PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fund - CO2

silverblizzard888
08-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Its a long wait for a new listing, but we have a new one today. A Carbon Fund trading under CO2.

Salt’s Carbon Fund Debuts on the NZX
https://www.nzx.com/announcements/326505

Anyone have any interest or been following this?

Risk level rated by the Salt Funds: High

minimoke
08-11-2018, 09:35 AM
First time I can say I am ethically opposed to an investment opportunity. This wont see any of my cash.

silverblizzard888
08-11-2018, 09:38 AM
First time I can say I am ethically opposed to an investment opportunity. This wont see any of my cash.

I think I hold the same skepticism, not likely to jump in any time soon until it offers more clarity and results to show its a profitable offering. Given the lack of listings this has caught my interest, curious to see how it plays out over time.

horus1
08-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Surely it is a sure bet . Price of carbon will increase substantially over time .

minimoke
08-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Surely it is a sure bet . Price of carbon will increase substantially over time .Same was said of Cryptocurrencies

steveb
08-11-2018, 10:28 AM
not much interest on the market though

hardt
08-11-2018, 11:20 AM
The only thing Salt Funds have that could interest me... Why pay a management fee for a single commodity trade though, just DIY.

Are these the fellas that called A2 a nothing burger at £2 while pumping NZME as being an intelectuals play?

Onion
08-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Can you elaborate on your ethical opposition? Are you objecting to carbon trading, to Salt or to this fund?

traineeinvestor
08-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Given the history of failure of emission trading schemes (and new fads generally), it would take an awful lot of convincing before I put a cent of my money in this.

Sideshow Bob
08-11-2018, 02:38 PM
This part sounds promising:

From their website: https://www.carbonfund.co.nz/thefund/

"The fund is expected to help in the price discovery of carbon units."

Read - we're going to buy some carbon units, and using your money, then find out what they're worth - hopefully more, perhaps less.

minimoke
08-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Can you elaborate on your ethical opposition? Are you objecting to carbon trading, to Salt or to this fund?Carbon Trading - seems to me feeding off the fears of vulnerable, simple people

08-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Carbon Trading - seems to me feeding off the fears of vulnerable, simple people

That is my opinion as well. Just a money go round.

steveb
08-11-2018, 03:44 PM
more like a ponzi scheme if you ask me

ados_nz
08-11-2018, 03:55 PM

As long as the money goes back around into planting more trees then its fine. However, this has not historically been the case and a fund holding NZU's for price speculation reasons does not bode well to actually helping NZ meet its climate change commitments.

Snow Leopard
08-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Same was said of Cryptocurrencies

Just for you mini : Carboncoin
(https://carboncoin.cc/)

haewai
08-11-2018, 09:34 PM
As long as the money goes back around into planting more trees then its fine. However, this has not historically been the case and a fund holding NZU's for price speculation reasons does not bode well to actually helping NZ meet its climate change commitments.

Doesn't bode anything I think. Already plenty of investors making the same guesses. I expect banks and gentailers have trading holdings, using other forms of capital.

black knat
23-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Anyone else following this fund which tracks the price of NZ carbon units?

Has been a good run up in the price of NZUs (which the fund holds) this year with the fixed price purchase option moving from $25 to $35. Has to be more to come in 2021 and onwards with the start of cap and trade, the new auction system and price controls starting at an upper level of $50 for 2021. First auction set for March and looks good barring major policy changes from govt.

Arthur
23-09-2020, 12:22 PM
You can buy and sell on nzx or buy direct from Salt, which enables a virtuous circle. It has been a great investment so far.