PDA

View Full Version : Building a house - do's & don'ts

huds
04-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Looking to build my first home in the not so distant future. Anyone got any experiences, good or bad, or recommendations.

The pre-designed homes seem the easiest and cheapest option for me, like Jalcon and Sovereign, plus they look pretty good. Sovereign offers single storey homes for about $1000/sqm & 1200/sqm for double.

I'm a little wary of some of these outfits though, Mitchell Homes is one in particular I've heard a few horror stories on.

duncan macgregor
04-10-2005, 01:03 PM
HUDS, Be wary of everything in business. The brick and tile homes are your safest buy,if you are a novice. The best way is have an independent building report done on one of their homes, picked at random. Leave the money in a lawyers trust account, to be paid only at finished stages of construction. This gives both parties cover against one or the other not doing the right thing. Any disputes to be resolved by a named inspector. Never pay in advance of anything. You will find if you stick to that most builders will happily go along with it, and the fly by nighters will want paid in advance. MACDUNK

huds
04-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the advice macdunk, that makes a lot of sense.

Winston001
24-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I had a kitset home from Macraeway (Timaru based) built about 10 years ago. I cannot praise them enough. They have also provided kitsets to other people I know and everyone is pleased.

I used my own builder which might be the key to controlling costs and quality. Having said that, a housing company's own builders should be quicker and more efficent doing the same work all of the time.

IMHO getting the basics right is important. Plenty of insulation and double glazing if noise and cold weather are likely. Keeps cooler in summer too. Heating in the concrete pad.

Take the plans to a draughtsman and see if they can suggest a few wrinkles to make the design more interesting and useful. Or at least ask the company for examples of amended plans used by other buyers to get some ideas. Once the house is finished inside it is too late to decide the kitchen needs to be 3m further along.

huds
21-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Appreciate the input guys, cheers.

Year of the Tiger
21-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Macdunk, Every thought of consulting for the newbies on the block about the do's and don'ts of anything in the building industry. Ohh, silly me, you are probably doing that already....

Although I did the "rental" investment thing a few years ago and found it didn't suit my personality, I hang onto everyword you say....

I would recommend to anyone asking for advice that they read your comments...

Well done and thanks for all for your wealth of knowledge...
Seasons Greetings to you.

boxer
30-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I have read every topic on this site have found MacDunk to be the most sound and align with my own investments beliefs. My advice on this topic though is to read a lot about investment and constantly watch and keep in touch with properties on the move in your area of interest. When you make the decision to invest be objective and make sure you've done your sums and are comfortable with them.

trackers
30-03-2006, 06:25 PM
welcome boxer, a new member I see :)

Looks like you don't use spacing in your posts, much like McDunk?