PDA

View Full Version : FA VERSUS TA CHALLENGE MATCH

duncan macgregor
02-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Why not have a challenge match for the year starting and finishing in 2005. The ideal match, the champions from either side, would be SNOOPY the warren Burret style investor, against PHEADRUS the man with the brilliant charts. That really would be the ideal matchup. Think what we all might learn from that. Each to start the year with $100000 on paper, brokers fees to be deducted,tax taken out, and to make it interesting allowed to lever at the going rates.
The only rules are, to report in within 3 days of buying or selling.
Reasons you bought or sold if you have time. I can see a few systems being changed if that matchup takes place. To show that macdunk is not a mean old Scotty he will donate a christmas ham to the winner for xmas 2005.
PHEADRUS AND SNOOPY if unwilling might like to select a champion to play the game on their behalf.
I hope that the negative people will keep clear this will teach lots of us things that that we are completely unaware of.
HERES HOPING MACDUNK

Runswifscissors
04-12-2004, 09:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan macgregor

Why not have a challenge match for the year starting and finishing in 2005. The ideal match, the champions from either side, would be SNOOPY the warren Burret style investor, against PHEADRUS the man with the brilliant charts. That really would be the ideal matchup. Think what we all might learn from that. Each to start the year with $100000 on paper, brokers fees to be deducted,tax taken out, and to make it interesting allowed to lever at the going rates.
The only rules are, to report in within 3 days of buying or selling.
Reasons you bought or sold if you have time. I can see a few systems being changed if that matchup takes place. To show that macdunk is not a mean old Scotty he will donate a christmas ham to the winner for xmas 2005.
PHEADRUS AND SNOOPY if unwilling might like to select a champion to play the game on their behalf.
I hope that the negative people will keep clear this will teach lots of us things that that we are completely unaware of.
HERES HOPING MACDUNK

The problem with this idea from a Buffet style perspecticve is that a year is too short a period of time to evaluate its effectiveness. If you are buying a stock which you can hope to hold up to forever, one year is much to short a period to evaluate how well you've done.

duncan macgregor
07-12-2004, 01:57 PM
RUNWIFSCISSORS, It is a bit dissapointing that it it appears to have fizzled out. So many people could have learned so much from a contest like that, with two opposites going toe to toe.
I would disagee that a fundamental investor cant foot it over 12 months in a fair contest. Is there a TA investor out there with a bit of guts willing to show a FA investor their system is crap in comparison. I definately dont want an FA investor bleating on that a year is to short. The real reason I made the post is, that I devised my own system between the two, and finding out the extremities enabled me to whip the ass of the market, useing both.
macdunk

Placebo
07-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Duncan: You seem under the impression that we all consider life as an investor/trader to be black or white. I.e. that we are all either fundamentalists or technos and never the twain shall meet. In reality, I think even the most fundamentalist fundamentalist ;) will use elements of technical analysis in their assessment. To not do so is to ignore a very useful tool. Similarly, I'm sure techies are only too aware of a company's underlying business and performance.

Possibly the reason you haven't had any bites here is because no-one is quite that polarised.

Then again, I could be wrong...

duncan macgregor
07-12-2004, 02:59 PM
PLACEBO, The reason i made the post in the first place was that i derived my system of investing from both poles. Any new investor i think having an open mind would find it a great learning experience. I know for a fact if people opened up and shared their strategies with the new investors, the market would soar.
Most people are not like the macdunks and worry about ending up with egg on their face
CHEERS MACDUNK.

Stock Man
08-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Duncan,

I dont see any point in this. As you have mentioned we all have our own individual styles. The time and effort required for a year long challenge that you have proposed is excessive. I certainly could not afford the time to complete this sort of challenge on top of other commitments.

Snoopy and Phaedrus have contributed immensly to this forum, and many have learnt from their posts.

Perhaps you could take your TA style and challenge a FA.... or vice versa[?]

Longtack
21-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Duncan - what's your FA/TA hybrid style - seriously? I want to know.

duncan macgregor
21-12-2004, 12:18 PM
LONGTACK, Very simple to explain no big deal. I divide the market into sectors and select the best two companies in each section and rule the rest out. I then decide what section of the market will go up and what will go down or sideways. I take into account what news is forth coming in each of the companies as that is what drives the sp up and down. That is all basic fundamental analysis and i go to extreme lengths to find things out [visit the site etc]. If The sector, and the company is right, with good news in the pipe line, i buy with a half stake, with a strict stop loss. When it proves it was a wise choice i buy the other half stake, and will do it again if it continues to trend. Selling is done strictly with TA. What i think i ignore, and let my predetermined stop loss take me out, or if i see a better opportunity i will sell half, to fund the new buy. I find i buy a share long before a TA person, and get out of it long before a FA person, with most of my shares held medium to long term, with only a few quick buys and sells. macdunk

kittydashwood
24-01-2005, 07:53 PM
But MACD no mention of tealadies and truckdrivers!! What happened? [V]

duncan macgregor
25-01-2005, 04:52 PM
KITTY, Want the truth ask at the bottom, they dont tell lies they are not paid enough. The top dog will lie cheat and steal to hold his position. If they have a knighthood remember all the hoods of the past in our market, and beware.
cheers macdunk