PDA

View Full Version : ASX Comp payout of donations poll >> donators vote please what do u want

JBmurc
14-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Now as we get quite a large amount of funds for the ASX comp from donators (posters in the comp putting their money where their mouth is on their 5x ASX picks)

We should really vote on the best form of paying out funds at the end ..

-keep it the same as 2018 comp or change for 2019 -- be great if we can get it sorted by the end of the month

#1-90% of funds to the Winner 10% to the runner-up > (non-donator wins then they get runner up prize with the highest placed donator getting 90%) and wooden spoon winner will win a second-hand investment book paid by myself.

#2-1st ,2nd,3rd and wooden spoon all get a share of the funds

#3 another payout plan

upside_umop
15-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Gidday JB,

Thanks for setting up - I voted another plan along the lines of something like:

1st - 60%, 2nd - 20%, third 10% and wooden spoon 10% of fund to a book such as intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham or if the person wants a less intense read, Snowball (biography on Warren Buffet) . On a $500 pot (after paying wiz for data subscription), this would look like.

1st - $300, 2nd - $100, third $50 and wooden spoon $50 towards a good book.

If people tend to donate most of their first prize, the % means allocated to first prize becomes less relevant and makes sense to spread around IMO.

15-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Jb can we assume that what ever system is selected that wiz will be paid out first?

wizAlvin
15-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Jb can we assume that what ever system is selected that wiz will be paid out first?

the only remuneration i would be interested in is for the data. In fact if someone was getting ASX daily data and could share for the competition that would do me as i do not trade shares. The building of the software has been my hobby since 1958 and work beginning 1977. thanks 777. it would be better if an acct for cooltrader could be set up fo comp users. competition users get access as they paid for it.
However cooltrader would not like this.

it may be okay to produce results weekly as there is the free one.
regards

Aaron
15-01-2019, 10:41 AM
We are all capitalists here, 90% for the winner and bugger all for everyone else. Much like the way the world works currently.

t.rexjr
15-01-2019, 11:55 AM
I'm all for winner takes the glory and the gold!

But since there's variation of donation, the winners donation value could decide the spread

$30 donation = 90% 1st / 10% 2nd
$20 donation = 75% 1st / 20% 2nd / bottle of wine to 3rd
$10 donation = 60% 1st / 30% 2nd / 10% 3rd

Last place used investment book.

Jay
15-01-2019, 01:26 PM
I'm all for winner takes the glory and the gold!

But since there's variation of donation, the winners donation value could decide the spread

$30 donation = 90% 1st / 10% 2nd
$20 donation = 75% 1st / 20% 2nd / bottle of wine to 3rd
$10 donation = 60% 1st / 30% 2nd / 10% 3rd

Last place used investment book.

Something like this sounds reasonable, though if you only put in say $10 and came 2nd or third then what applies?

Or for $30 donation could be 1st 85% 2nd-10% 3rd-5%

hoyinma
15-01-2019, 02:30 PM
I like this approach.
Winner donation value could decide the spread.

Last place used investment book will be great.

Aotea
15-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Hi all,
Being a tight bastard and only putting $10 into the pot, I agree the winner donation method is a good way to fairly distribute the bounty.
cheers

bohemian
15-01-2019, 04:37 PM
I could well be in for the wooden spoon this year, I am so far I think, so I vote for any combination that includes 10% for last.

JBmurc
15-01-2019, 09:00 PM

yeah Wiz jennym can cotact me if they need funds to help with comp running

JBmurc
15-01-2019, 09:02 PM
I could well be in for the wooden spoon this year, I am so far I think, so I vote for any combination that includes 10% for last.

I'm not 100% sure which of my books from the libary will be posted out will prob give the option but I'm sure it will help I did have a
aspect huntly guide to the Sharemarket which I did lend out ....not sure where that got too>>>
and I guess if I win the spoon then I will just buy another book on the market

If we go with the BIG Winner format > second-hand book

wizAlvin
21-01-2019, 09:40 AM
my 2 cents worth : Winner 60% runner-up 30% third place-10% last place actual wooden spoon with competition year

gmatt
21-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Yes ...... something like that is fine ..... a good amount to the winner ...... little to 2nd/3rd ...... and an acknowledgement to last for competing

Jay
21-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Why does everyone think winner will win the comp he/she might but then again -:) ( sorry could not resist)

troyvdh
21-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Not wishing to sound holier than thou...when me and my mate won...we found out a family with a child with cancer...we gave the 400 or whatever a supermarket voucher for that amount....now that was really satisfying..and will last for a lifetime....guys think about that...

JBmurc
21-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Not wishing to sound holier than thou...when me and my mate won...we found out a family with a child with cancer...we gave the 400 or whatever a supermarket voucher for that amount....now that was really satisfying..and will last for a lifetime....guys think about that...

yeah I gave some of my prize money to a family in need on the "give a little" page.. certainly think its a noble idea .. but upto the individual

troyvdh
22-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Sorry mate...you must be young...the disparity between those who have and those who dont has become quite grotesque...sick...unsustainable.Do you read much !
cheers troy

sorry that reply is meant for aaron...

Aaron
23-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Sorry mate...you must be young...the disparity between those who have and those who dont has become quite grotesque...sick...unsustainable.Do you read much !
cheers troy

sorry that reply is meant for aaron...

I agree totally, it is hard to convey sarcasm in writing.

See the first post under "Capital Gains Tax" in the "Elections" thread. That might indicate my feelings about wealth disparity and possible solutions. No appetite from the voting public for change in NZ or the US for that matter.

Although that said I think it would be best to keep things simple for the competition. Pay out to the winner, second and I am hopeful JBMurch has a good book for me if gold doesn't perform.

I think it would be handy to know what you should contribute to the prize. I put in $20 as I read somewhere on the thread there was an average of $16 so I rounded it up. Maybe a minimum donation to enter next year and if you want to donate more feel free.