PDA

View Full Version : COA - Coats Group plc (formerly GPG - Guinness Peat Group Plc)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

_Michael
16-12-2007, 12:39 PM
GPG and the FTSE don't have a lot in common, so if you were to get a comment out of RB - which you won't - thats what it would be.
Yeah exactly, Rons pretty much carved out his place in investment-guru history precisely by doing the opposite to most money managers operating in the markets around him, so when the FTSE does really poorly GPG will probably bring some good results to the fore!!

Incidently the FTSE has only returned around 3% so far this year.

cheers
michael

COLIN
16-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Or it may be just about to hold a key support level.... ;o) Only time will tell.....

Time has indeed told!

BigBob
16-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Indeed it has....!!!

Contrarian
20-12-2007, 11:36 AM
a wholly owned subsidiary of Guinness Peat Group plc)

FURTHER RE: CASH OFFER FOR NEWBURY RACECOURSE PLC

19 December 2007

GPG Acquisitions notes the defence circular posted yesterday by Newbury
Racecourse and which, in its opinion, is long on rhetoric and innuendo yet
glaringly fails to address the key issues critical to Shareholders.

In particular, the defence circular fails to provide:-

# any assurance that 2007 will NOT be the fifth successive year of
operating losses* for Newbury Racecourse;

# any real comfort as to the Newbury Board's ability to execute
successfully its proposed transformation of the Company into a leisure,
entertainment and events business;

# any assurance that the net returns from the proposed partnership, in
respect of the Company's substantial surplus land, will, in today's monetary
terms, be in excess of ?7 per Newbury Racecourse Share.

*before exceptional items

GPG remains convinced that its premium offer of ?11 cash per Newbury
Racecourse Share provides an attractive alternative to an uncertain future
under the stewardship of the current Newbury Board and has no hesitation in
recommending it to Shareholders for their serious and immediate
consideration.

A further communication will be made to Shareholders in due course.

ENQUIRIES

GPG Acquisitions No. 5 Limited Tel: (020)
7484 3370
Blake Nixon, Director

Sideshow Bob
24-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Make your mind up CujoDoggie - It was going bust 12 days ago!

Lizard
25-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Share price going gangbusters over the last week.

Looks like the ol' dog needs to jump back in and buy some more!!!!

$2 here we come!!!

Damn, thought Cujo was going to give GPG holders a Christmas present and tell us all he'd sold out...

But the "Cujo indicator" is rarely wrong... more down for GPG it seems! :eek::p

Arbitrage
27-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Looking at the brokers picks for 2008, GPG would have to be a buy since it is not mentioned.

05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
A good program on Ron Brierley on TV1 tonight.

Steve
06-01-2008, 09:48 AM
A good program on Ron Brierley on TV1 tonight.

Missed the program. What was it?

06-01-2008, 10:13 AM
It was advertised as a "NZ film festival" production. I was expecting some dramatization movie but it was really the life of Ron from an Island Bay school boy through to present day. There were many comments from those affected by his early takeovers(Kempthorne Prosser etc). Overall an interesting production. Showed up that there was no love lost with Collins and Hancox although typically Ron he didn't say it in as many words.

Possibly attainable as a DVD through TVNZ or the producers. May even be an "on demand" program from their website sometime.

Arbitrage
15-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Newbury takeover continued...

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/LSECWS/IFSPages/MarketNewsPopup.aspx?id=1680423&source=RNS

shasta
15-01-2008, 11:18 PM
This company is starting to #ucking piss me right off!!!!!
Once you sell all TA indicators will turn to buy :D

Arbitrage
16-01-2008, 09:00 AM
CJD's optimism from his post on 24.12 seems to have evaporated. Threatening legal action is an interesting approach to falling share prices. If you can't stand the heat...

Toddy
16-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't think that you have seen anything yet. The true value of GPG will not be known until the Coats business comes clean.

Watch out for the stock write downs to come.

winner69
16-01-2008, 01:02 PM
GPG now in the 150's --- the fall seems relentlessthe last few months

The faithful departing the sinking ship?

Bet you that FNZC valuation still has NAV at around 230

16-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Investment companies always seem to get hit harder on a downturn in the markets. Mainly I guess because of the unknown real value of their investments.

peat
16-01-2008, 02:23 PM
well surely its more than that 777
in a falling market its not so easy to make profitable investments so the future earnings potential decreases sharply.

16-01-2008, 02:41 PM
well surely its more than that 777
in a falling market its not so easy to make profitable investments so the future earnings potential decreases sharply.

Why would they make further investments on a falling market? They surely will wait and make them closer to the time it turns upwards again.

Toddy
16-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm really @ucking angry about this share.

Ditto for the entire market for me.
And I've been laid up in hospital for the last eight days after doing the fith disk in my back in, and don't know when I'll get out. Feckin great now, cannot do any orchard work, pregnant wife at home trying to manage the orchard and a three year old boy.

peat
16-01-2008, 10:37 PM
but that time may be some far out point? its their job to make investments. they have to work in any environment otherwise they may as well liquidate. they do less deals if the market is uncertain - so all adds up to a less positive outlook. fwiw imo.

ratkin
17-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Why so angry? It was your decision to buy , and you could of sold at any time.

If you were angry with yourself i could understand , but its not GPGs fault you have put so much into the company.

To lose 40,000 you must have put in a large sum , clearly too large as it is causing you significant angst.

Maybe you need to reconsider your strategy

warthog
17-01-2008, 09:23 AM
#uckin seen $40,000 of my money disappear in the last year on this #ucking @@nt of a share

Only $40k? You must be pretty happy with that then?

Toddy
17-01-2008, 10:34 AM
$1.50 could be on the cards today.

Sideshow Bob
17-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Cujo

You could just save us all by selling out - that would definitely see the share price rise!!

SSB

warthog
17-01-2008, 07:11 PM
#ucking #unt of a share.

Cujodog, you work for Goldman Sachs JBW or ABN Amro Craigs don't you?

Sideshow Bob
17-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I forget, who is Cujo's sharetrader alter ego?

Awamoa
18-01-2008, 12:57 PM
The silence from GPG in recent months has been deafening apart from trying to buy a racecourse.
Surely in these times some reassurance to shareholders would be appreciated.

Arbitrage
18-01-2008, 01:02 PM
The reporting season is not too far away.

Dr_Who
18-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Cujodog, you work for Goldman Sachs JBW or ABN Amro Craigs don't you?

He's probably their client.

How low will this GPG dog go? Is it gonna be another BRY?

Steve
18-01-2008, 08:40 PM
History has shown that it is never good to be agressively making acquisitions in such a turbulent market. That could be weighing on the share price...

ScrappyO
18-01-2008, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=Awamoa;181346]The silence from GPG in recent months has been deafening apart from trying to buy a racecourse.

This is the problem with GPG these days....Racecourse what a load of crap. Surely there is better opportunities out there.

Steve
18-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Think about why they are buying the racecourse...

JMKC
18-01-2008, 11:01 PM

the problem is 90% of people in this thread wouldn't have the first idea.

Mick100
19-01-2008, 02:25 AM
can someone please advise what type of lawyers prosecute professional indemnity type claims?

Thanks

Hang in there cujo

It will come right

You can mortage the farm on GPG :p

TwinkleToes
19-01-2008, 02:37 AM
can someone please advise what type of lawyers prosecute professional indemnity type claims?

Thanks

Could you be a little more specific and I may have a suggestion?

19-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Cujodog...GPG don't set the price of the share, the market does. You could buy all that are available for sale and the share price would be up. You would be happy and so would everybody else. Whether it would stay there is once again a market decision.

Dr_Who
19-01-2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks

Cujo, whats up? Why are you so pee off?

winner69
19-01-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks

Suggest you head down to the locak Citizens Advice Bureau on Monday ...... they should be able to point you in the right direction

warthog
19-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks

Best form of defence is checking out the offence ...

spoilt
19-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Cujo, I am out of pocket by a similar amount to you on GPG so I know the feeling. However I have a 3 year horizon and am sure that its fundamentals will see it come right over that time frame. Hang in there.

Mick100
19-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Disc.

Sold out of GPG late last yr

Lesson learn't - don't fight the cujo curse;)

So GPG have bought a racecourse......
This company was/is becoming increasingly difficult for me to monitor. To keep tabs on GPG, I would have to spend as much time as on the rest of my portfolio put together.
I could never understand that coates business but I did understand their aussie investments and couldn't help but notice that the well performing investments were quickly sold and the laggards were kept - and now a racecourse.

ScrappyO
19-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Because they are fed up with buying crap investments and would like a win now and then.

Sideshow Bob
22-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Did Cujo slit his wrists when GPG hit $1.43 today?

zac
23-01-2008, 06:07 PM
GPG has inceased the offer price to Newbury racecourse s/h owners. Offer open until 5 February.

Arbitrage
24-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Company Guinness Peat Group PLC
TIDM GPG
Headline Holding(s) in Company
Released 12:29 23-Jan-08
Number 3723M

RNS Number:3723M
Guinness Peat Group PLC
23 January 2008

Re Fiberweb plc

The following is the text of a letter which is being sent today by Guinness Peat
Group plc ("GPG") to Fiberweb plc ("Fiberweb") in connection with GPG's purchase
of shares in Fiberweb.

"Disclosure of Interest in Shares pursuant to Rule 8.3 of the Takeover Code
("the Code")

Guinness Peat Group plc and its subsidiary companies ("the Group") hereby notify
Fiberweb plc ("Fiberweb") that, following the market acquisitions of 961,777
Ordinary shares of Fiberweb ("Shares") on 22 January 2008 at £0.60 per Share,
the Group's direct interest now amounts to 1,813,300 Shares representing 1.48%
of the issued share capital of Fiberweb.

At the close of business on the date of the transaction disclosed above, the
Group also had an economic interest by way of Contracts for Difference in
respect of 1,340,000 Shares representing 1.09% of the issued share capital of
Fiberweb.

Therefore, following the above transaction, in accordance with its disclosure
obligations under Rule 8.3 of the City Code the Group has an economic interest
in an aggregate 2.58% of the issued share capital of Fiberweb.

The Group has an interest by virtue of being a Rule 8.3 shareholder of Fiberweb.
No member of the Group is party to any agreement or arrangement relating to the
exercise of any rights conferred by holding the Shares the subject of this
notification."

Richard Russell
Company Secretary
Guinness Peat Group plc
Tel: (0) 20 7484 3370

23 January 2008

This information is provided by RNS
The company news service from the London Stock Exchange

END

30-01-2008, 10:24 PM
http://www.vond.co.nz/GPG/GPG080114.pdf

Update at 14/1/08 on von Dadelszen & Co site.

$2.22.

winner69
31-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm thinking of selling out of this share.

Don't sell out cujo ......... do what quite a few do when the dog becomes unwanted ........ give your shares to the SPCA ........ I'm sure they will care for this neglected dog and nurse it back to good health ...... and maybe find a new owner for them

tim23
31-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Why sell now?

Dr_Who
01-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm thinking of selling out of this share.

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/082403/stock-market-drinking-game.gif

Arbitrage
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
A bit of action:

http://www.directbroking.co.nz/directtrade/dynamic/quote.aspx?QQE=ASX&QQSC=gpg

01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
GPG, a wholly owned subsidiary of investment holding company Guinness Peat Group, has made an unconditional offer to acquire Australia's largest dimensional sandstone producer Gosford Quarry Holdings Limited.

The offer, of A$0.55c per share, will commence on February 18 and end March 18.

From "The Independent."

Contrarian
01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Gidday

GPG basically own Capral aluminium,this sandstone crowd & I think there was something about them owning tracts of properties thru a holding in something like brickworks.
Fast forward through planning with councils, solve the Sydney housing crisis & ride the next boom.. time frame 4-7 years.

winner69
01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
GPG already have just under 20% of Gosford and like Newbury pissed at the lack of effort in developing surplus land

Steve
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
And land is a scarce resource that is often under-valued in the balance sheet...

Toddy
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Its time to start chatting about GPG again with their annual result due latter this month.

What is the possibility of write offs of Coats inventory in the current environment. I would say high. GPG has had to deal with a fair number of head winds in recent times, the dollar only being one of them.

I'm picking GPG to dissapoint the market sending the shares into the $1.25 range. About half of the SP value from when the brokers were picking GPG as the next big thing.

Arbitrage
07-02-2008, 01:19 PM
With all the bad news coming out of the USA, and the south trending share price, things are not looking good for GPG, although with about 18% of their holdings in cash, this might offset some problems.
It will be interesting to watch what the Directors are paid, especially for the lack of share price performance in the past 12 months.

Awamoa
07-02-2008, 05:45 PM
This stock is bringing back memories of 1987-88 when I held a particular investment in Robt Jones Investments.I kept on holding in the belief that it would rise.The only difference being that with that investment the CEO kept telling us never sell.This time we are not being told a damn thing.Am I heading for a similar conclusion?

troyvdh
07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Awamoa...its very uncanny....I have exactly the same thoughts....I sold out of GPG (was a very long term holder) when I looked at the chart and saw that it wasnt going north anymore..sold out at 240........I could talk to you for yonks about my experience with RJI....
please send me a e mail......if held GPG I would be ringing that joker weiss (?)....good luck...

warthog
07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
This stock is bringing back memories of 1987-88 when I held a particular investment in Robt Jones Investments.I kept on holding in the belief that it would rise.The only difference being that with that investment the CEO kept telling us never sell

You mean that Bob Jones was telling the market that RJI shares were good buying and that if the market didn't value RJI shares as highly as he did, he would take the company private by buying on-market, while all the time disposing of larger tranches of own RJI shares? That wouldn't be cricket now, would it?

troyvdh
07-02-2008, 07:25 PM
warthog...didnt he making a stand at 70 cents (buying) when "he" turned out not to be actually him ?...more like the company super....

Awamoa
07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
If my memory serves me correctly he also took a $70 million management fee for all the good work.

warthog
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
the hog once bumped into jones. "gidday bob," the hog said quickly, staying on-guard for a quick uppercut to the snout. "ah ah ah ah, .... hello" said bob, a little surprised, for bob had at that point was not aware of the hog's reputation or profile. bob's not the same person in private conversation as his public image would have as ...

true story.

Sideshow Bob
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
The equation remains simple - GPG will go up once Cujodog sells.....

Go the dog!

stevo1
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
i was one of a number of investors who took a court action against "SIR" robber thru RJI .But the bastard had a contract(that he had drawn up in effect between himself)) with RJI ideminfying him for any costs incurred in his function as an executive in RJI ie RJI would be suing RJI to recover investments for small investors when RJI was effectively broke."SIR" robber had walked with the "little" peoples money.This bloke is still held up as a "smart" business man and is interveiwed on TV for expert opinion(yeah right) obviously a man of honour and integrity and a great NEW ZEALANDER (yeah right) .People who pulled similar stunts in other countries were jailed.Such were the security laws in N Z. at the time. Other property "gurus" from that era still pop up on TV .Ron Brierly however was (probably still is)cut from different cloth and if anything him and his team have "weathered" with age .Was an intial holder of GPG from its inception but out sold last year havent been following it since but having observed Brierly over the years doubt whether any hanky panky going on maybe just age has caught up with him and team.Probably should have stuck to his original intention of 10 year life for GPG.Certainly coates hasnt looked good and some of their best investments seem to have been under sold.Somehow they watched the largest mineral boom in our lifetimes and havent participated in it.Hopefully for GPG holders the old fox still has some tricks up his sleeve

winner69
07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
i .Somehow they watched the largest mineral boom in our lifetimes and havent participated in it.Hopefully for GPG holders the old fox still has some tricks up his sleeve

.... just hindsight and on reflection you could have said the sane a few years ago 'somehow they watched the largest tech boom in our lifetimes and haven't participated in it' .... except after the event like their foray into Intellect etc

If i recall they once did (or still do) an interest in some miner with huge potential .... anybody enlighten me?

winner69
07-02-2008, 10:29 PM
i

Hopefully for GPG holders the old fox still has some tricks up his sleeve

Does the old fox and his mates really worry about shareholders should be the question stevo1

Answer - in their retirement days and enjoying life and making heaps of dosh at the expense of shareholders probably not

I wouldn't mind spending a few hours in the office going over the daily news ... working out where I could have a bit of fun .... telling the lawyers and the boys what i wanted .... getting them to do all the work .... sit back and see the reaction and have sone fun .... stir things up a bit .... and see what happens .... and collect a pretty good salary (more than any other shareholder will earn) ...... and if it all goes to plan even more riches .... if it turns to custard it's not our money is it ....what a good life ....I do feel envious

Well thats how I see GPG these days - and the shareprice seems to reflect that feeling

Steve
07-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I thought that Ron didn't take much, if anything, in the way of remuneration?

stevo1
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Cant really disagree with what your saying there winner. But steve has a point . From memory Brierely's remuneration comes largely from his stake in the GPG.So he has an interest in seeing GPG doing well and it is in the mans nature and makeup to do so.

jdg
08-02-2008, 11:28 AM
like many, this was a steady earner for me for a quite a while, but it's had a terrible run in the last year or so. at the start of 2007 it was picked by many NZ brokers as one of their top buys. didn't quite work out that way. i got out in feb last year when coats disappointed once again. it just has the feeling of thistle hotels about it. i can't see GPG doing too much while coats is struggling and i didn't understand the thread business - all around the world - well enough to see if they could turn it around. still don't. but if they manage it, the sp, in my opinion, would run very hard.

-j

Billy Boy
08-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Coats is very dependant on the USD and they need to get this European court case of their backs. I also think the US presedential out come will be significant. The US Sub Prime event seams to have bottomed, so going into the 2009 year could be very good for GPG. They have heaps of dosh.
They are starting to buy up, so thats a good sign.
But they are O/Seas domiciled, three years to run. :(
BB

Arbitrage
14-02-2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23209055-643,00.html

Hoop
14-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Coats is very dependant on the USD and they need to get this European court case of their backs. I also think the US presedential out come will be significant. The US Sub Prime event seams to have bottomed, so going into the 2009 year could be very good for GPG. They have heaps of dosh.
They are starting to buy up, so thats a good sign.
But they are O/Seas domiciled, three years to run. :(
BB

I would not assume that the the sub prime event has bottomed. Not getting very much media attention does not mean that things are improving. In fact the sub prime mess is set to get a lot worse as the next round of loans are nearly due to be rolled over again. We are just experiencing warm fuzzies from the media due to good earnings from several giant companies at the moment.
To see what the media in general aren't reporting and what is happening behind the scenes (so to speak) read this article from the Financial Times (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/523f5bf0-d9a6-11dc-bd4d-0000779fd2ac,dwp_uuid=d355f29c-d238-11db-a7c0-000b5df10621.html?nclick_check=1) released 2 days ago.

28-02-2008, 09:17 AM
GPG
28/02/2008
FLLYR

REL: 0852 HRS Guinness Peat Group Plc

FLLYR: GPG: Preliminary Announcement of GPG 2007 Results

PRELIMINARY REPORT OF GUINNESS PEAT GROUP PLC ("GPG")
FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31 DECEMBER 2007

GPG results for announcement to the Market for the year ended 31 December

Please note the following key information:

* Revenue decreased by GBP37 million (2.7%) over the corresponding
period in 2006;

* Profit from ordinary activities after tax attributable to members
GBP129 million - an
increase of GBP93 million (258.3%) from the previous year;

* Net profit for the year attributable to members GBP129 million - an
increase of
GBP93 million (258.3%) from the previous year;

* Gains of GBP129 million realised on portfolio investments during the
year;

* 1.0p interim dividend has been declared for the year, payable on 19
May 2008 to
shareholders on the register as at 7 March 2008 (0.91p paid during
the year in
respect of the year ended 31 December 2006, as adjusted for the 2007
capitalisation
issue);

* The record date for entitlement to dividend is 7 March 2008. See note
10 to the
Notes to the Preliminary Results; and

* These Preliminary Results are based on financial information for the
year ended
31 December 2007 which is in the process of being audited.

J R Russell
Group Company Secretary
28 February 2008
Guinness Peat Group plc

("GPG" or "the Company" or "the Group")

Ted2
28-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Looks like all the fears were unfounded. Coats progressing well.

Arbitrage
28-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Coats Group Limited: unaudited results* for the year ended 31 December 2007

Financial summary

2007 2006
Unaudited Unaudited
US$m US$m
Revenue 1,681.2 1,615.1

Operating profit before reorganisation, impairment and other exceptional
items (see note 2) 158.1 122.4

Operating profit 118.8 79.9

Profit before taxation 95.6 57.1

Net profit attributable to equity shareholders 61.8 29.9

Net debt** 335.9 345.7

Net gearing** 63% 76%

* see note 1
** net debt and net gearing include amounts owed to GPG of $55.0 million
(2006 - nil) and are after the payment of European Commission fines
cumulatively totalling $37.7 million (2006 - $7.9 million)

o Pre-exceptional operating profit up 29%

o Industrial thread pre-exceptional operating profit up 28%,
with 12% sales growth in Asia

o Crafts pre-exceptional operating profit up 36%, with recovery
in North American crafts

28-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Well the market has reacted. Up 14c.

ADB
28-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Up 21c now.

stevieb
28-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Its time to start chatting about GPG again with their annual result due latter this month.

What is the possibility of write offs of Coats inventory in the current environment. I would say high. GPG has had to deal with a fair number of head winds in recent times, the dollar only being one of them.

I'm picking GPG to dissapoint the market sending the shares into the $1.25 range. About half of the SP value from when the brokers were picking GPG as the next big thing.

Just love to remind people that they don't know what there are talking about.

Cujodog I won't even bother

28-02-2008, 11:16 AM
From stuff.co.nz

Will take another 24 hours to filter through to a lot of investors. I predict further improvement in the share price over the next few days.

GPG posts record profit
By DAVID HARGREAVES - Fairfax Media | Thursday, 28 February 2008

MARTY MELVILLE/Dominion Post
GPG RESULT: Sir Ron Brierley's investment vehicle Guinness Peat Group has recorded a bumper after-tax annual profit of $314 million.

LATEST: Guinness Peat Group has smashed its previous record earnings, reporting a £129 million ($314 million) after-tax profit for the year to December.
The GPG share price soared 21 cents, or 14.6 per cent on the news today.
The investment vehicle, founded and chaired by New Zealand investment veteran Sir Ron Brierley, easily eclipsed its previous best of £112 million made way back in 1999.
Sir Ron said the main components of the record profit were the sale of shares in both Tower spin-off Australian Wealth Management and Premier Investments - after the latter had made a windfall profit on its sale of shares in retail giant Coles.
After the first half of the current year, GPG had expressed high hopes for the second half. However, Sir Ron said "in the event it was not as good as anticipated".
He said the €110 million fine clamped on GPG subsidiary Coats in relation to historic cartel issues was "an unwelcome and unexpected blow".
"Perversely, that is also the good news. We believe that this amount will eventually be proved unsustainable, even to the extent of a complete reversal of the initial finding," Sir Ron said.
Otherwise trading at threadmaker Coats continued to improve, with the industrial thread business showing the benefit of a "massively expensive" restructuring.
Sir Ron said the volatility in the global economy was presenting GPG with buying opportunities. "The ultimate outcome of the present market turmoil should be actively favourable for GPG."
The company is paying its usual 1 pence a share dividend and 1-for-10 bonus issue.

Toddy
28-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Just love to remind people that they don't know what there are talking about.

Cujodog I won't even bother

Stevieb, I know exactly what I am talking about thanks very much. GPG is in the business of dressing mutton up to look like Lamb before flogging it off. Lets see what happens to the GPG SP over the next two sessions to see if the Institutional investors have bought the story of Coats with its high debt gearing in an ever increasing cost of capital environment.

Congratulations to GPG on the other 'realised' sales.

spoilt
28-02-2008, 11:47 AM
As a substantial holder, all I can say is it is nice to start breathing again! Hope you held Cujo?

Toddy
28-02-2008, 11:56 AM
One thing that have noticed is that every second investment company like GPG are coming out and saying that the current environment offers 'buying' opportunities.

There does not seem to be a lack of money out there so one has to wonder if there is actually a cashflow crises or the market has over reacted leading everyone to believe that there is one.

The offshore markets have been humming along while the NZ market has been going backwards.

Maybe GPG should be looking at a PPL, HBY, RAK etc investment.

QOH
28-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Are GPG not having their usual one for ten bonus issue or whatever they call it? Didn't see any mention in the results I read.

stevieb
28-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Are GPG not having their usual one for ten bonus issue or whatever they call it? Didn't see any mention in the results I read.

It's there all right, look for CAPITAL AND DIVIDEND

Toddy
28-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, it looks like the market is loving the result. Here comes $1.80 over the next week.

If only some of this positive news rubbed off on IFT.

stevieb
28-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Lets see what happens to the GPG SP over the next two sessions to see if the Institutional investors have bought the story of Coats with its high debt gearing in an ever increasing cost of capital environment.
Indeed, first impressions are that they have bought it. Even you now seem convinced if your last post is a sign?

Sideshow Bob
28-02-2008, 07:09 PM
My firsdt thoughts when I saw the price go up today was that Cujodoggie had sold out!

tim23
28-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Great recovery but way off 52 week high!

stevieb
28-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Great recovery but way off 52 week high!
One day at a time. Not sure what the market was like in NZ today but for me in Aus this was the one bit of green in a sea of red.

I also tend to agree with the theory it takes a few days to really get understood by all the "Mums and Dads".

living2
29-02-2008, 05:04 AM
My firsdt thoughts when I saw the price go up today was that Cujodoggie had sold out!
My first thoughts is he has shorted GPG

Steve
29-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I also tend to agree with the theory it takes a few days to really get understood by all the "Mums and Dads".

'Mum and Dad' prefer to wait and read it in the newspaper or see it on TV, before it really is true!

stevo1
01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Does the old fox and his mates really worry about shareholders should be the question stevo1

Answer - in their retirement days and enjoying life and making heaps of dosh at the expense of shareholders probably not

I wouldn't mind spending a few hours in the office going over the daily news ... working out where I could have a bit of fun .... telling the lawyers and the boys what i wanted .... getting them to do all the work .... sit back and see the reaction and have sone fun .... stir things up a bit .... and see what happens .... and collect a pretty good salary (more than any other shareholder will earn) ...... and if it all goes to plan even more riches .... if it turns to custard it's not our money is it ....what a good life ....I do feel envious

Well thats how I see GPG these days - and the shareprice seems to reflect that feeling

The old fox has still got it. Shame about the DJI on Friday sure to take something from GPG sp.

Steve
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I can't believe my luck. I talked myself into selling this share last week. I knew the profit result was coming out and I thought it was going to be bad and didn't want to be holding when the share price went to $1.20.

#$ck!!

Thanks Cujo! :D

01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a feeling that cujodog is just taking the mickey out of us. He either doesn't own any shares or he is a successful investor having a bit of fun. No one could be as stupid as he comes across as.

Steve
01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I have a feeling that cujodog is just taking the mickey out of us. He either doesn't own any shares or he is a successful investor having a bit of fun. No one could be as stupid as he comes across as.

I don't think that Cujo is stupid, just unfortunate! ;)

zac
01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I wish Cujodog would tell us what he intends to do before he acts; he obviously influences the market. We could then buy or sell (whatever he is not doing). Or would this be 'insider trading'?

POSSUM THE CAT
01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
He certainly drove the price down and if he purchased when he said he sold he would have made a nice profit. Nobody is under oath here.

macduffy
02-03-2008, 08:38 AM
He certainly drove the price down and if he purchased when he said he sold he would have made a nice profit. Nobody is under oath here.

I think Cujo would be flattered that anyone thinks he can drive a SP down!

;)

Sideshow Bob
02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
We all know that CJ Dog is just another alter ego of another poster (I just can't remember which).

AMR
02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a great contrarian indicator that guy...

Nice rally but on weak volume...I'm waiting and watching.

whatsup
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Welcom back Belg---, believe it or not yourve been missed ,Now no more Leftie Cr@p remember "The left is a lie".

COLIN
12-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Wow. Suddenly this company looks in real trouble again. Has the Coats empire crumbled?

I would not want to be invested in this company, come hell or high water.

No - safe as houses!

(I wish we knew who his alter ego is. Anyone with any ideas?)

troyvdh
12-03-2008, 11:06 AM
777 ..your absolutely right....this cujo joker is taking the mickey.......come on ..own up...you pathetic plonker.....

Ted2
12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow. Suddenly this company looks in real trouble again. Has the Coats empire crumbled?

I would not want to be invested in this company, come hell or high water.

THANK YOU COOJO! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

spoilt
14-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Why the hell is this price languishing? Fundamentals are excellent. Future looks positive. Its in much better shape than punters thought it was this time last year. So why the hell is the price not over $2.00??

Disclosure: A substatial amount of my portfolio is in GPG and I have a 3 year horizon ending late 2010.

Toddy
14-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Why the hell is this price languishing? Fundamentals are excellent. Future looks positive. Its in much better shape than punters thought it was this time last year. So why the hell is the price not over $2.00??

Disclosure: A substatial amount of my portfolio is in GPG and I have a 3 year horizon ending late 2010.

I can think of a few reasons..........

1. Current credit crises. (will right itself)
2. Helen's ability to change the rules day by day to suit her political agenda. (you can help vote labour out later this year)
3. Analysists struggle to read where the Coats business is heading. (this one has no quick fix).

spoilt
14-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I can think of a few reasons..........

1. Current credit crises. (will right itself)
2. Helen's ability to change the rules day by day to suit her political agenda. (you can help vote labour out later this year)
3. Analysists struggle to read where the Coats business is heading. (this one has no quick fix).

1 and 2 surely are the sorts of things that GPG thrives on? Time will tell on 3 but looks good so far.

macduffy
14-03-2008, 02:16 PM
1 and 2 surely are the sorts of things that GPG thrives on? Time will tell on 3 but looks good so far.

Further reasons might be:

- The market has fallen out of love with " investment companies ", full stop.

- A large investment in Capral Aluminium turned sour a few years ago and isn't showing signs of recovery yet

- Biggest reason of all may be the excess caution caused by the current bear market. May be irrational, but there it is!

:cool:

baxter
14-03-2008, 05:12 PM
The Massive Judgement against Coates hanging over them also adds to the uncertainty.

AMR
16-03-2008, 05:03 PM
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6558/gpg16thmarch2008om2.png

Still going down, no sign of the downtrend abating..note the small volume after the profit announcement.

26-03-2008, 08:15 AM
$5.6 million bumper pay packet for GPG executive
By DAVID HARGREAVES - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Guiness Peat Group director Tony Gibbs received the equivalent of $5.6 million in salary and bonuses - one of the best returns on record for a New Zealand-based executive of a sharemarket-listed company.
GPG top executives have had bumper pay packets as a result of the company's record profit in the past year.
Mr Gibbs, 60, is an experienced, shrewd and colourful company director with a high profile.
New Zealand-based executives have had some big paydays in recent times because of the strong economic growth in the first five years of this decade.
About three years ago, Sky Network TV chief executive John Fellet picked up nearly $9 million after Sky TV and INL merged and bought 20 years of share options from him.
Former Telecom chief executive Theresa Gattung was paid $5.4 million in her final year with the company, including one-off payments.
GPG's top four executives together collected 8.86 million (NZ$21.9 million) for the year to December 2007, in which GPG posted an after- tax profit of 126 million. It was the most the four executives had been paid in one year.
In addition, the four were collectively showing book profits of more than 1 million on options converted into GPG shares during the year, the company's annual report shows.
Chairman and founder Sir Ron Brierley receives no salary as he is not an executive of the company, but he did get a bonus of 150,000 this year.
For the executives, Gary Weiss, Graeme Cureton, Blake Nixon and New Zealand director Mr Gibbs, most of this year's take-home pay has come from bonuses after the company's strong profit.
The executives missed out on bonuses in 2006 after the company's performance target of a 12 1/2 per cent realised return on shareholders' funds through net profits was not achieved in that year.
However, of Mr Gibbs' pay in 2007, about $1.36 million was in standard pay and the rest - more than $4.2 million - was in bonuses. In 2006, he was paid about $1.18 million in total.
Mr Gibbs said GPG was an international investment firm that rewarded its executives on an international basis. "I spend a lot of my time offshore."

jdg
26-03-2008, 04:36 PM
i really like tony gibbs as a director, but clearly his remuneration isn't based on share price performance. although i no longer hold, i had a good run with GPG a while back, i couldn't, however, get my head around the prospects or profitability of Coats. i'd like to think tony does have his head around the stuttering thread maker, and if that's so, it would be rather nice to see some evidence of progress in the company, then share holders may also get pleasing rewards - albeit not as pleasing as those enjoyed by GPG directors. good luck to holders.
-j

spoilt
28-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice run on the share at the moment... keep going baby!

Arbitrage
31-03-2008, 11:01 AM
According to the broker presentation given by GPG on Friday the net asset backing per share is NZ$1.93.

stevieb
02-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Not much commentary here but appears to me that GPG have made a classic opportunistic bid for this one. Acceptance at 90.17% so just over the line to proceed to compulsory acquisition.

Will be interesting to see what they end up doing with the assets but on the valuations would appear they have set up some windfall gains.

stevieb
02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
According to the broker presentation given by GPG on Friday the net asset backing per share is NZ$1.93.

Absolutely. Having followed GPG for some time would suggest this is one of the best ways of valuing this company and they have certainly shown an impressive growth in net asset backing over the years. A classic "value" investor you would have thought would be more attractive in the current market. Still plenty of money in the bank to make those opportunistic value investments like GQH. A good market for GPG!

Sideshow Bob
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Cujo, did you sell yesterday??

stevieb
03-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Well I held off saying it yesterday as it was a bit of a marginal call but would be interested to see the latest chartist view on GPG as it looks to me like that downtrend is well and truly broken.

warthog
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I sold out a few weeks ago, but am certainly looking to buy back in shortly.

This is going to $3 easy!!

The hog is following Cujo closely ... but on the short side. When Cujo buys, the hog shorts, and vice-versa. It's called the CUJ-D. The Cujo-Dynamic indicator. More details for only $99.99.

Phaedrus
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
What a strange coincidence, Warthog! - I have developed an identical Cujodog indicator.......

I called mine CJD, though - mad dog disease!

Hoop
04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm in again
I consider GPG to be a healthy stock at the moment.....no sign of rabies:D:D

Disc: GPG MFT NZO PRC
cash 70%

Steve
06-04-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm in again

It signalled a buy a week or so ago...

Disc: Hold GPG

Hoop
06-04-2008, 11:57 PM
It signalled a buy a week or so ago...

Disc: Hold GPG

Yes I'm little late and may suffer short term loss because of it.

The purchase wasn't huge, (still in cautious mode)... hoping for a bit more of a rally up to I persume the ex 1:10 bonus issue...hoping the bear market rally may last a month or two .... hoping that GPG has bottomed out. All these + other variables will decide what I am going to do with this stock whether to hold or sell. At the moment I have hopped onto this moving bus without a clue where its going.
IT was a stock in my old long term portfolio before I cashed the whole lot up last year....now purchasing GPG back at a much lesser price than I sold it for...so I have a bit of a sweetener if I end up sucking a lemon :p

Arbitrage
25-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Company Guinness Peat Group PLC
TIDM GPG
Headline Rule 8.3- Fiberweb PLC
Released 13:00 21-Apr-08
Number 7637S

RNS Number:7637S
Guinness Peat Group PLC
21 April 2008

Re Fiberweb plc

The following is the text of a letter which is being sent today by Guinness Peat
Group plc ("GPG") to Fiberweb plc ("Fiberweb") in connection with GPG's purchase
of shares in Fiberweb.

"Disclosure of Interest in Shares pursuant to Rule 8.3 of the Takeover Code
("the Code")

Guinness Peat Group plc and its subsidiary companies ("the Group") hereby notify
Fiberweb plc ("Fiberweb") that, following the market acquisitions of 750,000
Ordinary shares of Fiberweb ("Shares") on 18 April 2008 at £0.55 per Share, the
Group's direct interest now amounts to 2,563,300 Shares representing 2.09% of
the issued share capital of Fiberweb.

At the close of business on the date of the transaction disclosed above, the
Group also had an economic interest by way of Contracts for Difference in
respect of 1,340,000 Shares representing 1.09% of the issued share capital of
Fiberweb.

Therefore, following the above transaction, in accordance with its disclosure
obligations under Rule 8.3 of the City Code the Group has an economic interest
in an aggregate 3.19% of the issued share capital of Fiberweb.

The Group has an interest by virtue of being a Rule 8.3 shareholder of Fiberweb.
No member of the Group is party to any agreement or arrangement relating to the
exercise of any rights conferred by holding the Shares the subject of this
notification."

Richard Russell
Company Secretary
Guinness Peat Group plc
Tel: (0) 20 7484 3370

21 April 2008

COLIN
30-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I've just bought back in. Have taken out a second mortgage and all of it has gone on Ron and his mates.

Go GPG!!!!!!!!!!

Translation: Short GPG, Cujo is buying.

Steve
30-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Translation: Short GPG, Cujo is buying.

Indeed! ;)

POSSUM THE CAT
01-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Would they give a Dog any more than 50cents second mortgage on his kennel

02-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Gee I wish I had more to put into this share.

This will be past $2 within in a month. I'm going to make a fortune.

Then the rest of us will make a BIG fortune.

Is that $2 before or after the 1 for 10.

biker
02-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Then the rest of us will make a BIG fortune.

Is that $2 before or after the 1 for 10.

You bought back those ones you sold 777?

02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Didn't sell any in my investment portfolio but have sold them out of my trading one. Sold most at about 2.05-2.10. Have not bought back in as NZO has better trading range and has taken most of my funds.

Quite content to hold the investment lot.

Arbitrage
02-05-2008, 05:23 PM
GPG has announced it wants to buy more Tower shares.
See http://www.directbroking.co.nz/directtrade/dynamic/quote.aspx?QQE=ASX&QQSC=gpg

02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Obviously the reason the quotes are locked up 176 buy and 175 sell at 5pm.

stevieb
02-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Love it, every reason to think they will get there despite this being fairly cheap. Macquarie have been creaping up the register at Tower so probably GPG wanted to be in control of the action.

Not sure I'll sell my own though, not that I have many (remnants of the float, never really enough money to worry about!)

09-05-2008, 02:09 PM
A bit of interest as the bonus date approaches.

Grimy
10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow best decision in my life to get that second mortgage and buy back in. This is going to $3 within 6 months - I can feel it in my bones.

I'm going to be rich. Rich i tell you!!!

I recall that being said about RBD when they got to just over $2.00 :-)

Billy Boy
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
And NZD comes under pressure against the AUD and GBP ... :)
The carry trade is alive and well at the moment.
So with a falling dollar, will The C/Trade dry up, and is that what's keeping
our liquidity (for what it is) turning.
I really wonder if the NZ$ will go down far enough,
And I think interest rates will remain high for a way yet.
BB

COLIN
12-05-2008, 05:57 PM
C'mon GPG ease up a bit - now I'm making soooo much money each day that my Mother in Law will be asking for a shout!!

Make sure its a Guinness! (Couldn't resist. Sorry.)

COLIN
12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
He he!!

The money I am currently making means it will only be Champagne from now on!!

Make it a Buck's Fizz then!

minimoke
14-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Go GPG. 5% a day is just beautiful.
Wasn’t it actually 3.3% for the day bringing it back up to November prices?

zac
14-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Champagne fueled optimism.

whatsup
14-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I heard that there is a broker report out on GPG which is causing a rethink and rerateing that has caused the price increase ,can any one shed any light of this and who is the broker?

whatsup
14-05-2008, 12:55 PM
OOps DOWN again!!!!

COLIN
14-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I heard that there is a broker report out on GPG which is causing a rethink and rerateing that has caused the price increase ,can any one shed any light of this and who is the broker?

Its a new broker, called Cujodog and Associates Ltd. They're often hard to get a hold of though. I think they go in for long, boozy lunches.

minimoke
14-05-2008, 04:52 PM
OOps DOWN again!!!!
Market probably reacting to the news that Cujodog is in!

Awamoa
14-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Poor old Cujo.Its dry bread and water tonight mate!

15-05-2008, 10:07 AM
GPG
15/05/2008
GENERAL

REL: 0833 HRS Guinness Peat Group Plc

GENERAL: GPG: Interim Management Statement

GUINNESS PEAT GROUP PLC

Interim Management Statement

Guinness Peat Group plc ("GPG") today publishes its first interim management
statement ("IMS") covering the period from 1 January 2008 to 14 May 2008.
This IMS has been prepared solely to provide additional information to
shareholders to meet the requirements of the UK Listing Authority's
Disclosure and Transparency Rules.

Financial Position

Despite the difficult market conditions GPG remains in a strong financial
position. Net asset backing per share at 31 March 2008 was 74.66p which
maintains the level reported at the year end.

Coats

Coats's trading in the period has overall been in line with expectations.
Coats has also recently entered into an agreement for a US$625m refinancing
of its debt facilities for a five year period on improved terms.

Interim Results

GPG is scheduled to release its interim results for the six months to 30 June
2008 at the end of August 2008.

The financial information on which this statement is based has not been
reviewed or reported on by GPG's auditors.

J R Russell
Company Secretary
Guinness Peat Group plc
+44 20 7484 3370

14 May 2008

Steve
15-05-2008, 05:00 PM
GPG is still ticking along in its uptrend... :)

22-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Last day of trading tomorrow (Friday) for the bonus issue. The kick up before hand has drifted off. Looks like about 1.60 ex.

spoilt
23-05-2008, 02:47 PM
This company is killing me. I bought more at $1.92. I'm losing my shirt now.

Poor old Cujo. Please keep us posted on when you SELL so that we know that the price is about to rise again!
Heheh

Steve
23-05-2008, 08:26 PM
The CUJO indicator is correct once again! ;)

whatsup
26-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Ex the 1/10 "Friday" but up .11 today correct!

Snapper
26-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Ex the 1/10 "Friday" but up .11 today correct!

...on turnover of about 4000 shares

26-05-2008, 11:31 AM
These trades appear to be made by someone who was unaware of them being ex bonus.

Their loss unfortunately.

Hoop
26-05-2008, 01:29 PM
These trades appear to be made by someone who was unaware of them being ex bonus.

Hey Cujodog...Did you sell 4000 shares to your Mother in Law this morning ?? :D:D:D:D:D

ak1261
26-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi

Could someone kindly help me work out how much I can get for the dividends and Scrip Dividend Shares with 5000 GPG shares (I been holding them since last year) ?

Thanks in advance

26-05-2008, 06:46 PM
ak1261... div shares are 5000 divided by 60. ie 83.
The scrip shares will be 5083 divided by 10. ie 508.

They can be sold on market the same as head shares at market price as they are all the same now. The new ones should be advised to you next week but you can check your holding on the register on line.

ak1261
26-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks 777

Really helped

Steve
26-05-2008, 07:48 PM

If it was an over-hanging order, I would have thought that it would have been cleared from the system or if it was a new order that the broker would have indicated the change in status...

26-05-2008, 07:56 PM
If it was an over-hanging order, I would have thought that it would have been cleared from the system or if it was a new order that the broker would have indicated the change in status...

I agree but if someone puts a bid in this morning after that, and online, therefore no contact direct with a broker then they will pick them up at what the offered. Unfortunate but they only have themselves to blame.

Hoop
26-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I agree but if someone puts a bid in this morning after that, and online, therefore no contact direct with a broker then they will pick them up at what the offered. Unfortunate but they only have themselves to blame.
I had a partially filled on-line order with DB for LMP at 14c when it shot up to 17c... when the news came out after the weekend and it suddenly dropped to 10c I got a ring from DB informing me of the drop and did I want to amend the rest of my order or cancel it. I couldn't thank him enough for giving me a phone call, what a great service he did.

I forgot to ask him what would've happened if I was not at home and/or couldn't get in contact with me.

27-05-2008, 03:46 PM
That is great Hoop. The sort of attention that we all respect. Good on DB. If you were not at home then I think they would have had to leave the order as it was. The risk they would take if the price then shot up again and you had missed out would be too great.

I use DB and I have no complaints in recent times. They must have a good laugh at some of my trades though. They make more out of the brokerage than I do on the trade.

Must stop this discussion on this GPG thread.

Tanger
27-05-2008, 03:58 PM
All the orders got cleared on Friday night (or at least before the open on Monday). There was a buy order that got put in that morning (I was trying to sell but obviously someone else got in there with a lower price). Someone obviously just missed the fact that they went ex the 1:10 on Friday.

I actually had a similar experience to the one mentioned above in relation to a buy order for some Feltex shares the morning things went horribly wrong. ASB Securities phoned to advise me to remove the order. I was pretty impressed given that I've never really viewed them as a full service provider (more just giving you the option of saving some brokerage).

30-05-2008, 03:22 PM
And they are the same price now as they were last week at this time. 1.76cb =1.60xb

COLIN
30-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm out!!

I've had a gutsful of this company promising so much and then failing to deliver. Management are to blame and some heads at the top should roll.

Don't expect to see me backing this dead horse again.

Its obvious, then, that the rest of us should be in!

Sideshow Bob
04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm glad Basetrader is frequently the Pike River thread these days - this thread has become 'The Dog's Show'!

Steve
05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Gee I'm glad I sold out of this dog.

Did someone just say Titanic?!

And the shareprice celebrates Cujo's exit by moving upwards! ;)

whatsup
11-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Up up and away, now above the ex 1/10 price go go go!!!

11-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Up up and away, now above the ex 1/10 price go go go!!!

Maybe they have bought into PRC and/or NZO.

Arbitrage
12-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Yesterdays presentation in London to analysts about Coats:

http://www.gpgplc.com/corporate/StockExchange/11062008165921.pdf

Hoop
12-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Yesterdays presentation in London to analysts about Coats:

http://www.gpgplc.com/corporate/StockExchange/11062008165921.pdf

Whew!! big download 170 pages.

Arbitrage
12-06-2008, 10:08 AM
You have to ask why they are making this presentation to analysts? Maybe they want to sell Coats? Or are they trying to convince analysts to revalue GPG because of the growth in cashflow and profitability, and therefore value, of Coats?
The results have certainly helped the share price.

13-06-2008, 09:12 AM
page 4 of the Business part of today's NZ herald has article on Coats in China.

Steve
14-06-2008, 08:03 PM
page 4 of the Business part of today's NZ herald has article on Coats in China.

Can you give an overview of the article as it doesn't appear to be online, or is it just a re-hash of the announcement as opposed to a piece of original quality journalism?

14-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Try these... or put GPG in company search.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=60&objectid=10515995
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/story.cfm?c_id=1501241&objectid=10515808

Not sure if exactly the article but am out of the country at the moment without Fridays paper to refer to.

Steve
15-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for that. :)

Base Trader
27-06-2008, 01:06 AM
I have been out of the GPG circle for a while (while I still hold some of my former doling). Fundamentally, I have seen the progress of the Coats as very positive, the Tower acquisition as positive, but the sp still languishes Coats is a brilliant operation with high barriers to entry and positioned very well. For mine this is the most undervalued company on the NZX, However, unfortunately I believe it will remain so for some time. The effect of the 5 year grace period is weighing on investors minds where GPG gets its liquidity (NZ investors) and there is nothing that indicates that the share price will fillip prior to closing in on 2012 (exemption running out).

The trend is your friend (or not in GPG's case). However, if you are a longer term holder I would try to pick the bottom. I am a UK tax payer so I do not care about the exemption - but it will provide a buying opportunity.

I will re-enter. But not just yet. I have been whiling my time away in the PRC thread (where I invested substantially) and in various commodity stocks in Aussie and see upside there before re-trenching in the cyclical commodity sphere. Overall, I see a real issue with value in the markets and I do not see opportunities.

Hoop
27-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I have been out of the GPG circle for a while (while I still hold some of my former doling). Fundamentally, I have seen the progress of the Coats as very positive, the Tower acquisition as positive, but the sp still languishes Coats is a brilliant operation with high barriers to entry and positioned very well. For mine this is the most undervalued company on the NZX, However, unfortunately I believe it will remain so for some time. The effect of the 5 year grace period is weighing on investors minds where GPG gets its liquidity (NZ investors) and there is nothing that indicates that the share price will fillip prior to closing in on 2012 (exemption running out).

The trend is your friend (or not in GPG's case). However, if you are a longer term holder I would try to pick the bottom. I am a UK tax payer so I do not care about the exemption - but it will provide a buying opportunity.

I will re-enter. But not just yet. I have been whiling my time away in the PRC thread (where I invested substantially) and in various commodity stocks in Aussie and see upside there before re-trenching in the cyclical commodity sphere. Overall, I see a real issue with value in the markets and I do not see opportunities.

My thoughts exactly

Bought GPG a couple of months ago on the BMrally, the good news from Coates and the falling NZ$ ....All that combined should had seen a descent rally to the share-price and some sort of plateau price effect but it has down-turned again:( and the equity market lately is showing signs of increased hostility......I sold out a couple of weeks ago on the sell signals...made nothing (miniscule loss) ..in hindsight, a waste of time and unnecessary exposure to market risk.

GPG is subject to equity market effects so will avoid as well until the equity tide turns.

Hoop hates to say this as he is a individualistic type of investor...but.. sometimes it pays (big time:D) to stampede with the herd into commodity related stocks....being individualistic in nature though, I have to keep on checking to make sure the herd that I'm running with isn't made up of Lemmings.

28-06-2008, 12:56 PM
For those of you don't get the Herald an article on Coates in today's paper.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10518792

whatsup
30-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Why is GPG dying today , I would have thought that after the seemingly positive story from the Coats visit that the s p would have held up!!!!

30-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Just floating down with the rest of the market I think. Had to sell a few myself last week to be able to take up my NZO options. There may be a few others who have done/doing the same.

Hoop
30-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Why is GPG dying today , I would have thought that after the seemingly positive story from the Coats visit that the s p would have held up!!!!
Have a look at GPG portfolio.

OUR INVESTMENTS

Summary of Principal Quoted Investments (http://www.gpgplc.com/aboutus/investments_principal.aspx)

Click on a company name to view their website.
Disclosed Shareholdings
as at 14 March 2008Shareholding SUBSIDIARY UNDERTAKINGS Canberra Investment Corporation Ltd (http://www.ciclimited.com.au/)68.0%Turners & Growers Ltd (http://www.turnersandgrowers.com/)65.1%Capral Limited (http://www.capral.com.au/)53.1% OTHER SHAREHOLDINGS
United Kingdom Newbury Racecourse plc (http://www.newbury-racecourse.co.uk/)29.0%Autologic Holdings plc (http://www.autologic.co.uk/)21.5%Young & Co.’s Brewery P.L.C. (‘A’ Shares) (http://www.youngs.co.uk/)10.2%Ashley House plc (http://www.ashleyhouseplc.com/)9.5%Dawson International PLC (http://www.dawson-international.co.uk/)6.8%Nationwide Accident Repair Services plc (http://www.narsplc.com/)5.6% Australia Rattoon Holdings Ltd (http://www.rattoon.com.au/)44.4%Tower Australia Group Ltd (http://www.toweraustralia.com.au/)29.9%Gosford Quarry Holdings Ltd (http://www.gosfordquarries.com.au/)29.2%The Maryborough Sugar Factory Ltd (http://www.marysug.com.au/)27.3%Tooth & Co. Ltd24.9%eServGlobal Ltd (http://www.eservglobal.com/)18.7%Tandou Ltd (http://www.tandou.com.au/)17.0%Intellect Holdings Ltd (http://www.intellect.com.au/)15.7%MMC Contrarian Ltd (http://www.mmccontrarian.com.au/)14.1%MYOB Ltd (http://www.myob.com.au/)13.6%Farm Pride Foods Ltd (http://www.farmpride.com.au/)13.2%NSX Ltd9.9%Capilano Honey Ltd (http://www.capilano.com.au/)9.4%AV Jennings Ltd (http://www.avjennings.com.au/)9.1%Symex Holdings (http://www.symex.com.au/)8.8%Metals X Ltd (http://www.metalsx.com.au/)8.0%CSR (http://www.csr.com.au/)6.0%GME Resources Ltd (http://www.gme-resources.com.au/)5.6% New Zealand Tower Ltd (http://www.tower.co.nz/)19.8%Turners Auctions Ltd (http://www.turners.co.nz/)19.4% France Dolfus Mieg et Cie (http://www.dmc.com/)24.3% Singapore Pertama Holdings Ltd14.0% United States of America Santa Fe Financial Corporation6.4%
Analysis of Total Holdings in above Companies
as at 14 March 2008

Note:... Coates is not a listed company. To view the major stocks of their portfolio click link below

Financial side of their portfolio (http://www.gpgplc.com/aboutus/investments_operations.aspx)

Toddy's post #1876 on 12 Nov 2007 says it all.

Quote.........The US downturn could really hurt the Coats business. The GPG portfolio is not a defensive one so their SP may take a bigger hit than others.

warthog
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
OK I'm back in. Couldn't resist. This is a $3 share - easy.

I can't believe how much money I am going to make over the next 2 years!

Are you running a hedge fund cujo? I'm interested in investing ...

05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
An update as at the 30/6/08

http://www.vond.co.nz/GPG/GPG080630.pdf

gulf
06-07-2008, 10:28 AM
looks like cujo could get $2 !!! which would be good for everyone .

spoilt
13-07-2008, 06:33 AM
At current sp surrely the company should consider buying back it's shares?

Sideshow Bob
13-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Would have thought that is an unusual move for a company at least 10% more shares every year.

JMKC
13-07-2008, 07:02 PM
An update as at the 30/6/08

http://www.vond.co.nz/GPG/GPG080630.pdf

The worst thing about this NAV is that they have the "market" value of Coats at 577m pounds, yet a) Coats is unlisted, and b) there is no way in hell they have doubled their money on this investment. So either they have written down the bookvalue which cant be true otherwise they would have had to disclose this to the market, or alternatively First NZ are being far too aggressive with their valuation. I suspect it is the latter.

BRICKS
14-07-2008, 09:00 AM
The listed investment "Sugar Terminals" @ 84 cents is not listed on the ASX where is is it listed & its CODE.. Thanks..

BRICKS
15-07-2008, 03:38 PM
CSR is dragging down GPG since 30/06/2008 CSR was $2.41 today $1.98 down approx 18%
so now loosing capital loss of $78.22 million , this is just one of there 42 investments just to say the $1.30 price is not CORRECT.. be wary..

Sideshow Bob
15-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Was talking to a broker mate today and he was predicting this would be under 50 cents by year's end.

I'm #%%@%# worried now.

Cujo, it was funny at the start, but now the whole act is getting very tired and repetitious.

warthog
16-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Cujo, it was funny at the start, but now the whole act is getting very tired and repetitious.

Cujo was never funny. BRICKS on the other hand, IS A REAL HOOT!

BRICKS
17-07-2008, 09:56 AM
CSR is dragging down GPG since 30/06/2008 CSR was $2.41 today $1.98 down approx 18%
so now loosing capital loss of $78.22 million , this is just one of there 42 investments just to say the $1.30 price is not CORRECT.. be wary..

IN case 1 CSR cap/loss 78.22 million plus down $4 yesterday.
IN case 2 SYM. the Soap people, company working 24 hour day/ 365 days a year and pays NO Div. GPG own 8.85% of Symex cost A$5,333 mil @ .35 cents shows a cap/loss A$2,102..

So $78.22 + $2,102 = A$80.322 >NZ$ 98.79 million.. along with 18 other investments also showing a LOSS be wary at what you pay for GPG..

beacon
18-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Interesting. GPG sure are hard to value right now. Some may argue that their asset values do not reflect current market... Is this share worth a $ right now? maybe a lot more long term, though not right now ... Coates is not proving easy to sew up ...

08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Trading halt. With the increase in price over the last week or so I would hope this is positive news coming.

Lizard
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Selling Tower Australia Group shares to Dai-ichi for $3.75.

whatsup
08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Whats the nitty gritty of the deal?

Lizard
08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Current price of TAL is $2.79, so I guess on 100.3m shares, that constitutes a gain equivalent to about NZ 8.7cps to GPG shareholders.

lissica
08-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Selling Tower Australia Group shares to Dai-ichi for $3.75.

Wow, that is some premium. Both GPG and TAL are the big parts of my NZX and ASX portfolio respectively. That makes my day!

Will it mean a takeover for Tower Australia?

warthog
08-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Just clarifying - this is about NZ$4.8? per share. Not a bad gain.

08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Below is part of notice in May. $3.75 gives a very good profit.

GPG
02/05/2008
TAKEOVER

REL: 1705 HRS Guinness Peat Group Plc

TAKEOVER: GPG: NOTICE OF INTENTION TO MAKE AN OFFER FOR TOWER LIMITED

GPG Partial Takeover Offer

Guinness Peat Group plc ("GPG") has advised that a wholly-owned subsidiary,
GPG Twenty One Limited, intends to make a partial offer under the New Zealand
Takeovers Code to purchase 15.30% of the ordinary shares in TOWER Limited
("TOWER") at a price of $2.30 per share. GPG currently controls, through a
wholly-owned subsidiary, 19.70% of TOWER.

Lizard
08-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Below is part of notice in May. $3.75 gives a very good profit.

GPG
02/05/2008
TAKEOVER

REL: 1705 HRS Guinness Peat Group Plc

TAKEOVER: GPG: NOTICE OF INTENTION TO MAKE AN OFFER FOR TOWER LIMITED

GPG Partial Takeover Offer

Guinness Peat Group plc ("GPG") has advised that a wholly-owned subsidiary,
GPG Twenty One Limited, intends to make a partial offer under the New Zealand
Takeovers Code to purchase 15.30% of the ordinary shares in TOWER Limited
("TOWER") at a price of $2.30 per share. GPG currently controls, through a
wholly-owned subsidiary, 19.70% of TOWER.

No, that was an offer for TWR. The sale is TAL. Confused me initially too.

08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
What an idiot I am. Thanks for correcting me.

Ted2
08-08-2008, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=777;217314]Below is part of notice in May. $3.75 gives a very good profit.

A good profit for GPG I think you mean!!!

TAL holders are however not seeing a rise to $3.75. Interested in anyone who can shed some theory or analysis what should happen in this sort of takeover/sale situation.
Is there any reason why the shareprice should rise up to close to the actual offer? It's not as though any small shareholders are being offered 3.75. So what are the possibilities ahead that could cause a further increase closer to the offer price?
If the Jap company thinks it's worth paying $3.75 for, why should the price sit 70c below that? Why shouldn't it go right up to that level? Then again why should it?

I understand that it would go straight to 3.75 today if there was thought that the Jap co. wanted to take more or all of the company. But if they just want to stay with the stake that GPG have sold them, why should it go up much at all? Maybe just a hope that something good will happen because somebody's paid $3.75 for it?

Appreciate any thoughts.
Ted

zac
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
The time has come for Gibbs, Weiss, and Brierley to show their mettle. They have boasted of a war chest (now increased with sale of TAR) and complained in the past of possible aquisitions being too expensive. Well right now there are bargains to be had for the astute investor. IF GPG is going to stand idle on the sidelines they may as well pack up and go home (and liquidate the Company).

neopole
08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
i wonder if nzo is now on the cards?

GTM 3442
13-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Good Doggie ! ! !

13-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Another meaningless stock exchange statement. Has ACC increased or decreased their holdings?

GPG
13/08/2008
SSHO

REL: 0833 HRS Guinness Peat Group Plc

SSHO: GPG: Notification of Major Interest in Shares

Guinness Peat Group plc

Notification of Major Interest in Shares

Guinness Peat Group plc ("the Company") announces that it has been informed
by Accident Compensation Corporation ("ACC") of New Zealand that ACC has a
beneficial interest in 44,099,515 ordinary shares in the Company, which
equates to 3.11% of the Company's total voting rights.

Richard Russell
Company Secretary
Guinness Peat Group plc
Tel: +44 20 7484 3370

BRICKS
13-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Well someone has to Buy the shares and in NZ not much choice on the NZX so they only trust Mr B and have 3.11% the information is give in the manner the way they do things in UK that's why its so hard to get a handle on GPG in 3 to 4 Currency`s several Exchanges and reports in UK..

As to the Japs paying so much more for a company beats me and that is the reason GPG is not stating the profit figure as they where carrying very large LOSS on the holding..

The share price is still to high as not much has happened to there other 41 INVESTMENTS..

BRICKS
14-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Bricks. Your post is fascinating, because almost every point is confused. I’ve responded but feel it may be a deeper problem.

[Um, no they don’t, hence why volume of shares traded in a company varies from day to day. ]

Never said ACC where the only share buyers and day to T/o is not the SUBJECT..

[ While I suppose it’s true that the NZX doesn’t provide much choice (these things are relative), it’s simply wrong to suggest that the ACC doesn’t have what’s necessary to invest in elsewhere? If you look to ACC’s portfolio, you’ll see they’re quite capable of calling a broker and asking him to buy stock offshore. ]

Get it NZX is small full stop.. and to yap on about ACC and brokers , offshore.. ??

[Deducing, too, that they only trust Mr B because of a lack of choice is also wrong because they’ve been buying other NZX shares recently, such as Infratil. ]

INFRATIL only was connected to the AIA deal.. nothing to do with GPG..

manner they do things in the UK. The City is known to have the simplest exchange rules of any region.]

UK is the worst went it comes for information..

[Um, they may think it’s a good business investment. ]

Like to see you pay 30% over to BUY any stock..

[The reason they haven’t booked any profit is because the sale and purchase agreement has contingent components that require Foreign Investment Review Board and Australian Prudential Regulation Authority approval, as they said in the annoucement. ]

IF it was good for them they would be yelling very loud..

[Well, for one, CSR has risen to $2.47 since you observantly said CSR is dragging down GPG since 30/06/2008 CSR was $2.41 today $1.98 down approx 18% so now loosing capital loss of $78.22 million. If you thought this was material then, why don’t you now?]

The CSR deal is still bad now down $40 million Australian

[I see the TAL sale and ACC's new interest as big positives. ACC tends to buy large holdings, so there's a good chance the buy-side will continue to be strong.]

DO they keep up the good work..

Contrarian
26-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Gidday
GPG result this week.

One day they will announce a sale,float of Coats & the share price will shoot to well north of $2, IMHO

PS. I put up a thread yesterday asking if anyone else was having difficulty with Direct Broking website, One guy replied he was, before the thread was pulled by BIG BROTHER, they don't want their dirty laundry washed in public!,

I thought it was placed under NZX as relevant, No biggie, lucky the market was quiet & I had the asb as back up.

minimoke
26-08-2008, 05:50 PM
PS. I put up a thread yesterday asking if anyone else was having difficulty with Direct Broking website, One guy replied he was, before the thread was pulled by BIG BROTHER, they don't want their dirty laundry washed in public!,
I think you will find it in the "Off Market" section!

27-08-2008, 09:11 AM
GPG half year is out.

I like this comment.

There is
also a "deferred tax adjustment" of GBP 22 million which is purely IFRS
nonsense and can be safely disregarded as a legitimate inclusion in any
proper analysis of the result.

jdg
27-08-2008, 10:45 AM
without doubt, GPG have the best no-nonsense reporting style around. i really like their style. coats has kept me away for a while, but it's still one i keep an eye on.

-j

Lizard
27-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Good old NZX missed the critical last paragraph off the Chairman's statement in their release...

OUTLOOK

The Board is working towards a substantial release of value to shareholders in 2010 which will coincide with GPG’s 20th anniversary and my own retirement as Chairman of the company.

Contrarian
27-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Gidday
NXZ have c r a p announcement presentation.

They
set things
out
this

Check out the incomprehensible Coats release.

How hard would it be to do nice clear pdf reports like the ASX do? every thing in nice columns,

BRICKS
27-08-2008, 11:04 AM
IN a few words 20 Million LOSS & a 22 Million Tax Bill.. GREAT..

Lizard
27-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Agree about the layout (use stocknessmonster or Direct Broking which are better than NZX web-site), but am pretty horrified that they decided to skip printing the second page of the chairman's letter which contains very significant information!

Contrarian
27-08-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.gpgplc.com/news/asx.aspx

For the best layout

Toddy
27-08-2008, 12:38 PM
without doubt, GPG have the best no-nonsense reporting style around. i really like their style. coats has kept me away for a while, but it's still one i keep an eye on.

-j

Accounting standards enforced market value write downs.
Sir Ron quiting.
Substantial 2010 return of equity......... translation............. target date to have Coats sold and money in the bank.

No-nonsense. Only if you can read between the lines.

Crypto Crude
27-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Toddy,
I agree... winding down of the business, and distributing assets (cash) to shareholders...
:cool:
.^sc

Lizard
27-08-2008, 01:23 PM
So, to make up for leaving it off the market announcement, the NZX have published it as news (http://www.nzx.com/news/4670675). :rolleyes:

Jay
27-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Investor Alert – “SELL” Guinness Peat Group (GPG)

http://res.smtp4.mailprimer.com/70/mpi1.gifhttp://res.smtp4.mailprimer.com/70/mpi11.gifhttp://res.smtp4.mailprimer.com/70/mpi11.gifhttp://res.smtp4.mailprimer.com/70/mpi11.gifhttp://res.smtp4.mailprimer.com/70/mpi11.gif
27 August 2008

Dear Client,

Given recent news, the recommendation by IRGs Research Department is to sell Guinness Peat Group (GPG) from your portfolio.
Contact our Equity Sharebrokers on 0800 437 8489.

Equity Investment Advisers Ltd

First time I've ever got a sell alert from them in this way!
I think the current NTA is well above the share price, cannot put my finger on the value at the mo, or I might be wrong. Would depend on how much Coates is really worth?

macduffy
27-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Brokers/advisers have to drum up business any way they can, especially in a dull market. I think it would be a mistake to sell a company just because the market is down, which is essentially the reason for GPG's apparently poor result.

;)

sideline
27-08-2008, 10:02 PM
[B][COLOR=#fdfdfd][FONT=arial,verdana,trebuchet ms]

I think the current NTA is well above the share price, cannot put my finger on the value at the mo, or I might be wrong. Would depend on how much Coates is really worth?

Directbroking list the NTA as 148.59cents. Don't know how reliable that is.
If paid out in 2010 it would have to be discounted now for two years, so current value would
be lower.

Lizard
28-08-2008, 07:05 AM
NAV is given as NZ $1.71 per share in yesterday's report.

living2
28-08-2008, 07:36 AM
GPG is not done yet, Sir Ron says
4:00AM Thursday August 28, 2008
By Adam Bennett

Sir Ron intends to step down in 2010, when he will be 74.

2008 Financial Results
Kiwibank moves closer to independence
Uncertainty is hurting us, says Vector
While the future of his $4 billion investment company may now be uncertain after he announced plans to retire in 2010, Guinness Peat Group chairman Sir Ron Brierley says the company is cashed up and still looking to do deals.

Sir Ron, a towering figure in New Zealand business who cemented his reputation as a corporate raider during the 1980s, announced his retirement plan in comments accompanying GPG's half year result yesterday.

"The board is working towards a substantial release of value to shareholders in 2010 which will coincide with GPG's 20th anniversary and my own retirement as chairman of the company," he said.

He did not elaborate on how large a "substantial release" might be.

GPG specialises in buying undervalued, underperforming businesses, shaking them up, and selling them for a healthy profit. It was acquired by Sir Ron after he lost control of Brierley Investments in the early 90s and has since been managed by a small team of former Brierley Investments colleagues, including Tony Gibbs and Gary Weiss. The company, which is dual listed in the UK and New Zealand, was originally intended to have a limited lifespan.

"If one had said at the outset it would go on for 20 years, that would have seemed unlikely at the time," Sir Ron, who will turn 74 in 2010, told the Business Herald yesterday.

Two decades was "a pretty reasonable cycle for any company, particularly one like GPG with such a small team at the top".

While yesterday's result was, according to Sir Ron, "rather poor" GPG has grown considerably over its lifetime and its various assets, including stakes in Tower New Zealand and 100 per cent of huge multinational thread maker Coats, were recently valued at $4 billion.

Sir Ron yesterday said his company had a "strong, conservatively presented balance sheet and good liquidity". That had been further bolstered by the sale of GPG's stake in Tower Australia which the Business Herald understands netted the company a £150 million profit.

All up the company was sitting on cash of about $1 billion not including various bank facilities.

Meanwhile, the company's shares have for some time traded at a sizeable discount to their net asset value.

"I reckon over the next two years we can enhance the present value quite considerably and that's what we'll be trying to do. It just seems a natural period of time and sensible to indicate where we are going and I think that's something shareholders have been looking for as well."

There had been no decision as yet on how capital will be returned to shareholders or even whether GPG would continue in its present form beyond 2010.

"That's up to my colleagues. I assume they will want to carry on in some form. Whether they want to do so in the traditional GPG way or in new entities or whatever, I just don't know. I don't think they do either."

One local analyst said yesterdays' statement was the first time GPG had signalled a capital return to investors but that did not necessarily mean the gap between the company's share price and its net asset value would close any time soon.

"Because it's still quite a way off and probably includes a period of some uncertainty around some of its other investments it may take some time. But it helps give people a time frame over which they can invest in GPG and expect a return."

GPG yesterday reported a £41 million loss for the June half against a £92 million profit a year earlier.

The company gained £15 million from "normal trading sources and sales of shares" but suffered share portfolio writedowns of £35 million. On top of that the numbers included a £22 million "deferred tax adjustment" which Sir Ron said was "purely IFRS nonsense and can be safely disregarded as a legitimate inclusion in any proper analysis of the result".

Coats, which makes up almost 40 per cent of GPG's assets, had a mixed half-year with its core industrial threads division performing well despite softer conditions in the apparel market. Coats' net profit for the June half was US$4.4 million, down from US$24.7 million a year ago.

Sir Ron yesterday singled out Australian aluminium company Capral as "an instance of arguably misplaced investment judgment".

Earlier this week Capral reported a A$12.1 million half year loss, compared to a A$19.4 million loss a year earlier.

GPG is to underwrite a A$29.2 million rights issue for the company, "in the hope/expectation that the inevitable changes in the company's trading environment are looming ever closer and our faith will be finally rewarded".

GPG shares closed 5c lower at $1.43 yesterday.

GUINNESS PEAT GROUP
Six months to June 30

Total assets
2008 - £2.14b
2007 - £2.11b

Total liabilities
2008 - £1.11b
2007 - £1.06b

Net assets
2008 - £1.03b
2007 - £1.05b

Net profit (loss)
2008 - (£41m)
2007 - £92m

Contrarian
29-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Guinness Peat Group plc

Retirement of a Director

Guinness Peat Group plc ("GPG") announces that Graeme Cureton will retire as
a director of the Company on 29 August 2008.

Commenting on Graeme's retirement, Sir Ron Brierley, GPG's Chairman, said
"Graeme has worked with me and with the GPG team for many years, since 2002
as a Director of GPG. He has also represented GPG on the Boards of several
companies in which GPG has invested. We will miss his input and would like
to take this opportunity of thanking Graeme for his valuable contribution
over the years. We wish Graeme well in his retirement."

shasta
30-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Guinness Peat Group plc

Retirement of a Director

Guinness Peat Group plc ("GPG") announces that Graeme Cureton will retire as
a director of the Company on 29 August 2008.

Commenting on Graeme's retirement, Sir Ron Brierley, GPG's Chairman, said
"Graeme has worked with me and with the GPG team for many years, since 2002
as a Director of GPG. He has also represented GPG on the Boards of several
companies in which GPG has invested. We will miss his input and would like
to take this opportunity of thanking Graeme for his valuable contribution
over the years. We wish Graeme well in his retirement."

Brian Gaynor wastes no time in putting the boot in...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10529713&pnum=0

Note, towards the end the options Gaynor suggests GPG has.

I personally would be interested in buying back into GPG, if it floated Coats & gave GPG holders an inspecie distribution.

zac
31-08-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree with Brian Gaynor's take on the GPG situation; a good analysis. What he did not mention were the implications of the CGT that shareholders are up for after the 5 year moratorium runs out.

BRICKS
31-08-2008, 11:17 AM
INVESTORS you are buying at peril, with some of the Micky Mouse companies in GPG yet to talked about and impossible to SELL off lucky if the share price would make $1.00..

whatsup
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Brinks, Good post its about time that GPG acts for all shareholders interests rather than the privilaged few,

01-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Brinks, Good post its about time that GPG acts for all shareholders interests rather than the privilaged few,

What b......t. Ron has always treated his shareholders well. The market sets the price not the company. Sure some of it's investments have not been 100% successful but no one here can claim they have had all their investments winners.

macduffy
01-09-2008, 12:10 PM
What b......t. Ron has always treated his shareholders well. The market sets the price not the company. Sure some of it's investments have not been 100% successful but no one here can claim they have had all their investments winners.

A lot of investors would agree that GPG treats its directors and managers very well, at the expense of shareholders, in awarding generous options issues without any obvious performance hurdles. The customary 1 for 10 bonus to shareholders is pointless, merely slicing up the cake into ever smaller slices.

Disc: Holding but losing interest.

:rolleyes:

GTM 3442
01-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Macduffy, the 1-for-10 bonus issue was, in effect, a tax-free dividend for all those years when the SP recovered rapidly.

And there were many of those years.

macduffy
01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Macduffy, the 1-for-10 bonus issue was, in effect, a tax-free dividend for all those years when the SP recovered rapidly.

And there were many of those years.

That's one way of looking at the phenomenon of being given what we already owned!
Of course, we'll never know what the SP would have done if there had been no bonus issues but the odds are it would be a fair bit higher than it is today.

;)

Toddy
01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
That's one way of looking at the phenomenon of being given what we already owned!
Of course, we'll never know what the SP would have done if there had been no bonus issues but the odds are it would be a fair bit higher than it is today.

;)

Shareholders have been well rewarded in the past. Isn't the current point that now times have changed substandard reporting leaves many unanswered questions and loss in faith. Hence the sliding SP.

BRICKS
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Shareholders have been well rewarded in the past. Isn't the current point that now times have changed substandard reporting leaves many unanswered questions and loss in faith. Hence the sliding SP.

THERE are BIG holes in the balance sheet now worth nothing but only just talked about
the bonus where nice while the rocket was going up but the wick has gone out,, truth
now is the buzz word Sir B is not the whiz he was times change as he said so, CHANGE..

biker
01-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Not being 100% successful is one thing but major c ock-ups like Capral are an indication that GPG may well be loosing their mojo. They will be lucky to recover even a small amount of their huge loss by 2010, if any, ever. Sure, no one can claim to have all winners but up until the last year or two we have come to expect the vast experience within GPG to do better, and the market is saying they should have.

Lizard
12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Much as I hate to talk about resource stocks, the announcement on MLX, Wingellina feasibility looks more positive than I'd expected with current costs and nickel prices. From memory, I think GPG holds a few MLX?

Casa del Energia
17-09-2008, 06:48 PM
The advice from my broker is a hold. (But then he told me oil would be $200. Crystal ball must have a crack in it).
At any rate GPG is the fastest plummeter in my portfolio - and in todays market that's dramatic.
Hurumph.

two barrels
11-10-2008, 01:27 AM
I would have thoguht a recession will bring the relative value of Coats to the fore. The higher margin craft market has to improve.
got to be a good deal at 99....no argument ;)

BRICKS
11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I would have thoguht a recession will bring the relative value of Coats to the fore. The higher margin craft market has to improve.
got to be a good deal at 99....no argument ;)

You seem to be a long way from the action if your in London, But Coats there biggest mistake is not all the story two of there companies CSR & THE SOAP Factory have dropped yet again so its back to $100 million loss position again, Buy if you want but its NO sure THING..

macduffy
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Yes, we can expect all investment companies to be showing losses in this market, particularly on listed investments which will have to be marked to market.
Doesn't necessarily make GPG a bad buy.

;)

BRICKS
12-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes, we can expect all investment companies to be showing losses in this market, particularly on listed investments which will have to be marked to market.
Doesn't necessarily make GPG a bad buy.

;)

You made that statement up of the top of you head and NO real RESERCH..

macduffy
12-10-2008, 12:18 PM
You made that statement up of the top of you head and NO real RESERCH..

Hi Bricks.
Just my opinion based on over 40 years investing in the NZ and Australian markets.
Not sure what part of it needed further research but just in case I'll add "IMO".

:)

warthog
12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Bricks.
Just my opinion based on over 40 years investing in the NZ and Australian markets.
Not sure what part of it needed further research but just in case I'll add "IMO".

:)

Welcome Macduffy to the exclusive club of posters here who have been SAVAGED by the highly ELOQUENT and ERUDITE BRICKS ... who never POSTS anything without intensive, impartial and referenced research first, with appropriate qualifications, and not a correctly-capitalised word or proper sentence construction to be seen!

macduffy
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi warthog.

I'm honoured to join the fraternity. Is there a secret handshake?

;)

Lizard
28-10-2008, 10:08 PM
It appears this company is going bust.

Glad I don't own.

Cujodog? :rolleyes:

BRICKS
29-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Based on a very low shareprice alone?

But I do - and in ever increasing amounts ...

BUT you will need it BEL ,, But you have THE HOG with you to hinder , best to ALL..

whatsup
30-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I seem to remember some where that GPG had $100 mill on deposit waiting for "bargans" to fall its way!!!!!!!!!!!