PDA

View Full Version : General Chit-Chat

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

arco
11-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Peat

Good to hear things are going better for you.
Yes its very quite here and with only 4 main posters
it does become slow sometimes.

I'm posting a bit on khalsapad-dot-com because its
simple to post charts, and there are some knowledgable
posters especially Elliot Wave.
Have a look and see what you think.
Xerof is also a member, although he hasnt posted
much lately.

By the way, I enjoy the fundamental info you are
posting from the Danes

regards
arco

Xerof
11-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Yes I can recommend Khalsas pad - the old names from Tactical Trader all post there. I haven't posted at all there myself - feel slightly out of my depth, such is the excellent quality of the likes of Arco, GWGann, tpbeaumont to name a few.

I have been away from the boards this week - my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last Sunday, so have spent 90% of this week in the paediatric ward at the hospital, with only the briefest of looks at the markets.

Anyway will be back into it by the middle of next week - hope some-one managed to make something out of my charts late last week

Xerof

BTW Peat, Max has indeed had an excellent run lately, and also pleased to see its been beneficial for you after a scratchy start

arco
12-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi Xerof

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughters problem, because I realise its sudden onset can be quite worrying. However, dont despair, my wifes grandmother has had diabeties from age 34 - she is now 94.

I'm sure your posts on Khalsa would be well accepted, you being a member of the 'A' (Butterfly) team.

arco

peat
14-11-2005, 10:03 PM
yeh sorry to hear about your daughter Xerof - I hope things get better

Danish daily is just seeing a pause at this stage :

Well - the last couple of trading days market participants have
had to muster an impressive amount of patience when trying to
get to grips with the lacklustre EUR/USD. All of a sudden the
previous momentum has vanished into thin air leaving most of
the market in the blind as to the next move of the dollar. All in
all this dollar doldrums might turn out to be the best outcome
in the end. The lastest drop in EUR/USD was pretty fierceful
leading to a technically oversold cross, which is now in the
making of being corrected. As long as 118.15-30 continues to lay
a lid on further advances to the upside hopes are high that the
EUR/USD right now is doing nothing but pausing before the
next step lower will set in. Only a retreat to areas above 119.50
will abolish the pause and open up for another upside
correction. To the downside the latest bottom of 116.70 contains
further weakness and a break here will open up for the next
area of strong support around 115.90-116.00. The longer
EUR/USD stays trapped in the present deadlock the more likely
will a continued drop of the cross probably be. In that case we
should begin to foresee a drop expanding further than the
originally expected 116 area. I do, however, still intend to close
my sold tactical position at 116 and then place a trailing stop
order for my strategic position in order to make the most of a
continued slide. A slide that at best could take EUR/USD to
113.75 before another correction sets in. Hence bottomline right
now should be that USD is only pausing in the midst of its
remarkable uptrend against the EUR. An uptrend that will
expand further most likely well into the new year of 2006.
Recommendations :
Stick with your bought
dollar positions and
remember that cheap dollars
are attainable in NZD/USD
and USD/CAD.

Xerof
15-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Cheers guys, she's doing just fine

A nice flag forming on the hourly chart EUR.USD for a further venture south? (perhaps after the usual short squeeze prior to London open...)

Xerof

peat
15-11-2005, 10:42 PM
yeh y'day i managed to buy back at 1.1700 and go short again at 1740 and will hold again o'nite.
at some stage there will be a surprise tho... there generally is.

my long USD/Cad is hangin in there too
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6642/19m3mu.jpg

Xerof
15-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Is that your granddaughter Peat:D:D

peat
16-11-2005, 12:27 AM
its Jodie Foster from the movie Flightplan and I've now updated link to make that more obvious you smart ass Xerof ;)
She was born about a year after me in fact

http://imdb.com/title/tt0408790/

Yes its a bit random but thats how things go

looks like the downside break is asserting itself for Eur. [^]

peat
17-11-2005, 01:41 PM
time to change direction ;)

arco
17-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi All

Peat you mean like this

http://www.khalsaspad.com/files/eurgann111405_973.gif

Posted on Khalsa a few days ago.
Sorry about the bilious colour

GTA - arco

peat
17-11-2005, 06:51 PM
yeh somewhere around there I guess -
long on Eur from 1671 now
and same with kiwi from 0.6843

i havent made it to Khalsa yet... TRL is giving me good stuff to work with, and given my reduced equity cant hold too many positions open. But am slowly clawing my way back

and yeh, I'm glad I'm wearin my shades , did you squeeze a pimple [V]

peat
19-11-2005, 11:32 AM
whipsaw Friday hmmmm not easy ....

i been thinkin that a platform with stop triggered by time frame close would be dammmmm useful. could result in some unpredictable results tho

anyone heard of this.

peat
05-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Danish Daily

Something is definitely cooking in the financial market place right now.
Take a look at the dollar, which is holding up fine against the majors
like EUR and not least the JPY. But that's about it. The other dollar
crosses are being slammed as is the dollar against gold. High yielding
currencies like AUD, NZD, ZAR, MXN - you name them - are all
spiking to new highs. The only kind of explanation I can see is A. that
market participants are in the making of revising their expectations as
to the future of the rate hike cycle in the US, meaning that they do not
fear a continued row of further rate hikes. Or B. that they are focussed
on an improving growth outlook in the US relying on the latest better
than expected economic figures from the US. Whether A or B is the
right explanation or not, people are scrambling to put on further risk
despite the risk of deteriorating global liquidity in case FED, ECB and
other central bank colleagues continue their efforts to control the
liquidity overhang they constantly warn us all about. For what it is
worth - the market participants are not paying any attention at all - for
the moment that is.
As a consequence of the above I have this morning been pressured into
taking stop loss on my tactical positions in both USD/CAD,
NZD/USD, AUD/USD, leaving me with only 50% bought positions in
all three crosses. My disbelief in the ongoing development described
above does, however, continue to haunt me. I clearly feel that the
present financial trend is going to play havoc with the risk seeking
financial acteurs. Just imagine what would happen, should the FED
turn off liquidity more than expected now! We could quickly have an
emergency financial situation on our hands instead.

peat
06-12-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm now out of my long kiwi +79 and short Eur , currently +10
might try a short Ozzie tonite too.... but we will see.

Xerof
07-12-2005, 01:46 PM
quote:Xerof said 21/10 - needs some sort of trigger to turn it back down - a Standard and Poors credit downgrade would assist

quote:7/12 - N.Z. Record Current Account Gap Threatens AA+ Rating, S&P Says. New Zealand's ``unsustainable'' current account deficit is a threat to the outlook for the nation's AA+ foreign currency credit rating. ``The stable outlook on the rating reflects Standard & Poor's expectation that current account deficit will return to historic levels,'' S&P said in a statement.

too late for my recent trades, but might start a landslide in thin December markets......parabolic rallies usually end in tears, firstly for those shorted on the way up, then for those who caused it in the first place

Not many seem to have taken much notice of the second sentence - that the rating is unchanged....

where's the door............

Xerof

peat
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
good to see u on the FF xerof!

I raced home to ensure my SL was taken and yes it was....
so thats ok ....

zyreon
07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
lol

u think the OCR review will keep it up?
(or slow it down!)

might be a repeat of march/april when it touched 74 then dropped like a stone, esp with Fed next wednesday

Xerof
07-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Z

IMO,

Bollard will hike, maybe 50, remain hawkish, and repeat his latest mantra that we need a reduction in CA, which he believes needs to come from a lower currency (aid exports) and higher rates (slow domestic consumption).

I think we all believe that, but of course almost impossible to achieve. An actual credit downgrade would ironically be of great assistance as it would stop Iridashi's in their tracks, might encourage hedging out of existing issues, and would certainly raise the cost of borrowing for all NZer's, incl the state.

Todays news will surely cause a bit of apprehension, but may well be overtaken by tomorrows......

Xerof

peat
09-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Its a bit late to post this now, being almost after the event but both Lone Olesen from Jyske Bank (9PM NZT )and Jack Crooks (1 AM NZT )from BlackSwantrading became dollar bearish last night eyeing a correction in the Euro. Max had been touting 1.1840 for some time.
Jack also sees the US stockmarket as having peaked for a while.

peat
20-12-2005, 11:48 PM
compliments of the silly season to all the forex people. !

arco
21-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks Peat

I'm off tomorrow for 2 weeks holiday, so Happy Christmas and best wishes for the new (trading) year to the merry band.

.............(not forgetting the lurkers :)).

arco

Xerof
21-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes, all the best to everyone. Safe holidays and look forward to a great trading year next year.

See y'all in the new year

regards

Xerof

slam
22-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Just like to say thanks people.
I like the "no crap" aspect of this form and it's all down to good informative posts by the main 3;) You know who you are.
Learnt more in a year that I have in many

Hope Santa's nice to you all.
Have a safe and over the top one everyone,
with next year to look forward to. What will it bring[:p]

Cheers
Slam

miner
24-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi chaps merry Xmas and all the best for the new year,as Slam has said a great if small bunch of posters on this forum(bit hard to ramp FX)[:0];).

Busy with other stuff at the mo but will be back into FX mid next year,bet you all cant wait hehe;),yeah right[:o)][|)][B)].

Cheers
Miner

Xerof
09-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Happy New Year to all - trust everyone is refreshed and ready for a prosperous 2006.

I'll probably let another week go by without doing too much - the first week released a relatively easy couple of hundred pips, by going with the range breaks on Tuesday night, and this week may give better clues as to whether this is the usual New Year false move or for real.

Looking for the butterflies, bats, crabs, spiders and anything else that goes bump in the night, as well as messrs Gartley and Gann to provide the clues...

regards

Xerof

peat
12-01-2006, 11:40 AM
my intent this year is to run with tighter stops and accept losses of 20-35 pips. Not doing that last year was what undid me. You can always get in again if the first attempt goes against you but you;re confident of direction. Taking even a couple of hits of that magnitude doesnt blow the account <bangs head>
Demo has been good so far using this principle, with profits racking up on my Oanda trial system.
As shown by my new thread , I'm prepared to try some new pairs as well...
quite looking forward to this year, Max's recommendations have been a good basis for trading , I'm gonna work with what he says and a few others.
Good luck and good trading to you guys. Hopefully we can keep this place slightly alive... bit of a tumbleweed town here at the moment.

Xerof
12-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah Max has been running red hot lately Peat - some truely inspired calls. Pleased to see you're still hangin' in with him after the rocky start... are you now a paying subscriber?

Xerof

peat
12-01-2006, 01:48 PM
yeh we settled our differences (hes quite a gruff guy to deal with tho) and I paid up till end of May.... Having had several months of his stuff now I can see he is worth it. And I learn by seeing his strategies. He always tries to get a bargain which is of course a good idea, tho this means that if you do exactly what he says sometime you will miss out on successul trades even tho he gets the direction right, so I often enter in with a little trade and then buy/sell more when it reaches his entry points to average closer.

I was looking forward to this weeks forecasts and now hes gone on hols again lol tho so just working with his last email and its med term directions

But yeh my demo a/c is flying with what I've been doing with his stuff so will try and make some actual cf virtual dollars from now. Wasnt that keen on trading too much over the illiquid period tho that reasoning is a bit flawed actually.

In demo I've been practicing setting up the trade with s/l and t/p set at the time of entry and then walking away from it emotionally. It wins or it loses and no point in sleepless nights is the new motto. Not so easy when its real but thats the plan.

Xerof
12-01-2006, 03:26 PM
You're on to it Peat - when he says ' support around...' etc, you could possibly get one lot on 15 to 20 pips higher, then add more if it actually does go down to his stated level, otherwise often miss out entirely. Left feeling a bit like the baby when the wet nurse has a day off......

Xerof

Xerof
03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Guys (and any lurking gals)

Non Farm Payrolls tonight - hopefully we might get out of the chop next week....

Xerof

I won't post a chart, but potential gartley/butterfly on GBP 4H chart, heading north for point D - fairly recognisable

post NFP update - now unrecognisable [xx(][xx(]

peat
08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Note for all.... I blew my account [B)] so all trading is demo (which does give me a certain lattitude, but I'm seriously trying to take it seriously)

Eur$ is fricken killin me , always taking out stops. There are a lot more down days than up ones recently , only trade recently to work has been a short..... so maybe I should play that direction more.

Eur/£ tho , working fine - took it all the way to 68 then reversed and now up 33 again.

Xerof
08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Peat,

stick with it, every day something new is learned, and on demo it's free learning

regards

Xerof

peat
09-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Would folks here post their current open positions on a regular basis?

Xerof
09-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Peat,

you can take it as read that anything I post by way of a chart with some form of commentary means I have usually (but not always) taken a position based around that. Some posts endeavour to get other feedback/confirmation of right view/serious holes in view and so on.

I'm too modest, and currently too inactive anyway (just really starting to get back into it seriously) to run a traders log :D:D

You'll get the drift from what happens subsequent to the posts, but I'll try to remember to put entries, t/p and s/l levels

Xerof

arco
09-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Peat

Sorry to hear about the account.

I'm currently day trading/scalping the EUR, so quite hard to put the trades up in real time.

Regards - arco

peat
09-02-2006, 09:15 PM
and I thought you loathed scalpers arco hehehe...

well heres my current state, but yeh it changes a bit too...

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4882/200602092100b4rq.jpg

closed out on the long Eur/GBP at .6872, looking for it to show direction from here.

arco
09-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi Peat

Not sure if I ever said that, did I? :D

The scalper is an individual who makes dozens or hundreds of trades per day, trying to "scalp" a small profit from each trade.

The system I'm trading targets 10-50 pips per trade, with maybe only 2 or 3 trades a day.

So technically its probably not a true scalping strategy.

arco

Xerof
10-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Peat, housework for you - scale your images to 60% before going to Imageshack, and when you get the url from the Imageshack upload, edit the bits off the front and back (the bits still showing on your post above) That'll keep the screen size tidy ;);) There's a good lad [8D]

Arco, good adaptation to non-trending markets. I guess (hope) you're still monitoring Monarch 1 in the unlikely event we begin trending.....we're due for one.....

Are you playing all the butterflies on 15 minute charts??

There's a very good scalpers formula over at www.strategybuilderfx.com in the Trading Methods and Strategies section of the forum, called Stratoblaster.

Its very profitable (now I have your attention:D:D) if you can be bothered trading the NYK session, and follow the strategy diligently, which means screen watching for hours unfortunately, and probably, being realistic, moving to the Carribean.

But then, whats wrong with that[:p][:p]

Xerof

Xerof
10-02-2006, 12:05 AM
BTW, BIS, the CB's CB was a big buyer of cable under 1.7390 I'm hearing....

Xerof

peat
10-02-2006, 06:47 AM
edited for troof (and size)
so not much has panned out over nite huh - scalping would indeed seem to be a necessity at times....

added another kiwi short as it approached 68

arco
10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Morning All

Xerof.
Yes 'scalping' Butterflies on 15m (and occasionally 5m).

Monarch 1 EUR gave a bullish signal on 12 Jan,
which would have netted getting on for 300 pips if taken.
However the current signal is not clear with several conficts
at the moment.

arco

arco
10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Xerof

Which thread on Strategy Builder ??

.........also anyone know which broker this is

http://www.trading-strategies.info/alpha/photos/comp.png

arco

Xerof
10-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Arco, greetings

http://www.strategybuilderfx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15865

you may have to be registered first though to access - not sure, but its all free including the download of the SBFX demo platform (metatrader)

Don't know who that broker is, but like the results[^][^]

peat
11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
things came right over night and a magical long on Eur/Nok just before it spiked 700 pips

http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/9936/2006021109000wc.jpg

peat
14-02-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm mainly playing the dollar long side of things and pickin up things here and there....
closed my kiwi and Eur shorts now all for reasonable pips...
tho my USD/JPY is out of the money.... holdin and hopin at this stage
Eur/Nok went even higher so thats sweet , took some profits left some on the table....
(all demo)

peat
15-02-2006, 12:01 AM
closed out on the Eur Nok at 8.13 (while out having Valentines dinner) and bailed on the JPY...
all contracts closed - pretty sweet with that.

Xerof
15-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Oh, was it Valentines Day yesterday - I'll have to have a very terse word with Mrs Xerof
- she didn't buy me any chocolates :D:D

peat
23-03-2006, 07:59 PM
its Elliotwave.com free week...
not that I'm finding much specifically on fx.

Lots of doom and gloom for that Mr D. Jones bloke tho

miner
29-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi chaps hope your all making lots of the green stuff playing FX,do any of you have any thoughts on our dollar against the pound? and where it is heading,back to where it seemed to sit for years around 33c to the pound?.

Cheers
Miner

Dazza
29-03-2006, 10:25 PM
hey question for all u NZD/USD watchers out there,

im wondereing what time of the week, hour, etc, is the most active in price movements is?

Regards,
Dazza
FX Training
is it during day time 10-5 weekdays when the nzx is open ? or at nite? or ?

miner
29-03-2006, 11:04 PM
When the yanks start there day,but also used to find when they close could be good(better also as our morning,and same for the poms,again for our time,when they wake up,which used to be right about when i was trying to make dinner at 100 MPH so as not to miss anything,although the above was for usd/chf,usd/jpy,eur/jpy and eur/usd.

http://aboutforex.com/clocks.html

Cheers
Miner

Dazza
29-03-2006, 11:48 PM
miner, could u say that in relevence to NZ time?

so thats 10pm - britain market opens, 3am the yanks markets open?

Xerof
30-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Dazza, no currently London opens around 7pm NZ time, and US around 1.00 am NZ time, but there's a lot of DST changes happening at the moment...lol

Xerof

miner
30-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Dazza not been playing FX for a while as been busy with other stuff(will be back into it in the soonish though)one of the things I was working on though when last playing was times to watch, as well it pays to get some sleep;).

Anyway roughly between(our time) 7am-8am and 5pm-6pm were good times to watch,and also coming into the close of the hourly candles,say start watching 10min before to 10min after,for trades but also for good entry's for a slightly longer hold.

The idea was cut down the screen time,when I get back into FX I will be working on this time thing so if? you want can let you know how I get on.

Best of luck with FX,a tad faster than shares ay.

Cheers
Miner

Dazza
30-03-2006, 09:55 PM
mmm true thanks heaps miner, ill keep that in mind, all i need now is where to get fundamental info etc etc.

miner
30-03-2006, 10:04 PM
OOp's forgot to say with the hourly one, the reason was that often they well run into the hour,sort of like a share can run into the close of trade,so if a pair is going a certain way(green or red) coming into the hour the momentum can speed up into the close of that candle.

So if you get it right you can jump on for say the last 5-10 min for a quick 20+ pips,sell go do something else back to watch the next hour,or if holding watch next hourly close to decide what to do.

Hope that made some sense.

Cheers
Miner

Dazza
01-04-2006, 06:02 PM
btw whats the trading times of the fx?

is it nzl time that is, monday 10am, till saturday 9am?

peat
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dazza

btw whats the trading times of the fx?

is it nzl time that is, monday 10am, till saturday 9am?

thats the week within an hour or two.

Dazza
05-04-2006, 12:48 AM
at fxstreet.com

there is some fxaffiliate program?
anyone joined? free money?

sounds too good to be true?

Xerof
05-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Dazza, lol, yes....

nothing beats being self taught...no free lunches in FX, except the sound advice given here of course;);)

Xerof

arco
12-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Time for some insider trading [:0]

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/04/11/insiders.reut/index.html

peat
12-04-2006, 08:31 PM
theres a strong argument that insider trading shouldnt be illegal. In fact insiders alter the price pattern just like any other trader thus demonstrating their views for all to see.

peat
14-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I thought this was an interesting analysis of Iceland with an obvious comparison to NZ

Overnight report
Man from Mars
Tim Drayson ABN AMRO
Imagine arriving from another planet equipped with a MSc in
economics. You are asked to assess the outlook for
government bonds in different countries. How would you
react when presented with the following: Over the last five
years, this country has seen its exchange rate appreciate
around 40%, yet inflation has risen above the central bank’s
target. The money supply has doubled, the equity market
has risen six fold and house prices have soared. Whole
economy debt outstanding has risen by 100% to 350% of
GDP. Finally, the current-account has gone from balance to
a deficit of 20% of GDP. Would you buy this country’s
bonds? Of course not. I should tell you this is Iceland, but
this could apply in future to other countries which are
currently using asset price inflation to fuel growth.
The OECD estimates that Iceland has a positive output gap of
around 3%. There is virtually no unemployment and wage
growth is accelerating. 2005 saw a domestic demand boom
with huge gains in household wealth leading to a surge in
consumption. Large-scale energy investments have boosted
demand further. Without the severe deterioration in net
exports, GDP (which grew by around 6% in 2005) would have
been even stronger. The 10% of GDP trade deficit is adding to
Iceland’s external debt. Not surprisingly, the income balance is
also deteriorating rapidly as interest and dividend payments on
foreign debt are increasing.
The Sedlabanki (Iceland’s central bank) raised rates from 5.3%
in early 2004 to 10.5% by the end of 2005, in an attempt to
cool the economy. But this only encouraged the carry traders
and led to a further appreciation of the exchange rate and wild
asset price inflation. But the economy is now starting to
unravel. This year the exchange rate has fallen around 15%
against the dollar. This is adding to inflationary pressures.
Inflation rose to 5.5% yoy in April from 4.5% yoy in March. 5-yr
bond yields have spiked 300bp since early March. The
Sedlabanki has hiked rates another 100bp this year and the
central bank governor said last week that rates might have to
rise to 16% to contain inflation.
Iceland seems certain to endure a period of below trend
growth. The question is whether it can avoid a full-scale
financial crisis while the imbalances unwind. The most likely
channel for a crisis is the household sector. Their debt is
almost 200% of disposable income and mortgage payments
are linked to inflation. A sharp drop in the currency could boost
inflation and cause severe debt-servicing problems. Iceland is
too small to have any direct impact on other markets, but
contagion could emerge if investors sense similar problems in
other countries with large current-account deficits. I would stay
clear of currencies and bonds in the following countries:
Australia, Hungary, New Zealand, Spain, Turkey, the UK and
the US.

arco
21-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Aus debt free from today................

Australia's Government will today eliminate its net debt, which stood at A$96 billion ($113 billion) a decade ago, says Treasurer Peter Costello.

"It is the day we pay off the mortgage," Costello said in a speech in Sydney. "From tomorrow, our Government will no longer be a net borrower. In fact, from tomorrow we will start to save."

Prime Minister John Howard's Government has used budget surpluses to eliminate its debt, which peaked at 18.5 per cent of gross domestic product under the previous Labor Government.

By comparison, net government debt in the US was 47.2 per cent of GDP and 41.1 per cent in Britain, Costello said.

The Australian Government will contribute future budget surpluses to a so-called Future Fund. It is planned the investment fund will grow to A$140 billion by 2020 to cover the Government's pension liabilities for politicians, public servants and defence workers.

The budget, which is forecast to record an A$11.5 billion surplus for the year ending June 30, will be released on May 9.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=10378270

peat
21-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Thats Govt debt tho , not trade deficit right?
So how is NZ on the same measurement ?
I am of the unsure opinion that our Govt runs a surplus and is in the black as well.

Does govt debt relate to forex at all. isnt it more like internal debt so doesnt really impact the currency (except indirectly maybe thru interest rates)

I guess I'm just thinkin that its really trade balances that matter more altho we all know they are not really a useful indicator on a short or even medium term basis.

peat
25-04-2006, 04:53 PM
I've just bought this
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0735200661.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
And am finding the point and figure charts interesting. My software only does the 3 line break tho , which is similar enough... so am familiarizing with this type of representation. I'm thinking it gives quite clear indications tho of course lags.

arco
26-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Peat
I think you will enjoy that book.

Now...............WHERES our pal XEROF ????

Come on back Xerof - all is forgiven. We miss you in the
Butterfly house.

arco

Xerof
26-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Arco, greetings!!! and greetings also to Peat and Slam (I was down your way for easter and the week after slam - must say Christchurch put on a fantastic spell of weather)

I am still alive and well, and apologies for having yet another false start at posting on a regular basis.

I am at the sharp end of getting my 'fund' established, and this is taking a huge amount of my time at the moment. Should be up and running within two weeks, and once I get into the drivers seat full time again....LOOK OUT:D:D

Xerof

slam
26-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi Xerof
Yes, Christchurch can turn it on at times.
Always a beer in the fridge if you are ever down this way, and a shandy for Mrs Xerof and Mrs Slam;)

Just had my second Grandson Today:D (well I didn't actually have him) So a few fantas for dinner

Cheers
Slam

peat
26-04-2006, 07:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by arco

Hi Peat
I think you will enjoy that book.

yeh hopefully it will take me to 20000ft

quote:the shadows of the clouds throw doubt across the land
you cannot always see the truth from where you stand
from 20000 ft everything is clear

arco
26-04-2006, 09:35 PM

been looking for a place to be and now i'm here

my fellow travellers don't feel the way i feel
they're reading books and drinking wine and making deals
at 20000 ft suspended in thin air
a world without them turns below and they don't care

but i can't escape the glory of this view
and somewhere in that teeming stillness must be you
but at 20000 ft my cold heart makes no sound
and if i had the chance i'd never come back down

http://www.arco.ndirect.co.uk/images/ch4.gif

peat
28-04-2006, 08:13 AM
[V][B)] a frustrating night it seems. with $shorts against Eur and Yen getting stopped out by that counter-trend spike just before the real movements . disappointing...the Yen has moved a long way now and I havent really managed to capitalise on it even tho I'd been foreseeing it

peat
04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
have you got broadband yet arco? ;)

arco
04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi Peat

Yes, its a long story, but in the end
Telecom discovered a way to bring me
into the year 2006.

Things are much easier now.

regards - arco

arco
11-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi All

I'm tripping off for a few weeks, and although
I will be working from the lap-top posting may
be a bit sporadic, or even non-existant [8D].

GTA

regards - arco

willy the plunger
11-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Your Help Please Anyone

What time does each forex session start in their local time zone and converted to NZ time.

Also, bearing in mind the daylight saving changes that occur in each country, is there a site where this information is readily available.

Session times needed.

ASIAN

LONDON

NEW YORK

Cheers

WTP

Xerof
12-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Willy,

there's no specific times for each centre to start or stop, most centres work an 8am till 5pm day, with overlap between centres

So typically Australasia opens the week at 7.30/8am Mondays NZ time, Asian centres enter around 12 noon NZ time, London enters around 7.30pm NZ time and New York enter around midnight/12.30 NZ time, and around it goes until NYK close around 10 am Saturday morning NZ time

Daylight saving adjustments cause this to change by one and two hours

Use www.qlock.com to set up times for the centres you want to know the time in - they adjust for all changes in daylight saving automatically

Xerof

willy the plunger
12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Mr Xerof

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers
WTP

peat
12-05-2006, 04:15 PM
I reckon heaps of forex traders work 12 or more hours a day, so I would say dividing it strictly into 3x8 hour zones may not be that useful. I saw a post on the global view forum a while back where some guy reckoned he found it useful to think in zone terms and he had strategy that took those into account, so i searched the archives and found it for you

[quote]quote:london b.s 09:37 GMT March 17, 2006
The following is a time of day timeline(no pun intended) which will help you over the course of your forex trading. Please note that the times posted are EST and that you should give yourself some leeway with regards to the length of time of the period.

I have divided the day into three distinct zones.

Red zones are more dangerous, volatility can be extreme and caution should be exercised and position size should be significantly reduced. As you gain more experience you will see that this timezone can lead to profitable trading but caution should be of the utmost importance.

Yellow zones are periods during the day when market usually pause or reverse.

Green zones represents market activity which tends to follow more consistent patterns.

The following times are EST and since the Forex trading day is basically 24/5 it is not surprising to notice that the day can be rather long.

Yellow zone
7 a.m. This is the period when the first major European money centers start coming in and market activity starts picking up.

Red zone
8 a.m to 8:30 a.m. During this time London traders start coming in and orders are being received and placed based on the overnight Asian session (session is from 7 pm to 2 am and is most active between 8-11 pm EST)

Green zone
8:30 am to 9:45 am During this period most orders have been filled and cleared patterns emerge with less volatility

Yellow zone 9:45 am to 1 pm
11 am to 12 am is usually very quiet and London traders are awaiting the arrival of new york based traders. Barring any special circumstances markets will stay sideways.

Green zone
1 pm to 13:20 pm. Market activity will pick up and some position squaring will occur with London heading for lunch except on days when US economic numbers are released.
1:20 pm to 1:30 is usually very quiet. Bond markets have opened during this period also.

RED ZONE!!!!!!
1:30 pm to 1:50 pm. This can be an extremely dangerous!!! time of day when Economic news release have been published, I have to discourage trading during this time although it is imperative to observe this period in order to look for potential reversal setups.

Yellow zone 1:50 pm to 2:40 pm. Usually reversals occur during this period following news releases and opportunities present themselves.

2:40 am to 3:10 pm can be interesting also because of certain numbers released at 2:45 (Michigan consumer sentiment survey numbers) and 10am(Consumer confidence, national association of purchasing managers index etc…) which are all important news releases. Trading can get be choppy and caution is advised for less experienced traders.

Green zone
3:10 apm to 3:50 pm Good opportunities do present themselves during this period and liquidity is very good.

Red/Yellow zone 3:50 pm to 4:45 pm is the time of day when London traders are usually reducing their positions and reversals are frequent and are predictable for the seasoned trader.

Yellow zone 4:45 am to 6:30 pm market is usually quiet at this time and scalping opportunities abound, ranges tend to be narrower and liquidity is somewhat reduced.

Green zone 6:30 pm to 7.50 pm, continuation patterns identified on 1 and 4 hour charts usually are prevalent. Good time usually to make some lower risk/higher probability trades.

7:50 to 10:10 pm Currency futures as well as bond futures close at 8 pm and reversals and choppiness can be observed. Newbies should size down during this time of the day.

Greenzone 8:10 to 9:00 pm Market squaring up for New York, time to take profits or reduce losing po

willy the plunger
12-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Mr Peat

Thank you for your thoughtfulness, it looks like the information could be of immense help to me.

I will overlay the timelines on intraday charts and play around with the red, yellow, green time zones.

WTP

peat
16-05-2006, 06:48 PM
lots of talk about imbalances and volatility increases, and emerging market risk becoming more evident...
I cant help but think that NZD is very suceptible to 'flight to safety' behaviour.

BackOffice
20-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Closed all by Gold trades Thursday.
Closed all by currency trades Friday.

Everything seems to be falling out of their trends with the USD firming against GBP and JPY.

Any comments[?]

peat
21-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm of the opinion that USD will correct.... but it will test 109 and 130 again at some stage kind of soon.

peat
30-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Pringy - re 144,169 ema
do see an enormous amount of support resistance in this narrow tunnel!

peat
30-05-2006, 02:49 PM
and in case anyones interested we have a number of breakouts right now on the 'tunnel method'

Aud/Usd crossed over upwards y'day but pulled back downwards this arvo before scurrying back through which now looks like a clear break...
Eur/Usd has also broken through on the upside
Usd/Jpy and USD/Chf are about to by the look of it

pringy
30-05-2006, 09:07 PM
To stay true with Fibonacci, I'm actually using MA 233, seems to have a better correlation.

But we aren't out of the chop-chop zone yet.. it will need to break through the first 89 pip from the tunnel..

peat
31-05-2006, 10:39 AM
you mean your tunnel is between 144 and 233 ?

pringy
31-05-2006, 05:55 PM
No, my tunnel is just 233 by itself. Well, plus minus 5 pips to give an impression of a tunnel :P

peat
31-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh OK! the two given emas create quite a narrow tunnel so its really just a form of MACD I guess
233 will give you fewer signals, but less whipping.
I'm enjoying working this tunnelmethod in demo but as usual its all about the filters.

pringy
31-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Indeed, it correlates very well with a 4 hour MACD on default values.

Filters filters... let me know if you find a good one :P

So far, I've just sort of looked at the behaviour historically, and after a long run on one side of the tunnel, a cross to the other side often results in some chop-chop.

Additionally, 233 pips away from the tunnel is pretty much as far as the EURUSD can go!

I also find MA32 good as stoploss supports, and MA55 for choppy situations. (Fibonacci numbers!)

But essentially, these are all lagging indicators..

Peat.. are you any good with Elliot Waves?

peat
05-06-2006, 06:57 PM
pringy , no i havent been ever been able to convert my reading of elliot wave theory into workable wave analysis unfortunately.

I sent an email to the dude (vegas) who wrote that tunnel analysis tho, and he has replied.

pringy
05-06-2006, 08:54 PM
ohh.. what was your question, and what did he say?

peat
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
i just wanted some clarity on where to calculate the fibs from , ie the break thru point, or the changing level at the midpoint of the tunnel. Guess its obvious , but he confirmed that its from the changing ema tunnel.
But perhaps more importantly it means theres a contact point for any other discussion/questions.

peat
06-06-2006, 09:26 PM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1050/riskycountries1pm.jpg

peat
08-06-2006, 07:04 PM
http://www.mactavishland.ca/pictures/tumbleweed.jpg

Xerof
09-06-2006, 03:15 PM
LMAO :D:D

soon!!

Xerof - missing in action

arco
09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Peat

Is that Christchurch?

arco - (on his travels)

arco
09-06-2006, 05:07 PM
HAVELOCK NORTH

http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/0/r/K/tumbleweeds01.jpg

Xerof
10-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Cheeky....

It looks a bit like your street, Arco - Have you not cleared your mail? Telecom have just dug up your internet connection cables - thats them in the middle of the picture.

regards

Xerof

arco
10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Morning Xerof

You were certainly burning the midnight oil.....3.45 am

I am in deepest QLD and its bush telegraph here :D

Crikey - arco

Xerof
11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Yes, I certainly was - some of my shorter term indicators were verging on a reversal of this weeks action, so I hunkered down and waited, but alas, it proved not to be. Maybe next week....maybe not

regards

Xerof

peat
12-06-2006, 07:39 PM
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/malevich/sup/malevich.black-square.jpg

peat
12-06-2006, 07:41 PM
auckland trading was a little black this morning.

arco
13-06-2006, 12:25 AM
No such problems here.......trading as usual in full sun and 21 C [8D]

http://www.sunshinecoast.au.nu/images/Mooloolaba/MooBeach01.JPG

arco

peat
13-06-2006, 12:04 PM
the sunshine coast huh
well yeh would be nice this time of year.... my folks live over there ... I'll be visting them for Xmas - prolly be too hot for me then tho.

arco
19-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Yep Peat - its a wonderful spot to escape the NZ winter.

Havin fun here with my golfing buddies............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/arcoshares/PeepingKangaroos1.jpg

arco - basking in 23 C

peat
21-06-2006, 01:57 PM
lol arco..... dont let one of those roos run away with your ball in its pouch!

got an email article today from stratfor.com re china , unfortunately cant link to the article on da web coz its premium (i.e requires money) tho they do send out emails containing some of their articles for free. I fully recommend joining for as much of their free stuff (and more if you have the cash) as you can get if you have any interest in geopolitical analysis. I assure you its top notch stuff
so I will quote a few paragraphs for your delight and delectation

[quote]quote:The Chinese government is continuing efforts to cope with its runaway economy. The People's Bank of China has raised interest rates. Banks have been told to curb lending. The government has said that it will implement procedures to rein in foreign acquisitions at low prices -- or, in other words, to block fire-sales of Chinese companies. As a recent headline in the Japan Times put it, "China's Monetary Surge Dooms Its Boom."

A lot of things have gone into dooming China's boom, and the money surge is one of the more immediate problems. However, as we have argued (and this article should be read in the context of past analyses), the end of the Chinese boom was inevitable. The issue now is how all of this will play out in China and in the world.

What must be understood is that China now is moving from an economic problem to a socio-political one. The financial problem is a symptom; the fundamental problem is that tremendous irrationality has been built into the Chinese economy. Enterprises that are not economically viable continue to function through infusions of cash. Some of the cash comes from borrowing, some by exporting at economically unsustainable prices. The result is a squandering of resources. The reasons that this continues have nothing to do with economic rationalism and everything to do with political and social reality.

If interest rates were to rise and lending were to become disciplined, many of China's enterprises would fail. This would bring several consequences.

First, and most important, it would result in a massive increase in unemployment. At this point, the irrationality has been going on for years. It is not only state-owned enterprises that are economically unsustainable; many newer enterprises, including those in which Western companies have invested, are not succeeding

China's Likely Path

Asia has been here before. Japan encountered this problem around 1990, and East and Southeast Asia encountered it in 1997. Roughly three models for dealing with the problem exist:

Japan model: Use reserves and formal and informal measures to avoid actions that would trigger massive bankruptcies and unemployment. Accept economic stagnation for the better part of a generation.

South Korea model: Move rapidly to restructure the economy, using economic and political means. Control social unrest with security measures. Move out of the problem in a matter of years.

Indonesia model: Lacking resources to manage the crisis, suffer both financial dysfunction and political strife among the elite and between regions.

Japan was able to do what it did because it is a highly disciplined, cohesive society, in which shared pain is viewed as preferable to social dislocation. South Korea was able to do what it did because the magnitude of its crisis was relatively less than Japan's, and because the state had the means for suppressing unhappiness. Indonesia failed to do what it needed to do because it lacked resources and political power.

As for the effects on the international economy, there has been a great deal of discussion about China's ownership of U.S. Treasury instruments and the consequences if that money were withdrawn in a crisis. In fact, this is the last thing that is going to happen. If China has a massive financial crisis, no one -- including the Chinese government -- is going to

arco
21-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Peat

Interesting - thanks.

How do you find this site helps with your trading decisions?

Regards - arco

peat
22-06-2006, 07:54 AM
you always ask hard questions arco!
in general it wouldnt help trading except perhaps broaden a fundamentals type understanding I suppose, but since you and I tend to trade technically it would just be classed as peripheral knowledge I guess.
I enjoy their analysis simply for its quality really, but the reason I posted this particular one was because it analyses how an economy might escape a boom/bust crisis and because it argues that money actually flows INTO the US when these crises have occurred in the past. And it debunks the notion that China will withdraw its US investment if and when a crisis occurs.

I have noticed that your 3 recent posted graphs all predict USD strength. This goes against most of the other analyses I've been reading eg Jyske and of course the general feeling that USD must weaken considerably in an effort to redress global economic imbalances. I'm thinking thats very contrarian of you ;+) (which of course ties in with your old signature)

Xerof
24-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Here's a nice one which is in line with the Arco moneymaking machines perspectives.....but look at the bigger picture for later in the hunting season........

http://www.e-wavecharts.com/usd_may2006.htm

Xerof

arco
24-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Morning All from QLD

Thanks Xerof

Re the posted link. Try adding a hash after the htm, I think thats the problem.

Regards - arco

Xerof
24-06-2006, 02:19 PM
sorry, try this site and its the article on USDIndex dated May 7th

http://www.ewavecharts.com/

miner
24-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Well chaps put a CD on and fired up the screens for the first time in ages,now all I have to do is get the brain back up to speed[:0][|)]:([xx(][^]:):D[8D].

Cheers
Miner
P.S,hope your all doing ok.

Dazza
29-08-2006, 07:52 PM
fellas
found out a new system, about to impliment it.

question is i dunno how to place the orders.

here it is:

say todays closing price is 6475
its in an uptrend, i want to further confirm it, so if it hits 6480, ill buy.
how do i place my order for that?

stop buy @ 6480?
limit buy @ 6480?

and vice versa.

say its in a down trend , at the moment its 6410
i want to make sure it continues, so will sell when it lows to 6400

so do i do a :

limit sell @ 6400
stop sell @ 6400

im not to sure if CMC markets lets me do this?

roddy
29-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi Dazza
On my platform fxcm it is called an entry order which allows me to either sell or buy in the future at a specified rate such as trading the breakout or at a specified price as you describe above!
can also place a stoploss, a profit taking level, and a trailing stop at the same time as i place the order.but dont know about cmc
cheers rod

Dazza
29-08-2006, 10:45 PM
i tink those are called like mini futures roddy?

peat
29-08-2006, 10:48 PM
those examples would both be stops in CMC

stop buy @ 6480? YES

stop sell @ 6400 YES

weird but true.

Dazza
29-08-2006, 11:59 PM
sweet, peat do u use CMC?>

Drunk_Russian
30-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Dazza, Ive just signed up with CMC myself, and I'm just coming to terms with the ordering process. Its not quite as intuitive as some of the other platforms I've used, but as long as you're careful and don't stuff up the stop losses on your first couple of trades you're away laughing.

I noticed you can also denominate the trade in the opposing currency (in this case the US$) and execute a stop sell and get the same result as a stop buy! Just to confuse the situation.

peat
30-08-2006, 01:26 PM
yes I do use CMC's Marketmaker software and it seriously sucks with african american lips. Having used a few other platforms I cant believe how difficult they make things. Intuitive? Not much!
And there are some combinations of contingent orders which I used in other platforms that are simply not possible in MarketMaker
But its local and does mini orders, and it is work-able , just ugly and difficult.
I use oanada fxgame for graphing stuff as well. But it only has 1 year time frame maximum.

Dazza
31-08-2006, 01:09 AM
those examples would both be stops in CMC

stop buy @ 6480? YES
so for an order like that, if the SP went above 6480 my order would get filled for a buy

stop sell @ 6400 YES
so for an order like this, if SP went DOWN TO 6400, my sell order would get filled?

NOTE I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD A POSITION BE4 HAND, THESE POTENTIAL ORDERS ARE FOR ENTERING THEM?

weird but true.

so is that correct peat? for an entry order?

regards,
dazza

yes CMC markets platform suxs ****

peat
31-08-2006, 08:31 AM
yes dazza. i checked the notes from the 1 day course i went on, to make sure and I also tried it on the platform so I am quite sure about what I am saying.

Dazza
03-09-2006, 11:22 PM
swell :D

peat, are we able to make stop / limit orders outside of when the markets are closed?

it seems as if it didnt work?

so i had to set alartm to wake up when dow jones was trading to place my order

peat
04-09-2006, 08:24 AM
i think so, I just placed an order at 8:20 AM to buy Fletcher Building at $8.35 to close my existing short on that. Doubt it will get triggered but like you I wont be in front of the platform when it is trading.

These stop/limits orders need to be one percent away from market price tho, maybe that is getting in your way?

Dazza
04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
mmmm i did eh, place them at least 1% away....

ill have to further refine

roddy
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi All

Have just finished reading Day Trading the currency
market by
Kathy Lien
and also
Taming the lion by Richard Farleigh

Kathy is fxcm chief strategist also was an assosiate of jp morgan chase. Richard Farleigh worked for bt in aus then tradred a hedge fund in bermuda before retiring at 34 to Monte Carlo,now invests in small start ups etc, his wealth is estimated at around
160 mill,

if anybody wants any info on the books will post what i can.
cheers cadet roddy

peat
11-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Someone talks about that womans book in the following link - giving out one of her strategies as well

http://www.forexproject.com/Blog/Learn_Forex/Day_Trading_the_Currency_Market/

Here are her strategy rules for entering a Long Position:

1. Locate a currency pair trading well below its intraday 20 SMA on a 10- or 15-minute chart.

2. Next, enter a long position several pips below the figure (no more than 10)

3. Place an initial protective stop no more than 20 pips below the entry price

4. When the position is profitable by double the amount that you risked, close half of the position, and move your stop on the remaining portion of the trade to breakeven. Trail your stop as the price moves in your favor.

Reverse the strategy rules for a short position.

There are conditions for using this strategy, the most important being that no major economic numbers should be released during this setup.

She states that this strategy should work best for pairs with tighter trading ranges, cross, and commodity currencies. This strategy does work for the majors but under quieter market conditions.

roddy
11-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Peat

Yes thats right,she calls this strategy fading the double zeros.

double zeros represent numbers where the last two digits are 0, basically if the price is trending down to say .6200 intraday she would go long @.6195 with stop 20 below etc.
the idea is to put traders on the same side as market makers and it positions traders for a quick
contra -trend,the thinking is that traders are human and often think in terms of round numbers.

i have not tried the strategy so dont know its probability,she does comment that it needs to be confirmed with other indicators.

in taming the lion Richard Farleigh maintains you need to have a comparative advantage, in our case over mainstream TA, as everybody seems to follow adx mv macd rsi sto etc,

My view is that our comparative advantage is in morphing insects and major Gann, thanks to our two resident Gurus,this is possible!

cheers cadet roddy

arco
11-09-2006, 10:08 PM
[8D]:D:D:):D;)

arco
14-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Heres the latest picture of me in The Butterfly House wearing my lucky yellow cap.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7342/dd3811xl4.jpg

miner
14-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Might pay to get that black spot on your ear looked at by your doc,unless its just a piece of butterfly terd[?][?][?][:0]:D;).

arco
14-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Miner

:)

Good to see you back on the forum......
whats the tea leaves/bags suggesting at the moment.

arco in QLD ( for a few more weeks)

miner
14-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Evening Arco still using my system but only watching at night as busy during the day so a tad knackered by the time I get to watch,eur/jpy the tidiest one out of my 4 lately and it's same way mate usd/jpy,usd/jpy has been moving before eur/jpy lately so gives you the jump on the move(led the move for the one peat jumped on the other day then eur/jpy followed} and eur/usd the messiest and its opp way mate usd/chf.

Hard for me to post as still don't talk charty,but then you guys know I post tea leaf picks so may post a bit more on what I see,just hard to say why as you guys don't talk tea leafs,might have to write a book so you can all read and learn the right terminology,"FX Trading The Tea leaf System".

Cheers
Miner

Cheers
Miner

miner
14-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Hehe was going to say eur/jpy would test 149.35, look at the hourly's,wasn't much in it anyway.

miner
14-09-2006, 08:41 PM
While I am putting my neck on the block,usd/chf just about testing 486(hourly) so eur/usd should test at least 703 and maybe 717ish(hourly)

miner
14-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Well 30 odd pips so far on that one,just on the off chance anyone wants to know how I picked that one?,no,to bad I'm going to tell you anyway hehe,eur/usd was a sideways mess so toss a coin for which way it was going to break.

But usd/chf which always goes the opposite way was going and looking like it would continue south,look at the last 7(but used last 5 for this) hourly's on usd/chf,all red,and on eur/usd only last 3,5,and 15min charts also said what eur/usd would do,the hammer on the 1900 hourly for eur/usd also helped,was a sort of shooting star at the same time on usd/chf hourly.

Usually you get 15-30 seconds to 5min max using the go same way or opp method but tonight this pair gave more like 30 min a lifetime in FX,so if one goes and shows the move and the other is yet to go,jump on the one yet to go as other is saying what it will do and usually there are more pips in it as it is yet to go.

Also from hours of watching they all tend to go back to at least test high- low spikes from earlier in the day,say high spike on the close or first candle of the day,get sold down during the day,back to test it in the arvo,not quiet as simple as that but something to watch for.

One catch to this method for eur/jpy and usd/jpy is they go the same way "most" of the time so confirm each other,but they can also do what they are now and go opp,so then it's usd/jpy usd/chf same way and eur/usd eur/jpy same way.

Tea leaf 101,an ok system or just fluked one??? hehe.

Cheers
Miner

peat
15-09-2006, 08:26 AM
i got 35 pips on the gbp/jpy last night sort of working like that miner... Chf/Jpy was all pointing up and it was clear this was the trend in GBP/Jpy too and of course there was strength in cable itself.
It had been coming up from 220.3 and had reached 221.52.Then it retraced to its 38.2% level 221.05 and I jumped in. Had 35 pips on that very 15 min candle. So playing ninja with the ninja beast herself paid off this time. Gotta be very careful with that one tho.

arco
15-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Morning Miner

Nice scalping system there, and finely balancedno doubt by a generous dose of reading the Dilmah tea leaves.............have you got a patent on it yet ;)

arco

miner
15-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Evening arco,yep system working good,but use earl grey for longs and dilmah for shorts;),anyway just got home and am making dinner and dashing in to look at screens,so at a "glance"usd/chf is above 584 (daily),so looking for eur/usd to go south to 686-680 (hourly) and more if usd/jpy stays above 584.

Eur/jpy just breaking south which is good for the above,but as say is a making dinner 5second glance call[:0] and am drinking water not tea so....:D

Cheers
Miner

miner
19-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Well was a few pips in that last one,way past my bed time but thought just on the off chance someone is interested,as I have said before eur/jpy and usd/jpy just about always go the same way but also usd/jpy just about always moves first,they have just done a 20+ odd pip move south,so if you were watching say the 5 and 15min charts for both (around the 23.45 time mark) you had quiet a bit of time(for FX) to jump on a eur/jpy short after usd/jpy had begun to go south,so you knew eur/jpy would follow.

usd/chf leads eur/usd also but they go opp ways.

Just thought might help for entry's for both trades and longer holds.

Cheers
Miner

miner
19-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Off to bedy bise this time but first usd/chf just led a 20 odd pip move for it and eur/usd and they tested the high lows from earlier in the day like I have said they do,so both things said the move would happen.

Also look at the third hourly back(23.00) and it was saying it would test the high lows,515 usd/chf and 684 eur/usd.

Cheers
Miner

peat
19-09-2006, 06:16 PM
My DSL has been down for 22 hours now!!!!
I noticed it 8 PM y'day and after logging a call its still down today. Some problem with the central Auckland exchange or some such s.h.i.te. Got 3rd world?
Girl is home and well which is good , but of course I now had to come out to a net cafe :(

roddy
19-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Peat

Mate its the pits when you are off line and cant get on.

My stategy would be to hassle my isp,the bottom line is, you are trying to run an internet business which requires you to be online,if you cant be online means lost opportunity and 22 hours seems a long time.
When i was in Uganda recently they would shut the power off at night,that is to be expected,however 22 hrs outage on your computer in Auckland isnt expected nor should it be,in our technological age!
cheers cadet roddy

miner
19-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Try 2 weeks before they could get a guy to go to the local exchange to flick a switch before my phone was back on,and yes it was just flick a switch,the time before was a week.

arco
20-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah..........it took Telecom about 4 years to fix me up with Broadband........and in the end I had to tell the engineers exactly how they could fix the problem......its a long story which involved me phoning Helen Cluck at home :(

peat
20-09-2006, 10:38 AM
back online this morning ..... its amazing how I couldnt mentally adjust to having no connection, I would be reading a book and then I would get up and go to the PC to wiki something and it would suddenly click - doh. but I did re-read a few chapters of my John Murphy book
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0735200661.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

peat
30-09-2006, 12:39 AM
i will crash soon too
but leaving short GBP/JPY and short NZD/USD in place overnite.

peat
30-09-2006, 10:50 AM
retracement toook out my stops tho I guess in gbp/jpy it was more than a retracement. small profits.... really should have bailed earlier... oh well.

peat
09-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Does anyone think the levels reached on Friday in USD/JPY or Eur/USD are significant.... i.e Is THIS the breakout?

arco
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Morning Peat

JPY.USD

I mentioned on 21/8 on the Detached Trader forum

"I feel in the medium term the action could be heading towards circa 120"

Closing to that area now.

EUR.

Well that was a scary move on Fri, but my gut feeling is EUR should be going north as per previous charts. etc. Fridays black candle wick was just a jit above the red pitchfork line in my last EUR chart. Minor Gann support circa 2569.
So, I'm looking for a reversal pattern to go long for mega pips. Until then - staying on the sidelines.

regards - arco

peat
26-10-2006, 11:30 AM
enjoy those temps while you can Arco !
I feel a bit stupid for not participating in these fantastic calls you're making at the moment. but I continue to operate within my own money mgmnt constraints and comfort zones.
My ledger is on the positive side tho and I feel very honoured to see your analyses and successes and continue to try to learn from your postings.
I hope your return to NZ is a pleasant one.

arco
26-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks Peat

I am winding down now and cases are mostly packed ready to spend the final Aussie w/e in Brisbane before returning to NZ on Monday.

The Vaio will be off from tomorrow AM when Telstra pulls the plug, and that will be Aussie over for this year.

It will probably take me a day or two to get back in the swing of things, but there will always be forex opportunities appearing.

Regards - arco

peat
10-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Paying for TA software.
Whose done it. A lot or a little? Was it worth it?

I've never bought any analysis software, I've expected my trading platform to provide me with indicators etc as they have done. I havent even investigated Metastock (tho I might go and do that now). But I think a number of you have done this sort of stuff. Was it valuable to the extent that it paid for itself over time.

This 2 day seminar I went on did the hard sell on Profit Source and I'm tempted to check it out even at over $4k especially knowing that it has a 30 day money back guarantee heheh.

www.profitsource.com

Opinions?

http://www.profitsource.com/images/tour/startpage2.gif

arco
10-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Morning Peat

I will look at their website later, in the meantime......

You might also like to check out MTPredictor - it looks similar and may be cheaper.

www.MTPredictor.com

I only use Metastock, but its more hands on for Fibs and EW.

www.equis.com

regards - arco

Xerof
10-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Morning Peat,

Check the full field before laying your bets.

Here's another couple of starters:

Refined Elliot Trader :

www.elliottician.com/showpage.asp?p=284

Elwave :

www.prognosis.nl/web2002/index.html

regards

Xerof

peat
27-11-2006, 09:10 AM
the week is starting off with some life. look at eur/jpy!!!!

arco
27-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Here are some news items that might have some effect this week.

Mon. 11/27/06 6:50 PM EST JPY Retail Sales y/y
Tue. 11/28/06 8:30 AM EST USD Core Durable Goods Orders m/m
Tue. 11/28/06 12:30 PM EST USD Fed Chairman Bernanke Speaks
Tue. 11/28/06 7:30 PM EST AUD Trade Balance
Wed. 11/29/06 8:30 AM EST USD GDP Deflator Annualized q/q (p)
Wed. 11/29/06 10:00 AM EST USD New Home Sales m/m
Thu. 11/30/06 8:30 AM EST USD Core PCE Price Index m/m
Thu. 11/30/06 6:30 PM EST JPY Core Tokyo CPI m/m
Fri. 12/01/06 7:00 AM EST CAD Employment Change
Fri. 12/01/06 9:00 AM EST USD Fed Chairman Bernanke Speaks
Fri. 12/01/06 10:00 AM EST USD ISM Manufacturing Index

arco
27-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Morning Peat

Yes, following through nicely as per
my post 25/10/2006 - Eur.Jpy thread.

quote:When the Symm Triangle breaks we could see a nice run

Heres the chart posted then..............

http://www.khalsaspad.com/files/eur.yen_102506.gif

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19999&whichpage=5

regards - arco

peat
27-11-2006, 05:35 PM
yes absolutely Arco, I kept your prediction in mind but there was pain along the way and then everybody started talking about Central Bank intervention.... its never an easy ride.

arco
27-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Interesting?.......................

Recent press release from the ECRI on their WLI 20-November-2006

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The index of leading indicators increased for the second month in a row in October, a tentative sign of better economic times ahead.

Moreover, the Economic Cycle Research Institute's weekly leading index – which gives a more up-to-date view - moved further into positive territory in the week ended Nov. 10, for the second week in a row.

"We've still got lackluster growth between now and early 2007, but the risk of recession may be receding," said Lakshman Achuthan, managing director of ECRI in New York.

If Achuthan is correct and there is a fading chance of a recession and lessened threat from inflation, then he could also be right when he states that "the Federal Reserve may stay on hold for a lot longer than people think."

The Changed Nature Of Leading Indicators

Composite leading indicator indexes have fallen into some disfavor with financial markets, possibly for two reasons: (1) markets are more focussed on specific sectors that may be the chief sources of economic weakness – currently housing market indicators, at other times manufacturing indicators; and (2) leading indicator indexes are most valuable at signaling cyclical turning points and no such indication has been given recently.

To be sure, the Conference Board index has stuttered in recent months with little clear trend. Over the six months from April through October the index has drifted down by just 0.2%, hardly changed at all.

In October, the index rose by 0.2%, with six out of the 10 indicators up, led by a 0.43 percentage point contribution from real money supply, reflecting both an increase in nominal money supply and a decline in the consumer price index. Based on the decline in the CPI, the Conference Board presumed a decline in the personal consumption expenditures price index which it uses to deflate money supply. Offsetting some of the increase were declines, including a 0.27 percentage point decline in vendor performance and a 0.17 point decline in building permits.

At the same time there were revisions, including a fairly large one to September (now up 0.4% instead of the initially reported 0.1% gain).

Indeed, the tendency for frequent and fairly large revisions may be another reason for the lessened market interest in the leading index. (Three of the components - manufacturers' new orders for consumer goods and materials, manufacturers' new orders for nondefense capital goods and the real money supply - are not fully known and, so, the Conference Board makes imputations for them.)

ECRI's Index More Timely, Less Revised

ECRI's weekly leading index has the advantages of being more timely than the monthly Conference Board indicator. Its seven components are available at time of publication, so, there's less guesswork and fewer revisions.

The favored measure that the ECRI analysts look at to evaluate the index is not the index level itself or its month-to-month change, but rather the change in the index relative to its 52-week moving average.

On that basis, the WLI reached a 2006 peak of +5.0% in the week ended Feb. 10, drifted lower until it moved into negative territory in the week ended July 28, where it stayed for 14 weeks before showing a 0.6% increase relative to the 52-week average in the week ended Nov. 3 and an increase of 1.2% in the week ended Nov. 10.

Just as the early February peak signaled the drift through slower growth in the second and third quarters, the move back into positive territory - if it continues - could signal a return to more trend-like growth by the second quarter of 2007, according to Achuthan.

"The improvement in the WLI is pervasive, it's not just one component," said Achuthan, who looks for signals that are pronounced, prolonged and pervasive. "It takes a while before we can tell for sure, but it's beginning to look like there's something afoot. The WLI is like a one-armed economist."

That seems to mean that the signal i

arco
27-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone having connectivety problems through xtra broadband????

I can't get connected, and I've hung on for the xtra helpline for over 30 mins without them answering?

(Currently connected via Actrix dial up).

arco

peat
27-11-2006, 09:23 PM
yes I logged a call too Arco, but as soon as I got off the helpdesk telling me there was known problem all over the country mine came right again.

arco
27-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply Peat.

I just tried broadband again but no luck yet, although xtra dial up connects OK. No doubt the problem will resolve eventually.

regards - arco

peat
28-11-2006, 05:04 AM
its good you have a backup method. I dont. I just rely on the fact I can always phone the dealers.

peat
29-11-2006, 09:18 AM
from EWI
"The [U.S. Dollar Index] remains deeply oversold on a near term basis. Friday [Nov. 24] we noted that the index closed more than 3 standard deviations below its average price of the preceding 20 days. This morning we looked at the data and found 10 instances since 1990 when the U.S. Dollar index closed more than 3 standard deviations below its 20-day average price. Not every instance led to an immediate rally. In nearly all ten examples however, the downside potential was limited after the oversold reading occurred…"

miner
30-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Am I the only lucky one using FXCM who's charts have all gone to sh*t just as it gets a move on?,about 10 pips out with the dealing rates,then they catch up,:(.

Cheers
Miner

arco
30-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Miner

Have you tried Net Dania as a subsitute when this problem occurs. They will not be exactly the same to the pip, but should be near enough to trade out/into a position.

regards - arco

miner
30-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi arco not yet but may have to,looks to have come right since the hourly candle changed 10mins after the hour:(.

As have said before pays to keep an eye on the dealer rates AND your charts to make sure they are the same or[:0][V][B)].

Cheers
Miner

peat
30-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeh I often run two charts, one web based. Sometimes restarting my programme assists for me if its not updating. Net Dania looks good! monthly charts and long term data.

miner
30-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Problem with that is that I run 4 screens with a pair on each and 4 charts for each pair,so 16 charts altogether,so a tad tricky to fire them all up in a hurry.

Cheers
miner

peat
01-12-2006, 01:28 AM
you need to Alt-Tab more.;)

roddy
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Some interesting stuff here on John Key and his style of currency trading,would also be interesting to know how successful the best local traders are?

this comes from an article called Keys path to the Top
stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3880392a6160,00.html
He stayed with the company till 1985, when he saw a television programme about a day in the life of a foreign exchange dealer, Alan "Sooty" Cole. "I thought, I can do that."

The Lange/Douglas government had just deregulated the currency market and Mr Key was transfixed by the drama, the excitement and the money on offer. Traders were paid a salary and a bonus depending on how successful they were at "making pips" - a margin on currency traded.

The difference between selling a New Zealand dollar for US65c and US65.05c is only .05c. But sell 10 million and the difference becomes US$5000. Dealers make hundreds, if not thousands, of such transactions, every day. The best are those who consistently sell high and buy low.

From the beginning, Mr Key had a feel for the market. His starting salary as a trainee at Elders Finance was $75,000 and his first bonus - after six months - was another $75,000.

"It's all about pattern recognition and intuition and confidence. You need to be confident, but not cocky," he says.

Some of his peers considered him a big risk taker because he took big positions. But there was a method to his madness. He usually held the positions for only a few minutes.

Other traders took smaller positions, but held them much longer, dramatically increasing their exposure to market fluctuations.

He was also flexible enough to reverse out of a position when he realised he had made a mistake. "I'd go out and belt the market and if it didn't go down it meant to me it was going to go up and I'd buy two times as much and get out of it."

In 1988, he was headhunted by Bankers' Trust to head its currency operations in Auckland. He scored an early coup when Roger Douglas was sacked as finance minister by David Lange later that year. The market had been anticipating trouble and everyone knew Sir Roger's departure would drive the dollar down, but when it happened the news was slow filtering through to the markets.

Mr Key heard about it over the car radio on the way back from a family funeral. Walking into a quiet dealing room, he instructed the bank's traders to sell all they could. They made between $2 million and $3 million for the bank that day.

At the time he joined Bankers' Trust, the Australian investment bank was a third-tier operator in the New Zealand market. By the time he departed, in 1995, it was New Zealand's biggest currency trader with daily turnover of about $1 billion.

Mr Key, according to his then-boss Gavin Walker, was the country's dominant dealer. "He was not only number one in New Zealand. In terms of the Kiwi dollar, he was number one globally. People came and dealt with him because he was John Key. They knew that they could deal with him in large volumes, narrow prices and his word was his bond."

When he left Bankers' Trust, New Zealand's top currency traders were earning up to $750,000 a year. Mr Key, as a manager, was paid more. Asked how much, he laughs awkwardly: "A lot, relative to the New Zealand market."

But the real big money came when he shifted to London as the global head of Merrill Lynch, with more than 100 traders reporting to him. At the time, the company was offering key staff big "guarantees" if they stuck with the firm. Mr Key took his guarantee in the form of stock options. He also took most of his salary the same way.

Again, he won't say what he was paid, but industry observers says no one in his position would have earned less than 2 million at a time when top traders were pulling in more than 1 million a year.

By New Zealand standards, his salary and guarantee were huge, but his biggest gains came because Merrill Lynch's share value increased five-fold during his six years in London. Over that time, a 1 million (NZ$2.7 million) guarantee would have turned into a 5 million (NZ$13.

George
04-12-2006, 07:17 AM
I mentioned part of this article on the 'Off topic' thread. Interested to see if politics allows him to keep his word - maybe politics is such that it is impossible to tell the complete truth and get the votes.
George

miner
04-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Just a chart update guys as they went to custard in the last hour,so talked to a guy at FXCM and he told me that they are third party charts and power charts are aware that there charts are sh*t(not in those exact words thought hehe;)) but couldn't say if and when they will be sorted,great:(.

Looked at Dania but as far as can see I cant set up 4 charts per screen with them?.

Anyway as have said keep an eye on the dealing rates and the charts to see if the same,not such an issue for people setting buy sells but a pain if watching for trades.

Cheers
Miner

miner
04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Just looking at eur/usd on Dania and it is the same as power chart,not to bad only about 15 Fing pips out,others up to 20 pips:(.

Cheers
Miner

roddy
04-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi Miner
see what you mean,even on Dania following the Aud chart can be up to 3 pips out on dealing rates

miner
04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Keep an eye on rates and charts Roddy as lately up to 10minutes behind(candles don't change) and 20 pips out,so useless for trading,day time not so bad but at night when it warms up they go to custard.

Cheers
Miner

roddy
04-12-2006, 10:39 PM
They have a serious problem then Miner, any thoughts on what you will do?

cheers roddy

peat
04-12-2006, 10:51 PM
use fxgame!!
the quotes match mine (Marketmaker) almost perfectly and you can run multiple windows.

http://fxgame.oanda.com

miner
04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
The guy I talked to said that FXtrek Intellicharts were the most reliable,so may try there free trial,as having to watch to see if the charts are right on top of looking for a trade is a tad tricky shall we say.

They may come right again as have not had these problems for a while.

Cheers
Miner

miner
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
fxgame???

miner
04-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Oop's no link before ,ta peat.

Cheers
Miner

peat
04-12-2006, 11:06 PM
if u want good graphs fxgame is great see the link above.. takes only a simple registration for free , its a web app simulating forex trading just like the real Oanda. You just need java and to allow popups from that site if your browser blocks them

miner
04-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Ta peat had a look,can you zoom in on the charts?

Cheers
Miner

peat
05-12-2006, 12:02 AM
yeh
theres a + in the bottom right hand corner

and to detach the graph into a separate window use the 'window on a window' symbol in the top right of the chart...
its pretty flexible and intuitive i reckon

miner
05-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Well boys it's 12min past the hour and power chart hourly's are yet to change[:0][V],I got nailed due to wrong charts and couldn't play the ripper short on eur/jpy and usd/jpy,so power charts can stick it where the sun doesn't shine:(.

Will sort out what you use peat.

Cheers
Miner

miner
05-12-2006, 09:40 PM
You around tonight peat?.

Cheers
Miner

peat
05-12-2006, 09:52 PM
yes miner I am around mostly. I've just got back from checking out my mates laptop with a Vodafone Vodem. A USB attachment - wireless fast internet connection, a very portable arrangement. Good for trading on the beach hehe
But , I will be using it over the weekend to cover off my work 'on call' duties. Sweet, wont be tied to the apartment.

miner
05-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Sounds good,um how do I get my candles red and green??,did it last night but canny tonight.

Power charts about 30min behind now.

Cheers
Miner

miner
05-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Looking at the daily for eur/jpy on fxgame and power,there are more candles on fxgame(the horizontal one is Sunday?) but even with that there are more and different candles for the daily on fxgame.

So what's up there or am I just loosing it?

Cheers
Miner

peat
05-12-2006, 10:35 PM
heheh took me a few mins to work that out. right click on a candle and choose Red/Green!! :D

peat
05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I hide weekend data using a config like this pic shows - accessed from Tools/User Preferences.
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3716/userprefconfigkn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

miner
05-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Ok ta peat on power chart I can have one detached desk top with as many charts on it as I want,so end up with 4 windows open to get my 16 charts,but on fxgame it looks like I have to have one open for each chart,so rather than 4 pages open on my task bar I end up with 16 open,or can I set it up like power chart?.

Keep in mind I am thick when it comes to the dreaded computer,and also thanks for your help,b*stard about power charts as when they work they are good and like the set up,am used to watching it.

Cheers
Miner

miner
05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
O also fxgame just disconnected me and lost all the charts,was not my isp connection,so that is a big problem if it does that,with power the charts stay there if loose isp and just update when re-connect.

Your last post ta.

Cheers
Miner

peat
05-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I dont think you can do that....
ironically I'm having connection issues with FXgame tonite.... probably a follow through on their upgrade, they're are normally pretty reliable
And each time it reconnects the default graph layout comes back so if that happens to you, you may find it annoying if you've spent ages setting that up.
I guess it is for free ;+)

miner
05-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Yep I cant even get the page up now,and don't think I can set it up to suit my system,with power when I turn on each day I just go to history click on the link and all my charts come up for the day,just have to zoom them in.

Thanks heaps for your help peat but looks like fxgame wont do what I want.

Cheers
Miner

peat
05-12-2006, 11:17 PM
I've used it for a year or more with no issues like there is tonite. but its back up now.
That'll teach me to recommend something. The commission was lousy anyway.;)

roddy
06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi Miner

Wondering if you have gotten set up any where yet?
fxcm are still the same,

have you tried Metatrader,i dont know whether they are what you want,there is a link to them from Xerof in the butterfly section,i use them but dont require the accuracy which you need to make your system work
And yeah just spotted a 20pip diff between chart and dealing rate fxcm,has been okay during day time but now not even worth looking at [V]
[V]
cheers roddy

miner
06-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi roddy I am going to try a 7 day free trial for FXtrek IntelliChart™ as the guy I talked to the other night said they are ok,but was going to wait to Sunday to sign up for it and if ok set it all up for my system.

As for tonight what a b*stard was just lining up a short for eur/usd it has done 80 odd pips,never mind the long on usd/jpy,looked at them on fxgame but cant set that up how I want and it dropped me off again tonight so no good,will try metatrader,ta.

Power charts as you say ok during the day but as soon as things get moving they don't keep up,and the days this week are like watching paint dry.

Be VERY careful of power charts at the moment or you will get nailed,they are about 15min behind tonight with there candle changes,am going to get up a bit earlier in the morning and see if they have come right,might get a trade running into the daily.

Cheers
Miner

miner
06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Ta broke but I need live charts like this,and that can be set up like this http://www.dailyfx.com/charts/ChartStation.html when they work they are sweet[8D] but when they do this:(.

Cheers
Miner

roddy
06-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi Miner
Always frustrating when that sort of thing happens
especially when its a lost opportunity!
have been short aud since this morning but compared to the Euro,a bit of a slow horse.

good luck for the morning

Cheers
roddy

peat
06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
i do like the layout of the chart station miner...
but Oanda and CMC are pretty much always within a pip of each other and chartstation seems to be out - in relation to them at least.

miner
07-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Morning chaps,peat yep I like the set up of it if you detach the charts then pretty well all you have on screen is charts,when they work they are fine,look at this http://www.dailyfx.com/charts/ChartStation.html and you will see who followed who last night,today they may test last nights high and lows,usually one of these 4 give you a trade,roddy I don't watch AUD(thought you traded eur/usd?) anyway when eur/usd and usd/chf are messy usd/jpy and eur/jpy are tidy and vis versa.

Cheers
Miner

miner
07-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Now fxcm site has clapped out and I cant sign in,tis not my week is it chaps:(.

Cheers
Miner

roddy
07-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi Miner
FXCM power charts not quite 100% at present ,wont be trading off them tonight[V]

and yes i like the Euro,but seem to get run over at times!

I can see roughly how your system works with 4 monitors and
seperate charts,not sure i could handle the high pace that it would require at times

cheers
roddy

miner
08-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Morning roddy,yep the Fing charts died at about 6.30 last night as soon as things started to move,so I have got up early to look for a trade and guess what they are still toast,never mind as this weekend will have a look at that other site.

As for the 4 screens remember I only play one at a time,but use the 4 to see what each is doing,as for eur/usd it has been a sideways mess lately so don't play it,usd/chf (it's opp mate) has been the same,but eur/jpy and usd/jpy have been tidy enough so play them.

So out of the 4 I pick the one(well one of the two to play,as they move in pairs),so the pairs to play lately have been eur/jpy and usd/jpy,going off my cr*p charts these two have done what I thought,so now would draw a VERY basic miner trend line on the daily's and be looking north for both,BUT don't get that stuck in my head,stay flexible.

Out of the 4 look at these 2 and you will see that unlike the other 2 they have had runs,rather than messy channel stuff like the other 2,also if a pair has BIG tails on it's candles(mainly 15min,5min and hourly) then dodgy to play as to easy to get taken out,look for when there are small tails and a run on the hourly,15 and 5 min charts,also lately Friday night and Monday morning have been good times to be watching.

Eur/usd and usd/chf have been doing messy spinning top stuff(daily) so why play until they sort out what they are doing,was watching them channel in about a messy 10 pip range yesterday and thought why do people bother,but then look at the last 3-4 daily's on the other 2,and you can see they are allot better.

See usd/jpy daily,and how this daily came back last night to test my very rough trend line on the previous 2 daily's,the KISS method.

Anyway rambling on,as well cant play on these charts,so hope some of the above helped anyway.

Cheers
Miner

slam
08-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Hi Miner
I'm still using the 4 screens with FX Power charts, but not having any trouble with them.
I am using IE7 (and love it)
Maybe worth an update.
If you do, back up your system first though, incase you don't like it.

Also, who are you connected through? ISP I mean. Broadband has been dodgy as over the past few weeks, and some ISP's are loosing connection to International pipes on a regular basis.
Luckily I have a cable connection which is rock solid

Cheers
Slam

miner
08-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Well as the charts are still toast will dribble on a bit more,from the john key post the other day that you posted roddy,""It's all about pattern recognition and intuition and confidence. You need to be confident, but not cocky," he says."

So look at this chart http://www.dailyfx.com/charts/ChartStation.html this is my pattern recognition (and by NO means saying I am a spot on key's butt) but remember what I have said about the daily,now look at the hourly,you can see it has turned (around midnight)and is going to go back up to test 115.36(days high).

So if you were up late or early this morning you could get on to this pattern,this way you have some room when it tests the high so can hold in profit to see if it goes through on the new daily,if so then move your stop up to 115.36.

Ok now look at this one http://www.dailyfx.com/charts/ChartStation.html keeping in mind that these 2 usually follow each other,see how this one on the hourly has done the same, but a stronger move and ran higher,so they confirm each other,so when usd/jpy was a bit messy around 3am to 7am eur/jpy told you it would still go north,and like usd/jpy the daily ties in with the above.

So hopefully my charts are right and just a tad behind or that lot will be a load of....and there is still a few hours to the daily change but hopefully you can see what I am looking at with these charts??,and eur/usd is a messy south and usd/chf a messy north so they both help confirm the moves on the other 2.

Key taking the money and running was interesting also.

Cheers
Miner

miner
08-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi slam ta for that very interesting,as for the last few weeks my adsl has been dropping me off at least once a day even with Norton keep connection alive going,I use paradise but through Telstra, and could do IE7 once I figure out how to back up(you know me hate computers and know zip about them) be very interesting to know what you are using roddy and peat?,as slam may be onto the problem?.

Sounds like it may be the isp rather than not having IE7 though slam??.

What pairs do you watch on your screens slam?.

Cheers
Miner

slam
08-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey Miner
Your links to the charts just come up with the default FX Power Chart, not your selections. Your selections are kept in cookies on your pc, so when I click on the link, it looks at my cookies and displays my charts. If I didn't have any cookies ( ie didn't use FX power chart before) it would come up with the default charts that FX power chart display when you first go there.

Clear as mud[?]

Sorry Bud

Slam

miner
08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
How do I fix it so they work?,as when I click on my links they come up,did say i was a PC moron.

Cheers
Miner

slam
08-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Pairs, Mainly

NZD AUD
EUR USD
AUD USD
USD JPY
and AUD NZD ( but not on FX power)

But also use different combos with USD CHF and EUR JPY
So same feeds.

One thing I do as well is have the Market Scope Charts that come with FXCM Trading Platform open as well. Just 1 screen of them with 6 diff pairs open on them. That gives me a double check of chart action for short term

(need more screens so I can actually do some work as well;))

slam
08-12-2006, 09:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by miner

How do I fix it so they work?,as when I click on my links they come up,did say i was a PC moron.

Cheers
Miner

Can't,
You would have to take a screen shot and upload the image
Alternatively, just quote the pair and time frame and let whoever is reading bring it up on their charts

miner
08-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Ok ta well if you guys can be bothered the time frames for the charts i was talking about above are daily,hourly,15min and 5 min,all zoomed in a bit.

Cheers
Miner

miner
08-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Just went to ring my ISP slam and there is a 25min wait due to problems this morning so will try later,just thinking if I can actually get them to tell me if there having problems with International pipes then that may be what is going on,as if you are having no problems with power charts then it cant be them,so if it is my ISP changing to new charts wont solve my problem as they will be stuffed also due to the ISP,getting dropped off ADSL and these chart problems have been at about the same time so..

If you other guys with power chart problems can let me know your ISP that would help.

Cheers
Miner

roddy
08-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi Miner

i use slingshot adsl which now,that you mention it,i was with paradise before,but had problems with them,probably didnt help being on dial up and living
in the country,after doing suceesive pings etc(Peat will know more about it than myself as hes in the industry, but a ping just traces the route and how long it takes to get there,)Fxcm told me what to do ,and they advised that it was from my end.So after changing to slingshot adsl things are a whole lot better.

using mozilla firefox

Great, the article on John Key is inspiring and i posted it with that in mind!

cheers
roddy

peat
08-12-2006, 12:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by roddy

a ping just traces the route and how long it takes to get there

yeh think of ping like sonar in a submarine sending out a noise and waiting for a reply.
To be strictly correct a 'tracert' command is the one that fully traces out the route showing all the 'hops' on the way.
eg from a command line (dos prompt)
ping www.ihug.co.nz - will give you replys and times
but
tracert www.ihug.co.nz will show you all the network devices on the way there

not all sites reply to pings tho... its possible for them to configure their firewall so they dont reply. Ihug does AFAIK

internet has been ****e since Telecom went 'unconstrained' I've been having a lot more problems too but not show stopping ones just brief outages.

peat
09-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Looks like NFP did the big sucker thing taking off in one direction and then abrubtly reversing a couple of hours later - USD/Jpy now back up to 116.50!
Eur GBP seems to have turned at your level arco, or at least hit some resistance - Tenkan has just crossed on the hourly , and there was some divergence on the stochastics at the high.

miner
09-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Morning roddy no doubt you are as happy as I am about the dead charts after last night:(,as my 4 did what I said they would;).

See how usd/chf and eur/usd were messy on Thursday but eur/jpy and usd/jpy were looking good for a move north,so this told you which way the other 2 would break.

Also Friday night was good again,so after those big moves Monday morning should be a good time to watch also.

Cheers
Miner:(;)

roddy
09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Miner
UMH ? Last night i put on a straddle: long Euro @ 1.3320 with a stop 30 pips below and a short @1.3220 with a stop 30 pips above when the spot price was 1.3275 and went to bed,as i was uncertain which way non farm payroll was headed.i
woke at 4.00am was nicely in profit 25-30 pips, then found at 8.00 i had been stopped out unable to break the daily double top,however the second position was in play with outcome being at the minute 15 pips down!

I have been keeping an eye on the charts and even 8.00 this morning the charts werent keeping up with the dealing rates,so the dealing rates seem to be the best option for me.
cheers roddy

miner
10-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi roddy,I just had to upgrade my sun java http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp so I can run the new charts I am looking at,after I did this I looked at power charts and got sun java loading?(sort of a clock) before power charts came up.

So needed to update java for new charts and just wondering if that was the problem with power,so do you have this java update?,if not maybe that is our problem?.

Cheers
Miner

miner
10-12-2006, 03:51 PM
I now have a cup of coffee icon next to detached desktop,top left of the screen.

arco
10-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi Miner

Not sure if this might be of help, theres some info about Java coffee cup at the bottom of this page.

http://stockcharts.com/help/doku.php?id=support:computer_configuration_faqs

regards - arco

miner
10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi arco thanks for that,I had to do java stuff to get into fxgame charts and more for the one's I am looking at now so maybe that was power chart problems as in my java was not up to date?.

The new charts look ok,just finding my way around them,but power are easier to set up,also you had to give them your credit card number and they will bill you for a month at the end of your "free" 7 day trial unless you email them not to,hmm sounds like what a "free" porn site does,but had to get something sorted for tomorrow.

Cheers
pat

miner
10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
The other one arco is that these new charts are different to power charts as some candle are different colours,as red rather than green on same time frame charts and less candles on the new ones.

I would have thought that all candle charts were the same??,the new ones have "time scale & period" so maybe I have the period part set wrong,I do no it's giving me one.

Cheers
Miner

roddy
10-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Miner
Yes thanks for the link to Java,i have been running
java but not the most recent version, which i have subsequently downloaded and hoping for good things,though living in the country, and being i think about 8 kms, not sure exact distance from the nearest exchange,and able to download at 1.5 MB,seems good under the circumstances.

cheers
:)
roddy

miner
11-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Well power charts are still toast so using my new charts which are correct which is a good start but with power charts there was that doted horizontal line that followed the bid price,this was very important for my system as the line ran across the charts and I could see the bid price relevant to support resistance on previous candles.

So if anyone knows of a chart set up that has this and can open lots of charts like power can you please let me know.

Cheers
Miner

peat
11-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I figured out a way to have the four charts displaying on fxgame like the chartstation does miner.... just open four detached windows and resize them to a 1/4 of your window

and regarding the line , it can display a dotted line across the screen at the bid and ask level.

miner
11-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Ta peat will have a look as this set up is not what I am after.

Cheers
Miner

peat
11-12-2006, 02:01 PM
like this printscreen of my desktop shows....

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2373/4xfxgamekq8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

peat
11-12-2006, 02:10 PM
sorry about the wide image tho....

(still we'll soon be on a new page)

miner
11-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Better peat just takes ages to set up,and none of them show today's daily candle???,missing some good trades too.

Cheers
Miner

peat
11-12-2006, 03:50 PM
You can easily change the time frame on those graphs , to daily or 3 hour or 1 hour whatever you want. Yes it takes a little while to setup - c'est le vie.

miner
11-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Yep got one chart for each pair on daily,but doesn't show today's candle,talked to a guy at FXCM and no other chart package they have has that line like power charts as far as he knows,hell all I want is a basic candle chart with line on it,you would think power would have a pay for it version.

Ta for your help again peat.

Cheers
miner

peat
11-12-2006, 04:04 PM
ah yes i now know what you mean about the daily being delayed after the weekend , hmmm well have to use the 3 hour for now, this is just a weekend thing , or perhaps go back (just for today) untick the hide weekend data under tools/user preferences
its a timing issue i think.

miner
11-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Roddy I'm not using power charts at the moment but would like to so can you post if they come right again,ta.

Cheers
Miner

miner
11-12-2006, 08:23 PM
FXgame just dropped me off and lost all the charts peat,so not going to fire all 16 up again one at a time,talked to FXCM today to try and get an email for the power chart guys to see if they had the same layout in a package you could pay for,but they didn't have a contact email,so if anyone has it could you post it please.

Cheers
Miner

arco
11-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi Miner

Not sure if this is what you need

charts@fxcm.com

http://www.fxcm.co.uk/charts.htm

regards - arco

peat
11-12-2006, 08:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by miner

FXgame just dropped me off and lost all the charts peat,so not going to fire all 16 up again
oh damm !
yeh it does that tho there IS a way to save your default layout I since found , but sure , I doubt you can save the detached windows.

miner
11-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Evening arco thanks for the try,but power charts are a 3rd party provider to FXCM,so they cant do anything and cant give me a contact for the guys who run power charts.

The line that follows the "trading right now" rather than bid or ask allows you to see it test points on the charts,but also it is the layout as can have 4 charts open in one page,rather than 16 pages,for what I do the layout is great,and by the way eur/jpy is having a go at 154.02,said last week to watch it for a long.

Anyway thanks again the search goes on.

Cheers
Miner

arco
11-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi Miner

Re FX Game

I use FXTrade which works the same as the Fxgame.

Get your charts up and then go 'Tools' - 'Save Current Layout'

That will save all your charts and even the positions you have them in on your screen. (So you can even have a tablet of 4 on the screen). When you log on again they will all be there in the same place, and with the same indicators still showing.

However, suggest when you first set it up you keep saving as you go along, then theres no chance of losing them if you get cut off.

regards - arco

peat
11-12-2006, 09:21 PM
hahah just tested this and it does save detached windows.... wow it gets better..... there ya go miner... ya better be happy with that.

miner
11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Arco FXtrade I have to be an account holder??,peat can I close ALL 4 charts on a window with 1 click or each at a time,reason is if I set up a buy or sell I can then move it to another screen and then put the 4chart window back over the trading station,as it is once I set a trade ready to go you cant close the trading station so you loose a screen,with power one click and you go over the trading station,this setup 4 clicks,once you find the ones you want among 16 windows.

And eur/jpy has tested Fridays high so may have a go at 154.16 now,so worth a watch.

Cheers
Miner

arco
11-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Miner

FXGame charts will work exactly the same as fxtrade charting.
(I still have 3 game accounts for experimentation, all with saved layouts).

arco

miner
11-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Just on the off chance that someone takes note of my tealeaf thoughts[:0],see how usd/jpy got through Fridays high earlier today,so this was a pointer to what eur/usd did a bit later[:o)];).

Cheers
Miner

miner
11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Should be able to do the same with what I am using by the sound of this

New: To open space for a new Group, select the "New" option
Open: To open an existing Group, one that you have already saved, select "Open".
Save: This allows you to save a Group that either:
Group has never been saved. If Group is new and has never been saved; you will be prompted to name the group you would like to save.
Group is not new, it is an existing group (already named and saved) then you will be saving any new settings and adjustments that were applied to the charts.
Save As: This allows an existing Group to be saved as a new Group. You will be prompted to apply a new name to the Group.
Create Local Backup: This allows you to create a Backup all of your Groups, Alerts, and personal settings. The Backup will be saved locally on your computer, all Local Backups are stored in the file called, "FXBackup" on your main hard drive, most likely your C: drive (you can search at C:\FXBackup) . The saved versions of your settings files will be housed in that folder. Just like making copies of critical documents, it is a good idea to periodically create a backup copy of your charts. This will enable you to retrieve your chart preferences from your own computer. To use this feature, simply highlight and click on the "Create Local Backup" selection, the backup will occur automatically, and you will see a popup message confirming your Backup.
Restore Local Backup: Restore Local Backup will allow you to retrieve the settings for your IntelliChart Desktop based on the last time you created a backup file. If you have changed any saved chart settings on your computer since the last date a Backup was created, restoring your work will overwrite these saved changes.

BUT the bliming thing wont let me sign in off the icon on my desktop and the way I get in 4 charts pop up and you go from there,and cant find the above on the charts.

One of the good things about power was that even an idiot[xx(] like me could drive it,the KISS theory;).

Cheers
Miner

miner
12-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Morning chaps,well cant do that set up on my charts as what I posted was for the next level $$ up,but I did set up FXgame as you said arco so that's good,believe it or not power charts are ok today so will see how they go and use FXgame as a back up,so thanks again to both of you for your help:D.

On a sadder note as I was mucking around with charts so didn't get on it take a look at what eur/jpy did last night:(;).

Cheers
Miner

miner
12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Roddy an easy way to see if power charts are showing the correct rate is to just set up a simple buy on say for eur/usd and then drag it onto the screen with the chart on it,as long as it shows 3pips more than the chart the chart is ok,saves constantly looking at the dealing rates.

Cheers
Miner

arco
18-12-2006, 01:41 PM
A few announcements that may have some impact this week

Mon. 12/18/06 8:30 AM ET USD Current Account
Tue. 12/19/06 1:30 AM ET JPY BOJ Governor Fukui Speaks
Tue. 12/19/06 7:00 AM ET CAD Core CPI m/m
Tue. 12/19/06 8:30 AM ET USD Core PPI m/m
Wed. 12/20/06 3:00 AM ET EUR ECB President Trichet Speaks
Wed. 12/20/06 4:30 AM ET GBP Public Sector Net Borrowing
Wed. 12/20/06 8:30 AM ET CAD Wholesale Sales m/m
Wed. 12/20/06 4:45 PM ET NZD GDP q/q
Thu. 12/21/06 2:15 AM ET CHF Trade Balance
Thu. 12/21/06 8:30 AM ET CAD GDP m/m
Thu. 12/21/06 12:00 PM ET USD Philadelphia Fed Manf Index
Fri. 12/22/06 12:00 AM ET JPY BOJ Meeting Minutes
Fri. 12/22/06 8:30 AM ET USD Core Durable Goods Orders m/m

peat
19-12-2006, 12:05 PM
news flash to myself - just coz I'm on holiday doesnt mean I have much time. Xmas craziness... worse than ever , flying out Thu morning so lots of stuff to do ....

using 5 min charts , long Eur/Chf from 1.6005 short term trade, am in the black so far , stop loss just below the 00 mark, so risking no more than 8. will take at +15