PDA

View Full Version : Appealing a rates assesment

traineeinvestor
07-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know (1) the process for appealing the annual rates increase and (2) what it would take for the appeal to be successful?

The reason for asking is that I've just been hit with a 37.1% annual increase in rates on an average suburban house in Auckland – which is outrageous even by the standards of the ACC.

G on
08-08-2018, 10:01 AM
A call to ACC will get some answers. You might find that just objecting to it will have it reduced, BUT, my understanding is it is for you to prove that other similar properties have not had as high a rating as you and that yours is the exception.
Fight city hall anyone.
Good luck

08-08-2018, 10:23 AM
You won't change the rates unless you change the value of your property.

traineeinvestor
08-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. My understanding is that the window for appealing closed back in January and I am stuck with it.

The slightly less bad news is that I can increase the rent (currently below market) which will offset the cost.

stevo1
15-08-2018, 08:38 PM
I have appealed 2 times in the last 6 years and won to my valuation .However this year I appealed and may not.First of all you CANNOT appeal purely on the basis that the rates have increased.There must be valid reasons and in the past the true test would be in the high court with both parties standing their own costs.NOW however there seems to have been a change of rules in so much as now it goes before a committee with the applicant(me) paying the application fee.Where did that come from???The ACC corporation has increased rates by targeted levies and the fuel tax .In my case by 12.5% not including fuel tax.QV valuer was around yesterday to address valuation with tape measure and wanting to physically inspect I refused entry on the basis that unless all the other properties were inspected then I was being singled out for having the temerity to object(to which he replied he has the same powers as customs for entry) about then I offered to let my dog out(i do not own one).Got the usual BS that the valuations were worked out through statistical calculations. lies, damned lies, and statistics."Under law the valuations MUST be completed by the due date 1 July 2018.The ACC is playing loose and unlawfully in not doing so.The basis behind this is that by increasing the rates take is that they are at the top of their limit for borrowings if they increase the take then they can borrow more which will fall at the rate payers door forever into the future.The milling sheep of ratepayers are always there to be fleeced