PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on how to keep fund in US$ in NZ

prius
07-07-2005, 10:20 AM
I have got some fund in US in US$. Would like to get that fund here in NZ now and still keep it in US$ to take advantage of falling NZ$. Will convert when NZ$ hits 60cent US. Any advice is appreciated.

OldRider
07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Prius:
Holding $US seems not a bad strategy at the moment.

I'm reasonably sure ASB can do this for you,and probably the other main banks as well.Go into your bank & check,I don't use them myself so can't be sure.

At the same time they can provide the current return - these will be related to rates in the particular country and currently are lower than for NZ currency.

For myself ownership of my shares and cash balances is through the Aegis system, I think they use ASB, no problem with them to have cash balances in foreign currency, I do myself. Not sure how many choices - certainly US, Sterling, Aust as I have these.

Maybe your stockbroker can do this as well. I know some have at least an $AUD account, maybe an $USD as well.

07-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Prius try HSBC they have multi currency accounts

pimpit
15-07-2005, 12:02 PM
ASB has NRFC accounts, you can only access them through fone.

zyreon
25-07-2005, 02:31 PM
u could also get a put option or short the NZDUSD

(to utilise leverage)

Sky Tower
25-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Any major trading bank has Foreign Currency Accounts (denominated in a foreign currency but the account is domiciled in NZ) which should do the trick (subject to normal account opening criteria)

And dont ask me what thje criteria is - it will differ from Bank to Bank