35462

Just the beginning my friend. Momentum will build from here.

Read the interview in todays herald "Builder feels right at home"
It states " an ex state house kid is now working with HNZ on a 10 year $30 billion plan to deliver more than 30,000 houses across auckland.Chris Aiken heads the business chosen to manage one of Australsias biggest urban regeneration projects working with HNZC to transform homes on about 1000 ha of state owned auckland land.
The right man for this job.

iceman
28-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Kiwbuild bound to become a "train wreck" according to someone with experience in the field https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/10/25/291004/kiwibuild-a-community-trainwreck

Maybe our Government should look at the very poor results of the community projects in QLD but I suspect they won't do that !

winner69
28-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Don’t think Jacinda would givevthis Guy much credence

Have we overestimated the relationship between income and financial well-being?
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/the-relationship-between-income-and-financial-well-being/

minimoke
28-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Good onya Labour. Just what we need as a migrant - a drug smuggling, kick boxer, lying, Hells angel associate. Jan Antolik (or what ever name he is using at the moment) will think he has won a lottery. especially when prior drug and robbery charges were dropped. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108155476/jailed-drugdealer-escapes-deportation-as-govt-grants-him-nz-residency-behind-bars

BlackPeter
28-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Good onya Labour. Just what we need as a migrant - a drug smuggling, kick boxer, lying, Hells angel associate. Jan Antolik (or what ever name he is using at the moment) will think he has won a lottery. especially when prior drug and robbery charges were dropped. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108155476/jailed-drugdealer-escapes-deportation-as-govt-grants-him-nz-residency-behind-bars

Obviously - there must be more to the story than what the public knows, but doesn't sound good.

iceman
29-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Obviously - there must be more to the story than what the public knows, but doesn't sound good.

No doubt some rubbish on him being in danger of being killed if he goes back blah blah. Even if he is, why is that our problem ? Send him back on the first flight.

fungus pudding
29-10-2018, 09:28 AM
No doubt some rubbish on him being in danger of being killed if he goes back blah blah. Even if he is, why is that our problem ?

And why would that make it top secret?

Joshuatree
29-10-2018, 09:33 AM

It states " an ex state house kid is now working with HNZ on a 10 year $30 billion plan to deliver more than 30,000 houses across auckland.Chris Aiken heads the business chosen to manage one of Australsias biggest urban regeneration projects working with HNZC to transform homes on about 1000 ha of state owned auckland land.

Shared equity or Co Ownership sounds like a great idea too. With Govt ; and other partners already operating.

Co-Ownership Housing - A Step Ladder Into Your First HomeThe First ...https://www.thefirsthomebuyersclub.co.nz/co-ownership-housing/ (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjeiYbI-6neAhVaSX0KHa57BXYQFjABegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefirsthomebuyersclub.co.nz %2Fco-ownership-housing%2F&usg=AOvVaw3cgu4euTAT2YTmamFAMcFh)

Government looking at shared equity scheme for first ... - NZ Heraldhttps://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid... (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjeiYbI-6neAhVaSX0KHa57BXYQFjACegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzherald.co.nz%2Fbusiness%2F news%2Farticle.cfm%3Fc_id%3D3%26objectid%3D1205184 0&usg=AOvVaw36g9TQa2vxx-WATaE9BXIh)

BlackPeter
29-10-2018, 09:43 AM
No doubt some rubbish on him being in danger of being killed if he goes back blah blah. Even if he is, why is that our problem ? Send him back on the first flight.

Difficult.

I guess if we assume for a moment that we can trust the people who made the decision, than I could think as well about some bona fide reasons for allowing him to stay here. And if there are, it might not be too helpful speculating about them in public.

Question is just - does the current bunch of ministers deserve this trust to make the right decision? Best course of action might be to get a respected retired judge or similar to review and confirm or otherwise the ministers decision.

minimoke
29-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Shared equity or Co Ownership sounds like a great idea too. With Govt ; and other partners already operating.

Co-Ownership Housing - A Step Ladder Into Your First HomeThe First ...https://www.thefirsthomebuyersclub.co.nz/co-ownership-housing/ (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjeiYbI-6neAhVaSX0KHa57BXYQFjABegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefirsthomebuyersclub.co.nz %2Fco-ownership-housing%2F&usg=AOvVaw3cgu4euTAT2YTmamFAMcFh)

Government looking at shared equity scheme for first ... - NZ Heraldhttps://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid... (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjeiYbI-6neAhVaSX0KHa57BXYQFjACegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzherald.co.nz%2Fbusiness%2F news%2Farticle.cfm%3Fc_id%3D3%26objectid%3D1205184 0&usg=AOvVaw36g9TQa2vxx-WATaE9BXIh)I'm not going to argue it seems liek a good idea but I look at teh numbers on that first website and cringe. eg
Example of 3-Bedroom House at Tapuwae Way, Mangere Bridge
Asking Price $760,000

First Home Buyer’s Deposit: $38,000
Co-Ownership Investment: $190,000
First Home Buyer’s Mortgage: $532,000

Really - is home ownership a dream we should be spruiking if a person is up for a $532,000 mortgage for a 75% stake in a property. Seriously - I couldn't sleep at night with that kind of debt on that kind of equity. For a start its about $500 a week in interest payments. Then there is rates and insurance and maintenance on top.

Then there's the issue of risk. Why should the NZ tax payer, via the govt, expose themselves to a $190,000 risk that a private individual isn't prepared to carry themselves. That risk is enhanced because I doubt the maintenance part will be done on the property thus it becomes a depreciating asset.

(And thats comments from me without me doing any due diligence on the First Home Buyers Club - which has a few of my red flag of warning sensors tingling))

iceman
29-10-2018, 02:18 PM
And why would that make it top secret?

I can't imagine the reasons for giving this criminal residency should or are "top secret". This most transparent Government in NZ's history (according to the PM) recently criticised the Australian Immigration Minister for keeping secret the reasons for deporting criminals, but here we are using the same tactics to give a criminal residency.
Surely the public has a right to know the reasons for this unbelievable decision.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12150741

artemis
30-10-2018, 01:50 PM
..... Really - is home ownership a dream we should be spruiking if a person is up for a $532,000 mortgage for a 75% stake in a property. Seriously - I couldn't sleep at night with that kind of debt on that kind of equity. For a start its about $500 a week in interest payments. Then there is rates and insurance and maintenance on top.

Then there's the issue of risk. Why should the NZ tax payer, via the govt, expose themselves to a $190,000 risk that a private individual isn't prepared to carry themselves. That risk is enhanced because I doubt the maintenance part will be done on the property thus it becomes a depreciating asset.

(And thats comments from me without me doing any due diligence on the First Home Buyers Club - which has a few of my red flag of warning sensors tingling))

Apart from risk in shared equity schemes, the money has to come from somewhere and somebody has to pay for the use of it. In the buyers club mentioned, that appears to be the home owner via an unspecified monthly payment. If the government aka taxpayer, who knows?

Rent to buy (lease option) schemes are less common now. Some made a truckload of money from them simply because some lost same. The latter when the lease options were cancelled due to non payment or other breach. They walked away with nothing. For the other party rinse and repeat. I would be wary of the buyers club approach without looking very very carefully into default provisions in the contract.

Marilyn Munroe
30-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Difficult.

I guess if we assume for a moment that we can trust the people who made the decision, than I could think as well about some bona fide reasons for allowing him to stay here. And if there are, it might not be too helpful speculating about them in public.

Question is just - does the current bunch of ministers deserve this trust to make the right decision? Best course of action might be to get a respected retired judge or similar to review and confirm or otherwise the ministers decision.

He is a known associate of Hells Angels, Those guys will be trying to figure out the following trail of questions.

Why did the Govermant give this guy residency?

Did he trade it for something?

What has he got to trade?

Has he traded information about us?

Together with the lenient sentence handed down for previous offending the Tony Soprano of Hells Angels will be wondering if Jan Antolik is his Salvatore "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

blackcap
30-10-2018, 02:13 PM
He is a known associate of Hells Angels, Those guys will be trying to figure out the following trail of questions.

Why did the Govermant give this guy residency?

Did he trade it for something?

What has he got to trade?

Has he traded information about us?

Together with the lenient sentence handed down for previous offending the Tony Soprano of Hells Angels will be wondering if Jan Antolik is his Salvatore "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

Well Jacinda wants us to read between the lines as per her interview this morning. If I read between the "lines" pardon the pun, I infer that this dude may have sold some of the white powder to a certain partner of our leader, and therefore he used the threat of exposure and that is why they allowed him to stay. That is pure speculation on my part but we are told to read between the lines by her Cindy herself, so those are my tea leaves readings :)

minimoke
30-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Well Jacinda wants us to read between the lines as per her interview this morning. If I read between the "lines" pardon the pun, I infer that this dude may have sold some of the white powder to a certain partner of our leader, and therefore he used the threat of exposure and that is why they allowed him to stay. That is pure speculation on my part but we are told to read between the lines by her Cindy herself, so those are my tea leaves readings :)
Hmm interesting. Its not what I read between the lines. My reading was he supplied labour party events and they need to buy his silence. Its a strategy that worked well with the person who supplied the labour sex camp with alcohol we still don't know who that was despite this being the most open and transparent government in the whole of NZ history.

Joshuatree
30-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Take your pick n mix.My guess is he was blackmailing a top allback after providing him with white powder and then photographing said allblack in the snorting act on a bible on the hotel bed with a wanna be senior national female MP.

Be as creative as you want to be, next please.:D

Joshuatree
30-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Electric Trains saved after all (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1810/S00418/electric-trains-saved-after-all.htm)

Excellent, common sense EV all the way on the main trunk line. Also with Maersk soon to be delivering its cargo for wellington, to tauranga instead, then railed to welly there will be plenty of xtra freight wagons using this carbon reducing service..

iceman
31-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Electric Trains saved after all (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1810/S00418/electric-trains-saved-after-all.htm)

Excellent, common sense EV all the way on the main trunk line. Also with Maersk soon to be delivering its cargo for wellington, to tauranga instead, then railed to welly there will be plenty of xtra freight wagons using this carbon reducing service..

No question we will see more of transport, both public and private using electricity which is good news. I just hope, with the upcoming and crazy demise of our natural gas industry, that it doesn't mean we will be importing more coal to keep our power stations going ! That wouldn't be very clean and green.

minimoke
31-10-2018, 07:14 AM
No question we will see more of transport, both public and private using electricity which is good news. I just hope, with the upcoming and crazy demise of our natural gas industry, that it doesn't mean we will be importing more coal to keep our power stations going ! That wouldn't be very clean and green.
Might need to wreck a few more rivers with dams to create enough supply

blackcap
31-10-2018, 07:23 AM

Even with all the natural gas we currently have, even a 10% increase in the demand for electricity would put our security of supply under some serious pressure. Electric is good, but we need to transition properly and not the way the current COL think we can. They have no idea.

JBmurc
31-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Might need to wreck a few more rivers with dams to create enough supply

Which have a limited lifespan .. I drive past two dams on the way to work >>

The Roxburgh dam will probably be the first large concrete gravity dam to be decommissioned in New Zealand. The obvious question is, when In 2007, Contact Energy was granted consents to continue operating its dams on the Clutha River for another 35 years. It seems highly unlikely that the reservoir will remain viable until 2042. The most likely scenario is that another major flood will prompt an investigation into the decommissioning issue, but probably only after further significant damage occurs. A major earthquake could also hasten this process.

Decommissioning a large dam is a complex and expensive process that can take decades to complete. The costs involved are significant, and have been estimated at 35-150% in proportion to the cost of dam construction at current values.

iceman
31-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Even with all the natural gas we currently have, even a 10% increase in the demand for electricity would put our security of supply under some serious pressure. Electric is good, but we need to transition properly and not the way the current COL think we can. They have no idea.

Totally agree blackcap. There is huge push to transition towards electricity from fossil fuels but very little thought goes into how we will sensibly achieve this, particularly from the current Government that places idealism much higher than realism.

winner69
31-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Wellington to Tauranga — But electric trains from Tauranga will only be able to go to Waikanae (some way out of Wellington) as Wellington rail network is incompatible with main trunk network.

And doesn’t it seem strange Kiwirail just ordered another 20 diesel locomotives from China

winner69
31-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Got operating deficit wider than expected in Q2 ....but like many company announcementsvit will be all honky dory over the rest of the year

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/2d47aac8/govt-operating-deficit-wider-than-expected-in-first-three-months-of-year.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Govt%20operating%20deficit%20wider%20 than%20expected%20in%20first%20three%20months%20of %20year&utm_content=Govt%20operating%20deficit%20wider%20t han%20expected%20in%20first%20three%20months%20of% 20year+CID_47e3687f9348403e5af01e96a8522924&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=httpwwwsharechatconzarticle2d47aac8govt-operating-deficit-wider-than-expected-in-first-three-months-of-yearhtml

minimoke
31-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Just as well these surveys a load of thevproverbial

Business confidence continues to slide, as demand and profits fall

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/107527546/Business-confidence-continues-to-slide-as-demand-and-profits-fallThat article was before the recent sharementket slump so we are all a lot more gloomier now.

winner69
31-10-2018, 01:51 PM
That article was before the recent sharementket slump so we are all a lot more gloomier now.

Posted wrong article and deleted post but you really quick of the mark mini

Latest ANZ one out today not so good either

https://www.interest.co.nz/business/96642/anzs-latest-business-outlook-survey-shows-confidence-has-steadied-remains-low-levels

iceman
31-10-2018, 02:21 PM
The Immigration Minister has just told Parliament that he has today been made aware of information that could possibly contradict the information he was given in order to make his decision to give the Czech criminal residency. He is now seeking advice and clarification on this new information !!!

minimoke
31-10-2018, 02:30 PM
The Immigration Minister has just told Parliament that he has today been made aware of information that could possibly contradict the information he was given in order to make his decision to give the Czech criminal residency. He is now seeking advice and clarification on this new information !!!
I smell a new Working Party about to be set up to advise the Minister on the issue. The "Reading Between The Lines" technique may need revising.

Marilyn Munroe
31-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Will the loco upgrade mean they will be able to work under the Auckland area overhead?

Some dude on the internet claimed if the locos in their existing configuration connected to the Auckland overhead they would weld themselves to the rail.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

Jay
31-10-2018, 03:07 PM
I hear that they are reviewing the Sroubek case, it seems he may have been back to the Czech republic and lived to tell the tale

Jay
31-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Will the loco upgrade mean they will be able to work under the Auckland area overhead?

Some dude on the internet claimed if the locos in their existing configuration connected to the Auckland overhead they would weld themselves to the rail.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

One would hope so. in a small country like ours you would think that things like that would be compatible, but apparently not, well at present anyways

minimoke
31-10-2018, 03:39 PM
I hear that they are reviewing the Sroubek case, it seems he may have been back to the Czech republic and lived to tell the taleSurely a competent minister would have checked before making a decision.

winner69
31-10-2018, 03:45 PM
One would hope so. in a small country like ours you would think that things like that would be compatible, but apparently not, well at present anyways

What MM mentioned also applies to the line from Wellington to Waikanae as well

Jay
31-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Surely a competent minister would have checked before making a decision.

Apparently it has only come to his attention now, so he said in the sound bite I heard

minimoke
31-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Apparently it has only come to his attention now, so he said in the sound bite I heardAh - the standard ........if you know you wont like the answer dont ask the question technique.

In this historic open and transparent government all questions and information should have been on the table before the decision was made.

ari
01-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Classic.....pretty scary...https://www.scribd.com/document/391829444/Letter-to-Karel-Sroubek-from-Iain-Lees-Galloway

iceman
01-11-2018, 10:49 AM
"Although I am satisfied you meet the criteria for deportation from New Zealand" says the Minister. What the heck !

Joshuatree
01-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Wellington to Tauranga — But electric trains from Tauranga will only be able to go to Waikanae (some way out of Wellington) as Wellington rail network is incompatible with main trunk network.

And doesn’t it seem strange Kiwirail just ordered another 20 diesel locomotives from China

About 62.5% of main trunk line is currently electrified including the approved Pukekohe line.
Short stretches to join still.
Waikanae to P/N , about 1 hour travelling time.
Te Rapa to pukekohe re 1 hour 20 min.
Auckland to Tauranga the most profitable route will be in the mix for consideration. Review to consider more/complete electrification.

Its easy to adjust electric trains to run on different voltages etc.

Simon Bridges signed the order for the Electric trains to be decommissioned, up to 10-15 mothballed. This guy keeps making the wrong decisions!. He and kiwi rail went for standardisation with all diesel and ordered and received cheaper but poor performing chinese locos!.

Electric trainscare cheaper then any other locomotives to run and maintain.

Scrapping electric meant 8.000,000 lites a year of diesel use and 12,000 tonnes of C02.
Kiwis want more freight off roads and on rail.enough of a reason in itself, to reduce our carbon footprint and be responsible and lead by example.

Joshuatree
01-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Momentum in Porirua, $1.5 Billion over 25 years
"Ms Adern said the "hugely significant announcements" was expected to see 2900 state homes in Porirua be made "warmer, drier and safer", and there would be an additional 2000 homes - a mix of affordable, KiwiBuild and market properties.

The Government intends to work alongside the Council, community and Ngāti Toa." TV ONE news now

BlackPeter
01-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Momentum in Porirua, $1.5 Billion over 25 years
"Ms Adern said the "hugely significant announcements" was expected to see 2900 state homes in Porirua be made "warmer, drier and safer", and there would be an additional 2000 homes - a mix of affordable, KiwiBuild and market properties.

The Government intends to work alongside the Council, community and Ngāti Toa." TV ONE news now

I guess with a 25 years time frame they will be safe. Looking at their current record I doubt this government will survive this term ;);

But seriously - you are talking about warm fuzzy words. Lots of that from the current government. However - given that they are now more than a year in the job, it just would be nice to see some meaningful results instead of promises they never will be hold to account for.

Just curious - are at least the first 18 homes (of the 10.000 every year - LOL) already released? According to the information at the celebration the lottery winners (new owners) still need to wait for a month or so to be able to move in ...

Joshuatree
01-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Facts my friend facts, you dont even have conjecture there lol.

BlackPeter
01-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Facts my friend facts, you dont even have conjecture there lol.

Interesting - so you are calling what is at best a political motivated promise a "fact"? This certainly adds a new dimension to using "alternative facts".

Ahh - I got it, you mean it is a fact that she made the promise.

Problem is just - even Cindy's truth record is not anymore impeccable (remember the Clare Curren story?) - and talking about breaking promises, ah well - lets not go there, shall we?

Joshuatree
01-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Do you know what a hammer is?

Joshuatree
01-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Cant keep up with all the REAL good stuff happening.Just keeps coming.

TPP takes effect: Exporters await tariff-cut benefits (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/369875/tpp-takes-effect-exporters-await-tariff-cut-benefits)
"He said the deal gave protection to signatory countries, with an assurance rules would be followed, and a signal that there was "a new rules-based order out there in the world that people can buy into if they want."

BlackPeter
01-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Cant keep up with all the REAL good stuff happening.Just keeps coming.

TPP takes effect: Exporters await tariff-cut benefits (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/369875/tpp-takes-effect-exporters-await-tariff-cut-benefits)
"He said the deal gave protection to signatory countries, with an assurance rules would be followed, and a signal that there was "a new rules-based order out there in the world that people can buy into if they want."

OK - one postive (and even correct) announcement. However wasn't it National negotiating this agreement for New Zealand? Labour's major contribution was to help removing the US from the agreement after the idiot moved into the white hosue :);

But still - praise where praise is due ... good that Labour didn't ditch the agreement given how hard they fired against it while still in opposition.

minimoke
01-11-2018, 04:37 PM
OK - one postive (and even correct) announcement. However wasn't it National negotiating this agreement for New Zealand? Labour's major contribution was to help removing the US from the agreement after the idiot moved into the white hosue :);

But still - praise where praise is due ... good that Labour didn't ditch the agreement given how hard they fired against it while still in opposition.Forgive me but my eyes glaze over at teh mention of TPP.

However Labour did have 5 non-negotiable bottom lines. How did they get on?

• Pharmac must be protected
• Corporations cannot successfully sue the Government for regulating in the public interest
• New Zealand maintains the right to restrict sales of farm land and housing to non-resident foreigner buyers
• The Treaty of Waitangi must be upheld
• Meaningful gains are made for our farmers in tariff reductions and market access

BlackPeter
01-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Forgive me but my eyes glaze over at teh mention of TPP.

However Labour did have 5 non-negotiable bottom lines. How did they get on?

• Pharmac must be protected
• Corporations cannot successfully sue the Government for regulating in the public interest
• New Zealand maintains the right to restrict sales of farm land and housing to non-resident foreigner buyers
• The Treaty of Waitangi must be upheld
• Meaningful gains are made for our farmers in tariff reductions and market access

I think the clause related to restricting sales of land to foreigners is a non-issue, given that they put that into law before the agreement came into force (in this case it would have been ok under the old agreement as well - some of the other countries have comparable restrictions as well).

No idea whether they made any changes related to the other issues, but I am sure JT will be happy to report ;);

iceman
01-11-2018, 08:02 PM

But still - praise where praise is due ... good that Labour didn't ditch the agreement given how hard they fired against it while still in opposition.

We can always rely on Winnie as every Government he belongs to is very good at signing FTAs, despite his crusade against them when in opposition.

Joshuatree
02-11-2018, 01:09 PM
I think the clause related to restricting sales of land to foreigners is a non-issue, given that they put that into law before the agreement came into force (in this case it would have been ok under the old agreement as well - some of the other countries have comparable restrictions as well).

No idea whether they made any changes related to the other issues, but I am sure JT will be happy to report ;);

Not forgetting national said it just couldn't be done lol.

BlackPeter
02-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Not forgetting national said it just couldn't be done lol.

And they might have been right. Just remember that Trumps demise (unfortunately just out of the TPP) did buy all other participants time to change their national laws ...

Never thought the bully in the white house could be good for something?

But anyway - sort of disappointed. We expected from you a quality response convincing us of Labour's greatness instead of a flippant remark related to a windfall win for the government thanks to Trump's demise.

Joshuatree
02-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Meanwhile, letting fees gone at last.
Renters 'really really happy' letting fees will be banned (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/370045/renters-really-really-happy-letting-fees-will-be-banned)

Joshuatree
02-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Very cool
“Building on existing partnerships with Ngaī Tahu, landholders, and local councils this nationally significant biodiversity project builds on decades of DOC’s biodiversity work and the help of many volunteers.
Inspirational predator free Mackenzie project announced (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1811/S00025/inspirational-predator-free-mackenzie-project-announced.htm)

minimoke
02-11-2018, 03:30 PM
No sh1t Sherlock: "Ardern said three weeks was too long for the investigation, and she wanted answers "as quickly as possible". "My expectation is that it is done very quickly, because from what I've seen this hasn't been good enough."

What did Lees-Galloway expect from a lying, drug smuggling gang associate. These Labour MP's seem to live in little happy princess land where all is sweetness and nice. Totally oblivious to reality. The general public knew it was a mistake within nano-seconds. Why would L-G need 3 weeks - other than hope that during the delay the spotlight could be shone on some other incompetent Labour MP who pops their head above the ramparts.

winner69
02-11-2018, 03:37 PM
No sh1t Sherlock: "Ardern said three weeks was too long for the investigation, and she wanted answers "as quickly as possible". "My expectation is that it is done very quickly, because from what I've seen this hasn't been good enough."

What did Lees-Galloway expect from a lying, drug smuggling gang associate. These Labour MP's seem to live in little happy princess land where all is sweetness and nice. Totally oblivious to reality. The general public knew it was a mistake within nano-seconds. Why would L-G need 3 weeks - other than hope that during the delay the spotlight could be shone on some other incompetent Labour MP who pops their head above the ramparts.

Did you like her glum face at the press conference ....or was it the jeez I have some stupid ministers

blackcap
02-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Meanwhile, letting fees gone at last.
Renters 'really really happy' letting fees will be banned (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/370045/renters-really-really-happy-letting-fees-will-be-banned)

Why? Rents are going to go up to compensate. So not too sure why renters will be happy.

minimoke
02-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Did you like her glum face at the press conference ....or was it the jeez I have some stupid ministersI just think its tragic - Adern has such a shallow pool of talent to work with.

How big and how many red flags does a minister (small "m" cos he hasnt earnt a big "M")need before making a sensible decision.

Oh, I'm writing to a person who I immediately identify as a con - by holding a residents visa in another's name. Nope . Nothing to see here.

A prisoner? I wonder if that is the sort of person we want in NZ. Lets not worry about such triffles

Hmm hes in prison for smuggling drugs which not only destroys the life of the user but the users family. I don't know? His mum probably loves him

Well what do you know, hes a Hells Angel Gang associate. Classy.

Whats that I hear? You are a kick boxer. I bet a person in that kind of sport wouldn't threaten an ex-wife. Ex wife - best I dont even go there.

And you say you are scared for your life if you were to be returned to your home country which is in the EU and you can carry an Eu passport which gives you free access to anywhere in the EU. That will never do.

All totally transparent and above board. Nothing of concern here. The lines can be read between without fear or favour. Now where do I sign?

The officials have done a great job and there's no bus near by, but quick now - there a golden unicorn floating past my window.

fungus pudding
02-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Why? Rents are going to go up to compensate. So not too sure why renters will be happy.

I take my hat off to this weird govt. for that move. I have long argued that it is bizarre for agents and prop. managers to charge the tenant when they are very clearly engaged by, and act for, the landlord.
If it finds its way into an increase in rent - well so be it. That's where it belongs; but I suspect the first thing we will see is many more landlords letting their own properties directly.

N.B. nothing in the above post detracts from my opinion of Phil Twyford as a complete nit-wit who is way out of his depth.

minimoke
02-11-2018, 05:17 PM
I take my hat off to this weird govt. for that move. I have long argued that it is bizarre for agents and prop. managers to charge the tenant when they are very clearly engaged by, and act for, the landlord.
If it finds its way into an increase in rent - well so be it. That's where it belongs; but I suspect the first thing we will see is many more landlords letting their own properties directly.

N.B. nothing in the above post detracts from my opinion of Phil Twyford as a complete nit-wit who is way out of his depth.Agree with that. And I'm not sure landlords doing it direct will do any favours for prospective tenants. I suspect Landords will find their own alternative channels to find suitable tenants - some of these wont even get a look in. (disc - I always did my own management - the thought of paying an agent had no appeal given the work required)

Joshuatree
02-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Dont judge a book by its cover.;)

minimoke
02-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Dont judge a book by its cover.;) In the real world first impressions count.. Would you rent your house to this nice man? https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/108312567/new-plymouth-courtroom-erupts-after-gang-member-punches-cooffender-in-dock

blackcap
02-11-2018, 05:40 PM

N.B. nothing in the above post detracts from my opinion of Phil Twyford as a complete nit-wit who is way out of his depth.

Agree that it is bizarre for agents and prop. managers to charge the tenants etc. But I do not think renters will be happy, when ultimately they will be paying more down the track. There is no free lunch in this business. So probably good to legislate for this but not sure what the tenants are going to celebrate.

Joshuatree
02-11-2018, 05:43 PM
In the real world first impressions count.. Would you rent your house to this nice man? https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/108312567/new-plymouth-courtroom-erupts-after-gang-member-punches-cooffender-in-dock

Too short.;)

minimoke
02-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Too short.;)that was my thought as well. You can legally discriminate against short people - though I am not sure if Short Man Syndrome is a recognized disability

fungus pudding
02-11-2018, 06:38 PM
that was my thought as well. You can legally discriminate against short people - though I am not sure if Short Man Syndrome is a recognized disability

Dwarf throwing is frowned upon, which ruined a great pub sport.

westerly
02-11-2018, 06:41 PM

He seems to have been accquitted on many charges. Meanwhile we eagerly await the publication of the report on the investigation into the National Party culture. Should be good for a few laughs.

westerly

minimoke
02-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Meanwhile we eagerly await the publication of the report on the investigation into the National Party culture. Should be good for a few laughs.

westerlyit is probably stuck in traffic behind the labour sex alcohol camp report

fungus pudding
02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
He seems to have been accquitted on many charges. Meanwhile we eagerly await the publication of the report on the investigation into the National Party culture. Should be good for a few laughs.

westerly

While I eagerly await to see who will replace Lees Galloway once Jacinda boots him out, with Winston's blessing of course. That will be good for a few laughs.

Snow Leopard
02-11-2018, 07:19 PM
... You can legally discriminate against short people...

That is apart-height.

minimoke
02-11-2018, 08:57 PM
While I eagerly await to see who will replace Lees Galloway once Jacinda boots him out, with Winston's blessing of course. That will be good for a few laughs.Might be time for a Green MP, like dimwit Golriz Ghahanraman. She would be good in the Immigration portfolio given her mis truth about refugee status. And she knows how to defend offenders. And she is very creative with the truth and doesnt mind ignoring a few absolute human rights. A perfect replacement

fungus pudding
02-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Might be time for a Green MP, like dimwit Golriz Ghahanraman. She would be good in the Immigration portfolio given her mis truth about refugee status. And she knows how to defend offenders. And she is very creative with the truth and doesnt mind ignoring a few absolute human rights. A perfect replacement

Yeah - she's a shocker. I think the only serious talent in The Kermit party might be Chloe Swarbrick, but it's a bit early to say.

iceman
02-11-2018, 11:09 PM
That is apart-height.

Comment of the week. :-)

iceman
02-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Might be time for a Green MP, like dimwit Golriz Ghahanraman. She would be good in the Immigration portfolio given her mis truth about refugee status. And she knows how to defend offenders. And she is very creative with the truth and doesnt mind ignoring a few absolute human rights. A perfect replacement

The problem for today's Green Party is that they bring in these new excited people like Gareth Hughes, Golriz, Chlöe Swarbrick etc etc. But once they get into Parliament, they seem to be out of their depth and we never hear from them again. In fact, what happened to that Chlöe Swarbrick who I thought was the future of the Greens ? She's disappeared !

minimoke
02-11-2018, 11:42 PM
You'll find Gorliz at your local protest along with the other unemploed and professional hand wringers. Chloe's out the back still practising her "earnest" look. The others can be found around New Zealand counting all the turtles they have saved with their single use plastic bag ban campaign.

blackcap
03-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Whats the Callahans doing chucking $315,000 at a crypto startup?

https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/11/more-money-than-cents/#more-419785

iceman
03-11-2018, 12:23 PM
You'll find Gorliz at your local protest along with the other unemploed and professional hand wringers. Chloe's out the back still practising her "earnest" look. The others can be found around New Zealand counting all the turtles they have saved with their single use plastic bag ban campaign.

Sadly the single use plastic bag ban in NZ doesn't help the ocean one bit :-(
It turns out that about 90 percent of all the plastic that reaches the world's oceans gets flushed through just 10 rivers: The Yangtze, the Indus, Yellow River, Hai River, the Nile, the Ganges, Pearl River, Amur River, the Niger, and the Mekong (in that order).

minimoke
03-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Sadly the single use plastic bag ban in NZ doesn't help the ocean one bit :-(
It turns out that about 90 percent of all the plastic that reaches the world's oceans gets flushed through just 10 rivers: The Yangtze, the Indus, Yellow River, Hai River, the Nile, the Ganges, Pearl River, Amur River, the Niger, and the Mekong (in that order).
The other bit of information Labour and Greens miss is that 52% of the plastic in the worlds oceans is fishing nets rope and line and 48% is hard plastic (fishing crates and the like along with plastic bottle and caps) Straws and plastic bags make no statistically relevant contribution at all.

Our "feel good" is what you get when you have a flake of a PM who is influenced by school kids who are obviously being taught rubbish.

Joshuatree
03-11-2018, 06:11 PM
That justifies your feeling good about doing nothing ?.What a cop out.

westerly
03-11-2018, 06:24 PM
The other bit of information Labour and Greens miss is that 52% of the plastic in the worlds oceans is fishing nets rope and line and 48% is hard plastic (fishing crates and the like along with plastic bottle and caps) Straws and plastic bags make no statistically relevant contribution at all.

Our "feel good" is what you get when you have a flake of a PM who is influenced by school kids who are obviously being taught rubbish.

Wander down the beach and look at all the rubbish that has drifted across from all those rivers in the northern hemisphere eh.
And all those single use plastic bags they breakdown in landfills don't they?
I suppose you are worried like D. Seymore that you will die from an infection caught from a reusable bag.

westerly

blackcap
03-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Wander down the beach and look at all the rubbish that has drifted across from all those rivers in the northern hemisphere eh.
And all those single use plastic bags they breakdown in landfills don't they?
I suppose you are worried like D. Seymore that you will die from an infection caught from a reusable bag.

westerly

do we really want this: Seymour was “completely opposed” to the plastic bag ban, citing a US research paper from 2012 which showed a switch to reusable bags killed around five people a year in San Francisco.

Supermarket bags. Again follow the stories,
1. plastic bags are killing turtles so ban them.
2. Supermarkets stop giving away plastic bags (ie save themselves money) but will happily sell you a plastic bag (ie make more money as they cost more)
3. Reusable bags are now killing humans (or are more likely to).
4. Another story yesterday about how sales of plastic rubbish bags at supermarkets are up x% and supermarkets are having trouble keeping up with stock.
5. Plastic straws sales are down and paper straw sales are up
6. We need to chop down more trees to make paper items when trees are needed to stop so called climate change.

This world is going crazy. What happened to common sense!

Baa_Baa
03-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Supermarkets get rid of plastic bags because they figured out the alternatives are more profitable. Have to admit that their timing is impeccable leveraging the hysteria.

westerly
03-11-2018, 07:37 PM
do we really want this: Seymour was “completely opposed” to the plastic bag ban, citing a US research paper from 2012 which showed a switch to reusable bags killed around five people a year in San Francisco.

This world is going crazy. What happened to common sense!

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/370077/microbiologist-slams-irresponsible-plastic-ban-claims-cited-by-seymour

westerly

minimoke
03-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Wander down the beach and look at all the rubbish that has drifted across from all those rivers in the northern hemisphere eh. I suspect the irony of your post will escape you.

minimoke
04-11-2018, 07:02 AM
That justifies your feeling good about doing nothing ?.What a cop out.I'm greener than your average cabbage. But what I lack in virtue I make up for in realism

artemis
04-11-2018, 07:35 AM
If it finds its way into an increase in rent - well so be it. That's where it belongs; but I suspect the first thing we will see is many more landlords letting their own properties directly.....

I suspect we won't see many more landlords doing that. Most landlords - over 80% - have only one or two rentals and the rules are complex already with more complexity, more compliance, more costs and more big fines coming up. Small time owners already have enough trouble keeping up, and the consequences of ignorance can be serious. And expensive.

I expect most owners who engage a PM now will continue to do so, and self managing owners that run into tenant troubles will seriously consider switching as the cheaper option. And then the PM will recover the cost for them by regularly increasing rent. Something that small or accidental landlords don't always do.

Current line in the sand, info from MBIE, is that 53.6% of rentals are managed by PMs. So we shall see what happens.

fungus pudding
04-11-2018, 11:43 AM
I suspect we won't see many more landlords doing that. Most landlords - over 80% - have only one or two rentals and the rules are complex already with more complexity, more compliance, more costs and more big fines coming up. Small time owners already have enough trouble keeping up, and the consequences of ignorance can be serious. And expensive.

I expect most owners who engage a PM now will continue to do so, and self managing owners that run into tenant troubles will seriously consider switching as the cheaper option. And then the PM will recover the cost for them by regularly increasing rent. Something that small or accidental landlords don't always do.

Current line in the sand, info from MBIE, is that 53.6% of rentals are managed by PMs. So we shall see what happens.

It's the letting of properties that I suspect owners will do in larger numbers, but will still hand the management to an agency. Back in those ghastly days when I was a residential landlord (yuk) I always selected my own tenants, then handed the management to a prop. manager - after a couple of experiences with managers letting my properties - other than tenant selection they generally did a good job.

blackcap
04-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Food for thought re fossil fuel emissions and NZ's role therein:
https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/11/could-ardern-stop-and-think-just-once/

westerly
04-11-2018, 07:11 PM
I suspect the irony of your post will escape you.

Went past without me noticing. Explain?

westerly

fungus pudding
04-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Went past without me noticing. Explain?

westerly

Are you serious?

minimoke
04-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Are you serious?oh lordy. I really hope he isn't

westerly
05-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Are you serious?

Always
westerly

Joshuatree
05-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Its the same old sad sack selfish recurring theme. Why do anything ? NZ is too small to make a difference. No responsibility taken , no care given, meme,me me.Whats the use in taking a single step, let alone a first step.
Being a single use human has its pros and cons ehh lol.

minimoke
05-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Its the same old sad sack selfish recurring theme. Why do anything ? NZ is too small to make a difference. No responsibility taken , no care given, meme,me me.Whats the use in taking a single step, let alone a first step.
Being a single use human has its pros and cons ehh lol.
What have you done lately to stop all the rubbish that has drifted across from all those rivers in the northern hemisphere

So tell me. What difference will the banning of single use plastic bags make to anything?

(fun fact. NZ uses approx 750,000,000 single use plastic bags a year out of 5,000,000,000,000 used globally every year. That's NZ contributing 0.015% to single bag use. And we only make up 0.05% of the worlds population - looks like we are already doing our bit. Good on us!)

Joshuatree
07-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Yes i hope you've got the message by now. It reminds me of the saying my forbears use to say. "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" except in this case its leading by example, informing, making people aware and letting every single human know that their doing DOES make a difference, think global act local etc etc, win/win and a self empowering act.

Trumps rise ispartially due to people feeling disempowered imo btw.

Joshuatree
07-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Good job. Something does smell with this anti 1080 org.One does wonder is orgs like the NRA is funding/ advising them. A lot of these fanatics are hunters.

Man charged over threatening anti-1080 letters (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/375366/man-charged-over-threatening-anti-1080-letters)

minimoke
08-11-2018, 04:03 PM
While I eagerly await to see who will replace Lees Galloway once Jacinda boots him out, with Winston's blessing of course. That will be good for a few laughs.Decision might not be far away. He's admitted today he didnt even read the full report. Toughest decision in his life apparently. And he only read the bits he wanted. So much for throwing the poor officials under the bus - its all on ILG shoulders now. No wonder he likes to hide behind pillars - but he cant hide for ever

minimoke
08-11-2018, 04:18 PM

The musician, Dave Dobbyn, sang 'Welcome Home' to the families while neighbours and representatives from local and central government looked onAccording to this govt organaisation 4 completed properties (https://www.hud.govt.nz/residential-housing/housing-affordability/kiwibuild/follow-our-progress/) only 99,996 to go.

Another bad few days for Twyford - remember when Labour promised "To avoid buyers reaping windfall gains, a condition of sale will require them to hand back any capital gain if sold on within 5 years." Well, looks like the five years has been wound back to three years. And the capital gain exposure is now only 30%. Strange how the realities of life strike home after the elections. All those wooly thoughts going out the door now.

minimoke
08-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Adern has real problems. Two ministers gone. Lees-Galloway will be next. Twyford out of his dept. And then there is Megan Woods operating in some galaxy far far away from here.

While happy to bin all exploration of oil reserves she relying on storing energy. Doesn't know how. But trust her she knows what she is doing. So what are her plans. Our future needs just requires 4 and a bit wind farms built a year. Well they can do four affordable homes so obviously four wind farms will be achievable.

But just how much energy is she going to store. 6 terawatt hours. That's not much if you say it fast. Its kind of like a MegaWatt which is not too far off a Gigawatt. Easy peasy.

So lets look at Australia who have the worlds largest storage facility. It can do a whole 129MWh. (https://www.energy-storage.news/news/tesla-makes-good-on-100-day-battery-promise-sells-boring-hats)

Now lets get your calculators out. Trust her. Megan is relying on 6,000,000 MWh of storage. So that is 46,500 similar facilities built in NZ.

But Megan is confident. She was at the opening of a 2MWh research site (https://www.energy-storage.news/news/energy-minister-welcomes-new-zealands-first-grid-scale-battery-storage-faci). The only challenge is that it needs to be scaled 3,000,000 times.

Its scary times indeed.

BlackPeter
08-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Adern has real problems. Two ministers gone. Lees-Galloway will be next. Twyford out of his dept. And then there is Megan Woods operating in some galaxy far far away from here.

While happy to bin all exploration of oil reserves she relying on storing energy. Doesn't know how. But trust her she knows what she is doing. So what are her plans. Our future needs just requires 4 and a bit wind farms built a year. Well they can do four affordable homes so obviously four wind farms will be achievable.

But just how much energy is she going to store. 6 terawatt hours. That's not much if you say it fast. Its kind of like a MegaWatt which is not too far off a Gigawatt. Easy peasy.

So lets look at Australia who have the worlds largest storage facility. It can do a whole 129MWh. (https://www.energy-storage.news/news/tesla-makes-good-on-100-day-battery-promise-sells-boring-hats)

Now lets get your calculators out. Trust her. Megan is relying on 6,000,000 MWh of storage. So that is 46,500 similar facilities built in NZ.

But Megan is confident. She was at the opening of a 2MWh research site (https://www.energy-storage.news/news/energy-minister-welcomes-new-zealands-first-grid-scale-battery-storage-faci). The only challenge is that it needs to be scaled 3,000,000 times.

Its scary times indeed.

If that's the plan ... you notice that the Tesla battery farm has a diesel backup generator which basically is just a small oil burning power station (but a BIG diesel ...). Looking forward to get 46.500 of these into New Zelaand - this will make our air clean and green - cough, cough, cough ...

fungus pudding
08-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Its scary times indeed.

Surely you're not suggesting incompetence in Labour's ranks !! What a pity el Zorro seems to be missing in action - he'd sort you out.

minimoke
08-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Surely you're not suggesting incompetence in Labour's ranks !! .I'm thinking the bar is now looking so low, that comment would be insulting to incompetent people.

Joshuatree
08-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Some on hear are so scared of the future,and totally blind to the fact ,that we must adapt and change with the times,adapt or perish,embrace the new,or invent new solutions,we cant just keep moving to the next" valley" and stuff that up .

BlackPeter
08-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Some on hear are so scared of the future,and totally blind to the fact ,that we must adapt and change with the times,adapt or perish,embrace the new,or invent new solutions,we cant just keep moving to the next" valley" and stuff that up .

Nobody here is scared of the future per se, JT. It is just - we are afraid of the future our current bunch of leaders might get us into.

Take an example - if you are sitting in a bus, you notice the driver has no clue what she is doing and you can't get off - you probably would be afraid, wouldn't you?

But than, the sweet thought of safely reaching your desired destination would be the least of your worries - wouldn't it? You might worry much more about the bus going over a cliff or turning into the oncoming traffic.

Good thing is - bus drivers need to be qualified. Bad thing is - politicians don't.

Joshuatree
08-11-2018, 11:10 PM
I see one leader adapting and leading by example.
The other leader? Dead man driving off a cliff.

08-11-2018, 11:18 PM
I see one leader adapting and leading by example.
The other leader? Dead man driving off a cliff.

I didn't think James Shaw had a car.

Joshuatree
08-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Hee. Consensus is the coalition has worked well together, disappointed all the predictions about it falling apart and James Shaw has made a great impression all-round.

minimoke
09-11-2018, 07:07 AM
Some on hear are so scared of the future,and totally blind to the fact ,
I agree, We've heard so much from the chicken little sky is falling climate change alarmists you can just see the fear coming from all their pores.

that we must adapt and change with the times,
Thats exactly what I have been saying. I'm pleased you have been paying attention. We will adapt and so will the our grandchildren who will know no different.

adapt or perish,
Perish? not much evidence of that happening any time soon. Theres only so much you can do to survive a meteor strike or zombie apocalypse.

embrace the new,or invent new solutions,we cant just keep moving to the next" valley" and stuff that up .Some of us thrill at new inventions and embrace thenew. Its kinda nice to know, though that the new is tried, tested and true.

What isn't such a good idea is turning off the current energy supplies with no idea of how to replace it. And those charged with the future obviously have no clue on what it is they are doing - now that is something to be scared of.

I worry for our environment - I dont want to see it covered in windfarms - one of the biggest blights on our natural landscapes in modern times. Nor do I particularly want the worlds rare earth metals exploited to extinction just to make batteries. And I worry for our grandchildren living in an energy poor society, where their forebears stopped the use of abundant resources while at the same time failing to come up with alternative means of generation. For example electric trains and electric cars are going to suck the life blood out of our electricity generation and not a word on suitable replacements

iceman
09-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Will Cindy continue to defend the indefensible Immigration Minister who has admitted he did not read the file and took him less than one hour to decide on the "most difficult decision" he's ever made ?
She told us to read between the line but it now appears the Minister did not read what was on the lines.

Then she, Winnie and other Ministers have blatantly lied and tried to blame National for letting him in, when the facts are he got a visitors visa in 2003 and residency mid 2008, under Labour/NZF Government.
Ian Lees Galloway is a dead man walking and the longer this drags out, the weaker Cindy looks as she once again does not act decisively when Minsters stuff up.

winner69
09-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Good to see Jacinda’s special team is on to it —

It will focus on building New Zealanders' skills, accelerating regions, attracting high-quality investment and "unleashing" small businesses.

A good start from these business guru’s .....can they turn buzzwords that make Jacinda excited into reality

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/108449597/business-council-priorities-skills-regions-investment

minimoke
09-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Will Cindy continue to defend the indefensible Immigration Minister who has admitted he did not read the file and took him less than one hour to decide on the "most difficult decision" he's ever made ?
Cindy is the one that needs to look very closely at herself (ILG obviously has his head so far up his own arze he cant see just what he has done is wrong) and consider if she is actually right for the job. She is the one who says this will be the most open and transparent government. But she has allowed this case to be hidden. She has hidden the detail, she has hidden the decision making and she is hiding another incompetent person. It is outrageous that she is allowed to flippantly say "read between the lines". We know we cant trust politicians and here is a perfect example of why you cant - she is complicit in this whole appalling saga. And that the two of them tried to throw the public servants under the bus to cover up their incompetence means the whole NZ public service can have no faith in serving the government in an impartial way.

She should have booted ILG over a week ago. That she hasnt the gumption to do so doesn't make her for to fill the role of PM. She should be gone by lunchtime as well.

BlackPeter
09-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Good to see Jacinda’s special team is on to it —

It will focus on building New Zealanders' skills, accelerating regions, attracting high-quality investment and "unleashing" small businesses.

A good start from these business guru’s .....can they turn buzzwords that make Jacinda excited into reality

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/108449597/business-council-priorities-skills-regions-investment

Not hard to agree with the diagnosis "New Zealand has productivity disease". While neither rocket science nor new, it is good to see this spelled out by somebody who potentially could impact on government policies.

Not sure, though it can be cured by government policies - it well might be as difficult to cure like the quarter of an acre disease, the 6 foot high board fence disease or the urge to fix everything with No 8 wire ...

Anyway - if they manage to address the productivity issue, than they really could make a difference.

Bjauck
09-11-2018, 08:54 AM
I'm not going to argue it seems liek a good idea but I look at teh numbers on that first website and cringe. eg
Example of 3-Bedroom House at Tapuwae Way, Mangere Bridge
Asking Price $760,000

First Home Buyer’s Deposit: $38,000
Co-Ownership Investment: $190,000
First Home Buyer’s Mortgage: $532,000

Really - is home ownership a dream we should be spruiking if a person is up for a $532,000 mortgage for a 75% stake in a property. Seriously - I couldn't sleep at night with that kind of debt on that kind of equity. For a start its about $500 a week in interest payments. Then there is rates and insurance and maintenance on top...
Shared ownership - will taxpayer funds be used to further inflate the property market? We should concentrate on a greater supply of good quality housing. We do not need the further leveraging of buyers into an expensive property market via enormous mortgages by risking taxpayer public funds at the same time!

Boost the security of tenure for good famillies in rental accommodation so that parents do not think that that home ownership is the only way to provide secure housing for their families.

winner69
09-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Not hard to agree with the diagnosis "New Zealand has productivity disease". While neither rocket science nor new, it is good to see this spelled out by somebody who potentially could impact on government policies.

Not sure, though it can be cured by government policies - it well might be as difficult to cure like the quarter of an acre disease, the 6 foot high board fence disease or the urge to fix everything with No 8 wire ...

Anyway - if they manage to address the productivity issue, than they really could make a difference.

This productivity disease has been with us for decades

The ones who just identified it (or parroted past comments) are part of the cause .....and if they knew it they haven’t made much progress in curing it have they?

minimoke
09-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Anyway - if they manage to address the productivity issue, than they really could make a difference.There is no chance of that happening. In all the talk of increasing Minimum wage and " the Living wage" not once have I heard there is an expectation that productivity would be expected to lift in order to get the increase. This government is hell bent on lifting wage levels on existing productivity levels.

winner69
09-11-2018, 09:05 AM
There is no chance of that happening. In all the talk of increasing Minimum wage and " the Living wage" not once have I heard there is an expectation that productivity would be expected to lift in order to get the increase. This government is hell bent on lifting wage levels on existing productivity levels.

That’ll help ‘unleashing small businesses’ eh

fungus pudding
09-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Shared ownership - will taxpayer funds be used to further inflate the property market? We should concentrate on a greater supply of good quality housing. We do not need the further leveraging of buyers into an expensive property market via enormous mortgages by risking taxpayer public funds at the same time!

Boost the security of tenure for good famillies in rental accommodation so that parents do not think that that home ownership is the only way to provide secure housing for their families.

Couldn't agree more with your first paragraph. Second paragraph - not so simple.

iceman
09-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Apparently they now call the Immigration Minister Ian Lees Goaway in Wellington :-)

fungus pudding
09-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Apparently they now call the Immigration Minister Ian Lees Goaway in Wellington :-)

How about Ian-Please Goaway.

Joshuatree
09-11-2018, 12:03 PM
She told us to read between the line but it now appears the Minister did not read what was on the lines.

Then she, Winnie and other Ministers have blatantly lied and tried to blame National for letting him in, when the facts are he got a visitors visa in 2003 and residency mid 2008, under Labour/NZF Government.
Ian Lees Galloway is a dead man walking and the longer this drags out, the weaker Cindy looks as she once again does not act decisively when Minsters stuff up.

Thanks for your opinion, but it sounds like you believe all the spin being fed out by national who admittedly are very good at dirty politics(lots of practice hey). Very trump like in fact. For example spending about an hour on the file sounds like more than enough, with hundreds of files crossing his desk regularly, its rubbish to say not enough time spent. And a summary of the 150 ? page plus should be accurate and cover everything he needs to make the right decision.

BlackPeter
09-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your opinion, but it sounds like you believe all the spin being fed out by national who admittedly are very good at dirty politics(lots of practice hey). Very trump like in fact. For example spending about an hour on the file sounds like more than enough, with hundreds of files crossing his desk regularly, its rubbish to say not enough time spent. And a summary of the 150 ? page plus should be accurate and cover everything he needs to make the right decision.

You are absolutely right. Looking for one hour at the file of a convicted drug dealer should be more than enough time to decide whether he should be granted permant residency. Just highlights the incompetence of this government. If one hour is not enough for such a trivial decision, how could we expect them to run the country?

Thanks for clarifying this for us.

iceman
09-11-2018, 12:33 PM
You are absolutely right. Looking for one hour at the file of a convicted drug dealer should be more than enough time to decide whether he should be granted permant residency. Just highlights the incompetence of this government. If one hour is not enough for such a trivial decision, how could we expect them to run the country?

Thanks for clarifying this for us.

Absolutely agree. 1 hour should have been enough to reach the simple and obvious decision. But he managed to make a clearly appalling and wrong decision. High level of incompetence and this guy can not stay.

minimoke
09-11-2018, 12:35 PM
For example spending about an hour on the file sounds like more than enough, with hundreds of files crossing his desk regularly, its rubbish to say not enough time spent. There is some validity behind your statement - but its wrong in the context of this case. ILG is on record as saying: "This was right up there … probably one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make so far". So it is quite reasonable to expect that you are going to spend quite some time on one of your toughest ever decisions. (Edit to add as mentioned above - if he found this decision tough he is patently unqualified for the job)

And if its one of your most difficult decisions ever made a competent person would ask the boss for some guidance. That he didn't shows his incompetence. If he did it makes a liar out of Adern who once again conveniently "knows nothing" until the media reported it. How is it she is not involved in the most difficult decisions her Ministers are making?

And a summary of the 150 ? page plus should be accurate and cover everything he needs to make the right decision.Makes no difference if the report is one page or 1,500 pages. If ILG is only going to "read various aspects of the full file" then he is only going to read the aspects he wants to read.

Patently he read the bit about the guy holding a visa in a false name. Obviously he knew he was in prison. There's no doubt he read the bit about him being a drug importer. All that makes him a suitable person to have a resident visa. Just how low a threshold does a person need to have to be declined? Pretty bloody low by the looks of it.

ILG's decision making ability (or lack of) throws into doubt every other decision he has made. Time for a review to see what other riff raff he has let into the country and what decent people he has refused.

Joshuatree
09-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Its his officials/staff who have stuffed up imo, who are these faceless people who have a bit of a reputation of much conservatism and bottom minding and not being very adventurous or assertive. Jeez i mean the next improve your performance review should be , always check with GOOGLE and take accountability for what you produce!

minimoke
09-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Its his officials/staff who have stuffed up imo, who are these faceless people who have a bit of a reputation of much conservatism and bottom minding and not being very adventurous or assertive. Jeez i mean the next improve your performance review should be , always check with GOOGLE and take accountability for what you produce!Check whose name is at the top of the letter and whose signature at the bottom. http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/1810/Letter_to_Karel_Sroubek.pdf

Joshuatree
09-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Exactly , the faceless ,possibly,incompetent staff who assembled the info, their names should be at the bottom taking ownership of what they've provided.

09-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Exactly , the faceless ,possibly,incompetent staff who assembled the info, their names should be at the bottom taking ownership of what they've provided.

Do you honestly believe they omitted all the known facts from what they provided?

minimoke
09-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Exactly , the faceless ,possibly,incompetent staff who assembled the info, their names should be at the bottom taking ownership of what they've provided.So these incompetent people obviously gave ILG information on the fact the guy had a false ID, was a convict, was in prison, was a drug smuggler and you expect them to give him more information (which may have been in the folder if ILG choose to read the whole thing) . What other possible information could ILG have needed to make a better decision?

Joshuatree
09-11-2018, 03:30 PM
A better summary.

fungus pudding
09-11-2018, 03:37 PM

Don't be silly.
Even if he couldn't be bothered reading the whole report, he had sufficient facts to chuck him out of the country - good and proper.
As posted elsewhere.
https://www.scribd.com/document/391829444/Letter-to-Karel-Sroubek-from-Iain-Lees-Galloway

minimoke
09-11-2018, 03:45 PM
A better summary.
I thought my summary at #1983 was pretty good ( I didn't even get paid to do it). How could that be improved?

fungus pudding
09-11-2018, 03:51 PM
I thought my summary at #1983 was pretty good ( I didn't even get paid to do it). How could that be improved?

Fixing spelling mistake? :D

minimoke
09-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Fixing spelling mistake? :DUnfortunately my DNAAF4 gene has mutated to such a point I am beyonf help.

Joshuatree
09-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Me tooh, its a vary summery afternune wif hi humanidty, thanc dog its fryday. neely thyme for a fzaveeritt bevvy. Chairz and remember nose, moore single use humyns.:D

Bjauck
12-11-2018, 11:08 AM
This productivity disease has been with us for decades

The ones who just identified it (or parroted past comments) are part of the cause .....and if they knew it they haven’t made much progress in curing it have they?

NZ’s chronic productivity stagnation issue - isn’t it in part caused by the fact that Kiwis have found better after tax returns by investing in expensive residential land rather than productive business.

Perhaps if we encouraged and increased the proportion of capital invested in industry and business then production per employee may increase?

BlackPeter
12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
NZ’s chronic productivity stagnation issue - isn’t it in part caused by the fact that Kiwis have found better after tax returns by investing in expensive residential land rather than productive business.

Perhaps if we encouraged and increased the proportion of capital invested in industry and business then production per employee may increase?

You mean a capital gains tax (on everything else than the family home) might be counter productive? I agree!

westerly
12-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Wikipedia lists around 14 measurements of GDP by country. How do you measure the productivity of a policeman. Number of arrests? A lawyer, number of court cases won ? A teacher, class size? (teachers striking wanting reduced class sizes). A decrease in productivity?
Seems to me as with all statistics you can prove whatever you want to. :)

westerly

Bjauck
12-11-2018, 08:17 PM
In the absence of other reforms, I agree that a CGT that exluded the family home could be counter-productive.

In the absence of a comprehensive CGT, introducing a "fair income" method for calculating returns on investor residential land (along the lines of the FDR) could help even the burden of taxation with investment in productive companies and businesses.

minimoke
12-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Wikipedia lists around 14 measurements of GDP by country. How do you measure the productivity of a policeman. Number of arrests? A lawyer, number of court cases won ? A teacher, class size? (teachers striking wanting reduced class sizes). A decrease in productivity?
Seems to me as with all statistics you can prove whatever you want to. :)

westerlyMeasuring productivity is not an easy exercise. But tat shouldn't put off an attempt to do so. It can be done - it just needs agreement. So for teachers, for example, it might be the number of pupils who show they can apply learning at different stages. For example can a year one kid pick up five oranges - though obvious you need a base line of anility. No good if kid can already count to five and knows teh difference between and apple and an orange.

You wont have one measure. You might have up to five - they will be important things. Maybe - delivery of course on time, course delivered according to curriculum, , no of students engaged in learning etc

artemis
13-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Teachers are saying they have a huge amount of paperwork to do these days. One of the reasons they should be paid more.

Some, even most, of that paperwork must relate to measurement of student achievement. There's a potential set of teacher productivity measures right there.

minimoke
13-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Teachers are saying they have a huge amount of paperwork to do these days. One of the reasons they should be paid more.

Some, even most, of that paperwork must relate to measurement of student achievement. There's a potential set of teacher productivity measures right there.
Thats a nonsense. Marking papers should be relatively easy. A darn sight easier than the actual teaching / curriculum management. They should get paid less if they are marking papers. ("marking" sounds like an input measurement - productivity should be based on output)

(what should really happen is letting teachers teach, and then pass marking to someone else.)

Bjauck
13-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Thats a nonsense. Marking papers should be relatively easy. A darn sight easier than the actual teaching / curriculum management. They should get paid less if they are marking papers. ("marking" sounds like an input measurement - productivity should be based on output)

(what should really happen is letting teachers teach, and then pass marking to someone else.)

I disagree.

If all papers were based on 100% multiple choice questions, then marking would be easy. However in other cases maintaining consistency of marking standards across all markers is difficult and involves substantial training. That is in addition to the markers having expertise in the subject matter.

Marking is productive as it assesses expertise in the field concerned. Deficient marking could enable qualifications to be bestowed on those with deficient knowledge/expertise. That could have a negative effect on productivity.

minimoke
13-11-2018, 12:24 PM
I disagree.

If all papers were based on 100% multiple choice questions, then marking would be easy. However in other cases maintaining consistency of marking standards across all markers is difficult and involves substantial training. That is in addition to the markers having expertise in the subject matter.

Marking is productive as it assesses expertise in the field concerned. Deficient marking could enable qualifications to be bestowed on those with deficient knowledge/expertise. That could have a negative effect on productivity.The productive part is having an "expert" student coming out of the system. The exam marker essentially needs one skill - subject matter expertise. Where as the Teacher needs lots of skills like classroom / study preparation, course delivery and student management. Got to be worth more than a Marker - who only needs expertise in the questions being asked, Not even the whole course.

artemis
13-11-2018, 04:07 PM
The productive part is having an "expert" student coming out of the system. The exam marker essentially needs one skill - subject matter expertise. Where as the Teacher needs lots of skills like classroom / study preparation, course delivery and student management. Got to be worth more than a Marker - who only needs expertise in the questions being asked, Not even the whole course.

Having markers sounds like a good idea. Has anyone ever suggested it? I'm not a teacher but could quickly pick up a preset marking regime in areas I am proficient in. Most papers would be straightforward to mark, the few that are tricky could go back to the teacher.

Sounds like a grand job for retired teachers, parents with children at home, or other professionals. Papers couriered in and out, work from home at their own pace, easier than being a relief teacher.

minimoke
13-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Having markers sounds like a good idea. Has anyone ever suggested it? I'm not a teacher but could quickly pick up a preset marking regime in areas I am proficient in. Seems like a basic idea to me. Even I could mark papers and free up primary school teachers from a load of assessments. Figure out a decent hourly rate and pay on a piece basis- that would be productive.