PDA

View Full Version : IPO Pacific Brands

Curly
14-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Been offered a firm allocation in Pacifac Brands. Anyone contemplating
taking them up and have you seen any articles about IPO? Price at $2.95 seems a little on the high side to me.

The GrandMaster
15-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Interesting to know the apparent lack of interest in posting on this IPO. Especially considering that much derided 42 Below is up to 48 pages. I for one would be interested in some of the more regular poster's views on this.

Or is the lack of postings an indication that this is a good one.....

The GrandMaster

tinking
16-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Dividend yield seems a little slim.

Has strong branding though and a solid market share.

16-03-2004, 08:48 AM
THE KING says NO thanks at this price to many good retailers around at the moment at cheaper pricers.[8D]

Regards tinking from THE KING

willy_wonker
16-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I like Pacific Brands, cos I like Kylie M. :D

and why not ! [:p]

Long Strangle
16-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Good interest in Ausi. No stock at Citigroup & I believe they had a very large allocation. Not too much risk as the final price is set by the institutions. I can see a decent refund on the offer price.

marinesalvor
16-03-2004, 12:11 PM
nothing really wrong with it - I am just keen on a few others instead

CAM
23-03-2004, 10:05 AM
found this on another site
thought you guys and girls might be interested

Have any of you seen the prospectus? I have and I take my hat off to the venture capitalists flogging the business, especially if they get it away on time and on price.

On page 2 of the prospectus, the Key Offer statistics includes the following:

Retail Application Price: $2.60 per share
Total number of shares available under the offer [and on issue following the offer]: 503 million

Forecast year-ending 30 June 2005
EPS pre-goodwill amortisation 19.5 cents
Price earnings ratio (pre-goodwill amortisation) 11.5 – 13.3x

Net debt of $466.5 million

The next 20 or so pages of the prospectus demonstrates that Pacific Brands has a considerable stable of branded merchandise, much of which must be widely recognised by many Australians, IMO.

But, the alarm bells went off for me when I got to page 23 and the 'Summary of key information.' There one can find the neatly tabulated historical EBITDA, EBITA and EBIT figures (which are of very limited use, IMHO) but no NPAT or EPS figures. Admittedly, there are pro forma FY04 and 05 NPAT and EPS forecasts, but where are the real historicals?

The answer is, there aren't any. Well, that's not entirely true. Page 135 (safely tucked away in Appendix I) has a statement of financial performance for the six months ended December 2003 and the FY ended 30 June 2003, which includes the following:

FY to 30 June 03:
Total Revenue - $1,528.2 million
NPAT attributable to members of the combined economic entity - $56.7 million.

So, this roughly equates to EPS for FY03 of 11.3 cents per share. Resulting in a historical p/e ratio of 23 times. Furthermore, the net profit margin is clearly a fairly thin 3.7%.

There's also a statement of financial position on page 136 which shows that gearing at 30 December 03 is 277%! I used the total equity figure, as opposed to ordinary shareholders' equity which I haven't calculated, but the calculation is:

Financial debt – cash / total equity; or,

($533.1 million – $26.3 million) / $182.8 million = 2.77

From what I've read in the press over the past 12 months, the VCs that bought Pacific Brands and closed some of its factory facilities and eradicated some brands, but bought some others brands as well. This must have cost a lot (given the current debt levels), has resulted in a large amortisation bill ($82.8 million for the FY ending 30 June 2003).

As a result, I can't help but think that we'll all have the opportunity of buying into Pacific Brands at much lower valuation multiples than currently available over the next few years. Why? Well, the company's operating on thin margins and any recession will force many of us to go looking for cheaper non-branded pants and socks. Furthermore, with that sort of debt, if interest rates go much higher or cash flows run any lower (which could happen if there's a downturn in consumer spending) it could get sticky very quickly. Also, how will management fund any expansion of the business? My guess is by diluting existing shareholders' equity with placements, rights issues and the like.

Does the proposed Pacific Brands IPO price send out signals about current valuations in the market at large, I wonder?

My guess is it might offer a stag profit in the short term, but you are more than likely going to get in at a cheaper price in the medium term.

whatsup
23-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Great call CAM ,as a matter of interest what was the address of trhe other site?

MeNoBatty
23-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Agree with Cam's post, however the line about debt levels is a bit of a furphy. Remember this is a Private Equity sale and those guys are highly leveraged. Banks will lend up to 4 x EBITDA on a buy out. FY 2003 EBITDA was $143m and assuming the banks lent the $491m non current liability then that is 3.4x EBITDA which is typical of that sort of transaction.

Batty's prediction - modest stag, say 10-20% followed by a cooling off for a year or more until growth oportunities are understood by market.

CAM
23-03-2004, 01:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by whatsup

Great call CAM ,as a matter of interest what was the address of trhe other site?

Was found on the motley fool. When I get a chance I will see if I can post a link

willy_wonker
23-03-2004, 03:10 PM
HLG just posted a record profit 20% above last year. Isnt Pacifc Brands in the clothing industry also? :D

ps: CAM, love your blackmarket website.

star
23-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Clothing and footware is in very mature industry withh strong competition and low entry barriers. With the worldwide trend of lower tariff on importing products, Pacifc Brand will face strong competition from Asia.

Pacific Brand has huge goodwill amortisition and NPAT is very thin. P/E ratio (using NPAT) is avobe 23. This seems to be a kind of IPO that current owners sell at huge premium and use proceeds to buy another undervalued company.

Bobby
02-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Deathly silence from you lot - spending too much time bickering between yourselves most likely;) - any thoughts on today's listing - looks as though people were able to get reasonable parcels - prviously it was pre-registered's only getting guarantee 1,000 now its 2,500.
Any thoughts?

willy_wonker
02-04-2004, 11:00 AM
It should be a good listing.

Funds have to buy for indexing as it is a top 100 company on the market.

Disc: holder of PBC :)

willy_wonker
02-04-2004, 05:13 PM
PBG closed at $2.59 in Aussie today. That is a 3.6% premium to IPO price. Not too bad indeed. :)

jlebed
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Just curious, did anyone try to stag these? There was an 0800 line advertised by which successful applicants could 'confirm' their holding but allotment isn't til 6 April so I don't know what broker would've taken your sell order, especially given that the prospectus states:

"The Company, the Share Registrar and the Joint Lead Managers disclaim all liability, whether in negligence or otherwise, to persons who sell Shares before receiving their initial statement of holding, whether on the basis of a confirmation of allocation provided by any of them or by the Pacific Brands Share Offer Information Line or a Broker or otherwise".

willy_wonker
04-04-2004, 02:34 PM
A few lucky clients will get a firm allocation from their broker. Also PBG is trading on a delay delivery.

Bobby
04-04-2004, 03:04 PM
No complaints from me - bought two rasonable parcels and happy to sit on them for a while - not really a stagger in any event.

willy_wonker
04-04-2004, 03:38 PM
PBG IPO price was at a good PE compare to other clothing firms of their type and also on a good yield. All the negativity about private equities firms have pushed the insitutional bid back to a good price. All good. :)

04-04-2004, 04:12 PM
WW The proof of the pudding will be where it is in about 6 months time my guess is between $2.00 & $2.25

Bobby
04-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Enigma - care to elaborate

04-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Bobby why did the private equity company sell it. IMO it was because they could see minimal further growth if any if retail stayed in boom phase and major deteroration if it does not. I would not have been suprised even with the price cut the closing price on the opening day had been negative. A measly nine cents For a share that was suposedly so much in demand is a very poor showing.

willy_wonker
05-04-2004, 09:11 AM
I remembered FRUCOR (FRU) pre takeover, also a private equity IPO. Those that bought during the IPO and didnt panick when the price dropped would have made a good premium in the takeover offer when the true fundamental value was realised. :)

MeNoBatty
05-04-2004, 10:09 AM
See following link for comment on IPO pricing.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2865557a13,00.html

Enigma, i hear what you are saying. However, listing at a premium of 3% is actually spot on the money. That shows that the PE boys have actually done their homework and flogged it off at pretty much what the market thinks it is worth. The trouble is punters now expect a stag of around 10% so some will naturally be dissapointed. THis expectation has been built into the IPO process over the last couple of decades. However why should a seller give away such a margin (in this case it would have been over$100m) just so a few staggers are happy?

With regards to the timing, the PE guys exiting now has more to do with the fact that they have done their job and, with the current IPO window offering the opportunity, it is now time to cash in a return the proceeds to their investors. From memory, PacBrands was purchased from Pacific Dunlop about 3 or 4 years ago. THis is plenty of time for a PE manager to do their stuff and implement new management, sell underperforming businesses and reduce their debt funding with the proceeds. The growth oportunity of the business units has probably been fairly consistent since the busines was recapitalised 3 years ago and management overhauled. PE make their money from buying cheap and restructuring. It is now a mature business that the market will have to judge for itself.

Just my 2 cents.

05-04-2004, 02:32 PM
MeNoBatty So what is your price after 6 months I have given my estimate.

MeNoBatty
05-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Please, call me Batty. None of that formal stuff around here ;).

Who knows. Probably about the same,ie 2.50 to 2.65. I only really took notice of this 'cause of a general interest in IPOs and the state of the market, not because i planned to invest.

It depends on what the long term effect of the high AUD is and whether there is going to be a hard or soft landing for the Aus and NZ economies. Effect of the housing market on retail sales is also similarly unknown. Consensus seems to be that interest rates will stay on hold for the rest of the year. I think i heard this morning that there were some good job figures out of the US also. On the retail front, David Jones has had a couple of good anouncements recently and i notice coles myer has had a bit of a run up of late so retail seems to be reasonably robust. Postie Plus had a good anouncement recently too, didnt they? Anyways, seems to be a reasonably good company put back onto the right footing by some opportunistic PE fellows. Cheers me old matey.

winner69
24-02-2005, 08:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by ENIGMA

Bobby why did the private equity company sell it. IMO it was because they could see minimal further growth if any if retail stayed in boom phase and major deteroration if it does not. I would not have been suprised even with the price cut the closing price on the opening day had been negative. A measly nine cents For a share that was suposedly so much in demand is a very poor showing.

Enigma ... and events unfolding just as you predicted

keeping the dividend at prospectus levels but dipping into reserves to do so ... as dividend greater than earnings

Dazza
24-02-2005, 10:42 PM
saw a bit of a drop....
am considering if i should still stay on.
brought in at IPO for 1k shares...

considering to sell them... to fund ATR... mmmm

winner69
03-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Did you get out dazza?

Think PBG is being found out for what it is ... a mish mash of premium and cheap brands ... no particular coordination of direction amongst the brands ... and little new marketing / management leading the way

I'd say general weakening in price from here on in

Dazza
03-03-2005, 08:26 PM
nar ive stayed on unfortunately....
i should have gone out around 3.40 mark

will still stay for a bit

then decide..

winner69
16-05-2005, 06:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by ENIGMA

WW The proof of the pudding will be where it is in about 6 months time my guess is between $2.00 & $2.25

Enigma - down to those sort of prices in AUD and soon below that in NZD i think .... good call even though it took a while to do so

Another dud IPO for the obvious reasons. Another FTX on the way you think.

Todays 240 not that bad compared to listing but long way down from the 340 not that long ago

Those still in have a look through the preso after the half year ... fantastic EBITDA result but stuff all free cash flow ... borrowed to pay the dividend ... and all the 'risks' they highlighted seem to be coming to fruition.

The only thing missing is a profit warning .... oh no not another one

16-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Winner not as bad as FTX which I can see possibly in recievership. CAV has a lot to fall yet unless currency rates change drastically. This one in my opinion will bottom round the $1.30 to $1.50 mark somebody will grab it for the brands at that point. even if they split the brands up a bit. Could even be a buy for Warehouse at this sort of price. and end up being a big supplier to their opposition. Definately would raise there Store profile. Please note this is pure speculation.

Dazza
16-05-2005, 08:59 PM
sigh... im still in.. man u guys are saying pretty bad stuff about it?

will leave it as such... sigh 2.87!!! man come back...

i tink ill even at 2.70 if it goes back up there

winner69
17-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Down again today to 232 but even worse on ASX being down 6% odd.

So to korrow looks like Enigmas prediction of below 220 in NZ will come true ... don't know about that 130-150 though

Obviously Just Groups poor sales has alarmed the rag trade again today, just to compound the overall retail gloom in Australia

The recent fall has even happened with a bit of insto buying as well ... not a good sign

PBG not one to be in at the moment ... dazza, you are a long term holder waiting for that 270?

Dazza
17-05-2005, 06:15 PM
yeah i guess ill be a long term holder
currently registered on their DRIP

who knows what mite happens sigh...... oh wellz

winner69
19-05-2005, 07:31 AM
A bit in the SMH would be alarming news for Pacific Brands holders (and those involved with any Australian retail stock or their suppliers)

(quote) .... with retailers under the pump with plenty of profit warnings from the little guys and caution from the big kahunas, there's scuttlebutt doing the rounds that Coles Myer is cancelling orders from suppliers.

Charlie Aitken from Southern Cross Equities wrote to clients that "unlisted suppliers to Myer tell us that Myer is cancelling orders, particularly in clothing".

Aitken wrote: "These contacts believe 'sales' are not working as everyone is on 'sale' and they believe we are on the cusp of 'fire sales' across the discretionary retail space as June 30 approaches.

"We continue to urge extreme caution on all forms of domestic retailing and that includes Coles Myer and Billabong."(quote)

19-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Winner69 newspaper report suggests that Westfield Malls will hold there big July sales in June to keep their own profits up so turnover or lack of is apparently hurting them to.

Dazza
24-05-2005, 09:35 PM
enigma
afta looking just at the brands at the moment *will check out their reports again soon*

i still back them with their brands..

if u hadnt noticed their underwear brands are strong, with the half yearly having a good rise :D
BONDS/BERLEI/HOLEPROOF are very wellknown underwear brands, in which low-middle income families will buy... they are stocked in big stores such as FARMERS.

love kylie.. i must say they are going a bit slower than i had anticipated...

their footwear does also have good brand names
which are in the HANNAHS stores... where does ur kids buy their school shoes from eh?!
julius marlow
hash puppies
grosby
CAT
are all good names

for their home comfort...
sleepmaker by far is the best?

i have been stung heavily from warehouse group

but i tink this company has teh stuff to pull it back up :D

K9
01-06-2005, 01:21 PM
well PBG seem to have broken the recent steep downtrend well and truly today. The break through 245 was a good sign

As Winner pointed out Instos had been buying up pretty big to and CBA have just spent another $70m+

taking stake to 18% or 93m shares from 64m early May.

trend seems to have turned for you dazza:)

winner69
12-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Since the buying stopped price slipped back a bit last weak and now only 230 in OZ

Retail looks pretty depressing in Aust and with all the carry ons globally around textiles I wouldn't say PBG isn't worth the risk even at these perceieved low prices

Dazza
17-06-2005, 02:07 PM
been reaching the 2.40 mark in OZ
i see this as the resistance
once it passes this, its going to rocket.

otherwise its going to fall a bit

Sky Tower
17-06-2005, 02:13 PM
ramper! :D
You're right it is either going to rise or fall a bit :D

Sky Tower
17-06-2005, 04:08 PM
still got this DOG in your portfolio eh?

Dazza
18-06-2005, 01:53 PM
hahhaa ramper :D nar nar
just using my TA skillz for a bit

yes unfortunately i do ><
this and also RPL, going to shell them out , need to free some cash , gonna buy me some real stocks :D

limegreen
18-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Think you should have been practising your TA skills a bit earlier. Now looks more like a BUY than a SELL. A bit of TA discipline would have you well out. Perhaps the lesson with this is that even if you miss the best technical out, there's such a thing as better slightly late than holding (see also FTX and NOG/OC). This looks a little like too late.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/limegreenz/pbg17jun05.gif

As well as the turn in OBV, downtrend break, there's also a bullish divergence with the RSI.
That said, I know nothing of their business, and there are doubtless better buys out there...

K9
18-06-2005, 02:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by K9

well PBG seem to have broken the recent steep downtrend well and truly today. The break through 245 was a good sign

As Winner pointed out Instos had been buying up pretty big to and CBA have just spent another $70m+
taking stake to 18% or 93m shares from 64m early May.

trend seems to have turned for you dazza:)

picked up 18 days ago limey

limegreen
18-06-2005, 03:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by K9
picked up 18 days ago limey

That post wasn't intended to highlight a buy call, but querying why - given that Dazza has given this stock some sort of TA onceover - he is considering selling now.

Dazza
18-06-2005, 10:25 PM
ive only used my TA skillz lately limegreen, remember i only join this investment scene not so long ago :D

but yes i agree, i wont sell when its going up :D

just pointing the fact that, the 2.40 AU mark is a crucial one, if it passes that mark, then its gonna be going up :D

if not, then its gonna fall back down a little again and maybe try again another time :D

i know that i should have sold earlier but didnt... oh wellz :(

refering to FTX - i sold at 1.55 making around a 10% loss, didnt use TA to sell it, just gut feeling , they keep on saying that the high kiwi is hurting them... when the kiwi came back down around 3 cents.. i saw the price didnt move in tandem.. then i thought screw it cya later..

with NOGOC , i realise in hindsight i should have jumped ship at 67cents... but i was too greedy trying to get my 1 bagger which was at 72 cents ><

my dad goes 'told ya son, that the OC's would be cheap around conversion time :('

at least i have learnt :D

limegreen
19-06-2005, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty new myself (well, like yourself, I've had some shares for a while, but only recently taken an active interest). I haven't really gone for FA at all. It seems to involve more work than I have time for.

I wouldn't stress about $2.40 too much. If it goes below $2.30, then you might consider selling.

Incidentally, I reckon when NOGOC went below 60 that was the real technical exit. I held for a little longer, but managed to get out before the real blood-bath. If you'd sold at 67c, well with hindsight, that'd be pretty freaking brilliant, but would have been a bit of a fluke I think.

Oh. And just to return a bit of mud re-FBU. Where's your stop on ATR???

Dazza
19-06-2005, 03:31 PM
i didnt buy FBU limegreen , unfortunately im cash strapped ><

limegreen
19-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Heh. Bugger. Although what I meant was, you were harassing me about my FBU stop when it was going down. So now I'm returning the favour and asking you where your ATR stop is...

Dazza
19-06-2005, 09:07 PM
well if u had followed it, sold at 6.50
and picked some at 5.50 u would have saved a buck hehehe ;D

limegreen
19-06-2005, 09:56 PM
nicely done!

Dazza
20-06-2005, 05:42 PM
2.40 mark has been breached

reached a high of 2.48 in todays trading with good size trades, howeva profit taking prob from day traders, pushed the share down to finish +1.

if the 2.40 platform is stable, with also being in a bull market for the oz, we could see i nice rise :D

reporting season for them will be soon aswell, hopefully we can see equal or more than expected profit :D

looking forward to another phat divi maybe..

Sky Tower
20-06-2005, 05:53 PM
just sell the DOGs in your portfolio and buy some FBU!

:D

Dazza
22-08-2005, 05:06 PM
you beauty :P
superb result out *havent analized it*

but i guess the market did sure LOVE IT!!
closed at $3 today or 9% higher!!!!

for a blue chip that is!!

K9 u still holding!

it breached past the 2.40

then smashed the 2.50 mark off which fell a bit and didnt even need to test the 2.40 level..

off which it closed on friday at 2.60 and today went to 2.75

these prices are for the ASX off course

note: PBG was only one of the retailers in oz that didnt issue a profit warning!!!

eg, CDO, just group?, billabong?

muahahha

not to mention its got a DRIP system too!!

PLK
22-08-2005, 09:08 PM
i still hold it since IPO
but sold half of it at about 2.67 few weeks ago
damm....

Dazza
15-09-2005, 08:41 PM
same PLK i sold half at that price too or abouts there.

its rocketed to 2.89 today!! or 3.10 on nzx market

bumper season for clothing retailers.

bullish outlook for 2005/06

still hold some, and they are great!!!

PLK
15-09-2005, 08:56 PM
sorry i dont have it anymore
sold all at 3.02
and that was before recorded date of 7.5cents dividend

dammmmmm

Dazza
16-09-2005, 08:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by PLK

sorry i dont have it anymore
sold all at 3.02
and that was before recorded date of 7.5cents dividend

dammmmmm

ah that was my initial idea, cause u know always rise alot just be4 ex-divi.

yet howeva i thought about.
PBG its annual report was bumper, very bullish for the next season
also good retail thoughout

so i kept it

guess it paid off, cause i have 7.5cents divi plus a 10cent increase in the fpos so double whammy for me

is it only me thats holding this 'dog'

Dazza
16-09-2005, 10:01 PM
well seems like its just me holding this baby

ASX closed at 2.90!!! from a high of 2.93
while on NZX it closed up 4c to 3.14

if you guys read the announcemnts , some instos are buying it up and in big amounts!!!

even afta the recent divi.

still IMO have a 15%+ run to go, high has been 3.50 in ASX, which IMO will reach that point with the outlook

i will expect a breather at 3 where it will sit awhile be4 it shoots to 3.50

also looking at the market depth on the ASX
mid week - there was masssive sell orders at 2.90 off which we have breached today.

i see 2 BIG sell orders at 3.02 and 3.03 each 100k respectively.

so we will see a consilidation at 3, be4 it sky rockets to 3.50

the indicators still looking good!

winner69
14-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Indications not all that good now dazza ... even though from your disclosures I presume you took your money and ran

Back below IPO price after telling analysts and others things weren't going to plan before telling the market yesterday that this is so.

However very vague as usual ... not a good sign I think.

In spite of what they have said in the past PBG have struggled to consistently reach the expecations of many .... and credibility of management must be starting to diminish ... the old cockroach theory.

Remember that after the half year last Feb the PBG share price in Aust fell to about 210 in the subsequent few months ..... this years result is worse ... market sentiment is worse .... sort of says that come April/May PBG could be down to 200 (in OZ) or even less

Dazza
14-01-2006, 07:51 PM
yes i took my money and ran towards CAZ so im greatfully happy.

sold out with a small profit abeit!
i have learnt from my 2 IPOs FTX and PBG... it was a bad decision to buy into them.

oh well all good for me, as i didnt take the big fall with them.

retail IMO is crap.. apart from PPL and MHI, the others are just gravy.. so i have called it quits for retail for awhile...

if i want retail ill get it when i own my own pharmacy.

regards

Dazza
16-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Call for investigation into Pacific Brands share slump

16.01.06 1.00pm

Calls are mounting for a stock exchange investigation, after shares in dual-listed Australian clothing and homeware supplier Pacific Brands slumped sharply a day ahead of a profit warning.

Pacific Brands chief executive Paul Moore admitted the clothing company's investor relations manager spoke to a Macquarie Equities analyst the day before Friday's earnings downgrade, the Sydney Morning Herald reported today.

The paper quoted an unnamed institutional fund manager, who holds Pacific Brands shares, as saying it was "an open secret" last Thursday that the maker of Berlei bras and Bonds singlets had discussed earnings forecasts with analysts, sparking speculation a profit downgrade was "in the pipeline" and sending the shares sliding.

On Friday morning, Macquarie Equities cut its rating on Pacific Brands. Within hours, Pacific Brands said first-half earnings would fall as much as 5 per cent from a year ago.

In New Zealand, Pacific Brands -- which in November bought the bedware and merino business of iconic local firm, Arthur Ellis -- fell 13 per cent to $2.55 on Friday.

Mr Moore told the Sydney Morning Herald that Pacific Brands' investor relations manager Katherine Cooper spoke with a Macquarie Equities analyst at about 11.30am on Thursday. He said he was "comfortable" the company's earnings were not discussed.

Mr Moore said he "categorically" denied any suggestion of impropriety, adding media interest was a "beat up".

In 2004, Macquarie Equities was joint lead manager of the A$1.25 ($1.36 billion) float of Pacific Brands.

Mr Moore said he returned from holidays on Thursday night to deal with an informal Australian Stock Exchange query on the share price move and heavy trading volume. The ASX again queried the company before the sharemarket opened on Friday.

Pacific Brands on Friday said its earnings before interest, tax and amortisation (EBITA) for the December half year was expected to be two to five per cent below the previous corresponding period's A$90.6 million result.

Pacific Brands, whose goods are sold primarily through the major department and specialty stores, has joined the likes of Super Cheap Auto and jewellery retailer Michael Hill International in experiencing soft Christmas sales.

- NZPA

Dazza
16-01-2006, 10:46 PM
lucky me eh, lucky #2...
this happened to FTX in which some of u posters may know i brought at IPO and decided to sell...

and look what has happened to PBG... i would sell if u are still holding....

who knows mite fall to 50cents...

DISC- no motives in my words... just watch out ppl...
crooks i say!

winner69
18-01-2006, 08:16 PM
dazza ... lesson is obviously never get tempted to buy into an IPO when the beneficiaries are a private equity outfits like CVC Asia Pacific ... after all they are only realising/maximising thier own investment and seem uncanny at judging when growth has stopped and there is nothing left in the companies they get rid off.

Theres an old saying "never wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty, and the pig likes it." ... true in this case eh ... and Feltex's

see PBG down to 227 in OZ today ... not too bad for something floated at 250 less than 2 years ago

winner69
11-11-2008, 08:41 PM
dazza ... lesson is obviously never get tempted to buy into an IPO when the beneficiaries are a private equity outfits like CVC Asia Pacific ... after all they are only realising/maximising thier own investment and seem uncanny at judging when growth has stopped and there is nothing left in the companies they get rid off.

Theres an old saying "never wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty, and the pig likes it." ... true in this case eh ... and Feltex's

see PBG down to 227 in OZ today ... not too bad for something floated at 250 less than 2 years ago

Shareprice improved after that post but syre has taken a beating the last week or so and close to a $1 ,,,,,,, and a PE about 4

market sure don't like losers do they but then many have never agreed with me that markets have and might again trade at average PEs of 7 to 8 and if that is the average than 4 is not too bad

Will be interesting where PBG goes.

winner69
20-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Shareprice improved after that post but syre has taken a beating the last week or so and close to a $1 ,,,,,,, and a PE about 4

market sure don't like losers do they but then many have never agreed with me that markets have and might again trade at average PEs of 7 to 8 and if that is the average than 4 is not too bad

Will be interesting where PBG goes.

When investor sentiment turns sour anything can happen

PBG down to 36 cents now (above post was 11/11 and it was over a $1)

The other day they said that they would still pay a 3 cent dividend early next year .... and another 3 cents after the June result was known

So 6 cents in dividends likely next 12 months ..... all for 36 cents at the moment

Market saying PBG going broke ..... can't be true

winner69
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
When investor sentiment turns sour anything can happen

PBG down to 36 cents now (above post was 11/11 and it was over a $1)

The other day they said that they would still pay a 3 cent dividend early next year .... and another 3 cents after the June result was known

So 6 cents in dividends likely next 12 months ..... all for 36 cents at the moment

Market saying PBG going broke ..... can't be true

Well well .... down another 50% ... this 50% doesn't sound so painful does it compared to other 50% drops .... only 18 cents down

Sacking thousands of workers .... including those who make the army stuff in Levin ..... cutting out many of their brands .... writing a bit of the huge amount of goodwill off ..... and by the way giving the boss a decent pay rise .... and still she goes down

What happens when the bankers take over ..... but those nasty private equity people did OK a few years ago eh

Wonder who'll own them next .... been through a few owners over the years

Dr_Who
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey Winner, are you buying any at these prices?

POSSUM THE CAT
03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Winner have a read of some of the Australian Newspapers

winner69
03-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Winner have a read of some of the Australian Newspapers

Getting stuck into them eh .... they love that CEO don't they .... hardly worth getting the promotion was it .... not so bad i suppose ...plenty of dosh.

Funny thing in NZ was that the NZ Army got the blame for putting 70 odd out of work in Levin .... nobody realised that the workers were actually doing work for yakka and it was them who decided to move to china ... not the army decision

..And Dr .... no not buying at these levels ..... never know what might happen day to day here .... trading halt could happen at any time and then one is stuck

POSSUM THE CAT
04-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Winner Would you agree another Feltex in the making?

winner69
24-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Doesn't look like things have changed very much over the last year or so as another loss reported and the shares slump once again .... maybe some punters have done well if they rode it up from 50 to 100 plus .... but the real losers are those mums and dads (let's call them that) who got sucked in with the glossy magazines to be part of company with iconic brands

interest cover getting pretty critcal .... how long will it be before the bankers give up and we see this banished to the scrap heap

POSSUM THE CAT
25-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Winner 69 They cut half their market out by only making under wear for the 15 to 30 year olds They only make product for those that wear hipsters they ignore the rest of the market. So unfortunately they deserve to go broke.

winner69
11-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Probably many mums and dads still looking at their investment in this company with such iconic brands diminishing month by month - didn't private equity do a good job with the IPO and then the banks couldn't stop falling over themselves to lend more ... and more

The SMH sort of handing out the last rites .... another disaster on the horizon for mums and dads I fear

Rag trader stretched at the sea
http://www.smh.com.au/business/rag-trader-stretched-at-the-seams-20110610-1fwy8.html

winner69
10-01-2012, 02:03 PM
and finally a bit of talk about the greedy private equity people interested in PBG puts a bit life back into the share price .... but jeez isn't it still very low

And so sson after the losing the right to put a the little sticker on some guys cricket bat .... what a stupid world we liVe in

Go KKR ... put the long suffering shareholders who bought into this icon a few yaers ago out of their misery .... they will always buy it back from you in a few years time when you have rape and pillaged what you can out of it

nextbigthing
18-06-2014, 08:09 PM
http://data.iguana2.com/pacbrands/news-item?N=407274

Cheap for a reason I guess.