PDA

View Full Version : TLS - Telstra

rymndchn
24-10-2006, 11:24 PM
I've had a look at the Telstra T3 offer and it looks interesting. However, it seems New Zealand investors will be charged an extra 10c per share as well as not having any rights to the bonus share scheme (compared to Australian investors)

So... would anybody recommend getting some shares in the share offering or is it better to wait until they list and buy the shares on market?

kura
25-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Nope, got my copy of T3 in mail yesterday, and deceided to leave the chequebook untouched.

BRICKS
25-10-2006, 11:44 AM
rymndchn junior member forget TLS and concentrate on NZ SHARES.. [8D]

troyvdh
25-10-2006, 05:58 PM
bricks....thats a bit harsh.rymndchn could have perhaps have used an existing threads perhaps but given the exposure that this is having in nz its a fair query me thinks.
Ive been overseas for a bit and am trying to decide what to do.me thinks that it s probably a good deal or rather the boffins behind it will have ensured to a point it aint going to be a dog like t2.or perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part.

go smm.

BRICKS
26-10-2006, 08:56 AM
troyvdh member forget TLS and concentrate on NZ SHARES.. [8D]

waikare
26-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Interesting............ So far Rymndehn has asked the question, to buy or not to buy, Kura is saving on his bank fees, Bricks is backing "Buy NZ Campaign" and Troyvhd thinks its probably a goer.

Not a great deal of advise to work with is there.

moe
26-10-2006, 09:10 PM
theres are thread someone on the ASX forum with a bit more insight about the T3 offer.

Lawso
27-10-2006, 08:24 AM
quote:posted by rymndchn
. . . it seems New Zealand investors will be charged an extra 10c per share as well as not having any rights to the bonus share scheme (compared to Australian investors)
No one seems to have explained why NZers are charged this extra 10c. And you have to pay in Oz dollars, which means paying for a bank cheque if you don't have a bank a/c over there.
In all, I figure each T3 share will cost around NZD2.50. It might make more sense to wait for the float and buy on market, ifor those who really want to buy [more?] TLS.

kura
27-10-2006, 08:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lawso

quote:posted by rymndchn
. . . it seems New Zealand investors will be charged an extra 10c per share as well as not having any rights to the bonus share scheme (compared to Australian investors)
No one seems to have explained why NZers are charged this extra 10c. And you have to pay in Oz dollars, which means paying for a bank cheque if you don't have a bank a/c over there.
In all, I figure each T3 share will cost around NZD2.50. It might make more sense to wait for the float and buy on market, ifor those who really want to buy [more?] TLS.

As vendor is the OZ govt, I suppose they are entitled to favour their residents over NZ (NB: All institutions also have to pay the extra 10 cents, and also miss out on bonus shares) These two features were only made available to retail investors who reside in OZ. (Govt politicians wanting to earn some points/votes for giving the average Joe public a better deal than anyone else gets.

After reading prospectus, not only have I decided not to participate in T3, but I have also decided to dispose of my existing TLS holding. Too much regulatory uncertainty for me, yes dividend seems attractive, untill you realise dividend isn't even fully covered by earnings. The cynic in me also wonders if TLS price has been supported somehow to manage the T3 sale process.

Snow Leopard
27-10-2006, 04:12 PM
SO we have 2 T3 threads with this the first and established one.
Just about any broker I have ever had the misfortune to give my email address to has contacted me already. OK so they have to shift a serious amount of scrip with this one so perhaps that explains the state of my inbox but you wonder whether supply is going to exceed demand.

rymndchn
27-10-2006, 08:12 PM
After reading more of the prospectus, I agree with some of the above posters in that Telstra seems to be facing a lot of regulatory concerns. However, the final price is based on the one set in the institutional offer so maybe the final price will end up quite low due to the risks?

Lawso
18-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Telstra and T3 keep powering ahead:) TLS hit 500 on the NZX yesterday and TLSCC 335,

Spooked by all the negativity on ST, I applied for only 3000 of the TLSCC - about half of what I first intended to buy. With the exchange and bank charges, they cost me 244cps. Now I'm looking at a 91c paper profit in two months.

I'd be interested to hear what the naysayers, such as respected guru Paper Tiger , have to say about T3 since its listing.

Lawso
18-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Telstra and T3 keep powering ahead:) TLS hit 500 on the NZX yesterday and TLSCC 335,

Spooked by all the negativity on ST, I applied for only 3000 of the TLSCC - about half of what I first intended to buy. With the exchange and bank charges, they cost me 244cps. Now I'm looking at a 91c paper profit in two months.

I'd be interested to hear what the naysayers, such as respected guru Paper Tiger , have to say about T3 since its listing.

troyvdh
01-02-2007, 01:06 PM
T3 appear to be a doing well.
I would be interested if Phaedrus,Bambi consider TLS as a buy.As someone who usually focuses on the fundamentals I am somewhat confused at the moment.

waikare
15-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Payment for TLSCC (Telstra Receipts) is due by the end of the month, what are best / cheapest our options in regard to making payment in Aust. dollars.

dragonz
13-03-2009, 10:00 AM
When is the record date for divie?

ananda77
21-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Future Fund flogs Telstra
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,,25959541-643,00.html?from=marketwatch_rss

'Overnight $2.37B worth of Telstra shares were bought from the Future Fund weighing on the ASX200 Index as funds look to raise cash to cover. Telstra (TLS) is down 2.5% to $3.56'

...think this is an excellent opportunity to buy the shares in a defensive stock at a depressed price especially with the company going ex dividend Monday 24th

Kind Regards

buns
01-10-2010, 08:06 AM
That Aus roll out will be Fibre, which will be NBN owned and not Telstra - so when that is all done and in the home, Telstra's current (and perfectly good for another 5-10+ years) copper network will slowly erode away..

Still trackers - this is now an all time low, 15% div with the exec stating this WONT change in FY11.

Skol
09-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Including DY up 26% in the last year. Probably more in it yet, got a good assessment in the AFR the other day.

Snoopy
13-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Including DY up 26% in the last year. Probably more in it yet, got a good assessment in the AFR the other day.

..but maybe a better or at least more timely assessment by me here, way back on September 2nd, when the share price was $A3-

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?1783-TEL-v-TLS&p=356007&viewfull=1#post356007

I always find it more satisfactory to dig out the value of an investment before the price runs up, don't you?

SNOOPY

discl: hold TLS

waikare
05-09-2014, 07:42 AM
BUY BACK

I have been in the market since 1986, and in that time have read and studied numerous documents, and on occasion sought second opinion, and clarification, but the current Telstra Share Buy Back booklet would have to rank as probably the most confusing I have come across.
Just glancing at the tender form gave me the impression that it was designed by an ex IRD executive and for the booklet, I not going to bother trying work out what the advantages or disadvantages are for me.
So in this instance I intend to biff it, as the Buy Back is entirely voluntary.

However they do advise as this document is important, and if you do not understand it you should consult your professional adviser, and give a website and phone number should you require further information.

Snoopy
05-09-2014, 09:41 AM
BUY BACK

I have been in the market since 1986, and in that time have read and studied numerous documents, and on occasion sought second opinion, and clarification, but the current Telstra Share Buy Back booklet would have to rank as probably the most confusing I have come across.
Just glancing at the tender form gave me the impression that it was designed by an ex IRD executive and for the booklet, I not going to bother trying work out what the advantages or disadvantages are for me.
So in this instance I intend to biff it, as the Buy Back is entirely voluntary.

However they do advise as this document is important, and if you do not understand it you should consult your professional adviser, and give a website and phone number should you require further information.

Waikare, the buyback is designed for Australian investors as a way to best return capital to them to minimise their own capital gains tax requirements. In New Zealand any returns from this scheme are likely fully taxable. This is not a good deal for NZ shareholders. What ever you do, do not participate in this buyback. Your returns will be far better if you just sold the equivalent amount of shares on market.

SNOOPY

sharer
05-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Waikare, the buyback is designed for Australian investors as a way to best return capital to them to minimise their own capital gains tax requirements. In New Zealand any returns from this scheme are likely fully taxable. This is not a good deal for NZ shareholders. What ever you do, do not participate in this buyback. Your returns will be far better if you just sold the equivalent amount of shares on market.
SNOOPY

Precisely my opinion as well.
discl: also hold.

NZSilver
10-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Who owns tls on the NZX< i guess its better than buying on the asx if you are in NZ. Good div yield! whats the deal with the div it is payed into nz bank accounts directly or an aud cheque

ace5715
10-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Who owns tls on the NZX< i guess its better than buying on the asx if you are in NZ. Good div yield! whats the deal with the div it is payed into nz bank accounts directly or an aud cheque
Holding since the first Telstra float. They pay into NZ bank account, they have also just restarted the drp scheme.

waikare
01-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Has any one else not as yet received the Dividend Statement for the payment that was due on 23 Sept 16, as I have elected DRP share have been allocated, but no statment

Jerry
25-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Hi out there!
No one has had much to say about Telstra for about a year. The shares have come down and down. Now PE 11.58 and EPS 34c
Gross Div Yld 8.5%. Looks a bit tempting. Where's the elephant?

JayRiggs
25-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Hi out there!
No one has had much to say about Telstra for about a year. The shares have come down and down. Now PE 11.58 and EPS 34c
Gross Div Yld 8.5%. Looks a bit tempting. Where's the elephant?

They will be cutting their dividend by 30% to 22c AUD next year.
So the gross yield going forward will be more like 6% at current prices.

Jerry
25-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Ah! Thanks, Jay.

peat
25-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Sure the divi will be cut, but also there is a future earnings hole as the NBN work completes and people disconnect from copper. Given the size of Telstra its quite a big hole. As in a billion or two.
Telstra are like Chorus and Spark combined , except unlike Spark they havent thrown off their legacy incumbent image by a brand change. So whether you rate them to fill those lost earnings is the big question in my view. Because unless they do that, the dividend will get cut further in the future (say early 2020's)

peat
16-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Telstra making a spreadsheet available - but disappointingly its had the formulas removed which makes it pretty useless really.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/about-us/investors/pdf-e/1H18-Results-Supporting-Material.xlsx (https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/about-us/investors/pdf-e/1H18-Results-Supporting-Material.xlsx)

see weed
27-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Was tempted with the 11c div so put an order in to buy 11,000 this morning and moved the order up 1c every 3 minutes from 3.72c to 3.75c and left it there for 5 or 10 minutes. No sellers, no liquidity, nothing going on, so quickly cancelled order and jumped back over to SKC for a 3.85 buy order. Wow 3 pages over 12 years on here. I don't expect a reply to this posting until next year:D.

hardt
27-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Was tempted with the 11c div so put an order in to buy 11,000 this morning and moved the order up 1c every 3 minutes from 3.72c to 3.75c and left it there for 5 or 10 minutes. No sellers, no liquidity, nothing going on, so quickly cancelled order and jumped back over to SKC for a 3.85 buy order. Wow 3 pages over 12 years on here. I don't expect a reply to this posting until next year:D.

TLS has proven to be a yield trap... SKC is the way to go IMO

couta1
27-02-2018, 07:16 PM
TLS has proven to be a yield trap... SKC is the way to go IMO Yep, got skunked collecting the last divvy, bought in before they announced they were giving their future divvies a serious haircut, no imputation credits to boot.PS-I prefer SPK still by a long shot.PPS-SKC is a no touch share for me.

BlackPeter
11-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Hmm - just trying to drastically increase the posting frequency on this thread ;).

For some reason is TLS still in my spreadsheet (used to hold a handful of shares more than a decade a go) - and just having a cursory review of its credentials.

TA: A consistent and unbroken downtrend worthwhile using as school book example. Non existent growth (well, but some negative growth on the EPS CAGR :p); revenue flat lining.

On the other hand - PE starts to look semi-attractive - it dropped (thanks to a dropping SP) below 10.

Obviously - never buy into a downtrend, but I am wondering whether this dog with fleas might be at some stage a candidate for the "dogs of the ASX" - portfolio?

Anybody knows whether they are just hoping for a pleasant and unspectacular exitus ... or is there still some life left in this dog? I guess they are in a really exciting industry (telecommunications), but it feels nobody told their management ...

hardt
13-06-2018, 01:57 AM
Hmm - just trying to drastically increase the posting frequency on this thread ;).

For some reason is TLS still in my spreadsheet (used to hold a handful of shares more than a decade a go) - and just having a cursory review of its credentials.

TA: A consistent and unbroken downtrend worthwhile using as school book example. Non existent growth (well, but some negative growth on the EPS CAGR :p); revenue flat lining.

On the other hand - PE starts to look semi-attractive - it dropped (thanks to a dropping SP) below 10.

Obviously - never buy into a downtrend, but I am wondering whether this dog with fleas might be at some stage a candidate for the "dogs of the ASX" - portfolio?

Anybody knows whether they are just hoping for a pleasant and unspectacular exitus ... or is there still some life left in this dog? I guess they are in a really exciting industry (telecommunications), but it feels nobody told their management ...

They are a big lumbering oaf of a company that can't react fast enough to consumers needs and have had trouble fending competition off the massive piece of pie they have... favouring of investments now might make a difference.

TLS had a net margin of 9.83% / Revenue of 873k and 93k NPAT per employee
SPK had a net margin of 11.57% / Revenue of 657k and 76k NPAT per employee

It seems NZ is the better place to be a Telco, only reason to buy TLS is for that dividend really and it only just beats out Sparks.

couta1
13-06-2018, 06:08 AM
They are a big lumbering oaf of a company that can't react fast enough to consumers needs and have had trouble fending competition off the massive piece of pie they have... favouring of investments now might make a difference.

TLS had a net margin of 9.83% / Revenue of 873k and 93k NPAT per employee
SPK had a net margin of 11.57% / Revenue of 657k and 76k NPAT per employee

It seems NZ is the better place to be a Telco, only reason to buy TLS is for that dividend really and it only just beats out Sparks. Could be a reasonable buy under $3 although the divvies are not imputed for us kiwis, I see it as better value currently than SPK which looks overvalued at its current SP. I reckon the stock is worth a punt for upside potential.

RTM
13-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Could be a reasonable buy under $3 although the divvies are not imputed for us kiwis, I see it as better value currently than SPK which looks overvalued at its current SP. I reckon the stock is worth a punt for upside potential.

For what its worth its on the Motley Fools recommendation list since April. Don't hold....but that dividend is sure appealing.

BlackPeter
13-06-2018, 11:24 AM
For what its worth its on the Motley Fools recommendation list since April. Don't hold....but that dividend is sure appealing.

I guess as long as the current SP trend prevails - it can only get better (the dividend yield, this is ...) ;);

theace
13-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Any pros or cons of buying TLS on the NZX vs ASX?

couta1
13-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Any pros or cons of buying TLS on the NZX vs ASX? No in terms of being able to use the franking credits.

Investor
13-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Any pros or cons of buying TLS on the NZX vs ASX?

Exchange rate risk

Onion
13-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Exchange rate risk

Exchange rate risk exists irrespective of the exchange you trade through.

BlackPeter
13-06-2018, 12:01 PM
The only differences I can see are liquidity (much more volume going through on the ASX) and trading times ...

All other things are equal - hey, it is the same share after all :);

RTM
13-06-2018, 12:09 PM
I guess as long as the current SP trend prevails - it can only get better (the dividend yield, this is ...) ;);

Thanks for that BP...and that is exactly why I don't own them !

peat
13-06-2018, 01:08 PM
I've been burned by Telstra. Only a small holding bought for yield quite a while back, and so yeh I've lost capital on this. Hard to understand the original decision now but at this point I've decided to bottom drawer it and get the yield I was happy with back then. I have however held back from doubling down as realistically it is hard to see how this monster will re-invigorate itself.

Investor
13-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Exchange rate risk exists irrespective of the exchange you trade through.

If you buy the shares in AUD, you are exposed to further exchange rate risk as you own shares in AUD. This should not of required an explanation. It is different to own them on the ASX & NZX because of this.

mfd
13-06-2018, 02:41 PM
If you buy the shares in AUD, you are exposed to further exchange rate risk as you own shares in AUD. This should not of required an explanation. It is different to own them on the ASX & NZX because of this.

The value on the nzx will fluctuate with exchange rate though. You experience the same exchange rate risk in a slightly different way. I.e. if you buy on the nzx and the nzd strengthens, all things being equal your shares lose value as the company is valued in aud.

peat
15-02-2019, 10:07 AM
https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/investing-in-telstra-is-a-game-of-regulatory-roulette-20190214-p50xqa.html

peat
19-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Its very difficult to have the faith that Penn is asking for when the numbers seem to just get worse and worse

peat
20-03-2020, 10:10 PM
Telstra's covid update says they will still meet guidance, just, maybe.
And the billion dollar dividend is still going out.

Jerry
10-09-2020, 07:43 AM
I don't understand why, given the boom in online business, Telstra is projecting a lower EPS for next year, falling EBITDA and DPS. This is a major player and surely should be looking up. Anyone explain, please?

bull....
10-09-2020, 08:05 AM
I don't understand why, given the boom in online business, Telstra is projecting a lower EPS for next year, falling EBITDA and DPS. This is a major player and surely should be looking up. Anyone explain, please?

its to do with there NBN obligations

peat
12-11-2020, 09:20 AM
Growth forecasted in 2022 !!!

We expect our total Enterprise business to return to growth in FY22 after combining mobile, Data & IP,NAS and International, and adjacencies such as Health to contribute to our turn around

waikare
07-04-2021, 08:10 AM
Delisting

As TLS are delisting from the NZX at the 16th June, the announcement released on 26 Mach, stated we can still trade our shares via a NZ stockbroker.

Would it be more prudent to sell prior to 16th June, or sell after the 16th, through the likes of Direct Broking are the any additional cost involved.

I have been intending to sell my TLS holding for some time, the dividends are payed in $Aust, with no imputation credits attached.

Biscuit
07-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Delisting

As TLS are delisting from the NZX at the 16th June, the announcement released on 26 Mach, stated we can still trade our shares via a NZ stockbroker.

Would it be more prudent to sell prior to 16th June, or sell after the 16th, through the likes of Direct Broking are the any additional cost involved.

I have been intending to sell my TLS holding for some time, the dividends are payed in $Aust, with no imputation credits attached.

I don't know, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious advantage to waiting til after the 16th rather than selling now. I've held these for many years and will go on holding them. They're not a great investment but every dog has its day eventually?

peat
07-04-2021, 09:37 AM
I will add them to my ever so slowly growing Australian portfolio... it seems like a cheap way of diversifying - although that diversification probably already existed in fact.

Norwest
07-04-2021, 11:31 AM
I believe the sum of TLS's parts are worth more than TLS is valued at collectively. If they do end up splitting out and buying NBN it will be a win/win for shareholders.

Delisting from the NZX is one of many first steps to make this easier to complete so I see this as a positive for TLS.

peat
17-06-2021, 11:06 AM
gone from NZX now.... TLS.NZX shareholders will automatically receive equivalent TLS.ASX and still get paid divi's in NZD same as always.

Another delisting for the NZX , probably not one that NZ people care about too much despite it being a massive company. but another one not paying NZX any more fees.