PDA

View Full Version : A Sector to completly avoid ?

Beagle
21-11-2018, 11:18 AM
FBU with new headwinds in Australia and lower profit, MPG with its new major competitor and more restucturing to come ?, and STU who's directors think the company has massive worth but the market treats with derision and the failed takeover attempt arguably the biggest corporate fiasco in the last couple of months.

Which mutt has the least fleas and is any of them worth bringing into one's kennel at their current beaten down prices ?
This one a poll and no doubt a good robust debate to come :)

Joshuatree
21-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Will keep these esp FBU on the watch list. Picking the cycle near a bottom and a stock totally out of favour (like ZEL was but BRIEFLY , recently) it s time to buy will come. Or a takeover and breakup scenario.

minimoke
21-11-2018, 11:58 AM
OK. I'll play. FBU get my vote I reckon there are still loads of flea eggs waiting to hatch in its construction projects, with EQC exposure and with Fletcher Living. Take this for example $1.1m - $1.6 for apartments - you gotta be kidding mate! (I'd be checking the bathroom modules wernt left out in the rain) https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/property/108710531/First-of-900-central-Christchurch-homes-finished-priced-at-up-to-1-59m

Beagle
21-11-2018, 12:28 PM
OK. I'll play. FBU get my vote I reckon there are still loads of flea eggs waiting to hatch in its construction projects, with EQC exposure and with Fletcher Living. Take this for example $1.1m - $1.6 for apartments - you gotta be kidding mate! (I'd be checking the bathroom modules wernt left out in the rain) https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/property/108710531/First-of-900-central-Christchurch-homes-finished-priced-at-up-to-1-59m

Good on ya for playing mate. Fascinating post and link. I find Steve Evans statement very "creative". It will be interesting to see how these sell, or don't as the case may be.
Average price $1.38m, average size 191 sq metres, average asking price = $7,225 per sq metre. "Interesting" pricing. You'd know a lot more than I being down that way but I think Fletchers may find they need to give their pricing a multi hundred thousand dollar haircut to shift them.

Interesting tidbit from my client the other day (GM of one of the major Australian owned real estate agencies) Developers are starting to struggle to sell completed houses in Auckland now. Any thing priced unrealistically isn't moving. Some banks are making some developers rent new houses out to get cash flow to service their loans. Market turning down ? Implications for Fletcher residential margins going forward for N.Z. just like they announced for Australia yesterday ?

Timesurfer
21-11-2018, 12:34 PM
Not even a MorningStar upgrade is slowing the downward spiral with FBU

Valuation: $6.50
Accumulate
Last updated:20/11/18 No-Moat Fletcher Building Lowers Fiscal 2019 Guidance; FVE Unchanged and Shares Attractive

Beagle
21-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Not even a MorningStar upgrade is slowing the downward spiral with FBU

Valuation: $6.50
Accumulate
Last updated:20/11/18 No-Moat Fletcher Building Lowers Fiscal 2019 Guidance; FVE Unchanged and Shares Attractive

In my books that's a SELL then lol...seriously, if one follows all their recommendations...my goodness...good luck with that strategy !

Tweak
21-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Question(s). Noticed Beagle in your other post (OCA vs 3xMPG) you said poll for which mutt has the most fleas, where this one is for the least. So the way I read it basically is the votes are for if you had to buy one of the 4 which would it be? And mini are you saying you still think FBU has less fleas than say a Ukranian Levkoy cat? (had to google that one).

Disclaimer currently crying whilst holding on to my MPG shares.

Timesurfer
21-11-2018, 12:51 PM
In my books that's a SELL then lol...seriously, if one follows all their recommendations...my goodness...good luck with that strategy !
Can't say I have been tempted (to follow their strategy).
But with pedigree cats going for around $1k it is a tough poll!

Beagle
21-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Yes please note that I switched the frame of reference regarding flea quantity around. Which mutt has the least fleas is the question and in effect which one would you buy if you had to choose one, (assuming you had enough flea powder on hand, AKA prepared to weather the storm).

I'm a dog person but I think I'd be looking for a good pedigree ragdoll cat.

minimoke
21-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Good on ya for playing mate. Fascinating post and link. I find Steve Evans statement very "creative". It will be interesting to see how these sell, or don't as the case may be.
Average price $1.38m, average size 191 sq metres, average asking price = $7,225 per sq metre. Call me fussy, but for that kind of money I expect a toilet roll holder in the upstairs bathroom (Yes there is a toilet in the bathroom - yukl! And do they really need 4 toilets?) As for the heat pump over the TV directing at straight onto you, for that kind of money I expect under floor heating. And dont get me started on the three levels. Its supposed to be a home, not a stairwalker. There are so many poor design features in this place (Exposed sockets, odd TV spots) I wouldn't even bother with visiting on an open day - there is nothing of interest to spark a nosey at something with that kind of price tag.

Beagle
21-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Call me fussy, but for that kind of money I expect a toilet roll holder in the upstairs bathroom (Yes there is a toilet in the bathroom - yukl! And do they really need 4 toilets?) As for the heat pump over the TV directing at straight onto you, for that kind of money I expect under floor heating. And dont get me started on the three levels. Its supposed to be a home, not a stairwalker. There are so many poor design features in this place (Exposed sockets, odd TV spots) I wouldn't even bother with visiting on an open day - there is nothing of interest to spark a nosey at something with that kind of price tag.

I really don't know what they are thinking with that price ?????? You have every right to be really fussy with an average asking price of ~ $1.4m.
I know some units in Botany Downs up here of a similar ilk have just had a $300K haircut from their similar outrageous asking prices and still aren't selling.

minimoke
21-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Yes please note that I switched the frame of reference regarding flea quantity around. Which mutt has the least fleas is the question and in effect which one would you buy if you had to choose one, (assuming you had enough flea powder on hand, AKA prepared to weather the storm).

I'm a dog person but I think I'd be looking for a good pedigree ragdoll cat.

Oops - how do I change my vote to the cat? There isn't a barge pole long enough for me to touch FBU

Beagle
21-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Oops - how do I change my vote to the cat? There isn't a barge pole long enough for me to touch FBU

Can't change it mate but I recognized from the outset what you're thinking was. Agree 100%. Fletcher Residential, serious development margin compression...as sure as night follows day.

winner69
21-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Mini voted FBU as best in breed ......quite funny

Might just be the right call

Scrunch
21-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Do the entrants for this poll mean the flea treatment has worked at cavalier?

minimoke
21-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Mini voted FBU as best in breed ......quite funny

Might just be the right callWhen faced with two opposing questions I answered the simplest. I was only handed some many comprehension genes and I dont like to waste them.

Disc - i detest cats (unless I am after a new pair of winter slippers) - but that would still be my preferred choice to bring home.

Beagle
21-11-2018, 01:38 PM
When faced with two opposing questions I answered the simplest. I was only handed some many comprehension genes and I dont like to waste them.

Disc - i detest cats (unless I am after a new pair of winter slippers) - but that would still be my preferred choice to bring home.

Just for you mate :D https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ragdole+cat&id=941A93B79B1AD58CB4003E67B54B04DB58879D80&FORM=IQFRBA

fungus pudding
21-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Just for you mate :D https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ragdole+cat&id=941A93B79B1AD58CB4003E67B54B04DB58879D80&FORM=IQFRBA

Donald Trump is probably the best judge of those images. He has previously claimed to have a special right to them due to his celebrity status.

minimoke
21-11-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm thinking something more like https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/03/dead-cat-skin-rug-for-sale-on-trade-me.html

peat
21-11-2018, 02:16 PM
what if I already have a ragdoll!! (which has no fleas at all)

actually come to think of it - she needs a playmate.

Lewylewylewy
21-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Fbu can't make money in a construction boom, i will always avoid.

GTM 3442
21-11-2018, 06:16 PM
I'd take the cat any day.

Dead cats bounce, I'm not so sure about dead dogs.

Beagle
21-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Fbu can't make money in a construction boom, i will always avoid.

David Price institutional broker for Forbar in today's market review on sharechat reported that FBU hit a 14 year low today of $4.70 and that market participants were concerned that seeing as it couldn't capitalize on a booming construction market that now that things are starting to cool down on both sides of the Tasman this is just the start of the earnings downturn for them. "I will always avoid" sum's the situation up very well as really FBU is the perennial underperformer.