PDA

View Full Version : Good Reads

percy
09-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Billion Dollar Whale by Tom Wright and Bradley Hope.Published in 2018 by Hachette.isbn.9780316490672.
The story of Jho Low's investment fraud,involving The Prime Minister of Malaysia,Goldman Sachs,and many other banks and shady polictical figures,as well as Hollywood stars.Proves that where greed is king,principals and decency go out the window.Take care as he may still have $260mil of assets in trusts in NZ.
I throughly enjoyed a good read.Thank you ChCh City Library for acquiring this book.

percy
09-11-2018, 05:32 PM
In a House of Lies,by Ian Rankin,published in 2018 by Orion,isbn.9781409176886.
Great having the team back including "retired" John Rebus.I do n't know whether it is because I have not read Ian Rankin for some time,but surely this must be about his best.Lies,lies, infact everbody is telling lies,but in the end Rebus by being the master liar, funds the truth.! Another good read.
My rating.another 10 out of 10....[Loved it so much I thought of giving it a 12 out of 10].

Bobdn
09-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Billion Dollar Whale by Tom Wright and Bradley Hope.Published in 2018 by Hachette.isbn.9780316490672.
The story of Jho Low's investment fraud,involving The Prime Minister of Malaysia,Goldman Sachs,and many other banks and shady polictical figures,as well as Hollywood stars.Proves that where greed is king,principals and decency go out the window.Take care as he may still have $260mil of assets in trusts in NZ.
I throughly enjoyed a good read.Thank you ChCh City Library for acquiring this book.

Will check this out thanks.

Loved this books:

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Blood-Secrets-Silicon-Startup/dp/152473165X

"In 2014, Theranos founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes was widely seen as the female Steve Jobs: a brilliant Stanford dropout whose startup "unicorn" promised to revolutionize the medical industry with a machine that would make blood testing significantly faster and easier. Backed by investors such as Larry Ellison and Tim Draper, Theranos sold shares in a fundraising round that valued the company at more than $9 billion, putting Holmes's worth at an estimated $4.7 billion. There was just one problem: The technology didn't work."

winner69
10-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Percy, you read any Alan Furst.

Mainly spy novels but well written, fast paced and easy to read

Last one I read was Spies of the Balkans, one of Night Soldiers series

percy
10-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Percy, you read any Alan Furst.

Mainly spy novels but well written, fast paced and easy to read

Last one I read was Spies of the Balkans, one of Night Soldiers series

Alan Furst is one of my favourite authors.
Charles Cumming also writes similar good spies books.
Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther stories are a must read.Try to read them in order.Starts before the 2nd WW.Bernie is a Berlin detective.Historical novels.
Stuart McBride is the poor man's Ian Rankin.Great gritty stories,with plenty of black humour.
Martin O'Brien writes good French detective stories based in the South of France.
Martin Walker also writes French detective stories.A bit light weight,however I enjoyed them.
Other authors I have enjoyed are ;William Ryan,David Mark,Michael Russell,Benjamin Black,Lars Kepler, Peter May,Peter Robinson,and Jo Nesbo,although I gave up on his latest, MacBeth, as I found it too depressing..

winner69
10-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Alan Furst is one of my favourite authors.
Charles Cumming also writes similar good spies books.
Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther stories are a must read.Try to read them in order.Starts before the 2nd WW.Bernie is a Berlin detective.Historical novels.
Stuart McBride is the poor man's Ian Rankin.Great gritty stories,with plenty of black humour.
Martin O'Brien writes good French detective stories based in the South of France.
Martin Walker also writes French detective stories.A bit light weight,however I enjoyed them.
Other authors I have enjoyed are ;William Ryan,David Mark,Michael Russell,Benjamin Black,Lars Kepler, Peter May,Peter Robinson,and Jo Nesbo,although I gave up on his latest, MacBeth, as I found it too depressing..

Might try out Stuart McBride .....sounds interesting

percy
10-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Might try out Stuart McBride .....sounds interesting

Try to read them in order.
Cold Granite,Dying Light,Broken Skin,Flesh House,Blind Eye,Dark Blood,Shatter the Bones,Close to the Bone,Missing and the Dead,In the Cold Dark Ground,and the Blood Road.

macduffy
10-11-2018, 02:52 PM
I'll second the enthusiasm for Alan Furst. Think I've read them all - except for the first, Night Soldiers. Put off by the size! I'll probably go back to it one day although I expect to find I've spoilt the experience through reading the others out of turn.

mccollr
10-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Try to read them in order.
Cold Granite,Dying Light,Broken Skin,Flesh House,Blind Eye,Dark Blood,Shatter the Bones,Close to the Bone,Missing and the Dead,In the Cold Dark Ground,and the Blood Road.

For those that prefer audio books. http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/logan-mcrae-books-1-10-ash-henderson-books-12-stuart-macbride/

percy
11-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Just remembered a jolly good read.Something a bit different but well worth reading.
The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow.isbn.9780099509455.
And two more excellent authors;Gerald Seymour and John Lawton's Inspector Troy series,again best read in order. .

westerly
11-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Just remembered a jolly good read.Something a bit different but well worth reading.
The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow.isbn.9780099509455.
And two more excellent authors;Gerald Seymour and John Lawton's Inspector Troy series,again best read in order. .

Olen Steinhauer, Bernard Minier and Dan Fesperman are also worth a look.

westerly

Jay
12-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Kieran :)

Joshuatree
12-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Pretty well any book by Cormac Mccarthy esp The Road , No Country For Old Men (great movies too). Gripping , cant put them down.

Also "Lonesome Dove" trilogy by Larry McMurtry classic epic western

percy
19-12-2018, 11:28 AM

westerly

Thank you for introducing me to these authors.

I really enjoyed The Circle by Bernard Minier,and Safe House by Dan Fesperman I could not put down.Have The Arms Maker of Berlin on order.
Picked up The Middle Man by Olen Steinhauer this morning as well as Midnight Sun by Jo Nesbo.[not sure if I have already read it.]

Joshuatree
19-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Reading "Sapiens a Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari. This is brilliant, stimulating, informative, factual, challenging, accessible easy to read full of fascinating facts and stuff

winner69
19-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Found a Bernard Minier “Don’t Turn out the Lights” at the Tip Shop yesterday .....cost 50 cents

Very busy was the Tip Shop with plenty if Xmas presents being bought

percy
19-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Love it.!!

Schrodinger
09-01-2019, 10:40 AM
The Art of Execution

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Execution-worlds-investors-millions/dp/085719495X

Love this book as it talks about ways to sell. Also goes into trading personas.

peat
10-01-2019, 01:10 AM
currently reading aloud (to my Mum) Kane and Abel by Jefferey Archer. Its a story of two boys with nothing in common except being born on the same day in 1906, and how their live eventually entwine as they climb to their fortunes.

We've just got past the 1929 crash bit (gulp)

[*=1]Kane and Abel is a 1979 novel by British author Jeffrey Archer.
[*=1]It reached No. 1 on the New York Times best-seller list.
[*=1]Kane & Abel is among the top 100 list of best-selling books (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books) in the world

percy
20-01-2019, 08:13 PM
I enjoyed Jeffery Archer's books.Always a good read.
Recent books I have read;
The Shadow Killer by Arnaldur Indidason.Set in Iceland in 1941.I enjoyed it.
The Syndicate,by Guy Bolton.isbn.9781786074317.Mobsters,Bugsey Siegel's murder.I could not put it down.Great read.
Past Tense,by Lee Child.Yes it moves along.Usual number killed.
The Reckoning by John Grisham.Well Grisham has let his fans down with this one,.

Jay
20-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Recent books I have read; ...

The Reckoning by John Grisham.Well Grisham has let his fans down with this one,.
Don't tell me that, I have not read it yet, have it to read, Liked all his books except Painted House, the one where he stepped away from his main story telling "theme"

percy
20-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Don't tell me that, I have not read it yet, have it to read, Liked all his books except Painted House, the one where he stepped away from his main story telling "theme"

I look forward to your comments once you have read it.

Jay
21-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Will do percy, have another couple (non fiction) to get through first and am not a fast reader.

winner69
21-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Found a Bernard Minier “Don’t Turn out the Lights” at the Tip Shop yesterday .....cost 50 cents

“Don’t Turn out the Lights” was quite enjoyable

Took it back to the Tip Shop for somebody else to enjoy

While there bought a book on the history of lighthouses built on rocks around the UK.....”Seashaken Houses” for 50 cents. Really fascinating how they built some of them.

percy
30-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Well the last couple of weeks have been a disaster for me.Ordered a book I have already read.Getting other books out I have already read,and giving up on a number of books,including one by Peter James,"Absolute Proof". Have not returned it yet,so may try again.
Luckily I have enjoyed Barry Maitland's; The Raven's Eye.
Have three more books out from the library including another by Barry Maitland,so will see how they go.

westerly
30-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Well the last couple of weeks have been a disaster for me.Ordered a book I have already read.Getting other books out I have already read,and giving up on a number of books,including one by Peter James,"Absolute Proof". Have not returned it yet,so may try again.
Luckily I have enjoyed Barry Maitland's; The Raven's Eye.
Have three more books out from the library including another by Barry Maitland,so will see how they go.

Derek B Miller has written a couple of good stories. "Norwegian by Night" and and "American by Day "
westerly

Jay
27-02-2019, 08:11 AM

OK have read it now, yes perhaps he should keep to his "expertise", didn't know I was going to get a war story in the middle.
OK overall, granted not his best work ever and as I said the middle was too long and drawn out in my view

percy
27-02-2019, 08:55 PM
OK have read it now, yes perhaps he should keep to his "expertise", didn't know I was going to get a war story in the middle.
OK overall, granted not his best work ever and as I said the middle was too long and drawn out in my view

Sorry I put you off it.Agree the war story was too much.
I am currently struggling with Gerald Seymour's Battle sight Zero.
Seems a good read but does not flow.
I have recently read two books by James MacManus; Midnight in Berlin, and Sleep in Peace tonight.
Enjoyed both,so will look to read more of his books.

winner69
12-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Really enjoying ‘99 Variations on a Proof’ by Philip Ording

peat
13-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Recent books I have read;
The Shadow Killer by Arnaldur Indidason.Set in Iceland in 1941.I enjoyed it.
The Syndicate,by Guy Bolton.isbn.9781786074317.Mobsters,Bugsey Siegel's murder.I could not put it down.Great read.
Past Tense,by Lee Child.Yes it moves along.Usual number killed.

I'm now onto reading aloud The Broker by John Grisham. I'm enjoying how it teaches me Italian hahah .

Waiuta
30-03-2019, 10:57 AM
House of Spies by Daniel Silva is a book I've enjoyed and the century trilogy by Ken Follett certainly puts history into perspective.

Sideshow Bob
10-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Read a couple of good reads recently - got cheap through Kindle's monthly deals (<$2 each), so good value.

Beneath a Scarlet Sky - Mark Sullivan. Story of Italian teenager Pino Lella, rebelling against the Germans at the end of WWII. Based on a true story, and Lella said that was '80-90% true'.

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hill - Robert Dugoni. Story of Sam Hill, who is born with ocular albinism and his journey through life.

Both easy reading, good stories and books want to keep reading the next page. Recommend.

percy
12-04-2019, 03:08 PM
House of Spies by Daniel Silva is a book I've enjoyed and the century trilogy by Ken Follett certainly puts history into perspective.

Thank you for bringing this author to my notice.
I decided to start with The Black Widow.A really great read thank you.

The Fox, by Frederick Forsyth is a good read.

winner69
15-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Really enjoyed ‘The Seabird's Cry: The Lives and Loves of the Planet's Great Ocean Voyagers’ by Adam Nicolson

Waiuta
15-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Thank you for bringing this author to my notice.
I decided to start with The Black Widow.A really great read thank you.

The Fox, by Frederick Forsyth is a good read.

I was given House of Spies so after reading that I read The English Spy which is written in a similar vane. I then read The Heist but didn't find it quite as enthralling.

I enjoyed The Syndicate by Guy Bolton you suggested Percy and on another note you may enjoy Judi Dench's latest film 'Red Joan'

blackcap
15-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Really enjoyed "The Strange Death of Europe" by Douglas Murray.

Easy to read and he raises some interesting conundrums to do with immigration and reproduction and how Europe wants to identify itself going forward from a cultural perspective. What does it mean to be European? How has this changed over time? Is Europe a place for the world? What is European culture?

percy
29-04-2019, 12:40 PM
I was given House of Spies so after reading that I read The English Spy which is written in a similar vane. I then read The Heist but didn't find it quite as enthralling.

I enjoyed The Syndicate by Guy Bolton you suggested Percy and on another note you may enjoy Judi Dench's latest film 'Red Joan'

Have now read House of Spies and The Other Woman,and The Black Widow by Daniel Silva.All great reads.
Will take a break with John Sandford's Holy Ghost before reading more of Silva's.
Also look forward to getting hold of The Border by Don Winslow sometime.

percy
07-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Well Holy Ghost by John Sandford was a disappointment.Like the character Virgil Flowers.Usually good reads.
Just finished The Last Refuge by Craig Robertson.A bit different style of writting.The story was set in The Faroe Islands, which I never knew existed.
Found google maps and general history of the islands very interesting. Ideal place for fish farming.!Eat your heart out NZK.

winner69
07-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Well Holy Ghost by John Sandford was a disappointment.Like the character Virgil Flowers.Usually good reads.
Just finished The Last Refuge by Craig Robertson.A bit different style of writting.The story was set in The Faroe Islands, which I never knew existed.
Found google maps and general history of the islands very interesting. Ideal place for fish farming.!Eat your heart out NZK.

Faroe Islands amazing place ...need to go back sometime

Beagle thinks flying into Queenstown is an experience landing on Faroe is really something

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AyqEv6jMOUA

percy
11-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Well Daniel Silva provided another good read with "The Messenger."

percy
24-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Been a marathon read but have just finished "The Border" by Don Winslow.
This is his third book about Mexican drugs,cartels,etc,after "The Power of the Dog" and "The Cartel".
Hard reads,but well worthwhile.

percy
29-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Just finished "All That's Dead" by one of my favourite authors Stuart MacBride.
A good read.

stones
29-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Just finished "All That's Dead" by one of my favourite authors Stuart MacBride.
A good read.
Stuart MacBride is hilarious and very descriptive etc. Tells a great story. One of my favourites as well.

percy
29-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Stuart MacBride is hilarious and very descriptive etc. Tells a great story. One of my favourites as well.

Have you tried any of the Bernie Gunther series by Phiip Kerr.?
Great reads.

stones
29-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Have you tried any of the Bernie Gunther series by Phiip Kerr.?
Great reads.
No but will check them out and give them a go. Thanks Percy

percy
15-06-2019, 09:35 AM

westerly
Been reading them,and enjoying them.
Just finished Dan Fesperman's "The Letter Writer" which was a great read.
No.2 daughter lent me Mick Herron's "Slow Horses" which she loved.I found it hard reading,just did not seem to flow for me.
"The Unknown KIMI Raikkonen" by Kari Hotakainen, would be the worst book on a Formula 1 champion I have read.

percy
21-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Just finished another great read.
Philip Kerr's "Metropolis" featuring Berlin detective, Bernie Gunther.
Although it is Philip Kerr's final book, it goes back to the start of Bernie's career as detective.

winner69
23-06-2019, 08:06 PM
This book attracted me at the dump shop so had to buy it (for a buck)

The Wizards of Ozymandias: Reflections on the Decline and Fall Paperback – Butler Shaffer

Preface includes this -

In his great poem "Ozymandias" Percy Shelley pictures for us the eponymous tyrant whose arrogance of power could not save him from historical oblivion. Ozymandias is a reminder of the fragile nature of every system—be it biological, institutional, or cosmic in character. As we are learning from the advanced course in history in which we seem now to be enrolled, this precariousness also applies to civilizations. It is difficult for intelligent minds to doubt that this current system is in the process of joining Ozymandias in the dust-bin of history.

The book is actually a series of essays so you can skip bits if it gets a bit heavy but good stuff about how arrogance often leads to oblivion

Finished it now ..will donate to the DCM (Inner City Ministry) book fair ...good cause

percy
23-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Started reading it tonight.
Given up at page 24..Will read Darkness, darkness by John Harvey.
Then will have another go at it.
"Darkness,darkness" was a good read.
Could not get into "Don't Turn Out The Lights".
Just finished "The Quiet Death of Thomas Quaid" by Craig Russell.Enjoyed it, so will look for more of his books.

kiora
24-07-2019, 05:40 AM
From Ray Dalio
"Identify the paradigm you’re in, examine if and how it is unsustainable, and visualize how the paradigm shift will transpire when that which is unsustainable stops."
"Though not always perfectly aligned, paradigm shifts have coincidently tended to happen around decade shifts—e.g., the 1920s were “roaring,” the 1930s were in “depression,” the 1970s were inflationary, the 1980s were disinflationary, etc"
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/paradigm-shifts-ray-dalio/

kiora
07-08-2019, 05:38 AM
This is so true
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/dd15a281-43d3-3756-b361-f748991a363d/illiquidity-will-amplify.html
One day the portfolio was worth $X
When a Tsunami hits its worth $X-10,20,30,40,50%?

So be careful when investing in illiquid stocks/investments They are only useful for very long term portfolio's and need to be liquidated well before their funds are needed

kiora
11-08-2019, 04:56 AM
Quotes I like from the Strawman
"future bear markets are considered a risk, whereas past bear markets are seen as an opportunity."
"that all of the best long-term gains come in spite of volatility, not in its absence."
Regarding stop losses
"force investors to lock in regular losses while (severely) limiting their potential returns. Oh, and they significantly increase trading costs (which is why brokers love them so much)."
"volatility is par for the course. It’s the unavoidable price of higher long-term returns. "

kiora
12-08-2019, 12:56 AM
Only invest in companies you trust.It means a lot for brand value
https://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/101100/ryan-greenaway-mcgrevy-benefits-interpersonal-trust-macro-political-benefits-who-do

percy
18-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Just finished The Reckoning by Yrsa Sigurdardottir.A good read.

kiora
28-12-2019, 10:26 PM
John Mauldin sees unnecessary bubbles and misallocation of capital
"My 2020 forecast issue, which you’ll see after the holiday break, I’m planning to call “The Decade of Living Dangerously.” Sometime in the middle to late 2020s we will see a Great Reset that profoundly changes everything you know about money and investing".
https://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/103135/john-mauldin-sees-unnecessary-bubbles-and-misallocation-capital-central-banks-strive

beetills
29-12-2019, 12:32 PM
I suppose if you continually predict that the collapse is coming,then you will be right sometime.
From what i have read his predictions or at least some of them have a chequered past.

percy
02-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Adam Brookes writes a good read.:
Spy Games follows on from Night Heron.
The Spy's daughter was also a good read.

percy
02-01-2020, 05:39 PM
"The Billion Dollar Bonfire" by Chris Lee.
A well researched and well written book about Alan Hubbard and South Canterbury Finance.
A must read by any one who follows the NZ sharemarket,finance companies and banks.

winner69
14-01-2020, 01:00 PM
Just finished The Bonanza King by Gregory Crouch and it was a fascinating read.

About Jay Gould who was one of the most ruthless of the so-called robber barons of America's Gilded Age. He gained his wealth through railroad stock manipulation, but it was his acquisition and control of Western Union, which had a near-monopoly on communications in that era, that caused Americans to tremble and view him as a threat to democracy itself

percy
06-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Have been reading some not very good books,However two books by Andrew Gross,The Saboteur, and Button Man were good reads.
Just finished "The Mobster's Lament" by Ray Celestin.Will read his other two books The Axeman's Jazz,and Dead Man's Blues.Anyone looking to read this author may be best to start with the The Axeman's Jazz as it is the first in the series.

percy
12-03-2020, 08:00 PM
The Moroccan Girl,by Charles Cumming,is a good read.

percy
17-08-2020, 06:29 PM
Just read two great reads.
Author John Lawton I have really enjoyed over the years.His latest "Hammer to Fall" is a cracker.Could not put it down, so read it too quickly.
Ian Rankin has a new book coming out on 29th September, called "A Song for the Dark Times." I was very lucky to get to borrow an advance "reading" copy.
Even in retirement Rebus is a great character.A good read.

percy
20-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Well I have been on Iceland reading and watching lately.
First of all following on You Tube "Itchy Boots", travel from Denmark to Iceland via Faroe Islands, and then tripping around Iceland on her motorcycle.
Then to round it off I really enjoyed "Gallows Rock" by YRSA Sigurdardottir isbn 978-1-473-69340-1.Best murder mystery I have read for awhile.

winner69
20-09-2020, 09:34 AM
Well I have been on Iceland reading and watching lately.
First of all following on You Tube "Itchy Boots", travel from Denmark to Iceland via Faroe Islands, and then tripping around Iceland on her motorcycle.
Then to round it off I really enjoyed "Gallows Rock" by YRSA Sigurdardottir isbn 978-1-473-69340-1.Best murder mystery I have read for awhile.

She sounds quite a character on her bike ."will look for that Iceland vid

Bikes not for me ....big 4 wheel drives .....at top of Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland one sunny day.

percy
20-09-2020, 10:34 AM
She sounds quite a character on her bike ."will look for that Iceland vid

Bikes not for me ....big 4 wheel drives .....at top of Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland one sunny day.

In the series "Itchy Boots" Patagonia to Alaska [series 2 ]the scenery in Argentina,Patagonia and Chile was outstanding.The glaziers were stunning.
Iceland starts via Faroe Islands Itchy Boots Series 3 eps 5.
I like her as she is game,sensible and well organised.Always interesting.

percy
14-11-2020, 09:32 PM
The Moroccan Girl,by Charles Cumming,is a good read.

Brought home another Charles Cumming book from the library;A Colder War.
Thought I had already read it.
What a wonderful surprise to find I had not.
A well crafted masterpiece.

percy
22-08-2022, 07:31 PM
Just read a cracker book.
A Killing in November,bySimon Mason.

Sideshow Bob
23-08-2022, 07:28 PM
Great thread to revive.

A good book recommendation never goes astray.....

Not read anything worth recommending of late. Got a box full to work through from the local Rotary club book sale. I'm sure I bought books I've read before....:confused:

percy
23-08-2022, 07:56 PM
Great thread to revive.

A good book recommendation never goes astray.....

Not read anything worth recommending of late. Got a box full to work through from the local Rotary club book sale. I'm sure I bought books I've read before....:confused:

I am told people buy books at the Rotary sales,read them, then donate them back to Rotary.
Therefore should you miss a good read this year it will turn up next year..
PS.Go to Wanaka library and ask for either Sue [the boss] or Deidre, and tell them I recommended "A Killer in November" by Simon Mason.

Sideshow Bob
24-08-2022, 07:43 AM
I am told people buy books at the Rotary sales,read them, then donate them back to Rotary.
Therefore should you miss a good read this year it will turn up next year..
PS.Go to Wanaka library and ask for either Sue [the boss] or Deidre, and tell them I recommended "A Killer in November" by Simon Mason.

Indeed - I have a big box on top of my beer fridge where they go back into ready to donate for next year - as well as any others I clean out.

Thanks for the recommendation Percy!

Waiuta
05-09-2022, 08:49 AM
I found The Chancellor,
The remarkable odyssey of Angela Merkel, by Kati Marton a very good read.

percy
26-12-2022, 03:37 PM
Just read another good read;

Dark Towers
Deutsche Bank, Donald Trump, and An Epic Trail of Destruction
Enrich, David, 1979-
(1 rating)
Book, 2020
eBook
Available
In Dark Towers, award-winning journalist David Enrich reveals the truth about Deutsche Bank and its epic path of devastation. Tracing the bank's history back to its propping up of a default-prone American developer in the 1880s, helping the Nazis build Auschwitz, and wooing Eastern Bloc authoritarians, he shows how in the 1990s, via a succession of hard-charging executives, Deutsche made a fateful decision to pursue Wall Street riches, often at the expense of ethics and the law. Soon, the bank was manipulating markets, violating international sanctions to aid terrorist regimes, scamming investors, defrauding regulators, and laundering money for Russian oligarchs. Ever desperate for an American foothold, Deutsche also started doing business with a self-promoting real estate magnate nearly every other bank in the world deemed too dangerous to touch: Donald Trump. Over the next twenty years, Deutsche executives loaned billions to Trump, the Kushner family, and an array of scandal-tarred clients, including convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Dark Towers is the never-before-told saga of how Deutsche Bank became the global face of financial recklessness and criminality, the corporate equivalent of a weapon of mass destruction. It is also the story of a man who was consumed by fear of what he'd seen at the bank and his son's obsessive search for the secrets he kept.Read le

whatsup
26-12-2022, 04:17 PM
"Red Notice", true story about how Putin stole all of the money in Russia and gave it to his mates after the deregulation of the Russian economy, reads like a novel. ***** a 5 star read !

percy
26-12-2022, 05:46 PM
"Red Notice", true story about how Putin stole all of the money in Russia and gave it to his mates after the deregulation of the Russian economy, reads like a novel. ***** a 5 star read !
Agree a great read.:
Red Notice
How I Became Putin's No. 1 Enemy
Browder, Bill, 1964-
(6 ratings)
Book, 2015
November 2009. An emaciated young lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky, is led to a freezing isolation cell in a Moscow prison, handcuffed to a bed rail, and beaten to death by eight police officers. His crime? To testify against the Russian Interior Ministry officials who were involved in a conspiracy to steal $230 million of taxes paid to the state by one of the world's most successful hedge funds. Magnitsky's brutal killing has remained uninvestigated and unpunished to this day. His farcical posthumous show-trial brought Putin's regime to a new low in the eyes of the international community. Red Notice is a searing expose of the wholesale whitewash by Russian authorities of Magnitsky's imprisonment and murder, slicing deep into the shadowy heart of the Kremlin to uncover its sordid truths. Bill Browder, the hedge fund manager who employed Magnitsky, takes us on his explosive journey from the heady world of finance in New York and London in the 1990s, through his battles with ruthless oligarchs in the turbulent landscape of post-Soviet Union Moscow, to his expulsion from Russia on Putin's orders. Browder's graphic portrait of the Russian government as a criminal enterprise wielding all the power of a sovereign state illuminates his personal transformation from financier to human rights activist, campaigning for justice for his late lawyer and friend. With fraud, bribery, corruption and torture exposed at every turn, Red Notice is a shocking but true political roller-coaster that plays out in the highest echelons of Western power.Read less

whatsup
27-12-2022, 12:04 PM
Agree a great read.:
Red Notice
How I Became Putin's No. 1 Enemy
Browder, Bill, 1964-
(6 ratings)
Book, 2015
November 2009. An emaciated young lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky, is led to a freezing isolation cell in a Moscow prison, handcuffed to a bed rail, and beaten to death by eight police officers. His crime? To testify against the Russian Interior Ministry officials who were involved in a conspiracy to steal $230 million of taxes paid to the state by one of the world's most successful hedge funds. Magnitsky's brutal killing has remained uninvestigated and unpunished to this day. His farcical posthumous show-trial brought Putin's regime to a new low in the eyes of the international community. Red Notice is a searing expose of the wholesale whitewash by Russian authorities of Magnitsky's imprisonment and murder, slicing deep into the shadowy heart of the Kremlin to uncover its sordid truths. Bill Browder, the hedge fund manager who employed Magnitsky, takes us on his explosive journey from the heady world of finance in New York and London in the 1990s, through his battles with ruthless oligarchs in the turbulent landscape of post-Soviet Union Moscow, to his expulsion from Russia on Putin's orders. Browder's graphic portrait of the Russian government as a criminal enterprise wielding all the power of a sovereign state illuminates his personal transformation from financier to human rights activist, campaigning for justice for his late lawyer and friend. With fraud, bribery, corruption and torture exposed at every turn, Red Notice is a shocking but true political roller-coaster that plays out in the highest echelons of Western power.Read less

Percy, As I have said a thousand times " the left is a lie " sad but true !!

justakiwi
27-12-2022, 05:03 PM
Can you just not! Go post your political BS in the political threads. You and your politically obsessed mates have already commandeered more than a few threads. There is no need to hijack the whole damned site! :mad ;:

Percy, As I have said a thousand times " the left is a lie " sad but true !!

winner69
28-12-2022, 09:06 AM
The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload by Daniel Levitin is a fascinating read

Amazing how much sugar the brain needs …uses about 20% of the body’s energy

whatsup
28-12-2022, 11:11 AM
Can you just not! Go post your political BS in the political threads. You and your politically obsessed mates have already commandeered more than a few threads. There is no need to hijack the whole damned site! :mad ;:

Kiwi, it the back bone of all lefty govts , lies , lies. lies, its just that Russia is leading the pack, that country is just a bigger lie !

justakiwi
28-12-2022, 11:17 AM
I don’t care. It has nothing​ to do with “Good Reads” which is the subject of this thread! Take it elsewhere please.

Kiwi, it the back bone of all lefty govts , lies , lies. lies, its just that Russia is leading the pack, that country is just a bigger lie !

percy
22-01-2023, 12:52 PM
Have just started reading ,Davos Man,by Peter S Goodman.isbn.978 0 06 323934 0
A bit of a wake up call for me.

The history of the last half century in America, Europe, and other major economies is in large part the story of wealth flowing upward. The most affluent people emerged from capitalism's triumph in the Cold War to loot the peace, depriving governments of the resources needed to serve their people, and leaving them tragically unprepared for the worst pandemic in a century. Drawing on decades of experience covering the global economy, award-winning journalist Peter S. Goodman profiles five representative "Davos Men" members of the billionaire class-chronicling how their shocking exploitation of the global pandemic has hastened a fifty-year trend of wealth centralization. Alongside this reporting, Goodman delivers textured portraits of those caught in Davos Man's wake, including a former steelworker in the American Midwest, a Bangladeshi migrant in Qatar, a Seattle doctor on the front lines of the fight against COVID, blue-collar workers in the tenements of Buenos Aires, an African immigrant in Sweden, a textile manufacturer in Italy, an Amazon warehouse employee in New York City, and more. Goodman's rollicking and revelatory expose of the global billionaire class reveals their hidden impact on nearly every aspect of modern society: widening wealth inequality, the rise of anti-democratic nationalism, the shrinking opportunity to earn a livable wage, the vulnerabilities of our health-care systems, access to affordable housing, unequal taxation, and even the quality of the shirt on your back. Meticulously reported yet compulsively readable, Davos Man is an essential read for anyone concerned about economic justice, the capacity of societies to grapple with their greatest challenges, and the sanctity of representative government.

winner69
22-01-2023, 02:00 PM
I’m looking forward to the Third Edition of “Confessions of an Economic Hitman” by John Perkins …..especially the new chapters on how China is using debt and fear to control natural resources in developing countries and other stuff.

percy
29-01-2023, 03:20 PM
Have just started reading ,Davos Man,by Peter S Goodman.isbn.978 0 06 323934 0
A bit of a wake up call for me.

The history of the last half century in America, Europe, and other major economies is in large part the story of wealth flowing upward. The most affluent people emerged from capitalism's triumph in the Cold War to loot the peace, depriving governments of the resources needed to serve their people, and leaving them tragically unprepared for the worst pandemic in a century. Drawing on decades of experience covering the global economy, award-winning journalist Peter S. Goodman profiles five representative "Davos Men" members of the billionaire class-chronicling how their shocking exploitation of the global pandemic has hastened a fifty-year trend of wealth centralization. Alongside this reporting, Goodman delivers textured portraits of those caught in Davos Man's wake, including a former steelworker in the American Midwest, a Bangladeshi migrant in Qatar, a Seattle doctor on the front lines of the fight against COVID, blue-collar workers in the tenements of Buenos Aires, an African immigrant in Sweden, a textile manufacturer in Italy, an Amazon warehouse employee in New York City, and more. Goodman's rollicking and revelatory expose of the global billionaire class reveals their hidden impact on nearly every aspect of modern society: widening wealth inequality, the rise of anti-democratic nationalism, the shrinking opportunity to earn a livable wage, the vulnerabilities of our health-care systems, access to affordable housing, unequal taxation, and even the quality of the shirt on your back. Meticulously reported yet compulsively readable, Davos Man is an essential read for anyone concerned about economic justice, the capacity of societies to grapple with their greatest challenges, and the sanctity of representative government.

Just finished reading Davos Man.
I you believe in tax cuts and less Government, this book may cause you to re think some of your ideas.
Certainly was a wake up call for me.

Valuegrowth
18-06-2023, 03:42 PM
https://www.kevinrooke.com/book-recommendations/bill-ackman

BOOKS RECOMMENDED BY BILL ACKMAN