PDA

View Full Version : U3O8 Uranium.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

stolwyk
05-04-2007, 01:49 PM
The tender results comprising small quantities of U would have been executed last night.

However, it may take a few days? to get the U price.

U companies are rising so they may think it may be close to $100, perhaps over it.

Gerry

Torrero
05-04-2007, 02:35 PM
for spec picks, WMT has good management, does the consensus feel that this and this fact alone is worthy on investment in a startup of is speculation of this degree warrant another term much more serious as speculation in this market seems to provide nothin but winners, IMO as this has happened to I

stolwyk
07-04-2007, 08:20 PM
SPOT: US$113 (UP $18!!!)

http://www.stockinterview.com/News/04072007/Uranium-Price-Over-Hundred.html

tricha
08-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Yep its a no brainer Stolwyk.

Worth its weight in Gold, Actually I beg to disagree on that one.

Worth its weight in oil, yes peak oil and the only way out is U :)

Spent this weekend going over U options and come up with another no brainer.

I guess I will need to purchase some on Tuesday to let the cat of the bag [8][8][8]

Cheers [B)][}:)]

denpal
08-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Tricha,

Likewise I have been looking at some high growth potential plays. We are spoilt for choice that's for sure! Just look at how MTN has quadupled over the last few months - this was one I overlooked yet I knew all about it from when it was 68c! I was loading up on ones like ARU for the NPU spinoff and CUX which has done very well anyway from avge 21c>62c with more to come. I guess you can't be everywhere.

I have concluded that it is best for the pure specs to spread funds around quite a few selected hopefully "quality" plays to increase the chance of a big strike as well as aggressively load up on multiple HINs for all IPOs, plus follow the free options 3 months after listing plays closely, eg NTU. This in addition to the core long-term holds, eg for me ARU, CMR and some base metals developers like ALB, TRO, TRF.

Skol
08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by stolwyk

I predicted $100 in 2007-See below; but since that bad Cameco news came through, I want to upgrade that prediction to $115.

Note that my previous prediction (Made on 11 May 2006 and to last till May 11, 2007) was conservative:

Posted - 27/09/2006 : 5:11:49 PM

1. PREDICTION OF U PRICES.

COMMENT: Refer to my post of 18 June:
"That is very low. Price on 11 May (see this thread) was already $42 and I pointed out that one can expect some additional $26 in the next 12 months to bring a total of US$68/lb".

Comment: We need to get $68 on 11 May 2007. It is now $54.00. I need another $14 to bring the price up to $68.

Sofar, 139 days have lapsed since 11 May and we gained $12. Till 11 May 2007, we could get: 365/139*$12=$31.51.

Add that to the original $42=$73.51, say US$73.50 instead of $68 predicted; so we are well on the way.

Based on $73.50, that would be an increase of 75% in one year!

However, we'll stick to $68 in the meantime. Am expecting say $100 in the year thereafter".

__________________________________________________ ____

Gerry
Readers, please do your own research and you decide if and when to buy, hold or sell any stocks or metals/commodities.

If the above (113) is correct you might have to re-estimate again Stolwyk

shane_m
08-04-2007, 01:14 PM
great article in easter AFR on uranium, predicting US$135.

I hold UKL since 70c and NRU on some insider info about the upcoming uranium ann.

stolwyk
10-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Yes, the demand for these small parcels is very strong.

My forecast for 2007 is $175-$200. This is not an advice.

Subject to audit.

Gerry
Readers, please do your own research and you decide if and when to buy, hold or sell any stocks or metals/commodities.

Torrero
10-04-2007, 11:39 AM
http://www.uranium.info/

U @ $113 spot

stolwyk
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
WILL THE U PRICE RISE MUCH MORE IN 2007?

I believe so due to the following factors:
1. The well known problems of Cameco and ERA. This slack can't be taken up quickly because Cameco was promising to be a large producer.
2. Global warming calls for more nuclear facilities; substitutes, although wellcome, don't give a reliable baseload of energy.
3. There are no reasonable mines coming on stream apart from those already known and are producing. Those earmarked for production are in the main small producers and few will come in production in 2007.
4. One producing country, Russia, wants to keep U for itself and won't be exporting apart from an arrangement it has with the US re enriched supply from old warheads. There is some argument about pricing and normally this trade would stop in 2012. I can see it being terminated earlier.
5. The demand for U will be underestimated due to the panic caused by the talk about global warming. It is conceivable that trade restrictions may finally be put in place in the case of countries who ignore protocols designed to cut back on pollution.
6. Before any call for finance can be made by private interests building nuclear plants, banks tend to insist that U be bought ahead of building these facilities.
7. Some countries may supply false forecasts of needed nuclear facilities so as not to encourage U price rises.
8. Navies are being modernized and that requires Uranium; China is doing just that.
9. As U prices rise, U may be hoarded; also, ETFs are already in place and this alone will attract more investors as U prices rise. More ETFs are likely to be created. Storage of needed U is being done by larger producers. ETFs will contribute a lot to price rises as U is being locked up.
10. There are no futures or derivatives, so lower prices by shorting using a lot of paper, is not possible.
11. Small quantities of U are being auctioned and it is not too difficult to obtain much higher spot prices at every such auction. Those waiting for lower prices, will need to make a decision sometime, as the waiting list becomes longer. This alone promotes higher pricing although it may become more erratic once the price is much higher. It remains a seller's market in 2007, IMHO.
12. The cost of U as a percentage of overall cost incurred building a nuclear facility is still relatively low.

Summarizing, these and perhaps other reasons are good enough to certify higher U prices in 2007 and $175-$200 is possible this year, IMHO.

The above is not advice but is an opinion, only.

Gerry

tricha
11-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Excellent summary Gerry! " $175-$200 is possible this year"

Greed is in, Uranium Mania! It's in every paper and all the share Chat sites are feverish.

Global warming, peak oil.

We have to have U and lots of it.

1 bagger, 10 baggers, 100 baggers, 1000 baggers (Paladin is on its way)

Have U got your U yet [?][?][?][?][?]

SEC
11-04-2007, 01:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by tricha

1 bagger, 10 baggers, 100 baggers, 1000 baggers (Paladin is on its way)

Paladin is already a 1000+ bagger, it languished at 1c 4 years ago. Unbelievable. However I've not heard of anyone who bought PDN in April 2003 and still hold.

SEC

stolwyk
11-04-2007, 01:30 AM
An interesting situation: Both supplier of U and his counterpart are standing with their pants down: the user wanted the stuff yesterday and the supplier has'nt got the mine running yet.

Add to that the ETFs who are in a hurry to buy and may need to go higher as well as are other speculating funds.

An explosive co-cktail such as never seen before and this can't be compared with the techboom.

Something needs to give and I can only smell higher prices, particularly as there are no derivatives or cartels.

The first succesful buyer in the next spot auction may well be happy that he forced the issue, at least he will be home, perhaps for the time being.

Meanwhile, those who have longterm contracts are heavy gainers or losers, depending on who are buyers or sellers.

That is my opinion,

Gerry

Skol
11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by tricha

Yep its a no brainer Stolwyk.

Worth its weight in Gold, Actually I beg to disagree on that one.

Worth its weight in oil, yes peak oil and the only way out is U :)

Spent this weekend going over U options and come up with another no brainer.

I guess I will need to purchase some on Tuesday to let the cat of the bag [8][8][8]

Cheers [B)][}:)]

We're all waiting with bated breath Tricha.

IcedPaladin
11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Stolwyk A recent posting of yours suggested that given the political situation in Queensland and
the Rudd Howard battle.
You gave me the impression you were about to bail or had already bailed.
I will do some more research re your postings.
Where are you sitting?

stolwyk
11-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Uranium Skyrockets to $113/lb on Supply Shortfall

By Jon A. Nones
10 Apr 2007 at 08:20 PM GMT-04:00

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=30754

"Uranium at “$200/lb is not unrealistic,” said Doug Casey, chairman of Casey Research, presenter of the Summit. The price has risen about 15-fold since 2001".

Comment: Casey then agrees with my guided forecast of $175-$200/lb.

Gerry

steve fleming
11-04-2007, 10:49 PM

WILL THE U PRICE RISE MUCH MORE IN 2007?

I believe so due to the following factors:
1. The well known problems of Cameco and ERA. This slack can't be taken up quickly because Cameco was promising to be a large producer.
2. Global warming calls for more nuclear facilities; substitutes, although wellcome, don't give a reliable baseload of energy.
3. There are no reasonable mines coming on stream apart from those already known and are producing. Those earmarked for production are in the main small producers and few will come in production in 2007.
4. One producing country, Russia, wants to keep U for itself and won't be exporting apart from an arrangement it has with the US re enriched supply from old warheads. There is some argument about pricing and normally this trade would stop in 2012. I can see it being terminated earlier.
5. The demand for U will be underestimated due to the panic caused by the talk about global warming. It is conceivable that trade restrictions may finally be put in place in the case of countries who ignore protocols designed to cut back on pollution.
6. Before any call for finance can be made by private interests building nuclear plants, banks tend to insist that U be bought ahead of building these facilities.
7. Some countries may supply false forecasts of needed nuclear facilities so as not to encourage U price rises.
8. Navies are being modernized and that requires Uranium; China is doing just that.
9. As U prices rise, U may be hoarded; also, ETFs are already in place and this alone will attract more investors as U prices rise. More ETFs are likely to be created. Storage of needed U is being done by larger producers. ETFs will contribute a lot to price rises as U is being locked up.
10. There are no futures or derivatives, so lower prices by shorting using a lot of paper, is not possible.
11. Small quantities of U are being auctioned and it is not too difficult to obtain much higher spot prices at every such auction. Those waiting for lower prices, will need to make a decision sometime, as the waiting list becomes longer. This alone promotes higher pricing although it may become more erratic once the price is much higher. It remains a seller's market in 2007, IMHO.
12. The cost of U as a percentage of overall cost incurred building a nuclear facility is still relatively low.
Summarizing, these and perhaps other reasons are good enough to certify higher U prices in 2007 and $175-$200 is possible this year, IMHO.

The above is not advice but is an opinion, only.

Gerry

Great post Gerry.

Are you perhaps able to expand on point 12 - How U fits into the cost structure of operating a plant?

Cheers

stolwyk
12-04-2007, 10:51 AM
The Economics of Nuclear Power
Briefing Paper 8
February 2007

http://www.uic.com.au/nip08.htm

Anyway, the problem is that Uranium is being locked up by producing and consuming countries, so it becomes the lack of U which is paramount:

Lack Of Fuel May Limit U.S. Nuclear Power Expansion
4/10/2007
Limited supplies of fuel for nuclear power plants may thwart the renewed and growing interest in nuclear energy in the United States and other nations, says an MIT expert on the industry.

Over the past 20 years, safety concerns dampened all aspects of development of nuclear energy: No new reactors were ordered and there was investment neither in new uranium mines nor in building facilities to produce fuel for existing reactors. Instead, the industry lived off commercial and government inventories, which are now nearly gone. Worldwide, uranium production meets only about 65 percent of current reactor requirements.

That shortage of uranium and of processing facilities worldwide leaves a gap between the potential increase in demand for nuclear energy and the ability to supply fuel for it, said Thomas Neff, a research affiliate at MIT's Center for International Studies.

"Just as large numbers of new reactors are being planned, we are only starting to emerge from 20 years of underinvestment in the production capacity for the nuclear fuel to operate them. There has been a nuclear industry myopia; they didn't take a long-term view," Neff said. For example, only a few years ago uranium inventories were being sold at $10 per pound; the current price is $85 per pound.

Neff has been giving a series of talks at industry meetings and investment conferences around the world about the nature of the fuel supply problem and its implications for the so-called "nuclear renaissance," pointing out both the sharply rising cost of nuclear fuel and the lack of capacity to produce it.

Currently, much of the uranium used by the United States is coming from mines in such countries as Australia, Canada, Namibia and, most recently, Kazakhstan. Small amounts are mined in the western United States, but the United States is largely reliant on overseas supplies. The United States also relies on Russia for half its fuel, under a "swords to ploughshares" deal that Neff originated in 1991. This deal is converting about 20,000 Russian nuclear weapons to fuel for U.S. nuclear power plants, but it ends in 2013, leaving a substantial supply gap for the United States.

Further, China, India and even Russia have plans for massive deployments of nuclear power and are trying to lock up supplies from countries on which the United States has traditionally relied. As a result, the United States could be the "last one to buy, and it could pay the highest prices, if it can get uranium at all," Neff said. "The take-home message is that if we're going to increase use of nuclear power, we need massive new investments in capacity to mine uranium and facilities to process it."

Mined uranium comes in several forms, or isotopes. For starting a nuclear chain reaction in a reactor, the only important isotope is uranium-235, which accounts for just seven out of 1,000 atoms in the mined product. To fuel a nuclear reactor, the concentration of uranium-235 has to be increased to 40 to 50 out of 1,000 atoms. This is done by separating isotopes in an enrichment plant to achieve the higher concentration.

As Neff points out, reactor operators could increase the amount of fuel made from a given amount of natural uranium by buying more enrichment services to recover more uranium-235 atoms. Current enrichment capacity is enough to recover only about four out of seven uranium-235 atoms. Limited uranium supplies could be stretched if industry could recover five or six of these atoms, but there is not enough processing capacity worldwide to do so.

SOURCE: Massachusetts Institute of Technology

http://www.poweronline.com/content/news/article.asp?docid=%7B1F60A953-5C3E-4A9F-8803-7F963278080D%7D&VNETCOOKIE=NO

easy money
12-04-2007, 09:57 PM
US$113....PANIC BUYING.

stolwyk
16-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Desperately Seeking 500,000 Pounds Uranium:

http://www.stockinterview.com/News/04152007/Uranium-Market-Stunned.html

stolwyk
16-04-2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=aHi8FJVRnxtg&refer=australia

Energy Resources Says Uranium Output Declines 28% (Update1)

By Tan Hwee Ann

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- Energy Resources of Australia Ltd., which produces more than a 10th of the world's uranium supply, said production of the fuel fell 28 percent in the first quarter from a year ago, due to heavy rain.

Output of uranium dropped to 1,006 tons for the three months ended March 31, Darwin-based Energy Resources said today in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange.

Energy Resources, controlled by Rio Tinto Group, last month said it may miss some deliveries after heavy rain temporarily halted production and said first-quarter output may fall as much as 30 percent. Uranium prices have more than doubled in the past year on rising demand from power utilities and a delay in building a mine in Canada.

``The elevated water level in the mine will restrict access to ore in the second half of 2007 and into 2008,'' the company said in the statement. The company had on April 2 said 2007 production will match 2006, and fall between 25 percent and 35 percent in 2006.

The company drilled for more uranium to the east of its current pit, inside a road leading to the mine, it said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tan Hwee Ann in Melbourne at hatan@bloomberg.net ;

Last Updated: April 15, 2007 18:55 EDT

tricha
16-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I got this as an email today, not that I am interested in the offer, but some of the info is good.

cheers [}:)]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]A WORD OF CAUTION:

You're about to peek inside the most elite inner circle for the hottest commodity on the planet. As you might expect, the information below is highly sensitive - both in time and content.

Therefore, I ask as a professional courtesy that you keep this information to yourself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Reader:

As I write this, it's 4 A.M. I'm on my third pot of coffee at the office. And I just hope I get this to you on time.

Wait. Let me back up.

I was at our office in Mount Vernon earlier this afternoon, finishing up Wealth Daily, and was about to lock up when the phone rang.

As it was, I was already late to meet my family for grilled kabobs to christen our new deck and watch the Orioles game before it started raining.

But in spite of my better instincts, I answered it anyway.

Before I could even get the phone to my ear, I heard the excited voice of Greg McCoach. He was calling from his hotel room after speaking at an investment conference in Canada. And from his first words, I was hooked.

Not that I was surprised. When Greg's passionate about something, you can't help but feel his enthusiasm.

At first, I thought he was going to get me psyched about his newest blockbuster mining play. Instead, what he shared with me had my ear glued to the phone. And as I'll show you in a minute, the information could make an exclusive group of investors like you an absolute fortune.

You see, over the past year, Greg has rapidly become what you might call uranium's ultimate insider.

How connected is he?

Just imagine for a moment...

It's your job to analyze and talk with each one of the more than 600 "uranium" companies.

You go over everything - from mine status to production capabilities. You know what's going on even when they have nothing to report. You even speak with uranium's price-setting auctioneers.

Most importantly, you know which companies have nothing more than moose pasture and which ones have potential to skyrocket.

In uranium's 1,030% bull market, investing in the right companies could safely make you an absolute fortune.

Well...from the moment he wakes up until he goes to sleep, knowledge of the uranium industry has become Greg's biggest stock in trade.

He doesn't just read about companies. He gets his hands dirty.

Someone like Greg has to. He's completely obsessed with the "other" yellow metal.

In fact, over the past 17 months, he's spent a small fortune traveling around North America, visiting mines, speaking with CEOs and geologists, studying volumes of materials and rubbing elbows with the top people in the industry.

His research has earned him the reputation of an expert and brought several big gain-hungry investors knocking at his door.

But while his Mining Speculator is knocking recommendations out of the ball park, Greg phoned in to tell me he has something much more profitable.

He explained that after exploring virtually every uranium company, he just finished a report that details nine hand-picked companies that are about to experience some massive gains.

And you'd never guess which ones.

Continue...

Now, before I go any further, I need to make something crystal clear. It's the key to making a massive fortune in the uranium market.

You see, uranium's not traded like other commodities.

There are no formal markets for uranium. There isn't a uranium trading pit at the New York Mercantile Exchange. And you can't buy it as bullion.

The reason for this is simple - Uranium is a heavily regulated market. Every pound must be registered, tracked, and a

aussie joe
16-04-2007, 11:38 PM
If you pay me $5,000 I will tell you of another 9 companies that will be the real thing. Read the disclaimer. Financial advise is not gauranteed.

Say your money and do your own research.

Pounds in ground vs market cap.

;)

Ricardo
17-04-2007, 08:49 AM
1000 seats at $5000 pa equals $5 million. After deducting expenses, still not bad money.
Are there 1000 people out there that will pay that much?

If the list of 9 hot picks are virtually guaranteed to make you rich, wouldn't it be just a little tempting to pay the first quarterly installment, get the list of 9, pay no more, and to hell with getting any annual updates.

stolwyk
17-04-2007, 03:04 PM
This thread was not designed to receive direct and long adverts from financial letter writers; indeed, sites tend to delete these.

Gerry

stolwyk
17-04-2007, 03:08 PM
NYMEX Partners with Ux Consulting to Offer Uranium Futures Contracts
http://www.uraniumseek.com/news/UraniumSeek/1176758264.php

Extract:
"New York, NY, April 16, 2007 -- The New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc., a subsidiary of NYMEX Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:NMX), the world’s largest physical commodity exchange, today signed a 10-year agreement with the Ux Consulting Company, LLC (UxC), the global uranium pricing index and information leader, to introduce on and off-exchange traded uranium futures products on the CME Globex® and NYMEX ClearPort® electronic platforms on May 6 for trade date May 7".

Mick100
17-04-2007, 04:01 PM

NYMEX Partners with Ux Consulting to Offer Uranium Futures Contracts
http://www.uraniumseek.com/news/UraniumSeek/1176758264.php

Extract:
"New York, NY, April 16, 2007 -- The New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc., a subsidiary of NYMEX Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:NMX), the world’s largest physical commodity exchange, today signed a 10-year agreement with the Ux Consulting Company, LLC (UxC), the global uranium pricing index and information leader, to introduce on and off-exchange traded uranium futures products on the CME Globex® and NYMEX ClearPort® electronic platforms on May 6 for trade date May 7".

Thanks Gerry

I'll be following that up

Mick100
18-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Uranium Bull Market Too Overheated?

By Jon A. Nones
12 Apr 2007 at 01:08 PM GMT-04:00

LAS VEGAS (ResourceInvestor.com) -- Doug Casey, chairman of Casey Research, told listeners at the Uranium Stock Summit that there are three stages of a bull market: Stealth mode, worry mode and mania mode. He said the uranium bull market is entering the mania mode.

Although the bull cycle is nearing and end, Casey said a lot of money can still be made. He said that mania stage in the dotcom era lasted about 2 to 3 years, and some of the best profits came out of it.

Rick Rule of Global Resource Investments today told listeners that we are already in the midst of a uranium mania, “an insane mania.” He recommended selling.

Casey introduced Rule as one who perpetually sells early. Rule agreed.

“I always buy too early, I always sell too early,” he said. “My yearly return is 60%, so I’m going to continue to sell early.”

Rule began his presentation saying “the thrill is gone; the easy money has been made.” He preached minimizing risks as opposed to maximizing reward giving three serious risk factors in the market today:

At 113/lb, the price of uranium does not have to go up for miners to make it worthwhile.
Only 20-40 management teams survived the 20-year bear market in the industry, which leaves about 550 uranium companies searching for expertise.
Most of the companies don’t have any uranium, perhaps only in the company name, and therefore the spot price is irrelevant.
“What’s free in the uranium market today?” Rule asked. “Nothing.”

Rule used an analogy of betting on horse races. He said when a person places a bet on a horse, he or she is betting on the horse to win, show or place. Too many uranium companies today are merely threatening. Only 10% will win, place or show and 50% won’t finish the race at all, he said.

“We have two choices in this market, we can be contrarians or we can be victims,” he added. “Every great party leaves a vicious hangover, so why not stock a little Alka-Seltzer.”

He said every investor should have two exit strategies in mind:

What’s the exit strategy of the company? Are they looking to be bought out or eventually to produce?
What’s your exit strategy? Why do you own the stock?
“Make the money, take the money,” he said.

In a discussion panel, Jim Mustard of Haywood Securities, Kevin Bambrough of Sprott Asset Management and Dave Forest of Casey Energy Confidential all concurred that taking some profits is never a bad idea.

Mustard said investors should keep an eye on the psychology of the market and spot prices for indications of overheating.

“Don’t be afraid to sell,” he told listeners. “I do not see dark clouds on the horizon” in the commodities bull market, he said, but investors should cut back on the “pages of investments” on occasion to concentrate on the quality plays.

Mustard added that the market still has a long way to go, but “I don’t think we’re going to see this kind of growth” in the next five years.

Bambrough said Sprott has already exited Cameco [NYSE:CCJ; TSX:CCO], Paladin [TSX:PDN] and SXR Uranium One [TSX:SXR] because “everyone is looking at these companies.” He said uranium prices will top out in the next 12-18 months.

Forest told investors to take profits on market hype minus fundamentals.

“We are late in the cycle,” he said. “We’ve gone from homeruns of 10-baggers to doubles and triples.”

He recommended closely watching other commodity markets as precious and base metal price fluctuations can affect the uranium market.

“Don’t rely on the rising tide to lift all boats,” he said. “Keep in mind that things turn quickly.”

Although the easy money has been made, analysts all agreed that there are still investment opportunities available in the industry.

Investor’s just need to be “very selective,” Rule concluded.

Check back here soon for top stock picks from Rick Rule, Jim Mustard, Kevin Bambrough, Phil O’Neill of MP1 Capital and Marin Katusa of Casey Research.

trader10
22-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Nice article on Weekend FIN REVIEW page 44.....showing some of the uranium players that have the real immediate potentia on the market....... most of course are from South Australia ! :) ;):D

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/5016/p4211090wm3.jpg

trader10
22-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Rudd pushes uranium bosses' agenda

Zoe Kenny
21 April 2007

It now appears certain that the ALP’s national conference, to be held in Sydney from April 27-29, will drop the party’s “no new uranium mines” policy, adopted in 1998. This will satisfy the big mining companies’ desire to expand uranium mining. Labor leader Kevin Rudd and his “left-wing” deputy, Julia Gillard, are leading the push to scrap the policy.

A decision to scrap the current policy would fly in the face of public opinion — a May 2006 Newspoll showed that 66% of Australians, and 78% of ALP voters, are opposed to any new uranium mines or want uranium mining to stop altogether.

But with the market price for uranium at record highs, major mining companies are falling over themselves to make big profits from Australia’s vast, low-cost uranium deposits — 40% of the world’s total. Labor’s uranium push is driven by its need to prove itself a loyal servant to the interests of big business in order to get corporate backing in this year’s federal election.

The widely expected latest Labor “U-turn" on uranium will not be as big a betrayal of ALP voters’ wishes as its backflip in the early 1980s.

A year after winning the 1983 federal election, Labor’s parliamentary caucus forced the dropping of party’s position of outright opposition to the mining, processing and export of uranium — a policy Labor had held for seven years and which was a major contributing factor to its March 1983 election victory. In its place, the “three mines” policy was adopted. This allowed the continued operation of the Ranger, Nabarlek and Olympic Dam uranium mines.

Although uranium had been mined in Australia since the start of the 20th century, opposition to it did not become popular until the 1970s. The impetus for a mass movement against uranium mining was a new wave of uranium exploration and prospecting that began in 1967.

Some of the biggest uranium deposits were discovered in the Alligator Rivers area in the Northern Territory, in particular the Ranger and Jabiluka deposits. As more uranium was discovered in the region, the projected boundaries for the proposed Kakadu National Park continued to shrink until the park was half its original proposed size.

However, unlike earlier uranium mining pushes, this time the desire of mining companies to fully exploit the resources was met with a growing awareness of, and opposition to, the dangers of uranium mining. The experience of the Rum Jungle mine in NT contributed to this opposition.

During its lifetime, from the early 1950s to the early ’70s, this mine discharged hundreds of tonnes of mineral pollutants into the Finniss River, including enough radium to cause 90 million cases of bone cancer, according to a 1975 report by the Australian Atomic Energy Commission.

Trade unions were also increasingly concerned about the health effects on their members working in or around uranium mines. Since the early ’20s it was known that radon gas caused high levels of mortality from lung cancer among mine workers.

Between the mid-’70s and the mid-’80s, a mass movement developed that mobilised hundreds of thousands of people against uranium mining. This movement was given considerable support by the trade unions as well as the rank-and-file members of the ALP.

The anti-uranium movement was strengthened by the lessons gained by many left activists in the successful mass campaign against the Vietnam War. The anti-war movement had shown them the power of repeated mass street demonstrations around clear demands to draw large numbers of working people into extra-parliamentary political action, exerting growing political pressure for a change in government policy.

In 1976, the Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF), Friends of the Earth and the Movement Against Uranium Mining (MAUM) declared that they would mount a campaign as big as that waged against that Vietnam War, with the campaign as a whole deciding in November to demand a five-year moratorium on the mining and export of uranium.

Th

shasta
22-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Interesting U308 article on how old nuclear weapons are being used to fill the gap in supply & mostly ex Russia.

There is huge potential for "U308" companies to get involved with the disposal of nuclear waste, & Uran (ASX: URA) is in negotiations with several former soviet countries, about being involved in Uranium projects & handling waste etc.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/19/markets/uranium/

What's behind the red-hot uranium boom
Supply crunch, demand from nuclear power plants push metal prices higher; NYMEX getting in on the action.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Uranium is hot, and it's not just because of its protons and neutrons.

Two years ago the metal, used mostly to power nuclear reactors, traded around $20 a pound, according to the research firm Ux Consulting Co., which tracks uranium prices in the market by surveying buyers and sellers each week.

Last week prices hit $113 a pound and the pace of increase isn't slowing but rather accelerating. Last week's prices were up 19 percent jump from the prior week - the biggest weekly gain since Ux began tracking prices back in 1968.

"You haven't had a down week since 2003," said Christopher Ruppel, a senior geopolitical analyst with the energy consulting firm John S. Herold.

The runup is due partly to basic economics.

While demand for the metal has been steady, it's expected to surge as a host of new nuclear plants come online in coming years. And supplies are running short, thanks to severe flooding at two of the world's biggest mines and a dwindling amount of element number 92 that can be salvaged from old nuclear warheads.

And, oh yeah, speculators, did we mention them? There's been a fair amount of interest from hedge funds, according to Ruppel, who said the funds have exploited legal channels, once used only by utilities and suppliers, to win ownership rights to uranium stored in repositories in North America and Europe.

Until now, investors interested in the uranium boom were limited to buying a handful of funds in Canada and England that purchase the metal, or buying stock in outfits that mine uranium such as Australia's Rio Tinto (Charts) or Canada's Cameco (Charts).

But on Monday the New York Mercantile Exchange said it would begin offering a uranium futures contract. The contract, for 250 pounds of the metal, begins trading May 7, and will be available via the electronic trading platforms in most brokerages.

A NYMEX spokeswoman said there are no current plans to offer a half-sized contract similar to the half-sized crude oil contract targeted to retail investors.

For users of uranium, like utilities, trading on the NYMEX is probably good news.

"Trying to figure out uranium supply and demand is a black box," said Peter Tertzakian, chief energy economist at ARC Financial, a private equity firm based in Calgary, Alberta.

Tertzakian said public trading of the metal should result in more public interest, which should spark more research into the market and a greater degree of clarity in how prices are set.

"There's only one (group tracking) prices in what has become a multi-billion dollar market," he said.

A renewed interest in nuclear power, sparked by global warming fears and surging electricity use in the developing world, is the main driver behind the expected boost in demand.

Worldwide, there are 28 new nuclear reactors being built, 64 on the drawing boards and another 158 proposed, according to John S. Herold's Ruppel. If all those reactors get built, it would mean 57 percent more reactors from the 435 in operation.

Factor in supplies that aren't growing, but actually declining, partly due to flooding at two of the world's largest mines. Last October workers at Canada's Cigar Lake mine, half owned by Cameco, mistakenly hit water, flooding the mine. Ruppel said production at the unfinished mine will now be delayed another two years and won't come online until 2010.

And heavy rains this spring flooded a big mine owned by Energy Resources of Australia that could result in a production los

trendy
23-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Actually there isn't a shortage of uranium at all in the US. The problem is most of it is locked up as spent fuel in dry casks at power stations all across the country. You see the US doesn't allow reprocessing as do France and other countries to extract out the plutonium (for weapons) and the other fissionable products that can be used to make more and "cleaner burning" nuke fuel. Once the shortage/price is acute enough and the nuke industry starts lobbying in Washington, then reprocessing will be allowed again.

Torrero
23-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Labor to dump uranium policy: Evans

Sydney Morning Herald
April 23, 2007 - 1:32PM

Federal Labor resources spokesman Chris Evans says he expects Labor will overturn its 25-year opposition to new Australian uranium mines.

Mr Evans says he will support Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd's plan to dump the ALP's uranium policy at the party's national conference which starts on Friday in Sydney.

"The current Labor Party policy has failed," Mr Evans told reporters in Perth today.

"During the life of the policy uranium mining has trebled, three new mines have opened and we are about to become the largest uranium miner in the world.

"I think there is a mood for a change in the Labor Party ... we have been debating it for 30 years ... the policy hasn't worked."

The party might be divided on uranium policy but it was united in support for strengthening international nuclear safeguards, he said.

"We are very worried about (Prime Minister John) Howard's plans to sell uranium to India, outside the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, but my expectation is that the conference will change the policy.

"I have been wrong before but am hopeful that we will change the policy."

AAP

tricha
28-04-2007, 01:56 AM
And U is worth more than its weight than Gold[}:)]

Myra Saefong's Commodities Corner
Uranium's set to make waves in futures
New York Mercantile Exchange, Ux Consulting to launch uranium futures
By Myra P. Saefong, MarketWatch
Last Update: 7:27 AM ET Apr 27, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- It's hard to ignore any commodity that's seen a more than 1,000% price climb over the course of five years, especially one that's about to be traded on a futures exchange for its first time ever.
Weekly spot prices for uranium stood at $113 a pound on April 23 -- that's an 11-fold increase from the $5 price it cost in 2002, according to data from Ux Consulting Co., LLC. See the Web site for the latest price.
It's no wonder that the uranium industry and potential investors are all abuzz following an agreement between Ux Consulting and the New York Mercantile Exchange, a unit of Nymex Holdings (NMX : nymex holdings inc com
News , chart , profile , more
Last: 130.00+0.99+0.77%

9:31am 04/27/2007

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
NMX130.00, +0.99, +0.8%) , announced last week to introduce on- and off-exchange traded uranium futures products on May 6.
"The fact is, there's a need for a uranium futures market," said Sean Brodrick, a contributing editor to MoneyandMarkets.com, who has often written about the uranium rally. Read his related Internet blogs.
"The way things are now, most uranium is sold under long-term contract and some is sold under short-term contract," he said. "But liquidity can just dry up [and] it's hard for utilities to make plans if they don't know what the real price of uranium is."
"It's about giving transparency to a very illiquid market," said Kevin Bambrough, a market strategist at Sprott Asset Management.
'Since we are moving off the age of oil and into a nuclear era, it's about time we had some liquidity in the uranium market and some visibility into pricing in outer months.'
— Kevin Bambrough, Sprott Asset Management
And Nymex has "correctly identified that the nuclear power industry is undergoing a renaissance with tremendous growth ahead, as the world struggles to deal with strong emerging market and Asian growth, while facing the reality of peak oil and an energy-constrained world," he said.
Sprott predicts that "the combination of high energy prices, pollution and global warming will compel the world to attempt to build as many nuclear reactors as possible going forward," said Bambrough.
"You can say what you want about nuclear power but you're if worried about global warming, one of the ways to deal with that is nuclear power," said Phil Flynn, a senior analyst at Alaron Trading.
"Since we are moving off the age of oil and into a nuclear era, it's about time we had some liquidity in the uranium market and some visibility into pricing in outer months," said Bambrough.
Limits to the trade
The lack of a public-trading platform for uranium as a commodity had been a key complaint of prospective investors. Read a related archived story.
"Nymex uranium futures will now make speculating in uranium fast and efficient," said Scott Wright, an analyst at financial-services company Zeal LLC. And "the price of uranium could really jump from today's levels with this new flow of capital."
The uranium futures products will be introduced next month on the CME Globex and Nymex ClearPort electronic platforms, Nymex and Ux Consulting said in a joint press release.
They will be financially-settled contracts and there are no restrictions related to that, according to Randolf Warsager, vice president of marketing at Nymex.
Traders won't take possession of the commodity, but they can take title of it and get some exposure to its price, he explained.
That separation from the physical market could end up being one of its biggest flaws.
Gene C

tricha
28-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Got your U, be carefull, compare apple and oranges, there is a difference [:p]

That could take time. "When uranium futures start trading in May, they will probably be as liquid as granite -- much like natural-gas futures were when they started out," said MoneyandMarkets.com's Brodrick.
"But once some volume picks up, we might be surprised who gets involved -- certainly utilities, hedge funds and professional traders," he said.
And with the Nymex doing this, "I wouldn't be surprised to see other exchanges do the same thing, much as gold and silver [exchange-traded funds] are now offered around the world," he said.
Benefits for a changing climate
At the moment, more than 500 companies claim to be exploring for uranium, developing one or more uranium projects or producing uranium, according to online news service StockInterview.com.
And the current offering of uranium-mining stocks presents investors with "a large menu for their portfolios," said James Finch, a senior editor at StockInterview.com.
But as 2010 approaches, 90% of those companies will have changed their name and/or moved into something new, so less than 25 uranium companies will likely become new miners by 2011, according to Finch.
That could "hurt investors who are unfamiliar with the nuances of uranium stocks and new to this sector," he said.
StockInterview.com conducted a uranium-investor survey of a small, random portion of its subscribers.
The survey found that the company's subscribers expect the major beneficiaries of the uranium-futures contracts to be the current uranium miners and the near-term producers, said Finch.
"We expect very little futures trading from the retail investor. The strong interest in futures will come from speculative funds, hedge funds, some utilities and funds holding physical uranium," said Finch.
And "the climate will change with the arrival of many hedge funds," which will likely employ multiple strategies using Nymex futures contracts, he said.
Because of the limited number of current and near-term producers, "we expect more liquidity and volatility in producers such as Cameco (CCJ : Cameco Corporation
Last: 45.22-0.12-0.26%

9:39am 04/27/2007

Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
CCJ45.22, -0.12, -0.3%) , Denison (DNN : denison mines corp com
Last: 12.17+0.01+0.08%

9:38am 04/27/2007

Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
DNN12.17, +0.01, +0.1%) , Uranium Resources (URRE : uranium res inc com par $0.001
Last: 9.87-0.14-1.40%

9:43am 04/27/2007

Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
URRE9.87, -0.14, -1.4%) and Uranium One (CA:SXR: news, chart, profile) , and in near-term producers such as Energy Metals (EMU : energy metals corp com
Last: 13.25+0.06+0.45%

9:39am 04/27/2007

Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
EMU13.25, +0.06, +0.5%) , Uranerz Energy (URZ : uranerz energy corporation com
Last: 6.93+0.03+0.43%

9:38am 04/27/2007

Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
URZ6.93, +0.03, +0.4%) and Strathmore Minerals (CA:STM: news, chart, profile) ," he said.
Sink or swim?
So what's the reaction of the investment community?
Out of 364 responses to the StockInterview.com survey, more than 97% said they were currently investing in uranium-mining stocks, but the majority said they had no plans over the next 12 months to trade the new physical uranium-futures contracts.
Only 6.9% said they plan to trade the contracts in the next year, and almost 30% provided a "maybe" response.
Out of 359 responses, 83.8% said "yes" when asked if the futures contracts will attract more interest in uranium, while

etrader
28-04-2007, 12:11 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pm-sets-nation-on-nuclear-path/2007/04/27/1177459984311.html

Update on uranium conference

shasta
28-04-2007, 05:08 PM
http://www.acnnewswire.net/press/en/36266/Australasian-Investment-Review.html

Uranium's Big Weekend
Australasian Investment Review

Sydney, Apr 27, 2007 (ACN Newswire) - The Australian uranium industry might be about to join the rest of the resources sector in having a free hand to explore, mine and sell its core mineral if this weekend's Federal ALP conference votes to lift the party's bans on any more than three mines.

That's looking increasingly likely with the left wing of the party conceding it doesn't have the numbers to keep the three mine policy in place.

The stockmarket is certainly reflecting that confidence with the prices of actual and wannabe miners firming, new floats doing well and a general air of optimism.

A vote to lift the policy and perhaps replace it with a more liberal regime, but one not as unfettered as that from the Howard Government, should not be discounted.

After all it is the Labor Party, and faction deals and backroom arm twisting is a fact of life.

There are three operating uranium mines in Australia, Ranger in the Northern Territory, Olympic Dam and Beverley in South Australia while a fourth mine is cleared to start construction: Honeymoon, in South Australia once the ALP policy changes (hence the eagerness of the SA Premier, Mike Rann to have the policy changed).

There are at least 25 other identified deposits and probably as many more possible deposits being investigated. None come anywhere near the size of Olympic Dam which has the largest reserves of uranium in the world and would be the biggest mine in the world if the BHP Billiton expansion plan gets the go ahead.

Olympic Dam has a total resource of 1.6 million tines of uranium oxide, much of it low grade but which would be mined with copper, gold and sliver which means lower the production costs.

World uranium prices are currently around $US113 /lb according to US company UxC whose pricing information is now accepted around the world.

That is about to be turned into the most significant market move for the metal in years: early next month a futures market will start trading in New York which will be based on the UXC price and be financially deliverable, allowing producers, consumers and others to use the contract (see below for more details).

That new contract is due to start trading Monday week on Nymex (where oil is traded in New York)

That will provide a more transparent and liquid pricing mechanism for everyone including the ALP.

Key left-winger Anthony Albanese, has been quoted this week as saying his faction could only muster 180 of the 397 delegates scheduled to attend the conference which starts today.

The left faction will have about 177 delegates at the conference, enough to cause some controversy on industrial relations and perhaps environmental policies but not enough to stop the uranium mining policy from changing.

Leading left members including Martin Ferguson, Julia Gillard and Chris Evans, will vote against their faction to abolish the policy and support Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd.

The Labor Premiers of Queensland and Western Australia have said they will not allow uranium mining in their states if the policy is abolished but Mr Beattie has had several changes of heart on this issue and faced with pro-mining South Australia getting a couple of new projects, will quickly fold, as will the embattled WA Premier who may not be around at the end of the year.

Olympic Dam (BHP Billiton) will be the immediate beneficiary of any policy change by the ALP because it plans an enormous ramp of production if the $6 billion expansion of the massive mineral deposit in South Australia.

A vote to lift all bans will remove a small niggle in some people's minds: that the size of the expansion at Olympic Dam might frighten anti-uranium supporters inside the ALP, especially if it manages to win Government at the Federal poll later this year.

ERA is already hunting for uranium outside of Ranger in the Northern Territory, in parts of South Australia, because it decided a new m

leonchai
28-04-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.skynews.com.au/story.asp?id=166555

ALP votes for uranium!!

etrader
28-04-2007, 08:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by leonchai

http://www.skynews.com.au/story.asp?id=166555

ALP votes for uranium!!

In terms of where to from here, does that indicate if Labor win the next election that the Uranium ban will be lifted, where to short term does that put John Howard, will they put an instant lift to it to try and win votes. Would appreciate an update of what investors understand what is the next move now that the vote has been won.

STRAT
28-04-2007, 08:17 PM
By Gemma Daley

April 28 (Bloomberg) -- Queensland state Premier Peter Beattie said Australia's main opposition Labor Party would drop its 25-year-old opposition to new uranium mines, paving the way for industry expansion.

Leader Kevin Rudd today asked Labor's annual conference in Sydney to overturn the ban, to allow the uranium industry to develop ``under the most stringent conditions.'' Those include ensuring worker safety, exporting only to nations that have signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty and strengthening powers of the International Atomic Energy Agency. Nuclear protesters dressed in gas masks blocked the entrance of the convention center in Darling Harbor to oppose the move.

``I am fairly confident there will be a change in policy,'' Beattie said in an interview on the sidelines of the three-day conference. ``But the Western Australian premier and I have made it quite clear we want the policy to stay exactly as it is.''

Mining rights are administered regionally in Australia, which has about 40 percent of the world's known uranium. Labor runs all eight Australian territories and states.

Summit Resources Ltd. and Paladin Resources Ltd. want to develop their Valhalla uranium deposit near Mount Isa in Queensland state. The state has about 14 percent of the nation's known deposits, according to Australia's Uranium Information Center.

Party Resistance

Rudd, 49, faces resistance from anti-nuclear forces within Labor who pledge to continue the existing policy, which contributed to a 174 percent increase in the price of uranium in the past year. Today's motion said every state and territory would have the right to assess, and reject if it chooses, each nuclear energy project.

``I recognize the rights of states and territories in terms of each proposal put before them,'' Rudd said.

Nuclear energy and climate change have become a central issue as Australia heads to a national election this year. Labor has led opinion polls since Rudd was elected leader on Dec. 4.

Prime Minister John Howard today announced measures to help develop a nuclear industry in Australia.

Howard, 67, said he would draft new rules that would govern the building and operation of nuclear reactors. The government will research skills and training needed to serve the industry, and it will launch a campaign to address public concerns about nuclear energy, he said in Melbourne, according to a speech e- mailed to Bloomberg News.

`Back on the Agenda'

``Uranium is well and truly back on the agenda. Around the world, people are talking about nuclear stations,'' Leigh Clifford, chief executive officer of Rio Tinto Group, told reporters in Perth yesterday. ``Rio Tinto Group, the world's second largest producer of uranium, is in an excellent position to significantly expand our capacity and its something we're looking pretty actively at the moment.''

The uranium price reached a record $113 a pound on increased demand and production delays at existing mines.

The price has soared as utilities and nations turn to nuclear energy to meet rising power demand, and on concern that coal- and oil-fired plants are raising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, contributing to global warming.

Without a broad sanction at the Labor Party conference, new projects may be restricted to South Australia, where Premier Mike Rann favors new mines, and the country's Northern Territory, where decisions on new pits will be taken by Howard's Liberal National coalition in the federal government.

Uranium Mines

Australia has three operating uranium mines: Energy Resources of Australia Ltd.'s Ranger mine in the Northern Territory, BHP Billiton Ltd.'s Olympic Dam mine and Heathgate Resources' Beverley mine in South Australia. A fourth, SXR Uranium One Inc.'s Honeymoon mine in the state, is due to start up within 12 months.

Rudd also faces opposition from Peter Garrett, former Midnight Oil musician and the party's environment and climate change spokesman, who says there are still risks over the dispos

stolwyk
28-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Rann is all out to extend U mining in his SA State and it is beyond doubt that SA and its U miners are clear winners.

I expect these U companies to appreciate in price now the issue has been settled. Some investors may now favour U companies in NT and SA.

As Uranium will be held back by the WA and Qland Govts, one can expect U prices to firm up. No doubt, producers and consumers have been waiting on the outcome of the voting.

If the LAP wins the election then there will be quite some time before their policy is changed.

I doubt if Howard will overturn the stance adopted by the non-mining states.

Gerry

pago
29-04-2007, 08:40 PM
hi gerry,it seems the sa ur stocks will gain the most from the alp policy change.i dont think i will join the rush on monday but will be interested to see prices,ags/$2.55.pnn$2.65.cuy$2.63.hav$2.27 and others.i will see whats been overlooked and over cooked.interesting to see where these s.p are on monday.cheers pago.

stolwyk
03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
NYMEX TO START TRADING ON MAY 6-7

http://www.cme.com/trading/dta/dist/22152.html

Uranium Futures: Uranium

Trading Unit: 250 pounds of U308

Price Quotation: U.S. dollars and cents per pound

Minimum Price Fluctuation: $0.05

Trading Hours: The contracts are available for trading on the CME Globex® and NYMEX ClearPort® electronic trading systems from 6:00 PM Sundays through 5:15 PM Fridays, Eastern Time, with a 45-minute break each day between 5:15 PM and 6:00 PM.

Trading Months: 36 consecutive months

Last Day of Trading

Settlement: Financial, based on the spot month-end U3O8 price published by Ux Consulting Company, LLC.

Margin Requirements: Margins are required for open futures positions.

Trading Symbol: UX

stolwyk
05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Australia to supply uranium to Asia

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Asian_Economy/IE05Dk02.html

stolwyk
05-05-2007, 07:50 PM
$120:

http://www.stockinterview.com/News/05052007/Record-Uranium-Spot-Price.html?section=news&action=detail&id=66356

stolwyk
06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
nymex uranium futures survey results
http://www.stockinterview.com/News/04272007/NYMEX-Uranium-Futures-Survey.html

RPT-Banks, funds seen first in NYMEX uranium trade
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com: 20070504:MTFH02318_2007-05-04_15-29-40_N03361869&type=comktNews&rpc=44

Seti
08-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Nymex June uranium futures - $140 (http://www.nymex.com/UX_cso.aspx)

stolwyk
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
One can't predict prices of Futures too far ahead if the spot prices are far and few between.

There was a Jan 2008 future price of $150. Regardless of it being or not being a manipulated price, it is useless to even refer to it.

On the first day of futures trading at an assumed spot price of $120, the end June futures stood at $135. That is a $15 rise only for about 7 weeks and I thought it was somewhat low considering the few small previous sales of U at rapidly increasing prices.

And so it was, with the latest end June futures at $143, which I think is achievable.

I don't know the latest spot sales, however, it is clear to me that one should'nt take any immediate notice of futures which are more than 2 months away (Sometimes less than that), while spot sales are sporadic.

It seems therefore that the instigation of Futures by NYMEX has not rattled the physical seller. On the other hand, the physical buyer will need to conform with higher prices to come IMHO. Hopefully, they may come to that conclusion.

Gerry

stolwyk
15-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Protection of resources has now extended to Uranium.
Russia who uses state companies to achieve its aim -as does China- is setting up a Uranium Corporation while South Africa is complaining that too much U could be leaving its shores while they need it themselves.

So, it is clear, that strategic stock piles will be built in various countries with the result that the non producing country will need to pay while this resource is being locked up:

http://www.upi.com/Energy/Briefing/2007/05/08/us_uranium_sales_down_as_price_soars/

Both Russia and China subsidize their state run companies which therefore are in a prime position to acquire companies if they are allowed to by other countries.

Uranium now joins Oil and Nickel as scarce and strategic resources and the competition for these commodities is increasing.

Gerry

stolwyk
27-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Rio Tinto predicts uranium boom
Bill Condie, Evening Standard
22 May 2007

London-listed mining giant Rio Tinto today predicted a boom in uranium sales, with record prices having no effect on demand.

With global warming increasing the appeal of nuclear power, and uranium prices surging, the company wants to double production by 2010 and triple that to about 20,000 tonnes a year by 2020.
Chief financial officer Guy Elliott said uranium offered one of the company's most exciting immediate growth stories.

'Short-term market movements can open opportunities which may not be enduring but which offer substantial value as long as you are able to capture them,' he told an investor seminar in London. 'Rising long-term price trends also increase options.'

Rio energy chief executive Preston Chiaro said record uranium prices of $122 (£61.90) a pound havenot curbed demand because the cost of uranium is a relatively small portion of the operating costs of nuclear power plants compared with coal-fired and gas-fired plants.

Chiaro added that the uranium market is unlikely to return to surplus until BHP Billiton's expansion of Olympic Dam production to 15,000 tonnes a year from 4500 tonnes is completed in the middle of the next decade.

Rio plans to extend the life of its Rossing mine in Namibia and Ranger mine in Australia's Northern Territory. It hopes to move to underground mining at Ranger to extend its life past the current projection of 2011.

It is also in discussions with local people in an attempt to gain permission to develop the controversial Jabiluka deposit, which has been on hold following protests in Australia.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing-and-markets/article.html?in_article_id=420595&in_page_id=3

Comment: It appears that the Jabiluka deposit won't be mined for the time being.

stolwyk
27-05-2007, 11:01 AM
China’s Battle for African Uranium

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/25306.html

COMMENT: It is clear that Uranium is being locked up

Sharp737
28-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Good article Gerry.
This would or could mean that China is looking at PDN, DYL?
What other uranium companies are in Nambia I wonder?

Sharp

aussie joe
29-05-2007, 12:21 AM
check out

wme, bmn & ext

stolwyk
03-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Uranium: $138/lb:

http://stockinterview.com/News/06022007/Uranium-Auctions-Higher-Price.html

Too much U wanted > Little being offered.

And my prediction was for $175-$200 for 31 Dec!

clearasmud
30-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Lastest uranium report
Clearasmud.

http://www.rcresearch.com.au/j07/Overview_and_Investment_Comment_June_2007.pdf

stolwyk
14-07-2007, 08:32 AM
July 13, 2007
Cameco delay means uranium supply shortfalls until 2011
Publisher: U3O8.biz
Author: Luke Brocki

http://www.u3o8.biz/s/MarketCommentary.asp?ReportID=197112&_Type=Market-Commentary&_Title=Cameco-delay-means-uranium-supply-shortfalls-until-2011

stolwyk
21-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Some Amazing Facts about Nuclear Power
August 2002 -- The American public has been led to believe that nuclear power is extremely dangerous and that nuclear waste disposal is an unsolved problem. Those beliefs are based on preposterous distortions perpetrated by irrational environmentalists and an irresponsible mass media. In reality, a reactor meltdown would have to occur every two weeks to make nuclear power as deadly as the routine emissions from coal-fired power, from which we get about half of our electric power in the United States. (Note: some newer nuclear power plant designs cannot possibly meltdown.) And if the United States went completely nuclear for all its electric power for 10,000 years, the amount of land needed for waste disposal would be about what is needed for the coal ash that is currently generated every two weeks.

Anti-nuclear activists like to scare us with horror stories about the "thousands of tons of nuclear waste" that have been produced since nuclear power began some four decades ago. That sounds like a lot -- until you put it into perspective, which anti-nuclear activists and the mass media never do. Consider that one pound of plutonium can produce as much energy as the Yankee Stadium full of coal. And coal-fired power generates something like 100 million tons of waste annually in the United States, or about three tons of ash per second. Every few hours, more coal ash is generated than high-level nuclear waste has been generated in four decades!

Oh, but nuclear waste is far more dangerous than coal waste, isn't it? Actually, it isn't. For a given amount of energy produced, coal ash is actually more radioactive than nuclear waste. How can that be? Simple. The quantity of coal ash is literally millions of times greater than the corresponding quantity of nuclear waste, so even though the radioactive intensity of the coal ash is much less, the overall amount of radiation and radioactive matter is greater.

But nobody worries much about the radioactivity of coal ash because the chemicals in it are far more dangerous. They include several thousand tons per year of mercury and other heavy metals, along with huge amounts of lead, ****nic, and asbestos, for example. Yet even the huge quantities of chemical waste in coal ash are of little concern compared to the gaseous emissions from burning coal, which kill an estimated 10,000 to 50,000 Americans every year, depending on which study you believe. As a point of reference, even the lower estimate approaches the rate at which Americans died in the Viet Nam war, and the higher estimate greatly exceeds it, yet the media rarely report on those deaths.

So let's get this straight. For a given amount of energy produced, coal waste has more radioactive matter than nuclear waste, yet the radioactivity of coal waste is nowhere near as dangerous as the solid chemical waste, which in turn is nowhere near as dangerous as the gaseous emissions. Are you starting to get the picture yet?

But even those staggering figures fail to capture the major environmental advantages of nuclear power over coal-fired power. Why? Because the solid and gaseous emissions from coal burning are generated in such a huge quantity that they cannot possibly be contained. They can only be spewed into the atmosphere and dumped into shallow landfills. There is no conceivable way to isolate waste that is generated at the rate of three tons per second. Nuclear waste, on the other hand, is so miniscule in comparison that it can be almost completely isolated from the environment at a very modest cost. And even though that cost has been greatly inflated by the anti-nuclear hysteria, it is still very managable.

If all the high-level nuclear waste that has ever been generated were simply dumped into the middle of the ocean, it would be many thousands of times less harmful than the coal waste generated over the same period. But the nuclear waste is so miniscule in quantity that it can be isolated almost completely from the environment. In fact, that is exactly what is being done all o

stolwyk
21-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Cameco Suspends Operations for 2 Months at Plant After Leak

By The Canadian Press
20 Jul 2007 at 05:41 PM GMT-04:00

SASKATOON (CP) -- Canadian uranium producer Cameco announced today that it has suspended its operations at a processing plant in Port Hope, Ontario, after it discovered uranium and chemicals in soil at the facility. Uranium producer Cameco Corp. [NYSE:CCJ; TSX:CCO] has suspended operations at a processing plant in Port Hope, Ont., after uranium and chemicals were found in soil at the facility.

''The chemicals are in a contained area, so public health and worker safety are not affected,'' the Saskatoon-based company said Friday in a statement.

Cameco, which is the world's biggest uranium producer, said it discovered the contamination when it was excavating within the building for the installation of new equipment.

The plant handles uranium hexafluoride, a chemical form of uranium used during its enrichment process.

The company said the plant will be shut down for at least two months but no layoffs are planned. There are approximately 420 employees at the Port Hope conversion facility.

Further investigation to determine the source of the chemicals and the area affected are ongoing.

''Cameco and third-party experts are investigating to determine the source of the chemicals,'' the company said.

''In addition, holes are being drilled around the area and the soil and ground water are being tested to ascertain the area affected. All regulatory authorities have been notified.''

Due to the nature of the soil at the plant, Cameco said it expects the ground water flow rate to average 40 to 60 metres a year.

Since the perimeter of the plant is about 70 metres from the edge of the property, Cameco said it feels it has ample time to contain and mitigate the affected area, the company said in a statement.

Samples taken in April from wells in the area were not contaminated, and the company has arranged for additional samples to be taken.

Uranium dioxide conversion and other activities at the site are not affected.

Cameco will provide a revised production forecast in its second quarter report. Cost estimates of the leak are not available at this time.

Shares in the company closed down 43 cents at C$49.32 in Friday trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange. They were halted briefly after the close.

The company's stock has been under pressure in recent months after it reported flooding at the Saskatchewan Cigar Lake project, which has delayed its planned production startup to 2011.

It also reported Thursday that Toronto-based subsidiary Centerra Gold Inc. [TSX:CG] has lowered its 2007 gold production estimates for the Kumtor mine in the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan by one-third of the previous level.

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=34083

stolwyk
17-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Uranium and Oil

Comment:

Both are needed and complement each other: Uranium can take on the base loads while oil drives a host of activities, one is transport, be it by plane, ship or car.

Suggesting that ethanol will reduce the demand for oil overlooks the fact that it has'nt got the power of petrol. As more is produced, the discovery of meaningful oilfields becomes less and less while current inventory numbers are highly suspect, considering that the big fields have seen the best and are producing less.

But investors are often tuned to the moment and the seemingly endless supply of oil. They won't act unless with their backs against the wall.

The same applies to Uranium as well, IMHO. Reference was made to the 'important' coming up sale of some 200 tonnes by the US Government. That amounts to only 440,000 lbs within a total demand of some 160 mill lbs.

I do believe that before long the current peace re pricing of oil will undergo a change with more sudden reports indicating the unique scarcity of this resource to come. This means that countries will take the weight off oil whenever possible by planning more nuclear power plants.

It already is an urgent matter as it takes at least some 5 years to build a large scale plant but less for a plant which is not necessaily stationary.

Therefore, I don't take too much notice of claims that Uranium prices will move below $100, after all, it will take a number of years to bring plants into production or projects to be mined.

I do believe that *judicial* longer term investments in Oil and Uranium will pay.

Gerry

ScrappyO
21-09-2007, 10:05 PM
U308 down to $85....might see it drop further, since breaking the $90 mark. Interesting to see if it does.

ScrappyO
05-10-2007, 11:45 AM
U308 Down again $75

Heavy Metal
05-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Uranium: $138/lb:

http://stockinterview.com/News/06022007/Uranium-Auctions-Higher-Price.html

Too much U wanted > Little being offered.

And my prediction was for $175-$200 for 31 Dec!

That prediction looks really far fetched now eh?

Too many people were far too optimistic about where the U price would end up. The U spot market is very illiquid market and prone to wild price swings in both directions. Clearly too expensive at $138, it has probably retraced to below fair value but there's probably further to fall - would be cheap at $55 - $60.

jdg
12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
has anybody got references to articles on the current uranium market? after an incredible drive up, the price of U is just as quickly coming back down. just looking for reasons and forecasts. if anybody has a good link or two, i'd appreciate it.
thanks in advance.
-j

jdg
12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
after just posting the above, i began a search of my own. first up, i came across this. a source of many answers. hope it proves useful to others.

http://www.uraniumminer.net/market_price.htm

-j

tricha
05-11-2007, 12:36 AM
:rolleyes:China to increase nuclear power capacityLast Updated(Beijing Time):2007-11-04 10:30.h1 { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-JUSTIFY: inter-ideograph; FONT-SIZE: 22pt; MARGIN: 17pt 0cm 16.5pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 240%; TEXT-ALIGN: justify}.h2 { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-JUSTIFY: inter-ideograph; FONT-SIZE: 16pt; MARGIN: 13pt 0cm; LINE-HEIGHT: 173%; TEXT-ALIGN: justify}.h3 { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; TEXT-JUSTIFY: inter-ideograph; FONT-SIZE: 16pt; MARGIN: 13pt 0cm; LINE-HEIGHT: 173%; TEXT-ALIGN: justify}DIV.union { FONT-SIZE: 14px; LINE-HEIGHT: 18px}DIV.union TD { FONT-SIZE: 14px; LINE-HEIGHT: 18px}http://en.ce.cn/Industries/Energy&Mining/200711/04/W020071104379440125933.jpg (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20071103/00096bb163c30896841c13.jpg)

The Tianwan Nuclear Power Station, located in east China's Jiangsu Province, is a nuclear power station with the largest single-unit capacity in China.

[File photo]

The State Council has officially approved a plan to expand nuclear power generation capacity by 23 million kilowatts by from 2005 to 2020, according to the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC). According to the plan, submitted by NDRC, China will have an installed nuclear power capacity of 40 million kilowatts on the mainland by 2020, or four percent of the total installed power generation capacity.
New projects with a combined capacity of 23 million kilowatts will be launched, involving a total investment of 450 billion yuan (about $60 billion).
The sites for the planned capacity will be chosen from the coastal cities in Guangdong, Zhejiang, Shandong, Jiangsu, Liaoning and Fujian provinces. According to the plan, the government will consider constructing one nuclear power plant in the coastal provinces that don't have such plants.
Currently, nuclear power capacity on the mainland stood at 169.68 million kilowatts, with 11 nuclear reactors in operation boasting a combined capacity of 90.68 million kilowatts and another eight units in construction.

http://en.ce.cn/Industries/Energy&Mining/200711/04/W020071104379442751002.jpg (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-11/03/data/attachement/jpg/site1/20071103/00096bb163c3089684b31a.jpg)
The Tianwan Nuclear Power Station, located in east China's Jiangsu Province, is a nuclear power station with the largest single-unit capacity in China.

[File photo]
Source:China Daily Related articles

steve fleming
10-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately, with Gerry's passing, this thread will be much the poorer.

However, some interesting comment from DJC.

"The uranium bubble appears to have burst, with Australia's uranium stocks now 55 per cent weaker on average than all-time highs hit in April/May last year."

http://business.smh.com.au/uranium-shares-cool-off/20080110-1l7y.html

Seneca
12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
The UK Govt has confirmed all out nuclear power development with the opposition conservatives saying they will support the move - all good - though it is mentioned they may have trouble getting in the queue to have the reactors built

steve fleming
11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Unfortunately, with Gerry's passing, this thread will be much the poorer.

However, some interesting comment from DJC.

"The uranium bubble appears to have burst, with Australia's uranium stocks now 55 per cent weaker on average than all-time highs hit in April/May last year."

http://business.smh.com.au/uranium-shares-cool-off/20080110-1l7y.html

Probably an opportune time to revive Gerry's classsic thread.

After over 12 months of constant hammering, the U sector seems set for its next leg up.

Fair bit of spec money returning to the sector, especially over the last week with strong performances from BLR(+42%), UKL(+41%), PEn (+36%), UEQ (+35%) & AGS (+26%).

Courtesy Grant64, Uranium Sector was the top performer on the TSX on Friday:

09/05 uraniumFX 738.4... +38.04.. +5.4% Top Overnight Index Performer
09/05 gold......FX 1106.3. +15.84.. +1.5%
09/05 zinc......FX 586.8... +3.40... +0.6%
09/05 oil........FX 1626.5.. +3.43... +0.2%
09/05 nickel...FX 1454.6.. -5.68.... -0.4%
09/05 copper..FX 1422.1.. -6.94.... -0.5%
09/05 coal.....FX 3103.6.. -20.98... -0.7%
09/05 iron......FX 3048.8.. -131.22.. -4.1%

steve fleming
11-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Probably an opportune time to revive Gerry's classsic thread.

After over 12 months of constant hammering, the U sector seems set for its next leg up.

Fair bit of spec money returning to the sector, especially over the last week with strong performances from BLR(+42%), UKL(+41%), PEn (+36%), UEQ (+35%) & AGS (+26%).

Courtesy Grant64, Uranium Sector was the top performer on the TSX on Friday:

09/05 uraniumFX 738.4... +38.04.. +5.4% Top Overnight Index Performer
09/05 gold......FX 1106.3. +15.84.. +1.5%
09/05 zinc......FX 586.8... +3.40... +0.6%
09/05 oil........FX 1626.5.. +3.43... +0.2%
09/05 nickel...FX 1454.6.. -5.68.... -0.4%
09/05 copper..FX 1422.1.. -6.94.... -0.5%
09/05 coal.....FX 3103.6.. -20.98... -0.7%
09/05 iron......FX 3048.8.. -131.22.. -4.1%

The BEST summary and analysis of local U stocks can be found here.

http://www.blackrangeminerals.com/pdfs/AnalystReportFarEastCapitalWarwickGrigor21Apr08.pd f

Warwick Grigor's (Far East Capital) sector report.

JBmurc
11-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Analyst : Warwick Grigor is a non exe director in PEN a company I hold options in worth having a look with there SP at around 70% less than during the last U308 bull run

Peninsula Minerals Good projects in Wyoming, but securing better ground position before promotion

-If all goes to plan 8c eps cashflow would value the shares many multiples
above the current PEN 2.5c PENO 1.7c (could well be worth waiting for)

ScrappyO
26-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Looks like Uranium stocks might be ready to spring back into life.

Article.....

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/23/business/uranium.php

COLIN
26-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Looks like Uranium stocks might be ready to spring back into life.

Article.....

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/23/business/uranium.php
I have noticed the steady recovery in PDN in recent days.

lakedaemonian
27-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm wondering if some Uranium fans might be able to educate me a bit.

I've been following Uranium prices for a few years....and I reckon we've seen bottom(or near bottom) based on the following reasons:

*Massive future energy demands will strain existing and future uranium supply

*Global Warming advocates will be knowingly or unknowingly supporting a push for increased nuclear power infrastructure

*Supplies of nuclear weapons cores to be recycled for commercial power use are finite

*Massive inflation will see uranium mining costs accelerate as well as commercial nuclear power plant construction costs to accelerate as well.

*Due to a number of factors, I am thinking there is a strong possibility of a "superspike" in Uranium prices over the next 10 years or so.

These are just my personal feelings on the issue, and while I'm quite comfortable in investing in openly traded commodities such as oil, natural gas, gold, and silver...I'm a bit reluctant to jump in head first without performing sufficient due diligence.

Is it correct to say that it is impossible to purchase uranium futures contracts as a private person as I can with Oil?

That is my assumption, and assuming I am correct, does anyone know of any investments that most closely mimick Uranium prices, that remove the risk typically associated with mining companies(such as poor management and mining cost inflation risk)?

So basically, I'm a big fan of uranium at it's current price levels....I'm just a bit reluctant to place bets on uranium mining management or uranium mining cost blowouts.

If there are no investments that directly or closely mimick Uranium, what would be the Uranium equivalent of a NZ Dairy Farm :) .......where costs increase......but at a far lesser rate than underlying commodity price increases?

Not looking for anyone to do my homework for me, just looking to cut through some of the "noise".

Cheers!

Dr_Who
27-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Lake, do yu have a link to uranium prices and graphs?

I agree with you and want some exposure to uranium. Now, the hard part is to pick a few good uranium stocks to invest in.

lakedaemonian
27-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey Lake, do yu have a link to uranium prices and graphs?

I agree with you and want some exposure to uranium. Now, the hard part is to pick a few good uranium stocks to invest in.

"Spot price" <----Not sure how exactly it's calculated as I believe Uranium trades not openly but by private treaty

http://www.uxc.com/review/uxc_Prices.aspx

And here's a chart from the same site:

http://www.uxc.com/review/uxc_g_2yr-price.html

That's all I've been able to find thus far....yeah I'm thinking about investing a good bit more time in finding something that's meets my "cash-like commodity-currency" criteria...albeit with Uranium and how it seems to trade it could be high risk/VERY high reward.....which destroys it as a strong prospect for a short-to medium term cash substitute.......but it certainly seems to be making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in terms of a "invest and forget for a decade" approach......just my 0.02c

Mick100
27-06-2008, 12:00 PM
pretty sure theres a uranium ETF
I think they invest in yellow cake
That would give you direct exposure to the uranium price

steve fleming
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
pretty sure theres a uranium ETF
I think they invest in yellow cake
That would give you direct exposure to the uranium price

Another Uranium ETF to raise capital following UPC:TSX

http://www.uraniumparticipation.com/SiteResources/ViewContent.asp?DocID=3&v1ID=&RevID=114&lang=1

---------------------------------------------

Uranium quasi-ETF to raise cash for uranium
purchase: Nufcor Uranium Ltd. (NUL), managed by
London-based trading group Nufcor International (recently
acquired by US utility Constellation Energy), has filed a
prospectus for the sale of an unspecified number of new
shares – with at least 90% of the proceeds to be used “to
finance the acquisition of uranium.”

While the amount of uranium to be purchased by NUL is
still undetermined (and will largely be determined by
investor appetite), we have heard speculation that the
volume of uranium purchased may well be at least as big
as the raising completed by Uranium Participation
Corporation (UPC, the other uranium ETF) earlier this
year, which was for 900,000lbs at just over $70/lb.

steve fleming
08-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I saw an interesting report out from Macquarie this morning on the Uranium industry.

Basically they are forecasting a market deficit in FY10 (12 months time), which will drive some big gains in the spot price.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Uranium market balance to 2012
Tonnes U 2007 2008F 2009F 2010F 2011F 2012F
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']---Total Primary 41279 45352 50332 54883 59843 66409
---Other Supply 19601 19860 20279 18598 16750 16673
Total Supply 60880 65212 70610 73481 76593 83083
% Change YoY 0.0 7.1 8.3 4.1 4.2 8.5
Total Reactor
Requirements 66,145 65,685 70,256 74,145 78,635 87,496
% Change YoY 1.6 -0.7 7.0 5.5 6.1 11.3
Balance -5,265 105 354 -664 -2,042 -4,413
Balance including
08/09 ETF buying -665 -416 -664 -2,042 -4,413
Spot Price ($/lb) 99 65 60 80 90 90
Surplus/deficit
as % market -8% 0% -1% -1% -3% -5%
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Sources: Macquarie research, WNA, UxC, July 2008

Short-term outlook for spot price and market: We think Nufcor’s capital raising for the purpose of buying uranium is likely to result in some upward pressure on spot prices in the coming months, together with general coal and oil price-related investor interest in the space.

However, we are wary that reactors are generally well covered (European reactors actually built stocks in 2006/07) and that our supply/demand data (see table below) indicates that the market is likely to be roughly in balance in 2008/09, so any rally in the spot price is likely to be contained and perhaps even only temporary (unless it is driven by some unexpected supply shock).

Further out, we are confident of the market deficit in 2011/12: We have received some industry feedback suggesting our demand figures are too high. Having reviewed the situation we would re-iterate that we are comfortable with our reactor build forecasts, particularly those which impact the 2010–2012 time frame for uranium demand (ie, our assumption is that uranium for use in initial cores is ordered 3–4 years in advance of scheduled commissioning of new reactors).
----------------------------------

You can see from the market suppply info detailed above the very real correlation between market deficit and high spot prices (ie 2007) and market excess and low spot prices (2008).

There was also a feature article in the AFR today which said that "those close to the uranium sector say there is a window of between six to 12 months before a likely structural shift in pricing. It will come from the need of the reactors being planned to lock in long-term supply contracts to become viable." - which pretty much is what Macquarie's analysis is suggesting.

lakedaemonian
10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Another Uranium ETF to raise capital following UPC:TSX

http://www.uraniumparticipation.com/SiteResources/ViewContent.asp?DocID=3&v1ID=&RevID=114&lang=1

---------------------------------------------

Uranium quasi-ETF to raise cash for uranium
purchase: Nufcor Uranium Ltd. (NUL), managed by
London-based trading group Nufcor International (recently
acquired by US utility Constellation Energy), has filed a
prospectus for the sale of an unspecified number of new
shares – with at least 90% of the proceeds to be used “to
finance the acquisition of uranium.”

While the amount of uranium to be purchased by NUL is
still undetermined (and will largely be determined by
investor appetite), we have heard speculation that the
volume of uranium purchased may well be at least as big
as the raising completed by Uranium Participation
Corporation (UPC, the other uranium ETF) earlier this
year, which was for 900,000lbs at just over $70/lb.

Bullseye! I was just looking through that the other day :)

From what I can find this looks like the closest thing to an easily tradeable financial instrument that most closely mimicks the underlying Uranium commodity.

Approx 50% off of its recent year crazy high........In my amateurish opinion, I think TSE:U has somewhat limited downside potential from here, but a reasonably good chance of a 2-4x upside over the next 5+ years....plus I like the benefit of diversification into an energy rich booming Loonie.

Just my 0.02c

steve fleming
15-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Macquarie latest Uranium outlook:

The uranium spot price has increased to $63.25/lb, up $6.25/lb from its low of $57/lb last month. The move has been driven primarily by investor demand, though there have been a few small purchases by utilities. We continue to believe spot prices will be strongly supported in the short term (Nufcor raising, potential US/India deal, high coal and oil prices stoking investor interest), though fundamentally the underlying uranium market is looser than it was last year (and roughly in balance), as reflected in ceilings starting to enter into new long-term contract negotiations.

steve fleming
14-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Pretty big next week for Uranium:

􀂃"A major catalyst for a uranium spot price rally from here
is a successful US/India deal – the last main hurdle is
approval from the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), which
meet on 21 and 22 August, and if passed, the deal will
be put to the US parliament in early September. We
would expect spot prices to be strongly supported by a
completion of this deal (particularly given positive
sentiment that may be generated by the Cigar Lake
news), despite a soft supply/demand outlook in 2008/09."

India, of course, is not an NPT signatory, so if the NSG do agree to sell to India, it will set a massive precedent.

India currentlty has limited U reserves and is desperately looking to source U.

The other thing with Cigar Lake problems taking out potentially 10% of the world's U supply, really opens up a supply problem globally going forward.

Nigel
24-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Spot prices have softened but have risen from their lows and I'm now hearing a lot of talk about a pick up in 09. Most Uranium stocks have taken a pounding and there are some good bargains to be found.

ASX:UTO
If you're in the market for a good Uranium explorer, check out UTO on the ASX. Proven JORC resources, experienced management, joint venture with the world's leading Uranium producer, mining ban in WA now lifted. I can't help but see it either taking off or being bought out by Cameco (or another larger fish). UTO has drifted down from a recent range of 20-30c to less than 10c on incredibly light volumes (it had been nudging $1 in the last year or so). I've been buying more at these ridiculously low levels (market cap circa 5mil!).

Disc - I am not a financial advisor - do your own research.

Nigel
30-12-2008, 07:04 PM
For those that are interested, the stock I mentioned in my last post (UTO) has raced from 6.1c to 11.5c since posting. This is still well off where it should be. It has come down on very light volumes and now increasing again on light volumes. very little on offer for those who still want to get in. DYOR

JBmurc
07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
If you've been think about buying into a U308 explorer&production checkout this link

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4586

Mick100
21-01-2009, 01:58 PM
anyone know where I can find a long-term uranium chart

thanks

shasta
21-01-2009, 02:11 PM
anyone know where I can find a long-term uranium chart

thanks

I use this site for Uranium

http://www.uxc.com/review/uxc_prices.aspx

tobo
21-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Constant 2007 US$ vs. Current US$ Spot U3O8 Prices

ScrappyO
13-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Up another $5 today to $51. Might have to start keeping a closer eye on uranium stocks,

shasta
13-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Up another $5 today to $51. Might have to start keeping a closer eye on uranium stocks,

Just remember U308 closely followed the Oil run to over $US140bbl/lb

AGG gives you Uranium & Gold, EQN gives you copper & uranium ;)

JBmurc
13-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Keep a close eye on PEN last couple months gone from 1.5c to 4.2 today with this only the start to fair value I'll be very surprised if it not trading over 15c this time next yr

shasta
13-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Keep a close eye on PEN last couple months gone from 1.5c to 4.2 today with this only the start to fair value I'll be very surprised if it not trading over 15c this time next yr

That old chestnut, hmm being a previous holder i'll be watching it as the U price soars

ScrappyO
14-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Cheers JB will stick it on my watchlist

ScrappyO
14-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Do you have WCU on that list Scrappyo, nice bit of low volume consolidation at the moment before the next leg up hopefully.

Yeah....have a small amount at 26.5c thought about getting some more.

Seti
15-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Uranium is on the rise big time, great to see.

Short to medium term there may be some support but the Olympic Dam expansion is edging closer. I'm a little less bullish on U than I once was.

All systems go in plan to dig world's biggest hole (http://business.watoday.com.au/business/all-systems-go-in-plan-to-dig-worlds-biggest-hole-20090501-aq7f.html)

...A final investment decision would depend on prevailing economic conditions then, most notably the copper price outlook and the ability of the world's nuclear industry to soak up the huge increase in the global supply of uranium that would come with the expansion.

...Capacity at Olympic Dam is now rated at 235,000 tonnes of copper, 4500 tonnes of uranium and 100,000 ounces of gold. When fully expanded, the operation's annual capacity will have grown to 750,000 tonnes of copper, 19,000 tonnes of uranium...

Seti
26-02-2010, 06:17 PM
More hurdles for the U industry

Nuclear? It's just too expensive, for us (Aus) and the rest of the world (http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/nuclear-its-just-too-expensive-for-us-and-the-rest-of-the-world-20100225-p4y3.html)

Skol
27-02-2010, 03:45 PM
I posted an article on another thread that says a US Company has developed a reactor smaller than a railcar. Can be built quickly and generate 125/140MW.

POSSUM THE CAT
27-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Skol The reactor need not be big but the shields around it do

tobo
28-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I guess small and quick construction suggests more flexible planning is encouraged -
Perhaps it is an easier decision to build if they feel that they are taking on a smaller commitment (both time and $) and enables more locations to be possible (where previously smaller power demand ruled out nuclear. And it means a scalable centre can be incrementally built.
Against that, I imagine smaller may higher cost per watt,
and the idea of proliferation of many little reactors makes control over hazards weaker.

Look at the size of cell phones and computers now. But I don't think we'll see a reactor in every car (like in the movie 'Back to the Future').

But it is interesting that this size reduction is being researched.
A bit like with finding the optimum size for selling lots of wind turbines (which got bigger)

JBmurc
04-03-2010, 07:29 PM
If only the spot U308 would pick up PEN ACB could get some legs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spot Uranium Falls To US$40.50
BY RUDI FILAPEK-VANDYCK - 04/03/2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received a few remarks from readers this week about my uranium story earlier this week (see “A Death Cross For Global Uranium Stocks”). The main complaint was that if two leading consultants to the uranium industry lower their spot price benchmarks to the same price level, this is not something that is “remarkable” - as I labelled it in my story.

Maybe not, but this week again shows that having Ux Consulting and TradeTech on one and the same price level has become more of an oddity than anything else. I suspect commercial motivations are behind this, but that's all I can do from my chair: assuming and speculating.

Fact is that after TradeTech lowered its weekly spot price to US$40.75/lb last week, UxC has responded by lowering its own weekly spot price indicator a tad lower: to US$40.50/lb from US$41.75/lb the previous week.

As I noted in my earlier story this week (see above) the long term price indicators as set by both consultants have now converged to US$60/lb. I haven't exactly gone through our archive, but it has been a long time since both consultants were on similar price levels for both long term and spot price benchmarks – I'd say more than a year, at least.

As a matter of fact, it now appears it lasted for a very short time only

whatsup
05-03-2010, 11:31 AM
If only the spot U308 would pick up PEN ACB could get some legs

Spot Uranium Falls To US$40.50
BY RUDI FILAPEK-VANDYCK - 04/03/2010

I received a few remarks from readers this week about my uranium story earlier this week (see “A Death Cross For Global Uranium Stocks”). The main complaint was that if two leading consultants to the uranium industry lower their spot price benchmarks to the same price level, this is not something that is “remarkable” - as I labelled it in my story.

Maybe not, but this week again shows that having Ux Consulting and TradeTech on one and the same price level has become more of an oddity than anything else. I suspect commercial motivations are behind this, but that's all I can do from my chair: assuming and speculating.

Fact is that after TradeTech lowered its weekly spot price to US$40.75/lb last week, UxC has responded by lowering its own weekly spot price indicator a tad lower: to US$40.50/lb from US$41.75/lb the previous week.

As I noted in my earlier story this week (see above) the long term price indicators as set by both consultants have now converged to US$60/lb. I haven't exactly gone through our archive, but it has been a long time since both consultants were on similar price levels for both long term and spot price benchmarks – I'd say more than a year, at least.

As a matter of fact, it now appears it lasted for a very short time only

JBM..., Why the drop in U pricing in your mind, when do you think the $60 us will be achieved and why when all indicators just look lousy?

airedale
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
This is worth a read.... takes about 12 minutes.

http://www.resourceintelligence.net/analyst-ray-goldie-makes-the-case-for-uranium-and-resources/7364

JBmurc
05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
well I reckon we won't see much price action this year IMHO but it will come an when it does $60 will be cheap too many new reactors to be built not enough mines of supply

Huang Chung
18-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Courtesy Daddy 2010 over on HC.....

For those relatively new investors wanting to find out more information about the uranium industry, producing countries, ore types and mining/extraction methods etc this is an very good read:

http://teabagmachine.blogr.com/stories/2010-03-17-Uranium-mining/

shasta
28-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Courtesy Daddy 2010 over on HC.....

For those relatively new investors wanting to find out more information about the uranium industry, producing countries, ore types and mining/extraction methods etc this is an very good read:

http://teabagmachine.blogr.com/stories/2010-03-17-Uranium-mining/

U308 dropping another $US0.75 this week, down to $US40.75/lb

Is Uranium now a contrarian buy?

There are forecast shortages coming up, especially due to the Cigar Lake drop in production & the current demand is being made up by old nuclear warheads. Yet there are so many new reactors in the process of being built that need new supply.

Most U308 offtake deals are done on longer contracted U308 prices (which would be closer to $US60/lb), but how much lower will U308 go, before it starts to turn.

In the Uranium sector i like ACB, PEN, FTE, & BMN - all at varying stages of development

asc4
28-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Shasta,

It is a contrarian buy in my opinion, as any U sector investment will be a long term one. The U market is suppressed by existing stockpiles, existing offtake agreements and warhead decommisioning etc.
With focus on carbon emissions: nuclear is clean, reactors last longer and research and development is advancing in respect to waste usage (re-usable) etc.
With the low price of U the high capex/opex mines have been flushed out and In-situ Leaching has become popular to inc. profitability of resources and requires lower grades for extraction also.
So right now there are a few interesting prospects (which you seem to have found).

I am bullish on U long term but reports say there will be a lack of demand due to the aforementioned reasons (existing supply). But with more reactors and a hunger to be green...U will go up.

I also keep in mind that we are in volatile times and reactors are very expensive, there are plenty proposed but how many will get funded (Obama has allocated money (in a round about way) to help nuclear power develop).

I have PEN, a longtermer (definately of late :)), it is 18months from production, require licensing etc. yet PFS due soon.

Uranium is interesting and there are plenty of "bulls" out there.

Beer-o-clock!

Cheers

shasta
07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Shasta,

It is a contrarian buy in my opinion, as any U sector investment will be a long term one. The U market is suppressed by existing stockpiles, existing offtake agreements and warhead decommisioning etc.
With focus on carbon emissions: nuclear is clean, reactors last longer and research and development is advancing in respect to waste usage (re-usable) etc.
With the low price of U the high capex/opex mines have been flushed out and In-situ Leaching has become popular to inc. profitability of resources and requires lower grades for extraction also.
So right now there are a few interesting prospects (which you seem to have found).

I am bullish on U long term but reports say there will be a lack of demand due to the aforementioned reasons (existing supply). But with more reactors and a hunger to be green...U will go up.

I also keep in mind that we are in volatile times and reactors are very expensive, there are plenty proposed but how many will get funded (Obama has allocated money (in a round about way) to help nuclear power develop).

I have PEN, a longtermer (definately of late :)), it is 18months from production, require licensing etc. yet PFS due soon.

Uranium is interesting and there are plenty of "bulls" out there.

Beer-o-clock!

Cheers

I see Uranium (U308) has had a ~10% rise last week, up to $US46.00/lb, first significant movement in a while

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/mining-energy/uranium-writing-is-on-the-wall/story-e6frg9ex-1225901616589

Uranium writing is on the wall

LAST month we had reports that China was to buy 5000 tonnes of uranium in 2010, double its needs - and Beijing building stockpiles.

Also, Reuters recently reported on China’s soaring consumption of electricity. In 1980, that country had 65 gigawatts of installed generating capacity. Last year, that had risen to 874GW. It shows the frantic pace of expansion that the generating capacity is forecast to reach 1500GW within the next 10 years.

But then look at the nuclear capacity. Just 9GW last year, 39GW expected by 2015 and 80GW by 2020. That is going to need a lot of uranium.

Which is useful background when noting a very brief announcement this morning from Paladin Energy. The company has signed a memorandum of understanding with China Guangdong Nuclear Power Holding Corp over future supply of uranium. Interestingly, CGNPC is involved in the construction of a new nuclear power station in the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, with the start of work announced just last week.

Paladin said the MOU could mean an expansion of its activities in the Northern Territory through its joint venture relationship with Energy Metals.

CGNPC owns 69.3 per cent of EME, which in turn has just over 50 per cent of the Bigrlyi uranium deposit in the Northern Territory, where there is a 2009 resource of 13,000 tonnes. The other big stakeholder in that is PDN.

CGNPC is only one of two Chinese companies authorised to import uranium.

So now you can see the significance of that brief announcement this morning. Expect a surge of uranium action in the Territory.

By the way, there is a third partner in Bigrlyi, a player that gets very little attention. Holding a 5 per cent stake is Southern Cross Exploration, last traded at 3c. SXX is the vehicle for the well known exploration and Poseidon-era veteran Boris Ganke.

shasta
10-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Uranium (U308) up this week +$3.00 to $US48.00/lb

The Uranium sector is slowing turning round, personally i like ACB, PEN, FTE, THX & SRZ in the U308 sector

mistymountain
12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
How do you rate PDN?

shasta
13-09-2010, 12:02 PM
How do you rate PDN?

As a uranium producer they are certainly well placed for when the U308 price recovers, most Uranium offtake agreements are on contract prices well above the spot price. I guess when comparing producers its there cash costs, or profit margin that is important.

Not too many Uranium companies in production on the ASX, others with Uranium as a secondary income are EQN & AGG, who are primarily Copper & Gold producers.

The companies i listed are all explorers or in the early development stage, & i'm just looking for value, ie those with a low market cap v JORC resource. ACB stands out & THX is one to watch

whatsup
28-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Uranium (U308) up this week +$3.00 to $US48.00/lb

The Uranium sector is slowing turning round, personally i like ACB, PEN, FTE, THX & SRZ in the U308 sector

Shasta Uranium up to $52 as of 25/10/2010 looking good for all U miners for the rest of 2010 and possibly 2011.

lewinsky
29-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi Whatsup,

I tend to agree with you. The big question is which U miner has the best potential. Hard to see the prices reaching $120 as it did back in 2007 and saw PDN get to over $10.

I currently have no exposure to Uranium, radioactive free, but should shift something into this sector.

Any thoughts?

JBmurc
29-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah good to see some movement with ACB glad to have top up with a few more at 30.5c my fav U308 massive potential for the resource to hit 300mlbs next year making it the 7th-8th biggest U308 discovery in the world

COLIN
29-10-2010, 10:28 AM
PEN and AFR are my only uranium interests at the moment (I think, but I may have overlooked some. Ah, the perils of having too widespread a portfolio!) Switched my PEN involvement from PENOA to PENOC, as I prefer the longer-dated options, arguing that the greater timeframe provides more room to see wide fluctuations on which to capitalise.)

JBmurc
31-10-2010, 08:03 AM
PEN and AFR are my only uranium interests at the moment (I think, but I may have overlooked some. Ah, the perils of having too widespread a portfolio!) Switched my PEN involvement from PENOA to PENOC, as I prefer the longer-dated options, arguing that the greater timeframe provides more room to see wide fluctuations on which to capitalise.)

Yeah I really like the look of the PENOC opts 2015 the U308 bull market should be in it's prime once again before ex.date
the self serve management of PEN will certainly make sure they'll be well looked after my only neg. towards PEN over the likes of ACB

mistymountain
31-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Top management, great looking resource and clear mission statement to become a producer... MHC looks positive... any comments from those with more expertise than me?

whatsup
01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Top management, great looking resource and clear mission statement to become a producer... MHC looks positive... any comments from those with more expertise than me?

MM I tend to agree from the Summit days the management didnt make any mistakes sold out at the top of the market and could repeat the same with MHC.

Financially dependant
04-11-2010, 06:28 PM
BMN having a great run today and are up around 90% in 4 weeks...!

whatsup
04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Shasta Uranium up to $52 as of 25/10/2010 looking good for all U miners for the rest of 2010 and possibly 2011.

Up again $53.5 now.

whatsup
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Up again $53.5 now.

UP ANOTHER 5+% today over $58/lb now WOW DOUBLE WOW but sadly not reflected in share prices of U shares- what gives !

Financially dependant
11-11-2010, 07:28 AM
UP ANOTHER 5+% today over $58/lb now WOW DOUBLE WOW but sadly not reflected in share prices of U shares- what gives !

BMN has doubled it's SP off the back of the rise in U, the producers normally work off contracts so uncontracted yellow cake will shadow U price more closely.

lewinsky
14-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Momentum is building in the Uranium price.

http://www.financialpost.com/news/Uranium+surges+potential+shortfalls/4090731/story.html

I brought back into DYL last week and think that the Uranium sector is one to keep a firm eye on this year.

AGS could be worth a look?

LEW

Crypto Crude
11-10-2012, 10:51 PM
anyone got any thoughts about BMN...
and any other uranium picks?
:cool:
.^sc

JBmurc
12-10-2012, 09:54 PM
only one I still keep a eye on is ACB "world top 10 size U308 resource,, is in the process of completing a Bankable Feasibility Study at Letlhakane, which is on target to be completed in 2014, with first production anticipated 2015" (so nothing much in the Short term outside further increase in U308 or more coal discoveries .....J.V ,,,takeoever 2013 imho)

U308 tapping on bottom value and interest so prob great time to buy

ACB Only worth 29mill for... 351mill lbs of U308 JORC resource

From ann report--
"Letlhakane is likely the only major undeveloped uranium project in the world capable of being in production in the next five years at a capital cost of less than $500 million."

JBmurc
19-12-2012, 04:29 PM
December 17, 2012 - 5:30PM

Uranium market returns to power

Global uranium demand is set to rebound as Japan's nuclear reactors are gradually switched back on by the new Liberal Democratic Party government, re-elected at the weekend after three years out of office.

Shares in uranium miners Paladin Energy and Rio Tinto's Energy Resources Australia have surged – by 7 per cent and 5 per cent respectively, at the time of writing – and the spot price of uranium neared $US44 per pound of uranium oxide.

UBS resources analyst Glyn Lawcock welcomed the news, saying it had been a "torrid" 18 months for uranium markets since the closure of the Fukushima Daiichi reactor following last year's Japanese earthquake and tsunami.

Japan shut down its entire fleet of 54 reactors in the wake of the partial meltdown, causing widespread power shortages and a rise in energy prices as coal, oil and gas made up the shortfall. Nuclear power is relatively cheap to run, once built.

Advertisement Spot uranium prices fell from their pre-Fukushima level of about $US65/lb to a low of $US40.80 in November and have recovered somewhat since. Nymex uranium futures closed at $US45.50 last Friday, the last price quoted by Bloomberg.

Mr Lawcock said until recently investors had been concerned that Japan, which had deferred some deliveries of uranium as stockpiles rose, would turn around and become a net seller into the world market. Paladin was better placed than ERA to benefit from a recovery in uranium prices, he said, because three quarters of its output would be sold at prices linked to the spot market.

UBS commodities analyst Tom Price said a restart of Japan's reactors would restore 20 million pounds of demand, representing 10 per cent of the world market.

Mr Price said Japan simply could not afford to replace its nuclear reactors and the coal, oil and gas substitutes "actually delivered very high cost power to the market. It's a critical issue for their industrial sector".

Mr Price said the indefinite deferral of BHP Billiton's Olympic Dam expansion, and the re-election of the LDP in Japan, were "two bull points" for the uranium price and UBS was forecasting a recovery to $US50/lb in 2013, and $US55/lb in 2014 and a long-term price of $US65/lb.

Junior Toro Energy is expecting a decision this week from the federal Environment Minister, Tony Burke, on its 100 per cent-owned Wiluna uranium mine in Western Australia.

Toro's managing director, Greg Hall, said Japan had been spending an additional $US100 million a day on extra coal, oil and gas to make up its power shortfall.

A new nuclear power safety regime would be in place by April and capacity would be restored through 2013-15.

Skol
19-12-2012, 05:07 PM
2 of my picks for the 2013 share competition are uranium stocks, PDN and DYL. There's no way around it, nuclear reactors are still the way of the future, uranium's had a bad rap since Fukushima.

JBmurc
19-12-2012, 09:43 PM
well I agree with you there Skol ...PDN is still great buying IMHO ... an explorer wise ACB has one very large world class resource
have been very temped of late ...currently overweight in Oil&Gas sector

showstring
27-01-2017, 10:34 AM
uranium stocks getting a bit of interest again, has the cycle turned?

look at ERA... going crazy

JBmurc
27-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Don't know why when you look at the low price ... $22.50 >>>

Joshuatree
02-08-2017, 08:56 PM
$20.15 lb atm. A mate says thats re a third to half less then the cost of extracting it; something will have to give but don't ask me when:confused::eek2:

shasta
02-08-2017, 09:40 PM
$20.15 lb atm. A mate says thats re a third to half less the cost of extracting it; something will have to give but don't ask me when:confused::eek2:

Still got an eye on Uranium wondering when it will come back into favour/if it ever does. Watching VMY in this sector

karlos68
06-08-2017, 06:20 PM
uranium stocks getting a bit of interest again, has the cycle turned?

I'm picking it's going to be all on showstring.

Monthly Spot Price U308 chart shows Uranium nearing pointy end of Descending Wedge.

Joshuatree
19-07-2018, 12:51 PM
10 year bear for Uranium prices but it looks like the bottom was in 2017 .Current price $23.25 lb. Soph investors starting to take positions?

shasta
19-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Uranium supplies starting to tighten up for the first time in a long time, must start to move the price up soon, so am keeping watch of VMY in the sector.

JBmurc
19-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Uranium supplies starting to tighten up for the first time in a long time, must start to move the price up soon, so am keeping watch of VMY in the sector.

Yes I've got ACB on my watchlist ....

Joshuatree
19-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Watching what CCJ Cameco will do with their Mc Arthur River op.if they decide to keep it shutdown the spot mkt could really takeoff is what im reading.

Joshuatree
24-07-2018, 05:42 PM
First dip in today got a few PEN @ 28c and PDN too.

Joshuatree
26-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Cameco reports second quarter results and its decision to suspend production .. (http://www.4-traders.com/CAMECO-CORP-1409364/news/Cameco-reports-second-quarter-results-and-its-decision-to-suspend-production-at-McArthur-River-and-K-26994342/)

First duck lined up to increasing price of U. Mcarthur River and Key lake suspension continues, with 550 employees let go.

Joshuatree
26-07-2018, 02:08 PM
In response VMY up 10%
PEN and PDN both up 8% atpit
Uranium up a tad to $24.15
A good start guys

Joshuatree
27-07-2018, 02:24 PM
And today VMY up re 16% (https://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=02002818)
PDN up another 8%
PEN 3.3%. there is still an overhang of shares to get rid of so this is arguably the best buy
ACB still not moving JB

EAAASSSSYYY money folks:D

Joshuatree
27-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Whoops i mean PDN has the overhang not PEN.

"CCJ is telling the market that not only have they taken 18m lb of production from the supply side for an "indefinite period" they are now also acting on the demand side by buying 2-4m lb in the next 5 months of 2018 and 9-11m lb during 2019." Ding!, has a light blazed on yet , the mkt just waking up:eek2:

As always DYOR

Joshuatree
28-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Uranium price $25.65 , 8% up for week, 13.25% month 25.12% year

Baa_Baa
28-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Uranium price $25.65 , 8% up for week, 13.25% month 25.12% year

Just wondering how you reconcile uranium investing with your 'do the right thing' rhetoric on other threads?

Joshuatree
29-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Oh no not again i hope you dont become a habitual troll. DYOR on global warming and coal fired power stations on the appropriate thread if you are being credible.Jury is out here atp.

cammo
30-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Uranium is a clean power source especially with new style reactors. Dealing with the waste fuel is getting easier. We really should buy a couple of old nuke subs and park them out off Auckland. Much cheaper than building power stations. The reactors in those are good for many decades. We can't really dam any more rivers and solar wind etc ain't gonna cut it. With what to power your heatpump dear Eugenie?
Nzs biggest problem is the low level of education of it's people, because jobs used to be easy to get and little quals required.

Joshuatree
04-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Int idea the subs cammo but i dont think we are going to have power probs anytime soon.Weather events are becoming more extreme and as long as water falls in the the right catchments our main green source is ample with the add ons of solar and wind and steam. And a few ops for pumped storage hydro. Other countries not so lucky though.

Price of U ticking up slowly, at a1 year plus high now.

cammo
05-08-2018, 02:43 PM
How many new houses coming on? 10000. How long is huntly going to run for ? Unless tiwai goes, we will likely need more. Pv is growing but I think the electric car uptake will cause it's own demand and infrastructure issues. Just wait till more local governments start phasing out woodburners like chch has. And don't forget all the gas heaters that will be banned...all to be replaced by electricity consumption.

Joshuatree
16-08-2018, 11:47 PM
keeping an eye on the uranium price. Its steadily climbed from $23.74 to 26.25 in the last month a 10.57% rise. A lot of heavy lifting to go.

Joshuatree
12-09-2018, 03:04 PM
$27 atm,last time it was this high was May 2016. My stocks have paused and not following the price rise atm.

Joshuatree
21-12-2018, 01:39 PM
$28.60 atm off its highs and stock prices heading back down.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/idaho-test-reactor-pivotal-us-nuclear-power-strategy-59838063 (https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/idaho-test-reactor-pivotal-us-nuclear-power-strategy-59838063)
"Still, nuclear energy has been identified by U.S. officials as having a key role in reducing the nation's greenhouse gas emissions."
"Nuclear is a primary way to get there," said Wachs. "It's really the only way to get there."

Dej
23-12-2018, 04:17 AM
Whats everyone buying? I have VMY and BMN at the moment, will also try pick up some others for a diversified portfolio, e.g. other companies at different levels in their project timelines.

shasta
26-12-2018, 01:47 AM
VMY is the only U stock i have on close watch, whilst the spot price is slowly rising its going to take a while to get to a point its worth mining the stuff for newcomers, with most current producers marginal and cutting production.

Joshuatree
26-12-2018, 12:19 PM
https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/22/congress-passes-modern-nuclear-power-bill/
"Congress passed bipartisan legislation that aims to streamline the regulatory process for commercial nuclear plants, bringing relief to an industry that has witnessed decline and uncertainty. The Nuclear Energy Innovation and Modernization Act was approved in the House of Representatives by wide margins Friday, clearing the chamber by 361 to 10. The Senate had already approved the bill on Thursday by a voice vote."

Joshuatree
03-01-2019, 11:32 AM
capture-jpg.1404204 (https://hotcopper.com.au/attachments/capture-jpg.1404204/?temp_hash=83efd305ca0b29c7b0da3bc9e96bab18)

wizAlvin
11-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Joshuatree - are you in 2019 comp?

Joshuatree
11-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Not yet 216,000 secs to go, thanks for the reminder though.

wizAlvin
13-01-2019, 09:29 AM
ASZ 2019 competition closing in few hours

Joshuatree
17-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Trump rejects USA 25% quota. Uranium price picks up (but has been for a while). Still holding only PDN (not a recco DYOR).Just need the U price to keep trending up for mine to be reactivated.

up 6.05% last week
7.57% last month
11.21%last year

Dej
17-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Trump rejects USA 25% quota. Uranium price picks up (but has been for a while). Still holding only PDN (not a recco DYOR).Just need the U price to keep trending up for mine to be reactivated.

up 6.05% last week
7.57% last month
11.21%last year

I hold VMY and BMN, was looking for a leveraged position too but there seems to only be options on Peninsula (PEN.AU), Alligator (AGEO.AU) and D Yellow (DYLO.AU).

Jerry
12-01-2020, 06:51 AM
Watching the red sun go down in a pink sky caused by Aussie smoke from their fires. Just watched Chernobyl. Nuclear power plants in Australia, anyone?

McPussPuss
18-09-2021, 05:43 PM
Might be partial to it this decade as they head towards nuclear subs.

Watchful
22-03-2022, 10:30 AM
With everyone from Germany to the Phillipines suddenly rethinking the previous phase-out or cancellations of nuclear, a reasonable amount of the world supply under question, and the likes of the US suddenly looking for future supply internally or from ‘safe’ countries, I can see some very positive moves in this sector over the next few years.

Anybody have any favourites here currently? I’d imagine the pressure will be on, as usual these days, for more eco-friendly recovery methods, so can’t help but wonder if there’s any new technology brewing in that regard.

Joshuatree
22-03-2022, 08:04 PM
Hi good idea but have they run up already? I'm out of touch having owned BMN and Paladin in the past.Yes uranium labelled a green energy now and it's decades prob before solar,wind etc will replace oil and gas.Also Russia produc es re 25% atm

mistymountain
23-03-2022, 08:44 PM
Hi good idea but have they run up already? I'm out of touch having owned BMN and Paladin in the past.Yes uranium labelled a green energy now and it's decades prob before solar,wind etc will replace oil and gas.Also Russia produc es re 25% atm

Uranium as a short, mid and long term investment a long way to travel. Maybe a short term run up and ASX Stocks Highly volatile on week to week valuations .

However macro forces are unavoidable. Energy squeezes on gas / fossil fuels. Baseload demands for effectively Carbon Zero Energy. Combine with underdevelopment of U mines with burgeoning SMR builds creating future utility demand.

From Asia to Europe nuclear an integral part of Energy supply to 2050.

Once Spot hits $75 expect companies to create Financial Plans to reopen mines.

FYI BMN in Trading Halt. Expect new funds to tap into mine reopening in late 2022 / 23.

mistymountain
23-03-2022, 08:47 PM
With everyone from Germany to the Phillipines suddenly rethinking the previous phase-out or cancellations of nuclear, a reasonable amount of the world supply under question, and the likes of the US suddenly looking for future supply internally or from ‘safe’ countries, I can see some very positive moves in this sector over the next few years.

Anybody have any favourites here currently? I’d imagine the pressure will be on, as usual these days, for more eco-friendly recovery methods, so can’t help but wonder if there’s any new technology brewing in that regard.

DYL for Management expertise par excellence
BMN for geography
PEN for USA exposure and management expertise. On ASX.
PDN for mothballed mine good to go
UEC for USA

DYOR tho... Cheers
Cameco for a big player in production
LOT for new opportunity

Watchful
23-03-2022, 09:15 PM
DYL for Management expertise par excellence
BMN for geography
PEN for USA exposure and management expertise. On ASX.
PDN for mothballed mine good to go
UEC for USA

DYOR tho... Cheers
Cameco for a big player in production
LOT for new opportunity

Greatly appreciated mistymountain, looks like I’ve got a lot of reading to do.

PEN had caught my eye yesterday, so nice to see a voice in favour already. Looks like they’re about to make a decision on restarting production using an assumedly improved method, so timing could be positive there.

mistymountain
25-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Highly likely either:

a. Russia bans export of U to the USA
b. USA bans import of U from Russia
c. a + b
d. USA make U an Essential Mineral with focus on domestic mining
e. c + d

DYOR: some big power plays at play for U in 2022. Cheers

JBmurc
16-06-2022, 11:59 AM
Nuclear Is Back on the Table for a Green Future

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/15/business/dealbook-dc-climate-task-force.html

Buying and holding ACB ...one of the top10 U308 deposits in the world ... shallow open pit ..

Watchful
28-10-2022, 10:54 AM
Any others holding/looked at Silex? (SLX). Potentially in a very key technological position for domestic US refining for next-gen HALEU reactors.

Picked some up 6 months ago which has performed well so far. On my list of potential further top-ups in coming market madness of the next month or six. Of course, nuclear may soon become very much out-of-fashion again, for a time.

moka
27-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Uranium is not a curse word anymore! There is growing support for nuclear power and this video discusses some uranium prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i71MRFfeVfo
Stocks Down Under Checking in on BrainChip and Weebit Nano: Investor Webinar 12 July 2023

“I just had some astounding Intel from a contact of mine who was active in the uranium industry. What he tells me is that if you do polls of the adult population you find that a majority are in favor of nuclear power.
First of all let's talk about the price. The price of uranium has had a great 2023.
No surprises there, uranium supply and demand uh are well and truly tilted in favor of the of the demand side whereas mine supply isn't.
So after a long period of the doldrums that followed the Fukushima disaster in 2011 uranium is starting to look pretty good and the spot price there is improving.
The supply versus demand dynamics for nuclear power at the moment basically there's not much capacity out there in the foreseeable future to accommodate the demand that's going to be the amount of uranium that's going to be required.”

JBmurc
30-08-2023, 07:30 PM
Uranium is not a curse word anymore! There is growing support for nuclear power and this video discusses some uranium prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i71MRFfeVfo
Stocks Down Under Checking in on BrainChip and Weebit Nano: Investor Webinar 12 July 2023

“I just had some astounding Intel from a contact of mine who was active in the uranium industry. What he tells me is that if you do polls of the adult population you find that a majority are in favor of nuclear power.
First of all let's talk about the price. The price of uranium has had a great 2023.
No surprises there, uranium supply and demand uh are well and truly tilted in favor of the of the demand side whereas mine supply isn't.
So after a long period of the doldrums that followed the Fukushima disaster in 2011 uranium is starting to look pretty good and the spot price there is improving.
The supply versus demand dynamics for nuclear power at the moment basically there's not much capacity out there in the foreseeable future to accommodate the demand that's going to be the amount of uranium that's going to be required.”

Makes sense Solar / Windmill aren't going cut it to replace FF

mistymountain
30-08-2023, 11:45 PM
U Price on the move.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/uranium

The 1 , 5 , 10 and 25 year graphs look super bullish for the next 1 - 5 years.

Supply demand economics getting stronger in U favour.

Joshuatree
29-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Looking like a good place to be in one's portfolio guys.
Anyone know of an etf or stock that holds uranium miners or tracks the U price like OOO( I hold) on the AsX which is a financial derivative that tracks the price of oil.
A company I'm looking at ATM is SLX on asx close to cracking uranium enrichment

Snow Leopard
29-09-2023, 06:14 PM
Anyone know of an etf or stock that holds uranium miners or tracks the U price like OOO( I hold) on the AsX which is a financial derivative that tracks the price of oil.

Betashares URNM (https://www.betashares.com.au/fund/global-uranium-etf/)

FTG
29-09-2023, 08:47 PM

URA (not on the ASX though)

- Well established (since about 2010)
- Fees "ok"
- Liquidity very good
- Volatility palatable, comparatively speaking

mistymountain
29-09-2023, 09:21 PM
Plenty of options on the NYSE; check out the Sprott Funds: Juniors through to the Miners. I'd love to get some of the SPUT (Physical U ) but Sharsies doesn't provide this purchase.

Tons on great ASX listed companies tho:

Near term producers like Boss . Through to companies operating in Namibia eg Deep Yellow.

Others are likely to restart mothballed mines (eg Paladin, Lotus).

Meanwhile you go super spec and throw dice on the explorers with a resource but State Government not allowing U mining. eg Cauldron....

The thesis for a significant Supply Squeeze through 2024 - 2026 and beyond keeps growing as nations realise Baseload Energy and Zero Carbon is only provided by Nuclear.

mistymountain
29-09-2023, 09:24 PM
This recent U and nuclear vid from the Aussie lads is HIGHLY Recommended (actually the whole Podcast is....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lxbd7ttvp4

Helps to Bust those BBQ myths over the water cooler.

Also highly intelligent and entertaining so 50 mins very very well spent.

Cheers

mistymountain
29-09-2023, 09:27 PM
September ....What a month.... 20 % increase in price. Now US$70lb.

Place your bets for this 2023 / 24 New Year;

Azz
30-09-2023, 09:31 AM
Nothing tastes better than uranium.

JBmurc
03-11-2023, 11:04 AM
$74lb the price just keeps ticking higher... $100 in the sights

thedrunkfish
10-01-2024, 05:05 PM
Bit of a jump today, looks like the US wants to build their own U308 supply.... Good for PEN.

mistymountain
14-01-2024, 11:18 PM
$74lb the price just keeps ticking higher... $100 in the sights

Yup; and U punched through the $100 this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfYkzfc3Oz8

Many US U stocks up over 10 % on Friday. eg UEC , UROY etc etc.

Will the ASX U stocks copy on Monday??

mistymountain
14-01-2024, 11:20 PM
PEN's price has been hammered by:

1. The SPP
2. UEC ditching the business mid 2023

However once the SPP done this January then this share should rerate.

I like the options on the SPP too.

Cheers

JBmurc
15-01-2024, 09:54 AM
Yup; and U punched through the $100 this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfYkzfc3Oz8

Many US U stocks up over 10 % on Friday. eg UEC , UROY etc etc.

Will the ASX U stocks copy on Monday??

added more AEEO to the pile with two U308 projects could well double next couple of months certainly T/O target

mistymountain
15-01-2024, 12:52 PM
Will check AEEO out. Thanks for recommendation.

PEN up 19% this morning so the broader market realizing that this near term USA producer was undervalued.

thedrunkfish
15-01-2024, 02:41 PM
Will check AEEO out. Thanks for recommendation.

PEN up 19% this morning so the broader market realizing that this near term USA producer was undervalued.

My only concern with PEN is the large contracts in place at lower prices, from memory nearly half of the lance resource.

In the long term nuclear isn't going away.

mistymountain
19-01-2024, 12:16 AM
Trading Economics U Spot Market data usually delayed a week. Updated today.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/uranium

So good to see the $100 mark broken for the first time since the previous Bull Run in the mid 2000's.

Inflation adjusted, ATH needs still a move to $200.

Key Questions: will the price keep doing a parabolic spike?

or

Trade sideways from here before stepping higher until mothballed mines and new supply come on line as we head into the 2030's?

mistymountain
11-03-2024, 09:32 PM
Big news over the weekend for the US U sector:

https://twitter.com/quakes99/status/1766567700007100628

- Senate Ban on Russian Uranium
- Purchases to stock domestic Strategic Reserves
- US$2.7 Bill to support domestic production.