PDA

View Full Version : Out of interest/just for fun

justakiwi
04-02-2020, 06:33 PM
Not sure if anyone will be willing to share or not, but I thought it would be really interesting to get an idea of the size of people’s portfolios - especially for us beginners.

NB: the poll is anonymous btw. I’m probably actually more interested to see if anyone here is a “minuscule” investor like me ;)

tga_trader
04-02-2020, 07:26 PM
Shares only?
Including capital in property?
Include kiwisaver?
I know its just for fun but obviously changes the results significantly. I already voted before I though about it, and voted purely on current share holding

justakiwi
04-02-2020, 07:30 PM
Shares/funds only for now ;)

Shares only?
Including capital in property?
Include kiwisaver?
I know its just for fun but obviously changes the results significantly. I already voted before I though about it, and voted purely on current share holding

Snow Leopard
04-02-2020, 08:28 PM
I rent an apartment as opposed to own so I get to be that much richer then :t_up:.

justakiwi
04-02-2020, 08:32 PM
Good to know I’m not the only “just starting out” investor here. Pity my age doesn’t better match my investing stage ;)

justakiwi
04-02-2020, 09:26 PM
Oops. I just realised my poll has a few missing value range options. Don’t seem to be able to edit it, but it doesn’t matter. Gives us a general idea.

Bjauck
05-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Shares/funds only for now ;) Including overseas? Some have recently divested owing to Coronavirus. Some have substantial capital in real estate, P2P, bonds, an expensive house to live in, art, precious metals, and their businesses.

justakiwi
05-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Ok, good point. For the sake of the exercise let's just make it shares, funds, bonds and cash only - including overseas investments. Wish I could fix my poll to add another bracket in there where I missed one, but I can't see a way to edit the poll, only my original post comment. If you are in the missing bracket just pick the next closest one.

Including overseas? Some have recently divested owing to Coronavirus. Some have substantial capital in real estate, P2P, bonds, an expensive house to live in, art, precious metals, and their businesses.

Timesurfer
05-02-2020, 02:09 PM
I am in the just starting out phase too - I just chose to use a bunch of other people’s money to help me along :eek2:

This is not investment advice nor a strategy to be encouraged. But I am hoping it has slightly better odds than lotto!

justakiwi
05-02-2020, 02:14 PM
You mean you have borrowed to invest?

I am in the just starting out phase too - I just chose to use a bunch of other people’s money to help me along :eek2:

This is not investment advice nor a strategy to be encouraged. But I am hoping it has slightly better odds than lotto!

Timesurfer
05-02-2020, 02:50 PM
The world is going to end tomorrow according to Bull and dying with money in the bank seems like a waste - so, yes, instead of paying off the mortgage I have run it up again. If we weren’t sitting on record low interest rates I might not employ this strategy, and it is subject to review should things change. However, after a slightly nerve wrecking start I am now in relatively comfortable position of being 50% up on my over all portfolio and bar an overnight collapse of the stock market I sleep pretty easy.

justakiwi
05-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Interesting. Would scare the crap out of me, but good luck! :)

The world is going to end tomorrow according to Bull and dying with money in the bank seems like a waste - so, yes, instead of paying off the mortgage I have run it up again. If we weren’t sitting on record low interest rates I might not employ this strategy, and it is subject to review should things change. However, after a slightly nerve wrecking start I am now in relatively comfortable position of being 50% up on my over all portfolio and bar an overnight collapse of the stock market I sleep pretty easy.

blackcap
05-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Interesting. Would scare the crap out of me, but good luck! :)

I use my revolving mortgage from time to time to invest in equities as well. Especially now that borrowing rates are so cheap.

But you are correct, its not for the faint of heart.

fish
05-02-2020, 04:03 PM
I use my revolving mortgage from time to time to invest in equities as well. Especially now that borrowing rates are so cheap.

But you are correct, its not for the faint of heart.

Likewise
The interest on this is tax deductible as long as you have it well documented that the mortgage is being used to finance an investment with the intention of making a profit.
You need to discuss it with your accountant.
It gives instant access to cash and I only use it to buy equities where the dividend return is higher than the interest rates (not for instance NZO ! )

iceman
06-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Likewise
The interest on this is tax deductible as long as you have it well documented that the mortgage is being used to finance an investment with the intention of making a profit.
You need to discuss it with your accountant.
It gives instant access to cash and I only use it to buy equities where the dividend return is higher than the interest rates (not for instance NZO ! )

Same strategy here. Why look a gift horse in the mouth but obviously one needs to understand the risks and be willing and able to wear a potential loss.