PDA

View Full Version : Green MP Efeso Collins dies

mistaTea
21-02-2024, 10:35 AM
Efeso Collins collapsed at a charity event (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/green-mp-efeso-collins-dies-after-collapse-at-childfund-water-run-in-central-auckland/NGGOYA42HJHTBOT5DMAPC4DQIM/) and died today.

winner69
21-02-2024, 10:41 AM
Efeso Collins collapsed at a charity event (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/green-mp-efeso-collins-dies-after-collapse-at-childfund-water-run-in-central-auckland/NGGOYA42HJHTBOT5DMAPC4DQIM/) and died today.

Sad

Always came across as a decent bloke

mistaTea
21-02-2024, 10:46 AM
Sad

Always came across as a decent bloke

Yes, I feel for his family. Must be a huge shock and terrible loss for them.

Only 49 too, so young.

A reminder to us all that each day is not a given.

iceman
21-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Very sad. Always seemed like a decent bloke. I feel for his family & friends.

Snoopy
21-02-2024, 11:36 PM
Very sad. Always seemed like a decent bloke. I feel for his family & friends.

Lived in the wrong city to know much about Efeso. I remember him coming to prominence nationally in the last Auckland mayoral campaign. But strangely given his calm maturity, I somehow thought he was much older than he was, 69 rather than 49. Given what happened today, maybe biologically he was closer to 69! Very sad for his young family of course, and his friends. But having just come back from his fitness charity fun run, I guess he was 'active to the end' and, for good measure, finally, a good 'fit in his coffin'.

SNOOPY

Getty
22-02-2024, 05:56 PM
As much as he seemed nice, Efeso was a dangerous chap.
His philosophy was to take money off hard working thrifty folk, and give to those of a spendthrift disposition.

We will help them spend it, he said of the h w t folk.

Yeah thanks Efeso, that's just the sort of help we don't need.

mistaTea
22-02-2024, 05:59 PM
As much as he seemed nice, Efeso was a dangerous chap.
His philosophy was to take money off hard working thrifty folk, and give to those of a spendthrift disposition.

We will help them spend it, he said of the h w t folk.

Yeah thanks Efeso, that's just the sort of help we don't need.

Well, that is essentially the philosophy of everyone in Labour and The Greens.

But geez, the man just died.

Panda-NZ-
22-02-2024, 06:16 PM
Working people pay most of the tax in NZ... overall it's regressive when compared to percentage of income.

If Mr Esefo Collins wanted to change this state of affairs then it reflects well on him.

mistaTea
22-02-2024, 06:50 PM
Working people pay most of the tax in NZ... overall it's regressive when compared to percentage of income.

If Mr Esefo Collins wanted to change this state of affairs then it reflects well on him.

Our tiered tax system on income as well as GST serves us well enough.

Show me some examples of wealth taxes overseas that have worked well and I will look into it with an open mind.

Panda-NZ-
22-02-2024, 07:26 PM
I'm talking about CGT and imputation credits.

Australia has the former, UK and US tax both dividends and capital gains.

22-02-2024, 07:28 PM
deleted.....

Balance
22-02-2024, 08:13 PM

And who ruled out CGT despite being in government for 6 years? Oh .. Clueless Cindy & Hapless Hipkins.

Suck hard, Ignoramus Peasant panda-nz, you do it exceptionally well - just like you tried to blame the current government for record immigration numbers in the last year. A total loser, that’s you.

nztx
22-02-2024, 09:41 PM

Aussie got both .. Franking credits system = their own version of imputation credits ;)

Someone been sleeping again ? Probably dreaming of Argentina where they got hyper inflation
instead and the odd one here thinks things are better off in South America ? :)

Getty
25-02-2024, 10:20 AM
Can any one explain the connection between Efeso and rugby, that merited a minutes silence at the Super 15 rugby match?

Is this politicalization of rugby?

Will a minutes silence be observed at the Super 15 when Poto, Marama and Carmel pass away?

John Key, Cunliffe, Goff and Robertson?

fungus pudding
25-02-2024, 10:23 AM
Can any one explain the connection between Efeso and rugby, that merited a minutes silence at the Super 15 rugby match?

Probably not.

ynot
25-02-2024, 10:27 AM

Will a minutes silence be observed at the Super 15 when Poto, Marama and Carmel pass away?

John Key, Cunliffe and Gough and Robertson?

Which team was playing, Auckland ?

Getty
25-02-2024, 10:47 AM
Which team was playing, Auckland ?

Highlanders vs Moana Pasifika at that bastion of Polynesia, Dunedin.

FTG
25-02-2024, 02:40 PM

And now for the actual facts - as reported by Treasury & highlighted in the 2023 Sapere Report.

Only 21% of tax payers earn over $70,000, yet pay 68% of all income tax.

Meanwhile, >30% of tax payers now get more in tax credits (in reality handouts from actual NET Tax payers) than they actually pay in Tax.

Crazy stuff. Yet, some still wonder why NZ Inc is falling deeper into a financial Black Hole.

You are right on one thing though Ms Panda. Collins actively advocated for those working hard & earning better, to hand over even more of that money across to the State.

Daytr
25-02-2024, 03:35 PM

Get a grip. The man was a huge supporter of the Pacific Island community of which both the Blues & Moana Pacifika have a large percentage of players from.
Not politics, respect and how about you get some.

Getty
25-02-2024, 03:37 PM

What's my point here?

Who is pulling the strings at Super 15 Rugby?

From now on will every game honour decent people who have served their community and passed?

Prepare yourself for at least 5 minutes of silence before each game.
More if the Aussies chip in with their recipients.

If the bar is to be those who have made it to Parliament on the coat tails of a Party list, and only made a maiden speech, then what's in store for the other names I mentioned?

80 minutes of haka, then delay the game till next weekend?

Panda-NZ-
26-02-2024, 08:39 AM
You are right on one thing though Ms Panda. Collins actively advocated for those working hard & earning better, to hand over even more of that money across to the State.

That would be true even if it's a flat tax.

Mind you a flat tax would be fairer than what we have if its applied to capital gains and dividends too (ACT says no though.. why might that be).

Panda-NZ-
26-02-2024, 08:46 AM
Only 21% of tax payers earn over $70,000, yet pay 68% of all income tax.

The obvious flaw in this mindlessly repeated statistic.

Assume a teenager who works part time pays 100% tax on 5k income... 5k paid
A millionaire pays 1%... 10k tax paid.

OMG, they pay 66% of all the income tax!