PDA

View Full Version : Margin lending on NZX50 ETF

epower
28-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Is anyone margin lending their portfolio on the NZX50 (FNZ) ETF or similar ETFs?

Would love to see a comparison of returns over a multi year timeframe on 20-30% borrowings vs no borrowing.

ASB is lending up to 60% so taking into account a 50% drop in share prices, one could borrow $30 for every $100 invested and still avoid a margin call if the markets were to drop 50%

fish
29-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Is anyone margin lending their portfolio on the NZX50 (FNZ) ETF or similar ETFs?

Would love to see a comparison of returns over a multi year timeframe on 20-30% borrowings vs no borrowing.

ASB is lending up to 60% so taking into account a 50% drop in share prices, one could borrow $30 for every $100 invested and still avoid a margin call if the markets were to drop 50%

Have been margin lending for around 11 years.
ASB are good people to deal with if you are a premium customer.
For me it is a choice that involves risk but gives freedom and opportunity.
I lost big on nzog but then regained it on several utilities-learnt a lesson about diversification of risk.ASB advised me to diversify more at the onset -which I intended to do but held on too long.
I do not like looking back and take no record of returns so can not provide figures.
The main rule I use is to buy with the intention of long term holding with the aim of dividend return.If a share rises above its long-term value I rebalance my portfolio by selling a few-accordingly if the price keeps rising I sell more if I have a better place to put my money(Or ASB money) .

peat
29-12-2019, 10:11 AM
Surely it is borrowing, not lending 🤪
I occasionally modestly leverage into positions
using CMC, but, as I have hinted i keep it pretty low key