PDA

View Full Version : SKT Sky Network Television Limited.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Ogg
23-08-2020, 11:34 PM
What about just afterwards when he said "At the margin you've got thing like media, content strategies, sports... I think we are attacking at a different direction to Spark."

I really hope you're right but surely you can see a scenario where Infratil just isn't interested in buying Sky? Just like seemingly everyone else?

I think that's the point though, that they're not currently attacking Spark on that "front". The question is do they want to follow Spark in that direction.

He said that they're not doing it from the "outside" at least, meaning that they have the capabilities / technology to delivery it from the "inside".

When he talks about "re-positioning / re-platforming" is he only talking about the core products or is he also referring to the margin products as well?

He also goes onto say that reasonable people may different in the opinion of this. Suggesting that having margin products has merit and that there is currently disagreement as to the future direction of Vodafone.

It's entirely possible that they are not interested in Sky. However, if Discovery, or 2Degrees merge with Sky, and then Sky also goes into Broadband/Mobile, what would this mean for their current investment in Vodafone TV and also the possibility of them moving into margin products in the future. There's a defense play here as well.

I believe the wider issue is that the other 50% owner of Vodafone is Brooksfield and they are currently holding Mediaworks. If they do decided to just give this away, then perhaps it's likely that Vodafone is only following a "core" strategy and not interested in margin products such as media/TV/sports etc. If the do decided to follow Spark and go into margin products, then now would be the time to restructure that while they're still holding Mediaworks .

What I'm saying, is perhaps the key to everything is the upcoming Mediaworks announcement, which the CEO said would be revealed within the coming weeks - and that was like a month ago! If the Mediaworks announcement doesn't come by the 9th of September, then I have a strong suspicion it will happen on the the 10th! ;)

tqtq
24-08-2020, 07:01 AM
I've been doing some more in depth analysis of the Infratil shareholder meeting last Thursday. I've gone over the video/audio multiple times to try and break down exactly what Marko was saying when answering questions about Vodafone.

https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/uckjzp66

There are two key moments:

Moment 1: Time stamp @ 50:30 - 52:14

Moment 2: Time stamp @ 54:10 - 55:03

In the first "moment", which I've posted about before, Marko is basically being asked about the direction of Vodafone, in particular their overall core strategy. The question is rather vague but it is essentially asking if Vodafone will become an innovative telecommunications company like Spark, or just be a low cost mobile platform provider.

Marko response to this question is also rather vague. He confirms that Vodafone is following a similar strategy to Spark but that the way in which they achieve this strategy may be different. He uses the keyword "re-platforming" to suggest how Vodafone can achieve this goal and differentiate themselves from Spark. However, the way in which he defines "re-platforming" is vague, as he just uses generic statements like "investing in infrastructure" and "simpler operations". The only information a listener can deduce from this is:

A) Vodafone will be more like Spark
B) Vodafone is "re-platforming" to be more like Spark

The second "moment" is actually more interesting, as the question is more direct and less vague. It simply asks if there will be more job losses at Vodafone.
In answering this question Marko doesn't use the phrase "re platforming" as he did before, but he changes the phrase slightly to "re positioning". I believe there is a difference between these two phrases as the first suggest that it's about physical changes, i.e. things like "infrastructure" and "operations", these also match the things he said in the "first moment". The second phrase suggest it's more about intangible things, like the overall business goals or objectives.

Marko then goes on to say that this "re positioning" will create a "different shape business" and that this may result in job distribution. However, it's important to note that he does say that he knows of no such plans "today" that will result in further job losses.

If you combined the "first moment" and the "second moment" together what you can conclude is that there is significant change happening at Vodafone. The question is, does this change involve Sky in any way. Perhaps there's no direct way to know for sure but what you can ask is, if Vodafone is following Spark, then who is Spark following? And, why do these companies want to change?

I believe that these "strategies" that Spark and Vodafone are following, are simply strategies that other global telecommunications companies have been following. That is that to say that telecommunications companies are becoming more like information technologies companies. This follows on a from the key theme of the first moment, which is that Vodafone must be innovative to be successful - it can't simply just be a low cost mobile provider. One way Vodafone can achieve this (i.e. not being just a mobile provider) is to do takeovers or mergers, which is what other global telecommunications companies have been doing recently. This is why I believe that Vodafone's strategy does involve Sky, as it helps them achieve their overall goal of being an innovative data company and following the path of Spark.

I’m pretty sure that replatforming would mean that Vofafone are moving to a different cloud service for 5g to ensure new monetisation / data / ai / machine learning opportunities aren’t missed and offered to customers as margin products.

Spark offer 5G in NZ therefore ‘replatforming to be more like Spark’ in this context would make sense.

mistaTea
24-08-2020, 07:29 AM
I’m pretty sure that replatforming would mean that Vofafone are moving to a different cloud service for 5g to ensure new monetisation / data / ai / machine learning opportunities aren’t missed and offered to customers as margin products.

Spark offer 5G in NZ therefore ‘replatforming to be more like Spark’ in this context would make sense.

Hey now! Don't you go drawing logical conclusions!

It is more fun to watch the IFT AGM over and over again, pausing at key 'moments' to find further 'evidence' that supports our already-decided end position: TAKEOVER!

:D:t_up::eek2:

Ogg
24-08-2020, 09:11 AM

So what were Vodafone doing in 2016 then, when they decided to merge with Sky?... "un-platforming".

AI and 5G is all good but you need to actually deliver an end product in some form. Unless they are just going to build the infrastructure only and become more like Chorus.

Take a look a the home page of both Spark and Vodafone right now. They're both offering the Galaxy Note 20. The home pages look like clones of each other. My point is, they're either following Spark or not. Both companies always have been heading into the same direction. If Spark are going to use margin products like NZ Cricket, Netflix, PPV, Spotify etc, then if follows that Vodafone should do the same. Vodafone does have Vodafone TV, if they bought Sky, they could then have exclusive content on that platform, rather than just be another Android TV device.

It comes down to two things:
A) Will the ComCom allow it
B) What's the price.

If they answer is Yes, and $500m. Surely Infratil and Brooksfield will pull the trigger.

Entrep
24-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Yeah pretty **** article. Sky has been broadcasting school rugby for years with no issues. Whys it a issue now.... Yes they are getting into other sports but I think it shows that there hasn't been a issue so what are the people complaining trying to create.

How so? Social media is cancer. I want my kids to play sports for the fun of it. We don't need every match being broadcast. The system now is deliberately crude. Kids have enough issues to worry about with every single thing they do on field being filmed, scrutinised and potentially made fun of on the cancer that is social media. The Govt dropped the ball, Waddell is chasing the $$$ and Sky is going along with it.

mistaTea
24-08-2020, 09:36 AM
then if follows that Vodafone should do the same. Vodafone does have Vodafone TV, if they bought Sky, they could then have exclusive content on that platform, rather than just be another Android TV device.

And this is the part that will make them nervous about the comcom. My view is that IFT would have to guarantee that they would continue to offer other telcos and utilities wholesale pricing to get it over the line. And if that is the case, why bother? They can just maintain their current arrangement with Sky and be no worse off.

In fact, last year Jason Paris was talking about how he would love to get Spark Sport on the VTV platform. He can't right now because the deal with Sky forbids it... but this will change at the next round of negotiation.
The point is, Vodafone don't seem to want to 'own' any content...they just want their VTV platform to be the platform of choice because it is tailored to the NZ market and has everything Kiwis want in one place. Adding Spark Sport to the platform will be a smart move for them then, especially as Spark win more competitions in the future.

Now then, Sky do not have this issue when it comes to them entering Broadband. Why? Because they do currently offer wholesale rates for all of their content. Spark, 2Degrees etc have not created a platform like Vodafone (and therefore have not taken advantage of a wholesale deal for Sky channel bundles) but it doesn't matter - the offer would be there if they wanted it - Martin Stewart has talked a lot about the need for more 'partnerships' (wholesale agreements).
NEON is offered wholesale to Spark...and they have had deals in the past with Trustpower (owned by Vocus) for NEON and Sky Sport NOW.

As long as Sky remains open to genuine wholesale agreements with other providers, I cannot see the comcom finding any grounds to block them from becoming a telco.

And that there, my friend, is what we call the Dulux Difference.

Quantitative Easing
24-08-2020, 10:07 AM
How so? Social media is cancer. I want my kids to play sports for the fun of it. We don't need every match being broadcast. The system now is deliberately crude. Kids have enough issues to worry about with every single thing they do on field being filmed, scrutinised and potentially made fun of on the cancer that is social media. The Govt dropped the ball, Waddell is chasing the $$$ and Sky is going along with it.

I mean how much are school sport really worth anyway...Also i don't think Sky will broadcast every game. I think it will mainly be like AGS vs Kings, Polson Banner or finals of school cricket. School sport has enabled people like RTS and Ngani Laumape to be discovered early. You could argue that without being on TV they may not have gotten NRL contracts straight out of school.

Ogg
24-08-2020, 10:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_yxUHDZTq0

mistaTea
24-08-2020, 10:20 AM
I mean how much are school sport really worth anyway...Also i don't think Sky will broadcast every game. I think it will mainly be like AGS vs Kings, Polson Banner or finals of school cricket. School sport has enabled people like RTS and Ngani Laumape to be discovered early. You could argue that without being on TV they may not have gotten NRL contracts straight out of school.

People will have a wide range of opinions on this I am sure.

Any suggestion that Sky TV have done this deal to exploit children for a quick buck is just ridiculous though. The sums of money involved will be tiny, not enough to induce bad practice from Sky.

They will have entered into this deal in good faith as part of their commitment to growing grass roots sport.

If it turns out that this is a flop with a lot of parents who are genuinely concerned (and not just a very small but very loud minority) then the deal will not be extended.

There are solid arguments as to why this deal is a great thing (visibility, opportunity etc) and also genuine concerns.

That article was pretty piss poor though - as it was heavily biased to the "Sky and Waddell are vultures just trying to exploit children for money". Absolute rubbish.

Ogg
24-08-2020, 10:20 AM
And this is the part that will make them nervous about the comcom. My view is that IFT would have to guarantee that they would continue to offer other telcos and utilities wholesale pricing to get it over the line. And if that is the case, why bother? They can just maintain their current arrangement with Sky and be no worse off.

In fact, last year Jason Paris was talking about how he would love to get Spark Sport on the VTV platform. He can't right now because the deal with Sky forbids it... but this will change at the next round of negotiation.
The point is, Vodafone don't seem to want to 'own' any content...they just want their VTV platform to be the platform of choice because it is tailored to the NZ market and has everything Kiwis want in one place. Adding Spark Sport to the platform will be a smart move for them then, especially as Spark win more competitions in the future.

Now then, Sky do not have this issue when it comes to them entering Broadband. Why? Because they do currently offer wholesale rates for all of their content. Spark, 2Degrees etc have not created a platform like Vodafone (and therefore have not taken advantage of a wholesale deal for Sky channel bundles) but it doesn't matter - the offer would be there if they wanted it - Martin Stewart has talked a lot about the need for more 'partnerships' (wholesale agreements).
NEON is offered wholesale to Spark...and they have had deals in the past with Trustpower (owned by Vocus) for NEON and Sky Sport NOW.

As long as Sky remains open to genuine wholesale agreements with other providers, I cannot see the comcom finding any grounds to block them from becoming a telco.

And that there, my friend, is what we call the Dulux Difference.

Having Spark Sport on Vodafone TV is like having Android installed on an Apple device.

Content is King.

You'll start to see Spark get more aggressive with their Spark Sport. It's all all out content war.

The ComCom is irrelevant now when it comes to NZ media, especially after covid has hit. NZ media is almost dead. The real threat is from overseas. Just look at the Google anit trust suit in Australia.

Not The Chosen One
24-08-2020, 10:40 AM
What's worse - kids being pressured with tv's in their faces or their own parents putting pressure on them to succeed and don't want to be seen as a failure?

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S07E23/362177.jpg?b64lines=IE9oLCB3b24ndCBzb21lYm9keSBwbG Vhc2UKIHRoaW5rIG9mIHRoZSBjaGlsZHJlbj8g

Ogg
24-08-2020, 11:36 AM
And this is the part that will make them nervous about the comcom. My view is that IFT would have to guarantee that they would continue to offer other telcos and utilities wholesale pricing to get it over the line.

How do you explain Spark offering a $5 discount for Spark Sport, for customers who are also on a mobile plan with Spark?

Add Spark Sport to an eligible Pay Monthly mobile or broadband plan for $19.99/month until 3 September. From 4 September you’ll pay $24.99/month and get a $5 monthly credit automatically applied to your Spark bill. https://www.spark.co.nz/getmore/spark-sport/

If you wanted to watch the black caps (NZ cricket), and get the $5 discount, your forced to sign up with Spark Mobile.

There will be situations where people are currently on a Vodafone Mobile plan, who will now be canceling that service and signing up with Spark Mobile, so they can get the discount.

Is the ComCom OK with this?.. They must be, as nobody has said anything.

Zaphod
24-08-2020, 11:59 AM
There will be situations where people are currently on a Vodafone Mobile plan, who will now be canceling that service and signing up with Spark Mobile, so they can get the discount.

The CC haven't taken any action over deals such as these, however what they have raised concern about is zero rating traffic for on-net services (e.g. if LightBox traffic was zero rated, which they've viewed as anti-competitive. This is however a moot point these days as more consumers opt for 'unlimited' plans.

Ogg
24-08-2020, 12:23 PM
The CC haven't taken any action over deals such as these, however what they have raised concern about is zero rating traffic for on-net services (e.g. if LightBox traffic was zero rated, which they've viewed as anti-competitive. This is however a moot point these days as more consumers opt for 'unlimited' plans.

If you read this submission from InternetNZ the issue was really about "must have" content.

https://comcom.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0031/76882/Internet-NZ-additional-submission-on-Vodafone-Sky-merger-12-October-2016.pdf

In other words, zero rating traffic is fine, but when it comes to zero rating "must have" content then there's an issue.

The question really is, is NZ Cricket classified as "must have" content?

Another question, is NZ Rugby classified as "must have" content?

If everybody has "must have" content, then by definition isn't this a "perfect market", which is what the ComCom is designed to insure?

mistaTea
24-08-2020, 12:37 PM
How do you explain Spark offering a $5 discount for Spark Sport, for customers who are also on a mobile plan with Spark?

If you wanted to watch the black caps (NZ cricket), and get the $5 discount, your forced to sign up with Spark Mobile.

Maybe one of Spark’s competitors should complain to the Comcom. See how they get on.

All Spark’s recent moves mean is that Spark are unlikely to lead the charge on a future sky merger like they did in 2016.

That doesn’t mean sky and Vodafone will get approval second time round. I think they probably would get approval given it was a 50/50 call last time - and things have changed.

But it is a long and difficult process - and there are no guarantees.

Ogg
24-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Maybe one of Spark’s competitors should complain to the Comcom. See how they get on.

All Spark’s recent moves mean is that Spark are unlikely to lead the charge on a future sky merger like they did in 2016.

That doesn’t mean sky and Vodafone will get approval second time round. I think they probably would get approval given it was a 50/50 call last time - and things have changed.

But it is a long and difficult process - and there are no guarantees.

Guaranteed green light in my opinion.

The issue would center around Trustpower. Would Infratil be willing to divest their 51% holding in a block trade, at say $6, then use that capital to double down in their data business? That's where the growth is, that's how Morrison and Co can get their management fees and bonus.

Re-floating Vodafone and Sky on the NZX is likely to generate more profits than holding Trustpower.

Ogg
24-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Here's one for you Mista...

https://news.sky.com/story/bt-group-board-on-alert-for-15bn-takeover-approaches-12054366

BT on "takeover alert".

They've hired Goldman Sachs to defend a potential bid of up to a 50% premium.

Should we give them a call also ;)

mistaTea
24-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Here's one for you Mista...

https://news.sky.com/story/bt-group-board-on-alert-for-15bn-takeover-approaches-12054366

BT on "takeover alert".

They've hired Goldman Sachs to defend a potential bid of up to a 50% premium.

Should we give them a call also ;)

LOL.

Fortunately for us - the one thing we DON’T have to worry about is a takeover it seems!

On another note...

Some posters have talked about a share buyback instead of a dividend (a move I would absolutely support)...

Though that might not necessarily result in anticipated ‘price action’ of the quoted value.

I’m reading Barbarians at the gate (how the F have I not read this before now?! It’s sooooo good). Ross Johnson tried that to lift the SP of RJR Nabisco. Bought back like $1.2B worth of stock and if did jack sh1t to the SP... why? Because Mr Market still just viewed it as a ‘tobacco stock’ with a grim future.

The same thing could easily happen to a company like Sky with the sentiment to traditional content aggregators being what it is at the moment.

I would still be happy with a buyback - lets me own a larger slice of the business and there is no pesky dividend tax...but the SP may not move much at all.

tqtq
24-08-2020, 02:44 PM
LOL.

Fortunately for us - the one thing we DON’T have to worry about is a takeover it seems!

On another note...

Some posters have talked about a share buyback instead of a dividend (a move I would absolutely support)...

Though that might not necessarily result in anticipated ‘price action’ of the quoted value.

I’m reading Barbarians at the gate (how the F have I not read this before now?! It’s sooooo good). Ross Johnson tried that to lift the SP of RJR Nabisco. Bought back like $1.2B worth of stock and if did jack sh1t to the SP... why? Because Mr Market still just viewed it as a ‘tobacco stock’ with a grim future.

The same thing could easily happen to a company like Sky with the sentiment to traditional content aggregators being what it is at the moment.

I would still be happy with a buyback - let’s me own a larger slice of the business and there is no pesky dividend tax...but the SP may not move much at all.

Barbarians at the gate. Sounds like a good book. I like the title.

I'm just about to start on Bob Iger's book "The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company".

I'm going to read it looking for his insight / take on Sky Europe given they were almost successful in buying it.

Comcast put in a better offer for it but consensus is now they overpaid as ego got in the way.

I'll post anything interesting from the book on sharetrader.

tqtq
24-08-2020, 03:04 PM
So what were Vodafone doing in 2016 then, when they decided to merge with Sky?... "un-platforming".

AI and 5G is all good but you need to actually deliver an end product in some form. Unless they are just going to build the infrastructure only and become more like Chorus.

Take a look a the home page of both Spark and Vodafone right now. They're both offering the Galaxy Note 20. The home pages look like clones of each other. My point is, they're either following Spark or not. Both companies always have been heading into the same direction. If Spark are going to use margin products like NZ Cricket, Netflix, PPV, Spotify etc, then if follows that Vodafone should do the same. Vodafone does have Vodafone TV, if they bought Sky, they could then have exclusive content on that platform, rather than just be another Android TV device.

It comes down to two things:
A) Will the ComCom allow it
B) What's the price.

If they answer is Yes, and $500m. Surely Infratil and Brooksfield will pull the trigger.

I think Sky would be a nice fit for IFT given that IFT seems like a holding conglomerate that allows business to run independently with their own management and culture. Also, makes sense for a telco to want content. They also have a large common holder in Brookfields and Vanguard was it? So I'm not discounting the merit of your theory.

Although, even at Sky's current SP (and I don't see IFT overpaying), and assuming everyone thought it was a good move and good use of their cash, where would they get the cash from to execute? They don't have enough cash laying around from their CR to do it. They'd be pretty brave to go into debt during a pandemic. There's no indication of a share swap. How else could they do this? I'm genuinely asking.

winner69
24-08-2020, 03:06 PM
Barbarians at the Gate seen by many as a negotiation handbook ...to me it was a story of real corporate greed.

ThaiJohn
24-08-2020, 03:35 PM
I'm in @.14 , have to put my NTL coin somewhere and I believe SKT is a runner. Just so long as M.Hill is not involved.

dompf
24-08-2020, 04:02 PM
I'm in @.14 , have to put my NTL coin somewhere and I believe SKT is a runner. Just so long as M.Hill is not involved.

hehe sucker for punishment; good luck to you my sir, welcome to the SKT entertainment club over here on sharetrader.

Quantitative Easing
24-08-2020, 04:15 PM

Sawade karb. Welcome to Sky. What would you like today sir?

Tony Two Gloves
24-08-2020, 04:22 PM
A take over offer would be nice :)

I'm into this one to and tempted to buy more, trouble is I keep reading this on the bottom of Winner's posts and its making me pause..... - “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

Getty
24-08-2020, 04:42 PM

He want Happy Ending!

ThaiJohn
24-08-2020, 05:26 PM
He want Happy Ending!

Why break a habit. I'll have two thanks.

mistaTea
24-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Why break a habit. I'll have two thanks.

So far as Sky investment goes, I think it is best that you and Getty make a plan to get together soon so that you can both really...nut it out.

Balance
24-08-2020, 05:35 PM
He want Happy Ending!

What’s a happy ending?

Takeover?

tqtq
24-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Almost as much buying today on the ASX (1.5m) as the NZX. That's a good sign. I think we're going to see more price rises prior to Sky's Annual Report. Get yer orders in quick!

Getty
24-08-2020, 07:24 PM
So far as Sky investment goes, I think it is best that you and Getty make a plan to get together soon so that you can both really...nut it out.

I hope you dont mean we should get a room?

Getty
24-08-2020, 07:25 PM
What’s a happy ending?

Takeover?

You could consider it a takeover, you finish up in better hands.
TJ got off to a rough start tho...

Zaphod
24-08-2020, 07:29 PM
If you read this submission from InternetNZ the issue was really about "must have" content.

https://comcom.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0031/76882/Internet-NZ-additional-submission-on-Vodafone-Sky-merger-12-October-2016.pdf

In other words, zero rating traffic is fine, but when it comes to zero rating "must have" content then there's an issue.

The question really is, is NZ Cricket classified as "must have" content?

Another question, is NZ Rugby classified as "must have" content?

If everybody has "must have" content, then by definition isn't this a "perfect market", which is what the ComCom is designed to insure?

In practice it's easier to simply ban zero rating of traffic for the on-net services. Trying to accurately define "must have content" would be impossible. The only winners would be the lawyers making the arguments.

But as, mentioned, it's all a moot point in an unlimited data cap environment.

Problem solved I guess!

Ogg
24-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Although, even at Sky's current SP (and I don't see IFT overpaying), and assuming everyone thought it was a good move and good use of their cash, where would they get the cash from to execute? They don't have enough cash laying around from their CR to do it. They'd be pretty brave to go into debt during a pandemic. There's no indication of a share swap. How else could they do this? I'm genuinely asking.

You need to lurk more.

Infratil are cashed up. They've just done a $300m placement and have received $260m from Tilt Renewables. They have about $600m in liquidity for growth opportunities.

Brooksfield are a large Canadian Hedge fund. They've just sold Healthscope this month to NZ Super for $500m.

https://www.minterellison.co.nz/our-view/new-zealand-pathology-business-to-be-acquired-by-nz-super-and-ontario-teachers-pension-plan

There's $$CASH$$ everywhere!

Funny how Brooksfiled have used Minter Ellison again. Same crowd who have done Mediaworks, Vodafone, and Lightbox recently. ;)

tqtq
24-08-2020, 09:24 PM
You need to lurk more.

Infratil are cashed up. They've just done a $300m placement and have received $260m from Tilt Renewables. They have about $600m in liquidity for growth opportunities.

Brooksfield are a large Canadian Hedge fund. They've just sold Healthscope this month to NZ Super for $500m.

https://www.minterellison.co.nz/our-view/new-zealand-pathology-business-to-be-acquired-by-nz-super-and-ontario-teachers-pension-plan

There's $$CASH$$ everywhere!

Funny how Brooksfiled have used Minter Ellison again. Same crowd who have done Mediaworks, Vodafone, and Lightbox recently. ;)

That's good news about IFT cash reserves. Lets hope Wellington Airport doesn't chew up all of that CR cash so they can make a decent offer on Sky. Brookfield could certainly find some money down the back of the couch to go halvesies with IFT.

Ogg
24-08-2020, 09:43 PM
Brookfield could certainly find some money down the back of the couch to go halvesies with IFT.

That's the plan.

The back up plan is a deal with Discovery if Brooksfield dick them around with Mediaworks.

If that all goes to custard then it's off to Comcast to try and merge with Sky UK and run the whole thing from overseas.

If by then, it's still in the dumps, it's off to Aussie to try and scrape together a last minute merger with one of the larger media companies over there.

Absolute bottom of the barrel is a buy back scheme. Forget dividends, who wants to pay tax.

If the stock still wont move then we'll pull the plug and get a Faafoi funded bail out.

Getty
24-08-2020, 09:55 PM
this is hilarious!!
I thought I was pretty resourceful, but I could learn a bit off you blokes.
As for a F F FF, I mean a Faafoi funded bailout, well yes, whats good for the Sky is good for the planet!

Getty
24-08-2020, 10:05 PM
where's an OSB when you need one?
Someone should be filming this circus!

mistaTea
25-08-2020, 06:48 AM
this is hilarious!!
I thought I was pretty resourceful, but I could learn a bit off you blokes.
As for a F F FF, I mean a Faafoi funded bailout, well yes, whats good for the Sky is good for the planet!

To help improve his story, it sure sounds like you would absolutely love to lend him a hand...

Akane
25-08-2020, 08:44 AM
where's an OSB when you need one?
Someone should be filming this circus!

Just give our buddies at NEP a call, they'll sort you out :)

Ogg
25-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Just give our buddies at NEP a call, they'll sort you out :)

Some what interesting article about that sale of OSB to NEP from the lawyers point of view:

https://www.thelawyermag.com/nz/news/general/wynn-williams-helps-broadcasting-assets-acquisition-deal-take-off/231464

Lowe praised the parties involved in the transaction on “the pragmatic approach they took to negotiating a complex set of agreements in challenging circumstances.”

It's obvious it was sold for $1 and that there were loads of strings attached.

10 year agreement is good but what happens after that?

I'm positive it was offloaded to clear the way for a merger.

Getty
25-08-2020, 10:44 AM
To help improve his story, it sure sounds like you would absolutely love to lend him a hand...

He will come in handy...

Akane
25-08-2020, 10:49 AM
I'm positive it was offloaded to clear the way for a merger.

Possibly. Whilst we're on the topic of merger (as if we have deviated from it in the first place :D), let's focus on VF.

Is VF still competitive? With Spark growing bigger and bigger, and of course their spin offs (Skinny / bigpipe), what does VF want? Instead of their VTV box, how are they staying in front of the curve? Will they convince themselves that they need a merger with SKT to gain more market share?

Broadband / Mobile is a pretty tight space, instead of asking what's in it for SKT, let's ask what's in it for VF or them to want a merger in the first place.

Getty
25-08-2020, 10:49 AM
You guys have done it this time!

I'm GETTing so much interactive entertainment off here, I've decided to cancel my SKY sub.

Hollywood and Bollywood cant match the scriptwriters on here.

As word gets out, and more do the same, poor old SKY will implode!

Ogg
25-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Possibly. Whilst we're on the topic of merger (as if we have deviated from it in the first place :D), let's focus on VF.

Is VF still competitive? With Spark growing bigger and bigger, and of course their spin offs (Skinny / bigpipe), what does VF want? Instead of their VTV box, how are they staying in front of the curve? Will they convince themselves that they need a merger with SKT to gain more market share?

Broadband / Mobile is a pretty tight space, instead of asking what's in it for SKT, let's ask what's in it for VF or them to want a merger in the first place.

You mean what's in it for Morrison & Co?

I've talked about this before. They're phasing out the Vodafone brand as they don't own the intellectual property. They're going to rebrand everything as Sky. Then they'll flicking them both off on the NZX in 2025. They also need the revenue from Sky to boost the top line figure.

Ogg
25-08-2020, 11:07 AM
You guys have done it this time!

I'm GETTing so much interactive entertainment off here, I've decided to cancel my SKY sub.

Hollywood and Bollywood cant match the scriptwriters on here.

As word gets out, and more do the same, poor old SKY will implode!

We're gust getting starting here...When the takeover does come and a bidding war eventuates there will be 6+ months of entertainment here!

I'm already preparing posts and content.

Getty
25-08-2020, 11:15 AM
I think the bidding war will be to buy this thread. and broadcast it internationally.

Eat ya heart out Kardashians!!

Balance
25-08-2020, 11:19 AM
We're gust getting starting here...When the takeover does come and a bidding war eventuates there will be 6+ months of entertainment here!

There’s a couple of very good lines from the movie ‘Casablanca’.

‘Here’s looking at you, kid’

and

‘Round up the usual suspects’.

Sky & Vodafone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEWaqUVac3M

Getty
25-08-2020, 11:55 AM

We're gust getting started, you must mean theres plenty of wind left.
I love your devotion to the task in hand...

Ogg
25-08-2020, 12:01 PM
There’s a couple of very good lines from the movie ‘Casablanca’.

‘Here’s looking at you, kid’

and

‘Round up the usual suspects’.

Sky & Vodafone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEWaqUVac3M

Hopefully it doesn't end like The Killing.

ComCom = the dog @ 2:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3dbXEBjOA

mistaTea
25-08-2020, 12:52 PM
I love your devotion to the task in hand...

The task of predicting takeovers is definitely getting a good... thrashing as of late.

Getty
25-08-2020, 12:59 PM
Yes, it seems there is stiff competition

mistaTea
25-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Yes, it seems there is stiff competition

The ongoing merger analysis certainly seems to be a handful.

Getty
25-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Doesnt look like they will be coming to a conclusion anytime soon.

mistaTea
25-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Doesnt look like they will be coming to a conclusion anytime soon.

Probably not, but in the meantime I think they will continue to 'edge' towards a satisfactory conclusion.

Getty
25-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Ogg will egg them on, to be the first one to shell out

tqtq
25-08-2020, 01:20 PM
That guy who wants to unload his stock on the asx is back. He's got two sell orders in at A$ 17.5c comprised of: 4,390,000 + 1,279,780. It's annoying as he's dropped his price too. See below

$0.13
Okay

$0.135
Okay

$0.14
Okay

$0.145
Okay

$0.15
Okay

$0.155
Okay

$0.16
Okay

$0.165
Okay

$0.17
Okay

$0.175
You total b*stard

$0.18
Okay

$0.185
Okay

$0.19
Okay

$0.195
Okay

$0.20
Okay

$0.30
Okay

$0.50

mistaTea
25-08-2020, 01:23 PM
It's obvious it was sold for $1 and that there were loads of strings attached.

That certainly isn't obvious to me.

But if you are right - and market conditions have deteriorated so much with new competition in the outside broadcasting space that our asset is now only worth $1 then they definitely needed to get rid of it and move on.

Hell, maybe it is so worthless that Sky paid NEP to take it off our hands!

Getty
25-08-2020, 01:24 PM
I like the cut of the jib of the bloke at $0.50

mistaTea
25-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Ogg will egg them on, to be the first one to shell out

Yes, by egging them on he will be sure of a beautiful Money Shot into his bank account.

Getty
25-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Speaking of banks, we had a local girl who got pregnant while working at the Sperm Bank.
She got fired, for embezzlement!

Zaphod
25-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Speaking of banks, we had a local girl who got pregnant while working at the Sperm Bank.
She got fired, for embezzlement!

Oh dear god lol. Shouldn't this be a Monday joke?

Getty
25-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Her investment had a 9 month maturity.

GR8DAY
25-08-2020, 02:54 PM
.....well aint this just the place for funnies today. Bit like the SP. (actually it's no joke, just effing ridiculous IMHO)

Getty
25-08-2020, 03:03 PM
the silly girl
she wasn't practising SAFE sex!

Ogg
25-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Her investment had a 9 month maturity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AB9zPfXqQQ

Getty
25-08-2020, 03:09 PM
The blokes with the printer went batty

Getty
25-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Speaking of banking, I may share a story on here sometime involving an old colleague, Dr Geiringer.

Dr JPG

Some Doctors make you well.
Others make you sick.

Quantitative Easing
25-08-2020, 04:20 PM
This thread is crazy. We had 500,000 views last week and this week it is over 550,000 now. A whopping 10% growth in only week and a half. Don't think we had that many views in all of 2019. If the SKY share price kept up with viewership growth of this thread, then we would all be worshipping our maharaja Mr T.

Getty
25-08-2020, 04:29 PM
We offer our services of SPIN to any company or political party that needs us.

Cadalac123
25-08-2020, 04:29 PM
This thread is crazy. We had 500,000 views last week and this week it is over 550,000 now. A whopping 10% growth in only week and a half. Don't think we had that many views in all of 2019. If the SKY share price kept up with viewership growth of this thread, then we would all be worshipping our maharaja Mr T.

Does anyone actually take this forum overly seriously though? I really hope people don't make investing decisions based on the posts on sharetrader - if so I feel bad for them. Probably the worst thing you can do and polar opposite of DYOR.

I swear half the people on this forum troll

Ogg
25-08-2020, 04:30 PM
We had 500,000 views last week and this week it is over 550,000 now

Gotta Pump Those Numbers Up, Those Are Rookie Numbers in this racket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSn1g-6h1OQ

mistaTea
25-08-2020, 04:35 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12359422

Will be interesting to see how much of a hiding our advertising revenues took due to Covid. They have been on the decline for some time now anyway, and Covid will have bitten hard.

I remember during the first lockdown there was a lot more of Sky advertising their other bundles and channels...they had airtime to do so after a number of ads were pulled.

Quantitative Easing
25-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Does anyone actually take this forum overly seriously though? I really hope people don't make investing decisions based on the posts on sharetrader - if so I feel bad for them. Probably the worst thing you can do and polar opposite of DYOR.

I think this thread has a diverse range of views and opinions. Some are bullish on the stock and others are bearish. That is a healthy balance to have. Comparatively speaking, hotcopper is all hype and pump and sharesies is all doom and gloom for SKT. As a result, i think it would be foolish to not take this thread seriously. But as always DYOR and make up your own mind.

Quantitative Easing
25-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Gotta Pump Those Numbers Up, Those Are Rookie Numbers in this racket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSn1g-6h1OQ

Men are in their most rational state of mind state straight after jerking off. Takes all the emotion out of decision making.

Ogg
25-08-2020, 04:49 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12359422

Will be interesting to see how much of a hiding our advertising revenues took due to Covid. They have been on the decline for some time now anyway, and Covid will have bitten hard.

I remember during the first lockdown there was a lot more of Sky advertising their other bundles and channels...they had airtime to do so after a number of ads were pulled.

NZME up 40% today. Can't be all bad.

Getty
25-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Ok, that thread #4322 leads me into Dr Geiringer.

Back in the early 80's he ran a talkback show, on Radio Windy, in Wellington, on matters medical, and other taboo subjects.
Under the cover of anonymity, many rang in for a somewhat discrete, but not private consultation.

One chap I knew, who shall remain nameless, but not blameless, rang in to reveal he um, er, liked playing with himself.

The good Doctor, who was renowned for his honesty and foreign accent, boomed over the radio waves,

My fwend, if you vont to have a vank, you have a vank!!

Remembering that this was the 80's, & NZ is not as socially evolved as it is now, the resultant furore was that 6 cars had Liberace style rear end collisions on the motorway as drivers lost control , laughing so much, 20 road signs and 3 power poles were demolished, and numerous stray cats were run over!

Dr JPG.

Putting the sin into medicine.

tqtq
25-08-2020, 06:45 PM
NZME up 40% today. Can't be all bad.

Wow. Sky is a better digital subscription business with ad revenue and it’s being valued at half of what NZME is. I can’t believe Sky is so disliked (undervalued) by comparison.

Ogg
25-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Wow. Sky is a better digital subscription business with ad revenue and it’s being valued at half of what NZME is. I can’t believe Sky is so disliked (undervalued) by comparison.

They're writing about themselves....Muh dividends.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12359502

Another paywall article...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUB-wjXUREE

tqtq
25-08-2020, 07:36 PM
They're writing about themselves....Muh dividends.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12359502

Another paywall article...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUB-wjXUREE

They're giving punters what they want which is dividends.
Also goes to show that even a so called 'legacy business' like newspapers can survive and be relevant in the digital age, defy skeptics and move their share price up.
It not what it once was as things change but it's still in business turning a profit.

Akane
26-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Does anyone actually take this forum overly seriously though?

Yeap, and here I am, with bags of SKT :D

But the entertainment provided by this thread is worth the thousands and thousands of dollars that I've "lost" so far, no complaints 10/10 SKT would hold again :D

https://i.imgur.com/JgYJvEA_d.webp

Not The Chosen One
26-08-2020, 10:02 AM

Got to take it for what it is and appreciate thoughts of the hardcore posters here - gives me a laugh but there's been a lot of repetitiveness in the comments for a while now.

Quantitative Easing
26-08-2020, 12:29 PM
There are far better companies to invest than Sky TV. Companies like Afterpay, A2, Zip, FPH have yielded me far greater gains than Sky ever will. My only regret is fully selling and partially selling those stocks when they became a multibagger. But you can't deny that Sky is undervalued at the moment. Look at NZME yesterday, absolute Dog but barked like a pitbull yesterday. I guess we have to be open minded and not emotional when it comes to decision making.

Heimand
26-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Could someone please tell, how much was the current dividend?

Getty
26-08-2020, 01:39 PM
Yes, its evident the dividend was deviant.

Are you related to Dr Geiringer?

mistaTea
26-08-2020, 02:04 PM
Could someone please tell, how much was the current devident?

My reaction when someone asks about Sky TV paying a dividend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg1t_nGaDLs

Ogg
26-08-2020, 02:13 PM
See this page for future dividends.

https://www.nzx.com/instruments/IFT/dividends (https://www.nzx.com/instruments/IFT/dividends)

Getty
26-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Could someone please tell, how much was the current devident?

I think you should meet up with OGG at a cafe, and order Heimand Oggs together.

Dr JPG.

Thankyou for your Merci.

Getty
26-08-2020, 02:20 PM

https://www.nzx.com/instruments/IFT/dividends (https://www.nzx.com/instruments/IFT/dividends)

Lmao, you cheeky sod!!

Heimand
26-08-2020, 02:29 PM

IFT dividend 🤣 I am looking fot the take over as well. I sold CBD to pay for capital rise! 😔

Heimand
26-08-2020, 02:32 PM
Are you related to Dr Geiringer?

Not related 🙃

Getty
26-08-2020, 02:34 PM
IFT dividend �� I am looking fot the take over as well. I sold CBD to pay for capital rise! ��

wot the fots going on here?

Getty
26-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Not related ��

You must be related to Aaron Spelling?

tqtq
26-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Being an SKT shareholder is only for the brave at the moment given current content owner conditions:

Nine Owned Stan Pays ‘Eye Watering’ Price For Content Leftovers

https://www.channelnews.com.au/nine-owned-stan-pays-eye-watering-price-for-content-leftovers/

tqtq
27-08-2020, 10:39 AM
For those interested Nine (Aus) Annual report is out this morning. They own Stan (streaming service). Here are the relevant bits to Stan to read in context for Sky (or Neon more specifically):

• GROWTH IN ACTIVE SUBSCRIBERS TO 2.2M CURRENTLY
• STRONG USER ENGAGEMENT ~+20%1
• REVENUE GROWTH +54% COSTS UP 19%
• EBITDA (AND CASH) IMPROVEMENT ~$50M

• Acceleration of subscriber growth through second half, driven by strong programming line-up and boosted by impact of COVID-19
• Broadening of long-term content supply with increased commitment to Stan originals/co-productions, as well as completion of major output deal with NBCU
• Strong growth in total streams (>50%) and user engagement

Would be worth noting that Stan do make some of their own content as 'Stan Originals'

For more reading see: https://www.asx.com.au/asx/share-price-research/company/NEC

mistaTea
27-08-2020, 11:16 AM
For those interested Nine (Aus) Annual report is out this morning. They own Stan (streaming service). Here are the relevant bits to Stan to read in context for Sky (or Neon more specifically):

• GROWTH IN ACTIVE SUBSCRIBERS TO 2.2M CURRENTLY
• STRONG USER ENGAGEMENT ~+20%1
• REVENUE GROWTH +54% COSTS UP 19%
• EBITDA (AND CASH) IMPROVEMENT ~$50M

• Acceleration of subscriber growth through second half, driven by strong programming line-up and boosted by impact of COVID-19
• Broadening of long-term content supply with increased commitment to Stan originals/co-productions, as well as completion of major output deal with NBCU
• Strong growth in total streams (>50%) and user engagement

Would be worth noting that Stan do make some of their own content as 'Stan Originals'

For more reading see: https://www.asx.com.au/asx/share-price-research/company/NEC

Thanks for sharing this info. Very interesting.

We are two weeks away from our own update - will be very interesting to see the progress. We know our streaming services will have done well - but how good did they do?

We feel that satellite churn will have reduced, but by how much?

Many questions, not long to wait.

tqtq
27-08-2020, 12:29 PM
Thanks for sharing this info. Very interesting.

We are two weeks away from our own update - will be very interesting to see the progress. We know our streaming services will have done well - but how good did they do?

We feel that satellite churn will have reduced, but by how much?

Many questions, not long to wait.

At present, Stan represents about 11% of NEC revenue on a share price of around A$1.70 (market cap of around A$3bn). It's their first year to make a profit, and Stan is forecast to grow to 30% by 2024 so it's playing a big important role in the org. Stan has roughly 5x the amount of subscribers Neon has. There's a lot more competition in Aus for eyeballs I'd say than NZ. But that should provide a rough indication of Neon's value / potential value in the future.

Can't wait to see Sky's annual report in a couple of weeks.

tqtq
27-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Where's Ogg? Hope he didn't get banned again! Otherwise we won't know what's happening with the takeover.

Hello123
27-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Where's Ogg? Hope he didn't get banned again! Otherwise we won't know what's happening with the takeover.

Hes busy DDosing the NZX and commenting on it in the other thread haha!

stoploss
27-08-2020, 05:33 PM

He'd better stop ,how is anybody ever going to T/O SKY when the exchange isn't open .......

tqtq
27-08-2020, 05:36 PM

Yes, very suspicious timing. Do they have a blog or bb? I wonder if someone posting lots of comments could do that?

clown
27-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Is this something new?
https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/blob:https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/59879c17-8f83-4fed-a400-0d93f6424f41

clown
27-08-2020, 08:39 PM
Is this something new?
https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/blob:https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/0824bd6e-b9e9-46a4-9e0e-a3dfcb92eb2b

Ogg
27-08-2020, 08:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA3TxTVk48c

Still here bro!

NZX will be closed for the next 2 weeks.

No need to post here until results on the 10th.

Joh13
27-08-2020, 10:12 PM
Theory... SKT delayed the results announcement as to not increase the SP significantly due to it being a positive result so that it makes whoever is taking over not have to re negotiate there take-over price for the sake of a quick deal going through? Or wishful thinking... Normally a delayed results announcement is a bearish signal.

tqtq
27-08-2020, 10:20 PM
Still here bro!

Chur cuz! Awesome clip! That's why we need you and your ideas, on sharetrader.

It's just not the same without you.

So, outsource the NZX DOS stuff and quit your day job.

I don't think there are too many holders that want to sell before the 10th.

nztx
27-08-2020, 11:12 PM

Is thats blacklisting territory or safe harbour ? ;)

nztx
27-08-2020, 11:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA3TxTVk48c

Still here bro!

Still plenty of time to count the other dividends due & flowing in ;)

Getty
28-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Doctor Geiringer on an outcall to Giovanni's home.

Knock, knock
Whosa there?
Doctor.
Dr Who?
No! DR Geiringer!!
I wisha you Guy ringa the the bloody bell, thatsa what it's there for!
You're not vell?
Mamma mia, leave my wifa Val out of this, I said go to bell!
VOT?? You go to Hades too, you flaming pizza muncher!!!

Dr JPG

Removing Foreign OBJECTS.

mistaTea
28-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Tour de France on Sky Sport this Saturday.

Not sure if it is a big drawcard for Kiwis, but I love it.

stoploss
28-08-2020, 11:37 AM

Yes it is a big drawcard

nztx
28-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Another day & still no takeover bid by OGG .. ;)

winner69
28-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Yes it is a big drawcard

Love it too. ...hope it lasts more than a few days befor the virus wins out

Ogg
28-08-2020, 12:10 PM

The new bikes for 2020.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/f1/28/0ef12875cdd8c1db04baf58aa22b34ee.jpg

Getty
28-08-2020, 12:49 PM
The new bikes for 2020.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/f1/28/0ef12875cdd8c1db04baf58aa22b34ee.jpg

Sponsored by Michael Buble

k14
28-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Lets see of Bennet can pull off a stage win!

stoploss
28-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Lets see of Bennet can pull off a stage win!

maybe him and Jack Bauer ( that was a heartbreak) can do a long range attack ......

Quantitative Easing
28-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Sky thread has been quiet this week on sharetrader, hotcopper and sharesies...DDOS attack has affected sky thread?

mistaTea
28-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Sky thread has been quiet this week on sharetrader, hotcopper and sharesies...DDOS attack has affected sky thread?

The best theory I have read is that Ogg is dumping his SKT shares. The sheer quantity of his holding has brought the NZX to its knees...

Quantitative Easing
28-08-2020, 05:09 PM
The best theory I have read is that Ogg is dumping his SKT shares. The sheer quantity of his holding has brought the NZX to its knees...

Or maybe he is putting together his takeover bid for Sky? At least reading Hotcopper that is what it sounds like...

jimdog31
28-08-2020, 07:35 PM
lol sure, welcome to the millionaires club.

OMC Baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

meanwhile over on HC

“In New Zealand, numerous retail investors are thinking about putting in a takeover bid for Sky.”

Ogg
28-08-2020, 09:28 PM

lol

To be honest, I've just become exhausted posting here. There's nothing left to say anymore. I've laid out my entire case in detail. It's all on record.

If the takeover doesn't come on the 10th. Then I'm just gonna throw in the towel and stop posting here altogether.

When you see frivolous tech stocks bagging over and over again...when you see companies with no earnings sky rocketing...when you see fraud companies go bananas...then you see a stock like Sky, undervalued, unloved, all forgotten, just sitting there doing nothing, it's more than frustrating, it's just down right la la land at this stage.

Planning on making a big speech on the 9th though. Depends what mode I'm in tho.

Getty
29-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Hey, OGG, I hope you weren't the PIED PIPER leading the lemmings over the cliff!!

Dr JPG

Todays FREE advice.
If anyone feels bitter & twisted, try some CONTORTIONS.

Quantitative Easing
29-08-2020, 11:55 AM
lol

To be honest, I've just become exhausted posting here. There's nothing left to say anymore. I've laid out my entire case in detail. It's all on record.

If the takeover doesn't come on the 10th. Then I'm just gonna throw in the towel and stop posting here altogether.

When you see frivolous tech stocks bagging over and over again...when you see companies with no earnings sky rocketing...when you see fraud companies go bananas...then you see a stock like Sky, undervalued, unloved, all forgotten, just sitting there doing nothing, it's more than frustrating, it's just down right la la land at this stage.

Planning on making a big speech on the 9th though. Depends what mode I'm in tho.

I see this going up on back of earning announcement. Look at NZME. Unloved media company but results weren't too bad.

nztx
29-08-2020, 08:21 PM
I see this going up on back of earning announcement. Look at NZME. Unloved media company but results weren't too bad.

Depends on what yardstick of the bad one applies to the job ..

Ogg has been suspiciously quiet -- got to be something brewing ;)

mistaTea
30-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Jojo Rabbit on Sky Movies or NEON @08:30 tonight.

Christ Sky really has got the best line up of content by far right now. They keep adding more great things to watch every month.

Anecdotally, a few people I have spoken to have said they have hardly watched anything on NETFLIX for ‘a while’ now. They don’t know I own SKT shares and volunteered the info (no leading questions from me).

Just not much compelling stuff to watch on there right now.

clown
30-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Jojo Rabbit on Sky Movies or NEON @08:30 tonight.

Christ Sky really has got the best line up of content by far right now. They keep adding more great things to watch every month.

Anecdotally, a few people I have spoken to have said they have hardly watched anything on NETFLIX for ‘a while’ now. They don’t know I own SKT shares and volunteered the info (no leading questions from me).

Just not much compelling stuff to watch on there right now.

NETFLIX in my opinion is currently boring. They just rearrange programs and keep changing the order or cover photos to make it look like there is new stuff. Sometimes I browse for minutes and end up watching nothing or something stupid.

Heard that NEON now has captions on their programs and is apparently a plus for families with babies so they can watch their favourite programs while their baby is a sleep :)

Once I'm done with Friends, I will probably ditch NETFLIX lol...

Disc: Small holding in SKY :)

winner69
30-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Marathon Man on Sky today ...awesome

Can’t get that on Netflix in nz

Getty
30-08-2020, 03:30 PM
Depends on what yardstick of the bad one applies to the job ..

Ogg has been suspiciously quiet -- got to be something brewing ;)

He was so vocal, he's now bOGGed down with larynSKYtis.

He's not buying anymore SKY, because he's a TITUS.

dompf
30-08-2020, 04:54 PM
He was so vocal, he's now bOGGed down with larynSKYtis.

He's not buying anymore SKY, because he's a TITUS.

If this one stays under 14 - I may pick up some more this week. Must be one of the most undervalued, unloved stocks around. The sentiment is the danger but watching other companies have big uptakes against weak results emboldens me to pick up some more.

Remember SKYTV is generating some big cash every month unlike others & the some insiders bought @15c a few months back.
https://simplywall.st/stocks/nz/media/nzx-skt/sky-network-television-shares/news/read-this-before-selling-sky-network-television-limited-nzseskt-shares/

Even without a take over, SKY is going to around for awhile; they are still going to be generating some cash in a market that is in and out of lockdown & they have no debt with the money to pay their bond in full 2022 with a 200m untouched debt facility.

mistaTea
30-08-2020, 05:16 PM
If this one stays under 14 - I may pick up some more this week. Must be one of the most undervalued, unloved stocks around. The sentiment is the danger but watching other companies have big uptakes against weak results emboldens me to pick up some more.

Remember SKYTV is generating some big cash every month unlike others & the some insiders bought @15c a few months back.
https://simplywall.st/stocks/nz/media/nzx-skt/sky-network-television-shares/news/read-this-before-selling-sky-network-television-limited-nzseskt-shares/

Even without a take over, SKY is going to around for awhile; they are still going to be generating some cash in a market that is in and out of lockdown & they have no debt with the money to pay their bond in full 2022 with a 200m untouched debt facility.

Agreed. SKT is still producing underlying ‘owner earnings’ in the region of 3.5-4.5 cents per share, has no debt and the ability to borrow up to $200M for future investments which sounds pretty good to me.

And there is no way the banks would have agreed to lend Sky $200M if they thought thought it was all doom and gloom for the business (like Mr Market does).

dompf
30-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Agreed. SKT is still producing underlying ‘owner earnings’ in the region of 3.5-4.5 cents per share, has no debt and the ability to borrow up to $200M for future investments which sounds pretty good to me.

And there is no way the banks would have agreed to lend Sky $200M if they thought thought it was all doom and gloom for the business (like Mr Market does).

There are key indicators for the results which have already been advised they are meeting expectation, one is the uptake of subscribers with the goal being 1mil by 2021 - streaming numbers will be of particularly interesting for uptake with both their sports platforms & core content and Neon.

SKYTV revenue is set to remain strong despite a smaller satellite base - my opinion is Satellite has a need in NZ market and will do for still some time to come, but the streaming services are more of interest to me for their future. BUT the point remains for companies in todays environment to have strong revenue is a good spot to be in.

Retail isn't that invested in this stock, management have never invested in SKYTV only until recently albeit small. Given sentiment so low from the public, its basically owned by a group of institutional investors; who knows how it will play out. But as i said above I dont think its going anywhere in NZ; @240mil market cap - without takeover surely the only way is off the dance floor and up.

*bond up next year 2021 100m (which they already have in their accounts with cash to pay - made error above that it is 2022, its 2021 March).

mistaTea
30-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Yes satellite will be a big presence for some time to come.

The first step in Sky’s broadband plans is to market to the “hundreds of thousands” of their satellite customers that have fibre available but have not yet connected to it.

In other words, there are currently hundreds of thousands of existing satellite subs that have not fully embraced streaming and are unlikely to ditch their satellite subs any time soon.

That should give investors comfort - even though satellite subs will continue to decrease, Sky will continue to generate healthy revenues from satellite for the foreseeable future while evolving to streaming.

And the new OPTUS deal gives us much more opportunity to manage satellite costs as demand changes (reduces) over time.

dompf
30-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Yes satellite will be a big presence for some time to come.

The first step in Sky’s broadband plans is to market to the “hundreds of thousands” of their satellite customers that have fibre available but have not yet connected to it.

In other words, there are currently hundreds of thousands of existing satellite subs that have not fully embraced streaming and are unlikely to ditch their satellite subs any time soon.

That should give investors comfort - even though satellite subs will continue to decrease, Sky will continue to generate healthy revenues from satellite for the foreseeable future while evolving to streaming.

And the new OPTUS deal gives us much more opportunity to manage satellite costs as demand changes (reduces) over time.

It will be of interest to see what Martin Stewart has done to reduce costs for some of their current contracts as well - I do remember a few months ago an interview where he was advising he is working with them to reduce programming costs around sport that can't be broadcast because of Covid,

I don't find it interesting for the cost saving as the company will make money anyway, i would find it interesting to see how successful he has been doing it.

I guess all will be revealed in 11 days. I look forward to both Ogg and your posts mistaTea. Perhaps once all the shenanigans have happened and are behind us; we all meet up for a celebratory beer or a sad one. Hopefully the former

mistaTea
30-08-2020, 06:12 PM
It will be of interest to see what Martin Stewart has done to reduce costs for some of their current contracts as well - I do remember a few months ago an interview where he was advising he is working with them to reduce programming costs around sport that can't be broadcast because of Covid,

I don't find it interesting for the cost saving as the company will make money anyway, i would find it interesting to see how successful he has been doing it.

I guess all will be revealed in 11 days. I look forward to both Ogg and your posts mistaTea. Perhaps once all the shenanigans have happened and are behind us; we all meet up for a celebratory beer or a sad one. Hopefully the former

My preference is that he did not secure the maximum reduction possible in sporting content costs...

But rather took a smaller reduction than the contracts allow for...but gained an ‘agreement’ that Sky is very much in the drivers seat for the next round of negotiations. Maybe not explicitly, but in this climate relationships are more important than ever - we look after you, and when the time comes we trust you will remember what fantastic partners we are...

Cost control full stop is going to be key moving forward. Martin has been spending a lot of our money on the new streaming platforms (including the purchase of RP), and I support him on that...but now that the foundations have been set down...controlling all costs is going to be a tricky balance. I have met the man, and I do think he is up to the job.

dompf
30-08-2020, 06:19 PM
My preference is that he did not secure the maximum reduction possible in sporting content costs...

But rather took a smaller reduction than the contracts allow for...but gained an ‘agreement’ that Sky is very much in the drivers seat for the next round of negotiations. Maybe not explicitly, but in this climate relationships are more important than ever - we look after you, and when the time comes we trust you will remember what fantastic partners we are...

Cost control full stop is going to be key moving forward. Martin has been spending a lot of our money on the new streaming platforms (including the purchase of RP), and I support him on that...but now that the foundations have been set down...controlling all costs is going to be a tricky balance. I have met the man, and I do think he is up to the job.

You hit the nail on the head a few comments ago, which I didn't realise until now.

They secured their 200m facility without much fanfare on not only an arrangement but a more preferential one for Sky.

At the time I didnt take much gumption on this, but the bank that gave them this facility has already done the work for investors.

GL all, guess im scooping up a few more.

mistaTea
30-08-2020, 07:11 PM
You hit the nail on the head a few comments ago, which I didn't realise until now.

They secured their 200m facility without much fanfare on not only an arrangement but a more preferential one for Sky.

At the time I didnt take much gumption on this, but the bank that gave them this facility has already done the work for investors.

GL all, guess im scooping up a few more.

Yep, the $200M facility is very close to Sky’s current market cap.

No way is the bank lending $200M to a company if they agreed with Mr Market that the business is only worth ~$240M today and probably zilch in the next few years as NETFLIX and Spark Sport conquer all...

dompf
30-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Yep, the $200M facility is very close to Sky’s current market cap.

No way is the bank lending $200M to a company if they agreed with Mr Market that the business is only worth ~$240M today and probably zilch in the next few years as NETFLIX and Spark Sport conquer all...

I doubt it’s one bank it would be a few that did full due diligence. For lines over a certain size the banks get together and banks don’t like losing money.

mistaTea
30-08-2020, 08:26 PM
I doubt it’s one bank it would be a few that did full due diligence. For lines over a certain size the banks get together and banks don’t like losing money.

Yes it is definitely a group of banks.

Sky would have had to present a Business Case to the the syndicate...they would have had to give all of their financials as well as earnings projections (based on various scenarios, including 'worst case').

And the syndicate of banks would have had to believe the projections to be realistic, and that their downside is minimal.

The bankers are not idiots - so yeah, it is a big vote of confidence in Sky. Not that the market has picked up on it.

Dlownz
30-08-2020, 08:57 PM

Sky would have had to present a Business Case to the the syndicate...they would have had to give all of their financials as well as earnings projections (based on various scenarios, including 'worst case').

And the syndicate of banks would have had to believe the projections to be realistic, and that their downside is minimal.

The bankers are not idiots - so yeah, it is a big vote of confidence in Sky. Not that the market has picked up on it.

Shhhh. The sharesies Facebook users might be listening and realise they are missing out on a good thing. Rather than those companies not making anything cough cbd cough bgi
Lol

dompf
30-08-2020, 09:15 PM

Redacted for not interesting

wilba
30-08-2020, 09:37 PM
is it effectively lines of credit they have available? obviously these will have an expiry/maturity date and tie into their banking covenants. just because they have $200m available, doesn't actually mean can borrow this $200m.

a quick look at their interim report and the 200m expires in july 2022, with it dropping down to 150m in july 2021.

thy syndicate providing it is BNZ, CBA and westpac. i cannot see any mention of what the required covenants are other than that the financial ratios are fluid based on their execution of the business plan from back in 2018 when it was granted

dompf
30-08-2020, 09:43 PM
Shhhh. The sharesies Facebook users might be listening and realise they are missing out on a good thing. Rather than those companies not making anything cough cbd cough bgi
Lol

The folks that do their trading through Sharsies are the market as well from my point of view. Sharsies for right or wrong has brought a number of people in to investing in the market that maybe would’ve never done it and that’s a good thing.

I hate seeing people undermine that model that Sharsies have created right or wrong; if they are young or old; they are investing in companies in NZ and I’m all for it. I’m and old bear but I like the newbies coming through no matter what. It’s good for the markets no matter what IMO

dompf
30-08-2020, 09:45 PM
is it effectively lines of credit they have available? obviously these will have an expiry/maturity date and tie into their banking covenants. just because they have $200m available, doesn't actually mean can borrow this $200m.

a quick look at their interim report and the 200m expires in july 2022, with it dropping down to 150m in july 2021.

thy syndicate providing it is BNZ, CBA and westpac. i cannot see any mention of what the required covenants are other than that the financial ratios are fluid based on their execution of the business plan from back in 2018 when it was granted

It isn’t the the covenants of the line it’s the fact they got it; post COVID-19. And that a bunch of banks decided they were worth giving them the line. And yes they can borrow 200m if they want.

Sky renegotiated this and advised in aug 2020 and was advised aug 2020 they are facilitated until 2023

With NO step down in facility per your post see nzx release

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/357800

gains
30-08-2020, 09:59 PM
I appreciate this comment, personally started out investing over a year ago with Sharesies. Was inevitable that I began investing one day but Sharesies really did make it easy for me.

I’m looking forward to this final year report, here’s praying the satellite churn is null or at least replaced with increases in streaming’s services!

dompf
30-08-2020, 10:10 PM
I appreciate this comment, personally started out investing over a year ago with Sharesies. Was inevitable that I began investing one day but Sharesies really did make it easy for me.

I’m looking forward to this final year report, here’s praying the satellite churn is null or at least replaced with increases in streaming’s services!

Yourself and many others if they own 1 share or a million are part of the market, let no one tell you any different; do research and learn off the many posters on these forums that are literally legends. (Not so much me mate)

wilba
31-08-2020, 09:06 AM
It isn’t the the covenants of the line it’s the fact they got it; post COVID-19. And that a bunch of banks decided they were worth giving them the line. And yes they can borrow 200m if they want.

Sky renegotiated this and advised in aug 2020 and was advised aug 2020 they are facilitated until 2023

With NO step down in facility per your post see nzx release

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/357800

thanks for the correction

Quantitative Easing
31-08-2020, 11:40 AM

Good on you mate. I think most people on Sharesies have had a good run as quite a few of them started investing in March/April. So some on sharesies probably treat the market as a casino. The market is a sacred place. No one man/woman is bigger than the market. Reading the almighty market and picking stocks is very hard and i think some of them found out the hard way on Friday with Cannasouth. If you stick to fundamentals you significantly reduce your risk though. Always have a strategy/plan and DYOR.

Getty
01-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Dr Geiringer on an outcall to Longwei's home.

Ting tong.
Who's there?
Doctor.
Dr Who?
NO!, Dr Geiringer!!
Ah, so you Guy ringa me up a big BILL, huh?
'Peking of DUCK, I keep my fees DOWN, and my BILL'S as light as a FEATHER, WADDLE you say?
DUCK off, you FARANG BIRDBRAIN!!

Dr JPG

Seasick Asians are disORIENTated

thebusinessman
01-09-2020, 11:13 AM
I had a little topup today with what is probably the last of my investment money for a while. Agree that things here are undervalued, by how much is hard to tell but I'm seeing >20c as obvious and perhaps the ~30c price targets from a few institutions as realistic in the short term. Of course, no one *really* knows... Also hold OCA so have my pick of the beaten stocks with high hopes!

Ogg
01-09-2020, 11:22 AM
I had a little topup today with what is probably the last of my investment money for a while. Agree that things here are undervalued, by how much is hard to tell but I'm seeing >20c as obvious and perhaps the ~30c price targets from a few institutions as realistic in the short term. Of course, no one *really* knows... Also hold OCA so have my pick of the beaten stocks with high hopes!

Member since 2007. Only 8 posts...

https://media.tenor.com/images/394e9dba5ea2a1dd7f6056564a459ca8/tenor.gif

Gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers in this racket!

thebusinessman
01-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Member since 2007. Only 8 posts...

https://media.tenor.com/images/394e9dba5ea2a1dd7f6056564a459ca8/tenor.gif

Gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers in this racket!

Haha, I'm going to leap to my own defense, I think my previous postcount from all those years ago was nuked somehow, but it still wasn't high. You can clearly see I'm some A-grade lurker.

I'm here to preach the sky-high possibility of certain stocks...

Getty
01-09-2020, 01:25 PM
I think you mean to say you were SKYving.

mistaTea
01-09-2020, 02:03 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12361182

Interesting read, though not surprising.

With YouTube's popularity, our Sky Sport NEXT initiative seems like a good way to test the waters and see if Sky content can benefit from that platform's popularity.

On Demand streaming is the key (as we all know) - so the more Sky can move in this direction the better.

This could potentially be done by adding 'upgrades' to NEON where you can add additional content (Living Channel, food Network, UKTV etc...).

It will also be partially solved when SkyGO is released as a standalone. People can still do linear, but it has a very good On Demand section.

Martin has taken a lot of heat with the moves he has made...and it certainly has put a lot of pressure on the SP...but I really do think he is on the right track with the investments he is making, and the path he has set for the business.

tango
01-09-2020, 04:16 PM
I cancelled all of my paid subscription services except YouTube Premium at $16/month and Spotify premium $15/month

I record some of the free to air to watch later and watch a little live TV and TVNZ on demand but that's about it. The rest of my television watching is YouTube funny UK shows, finance shows, documentaries, and things related to my hobbies. No ads and I can stream on my smart TV. Love love love YouTube

YouTube are now offering channels the opportunity to charge subscriptions for exclusive content, plus the usual pay per view to rent videos and exclusive series.

I wonder if any smaller TV companies or production houses will choose to stream through YouTube and charge a sub. It takes away a lot of hassle.
I know some of the financial advice channels offer membership subs. Maybe some of the television stations and independent movie makers will do the same?

Just a thought... SKT has a lot of competition these days. I am not a big sports watcher but maybe that will also be offered on YouTube. Imagine if YouTube won the rights to the next soccer world cup or olympics (assuming that the world returns to normal and screens these things). Could be a game changer...

tga_trader
01-09-2020, 04:25 PM
I cancelled all of my paid subscription services except YouTube Premium at $16/month and Spotify premium $15/month

Youtube premium includes Youtube Music (which replaces Google Play Music) so you can ditch Spotify as well.

Longhaul
01-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Youtube premium includes Youtube Music (which replaces Google Play Music) so you can ditch Spotify as well.

Well I didn't know about this until recently, but YouTube has offered YouTube TV in the USA for a couple of years.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

tango
01-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Well I didn't know about this until recently, but YouTube has offered YouTube TV in the USA for a couple of years.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Yep! And they also have exclusive content they commission.

Check out YouTube Originals.
This is an example
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjq6DwYksrzz_fsWIpPcf6V7p2RNAneKc

I watched and enjoyed it.

tango
01-09-2020, 04:58 PM
I know. I’ve been meaning to transfer all my playlists to YouTube music but I have several hundred songs in some playlists and I have shared playlists with friends that don’t have YouTube premium so it went in the too hard basket

Edited: I discovered there are apps that do this already! I will be converting this month

mistaTea
01-09-2020, 05:06 PM
Further highlights the need for a good aggregator in the new streaming world.

Will SKT be the aggregator for NZ?

Or will a popular platform like YOUTUBE end up taking over the world as the aggregator? Would cost a lot of money to gain all those rights in all those jurisdictions and the price sure as hell wont be $16/month. But it is one possibility.

My money is (literally) on Sky successfully completing the transformation and maintaining their status as the main aggregator in NZ.

mistaTea
01-09-2020, 05:30 PM
Apple TV also has the concept of ‘channels’.

I have an AppleTV 4K. Great platform, so user friendly - and the ‘channel’ content aggregates with the Apple TV+ content plus their PPV movies.

Will Apple end up being the aggregator of choice? They only have two channels on there for NZ at the moment.

But they could have an HBO channel, and a Showtime channel, and a Hulu channel, and a NETFLIX channel...

Realistic that they might take over the world too and become the aggregator of choice?

Possible, but unlikely.

tango
01-09-2020, 05:40 PM
Maybe YouTube will take over SKT. Boom!!!

mistaTea
01-09-2020, 05:51 PM

They can afford to pay top dollar too!!

Ogg start emailing the execs of YOUTUBE to get a deal done!

Longhaul
01-09-2020, 05:56 PM

There was a fairly interesting article on AFR yesterday about the success of STAN/Nine securing content and growing STAN's subscriber base to over 2m in Australia. Worth a read if you have a subscription, or if you're quick enough to read the article before the paywall loads.

One of the closing sentences was "The next few years will prove critical in the streaming shake-out. Money will continue to become available as customers get out of cable TV, and they are already proving they're willing to take up multiple SVOD services."

STAN seems pretty confident they can execute and deliver on their current strategy.

Quantitative Easing
01-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Looks like this thread got a mention on Sharesies. Haere Mai to all the Sharesies Share Club members. Hope your investment in Sky goes Kapai.

Gregnz
01-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Looks like this thread got a mention on Sharesies. Haere Mai to all the Sharesies Share Club members. Hope your investment in Sky goes Kapai.

Couldn’t help myself. Love to read their comments, they think of themselves as Warren Buffets with their $200 portfolio 😂

Akane
02-09-2020, 08:38 AM
Couldn’t help myself. Love to read their comments, they think of themselves as Warren Buffets with their $200 portfolio 

The best ones are "I'm $50 up! Look at my screenshot! And here's my 2 cents worth if you want to earn some bucks.... By the way, SKT is dead, becuz muh netflicks"
*Screenshot of sharesies.... CBD, BGI, and 1 share of ATM* :D :D :D

Balance
02-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Couldn’t help myself. Love to read their comments, they think of themselves as Warren Buffets with their $200 portfolio 😂

They are having great fun with their $100 and $200 or $1000 investments & punts on the market, and hopefully learning great lessons & building up valuable experiences which will serve them well in the future.

I certainly wished there was a platform like Sharesies when I started investing!

bottomfeeder
02-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Yep my daughter has a $1000 invested through sharesies. She has some good buys and has some good investment philosophies. Will hold her in good stead when I drop of the perch.

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Over 7M shares traded already - very high volume compared to recent trading.

Someone buying up in anticipation of positive results next week?

winner69
02-09-2020, 10:39 AM

...maybe somebody selling in anticipation of a negative result?

Did have to forgo half a cent to quit?

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 10:45 AM
...maybe somebody selling in anticipation of a negative result?

Did have to forgo half a cent to quit?

That is indeed another possibility.

Would just seem weird to get cold feet about 1 week out from the results. Why not have dumped the stock earlier if things seemed doom and gloom? The SP has been hovering around 13.7c - 13.9c for a while now.

flyinglizard
02-09-2020, 11:05 AM
The blood has not down the street, so the dog cannot run so far. The large negative earnings would be the last falling knife to make the deep cut.

Ogg
02-09-2020, 11:07 AM

Mah man Peter going all in before the 10th...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpv6mURveU

flyinglizard
02-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Mah man Peter going all in before the 10th...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpv6mURveU

then they may end up with 1.4m loss, good luck!

youngatheart
02-09-2020, 11:12 AM
then they may end up with 1.4m loss, good luck!

Please explain how you arrived at this figure...

Gregnz
02-09-2020, 11:24 AM
The blood has not down the street, so the dog cannot run so far. The large negative earnings would be the last falling knife to make the deep cut.

What makes you think the earnings are going to be negative? They have already advised their earnings are within guidance?

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 11:46 AM
What makes you think the earnings are going to be negative? They have already advised their earnings are within guidance?

The fact they have confirmed earnings guidance is 'good news' - which also makes me think the big volume today is more likely to be due to a player buying big before the results (as opposed to someone getting cold feet a week out and dumping their shares).

Meh
02-09-2020, 11:59 AM
It is just one person/ thing who represents most of those shares traded.
In a private trade they bought 6,993,849 shares for 13.85 @ opening. Otherwise only 177,507 shares have traded the rest of the morning representing about about $30,000.
Just stoking the fire, is IFT starting to build a takeover launching pad??? ;)

Entrep
02-09-2020, 12:05 PM
The fact they have confirmed earnings guidance is 'good news' - which also makes me think the big volume today is more likely to be due to a player buying big before the results (as opposed to someone getting cold feet a week out and dumping their shares).

In that case the price would rise

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 12:25 PM
In that case the price would rise

Not necessarily. In aggregate there could well be enough willing sellers to soak up the ‘buy volume’ and keep the SP largely unchanged.

But hey, trading volumes and patterns really isn’t my game. I have absolutely no idea.

Akane
02-09-2020, 12:27 PM

I don't know about that, at 7m shares depth in 1 go, but the price did not go above 13.9, doesn't make sense unless it's an off market trade or someone was undercutting the sale at the same time as someone is buying up? Surely at 7m buy in such a short time, it'll knock that resistance right out of the park?

dompf
02-09-2020, 12:42 PM
I don't know about that, at 7m shares depth in 1 go, but the price did not go above 13.9, doesn't make sense unless it's an off market trade or someone was undercutting the sale at the same time as someone is buying up? Surely at 7m buy in such a short time, it'll knock that resistance right out of the park?

It had to be off market there wasn't enough depth on the sell side for that volume especially without moving the price.

It is a lot of shares swapping hands;

jimdog31
02-09-2020, 12:43 PM

If it were management buying, at what point would we get the disclosure?

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 12:49 PM

One thing we don't ever have to worry about with this business is Management buying meaningful amounts of shares with their own money! Ha! :t_down:

I don't think we have to worry about them launching a LBO - a Ross Johnson Martin Stewart is not!

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 12:51 PM
US OPEN is on ESPN2 from today.

Christ, between the Tour de France and the US OPEN I am spoilt for choice.

I have my MacBook Air playing Sky Sport NOW all day while I work on my work laptop :D

Akane
02-09-2020, 12:52 PM

When it's too late :D

Balance
02-09-2020, 01:01 PM
When it's too late :D

Management not allowed to buy until results are announced.

Ogg
02-09-2020, 01:05 PM
Management not allowed to buy until results are announced.

You need to clear your PM inbox Balance.

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 01:07 PM
You need to clear your PM inbox Balance.

So now you are cheating on me with Balance is it?!

Joh13
02-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Could someone want the price to be kept around these levels?

Ogg
02-09-2020, 01:09 PM
So now you are cheating on me with Balance is it?!

lol, I have secrets, yeah.

Ogg
02-09-2020, 01:12 PM
I believe the large 7m trade was UBS clients closing out positions and rebalancing accounts with each other before results next week. Shorts have also recently been dropping. Stock price is likely to bounce. Only question is, will people sell into the rally.

Akane
02-09-2020, 01:30 PM
I believe the large 7m trade was UBS clients closing out positions and rebalancing accounts with each other before results next week. Shorts have also recently been dropping. Stock price is likely to bounce. Only question is, will people sell into the rally.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's Ogg shorting SKT, ahead of the announcement............

Ogg
02-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, it's Ogg shorting SKT, ahead of the announcement............

Who in their right mind would genuinely short the stock here a few days before results with such a clean balance sheet and guidance already met. Even if the unthinkable happened, what would you make, a few pips?

flyinglizard
02-09-2020, 01:59 PM
Institutions can. eg, short $5m at 14c , then buy back at 12c at the same amount of money. Then they have more % in shares.

Akane
02-09-2020, 02:08 PM
Who in their right mind would genuinely short the stock here a few days before results with such a clean balance sheet and guidance already met. Even if the unthinkable happened, what would you make, a few pips?

Well, you did say something about "if there is no takeover......" you'll carry out a few drastic measures, so who knows. I've made my seat belt click and have my popcorn ready, bring on the 10th!

Ogg
02-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Well, you did say something about "if there is no takeover......" you'll carry out a few drastic measures, so who knows. I've made my seat belt click and have my popcorn ready, bring on the 10th!

Yep, will personally see to it if something isn't done and the shareprice remains suppressed at these levels.

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 02:16 PM
Yep, will personally see to it if something isn't done and the shareprice remains suppressed at these levels.

Ohh la la, I am sure Martin Stewart would enjoy a good 'seeing to' by Ogg :D

Ogg
02-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Ohh la la, I am sure Martin Stewart would enjoy a good 'seeing to' by Ogg :D

Gone by Christmas bro.

winner69
02-09-2020, 02:28 PM
jeez -- over 8 mill traded today

Ogg
02-09-2020, 02:30 PM
jeez -- over 8 mill traded today

Marko and Bruce doing some creeping.

Tony Two Gloves
02-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Wall of sellers at 0.14 - who is with me to try and break through so she sails along up to 0.15?? - I am definitely over weight in this one but could do another 100,000 to help out.....

Roll on 10.00AM on the 10th :)

Quantitative Easing
02-09-2020, 03:50 PM
Bounced off the 30MA. Bullish signs ahead if we can get over 0.140.

flyinglizard
02-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Wall of sellers at 0.14 - who is with me to try and break through so she sails along up to 0.15?? - I am definitely over weight in this one but could do another 100,000 to help out.....

I just tested 0.14 with 86000 share, only one email coming back. So I calculated that there is approximate $230k at 0.14. Not much money to roll over 0.14, but if they place more shares on that price... better wait till 10th. sharesies army will burn it out.

Quantitative Easing
02-09-2020, 04:24 PM
One Sharesies Share club member with their $100 trades don't mean much to us. But 1,000,000 sharesies users are a formidable army that can move markets, topple management and cause wild speculation in the markets. It's a powerful army and one should be taken seriously as a collective union. Thank you Sharesies for adding a new dimension to the usually plain predictable NZ market.

mistaTea
02-09-2020, 04:47 PM
One Sharesies Share club member with their $100 trades don't mean much to us. But 1,000,000 sharesies users are a formidable army that can move markets, topple management and cause wild speculation in the markets. It's a powerful army and one should be taken seriously as a collective union. Thank you Sharesies for adding a new dimension to the usually plain predictable NZ market.

Yeah I don’t really get the Sharsies-bashing.

That platform is not for me, but if it is helping a new generation of investors become interested in investing, and allows people with limited means to enter the market then all good by me.

If Sharsies is creating big inefficiencies in the market (which I highly doubt) because most of the users are gamblers/speculators then even better for me - I can expect more bargains.

Xenith
02-09-2020, 04:56 PM
I find sharesies a garbage platform. I used Swissquote when living in Switzerland and that provided in depth on market information for free to all users. Better trading ability with great algorithms. Actually still subscribed to it

Quantitative Easing
02-09-2020, 05:04 PM

That platform is not for me, but if it is helping a new generation of investors become interested in investing, and allows people with limited means to enter the market then all good by me.

If Sharsies is creating big inefficiencies in the market (which I highly doubt) because most of the users are gamblers/speculators then even better for me - I can expect more bargains.

Yes i agree. At least they are creating wealth in their own way. You don't have to live on Paritai Drive to be an 'investor.'

biker
02-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Well, I gave it a nudge this afternoon.

Tony Two Gloves
02-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Well, I gave it a nudge this afternoon.
Thanks - appreciate your efforts! Let's ride this thing home.....

dompf
02-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Thanks - appreciate your efforts! Let's ride this thing home.....

I scooped up hopefully the last shares I’ll pick on this under 14 - huge day volume today for this share highest in last 3ms.

What ‘resistance’ there is, isn’t worth mentioning for this share. It’s not big money given how low the share price has become.

Expecting guidance met and some big unveils from Sky next week.

This share if there is a take up on the back of some good results and future outlook could be a rocket ship, given current prices.

Good luck to all holders

Akane
03-09-2020, 08:12 AM

Not bashing the platform, but I facepalm when a small minority of them become "expert" overnight because their $100 portfolio went up in double digit percentage, and start giving their 2c because they've "made it" in the stock market.

Not to mention the endless SKT bashing without substantial evidence being produced. If they can present hard facts as to why SKT is a flop, all the power to you, but bashing a stock just because "hurrrr it's for boomers only" is not really convincing.

Good entertainment tho.

Balance
03-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Be mindful of the S&P DJI NZX50 index changes to be announced soon - DYOR.

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?11884-S-amp-P-DJI-NZX-September-Review

winner69
03-09-2020, 10:13 AM
6 guru analysts covering SKT -- target price range 14 cents to 38 cents with median 27 cents

That's cool

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/SKY-NETWORK-TELEVISION-LI-6497839/consensus/

Ogg
03-09-2020, 10:39 AM
6 guru analysts covering SKT -- target price range 14 cents to 38 cents with median 27 cents

That's cool

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/SKY-NETWORK-TELEVISION-LI-6497839/consensus/

Those are computer generated.

Ogg
03-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Head of Broadband role filled already. For those of you who actually believed this was a real listing.

https://www.seek.co.nz/job/50416286?type=standout#searchRequestToken=4ca90e1a-8076-4515-a337-72e1061e9e59

Ogg
03-09-2020, 10:57 AM
Me looking for Sky broadband

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJVa0fl01w

Quantitative Easing
03-09-2020, 10:58 AM
Head of Broadband role filled already. For those of you who actually believed this was a real listing.

https://www.seek.co.nz/job/50416286?type=standout#searchRequestToken=4ca90e1a-8076-4515-a337-72e1061e9e59

Another great company leaves the NZX...

Dlownz
04-09-2020, 09:05 AM
https://www.nzx.com/announcements/359261

Good move.
I also like the ambitious growth comment

Quantitative Easing
04-09-2020, 09:11 AM

Good move.

Anyone on here had prior experience or encounters working with Blair Woodbury?

Ogg
04-09-2020, 09:15 AM

Good move.

The new CFO:

https://news.vodafone.co.nz/cfoappointment

Akane
04-09-2020, 09:16 AM

Good move.

Looks positive. I wonder if it's a good time now for a small top up, hoping I can get in at 13.8c~

mistaTea
04-09-2020, 09:17 AM
The new CFO:

https://news.vodafone.co.nz/cfoappointment

LOL.

I think the announcement today is just another nail in the takeover theory coffin.

Why would they bother changing Leadership roles around now if they are just getting absorbed into Vodafone (or any other buyer)?

winner69
04-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Anyone on here had prior experience or encounters working with Blair Woodbury?

It's what he learnt from mistaTea that got him this job

Being a CFO boring as .... much better being a thinking fella -...one of those all care no accountability jobs

Big added expense - hope it pays it way

Quantitative Easing
04-09-2020, 09:21 AM

Being a CFO boring as .... much better being a thinking fella -...one of those all care no accountability jobs

Big added expense - hope it pays it way

Haha nothing quite like a part time consultancy role to line the pockets. You can pretty much just state the obvious in your findings.

Ogg
04-09-2020, 09:27 AM
LOL.

I think the announcement today is just another nail in the takeover theory coffin.

Why would they bother changing Leadership roles around now if they are just getting absorbed into Vodafone (or any other buyer)?

The new advisory role will enable Mr Woodbury to free up time from core CFO work and draw on his strategic skills

Why not find a new CFO then make the announcement? Why rush this now? Seems strange that all of a sudden they need an extra advisor.

Mel
04-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Mr Woodbury has had an opportunity to demonstrate his strategic thinking and I would argue that a good strategic thinker that is able to implement this thinking into financial and commercial outcomes is more valuable than a CFO (appreciating that a good CFO should also possess some strategic ability). In terms of timing, Mr Woodbury had probably expressed a desire to leave and this is their way of retaining his services. I would also like to think that Martin (as opposed to some of the other Exec team) is a good judge of whether Mr Woodbury brings the necessary strategic skills to the table.

Discl: holder of SKT (some at significantly more than the current SP).

mistaTea
04-09-2020, 09:49 AM

OMG. Do you think he kept that diagram I drew for him and showed it to Martin? That probably secured the new job for him?!

The rotter, that job should be mine!

winner69
04-09-2020, 09:53 AM
This Blair fellow was a McKinsey guy once— so has the skills to work out what Martin wants to do/say and then come up with whatever is needed to support the case.

Quantitative Easing
04-09-2020, 10:30 AM
This Blair fellow was a McKinsey guy once— so has the skills to work out what Martin wants to do/say and then come up with whatever is needed to support the case.

Pretty much and then add some jargon like 'synergistic' to give it a bit of oomph. Job done.

mistaTea
04-09-2020, 10:33 AM
Pretty much and then add some jargon like 'synergistic' to give it a bit of oomph. Job done.

He must be exceptional. He was already rewarded with heavily discounted shares during the CR (he never owned a single share prior to that).

Now he will get to do less work on higher pay. So long as he steeples his fingers at the Board Meetings, he should be fine.

winner69
04-09-2020, 10:47 AM

He’ll be getting Martin on the page of holistically cloudifying compelling content

Quantitative Easing
04-09-2020, 10:49 AM
He must be exceptional. He was already rewarded with heavily discounted shares during the CR (he never owned a single share prior to that).

Now he will get to do less work on higher pay. So long as he steeples his fingers at the Board Meetings, he should be fine.

Sounds like a good negotiator to me. Perhaps even better than Trump?

Maybe Blair can be the bad cop during negotiations for sports rights and Martin can be the nice guy giving a lifeline to the sports bodies. Blair can go low and Martin can go high. Yin and Yang.

winner69
04-09-2020, 10:50 AM
...or maybe get Martin to authoritatively evisculate integrated relationships

He’s going to add real value this Blair guy

mistaTea
04-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Sounds like a good negotiator to me. Perhaps even better than Trump?

Maybe Blair can be the bad cop during negotiations for sports rights and Martin can be the nice guy giving a lifeline to the sports bodies. Blair can go low and Martin can go high. Yin and Yang.

I think Tex is the main man with Sporting negotiations!

Ogg
04-09-2020, 10:58 AM
I love how the stock is in the green on a day like today. It just sums up everything about this stock. Bizarro world.

winner69
04-09-2020, 11:01 AM
I think Tex is the main man with Sporting negotiations!

About time Teixeira was moved on ....and thank him for his sterling service ...but goodbye

jimdog31
04-09-2020, 11:01 AM
I love how the stock is in the green on a day like today. It just sums up everything about this stock. Bizarro world.

Who would have thought SKT would be considered a defensive position :t_up:

mistaTea
04-09-2020, 11:22 AM

Maybe the market thinks Sky's finances will be in better shape with Blair changing roles! Ha!

Ogg
04-09-2020, 11:23 AM
Seems odd that the "Head of Broadband" job ad was pulled yesterday. Then the CFO goes into an advisory position without a replacement. Result date moved forward even though company confirmed guidance.

Get the bubbly ready me thinks.

Quantitative Easing
04-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Seems odd that the "Head of Broadband" job ad was pulled yesterday. Then the CFO goes into an advisory position without a replacement. Result date moved forward even though company confirmed guidance.

Get the bubbly ready me thinks.

But surely mate if something was brewing they would have to disclose that information at the earliest it becomes known?

Dlownz
04-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Who's putting the blocks of shares on at. .139. Been going on over the last few days usually around 160000 at a time.

Ogg
04-09-2020, 11:44 AM
Who's putting the blocks of shares on at. .139. Been going on over the last few days usually around 160000 at a time.

Dunno. Watch me buy $10k at 13.9 in about 2mins.

Tony Two Gloves
04-09-2020, 02:36 PM
Just when I think I almost have as many shares as you.......

Ogg
04-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Just when I think I almost have as many shares as you.......

Final phase of the game. No more buy ins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvIZtTCfR2o

Akane
04-09-2020, 02:58 PM

Why bother buying at 13.9c now, when you'll just end up selling them for 13.9c on the 10th? :D

Balance
04-09-2020, 03:00 PM
https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?11884-S-amp-P-DJI-NZX-September-Review&p=841530#post841530

Indexing likely to be announced today.

The two most vulnerable to be exited - NZR & SKT.

DYOR

Ogg
04-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Why bother buying at 13.9c now, when you'll just end up selling them for 13.9c on the 10th? :D

The only thing I'll be doing on the 10th is drinking bubbly or organizing the coup d'état.

Ogg
04-09-2020, 03:04 PM
https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?11884-S-amp-P-DJI-NZX-September-Review&p=841530#post841530

Indexing likely to be announced today.

The two most vulnerable to be exited - NZR & SKT.

DYOR

Was going to reply to your PM about this.

I don't think it will have much effect on the share price. Makes the case for a takeover more likely.