PDA

View Full Version : clean investments

ananda77
05-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Government climate change announcement:
Dec 5, 2018 12:36 PM

Henry Cooke -
What you need to know:

The Government has announced the details of a $100m green investment fund.
The fund is part of a suite of measures aimed at helping our economy decarbonise over the next thirty years.
The fund will be set up as a proper company and will look to invest in startups that will help the fight against carbon.
Climate Change Minister James Shaw expects the fund to make money and to pull in more private capital than the Government itself puts forward.

Pepanz - the lobby group for the oil industry has chipped in with a statement:
The Government’s new Green Investment Finance project should be open to funding carbon capture and storage (CCS) projects, says the Petroleum Exploration and Production Association of New Zealand (PEPANZ).
"It’s unclear whether the fund will support this exciting technology, but it would be bizarre to exclude projects which can significantly reduce emissions," says PEPANZ CEO Cameron Madgwick.
"This technology is a reality today and can capture carbon emissions and store them underground.

minimoke
05-12-2018, 01:25 PM
And more About NZ Gren Investment Finance Ltd

New Zealand Green Investment Finance Ltd (NZGIF) is being established to accelerate low emissions investment in New Zealand.
As part of Budget 2018 the Government announced its intention to establish a Green Investment Fund. The establishment of New Zealand Green Investment Finance Ltd is part of the Government’s commitment to address climate change and support New Zealand’s transition towards a net-zero-emissions economy by 2050. It is part of a suite of policy initiatives including;

passing a Zero Carbon Act
amending New Zealand’s emissions trading scheme
establishing an independent Climate Change Commission
continuing New Zealand’s international efforts to ensure the integrity of the Paris Agreement

NZGIF will be formally established as a company under schedule four of the Public Finance Act 1989. This means it will operate independently from Government and allow it to work in a market responsive way.
The company will have a high degree of flexibility with respect to its where and how it invests, however it is expected that there will be opportunities in industrial process heat, transport, energy efficiency, distributed energy networks and agriculture.
The overall aim of NZGIF is to accelerate low emissions investment in New Zealand by focusing on the following four key objectives:

Make investments that lower domestic emissions
Crowd-in private finance
Make investments on a commercial basis
Undertake a market leadership role

minimoke
05-12-2018, 01:29 PM
An d a nice picture from Treasury

blackcap
05-12-2018, 02:59 PM
An d a nice picture from Treasury

That kind of S*** just explains all that is wrong with bureaucracy. Nice meaningless BULL **** pictures that add NIL value to anything.

minimoke
05-12-2018, 03:14 PM
I would have thought that if there were ideas out there that could support a commercial investment then the investments would already be being made.

I think this will just end up like Shane Jones slush fund - a chance for the Green party to hand out cash to win votes.

I'm willing to bet there will be no commercial return on this fund by 2050.

Joshuatree
05-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Love it the timing is right on for the times and a salute to Russell Norman.
"Such a fund was posed by the former Green Party co-leader Russel Norman, and taken up by the current co-leader James Shaw who re-announced it as party policy at the Greens' conference last year."
New $100m green fund launched by government (https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/377540/new-100m-green-fund-launched-by-government)

ananda77
05-12-2018, 04:14 PM
I would think, for NZ, an organic agricultural co-op producing value added agricultural products for export would qualify for support

whatsup
05-12-2018, 04:27 PM
If I remember correctly that years ago the Green Party invested their members super fund into a wind generator fund/company which has since been decimated because the technology didn't/couldn't work commercially, are/is this the same group that are now investing in similar theories with public money ?

minimoke
05-12-2018, 04:37 PM
I would think, for NZ, an organic agricultural co-op producing value added agricultural products for export would qualify for supportIt could. Except any loans need to be done on a commercial basis. Organics are high cost. Co-ops are fraught with difficulty. Agriculture is one of the worse green house gas emitters (apparently). And export would suggest shipping which uses one of the dirtiest fuels around.

I'm liking forestry. Great carbon capture, excellent opportunity for helping low skilled gt into work, great use of otherwise non productive land. End products can make paper bags and timber to replace steel. Oops - thats been tried already. What was teh cost of shredding those seedlings up north?

davflaws
05-12-2018, 04:54 PM
I found it informative. I was (briefly) a "senior" public servant, and I certainly couldn't have drawn a diagram showing what my agency did as clearly as that one does.

Joshuatree
05-12-2018, 04:58 PM
If I remember correctly that years ago the Green Party invested their members super fund into a wind generator fund/company which has since been decimated because the technology didn't/couldn't work commercially, are/is this the same group that are now investing in similar theories with public money ?

No idea but if it was NZ Wind farms and an associated company a lot of investors did their dough on that, NWF may have turned the corner now but thats no consolation for the many original investors that lost a hell of a lot. Lots more to look at and research here i really hope it stacks up.I would like to support and invest in this. Green investments are a fast growing sector for very obvious reasons.

Cecila Tarrant chairperson
David Woods board Director
Sir Rob fenwick ambassador for the fund

whatsup
05-12-2018, 05:03 PM
No idea but if it was NZ Wind farms and an associated company a lot of investors did their dough on that, NWF may have turned the corner now but thats no consolation for the many original investors that lost a hell of a lot. Lots more to look at and research here i really hope it stacks up.I would like to support and invest in this. Green investments are a fast growing sector for very obvious reasons.

Cecila Tarrant chairperson
David Woods board Director
Sir Rob fenwick ambassador for the fund

chairwomen !! ( no P C b s here please !! )

minimoke
05-12-2018, 05:04 PM
NGreen investments are a fast growing sector for very obvious reasons.

Investments such as?

blackcap
05-12-2018, 05:15 PM
chairwomen !! ( no P C b s here please !! )

What about just Chairman. That is the term for the guiding hand I believe. To even say chair person does not actually make any sense and chair woman is just ludicrous. The "man" in chairman is gender neutral in anyway and it has nothing to do with male or female but more the word hand which is neither male nor female.

As in "my partner, she is the chairman of the board."

whatsup
05-12-2018, 06:30 PM
What about just Chairman. That is the term for the guiding hand I believe. To even say chair person does not actually make any sense and chair woman is just ludicrous. The "man" in chairman is gender neutral in anyway and it has nothing to do with male or female but more the word hand which is neither male nor female.

As the 95 year old lady said years ago when someone addressed to her as "partner " she asked,, is that business, sporting or sexual ?

Zaphod
05-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Investing in green start-ups and recycling the profits? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

ananda77
05-12-2018, 07:31 PM
Anyway, I hope I can learn something in this thread from all those astute investors and I hope, we all can deal with this 'potential' investment opportunity in most constructive ways.
I know firsthand, that Green is growing strongly in Europe for example, having been managing one of Germany's biggest organic bakeries in München. The quality of the bread was absolutely outstanding, the marketing drive very close to customers and in a separate production facility for sweet stuff, the quality was to die for...and the prices charged out of this world

Zaphod
05-12-2018, 07:35 PM
What's your risk profile? If you're looking to invest in start-up's then it needs to be high. Also bear in mind that you are potentially competing in an international market-place, not just a domestic one.

ananda77
05-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Yes sure. Recently I've been in contact with a financial manager from China. The bank specialized in financing start-ups to IPO stage. According to the manager, IF 2 out of 10 make it, the pay-off is huge

mfd
05-12-2018, 08:17 PM

The correct terminology is straight forward. In the same way as Fireman becomes Firefighter, Chairman simply becomes Chairfighter.

minimoke
05-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Anyway, I hope I can learn something in this thread from all those astute investors and I hope, we all can deal with this 'potential' investment opportunity in most constructive ways.
I know firsthand, that Green is growing strongly in Europe for example, having been managing one of Germany's biggest organic bakeries in München. The quality of the bread was absolutely outstanding, the marketing drive very close to customers and in a separate production facility for sweet stuff, the quality was to die for...and the prices charged out of this worldI dont think that will count. First of all wheat is a by-product of agriculture. And Agriculture is a big no-no. Can't have tractors and harvesters burning fossil fuels. Second the bakery is a big no-no. Especially in Germany. Firstly because your ovens are large consumers of energy. Secondly because that energy comes from electricity via fossil fuels and nukes (my god - can you imagine the conniptions Jacinda would have if you suggested nuclear energy). Finally I cant see the Greens supporting products supplied to the high margin paying aristocracy - they are into wealth redistribution. Not spending wealth.

minimoke
05-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Yes sure. Recently I've been in contact with a financial manager from China. The bank specialized in financing start-ups to IPO stage. According to the manager, IF 2 out of 10 make it, the pay-off is hugein NZ, as at 2017

The survival rates of new enterprises (enterprise births) over a 10-year period showed that:

26 percent of all enterprises birthed in the February 2007 year survived until February 2017 (10-year survivors).
Agriculture, forestry, and fishing industry had the best 10-year survival rate of 36 percent.
34 percent of new enterprises in the health care and social assistance industry survived 10 years to February 2017.
The 10-year survival rate for the retail trade industry was 21 percent.

ananda77
05-12-2018, 09:01 PM
To conquer the unknown needs positiveness above all and a readiness to step out of learned conditioning.

minimoke
05-12-2018, 10:09 PM
To conquer the unknown needs positiveness above all and a readiness to step out of learned conditioning.These pithy wisdoms are worth little unless the business idea is at least carbon neutral.

ratkin
05-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Infratil are pretty big on clean energy/carbon, it one of their main investment strategies.Was just reading the annual report, more boring but much safer than investing in new startups etc just because they are green.

ananda77
05-12-2018, 11:01 PM
True.
Carbon neutrality, or having a net zero carbon footprint, refers to achieving net zero carbon emissions by balancing a measured amount of carbon released with an equivalent amount sequestered or offset, or buying enough carbon credits to make up the difference
It's not that difficult to run a business that way

minimoke
06-12-2018, 07:09 AM
True.
Carbon neutrality, or having a net zero carbon footprint, refers to achieving net zero carbon emissions by balancing a measured amount of carbon released with an equivalent amount sequestered or offset, or buying enough carbon credits to make up the difference
It's not that difficult to run a business that wayEmission trading Schemes bring in a whole new can of worms (that said Disc: Holder of RBC)