View Full Version : fair value for WPL

luckysexice
18-01-2006, 06:21 PM
can some one tell me what is the fair value for WPL

winner69
18-01-2006, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by luckysexice

can some one tell me what is the fair value for WPL

$41.80 seems to be a pretty fair value today .... probably different tomorrow though if sentiment or the price of oil changes

ASXIOU
18-01-2006, 08:15 PM
:D:D

mark100
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
If you think oil will bottom out in the low $100's then a nice opportunity to purchase WPL might be in the making. If oil drops another $10-15/barrel I can see WPL in the mid $40's.

I reckon that would be a great medium term entry point for WPL. Lower risk LNG exposure than the spec coal seam gas plays.

Looking at a 12 month chart a TA novice like myself sees a bit of support in the mid $40's as well

mark100
10-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Bought into WPL today @ $38. Only bought 25% of my 'target holding' for WPL for the moment. Market thinks oil is going to $50, maybe it is but it won't be for the long-term in my view.

Market has also ignored the cushion WPL is getting from the lower AUD. When oil was US$140 and AUD was 0.96 the AUD oil price was A$146. Now at US$83 and AUD at 0.67 the A$124. Only down 15% in AUD terms.

Oil went up on US$ weakness and fears of high demand/low supply. Now oil is going down on US$ strength and fears of lower demand. We're in the shoulder season at present and with northern winter approaching oil demand may pick up again.

WPL may go lower but at $37-38 I think it presents a great opportunity to buy an energy company with long life assets and growing production on a PE of around 10-11 and yield of 5%. When WPL can be bought on such attractive metrics why bother with the mid cap oilers, the majority of which have short life assets and spend all their cash flow trying to replace reserves?

soulman
18-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Bought into WPL today @ $38. Only bought 25% of my 'target holding' for WPL for the moment. Market thinks oil is going to $50, maybe it is but it won't be for the long-term in my view.

Market has also ignored the cushion WPL is getting from the lower AUD. When oil was US$140 and AUD was 0.96 the AUD oil price was A$146. Now at US$83 and AUD at 0.67 the A$124. Only down 15% in AUD terms.

Oil went up on US$ weakness and fears of high demand/low supply. Now oil is going down on US$ strength and fears of lower demand. We're in the shoulder season at present and with northern winter approaching oil demand may pick up again.

WPL may go lower but at $37-38 I think it presents a great opportunity to buy an energy company with long life assets and growing production on a PE of around 10-11 and yield of 5%. When WPL can be bought on such attractive metrics why bother with the mid cap oilers, the majority of which have short life assets and spend all their cash flow trying to replace reserves?

Mark, you still in WPL? Seems to break the support of $36. Could this spell $29 in the near term for WPL? We'll see.

Huang Chung
18-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Was just reading the WPL thread on HC, and someone is picking $26 as a target. I think if it gets below $30, I'd be buying like there's no tomorrow.

mark100
18-11-2008, 09:32 PM
No I sold on the spike in early November and don't feel inclined to buy back in at the moment. WPL released production guidance last week which was below my expectations and also that of the market. The other thing that has started to concern me with WPL is the massive amount of capex that they have to spend in the next few years. A large portion is being funded by debt and WPL's gearing ratios are going to be getting a bit on the high side for my liking.

I much prefer STO in comparison however don't even hold them at present as I also sold them in the early Nov spike. STO has net cash rather than net debt and is more likely to be bid for. Plus the PNG LNG project holds a lot of as yet unrecognised value. I would like STO below $12 but may be tempted around current prices in the market stabilises.

soulman
21-11-2008, 07:51 PM
A low of $26.81 today. Anyone grab WPL because I think that would be the low and it should spike up to $33 before receding.

I will stay on the sideline completely now especially for resource stock. I think BHP and RIO still has downside risk.

Huang Chung
21-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Started picking WPL up around the $37 mark, thinking that was cheap :(.

What a brutal couple of weeks.....

soulman
21-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Started picking WPL up around the $37 mark, thinking that was cheap :(.

What a brutal couple of weeks.....

Looking ahead, I think you bought CBA as well before the technical drop to $29.00. I did the same with SGB, WES and LEI. Although, it's good to see a reasonable result from MQG.

WPL at $37 was the support and when it broke that support, it's gonna drop another $10 bucks. Just like CBA support at $38. and Cabcharge at $6.50. Will CAB drop to $5.00. Will soon see.

The next that might drop below the zone looks like ASX. And if it close below $28.90, should go another $8. All in the guessing game. It hasn't improve me technically yet but I am starting to learn little bit and pieces.

The Big Ease
21-11-2008, 08:43 PM
there is talk of wpl abandoning/stalling their 13.5b project in order to shape up to the govt over some issues like condensate taxes.

mark100
21-11-2008, 11:50 PM
there is talk of wpl abandoning/stalling their 13.5b project in order to shape up to the govt over some issues like condensate taxes.

Which is why OSH and STO have outperformed WPL by such a large margin lately. The PNG LNG project is not governed by Australian law and don't have to worry about Dudd's condensate tax and potential ETS. I won't feel sorry for any Labor party voters who lose their job as a result of any delays WPL faces

Huang Chung
22-11-2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.aspecthuntley.com.au/websitefiles/licensee/researchlink/wordmlimages/2008-11-21/WPL/0.png
http://www.aspecthuntley.com.au/websitefiles/licensee/researchlink/wordmlimages/2008-11-21/WPL/1.png

Capital expenditure should decrease from 2010. The next 2 years look like a great time to build a health position. Pluto is going to be huge!

Corporate
31-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Alright...is anyone still following/holding WPL. Even now on the back of Pluto WPL seems cheap...it's such a big company though so it is taking me an ages to thoroughly research it!

mark100
31-10-2010, 10:21 AM
It's always on my list Corporate. I trade it a bit but can't see anything catalyst to drive it higher in the short-term. Great long-term investment though

Corporate
31-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi Mark

Mark, thanks for your comment. Do you think that commissioning of Pluto in early 2011 will not have a big impact on WPL?

I've just read the half year presentation (all 55 pages) and WPL are talking a 40% increase in revenue.

I really like the long term nature of these projects, compared to all of the small oilers with <10 year diminishing production profiles.

Corporate
03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm still pondering WPL on and off. Currently sitting on a PE of 18.5ish and pluto is expected to increase operating cashflow by 50%.

macduffy
19-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Apropos of nothing in particular, here's an amusing (revealing?) little item from the AFR:

"MARTIN Luther King had a dream. Winston Churchill had blood, sweat and tears. Ronald Reagan declared it was morning again in America. Marie Curie pioneered the study of radioactivity. Vincent van Gogh cut off his ear.

What do all these immortals have in common? They have been privileged enough to share space with two other great leaders, Woodside executives Peter Coleman and Vince Santostefano, on giant banners dominating the foyer of the gas producer's Perth headquarters.

Each enormous placard features an inspirational quote, designed no doubt to provoke Woodside's employees to ever higher peaks of achievement. For example, Curie's poster quotes her as saying: ''The way of progress is neither swift nor easy.'' That's something those working on Woodside's gargantuan Browse project or its pantagruelian Sunrise field would already know.

There are murmurs abroad that Browse, Australia's second-biggest LNG project (after ginormous Gorgon) might not go ahead, while Sunrise has long been mired in disputes with East Timor.

Advertisement

The North Korean-style display apparently formed part of the ''Woodside Compass'', a little blue book of maxims to live by that includes aphorisms as catchy as: ''We make and execute decisions in line with our business priorities and our values.''

On Saturday, alas, the banners came down, leaving Woodside worker ants to struggle on as best as they can."

I don't hold WPL.

RRR
05-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Got in a few months ago. Still not expensive and dividends will increase.

modandm
06-08-2013, 08:38 AM
problem with WPL is that if the US starts exporting LNG to Japan LNG prices will fall. That and costs of production in Aus are high.

soulman
13-06-2014, 04:12 PM
What's going on with WPL today. Up $1.00 on a beaten up market? Any thoughts?

macduffy
13-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Possibly a reaction to the Iraq situation and the firming oil price?

soulman
14-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Possibly a reaction to the Iraq situation and the firming oil price?

Ahh...keen eye. Dead on. Most producers all up today with the likes of COE, SXY, BPT and DLS.

WPL was always a value since their dividend payout ratio was adjusted upwards last year. Now the value has been truly recognised.

RRR
17-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Woodside buying back 9.5% of Shell's stake at a discounted price of A$36.5! Shell selling another 9.5% to institutional investors at market price of 41.65! I think shareholders have got a good deal. Debt will increase but manageable.

zigzag
17-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Taking Shell off the share register has removed a big overhang. I don't hold, but do find the oil/gas sector an addictive distraction. Currently hold OSH, OEL and NZO.

soulman
24-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Woodside turns out to be an income play for investors. Nice yield and solid outlook. The best div yield in the producer oil/gas sector.

Still have uncertainty about the shares Shell holds. But maybe BHP might make a tilt at WPL.

Joshuatree
20-05-2022, 12:50 PM
The sale of BHP's energy assets to Woodside(WPL) have been approved with BHP holders getting 1 WPL for every 5.5340 BHP shares in the form of an in specie divi, fully franked. But us Kiwi investors cant make use of the franking component and will get less WPL shares.Can anyone confirm this and how much would we miss out by?, thanks.
Re 917 million WPL shares will be issued and it will list in the uSA.

moimoi
20-05-2022, 02:13 PM
The ratio is the ratio ... A franking credit or lack thereof shouldn't affect this...imo.

Nor
20-05-2022, 02:36 PM
Sell BHP before the record date to an Australian who can use the franking credits and buy BHP and/or WDS after the record date? Would expect prices to be favourable especially as WDS expected to drop some.
Note question mark - not a financial advisor.

Joshuatree
20-05-2022, 02:47 PM
Yes thats what im planning if i dont get clarity, thanks Nor. The pure play energy trend is my friend as we most prob head into recession.BHP x date 25th. And recycle into more WPL /energy stocks.

Thanks moimoi , i get you ,but because its in the form of an inspecie divi?

Joshuatree
27-05-2022, 03:08 PM
Woodside has changed its ticker to WDS Woodside energy (from WPL) following its purchase of all of BHP's energy assets.Im holding through.May buy more if BHP sell off their new WDS shares.

nztx
27-05-2022, 03:16 PM
The SP of both BHP & WDS appears to be gaining ground in recent days too

possibly the smell of nice juicy dividends in near future ?

Joshuatree
06-06-2022, 09:33 PM
The SP of both BHP & WDS appears to be gaining ground in recent days too

possibly the smell of nice juicy dividends in near future ?

Woodside has opened at £19 A$33 in the UK. So far so good.

nztx
08-06-2022, 05:11 PM
Once again looks like Woodside are firing on all cylinders today ..