PDA

View Full Version : Big Charts is back !!!!!!

port hills
01-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Can anyone suggest the best place for charts while Big Charts isn't working for NZ stock codes?

Ceers in advance
Port Hills :)

Phaedrus
02-03-2005, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't know if it was the "best" or not, but you could take a look at :-

http://marketdata.fatprophets.com.au/

port hills
02-03-2005, 09:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Phaedrus

I wouldn't know if it was the "best" or not, but you could take a look at :-

http://marketdata.fatprophets.com.au/

Thanks Phaedrus I'll check it out.

PS I really enjoy your posts, you have made me want to learn about TA. Thanks heaps. :)

limegreen
02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I miss OnBalanceVolume, which sadly is not a feature of most other charting services I've come across (e.g., fatprophets, national bank, direct broking)

port hills
02-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I hope I didn't change the title of this thread prematurely but it's working for me at the moment. [:p]

limegreen
02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I've had some limited success with it, and it takes longer than it used to. The one thing I can't get is nogoc.

scamper
09-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Yes, I've also managed to find stuff, but definitely "limited" compared with the previous system.
I can no longer access the java charts, so no trend lines can be drawn etc. bit disappointing. Still, I guess that goes with the small NZX.

I remember being gutted when INCREDIBLE charts stopped running nz stocks -- their info's still the best though for TA students. [edited bit -- oops! got my late lamented incrediblecharts site mixed up][:I]

limegreen
09-03-2005, 04:37 PM
You can sign up for free to get the Java charts. The NZ exchange info is still there, you just have to enter it as a keyword, then on the results page change the search scope from US, search again, and click through...

Snow Leopard
10-03-2005, 07:34 AM
some companies work others don't. It is no different then when I last tried to use the site about a week and a half ago

Winston001
19-03-2005, 10:48 AM
I agree with PT. Disappointing but if its free, we cannot really complain. I find Yahoo Finance pretty good overall.

limegreen
21-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Mosteph: No, you don't have to sign up. basically if you type in a code like NZ:WAM, there are too possibilities. 1) A grey box with "no stock found". So type something else (perhaps part of the full name, or a complete nonsense stock, the key is not put in the name or code of a US stock). this should hopefull get you to 2). It says stock not found, and will give you a list of somewhat relevent US stocks. Change the country to all countries and search again. I know it sounds retarded, but you can search for NZ:WAM in all countries, it complain it can't find a match, and then list NZ:WAM in the results, click on it and you're away. Frustrating, but seems to work.

port hills
24-03-2005, 09:54 AM
I've found I can get every stock I've tried including NOGOC on interactive charts but it doesn't happen straight away.
If it comes up 'symbol not found' click 'draw chart' again and keep repeating untill it works, it may take ten or more attempts but you get there in the end. Not so for java charts though. :)

rotsevni
16-01-2006, 09:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by port hills

I've found I can get every stock I've tried including NOGOC on interactive charts but it doesn't happen straight away.
If it comes up 'symbol not found' click 'draw chart' again and keep repeating untill it works, it may take ten or more attempts but you get there in the end. Not so for java charts though. :)

I have been using Big Charts for NZ stocks without problems so perhaps I should let you in on the method I use.

Instead of typing in NZ:TEL or whatever, type NZ:NZ:TEL

This does not take you straight to the chart but it takes you to a shortlist of stocks which ALWAYS gets you the chart (unlike other methods posted here which often do not work for me). Hope this helps

foodee
16-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Rotsevni
Thanks

limegreen
16-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Rotsevni, I owe you a beer (or other liquid of your preference!). I've been able to get most things on bigcharts, but there were a few stocks which just *would not* behave. Cheers!

Lizard
17-01-2006, 09:41 AM
That's great! I couldn't get any NZ charts on there at all before except index charts, so a real help. I don't suppose you have a way of finding ASX indices on there though? I just can't find those at all....

limegreen
17-01-2006, 10:37 AM
This is the code for the ASX 50
AU:1805204
Intuitive eh?
Mid cap 50
AU:1881282
S&P 200
AU:1867453

From their search page I enter the number ("50" or "200") in Australia/Stocks. The problem is if you enter something like ASX, it defaults to the ASX stock on some US exchange

Lizard
17-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks limegreen! You have no idea how many different searches I have tried to get bigcharts to spit those out! Very grateful :)

Snoopy
13-12-2006, 10:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by rotsevni

I have been using Big Charts for NZ stocks without problems so perhaps I should let you in on the method I use.

Instead of typing in NZ:TEL or whatever, type NZ:NZ:TEL

This does not take you straight to the chart but it takes you to a shortlist of stocks which ALWAYS gets you the chart (unlike other methods posted here which often do not work for me). Hope this helps

This doesn't work for me. Instead I have to do a global 'all' search on a name e.g. 'Telecom' and I get a list of global companies containing the word 'Telecom' in the title. One of these is Telecom NZ. I can then click that link and it works, at least for charts.

However, one thing I can't do for NZ shares is to get historical quotes using bigcharts historical quote facility. It works fine for US stocks but for NZ shares no dice. Anyone have any trick that will make this tool work for the NZ market?

TIA

SNOOPY

Snoopy
18-12-2006, 02:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by MoSteph

Use www.ft.com, nz:tel, and then analytical charts... it's the same engine as bigcharts...

Thanks MoSteph. That financial times site is a lot easier to use for non-US share issues than 'Bigcharts'.

Still my original question remains. Is it possible to get numerical historic quotes for NZ shares if you specify a single date off this site? My cursory examination of the options available suggests that one cannot, unlike 'Bigcharts'.

SNOOPY