PDA

View Full Version : N Z Super Fund, investments.

whatsup
28-02-2023, 09:45 AM
I see that the N Z Super Fund has poured another US $4.5 mil into Rubicon Technologies , its S P has tanked from $15 to $1.50 today is that a good company to be investing in

SBQ
03-03-2023, 01:32 PM
Would not be the 1st time and would not be the last. I remember during John Key's time where the NZ Super Fund invested in some bank in Spain. It had high ratings by some ratings firm (Fitch or Goldman Sac?) when in a matter of months, it turned out to be a poison pill.

I also often wondered why gov't pension funds can not simply buy the S&P500 index ETF ; and instead, employ managers who have the ego to think they can 'beat the market' by individually picking stocks they think would do better.

GTM 3442
05-03-2023, 09:32 AM
Would not be the 1st time and would not be the last. I remember during John Key's time where the NZ Super Fund invested in some bank in Spain. It had high ratings by some ratings firm (Fitch or Goldman Sac?) when in a matter of months, it turned out to be a poison pill.

I also often wondered why gov't pension funds can not simply buy the S&P500 index ETF ; and instead, employ managers who have the ego to think they can 'beat the market' by individually picking stocks they think would do better.

You can find some of the details at about p130-odd
https://www.nzsuperfund.nz/assets/Publications/Annual-Reports/Annual-Report-2021-22.pdf

Out of idle curiosity, does anyone have a comparative performance graph of the NZSF vs various indices (STOXX600, FTSE100, S&P500, ASX/200 etc) for (say) the past ten years?

SBQ
08-03-2023, 05:53 PM
You can find some of the details at about p130-odd
https://www.nzsuperfund.nz/assets/Publications/Annual-Reports/Annual-Report-2021-22.pdf

Out of idle curiosity, does anyone have a comparative performance graph of the NZSF vs various indices (STOXX600, FTSE100, S&P500, ASX/200 etc) for (say) the past ten years?

Fancy, window dressed, prospectus. I would question the same thing, why does the NZSF prospectus NOT illustrate their performance to the various indices like the S&P500? It should be the very base benchmark, and is universally accepted globally as a comparative standard.

I've come across similar antics when I lived in Canada when gov'ts there numerous times have mismanaged tax payer funds. Actually it's the key reason why the affluent choose to manage their own finances and don't depend on any gov't pension scheme. It's really a sad situation where the majority of the population depend on the gov't to serve their retirement pension when the reality is such entities return the individuals a lot less than simply buying the index fund throughout until retirement.

blackcap
08-03-2023, 06:28 PM
Fancy, window dressed, prospectus. I would question the same thing, why does the NZSF prospectus NOT illustrate their performance to the various indices like the S&P500? It should be the very base benchmark, and is universally accepted globally as a comparative standard.

I've come across similar antics when I lived in Canada when gov'ts there numerous times have mismanaged tax payer funds. Actually it's the key reason why the affluent choose to manage their own finances and don't depend on any gov't pension scheme. It's really a sad situation where the majority of the population depend on the gov't to serve their retirement pension when the reality is such entities return the individuals a lot less than simply buying the index fund throughout until retirement.

Relying on the government is never a good option.