PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun

justakiwi
22-01-2020, 07:12 PM
If I handed you $10,000 free right now, but you had to invest it all in one company/fund, what would you pick? Can be anywhere - not just NZ market.

percy
22-01-2020, 07:28 PM
If I handed you $10,000 free right now, but you had to invest it all in one company/fund, what would you pick? Can be anywhere - not just NZ market.

Not for fun,but for real, my largest holding[by far] is PAZ Pharmazen which is on www.usx.co.nz
Here on ST I started a thread on Unlisted section, PAZ Pharma Zen, so it has its own thread.
You will note I started off buying just a few, and as I researched and got to know the company [as well as directors and management] I brought more,then more. I think the thread is worthwhile reading.
Most probably not suitable for most,as they now have a minimum holding of 20,000 shares which at 29 cents would be $5,800..

justakiwi
22-01-2020, 07:34 PM
I knew you were going to pick them ;)

Yes, I have read some of that thread but must go back and read the rest at some point. I know very little about unlisted - are they unlisted because they don’t meet the criteria for a public listing?

Not for fun,but for real, my largest holding[by far] is PAZ Pharmazen which is on www.usx.co.nz (http://www.usx.co.nz)
Here on ST I started a thread on Unlisted section, PAZ Pharma Zen, so it has its own thread.
You will note I started off buying just a few, and as I researched and got to know the company [as well as directors and management] I brought more,then more. I think the thread is worthwhile reading.
Most probably not suitable for most,as they now have a minimum holding of 20,000 shares which at 29 cents would be $5,800..

blackcap
22-01-2020, 08:02 PM
I knew you were going to pick them ;)

Yes, I have read some of that thread but must go back and read the rest at some point. I know very little about unlisted - are they unlisted because they don’t meet the criteria for a public listing?

Not necessarily. A listing on the NZX can be bothersome, minimum shareholder requirements, continuous disclosure reporting etc etc. If you were in charge of a company with a diverse shareholding base and those shareholders wanted a market facility to be able to trade shares then the NZX is not the only option. Unlisted (its called something different now) is a viable alternative and a lot cheaper to boot.
But some companies on "unlisted" could potentially meet the criteria for an NZX listing, just choose not to.

percy
22-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Not necessarily. A listing on the NZX can be bothersome, minimum shareholder requirements, continuous disclosure reporting etc etc. If you were in charge of a company with a diverse shareholding base and those shareholders wanted a market facility to be able to trade shares then the NZX is not the only option. Unlisted (its called something different now) is a viable alternative and a lot cheaper to boot.
But some companies on "unlisted" could potentially meet the criteria for an NZX listing, just choose not to.

The fees are much cheaper and reporting requirements loser.
Most are listed so as shareholders have a market to trade their shares.
Rangatira,Rural Equities,and Skyline are excellent companies.
Zespri can only be traded by Kiwi Fruit growers.
Syft I have a modest holding but could be classified as a spec.
Bluesky are making the right noises ,but I will never invest in them or Silver Fern Farms as I do not like the meat processing sector.Been a great destroyer of wealth.
Just seen Blackcap's post and agree with what he has posted.

justakiwi
22-01-2020, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the explanations people. So, next question ... is the USX really only recommended for experienced investors/traders, or is it suitable for beginner investors/traders? I did read the disclosure info so am aware they are not bound by the same regulations as the NZX, but are there any hidden “dangers” or things one would need to be wary of? Less liquidity maybe?

The fees are much cheaper and reporting requirements loser.
Most are listed so as shareholders have a market to trade their shares.
Rangatira,Rural Equities,and Skyline are excellent companies.
Zespri can only be traded by Kiwi Fruit growers.
Syft I have a modest holding but could be classified as a spec.
Bluesky are making the right noises ,but I will never invest in them or Silver Fern Farms as I do not like the meat processing sector.Been a great destroyer of wealth.

percy
22-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the explanations people. So, next question ... is the USX really only recommended for experienced investors/traders, or is it suitable for beginner investors/traders? I did read the disclosure info so am aware they are not bound by the same regulations as the NZX, but are there any hidden “dangers” or things one would need to be wary of? Less liquidity maybe?

Liquidity is a very real issue,,...[but has not been for PAZ over the past year.]
I guess it requires you to really do your own research, as brokers do not cover USX.
Not all brokers trade USX stocks.
I trade with Craigs,and I note people who deal with Direct Broking have to sign a waver, and then place buy/sell orders by phone.
Most probably fair to say beginners should avoid it.
You may note I have never sold a PAZ share.

justakiwi
22-01-2020, 08:43 PM
Thanks! Really interesting info ....

So what would the rest of you buy with your free $10,000?

Liquidity is a very real issue,,...[but has not been for PAZ over the past year.]
I guess it requires you to really do your own research, as brokers do not cover USX.
Not all brokers trade USX stocks.
I trade with Craigs,and I note people who deal with Direct Broking have to sign a waver, and then place buy/sell orders by phone.
Most probably fair to say beginners should avoid it.
You may note I have never sold a PAZ share.

blackcap
22-01-2020, 08:54 PM

I'd be boring and put it in FNZ.

iceman
22-01-2020, 11:10 PM
One of my big punts in the last couple of years has been is OSSR on the Copenhagen stock exchange and I'd probably put it there :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ssur
http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktier/microsite?Instrument=CSE68620&name=%C3%96ssur&ISIN=IS0000000040

justakiwi
22-01-2020, 11:20 PM
That's a pretty cool investment. Impressive product line. What are the shares worth in NZ$ out of curiosity?

One of my big punts in the last couple of years has been is OSSR on the Copenhagen stock exchange and I'd probably put it there :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ssur
http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktier/microsite?Instrument=CSE68620&name=%C3%96ssur&ISIN=IS0000000040

GTM 3442
23-01-2020, 12:42 AM
Zurich Kantonal Bank Palladium ETF, Switzerland, in CHF (ZPAL.SW), possibly tomorrow.

kiora
23-01-2020, 07:05 AM
For real & for fun IFT

GTM 3442
23-01-2020, 06:23 PM

Thank you for the idea. Does the DKK/NZD exchange rate support it?

fungus pudding
16-02-2020, 08:46 AM

It depends whether you are an investor or a trader. I am an investor and only buy things that will increase my income, (not limited to shares) and almost never sell; just keep stacking up income. So for me I would put it into Listed Property Trusts. I do not own any other shares. One advantage is they are PIES so a decent saving in tax for a start. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best way, but stacking income is easy and has worked for me over a very long period of time - mainly houses, then commercial property and now for simplicity LPTs, One more point - it shouldn't make any difference if the $10,000 was 'free', whatever that means. Probably means it was a gift, or similar. Money is money and if you think of it as 'free' you are likely to fall into the 'easy come- easy go' trap.

justakiwi
16-02-2020, 09:38 AM
That’s a very good point. Well said!

It depends whether you are an investor or a trader. I am an investor and only buy things that will increase my income, (not limited to shares) and almost never sell; just keep stacking up income. So for me I would put it into Listed Property Trusts. I do not own any other shares. One advantage is they are PIES so a decent saving in tax for a start. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best way, but stacking income is easy and has worked for me over a very long period of time - mainly houses, then commercial property and now for simplicity LPTs, One more point - it shouldn't make any difference if the $10,000 was 'free', whatever that means. Probably means it was a gift, or similar. Money is money and if you think of it as 'free' you are likely to fall into the 'easy come- easy go' trap.

Joshuatree
16-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Ive been offered a $US cash management account paying 1%. Am considering it as a safe haven in case things get worse and our exchange drops due to our commodity exposure to china..

iceman
17-02-2020, 08:21 AM
Ive been offered a $US cash management account paying 1%. Am considering it as a safe haven in case things get worse and our exchange drops due to our commodity exposure to china..

Do you mind sharing which institution with ?

SBQ
17-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Do you mind sharing which institution with ?

I would also be interested to know which bank is paying 1% on cash USD deposits?