PDA

View Full Version : How is everyones Kiwi saver holding up?

ratkin
19-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Nearly everyone I speak too has put their kiwi saver onto conservative or cash in the last few weeks, except for one brave young soul who will not retire for Thirty Five years anyway.

Someone mentioned on another thread that forced selling by funds, due to people leaving aggressive funds was driving down prices, but do many kiwi saver schemes have many holdings in NZ shares? My aggressive fund was nearly all overseas shares from memory

Pipi
19-03-2020, 04:21 PM
I'm in a growth fund and too scared to look. Can't do anything about it now.

hoyinma
19-03-2020, 04:24 PM
I'm in a conservative fund and is down about 10% from the top.

Tomtom
19-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Seeing as I'm a few decades from cashing it in...

blackcap
19-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Not too well, but not too concerned. I am in FNZ, and from the graph it is about where it was 1 year and 1 month ago. So no worries. Long term outlook for me on this one.

ananda77
19-03-2020, 04:42 PM
No worries here. After all, it's a retirement fund and had been Cash since December 2018. After all this goes well, sure it will be growth...just not yet until the full extent of the recession becomes clearer.

silu
19-03-2020, 04:43 PM
Growth fund doing badly at the mo but luckily used everything 2 years ago to buy my house. Still 20 years away from retiring tho so it should bounce back nicely (one hopes).

Mr Slothbear
19-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Growth fund. Haven’t even looked at it as its nothing in relation to my main self managed holdings.

Baa_Baa
19-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Staying in growth, long term horizon, don’t want to miss out on all these cheap shares my fund is buying. They have to keep buying, buy buy buy. KiwiSaver isn’t a trading tool

ratkin
Mine only updates at the end of each month, February it was flat, but bracing for March to be a shocker even if it is only in a conservative fund. Wishing now had gone all the way down to cash fund

trackers
Nearly everyone I speak too has put their kiwi saver onto conservative or cash in the last few weeks, except for one brave young soul who will not retire for Thirty Five years anyway.

Someone mentioned on another thread that forced selling by funds, due to people leaving aggressive funds was driving down prices, but do many kiwi saver schemes have many holdings in NZ shares? My aggressive fund was nearly all overseas shares from memory

Yeah it was me. Not only forced by thousands of kiwis switching funds, but in addition I'm sure they'll be mandated to do further selling by re-balancing and risk mitigation

BigBob
19-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Switched from a growth fund to a cash fund in early March, so only down a few percent from the top. Over 10 years before I can get at it, so looking to switch back to a growth fund when the bear goes back to sleep...

bull....
19-03-2020, 04:51 PM
conservative. dont forget non kiwisaver fund managers will also be having redemptions

tga_trader
19-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Staying in growth, long term horizon, don’t want to miss out on all these cheap shares my fund is buying. They have to keep buying, buy buy buy. KiwiSaver isn’t a trading tool

Yeah this is me too. Don't need it for 35 years so I'm leaving it in growth.
Just checked, it's down 15% from peak, so not even THAT bad.

samjaynz
19-03-2020, 04:55 PM
Growth fund. Haven't bothered looking though as cashed out most of it 3 months ago to buy a house (literally the nostradamus of market timing right here). But at least our mortgage is not much more than our rent was, in a much nicer house, and we went into it with 20% deposit instead of 10% like many FHB).

My other fund investments are getting massacred though.

trackers
19-03-2020, 05:02 PM
Growth fund. Haven't bothered looking though as cashed out most of it 3 months ago to buy a house (literally the nostradamus of market timing right here). But at least our mortgage is not much more than our rent was, in a much nicer house, and we went into it with 20% deposit instead of 10% like many FHB).

My other fund investments are getting massacred though.

Hopefully it works out but you might have timed one market well and not the other! We will see!

lawson
19-03-2020, 05:23 PM
I switched my balance out of my Growth fund to cash early on so down about 2.5% but left my ongoing contributions in growth so I get the DCA of putting money into my growth fund still

Gerald
19-03-2020, 07:13 PM
Milford Aggressive :cool: Only down ~20% which isn't bad considering most of it's in international shares.

Not worried with 50 or so years to retirement.

troyvdh
19-03-2020, 07:46 PM
ratkin..with all due respect..Im quite stunned at your post...particularly with reference to thirty five years.Youve been a contributer since 2001..how can you in all honestly say what you said.Are those folk you speak doing exactly what they Should not do...LIKE why did they sign up to aggressive funds in the first place...like what am I missing ..cheers

huxley
19-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Milford Aggressive :cool: Only down ~20% which isn't bad considering most of it's in international shares.

Not worried with 50 or so years to retirement.

Probs get some benefit from exposure to USD..

troyvdh
19-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Baa Baa..wise words indeed.

ratkin
19-03-2020, 08:07 PM
ratkin..with all due respect..Im quite stunned at your post...particularly with reference to thirty five years.Youve been a contributer since 2001..how can you in all honestly say what you said.Are those folk you speak doing exactly what they Should not do...LIKE why did they sign up to aggressive funds in the first place...like what am I missing ..cheers

lol read it again, Sadly it was not me with 35 years to go, another Seven to go for me

Cadalac123
19-03-2020, 08:10 PM
Best strategy switch to conservative and switch back to growth after this is over and stop panicking

troyvdh
19-03-2020, 08:12 PM
Thanks ratkin..but why sign up to an aggressive fund in the first place.

troyvdh
19-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Sorry Cadalac..I believe that is bad advice..unless you are an authorized financial adviser...in which case you cease or disclose who you are.

ratkin
19-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Thanks ratkin..but why sign up to an aggressive fund in the first place.

Aggressive has been by far the best one to be in until a few weeks ago, switched around mid Feb to conservative

Cadalac123
19-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Sorry Cadalac..I believe that is bad advice..unless you are an authorized financial adviser...in which case you cease or disclose who you are.

This is a public online forum no one needs to take my opinion it’s not “advice” I just posted a strategy people can use if people are taking financial advice from an online forum from random strangers I think there’s a bigger problem at hand

Sideshow Bob
19-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Been in conservative for a while. Down 6% from the peak.....but still up 2% over the last 12 months.

Like many, will swap out to a more aggressive fund at a yet-to-be-determined later point

suse
20-03-2020, 09:47 AM
down 20% in my growth fund. Didnt bother changing it out as the whole concept of being in a growth fund is that you are prepared to take the highs and lows. Cant deny that it doesnt hurt to look at the decreased amount though