PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Stock Picking Contest

Snow Leopard
15-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Just to say that though I took over this years contest, I have no intention of being involved in the organisation of, administration of, or execution of a contest for 2018.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Oliver Mander
15-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Was it a bit tough Mr. Tiger?

Xerof
15-11-2017, 09:29 PM
who is 'they'?

Joshuatree
15-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Thanks PTiger for taking this on when ? went M I A. Maybe we could keep track of our own entries next year.

Snow Leopard
15-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Was it a bit tough Mr. Tiger?

For the Puddy Tat:

No.

who is 'they'?

For the local branch of the grammar police:

Obviously I meant they're or maybe their or could be there?

Thanks PTiger for taking this on when ? went M I A. Maybe we could keep track of our own entries next year.

For the Yucca brevifolia:

The ? is klid.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

JeremyALD
16-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Maybe we could do a monthly update or something, rather than live daily updates.

Beagle
16-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Very kind of the Puddy Tat to take over this years one considering he has expended considerable efforts with wearing his paw pads out running previous ones.
The resident stripy one deserves a nice break basking in the sun.
Maybe those interested in participating in 2018 could DIY and simply post their selections and update their own performance quarterly ?

Oliver Mander
16-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Maybe we could do a monthly update or something, rather than live daily updates.

I'm quite happy to help co-ordinate if need be...perhaps with the bigger feline's (ie, tiger's) support. Question for PT though - what tool do you use to store the picks, and update prices/dividends?
If its a live feed (or even semi-automated) and updated monthly, feel sure I could keep up with this...

Snow Leopard
17-11-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm quite happy to help co-ordinate if need be...perhaps with the bigger feline's (ie, tiger's) support. Question for PT though - what tool do you use to store the picks, and update prices/dividends?
If its a live feed (or even semi-automated) and updated monthly, feel sure I could keep up with this...

Between mid December and the end of next August I will be permanently on the road and not offering support.

I download & parse end of day & dividend data from my data suppliers using php running in cron jobs on the papertiger.asia web-server and these store the results in a MySQL database, which also contains tables of entrants and their choices.
A further php cron job uses all this data to create the results tables which are then served as a web-page on demand by yet another php script.

When it works as it should, it is great and no hassle;
When it goes wrong, it really goes wrong!

https://d1ejxu6vysztl5.cloudfront.net/comics/garfield/2017/2017-11-11.gif
https://garfield.com/comic/2017/11/11

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Oliver Mander
22-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Ok PT, all good.
Will do a quick bit of research around how your process works, and see if I can make it nice n easy for me to run.
Will see if I can stand something up by the end of 1st week December (or at least let you know if I can't)

Leftfield
22-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Just wanted to say a BIG thank you and appreciation to Paper Tiger for rescuing this competition. Also a big thanks to Kild for his/her excellent work.

I hope a way can be found for this competition to continue and can't help thinking an approach NZX or NZSA for sponsorship or assistance to run the comp could be worthwhile. Surely it has the potential to be a good promotional tool for them?

If I had the skills I would be in, but as I don't I hope Sylvester Cat's kind offer comes good.

Oliver Mander
23-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Hi all...I think I can make this work. I've built something that scrapes Yahoo Finance, so we should be able to get daily updates.
Will try to render it via a protected Excel sheet or webpage somehow, so you can query your own results, without being able to delete/modify data!

But just want to get some views on what the rules should be, so we're all on the same page.
1) Rights Issues - what happens here? Do we account for the investment in rights (ie, reduction of capital), but then account for gains afterwards?
2) Dividends - all based off ex date?
3) If a stock is not traded on a particular day, do we take the last traded price as the price?
4) Your picks - shall we say, 5 stocks with a weighting of your choosing? or do we go more than that?
5) Do we include or exclude ETF's?

Bound to be other issues, lets throw them out there and see what the consensus is.
Thoughts very welcome.

causecelebre
23-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Hi Sylvestor

Just thought i'd add an FYI. Sharesight has a number of API's that allow access to portfolio information. A portfolio could be set up that includes every stock. Far cheaper than NZX feeds. The data returned is arguably richer and more robust than a page scrape. However, a portfolio of that size not free of course - $25 / month :) - for sure, a page scrape is probably sufficient for the needs of this comp.

Disc: no affiliation to Sharesight, just sharing some info

stoploss
23-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Hi Sylvestor

Just thought i'd add an FYI. Sharesight has a number of API's that allow access to portfolio information. A portfolio could be set up that includes every stock. Far cheaper than NZX feeds. The data returned is arguably richer and more robust than a page scrape. However, a portfolio of that size not free of course - $25 / month :) - for sure, a page scrape is probably sufficient for the needs of this comp.

Disc: no affiliation to Sharesight, just sharing some info

Maybe Sharesight would be interested in sponsoring the comp and could come up with something to facilitate this ??? ...They must have a fair few customers on here ....

Sharesight
23-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Hi, Sharesight here - We'll be running our own stock picking comp again in 2018 - (as we did in 2017 https://www.sharesight.com/blog/2017-stock-picking-competition/ ) - we'll announce our own competition for next year in the coming weeks.

But we can certainly look at helping you out with your own comp here - Send our team an email at marketing@sharesight.com with what you'd like to do, and we'll see what we can do.

Oliver Mander
23-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Hi, Sharesight here - We'll be running our own stock picking comp again in 2018 - (as we did in 2017 https://www.sharesight.com/blog/2017-stock-picking-competition/ ) - we'll announce our own competition for next year in the coming weeks.

But we can certainly look at helping you out with your own comp here - Send our team an email at marketing@sharesight.com with what you'd like to do, and we'll see what we can do.

Will do. Thanks :-)

Oliver Mander
28-11-2017, 11:15 PM
Hi all...

Right! Either way, there will be a picks competition for 2018! I have to start this an old-fashioned way given time constraints, but should be able to sweep it up as we go thru the year.

Email your picks to...

sylvestercat2018@gmail.com
OR
private message me on sharetrader

Please make sure you include your sharetrader username. Happy to include people NOT on sharetrader, but will need an email address. i will obviously not share email addresses.

1) Pick FIVE NZX-listed equity instruments (incl. Smartshares and foreign companies listed in NZ)
2) Feel free to choose your weighting of those 5 shares
3) Picks in by 11pm December 29th 2017 (New Zealand time)

Returns calculations
1) Each will start with a notional portfolio of $10,000
2) Returns will be calculate from the last closing price of 2017 (which i think is the 29th) to the last closing price of 2018.
3) Its a 'total return' comp, so Dividends will be included - but NOT benefits from imputation credits or other tax-specific benefits.
4) Rights issues, and the money to take them up WILL be included - but will be treated as an increased investment pro-rata according to the amount of the year left.
5) Winner is the person who has the largest %age increase.

Before we go snap on those rules...is there any discussion / questions / changes people want to make...???

Leftfield
03-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Great news that you are willing (and able) to pick up this competition for 2018. Nice to see Sharesite also willing to assist.

My only comment is that as I understand it, in the past for reasons of simplicity, there has been equal weighting to all 5 picks.

I suggest for simplicity (AND your ease of management) that Equal weighting to all 5 picks apply for 2018.

I’m sure other posters will correct me if I’m wrong..... this just MHO.

Once again sincere thanks for the work ahead of you. And thanks to Paper Tiger and others for their assistance in the past.

Oliver Mander
03-12-2017, 12:49 PM
What do others think? Quite happy to have different weightings, not too hard to manage, but open to consensus.

Will probably run it thru my own tool, as have got a good way if doing it that will let you do your own reporting as well. Will get a website link up here shortly, which will also let you submit that way.

Oliver Mander
03-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Have to say tho - Sharesight did come back to me with an option to support this years picks comp, and full credit to them - its a great website, with some excellent functionality.

Beagle
03-12-2017, 03:32 PM
What do others think? Quite happy to have different weightings, not too hard to manage, but open to consensus.

Will probably run it thru my own tool, as have got a good way if doing it that will let you do your own reporting as well. Will get a website link up here shortly, which will also let you submit that way.

Thanks mate, very good of you to take this over. I would strongly recommend sticking with the previous format of five equal weightings for the sake of simplicity.

Baa_Baa
03-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Thanks mate, very good of you to take this over. I would strongly recommend sticking with the previous format of five equal weightings for the sake of simplicity.

Agree, and all the rules are posted at the beginning of the 2017 comp thread, no need to revisit them unless some good ideas not thought of before.

Oliver Mander
03-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Ok, will find them in that thread and re-post accordingly.

Leftfield
03-12-2017, 09:13 PM
SC Here's the 2017 rules FYI....

The rules,

Entries are made and are able to be subsequently modified by using the entry form (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/stocktastic.co.nz/entry-form) on this site, and/or by posting in this thread.
Entries will close on Monday, 9th January 2016 at 9:00am.
Only one entry in each yearly competition is permitted per person.
You may not use the alias that belongs to someone else on sharetrader.co.nz, or misrepresent another person.
Five selections must be made, the same stock cannot be selected twice. The entry form will enforce this.
There is a predefined list of stocks to select from, which will be those that are listed on the NZSX or NZAX and with a market capitalisation of at least $10 million as at 1st December 2016.
Everyone has the same entry price, that will be the closing price of the stock on the last day of trading before the competiton begins- this will be the close price on Friday 6th January 2017.
Competition closes with last traded prices on the last trading day in the 2016 calendar year.
Dividends will be incorporated, rights issues will not. Any other random distributions will be incorporated, at the discretion of the contest administrator.
If a selection delists or otherwise somehow disolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this.

Oliver Mander
03-12-2017, 10:01 PM
SC Here's the 2017 rules FYI....

The rules,

Entries are made and are able to be subsequently modified by using the entry form (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/stocktastic.co.nz/entry-form) on this site, and/or by posting in this thread.
Entries will close on Monday, 9th January 2016 at 9:00am.
Only one entry in each yearly competition is permitted per person.
You may not use the alias that belongs to someone else on sharetrader.co.nz, or misrepresent another person.
Five selections must be made, the same stock cannot be selected twice. The entry form will enforce this.
There is a predefined list of stocks to select from, which will be those that are listed on the NZSX or NZAX and with a market capitalisation of at least $10 million as at 1st December 2016.
Everyone has the same entry price, that will be the closing price of the stock on the last day of trading before the competiton begins- this will be the close price on Friday 6th January 2017.
Competition closes with last traded prices on the last trading day in the 2016 calendar year.
Dividends will be incorporated, rights issues will not. Any other random distributions will be incorporated, at the discretion of the contest administrator.
If a selection delists or otherwise somehow disolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this.

Okay - but there will be different link to a different form, obviously!! - so please don't use the one posted by leftfield above :).

So...try this.

1) Pick FIVE different NZX-listed equity instruments (incl. Smartshares and foreign companies listed in NZ). Companies/Funds with a market cap of less than $10m may not be selected.
2) Each pick has an equal weighting.
4) You may not use the alias that belongs to someone else on sharetrader.co.nz, or misrepresent another person.

Returns calculations
2) Returns will be calculate from the last closing price of 2017 (which i think is Dec 29th 2017) to the last closing price of 2018.
3) Its a 'total return' comp, so Dividends will be included - but NOT benefits from imputation credits or other tax-specific benefits.
4) Rights issues are included according to the 'Snoopy Formula'. This does not increase capital, but recognises a capital gain/loss on the rights for the year.
5) If a selection delists or otherwise somehow dissolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this.
6) Winner is the person who has the largest %age increase.

There are THREE ways to enter:
1) via this survey form: https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AuUMI8ycnlsfhcJI7b9trJ43BUzuVg
2) email to sylvestercat2018@gmail.com
3) private message on sharetrader

I won't publish what people are picking before Dec 29th.
Hope this is all good!!

Vaygor1
05-12-2017, 05:27 AM
.... I also don't see a need for the market cap rule...it might be a liquidity thing, but the opening/closing price is simply the last traded price. Not sure why companies < $10m were not included...?......

The reason of the min $10mill cap is one of volatility. Penny stocks and Penny Dreadful stocks can swing wildly (and very frequently) based on small changes in business dynamics and market sentiment. It can easily dwarf the percentage gains made (and lost) by more 'regular' stocks.

I encourage you to keep the stock-mkt-cap-must-be-over-$10mill-at-the-start-date rule, or risk a fair amount of complaining later on in the piece. I understand the rule was bought in for good reason many years ago.

By way of example, the majority of the nzx and asx top daily gainers and daily decliners (on the few occasions I have looked at these) are stocks that go up and down by a minuscule amount (mostly less than 1 cent if I recall correctly.. especially on the asx) on the day.

Vetting out the stocks under $10mill is not onerous (pretty much a one-off task) from an administrative viewpoint.

Oliver Mander
05-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Vaygor, that would put the following stocks as exclusions. Looking at their charts, they don't appear any more or less volatile than most others, with the possible exception of the meteoric rise of Chow Group (on thin trading). There are some real beacons of NZ corporate management on that list :t_up:.

I guess I'm of the view that it makes no difference - if someone is brave enough to pick them, good luck to them. High risk high return and all that. But I hadn't realised the competition had gone on for years - thought it was just a 2017 thing. I have no baggage around it, so quite happy to go with consensus. Can people reply to this post with their thoughts please?

Chow Group CGL.NZX 9.87M
GeoOP GEO.NZX 9.73M
CSM Ltd CSM.NZX 8.29M
Chatham Rock CRP.NZX 6.68M
AFC AFC.NZX 3.66M
NZFGROUP BGI.NZX 3.52M
VERITAS VIL.NZX 2.77M
TRSINVEST TRS.NZX 2.43M
AORERE AOR.NZX 1.48M
Snakk SNK.NZX 1.46M
Mykco MYK.NZX 1.18M
ENERGY MAD MAD.NZX 590K
WINDFLOW WTL.NZX 386K

thestg
05-12-2017, 09:29 AM
But I hadn't realised the competition had gone on for years - thought it was just a 2017 thing.

Links to previous results:
https://stocktastic.co.nz/rankings/2015
https://stocktastic.co.nz/rankings/2016

Vaygor1
05-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Links to previous results:
https://stocktastic.co.nz/rankings/2015
https://stocktastic.co.nz/rankings/2016

I've been a member since 2012 and as far as I recall the comp was running at least 1 year (if not 5 or more) before I joined.

In response SylvesterCat, I dont think it is the volatility over the long term or even the short term that is the issue. It is the extremely short term, whereby somebody who is in front on 1 day finds themselves in place 50 the next and vice versa a few days later. The winner can become even more of a random selection at the mercy of the cut-off date than is already the case.

Paper Tiger - can you shed any further light on this and recall why this rule was ever introduced?

Vaygor1
05-12-2017, 10:42 AM
just took a snapshot of this mornings NZX biggest %age gainers and decliners.....

6/10 of them up or down by 1 cent or less. The top 2 in each category being fractions of cent up or down.
It's like this virtually every time I've ever looked at this on the NZX and ASX.

I will completely respect whatever your decision may be SylvesterCat. Just trying to help.

05-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Thank you SylvesterCat for taking up the challenge of running this competition.

I do however believe that a rights issue needs to be taken into account somehow as the head share price is affected by such issue. Perhaps it could be covered by deducting the the cost of the right from the ex right price of the head share and calling it a cash dividend.

I would be interested on what others think.

Oliver Mander
05-12-2017, 01:06 PM
I do however believe that a rights issue needs to be taken into account somehow as the head share price is affected by such issue.
I would be interested on what others think.

In my original thinking, I'd thought about treating rights as an increased investment (pro-rata-ed appropriately for time remaining), but then obviously getting extra 'shares'.
Quite happy to do this.

Also happy either way on whether we exclude shares with market cap <$10m.

This cat doesn't need to think for himself in this case, quite happy to adopt the consensus view. In fact - someone tell me how to set up a poll on this forum, and I will do exactly that!

Oliver Mander
05-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Also - I am getting some picks come through with XRO in them.
Quite okay to accept these - but may not be a good option, as it will delist. Essentially, the "investment" will be sold at the time of delisting, and accrue no further growth.
So if you've picked XRO, feel free to submit again - or not, as the case may be...

Vaygor1
06-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Hi SylvesterCat
Tried to enter my picks via the survey form on the one-drive method at https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AuUMI8ycnlsfhcJI7b9trJ43BUzuVg

Can't find CDI on the pick lists. Can you please add it to the picks if its not too much trouble?

Vaygor1.

Baa_Baa
06-12-2017, 06:53 PM
PLX also missing from the list?

Oliver Mander
06-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Hi SylvesterCat
Tried to enter my picks via the survey form on the one-drive method at https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AuUMI8ycnlsfhcJI7b9trJ43BUzuVg

Can't find CDI on the pick lists. Can you please add it to the picks if its not too much trouble?

Vaygor1.

Have added PLX, CDI.
Sorry about that.

And have also added TLL.

Leftfield
09-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Have added PLX, CDI.
Sorry about that.

And have also added TLL.

RBC (Rubicon) also missing $95 mill mkt cap? (real left field pick!!!)

Ta

percy
09-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Would you please include IKE.
Market cap $23.5 mil.

Oliver Mander
10-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Would you please include IKE.
Market cap $23.5 mil.

Sorry all...both RBC and IKE included.

Note that these omissions are because I took my initial list from anz securities...and that is of course only a list of securities traded that day.
Does not affect the ability to automate the updates :-)!

Oliver Mander
10-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Just thought I'd give a "sample" as to how I'll report the results.
1) The first output will be a link to an excel sheet, that will look something like the picture below. It will let you "find yourself" and show you your overall ranking and performance. If you don't have excel, will put it in a pdf format as well.

2) I'll also hope to produce a link to a sheet (excel only at this stage), that will let you see the more detailed breakdown of your performance. Like this picture...

Hope this makes sense.

SCOTTY
13-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Hi SylvesterCat. Thanks very much for doing this.
Would you please add FFW. Market cap. 77.8m
Cheers

Oliver Mander
14-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Hi SylvesterCat. Thanks very much for doing this.
Would you please add FFW. Market cap. 77.8m
Cheers

Added FFW Scotty, again - my apologies.

SCOTTY
16-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Added FFW Scotty, again - my apologies.

Thanks SylvesterCat. Sorry to be a pest, but GFL is also missing in action ��

Cheers

Oliver Mander
17-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Definitely not a pest Scotty. I will sort first thing in the morning.

NOW ADDED!

klid
18-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Hi guys, sorry I've been very busy making things and going places and it suddenly occurred to me that the end of the year is approaching.

Should I update the site for 2018? If someone has already been collecting picks and this is desired I could enable them to assist me putting them into the system or they can give me the details.

Someone please let me know, I will check this later and if so should get some time to do some things :)

Oliver Mander
18-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Well onto it klid, if you read back over this thread, you'll see the instructions for how to submit.

I should add that I'm aware you ran the comp last year, and i simply stepped in to help when it was uncertain whether you were available to do it this year. I've now also built some models/inputs to support this, so not really keen to lose that work.

Oliver Mander
19-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Just a reminder - around 40 entries so far, there's loads more of you out there!!

1) Pick FIVE different NZX-listed equity instruments (incl. Smartshares and foreign companies listed in NZ). Companies/Funds with a market cap of less than $10m may not be selected.
4) You may not use the alias that belongs to someone else on sharetrader.co.nz, or misrepresent another person.

Returns calculations
2) Returns will be calculate from the last closing price of 2017 (which i think is Dec 29th 2017) to the last closing price of 2018.
4) Rights issues are included according to the 'Snoopy Formula'. This does not increase capital, but recognises a capital gain/loss on the rights for the year.
5) If a selection delists or otherwise somehow dissolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this.

Hope this is all good!!

huxley
19-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Just a reminder - around 40 entries so far, there's loads more of you out there!!

Returns calculations

Hope this is all good!!

Done! Cheers for running this :)

Well Endowed
20-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Hi could you please add NWF to the survey options (mcap ~40m) cheers! :)

Oliver Mander
20-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Hi could you please add NWF to the survey options (mcap ~40m) cheers! :)
Just adding now!

Oliver Mander
20-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Hi all...well, my cat sized brain has manage to produce to produce the following website to display the output from our efforts.
This is full of "test picks" at the moment, although the returns data is accurate.

Take a look, and see what you think.

The sample weblink displays returns from Oct 2nd to Dec 17th. There are TWO pages to look at...you'll get the idea.
https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home

During the comp, I will update results at least weekly. While I've automated it the best I can, there's still small amount of manual effort required.

Leftfield
21-12-2017, 06:49 AM
Looks v impressive SCat! :t_up: Well done.

21-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Glad to see that you are OK klid. A lot of members go MIA from these boards.

Jay
21-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Hi SC
I get this when trying from work - might be our settings not letting it thru - will try again from home
Seeing the "menu" etc but not the data/results part of the page(s)

There is a problem connecting securely to this website.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

beetills
21-12-2017, 08:21 PM
WDT not on list 38m cap

Oliver Mander
21-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Will add WDT first thing in morning.
NOW ADDED

Oliver Mander
22-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Hi SC
I get this when trying from work - might be our settings not letting it thru - will try again from home
Seeing the "menu" etc but not the data/results part of the page(s)

Did it work at home Jay?

Jay
22-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Yes it does SC
Good work.

Oliver Mander
24-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Merry Christmas all...
62 entries so far...can see the participant list here: https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/participants

Don't forget to get them in!! The form seems to have worked ok, but if you have issues simply email sylvestercat2018@gmail.com.

Oliver Mander
25-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Note that I have now included RAK and BLT on the form!

JayRiggs
25-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Hey can VGL please be added to the list?

Oliver Mander
26-12-2017, 11:41 AM
VGL now added!!

Oliver Mander
28-12-2017, 09:14 AM
Hi all - remember, a couple of days to go to enter!
We have 91 entries at the moment, so hoping for a rush in the last couple of days...

see weed
28-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Hi all - remember, a couple of days to go to enter!
We have 91 entries at the moment, so hoping for a rush in the last couple of days...
Thanks S..Cat for this comp. Have just entered my picks for 2018, did you receive them? I will be happy to make between 10% and 20% on these picks, but don't think I will get anywhere near the gains on the last years picks. Thanks again and cheers for the New Years:cool:.

Oliver Mander
28-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Definitely got them sea weed!!

Beagle
28-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Have we got the broker picks for 2018 sorted ?

28-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Does XRO still qualify as a NZX pick?

Oliver Mander
28-12-2017, 07:41 PM
1) XRO - you can pick itt, but once it delists in January there's no further growth (ie, you'll be "selling" the shares for cash on that day). So not really in your interests to pick.
2) Broker picks...no - how did klid do this in previous years - a simple phone call :-)?
Up to 100 entries now...

winner69
28-12-2017, 07:57 PM
1) XRO - you can pick itt, but once it delists in January there's no further growth (ie, you'll be "selling" the shares for cash on that day). So not really in your interests to pick.
2) Broker picks...no - how did klid do this in previous years - a simple phone call :-)?
Up to 100 entries now...

Brokers picks are usually touted in a story in the NZ Herald

Hasn’t appeared yet ...maybe the brokers are too embarrassed to do it this year

28-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Up to 100 entries now...

No problem. It was just that I saw it on your list.

Oliver Mander
28-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Yes, i probably shouldn't have put it in. Trap for ypung kittens. I have been contacting the few people who picked it...and most have got back to me.

Beagle
29-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Brokers picks are usually touted in a story in the NZ Herald

Hasn’t appeared yet ...maybe the brokers are too embarrassed to do it this year

Yes in previous years it has appeared by now. Lets all keep an eagle eye out for it in the next few editions.

Oliver Mander
29-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Got it greater fool!! And MCK definitely ok...will add shortly.

Beagle
29-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Special request SylvesterCat. Can you please in the next few days list the ten most picked stocks by ST members in the competition in order of popularity.
This might be helpful for anyone tempted to have a few bob in each as a way to tap into the collective intelligence of this investment community and to boost the diversification of their existing portfolio.
One could even be tempted to have 10X invested in the most popular stock, 9X in the second most popular e.t.c. regardless of whether one already holds the stock. X = whatever $ amount makes it interesting for the investor concerned. Might make for an interesting experiment for 2018 to see if such a portfolio did well.
One could also invest for example 5X in any stock picked more than once by a broking house if it was different to the above ten stocks as a further way of achieving portfolio diversification.
Although I am sure we all like to think we have all our bases covered already on the NZX, in my opinion it is good for the soul to admit it is not humanly possible to have a mortgage on all the good investment idea's on the NZX and to accept that there is merit in a diversification of idea's which is why of course boards of directors are made up of more than one person :)

winner69
29-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Special request SylvesterCat. Can you please in the next few days list the ten most picked stocks by ST members in the competition in order of popularity.
This might be helpful for anyone tempted to have a few bob in each as a way to tap into the collective intelligence of this investment community and to boost the diversification of their existing portfolio.
One could even be tempted to have 10X invested in the most popular stock, 9X in the second most popular e.t.c. regardless of whether one already holds the stock. X = whatever $ amount makes it interesting for the investor concerned. Might make for an interesting experiment for 2018 to see if such a portfolio did well.
One could also invest for example 5X in any stock picked more than once by a broking house if it was different to the above ten stocks as a further way of achieving portfolio diversification.
Although I am sure we all like to think we have all our bases covered already on the NZX, in my opinion it is good for the soul to admit it is not humanly possible to have a mortgage on all the good investment idea's on the NZX and to accept that there is merit in a diversification of idea's which is why of course boards of directors are made up of more than one person :)

Good idea Mr Beagle .....good thinking mate, no wonder some call you a guru

I think the top 5 in 2017 would have doubled your money (on a equal weighting) by having five solid companies in such a portfolio

That's pretty good seeing that speculative stocks like Serko and Pushpay weren't in the top 5

McGinty
29-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Hi SC, Any chance of listing MHJ to the list?

Cheers

Oliver Mander
29-12-2017, 02:20 PM

no problem! was going to do exactly that...will get some messages out this evening or tomorrow.

Oliver Mander
29-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Hi SC, Any chance of listing MHJ to the list?

Cheers

Groan. Just doing it now

MCK
MHJ

both added

Beagle
29-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Good idea Mr Beagle .....good thinking mate, no wonder some call you a guru

I think the top 5 in 2017 would have doubled your money (on a equal weighting) by having five solid companies in such a portfolio

That's pretty good seeing that speculative stocks like Serko and Pushpay weren't in the top 5

You're FAR too kind mate but I can't take credit for such an idea. Some other Winner had that idea first :)...all I did was tweak the formula a little.

no problem! was going to do exactly that...will get some messages out this evening or tomorrow.
Thanks mate and thanks again for putting your paws up to run this competition.

Oliver Mander
29-12-2017, 09:35 PM
1) Quick update: 116 entries so far, still a long way shy of last year. Can still enter if you wish - in the interests of fairness, will accept entries up until January 2nd (since first trading day is the 3rd). The mighty Thor - god of 2017 - has indeed submitted his/her entry :). Enter by a private message on sharetrader, emailing sylvestercat2018@gmail.com or via the survey link here (https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AuUMI8ycnlsfhcJI7b9trJ43BUzuVg).

2) The entry list so far can be seen at this link (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/participants) - will keep the picks hidden until entries close. There will be pages showing share performance and "popular picks" added to the site.

3) Have rung a couple of brokers today, they have indicated they'll get back to me, but also intimated they had spoken with the NZ Herald, so should be in an article any day now.

Big learning for me has been to get the list correct up front - thanks for your patience as I've added to the list with your help.

mikeybycrikey
29-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Big learning for me has been to get the list correct up front - thanks for your patience as I've added to the list with your help.

Thanks for your work this year. And also to klid and PT and others who have put in work over the past 12 months. This is a good bit of light-hearted competition. All good fun and I'm glad that it's continuing.

I'm just getting my entry ready and it should be sent via the survey soon.

29-12-2017, 10:18 PM
1) Quick update: 116 entries so far, still a long way shy of last year. Can still enter if you wish - in the interests of fairness, will accept entries up until January 2nd (since first trading day is the 3rd). The mighty Thor - god of 2017 - has indeed submitted his/her entry :). Enter by a private message on sharetrader, emailing sylvestercat2018@gmail.com or via the survey link here (https://1drv.ms/xs/s!AuUMI8ycnlsfhcJI7b9trJ43BUzuVg).

2) The entry list so far can be seen at this link (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/participants) - will keep the picks hidden until entries close. There will be pages showing share performance and "popular picks" added to the site.

3) Have rung a couple of brokers today, they have indicated they'll get back to me, but also intimated they had spoken with the NZ Herald, so should be in an article any day now.

The list of entrants is as at 8.45am yesterday. Have you a more recent one. I don't appear but my entry could have been posted after this time.

Oliver Mander
29-12-2017, 11:13 PM
You are definitely in 777. Will update soon...

ratkin
30-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Could you let shrewd crude in with 5 crypto picks, that would be interesting

pierre
30-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Hi Sylvester
Thanks for the time extension - I've just lodged my picks via the link.
Thanks also for running the competition this year. Pity the wheel has to be re-invented and that you couldn't capitalise on Klid's earlier work.

Another thought too - why doesn't STMOD run the annual competition - be good to get something productive from him instead of wrist slapping ( just saying - please don't ban me sir!).

A great idea about the top ten picks from Beagle. Will be interesting to monitor how that portfolio goes over the next 12 months.

Happy New Year and best wishes for profitable investing in 2018 to all ST members.
Bon chance
Pierre

Oliver Mander
30-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks Pierre.
klid did some great work -- but the method he used was shut off by Google during August 2017. I do wish I had his/her web skills though!! Hopefully we can work together on it at one point.

To all: please check the opening prices of the shares at this link (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/shares-info). It will update with performance figures as the year unfolds.

Deej5
31-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Brokers Picks for 2018...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11962632

Oliver Mander
01-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Thanks Deej.
- Broker Picks now included - except Vulcan Capital for picking a stock that doesn't exist yet.
- 132 entrants as of now.

PLYNCH
01-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Finzsoft FIN?

Oliver Mander
01-01-2018, 11:23 PM
It should already be there...but will add tomorrow morning if it isn't. Sorry about that...
Update: FIN now added

145 participants as of this morning.

PLYNCH
02-01-2018, 10:56 AM
NZM and TTK ?

Oliver Mander
02-01-2018, 02:39 PM
NZM and TTK ?

Both now added

Oliver Mander
02-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Entries closed...full list is shown at this link (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/participants).
Good luck to you all!!

We finished with 156 entries, plus 6 broker picks.
I'll also put the most popular picks on the website shortly.

see weed
03-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Mr Beagle, Looks like it might be a bit of a race. You picked SUM and me pick HBL. Lets all sing 'Now Is The Hour':D.

JeremyALD
03-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Mr Beagle, Looks like it might be a bit of a race. You picked SUM and me pick HBL. Lets all sing 'Now Is The Hour':D.

Have to favour Beagles odds with that one ;]

see weed
04-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Good luck for 2018. Last year was pretty close. Anything over 10% gain is good in my books, better than 3% in the bank. Am more than happy with my true portfolio and surprised it went up 58% including divs in the last year. Any one know where to view 2018 results, or do they update on a weekly basis? ps also got a 6k tax refund;).

Oliver Mander
04-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Hi all...

This is the weblink that will be used to display returns. There's a page for summary results, individual results (with a graph comparing to NZX) and share performance.

During the comp, I will update results at least weekly. While I've automated it the best I can, there's still small amount of manual effort required, so it won't be real time.
The update from yesterday is ticking away at the moment, so should publish within the next few minutes.

Oliver Mander
04-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Mikey by Crikey leads us at the moment...with this particular puss in a creditable 5th place :-)

Beagle
04-01-2018, 10:13 AM

woof, woof :)

Leftfield
04-01-2018, 10:30 AM
..with this particular puss in a creditable 5th place :-)

Must be rigged!!!

Well done SCat, looks great.

Good luck to all contestants - many NZX companies 'well positioned' IMHO.

ratkin
04-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Has anyone ever bothered to make a note of how the top Five most popular picks each year have performed?

Beagle
04-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Has anyone ever bothered to make a note of how the top Five most popular picks each year have performed?

Some astute winner last year made exactly that entry under the pseudonym of Top Dog. Check out how Top Dog did in last year's competition.

I was going to replicate that trick, (proof you can teach an old dog new tricks ?) this year but looking at the five and even ten most popular choices for 2018 I find myself already well positioned.

Toulouse - Luzern
04-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Entries closed...full list is shown at this link (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/participants).
Good luck to you all!!

We finished with 156 entries, plus 6 broker picks.
I'll also put the most popular picks on the website shortly.

Hi SilvesterCat

My entry does not seem to be there yet.

I enterered by ST Private Mail which was an option provided I believe ...

Copy of of my Private mail follows:

27-12-2017, 01:31 AM

Toulouse - Luzern

Subject 2018 Entry into the NZX Share Tipping Contest
Hi Sylvester Cat,
Thank you for running the 2018 competition.
My entry
ATM SKO SML PPH FPH
Thanks and regards
Toulouse-Luzern

Oliver Mander
04-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Hi SilvesterCat

My entry does not seem to be there yet.

Hi mate....you are definitely there! Ranked 51st currently...

Toulouse - Luzern
04-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Hi Sylvester Cat.

My apologies.
Thanks for your speedy reply.
I did not notice (1) the scroll down arrow on the spreadsheet. and (2) I did not type in my nom de guerre in the yellow box.
Thanks to SKO I may make a reasonable start to 2018.
Thanks and regards
TL

Oliver Mander
04-01-2018, 01:34 PM

Hi ratkin...

- Have added in a broker pick called "Sharetrader Top 5" - so that should appear in the summary section shortly.
- Have also coloured the broker picks orange in the main list to make the benchmarks easier to see.
- and have made the navigation / placement work a bit better so it fits on the width of a screen...

Sylvester

captainigloo
04-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Sylvester have you tested this in Chrome? For me it doesn't work - I get a vertical + horizontal scrollbar only and a message in the console "refused to display https://login.live.com ... in a frame ... ".

But it works fine in IE.

BlackPeter
04-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Sylvester have you tested this in Chrome? For me it doesn't work - I get a vertical + horizontal scrollbar only and a message in the console "refused to display https://login.live.com ... in a frame ... ".

But it works fine in IE.

Funny - I am using Chrome and I can use the site (though its a bit slow ...)

Oliver Mander
04-01-2018, 10:04 PM
I only use Chrome...:-). But it doesn't work on chrome mobile...I will look at ways to make it better. This cat is ok at extracting and manipulating data but a bit kitten-ish on the web front...

Brovendell
05-01-2018, 09:43 AM
I think the cat has done a great job:t_up:

captainigloo
05-01-2018, 07:50 PM
I only use Chrome...:-). But it doesn't work on chrome mobile...I will look at ways to make it better. This cat is ok at extracting and manipulating data but a bit kitten-ish on the web front...
One of your iframes is loading "https://onedrive.live.com/embed..." . If I open this directly in another tab I get redirected to https://login.live.com, looks like I have an account there but I don't know my password. If I open this directly in an incognito tab I get redirected to the error "This item won't load right now". But if I load https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/individual-result in an incognito tab it does work. I have a bunch of cookies for onedrive.live.com.

So I think it's not working for me because I have an account at onedrive.live.com (which they detect via the cookie) but I'm not logged in.

JeremyALD
05-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Great work on this :)

anyway we we could rename the thread title?

06-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Sylvester in the individual result page, I can select my name but it shows up as #'s. I appear to be on my own as a random selection of other names gives the information for those entrants. Can you please have a look at it.

You have done a great job.

Thanks

Share Weight Initial Investment Shares Open price Close price Close Investment Dividends received Total $ Return %age annualised %age
Pick 1 #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A
Pick 2 #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A
Pick 3 #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A
Pick 4 #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A
Pick 5 #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A
$10,000 #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A #N/A

Oliver Mander
06-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Hmmm...this might be to do with the fact I formatted 777 as text. Try '777 (ie, with the apostrophe) and see if that works.

06-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Hmmm...this might be to do with the fact I formatted 777 as text. Try '777 (ie, with the apostrophe) and see if that works.

I can't do that as I can only select from the drop down list. Perhaps you could change me to B777 and see if that helps as it starts with a letter.

Oliver Mander
06-01-2018, 09:14 PM
B777 it is...and works fine!

06-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Great. Thanks

Joshuatree
14-01-2018, 01:18 PM
ASX comp closes tonight if you're int in having a crack.

Oliver Mander
14-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Results for the NZX comp as at Jan 12th available...

Jay
15-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Saw that too gf, I did not get it either!!:)

Oliver Mander
15-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Pretty damned impressive really! Have figured it out, my apologies. Will resolve itself sometime this evening...

15-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Sylvester where did you get the value of KFL from. I like it but it is a bit over stated.

Closing value on Friday was 132.

Oliver Mander
15-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Yahoo's data download is often a bit screwy until the next trading day after the close. It does correct itself, but takes time. I'll correct KFL to the correct close though, should be reflected in results this evening.

15-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Yahoo's data download is often a bit screwy until the next trading day after the close. It does correct itself, but takes time. I'll correct KFL to the correct close though, should be reflected in results this evening.

The last time they were as high as 139 was December 2016, over a year ago. The update before this one had them over 140. So I suspect it is a more than just yahoo correcting itself in the short term.

Oliver Mander
15-01-2018, 05:56 PM
The last time they were as high as 139 was December 2016, over a year ago. The update before this one had them over 140. So I suspect it is a more than just yahoo correcting itself in the short term.

You'd be amazed what Yahoo is capable of. I had a look at the source file - definitely a yahoo issue. although if you download it again now, its fine. See the picture attached...the 140 is still there also. The 140 for previous days is still here...see this link: https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/quote/KFL.NZ/history?p=KFL.NZ
You'll also note that yahoo (on its download only) is always 1 day out. I correct for that as part of the data, but still very odd...
Not the only stock either - keeping an eye on VGL, BRM and a couple of others. Will add KFL to the list.

The dividend issue was all mine though, I screwed that up all by myself!!

All fixed...and heaven help us it looks like MSL Brokers are now edging us all out!!!

Baa_Baa
15-01-2018, 06:42 PM
That's the trouble with Yahoo data, which has caught me out a few times, you have to manually check everything because it's often crook and sometimes doesn't "correct itself". Even their own charts are pretty much useless without checking as they often duplicate days, have incorrect closing prices, etc. As Paper Tiger berated me some eternity ago, you get what you (don't) pay for.

waikare
20-01-2018, 07:25 PM
What am I doing wrong, when I type my user name in the yellow slot I do not appear to be on the list?

Cheers Waikare

20-01-2018, 07:56 PM
You don't appear on the "everyone" list either as far as I can see. You need to to talk to Sylvestercat.

Oliver Mander
20-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Results for week ended January 19th are available at the usual link.

Oliver Mander
20-01-2018, 09:07 PM
What am I doing wrong, when I type my user name in the yellow slot I do not appear to be on the list?

Cheers Waikare

Waikare, I haven't got you as an entry...do you remember if you sent anything thru?
If you did enter, do you know what you picked? Or even the date you entered?
Can see if I can trace something...

Oliver Mander
21-01-2018, 09:56 AM
All sorted Waikare - found you!! My sincerest apologies.

Oliver Mander
28-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Hi all...latest results now published.
MSL Brokers are now clearly on top (thanks to PLX and GXH), with Lady Grey and gmatt in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Oliver Mander
04-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Results for w/e Feb 2nd now published.
1st: ladyGrey
2nd: MSL Brokers

Well Endowed
05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the hard work on this Sylvester top notch! Just wondering (partly to my own laziness) if you could roll the link to the results forward, I keep forgetting which page it is on and as the thread grows have to click through to find it :)

hardt
05-02-2018, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the hard work on this Sylvester top notch! Just wondering (partly to my own laziness) if you could roll the link to the results forward, I keep forgetting which page it is on and as the thread grows have to click through to find it :)

05-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Save the link like everyone else. Sylvester does not need any extra work.

Well Endowed
08-02-2018, 11:05 AM
all good had CBL as a pick (fortunately not as a holding) so game over anyway. Can't access through my workplace computers or phone so makes reviewing a bit more challenging. Appreciate your snarky response 777, going the extra mile as per usual.

Oliver Mander
08-02-2018, 02:42 PM
all good had CBL as a pick (fortunately not as a holding) so game over anyway. Can't access through my workplace computers or phone so makes reviewing a bit more challenging. Appreciate your snarky response 777, going the extra mile as per usual.

hi w.e. (cannot bring myself to type 'wxxx endoxxx')
...the link is: https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/overall-result

And now that I've gotten the data side automated each week, I'll start to focus on how I can present the results in a table that is a bit quicker and more accessible. That should help.

Well Endowed
08-02-2018, 04:40 PM
hi w.e. (cannot bring myself to type 'wxxx endoxxx')
...the link is: https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/overall-result

And now that I've gotten the data side automated each week, I'll start to focus on how I can present the results in a table that is a bit quicker and more accessible. That should help.

Cheers mate, all your efforts on running this comp are definitely appreciated! :)

Oliver Mander
19-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Ok, after a frenetic couple of weeks in the market, here are the top 3 as at 16/2...looks like the old dog has leapt into 2nd place, thanks to HLG and THL.
Results published soon...

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

gmatt
CAV
THL
RBC
NTL
PLX
$10,000
$10,689
$0
$689
6.9%
51.3%

beagle
PPH
SUM
THL
ATM
HLG
$10,000
$10,646
$0
$646
6.5%
48.1%

Crackity
NWF
TWR
ATM
PPH
RBC
$10,000
$10,593
$0
$593
5.9%
44.2%

winner69
19-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Ok, after a frenetic couple of weeks in the market, here are the top 3 as at 16/2...looks like the old dog has leapt into 2nd place, thanks to HLG and THL.
Results published soon...

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

gmatt
CAV
THL
RBC
NTL
PLX
$10,000
$10,689
$0
$689
6.9%
51.3%

beagle
PPH
SUM
THL
ATM
HLG
$10,000
$10,646
$0
$646
6.5%
48.1%

Crackity
NWF
TWR
ATM
PPH
RBC
$10,000
$10,593
$0
$593
5.9%
44.2%

Must be a few mistakes in your model to get a result like this .......;):t_down::eek2::scared::confused::sleep:

no idea what those things mean bit JT likes usimg this one ;);););)

couta1
19-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Beagle/Couta and See Weed all in the top 10, looks like it's the year of exuberance.

Beagle
19-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Beagle/Couta and See Weed all in the top 10, looks like it's the year of exuberance.
Not to forget me ol mate Crackity. Early days though and definitly not time to start the tail wagging yet. Tail wags when my portfolio is up a minimum of 25% and not before.

winner69
19-02-2018, 12:24 PM

A guy on the radio this morning that history shows that the Year of the Dog (Chinese years) have been the years with the greatest average gains over the last 50 years or so

Beagle
19-02-2018, 12:31 PM
A guy on the radio this morning that history shows that the Year of the Dog (Chinese years) have been the years with the greatest average gains over the last 50 years or so

Hmmm... Beagle, Couta and Crackity ALL very keen on their dogs, (the furry ones not the dogs in their portfolio lol)
Watched CNBC show yesterday called Top Dog before heading down to ST meeting. All about the year of the dog. Dog's are known for their loyalty and also defensive properties, (guard dog's) so the theme is to be loyal to your shareholdings in good companies but adopt a defensive overall market position.
In other words don't hold any dog's unless they are of the fur variety :)

see weed
20-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Not for long, looking at HLG sp last couple of days. It will go back up end of March and beginning of April. This is a very tight com. with contestants similar picks. Last week I was at no.124, this week at no. 9. But as long as we are all making $'s and having fun:D.

Sgt Pepper
21-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Well, as a relatiive novice investor I am delighted with my current ranking of #5. Im chuffed.

see weed
22-02-2018, 01:00 PM
My prediction...If a2 don't pull back too much looks like Beags is gonna be top dog next week and fully deserves it with the amount effort and time he puts into this forum:t_up:. Then Crac, Not Rog, Lman, Cout, sw, Waik, Xer, Moo, and Sylv. Top Ten:). But then again, it will all change? the week after:mellow:

Beagle
22-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Thanks mate, very kind of you to say. Not sure about the top dog thing, probably just a temporary fluke if it happens but one things for sure, anyone who hasn't got ATM as one of their picks is likely to have a relatively bad week compared to those who have it ! :t_up:
Might score the quinella if SUM's sums look good tomorrow

Oliver Mander
25-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Well well, looks like the dogs have risen to the top....could it be that a Beagle is in both #1 and #2, with a lawnmower following closely in 3rd hoovering up the dog poop?
Couta 1 is 7th, with this lowly pussycat in 9th place and a rooster hot on my tail.
Full results will be on the website soon: https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$11,619
$0
$1,619
16.2%
105.5%

beagle
PPH
SUM
THL
ATM
HLG
$10,000
$11,566
$0
$1,566
15.7%
102.1%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$11,454
$0
$1,454
14.5%
94.8%

Should add that THL, SUM, HLG and ATM appear to be the themes of the fortnight so far...

Incidentally, Sharetrader Top 5 now in 25th place - very close to Craig's. So there is something to be said for "collective wisdom".
MSL brokers slipped from 1st to 61st. Their's did seem to be a very short-term game...

winner69
25-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Well well, looks like the dogs have risen to the top....could it be that a Beagle is in both #1 and #2, with a lawnmower following closely in 3rd hoovering up the dog poop?
Couta 1 is 7th, with this lowly pussycat in 9th place and a rooster hot on my tail.
Full results will be on the website soon: https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$11,619
$0
$1,619
16.2%
105.5%

beagle
PPH
SUM
THL
ATM
HLG
$10,000
$11,566
$0
$1,566
15.7%
102.1%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$11,454
$0
$1,454
14.5%
94.8%

Should add that THL, SUM, HLG and ATM appear to be the themes of the fortnight so far...

Incidentally, Sharetrader Top 5 now in 25th place - very close to Craig's. So there is something to be said for "collective wisdom".
MSL brokers slipped from 1st to 61st. Their's did seem to be a very short-term game...

Not Roger (honest) ...is one of his disciples

Well done on leading your hero .... AIR better than PPH ...how ironic

I know you worship him ....and for the curious it’s not percy

Beagle
26-02-2018, 08:41 AM
LOL...this temporary fluke is all the proof you need that every dog has its day :)

couta1
26-02-2018, 06:38 PM
I reckon the Beagle couldn't bare leaving his beloved Air off his picks so he's put up another entry, could be a bone of contention here.:cool:

Lawnmower man
26-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Hi ladies and gentlemen. This is my first post but have been one of these "background trawlers" that spends excess hours reading on sharetrader, just taking all of the knowledge in from the wonderful community for the last 2-3 years. I really value the opinions presented on this forum, but this information is used as a starting point for me to do my own research prior to making investment decisions. I guess I have always been afraid to post, as I feel I don't have much to add to what other have been saying. From now on I will try and make some more contributions and give back where and when I can, but, I am still very much in the early stages of learning. I've got skin in the game of the 5 stocks I picked this year so am feeling very pleased with how things are going, while keeping a stockpile of cash ready for what may be around the corner. A really big thank you though, as this forum has been invaluable to a newbie!

couta1
26-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Hi ladies and gentlemen. This is my first post but have been one of these "background trawlers" that spends excess hours reading on sharetrader, just taking all of the knowledge in from the wonderful community for the last 2-3 years. I really value the opinions presented on this forum, but this information is used as a starting point for me to do my own research prior to making investment decisions. I guess I have always been afraid to post, as I feel I don't have much to add to what other have been saying. From now on I will try and make some more contributions and give back where and when I can, but, I am still very much in the early stages of learning. I've got skin in the game of the 5 stocks I picked this year so am feeling very pleased with how things are going, while keeping a stockpile of cash ready for what may be around the corner. A really big thank you though, as this forum has been invaluable to a newbie! Nice to read your post, keep contributing, everyone has something to contribute,big or small.

Oliver Mander
26-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Hi ladies and gentlemen. This is my first post but have been one of these "background trawlers" that spends excess hours reading on sharetrader, just taking all of the knowledge in from the wonderful community for the last 2-3 years. I really value the opinions presented on this forum, but this information is used as a starting point for me to do my own research prior to making investment decisions. I guess I have always been afraid to post, as I feel I don't have much to add to what other have been saying. From now on I will try and make some more contributions and give back where and when I can, but, I am still very much in the early stages of learning. I've got skin in the game of the 5 stocks I picked this year so am feeling very pleased with how things are going, while keeping a stockpile of cash ready for what may be around the corner. A really big thank you though, as this forum has been invaluable to a newbie!

Lawnmower, I am only a newbie myself on the forum, so I echo your sentiment. I love the banter, and the discussion is both insightful and incisive.

Beagle
04-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Wonder how the dog's went last week ? Looking at my latest real portfolio valuation it looks like I got my nails clipped a little bit, maybe the same in this competition ?

Oliver Mander
05-03-2018, 09:07 AM
The machine is busy creating the results at the moment, busy day at work so will probably check & publish sometime this arvo...

Oliver Mander
05-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Well, similar results for the dogs as lat week...although certain pussycats did not fare so well.
Beagle and lawnmower have swapped places, Not roger still leading us into the first turn....

The brokerage of "Sharetrader top 5" is now the best-placed set of broker picks...!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$11,794
$0
$1,794
17.9%
103.9%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$11,752
$0
$1,752
17.5%
101.5%

beagle
PPH
SUM
THL
ATM
HLG
$10,000
$11,644
$0
$1,644
16.4%
95.3%

Full results on the website: https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

Beagle
05-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Early days but its a bit of fun to be at the head of the pack, opps I mean third :)

Oliver Mander
11-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Well, quite a change this week...mainly thanks to the rise of AIR as they paid a divvie but kept their price intact. Our winner to date is Xerof, with Not Roger in 2nd place and Crackity in 3rd.
Beagle and Lawnmower man have slipped to 7th and 5th from last week...while this lowly pussycat continues a slide to 31st.

Sharetrader top 5 is at a respectable 26th...so there is indeed some validity to the assertion made that our collective choices serve us well.

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Xerof
AIR
ATM
CVT
RBC
SUM
$10,000
$12,165
$95
$2,260
22.6%
117.8%

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$12,077
$95
$2,172
21.7%
113.3%

Crackity
NWF
TWR
ATM
PPH
RBC
$10,000
$12,143
$0
$2,143
21.4%
111.8%

Full results on the website: https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

hamish
14-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Hopefully this is a marathon not a sprint.....

Come- on!
I may be 2nd last but there's no reason why CBL, EVO, MPG, SKT can't make a comeback... :-) Haha. Maybe they will double by year end... Cough cough

Picking the 'anti-sentiment stocks' from 2017 was always a hail mary... but miracles can occur?

Ok, enough negativity, need some of Janinda/Winner69 relentless optomism coming through.
- Maybe the chinese will ban milk product imports
- Maybe the price of fuel will double
- Maybe Amazon will kill the retail growth stocks
- Maybe the goct will increase minimum wage further and change profit rules for retirement sector

or maybe some prayer - The first shall be last and the last shall be first

Oliver Mander
19-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Something not right with the data source today - will see if it corrects overnight and run tomorrow morning...my apologies for the delay.

Oliver Mander
21-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Results will be up soon.
I am just checking - I have trawled for rights issues, but there have been NONE so far on NZX stocks this year...is that correct? (Kathmandu is a placement rather than a rights issue...)

Oliver Mander
21-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Results for the year-to-date to March 16th...xerof continues to lead, with a strong 26% return this year (well up on last week).
Crackity drops out of the top 3, and we welcome back lawnmower man...!
Theme of the week appears to be SUM retirement share (can't pick which one...) with lawnmower's SML pick looking odds on to help him to first place next week!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Xerof
AIR
ATM
CVT
RBC
SUM
$10,000
$12,511
$104
$2,616
26.2%
124.0%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,478
$26
$2,503
25.0%
118.7%

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$12,287
$95
$2,381
23.8%
112.9%

Sharetrader Top 5 remains in a creditable 24th position.

JeremyALD
22-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Enjoying a comfortable top 10 position. Just need ARV to kick into gear. This year I can actually celebrate because I own all the stocks I picked unlike last year :D

Oliver Mander
22-03-2018, 09:31 AM
Yep, like you, I own all of the stocks I picked (although my weightings are different). And definitely want ARV to kick on!!
I'm still thinking that the "Sharetrader top 5" brokerage picks are a good basis for any investment portfolio...:)

Beagle
22-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Yep, like you, I own all of the stocks I picked (although my weightings are different). And definitely want ARV to kick on!!
I'm still thinking that the "Sharetrader top 5" brokerage picks are a good basis for any investment portfolio...:)

Yes agree. The power of collective wisdom which is why of course boards of directors contain more than one member ! As an interesting aside using exactly that principle at the February 2018 ST gathering in Auckland I asked people attending for their #1 top pick for capital appreciation in the year ahead.
The overwhelming support for ATM surprised even me so I topped up with thousands more at just on $9.
Considering they're no over $14 a share just one month later I'd say that was a pretty rewarding meeting lol...oh and I had a great time catching up with old friends and meeting new people too :t_up:

Oliver Mander
27-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Results to March 23rd...a few swapsies amongst the top 3 this week, but very little change otherwise! Lawnmower man has opened up quite the lead however...

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,836
$26
$2,862
28.6%
124.3%

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$12,565
$95
$2,660
26.6%
115.6%

Xerof
AIR
ATM
CVT
RBC
SUM
$10,000
$12,433
$104
$2,537
25.4%
110.3%

Oliver Mander
09-04-2018, 11:12 AM
And here re the results to April 6th...a certain Beagle has managed to sneak into 3rd place this week, with lawnmower man retaining a strong lead.

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,675
$127
$2,802
28.0%
104.4%

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$12,217
$239
$2,456
24.6%
91.5%

beagle
PPH
SUM
THL
ATM
HLG
$10,000
$12,170
$170
$2,340
23.4%
87.1%

Beagle
09-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Got to be content with that especially seeing as I now own both SML and AIR in my real portfolio...Lawnmower man cutting a clear pathway for the hound to run along :)

winner69
10-04-2018, 09:37 AM
The red line on the performance charts looks a bit sick

Oliver Mander
10-04-2018, 12:08 PM
yep...one of those years....

Beagle
10-04-2018, 12:44 PM
If its any consolation the vast majority of the world's markets had a tough first quarter.

Oliver Mander
24-04-2018, 10:32 PM
Sorry for the long break...always a busy time of year. Results to April 20th are attached below - note that I have included a valuation for the FBU rights issue according to the "Snoopy formula", applied as from April 19th; that adds about 30c return to the current share price for FBU.

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,764
$127
$0
$2,891
28.9%
94.2%

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$12,503
$107
$0
$2,609
26.1%
85.0%

lowrolling
PPH
SUM
ATM
SML
THL
$10,000
$12,372
$69
$0
$2,441
24.4%
79.5%

Quite a change to the top3, with B777 and lowrolling both doing well - but lawnmower man is waaaay out in front!

Full results will be available on the website shortly: https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

Oliver Mander
08-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Full results will be available on the website now: https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

The brutal year continues...unless you're into milk!
Results to May 4th

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,875
$127
$0
$3,002
30.0%
87.0%

whome
ATM
SML
SKO
GTK
PPH
$10,000
$12,881
$0
$0
$2,881
28.8%
83.5%

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$12,724
$107
$0
$2,830
28.3%
82.0%

This lowly cat has sunk into his milk after bright start....!

t.rexjr
09-05-2018, 10:52 AM
The brutal year continues...unless you're into milk!

Feeling a bit hungry surrounded by all the mooing. Whats a dinosaur going to eat I wonder?

Seems I'm the only lactose intolerant meat eater in the top 20...

Beagle
15-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Feeling a bit hungry surrounded by all the mooing. Whats a dinosaur going to eat I wonder?

Seems I'm the only lactose intolerant meat eater in the top 20...

As long as you don't eat this happy (overweight from sucking on moo juice) Beagle I'll be happy :)

Oliver Mander
23-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Results to May 18th...the wild ride continues, with B777 the latest beneficiary!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$12,647
$107
$0
$2,754
27.5%
71.8%

t.rexjr
IKE
NTL
RBC
SKO
TWR
$10,000
$12,702
$0
$0
$2,702
27.0%
70.4%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,557
$127
$0
$2,684
26.8%
70.0%

Full results will be available on the website now: https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

Oliver Mander
30-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Results to May 25th...b777 is still on top!!
Note that sometimes, my data source (Yahoo) isn't always up to date - its why I've taken to waiting a couple of days after the weekend before publishing the previous week's results. But even worse - sometimes share prices are not updated for months. I do check it, but I don't pick everything up...so if you do notice anything please let me know! For example, I've now corrected VGL, which has been incorrect for some time.

At the end of the day, its only the Dec 31st result that matters...and I've checked the opening prices - but I don't mind chasing any interim issues up to get it right!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$12,543
$107
$0
$2,650
26.5%
65.8%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,505
$127
$0
$2,632
26.3%
65.4%

lowrolling
PPH
SUM
ATM
SML
THL
$10,000
$12,452
$69
$0
$2,521
25.2%
62.6%

Oliver Mander
14-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Hi all...results to June 8th. Swapsies at the top, with lawnmower man regaining the lead. It is definitely close amongst the top 5-6...and its telling that 65 of us have made over 10% YTD, 86 of us are 'beating the market' and 128 of us are better than breakeven.

Full results available on the website now: https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,985
$127
$0
$3,112
31.1%
70.5%

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$12,924
$107
$0
$3,030
30.3%
68.7%

lowrolling
PPH
SUM
ATM
SML
THL
$10,000
$12,854
$69
$0
$2,923
29.2%
66.3%

whome
ATM
SML
SKO
GTK
PPH
$10,000
$12,816
$0
$0
$2,816
28.2%
63.8%

JeremyALD
ARV
ATM
SML
SUM
PPH
$10,000
$12,717
$44
$0
$2,761
27.6%
62.6%

Oliver Mander
27-06-2018, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure a whole lots change over the last fortnight...other than the top 3's returns have got higher :-)
Full results available on the website now: https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$13,292
$127
$0
$3,419
34.2%
71.3%

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$13,242
$150
$0
$3,392
33.9%
70.8%

lowrolling
PPH
SUM
ATM
SML
THL
$10,000
$13,170
$69
$0
$3,239
32.4%
67.6%

winner69
28-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Once CBL is put in at zilch one will drop out of the top 15

Sorry hardt ...was checking what you had in way of selections to be near the top

Oliver Mander
28-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Yes that's a good point on CBL. it would be picking up the last traded price - but given that the shares can't be sold, we might have to over-ride that to 'zero' at one point. Will probably happen during August; that's when the next series of decisions on CBL are being made...

hardt
02-07-2018, 01:20 AM
Once CBL is put in at zilch one will drop out of the top 15

Sorry hardt ...was checking what you had in way of selections to be near the top

Thanks for reminding me, maybe next year...

I originally planned on SKO being there, then opted for a more historically stable option... little did I know... R.I.P

Lucky for me CBL was only 3% in my real portfolio, so I can just think of it as a tax credit now

Beagle
08-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Is my browser broken?
Or is the puddy-tat named Sylvester asleep beside the fire?
Last update 22 June. CBL share price has been rock solid all year. Should have me near top of rankings. :sleep:

Hounds have a liking for falling asleep by the fire in winter too :)
#11... I can formally kiss goodbye to my chances of regaining a top ten spot with PPH basically in freefall and go back to sleep by the fire happy I have no real money in it. They have changed the basis of how they measure their growth several times in the last year and frankly I think the market has cried enough creativity already. There's a limit to how many different creative ways they can try and disguise that growth is really slowing up.

Oliver Mander
10-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Sylvester Cat not quite asleep :-) Has been busy for the last 6 weeks though...including a surprise trip to New York on AIR. Sorry for lack of update - all info there, and will run the models in the weekend.

Oliver Mander
16-08-2018, 03:27 PM
And the results to August 10th...thing is, Lawnmower Man is so far in front its almost moot :-)...that top 5 ha a stable look about it!

All Picks

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$13,003
$127
$0
$3,130
31.3%
51.0%

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$12,762
$187
$0
$2,950
29.5%
48.1%

QOH
ATM
OCA
SCL
SML
SUM
$10,000
$12,540
$191
$0
$2,730
27.3%
44.5%

gmatt-2
BLT
CAV
NTL
RBC
SKO
$10,000
$12,628
$0
$0
$2,628
26.3%
42.8%

Not Roger ( honest)
AIR
SUM
THL
HLG
ATM
$10,000
$12,372
$239
$0
$2,611
26.1%
42.5%

Oliver Mander
12-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Results to September 7th. On a personal note, not my best year...but others seem to be doing ok :-)!!!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$14,086
$149
$0
$4,235
42.3%
60.9%

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$13,596
$209
$0
$3,805
38.0%
54.7%

QOH
ATM
OCA
SCL
SML
SUM
$10,000
$13,382
$212
$0
$3,594
35.9%
51.7%

JeremyALD
ARV
ATM
SML
SUM
PPH
$10,000
$13,184
$90
$0
$3,274
32.7%
47.1%

Pixelator
ATM
SML
HBL
ERD
HLG
$10,000
$13,073
$188
$0
$3,260
32.6%
46.9%

t.rexjr
12-09-2018, 02:14 PM

Hey there Mr Sylvester Cat. Your web page is showing an issue with the file being above the 5MB limit. No can veiw...

Beagle
12-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Hey there Mr Sylvester Cat. Your web page is showing an issue with the file being above the 5MB limit. No can veiw...

+1 an issue for the resident cat to look at.

Oliver Mander
12-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Oh dear.
Okay, will solve that problem at one point soon. It holds data it eh background for a long time, might just be a case of clearing that...

Oliver Mander
12-09-2018, 05:02 PM
+1 an issue for the resident cat to look at.

all fixed...!

Oliver Mander
10-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Results to end-September...:-)! Christmas dinner at lawnmower's place this year...

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$13,559
$149
$0
$3,707
37.1%
49.6%

QOH
ATM
OCA
SCL
SML
SUM
$10,000
$13,041
$212
$0
$3,254
32.5%
43.5%

B777
ATM
SML
KFL
SCL
SUM
$10,000
$12,811
$254
$0
$3,065
30.7%
41.0%

Beagle
10-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Top performer up 37% with a major adjustment to come as SUM is falling out of bed, by comparison with previous years shows just how tough the market has been this year.
I'm running 10th and am a little disappointed with my real and for that matter this theoretical portfolio performance this year...maybe I should have had more realistic expectations after such a stellar run last year...

Snoopy
10-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Results to end-September...:-)!

Not threatening the leaders, but pretty happy with my 74th place. I run a deep value strategy which I expect will underperform the market in any year the rampant bull takes charge. I am up 12.5% with 3/4 of the year gone. By any definition this is a bull year. Yet the NZX50 is 'only' up 11.3%. So I am up 1.2% on the index when I expected to be at least that far behind. So couldn't be happier.

So why do I run a strategy that I expect will underperform the market? Because when the bear takes over this kind of strategy should outperform the market in a way that more than makes up for any underperformance in bull years. At the start of any year I have no idea whether it will be a 'bull year' or a 'bear year'. If you run a deep value strategy you don't have to know that!

SNOOPY

Oliver Mander
07-11-2018, 05:13 PM
preparing end-October reports now, will be online soon...

Beagle
07-11-2018, 05:23 PM
preparing end-October reports now, will be online soon...

Maybe we should skip the October update :lol: (I did in my real portfolio).

Oliver Mander
11-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Well, its been an "interesting" month. I would like to personally thank the NZX for stopping the feed of their SmartShares products to Yahoo Finance, thereby requiring a manual update. For Nov/Dec updates, I'll only show the end points, frankly to make my life easier :-). The recovery of PLX during the month has had a massive impact on those who picked it, leading to a significant change at the top. While general market chaos has impacted everyone else.

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Kay
MPG
SUM
HLG
PLX
RAK
$10,000
$12,890
$297
$0
$3,187
31.9%
38.0%

RGR367
ATM
BLT
OHE
RAK
SKO
$10,000
$12,593
$0
$0
$2,593
25.9%
30.9%

Pending
PPH
ATM
SKO
IKE
WDT
$10,000
$12,429
$0
$0
$2,429
24.3%
29.0%

t.rexjr
IKE
NTL
RBC
SKO
TWR
$10,000
$12,424
$0
$0
$2,424
24.2%
28.9%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$12,102
$149
$0
$2,251
22.5%
26.9%

So = well done Kay!!! Results will be available shortly on https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home
Happy picking all...

The time is probably close to think about next years picks - happy to keep on doing this, if people are happy, but understand if my updates are a bit slow for some.
Regardless though, I'll arrange a way to make it easier to submit picks and report results. More soon.

Your faithful pet, sylvester cat

iceman
11-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Generous of you SylvesterCat to offer to continue doing this. Thanks for your work. Always a bit of fun to read and follow this competition.

Beagle
11-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Agree 100%. Very good of you to do this and to offer to continue for another year. Many thanks.

Leftfield
12-11-2018, 08:01 AM
THANK YOU!! Sylvester Cat. We all learn so much from this competition (and of course we can't all be winners). The learning comes from seeing other investors choices and their results.
Thank you.

Snoopy
12-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Not threatening the leaders, but pretty happy with my 74th place. I run a deep value strategy which I expect will underperform the market in any year the rampant bull takes charge. I am up 12.5% with 3/4 of the year gone. By any definition this is a bull year. Yet the NZX50 is 'only' up 11.3%. So I am up 1.2% on the index when I expected to be at least that far behind. So couldn't be happier.

Little did I know when I wrote the above post that the latest episode of world market volatility would start the very next day. Of course like anyone else with a decent spread in a portfolio of shares I am down as a result. The end of October result sees me +11.1% for the year (down from 12.5% at the end of last month). But in the relative contest I have jumped quite a bit: from 74th to 38th place. By contrast the NZX50 is now only up 4.2% for the year. So my outperformance of the index is now 6.9 percentage points for the year. This is the kind of thing I expect in a tough market and is a vindication of my deep value strategy. Not that it needed vinidicating. There are plenty of studies out there that show this kind of strategy works just like this.

From this result, you can see why I do not use a 'stop loss' strategy. I am only down 1.4%. The brokerage I would have to pay to 'recover' from this loss, if I had gone in and out of the market, would be greater than the loss I experienced.

SNOOPY

Oliver Mander
13-12-2018, 12:32 PM
end-November results are out!! Results are available at on https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)
Note that...
1) I've adjusted HBL to HGH to allow for the code change;
2) I've written down CBL from its last trade of $3.17 to $0. (sorry).

Summary top 5 results are shown here...the markets are volatile and so is our little competition!! DON'T FORGET TO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN FOR NET YEAR!! - the more the merrier. Will also look to make the results more automated, and perhaps add another "active" competition running in parallel...:-)!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

RGR367
ATM
BLT
OHE
RAK
SKO
$10,000
$12,510
$0
$0
$2,510
25.1%
27.3%

Vr
PLX
AIR
ATM
WHS
MVN
$10,000
$11,710
$437
$0
$2,148
21.5%
23.3%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$11,934
$149
$0
$2,083
20.8%
22.6%

chinesekiwi
OCA
VGL
PLX
ARV
FNZ
$10,000
$11,838
$241
$0
$2,079
20.8%
22.6%

Pending
PPH
ATM
SKO
IKE
WDT
$10,000
$12,071
$0
$0
$2,071
20.7%
22.5%

winner69
13-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Doing a sterling job here Sylvester

Nice of you to post the top 5 ...saves me going to your website

Snoopy
13-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Little did I know when I wrote the above post that the latest episode of world market volatility would start the very next day. Of course like anyone else with a decent spread in a portfolio of shares I am down as a result. The end of October result sees me +11.1% for the year (down from 12.5% at the end of last month). But in the relative contest I have jumped quite a bit: from 74th to 38th place. By contrast the NZX50 is now only up 4.2% for the year. So my out-performance of the index is now 6.9 percentage points for the year. This is the kind of thing I expect in a tough market and is a vindication of my deep value strategy. Not that it needed vindicating. There are plenty of studies out there that show this kind of strategy works just like this.

From this result, you can see why I do not use a 'stop loss' strategy. I am only down 1.4%. The brokerage I would have to pay to 'recover' from this loss, if I had gone in and out of the market, would be greater than the loss I experienced.

Good 'battle of the beagles' shaping up here. The other Beagle made a stellar start and has now embarked on an end of year retreat. This Beagle stumbled along nearly tracking the index until the October volatility started. Then the index dropped away and I didn't. So I am now up to 24th place only one spot behind the other Beagle. The index has recovered to +5.5% for the year and I am at +12.2%. So I am now looking at a 7.1% percentage point out-performance of the index. Bring on December 31st! Having said that I am unlikely to match my absolute performance for 2017 of 22% (+1.5% on the index), or even the +13.1% for FY2016. Hopefully I will stay ahead of the +11.8% result for FY2015. I see I achieved +18.65% for FY2014 but was back to +9% in FY2013. +42% seems to be my best number though, back in FY2012. Given most of these returns are cumulative, I can't complain about where I have ended up after the last six years of NZX investing! My entries over the last six years were as follows:

Portfolio Return

2018: CENRBDSKCSKLSPK+12.2% (pending)

2017: CENRBDSKCSKLSPK+22.0%

2016: CENPGWRBDSKCSPK+13.1%

2015: PGWRBDSKCSCTSPK+11.8%

2014: PGWRBDSKCSCTSPK+18.7%

2013: RBDSKCSCTSPKTUA+9.0%

2012: RBDSKCSCTSPKTUA+42.0%

Cumulative Return 2012 to 2017 +183%

Notes

1/ Just to make that clear. For every $1000 I had at the start of 2012, I now have $2834 after six years of investing.
2/ Note that SPK (or TEL as it was) RBD and SKC have been held over the whole period.

SNOOPY

Oliver Mander
13-12-2018, 04:20 PM
good on ya Snoopy, but would have thought he real plaudits go to those who are in 1st place!!!

This is all about learning. If you blow your own trumpet, you're closing your mind off to the possibility that others might have better ideas in terms of their investment selections.
What's the old saying...pride before a fall? I like to say that hubris prevents learning as well.

Oliver Mander
14-12-2018, 03:57 AM
Actually correct tho. If you kept losing money at that rate, you'd have to keep topping up (to lose it again!!). I think in some companies, including CBL, they call it a capital raise.....????

I guess for negative returns i should cap it at 100%. It makes no difference in terms of your individual "picks portfolio" though!!

RGR367
14-12-2018, 08:47 AM
end-November results are out!! Results are available at on https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)
Note that...
1) I've adjusted HBL to HGH to allow for the code change;
2) I've written down CBL from its last trade of $3.17 to $0. (sorry).

Summary top 5 results are shown here...the markets are volatile and so is our little competition!! DON'T FORGET TO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN FOR NET YEAR!! - the more the merrier. Will also look to make the results more automated, and perhaps add another "active" competition running in parallel...:-)!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

RGR367
ATM
BLT
OHE
RAK
SKO
$10,000
$12,510
$0
$0
$2,510
25.1%
27.3%

Vr
PLX
AIR
ATM
WHS
MVN
$10,000
$11,710
$437
$0
$2,148
21.5%
23.3%

Lawnmower man
ATM
SUM
SML
PPH
HLG
$10,000
$11,934
$149
$0
$2,083
20.8%
22.6%

chinesekiwi
OCA
VGL
PLX
ARV
FNZ
$10,000
$11,838
$241
$0
$2,079
20.8%
22.6%

Pending
PPH
ATM
SKO
IKE
WDT
$10,000
$12,071
$0
$0
$2,071
20.7%
22.5%

Though still a couple of weeks left, I'm on top! Bragging until the Market turn against my choices.

Beagle
14-12-2018, 09:04 AM
WOW...you know its been a brutally tough year in the market when the top performer of over 170 entrants is up a modest 25%.

winner69
14-12-2018, 09:07 AM
WOW...you know its been a brutally tough year in the market when the top performer of over 170 entrants is up a modest 25%.

What’s the average I wonder

No need for me look through the whole list ...Sylvester kindly posted the top 5

Oliver Mander
14-12-2018, 10:13 AM
What’s the average I wonder

No need for me look through the whole list ...Sylvester kindly posted the top 5

Are you trying to say that you are 'winning" in the top 5?

The average return for the 178 entrants is a brutal 0.6%.

Oliver Mander
14-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Coupe of other fixes that will appear in the next update:
1) Have fixed ARV share price on June 18th - that was causing a weird downwards spike for those of us who picked it (no change overall, just that one date)
2) Have fixed the graph to show dates properly (had not realised, sorry about that)
3) Have put the ranking column back in the webpage (for some reason, the webpage had pushed it out).

No great changes, but tidies it up a bit.

Snoopy
14-12-2018, 12:36 PM
good on ya Snoopy, but would have thought he real plaudits go to those who are in 1st place!!!

From a strict perspective, viewing this as a competition on its own, you have a point. However, I don't think you would find a single investment advisor that would tell you to put all your money in the market on 1st January and pull it out on 31st December. So I prefer to look at this competition, which I must add I appreciate your hard work organizing Sylvester, as one year of a multi year strategy. I also put my money where my mouth is. So that means my competition returns are a fair representation of my actual returns over the period.

From a pure winning the competition perspective, the best strategy would be to pick your five hottest growth shares as your entry. But in the competition there is no actual loss risk to fictional capital. So I suspect many of the high performing entries bear very little reality to the shares those punters actually hold. Good on them for 'winning'. But winning a competition with a fictional entry is of no interest at all to me. I do find the competition very useful for keeping track of my portfolio through the year though!

This is all about learning. If you blow your own trumpet, you're closing your mind off to the possibility that others might have better ideas in terms of their investment selections.

Not at all. I am happy to hear other peoples ideas. But most stick in their competition entries and we fellow entrants are none the wiser as to what the strategy behind the picks is. If you go back to my entry I think I did explain why I picked what I did in advance.

What's the old saying...pride before a fall? I like to say that hubris prevents learning as well.

I have put up my performance, which I am happy with. If others have done better over the six years, then they are very welcome to paint their own picture.

SNOOPY

Oliver Mander
14-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Wrong. So wrong. A loss cannot exceed the input. A total loss is 100%, No more. ( unless, as you say, you add to input. Which is not happening here. )
Statistics makes monkeys of many people. One of my pet hates, because is happens often, is the political polls when reported by
the media chooks, is a statement along the lines off " the xyz party is polling below the margin of error ". Must have failed math
at school ( and off sick for stats class ) hence became a journo.

"It makes no difference in terms of your individual "picks portfolio" though"
is simply not true. a non existent additional loss is added. In this case -8%

Regardless of the philosophy...(and we defintely agree that its only if you put more in!)...

The actual way the picks portfolios are calculated is on actual value on the portfolio - I've checked. So its comparing a total with a total and giving a percentage difference. Its NOT trying to "weight" the %age difference of -108%! So in your case...

- you started with $10k
- your total return, including dividends, is -$875.72
- your %age difference is -8.75% for the first 11 months of the year
- if you kept losing $ at that rate, your annualised loss is 9.5%.

So that's what i mean when i say the actual calculation, and your ranking, is correct as it is based on actual values.
Of course, at the end of the year, the annualised value and the actual return become the same figure anyway.

Enter username

greater fool

Overall Rank
out of

Weight
Initial Investment
Shares
Open price
Close price
Close Investment
Dividends received
Rights Issue value
Total $ Return
%age
annualised %age

Pick 1
CBL
20%
$2,000
$3.040
$0.001
$1
$0.00
$0.00
-$1,999.34
-100.0%
-108.6%

Pick 2
MCK
20%
$2,000
$2.730
$3.040
$2,227
$43.96
$0.00
$271.06
13.6%
14.7%

Pick 3
NWF
20%
$2,000
$0.146
$0.155
$2,123
$0.00
$0.00
$123.29
6.2%
6.7%

Pick 4
OCA
20%
$2,000
$1.050
$1.140
$2,171
$89.52
$0.00
$260.95
13.0%
14.2%

Pick 5
SPK
20%
$2,000
$3.630
$4.230
$2,331
$137.74
$0.00
$468.32
23.4%
25.4%

$10,000

$8,853
$271.22
$0.00
-$875.72
-8.8%
-9.5%

Oliver Mander
17-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Updated results for December 14th now available.
I have taken into account greater fools comments above - so the loss on an individual share limited to 100% for the annualised percentage, and the portfolio annualised return %age adjusted accordingly. It makes no difference on Dec 31st, but its a fair enough change to make in the context of not tipping in more capital...

And yes - we have yet another new leader!! Well done VR, return of close to 30% looking pretty good! Of interest is...
- Craig's Investment Partners is in 8th place, a long way ahead of other Broker's picks.
- Our average this year is an eye-watering MINUS 1%!!!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Vr
PLX
AIR
ATM
WHS
MVN
$10,000
$12,416
$437
$0
$2,853
28.5%
29.8%

RGR367
ATM
BLT
OHE
RAK
SKO
$10,000
$12,304
$0
$0
$2,304
23.0%
24.0%

Pending
PPH
ATM
SKO
IKE
WDT
$10,000
$12,283
$0
$0
$2,283
22.8%
23.8%

chinesekiwi
OCA
VGL
PLX
ARV
FNZ
$10,000
$11,846
$262
$0
$2,108
21.1%
22.0%

t.rexjr
IKE
NTL
RBC
SKO
TWR
$10,000
$11,811
$0
$0
$1,811
18.1%
18.9%

Full results are available ont he usual website... https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...icks-2018/home (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/home)

Beagle
17-12-2018, 01:45 PM
What a tough year...medium return for spot 85 is just 0.1%. Top quartile starts at position 42 at just 7.3% total return.

winner69
17-12-2018, 01:53 PM
What a tough year...medium return for spot 85 is just 0.1%. Top quartile starts at position 42 at just 7.3% total return.

Sort of returns one expects when you buy a market that’s ridiculously overvalued — history shows buy when PEs are high (market and individual stocks) future returns always disappoint. That’s how markets go.

Median return 0.1% is pretty good in these circumstances

NZX50 PE still higher than at beginning of year even though earnings trend not looking too good. That doesn’t bode well for 2019 does it

winner69
17-12-2018, 02:03 PM
SHARETRADER TOP 5 shows a pretty dismal oerformance considering how we all think we are so great etc etc etc

What do they say about the collective wisdom of crowds (the wise ones)?

Beagle
17-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Sort of returns one expects when you buy a market that’s ridiculously overvalued — history shows buy when PEs are high (market and individual stocks) future returns always disappoint. That’s how markets go.

Median return 0.1% is pretty good in these circumstances

NZX50 PE still higher than at beginning of year even though earnings trend not looking too good. That doesn’t bode well for 2019 does it

No its pretty ominous. We are fortunate in N.Z. to have a high dividend yield by international standards and a good imputation system which allows the selection of a number of defensive high yield shares with the aim to achieve a top quartile return like that 7.3% without the need for capital gain.

Jay
17-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Though remember we can't sell those we "hold" in the comp:eek2:

Snoopy
17-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Good 'battle of the beagles' shaping up here. The other Beagle made a stellar start and has now embarked on an end of year retreat. This Beagle stumbled along nearly tracking the index until the October volatility started. Then the index dropped away and I didn't. So I am now up to 24th place only one spot behind the other Beagle. The index has recovered to +5.5% for the year and I am at +12.2%. So I am now looking at a 7.1% percentage point out-performance of the index.

It is the mid December update and in dollar terms I have suffered (now only up 11.7% for the year). But in relative terms I am pulling ahead. Now up to 18th place (an all time high) with the other Beagle down at p41 (although +7% in this market is still a creditable performance) . NZX50 now down to a 3.9% gain for the year. So I am now 7.8 percentage points up on the index. Spookily I am now right on the tail of the 'Not Roger' entry at p17. Can I pull ahead of this honorary third Beagle before the year clicks over? Who would have picked Spark to be my best performer of the year!

SNOOPY

winner69
17-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Snoopy me ol’ mate

Surely ‘Spookily’ is meant to be ‘Snoopily’

Thanks to Sylvester posting the Top 5 I don’t need to go the full list ....improved position as well In December ...that’s spooky

Beagle
17-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Though remember we can't sell those we "hold" in the comp:eek2:

Buy and hold not working too well in this market.

Beagle
17-12-2018, 05:54 PM
It is the mid December update and in dollar terms I have suffered (now only up 11.7% for the year). But in relative terms I am pulling ahead. Now up to 18th place (an all time high) with the other Beagle down at p41 (although +7% in this market is still a creditable performance) . NZX50 now down to a 3.9% gain for the year. So I am now 7.8 percentage points up on the index. Spookily I am now right on the tail of the 'Not Roger' entry at p17. Can I pull ahead of this honorary third Beagle before the year clicks over? Who would have picked Spark to be my best performer of the year!

SNOOPY
Woof, woof, well done. Now the year is almost over I will let the "cat" out of the bag so to speak with who is this mythical other beagle called "Not Roger Honest"
Its former legendary poster on here Crackity my old mate who cheekily almost picked exactly the same stocks as me and has a wonderful sense of humour including for instance calling his jet black colored old dog "Snowy" Well done Crackers !

dodgy
19-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Hi Mr Beagle and all,
Happy holidays!
Can anyone please send me a link to the competition results as I have been unable to see all year and wish to put myself out of my misery.
Thanks,
-dodgy

thestg
19-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Hi Mr Beagle and all,
Happy holidays!
Can anyone please send me a link to the competition results as I have been unable to see all year and wish to put myself out of my misery.
Thanks,
-dodgy
https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/overall-result

dodgy
19-12-2018, 04:26 PM
https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/overall-result

Thanks, -dodgy (brucey09 in competition)

Jerry
23-12-2018, 09:45 AM
Can we have a screen split this year so the results scroll past the headings, please? Some of us are so far down... :scared:

Oliver Mander
24-12-2018, 09:45 AM
Can we have a screen split this year so the results scroll past the headings, please? Some of us are so far down... :scared:

No worries!
Will run the update heading into the last week sometime boxing day...and then the close sometime on Jan 3rd!
And if you're not int he 2019 comp yet...ENTER!!! Only 40 entires so far, want to spread the love and learning far and wide :-)

Oliver Mander
29-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Hi all...

Results to December 21st are out...pending a miracle on Monday, or when I find any obvious errors I have made, looks like VR will take it out with a return of around 30% - 10% clear of Chinesekiwi and RGR367. Final results will be out shortly after trading close...perhaps with some "sylvesteralysis" to go with it!

Full results are at https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...overall-result (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/overall-result). Remember, you can navigate to the "Individual" page for more detail, or enter your username up the top on the main page - that will bring up your results compared to the NZX.

Still plenty of time to enter the 2019 competition too!!

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Vr
PLX
AIR
ATM
WHS
MVN
$10,000
$12,496
$437
$0
$2,933
29.3%
30.0%

chinesekiwi
OCA
VGL
PLX
ARV
FNZ
$10,000
$11,724
$262
$0
$1,986
19.9%
20.3%

RGR367
ATM
BLT
OHE
RAK
SKO
$10,000
$11,964
$0
$0
$1,964
19.6%
20.1%

hamish
30-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Hoping I can maintain last position with the 'anti' share picks... With everything so volatile and many of perennial underperformed well doen.. Hard to find 5 clear cut 'anti shares for 2019...

Oliver Mander
02-01-2019, 08:03 PM
Well, here are the END RESULTS FOR 2018!
A huge congratulations to VR who shamed us all with a total return of 35%. PLX, ATM and a well-timed takeover of MVN were the winners on the day....

Username
Pick 1
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 4
Pick 5
Opening Investment
Closing Investment
add Dividends
add Rights Issue
TOTAL $ RETURN
TOTAL %AGE
TOTAL Annualised %age
Rank

Vr
PLX
AIR
ATM
WHS
MVN
$10,000
$13,078
$437
$0
$3,515
35.2%
35.0%

RGR367
ATM
BLT
OHE
RAK
SKO
$10,000
$12,618
$0
$0
$2,618
26.2%
26.0%

Pending
PPH
ATM
SKO
IKE
WDT
$10,000
$12,602
$0
$0
$2,602
26.0%
25.9%

An honourable mention to lawnmower man, who in his first year has turned up a creditable 13th, and led the pack for much of the year. This purring puss had a strong finish to the year also, ending in 12th place. Also congratulations to hamish, who maintained his 'anti' picks, cleaning up last place by a considerable margin.

A few useful stats and / or questions....
1 - NZX return of 4.9% achieved 59th place - meaning only a third of us beat the market, with what is essentially a 'buy and hold' strategy. So is it "safer" to invest in passive funds, knowing that some years you'll be ahead or behind with an "active" strategy?
2 - The shares we loved the most - the "Sharetrader Top 5" - came in at 99th place. Oh dear...collective wisdom perhaps not the way forward?
3 - Only 2 Sharebroking firms 'beat the market' - Craigs with a creditable 18.1% return (8th place) and MSL with 7.1% (46th place).
4 - Our average return was a poor NEGATIVE 0.5%!

The full list of results is attached in the usual place....https://sites.google.com/view/sharet...overall-result (https://sites.google.com/view/sharetrader-picks-2018/overall-result).

Will try to make this a bit easier to read for the 2019 comp.

Here's to a fruitful 2019 for all of us :scared:!

winner69
02-01-2019, 08:18 PM
well done sylvestercat, good effort

glad you posted only a few ...saved me the effort going to the results website

Beagle
02-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Woof woof, thanks heaps purring puss. Congrats to all who beat the NZX50 index.

Jerry
02-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Sylvester for a fun comp. I think some of us are probably willing to 'take a punt' on shares we would not risk real money on.

Xerof
02-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Woof, woof, well done. Now the year is almost over I will let the "cat" out of the bag so to speak with who is this mythical other beagle called "Not Roger Honest"
Its former legendary poster on here Crackity my old mate who cheekily almost picked exactly the same stocks as me and has a wonderful sense of humour including for instance calling his jet black colored old dog "Snowy" Well done Crackers !

Well, your old mate Crackity had you barking up the wrong tree then, as there is also an entry under his name. Two licks of the food bowl eh?:D

Beagle
03-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Well, your old mate Crackity had you barking up the wrong tree then, as there is also an entry under his name. Two licks of the food bowl eh?:D

One lick for each old mutt :)

Peter Huljich
15-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Hi SC... just wondering if you could post the results here as the link isn't working? Thanks! PH

nextbigthing
15-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Hi SC... just wondering if you could post the results here as the link isn't working? Thanks! PH

Hi Peter,

Cheers,
NBT

Oliver Mander
16-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Sorry Peter - try the new 2018 link, i've migrated it to that and deleted the other site.
https://sites.google.com/view/nzsharepicks/2018-results

Peter Huljich
17-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Thanks so much! P