PDA

View Full Version : Left overs from dividend reinvestment plans

epower
19-01-2023, 08:56 AM
For the first time in my investment journey I’ve elected to participate in a dividend reinvestment plan.

This is with Ryman and Property for Industry.

My question is what happens to the dividends left over? Say I have $1000 of shares and the dividend is 2% ($20). Let’s say the share price is $3 so I get 6x new shares ($18 worth) but what happens to the $2 left over at the end?

winner69
19-01-2023, 09:02 AM
For the first time in my investment journey I’ve elected to participate in a dividend reinvestment plan.

My question is what happens to the dividends left over? Say I have $1000 of shares and the dividend is 2% ($20). Let’s say the share price is $3 so I get 6x new shares ($18 worth) but what happens to the $2 left over at the end?

Generally they hold the left overs to the next dividend ... in the example they'll add .66 shares to that ($2/$3)

Suppose if you sell or they don't continue with DRP you lose out

Always been a bone of contention . the evils of rounding

justakiwi
19-01-2023, 09:03 AM
In some cases the leftover amount is carried over and added to the next dividend pay-out. The Fisher trio all do this. In other cases you "lose" the leftover amount. There do not seem to be any legal requirements around this from what I can tell.

Aaron
19-01-2023, 05:16 PM
I got paid out .97cents in Sept last year. I think it was the residue from my AGL DRIP that got carried forward.

Now that you mention it I don't recall ever receiving any others but I am also not aware of another situation where something might have been due more than a couple of bucks.

Probably only significant if you have a DRIP with Berkshire Hathaway.