PDA

View Full Version : Finding Instrinsic Value of Stock

DJMustard
23-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys,

I've been investing for about a year now and I've noticed a lot of members posting share price forecasts by calculating intrinsic value of the company. I assume most members are using some variation of a DCF model or using industry averages and multiples?

I'm keen to understand what people are using, and if anyone is willing to share DCF models they are using?

Much appreciated!

epower
23-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been investing for about a year now and I've noticed a lot of members posting share price forecasts by calculating intrinsic value of the company. I assume most members are using some variation of a DCF model or using industry averages and multiples?

I'm keen to understand what people are using, and if anyone is willing to share DCF models they are using?

Much appreciated!

I haven't invested in individual stocks for some time, but when I was 'value investing' I used a dividend discount model. I wanted a 15% return on invested capital over 5 years time so what I did was best guess a P/E ratio I thought was reasonable for the company to be valued at, a growth rate in earnings I thought was reasonable and dividend payout ratio compared to those earnings and then worked backwards to find a price that I thought I could earn 15% a year on.

Eg.

Earnings in 2018 are $1 and dividends are 50 cents per share. I expect earnings to grow at 8% a year and the dividend ratio to stay 50%

So in 2023, I expect earnings to be $1.47 at 8% growth. Lets say I expect the company to be valued at 16 P/E (147 x 16 = $23.52). In that time, I've earned dividends of;

54 in 2019
58 in 2020
63 in 2021
68 in 2022
73 in 2023

Totaling 317 cents. At 33% tax I'm left with 212 cents.

So in total I can expect to have $23.52 plus $2.12 in earnings ($25.64). If I back date that 5 years at 15% I want to pay no more than $12.75 to earn 15% return per year for 5 years. As current earnings are $1 in this pretend example, I want to pay 12.75 P/E or less.

There is margin or error of course, maybe I was a bit presumptuous in my 8% growth, or maybe the P/E won't ever get up to 16 again, or maybe the dividend will drop down to 30% payout for example, so you can build that in. My 'intrinsic value' is $12.75 but maybe I want a 20% margin of safety so I buy at ($12.75 X 0.8 = $10.20) or less.

But now I just invest in index funds. Much simpler! Good luck.