PDA

View Full Version : SFR sandfire res

donnie
19-10-2006, 02:56 PM
It looks like SFR should break through $1 over the next few month its had a great run over the last 6 month.

trackers
25-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Can't believe noone ever picked this one up, in two years this has gone from a couple of cents to $7. Any holders out there?

macduffy
25-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Can't believe noone ever picked this one up, in two years this has gone from a couple of cents to $7. Any holders out there?

Only indirectly, in a very minor way, via OZL's 19.9% shareholding. And OZL has over 3 billion shares on issue!

steve fleming
25-09-2010, 08:21 AM

Trackers - Whatsup has been on it for a while:

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?6912-Sandfire-SFR-anyone-watching&daysprune=30

But yeah, great story.

A genuine grass-root junior explorer that came good through a massive discovery.

trackers
25-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Trackers - Whatsup has been on it for a while:

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?6912-Sandfire-SFR-anyone-watching&daysprune=30

But yeah, great story.

A genuine grass-root junior explorer that came good through a massive discovery.

Thanks Steve, completely missed it :) Now just to find the next small cap minerals explorer that will go the whole way - I still like AVB but its obviously less attractive at triple the market cap

whatsup
26-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Steve, completely missed it :) Now just to find the next small cap minerals explorer that will go the whole way - I still like AVB but its obviously less attractive at triple the market cap

In my H O AVB doesnt and wont have the goods!

STRAT
27-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Gudday Whatsup.
Want to elaborate on that?

whatsup
27-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Gudday Whatsup.
Want to elaborate on that?

1/-Have a look at the numbers coming out from the exploration,
2/- there are a huge number of shares on issue,
3/-little $ers in the kitty,
4/- a play thing for day traders which cannot help,
5/- a small foot print of a ore body with a very small high grade deposit. could be open to the west and east-time will tell.
6/- a very small copper deposit so far, I think only 25,000 tons
Better to look at RXM - Aussie based with better numbers.

trackers
27-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi whatsup, I'd tend to agree with your comments, particularly #5... But if they are able to extend the resource to the west and east, plus prove up a bigger resource at serra verde up the road then it could be a game changer... But thats not as it stands today...

Its not to say AVB won't be successful, just that in its current state it won't be the next major

STRAT
27-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Whatsup.
I appreciate your answer.

1/ Early days for sure. I have to agree
2/ Not worried. Market cap is all that matters to me.
3/ Yup but not too worried
4/ Hell yeah and isnt it a beautiful thing to watch lol. I hope they keep it pumping today too
5/ It is tiny but very cost effective to dig up.
6/will do and thanks.

Calling it the next SFR is pie in the sky at this point but its been a nice little number thus far and has certainly put a smile on my face.

I was expecting a significant retrace. I suspect there are quite a few punting on the next announcement. If it doesnt deliver we can expect a decent and fast fall I reckon. Hope Im ready with my finger on the trigger for that.

NoVice
27-09-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree Strat. It's too early to call it & probably not likely to be, another SFR but the assets & earnings potential are encouraging when compared to the MC.
I got out too early @ A$0.064 but I'm hoping once the traders get bored it will fall & I'll be back in.

whatsup
27-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks Whatsup.
I appreciate your answer.

1/ Early days for sure. I have to agree
2/ Not worried. Market cap is all that matters to me.
3/ Yup but not too worried
4/ Hell yeah and isnt it a beautiful thing to watch lol. I hope they keep it pumping today too
5/ It is tiny but very cost effective to dig up.
6/will do and thanks.

Calling it the next SFR is pie in the sky at this point but its been a nice little number thus far and has certainly put a smile on my face.

I was expecting a significant retrace. I suspect there are quite a few punting on the next announcement. If it doesnt deliver we can expect a decent and fast fall I reckon. Hope Im ready with my finger on the trigger for that.

Strat, there you are have a look at RXM and compare to AVB today one up 6% the other 1.5%, RXM has the goods-- does AVB?

corporateraider
27-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Trackers
Here's my pick to be the next big (really) big thing.
Minotaur MEP
1)These were the guys who discovered Prominent Hill.
2) Head of Exploration has just been awarded Oz's most pretigious life science award
3) The biggy. They have discovered a geological formation that some are comparing to Olympic Dam. They compare it to Carapateena. (not theirs!) Carapateena has been sparsely drilled, but it has some very significant metres of Cu.
4) Talk is that Carapateena may sell for 500mill.
5) MEP only has a market cap of 26mill with 80mill shares.
6) The upside is huge with drilling to commence in Oct.
7) The downside risk is small with the company also having a huge conceptual resource of iron ore.

Disclosure -I'm in
P.S I know that you will do your own research. I recommend reading the last brokers report.

trackers
28-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks corp, its hard trying to dredge up stocks from scratch so its appreciated! I liked the look of MDS, but seems a bit illiquid for me at the moment so I'll definitely be checking out MEP

whatsup
29-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Strat, there you are have a look at RXM and compare to AVB today one up 6% the other 1.5%, RXM has the goods-- does AVB?

Wow, what a day AVB up 40% RXM down 3%, how wrong can you(me) be ( at present) !!!!

STRAT
29-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow, what a day AVB up 40% RXM down 3%, how wrong can you(me) be ( at present) !!!!Hi Whatsup. Im as amazed as you. When the announcement was recieved I assumed it would be the rest of the copper test results. Nope. Now while the announcement about the IO deal was good to see I for the life of me cannot explain that reaction to it.

Regardless. Im not unhappy about it:lol:

macduffy
15-11-2010, 07:34 AM
From The Australian.

KARL Simich has a story every junior explorer dreams of but very few get to live.
He found the big one -- a life-changing, company-changing copper discovery that saw the shares of his company, Sandfire Resources, shoot from 20c to $7.50 in just over a year.

But the road to success for the mining industry veteran has not been without a few bumps and he was forced to retrench most of his staff when the global financial crisis hit, because with only $3m in the bank, he thought it was time to batten down the hatches.

But he kept one driller on, who told him he should drill deeper holes on the site. So, five months after sacking most of his staff in November 2008, his small team discovered the DeGrussa copper-gold project in Western Australia.

"You have to be really, really resilient, persistent and consistent and exploration is not for orphans and widows," he says.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"You have to have the character and passion and ability to get up every day when you realise you are going to go out most days and fail. Exploration is all about dealing with failure, not success."

The success story of Sandfire Resources starts with a renowned prospecting geologist, the late Graeme Hutton, who had pegged the tenements -- 900km north of Perth near Meekatharra -- where the world-class discovery was found.

"The find was the culmination of that amazing, classic, Australian prospecting, of 'I'll get back there one day and have a look'," Simich says, adding Hutton had been over that ground 30 years previously.

"He had a place in Broome and you would sit around with him and talk about tenements and he had file notes and rocks and would talk about all the years he had walked over the ground. He had been over the ground in 1972."

Simich started his professional career as an accountant and didn't enter the lucrative world of resources until he joined a gold explorer in 1987, igniting his appetite for the risk-reward nature of the sector.

He has developed five mines but the surprise find at Sandfire is an achievement few explorers get to enjoy.

"This is an amazing story and an amazing development and is about sticking at your passion for the right reasons and being able to pick yourself up when things are tough," he says.

"Just before we made this discovery, we had a company that had $3m in it and we thought the world was over because of the GFC, so we retrenched just about all of our staff in November 2008. Five months after retrenching everyone, we made the discovery.

"It was a combination of good luck, grit determination and perceptive geology and all the planets lining up."

It was a 27-year-old female drill rig operator who made the discovery, after convincing Simich that, despite some poor drilling success, the company had to dig six deeper holes.

In April last year, the holes were drilled and the start of the discovery was made.

On April 30 last year, the company put out an early warning to investors that it had found something interesting and by the third week of May, results were released that essentially announced the discovery.

"We didn't know it was there but having made the discovery, it was almost like you could do it in a day," he says.

The junior's stock has been on a rapid rise since the discovery but in only February last year, Simich had sat with a co-director and flagged that they should buy some more shares at 5c a share.

"We had too many grumpy shareholders and we needed to have a bigger interest in the company, but we didn't end up doing it," he says.

The stock has had a fairytale run and closed at $7.90 on Friday.

But not all investors were convinced when the discovery was first announced and it took a short while for the market to react.

"The sad thing about Australian investors is they didn't believe the results in the first instance and it took them some time to get in and buy," Simich recalls.

He is passionate about his company and wants to lead it to production and was surprised when OZ Minerals made a move on the junior earlier this year and took a 19.7 per cent stake in the company.

Simich refused OZ Minerals' request for a seat on his board and he is confident more success is to come from the flagship project, which he believes the team is well positioned to realise.

He has realised the dream of every junior explorer and despite the success he has had, Simich still sees himself as the champion of the smaller guys.

"We are simple guys, who roll our sleeves up and get dirty with the rest of them," he says.

"

As a holder of 19% shareholder OZL I'd like to see them get more closely involved. But I suspect they'd have to pay over the odds to do that and I can't see that happening.

macduffy
30-11-2010, 07:12 AM
SFR raises its resource estimate.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/sandfire-sure-fire-as-metal-stocks-skyrocket/story-e6frg8zx-1225962972502

Good news too for OZL.