PDA

View Full Version : My best % share increase for 2019.

whatsup
01-01-2020, 12:31 AM
For me it was CSM a 2200% increase from .001 to .023, but it did have a inter day high of .034 a increase ( if sold ) of 3300% !!

It is now delisted atm while its rebirthing details are being configured.

Snow Leopard
01-01-2020, 12:50 AM
NZX50 was up 30.4% across 2019, which I outperformed comfortably.

How did you entire portfolio do?

janner
01-01-2020, 01:57 AM

27.3% Quite comfortable with that. Being an investor not a trader.

Think that I am currently positioned well.

percy
01-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Was the year of "The Percy".?
Not a year's but the difference between our Craigs' holding reports of 26/02/2019 and 29/11/2019 was 47.69%.
Was most probably over 50% as at the start of the year PAZ was 9.6 cents and finished at 28 cents while Craigs' report 26/02/2019 had PAZ at 11 cents and their report 29/11/2019 had them at 25 cents.
At the start of the year HGH was our largest holding,followed by TRA and a distant third was PAZ.At the end of the year PAZ is now our largest holding and is over twice our HGH holding.!!
The bonus was the increase in our dividend income.
2020 should be an interesting year,and will be again driven by PAZ .

artemis
01-01-2020, 08:41 AM
Share portfolio up 43% (few small additions during the year, interesting but risky ones).

Property portfolio up approx 12% (same portfolio as a year ago).

(I am generally Ok with numbers but have to use percentagecalculator.net for increase / decrease.)

Beagle
01-01-2020, 08:44 AM
Couple of weeks ago a beautiful pair of wood pigeons decided to take up residence in the trees outside our home. They're very fat like these two
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=E0F3D1BE2C31B4CCBE6D8AF3AC6EBF0284F6C6E3&thid=OIP.UszyHQpL5gqVTbjN2wyQhwHaFj&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accommodation-bay-of-islands.co.nz%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F05%2Fkereru-022.jpg&exph=1920&expw=2560&q=nz+wood+pigeon&selectedindex=3&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,6
I not sure who is fatter, them, me after Xmas eating or my share portfolio :) I comfortably beat the NZX50 index.

I'm sure we've all had a tremendous year in 2019. Best wishes to all for a happy and prosperous new year.

Raz
01-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Couple of weeks ago a beautiful pair of wood pigeons decided to take up residence in the trees outside our home. They're very fat like these two
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=E0F3D1BE2C31B4CCBE6D8AF3AC6EBF0284F6C6E3&thid=OIP.UszyHQpL5gqVTbjN2wyQhwHaFj&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accommodation-bay-of-islands.co.nz%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F05%2Fkereru-022.jpg&exph=1920&expw=2560&q=nz+wood+pigeon&selectedindex=3&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,6
I not sure who is fatter, them, me after Xmas eating or my share portfolio :) I comfortably beat the NZX50 index.

I'm sure we've all had a tremendous year in 2019. Best wishes to all for a happy and prosperous new year.

Nice, I did not trade and focused on settling new real business investments overseas and still beat the NZX being rather passive, rather silly situation really.

Bjauck
01-01-2020, 09:38 AM
HNY. Thanks to all for the heated discussions, interesting opinions and insights.

From Sharesight I see that the benchmark I use - Smartshares NZ Top 50 ETF (gross) - is up 29.05% over the year. My BLT were up by 110%. My worst performer PEB were down -64%

However as an investor I prefer to look at longer times frames. The two year index for Smartshares NZ Top 50 ETF is up 16.8% pa - best performer BLT at 66%.

Five years - 14.6%pa and ATM at 138%pa!

Disc: I reduced some of my holdings over the last couple of years. So my holdings' annual performance would be affected.

Oliver Mander
01-01-2020, 10:54 AM
Very happy with my investment portfolio return of 48.9%. Hope i do it again in 2020 (lol)...

bohemian
01-01-2020, 11:34 AM
I hold mostly CSL.AX in my margin account with ASB securities, it went up 45% but on a margin of 30/70 it was effectively 150% for the year although the currency has gone against me. With the uncertainty over the CSL112 trial it's getting too risky for me so will scale back.

couta1
01-01-2020, 11:52 AM
I dont worry much about % increases and I only judge how well I have done at the end of the actual financial year where I add together all taxable trading profits/dividends and actual increase in capital that I can see on my portfolio. It's all about enjoyment/challenge and fun to me and that's why my trading profit or lack of it means more than % increases on any given share.

whatsup
01-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Was the year of "The Percy".?
Not a year's but the difference between our Craigs' holding reports of 26/02/2019 and 29/11/2019 was 47.69%.
Was most probably over 50% as at the start of the year PAZ was 9.6 cents and finished at 28 cents while Craigs' report 26/02/2019 had PAZ at 11 cents and their report 29/11/2019 had them at 25 cents.
At the start of the year HGH was our largest holding,followed by TRA and a distant third was PAZ.At the end of the year PAZ is now our largest holding and is over twice our HGH holding.!!
The bonus was the increase in our dividend income.
2020 should be an interesting year,and will be again driven by PAZ .

Go PAZ , imho one of N Z's shining shares for this year !

Cadalac123
01-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Biggest wins came from doing short plays with a couple of stocks this year

PLX - 500%
BLT - 105%
IKE - 40%
A2M - 30%

Questionable if the top two have run their peak for a while haha

trader_jackson
01-01-2020, 04:52 PM
I am pleased with my portfolio returning 42.80% for the 2019 calendar year, the biggest gain for me being 574.46% for ZNO listed on the ASX.

lissica
01-01-2020, 06:20 PM

I guesstimate about 55%. All long term holdings across ASX/NZX with no changes in portfolio except reinvesting dividends and one company takeover. Best was DTL up 143% for the year, and 314% since buying in 2012.

In absolute terms up 600k, so am very pleased with 2019 :)

Beagle
01-01-2020, 09:04 PM
Just a thought, I can't help wondering after such a great year and at the start of a new decade whether its time to ask, is there some new worthy cause I can support to make a difference for the better ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY5xjlTZuJw Enjoy and perhaps if you're feeling as well fed and fat from abudence as those wood pigeons I posted a link for earlier, maybe give it some thought...

If you're bereft of idea's what about this one as a starter for thought, let a child choose you as their sponsor https://www.worldvision.org.nz/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1.0%20Brand%20(EX)&utm_term=world%20vision%20new%20zealand&utm_content=WV%20-%20Core%20Brand&gclid=CL-Niff74eYCFQrG1AodTaELXA&gclsrc=ds $50 a month less tax credit is just $33.50 a month net, to make a difference.

fungus pudding
01-01-2020, 11:18 PM
Just a thought, I can't help wondering after such a great year and at the start of a new decade whether its time to ask, is there some new worthy cause I can support to make a difference for the better ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY5xjlTZuJw Enjoy and perhaps if you're feeling as well fed and fat from abudence as those wood pigeons I posted a link for earlier, maybe give it some thought...

If you're bereft of idea's what about this one as a starter for thought, let a child choose you as their sponsor https://www.worldvision.org.nz/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1.0%20Brand%20(EX)&utm_term=world%20vision%20new%20zealand&utm_content=WV%20-%20Core%20Brand&gclid=CL-Niff74eYCFQrG1AodTaELXA&gclsrc=ds $50 a month less tax credit is just $33.50 a month net, to make a difference.

I would have thought, being a Beagle, your charitable instincts would lean towards the SPCA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuy-oOJCOoM:D

couta1
02-01-2020, 07:58 AM

If you're bereft of idea's what about this one as a starter for thought, let a child choose you as their sponsor https://www.worldvision.org.nz/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1.0%20Brand%20(EX)&utm_term=world%20vision%20new%20zealand&utm_content=WV%20-%20Core%20Brand&gclid=CL-Niff74eYCFQrG1AodTaELXA&gclsrc=ds $50 a month less tax credit is just $33.50 a month net, to make a difference. Speaking of which I've always had 3 World Vsion children at any one time for the last 25 odd years(Not the same ones so not sure how many different ones over that time) and feel prouder about that than material gains. PS-Ive left a large slice of my worldly gains to the SPCA as well as World Vision as I detest animal cruelty with a passion.

winner69
02-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Speaking of which I've always had 3 World Vsion children at any one time for the last 25 odd years(Not the same ones so not sure how many different ones over that time) and feel prouder about that than material gains. PS-Ive left a large slice of my worldly gains to the SPCA as well as World Vision as I detest animal cruelty with a passion.

I’ve only had 2 WV children -not as long as you but 20 years or so

They were 6 when we ‘adopted’ them - I thought it strange when we still getting school reports when they were both in their 20’s so asked WV. The guy got really grumpy with me so I cancelled the $100 odd monthly contribution.

No doubt they do good work ...but that guys attitude wasn’t good.

I’ve given heaps to Fred Hollows as seen first hand the good work they do.

SPCA gets lot of our money and effort as well

But we shouldn’t overlook local organisations that do heaps for the not so well off ....doesn’t have to be cash either as physical effort is often appreciated.

couta1
02-01-2020, 08:58 AM
That's strange winner, I've never had that issue as once the community becomes self sufficient I always get allocated new children from a different community in need and have never had a school report beyond about 14 yrs old.:confused:

Timesurfer
02-01-2020, 10:09 AM
We too have had numerous sponsor children 2 or 3 at a time (mostly signed up through Tear Fund). No problems there, they graduate off the fund on a regular basis.
Fred Hollows is one I recently signed up for.
Cure One is another cause I support - it is absurd that in this day and age people are suffering from leprosy (which is a cruel and devastating disease) when it is treatable through antibiotics.

Hopefully 2020 is another good year so we can all spread the wealth a little.

percy
02-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Salvation Army for us.

CD_CHCH
02-01-2020, 10:58 AM
We support the Child Cancer Foundation. We were donating to the Westpac Helicopter as well but it seemed they spent more money posting out letters telling you to donate money than running the helicopters.

Beagle
02-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Great to see so many of you showing such generosity to very worthy causes. Good on you guys !!!!!

Yoda
02-01-2020, 03:01 PM
Thanks Beagle. I will add that to our prayer list. Hope you have a rewarding year with your family. Last year we made money but lost two close friends to cancer husband and wife within six months of each other. our son was quite a challenge when he was on drugs for 10 years but the last couple of years he has made wonderful changes and his marriage is now going forward.

Biggest gain for me ,as in the title of this thread was EVS. ASX gain of 194% according to sharesight. Overall, 19% haha. So not so good but better than the bank

We use Tearfund mainly for kids in Peru . Thats where we used to work in a previous life,back in the day.

so to everyone a happy New Year and may it be a blessed one physically mentally and spiritually

Beagle
02-01-2020, 03:31 PM
Bless you Yoda. I edited that down as you probably realise now, as it contained stuff that on reflection was too personal but I'm glad you read it mate.
Good to hear your son is making progress. Yes, good that Chris Luxon is on the board at Tearfund.

iceman
02-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Great to see so many of you showing such generosity to very worthy causes. Good on you guys !!!!!

For many years we've searched for and found (with the help of a charity) a family here in Nelson that has had a particularly tough year and is hurting badly. Have told them to invite all their closest friends and family and we buy and have the Christmas dinner delivered for them all. We've always done this through a charity that works tirelessly to help such families and the cards and notes we have had back through the charity has been much more fulfilling than any returns in the share market.
Agree Beagle it is nice to see so many on here do their bit to help those that don't have it so good, but not unexpected I have to say.
Happy new year to all.

Yoda
02-01-2020, 05:48 PM
For many years we've searched for and found (with the help of a charity) a family here in Nelson that has had a particularly tough year and is hurting badly. Have told them to invite all their closest friends and family and we buy and have the Christmas dinner delivered for them all. We've always done this through a charity that works tirelessly to help such families and the cards and notes we have had back through the charity has been much more fulfilling than any returns in the share market.
Agree Beagle it is nice to see so many on here do their bit to help those that don't have it so good, but not unexpected I have to say.
Happy new year to all.
That is awesome...... I am really encouraged by this thread,

DarkHorse
02-01-2020, 09:43 PM
Me too! My brother heads World Vision NZ and from his travels and tales I can absolutely vouch for their integrity and the tremendous impact they have. Likewise for Tearfund where he worked previously (taking a 60% paycut to do so...) You won't get a better ROI^^
Somehow I managed 52% on asx (now >3/4 of my portfolio) but a bit less than the index on nzx... still a proud Kiwi though :)

whatsup
02-01-2020, 10:55 PM

Fred Hollows for me,every $20 donation can restore someones eyesight, something that I did not know, is that almost all children born blind in the third world die before they are 2!! .

peat
03-01-2020, 12:55 AM
I guess my best performer for the calendar year would be AFT up over 60%. SUM AND HLG more around the 40%. Remember the falls in late 2018 allowed our calendar year gains for 2019 to look good.

I have an monthly A/P to donate to Cancer Society $25. And I give sporadically to particular disasters eg Vanuatu, Syria and Yemen through various organisations. We are so bloody lucky to be Kiwis.

CD_CHCH
03-01-2020, 07:48 AM
Best performer for the 2019 year for me was BLT - up from it's 1.6 cent low to finish the year at 6.6 cents

Beagle
03-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Fred Hollows for me,every $20 donation can restore someones eyesight, something that I did not know, is that almost all children born blind in the third world die before they are 2!! .

WOW, that's quite an eye opener, excuse the pun.

Yoda
03-01-2020, 03:03 PM
Best performer for the 2019 year for me was BLT - up from it's 1.6 cent low to finish the year at 6.6 cents
You probably bought mine at 1.8. :scared: But got a few at 4, so all is not lost.

CD_CHCH
05-01-2020, 10:23 AM
You probably bought mine at 1.8. :scared: But got a few at 4, so all is not lost.

Unfortunately not - I also picked all mine up above 4 cents ages ago and then watched them spiral down to 1.6 cents and stagnate for ages. Have to say I'm very happy with their performance lately though.

Blue Skies
05-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Thrilled with my largest holding FPH, which I don't think has been mentioned yet, up 70.2% for the year.

RupertBear
05-01-2020, 01:20 PM
PLX up 74% but was a double banger at one stage, PPH 64% and SKO 54% plus dear wee unlisted PAZ up 90% :)

RupertBear
05-01-2020, 05:47 PM
PLX up 74% but was a double banger at one stage, PPH 64% and SKO 54% plus dear wee unlisted PAZ up 90% :)

Did have and still do have some mutts .... PEB was one....MPG is another....and Vista has been a bit of a dog as well :(

CD_CHCH
06-01-2020, 07:26 AM
Did have and still do have some mutts .... PEB was one....MPG is another....and Vista has been a bit of a dog as well :(

Possibly the Australian arm of MPG might have some opportunity to succeed in the aftermath of the bushfires - there will be a huge demand for glass during the rebuild phase - hopefully management seize this opportunity

Bjauck
06-01-2020, 07:59 AM
Possibly the Australian arm of MPG might have some opportunity to succeed in the aftermath of the bushfires - there will be a huge demand for glass during the rebuild phase - hopefully management seize this opportunity Maybe their rebuild should involve more underground dwellings - as more of Australia becomes outback.