PDA

View Full Version : New Scam

percy
11-04-2022, 11:26 AM
New Very Clever Scam

A scam clever enough to catch some seniors off guard!
Tell your friends, kids and neighbours…..beware.
This is very clever. I would probably fall for it, if not warned. Give this wide distribution. This scam is very clever. Just when you thought you'd heard it all. Be very careful out there! Beware of people bearing gifts!

The following is a recounting of the incident from the victim:

Wednesday a week ago, I had a phone call from someone saying that he was from some outfit called: "Express Couriers," (The name could be any courier company). He asked if I was going to be home because there was a package for me that required a signature.

The caller said that the delivery would arrive at my home in approximately an hour. Sure enough, about an hour later, a uniformed delivery man turned up with a beautiful basket of flowers and a bottle of wine. I was very surprised, since there was no special occasion or holiday, and I, certainly, didn't expect anything like it. Intrigued, I inquired as to who the sender was.

The courier replied, "I don't know, I'm only delivering the package."

Apparently, a greeting card was being sent separately. (The card has never arrived!) There was also a consignment note with the gift.

He then went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol, there was a $3.50 "delivery/ verification charge," providing proof that he actually had delivered the package to an adult (of legal drinking age), and not just left it on the doorstep where it could be stolen or taken by anyone, especially a minor.

This sounded logical and I offered to pay him cash. He then said that the delivery company required payment to be by credit or debit card only, so that everything is properly accounted for, and this would help in keeping a legal record of the transaction.

He added, "Couriers don't carry cash to avoid loss or being, likely, targets for robbery."

My husband, who by this time was standing beside me, pulled out his credit card, and the "delivery man," asked him to swipe the card on a small mobile card machine with a small screen and keypad. Frank, my husband, was asked to enter his PIN number and a receipt was printed out. He was given a copy of the transaction.

The guy said everything was in order, and wished us good day, and left.

To our horrible surprise, between Thursday and the following Monday, $4,000 had been charged/withdrawn from our credit/debit account at various ATM machines.

Apparently, the "mobile credit card machine," which the deliveryman carried, now, had all the info necessary to create a "dummy" card with all our card details including the PIN number.

Upon finding out about the illegal transactions on our card, we, immediately, notified the bank which issued us a new card, and our credit/debit account was closed.

We, also, personally, went to the police, where it was confirmed that it is, definitely, a scam because several households had been similarly hit.

WARNING: Be wary of accepting any "surprise gift or package," which you neither expected nor personally ordered, especially if it involves any kind of payment as a condition of receiving the gift or package. Also, never accept anything if you do not, personally, know or there is no proper identification of who the sender is.

Above all, the only time you should give out any personal credit/debit card information is when you yourself initiated the purchase or transaction!

PLEASE, pass this on, it may just prevent someone else from being swindled.

THIS IS A MUST READ AND… PLEASE LET FAMILY AND FRIENDS KNOW, TOO!

pedro.nz
11-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Thank you - always very wary anyway but good to know about latest scams...

Entrep
11-04-2022, 11:52 AM
Beer and wine delivery has been available for yonks in NZ. Can't imagine many would pay the fee.

Where did this info come from? Reads like one of the email chains that would start in the early 2000s with the aim of just being forwarded to as many people as possible.

Rawz
11-04-2022, 11:55 AM
Thats what i thought Entrep

Good to see its still going strong 20 years later lol

Joshuatree
11-04-2022, 12:20 PM
Thanks Percy,some days I would be sucked in by scams like this.

Cricketfan
11-04-2022, 12:45 PM
Not that new: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/delivery-courier-scam/ And given it's nearly word-for-word the same, I'd say the it's more the email that's the scam rather than anything else. Either that, or poor old Frank needs to learn not to be so gullible after 14 years!

Snoopy
11-04-2022, 12:55 PM
Beer and wine delivery has been available for yonks in NZ. Can't imagine many would pay the fee.

Where did this info come from? Reads like one of the email chains that would start in the early 2000s with the aim of just being forwarded to as many people as possible.

Sounds like a very expensive scam to run. Having some guy driving around in a fake courier company van in a bogus uniform with a fake portable bank terminal delivering 'free' flowers and wine? $100 odd to 'recruit' each scam victim sounds a very high price to pay. Technically it could work, as since the banks introduced paywave, it is possible to scan your card and produce a fake card that can operate without you disclosing your pass code

As an aside, my cousin got scammed this way in London by someone walking by with a skimming machine using 'skimwave' that could read his credit card details from his back pocket. That is why these days -since paywave- my credit card sits in a drawer at home. I use it to buy stuff on line, but it never leaves the house.

But back to this purported ruse. These days with all the home security camera's around, I would think our van driver would be picked up by the plod very quickly. I think this is just a chain letter with no real basis behind it. While technically possible, It is hard to fathom how such a scam could ever work in the real world.

SNOOPY

warthog
15-04-2022, 03:14 PM
These days with all the home security camera's around, I would think our van driver would be picked up by the plod very quickly. I think this is just a chain letter with no real basis behind it. While technically possible, It is hard to fathom how such a scam could ever work in the real world.
SNOOPY

Unless their face was obscured by something, but I can't think how they would manage that in a socially-acceptable way…

peat
15-04-2022, 09:50 PM
Unless their face was obscured by something, but I can't think how they would manage that in a socially-acceptable way…
Covid mask?

Snoopy
05-12-2022, 07:10 PM
I have been rung up a couple of times in the last fortnight by Asian women claiming to be working for Vodaphone ringing me on my landline (not with Vodaphone). The first time I ended up being offered a wireless broadband package for just $19 per month. This was after I got transferred from the first Asian woman to a second Asian woman (a suspicious move in itself I thought) once I showed some interest in taking the discussion further. The catch was "if I have a pay monthly mobile deal with Vodaphone as well". I actually do have a Vodaphone mobile, but I run it on an irregular pre-pay basis. If it was really Vodaphone ringing me I would have thought they might have known this? Then again I may have just gone into a shop and bought a SIM card one day and remained 'anonymous' (I think you can still do this, I can't quite remember). Or maybe they did know and were trying to sway me into a regular monthly deal? But if that were true and they knew my number was a Vodaphone mobile number (even if they didn't know my name), why didn't they ring me via my mobile phone if they wanted to 'up sell' me a deal? I have got 'up sell' genuine text message deals from Vodaphone before, via my mobile.

After turning down the first deal, I got rung again tonight, offering me full fibre broadband for just $55 per month, Again providing I had a monthly cellphone contract (which I did not want). This time they knew my name (I gave it to them the first time around) and that "I had expressed interest in signing up with Vodaphone", (after I had explicitly said two weeks ago that I wasn't interested). It all sounded a bit staged, and a bit too good to be true. But not so good that it was definitely a hoax

I know that Infratil own Vodaphone NZ. But do they have an Asian based call centre? I did wonder if this was a genuine campaign to try and boost revenue before a partial or total sell off of Vodaphone NZ, which I understand is being rebranded to 'One New Zealand' in the new year.

Anyone else had one of these calls from 'Vodaphone'?

SNOOPY

Rawz
05-12-2022, 08:10 PM
These darn Asian woman… Just too hard to know if they are scam artists or genuine immigrants selling us cheap broadband.

Snoopy ask them what’s better, marmite or vegemite. If they have no idea what you are on about hang up immediately! If they say marmite it’s a pass.. if it’s vegemite, it’s inconclusive and you’ll have to ask a second round question (because what’s the chances of an Asian Aussie woman immigrating to NZ and ringing ya house selling you something, am I right?).

Need some more ideas for second round?

hogie
05-12-2022, 08:15 PM
I have been rung up a couple of times in the last fortnight by Asian women claiming to be working for Vodaphone ringing me on my landline (not with Vodaphone). The first time I ended up being offered a wireless broadband package for just $19 per month. This was after I got transferred from the first Asian woman to a second Asian woman (a suspicious move in itself I thought) once I showed some interest in taking the discussion further. The catch was "if I have a pay monthly mobile deal with Vodaphone as well". I actually do have a Vodaphone mobile, but I run it on an irregular pre-pay basis. If it was really Vodaphone ringing me I would have thought they might have known this? Then again I may have just gone into a shop and bought a SIM card one day and remained 'anonymous' (I think you can still do this, I can't quite remember). Or maybe they did know and were trying to sway me into a regular monthly deal? But if that were true and they knew my number was a Vodaphone mobile number (even if they didn't know my name), why didn't they ring me via my mobile phone if they wanted to 'up sell' me a deal? I have got 'up sell' genuine text message deals from Vodaphone before, via my mobile.

After turning down the first deal, I got rung again tonight, offering me full fibre broadband for just $55 per month, Again providing I had a monthly cellphone contract (which I did not want). This time they knew my name (I gave it to them the first time around) and that "I had expressed interest in signing up with Vodaphone", (after I had explicitly said two weeks ago that I wasn't interested). It all sounded a bit staged, and a bit too good to be true. But not so good that it was definitely a hoax

I know that Infratil own Vodaphone NZ. But do they have an Asian based call centre? I did wonder if this was a genuine campaign to try and boost revenue before a partial or total sell off of Vodaphone NZ, which I understand is being rebranded to 'One New Zealand' in the new year.

Anyone else had one of these calls from 'Vodaphone'?

SNOOPY

Not sure but as long as you don't divulge any credit card or bank details over the phone you're generally OK. To put things into perspective I have Unlimited 300mbps Fibre for $37.95 per month (bundled with power) through Slingshot ... $55 per month is good, but it's not the best deal on the market for those willing to shop around.

fungus pudding
05-12-2022, 08:17 PM
New Very Clever Scam

A scam clever enough to catch some seniors off guard!

Why especially seniors? Are they all thick?

huxley
05-12-2022, 08:37 PM
Might find some useful information about scams here: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/frauds-scams-and-safety/

peat
05-12-2022, 08:40 PM
Might find some useful information about scams here: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/frauds-scams-and-safety/

:p possibly not intentionally funny but it made me laugh.

Baa_Baa
05-12-2022, 08:56 PM
If it sounds suss, it is suss. Just hang up. Or, don't even answer. I never answer a call anymore that isn't from a known contact. "Caller Id Unknown", don't answer.

hogie
05-12-2022, 09:03 PM
I'm finding it intriguing that you are looking to get a Wireless or Fibre Broadband connection, but you're still using a landline?!

Snoopy
05-12-2022, 09:15 PM
I'm finding it intriguing that you are looking to get a Wireless or Fibre Broadband connection, but you're still using a landline?!

I have what is termed a 'fixed wireless' connection that works through the Spark Mobile Network. It comes with a small data allowance which is adequate for the broadband connection I need for my purposes. It also comes with unlimited toll calls around NZ, for calls up to two hours in duration. So technically I don't have a landline any more (no copper). But functionally what I have is a landline.

I wasn't looking to change what I had. 'Vodaphone' cold called me.

SNOOPY

kiwical
07-12-2022, 12:11 PM

SNOOPY It never was vodaphone. It was vodafone. And early next year it is changing to "ONE." A stupid name, but perhaps better than trying to be cool using a mispelling like "fone" which many people incorrectly corrected back to "phone." ;)

fungus pudding
07-12-2022, 01:01 PM
It never was vodaphone. It was vodafone. And early next year it is changing to "ONE." A stupid name, but perhaps better than trying to be cool using a mispelling like "fone" which many people incorrectly corrected back to "phone." ;)

Correction: Many people changed to phone. The correct spelling of fone is fone.:D

Getty
07-12-2022, 01:18 PM
Beware of phoney calls!

Bjauck
07-12-2022, 10:19 PM
I have what is termed a 'fixed wireless' connection that works through the Spark Mobile Network. It comes with a small data allowance which is adequate for the broadband connection I need for my purposes. It also comes with unlimited toll calls around NZ, for calls up to two hours in duration. So technically I don't have a landline any more (no copper). But functionally what I have is a landline.

SNOOPY Voice-over-Copper landline connections have been discontinued in my area. If you want your landline to continue it is by way of voip delivered by broadband via copper. So if there is a power cut both the Voip and data internet are cut - a step backward in my opinion, especially if mobile connections are sketchy or weather affected too..

Brain
08-12-2022, 07:03 AM
Voice-over-Copper landline connections have been discontinued in my area. If you want your landline to continue it is by way of voip delivered by broadband via copper. So if there is a power cut both the Voip and data internet are cut - a step backward in my opinion, especially if mobile connections are sketchy or weather affected too..

A set of semaphore flags would make a good backup

https://www.ninefit.nz/products/semaphore-signal-flag-red-and-yellow-set-of-2

Daytime use only though and more expensive than the cheapest Samsung smart phone.

semaphore flags more expensive than a smart phone ????

Bjauck
08-12-2022, 09:41 AM
A set of semaphore flags would make a good backup

https://www.ninefit.nz/products/semaphore-signal-flag-red-and-yellow-set-of-2

Daytime use only though and more expensive than the cheapest Samsung smart phone.

semaphore flags more expensive than a smart phone ???? In SE Auckland where they are rushing to accommodate the extra Auckland population growth from the previous decade, we get a lot of power cuts - bad weather or beautiful fine days make no difference. So yes a voice-over-copper landline was more reliable and still worked - Surely a benchmark for the usefulness of technology.

Although I like the idea of a relay of semaphore flags or Morse code lights, on stormy days!

blackcap
08-12-2022, 10:16 AM
In SE Auckland where they are rushing to accommodate the extra Auckland population growth from the previous decade, we get a lot of power cuts - bad weather or beautiful fine days make no difference. So yes a voice-over-copper landline was more reliable and still worked - Surely a benchmark for the usefulness of technology.

Although I like the idea of a relay of semaphore flags or Morse code lights, on stormy days!

What is fascinating is that as technology advances, the quality of the service seems to decline. I remember back in my teens and early twenties, all we had was copper connections. Not even VOIP, just standard copper. And the call quality was perfect. Far better than what you get these days with cellular.

clip
08-12-2022, 10:49 AM
On the flip side, with copper internet connections i.e. ADSL/VDSL, it would drop out all the time and you'd be restarting your router every few days. Now with fibre you rarely have to do anything

fungus pudding
08-12-2022, 10:54 AM
What is fascinating is that as technology advances, the quality of the service seems to decline. I remember back in my teens and early twenties, all we had was copper connections. Not even VOIP, just standard copper. And the call quality was perfect. Far better than what you get these days with cellular.

You mean back in the days when you were hard wired to the wall, rather than strolling around all over the show with the phone in your pocket? How surprising that's not.

mondograss
08-12-2022, 10:54 AM
I used to work on internet helpdesks, Xtra, ClearNet etc. Used to constantly get calls from people wondering why their dial up couldn't connect. And I'd say to them, just listen to the line quietly for a minute, you hear that "tick, tick, tick"? That's your electric fence (or your neighbours). Go turn it off and see if it's better.

BTW on the subject of scams, beware of the email one that's doing the rounds for renewing your car registration. Some versions that I've seen are very convincing. As always, never click the link, if you do your rego online, just google NZTA yourself and get to the proper .govt.nz website.

blackcap
08-12-2022, 10:56 AM
You mean back in the days when you were hard wired to the wall, rather than strolling around all over the show with the phone in your pocket? How surprising that's not.

Back when you had the handset hardwired to the wall, and you could walk around the house with the detachable part yes. But I am thinking more for office applications. The call quality these days is terrible. The copper system was so much superior. Especially when in low cell coverage areas, fading in and out etc. We went back to a landline for this very reason a few years ago as it was impossible to conduct business with the cell.

Bjauck
08-12-2022, 12:01 PM
On the flip side, with copper internet connections i.e. ADSL/VDSL, it would drop out all the time and you'd be restarting your router every few days. Now with fibre you rarely have to do anything
That’s a drawback. Although with the number of our power cuts I haven’t had to deliberately restart the router for some time. Even micro power cuts (less than a minute long) seem to do the trick.

My granny remembers that back in the day, they could listen in on their neighbours phone calls, and join in if they wanted, just by lifting their handset - sort of an early version of Zoom I guess.

Sideshow Bob
08-12-2022, 12:04 PM
That’s a drawback. Although with the number of our power cuts I haven’t had to deliberately restart the router for some time. Even micro power cuts (less than a minute long) seem to do the trick.

My granny remembers that back in the day, they could listen in on their neighbours phone calls, and join in if they wanted, just by lifting their handset - sort of an early version of Zoom I guess.

That would have been with a party lines. They were reasonably common in many areas up until perhaps the mid 80's.

davflaws
08-12-2022, 12:30 PM
That would have been with a party lines. They were reasonably common in many areas up until perhaps the mid 80's.

Yup - when I lived and worked in the Marlborough Sounds in the seventies there was a party line down each side of Pelorus and Kenepuru. A dozen or so subscribers on each. The individual subscribers had a morse code ring and the wall sets had a handle to turn to generate the rings - one turn for a dot and three for a dash. Since the lines were No 8 wire strung on fence insulators between trees with earth return, threre were always plenty of clicks and buzzes, so no one could tell if some other party had picked up their reciever to listen in to your call - talk about a bush telegraph!

DazRaz
08-12-2022, 02:40 PM

I've had the opposite experience. 20 years ago, our landlines was garbage. About once a year it wouldn't work at all then faults would switch us to a different pair and it would work ok for a bit longer. Long live Fibre and cell.

Bjauck
09-12-2022, 09:54 PM
I've had the opposite experience. 20 years ago, our landlines was garbage. About once a year it wouldn't work at all then faults would switch us to a different pair and it would work ok for a bit longer. Long live Fibre and cell.
That’s true. With the copper lines you can get problems with cable moisture, weak joins and then the sockets can deteriorate and oxidise/cake up etc. I am not sure those problems are an issue with fibre. Perhaps it us still too young for them to be an issue yet.

fungus pudding
10-12-2022, 10:08 AM

I imagine your parents would as well. We were on a party line until well into the fifties.

RTM
18-12-2022, 12:42 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyber-criminals-drain-150k-from-pensioners-online-bank-accounts-in-elaborate-prezzy-card-scam/7RYVE4N5Q5HIHK3OO6WCXSRXWU/

Poor buggar...they got onto the camera in his computer and "helped" him.
Aweful !

kiora
03-01-2023, 08:30 AM
New or Old?
Best practice
"before I sent the money, I rang the solicitor and verbally ensured the account number and account name".

"One word saves Perth man’s $6m fortune from being stolen by hackers"
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/one-word-saves-perth-mans-6m-fortune-from-being-stolen-by-hackers/ALCJA3YRQRB5HBQGMLMS5IRPEI/

SailorRob
03-01-2023, 01:32 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyber-criminals-drain-150k-from-pensioners-online-bank-accounts-in-elaborate-prezzy-card-scam/7RYVE4N5Q5HIHK3OO6WCXSRXWU/

Poor buggar...they got onto the camera in his computer and "helped" him.
Aweful !

Absolutely unreal. The family had to conduct the entire investigation themselves and handed it to the 'police' on a plate and they did nothing.

Meanwhile someone was misgendered at a party in Ponsonby and police helicopters were sent from all over the country to attend the crime. '

UN forces said to be heading to NZ also.

GTM 3442
03-01-2023, 03:15 PM
Absolutely unreal. The family had to conduct the entire investigation themselves and handed it to the 'police' on a plate and they did nothing.

Meanwhile someone was misgendered at a party in Ponsonby and police helicopters were sent from all over the country to attend the crime. '

UN forces said to be heading to NZ also.

I don't think it's a New Zealand-specific problem - I think you'll find that police forces across the world are not equipped to cope with fraud.

SailorRob
03-01-2023, 05:12 PM
I don't think it's a New Zealand-specific problem - I think you'll find that police forces across the world are not equipped to cope with fraud.

Interesting.

They can't check the cameras at the gasser?

If a citizen was reported at the same gasser at the same time muttering 'men can't have babies' believe me the cameras would be checked real fast. But stealing life saving from an 82 year old won't get their interest.

blackcap
03-01-2023, 08:28 PM
Interesting.

They can't check the cameras at the gasser?

If a citizen was reported at the same gasser at the same time muttering 'men can't have babies' believe me the cameras would be checked real fast. But stealing life saving from an 82 year old won't get their interest.

That's the problem with the modern police force. Woke as and not interested in real crimes, but very interested in imaginary crimes.

percy
22-08-2023, 08:53 AM
I received the following letter from Southern Response.
I have had to send them a copy of my passport and the next step is for me to give my banking details.
All seems to be above board
???????????

Our records show that you may be eligible for a further payment from Southern Response as part of the Pre October Payment Package as announced in December 2020.

The Package is for customers who cash settled their insurance claims with Southern Response before 1 October 2014.

AMI policyholders who settled an out-of-scope claim with Southern Response prior to October 2014 may be eligible for an additional contingency payment if they have not previously been paid those costs.

An “out of scope” claim is a claim made under the AMI policy for earthquake damage to property items ‘outside the scope’ of the Earthquake Commission Act 1993 but covered under the wider definition of “house” in the AMI policy. This includes, for example, fences, driveways, paths and swimming pools.

More information about Southern Response's settlement Package is available on the website www.southernresponse.co.nz

To register, go to the website and complete the online form or I can send you the form to complete and return to us. Please advise if you would like me to send you the form. Another option is for you to call on 0800 501525 and we can take your registration over the phone.

Once you complete the registration we will review your claim and let you know whether you are entitled to a further payment.

Kind Regards,

Susan Downes

Southern Response Earthquake Services Ltd

www.southernresponse.co.nz

Sideshow Bob
22-08-2023, 09:16 AM
We had contact from Southern Response relatively recently (about 6 months back) that they owed us money.

It stemmed from when we lived in Dunedin and a claim we had that was pegged to the earthquakes.

Seemed very bizarre but we checked it out, and got about $3k on a house that we no longer own.

percy
22-08-2023, 09:47 AM
We had contact from Southern Response relatively recently (about 6 months back) that they owed us money.

It stemmed from when we lived in Dunedin and a claim we had that was pegged to the earthquakes.

Seemed very bizarre but we checked it out, and got about $3k on a house that we no longer own.

Thanks,I will now proceed.
We too no longer own the house in question.

Sideshow Bob
22-08-2023, 10:10 AM
Thanks,I will now proceed.
We too no longer own the house in question.

My wife gave them a call, and they had all the info that only they could have known.

We were very dubious, but just incredible that we got money 10+ years late on a house we didn't own.

Will be interested to know how you get on.....