PDA

View Full Version : MCP

naki
23-02-2004, 04:23 PM
MCP, anyone any idea why this stock has taken off in recent weeks-up another 8cents today

miner
23-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Because everyone wants to get into McPherson?:D[8D];).

pajama
23-02-2004, 07:15 PM
must admit i was wondering the same thing.
have held MCP for a couple of years on basis of reasonable yield and lowish PE. with recent rise in price this is no longer case. of course i sold 2/3 of holding a couple of weeks ago on basis PE getting too high and yield too low only to watch them rise. traditionally a steady performer, unsure as to why the sudden rise. profit annoucement soon i think, perhaps will be a stunner; someone thinks so anyway.

winner69
14-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Shareprice murdered lately and all way down to 60 cents .... no wonder a heavily discounted (-50% odd when announced) rights issue at 100 was cancelled

AGM today said things were looking quite promising this year and they expect earnings to be 25 cents so getting some around 80 cents today looks a good deal to me ...... but keep an eye on those charts and make sure tight stop losses are in place

mark100
11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
EPS expected to be up 10% for the FY. Trading on a forward PE of under 8. Yield will probably be around 7% FF

Joshuatree
16-09-2011, 04:37 PM
26c div this year ex div now,PE 9 div yield10.4 Managemnt confident divi repeatable great contrarian buy. Bought today

Joshuatree
18-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Down today to $2.08 ish on lower forecasts after a record year. Div ahead still looks great re 10% ish ,my guess. Print division could list sep and buy Opus to create a much larger co not all based on trad print. We will for better or worse ,receive shares in this new vehicle. Debt down to 28% and still great cash flows. Topped up today but who knows where the bottom is as people /inst bail ,hopefully overeacting:)

soulman
18-11-2011, 03:50 PM
I hope Phaedrus is not reading this. But each to their own.

drillfix
18-11-2011, 04:18 PM
LOL Soulman,

If Mr. P were to be reading these threads, he would have enough dirt on nearly everybody to run a guilt parade, including myself.

But then, as you say, each to their own, if you can trade and survive in these markets, then in a few years time when or if a reversal does come it will be like a walk through the candy shop (IMO).

So yes, each to their own, which also includes each of our methods or ways of just successfully survive. Or it is for me at least anyway.

Joshuatree
18-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Like your drift drillfix , successfully survive indeed ,just holding onto ones money a challenge in this wallowing mkt. Im holding and looking for more stocks that can pay a divvy thru the hard times and believe MCP can do this, i may catch a falling knife but today anyway the sp held around my contrarian buy. Hey soulman i think you need to dial an exorcist:t_up:

soulman
18-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Indeed Drill. I want to emulate P strategy as much as possible, hence I try not to buy downtrending stock. Also, with MCP, their debt level, even though decreasing, still a worrier for a business of MCP type. Also, just reading Phaedrus previous post, I reckon the man has made plenty of $$$ based on his wisdom and strategy.

Today's profit downgrade might be one of many to come but for your sake JT, I hope I am wrong.

Joshuatree
20-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Debt levels coming down significantly eg gearing 80% 2007 , 28 % today i like that and am comfortable with it,excellent reducing. 39c per share earnings, $51 million operating cashflow. "Retail spending has posted its biggest monthly growth in more than 2 years". Im building a long term stake in MCP i do very little trading but take your point re down trending . The whole market is very difficult and if MCP drops to say an 7-8 % divi its still a great defensive income stock , im not clever enough to pick a bottom.Thanks for "hoping Im wrong" but presuming youre right?:)

soulman
21-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah JT, if I thought MCP was a screaming buy, I would have bought a few.

Still, the share price has been factored in a downgrade of this magnitude but as I see it, this is the first profit downgrade and many could follow.

The demerger might see it through the tough times. I always want people to make a buck in the sharemarket (it is a tough game) so hopefully MCP div yield and PE ratio can support the price above $2.

I am watching MCP but as a general rule of mine, I don't try to pick bottoms as they are hard to locate.

Joshuatree
21-12-2012, 01:21 PM
A snapshot of re 1 year performance for me ;s/p up 20c plus divis 17c gross plus gain from selling my free opus shares 13.37 c share= re 50c a share .Share price re this time last year $1.80 today $2.00.

Joshuatree
19-02-2013, 10:07 AM
S/P today $2.36, eps down 6%. Half year div 10c. Welldone Mac.

steve fleming
18-06-2013, 09:39 PM
And another one time mid-cap high flyer to downgrade post close.

Would have expected a fair bit of this to be already reflected in the share price, but in the middle of tax loss season, the market is looking at any excuse to sell down.

soulman
01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Is there a value trap in MCP?

Current div yield of 11.5% FF, current PE of about 8, EPS at around 18 cps pre-amortisation. Share price closed at $1.47 today.

Future earnings can go down further but cost cutting should be the theme if business are slowing.

I am in for a few at current prices. Ex-div on the 2nd of Oct of 7 cents per share FF.

percy
01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
I would take care.
Consumer markets are difficult,and shareholders' equity of $168,922,000 does not look very good supporting $168,104,000 of intangibles.

Joshuatree
01-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Im still holding for divs but MCP isnt the steady Eddie it used to be. Losing margin and shelf space to large retailers own house brands. Has also bought a whiteware brand outside of its historical successful brands and there is more risk atp about whether this will be successful. Camden (a retired fund manager on H/C0 has removed it from his "Investment Grade Universe" and when he posts i take notice.

Joshuatree
23-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Ive gave up on this a while back . Milked lots of(ever decreasing) divs but i am down overall return wise. Until they prove their strategies and turnaround purchases and reverse years of decline in profitability,i soul man you're right,ts a value trap; been on a down trend for some time.