PDA

View Full Version : 2021 NZX Stock Picking Comp

Oliver Mander
07-12-2020, 01:48 PM
...coming soon! Just setting up the thread!

Oliver Mander
07-12-2020, 01:56 PM
And here we go again! Make your claim on picking the stocks to watch in 2021.

We are running things a bit differently this year courtesy of the NZ Shareholders Association and the team at Sharesight. Essentially, that should mean a much 'slicker' front end to go and view your results and rankings. Because of the Sharesight link, the form asks you to submit your first name, surname and email address. Please note that this will NOT form a part of any marketing to you (unless you give us express permission to be notified of any future Investment or Trading games)

Get your picks in by DECEMBER 18TH to be counted as part of the "Retail investor Top 5" picks that will be published in the NZ Herald, along with the broker picks.

The rules are similar to 2020, although 'Cash' has been removed as an option.
Feel free to circulate this widely - we had a good range of entries this year, and would be great to see that grow further.

Rules:
1) Pick FIVE different NZX-listed equity instruments (incl. Smartshares and foreign companies listed in NZ).
- Companies/Funds with a market cap of less than $10m may not be selected.
2) Please also make a SIXTH pick - this will be used as a 'backup preference' should one of your picks delist or merge during the year. It won't cover companies that are placed in liquidation or dissolved.
3) Each pick has an equal weighting. You cannot pick the same option more than once.
4) Picks in by 7pm January 3rd 2020 (New Zealand time); ie, prior to trading opening.

Returns calculations
1) Each will start with a notional portfolio of $10,000
2) Returns will be calculate from the last closing price of 2020 (Dec 31st 2020) to the last closing price of 2021.
3) Its a 'total return' comp, so Dividends will be included - but NOT benefits from imputation credits or other tax-specific benefits.
4) Rights issues are included according to a formula that does not increase capital, but recognises a capital gain/loss on the rights for the year. We may have to do this manually, but will cross that bridge when we come to it.
5) If a selection delists or otherwise somehow dissolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this. The realisation will then be "re-invested" in your backup preference (see 2), allowing the opportunity to continue participation on a level playing field.
6) Winner is the person who has the largest %age increase.

Entry via this survey form: Picks Form (https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=DQSIkWdsW0yxEjajBLZtrQAAAAAAA AAAAAN__selM2hUNFoxRTA0VUZYODBXUEFCMkhUM0czWUVPTy4 u)

I won't publish what people are picking before Dec 31st.
If there is a stock missing from the picklist on the survey form - let me know and I will sort it quickly!

Happy Christmas / New Year everyone...and happy picking.

Oliver

Leftfield
07-12-2020, 03:36 PM
Thanks for setting this up again Oliver. Much appreciated.

Just one concern/suggestion. I note that our ST identity (ie Left Field, Sylvester Cat or whatever) is no longer applicable, but instead we will have some generated number allocated to us and will 'compete' anonymously????

If I'm right, this seems a shame as sharing knowledge of who picked what and being able to compare ourselves against brokers (and each others) was part of the fun and learning.

Can't we opt to select our own name rather than have a random anonymous number allocated to our entry?

JMHO...... and hopefully I've misunderstood things.

pierre
07-12-2020, 04:56 PM
Thanks for setting this up again Oliver. Much appreciated.

Just one concern/suggestion. I note that our ST identity (ie Left Field, Sylvester Cat or whatever) is no longer applicable, but instead we will have some generated number allocated to us and will 'compete' anonymously????

If I'm right, this seems a shame as sharing knowledge of who picked what and being able to compare ourselves against brokers (and each others) was part of the fun and learning.

Can't we opt to select our own name rather than have a random anonymous number allocated to our entry?

JMHO...... and hopefully I've misunderstood things.

I agree LF - half the fun is seeing how our ST friends are doing in the comp.

winner69
07-12-2020, 05:02 PM
I agree LF - half the fun is seeing how our ST friends are doing in the comp.

Agree

Like if Rupert posted ‘hi I’m 765374 in the comp and I’m in the top 5’ we probably wouldn’t believe it to be true

But this year we have actually seen Rupert Bear in the top 5 (think leading for a while)

Sorry Rupert Bear ...my hero :)

Grimy
07-12-2020, 07:17 PM
I'm 765374.
No. I'm 765374.
And I'm 765374...............

Looking forward to a better result than my poor one this year.
Thanks for all your work Oliver.

RupertBear
07-12-2020, 11:15 PM
Agree

Like if Rupert posted ‘hi I’m 765374 in the comp and I’m in the top 5’ we probably wouldn’t believe it to be true

But this year we have actually seen Rupert Bear in the top 5 (think leading for a while)

Sorry Rupert Bear ...my hero :)

Aww shucks Winner thats very kind, you made The Bear blush :blush::)

Oliver Mander
08-12-2020, 08:48 AM
Rupert Bear has done very well :-).
OK, will add a 'nom de plume' field to the form just in case...but not sure if I can get it to work on the front end of the new site (it is out of my hands...).
The good news is that the platform will allow us to do multiple thing like this - and hopefully spread the love and learning more effectively than my mere excel spreadsheets can!

Oliver Mander
08-12-2020, 08:51 AM
If you've already submitted and would like a nom de plume, I'll email you back to check whether you want one added in.

Leftfield
08-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Thanks Oliver..... onwards and upwards! :t_up:

Dlownz
12-12-2020, 02:46 PM
Thank you Oliver.
I enjoy this comp. My picks are all submitted for next year. Look forward to seeing how we'll they perform and everyone else's picks

iceman
16-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Hi Oliver,
Thanks for doing this again. Could you please add BOT on the NZX to the list ?

Oliver Mander
16-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Hi Oliver,
Thanks for doing this again. Could you please add BOT on the NZX to the list ?

Have done this

RupertBear
16-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Thanks for doing this again Oliver, much appreciated :)

pedro.nz
21-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Many thanks Oliver - always fun :t_up:

JoeM
23-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Hey, It wont let me continue and gives an error 'The maximum number of people have already responded to this form.'

Jojo
23-12-2020, 08:54 PM
Hello, would you please add LIV (Smartshares) to the list of stocks available.
Thanks very much.

JeremyALD
24-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Hey, It wont let me continue and gives an error 'The maximum number of people have already responded to this form.'

Same issue for me

Oliver Mander
24-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Sorry all - we should be back up now!! Not quite sure what happened there...
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

percy
27-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Broker Picks;
Forsyth Barr,...Hamilton Hindin Greene.......,Hobson Wealth....Sharetrader......Craigs...........MSL... ......Jarden
KMD......................EBO...................... .........RYM...................ATM................ EBO...........AFT.............SPK
GNE.......................MFT..................... ..........SPK....................PEB.............. ..FPH............AIA.............MFT
SPK.......................RYM..................... ..........WHS...................OCA............... MCY............HGH...........EBO
EBO......................SPK...................... ...........ATM...................PLX.............. ..MFT............PX1.............ZEL
SKL.......................ATM..................... ...........SKO....................MFT............. ..RYM............PIL..............TRA.

2020 results.
Forsyth Bar -1.5%..HHG..13.7%.HW 14%..ST 25.2%..Craigs 21.3%..MSL. 21.1%.Jarden.. 15%

Jerry
27-12-2020, 09:02 AM
When is the final date for entry please? Been busy, only just remembered this competition (oops).

winner69
27-12-2020, 09:14 AM
When is the final date for entry please? Been busy, only just remembered this competition (oops).

C'mon Jerry - use your initiative. Suppose when you were young you'd ask your Mum whats for breakfast hoping she make it for you ;) Sorry

2nd post on this thread has the rules and tells you when it closes ....

.....7pm 3rd January NZ time

Southern Lad
27-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Oliver, thanks for all your good work setting up and running this competition. The number of entries is testament to the enjoyment many receive from some friendly competition.

One point of clarification on the the closing date for the 2021 completion. I note the NZX is closed on 4 January 2021 (being a public holiday). To facilitate as many entries as possible, can you amend the closing time for entries to be 7pm NZT on the 4th rather than the 3rd?

Grimy
27-12-2020, 05:55 PM
Is RAD an option? Didn't see it on the drop down list.

Jerry
27-12-2020, 09:03 PM
Ok, grumpy. Didn't spot it there.

C'mon Jerry - use your initiative. Suppose when you were young you'd ask your Mum whats for breakfast hoping she make it for you ;) Sorry

2nd post on this thread has the rules and tells you when it closes ....

.....7pm 3rd January NZ time

tango
28-12-2020, 08:11 AM
Awesome, thanks for this.
Last year I really thought hard about my choices. This year I struggled to come up with a list so I put in a punt. Now I will have to analyse it and decide whether to invest some real $$$ in the punt as 1 of the 5 isn’t one I already own

winner69
28-12-2020, 08:19 AM
Ok, grumpy. Didn't spot it there.

Sorry for being grumpy Jerry

beetills
28-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Didn't see NZL drop down.Will they be an option.

Jerry
28-12-2020, 04:56 PM
S'OK, Winner. I never had to ask, fried egg; and anyone found in the kitchen until they were called got a wet dishcloth round the ears.

Jerry
28-12-2020, 04:59 PM
Same here, Tango. The difference being one can punt on things without regard to moral principles. Like, whether I want to encourage churches to tax their followers. Pushpay.

tango
28-12-2020, 05:06 PM
Same here, Tango. The difference being one can punt on things without regard to moral principles. Like, whether I want to encourage churches to tax their followers. Pushpay.

The way I see it is that the churchgoers are already going to donate, the app simply facilitates it. Once upon a time push pay had plans to use the app to collect donations from a range of charitable organisations and then decided to settle on churches. I would be more interested in push pay if it widened their pool of customers

JimmyTrade
29-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Next year pickings is going to be interesting to see how many pick recovery stocks, value stock and growth stocks which the economic tension, vaccinations and potential mutation of COVID-19 to more resistant strains not to mention the dynamics in China at the moment!

hamish
29-12-2020, 05:32 PM
https://youtu.be/5al-Fg10U6g

Link to YouTube video for 2021 broker picks and share trader top 5 thus far for those interested.

percy
29-12-2020, 05:40 PM
Broker Picks;
Forsyth Barr,...Hamilton Hindin Greene.......,Hobson Wealth....Sharetrader......Craigs...........MSL... ......Jarden
KMD......................EBO...................... .........RYM...................ATM................ EBO...........AFT.............SPK
GNE.......................MFT..................... ..........SPK....................PEB.............. ..FPH............AIA.............MFT
SPK.......................RYM..................... ..........WHS...................OCA............... MCY............HGH...........EBO
EBO......................SPK...................... ...........ATM...................PLX.............. ..MFT............PX1.............ZEL
SKL.......................ATM..................... ...........SKO....................MFT............. ..RYM............PIL..............TRA.

2020 results.
Forsyth Bar -1.5%..HHG..13.7%.HW 14%..ST 25.2%..Craigs 21.3%..MSL. 21.1%.Jarden.. 15%

Above posted 27-12-2020 post # 20 page 1 of this thread.

winner69
29-12-2020, 06:18 PM
https://youtu.be/5al-Fg10U6g

Link to YouTube video for 2021 broker picks and share trader top 5 thus far for those interested.

Joshua could beat all of us with those picks eh Hamish

hamish
29-12-2020, 07:08 PM
More than likely winner. . Have tried for 3peat on my picks this year.. Boom or bust.. . Fortunately so far, they beat no resemblance to real portfolio. All the best

Anna Naum
30-12-2020, 10:04 PM
I was going to suggest a stock but not $10m

Oliver Mander
31-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Oliver, thanks for all your good work setting up and running this competition. The number of entries is testament to the enjoyment many receive from some friendly competition.

One point of clarification on the the closing date for the 2021 completion. I note the NZX is closed on 4 January 2021 (being a public holiday). To facilitate as many entries as possible, can you amend the closing time for entries to be 7pm NZT on the 4th rather than the 3rd?

No worries Southern Lad! A good point...will keep it open until the night before market open.

Oliver Mander
31-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Also - RAD and NZL have now been added...apologies for the oversight.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

RGR367
01-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Entry submitted. Thank you once again Oliver for getting NZSA and Sharesight backing you on this game too.

SouthernSlim
03-01-2021, 08:36 PM
Hi Oliver i put in an enntry for 2021 competition but have not had any communication regards my entry and dont have a link .can you lead me in the right direction,Thanks Southern slim

Tomtom
04-01-2021, 07:35 AM
Broker Picks;

2020 results.
Forsyth Bar -1.5%..HHG..13.7%.HW 14%..ST 25.2%..Craigs 21.3%..MSL. 21.1%.Jarden.. 15% Seriously, not even one was willing to take even a slight risk?

Entered of course. 🙂

airedale
04-01-2021, 01:30 PM
Hopefully not too late as the NZX is still closed today.
SKT
VGL
KMD
SML
AIR
Discl..The Dogs Of The Dow Theory

ratkin
05-01-2021, 06:13 AM
Seriously, not even one was willing to take even a slight risk?

Entered of course. 

If you want to win these things you have to pick a few of the really small companies, capable of huge percentage gains (or losses)
I never do very well as just pick the stocks I actually own.
Last year went WHS EBOS SUM IFT Cash. Which was pretty much my NZ portfolio. They all did well, but I was still way down the list with a 20% gain.

The brokers face similar issues which is why their selections are seen as boring. They tend to pick the stocks they recommend to their clients, which are generally the steady investment stocks.

Oliver Mander
05-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Hi Oliver i put in an enntry for 2021 competition but have not had any communication regards my entry and dont have a link .can you lead me in the right direction,Thanks Southern slim

Hi Southern Slim...entries closed last night, so will collate everything today and you should get the link soon!!

Oliver Mander
05-01-2021, 11:15 AM
If you want to win these things you have to pick a few of the really small companies, capable of huge percentage gains (or losses)
Last year went WHS EBOS SUM IFT Cash. Which was pretty much my NZ portfolio. They all did well, but I was still way down the list with a 20% gain.

The brokers face similar issues which is why their selections are seen as boring. They tend to pick the stocks they recommend to their clients, which are generally the steady investment stocks.

Agree with ratkin's assessment. Risk / return, plus a longer-term investment outlook affects the overall outcome. Generally, the 'sharetrader' group tends to have a slightly riskier outlook in its picks, although even that is obviated when you 'aggregate' across the herd for the most popular selections.

Snoopy
05-01-2021, 01:11 PM

'Snap' ratkin. Got a 20% return myself in the 2020 competition although without picking 'cash'. That means your share returns were consummately better than mine. So I would say to you, very well done!

Like you I pick representative shares that I actually own. I see no purpose in trying to 'win' the competition because, as you point out, this would generally require extreme risk taking which you can do in a competition because there is no real downside if you get it wrong. But if you just regard the competition as a bit of fun, there is of course nothing wrong with 'playing to win'. I use the competition to track my returns during the year, and that it does for me very well.

SNOOPY

Tomtom
05-01-2021, 03:53 PM
If you want to win these things you have to pick a few of the really small companies, capable of huge percentage gains (or losses)... Just register yourself a few times if you are really desperate to win.

Some of the usernames people have input are quite entertaining. I'm learning a lot from Urban Dictionary today!

05-01-2021, 04:42 PM
What is this entry trying to tell us?

599031 STU,STU,STU,STU,STU,STU

davflaws
05-01-2021, 05:31 PM
I have been a "buzz hunter" all my adult life, but the risks I take are (almost) all calculated ones. All my picks every year are shares that I actually hold in my portfolio of 8. In 2020 I got lucky.

For 2021, I think OCA is likely to better than SUM, and SKL and HGH (my other two holdings) also seem unlikely to rocket away from their currently gratifyingly high prices. We shall see!

GLTAH

newtrader
05-01-2021, 06:36 PM
Are all entries publicly available somewhere?

Ferg
05-01-2021, 08:12 PM
Thanks for setting this up. Some quick and dirty stats:

352 entrants
125 unique stock picks

Top 5 picks:

ATM 137 including 12 as backup
OCA 117 including 8 as backup
PEB 92 including 5 as backup
PX1 82 including 8 as backup
MFT 77 including 10 as a backup

Top 5 make up 24% of all picks, top 10 is 39%, top 15 48%, top 20 55% and top 25 is 61%. We aren't quite getting the 80/20 Pareto principle given 25 is 20% of 125 unique stocks picked.

New listings did not fare well:

RUA 2 picks
HMY 7 picks (ranked 74th equal)
NZL and RAD each had 1 pick

Top 10 entities by market capitalisation did not fare well either, other than ATM and FPH which made the top 10:

WBC ranked 35th with 17 picks
ANZ 36th= with 16
TLS 111st= (1 pick)
MEL 54th= with 11
FPH 10th with 58
AIA 18th= with 31
AFI = nil
MCY 46th= with 13
ATM 1st with 137
SPK 21st= with 28
FCT = nil
RYM 21st= with 28

That is 12 but I added 2 given AFI and FCT have zero picks.

Most popular of the 2020 underperformers:

SKT with 60 picks (ranked 9th)
SML & VGL 24 picks each
KMD 22 picks
GTK 12 picks

Leftfield
06-01-2021, 07:58 AM
Are all entries publicly available somewhere?

They will be..... Patience grasshopper. I'm sure our esteemed Oliver will post the details to a site when he gets time.

alokdhir
06-01-2021, 08:18 AM
They will be..... Patience grasshopper. I'm sure our esteemed Oliver will post the details to a site when he gets time.

If you go the Sharesight via the link sent to you via email ...then one can track and see all entires on daily basis ...including one's current position :t_up:

Leftfield
06-01-2021, 09:38 AM
If you go the Sharesight via the link sent to you via email ...then one can track and see all entires on daily basis ...including one's current position :t_up:

Thanks..... I've been away, and don't think I got the email you refer to. No big deal.

06-01-2021, 09:44 AM
email came from sharesight.

Leftfield
06-01-2021, 09:45 AM
email came from sharesight.

Magic...... just arrived in my email today. Looking great.

RupertBear
06-01-2021, 10:05 AM
Great set up thanks Oliver, works really well :)

CD_CHCH
06-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Hmmm - I didn't receive an email from Sharesight and I see others have said the same. Hopefully all those who entered will receive a link over the next couple of days. Probably a massive task to collate everything.

TideMan
06-01-2021, 03:47 PM
Excellent. Works really well.
I registered before the facility to have a moniker was available.
How can I do that now?
My no is 598958 (which is a very nice number) and I'd like that to be TideMan.

iceman
07-01-2021, 08:44 AM
Just set up the Sharesight link. That's a neat little addition Oliver. Thank you.

Jay
07-01-2021, 11:47 AM
How can I do that now?

Same here Oliver, I think I pm'd you but the change has not be made
No. is 598963 and I'd like that to be Jay
Thanks

DarkHorse
07-01-2021, 11:58 AM
I haven't entered (due to a lack of recent focus on NZX stocks) but would be keen to see the picks if that's possible please??? (to guide to some NZX stocks to look into)

clips
07-01-2021, 02:05 PM
list of picks ranked by popularity would be interesting, cheers

winner69
07-01-2021, 02:19 PM
list of picks ranked by popularity would be interesting, cheers

Ferg did this a few posts back ...good effort by Ferg

ATM the most popular by far :t_up:

winner69
07-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Thanks for setting this up. Some quick and dirty stats:

352 entrants
125 unique stock picks

Top 5 picks:

ATM 137 including 12 as backup
OCA 117 including 8 as backup
PEB 92 including 5 as backup
PX1 82 including 8 as backup
MFT 77 including 10 as a backup

Top 5 make up 24% of all picks, top 10 is 39%, top 15 48%, top 20 55% and top 25 is 61%. We aren't quite getting the 80/20 Pareto principle given 25 is 20% of 125 unique stocks picked.

New listings did not fare well:

RUA 2 picks
HMY 7 picks (ranked 74th equal)
NZL and RAD each had 1 pick

Top 10 entities by market capitalisation did not fare well either, other than ATM and FPH which made the top 10:

WBC ranked 35th with 17 picks
ANZ 36th= with 16
TLS 111st= (1 pick)
MEL 54th= with 11
FPH 10th with 58
AIA 18th= with 31
AFI = nil
MCY 46th= with 13
ATM 1st with 137
SPK 21st= with 28
FCT = nil
RYM 21st= with 28

That is 12 but I added 2 given AFI and FCT have zero picks.

Most popular of the 2020 underperformers:

SKT with 60 picks (ranked 9th)
SML & VGL 24 picks each
KMD 22 picks
GTK 12 picks

Just For clips

Timesurfer
07-01-2021, 02:28 PM

It can't possibly go lower can it?
Safe pick for the competition.
Put my own money on it .... lets just see how this month pans out.

Ferg
08-01-2021, 11:29 PM
Thanks winner Here is the full list. Picks is total picks 1 to 6. Backups is the number of times that stock code was pick #6.

Code
Picks
BackUps
Rank

ATM

OCA

PEB

PX1

MFT

HGH

EBO

IFT

SKT

FPH

AIR

HLG

STU

ZEL

PPH

FBU

IKE

AIA

ARV

SKO

BLT

RYM

SPK

AFT

KPG

ERD

SML

VGL

FRE

KMD

THL

APL

SUM

TWR

WBC

ANZ

CVT

SAN

SKC

GNE

MPG

NZO

POT

SKL

CDI

ALF

MCY

EVO

GTK

MCK

RAK

TLT

WHS

MEL

SCL

TRU

WDT

ARB

BRM

MHJ

NWF

SCT

BOT

CAV

CEN

MLN

BGP

CBD

CNU

FNZ

NZR

TRA

VTL

ARG

GEN

HMY

NTL

GXH

MEE

PGW

TLL

DGL

FSF

MOA

NPH

NZX

QEX

SPY

MMH

RBD

SDL

SEK

TNZ

AMP

DIV

JLG

MHM

NZK

PIL

PYS

USG

ASF

ENS

FWL

OZY

PFI

PLX

RUA

TWF

USF

AGL

CGF

CMO

FCG

KFL

MDZ

MZY

NPF

NZL

NZM

PCT

RAD

SPN

TLS

VCT

If anyone is interested, here is the VBA code used to analyse the data published for the competition and to output the picks into a list.

Option Explicit

Dim MyPicks(500) As MyStock 'Export array for all picks
Dim StkCount As Long 'Counter to record number of unique picks

Sub GetStats()

Dim LC As Long 'Loop
Dim AllPicks() As Variant 'Import array

AllPicks = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B2:B353").Value
StkCount = 1

MyPicks(1).Code = Left$(AllPicks(1, 1), 3)

For LC = 1 To 352
Call ProcessPick(Left$(AllPicks(LC, 1), 3))
Call ProcessPick(Mid$(AllPicks(LC, 1), 5, 3))
Call ProcessPick(Mid$(AllPicks(LC, 1), 9, 3))
Call ProcessPick(Mid$(AllPicks(LC, 1), 13, 3))
Call ProcessPick(Mid$(AllPicks(LC, 1), 17, 3))
Call ProcessPick(Right$(AllPicks(LC, 1), 3), True)
Next LC

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2")
For LC = 1 To StkCount
.Range("A" & LC).Value = MyPicks(LC).Code
.Range("B" & LC).Value = MyPicks(LC).Count
.Range("C" & LC).Value = MyPicks(LC).BackUp
Next LC
End With

MsgBox "Finished processing picks", vbInformation, "Done"

End Sub

Sub ProcessPick(NewPick As String, Optional IsBackUp As Boolean)

Dim NewStk As Long

NewStk = CheckNew(NewPick)
If NewStk = 0 Then
StkCount = StkCount + 1
MyPicks(StkCount).Code = NewPick
MyPicks(StkCount).Count = 1
NewStk = StkCount
Else
MyPicks(NewStk).Count = MyPicks(NewStk).Count + 1
End If
If IsBackUp Then MyPicks(NewStk).BackUp = MyPicks(NewStk).BackUp + 1

End Sub

Function CheckNew(CodeToCheck As String) As Long

Dim IL As Long

CheckNew = 0

For IL = 1 To StkCount
If MyPicks(IL).Code = CodeToCheck Then
CheckNew = IL
Exit For
End If
Next IL

End Function

Also in a separate module:

Option Explicit

Public Type MyStock
Code As String
Count As Long
BackUp As Long
End Type

Snow Leopard
09-01-2021, 02:25 AM
....If anyone is interested, here is the VBA code used to analyse the data published for the competition and to output the picks into a list.

Option Explicit

Sub GetStats()

Dim LC As Long 'Loop

StkCount = 1

For LC = 1 To 352
Next LC

For LC = 1 To StkCount
Next LC
End With

End Sub

Dim NewStk As Long

If NewStk = 0 Then
StkCount = StkCount + 1
NewStk = StkCount
Else
End If

End Sub

Dim IL As Long

CheckNew = 0

For IL = 1 To StkCount
CheckNew = IL
Exit For
End If
Next IL

End Function

Option Explicit

Public Type MyStock
Code As String
Count As Long
BackUp As Long
End Type

Don't let Waltzing ?Matilda? see that. ;)

Oliver Mander
09-01-2021, 08:42 PM
What is this entry trying to tell us?

599031 STU,STU,STU,STU,STU,STU

I know about this...left it in there on purpose, shall be revealed later!

Oliver Mander
09-01-2021, 08:45 PM
How can I do that now?

Will talk to the brains behind the operation to see if we can update it...

Oliver Mander
09-01-2021, 08:46 PM
Same here Oliver, I think I pm'd you but the change has not be made
No. is 598963 and I'd like that to be Jay
Thanks

Sorry Jay, will get onto it.

Oliver Mander
09-01-2021, 08:47 PM

Awesome work by the Ferg :-)! Appreciated...I was out of range while the questions were coming in!

Pricey
09-01-2021, 09:38 PM
STU,STU,STU,STU,STU,STU

A little nest egg treat. I like it.

hyinvest
09-01-2021, 10:26 PM
Thanks winner Here is the full list. Picks is total picks 1 to 6. Backups is the number of times that stock code was pick #6.

Code
Picks
BackUps
Rank

ATM

OCA

PEB

PX1

MFT

HGH

EBO

IFT

SKT

FPH

AIR

HLG

STU

ZEL

PPH

FBU

IKE

AIA

ARV

SKO

BLT

RYM

SPK

AFT

KPG

ERD

SML

VGL

FRE

KMD

THL

APL

SUM

TWR

WBC

ANZ

CVT

SAN

SKC

GNE

MPG

NZO

POT

SKL

CDI

ALF

MCY

EVO

GTK

MCK

RAK

TLT

WHS

MEL

SCL

TRU

WDT

ARB

BRM

MHJ

NWF

SCT

BOT

CAV

CEN

MLN

BGP

CBD

CNU

FNZ

NZR

TRA

VTL

ARG

GEN

HMY

NTL

GXH

MEE

PGW

TLL

DGL

FSF

MOA

NPH

NZX

QEX

SPY

MMH

RBD

SDL

SEK

TNZ

AMP

DIV

JLG

MHM

NZK

PIL

PYS

USG

ASF

ENS

FWL

OZY

PFI

PLX

RUA

TWF

USF

AGL

CGF

CMO

FCG

KFL

MDZ

MZY

NPF

NZL

NZM

PCT

RAD

SPN

TLS

VCT

If anyone is interested, here is the VBA code used to analyse the data published for the competition and to output the picks into a list.

Option Explicit

Sub GetStats()

Dim LC As Long 'Loop

StkCount = 1

For LC = 1 To 352
Next LC

For LC = 1 To StkCount
Next LC
End With

End Sub

Dim NewStk As Long

If NewStk = 0 Then
StkCount = StkCount + 1
NewStk = StkCount
Else
End If

End Sub

Dim IL As Long

CheckNew = 0

For IL = 1 To StkCount
CheckNew = IL
Exit For
End If
Next IL

End Function

Option Explicit

Public Type MyStock
Code As String
Count As Long
BackUp As Long
End Type

@Ferg
Thanks for sharing the code. From where can I download the full dataset?

Ferg
10-01-2021, 01:51 PM
I got the full dataset from the link I was provided that shows my placing. If you are entered into the competition, then you should have an e-mail with the link. If you are going to use the code, then it goes into the Workbook VBA section and the last part goes into a new module in the same spreadsheet. Since I did this a couple more entries have entered. Be aware that I hard coded 352 and 353 into 2 places in the first macro which you will need to amend if there are more than 352 entries. Copy and paste the web data into Sheet1 in Excel. Make sure the picks are in column B and make sure Sheet 2 exists.

tango
13-01-2021, 10:17 AM
I picked RAK which is not a share I currently own but I am beginning to wish I had bought it when I made my entry!

DarkHorse
13-01-2021, 04:07 PM
Could we please see a list of who picked what? (even if we're not contestants)? I find that really interesting and useful :)

Oliver Mander
13-01-2021, 10:18 PM
Could we please see a list of who picked what? (even if we're not contestants)? I find that really interesting and useful :)

Will get onto it Dark Horse :-). Just getting back into gear after being away...will build a bit on Ferg's summary and pop a link up with some info.

DarkHorse
15-01-2021, 11:47 AM
That's kind thank you. Take your time :)

Oliver Mander
23-01-2021, 03:53 PM
Punters' picks: Retail investors select their hot stocks for 2021 - NZ Herald (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/punters-picks-retail-investors-select-their-hot-stocks-for-2021/3IJMGFN4IIZLK3BMT5JDJZWVO4/)

Also - as per DarkHorse request, here is a link to a spready showing the picks, along with a pareto curve showing the most popular. Note that I've excluded the 'backup' from this...

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AuUMI8ycnlsfh5F1IthnJ7GpfoEKYg?e=pQ8mhU

Ferg
24-01-2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks Oliver. The article is behind a paywall. Is there a full transcript of that article? I presume given we are the subject of that article it would be ok to copy > paste it into here?

Oliver Mander
25-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Thanks Oliver. The article is behind a paywall. Is there a full transcript of that article? I presume given we are the subject of that article it would be ok to copy > paste it into here?

Not sure the Herald would see it that way - is copyright to them (even if I wrote it).

The bones of the analysis are all in the spreadsheet above - one of the things in the article is the relative consistency of retail investor selections over 4 years, and it also highlights the picks of the individuals that topped the 2020 comp.

Entrep
25-01-2021, 11:09 AM
Entire article on content from this site and they couldn't even give one lousy backlink. Is that NZH editorial policy?

Dlownz
26-01-2021, 06:51 PM
Entire article on content from this site and they couldn't even give one lousy backlink. Is that NZH editorial policy?
Herald premium isn't that bad and doesn't really cost much at all. I enjoy it. Got tired of clicking on articles and finding them locked

DarkHorse
26-01-2021, 07:46 PM
Punters' picks: Retail investors select their hot stocks for 2021 - NZ Herald (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/punters-picks-retail-investors-select-their-hot-stocks-for-2021/3IJMGFN4IIZLK3BMT5JDJZWVO4/)

Also - as per DarkHorse request, here is a link to a spready showing the picks, along with a pareto curve showing the most popular. Note that I've excluded the 'backup' from this...

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AuUMI8ycnlsfh5F1IthnJ7GpfoEKYg?e=pQ8mhU

Great job thank you Oliver.

Norwest
03-02-2021, 10:08 PM
With NWF being on a fantastic run up, its no suprises to see the Top 5 players all holding NWF.

Position
Portfolio
Picks
Cash Balance
Unpaid Dividends
Total Value

Dassets
NWF,WDT,WBC,SPY,STU,ANZ
-

gbogo
NWF,MPG,IKE,SPY,TRU,SCT
-

Haewai
ARB,CAV,NWF,SKT,WDT,GTK
-

Jantar
NWF,HLG,GNE,OCA,HGH,SKL
-

Norwest
ZEL,TWR,SKT,NWF,STU,OCA
-

Keerti
OCA,HGH,HLG,MDZ,SKT,FNZ
-

Beagle
HGH,HLG,OCA,TRA,ARV,GNE
-

Dlownz
SKT,OCA,ZEL,WDT,GNE,PYS
-

Southernslim
HGH,AIA,HLG,OCA,SKT,AIR
-

FRE,OCA,FBU,EBO,CNU,SCL
-

Jiggs
23-02-2021, 10:14 PM
I notice that after 7 weeks, the top 5 picks have DROPPED in price by an average of about 8% since the 1st of January.

The first five of the bottom picks (AGL, CGF, CMO, FCG, KFL) have GONE UP by an average of more than 4%.

Dassets
16-04-2021, 08:21 PM
Interesting that NZX50 has dropped by 5.1% so far this year but 250 odd out of 360 are better than the market. I found when I was a fund manager that it actually came down to people. You can out-perform passive in NZ(and elsewhere IMO). The bulk of the studies do not serve NZ market well. However the gatekeepers like to believe the consultants because the gatekeepers generally have no clue and want to be able to defend either themselves or their distribution channels.

traineeinvestor
05-05-2021, 10:10 PM
Interesting portfolio at the top of the table:

06-05-2021, 09:12 AM

Refer post #70

Oliver Mander
10-05-2021, 08:26 PM

Mark Malpass, CEO of Steel and Tube, will be pretty happy with that. Suspect that diversification might still be the better option in the long run...

Habits
12-05-2021, 01:28 PM
The nz herald headline reads "What makes women better investors than men"

Paywalled:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-finance/news/article.cfm?c_id=12&objectid=12441165

My immediate instinct was 'yeah sure!... sexist'. I have not read the article yet so dont know whats their reasoning.

Sorry this is off-topic, but I thought as you all are competing for the best return you will have insight on this. Girls will beat the boys?

Dassets
22-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Interesting that NZX50 has dropped by 5.1% so far this year but 250 odd out of 360 are better than the market. I found when I was a fund manager that it actually came down to people. You can out-perform passive in NZ(and elsewhere IMO). The bulk of the studies do not serve NZ market well. However the gatekeepers like to believe the consultants because the gatekeepers generally have no clue and want to be able to defend either themselves or their distribution channels.

Now 225/360 still outperforming market, this is going to be interesting, you could almost make a study out of this. There have always been suspicions that in the NZ market you can outperform index funds which isn't(or at least from my out of date study) the international research conclusion. HINT HINT to any money and finance undergrads or postgrads might be a decent ready made study right here.

LaserEyeKiwi
23-05-2021, 01:14 AM
Now 225/360 still outperforming market, this is going to be interesting, you could almost make a study out of this. There have always been suspicions that in the NZ market you can outperform index funds which isn't(or at least from my out of date study) the international research conclusion. HINT HINT to any money and finance undergrads or postgrads might be a decent ready made study right here.

wouldn’t surprise me, there is little decent media coverage of many stocks (outside the large caps) listed on NZX, and large amount of investors take a long time (if ever) to become aware of relevant developments. As such it often takes days/weeks for significant fundamental changes in listed businesses to be fully priced in to share prices (sometimes even it’s months until the earnings release).

Oliver Mander
29-06-2021, 03:38 PM
bit of an update up there now - 6 month review!
will be more regular for the second half of the year...

percy
29-06-2021, 05:38 PM
I can not remember where to find the competition.?

Beagle
29-06-2021, 05:48 PM
Hey Percy,
I got a personalized link to the sharesight competition sent to me on 5 January 2021 so check your inbox on that date and hit the link and it should take you to the competition and highlight your current position. You're currently 67th out of 360...top quartile position, you're doing well and I would has at a guess much better in your real portfolio ;)

percy
29-06-2021, 06:09 PM
Hey Percy,
I got a personalized link to the sharesight competition sent to me on 5 January 2021 so check your inbox on that date and hit the link and it should take you to the competition and highlight your current position. You're currently 67th out of 360...top quartile position, you're doing well and I would has at a guess much better in your real portfolio ;)

Ha ha.
Thanks.
How do you check your inbox going back months.
Yes I think I filed it somewhere.
But where.?

percy
29-06-2021, 06:12 PM
Hey Percy,

Ha ha.
Thanks.
How do you check your inbox going back months.
Yes I think I filed it somewhere.
But where.?
Easy as ..Found it under my own name...
Thanks knowing the date made it easy.

mikeybycrikey
29-06-2021, 09:05 PM
I might have to keep better track of the Sharesight email next year. I've got access to my Sharesight portfolio for the comp but can't see an overall page. I'm possibly just being a bit daft and not seeing something obvious.

Oliver Mander
29-06-2021, 11:05 PM
Will see if I can figure out a way to resend them...!

whirly
30-06-2021, 08:54 AM
I might have to keep better track of the Sharesight email next year. I've got access to my Sharesight portfolio for the comp but can't see an overall page. I'm possibly just being a bit daft and not seeing something obvious.

I've been in exactly the same boat all year.

Will see if I can figure out a way to resend them...!

This would be appreciated for sure. Cheers W.

Oliver Mander
02-07-2021, 11:21 AM
Hi all...for those of you who have entered but lost the email link, head for Share Game (https://sharegame.nz/) and enter your email address. The good people at Sharesight will re-send the link.

whirly
02-07-2021, 11:51 AM
Thank you Very much Oliver.

iceman
03-07-2021, 09:27 AM
From NZ Herald today https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/brokers-picks-mid-year-sharemarket-progress-good-bad-and-ugly/IB4XY3U34VHXXPDJ6PDW5ZJ6IE/

For those not able to read it, we have a 6 months update as follows:
Forsyth Barr +20.7%
Jarden +19.4%
Craigs + 7.8%
Hobson Wealth +6.4%
HHG - 0.5%
MSL -1.6%
ST -7.0%

ATM has done a lot of damage to ST, MSL & HHG and overall we are bottom of the table :-(

iceman
03-07-2021, 09:31 AM
From NZ Herald today https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/brokers-picks-mid-year-sharemarket-progress-good-bad-and-ugly/IB4XY3U34VHXXPDJ6PDW5ZJ6IE/

Forsyth Barr +20.7%
Jarden +19.4%
Craigs + 7.8%
Hobson Wealth +6.4%
HHG - 0.5%
MSL -1.6%
ST -7.0%

ATM has done a lot of damage to ST, MSL & HHG and overall we are bottom of the table :-(

Oliver Mander
03-07-2021, 09:51 AM
Mirrors the update I posted on the share game site (unsurprisingly). ATM and PX1 have had a big impact on the "collective wisdom" element. But some of the other trends are interesting - like 2/3's of the participants ahead of the NZX50 (its normally around 50%). The second element is the fact that many of us pick small-cap stocks - that helps to balance returns longer-term.

Snoopy
03-07-2021, 10:59 AM

Forsyth Barr +20.7%
Jarden +19.4%
Craigs + 7.8%
Hobson Wealth +6.4%
HHG - 0.5%
MSL -1.6%
ST -7.0%

These returns look a lot higher than the returns in the 'Sharesight' competition, the one that Oliver has so kindly reposted the link to. I am guessing that the 6 month returns have been annualised. IOW the +20.7% return for Forbarr is actually +10.35% over six months?

SNOOPY

Beagle
03-07-2021, 04:11 PM
Forbar and Jarden have done well for their clients but the following posters have done better at the half way point. Congrats to all who are ahead of the leading brokers.

Position Portfolio Picks Cash Balance Unpaid Dividends Total Value
1 traineeinvestor AGL,ENS,GEN,STU,VTL,ARB 156.45 - 15,561.72
2 Timesurfer IKE,SKO,ENS,ATM,POT,ERD 41.89 - 14,448.48
3 Haewai ARB,CAV,NWF,SKT,WDT,GTK 12.80 - 13,409.11
4 Dassets NWF,WDT,WBC,SPY,STU,ANZ 90.12 - 12,966.46
5 601405 WDT,NZR,CVT,CAV,ARB,NTL 0.00 - 12,917.99
6 Do Dah IFT,RAK,TWR,SKL,STU,GNE 73.48 47.18 12,764.23
7 TheHunter ARB,NZR,STU,ZEL,WBC,MPG 158.74 - 12,747.19
8 Madame Selena IKE,TLT,IFT,GTK,RAK,AFT 27.54 - 12,741.44
9 Outbreak CAV,FBU,RAK,IFT,EBO,AIR 76.58 - 12,733.79
10 599031 STU,STU,STU,STU,STU,STU 87.17 - 12,560.29
11 Oracle of Naenae PEB,ERD,CVT,STU,RAK,FBU 17.43 - 12,467.57
12 rocketman MHJ,SKL,EBO,FRE,BGP,HLG 171.62 - 12,419.42
13 Lion IFT,MFT,FBU,SKO,VGL,MEL 54.81 - 12,349.50
14 Beagle HGH,HLG,OCA,TRA,ARV,GNE 222.55 - 12,277.92
15 Face IFT,VGL,FRE,MFT,ERD,HGH 56.23 - 12,273.39
16 Ballr ALF,APL,IKE,RAK,WHS,ERD 173.23 - 12,081.45
17 Diatribe ARV,HGH,MPG,NZR,STU,NPH 84.35 - 12,059.63
18 Sylvor KMD,WBC,MPG,HGH,SPK,CAV 175.17 - 12,031.38
19 Felix ARB,STU,AIA,MFT,ALF,EBO 17.44 - 11,975.35
20 offsider FBU,SKT,ERD,IFT,HGH,STU 99.64 - 11,957.73
21 killdevilhills ALF,ARB,HGH,QEX,WDT,CDI 44.84 - 11,953.84
22 JohnnyTheHorseHGH,TWR,ARV,HLG,MHJ,GNE 176.08 47.18 11,934.30
23 Jantar NWF,HLG,GNE,OCA,HGH,SKL 195.11 - 11,918.83
24 RedMe MHJ,WHS,PEB,KMD,TWR,ARV 187.54 47.18 11,850.14
25 LD_CHCH ANZ,BRM,WHS,RYM,STU,ZEL 278.92 - 11,789.16
26 JoeM ARV,OCA,KPG,HGH,SKL,FSF 164.80 - 11,770.10
27 601502 ARG,HGH,IFT,SKL,OCA,KPG 172.87 - 11,703.07
28 Hamish VGL,WBC,SKC,SKT,PPH,ZEL 59.89 - 11,642.0

Beagle
03-07-2021, 04:11 PM

wizAlvin
31-07-2021, 10:45 PM
- please excuse interruption - 1 hour 15 min left for crypto competition - thanks

wizAlvin
12-08-2021, 12:22 PM
crypto comp has results time to time. how goes the nzx comp? must look and have a go next year as it seems the less i know about anything eg shares /crypto/etc - the better i do. :) reckon i'll give this a go next year as i have no clue on nz shares and i do love wooden spoons. thanks.
just looked at nz results - wow!

clearasmud
28-08-2021, 05:54 PM
Can I please have a link to the results or could anyone tell me what my picks were if indeed I entered in time?

percy
28-08-2021, 06:34 PM
Can I please have a link to the results or could anyone tell me what my picks were if indeed I entered in time?

You are currently 194 th out of 360.
You picks were;STU.ATM.MCK.MHJ.OCA.CDI

winner69
28-08-2021, 06:41 PM

Is beagle still in the Top 10

percy
28-08-2021, 06:44 PM
1 Haewai ARB,CAV,NWF,SKT,WDT,GTK 12.80 - 15,753.88
2 601405 WDT,NZR,CVT,CAV,ARB,NTL 0.00 - 15,715.19
3 TheHunter ARB,NZR,STU,ZEL,WBC,MPG 158.74 - 14,332.99
4 traineeinvestor AGL,ENS,GEN,STU,VTL,ARB 156.45 - 14,084.67
5 Dassets NWF,WDT,WBC,SPY,STU,ANZ 90.12 - 13,835.32
6 Outbreak CAV,FBU,RAK,IFT,EBO,AIR 76.58 40.88 13,643.84
7 killdevilhills ALF,ARB,HGH,QEX,WDT,CDI 44.84 - 13,339.89
8 Timesurfer IKE,SKO,ENS,ATM,POT,ERD 41.89 - 13,153.41
9 598970 ARV,NWF,ZEL,TLL,GXH,PPH 116.30 - 13,120.85
10 Waikaka ZEL,KPG,NWF,IFT,NZR,STU 159.71 - 13,070.12

24th Beagle

clearasmud
29-08-2021, 03:48 PM

Thanks Percy!
ATM wiped out my other gains

Joshuatree
02-09-2021, 12:39 PM
How do NZ comp results(cant find them) compare with ASX comp (easy to find thanks to Wizz)
ASX comp 1st place 242% gain
10th 31.4% gain
20th 10.82%
30th 5.2% gain
40th-3.9%
50th -26.39%

02-09-2021, 03:14 PM
Removed....

Oliver Mander
03-09-2021, 12:15 AM
Hiya Joshuatree...my apologies, I thought I posted the link earlier. Head for https://sharegame.nz - and then enter you email address to get your personalised link. PM me if you have any issues.

As of right now, the top 5 have returns of between 40-62%.

Waikaka
06-09-2021, 08:42 AM
I try not to be too focused on short term results and the junk I buy usually goes down for a lot longer than the one year that the competition runs so generally do pretty poorly in shorter time frames.

But this year seems like I choose a few stocks that decided to turn around a lot quicker than I could have normally hoped for.

Joshuatree
18-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Thanks but I can't be bothered registering.Didnt used to be like this.

tango
22-09-2021, 02:20 PM
I had TLT in my picks. Will that be removed to make way for my 6th selection or moved into cash??? For the life of me I can’t remember what my standby pick was

I’m doing okay at the moment (beating Beagle!) but I suspect that will all change when TLT is removed

wizAlvin
27-09-2021, 12:05 PM
please excuse the intrusion - crypto competition is at : https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?12127-2021-Yearly-Crypto-Currency-Competition
hope all you go-getters - got!

tango
28-09-2021, 07:08 PM
Hey Oliver, what happens to TLT? Is there any adjustment now that has been removed from the NZX?

Oliver Mander
29-09-2021, 12:22 AM
Hi Tango! Definitely need to adjust for TLT.
Will try to sort this out at month-end...

tango
29-09-2021, 10:16 AM
Thanks so much! I don’t think I have a backup pick. I can’t remember. January 2021 seems a world away…

TheHunter
07-10-2021, 09:44 PM
Bloody RAK has pushed me from 2nd/3rd to 7th :p RAK, ARB and WDT seem to have been some of the main winners here so far.

First time in this, does the winner get a prize?

Good luck all.

Dassets
05-11-2021, 06:17 PM
Is QEX going to be valued at 0? It should be.

Arthur
06-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Speaking of 0, how's that Tesla short going Dassets? Over $50 billion lost by shorts so far, about $20 billion more than the capital raised by Tesla.

Dassets
06-11-2021, 07:00 PM
Yes lucky that wasn't in the competition. Still at 6th I am the 5th loser. Can't seem to find your picks though. I closed my shorts mid-feb and re-opened a very small position recently which is currently against me. Going to start adding. Frankly you can see what the buyers think when Avis doubled. Certainly isn't fundamental just trading psychology, fear and greed.

iceman
11-12-2021, 08:36 PM
Thanks but I can't be bothered registering.Didnt used to be like this.

That says nothing about the competition being moved into the 21st Century but all about you being a troglodyte. Thanks Oliver for your work

Dassets
12-12-2021, 09:17 PM
PS I Re=established at pretty good prices a couple of weeks ago., badly cut this out of a statement.

Air New Zealand
Tesla M 27.11.21 03:34:16 Sell O1-9S-60JYFX T1-9S-45EGLR Tesla Motors Inc xxxxx 1,097.88 xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx 0.00
27.11.21 03:44:47 Sell O1-9S-60K16F T1-9S-45EK4Q Tesla Motors Inc xxxx 1,086.71 xxxxxxotors Inc 1,144.99

Muse
14-12-2021, 11:24 AM
in terms of a 2022 comp - surely Sharesight could be interested in sponsoring. They could lend a free account to sharetrader / someone at Sharesight. Have a portfolio for each individual keeping track of performance, would make is easy to record. that happen ever happen in the past?

Joshuatree
15-12-2021, 09:11 AM
That says nothing about the competition being moved into the 21st Century but all about you being a troglodyte. Thanks Oliver for your work

Be a simple user friendly thing to do Oliver,have a look at the ASX comp done better by ,mainly Wizz:t_up:

JeremyALD
16-12-2021, 02:38 PM
How do I see how I'm performing? The dashboard only shows my own results, but I cannot see any others

Grimy
16-12-2021, 03:06 PM
Below your personal picks and their values there should be two boxes-one says Leader board. Click on that and you'll see I'm 357th out of 360..........

JeremyALD
16-12-2021, 06:06 PM
Below your personal picks and their values there should be two boxes-one says Leader board. Click on that and you'll see I'm 357th out of 360..........

Wierd, I don't get that. All I get is a portfolio with all my shares etc on Sharesight, but no where to see a leaderboard or other options.

16-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Wierd, I don't get that. All I get is a portfolio with all my shares etc on Sharesight, but no where to see a leaderboard or other options.

You are 39th.

Grimy
16-12-2021, 07:12 PM

I'm getting into the results via the link sent out 5th January. Email details were - Sharesight: Invitation from NZSA Share Game 5/01/2021, if that helps.

cycat64
17-12-2021, 11:36 PM
Hi there:

I gave up months ago. Clearly the email on Jan 5 did not go out to many of us, as there have been a number of entries indicating confusion throughout the year. I've deleted no emails, but it isn't there. At one stage I emailed the lady at the office, but she claimed she didn't know much about it. Eventually I was referred on to the other competition that had started up. I'm at a loss to understand why there is all this secrecy. Why not just put the results out in a post as used to happen?

Dassets
20-12-2021, 09:01 AM
Hi Oliver,

Ref QEX, are you going to mark that company's price to zero. It has been suspended, hasn't filed results, wants to delist but can't hold a meeting for shareholders ex Ronnie to vote.

Thanks

RRR
24-12-2021, 06:34 PM
Sorry, if the question has been asked before - where do I find the competition results?
Sharesight says my return is 17% but how do I compare with others?

airedale
25-12-2021, 09:23 AM
The NZX competition is a long way behind the ASX comp in terms of clarity and ease of access to look at the results. I am not literate enough to run anything like this but I appreciate those who can. Perhaps next year run it like the ASX comp.

25-12-2021, 10:30 AM
Never complain how the competition is run. Those that do run it should do what ever is easier for them. The NZ one this year was fine provided you spent 20 seconds of your life registering access.

Azza
25-12-2021, 02:31 PM
You should have an email with the subject line "Sharesight: Invitation from NZSA Share Game" click the link then it's an option to see the leaderboard.

RRR
28-12-2021, 10:58 AM
https://sharegame.nz/

Submit your email address and you will receive 2 links for sharegame 1 (Dec-Dec 2021) and sharegame 2 (March 2021-March 2022)

carrom74
28-12-2021, 05:45 PM
Thanks RRR for the post.Over the years i have played the game,this is the best i have reached...(15th)...2021 what a ride!

davflaws
31-12-2021, 04:36 PM
First in 2020, 356/360 in 2021 with the same picks. Gotta be a lesson there somewhere!

Dlownz
31-12-2021, 04:44 PM
First in 2020, 356/360 in 2021 with the same picks. Gotta be a lesson there somewhere!

That's actually quite a cool comparison. Remind me what were your picks

davflaws
31-12-2021, 05:01 PM
Atm, blt, px1, oca, peb.

winner69
31-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Atm, blt, px1, oca, peb.

Probably win the 2022 comp with those picks

davflaws
31-12-2021, 09:25 PM
Hgh for atm but hoping

Beagle
01-01-2022, 08:07 PM

49th...yet another top quartile finish...lost count of how many times that's happened....I am a boring Beagle and just pick what I invest in...but boring is rewarding !

clearasmud
01-01-2022, 08:56 PM
49th...yet another top quartile finish...lost count of how many times that's happened....I am a boring Beagle and just pick what I invest in...but boring is rewarding !

Did I beat you Beagle, as I can't access this.

Grimy
01-01-2022, 09:00 PM
You were 72nd clearasmud

Beagle
01-01-2022, 09:53 PM
1 Outbreak CAV,FBU,RAK,IFT,EBO 157.60 - 18,477.62
2 Do Dah IFT,RAK,TWR,SKL,STU 230.67 - 18,458.50
3 Haewai ARB,CAV,NWF,SKT,WDT 64.00 - 18,333.43
4 601405 WDT,NZR,CVT,CAV,ARB 23.64 - 17,878.35
5 Oracle of Naenae PEB,ERD,CVT,STU,RAK 88.47 - 17,123.75
6 599031 STU,STU,STU,STU,STU 324.19 - 16,990.86
7 Ballr ALF,APL,IKE,RAK,WHS 343.08 - 16,870.21
8 HereForFun2 PEB,RAK,ZEL,CGF,SKT 122.13 - 16,667.04
9 killdevilhills ALF,ARB,HGH,QEX,WDT 123.32 - 16,482.88
10 598966 SKT,ZEL,APL,WDT,STU 289.80 - 16,292.36
11 Madame Selena IKE,TLT,IFT,GTK,RAK 63.10 - 16,225.03
12 Dassets NWF,WDT,WBC,SPY,STU 248.49 - 15,751.95
13 rocketman MHJ,SKL,EBO,FRE,BGP 402.05 - 15,705.42
14 Greendoor AIR,GXH,CVT,DIV,RAK 116.02 - 15,252.20
15 carrom74 WDT,SML,ANZ,WHS,GTK 362.76 - 15,050.53
16 jimjimeny STU,CAV,THL,PGW,IFT 266.38 - 14,742.29
17 TheHunter ARB,NZR,STU,ZEL,WBC 306.62 - 14,715.01
18 japco TLT,PEB,RAK,TRU,BLT 18.99 - 14,672.98
19 Dlownz SKT,OCA,ZEL,WDT,GNE 257.29 - 14,581.30
20 Felix ARB,STU,AIA,MFT,ALF 91.62 - 14,528.93
21 Norwest ZEL,TWR,SKT,NWF,STU 298.14 - 13,999.78
22 Diatribe ARV,HGH,MPG,NZR,STU 228.94 - 13,998.20
23 Gumboot FPH,BGP,EBO,SKL,MFT 257.33 - 13,889.88
24 Snosno ATM,RAK,MMH,SKO,BLT 55.84 - 13,881.82
25 RedMe MHJ,WHS,PEB,KMD,TWR 471.30 - 13,797.62
26 599046 ALF,EVO,PEB,MHJ,SKT 131.54 - 13,755.91
27 JohnnyTheHorse HGH,TWR,ARV,HLG,MHJ 470.76 - 13,690.22
28 CD_CHCH APL,HGH,OCA,SKT,STU 341.82 - 13,685.37
29 Sylvester HLG,MFT,WDT,ATM,IFT 198.83 - 13,520.34
30 offsider FBU,SKT,ERD,IFT,HGH 235.57 - 13,391.50
31 601545 WDT,OCA,SKT,MPG,PX1 50.83 - 13,187.92
32 jontee EBO,FPH,MFT,POT,SKL 202.65 - 13,039.81
33 * Jarden SPK,MFT,EBO,ZEL,TRA 418.94 - 13,008.92
34 lock'n'key MFT,PX1,ZEL,EBO,NZM 274.03 - 12,980.99
35 601502 ARG,HGH,IFT,SKL,OCA 374.57 - 12,937.32
36 JoeM ARV,OCA,KPG,HGH,SKL 372.52 - 12,891.05
37 tumeke PGW,WHS,EBO,IFT,MEL 527.86 - 12,888.66
38 LD_CHCH ANZ,BRM,WHS,RYM,STU 585.72 - 12,865.25
39 Snow Leopard HGH,HLG,OCA,SKT,PEB 302.08 - 12,841.50
40 Waikaka ZEL,KPG,NWF,IFT,NZR 313.27 - 12,839.85
41 Keerti OCA,HGH,HLG,MDZ,SKT 329.78 - 12,785.72
42 Lion IFT,MFT,FBU,SKO,VGL 139.04 - 12,780.92
43 JeremyALD SKT,ATM,TWR,WHS,HGH 410.74 - 12,749.28
44 Southernslim HGH,AIA,HLG,OCA,SKT 302.08 - 12,692.83
45 598962 FPH,HGH,FBU,IFT,MFT 284.37 - 12,686.45
46 * Forsyth Barr KMD,GNE,SPK,EBO,SKL 355.57 - 12,576.95
47 Balance CBD,TRU,QEX,NTL,RAK 0.00 - 12,575.31
48 Monarch CVT,HGH,OCA,SAN,SKT 197.79 - 12,551.58
49 Beagle HGH,HLG,OCA,TRA,ARV 468.54 - 12,548.98
50 SMC73 HGH,SAN,ZEL,EBO,HLG 418.73 - 12,519.68
51 Face IFT,VGL,FRE,MFT,ERD 132.88 - 12,515.61
52 Ratkin EBO,IFT,SKT,SPK,SKC 229.04 - 12,513.60
53 crossman ERD,EVO,MMH,WHS,MHJ 427.62 - 12,503.30
54 wizardkiwi FPH,EBO,ARV,PEB,WHS 348.39 - 12,497.27
55 Gazza BGP,CNU,FBU,SPK,SKT 314.59 - 12,488.10
56 598972 MCK,AIR,HGH,HLG,SKT 251.25 - 12,474.77
57 598970 ARV,NWF,ZEL,TLL,GXH 276.33 - 12,469.81
58 gmatt IKE,OCA,PGW,SKO,SKT 208.27 - 12,466.01
59 601389 AIR,TWR,STU,TLL,SCL 183.01 35.50 12,463.53
60 Cycat64 FBU,EBO,ERD,HGH,NZO 236.81 - 12,458.41
61 tuna&rice FPH,BOT,EBO,MFT,SPN 158.91 - 12,451.50
62 Amos HGH,IFT,EBO,ARV,CEN 319.66 - 12,437.96
63 Koro AIR,BOT,CAV,HGH,RUA 123.32 - 12,419.52
64 Koro ARG,CAV,ERD,HGH,RUA 205.08 - 12,409.36
65 Biggles PEB,OCA,SKT,HGH,MPG 174.15 - 12,373.76
66 LunaLoveStocks AFT,PEB,BGP,MFT,WHS 355.66 - 12,371.45
67 Crackers ERD,FWL,IFT,STU,TLL 148.53 - 12,361.31
68 GGCC PEB,SKT,SKO,ATM,STU 64.83 - 12,333.42
69 601517 THL,OCA,HGH,IFT,MFT 245.05 - 12,292.63
70 Biotite AIR,MFT,OCA,STU,FBU 210.59 - 12,256.88
71 Clutch KPG,VGL,PEB,EBO,THL 128.38 - 12,253.28
72 Clearasmud STU,ATM,MCK,MHJ,OCA 247.20 - 12,251.90
73 RRR STU,CNU,SKC,RYM,SKT 184.00 - 12,241.43
74 Awesome FRE,HGH,MFT,RYM,TWR 279.04 - 12,241.24
75 iceman BOT,FPH,HGH,SEK,HLG 415.23 - 12,239.49
76 598974 OCA,PEB,KMD,SKT,ZEL 225.30 - 12,202.03
77 598967 TLT,HLG,OCA,SKT,BRM 336.11 - 12,194.59
78 Amalgam STU,CDI,HGH,OCA,IKE 301.02 - 12,169.57
79 601474 APL,CVT,GTK,NZR,SAN 126.48 - 12,158.36
80 Stokie EBO,FPH,PEB,MMH,SCT 158.15 - 12,129.58
81 Nomad BRM,OCA,MLN,IFT,SKT 381.61 - 12,073.58
82 Rawz EBO,MPG,MHJ,EVO,HLG 304.82 - 12,047.72
83 traineeinvestor AGL,ENS,GEN,STU,VTL 375.93 - 12,042.33
84 Acol FPH,MFT,PEB,EBO,SUM 112.20 - 12,033.10
85 Hēmi Ngeru IFT,OCA,SKT,FPH,TLT 135.94 - 12,032.54
86 BlackCat APL,HMY,MLN,CAV,SCT 286.10 - 12,031.51
87 Moneyman HLG,OCA,PEB,SKT,ZEL 300.89 - 12,022.92
88 Goofaholix PX1,IKE,CBD,RAK,SML 0.00 - 12,014.71
89 tuaman FPH,MFT,IFT,FRE,SKO 154.89 - 12,008.71
90 HITMAN TRU,PEB,WDT,ATM,APL 102.84 - 12,001.8

Top quartile performers. Even in 90th place HITMAN beat the market which was down by 0.4% by more than 20%, no easy feat !!

Interestingly, 237 of the 360 participants beat the NZX50 this year ! Congrats to all who beat the market in what were the toughest conditions in about a decade.

clearasmud
02-01-2022, 12:47 AM
You were 72nd clearasmud
Thanks. It's been a good year.

wizAlvin
04-01-2022, 10:51 AM
good trading all