PDA

View Full Version : SKT Sky Network Television Limited.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

mistaTea
06-07-2020, 03:47 PM
IFT disclosure of P Newfie’s buying some shares on market on 30 June...

Any remaining theories around IFT buying Sky are completely out of the question now?

No way would he be allowed to buy shares last week if discussion were happening around a potential acquisition.

PHEW!! I was getting worried for a bit there!

Ogg
06-07-2020, 04:09 PM
IFT disclosure of P Newfie’s buying some shares on market on 30 June...

Any remaining theories around IFT buying Sky are completely out of the question now?

No way would he be allowed to buy shares last week if discussion were happening around a potential acquisition.

PHEW!! I was getting worried for a bit there!

He bought stock 3 days before the Vodafone acquisition!

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/IFT/334183/299421.pdf

Ogg
06-07-2020, 04:16 PM
You think IFT are currently getting some kind of pre-approval from the Comcom before they launch a takeover bid?

No, it would have to be publicly announced anyway. They might have gotten some pre-hearing advice though.

---------------

On another note. The domain vodafonetv.co.nz has now become publicly available! Just lol.

https://www.dnc.org.nz/whois/search?domain_name=vodafonetv.co.nz

RIP to defending their brand name.

Should I register it and redirect it to Sky TV? :D

mistaTea
06-07-2020, 04:18 PM
He bought stock 3 days before the Vodafone acquisition!

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/IFT/334183/299421.pdf

Ahh! So my sigh of relief may yet be premature!

mistaTea
06-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Lightbox unavailable from 10PM tonight. More evidence that they are using the Lightbox app as their platform moving forward.

Tomorrow morning I will get to take the new app out for a spin. I’m very excited!

Baa_Baa
06-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Relax mate. I was taking the piss.

I’m relaxed, unlike the big minor holders talking up a takeover. Use the emoji if you’re being sarcastic, or taking the piss, otherwise it’s hard for anyone to tell whether you’re being serious or not. Just saying.

Joshuatree
06-07-2020, 08:39 PM
It could be construed as a boiler room pump gang on here albeit very entertaining;)

dompf
06-07-2020, 09:26 PM
Sky viewership from a few weeks ago post lockdown looked promising for NRL &Super Rugby https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12340652

Plenty of people I’ve spoken to have picked up streaming service for live sport but I’m happy to wait until a report from the company comes out detailing their results probably (August).

With what’s happening across Florida unsure about an NBA return (I hope so, but Florida and states are still getting hammered By Covid ) surprised NRL still unscathed; hopefully this stays like this. Still;... NZ positioned Extremely well; their delivery on live sport and the reduced cost of deals for live sport look ok for Sky, Martin doing his job negotiating this down.

Online platforms from my own experience look good; from the mobile/tablet though I’ve personally still had few issues with logging in. But main computer & laptops through chrome is almost perfect and easy to navigate Enjoying the sport content that Sky is delivering at the moment.

I really hope Sky TV can corner the sport streaming market in NZ and do a good job at it, we will see, so many competitions seem to be pretty advanced with this already and perhaps Sky missed the memo years ago but we are here now.

Satellite on Friday was good news; looking for some positivity In their reports in August with viewership and some realistic positioning of how they see their own future in the coming years would be great.

GL to all holders.

Ps I’m not buying in to takeovers; (I love the idea Ogg, Mistatea) but if a company can’t produce Something on their own then they don’t deserve a take over. I want Sky TV to move forward, adapt and not be a relic as their are many good things about their service. Lets be fair, their shares are diluted and dirt cheap, maybe people said that a year ago and are looking at a -80% return. Hehe. Can it go lower? Maybe; can it go higher maybe? but I really believe they have the ability to be on the right path.

Here’s to hoping.

GL

Ogg
06-07-2020, 09:36 PM
Almost forgot about today's troll post:

Below is post from Geekzone a couple of days go, in which a Vodafone representative answers a question from a customer regarding Vodafone TV:

Question: "A few of my mates are into WWE, are you able to book WWE PPVs like off Sky Arena?

Answer: "Not currently, but we are looking to implement this once we have all VTV boxes on the same billing system (currently Vodafone TV operates on 4 different billing systems, but we intend to move all VTV units to the same "standalone" billing system and then we can implement PPV charging)"

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40&topicid=254293&page_no=123#2517259

Once we have all VTV boxes on the same billing system!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

airedale
06-07-2020, 09:42 PM
A Threepenny Opera: I will be happy when the fat lady , not just Rick Astley , sings😃

Joshuatree
06-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Ive noticed SKY doing alot of advertising and promoting recently. Disclose not holding but am a sky subscriber.

Cadalac123
06-07-2020, 10:52 PM
Ive noticed SKY doing alot of advertising and promoting recently. Disclose not holding but am a sky subscriber.

Well they got a big gush of capital flowing into the company, guess they are making use to it. The capital raising def helped this company at a point where it needed it.

mistaTea
07-07-2020, 06:56 AM
NEON has upgraded on my iPhone. It is the Lightbox app that they have kept and enhanced - bye bye old NEON.

Can’t log in at the moment, and when I first launch the app it still says ‘Lightbox’ for a split second. When I try log in - I get a message saying they are working on something and will be up and running ‘shortly’.

The new app shouldn’t have been released to the App Store until it was fully ready.

Christ I hope they haven’t f*cked this release up.

mistaTea
07-07-2020, 08:19 AM
NEON has upgraded on my iPhone. It is the Lightbox app that they have kept and enhanced - bye bye old NEON.

Can’t log in at the moment, and when I first launch the app it still says ‘Lightbox’ for a split second. When I try log in - I get a message saying they are working on something and will be up and running ‘shortly’.

The new app shouldn’t have been released to the App Store until it was fully ready.

Christ I hope they haven’t f*cked this release up.

Whatever the problem was - resolved now.

App looks good. I like the new branding!

Ogg
08-07-2020, 10:23 AM
Mediaworks CEO leaving.

CLEAR THE DECKS! It's about to happen. Big shake up is coming!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12346381

"Things are also looking positive for the sale of TV and we hope to make an announcement in the coming weeks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmvHJpCkfM

mistaTea
08-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Mediaworks CEO leaving.

CLEAR THE DECKS! It's about to happen. Big shake up is coming!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12346381

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmvHJpCkfM

Oh Jesus! Don’t get me worked up again I might have to go buy another bottle of Krug!

Baa baa: this is an attempt at humour. Please don’t take the comment to heart.

Loser69: no, I still do not secretly pray for a takeover for the reasons I outlined earlier. I am consistent.

Joshuatree
08-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Looks like fun for you day traders.

Quantitative Easing
08-07-2020, 02:25 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/122069876/spark-sport-confirms-last-minute-deal-for-england-cricket-rights-for-next-four-years

Oh dear...Jeff Latch-ing onto cricket. This means Sky has lost the Ashes rights for games in England?

Ogg
08-07-2020, 02:38 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/122069876/spark-sport-confirms-last-minute-deal-for-england-cricket-rights-for-next-four-years

Oh dear...Jeff Latch-ing onto cricket. This means Sky has lost the Ashes rights for games in England?

Bu bu but Monopoly...

https://stoppress.co.nz/news/spark-formally-opposes-proposed-skyvodafone-merger/

"[Spark doesn't] believe the proposed merger is in the best interests of New Zealand consumers and so [the merger should] not go ahead in its current form...Sky had a monopoly on rights for premium ‘national sports’ in New Zealand.”

Just lol at Sparking cuckolding NZ consumers. What a joke. Consumers now paying more $$$ for sports content.

The Vodafone and Sky merger needs to go ahead ASAP!

Quantitative Easing
08-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Spark are the biggest cronies in corporate NZ.

1) Lobby comcom.
2) Block Sky Vodafone merger.
3) Behave like how Skodafone would have behaved if merged.

Spark privilege in this country is real. Sky TV matters. Lets hit Aotea Square and march for equality in corporate Aotearoa.

mistaTea
10-07-2020, 04:55 PM
More media speculation today that a US buyer is about to buy MediaWorks for $30-$40M.

Speculated that it is Discovery.

Strong denials from MediaWorks but they have lied in the past.

Surely if a US company was buying this kind of asset in NZ they would also want to nab Sky?

Ogg
10-07-2020, 07:51 PM
More media speculation today that a US buyer is about to buy MediaWorks for $30-$40M.

Speculated that it is Discovery.

Strong denials from MediaWorks but they have lied in the past.

Surely if a US company was buying this kind of asset in NZ they would also want to nab Sky?

Just lol

Who the hell started this rumor?

The NZME reports don't provide any evidence - they just say a "source", which to me means it's just hearsay from a few employees.

Discovery would have been interested, as they bought Top TV recently, but I still stand by my previous thesis which is:

TV3 WAS NEVER FOR SALE!

This is the current ownership structure of TV3:

↓TV 3

↓Mediaworks TV Ltd

↓Mediaworks Investment Ltd

↓Tokyo Opportunities B.V.

↓Oaktree Capital

Brookfield Asset Management

Why would Brookfields buy up all the debt of Oaktree, only to sell the assets for $30m to Discovery less than 1 year later. Complete wtf to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM1-aJpGaZ4

Brookfields own Vodafone NZ. Why not merge the assets together!

Ogg
10-07-2020, 08:02 PM
For $30m, Brookfields is better off keeping TV3 and running Vodafone ads all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUB-wjXUREE

winner69
11-07-2020, 04:47 PM
This guys got the right idea what to do with his spare cash ...good on him

I believe that there is growth in Sky shares. Big investors have a lot of money invested otherwise they would be miles away. I have been sinking my $20 weekly spend into Sky at between 14.5 cents and 17 cents. Gather over 3000 share so far.

Cadalac123
11-07-2020, 05:19 PM
This guys got the right idea what to do with his spare cash ...good on him

I believe that there is growth in Sky shares. Big investors have a lot of money invested otherwise they would be miles away. I have been sinking my $20 weekly spend into Sky at between 14.5 cents and 17 cents. Gather over 3000 share so far.

Awesome display of support for this value investment

Reminds me of the $3 million AUD shares bought on ASX last minute on friday

Ogg
11-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Awesome display of support for this value investment

Reminds me of the $3 million AUD shares bought on ASX last minute on friday

Wow, I missed that. That's a decent parcel.

As it's on the ASX, it must have been Perpetual selling to Blackcrane.

sb9
12-07-2020, 09:32 AM
Wow, I missed that. That's a decent parcel.

As it's on the ASX, it must have been Perpetual selling to Blackcrane.

Here it is..

4:27:14 pm
$3,602,253
Late Put Through,Crossed

Balance
12-07-2020, 09:40 AM
Here it is..

4:27:14 pm
$3,602,253
Late Put Through,Crossed

Underwriters letting go of stock?

If so, who's buying?

If not underwriters, who is selling?

Ogg
12-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Underwriters letting go of stock?

If so, who's buying?

If not underwriters, who is selling?

If it's a cross trade it's probably UBS clients returning borrowed stock and closing out accounts etc, as there is now no longer enough volume to manipulate the share price and make a profit. They're the only ones doing all the dodgy trading with the ISDA agreements. Either that or Blackcrane hoovering up the left overs of the placement as they're with UBS too.

UBS is also advising Mediaworks with the TV3 sale, (*cough, restructure), so they're finger prints are all over this.

My guess is that something big is going to happen in the next couple of weeks with TV3, Sky and Vodafone. I'm betting on a big mega merger with Brooksfields bankrolling everything.

Getty
13-07-2020, 11:07 AM
I see in the WHS quarterly ann. that Noel Leeming sales were up 31.6%.
Presumably they weren't all steam irons and washing machines, but big Tv's on which to watch their new SKY subscriptions...

Sideshow Bob
13-07-2020, 12:04 PM
I see in the WHS quarterly ann. that Noel Leeming sales were up 31.6%.
Presumably they weren't all steam irons and washing machines, but big Tv's on which to watch their new SKY subscriptions...

Probably a lot of laptops, cables, screens, docking stations etc for people to "work" from home (while watching their now big-screen TV) ;)

Xerof
13-07-2020, 03:28 PM
And the biggest seller of all pre-lockdown level 4 was apparently printers, according to the printer salesman at Hardly Normal

That'll be to print out the TV schedule??

Ogg
13-07-2020, 04:04 PM
Last: $0.146 ↓0.7%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wVFvtowR6I

Matrossi
13-07-2020, 04:38 PM
I think we are all crossing our fingers for a Pacific Edge come back .... but losing confidence for their vision when they missed out on the ashes (cricket)

Dlownz
13-07-2020, 05:14 PM
I don't think we will see any movement till the August results. Hopefully they are better than forecast. With the sports rights hopefully not being fully paid out along with the lightbox neon merger (lightbox no longer free) we will see a improvement. For awhile hopefully they under promise and over deliver. Was a shame to see spark sport get another little scalp. Since rugby wrapped up for the foreseeable future the nrl could be the next big scalp. Sky would need to get the Premier football back and stop charging the extra to watch it like they were doing.

RTM
13-07-2020, 06:05 PM
I don't think we will see any movement till the August results. Hopefully they are better than forecast. With the sports rights hopefully not being fully paid out along with the lightbox neon merger (lightbox no longer free) we will see a improvement. For awhile hopefully they under promise and over deliver. Was a shame to see spark sport get another little scalp. Since rugby wrapped up for the foreseeable future the nrl could be the next big scalp. Sky would need to get the Premier football back and stop charging the extra to watch it like they were doing.

Its a pain in the A. trying to decide what to have
Sky
Sky Sport
Netflix
Apple TV
Disney
LightBox / Neon
SparkSport
Prime Video (Amazon)
YouTube
Fox / CNN / CNBC Streamed
There are probably others
and of course NZ Freeview
And finding time to watch any/all of it.
Jeeze !

Ogg
13-07-2020, 08:41 PM
Sky
$25.50

Sky Sport
$31.99

Netflix
$16.99

Apple TV
$8.99

Disney
$9.99

LightBox / Neon
$13.95

Spark Sport
$19.99

Prime Video (Amazon)
$5.99

YouTube
$15.99

CNN
$6.95

NZ Freeview
$0.00

Total cost per year = $1,875 (approx 1.8% of average household income)

blackcap
14-07-2020, 07:14 AM
Sky
$25.50

Sky Sport
$31.99

Netflix
$16.99

Apple TV
$8.99

Disney
$9.99

LightBox / Neon
$13.95

Spark Sport
$19.99

Prime Video (Amazon)
$5.99

YouTube
$15.99

CNN
$6.95

NZ Freeview
$0.00

Are you saying average household income in NZ is about $100,000? Come on pull the other one :p

Phil1964
14-07-2020, 07:42 AM
$102,613 according to https://www.stats.govt.nz/information-releases/household-income-and-housing-cost-statistics-year-ended-june-2019

Akane
14-07-2020, 08:12 AM
Are you saying average household income in NZ is about $100,000? Come on pull the other one :p

We're all on $100,000 here, you have some catching up to do! :p

Stranger_Danger
14-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Sky
$25.50

Sky Sport
$31.99

Netflix
$16.99

Apple TV
$8.99

Disney
$9.99

LightBox / Neon
$13.95

Spark Sport
$19.99

Prime Video (Amazon)
$5.99

YouTube
$15.99

CNN
$6.95

NZ Freeview
$0.00

You left one out of your table -

A single torrent site that allows you to get all the content you want from one place, regardless of who the creator or distributor is : $0.00

mistaTea
14-07-2020, 11:49 AM
You left one out of your table -

A single torrent site that allows you to get all the content you want from one place, regardless of who the creator or distributor is : $0.00

Yeah mate, you and others keep banging on about content theft. Yes, it is a real issue for the industry.

But Netflix and other platform subs continue to rise. Sky TV NZ subs are rising very fast now - about 1.1M subs now. The new NEON service is fantastic, and dirt cheap at $13.95/month ($9.99/month if you are a Spark Broadband customer).

Most people will do the right thing and prefer to pay for a content curator provided the platforms provided are excellent and the cost is 'reasonable'.

Ogg
14-07-2020, 11:53 AM
Sky TV NZ subs are rising very fast now - about 1.1M subs now

I doubt it's 1.1m!

I would have thought it's gone negative, down to ~900k because Lightbox users are no longer getting it for free.

mistaTea
14-07-2020, 12:01 PM
I doubt it's 1.1m!

I would have thought it's gone negative, down to ~900k because Lightbox users are no longer getting it for free.

I don't agree.

The new platform is compelling, with a huge amount of content from premium providers they did not have on Lightbox - HBO, FX, Showtime and more. SPark customers don't get it free after July 20...but $9.99/momth is chump change for what they get. I do not think there will be much attrition.

You will see a bit of a 'loss' of subs for customers (like me) who had NEON and Lightbox...those were counted as 2 subs before, where now it is going to be 1 sub. I am not sure how many old NEON subs also had Lightbox though.

Ultimately the overall trend will be an increase in subs for NEON as the platform will be more popular now. One of my younger siblings who is a real tight ass and never normally subscribes to things like NEON has signed up because the offer is compelling.

And then, in terms of overall subs...with RugbyPass offering Europe annual passes for US$54/year now ($4.50/month) I would think that would generate an explosion of subscriptions.

Not crazy to think Sky could hit 2M subs in the not-too-distant future.

Dlownz
14-07-2020, 12:16 PM
I don't agree.

The new platform is compelling, with a huge amount of content from premium providers they did not have on Lightbox - HBO, FX, Showtime and more. SPark customers don't get it free after July 20...but $9.99/momth is chump change for what they get. I do not think there will be much attrition.

You will see a bit of a 'loss' of subs for customers (like me) who had NEON and Lightbox...those were counted as 2 subs before, where now it is going to be 1 sub. I am not sure how many old NEON subs also had Lightbox though.

Ultimately the overall trend will be an increase in subs for NEON as the platform will be more popular now. One of my younger siblings who is a real tight ass and never normally subscribes to things like NEON has signed up because the offer is compelling.

And then, in terms of overall subs...with RugbyPass offering Europe annual passes for US$54/year now ($4.50/month) I would think that would generate an explosion of subscriptions.

Agree. Subs will have gone down but the fact that they will have paying subs is the biggy. I've gone full circle from downloading for free to paying for what I want. Quality over price.

Ogg
14-07-2020, 12:17 PM

As much as I want you to be right, I think you're dreaming.

Lots of Lightbox users will leave after the 20th July.

It will be a good achievement for Sky to just maintain 1m customers at the end of FY21.

This is why a Vodafone/Sky merger is important as Neon/Lightbox is a great add on to a 12 month broadband package. It's all about upselling and bundling, and having as much services on one account as possible.

mistaTea
14-07-2020, 12:29 PM
As much as I want you to be right, I think you're dreaming.

Lots of Lightbox users will leave after the 20th July.

It will be a good achievement for Sky to just maintain 1m customers at the end of FY21.

This is why a Vodafone/Sky merger is important as Neon/Lightbox is a great add on to a 12 month broadband package. It's all about upselling and bundling, and having as much services on one account as possible.

Have you used the new platform yet?

It is very very good mate. I think you are underestimating how popular it could be now.

NEON may well have just gone from NZ’s most hated platform to one of the favourites over night.

Ogg
14-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Have you used the new platform yet?

It is very very good mate. I think you are underestimating how popular it could be now.

NEON may well have just gone from NZ’s most hated platform to one of the favourites over night.

Nah haven't used it, but I don't think people will subscribe because of it's UI.

It's a hard sell as a stand only product it will remain popular as a bonus on a broadband plan.

mistaTea
14-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Nah haven't used it, but I don't think people will subscribe because of it's UI.

It's a hard sell as a stand only product it will remain popular as a bonus on a broadband plan.

LOL.

That’s like saying Netflix would only succeed if it was given away for free as part of a broadband deal.

NEON will do well now because it is a great platform and has a wide range of content at an attractive price.

Spark customers can bundle it in with their broadband for a paltry $9.99/month. People who aren’t with Spark can still get it for $13.95/month. That is super cheap.

You will find that the uptake is good over time. There will be many brand new customers - but also existing satellite customers will review their plans and decide to drop movies + SOHO in favour of NEON. It won’t have all of the movies etc they get on their satellite sub, but it will have most of the content and the price is compelling plus the platform is much easier to use.

Ogg
14-07-2020, 01:31 PM
You will find that the uptake is good over time.

What they need to do is jack the price up to $24.95 but then say you get it free with a 12 month Sky Broadband deal.

Peps will then think they're getting $25 off.

mistaTea
14-07-2020, 01:34 PM
What they need to do is jack the price up to $24.95 but then say you get it free with a 12 month Sky Broadband deal.

Yes indeed - and they will do that when they enter broadband in the next few months.

Or if IFT make their move and buy them soon...

Ogg
14-07-2020, 01:37 PM
Yes indeed - and they will do that when they enter broadband in the next few months.

Or if IFT make their move and buy them soon...

What's happening with that Sky and Feenix Communications deal? Who's that poster here with the inside scoop on that?

Surely that would have been signed by now if Sky are entering broadband market.

IFT deal more likely happening.

Zaphod
14-07-2020, 01:43 PM

Yes, unfortunately those psychological games must be played. It works well for Countdown, Mitre10 etc.

Ogg
14-07-2020, 09:16 PM
I might give Mark a call tomorrow and see how he's getting on with the Sky/Vodafone merger.

https://www.minterellison.co.nz/people/mark-forman (https://www.minterellison.co.nz/people/mark-forman)

Professional background:

Advised MediaWorks (and its shareholder Oaktree Capital Management) on the merger of MediaWorks with QMS, to form a $300 million plus multi-platform media business. The transaction included a ground-breaking merger structure. Mark is a trusted advisor to MediaWorks, advising on all aspects of its business, including on the high-profile sale process for MediaWorks TV, New Zealand’s only privately owned major free to air television network.

Advised MediaWorks in connection with its joint venture with NBCUniversal in relation to the Bravo channel, which replaced Channel Four in New Zealand. This transaction was awarded Consumer, Media and Tech Deal of the Year at the 2017 New Zealand Law Awards.

Advised Brookfield Asset Management on the New Zealand aspects of its AU$5.7 billion acquisition of Healthscope. Brookfield are one of the world’s largest asset managers, and Mark is a trusted advisor to Brookfield in connection with its New Zealand transactions.

Advised Metlifecare in connection with retirement village sales, as well as its employee share scheme arrangements.

Quantitative Easing
15-07-2020, 10:55 AM
I might give Mark a call tomorrow and see how he's getting on with the Sky/Vodafone merger.

https://www.minterellison.co.nz/people/mark-forman (https://www.minterellison.co.nz/people/mark-forman)

Professional background:

What is the significance of him with regard to Sky?

mistaTea
15-07-2020, 05:24 PM
Ok I better get in before Ogg shares another one of his theories...

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/356343

SHE IS NOT BOTHERING TO STAND FOR RE-ELECTION BECAUSE BY THE TIME WE GET TO OCTOBER SKY TV WILL NO LONGER BE A LISTED COMPANY!!

IT WILL BE MERGED WITH VODAFONE AND TV3!!!!

garfy
15-07-2020, 07:19 PM
You two are great!! Thank you both mistaTea and Ogg for your opinions on SKT. I have started to understand the covert dealings of 'big business' through both of your most interesting inputs. Long may your rivalry continue until....???

SpaceZ
15-07-2020, 08:17 PM
What is the significance of him with regard to Sky?

My understanding is this person is serving Brookfields Assets Management as his client in NZ.

1) Brookfield owned Oaktree and Oak Tree owned Mediaworks.

2) Vodafone is jointly owned by Brookfield and Infratil.

3) The link between Mediaworks and Vodafone can be established with Brookfield as the common (part) owner.

4) The missing link here is since Brookfields already owned Mediaworks, would they be interest to launch an interest to buy SKY?
hence the "big shake-up" as described by the outgoing CEO.

This is my first post.

mistaTea
15-07-2020, 08:35 PM
You two are great!! Thank you both mistaTea and Ogg for your opinions on SKT. I have started to understand the covert dealings of 'big business' through both of your most interesting inputs. Long may your rivalry continue until....???

Rivalry?!

WE ARE IN CAHOOTS!

Ogg
15-07-2020, 09:31 PM
Ok I better get in before Ogg shares another one of his theories...

Where do I start.

Firstly, the fact that board members are standing down without being replaced is a sign that things are coming to a conclusion.

It was obvious that she was brought in for the Vodafone merger as she came on board in mid 2015 and there are references to the merger all over her Linkedin profile.

https://nz.linkedin.com/in/susan-paterson-onzm-a65b8930

No need for her come October, as this company will be all "Red" not "Blue".

Just lol at her complaining she is too busy. Just look at her supposed replacement, Keith Smith, who has 100 directorships:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/skellmax-industries-ltd/news/article.cfm?o_id=192&objectid=9004676&ref=bebo

With her leaving, there's only 2 female board members. Seems like the company has no interests in having a 50/50 gender balance. No need to worry as it's all being dissolved anyway.

Just lol at "refreshing the board" when you have a zombie like Handley still rotting there. This bozo needs to go ASAP but he's too desperate for a job.

I bought more today at 14.3
I'm going down with the ship...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsi_0ey4CY4

Ogg
15-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Rivalry?!

WE ARE IN CAHOOTS!

Yeah, we keep bumping the Sky thread with our rubbish talk to each other.

blackcap
15-07-2020, 09:35 PM
IT WILL BE MERGED WITH VODAFONE AND TV3!!!!

You could well be right and SKT shareholders will get about 18 cents per share in the deal. You heard it here first.

Ogg
15-07-2020, 09:54 PM
You could well be right and SKT shareholders will get about 18 cents per share in the deal. You heard it here first.

MT will kill me for saying this, but 18c isn't inconceivable as an opening offer.

I'm hoping that Discovery Inc., after being stuffed around by Brooksfield in the TV3 sale will come to the party and make a bid for Sky as an alternative way to boost their recent NZ purchase of Choice TV.

If there are two active buyers for Sky then there's a chance of a "Sky UK" type bidding war. A 40c-50c finial offer is as likely an outcome as a low ball offer of 18c.

mistaTea
15-07-2020, 10:11 PM
MT will kill me for saying this, but 18c isn't inconceivable as an opening offer.

I'm hoping that Discovery Inc., after being stuffed around by Brooksfield in the TV3 sale will come to the party and make a bid for Sky as an alternative way to boost their recent NZ purchase of Choice TV.

If there are two active buyers for Sky then there's a chance of a "Sky UK" type bidding war. A 40c-50c finial offer is as likely an outcome as a low ball offer of 18c.

In this crazy situation anything is possible.

If the Board endorsed a low offer of 18c I would be shocked and disgusted - we would be better off continuing on with the current strategy...

But who knows what might happen with the various big players applying pressure.

A bunch of new instos just got in at 12c...18c represents a 50% return to them in short order so they wouldn’t mind.

But I don’t think an offer like that would get enough FOR votes in a scheme of arrangement.

RTM
16-07-2020, 09:30 AM
Who needs SKY when we have this thread ? Entertainment plus !
Getting dangerously close to my buy price.

mistaTea
16-07-2020, 11:50 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12348411

"The sale of MediaWorks' TV business to US firm Discovery is close and could happen "any day now," the Herald understands."

winner69
16-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Who needs SKY when we have this thread ? Entertainment plus !
Getting dangerously close to my buy price.

Maybe the entertainment should stop if the share price keeps falling

But RTM I see why you want it to continue ...I’d lower your bid price.

winner69
16-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Shareprice at all time record ......record low ...or was it lower last century

mistaTea
16-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Shareprice at all time record ......record low ...or was it lower last century

I wish you wouldn’t comment about things you don’t fully understand.

Your statement is so superficial.

Market capitalisation is the relevant factor in order to compare apples with apples. And before the Capital Raise sky tv’s market cap dropped to about $82M during the lockdown (about 18 or 19 cents per share as it happens due to there only being 436M shares outstanding at that time).

Sky’s market value right now is about three times that all time low. Because there are 1.74B shares outstanding the price as expressed per share is lower than before but only a complete jackass would think that is relevant.

Have a great day 🤗

Ogg
16-07-2020, 12:30 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12348411

"The sale of MediaWorks' TV business to US firm Discovery is close and could happen "any day now," the Herald understands."

"Any day now..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkS8k5iacw

I'll believe it when I see it. Dumbest move ever by Brooksfields.

winner69
16-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Sorry I pissed you off mistatea.

It’s just that directbroking show today’s price as a 52 week low

But those shares you mentioned that were 18/19 cents per cap raise are only 14 cents today ...arent they (suppose those who didn’t do the cap raise look at it that way)

Hopefully chart will tell me when to have another punt, irrespective of how many shares there are.

Ogg
16-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Stuff article just out.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122153209/mediaworks-tv-sale-result-expected-in-coming-weeks (https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122153209/mediaworks-tv-sale-result-expected-in-coming-weeks)

Is it weeks or days now? Who's the buyer again...
(https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122153209/mediaworks-tv-sale-result-expected-in-coming-weeks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJVa0fl01w

winner69
16-07-2020, 01:22 PM
OK ...I was sort of wrong

On an adjusted basis it looks like all time low share price is about 10 cents

This from directbroking ...not superficial or whatever

Ogg
16-07-2020, 02:05 PM
New Job available at Vodafone NZ

Business Transformation Manager

https://careers.vodafone.com/job/Business-Transformation-&-OE-Manager-12-month-Fixed-Term-Contract/609857101/ (https://careers.vodafone.com/job/Business-Transformation-&-OE-Manager-12-month-Fixed-Term-Contract/609857101/)

What's actually happening at Vodafone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnJzct7h3Dk

Entrep
16-07-2020, 02:36 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/JmyufT9zDTm4Cam9kR/giphy.gif

mistaTea
16-07-2020, 03:50 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Dumbest move ever by Brooksfields.

I do think that Discovery are about to buy Mediaworks - why would the media outlets keep singling out that company as buyer unless they had a reasonably reliable source?

So there goes the Mediaworks-Sky-Vodafone merger.

Also, if IFT was going to make a play for Sky - I think it would have happened by now. Your rationale for why IFT may be interested in Sky was good - I think the idea has a lot of merit. But I just don't see it happening now as I am not sure what they would be waiting for.

Of course, I stand to be corrected - and in this life things can happen very quickly and all of a sudden.

Ogg
16-07-2020, 09:17 PM
I do think that Discovery are about to buy Mediaworks - why would the media outlets keep singling out that company as buyer unless they had a reasonably reliable source?

So there goes the Mediaworks-Sky-Vodafone merger.

Also, if IFT was going to make a play for Sky - I think it would have happened by now. Your rationale for why IFT may be interested in Sky was good - I think the idea has a lot of merit. But I just don't see it happening now as I am not sure what they would be waiting for.

Of course, I stand to be corrected - and in this life things can happen very quickly and all of a sudden.

Don't believe everything you read.

One media outlet is saying the buyer is Discovery but they won't say who the source is. A deal like this would be highly confidential, so it would be a serious breach to have someone go leak information to the media.

Maybe Discovery is buying TV3 as a 'bolt on' investment to boost their presents in NZ. It does make sense if they can get it ridiculously cheap, which is possible, given the amount of debt Mediaworks has.

I had a look at the Discovery annual report:

https://ir.corporate.discovery.com/static-files/6fbe26f7-5bde-4bba-ac85-4c8d25baa659

Only half their income comes from advertising. The other half is distribution. So Pay TV and their partners are an important part of their business and I don't see them pulling channels from Sky or going 100% advertising only in NZ. If they buy TV3 it would be to up sell their other content or to promote more streaming/ondemand of their premium content.

TV3 is a very "kiwi" channel, with it's main assets being Newshub and it's 18-39 demographic pull. If you look at the Discovery annual report their brands are more aligned with older audiences so it's not the best fit.

I see a Mediaworks-Sky-Vodafone merger as more likely. Newshub could possibly be spun off as a 24 hour news channel, like Sky Australia. The relationship with Prime is also closer and it providers better up selling opportunities with Sky's payed content and Vodafone's future 5G offerings.

I guess we won't have to wait long to see what happens. Interesting times ahead none the less.

Dlownz
16-07-2020, 09:22 PM
I think being almost a month away we should start talking about the next result and what people guesses will be compared to sky's estimates. 😁

mistaTea
16-07-2020, 10:02 PM
I think being almost a month away we should start talking about the next result and what people guesses will be compared to sky's estimates. 😁

Yes I agree!

And if a dividend is reinstated in 2021 like the chairman suggested...how much can sky realistically pay out...

Dlownz
17-07-2020, 07:25 AM
Yes I agree!

And if a dividend is reinstated in 2021 like the chairman suggested...how much can sky realistically pay out...

Was it 2021 or 2022.

mistaTea
17-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Was it 2021 or 2022.

FY22...

So after June 2021? They might be able to issue a dividend at the end of next year of maybe 1c/share if underlying earnings hold steady and their entry into broadband + other capex initiatives are going well.

Sideshow Bob
17-07-2020, 08:10 AM
FY22...

So after June 2021? They might be able to issue a dividend at the end of next year of maybe 1c/share if underlying earnings hold steady and their entry into broadband + other capex initiatives are going well.

Sort of defeats the point of a capital raise if going to start giving straight back as divvies. But the FCF's........;)

RTM
17-07-2020, 08:21 AM
“NetFlix shares fall after earnings miss, weak subscriber guidance for third quarter”

Peoples viewing habits changing ? I know mine have.

Dlownz
17-07-2020, 08:36 AM
“NetFlix shares fall after earnings miss, weak subscriber guidance for third quarter”

I'm tired of Netflix. There's only a handful of good shows.

winner69
17-07-2020, 08:36 AM

We could get our 10 cent shares yet eh RTM

Especially now no takeover likely

Balance
17-07-2020, 08:41 AM

Inevitable conclusion by end of business today that if no takeover happens, then it will not happen - because whoever is interested could have made the play prior to the heavily dilutory rights issue.

mistaTea
17-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Inevitable conclusion by end of business today that if no takeover happens, then it will not happen - because whoever is interested could have made the play prior to the heavily dilutory rights issue.

What is so special about the close of business today?

RTM
17-07-2020, 09:27 AM

I’m having to be very patient.

RTM
17-07-2020, 03:03 PM
http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SKT/356477/326609.pdf

These guys aren’t waiting any longer for the deal of the century.

mistaTea
17-07-2020, 03:10 PM
http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SKT/356477/326609.pdf

Haha! Yes indeed, they clearly think there is zero chance of a takeover any time soon (I hope they are right!).

Still, they are making a quick 25% or so return on their 'investment'. Why not.

Ogg
17-07-2020, 03:27 PM

11m sold. Mostly in early and mid June when the share price was 16c-20c. They haven't sold in the last 3 weeks.

Some stock lent out to traders and clients who have likely been day trading.

Standard stuff really. Wouldn't read too much into it.

Ogg
17-07-2020, 03:49 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12348779

mistaTea
17-07-2020, 04:02 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12348779

This has been a long time coming.

I think a new competition that has more favourable time zones for kiwis will be fantastic for Sky TV.

The current local competition has been a resounding success. Why not build upon that with a clean slate...

Snow Leopard
17-07-2020, 04:37 PM
When will the share price stop going down?

Might put a bid in for 1.7 billion shares at 0.1c and wait :eek2:

Entrep
17-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Try 12c as a first stop

winner69
17-07-2020, 04:46 PM

Even then it’s quite a sizeable investment

CraftyBeer
19-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Will be interesting to see how many of the 130,000 active Lightbox subscribers that Sky purchased will stick with the merged Neon. I gave up SkyTV many years ago (too many ads, too expensive) so I can't believe I'm back as a Sky customer under Neon, however it does seem to provide a counter to Netflix given it has a number of good shows from HBO, AMC, Showtime etc. Spark will be billing me for Neon at 9.99 a month so I'm assuming Spark clips the ticket on that.

Ogg
19-07-2020, 12:33 PM
Hamish is backing posting on Geekzone.

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40&topicid=254293&page_no=126#2523932

With any broadband plan there is always some churn (people moving house, people changing providers etc) and so there is some churn of the VTV bundled with broadband. However, there is *lower* churn on the broadband plans that have VTV bundled... so customers like the product and this is why we offer it!

That's the aim of the game peps. It's all about low churn as margins are tight in this business.

You gotta hook the customer in with as many free bonus add ons so you can keep then signed up for life.

The new Vodafone Mega bundle deal:

Unlimited Fibre
5G Mobile plan
Free Vodafone TV
Free Neon
Free Sky
Discount with Trustpower

One easy monthly bill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqSANnhJVw

mistaTea
19-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Spark will be billing me for Neon at 9.99 a month so I'm assuming Spark clips the ticket on that.

I have pondered this too as I will also get my NEON added to my Spark bill fr $9.99.

I don't think Spark make any money on this. To clip the ticket in any meaningful way their wholesale deal with Sky would need to be, say, $8.99 per month. That would be only 64% of the normal retail price - which would seem like a staggering wholesale discount for Sky to offer.

I can't know what the arrangement is - but at best for Spark, I reckon Sky are charging them $9.99/month and they are just passing that cost on to consumers. That would represent about 72% of the normal retail price (which still seems like a staggering discount to me).

Alternatively, Sky may have offered Spark, say 15-20% off retail rates... and Spark are eating some of the cost. For example, Sky charge them $11.50 per customer...they eat $1.51 as the cost of providing another value-add to their customers to lower broadband churn and only charge $9.99 for the service.

I just can't see Sky making any money if they have offered a wholesale discount in the region of 30-35%.

mistaTea
19-07-2020, 03:25 PM
H
That's the aim of the game peps. It's all about low churn as margins are tight in this business.

You gotta hook the customer in with as many free bonus add ons so you can keep then signed up for life.

The new Vodafone Mega bundle deal:

Unlimited Fibre
5G Mobile plan
Free Vodafone TV
Free Neon
Free Sky
Discount with Trustpower

One easy monthly bill...

That would be a staggering Broadband/Mobile/Energy/Entertainment bundle - Vodafone would make plenty of money still and very quickly dominate Spark.

Ogg
19-07-2020, 03:50 PM
I've got another $50k term deposit coming out this week. I'm gonna buy more and join the million shareholder club.

Ship is sinking fast.
Will she go sub 14

Me in the dinghy

Mista getting hit by the funnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEysaD9jrg

Who will save us all

Paradox
19-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Will she go sub 14

As expected, the SP will edge close to 12-13c

Until the results come out, SP will continue to slide down......closer to 12c.

Ogg
19-07-2020, 08:42 PM

We're talking $210m market cap @ 12c.

Geez Louise, you would think this is not possible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uamKWje2I

RTM
19-07-2020, 10:18 PM
We're talking $210m market cap @ 12c.

And remind me how much they just raised ? Around $150mil ?

winner69
20-07-2020, 08:42 AM
And remind me how much they just raised ? Around $150mil ?

Mostly earmarked for debt repayments so market saying enterprise value basically unchanged

CraftyBeer
20-07-2020, 08:58 AM
Alternatively, Sky may have offered Spark, say 15-20% off retail rates... and Spark are eating some of the cost. For example, Sky charge them $11.50 per customer...they eat $1.51 as the cost of providing another value-add to their customers to lower broadband churn and only charge $9.99 for the service.

I gave up Spark for broadband and switched to Stuff fibre but I was still getting Lightbox because of my mobile phone monthly account. I can't recall if Sky has said they will start offering broadband? Bundle it up with their subscription in some way. They'd then be competing with Spark but so many broadband resellers out there and it seems to me Spark isn't that interested in pushing fibre - they certainly didn't care when I left as a broadband customer.

RTM
20-07-2020, 10:04 AM
Mostly earmarked for debt repayments so market saying enterprise value basically unchanged

That doesn't feel right Winner.....even if it is what it is used for. The company should be worth quite a bit more even if they have used the money for debt reduction.

Entrep
20-07-2020, 12:31 PM
@ogg find your memes on giphy.com and embed them as an image, then we don't need to load a youtube video for a 1 second clip.

mistaTea
20-07-2020, 12:42 PM
That doesn't feel right Winner.....even if it is what it is used for. The company should be worth quite a bit more even if they have used the money for debt reduction.

Correct. The Market is currently saying that if you subtract the $148M cash infusion, Sky is actually worth less than it was before the CR.

Nothing really bad has happened since then though. If anything the news has been positive - new NEON service has been well received, Sky didn’t qualify for the wage subsidy, sporting rights costs are falling, there is a plan to move away from solely relying on a single stream of income...

I have pretty well given up trying to understand the market movements when it comes to Sky. The only thing that makes sense to me is that potential investors are waiting for the annual report before they start buying shares - in the meantime some of the instos who got in @12c are still dumping stock for a quick buck - and that is putting a net downward pressure on the stock price.

Ogg
20-07-2020, 01:15 PM
@ogg find your memes on giphy.com and embed them as an image, then we don't need to load a youtube video for a 1 second clip.

Your gif is slowing it down more.

https://i.imgur.com/4rqNgbn.jpg

25 seconds to load this page, just lol.

stoploss
20-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Your gif is slowing it down more.

https://i.imgur.com/4rqNgbn.jpg

25 seconds to load this page, just lol.

I'd get your internet speed checked and maybe your computer instant for me.

RTM
20-07-2020, 05:54 PM
I can see a consolidation of shares coming up...1:10 maybe ?
From memory some funds (maybe US ?) are unable to invest in penny stocks.

Ogg
20-07-2020, 07:26 PM
I can see a consolidation of shares coming up...1:10 maybe ?
From memory some funds (maybe US ?) are unable to invest in penny stocks.

Won't happen.

They need to do a share buy back.

Who are these nutters selling @ 2x Ebita?

mistaTea
20-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Won't happen.

Who are these nutters selling @ 2x Ebita?

As I was saying earlier - it only makes sense to sell at these low prices if you got in @12c and are taking a quick profit.

In that sense, the current behaviour is completely rational.

RTM
20-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Won't happen.

Hard to see a share buy back working, even if they bought 50%.....the SP would only get to ~30c.
Why do u think it won’t happen ?

Ogg
20-07-2020, 08:16 PM
As I was saying earlier - it only makes sense to sell at these low prices if you got in @12c and are taking a quick profit.

In that sense, the current behaviour is completely rational.

It doesn't look like many sophisticated investors are selling though. The last SPH confirmed that, expect for that one large cross on the ASX.

Haven't seen any broker reports released either. It's weird, it's like nothing is happening.

The volume over the last couple of weeks has been low, suggesting it's just retail trading with each other and a few bots at work.

This stock is just mind boggling! As a millennial, who's probably pirated more content than anyone on this board, I still have Sky. Having said that, streaming is still my preferred method of media consumption but there's nothing like coming home from work and switching on the satellite and getting that low ping latency feed straight from the dish and watching it on the big screen - especially when you're at home having dinner or when there's good sport on. It seems like the boomers think that everyone will be watching TV over the internet in 5 years - just lol. I know how buggy the internet can be, it's not that it doesn't work, it just doesn't work as well. Do people here not get it that both technologies can still existing along side each other? You don't have to choose! It's not expensive either. If you can't folk out $70 a month for Pay TV, then just lol, you shouldn't have a TV.

I'm going down with the ship on this one. The lower this goes, the more I'm putting in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mwcXhiqvCw

RTM
20-07-2020, 09:45 PM
I think you are right re picture quality......I have Sky Sport Now.....enjoying it, however, don’t think the smoothness is anywhere near as good as I recall via Satellite. In fact I can just plain miss things...they aren’t there ! And they should be.
Makes my eyes tired.
I don’t ,think it is quite as good as Spark Sport...RWC Coverage....at its best. But it is hard to quantify /define.

mistaTea
20-07-2020, 09:51 PM
I think you are right re picture quality......I have Sky Sport Now.....enjoying it, however, don’t think the smoothness is anywhere near as good as I recall via Satellite. In fact I can just plain miss things...they aren’t there ! And they should be.
Makes my eyes tired.
I don’t ,think it is quite as good as Spark Sport...RWC Coverage....at its best. But it is hard to quantify /define.

Yeah I have sky sport now too. Overall, I am happy with the service. Works well and it has a cool highlights and features section which makes it easier to find other content.

But even though I have a 100Mbs fibre connection - I do notice that throughout the live event there are periods where the picture goes slightly out of focus. Then crisp HD again for a while, and then back to slightly out of focus. It is crisp HD for most of the event...but it detracts from the match when it keeps going out of focus.

Obviously, that never ever happened with Satellite.

Then again, rain fade could be an issue during bad weather with satellite whereas that is not a concern when streaming.

So there are pros and cons to both methods.

Ogg
20-07-2020, 10:28 PM
The rain fade can be an issue. That's why they need to updated the box. It should auto switch to broadband when a rain fade drops the signal to a certain point. You'd think when Optus launches the new satellite there will be a heap of new updates that fixes these types of issues. A lot of things can be done to improve the user experience.

If they can change the settings on the fly with the new satellite you'd think they would be able to enable 8k on major sporting events by redirecting other channels to broadband to free up the satellite bandwidth.

Looks like Japan has 8k satellite already: https://www.engadget.com/2018-12-01-8k-japan-tv.html

Could you imagine trying to stream 8k over a crappy Huawei router that the broadband companies give you! Even if you could you, RIP to any other family member wanting to use the internet at the same time.

Ogg
20-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Another "Bob" is hired.

https://www.nbr.co.nz/node/226925

Sky TV employees this September...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcIMIyQnOso

Akane
21-07-2020, 08:31 AM
This stock is just mind boggling! As a millennial, who's probably pirated more content than anyone on this board, I still have Sky. Having said that, streaming is still my preferred method of media consumption but there's nothing like coming home from work and switching on the satellite and getting that low ping latency feed straight from the dish and watching it on the big screen

That's the thing, a lot of zoomers and doomers are hating on SKT... always "My netflickz, my torrentz", as you grow older and actually have a bit more than $3.50 in your bank account, you start to discount pirating, spending time leeching movies, setting things up.... you just want to push a button on a remote after a long day grinding away at work, and you just want things to happen, you ain't got no time trying to figure out why a "HD Rip" you've illegally downloaded doesn't look "HD" at all.

Netflix is not into the broadcasting sports business, at least I don't see that happening in the near future. There's no other ways of getting sports besides Sky at this stage (bar the illegal websites, and they're super unreliable at peak times, speaking from experience). When you have a few mate's over to watch the big game, or the big fight, are you going to setup your janky PC rig to watch content off some illegal website that most likely will be blurry and buffer? Or are you going to spend that $40 and make sure you have a good time? It's a no brainer.

mistaTea
21-07-2020, 08:51 AM
That's the thing, a lot of zoomers and doomers are hating on SKT... always "My netflickz, my torrentz", as you grow older and actually have a bit more than $3.50 in your bank account, you start to discount pirating, spending time leeching movies, setting things up.... you just want to push a button on a remote after a long day grinding away at work, and you just want things to happen, you ain't got no time trying to figure out why a "HD Rip" you've illegally downloaded doesn't look "HD" at all.

Netflix is not into the broadcasting sports business, at least I don't see that happening in the near future. There's no other ways of getting sports besides Sky at this stage (bar the illegal websites, and they're super unreliable at peak times, speaking from experience). When you have a few mate's over to watch the big game, or the big fight, are you going to setup your janky PC rig to watch content off some illegal website that most likely will be blurry and buffer? Or are you going to spend that $40 and make sure you have a good time? It's a no brainer.

All very true.

And even if you have an entertainment bundle that includes Sky Sport NOW + NEON + NETFLIX...it’s about $70/month (or about $75/month if you take NETFLIX in UHD).

For the majority of New Zealanders that is chump change for reliable platforms that serve up a wide range of entertainment legally.

If you are one of the unlucky few who still have poor quality internet - then a Sky bundle that includes entertainment + sport + movies and SOHO is around $100/month for the traditional satellite bundle. Loads of stuff to watch and the cost works out to be about $3.30 per day. I don’t even think you could buy a Long Black at a cafe for that any more.

Some people will always steal, and piracy will remain an issue for the industry.

But for the majority, the entertainment packages are relatively cheap and much easier to use. As you say, a no-brainer.

RTM
21-07-2020, 09:44 AM
Yeah I have sky sport now too. Overall, I am happy with the service. Works well and it has a cool highlights and features section which makes it easier to find other content.

But even though I have a 100Mbs fibre connection - I do notice that throughout the live event there are periods where the picture goes slightly out of focus. Then crisp HD again for a while, and then back to slightly out of focus. It is crisp HD for most of the event...but it detracts from the match when it keeps going out of focus.

Obviously, that never ever happened with Satellite.

Then again, rain fade could be an issue during bad weather with satellite whereas that is not a concern when streaming.

So there are pros and cons to both methods.

That is good to know, thanks. Because I am on VDSL (no fibre out here) and wonder from time to time if that is the cause. Don't think so as even tho copper, our speed is pretty good. One more comment...even when the picture is extremely good / sharp / colours excellent....the movement is not as smooth as I think it should be. I recall something like this on Spark Sport from time to time and we talked about frequency...was it 60 vs 30 ? Can't recall. And yes, I get the slightly out of focus bits as well.

But overall yes, I am happy with service as well. One difficulty remaining is that if I start to watch a live event half way through...and the thing has been left set on that prog., I am not sure yet how to get back to the beginning without seeing the score !

Using a new Apple TV which is nice as well.

mistaTea
21-07-2020, 10:00 AM
That is good to know, thanks. Because I am on VDSL (no fibre out here) and wonder from time to time if that is the cause. Don't think so as even tho copper, our speed is pretty good. One more comment...even when the picture is extremely good / sharp / colours excellent....the movement is not as smooth as I think it should be. I recall something like this on Spark Sport from time to time and we talked about frequency...was it 60 vs 30 ? Can't recall. And yes, I get the slightly out of focus bits as well.

But overall yes, I am happy with service as well. One difficulty remaining is that if I start to watch a live event half way through...and the thing has been left set on that prog., I am not sure yet how to get back to the beginning without seeing the score !

Using a new Apple TV which is nice as well.

For me the movement is smooth. Just the occasional out of focus picture is a negative.

Perhaps the luck of smoothness could be down to your VDSL connection?

Stranger_Danger
21-07-2020, 10:23 AM

I guess we all have different experiences. For a long time, I worked insane hours, paid for Sky, barely watched it.

Then I stopped working, tried to watch TV more often, had constant rain fade issues, the customer support was shocking, so while I had always been an "intellectual property" kinda guy and would never dream of stealing the IP created by other people, I found myself starting to adapt to seeking out the stuff for free online that I was already paying for and couldn't watch!

Eventually, I was like, why am I doing this? Gave Sky another chance to fix it, they continued to not care, I cancelled Sky and have been a "DIY" guy ever since.

I am not a teenager, or a natural thief of intellectual property. I was also not price sensitive - I knew Sky did deals with other people I knew and I was still on a top dollar rate. Didn't really care. All I wanted was to able to reliably consume what I was paying for. The moment I tried to do that consistently, it became clear that (at least in my case) Sky was not up to it.

All things being equal, I would still be a Sky customer. But when you can get more for free than you can get by paying for it, and when you literally end up paying for nothing because the product doesn't work, then there is really no alternative than to end up a non customer.

Ogg
21-07-2020, 10:34 AM
I guess we all have different experiences. For a long time, I worked insane hours, paid for Sky, barely watched it.

Then I stopped working, tried to watch TV more often, had constant rain fade issues, the customer support was shocking, so while I had always been an "intellectual property" kinda guy and would never dream of stealing the IP created by other people, I found myself starting to adapt to seeking out the stuff for free online that I was already paying for and couldn't watch!

Eventually, I was like, why am I doing this? Gave Sky another chance to fix it, they continued to not care, I cancelled Sky and have been a "DIY" guy ever since.

I am not a teenager, or a natural thief of intellectual property. I was also not price sensitive - I knew Sky did deals with other people I knew and I was still on a top dollar rate. Didn't really care. All I wanted was to able to reliably consume what I was paying for. The moment I tried to do that consistently, it became clear that (at least in my case) Sky was not up to it.

All things being equal, I would still be a Sky customer. But when you can get more for free than you can get by paying for it, and when you literally end up paying for nothing because the product doesn't work, then there is really no alternative than to end up a non customer.

I think part of it just depends on your current life situation:

If you're an old man in your 70's half brain dead and breathing off an oxygen canister, you want to just sit in an arm chair and watch Sky all day.

If you're a teenager or at uni you think it's crap. Maybe your mates flat has Sky and you go over there to get boozed on the weekend to watch the footy, then get stoned on Sunday watching cartoon network!

If you're a single mum, maybe you stay home and watch shopping channel all day. Use the alimony money for Sky.

If you're newly married and saving for a house, you might cancel for 5 years until you save more money.

If you're into a new hobby, like golf and you want to watch the Masters, you get Sky but then forget to cancel it afterwards or can't be bothered returning the box.

Maybe you just got that new big TV.

People come and go. Churn is churn. The point is that the product isn't obsolete. It's not what it once was, but it still has it's place in society.

LaserEyeKiwi
21-07-2020, 10:51 AM

There are plenty of legal hassle-free options for watching sport other than sky (just not rugby). Spark sport obviously, but also plenty of dedicated apps on appleTV / chromecast that let you watch plenty of sports on a big screen. I personally love basketball and pay $14 a month for NBA league pass which lets me watch every game from my favorite teams played live on any device I want (far better than the few games on sky each week).

my mother in law cancelled her sky subscription last month and now watches everything through the Vodafone tv product, which is delivered via the Internet, and she has had zero issues with quality.

i do not know anyone who pirates content online, but basically everyone I know uses at least one paid streaming service alongside the free ones from TVNZ & Mediaworks, and some have 4 or 5 of them (Netflix, Disney+, appleTV+, Prime video & Neon/lightbox). If you don’t watch rugby, I don’t think there is any point in having sky these days given the vast amount of content available at far cheaper prices from streaming competitors (and from Sky itself via NEON).

i think the biggest threat to sky long term is NZ rugby eventually deciding to cut out the middle man and offer a NZ rugby app direct to consumers.

Ogg
21-07-2020, 11:01 AM
my mother in law cancelled her sky subscription last month and now watches everything through the Vodafone tv product, which is delivered via the Internet, and she has had zero issues with quality.

You're grandma has probably racked up $1000 on Sky content over VTV.

mistaTea
21-07-2020, 11:21 AM

First Sentier dumping a sh1t load of stock in June?

Ogg
21-07-2020, 09:47 PM
I hate this stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7OfuoyFL00

Stock888
21-07-2020, 10:00 PM
https://www.vodafone.co.nz/tv/vodafone-tv/

It looks like Sky already integrated into VTV...

Well Endowed
22-07-2020, 09:40 AM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/300062593/what-discoverys-purchase-of-mediaworks-struggling-tv-arm-would-mean-for-viewers

hopefully start to see some further consolidation

Ogg
22-07-2020, 10:18 AM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/300062593/what-discoverys-purchase-of-mediaworks-struggling-tv-arm-would-mean-for-viewers

hopefully start to see some further consolidation

Another OP-ED with no source. Do these reporters even know that Oaktree is no longer the parent holding company, just lol.

Maybe Discovery is buying Mediaworks but you think they would just come out and say it. Why the wait.

Ogg
22-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Foxtel subscribers up in Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/streaming-services-and-pay-tv-the-big-winners-of-pandemic-shutdown-20200722-p55ee5.html (https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/streaming-services-and-pay-tv-the-big-winners-of-pandemic-shutdown-20200722-p55ee5.html)

Seems like my previous estimate of a drop in Sky subscribers because of the Lightbox merger maybe wrong.

Given the amount of advertising Sky is doing with Neon and Sky basic, it seems likely that they will retain 1m customers.

I'm actually looking forward to next months results now. A hold in satellite subscribers would be a big win. Could be the first time in a while of a reverse in trend.

Lightbox may have been undervalued when Spark sold it to Sky. Covid 19 appears to be a big positive. NZ in a good position being able to have sports as well.

Disc: Bought more today at 14. Holding 1m shares now. Average @ 15. Will buy more if it drops further.

Ogg
22-07-2020, 11:11 PM
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/07/foxtel-recovers-from-near-death-experience/

Three months ago, the prognosis facing Foxtel was dire. The company had lost almost 600,000 subscribers in the two years to February. Fast forward to today and Foxtel’s fortunes have miraculously improved.

But Foxtel is $2.5 billion in debt, just lol.

airedale
23-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Just a random thought about Toronto based Brookfield Asset Management. They have $US 300 billion in assets under management . Would they bother with a small deal like Sky TV?

Balance
23-07-2020, 04:55 PM
Just a random thought about Toronto based Brookfield Asset Management. They have $US 300 billion in assets under management . Would they bother with a small deal like Sky TV?

The fund will be broken up into different sub-funds and there will be likely be a sub-fund set up to look at smaller plays.

RTM
23-07-2020, 05:39 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12350397

Recovery for Sky TV not insurmountable - Jarden

For those interested.

mistaTea
23-07-2020, 06:44 PM

For those interested.

Arie has been pretty pessimistic about Sky for a while now.

So from him this article is a ringing endorsement.

Ogg
23-07-2020, 07:36 PM
When you buy more but it keeps dropping...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBx7Jg4m-o

Ogg
23-07-2020, 07:44 PM

For those interested.

They've upgraded Sky from underperform to neutral. Price target 16c.

Stock888
23-07-2020, 07:49 PM
13.9c... :(

mistaTea
23-07-2020, 07:51 PM
When you buy more but it keeps dropping...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBx7Jg4m-o

Haha I remember buying some at 85c thinking I was getting a steal.

Better get in quick, I thought, this price won’t last!!

Turns out I was absolutely correct about that 😅

audiav
23-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Well I’m impressed with Neon. Seems to have a thoughtful curated list of movies & series. Not overwhelming like Netflix. Helps they kept the Lightbox interface. I’m subscribing. Disclosure: bought shares at $1.10 and sold at $0.90. Might buy in again......

Sideshow Bob
24-07-2020, 08:29 AM
From Business Desk (don't subscribed so can't advise re full article)

Recovery for Sky TV not insurmountable - Jarden (https://businessdesk.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=786ac0b2dc4f2240875208882&id=8e9aeae385&e=3b6f9185d3)Establishing a sustainable operating model should not an insurmountable task for struggling pay-TV provider Sky Network Television, according to Jarden research.
With live sport returning more quickly than expected, Sky could outperform its initial recovery expectations, research analyst Arie Dekker said in a note this morning. He upgraded his rating on the stock to ‘neutral’ from 'underperform' and kept a target price of 16 cents.
Read the full story at BusinessDesk — subscribe now (https://businessdesk.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=786ac0b2dc4f2240875208882&id=861f98ab37&e=3b6f9185d3)

stoploss
24-07-2020, 08:43 AM

Recovery for Sky TV not insurmountable - Jarden (https://businessdesk.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=786ac0b2dc4f2240875208882&id=8e9aeae385&e=3b6f9185d3)

Establishing a sustainable operating model should not an insurmountable task for struggling pay-TV provider Sky Network Television, according to Jarden research.
With live sport returning more quickly than expected, Sky could outperform its initial recovery expectations, research analyst Arie Dekker said in a note this morning. He upgraded his rating on the stock to ‘neutral’ from 'underperform' and kept a target price of 16 cents.
Read the full story at BusinessDesk — subscribe now (https://businessdesk.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=786ac0b2dc4f2240875208882&id=861f98ab37&e=3b6f9185d3)
Looks like that was yesterday’s news ?

Akane
24-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Haha I remember buying some at 85c thinking I was getting a steal.

Better get in quick, I thought, this price won’t last!!

Turns out I was absolutely correct about that 

I've got bags at $1.23, then more at $1.12 and of course the 12c CR.......I really need to practice what I preach.... knowing when to fold if you've been dealt with a hand of bad cards........

Sideshow Bob
24-07-2020, 09:00 AM

Sideshow Bob
24-07-2020, 09:09 AM
Looks like that was yesterday’s news ?

Was from this mornings email - so would have come out yesterday.

stoploss
24-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Was from this mornings email - so would have come out yesterday.
I was alluding to the fact there are two posts above about this 5 pm ish yesterday .....

Sideshow Bob
24-07-2020, 10:03 AM
I was alluding to the fact there are two posts above about this 5 pm ish yesterday .....

Apologies, didn't scroll back.

LaserEyeKiwi
24-07-2020, 11:49 AM

Recovery for Sky TV not insurmountable - Jarden (https://businessdesk.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=786ac0b2dc4f2240875208882&id=8e9aeae385&e=3b6f9185d3)

Establishing a sustainable operating model should not an insurmountable task for struggling pay-TV provider Sky Network Television, according to Jarden research.

The danger for Sky’s non-sport content is that all the big US producers are launching their own global direct to consumer streaming services. This will have a big impact on the quality and quantity of series and movies available to sky in the future. For instance most of the most popular shows on sky & lightbox are from HBO & Hulu, two US producers which are launching global streaming services in the near future (HBO is owned by AT&T/TimeWarner, Hulu is owned by Disney). Likewise the majority of large hollywood movies are not going to be available to sky: Disney already keeps the rights for all Disney films (including Marvel/Pixar/StarWars etc), and now they also own all of the Fox film & TV assets which will also remain exclusive to Disney’s own services. At&t/timewarner likewise will in future keep all film content from its warner brothers studio Exclusive to its own global streaming service after it launches next year. Obviously The billions that Netflix & Apple are spending on their own tv & film content will also not be available to sky either.

anyone who subscribed to sky movies will have already noticed the dramatic decrease in quality of films available. I remember when every Sunday night would be a big premiere movie, but now it’s probably one movie a month I want to see, 2 if I’m lucky, and some of the Sunday night Premieres I have literally never heard of before.

Entrep
24-07-2020, 12:02 PM
NEON looks pretty good TBH. Have started a new trial. The actual app/site itself looks a heck of a lot more polished. Not that NEON is going to save Sky.

Ogg
24-07-2020, 12:08 PM
The danger for Sky’s non-sport content is that all the big US producers are launching their own global direct to consumer streaming services. This will have a big impact on the quality and quantity of series and movies available to sky in the future. For instance most of the most popular shows on sky & lightbox are from HBO & Hulu, two US producers which are launching global streaming services in the near future (HBO is owned by AT&T/TimeWarner, Hulu is owned by Disney). Likewise the majority of large hollywood movies are not going to be available to sky: Disney already keeps the rights for all Disney films (including Marvel/Pixar/StarWars etc), and now they also own all of the Fox film & TV assets which will also remain exclusive to Disney’s own services. At&t/timewarner likewise will in future keep all film content from its warner brothers studio Exclusive to its own global streaming service after it launches next year. Obviously The billions that Netflix & Apple are spending on their own tv & film content will also not be available to sky either.

anyone who subscribed to sky movies will have already noticed the dramatic decrease in quality of films available. I remember when every Sunday night would be a big premiere movie, but now it’s probably one movie a month I want to see, 2 if I’m lucky, and some of the Sunday night Premieres I have literally never heard of before.

What's next, James Cameron streaming Avatar direct. Why would he need Disney or Netflix? He could just distribute the movie directly from Avatar.com. When does this end?

Lot of people predicted the end of cinema but doesn't look like that's happening.

The point is that some type of platform/infrastructure is needed.

Just like with online shopping, you need a warehouse somewhere. Servers also have to be somewhere too. There is always something physical.

LaserEyeKiwi
24-07-2020, 12:10 PM
What's next, James Cameron streaming Avatar direct. Why would he need Disney or Netflix? He could just distribute the movie directly from Avatar.com. When does this end?

Lot of people predicted the end of cinema but doesn't look like that's happening.

The point is that some type of platform/infrastructure is needed.

Just like with online shopping, you need a warehouse somewhere. Servers also have to be somewhere too. There is always something physical.

disney owns the rights to avatar. Those movies will only be on Disney+.

Ogg
24-07-2020, 12:11 PM
disney owns the rights to avatar. Those movies will only be on Disney+.

Sky own's the rights to the rugby and HBO. What's your point?

Paradox
24-07-2020, 12:12 PM

into 13c now

LaserEyeKiwi
24-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Sky own's the rights to the rugby and HBO. What's your point?

HBO is launching its own service, sky wont have access to their future output.

rugby is sky’s primary asset now. From a pure survival standpoint, if NZ rugby decided to go direct to consumer, or if another deep pocketed company outbid sky for the next broadcast deal, it would be the end of SKY TV.

SpaceZ
24-07-2020, 12:19 PM
into 13c now

my target price is $0.125

Ogg
24-07-2020, 12:37 PM
HBO is launching its own service, sky wont have access to their future output.

rugby is sky’s primary asset now.

If you look at the Porn industry, which is basically the leader when it comes to content distribution (think VHS vs betamax / DVD vs Bluray etc), you'll see a mixture of direct and third party distribution (as well a lot of piracy obliviously).

You have platforms, like Pornhub, large content producers like Brazzars and third party distributors like ClipForSale etc. As well as lot of small content producers going direct.

The point is that the market is never dominated by one distribution stream. The market is made up of a mixture of different providers. They all have strength and weakness and different revenue models. The market is complex and one system never works.

Sky is strong in sports, both in content but also in supplementary content like clip shows, sport news, and other infrastructure, OSB etc. Their brand is strong in NZ and they have a large following. Also, like I've said before in this thread, their satellite base is a huge asset, that's not going away anytime soon.

Their relationship with HBO is positive and it's unlikely they will cut the ties fully. Stan over in Australia secured the rights of HBO recently. Similarity, when/if Discovery buys Mediaworks, it's unlikely they will pull their content from Sky. Maybe more content will be pulled, such as Disney, but I think ultimately it will never all be pulled entirely. Just like with the Porn industry, it will never be the case that everyone ends up on Pornhub.

Going forward, you will likely see more mergers. And if not, more regulation stopping complete dominance of one player, ie see "United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. (1948)". If Disney ends up owner everything it will likely be broken up.

At the end of the day, Sky today is valued at only ~$250m. I think it's priced right and worth an investment at these levels and it's extremely unlikely it's going to be obsolete anytime soon, in fact, the opposite is more likely, with more growth and earnings going forward.

RTM
24-07-2020, 12:52 PM
If you look at the Porn industry, which is basically the leader when it comes to content distribution (think VHS vs betamax / DVD vs Bluray etc), you'll see a mixture of direct and third party distribution (as well a lot of piracy obliviously).

Will take a look this afternoon.....:p

Ogg
24-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Will take a look this afternoon.....:p

lol. Remember back in the day when Sky had those soft porno's at 10pm on Friday nights on channel 5? Ahhh, those were the days... :D

steveb
24-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Hey ogg do you think SKY should start hosting porn,with 3rd party uploads,or would it offend current subs? If done well they would have global reach.

Ogg
24-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Hey ogg do you think SKY should start hosting porn,with 3rd party uploads,or would it offend current subs? If done well they would have global reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEiE4_s4eo

Getty
24-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Is this Towies, or a do it yourself program?

JSwan
24-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Only 91K SKT shares on the bid side at 12c, was expecting more :t_down:

biker
25-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Only 91K SKT shares on the bid side at 12c, was expecting more :t_down:

What’s your point?

Quantitative Easing
25-07-2020, 05:11 PM

I think for that to take traction sky would need an ambassador like Johnny Sins AKA the most talented man on Earth. Perhaps he should even replace Martin Stewart as CEO. Might turnaround the fortunes of Sky.

Ogg
27-07-2020, 02:51 PM
0.133 ↓ 5%

Shame, and eternal shame, nothing but shame!
Let us die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmDWebX5-1k

I bought more at 13.5 today

dompf
27-07-2020, 03:38 PM
I bought more at 13.5 today

SKT now around 230mil cap. that's pretty darn low. Wonder how much lower its going to go - there seems to be more supply than demand for well over a month as the share price has been fading on low trading volume for about 7-8 weeks. I'm surprised we got so close to the cap raise price but i guess the floor is still 0.

airedale
27-07-2020, 03:44 PM
SKT now around 230mil cap. that's pretty darn low. Wonder how much lower its going to go - there seems to be more supply than demand for well over a month as the share price has been fading on low trading volume for about 7-8 weeks. I'm surprised we got so close to the cap raise price but i guess the floor is still 0.
Too many people do not share Ogg's optimism. I may well buy more but I am waiting for a sign from above.....or perhaps a better Shakespeare clip.:)

winner69
27-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Got a letter from them today about my monthly bill

Dlownz
27-07-2020, 04:04 PM
Tell us more......
Decreasing, increasing, or just a bill

Ogg
27-07-2020, 04:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq21oGMSSCk

winner69
27-07-2020, 04:15 PM

.....pleading poverty .....and going to charge a buck a month if I don’t organise getting the bill my email.

Never asked for a bill in the first place but they’ve come regularly every month for decades and every one has gone in the rubbish bin...what waste

Never mind, good thing they woken up and might actually be thinking about saving a few bucks .... to delay the inevitable I suppose.

Ogg
27-07-2020, 04:34 PM
Is the big seller gone or just playing dead?

Paradox
27-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Brace for .125 until results come out. After that it is unknown territory.

Disc: hold some

Ogg
27-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Holding $167k @ 14.9 now.

What can p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶i̶ possibly go wrong?

SpaceZ
27-07-2020, 05:17 PM
i have abandoned this stock and sold off the whole lot 600K today and cut my loses.

All the best to the remainder shareholders.

JSwan
27-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Holding $167k @ 14.9 now.

What can p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶i̶ possibly go wrong?

Another cap raise at 0.10c? :p

Entrep
27-07-2020, 05:25 PM
They will Need to cap raise via rights issue

Sought after placements don't visit the placement price, desperate placements nearly always do, or they go under. I would put this one in the latter.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1ZuPP2bhkb8fhCzFJ9/giphy.gif

Ogg
27-07-2020, 05:30 PM
i have abandoned this stock and sold off the whole lot 600K today and cut my loses.

All the best to the remainder shareholders.

O Jeez, please be true...

Seriously tho, sorry to see you leave.

Could this sell down be nothing more than retail investors getting stopped out?

I'm getting tired of buying this stock.

Ogg
27-07-2020, 05:33 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/1ZuPP2bhkb8fhCzFJ9/giphy.gif

So, should I sell now like SpaceZ or double down tomorrow?

SpaceZ
27-07-2020, 06:12 PM
O Jeez, please be true...

Seriously tho, sorry to see you leave.

Could this sell down be nothing more than retail investors getting stopped out?

I'm getting tired of buying this stock.

May be tomorrow will have news on takeover/merger good news for this stock.....
Well, i will accept my decision and move on.

Entrep
27-07-2020, 07:02 PM
May be tomorrow will have news on takeover/merger good news for this stock.....
Well, i will accept my decision and move on.

Hat tip to you sir

tim23
27-07-2020, 08:53 PM

Me too the free movies have gone - so too has most of my favourite cricket!!

Ogg
27-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Me too the free movies have gone - so too has most of my favourite cricket!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJxapWB_G3k

Baa_Baa
27-07-2020, 09:15 PM
So, should I sell now like SpaceZ or double down tomorrow?

If you can afford another ~$145k on this dog then just do it, but save us from the sh1tty YouTube videos. Every % down is what, another ten grand lost. Need to spruik the buyout story a bit more, keep us guessing.

Stock888
27-07-2020, 09:52 PM
https://kalkine.co.nz/stock-research/should-you-consider-these-3-media-and-entertainment-stocks-skc-skt-nzm

Hold tight. :)

Disc: holding many SKT

Ogg
27-07-2020, 10:33 PM
If you can afford another ~$145k on this dog then just do it, but save us from the sh1tty YouTube videos. Every % down is what, another ten grand lost. Need to spruik the buyout story a bit more, keep us guessing.

I have the liquidity to double down but all of my cash is in multiple short term deposit. Need to wait until they roll over. The rates are so low that you're pretty much forced to put it into the stock market. Just lol at taking 1.5% pa and paying tax on it. The stock keeps going lower which seems to be working out for me nicely. I'm pissed my average is 14.9 but heaps of people here have it way worse then me!

Why it keeps dropping I don't know. Seems like there are regular sellers but no large institutional funds to absorb the supply. Perhaps because ASB pulled their lending margin account and also retail keep getting stopped out. Everyday disgruntled holders are bailing and taking huge loses. RIP to all the Sharesis users who bought in at the push to 20 a few weeks ago. Lots of people are also taking profits after the 12c placement. Noobs are selling and rushing into Afterpay type stocks.

I've stopped pushing the buyout story. Had to take things into my own hands... an't that right Balance, Mista? ;)

The problem is the share registry. Management own basically no stock. The two largest holders are UK based funds who have absolutely no idea what is going on over here. ACC are only in this because they have no where else to put cash. There's a couple of Australian funds who bought in to make a quick buck on the back of the placement. Then there's Blackcrane and Vanguard who are the only two dark horses in this race. The rest of the registry is small funds, ma and pa investors, and retail holders. In other words, the registry is a dead fish. No one is doing anything about it.

Seems like after the failed Vodafone merger this company became a walking zombie. Martin got given a "hospital pass", dropped the ball, and got knocked out. The media jumped all over this and pushed the "death" narrative. Trading on the ASX is basically non-existent. Hotcopper is a ghost town. What else do you expect was going to happen.

Stock hit $230m market cap today. Just lol. Might as well shut it down and pull the plug. Why even bother. Time for this dog to go private and get a new owner. One that will actually feed it and give it encouragement as it gets nothing but abuse on here at the moment.

The buyout/take over will happen. Trust me. A mere USD$250m will buy this thing. That's about USD$6m per year in interest costs on a 30 year loan. The company is earning over NZD$100m per year. Cash is king. Eventually the stock price will reflect the value, when "the" material event happens.

I went to the Blues game on the weekend at Eden Park. It's basically ground zero for this stock. I saw with my very own eyes the camera men running around wearing the Sky Sport uniform. Rugby is more than just New Zealand's national game. It's embedded into the culture. It's like watching gladiators fight in the Colosseum in ancient Rome. To quote the Gladiator movie... "The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate, it's the sand of the Colosseum.". The beating heart of NZ is rugby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmlYKiLBHI

nztx
27-07-2020, 11:37 PM
Another cap raise at 0.10c? :p

No .. that's why they are trying to charge Winner a buck a shot for each love letter sent his way from Accounts..

nztx
27-07-2020, 11:41 PM
I have the liquidity to double down but all of my cash is in multiple short term deposit. Need to wait until they roll over. The rates are so low that you're pretty much forced to put it into the stock market. Just lol at taking 1.5% pa and paying tax on it. The stock keeps going lower which seems to be working out for me nicely. I'm pissed my average is 14.9 but heaps of people here have it way worse then me!

Why it keeps dropping I don't know. Seems like there are regular sellers but no large institutional funds to absorb the supply. Perhaps because ASB pulled their lending margin account and also retail keep getting stopped out. Everyday disgruntled holders are bailing and taking huge loses. RIP to all the Sharesis users who bought in at the push to 20 a few weeks ago. Lots of people are also taking profits after the 12c placement. Noobs are selling and rushing into Afterpay type stocks.

I've stopped pushing the buyout story. Had to take things into my own hands... an't that right Balance, Mista? ;)

The problem is the share registry. Management own basically no stock. The two largest holders are UK based funds who have absolutely no idea what is going on over here. ACC are only in this because they have no where else to put cash. There's a couple of Australian funds who bought in to make a quick buck on the back of the placement. Then there's Blackcrane and Vanguard who are the only two dark horses in this race. The rest of the registry is small funds, ma and pa investors, and retail holders. In other words, the registry is a dead fish. No one is doing anything about it.

Seems like after the failed Vodafone merger this company became a walking zombie. Martin got given a "hospital pass", dropped the ball, and got knocked out. The media jumped all over this and pushed the "death" narrative. Trading on the ASX is basically non-existent. Hotcopper is a ghost town. What else do you expect was going to happen.

Stock hit $230m market cap today. Just lol. Might as well shut it down and pull the plug. Why even bother. Time for this dog to go private and get a new owner. One that will actually feed it and give it encouragement as it gets nothing but abuse on here at the moment.

The buyout/take over will happen. Trust me. A mere USD$250m will buy this thing. That's about USD$6m per year in interest costs on a 30 year loan. The company is earning over NZD$100m per year. Cash is king. Eventually the stock price will reflect the value, when "the" material event happens.

I went to the Blues game on the weekend at Eden Park. It's basically ground zero for this stock. I saw with my very own eyes the camera men running around wearing the Sky Sport uniform. Rugby is more than just New Zealand's national game. It's embedded into the culture. It's like watching gladiators fight in the Colosseum in ancient Rome. To quote the Gladiator movie... "The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate, it's the sand of the Colosseum.". The beating heart of NZ is rugby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmlYKiLBHI

When are you proposing to send out your T/O Offer - Ogg ? ;)

If ANZ were suitably encouraged that trying to clip Winner's ticket at a buck a shot was smart business for the Funds to take a slice of, then we could have something with a tendency to want to edge northwards ..

Balance
29-07-2020, 12:24 PM
Capitulation under way in the sp.

Paradox
29-07-2020, 12:31 PM

.125 by end of the week

Ogg
29-07-2020, 12:32 PM

Implying that the drop from $7 to 13c isn't capitulation enough.

steveb
29-07-2020, 12:45 PM
If this goes under 12c what are the chances of a management buyout?

Balance
29-07-2020, 12:46 PM

Capitulation happens when even the die-hard believers bail out - which is what I see happening now with the stock.

Not the end of the world - usually means a turnaround in sentiment is in the offing.

Sideshow Bob
29-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Guidance withdrawn in March, FY ended 30/6. Judging by last year have about 3 weeks to wait....

k14
29-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Guidance withdrawn in March, FY ended 30/6. Judging by last year have about 3 weeks to wait....
What would be a good news story out of this? Are we expecting a profit or will there be a loss?

Balance
29-07-2020, 01:40 PM
What would be a good news story out of this? Are we expecting a profit or will there be a loss?

Loss in subscriber numbers not as bad as market has priced into the stock.

Operating profit.

Resumption of small dividend now that financial position has been stabilized from capital raise and the banks are happy.

M & A talks happening behind the scenes alerted to at announcement.

Take your pick. :scared:

nztx
29-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Flush with cash now & possibly minimal effects of C-19 while all were locked down at home - would there be a Loss ? (barring some mysterious beancounter write downs and fancy footwork)

nztx
29-07-2020, 01:45 PM

And the BGI punters were screaming loudly at their see-saw SP free fall after rumours & hearsay evaporated into thin air ;)

airedale
29-07-2020, 02:19 PM
Capitulation happens when even the die-hard believers bail out - which is what I see happening now with the stock.

Not the end of the world - usually means a turnaround in sentiment is in the offing.
It looks like the selling is by retail investors {not me} but the volumes going through do not suggest the instos with zillions of shares are getting out just after buying in to the CR.

Quantitative Easing
29-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Hotcopper is a good indicator of sentiment and reading that suggests that the sentiment is quite bad atm.

LaserEyeKiwi
29-07-2020, 02:32 PM
I think the dwindling prospects of the all black schedule are being reflected in the stock price. South Africa might not come for rugby championship, and northern tour by all blacks looking less likely now that 6 nations are planning a tournament with Japan & Fiji included.

NZ rugby should make the North vs South match a 3 game spectacle, would be better than any international matchup that is for sure. Be our own state of origin like event series. And how about a proper final for the Super Rubgy Aotearoa? It’s madness that they didn’t include at least a match between 1st & 2nd place teams for the title.

Ogg
29-07-2020, 02:48 PM
It looks like the selling is by retail investors {not me} but the volumes going through do not suggest the instos with zillions of shares are getting out just after buying in to the CR.

I'm confident that most of the selling is coming from retail, given that they make up 24% of the registry or approx 417m shares.

I would be seriously concerned if Jupiter, Kiltearn, ACC, Black Crane, or Vanguard start selling at these levels.

A few Australian based funds have been selling and profiting from the 12c placement. Mostly at higher levels though. I doubt there are selling much here.

I agree with balance that it's mostly capitulation happening.

Might have to wait until results on the 21st of August for the selling to stop and the retail book stabilizes or churns enough to lower the average holding price closer to the market price.

Will buy more if it breaks the recent lows again.

ratkin
29-07-2020, 03:16 PM
Not a holder but you would wonder why retail would even be bothering to sell. The traders sure, but the longer term holders would be so far gone that it would be pretty pointless even bothering to sell now.

Am having to sit on my hands at the moment as keep getting an irrational urge to buy some

Ogg
29-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Not a holder but you would wonder why retail would even be bothering to sell. The traders sure, but the longer term holders would be so far gone that it would be pretty pointless even bothering to sell now.

Am having to sit on my hands at the moment as keep getting an irrational urge to buy some

It's "irrational exuberance" but in the opposite direction - sell at any cost!

A bit like going to a leaky building apartment auction.

Opening reserve of $10,000 for a 2 bedroom apartment @ $550 per week rent.

Going, going...SOLD!

JSwan
29-07-2020, 03:38 PM
Could also be a case of back and forth selling from the same trading instos, aka shake the tree

Balance
29-07-2020, 03:44 PM

Still worth salvaging if they partake in the rights issue at 12c, and cutting their losses while their rights issue shares are still ‘in the money’.

Balance
29-07-2020, 04:27 PM
Hotcopper is a good indicator of sentiment and reading that suggests that the sentiment is quite bad atm.

That's putting it mildly! :eek2:

JSwan
29-07-2020, 04:43 PM
SKT is one of those stocks that goes down even if there was a take-over bid announcement for 0.20c or 0.30c or $1 :confused:

Quantitative Easing
29-07-2020, 05:51 PM
How about 20-30 of us sharetrader forum members get together and put in a takeover offer for Sky and make it into a private company? I agree with the person on Hotcopper saying that we need a white knight, maybe we can be the white knights for us.

Dlownz
29-07-2020, 06:51 PM
It's going to be one of those things that take time. From what I'm hearing people are liking the new service. My boss has signed up to skysport digital it's 300 a year and he's stoked. He also has spark sport but he's hardly watching it so looking at scrapping it. Neon is gaining traction and even heard a few people cancelling Netflix and going with a neon /Disney bundle. The next result will be a very interesting one.
1 How many subscribers on each service
2 How much has sky been able to recoup from sports rights
3. Future outlook after the latest forecast was scrapped
4 maybe another hint of dividend date resumption if at all possible.

Yes I have skin in this game and if it drops I will be buying more. Took full advantage of the latest cap raise.

winner69
29-07-2020, 07:16 PM
How about 20-30 of us sharetrader forum members get together and put in a takeover offer for Sky and make it into a private company? I agree with the person on Hotcopper saying that we need a white knight, maybe we can be the white knights for us.

Jeez - if punters on Hotcopper are calling for a white knight things must be really dire.

Ogg
29-07-2020, 08:20 PM
People are liking the new service...Neon is gaining traction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qgET1Zhpb8

LaserEyeKiwi
29-07-2020, 08:33 PM
It's going to be one of those things that take time. From what I'm hearing people are liking the new service. My boss has signed up to skysport digital it's 300 a year and he's stoked. He also has spark sport but he's hardly watching it so looking at scrapping it. Neon is gaining traction and even heard a few people cancelling Netflix and going with a neon /Disney bundle. The next result will be a very interesting one.
1 How many subscribers on each service
2 How much has sky been able to recoup from sports rights
3. Future outlook after the latest forecast was scrapped
4 maybe another hint of dividend date resumption if at all possible.

Yes I have skin in this game and if it drops I will be buying more. Took full advantage of the latest cap raise.

skysport digital at $300 a year being better than sky sport via satellite with minimum channel package and my sky decider rental at $1000+ a year is not exactly good news for skytv.

Ogg
29-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Google trends data shows "neon" is gaining traction over last few months. Will the trend continue?

https://i.imgur.com/VWhSSuh.jpg

Ogg
29-07-2020, 08:55 PM
skysport digital at $300 a year being better than sky sport via satellite with minimum channel package and my sky decider rental at $1000+ a year is not exactly good news for skytv.

What economic school did you go to?

They'll just release "Sky Sport Premium" for $600 per year and all the crappy sport content will be on "Sky Sport Regular" for $300.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUB-wjXUREE

Akane
30-07-2020, 10:17 AM

This is the same thought process as to why people think SKT is not "moving with the times".

LaserEyeKiwi
30-07-2020, 11:12 AM
This is the same thought process as to why people think SKT is not "moving with the times".

on the contrary - I think skytv should embrace the App-ificarion of media faster, as it it a necessity for survival. However even if they successfully make the transition, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will be financially better off than the old dying model. The worst situation will be in the middle of the transition when Sky is still paying high fixed costs to support ever dwindling satellite customers, while also having to invest heavily in infrastructure to support ever increasing streaming subscribers. Once streaming infrastructure Accounts for majority of users, Sky should make swift plans to ditch satellite support ASAP, possibly spinning it off as a seperate company.

biker
30-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Maybe still some more down side but with this relentless selling for no apparent reason taking the share price to these levels I couldn’t resist topping up today at 13.4-13.5c
I’m thinking when this finally hits a bottom it may not stay there for long and from these levels the rebound could be significant but only IMHO and I’m a biased holder.

Ogg
30-07-2020, 04:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2M2n5oU.gif

dompf
30-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Maybe still some more down side but with this relentless selling for no apparent reason taking the share price to these levels I couldn’t resist topping up today at 13.4-13.5c
I’m thinking when this finally hits a bottom it may not stay there for long and from these levels the rebound could be significant but only IMHO and I’m a biased holder.

I've just done the same thing; average out my SKT value a bit, potentially be close to the bottom @234m market cap

tim23
30-07-2020, 08:34 PM
I emailed Sky on Tuesday re my sub, they called me today and offered a pretty good deal if I continue for another 12 months, impressive! I'm not a holder.

clip
31-07-2020, 10:09 AM
I emailed Sky on Tuesday re my sub, they called me today and offered a pretty good deal if I continue for another 12 months, impressive! I'm not a holder.

Has their cost of delivering service decreased? If not, it may be impressive for all the people they are giving cheaper subscriptions to, however it certainly won't be impressive for their bottom line..

steveb
31-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Surely the cost of delivering the service is not really relevant it will be virtually the same as if you had 100 subs or 100,000.Only extra cost would be the decoder and sat dish,but in tims case he already has the deoder and dish.
So yes if they can save an existing sub it makes a lot of sense.

Sideshow Bob
31-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Has their cost of delivering service decreased? If not, it may be impressive for all the people they are giving cheaper subscriptions to, however it certainly won't be impressive for their bottom line..

Did they save a bit of money on the cost of sport over lockdown? That would be the main thing people have sky for.....

Paradox
31-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Brace for .125 until results come out. After that it is unknown territory.

.131 now and after some resistance, set to be 12c territory from next week.

what date are the results out?

cheers

sb9
31-07-2020, 11:15 AM

cheers

I think it'll test 12c soon and it'll also test the fund mangers aptitude. At that level, no one is making any money.

Keeping some powder dry to top up when that opportunity eventuates...

Ogg
31-07-2020, 11:17 AM

cheers

21st August.

Me riding this stock to zero!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4ffTLdSZU

Paradox
31-07-2020, 11:23 AM
21st August.

3-more weeks’ patience required....

My guess is it’d either trend down to 10c and stay there for a long time (or) move upto 15-16c.

Entrep
31-07-2020, 11:42 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/LSW8xc7yNmapdRlMvM/giphy.gif

Quantitative Easing
31-07-2020, 11:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCmWkQuyPc

Balance
31-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Tide is going out and there are many a swimmer in SKT who are having to cover up? :eek2:

The trend is your friend.

Ogg
31-07-2020, 12:04 PM
I bought more at 12.7

Akane
31-07-2020, 12:06 PM
It hit 12's. Brace for impact.

Balance
31-07-2020, 12:08 PM
It hit 12's. Brace for impact.

Was always going to happen if a takeover does not happen.

Underwriters squaring their position and traders fleeing for the hills.

BigBob
31-07-2020, 12:20 PM
I think we are looking at capitulation now. Volume up too from the last few weeks. Let's see where it settles today...

Ogg
31-07-2020, 12:21 PM
More stock coming on the market for sale.

R.I.P. everyone.

Was nice knowing you all.

Balance
31-07-2020, 12:22 PM

I think we are looking at capitulation now. Volume up too from the last few weeks. Let's see where it settles today...

Opportunity for those with fortitude to get more shares at around 12c.

Ogg
31-07-2020, 12:24 PM
I have reason to believe the selling is coming from Perpetual. They're dumping their entire position.

Entrep
31-07-2020, 12:34 PM
What's the EV?

Ogg
31-07-2020, 12:36 PM
What's the EV?

Approx market cap + $11m debt

Entrep
31-07-2020, 12:42 PM
Approx market cap + $11m debt

Thanks, and sorry I think I wanted something else (my bad). The value less their cash and that big bit of debt due to be repaid next year or whenever.

Strip out the cash and the massive debt (cancel them out I guess) and what is left?

Ogg
31-07-2020, 12:45 PM
Thanks, and sorry I think I wanted something else (my bad). The value less their cash and that big bit of debt due to be repaid next year or whenever.

Strip out the cash and the massive debt (cancel them out I guess) and what is left?

See their latest investor presentation.

They basically have $100m cash and $100m bond due next year. Small drawn down on banking facility.

Net debt is approx $11m (going off the top of my head)

Beagle
31-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Never own shares in a downtrend....that said I added this to my watchlist today as at some stage the downtrend might end and it could be worth a punt once we see a clean break back above the 30 day moving average, (not in any circumstances before this as far as I am concerned), or seeing as the downtrend is so firmly entrenched I might wait for a clean break above the black line, the 100 day MA, if that ever happens ?

Plenty of systemic flaws with management's thinking...still thinking that Sport is the panacea to most of their woes. Maybe one day they will wake up and realise that there's hundreds of thousands of subscribers who couldn't care less about sport and then they can stop throwing absolutely ludicrous amounts of money at sport ?

Ogg
31-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Keeping some powder dry to top up

Me this time next week looking for things to burn...

https://i.imgur.com/JQQGMK9.gif

biker
31-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Starting to look cheap?

Entrep
31-07-2020, 01:34 PM
Here''s a readable version of Beagle chart https://cln.sh/UtcAWw