PDA

View Full Version : SKT Sky Network Television Limited.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

winner69
10-08-2020, 09:57 AM
I’m not doing the work for you mate.

2c per share NPAT as you claim sounds very GAAP to me - and in line with the top end of projected profit (pre COVID adjustment which now seems to be a worst case scenario that did not eventuate)

And if you aren’t referring to GAAP and have some concept of ‘normalised earnings’ then Christ only knows what that is because the figures you have touted have absolutely no bearing on how much money the business is actually earning.

All the best, I’m sure you will make the right call in the end based on investing within your circle of competence.

In my experience - if an investment doesn’t scream out at you as blindingly obvious to invest in, you should just move on.

Hey Ferg ...you don’t deserve a contemptuous response like that from mrT so don’t take it to heart.

I think mrT is guiding you to look at things like free cash flows and owners earnings. They do put Sky in a different light but you still have to assess what these are going forward to judge whether SKT is cheap now

Stranger_Danger
10-08-2020, 10:02 AM
What I'm really looking for in the results: "is Sky maintaining it's market position as a leading player in NZ media." If answer is "yes" (which is likely), I'm happy.

Stuff recently changed hands for $1 and it is maintaining it's market position as a leading player in NZ media.

Perhaps if Sinead has a second dollar, you'll finally get your takeover offer!

tqtq
10-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Its a hard stock to guess. When it was 65 cents did that not seem too cheap. Divided by 3 equals almost 22 cents a share. I would like to see this back to 30cents a share would would equal 90 cents a share. Let's hope.

65c did seem cheap to me back then but Sky had a lot of unaddressed debt at the time and it looks like the market was taking the worst possible view, even though Martin had just started to show the first signs of his brilliance. Then COVID hit. Now they have mapped out their transformation plan I’m guessing we’ll see the first signs of their ability to execute. CR was a good thing albeit painful and hopefully it’s wiped out some of the non-believers. If there are some good things to communicate to the market in the annual report that will rebuild confidence in Sky under Martin’s leadership. COVID would have accelerated neon take up which should have a much higher valuation to their business then the legacy business (which is great cash flow). Opening the doors on other markets with their huge database and advertising platform would be a good thing. IP (tracked) advertising will be a game changer. There’s a lot of possible good things that can boost sp from here (just my opinion-I’m not an expert). So I’m taking an optimistic view. I think the Olympics would make kiwis like Sky again, particularly if you can win a few medals! Discl: I’m in for 1m+ shares at the moment. Would by more if I could.

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 10:10 AM
I think mrT is guiding you to look at things like free cash flows and owners earnings. They do put Sky in a different light but you still have to assess what these are going forward to judge whether SKT is cheap now

This approach doesn’t seem to have helped mrT over the years ...he’s got a pretty sizeable holding but really is hoping like anything that one day he’ll get out of the hole he’s dug himself without losing too much (only speculation based on numbers he’s quoted in his posts over the last few months)

His original post refers to FCF - he has already attempted to look at that, but has drawn an incorrect conclusion. I know my message is blunt - but I am genuinely trying to give Ferg good advice (in the general sense).

That last part of yours was very very mean mate and really hurt my feelings. Now, I’m not going to try to get you booted off the platform or anything - even though that cut me deep...

But I seriously hope that Left Field finds time in what he referred to as his “part time unpaid work” as an editor to message you privately with a stern telling off like he did me!

And then, I think it is high time you and I hugged it out.

Ogg
10-08-2020, 10:14 AM
Stuff recently changed hands for $1 and it is maintaining it's market position as a leading player in NZ media.

Perhaps if Sinead has a second dollar, you'll finally get your takeover offer!

Sky UK recently changed hands for $39 billion.

Getty
10-08-2020, 10:21 AM
His original post refers to FCF - he has already attempted to look at that, but has drawn an incorrect conclusion. I know my message is blunt - but I am genuinely trying to give Ferg good advice (in the general sense).

That last part of yours was very very mean mate and really hurt my feelings. Now, I’m not going to try to get you booted off the platform or anything - even though that cut me deep...

But I seriously hope that Left Field finds time in what he referred to as his “part time unpaid work” as an editor to message you privately with a stern telling off like he did me!

And then, I think it is high time you and I hugged it out.

Aw, shucks, with plots like that, you guys should be writing scripts for Hollywood, er, well maybe Mills & Boon!

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Aw, shucks, with plots like that, you guys should be writing scripts for Hollywood, er, well maybe Mills & Boon!

I was hoping more for Brokeback Mountain tbh.

Me being Heath Ledger of course 😅

Getty
10-08-2020, 10:26 AM
with a name like that, you should be able to balance the books!

tqtq
10-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Which would make that about NZD $60 billion.

tqtq
10-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Quite a good article about Sky TV Europe takeover here: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45634303

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 10:51 AM
Which would make that about NZD $60 billion.
Yeah so apparently SKY UK is worth damn near 250 times SKY TV NZ.

I think I would rather buy 250 SKY NZ’s than own one SKY UK.

But then again, I am an idiot.

Snow Leopard
10-08-2020, 11:01 AM
...But then again, I am an idiot.

At last you say something we can all agree on. :p

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 11:04 AM
At last you say something we can all agree on. :p

Like Alfred Ludlow once said to Tristan Ludlow when they were arguing about who gets to bang their dead brothers fiancé in Legends of The Fall...

“YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!”

Stranger_Danger
10-08-2020, 11:16 AM

Excellent, we have a valuation range. $1 to $39 billion. Shall we have a bet on which is closer?

Quantitative Easing
10-08-2020, 11:31 AM
This might be out of the Louisiana conspiracy theory box but...Isn't it interesting how the Kings College vs Auckland Grammar rugby game was broadcast by Spark last year and Sky this year. Perhaps a sign that Spark has lost appetite in going after sport, especially rugby?

If there is no Spark Sport sky share price would be a lot higher.

Getty
10-08-2020, 11:33 AM
Excellent, we have a valuation range. $1 to $39 billion. Shall we have a bet on which is closer?

Put me down for a dollar each way..

Ogg
10-08-2020, 11:39 AM

I'll bet that it's $523,883,867.39

Closest to the pin wins?

tqtq
10-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Yeah so apparently SKY UK is worth damn near 250 times SKY TV NZ.

I think I would rather buy 250 SKY NZ’s than own one SKY UK.

But then again, I am an idiot.

Me too. The interesting thing was Bob Iger from Disney was always planning to launch a streaming service, Disney+, irrespective of whether Disney bought Sky TV Europe of not. So he could clearly see the value in Sky.

tqtq
10-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Closest to the pin wins?

1,000,000,000.00 (at least).

Getty
10-08-2020, 12:10 PM
mmm, just marginally more than current market cap of $241m @13.8c

shazam
10-08-2020, 12:11 PM
This might be out of the Louisiana conspiracy theory box but...Isn't it interesting how the Kings College vs Auckland Grammar rugby game was broadcast by Spark last year and Sky this year. Perhaps a sign that Spark has lost appetite in going after sport, especially rugby?

If there is no Spark Sport sky share price would be a lot higher.

Probably just picking their battles and leaving rugby alone. Spark signed on as the Wellington Phoenix technology partner recently, and there was a little hint on the Twitter announcement thread that Spark Sport may go for the aleague rights in the future.

Getty
10-08-2020, 12:13 PM
I wonder if there's any arbitrage to be made?

tqtq
10-08-2020, 12:49 PM
mmm, just marginally more than current market cap of $241m @13.8c

~4x but if this if Sky is not a beaten up stock with potential I don't know what is

tqtq
10-08-2020, 12:51 PM
I wonder if there's any arbitrage to be made?

It depends on what type of business Sky is when it hits what it should be

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 01:09 PM
~4x but if this if Sky is not a beaten up stock with potential I don't know what is

Yeah that seems fair given they are likely to resume dividends in the range of 2c - 4c per annum from FY22.

tqtq
10-08-2020, 01:41 PM
Yeah that seems fair given they are likely to resume dividends in the range of 2c - 4c per annum from FY22.

Yep. And I would think that is what it would be – even without any takeover premium.

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 01:46 PM
Yep. And I would think that is what it would be – even without any takeover premium.

Aye, even for those on very low average buy ins - I don’t think you should want a takeover now. You would get pennies on the dollar.

Rather let a dividend resume soon - get a significant lift in SP and then pray for a takeover if that is the exit you want.

For a company that can still easily pay a $50M dividend, letting someone come in now and offer, say, $300Mish would be insane.

Especially with the very clear plans now to stabilise and grow the business. A market value of $1B is not ridiculous if the execution is good. Doesn’t have to be perfect execution - just get more stuff right than mistakes made (there will be mistakes).

Quantitative Easing
10-08-2020, 01:48 PM

I think before resuming dividends Sky should do a share buy back scheme. It would be far more valuable to do that as opposed to pay out dividends.

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 01:54 PM
I think before resuming dividends Sky should do a share buy back scheme. It would be far more valuable to do that as opposed to pay out dividends.

Yeah that is very true - depending on how the SP behaves after the next lot of results.

If it is still way low then I too would much prefer a buyback than a dividend. But I bet they will choose to declare a dividend instead because it will have a better affect on the SP (short term).

The Board will be under a lot of pressure to sort out the share price right now. And not everyone is a long term investor preferring buybacks etc for a higher gain in the long run.

tqtq
10-08-2020, 02:00 PM
Aye, even for those on very low average buy ins - I don’t think you should want a takeover now. You would get pennies on the dollar.

Rather let a dividend resume soon - get a significant lift in SP and then pray for a takeover of that is the exit you want.

For a company that can still easily pay a $50M dividend, letting someone come in now and offer, say, $300Mish would be insane.

Especially with the very clear plans now to stabilise and grow the business. A market value of $1B is not ridiculous if the execution is good. Doesn’t have to be perfect execution - just get more stuff right than mistakes made (there will be mistakes).

Yes, a takeover now would be bad and a fire sale. But a proposal would be good and would give Martin a platform and if played right, make him a hero. I don't think the board would be on board but if the institutions were I'd hope that Black Crane or Allans Grey would pop-up and talk some sense into them.

Quantitative Easing
10-08-2020, 02:13 PM
Yeah that is very true - depending on how the SP behaves after the next lot of results.

If it is still way low then I too would much prefer a buyback than a dividend. But I bet they will choose to declare a dividend instead because it will have a better affect on the SP (short term).

The Board will be under a lot of pressure to sort out the share price right now. And not everyone is a long term investor preferring buybacks etc for a higher gain in the long run.

Imagine doing a $50m buyback for a $250m company. One would think the share price would go up on that than say a 50m dividend payout.

Ogg
10-08-2020, 02:20 PM
I'd hope that Black Crane would pop-up and talk some sense into them.

https://i.ibb.co/qJYGNd4/black.jpg

winner69
10-08-2020, 02:24 PM
All old stuff but if you replaced the word Foxtel with the word Sky in this article Norway would you be buying sky shares (except for a punt and a quick buck)

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/content-is-king-global-giants-put-squeeze-on-local-players-growth-plans-20200809-p55k22.html

Ogg
10-08-2020, 02:29 PM
All old stuff but if you replaced the word Foxtel with the word Sky in this article Norway would you be buying sky shares (except for a punt and a quick buck)

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/content-is-king-global-giants-put-squeeze-on-local-players-growth-plans-20200809-p55k22.html

Replace the word "ViacomCBS", with "Sky" and then replace the word "Halo" with Rugby.

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Imagine doing a $50m buyback for a $250m company. One would think the share price would go up on that than say a 50m dividend payout.

Stop talking dirty to me mate, you know how I get...🥰

tqtq
10-08-2020, 02:45 PM

It’s short term for the content owners too. Their share price is getting a bump but when they start churning customers who don’t want multiple subscriptions they’ll come to their senses. Not everything that works in the US works in Australia or New Zealand.

tqtq
10-08-2020, 02:50 PM

Tempting but they could possibly make quite a bit off that money too though I wonder how that would compare to the increase in sp.

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 02:52 PM
It’s short term for the content owners too. Their share price is getting a bump but when they start churning customers who don’t want multiple subscriptions they’ll come to their senses. Not everything that works in the US works in Australia or New Zealand.

Yes, a lot of content is only consumable by the masses when it is aggregated.

If they all ditched Sky there is no way I would subscribe to Netflix + Hulu + HBO Max + Showtime + Disney+ and whoever else thinks it is a great idea to ‘go direct’.

I don’t believe for a second that the day of the aggregator is over. Whether or not Sky hold their position as the aggregator for NZ is another question... but aggregation will continue in one form or another.

I believe Sky is in the best position to provide a service for that need.

Quantitative Easing
10-08-2020, 03:00 PM
Replace the word "ViacomCBS", with "Sky" and then replace the word "Halo" with Rugby.

There is a global market for Rugby. But it's nothing like football in Europe or cricket in India.

I am struggling to see any cash cows markets...maybe northern india/pakistan. Rugby is similar to kabbadi, so might get some traction over in those areas.

Ogg
10-08-2020, 03:04 PM
There is a global market for Rugby. But it's nothing like football in Europe or cricket in India.

I am struggling to see any cash cows markets...maybe northern india/pakistan. Rugby is similar to kabbadi, so might get some traction over in those areas.

Japan maybe. But yeah, not a big cash cow.

Let's say Rugbypass is worth $50m.

Is Neon and the Satellite business only worth $187m according to today's market price?

tqtq
10-08-2020, 03:12 PM

Yes, a lot of content is only consumable by the masses when it is aggregated.

If they all ditched Sky there is no way I would subscribe to Netflix + Hulu + HBO Max + Showtime + Disney+ and whoever else thinks it is a great idea to ‘go direct’.

I don’t believe for a second that the day of the aggregator is over. Whether or not Sky hold their position as the aggregator for NZ is another question... but aggregation will continue in one form or another.

I believe Sky is in the best position to provide a service for that need.

Yes. And Sky is always going to be in the mix with it’s Rugby and it’s range of other sports.

Quantitative Easing
10-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Japan maybe. But yeah, not a big cash cow.

Let's say Rugbypass is worth $50m.

Is Neon and the Satellite business only worth $187m according to today's market price?

I think just having the All Blacks on Sky is probably worth more than 187m. That is our biggest strength. We can't loose the All Blacks. Neon might start loosing content and Satellite business is diminishing.

Our biggest immediate enemy is Spark. We need to get rid of Spark from being interested in sport, perhaps in the house of cards style if required. Let's see how the cricket season goes.

Quantitative Easing
10-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Looking at this Rugbypass should target Sri Lanka, Kenya, Malaysia and India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_union_playing_countries

tqtq
10-08-2020, 03:23 PM
https://i.ibb.co/qJYGNd4/black.jpg

There’s a few other Black Crane’s too right, such as Allan Gray.

mistaTea
10-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Anyone watching Devils on NEON?

I like to think of myself as Massimo - only without the brilliant trading ability nor the ‘cool’ Italian vibe...

nztx
10-08-2020, 07:49 PM

Closest to the pin wins?

how did you manage to dig up the $0.39 part ? ..

winner69
11-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Shareprice down again today (so far)

Maybe the hope that it’s turn around of the last few days was ill founded and it’s started to head down to sub 12

Balance
11-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Shareprice down again today (so far)

Maybe the hope that it’s turn around of the last few days was ill founded and it’s started to head down to sub 12

Part of the ebb & flow until results, I think W69.

There were huge volume done at under 13c and in this kind of market, traders are probably happy to take their 10% gain in a week or so.

Good opportunity for believers to top up?

Entrep
11-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Part of the ebb & flow until results, I think W69.

There were huge volume done at under 13c and in this kind of market, traders are probably happy to take their 10% gain in a week or so.

Good opportunity for believers to top up?

Good lesson for novice traders on why one should wait for MAs to be reclaimed before trying to knife catch

Snow Leopard
11-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Good lesson for novice traders on why one should wait for MAs to be reclaimed before trying to knife catch

But once you get beyond novice you realise that MA's are pretty useless. :ohmy:

Dlownz
11-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Not a lot of volume today. But the depth strengthening up. So I don't think we will see much movement down unless some people really want out. If you didn't take your chance last week I'm afraid yourve missed out

Entrep
11-08-2020, 03:28 PM
If you didn't take your chance last week I'm afraid yourve missed out

The price has fallen from $6 to 12c and we've missed out now its at 13c. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

tqtq
11-08-2020, 03:59 PM

Or you could be early. Which is a lot better than being late.

Dlownz
11-08-2020, 04:22 PM
The price has fallen from $6 to 12c and we've missed out now its at 13c. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Yes that's right.
There's only one direction now and once the result out its going to keep climbing.
Yesterday I think everyone was hoping they were going to get another go at the lows and now they've realised it's as cheap as it's going to get. I'm just wondering if the negative Nancy's on here and sharesies are just the one that have been stung to hard and don't want to see it succeed after they bailed. Right or Wrong.
Disclaimer. Holder

steveb
11-08-2020, 04:26 PM
so the big question will be will the instos start selling if it gets to 15c.There's only a couple of mil shares between 14 and 15c.

Entrep
11-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Or you could be early. Which is a lot better than being late.

Tell that to the person that bought at $1 thinking they were getting a steal from $6, they had 85% of their capital wiped out

willyg
11-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Could someone tell me the date of the 2020 annual results / webcast? Thanks

tqtq
11-08-2020, 06:43 PM
Tell that to the person that bought at $1 thinking they were getting a steal from $6, they had 85% of their capital wiped out

Investing is speculative and there's no guarantee that prices will always go up. So if you own shares, you should really take an interest in the share price, and try and get an understanding of what's driving the movement up or down. In the case of SKT, it's largely Covid + the CR, in my opinion, that's knocked down the share price from $1 to 13c. The tone of your reply makes it sounds like this is personal for you. Is that the case? I'm sorry if it is. If it's of any comfort, I do believe there's a possibility for the share price to go back up, it may even get close to $1. So keep holding mate.

Entrep
11-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Investing is speculative and there's no guarantee that prices will always go up. So if you own shares, you should really take an interest in the share price, and try and get an understanding of what's driving the movement up or down. In the case of SKT, it's largely Covid + the CR, in my opinion, that's knocked down the share price from $1 to 13c. The tone of your reply makes it sounds like this is personal for you. Is that the case? I'm sorry if it is. If it's of any comfort, I do believe there's a possibility for the share price to go back up, it may even get close to $1. So keep holding mate.

I don’t have any interest and have never held sky just trying to understand how being early is better than being late when you can try and catch a falling knife and get badly burned - say 22c down to 13c all of which happened post Covid and lost people 50% of their capital, or you can wait for some sort of bullish action and greatly reduce your chances of a successful investment

Balance
11-08-2020, 06:55 PM

Then there are those who bought ATM at 10 cents - that’s what the sharemarket is about.

And if one goes back far enough, News Corp at A$2.00.

winner69
11-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Todays price action --- one really cool chart

Probably continue its strong upwards trend tomorrow

Leftfield
11-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Todays price action --- one really cool chart

Probably continue its strong upwards trend tomorrow

Crikey! Great chart Winner. That's one for the pool room. (Even better than Trump's pretty Covid charts.)

tqtq
11-08-2020, 07:16 PM
I don’t have any interest and have never held sky just trying to understand how being early is better than being late when you can try and catch a falling knife and get badly burned - say 22c down to 13c all of which happened post Covid and lost people 50% of their capital, or you can wait for some sort of bullish action and greatly reduce your chances of a successful investment

Buying at 22c would be a lot better than buying at ~28c which is where (I think) quite a few of us who do own sky shares believe it would be later this year. If this plays out, early is better than being late. If it doesn't play out that way, that would make your right, which I doubt would be the case.

winner69
11-08-2020, 07:30 PM
Beagle is interested in having a go with SKT

Needs to see the price to break through the 30MA

I reckon he’ll be a shareholder later this week / early next week.

Ogg
11-08-2020, 07:32 PM
that’s what the sharemarket is about.

What the sharemarket is really about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUjb2HRxEY

tqtq
11-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Then there are those who bought ATM at 10 cents - that’s what the sharemarket is about.

And if one goes back far enough, News Corp at A$2.00.

True that. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Some time early ends up being late.

tqtq
11-08-2020, 07:51 PM
What the sharemarket is really about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUjb2HRxEY

It can be full on. If it wasn't for share trader, I'd probably be squanching.

Snow Leopard
11-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Beagle is interested in having a go with SKT

Needs to see the price to break through the 30MA

I reckon he’ll be a shareholder later this week / early next week.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0524/5661/files/Charlie_Brown_large.jpg?v=1527496476

Entrep
11-08-2020, 08:58 PM
Buying at 22c would be a lot better than buying at ~28c which is where (I think) quite a few of us who do own sky shares believe it would be later this year. If this plays out, early is better than being late. If it doesn't play out that way, that would make your right, which I doubt would be the case.its not about right or wrong it’s about less risk

Entrep
11-08-2020, 09:31 PM
ATM at 10c and Sky at 10c. Yeah totally the same thing

ratkin
12-08-2020, 06:22 AM
Well, that is the rugby gone for the forseeable

winner69
12-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Probably sold it for $1

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Probably sold it for $1

Referring to this? https://www.nzx.com/announcements/357802

They should have contacted you and I if that was the case mate - we could have gone halves.

Getty
12-08-2020, 09:38 AM
...further enhancing our great story telling...
I think there's a few on here would agree with that statement.

Selling OSB is a retrograde step.
They didnt need to sell to raise capital, the SPP did that.
Now ,they are going to have to pay a premium to NEP to get the same service.
As for avoiding $50m future capex in OSB, do you think NEP will do it for SKY at no charge, just because they like them?
It's like when local bodies privatised services, did the ratepayer finish up paying less?
Yeah, Right!

tqtq
12-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Referring to this? https://www.nzx.com/announcements/357802

They should have contacted you and I if that was the case mate - we could have gone halves.

Could be freeing up cash to purchase mediaworks

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 09:46 AM
...further enhancing our great story telling...
I think there's a few on here would agree with that statement.

Selling OSB is a retrograde step.
They didnt need to sell to raise capital, the SPP did that.
Now ,they are going to have to pay a premium to NEP to get the same service.
As for avoiding $50m future capex in OSB, do you think NEP will do it for SKY at no charge, just because they like them?
It's like when local bodies privatised services, did the ratepayer finish up paying less?
Yeah, Right!

Yeah could give some short-medium saving a but end up costing more in the long run.

Hard to know without understanding how much NEP paid is for OSB and what the pricing model is for NEP provide us with the service over the next 10 years.

In principle, I do think it is right for Sky to find more ways to become leaner and meaner though. Cost control is going to be critical moving forward.

OSB became less valuable as soon as NEP set up shop. So does it make sense to have all the ongoing OPEX and CAPEX to own an asset that is no longer a competitive advantage?

Getty
12-08-2020, 09:49 AM
I doubt if there was any restraint of trade, so now the coverage could be sold to any one, Spark?
Not withstanding Exclusive rights deals like rugby for now.

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 09:52 AM
I doubt if there was any restraint of trade, so now the coverage could be sold to any one, Spark?
Not withstanding Exclusive rights deals like rugby for now.

Spark already have a deal with NEP for the cricket...

Getty
12-08-2020, 09:54 AM
And competitive advantage flies out the window for Sky.

dompf
12-08-2020, 10:27 AM
And competitive advantage flies out the window for Sky.

Hammer time, lol may see 12's again today

Ogg
12-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Excellent news.

OSB was one of the major hurdles for a takeover.

ComCom clearance now guaranteed.

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Excellent news.

Wow, Mr Market really is displeased with this development.

ThaiJohn
12-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Wow, Mr Market really is displeased with this development.

Mr Market is down over 250 points, didn't realise skt was such a behemoth.

Getty
12-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Ring Ring
NEP. Good morning, how can we help?
Sky. Its Sky here, hey, we've heard there's an exciting Motocross event on in Woodville, 6 weeks time, we need to book an OSB unit to cover it live.
NEP. Great idea, oh, hang on, I've just checked, we're booked out to Spark & Flint that weekend.
Sky. Well damnit, can't you put a unit together?
NEP Well, NO!, you of all people should know how much that costs, we cant afford to have 1 just on standby for you.
Sky. Sh@t!!

You get the picture.

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Earnings guidance has been confirmed - so Sky will have generated ~$70M-$75M underlying Owner Earnings over the last 12 months ending June 30.

Add in the $148M net proceeds in the CR and the company has been able to generate a total of $218M cash to be used on growth initiatives.

Having that kind of money does not guarantee success of course, but it does give them a strong position to transition from imo.

Personally, I think the OSB sale is a decent move. Pros and cons for doing this - but they have to become a leaner organisation and OSB was no longer a competitive advantage.

Akane
12-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Spark: Retail Service Provider mostly focused on mobile and broadband, with a side of broadcasting/streaming
SKT: Broadcasting provider with streaming and with a (soon to be) side of Retail Service Provider for broadband.

Hmmmm :/

n908671
12-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Ring Ring
NEP. Good morning, how can we help?
Sky. Its Sky here, hey, we've heard there's an exciting Motocross event on in Woodville, 6 weeks time, we need to book an OSB unit to cover it live.
NEP. Great idea, oh, hang on, I've just checked, we're booked out to Spark & Flint that weekend.
Sky. Well damnit, can't you put a unit together?
NEP Well, NO!, you of all people should know how much that costs, we cant afford to have 1 just on standby for you.
Sky. Sh@t!!

You get the picture.

Or the other way of looking at it:

Sky: We have an OSB unit that we have paid full cost for but it sits around half the time doing nothing until we have a need for it
NEP: We run short of OSB units occassionally but don't really have enough work to put another unit together.

GR8DAY
12-08-2020, 11:06 AM
Hey with maybe $250m cash in the coffers and still generating $75m earnings they may decide to give us some back by way of dividend or early xmas pressie???

This sale is good news......theyve completed what they informed us was the plan going forward,.....being consistent and being procative is important for the market and us shareholders.

Getty
12-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Or the other way of looking at it:

Sky: We have an OSB unit that we have paid full cost for but it sits around half the time doing nothing until we have a need for it
NEP: We run short of OSB units occassionally but don't really have enough work to put another unit together.

Or, another way at the board table,
We have adequate OSB's to handle our forward programming, and fill any gaps that eventuate.
Bugger what the opposition require!

Getty
12-08-2020, 11:18 AM
and if we have any excess capacity, we can get the sods out there making a few documentaries..

tqtq
12-08-2020, 11:24 AM
Earnings guidance has been confirmed - so Sky will have generated ~$70M-$75M underlying Owner Earnings over the last 12 months ending June 30.

Add in the $148M net proceeds in the CR and the company has been able to generate a total of $218M cash to be used on growth initiatives.

Having that kind of money does not guarantee success of course, but it does give them a strong position to transition from imo.

Personally, I think the OSB sale is a decent move. Pros and cons for doing this - but they have to become a leaner organisation and OSB was no longer a competitive advantage.

Sky’s got a great amount of cash for its market cap. There is going to be A LOT of takeover interest. If it’s taken over by a company with a large multiple they’d effectively be getting Sky for free. It’s just good news for sky from here on in my opinion.

Balance
12-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Excellent news.

Very good point, Ogg.

Step by step.

tqtq
12-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Mr Market is down over 250 points, didn't realise skt was such a behemoth.

Nothing to do with the lockdown.

Balance
12-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Deleted deleted

Ogg
12-08-2020, 11:58 AM
Very good point, Ogg.

Step by step.

Without OSB, Sky is effectively a reseller of media content.

Results were due on the 21st of August, but have now been pushed out to the 10th September, most likely to enable due diligence for a takeover and not because of the level 3 lockdown.

Only retail holders and traders selling now. Large institutional holders sitting tight.

There's likely going to be a material announcement either on, or before the 10th September.

It's looking more likely that Mediaworks and Sky will be sold together to an offshore buyer. The question is, will Infratil make a bid?

Exciting times. Ignore "Mr Market", let him keep selling it lower.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 12:02 PM
MistaTea it's time to join the takeover camp. :eek2:

Sky is finished as a stand only business.

Quantitative Easing
12-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Without OSB, Sky is effectively a reseller of media content.

Results were due on the 21st of August, but have now been pushed out to the 10th September, most likely to enable due diligence for a takeover and not because of the level 3 lockdown.

Only retail holders and traders selling now. Large institutional holders sitting tight.

There's likely going to be a material announcement either on, or before the 10th September.

It's looking more likely that Mediaworks and Sky will be sold together to an offshore buyer. The question is, will Infratil make a bid?

Exciting times. Ignore "Mr Market", let him keep selling it lower.

Agree results pushed in order to complete due diligence for a takeover. Why have they been so mum about results announcement (because tyres had been kicked since while ago). This results announcement might end up being trivial. They gave no emphasis on it on today's announcement.

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 12:19 PM
MistaTea it's time to join the takeover camp. :eek2:

Sky is finished as a stand only business.

I continue to believe that you make a compelling case Ogg. Pushing the results date out is indeed mysterious.

The best thing for Sky TV is to be taken private. The market noise is just a distraction for them right now.

So let's see what happens.

I also think IFT would be crazy not to make a bid if Sky is being sold. If Discovery bought Sky and then entered broadband and mobile...it would be a terrible outcome for Vodafone.

Balance
12-08-2020, 12:32 PM
I continue to believe that you make a compelling case Ogg. Pushing the results date out is indeed mysterious.

The best thing for Sky TV is to be taken private. The market noise is just a distraction for them right now.

So let's see what happens.

I also think IFT would be crazy not to make a bid if Sky is being sold. If Discovery bought Sky and then entered broadband and mobile...it would be a terrible outcome for Vodafone.

One thing about takeovers.

In the old days, we used to get advance warnings via sp movements - ie. insiders & their associates buying as the lawyers & bankers started work.

These days, takeovers simply happen - you do not get a chance to get set.

Be there or be square, as the saying goes.

Getty
12-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Accountancy #1001.

Homeowner (with pride) You know, I've owned my house for 20 years now
Accountant. What?, You complete idiot!!
H. I beg your pardon?
A. dont you realise how much interest you have paid?, and in your case its not even tax deductable.
H. But..
A. dont you but me, the best way of debt reduction, is not to take it on in the first place!
H. Well,
A. you should be unWell!, dont you keep track of all the maintanence you have paid in that time?
H. So, if I had a Landlord, they would do it all?.
A. Yes!
H. Gee, I wish I had come to see you 20 years ago!
I wonder if NEP will buy my house??

RGR367
12-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Accountancy #1001.

H. I beg your pardon?
A. dont you realise how much interest you have paid?, and in your case its not even tax deductable.
H. But..
A. dont you but me, the best way of debt reduction, is not to take it on in the first place!
H. Well,
A. you should be unWell!, dont you keep track of all the maintanence you have paid in that time?
A. Yes!

Glad it's your Accountancy 1001 as it makes no point at all.
The selling was a good move imho.

Quantitative Easing
12-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Accountancy #1001.

H. I beg your pardon?
H. But..
H. Well,
A. Yes!

People don't realise how hard it is to be a landlord or even a home owner.

Mind you Home & Income is the biggest gravy train in the property market these days. You are virtually untaxed on rent from 'boarders', regardless of how many you have. Also you are exempt from the tenancy laws (evictions etc..) that apply to tenants in investment properties. Granny flats will be hot especially since council got rid of consent requirements for small unattached buildings.

Cadalac123
12-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Hilarious at people saying it's going to dip down to 12c based on the OPEN movement. You would have sold at a huge discount to todays price for no reason.

Not saying it doesn't have potential to dip again, but selling on open following COVID news like that is probably the worst thing you can do, always better to wait a little especially for stocks dual listed on ASX.

Balance
12-08-2020, 12:57 PM
Hilarious at people saying it's going to dip down to 12c based on the OPEN movement. You would have sold at a huge discount to todays price for no reason.

Not saying it doesn't have potential to dip again, but selling on open following COVID news like that is probably the worst thing you can do, always better to wait a little especially for stocks dual listed on ASX.

Same thing happened in March, remember?

Illustrating again that history repeats itself.

Cadalac123
12-08-2020, 01:00 PM
Same thing happened in March, remember?

Illustrating again that history repeats itself.

Yeah, and just lol at some of the posters on here. I'm sure some newer investors would be influenced by doomsday posts, especially regarding the sell off of the OSB. The posts make it sound like the company is dead now.

They met their guidance. Enterprise value is looking not bad at all. Share price isn't exactly overbought by any means right now.

Balance
12-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Yeah, and just lol at some of the posters on here. I'm sure some newer investors would be influenced by doomsday posts, especially regarding the sell off of the OSB. The posts make it sound like the company is dead now.

They met their guidance. Enterprise value is looking not bad at all. Share price isn't exactly overbought by any means right now.

Could not resist - loaded up with more stock this morning.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Market slowly figuring out how significant this announcement is.

The stock should close in the green if Mr Market had any brains.

It's the equivalent to Telecom spinning off Chorus.

Company changing announcement.

tqtq
12-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Could not resist - loaded up with more stock this morning.

Smart move!

Ogg
12-08-2020, 01:10 PM
Timing of the OSB sale was perfect. Rugby season is ending. Covid-19 is now back in NZ.

Even if it was sold for $1 it's a great outcome.

tqtq
12-08-2020, 01:13 PM

Sky haven't made any mention of the progress they've made with their growth plans which should come out in the presentation meaning more good news which they'll need money to fund. They'll have something big to talk about – which they can't do just as yet.

dompf
12-08-2020, 01:15 PM

I've scooped up some more this morning, business hitting guidance and they have lots of cash. Happy with sale of OSB to out source the cost and they looking juicy with all that $. Wonder what will happen to the rugby this weekend I hope it goes ahead but time will tell on Friday I guess.

Getty
12-08-2020, 01:16 PM
Timing of the OSB sale was perfect. Rugby season is ending. Covid-19 is now back in NZ.

I now understand the meaning of the phrase, 'the almighty dollar"

Dlownz
12-08-2020, 01:19 PM
The only way the rugby will go ahead is if they move it to somewhere else. Just without the crowds. Shame really

steveb
12-08-2020, 01:19 PM

And don't forget the wage subsidy is coming to an end

Ogg
12-08-2020, 01:23 PM
And don't forget the wage subsidy is coming to an end

It wasn't about selling OSB, it was about securing a third party broadcaster for the next 10 years and then freeing themselves from the ComCom.

Sky is now debt free, loaded up with assets, with very little future capital costs.

Door is now wide open for take over.

Bidding should start 10th September.

This is the time to push in all your chips!

dompf
12-08-2020, 01:24 PM
And don't forget the wage subsidy is coming to an end The initial one is ending the extension is also in place for a further 8 weeks.

Entrep
12-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Bidding should start 10th September.

Do you have a time and venue?

Ogg
12-08-2020, 01:48 PM
Do you have a time and venue?

Wellington probably, so Marko (infratil) doesn't have too far to travel. Rebecca (Discovery) will join by Zoom. Maybe Chris from NBCuniversal will join in for a three way. 10am good?

tqtq
12-08-2020, 01:50 PM
I've scooped up some more this morning, business hitting guidance and they have lots of cash. Happy with sale of OSB to out source the cost and they looking juicy with all that $. Wonder what will happen to the rugby this weekend I hope it goes ahead but time will tell on Friday I guess.

Great stuff

tqtq
12-08-2020, 01:52 PM
It's looking like Sky will end up another 0.5c or ~4% higher today on the ASX

steveb
12-08-2020, 01:53 PM
no particular reason but my gut is telling me this could be a management buyout,just given the amount of cash floating around.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Wellington probably, so Marko (infratil) doesn't have too far to travel. Rebecca (Discovery) will join by Zoom. Maybe Chris from NBCuniversal will join in for a three way. 10am good?

Will call Martin from AT&T, cause HBO might throw in a bid.

Looks like we'll need 4 chairs.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 01:57 PM
could be a management buyout

Just lol.

Management will be serving the orange juice.

Getty
12-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Will call Martin from AT&T, cause HBO might throw in a bid.

Looks like we'll need 4 chairs.

Just when I was gonna say 3 cheers, I've been out bidded..

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 02:00 PM
Management will be serving the orange juice.

LOLLLL.

Yeah, buying shares of Sky TV is not something this management have ever shown any interest in, that's for sure!

Balance
12-08-2020, 02:07 PM
LOLLLL.

Yeah, buying shares of Sky TV is not something this management have ever shown any interest in, that's for sure!

Saving their $$$ for now? 🤪

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 02:14 PM
Saving their $$$ for now? 浪

Haha, maybe ;)

If a takeover is looming - and there seems to be more consensus on this forum now that the results have been delayed that a pending takeover is most likely why - then let us hope Ogg's idea of a threeway between IFT, Discovery and NBCUniversal comes true.

If Discovery end up nabbing TV3 I would think they are in the drivers seat for grabbing Sky. Comcom and OIO approval is a given for them (or NBCUniversal for that matter).

IFT should get approval too, but I think the Comcom would still scrutinise merging Sky with an existing telco harder than a big US Company that will buy Sky and turn it into another telco (and therefore, more competition).

Ogg
12-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Haha, maybe ;)

If a takeover is looming - and there seems to be more consensus on this forum now that the results have been delayed that a pending takeover is most likely why - then let us hope Ogg's idea of a threeway between IFT, Discovery and NBCUniversal comes true.

If Discovery end up nabbing TV3 I would think they are in the drivers seat for grabbing Sky. Comcom and OIO approval is a given for them (or NBCUniversal for that matter).

IFT should get approval too, but I think the Comcom would still scrutinise merging Sky with an existing telco harder than a big US Company that will buy Sky and turn it into another telco (and therefore, more competition).

As much as I want a bidding war, you would have to think Infrail are in the drivers seat here. They're the most logical buyer. They are cashed up and wanting to take on Spark with the cricket rights.

I'm thinking this is all going to be wrapped up rather quickly. It's likely OSB was part of the condition, hence why that is being spin off now.

30c does seem a far way off from here but like what a user here before suggested, the Opus takeover was done at an almost 100% premium. It's gotta be somewhere in the mid 20's you would think to get support from Jupiter, ACC and Kiltearn, who are all long term sufferers of the stock.

Big boys aren't selling here. Ignore all the short term price movements of the stock. Wait for the big announcement...it's coming.

Quantitative Easing
12-08-2020, 02:54 PM

Ménage à trois

Ogg
12-08-2020, 02:58 PM
I'm tipping a Mediaworks/Sky/Vodafone mega merger. Like what I've said all along.

Hence why the Mediaworks sale announcement is taking so long.

Hence why Sky results have been pushed out to 10th September.

Only question is, will there be any crumbs for retail investors here?

winner69
12-08-2020, 02:59 PM
How big is this ‘mountain of cash’?

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 03:00 PM
As much as I want a bidding war, you would have to think Infrail are in the drivers seat here. They're the most logical buyer. They are cashed up and wanting to take on Spark with the cricket rights.

Absolutely agree with the strong case presented as to why IFT should be the one to by Sky. And it may well be that they surface as the buyer in the next few weeks.

The only reason I wonder now is because of the speculation about Discovery buying TV3. I don't really see why you would want to just buy TV3...unless you are buying Sky too.

So of the media speculation is correct (and it may be absolute bs) and Discovery are at the final stages of buying TV3...securing that asset, merging it with Sky and then turning it into a telco that can seriously compete with the big boys (Spark and Vodafone) would be a compelling prospect. Possibly the best outcome for consumers.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 03:09 PM
Absolutely agree with the strong case presented as to why IFT should be the one to by Sky. And it may well be that they surface as the buyer in the next few weeks.

The only reason I wonder now is because of the speculation about Discovery buying TV3. I don't really see why you would want to just buy TV3...unless you are buying Sky too.

So of the media speculation is correct (and it may be absolute bs) and Discovery are at the final stages of buying TV3...securing that asset, merging it with Sky and then turning it into a telco that can seriously compete with the big boys (Spark and Vodafone) would be a compelling prospect. Possibly the best outcome for consumers.

Discovery buying Mediaworks does put a thorn in my "theory", but they are just rumors. If it was Discovery you would have thought they would have bought it by now.

I think Discovery were just the backup plan for Brooksfield if their lawyers said a mega merger wouldn't get ComCom approval. Maybe the lawyers have gone over everything now and are confident a mega merger would get the green light. In other words Brooksfield were just stringing along Discovery.

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 03:13 PM
How big is this ‘mountain of cash’?

Perhaps more of a knoll.

$118M cash - $100M bond repayment + whatever $ they get for OSB + retained earnings = Sky TV cash knoll.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Maybe Discovery are buying Mediaworks, but only on the condition that Infratil/Brooksfield get Sky. Maybe that's why Sky pushed out results to the 10th September, so that they can get ComCom clearance for OSB, and also Discovery can get ComCom clearance for Mediaworks. Then on the 10th of September it all goes unconditional.

Infratil/Brooksfield would have to finalize the purchase of Sky, but with Discovery out of the way it's clean sailing for them.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 03:23 PM
It would also be a big help for Infratil/Brooksfield if Discovery bought Mediaworks. Because then Infratil/Brooksfield could argue to the ComCom there's more competition now, which would mean getting the greenlight for buying Sky.

It's really about slicing up the cake and making everyone happy.

Will we get a piece tho?

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 03:40 PM
It would also be a big help for Infratil/Brooksfield if Discovery bought Mediaworks. Because then Infratil/Brooksfield could argue to the ComCom there's more competition now, which would mean getting the greenlight for buying Sky.

Will we get a piece tho?

Someone us getting excited! I bet you won't be able to focus at work now mate as you wait for 'the news' :D

If Infratil or Discovery could be generous enough to offer me 36c I could clear my mortgage and buy a brand new mustang. That would be nice...

And that is only NZ$628.66M for them. Chump change...

Ogg
12-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Someone us getting excited! I bet you won't be able to focus at work now mate as you wait for 'the news' :D

If Infratil or Discovery could be generous enough to offer me 36c I could clear my mortgage and buy a brand new mustang. That would be nice...

And that is only NZ$628.66M for them. Chump change...

Work is drying up here. Lockdown!

Sucks having to wait until the 10th September.

36c would be nice. I'd take a lot less, but you know my position :D

winner69
12-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Perhaps more of a knoll.

$118M cash - $100M bond repayment + whatever $ they get for OSB + retained earnings = Sky TV cash knoll.

Isn’t the retained earnings in the $118m?

So the knoll $18,000,001

But bank willing to lend heaps if they need it

Ogg
12-08-2020, 03:53 PM

The real question is, will the bank allow a leveraged buy out.

Buy Sky now for $1 and but the rest on the credit card.

mistaTea
12-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Isn’t the retained earnings in the $118m?

So the knoll $18,000,001

Ah yes, that would be correct :ohmy:

Getty
12-08-2020, 04:09 PM
2 mindsets at work, those who want to slash & burn SKT to make a quick buck, and those who have a medium term view, to reap the ongoing harvest that a t/o buyer would be viewing.
Looks like the former are winning the points scoring on here.

steveb
12-08-2020, 04:10 PM
NZ$ starting to weaken on covid news could be another factor if it drops say 10%

Ogg
12-08-2020, 04:14 PM
2 mindsets at work, those who want to slash & burn SKT to make a quick buck, and those who have a medium term view, to reap the ongoing harvest that a t/o buyer would be viewing.
Looks like the former are winning the points scoring on here.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DaringCommonHornedtoad-small.gif

Getty
12-08-2020, 04:16 PM

Will we get a piece tho?

I better not shut my cakehole then...

Quantitative Easing
12-08-2020, 04:17 PM
Too much resistance at $0.14. Ogg go lube it up so we can breakthrough.

Ogg
12-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Too much resistance at $0.14. Ogg go lube it up so we can breakthrough.

There was a 1m seller this afternoon. Scared everyone off. Just need to wait until the 10th.

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 12:34 AM
It occurs to me...

Are we sure the results have been delayed? It’s not like Sky announced a date, retracted it and then announced a new date.

The 21 August date was from a recent newspaper article. But the journalist may have just taken a stab at a date based on when the results were released last year?

Or has someone actually seen something from Sky with the 21 August date?

If they are just releasing the results later than last year then that would not be ‘evidence’ of a takeover.

Thoughts?

nztx
13-08-2020, 12:57 AM
It occurs to me...

Are we sure the results have been delayed? It’s not like Sky announced a date, retracted it and then announced a new date.

The 21 August date was from a recent newspaper article. But the journalist may have just taken a stab at a date based on when the results were released last year?

Or has someone actually seen something from Sky with the 21 August date?

If they are just releasing the results later than last year then that would not be ‘evidence’ of a takeover.

Thoughts?

Good point - the 2019 year's results announcement was released 22 August -

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/339570

the references from announcements I have seen are 10 Sep for 2020 & Annual Report

'Sky will release its results for the year ended 30 June 2020 on Thursday 10 September 2020.

In doing so, Sky is relying on the class waiver from NZX Listing Rule 3.5.1 granted by NZX on 3 April 2020 and the class waiver from certain rules in Chapter 4 of the ASX Listing Rules granted by ASX on 7 May 2020. Sky also expects to release its 2020 annual report on Thursday 10 September 2020 and therefore shall not be relying upon the NZX and ASX class waivers in relation to the same.'

22 Aug 2020 is a Saturday, so reference to 21st this year may just be a Journo pulling dates from out of fresh air & nothing more..

Ogg
13-08-2020, 09:06 AM
I was told by Forsyth Barr that the 21st was the date. Maybe they got it from the news article.

Pushing it to the 10th and using waivers is unusual.

They've given guidance as well, so it's not like they need more time to do the numbers.

When the Opus takeover came, it came on the same day as results.

But hey, me and my conspiracy theories...

Maybe they fired too many people and now there's just one guy doing all the paper work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbPmM6gt_hE

Ferg
13-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Rule 3.5.1 states an issuer must release their result no later than 60 days after year end, which would be Sat 29 Aug - the waiver was granted early April.

[Edit: ignore this: Did they get a waiver and/or reporting extension last year?]

Ogg
13-08-2020, 09:15 AM
It's a covid waiver.

Auckland did go into lockdown.

Plausibly they just asked for more time because of that.

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 09:19 AM
It's a covid waiver.

Auckland did go into lockdown.

Plausibly they just asked for more time because of that.

So does this now mean that nobody is stealing my business from me with a low ball pennies-on-the-dollar offer?!

I can’t keep up.

Ogg
13-08-2020, 09:28 AM
So does this now mean that nobody is stealing my business from me with a low ball pennies-on-the-dollar offer?!

I can’t keep up.

NEP just stole OSB off you.

Sky is getting asset stripped like Mediaworks.

Thankfully, the satellite business has value, like a large empty section in Auckland.

Getty
13-08-2020, 09:40 AM
The ongoing saga some of you guys create has more twists and turns than a Shakespearian play.
Keep up the good work!

Akane
13-08-2020, 10:59 AM
I can sense a hint of disappointment in Ogg's posts....... :)

Quantitative Easing
13-08-2020, 11:06 AM
I was told by Forsyth Barr that the 21st was the date. Maybe they got it from the news article.

Pushing it to the 10th and using waivers is unusual.

They've given guidance as well, so it's not like they need more time to do the numbers.

When the Opus takeover came, it came on the same day as results.

But hey, me and my conspiracy theories...

Maybe they fired too many people and now there's just one guy doing all the paper work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbPmM6gt_hE

Opus (much like Sky) was heavily undervalued at the time. Market cap was like 100m on a company that made 400m in revenue and a dividend yield of over 7% at that stage. Margins weren't that great but it had a lot of potential.

Sky fits in the same boat, perhaps even more undervalued. Opus has become better than Beca after WSP took over and now have a lion share of the big projects in NZ...like CRL, Manawatu Gorge upgrade etc...Opus would be far worse now if WSP didn't buy them out. Sky will become better and more liked by analysts after some big fish takes over it as well. We need big backing and money to take on Spark..

Ogg
13-08-2020, 11:06 AM
I can sense a hint of disappointment in Ogg's posts....... :)

If the takeover doesn't happen by the 10th, I'm gonna organise a coup d'état and roll Martin.

GR8DAY
13-08-2020, 11:14 AM
.....patience dear OGG, patience. I think we're ALL of the consensus it's just a simple matter of WHEN not IF now.

Quantitative Easing
13-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Since the share price is so low it could easily be a hostile takeover like how Suncorp tried to buy out tower few years ago.

Quantitative Easing
13-08-2020, 11:33 AM
If the takeover doesn't happen by the 10th, I'm gonna organise a coup d'état and roll Martin.

We miss you John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWlQhUQl6Hw

Balance
13-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Since the share price is so low it could easily be a hostile takeover like how Suncorp tried to buy out tower few years ago.

Hostile - too hard these days with our regulatory framework.

But perfectly probable that someone will go for 20% first to establish a foothold and blocking stake to start the negotiations.

25c to get first 20%?

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Hostile - too hard these days with our regulatory framework.

But perfectly probable that someone will go for 20% first to establish a foothold and blocking stake to start the negotiations.

25c to get first 20%?

Technically it was vero who tried to takeover tower (I was a tower shareholder and employee at the time).

They stopped short of hostile takeover by grabbing 19.99% of shares to block Fairfax from succeeding with their $1.10 per share offer.

Sure, a similar approach could happen here. Though the Comcom blocked vero in the end - so I wouldn’t recommend this approach for a company like IFT.

Ogg
13-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Infratil AGM today at 2:30

https://www.virtualmeeting.co.nz/agm/ift20/register (https://www.virtualmeeting.co.nz/agm/ift20/register)

["When's the Sky take over happening"] Ctrl+C
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+V

sb9
13-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Infratil AGM today at 2:30

https://www.virtualmeeting.co.nz/agm/ift20/register (https://www.virtualmeeting.co.nz/agm/ift20/register)

["When's the Sky take over happening"] Ctrl+C
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+V

Settle down a bit, its not until next Thu 20th Aug.

Getty
13-08-2020, 12:05 PM
the cakes might be getting a bit stale by then

Ogg
13-08-2020, 12:06 PM
Settle down a bit, its not until next Thu 20th Aug.

O yeah, lol.

["When's the Sky take over happening"] info@infratil.com
Send
Send
Send
Send

Getty
13-08-2020, 12:13 PM
blue Skys smiling at me,
nothing but blue Skys do I see...

Oliver Mander
13-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Where did the rumour of takeover start? Lots of speculation on the thread, but can't see any original source for it...
???
Ogg seems absolutely convinced...

Ogg
13-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Where did the rumour of takeover start? Lots of speculation on the thread, but can't see any original source for it...

Mista started it all. He's desperate for one to happen. Been going around emailing everyone. :p

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Mista started it all. He's desperate for one to happen. Been going around emailing everyone. :p

I do vaguely remember raising the prospect of a takeover when IFT announced their own CR...

But you took the idea and boy did you run with it!! 🤣

Oliver Mander
13-08-2020, 12:46 PM

Right, so there's no foundation in reality then (whether its a good idea or not)?

Ogg
13-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Right, so there's no foundation in reality then (whether its a good idea or not)?

What were you expecting... Martin coming on here and telling everyone a takeover is happening?

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 12:54 PM
what were you expecting... Martin coming on here and telling everyone a takeover is happening?

lollll 🤣🤣🤣

Akane
13-08-2020, 01:18 PM
What were you expecting... Martin coming on here and telling everyone a takeover is happening?

Maybe mistaTea is Martin in disguise all along.

Ogg
13-08-2020, 01:26 PM

Maybe he's Handley

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif

Getty
13-08-2020, 01:30 PM
oh no, not another Matt Hill/NTL debacle on the horizon!!

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 01:44 PM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/dEUsYfhfgxCxnYQxaTeY2kFUe9ZChRvIBeKEUJoe2dMurgZ8BL tHR_5Hw9aGV17JU3Q90rF9MgSOEOQnMQ5-1p0QvSlEnAFHsOtikn8R=w400-h225

Getty
13-08-2020, 02:10 PM
You boys could still be on/in the money, as IFT have yet to issue a statement;-
Contrary to media speculation, Infratil confirms it is not involved in any takeover talks with Sky Television.

Clints
13-08-2020, 02:11 PM
oh no, not another Matt Hill/NTL debacle on the horizon!!

BOOM [mic drop]

Getty
13-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Did you mean a Gold boom?

Ogg
13-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Seriously thinking about dropping another $100k on this at the end of the month, then dumping it all on the 10th if a takeover doesn't happen. Do I need my head checked?

Hopefully the stock drops back down to 12.

RISK ON!

Thoughts?

Oliver Mander
13-08-2020, 02:55 PM

Of course not! But there is sometimes other corroborating evidence that people spot or become aware of...meetings occurring, execs in the same location, sudden interest by analysts and so on. Just because you want it to be true doesn't mean it will happen...

Ogg
13-08-2020, 02:58 PM
Of course not! But there is sometimes other corroborating evidence that people spot or become aware of...meetings occurring, execs in the same location, sudden interest by analysts and so on. Just because you want it to be true doesn't mean it will happen...

Yeah, like I'm going to bug Marko's car or something.

Ogg
13-08-2020, 03:01 PM

BLUE HORSESHOE LOVES SKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8PLrkEXWnc

ba9
13-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Hopefully Covid spreads and the stock drops back down to 12.

RISK ON!

Thoughts?

Ogg. Huge respect to your thoughts. I have to be honest, i am still with SKT, after reading your posts.

But, hoping for COVID to spread for our personal gain. C'mon.

Dlownz
13-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Seriously thinking about dropping another $100k on this at the end of the month, then dumping it all on the 10th if a takeover doesn't happen. Do I need my head checked?

Hopefully Covid spreads and the stock drops back down to 12.

RISK ON!

Thoughts?

Sky's the biggest discount out there at the mo. Hasn't recovered from the covid drop and the guidence looks good. They are moving into a good position now. Compatability better buy than Blt

Ogg
13-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Ogg. Huge respect to your thoughts. I have to be honest, i am still with SKT, after reading your posts.

lol. Yeah, probably crossed the line there.

Been posting here all day. No work on at the moment.

Super bored with nothing to do.

Entrep
13-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Great memes in the Sky thread today. Bullish

Akane
13-08-2020, 03:14 PM

But, hoping for COVID to spread for our personal gain. C'mon.

Unfortunately my feeling is that COVID will spread regardless, it's just a matter of when.

Quantitative Easing
13-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Sharesies is making fun of Sky again. At least we got their attention now. Been seeing sky posts daily on sharesies page and we are starting to convert some of them.

Someone really needs to take a hit by pushing the idea of a takeover on sharesies page. GO GO GO...

Quantitative Easing
13-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Modandm.
This company has the largest moat of any company in NZ.ie it is darn near impossible to
set up against them.
My sky has been a winner.In our house we now have another decoder so another $25 per month.
Young people grow up with it and when they set up home so they get sky installed.
Seems the churm rate is very low.

How much 10 years makes a difference. Maybe in another 10 sky wouldn't be here? Either won't exist at all or as part of a different parent company? I still stand by the fact that sky is too important to let die. So that's why takeover is likely. Can't keep limping forever without big backing.

Dlownz
13-08-2020, 03:24 PM
Covid will have a effect on Sky with the sports side of things. But as they've show the churn rate is very low. Most people are still happy with it. Neon will get a whole different demographic.

Ogg
13-08-2020, 03:28 PM
Covid will have a effect on Sky with the sports side of things. But as they've show the churn rate is very low. Most people are still happy with it. Neon will get a whole different demographic.

They can't do new installs. That's the only disadvantage.

airedale
13-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Hopefully the stock drops back down to 12.

RISK ON!

Thoughts?
Watching with interest to see if your head rolls.:) I am in as deep as I want at this stage just walking the tightrope between greed and fear.

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 03:46 PM
They can't do new installs. That's the only disadvantage.

The sooner they release Sky Go as a stand-alone offering the better in my view.

Problem solved.

Dlownz
13-08-2020, 03:53 PM
The sooner they release Sky Go as a stand-alone offering the better in my view.

Problem solved.
They have though haven't they.....
300 a year for it. Which is the same as spark sport

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 04:30 PM
They have though haven't they.....
300 a year for it. Which is the same as spark sport

No that is Sky Sport NOW.

Sky Go is the companion app for satellite subs. Allows you to stream traditional sky.

They recently added functionality to allow users to Chromecast to the big screen (previously you could only watch on laptop, smartphone, tablet...).

So the next step is to offer it as a stand-alone product (not just a ‘freebie’ for satellite subs).

Ogg
13-08-2020, 04:35 PM
No that is Sky Sport NOW.

Sky Go is the companion app for satellite subs. Allows you to stream traditional sky.

They recently added functionality to allow users to Chromecast to the big screen (previously you could only watch on laptop, smartphone, tablet...).

So the next step is to offer it as a stand-alone product (not just a ‘freebie’ for satellite subs).

When you call 0800 759 759 it redirects to Mista's house :D

mistaTea
13-08-2020, 04:37 PM
When you call 0800 759 759 it redirects to Mista's house :D

Martin should offer me a contract to be the Product Owner for Sky Go. I would whip that product into shape in no time.

But apparently begging for a job at the last AGM and humping his leg while crying was not a smart move...

Ogg
13-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Martin should offer me a contract to be the Product Owner for Sky Go. I would whip that product into shape in no time.

But apparently begging for a job at the last AGM and humping his leg while crying was not a smart move...

Just change your last name to Handley...

winner69
13-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Just change your last name to Handley...

Now come on ....Derek has done a stupendous job as a Director ..... probably without his insights, knowledge and connections Sky might have gone broke my now.

Good guy that Derek

nztx
13-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Now come on ....Derek has done a stupendous job as a Director ..... probably without his insights, knowledge and connections Sky might have gone broke my now.

Good guy that Derek

Thought you were the Chief Analyst at some unregistered (Figment of Imagination) Research Co, before adopting the new acclaim of being a Moggy ? ;)

How often does one see an outfit like SKY apparently fully cashed up & crashed up awaiting the Punters arriving in their droves to apply their analysis on the job ?

Akane
14-08-2020, 09:09 AM

The new neighbour opposite of us (We're in East Auckland) moved in, the first thing they do is have a SKY van show up to install their Sky.
Still strong demand IMO :t_up:

Jay
14-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Agree Akane, not everyone can have/has got decent fibre and/or plan or pay for unlimited data and a lot of people I think still want something all in one place/device
Had a survey yesterday about sky, looks like they are looking at a new Box that will do satellite and streaming as well as recording up to 200 hours plus able to have your netflix, disney+ etc subscriptions/accounts added to it as well.
All in one place - seems a good idea for about a one off price of $200 (for the box not the subs as well).
Not sure what would happen n my case as I paid for the existing box outright when I got it - and it has been replaced due to a fault awhile ago - has worked out a lot cheaper than paying a monthly sub for it for the last x years.

tqtq
14-08-2020, 10:26 AM
The new neighbour opposite of us (We're in East Auckland) moved in, the first thing they do is have a SKY van show up to install their Sky.

Agree Akane, not everyone can have/has got decent fibre and/or plan or pay for unlimited data and a lot of people I think still want something all in one place/device
Had a survey yesterday about sky, looks like they are looking at a new Box that will do satellite and streaming as well as recording up to 200 hours plus able to have your netflix, disney+ etc subscriptions/accounts added to it as well.
All in one place - seems a good idea for about a one off price of $200 (for the box not the subs as well).
Not sure what would happen n my case as I paid for the existing box outright when I got it - and it has been replaced due to a fault awhile ago - has worked out a lot cheaper than paying a monthly sub for it for the last x years.

Great to hear this feedback from customers and users – thanks for your posts @jay @Akane

Ogg
14-08-2020, 10:41 AM

bu bu but muh netflix

clip
14-08-2020, 10:50 AM

That's assuming they are a new customer, not an existing customer moving house and part of the new house process is sky turns up and connects them - just like how getting power/gas/internet connected are the other first things you do when moving house. You just book all your services to be connected on the day that you move in

Tony Two Gloves
14-08-2020, 12:04 PM
That's assuming they are a new customer, not an existing customer moving house and part of the new house process is sky turns up and connects them - just like how getting power/gas/internet connected are the other first things you do when moving house. You just book all your services to be connected on the day that you move in

And the SP drops back on the news that this may not be a new customer after all :)

Ogg
14-08-2020, 12:12 PM
And the SP drops back on the news that this may not be a new customer after all :)

Quick, let's put a Magpie on the van so we can follow it around and see where it goes...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1851162219/magpie-the-smartest-truly-global-gps-tracker-aroun

mistaTea
14-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Fair comment...though I don't think anyone should be expecting too much in the way of brand new satellite customers. Definitely a dying distribution model.

However it is a good anecdotal tale of an example of Sky's ability to retain existing customers.

Long term we want digital offerings to fully replace satellite...but satellite is the most profitable part of our business...so we want the churn to be low so we can have an evolution to streaming as opposed to a revolution.

mistaTea
14-08-2020, 12:22 PM

Can you share more about this survey? It was from Sky NZ?

It is interesting if they are now looking at a new set top box (STB)... Before John Fellet left he had kicked off a major project to adopt Cisco's Infinite Video Platform. This STB would allow users to stream all sky content via broadband or satellite. It would be smart enough to switch between the broadband and satellite 'seamlessly' based on what would give the best quality picture (i.e. satellite default but if there was heaps of rain fade flick over to broadband kind of thing).

It would also have a very modern Netflix-style UI and allow you to access apps like Vodafone TV does. The Infinite Video Platform could even go a step further than Vodafone TV by allowing you to surface/aggregate all of the content from all of your subs into one User Interface. In other words, surface all of your Sky On Demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc content in one place without the need to launch each individual app and see what is on...

But soon after Martin came on board he scrapped that project as he believed the future was streaming apps - we didn't need the ongoing CAPEX of acquiring and maintaining a new set top box. STB's that are hooked up to satellite also typically need a tech to install...more cost...
I thought the case to move away from STB's was compelling...even though STB's do still have some advantages over streaming apps.

Anyway, if there has been an about face and Sky are now looking at something similar again I would want to know why. From memory, when Infinite Video was cancelled mid-project we wrote off $30 or $40M. And that wasn't imaginary money like a Goodwill write off...that was actual cold hard cash down the toilet.

RGR367
14-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Got a new neighbour too moving in this morning and 3 vans arrived just before the mover's truck. And one of them is a SKY van. Take it as another info.

Jay
14-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Mr Tea - I just got this survey as a sky subscriber and opted to joined a survey panel - skynation - may win one of 5 $100 sky credit! 2nd survey I have done

Asking what features would you like/useful/if it contained this that or the other - tick the boxes and at cost of about $200 or $19.99 for 12 months and which option would you choose. Mentioned that Apple TV costs $x and vodafone costs $Y - all more than the proposed offering -not knowing what was on the table under John F don't know how this compares, but as I said possible to add your nextflix app etc and I took it that there is one UI to find all content - could be wrong

Discl - I hold a few as in not many shares just to see what happens - only bought recently @ around 13 cents, if/when the sp increase due to to whatever I will probably wish I had 5 times more

Ogg
14-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Guy's, stop it with all this good news. I'm trying to buy more!

Quantitative Easing
14-08-2020, 02:00 PM
The whole market down, Sky up.

Last chance to get on the train at mid 13s for those that missed out at mid 12s...

Getty
14-08-2020, 02:21 PM
Mr Tea - I just got this survey as a sky subscriber and opted to joined a survey panel - skynation - may win one of 5 $100 sky credit! 2nd survey I have done

Asking what features would you like/useful/if it contained this that or the other - tick the boxes and at cost of about $200 or $19.99 for 12 months and which option would you choose. Mentioned that Apple TV costs $x and vodafone costs $Y - all more than the proposed offering -not knowing what was on the table under John F don't know how this compares, but as I said possible to add your nextflix app etc and I took it that there is one UI to find all content - could be wrong

Discl - I hold a few as in not many shares just to see what happens - only bought recently @ around 13 cents, if/when the sp increase due to to whatever I will probably wish I had 5 times more

Remember 1 important question, when dealing with marketing surveys.
Which company spends THEIR money, working out a way to charge YOU LESS?
If you say XYZ feature is marvelous, guess which feature starts costing more in a few months ?
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble on that subject.

Akane
14-08-2020, 03:08 PM
The whole market down, Sky up.

Last chance to get on the train at mid 13s for those that missed out at mid 12s...

But Sharesies gang says Sky TV is closing it's doors soon......... I don't know who to trust anymore :(

Quantitative Easing
14-08-2020, 03:54 PM
But Sharesies gang says Sky TV is closing it's doors soon......... I don't know who to trust anymore :(

Well they are not completely wrong. Sky wont exist as what we know it as today. It will (most probably) be part of a larger global media conglomerate. Sky (as a standalone company with no big backing) wont be here in 10 years. I believe sky is too valuable to let die. Understand the risk, odds are in our favour. DYOR. We could easily make 300%.

Getty
14-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Refer to my post #5981 on the NTL thread.

winner69
16-08-2020, 09:17 AM
Champions League been pretty exciting this weekend

Sideshow Bob
16-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Champions League been pretty exciting this weekend

No Super Rugby to watch this arvo. Oh well, just have to watch re-runs of the Highlanders tipping over the Canes..... :p

nztx
16-08-2020, 10:28 PM

Is someone paying them off -- so someone else can fire a low ball T/o bid at the job ? ;)

Sideshow Bob
16-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Is someone paying them off -- so someone else can fire a low ball T/o bid at the job ? ;)

Don't worry - same lot were buying Blackwell at 9c.....go figure.

nztx
16-08-2020, 10:32 PM
Don't worry - same lot were buying Blackwell at 9c.....go figure.

Didn't they migrate to CAV after that ?

Sideshow Bob
17-08-2020, 08:34 AM
Didn't they migrate to CAV after that ?

Some did, but not sure what the Share Du Jour is at the moment.....

MarineSalvage
17-08-2020, 08:37 AM
MEE or Cannasouth it looks like... two shares I will never own
Some did, but not sure what the Share Du Jour is at the moment.....

Getty
17-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Cant be too smug.
Sky's graph redefines sky diving..

Dr JPG

Laxatives, this weeks pro motion.

GR8DAY
17-08-2020, 10:26 AM
.........every 1c gain in SP equal to about 3 or 4 yrs interest in the bank. Go figure....... that's 1c.!! Ive got a truck load now ......still believing for the take-over offer. ( but not dependent upon it)

Balance
17-08-2020, 10:47 AM
.........every 1c gain in SP equal to about 3 or 4 yrs interest in the bank. Go figure....... that's 1c.!! Ive got a truck load now ......still believing for the take-over offer. ( but not dependent upon it)

Steady on - every 1c fall* means you need to leave your money in the bank for 3 or 4 years to get back to base!

* highly unlikely in my view from current level but still a possibility.

Baa_Baa
17-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Any thoughts on how this might affect Sky/Neon (https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/122364446/disneys-new-streaming-service-star-is-proof-that-tv-platforms-need-original-content-to-survive)?

Quantitative Easing
17-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Any thoughts on how this might affect Sky/Neon (https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/122364446/disneys-new-streaming-service-star-is-proof-that-tv-platforms-need-original-content-to-survive)?

That is the risk for sky as an aggregator. I think it's a short/medium term disruption but that might be enough to kill the NEON product altogether. I am not sure whether going direct to the customer will be the best thing for these companies in the long term. Who would want to pay for five subscriptions. I think people will stop paying after 3 or so subscriptions..I think HBO etc... should have it's own platform as well as licencing it out to distribute amongst aggregators like Sky. I don't see why both can't coexist.

Ogg
17-08-2020, 11:30 AM

I've given up trying to defend Sky.

Just sell the stock!

Happy to buy your holdings.

MarineSalvage
17-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Fair enough
Already a lot of previous comments on original content and vertical integration
I've given up trying to defend Sky.

Just sell the stock!

Happy to buy your holdings.

Dlownz
17-08-2020, 04:48 PM
After receiving the guidence last week there hasn't been as much movement. Will we see much change when the results out. How's everyone predictions going.

airedale
17-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Only 100,000 dollars have gone through on the NZX,not enough volume to influence the trend. Becalmed!

Balance
17-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Only 100,000 dollars have gone through on the NZX,not enough volume to influence the trend. Becalmed!

Days of big turnover are behind - the underwriters and new investors seem to have sold their 278m shares to lock in their windfall gains. From loose hands to firm hands?

Stock will tread water until results or corporate activity imo.

GR8DAY
17-08-2020, 07:04 PM
Steady on - every 1c fall* means you need to leave your money in the bank for 3 or 4 years to get back to base!

* highly unlikely in my view from current level but still a possibility.

.....GLASS HALF FULL please BALANCE. (very true but lets just drive this with some positivity m8). 20-25c before I would remotely consider selling my holding. GLTAH

Ogg
17-08-2020, 07:44 PM
Remember folks, don't forget to sell your shares before the 10th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SbXiMHjT0Y

dyor

tqtq
18-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Quiet day today. Presume everyone's waiting for the update from Sky. In the meantime, has anyone heard any news related to the Mediaworks sale?

Ogg
18-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Quiet day today. Presume everyone's waiting for the update from Sky. In the meantime, has anyone heard any news related to the Mediaworks sale?

Mediaworks sale? You mean the asset stripping. Brooksfield has long finished with that.

Waiting in line at 13.7 for more. Not many trades today expect for some UBS bots.

Quantitative Easing
18-08-2020, 02:37 PM
According to reddit Neon has improved a lot since it has merged with lightbox. Surprisingly a lot of people seem to prefer amazon prime over netflix.

tqtq
18-08-2020, 02:40 PM
Mediaworks sale? You mean the asset stripping. Brooksfield has long finished with that.

Waiting in line at 13.7 for more. Not many trades today expect for some UBS bots.

I’m just keen to find out whether it’s going to be Discovery buying MW, however I suspect you’re right, and that nothing will happen. It was rumoured that Sky was waiting inline but I doubt that’s the case too. Not much happening on the ASX either. A few bot crosses pushing the price down slightly, most likely coming from UBS or Credit Suisse or whichever broker put the ****ty target prices on Sky (to suit their own purposes).

tqtq
18-08-2020, 02:42 PM
According to reddit Neon has improved a lot since it has merged with lightbox. Surprisingly a lot of people seem to prefer amazon prime over netflix.

Was a good move to buy Lightbox. Sounds like an awesome platform + all of the customers that were bundled into the deal.

Quantitative Easing
18-08-2020, 02:50 PM
Was a good move to buy Lightbox. Sounds like an awesome platform + all of the customers that were bundled into the deal.

Yes reddit knows best and is ultimately the best insight into the market as it is the platform with the most market participants.

Ogg
18-08-2020, 02:54 PM
I’m just keen to find out whether it’s going to be Discovery buying MW, however I suspect you’re right, and that nothing will happen. It was rumoured that Sky was waiting inline but I doubt that’s the case too. Not much happening on the ASX either. A few bot crosses pushing the price down slightly, most likely coming from UBS or Credit Suisse or whichever broker put the ****ty target prices on Sky (to suit their own purposes).

From what I can gather (from public information) and from what I see likely happening...

Mediaworks is being sold to Discovery as part of a condition that Infratil/Brooksfield get Sky.

Mediaworks got asset striped first (by the owner Brooksfield) and then is getting offered to Discovery to appease regulators in a larger deal with Sky.

One buyer can't have everything, otherwise the ComCom would block the transaction.

You read it here first.

tqtq
18-08-2020, 02:59 PM
Yes reddit knows best and is ultimately the best insight into the market as it is the platform with the most market participants.

It’s honest and reliable feedback. If there’s anything they don’t like they’d let you know.

tqtq
18-08-2020, 03:18 PM
From what I can gather (from public information) and from what I see likely happening...

Mediaworks is being sold to Discovery as part of a condition that Infratil/Brooksfield get Sky.

Mediaworks got asset striped first (by the owner Brooksfield) and then is getting offered to Discovery to appease regulators in a larger deal with Sky.

One buyer can't have everything, otherwise the ComCom would block the transaction.

You read it here first.

I’m pretty sure there are a lot of behind the scenes deals like that going on.

I reckon that if Sky’s going to get taken over it’s more likely going to be from a Comcast or similar player that can bring some scale, content, adtech and US$ that might benefit from Sky NZ’s rugby deals and the next to nothing US$ price.

Whatever the case, the SP will get a nice boost.

Quantitative Easing
18-08-2020, 03:23 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/warriors/122481219/warriors-forced-by-nrl-to-end-naming-rights-deal-with-vodafone

I also find the timing of this very strange. It could be nothing and most probably is...or it could be the start of the great media-telco consolidation in Australasia. Needs to happen sooner than later if they want to survive.

Ogg
18-08-2020, 03:24 PM
Further to my post above, you might ask... "why doesn't Discovery just buy Sky instead of Mediaworks"?

The answer: Sky is worth more to Infratil/Brooksfield because of their existing relationship with Sky and also because Sky is entering the broadband market. THerefore Infratil/Brooksfield will always likely outbid Discovery for Sky. Rather than Infratil/Brooksfield and Discovery fighting over Sky, and pushing up the price, Discovery gets Mediaworks from Infratil/Brooksfield for a discounted price, as part of Discovery agreeing to stay out of Sky.