PDA

View Full Version : Foot and mouth disease.

troyvdh
20-07-2022, 06:36 PM
Should this occur in NZ..it aint good obviously.
I understand that in the UK when they suffered from this...possibly the biggest losers were tourist operators because travel was restricted.
I also understand that some farmers did quite well..stock losses were compensated by the gummit.

winner69
20-07-2022, 07:34 PM
Be a disaster if got here

Fragments found in Australia

Hope our border people are doing the checks of the old days …..been on a farm or out in the country sir …..yes ….can we have all your footwear and any tramping gear for fumigation …..no problem …..and half an hour they come back

Of course I hadn’t tried to bring any food in

Snoopy
20-07-2022, 07:35 PM
I understand that in the UK when they suffered from this...possibly the biggest losers were tourist operators because travel was restricted.
I also understand that some farmers did quite well..stock losses were compensated by the gummit.

As it should be. Isn't foot in mouth disease caused by the gummit? ;-P

SNOOPY

nztx
21-07-2022, 12:36 AM
As it should be. Isn't foot in mouth disease caused by the gummit? ;-P

SNOOPY

Thought Trev was removing it from our shores across to Europe or is the kitchen too hot for semi retired garden gnomes there ? :)

Nor
21-07-2022, 10:20 AM
Should have one of those foot disinfectant trays for all arrivals to paddle through. Astonishing that they'd even be looking for it in central Melbourne.

bull....
25-07-2022, 05:26 PM
there you go if foot and mouth reaches NZ all ag will be stopped says ardern

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/foot-and-mouth-disease-pm-jacinda-ardern-biosecurity-minister-outline-steps-taken-to-protect-nz/P4XJMO4JWCPCR5WYCYOSD67W7A/

guess nzd will plummet as well as the nzx if it were to occur

alokdhir
25-07-2022, 05:53 PM

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/foot-and-mouth-disease-pm-jacinda-ardern-biosecurity-minister-outline-steps-taken-to-protect-nz/P4XJMO4JWCPCR5WYCYOSD67W7A/

FPH and GNE and many others will still do well ...so not doom story ...but dangerous ...risk was and is always there

fish
25-07-2022, 09:26 PM
It’s another highly infectious viral disease but I would have thought the only risk would come from live animal imports or contaminated animal feed .
I doubt if farmers did well despite compensation.I lived in the UK at the time and my teenage memory was imprinted with the horrors of mass slaughter of dairy cows and heaped funeral pyres burning for days

whome
26-07-2022, 08:39 AM

Covid lockdowns would pale into insignificance compared to an FMD outbreak. In another work life in 2005, I had to take part in a MAF organised simulated FMD outbreak. The implications were horrendous. Hundreds of thousands of cloven hoof animals would be shot and burned ie cows, sheep, pigs, goats … but the main effect is what do you do with at least 6 months worth of agricultural products when our global customers shut their doors instantly to our meat and milk products.. and it would be for 6 months. We consume only 4% of our agri production. Fonterra and the meat companies would not cope, nor would our farmers.

alokdhir
26-07-2022, 08:47 AM
Covid lockdowns would pale into insignificance compared to an FMD outbreak. In another work life in 2005, I had to take part in a MAF organised simulated FMD outbreak. The implications were horrendous. Hundreds of thousands of cloven hoof animals would be shot and burned ie cows, sheep, pigs, goats … but the main effect is what do you do with at least 6 months worth of agricultural products when our global customers shut their doors instantly to our meat and milk products.. and it would be for 6 months. We consume only 4% of our agri production. Fonterra and the meat companies would not cope, nor would our farmers.

If its that disastrous then our Govt should pay at most attention not to let it inside ...I sincerely hope that they will do their job very seriously as consequences are too extreme for the whole country

Its been always around in some part of the world so this new scare is justified or just scaremongering ? I am not sure !!!

whome
26-07-2022, 09:05 AM
It’s another highly infectious viral disease but I would have thought the only risk would come from live animal imports or contaminated animal feed ….
FMD virus can survive in the minor debri left on shoes if that person walked around an infected area. There is a UK story of an agri area where outbreaks kept occurring despite major cleaning efforts… turned out the local vet who did farm inspections always wore a woolly hat and even though boots and overalls were disinfected, the hat was not. The act of touching the hat to put it on was enough to spread the virus farm to farm. Make no mistake - FMD would be NZ’s Armageddon.

850man
26-07-2022, 09:49 AM
An MPI worker mentioned on AM this morning that the penalty for a traveller bringing in meat products was a paltry $400. We all know Asian arrivals frequently bring in their favourite meat products, the penalty should be $40K to be a serious deterrent. F&M is prevalent in Asian countries amongst other places.

fish
26-07-2022, 10:15 AM
FMD virus can survive in the minor debri left on shoes if that person walked around an infected area. There is a UK story of an agri area where outbreaks kept occurring despite major cleaning efforts… turned out the local vet who did farm inspections always wore a woolly hat and even though boots and overalls were disinfected, the hat was not. The act of touching the hat to put it on was enough to spread the virus farm to farm. Make no mistake - FMD would be NZ’s Armageddon.
You are correct .
It is highly infectious.
It would be Armageddon.
So important to understand transmission.
I made no secret of my frustration when Bloomfield initially failed to comprehend that airborne spread was the likely source of Covid transmission .
That vet must have similarly not comprehended how tricky a highly infectious virus can be-vets have to examine cattle to look for oral and foot blisters so his beany would be potentially contaminated with active viral particles when he moved to the next farm.
With Covid initially there appeared to be misdirected efforts to deep clean rather than concentrating on avoiding airborne spread .
If genetic traces of fmd are found in footwear at airports I would doubt if it posed any transmission risk

bull....
26-07-2022, 02:30 PM
what happens when a cow gets monkey pox

Old mate
26-07-2022, 02:40 PM
Stock market crashes bull.

mike2020
26-07-2022, 03:59 PM

A serious investigation I would hope but under Labour in NZ that is probably considered a relationship these days.

ziggy415
26-07-2022, 04:01 PM

He must have ridden someone else,s bull

Joshuatree
26-07-2022, 04:07 PM
A serious investigation I would hope but under Labour in NZ that is probably considered a relationship these days.

Yes a Govt who have spent what $a billion to get rid of MBovis ( a world first) or nearly? Many Farmers are such whiners, so self entitled even when the Govt bends over they whine, more.

mike2020
26-07-2022, 04:10 PM
Yes a Govt who have spent what $a billion to get rid of MBovis ( a world first) or nearly? Many Farmers are such whiners, so self entitled even when the Govt bends over they whine, more.
Ok I obviously need to dumb it down a little. Monkey pox currently spreads via sexual contact between gay men so run with that...

Ricky-bobby
26-07-2022, 04:19 PM

Clearly not in primary industry JT… Farmers are the backbone of NZ. I’m very nervous about how the current govt would handle an outbreak.

mike2020
26-07-2022, 04:33 PM
Clearly not in primary industry JT… Farmers are the backbone of NZ. I’m very nervous about how the current govt would handle an outbreak.
I think the point was made they did make a huge effort with MBovis and at huge expense to the taxpayer. Contentious even among vets and farmers whether it was the right call.

Panda-NZ-
26-07-2022, 05:16 PM

They kept corona out didn't they (until vaccines were made available).

nztx
26-07-2022, 09:16 PM
They kept corona out didn't they (until vaccines were made available).

Then what ? .. a continuing trail of Foot in Mouth symptoms from the point they lost their way .. :)

"Grant - How much longer will their own dough in kitty last to allow us to keep spinning them the 'Keeping this Thing Out' line, before we have to start spinning the opposite line with no dough being tossed out ? ;)