PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio Monitoring Apps

Rossimarnz
21-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Hi everyone. I am on the lookout for a portfolio monitoring app. I am not a regular trader rather a long term hold type investor. I used to use 'Tracker' which I found good but unfortunately it is no longer supported. Happy to pay a small subscription if necessary.

TIA

justakiwi
21-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Sharesight is great. They have a free version which lets you track up to 10 stocks, or paid subscriptions which allow more plus additional features. I use the free one to keep track of my small portfolio and it’s very useful. You do have to manually add trades, but that’s not a problem for me. I would highly recommend it.

Hi everyone. I am on the lookout for a portfolio monitoring app. I am not a regular trader rather a long term hold type investor. I used to use 'Tracker' which I found good but unfortunately it is no longer supported. Happy to pay a small subscription if necessary.

TIA

oldtech
21-01-2020, 07:09 PM
Sharesight is great. They have a free version which lets you track up to 10 stocks, or paid subscriptions which allow more plus additional features. I use the free one to keep track of my small portfolio and it’s very useful. You do have to manually add trades, but that’s not a problem for me. I would highly recommend it.

You can email contract notes to Sharesight and it will add them to your portfolio, as long as the broker is supported. I use ASB and Sharesight accepts their contract notes.

justakiwi
21-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately we can’t yet do that with Sharesies. When we put an order in, our completed order shows the contract note reference number, but not an actual contract note as such. Hopefully that is something they will improve on at some point. It doesn’t worry me really. It takes me a couple of minutes each week to enter my buy orders. Would be a pain if I was making heaps of trades but it’s only 4 orders a week.

You can email contract notes to Sharesight and it will add them to your portfolio, as long as the broker is supported. I use ASB and Sharesight accepts their contract notes.

Rossimarnz
21-01-2020, 07:39 PM

Thanks Justakiwi. I have 11 current NZX shares and 3 offshore ETFs. Have 9 old holdings I wouldn't mind retaining history of also. Would be looking at $20 per month for sharesight. Agree it was good when I had less than 10 so might have to pay for quality

hogie
21-01-2020, 07:57 PM
https://stocknessmonster.com/
Very simple but good for tracking portfolio percentage changes day-to-day

https://www.nzx.com (https://www.nzx.com)
Can add your portfolio + all of your trades manually and track them ... also can have a watchlist.
Not as good as it used to be in my opinion

www.sharesight.com (https://www.sharesight.com)
As others mentioned an awesome resource for a small portfolio (10 stocks or less) ... links directly to directbrokering and asb so you don't need to manually add trades. Unfortunately my portfolio is over the 10 stock limit now and I'm too tight to purchase their pro plan.

https://simplywall.st/
Amazing resource for analytics and interesting insights into companies / shares. Links directly to sharesight (can import your portfolio automatically) ... however free version only includes a limit of 6 analysed companies.

Google Finance (app) (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-finance/fcgckldmmjdbpdejkclmfnnnehhocbfp?hl=en)
I use google finance to keep track of stocks on my phone during the day.

Enjoy :)

That's all the ones I use :)

Baa_Baa
21-01-2020, 08:02 PM
Thanks Justakiwi. I have 11 current NZX shares and 3 offshore ETFs. Have 9 old holdings I wouldn't mind retaining history of also. Would be looking at $20 per month for sharesight. Agree it was good when I had less than 10 so might have to pay for quality

$240 p/a or so for Sharesight is very good value imo, and a rounding error on many portfolios with 10+ holdings. Sharesight has developed into a very useful and effective portfolio management and reporting system, I can't speak highly enough of it ... and am not paid to say so or affiliated in any way.

Waiuta
21-01-2020, 08:22 PM
I used the free version of Sharesight for a while but eventually bought the basic paid version which I'm very happy with. The flexibility of reporting functionality is great and the Taxable Income Report is well worth having in my opinion.

Oliver Mander
21-01-2020, 10:22 PM
I have built my own tracking tool, which in reality does what Sharesight does (but free!). Agree that Sharesight is a great product though, if I ever stop being parsimonious I would happily plump for their product.

Benny1
21-01-2020, 10:30 PM
I use sharesight too... Have three going using different email addresses... One for NZX & my one ASX company holding's
One for ETFs.. and one for my wife's ETFs...

Snoopy
21-01-2020, 10:30 PM
I have built my own tracking tool, which in reality does what Sharesight does (but free!). Agree that Sharesight is a great product though, if I ever stop being parsimonious I would happily plump for their product.

I just use our Sylvester's own sharetrader game on this very forum to track my share portfolio. I organise my 'real' NZX investments into five representative groups. Then I pick one of my groups' members for each of all five groups as my competition entry. My actual groups are:

Finance: Heartland Bank, Turners Automotive Group
Power: Contact Energy, Mercury Energy
Telecommunications: Chorus, Spark, Telstra
Manufacturing/Agriculture: PGG Wrightson, Scott Technology, Skellerup
Tourism: Sky City Entertainment
Branded Nutrition: Restaurant Brands

As you can see I actually have six groups so one does not make it into the competition. Yet the result that Sylvester posts each week is close enough for me to monitor my progress.

SNOOPY

justakiwi
21-01-2020, 10:33 PM
My new favourite word :)

(Made me think of my Dad)

if I ever stop being parsimonious I would happily plump for their product.

Oliver Mander
21-01-2020, 11:44 PM
I just use our Sylvester's own sharetrader game on this very forum to track my share portfolio. I organise my 'real' NZX investments into five representative groups. Then I pick one of my groups' members for each of all five groups as my competition entry. My actual groups are:

Finance: Heartland Bank, Turners Automotive Group
Power: Contact Energy, Mercury Energy
Telecommunications: Chorus, Spark, Telstra
Manufacturing/Agriculture: PGG Wrightson, Scott Technology, Skellerup
Tourism: Sky City Entertainment
Branded Nutrition: Restaurant Brands

As you can see I actually have six groups so one does not make it into the competition. Yet the result that Sylvester posts each week is close enough for me to monitor my progress.

SNOOPY

Good on ya Snoopy! I do use that database as the source for my tracking tool also, although add my foreign shares and forex tracking as well.

Leftfield
22-01-2020, 07:34 AM
FWIW I use a combination of my Direct Broking portfolio and watch list info combined with Sharesite.

Two points I add to all the foregoing good advice;

1.) DB's watch list 'view' can reflect % gain from a 'base line' (i.e. not just the daily gain) and is v useful to track overall gains.
2.) As I'm a big believer in the dangers of 'over diversification' I find Sharesite's free offer limit of 10 shares a handy incentive to keep my portfolio under 10 companies.

Jamie
22-01-2020, 07:46 AM
sharesight feeding from my asb account - getting quality information for very little monthly $ subscription is a no brainer - automation

Yoda
22-01-2020, 09:07 AM
I used the free version of Sharesight for a while but eventually bought the basic paid version which I'm very happy with. The flexibility of reporting functionality is great and the Taxable Income Report is well worth having in my opinion.

I use sharesight and pay for the full version It is fantastic and my tax accountant says it saves me me heaps of money has he uses it directly for tax purposes. I am with the ASB for trades and they just go straight to share site by email from ASB straight into sharesight without me doing anything else. I would suggest playing around with the free version or watch it on YouTube as there are some educational videos tutorials

iceman
22-01-2020, 09:14 AM
I use sharesight and pay for the full version It is fantastic and my tax accountant says it saves me me heaps of money has he uses it directly for tax purposes. I am with the ASB for trades and they just go straight to share site by email from ASB straight into sharesight without me doing anything else. I would suggest playing around with the free version or watch it on YouTube as there are some educational videos tutorials

Same here but with Direct Broking. It is great and saves lots of time and money for me

Indy kiwi
22-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the info. It seems that Sharesight requires a user to indicate a Tax residency for a portfolio then calculates totals for each holding into the currency of the residency. NZ does not seem to be an option here. Or perhaps I am missing something.

Jay
22-01-2020, 10:57 AM
I use Sharesight as well, and changed my portfolio name then could not seem to "connect" to ASB securities, so as peat?? pointed out I now forward the contract notes to them and it gets automatically loaded.

jmsnz
22-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the info. It seems that Sharesight requires a user to indicate a Tax residency for a portfolio then calculates totals for each holding into the currency of the residency. NZ does not seem to be an option here. Or perhaps I am missing something.
I assume that you are missing something, my portfolios are all NZ Residency and the process is described here - https://help.sharesight.com/nz/add_portfolio/. I have been a ShareSight user since 2010 and think that it is well worth the cost.

Rossimarnz
22-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I am now a Sharesight subscriber. Anyone know how to see daily share price change? I can see value change but not share price

Indy kiwi
23-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the help - it was operator error. I was looking for NZ under N rather than at the top of the list - duh.

I assume that you are missing something, my portfolios are all NZ Residency and the process is described here - https://help.sharesight.com/nz/add_portfolio/. I have been a ShareSight user since 2010 and think that it is well worth the cost.

Drew95
05-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Hey team. Needing some advice. I am wanting a way to track my portfolio. I signed up for Sharesight a long time ago, not long after it first came on the market. IMO at that time it was not all that great. So I get rid of it. I am back in the market for something, and I see on this thread there are a lot of quite positive opinions about Sharesight. I am guessing they have greatly improved the software since I last took a look at it, but I would be very interested in people's opinions, positive and negative, and whether there are any other options around. I am increasing the number of trades I do and am trading more and more Ozzie stocks. Thanks in advance.

kiora
05-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Hey team. Needing some advice. I am wanting a way to track my portfolio. I signed up for Sharesight a long time ago, not long after it first came on the market. IMO at that time it was not all that great. So I get rid of it. I am back in the market for something, and I see on this thread there are a lot of quite positive opinions about Sharesight. I am guessing they have greatly improved the software since I last took a look at it, but I would be very interested in people's opinions, positive and negative, and whether there are any other options around. I am increasing the number of trades I do and am trading more and more Ozzie stocks. Thanks in advance.
I use yahoo finance/my portfolio/multiple portfolios to track my shares.
Like you I signed up for Sharesight but don't use anymore.It is free for loading up 10 shares now?Advantage of supplying dividend history for tax.

RTM
05-07-2020, 12:50 PM
I use yahoo finance/my portfolio/multiple portfolios to track my shares.
Like you I signed up for Sharesight but don't use anymore.It is free for loading up 10 shares now?Advantage of supplying dividend history for tax.

So far I don’t want to PAY for a portfolio manager.
So currently I use Direct Broking for my NZ/Aust stocks....around 35 of them.
And to get around the many shortcomings of DB....I also mirror everything in Yahoo Finance. While good for presentation of current information, Yahoo is useless for transactional data...particularly selling a stock and tracking cash and commissions. Google Finance, now discontinued, was better in that respect. I am hoping that when DB update their software, long promised, that it will be much better. IMO it is currently a dog.
PS I am retired, so have time to do things somewhat manually.

kiora
05-07-2020, 08:53 PM
Same same RTM
Manually easy as only have 3 stocks :)

Baa_Baa
05-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Sharesight is a terrific app, for a measly couple of hundred bucks per annum your whole portfolio trades, management, dividends, splits, consolidations, cash position and reporting are all taken care of. Stuff the spreadsheets and countless hours of data entry and analysis, I’m well over that!

Corleone
05-07-2020, 11:46 PM
A few negatives for sharesight, I have it and live overseas and pay non resident tax on dividends. Sharesight will tax my divis at NZ rate as my portfolio is predominantly NZX, if i use the country I work in as my country of origin when registering, the portfolio will automatically use that currency for tracking stocks and I don't have a choice in this. 80%of my stocks are NZX.... Therefore its a pain in the butt as currency swings day to day and id rather just have my NZX holdings reported in NZ dollars as that's what I buy them with. As the portfolio is set to NZ dollars I now have to manually adjust every dividend payment to the 10.5% non resident withholding tax. This defeats the purpose of paying someone to maintain and track your portfolio. Also they miss a lot of dividend payments or sometime add double. Expat first world problems know, but i wouldn't use it again if overseas and on different NZ tax rate. these issues should be an easy fix and in 3 years they haven't fixed it. Hello sharesight?

kiora
06-07-2020, 12:44 AM
To clarify
Sharesight free if less than 10 shares but not entirely accurate
Yahoo Finance free but doesn't track dividends.Tax easy if there are few entities to report.
Link provide an end of year tax report by instant download and emailed to you or your financial advisor.Corleone:you need to update your tax elections with LINK Purchase tax report by Credit Card or Direct Credit for only $51.75 per tax period.

kiora
06-07-2020, 12:47 AM
To clarify
Sharesight free if less than 10 shares but not entirely accurate
Yahoo Finance free but doesn't track dividends.Tax easy if there are few entities to report.
Link provide an end of year tax report by instant download and emailed to you or your financial advisor.Corleone:you need to update your tax elections with LINK Purchase tax report by Credit Card or Direct Credit for only $51.75 per tax period.
Update your personal details and email address across multiple holdings (even if you have a joint or corporate holding)
Access your payment details including distribution statements
View and print taxation payment details
Update your tax elections
View and print Balance & Transaction history
Update Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRP) elections
Create a portfolio with all your New Zealand and Australian holdings
Vote online

Bjauck
06-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Sharesight is a terrific app, for a measly couple of hundred bucks per annum your whole portfolio trades, management, dividends, splits, consolidations, cash position and reporting are all taken care of. Stuff the spreadsheets and countless hours of data entry and analysis, I’m well over that!
I agree with Baa...I have a had a sub for a year now. You can have three separate portfolios. It has good reporting capabilities plus ability to export all transactions to other spreadsheet formats. You can add notes and descriptions to transactions.

It has customizable groups and ability to add non-listed investments and manually enter prices.

Also the app is good for accessing your account on a mobile.

tango
06-07-2020, 10:29 AM
I love Sharesight

There are some things that could be improved. A friend asked them to include the average purchase cost in one of the columns and Sharesight said they will put it in the development list. I might email them and add my vote for this.

I use all 3 portfolios and a consolidated view.

It tracks foreign currency movements easily.

The dividends are not always accurate. I’m not sure why but they are often out a few cents and sometimes they are enough out that the number of shares in DRP are out too by 1 share. It must be rounding errors. This means I can’t use it for tax. I thought it would make tax easier but it hasn’t. You have to manually check the dividend calculations and adjust them.

Drew95
06-07-2020, 10:35 AM
I am also reviewing my trading platform. I have always used Direct Broking, and they have been OK but I am not convinced there is not something better. It looks and feels very out of date, and the charting is absolute rubbish. What do others use? Again, thanks in advance for your comments.

Drew95
06-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Haha. Just took a look at Google reviews for Direct Broking. 1.8 stars. ASB not much better. 2.6 stars. What are the alternatives???

mikeybycrikey
06-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Haha. Just took a look at Google reviews for Direct Broking. 1.8 stars. ASB not much better. 2.6 stars. What are the alternatives???

I'm not sure how useful those Google reviews are. Surely the only people that are going to leave a review of their broker are those who have had a bad experience.

Jay
06-07-2020, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure how useful those Google reviews are. Surely the only people that are going to leave a review of their broker are those who have had a bad experience.

That's more or less my take as well. if it works as intended, you just carry on and use the product/service - not many give + reviews unless canvassed for them (or paid as it turns out in some instances), more likely to give a bad review if you're not happy

tango
06-07-2020, 02:04 PM

These are fine trading platforms. But if you want to track your investments then Sharesight is a good add on

Waiuta
06-07-2020, 02:57 PM
I am also reviewing my trading platform. I have always used Direct Broking, and they have been OK but I am not convinced there is not something better. It looks and feels very out of date, and the charting is absolute rubbish. What do others use? Again, thanks in advance for your comments.
I really don't think you can go past Sharesight. I used DB as well as my own spreadsheet then tried the Free version of Sharesight. This was OK up to 10 entries so I recorded Bonds seperately. I have been using the entry level paid version of Sharesight (which I claim as a legitimate expense) for around a year now and find the reporting functionality couldn't be better.

GTM 3442
06-07-2020, 06:56 PM
I use sharesight too... Have three going using different email addresses... One for NZX & my one ASX company holding's
One for ETFs.. and one for my wife's ETFs...

What a bl**dy good idea - thank you. I'd never thought of that - must be getting slow(er) in my old age.