PDA

View Full Version : FAVOURITE INVESTMENT ONE LINERS

whiteheron
30-12-2004, 05:35 PM
I am considering making up a dosier of favourite investment one liners and will be interested in hearing any gems that you may have , attributed or anonymous

A few suggestions to kick it off ( not sure of the origins )

If you want to be a winner follow winners
If you want to be a loser follow losers
Never throw good money after bad
Time will tell (one of my favourites )
Treat investment tips extremely cautiously
Dont expect miracles overnight
To succeed you have to be smarter than the next fellow
Cut your losses and let your profits run
Nobody ever went broke making a profit (not too sure if literally correct , but has a message )
Never be too proud to take a loss and move on (probably the most common investment mistake )

These are just a few that come to mind
I am sure that there are hundreds of beauties out there that are much better than those that I have put up to start the ball rolling

Come on , put your thinking caps on and let us all know your favourites

Heres hoping that we all have a good year in 2005 --- personally I think it will be a bit tougher than 2004 though
Good investing

Halebop
30-12-2004, 06:19 PM
When asked to give advice I've always loved the facetious: Buy Low, Sell High

More than happy to be stood corrected but I think the saying might actually be: Nobody ever went broke TAKING a profit...

Also love quotes from the expert of the moment explaining why today's fad will last forever!

Longtack
30-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Here's some pearls (not of wisdom) from the high-profile investment-industry-supported but "independant" Mary Holm taken from the Dominion Post 14Dec article on "Stop Losses" but it covers a multitude of topics:

[:o)]"If it's falling fast, you are probably better to ride out the fall."
[:o)]"Often markets rebound fast. But sometimes it does take ages." Duh
[:o)]"The shares should also be based in different countries, unless you are also investing in an international share fund."
[:o)]"Then forget about trading strategies. Hold the shares for many years, through rising and falling markets."
[:o)][:o)]"Sell only those shares that have done so well that they now dominate your portfolio, and then sell only some of those holdings, just to restore balance." That's a beauty - selling your winners (to buy what? - a loser?). [xx(]

Like holding TEL at $9.30, watching it fall to $4.00 in 4 years, then waiting another 18mths to get to 70% of it's original cost (value.)

I feel that I must confess to recently disposing of my last managed fund and this returned a whopping 6% in 3 years:( - no - not every year for 3 years :([xx(]:([V]

whiteheron
30-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Halebop

Yes , the correct word is of course "taking "

Longtack

Perhaps I should add to the list " never take advice from Mary Holm "
I gave up reading her column many moons ago

Some ripper quotes there , but they definitely will not be making my list --- they may make an all time worst advice ever list though !

foodee
30-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Just picked a couple from my collection.

"The most powerful force in the universe is compounding".......Einstein

"Look after the downside and the upside will look after itself"........Donald Trump

Cheers and a prosperous 2005 to all

Steve
31-12-2004, 11:13 AM
My favourite of the year:

"Good, attractively priced IPOs will go out the door, there is huge demand for them." Tim Preston of ASB Securities.

:D:D:D

whiteheron
31-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Steve

Yes , but which door ???

Front door , side door , back door or trap door ?

Maybe this is some sort of IPO language that is reserved for the knowledgable

A great quote though

whiteheron
01-01-2005, 06:08 AM
aspex

Thanks , some pretty good ones there --- that is the sort of quotes that I am after

Come on all you other folk , I am sure you must have some pearlers tucked away there that you can share with us

zyreon
01-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Make sure the company is such that any idiot could successfully operate it... someday one probably will.
Bottom fishing is like trying to catch a falling knife.
Key to property investing success: location, location, location.
Key to trading success: money management, money management, money management.

Incidentally you most certainly -can- go broke taking a profit.

Cooper
02-01-2005, 10:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by foodee

"Look after the downside and the upside will look after itself"........Donald Trump

Cheers and a prosperous 2005 to all

Was he being ironic??!! [:o)]

foodee
03-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Hi Cooper
Unsure about being ironic.
My take is that watch the downside on any investment (as most here do) and anything going on the upside.....well let it ride!!

How do you read the quote?

cheers & a prosperous '05 to you

Capitalist
03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.
G.K. Chesterton

The obvious is always least understood.
Prince Metternich

These and others at http://turtletrader.com/quotations.html Check it out. Phaedrus likes the Turtles ;)

Cooper
03-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Hi Cooper
Unsure about being ironic.
My take is that watch the downside on any investment (as most here do) and anything going on the upside.....well let it ride!!

How do you read the quote?

cheers & a prosperous '05 to you

I think your post is spot on in it's wisdom... but I don't think Mr. Trump is necessarily the best exponent of his own advice.
I don't know too much about the Donald but I do know that he has a habit of passing the buck on his failed ventures and building his empire on a "house of cards" of debt and promises... which to me doesn't sound like someone who is fixed on limiting the downside.
Although he always seems to wriggle out of his messes with the result of his bankers holding most of the loss... maybe that's what he means...
Happy New Year to you and yours as well, foodee.

foodee
03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi Cooper
You're right about DT and & history has borne this out. The following quote is probably more in tune to his operations:-

"if I owe the bank $10 and can't pay, I am in trouble
if I owe the bank $1000000 & can't pay, the bank is in trouble!"...........ssm.[}:)]

cheers

Steve
03-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Hi Cooper
You're right about DT and & history has borne this out. The following quote is probably more in tune to his operations:-

if I owe the bank $1000000 & can't pay, the bank is in trouble!"...........ssm.[}:)]

cheers

The first time DT 'almost' went under, the banks were owed something like US$500m. His comment at the time was that when the bank is so exposed, they are in effect your business partner...

Lawso
07-01-2005, 07:05 AM
The following has nothing to do (directly) with investing but it's a truth that ought to be engraven on the minds of all Helengrad politicians and their public service flunkies. It was spoken by Margaret Thatcher in 1979, not long after she became PM and began wrestling with the horrendous economic problems she inherited from Labour after Britain's "winter of discontent".

"It is your tax that pays for public spending. The government has no money of its own. There is only taxpayers' money."

whiteheron
07-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Lawso

Too true

There is another one in a similar vein I dont know who it is credited to

It is easy to spend the governments money ; it doesnt seem to belong to anybody

We have all seen more than a few examples of that !!!

Placebo
26-01-2005, 02:58 PM
A latecomer to this discussion.

More of a cliche but my fave is "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is".
Donald Trump quote of the year surely must be: "You're Fired".

My knowledge is more in sporting quotes, though a few of those are also applicable to business:
The more I practice the luckier I get -- Arnold Palmer
The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare -- Juma Ikangaa
Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated -- Anon
Enthusiasm is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money, power and influence -- Henry Chester
Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win -- Tom Fleming
Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed - Booker T. Washington
I don't make predictions, I make prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong -- Murray Walker (incidentally, his book "Unless I'm very much mistaken" is a great read).

:)

David Hardman
26-01-2005, 03:49 PM
My Favorite

Picking bottoms will only give you smelly fingers

David

zyreon
26-01-2005, 08:32 PM
quote:Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated -- Anon

Very good - must remember that one

Packersoldkidney
27-01-2005, 08:23 PM
"You can dip your toe in the same river but once." Heroclitus approx 500 BC. (i.e. everything changes with time - the river always flows on and is always different every time you dip your toe into it. There are no 'rules for investing/trading' that will work the same way exactly as they did previously. What has happened previously should only be a guide, and not a precisely accurate predictor of the future. Other variants attributed to Heroclitus include "You can never step into the river of time twice." and "All is flux, nothing is stationary.")

Placebo
28-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Another good cliche: "No pain, no gain".

This differs slightly from my own personal training slogan: "No pain -- good."[8D]

scamper
01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Grandaddy who made a reasonable fortune (in the mid 20th century) insisted that the golden rule was:
Always leave something for the next bloke.

He also had something pithy about the unexpected jump -- something like 20% in a fortnight -- do you really think 520% p.a. is likely?

And then: Never try to catch a falling knife.

No discipline is this pup's biggest problem...

rh
02-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Losers average losers -- Paul Tudor Jones

Halebop
02-04-2005, 08:37 PM
"Severe change and exceptional returns usually don't mix"

...and...

"Turn-arounds seldom turn"

both Warren Buffett.

Steve
08-04-2005, 08:49 AM
"The NZX does not accept at this time that the inspection function gives rise to a duty of care either to Access, or to its clients"

From the 2nd Liquidators report of Access Brokerage

GOOD one NZX[xx(]

Westie
08-04-2005, 02:02 PM
"Your company has one of two choices - go bankrupt or go public"

Investment banker to CEO

trackers
30-04-2005, 09:13 AM
How did you get so rich? "I never bought at the bottom, and I never sold at the top"

Joshuatree
11-10-2016, 10:40 PM
These from 2005 very pertinent and appropriate to now re D Trump.

.I think your post is spot on in it's wisdom... but I don't think Mr. Trump is necessarily the best exponent of his own advice.
I don't know too much about the Donald but I do know that he has a habit of passing the buck on his failed ventures and building his empire on a "house of cards" of debt and promises... which to me doesn't sound like someone who is fixed on limiting the downside.
Although he always seems to wriggle out of his messes with the result of his bankers holding most of the loss... maybe that's what he means...
Happy New Year to you and yours as well, foodee.

The first time DT 'almost' went under, the banks were owed something like US$500m. His comment at the time was that when the bank is so exposed, they are in effect your business partner...

if I owe the bank $1000000 & can't pay, the bank is in trouble!"foodee

My fave for him "Empty vessels make the loudest noise"

Pricey
09-03-2017, 07:13 PM
“It’s time in the market, not timing the market”

I keep reminded myself of this nowadays. Buy low and just ride it out.

Joshuatree
09-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Some stocks are cyclic so "Sell high buy low" is a good one too.; simple charting helps timing in and out. "Using T/A " by KW helps. Im still learning.
Like this one too.
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth"

macduffy
10-03-2017, 07:11 AM
I rather like:

"Where are the customers' yachts?"

Title of investment book by Fred Schweb,referring to an innocent question from a prospective investor.

huxley
12-03-2017, 02:32 PM
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair! "

Bjauck
12-03-2017, 02:41 PM
"We change our recommendation on this stock to outperform"
Translation: "The stock is now at its peak and will likely underperform"

BullishBear
12-03-2017, 03:12 PM
” You are only as good as your last trade”.
‘You are not paid to manage cash,”