PDA

View Full Version : SKT Sky Network Television Limited.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

tqtq
09-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Maybe the goodwill will actually go up as they will put broadband in there, lol

Hopefully. You'd think: New service + 1,000,000+ existing customers would equate to a decent amount of new revenue with even the smallest amount of marketing.

bottomfeeder
09-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Too much exuberance. This result will be less than spectacular. Next one however should be a different story.
Disc Holding

Ogg
09-09-2020, 02:00 PM
Mostly bots I'd say on the ASX at the current prices as there's lots of small amounts. If you hold 30,000 shares, there's little difference between 0.155 and 0.15

Yeah, I suspect it's mostly scalpers taking advantage of the half point and 1/10th decimal difference on the NZX/ASX. A few Aussie institutional investors in the 12c placement have been offloading regularly as well.

Ogg
09-09-2020, 02:00 PM
Too much exuberance. This result will be less than spectacular. Next one however should be a different story.
Disc Holding

Hoping this will be the last to be honest...

tqtq
09-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I suspect it's mostly scalpers taking advantage of the half point and 1/10th decimal difference on the NZX/ASX. A few Aussie institutional investors in the 12c placement have been offloading regularly as well.

The good thing is the bots are not applying as much downward pressure as their algorithm would show that there's been positive movement over the last few days. These small amounts must trigger bigger buy/sell orders or larger institutional crosses as well.

Well Endowed
09-09-2020, 02:34 PM
https://www.nbr.co.nz/story/sky-tv-shares-spike-amid-social-media-hype

"One NBR reader also tried to place a comment spreading a rumour of a Sky takeover and linking it to the acquisition of MediaWorks by Discovery. NBR deleted the comment before it was published."
"Asked for its view on social media share boosting and rumour spreading, the FMA said it “would be concerned in circumstances where there was evidence that investors were making statements about a stock that they knew were, or ought to have known were, untrue or materially misleading”.

Ogg
09-09-2020, 02:42 PM
"One NBR reader also tried to place a comment spreading a rumour of a Sky takeover and linking it to the acquisition of MediaWorks by Discovery. NBR deleted the comment before it was published."
"Asked for its view on social media share boosting and rumour spreading, the FMA said it “would be concerned in circumstances where there was evidence that investors were making statements about a stock that they knew were, or ought to have known were, untrue or materially misleading”.

O' shhheeetttt

https://media.tenor.com/images/defff292413e5ededdea10b3200a6379/tenor.gif

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Well we know it wasn’t Ogg, he is way too tight to pay for a NBR sub!

Ogg
09-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Well we know it wasn’t Ogg, he is way too tight to pay for a NBR sub!

Takeover will happen anyway, so I'll be fine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUB-wjXUREE

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Lol. Must be a slow news day on NBR.

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 03:14 PM
NBR seemed quiet when CBD were having a run. How come there is no mention of market manipulation for CBD? I would hardly say that Sky shares have spiked. We are still not back to where we were 3 months ago. I wonder what the FMA would say if Afterpay was in the NZX...

Ogg
09-09-2020, 03:22 PM
NBR seemed quiet when CBD were having a run. How come there is no mention of market manipulation for CBD? I would hardly say that Sky shares have spiked. We are still not back to where we were 3 months ago. I wonder what the FMA would say if Afterpay was in the NZX...

Cause apparently this is a dog stock ripe for manipulation. With CBD you can make up as many lies as you want.

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Also from that same article:

"The comment deleted by NBR said: “I’ve also heard (but can’t confirm) that Sky Network Television is about to be acquired. I understand that Oaktree, the same company that sold Mediaworks, also has a large position in Sky, and that an announcement will soon be made.”
There is no evidence that Oaktree has a position in Sky TV."

Ogg
09-09-2020, 03:33 PM

"The comment deleted by NBR said: “I’ve also heard (but can’t confirm) that Sky Network Television is about to be acquired. I understand that Oaktree, the same company that sold Mediaworks, also has a large position in Sky, and that an announcement will soon be made.”

"the deleted comment"

just lol.

Ogg
09-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Alright...who's gonna pump this at the close?

An army of Sharesies users will likely be coming on tomorrow morning.

Social media is growing and will only get bigger.

Genuine large institutional buyers waiting on the sideline for "proof".

The only bad news is possibility of the NZX crashing tomorrow.

tqtq
09-09-2020, 03:44 PM
Alright...who's gonna pump this at the close?

An army of Sharesies users will likely be coming on tomorrow morning.

Social media is growing and will only get bigger.

Genuine large institutional buyers waiting on the sideline for "proof".

The only bad news is possibility of the NZX crashing tomorrow.

Just stay off NBR! Their blog isn't for opinion or discussion.

flyer
09-09-2020, 03:57 PM
I would of expected the share price to be a lot higher in the last hour of trading today from those that could be in the know, maybe the report is not going to be as we would like it to be?

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Just stay off NBR! Their blog isn't for opinion or discussion.

Yeah NBR is not the right place to post that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if the mythical characters of Peter and Isiah narked on the believers.

Captain Ramjet
09-09-2020, 04:02 PM
I noticed that SKT.ASX also has large sellers at $0.155. Must be institutions. They tried to press down the SP before the result announced tomorrow. They have not done the updated valuation yet, they cannot buy as much as retail investors now, ( they have some principles, right?) but they have sufficient power to stop SP pumping.

4.3 million on sale between 16.7 and 17.6 on NZX. I wonder if the price is being kept down here as well or do you think we would see higher volumes if that was the case?

see weed
09-09-2020, 04:10 PM
17.2 cents
..Thanks..

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Bit of a stoush in the comments section of that NBR article:

AnonymousWed, 09 Sep 2020 - 3:14pm
What a horrific article. Maybe if you actually reported some factual analysis about Sky TV and their actual prospects, instead of their perceived prospects, people wouldn't have to be so vocal on social media. Unfortunately the mainstream media has followed the same hymn sheet as most analysts and misinformed investors that they aren't worth anything. I think Spark Sport will be making a net profit of $20-25m in about year 2050. They are even too scared to release their results individually because of how awful they are... never seen you report on that though Tim.

In reply to What a horrific article… (https://www.nbr.co.nz/comment/841170#comment-841170)
Tim HunterWed, 09 Sep 2020 - 3:33pm
Thanks for your comment Anonymous. I think you may be missing the point here. The issue is not how much Sky is worth. The issue is whether some people are using rumour to inflate the share price. Personally I have no view on Sky's value and even if I did I would not express it in a news story.

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 04:23 PM

What a horrific article. Maybe if you actually reported some factual analysis about Sky TV and their actual prospects, instead of their perceived prospects, people wouldn't have to be so vocal on social media. Unfortunately the mainstream media has followed the same hymn sheet as most analysts and misinformed investors that they aren't worth anything. I think Spark Sport will be making a net profit of $20-25m in about year 2050. They are even too scared to release their results individually because of how awful they are... never seen you report on that though Tim.

In reply to What a horrific article… (https://www.nbr.co.nz/comment/841170#comment-841170)
Thanks for your comment Anonymous. I think you may be missing the point here. The issue is not how much Sky is worth. The issue is whether some people are using rumour to inflate the share price. Personally I have no view on Sky's value and even if I did I would not express it in a news story.

Good stuff. Release the lions and let the author of that article know what a bad/irrelevant article that is. John was right, the biggest enemy for Sky is the bias mainstream media. When was the last time any media outlet wrote something positive about Sky. Spark sport is a substandard service that rely on guanxi to get an unfair advantage.

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 04:35 PM
Good stuff. Release the lions and let the author of that article know what a bad/irrelevant article that is. John was right, the biggest enemy for Sky is the bias mainstream media. When was the last time any media outlet wrote something positive about Sky. Spark sport is a substandard service that rely on guanxi to get an unfair advantage.

Yeah, and Chris Keall is the worst imo. He used to write for NBR but now writes for the Herald.

No matter what Sky do, he will find a negative to focus on. I don’t want favourable reporting of Sky - as an investor I want to know what is going on with the business warts and all.

But when the stuff you read is so obviously bias...and then you see the coverage of Spark Sport being biased in the other direction by the same authors it is disappointing.

But I have found that I can rail against it as much as I want, and complain as much as I want - nothing is going to change.

dompf
09-09-2020, 04:45 PM
Yeah, and Chris Keall is the worst imo. He used to write for NBR but now writes for the Herald.

No matter what Sky do, he will find a negative to focus on. I don’t want favourable reporting of Sky - as an investor I want to know what is going on with the business warts and all.

But when the stuff you read is so obviously bias...and then you see the coverage of Spark Sport being biased in the other direction by the same authors it is disappointing.

But I have found that I can rail against it as much as I want, and complain as much as I want - nothing is going to change.

I’m sorry I can’t see where someone expressing an opinion based on their own evidence is a crime. I checked my calendar today to make sure it’s not 1942.

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 04:46 PM

That was back in 2019. Things are going to change. Now you have an army. You have started a revolution MrT....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q82twrdr0U

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 04:49 PM
I’m sorry I can’t see where someone expressing an opinion based on their own evidence is a crime. I checked my calendar today to make sure it’s not 1942.

Ummmm...are you serious?

He is a journalist...who is supposed to share the facts...not his personal opinion.

Unless the article is clearly tagged as an opinion piece, Chris (or any other journo for that matter) should not be confusing their own opinions and bias with facts.

tqtq
09-09-2020, 04:57 PM
"the deleted comment"

just lol.

It's weird that NBR didn't publish the comment and then reply after they fact checked it in the same way they replied to this posters comment. The person who wrote the comment did say that they couldn't confirm it! lol.

tqtq
09-09-2020, 05:09 PM
I wonder if NBR would have published the comment if the comment author had included the acronym DYOR.

dompf
09-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Ummmm...are you serious?

He is a journalist...who is supposed to share the facts...not his personal opinion.

Unless the article is clearly tagged as an opinion piece, Chris (or any other journo for that matter) should not be confusing their own opinions and bias with facts.

Sorry I’m talking about the opinion of whoever made a post not the article editor. That they shouldn’t be held accountable for a post to share an opinion not the ‘reporter’

To be clear anyone that makes an opinion post or suggestion isn’t accountable for what others do. If a news agency wants to read in to this inappropriately it’s up them.

Dlownz
09-09-2020, 05:18 PM
Whens Oggs mighty speech. I've been waiting for a month.

tqtq
09-09-2020, 05:24 PM
Sorry I’m talking about the opinion of whoever made a post not the article editor. That they shouldn’t be held accountable for a post to share an opinion not the ‘reporter’

To be clear anyone that makes an opinion post or suggestion isn’t accountable for what others do. If a news agency wants to read in to this inappropriately it’s up them.

Exactly. I wonder if they have a policy on commenting. If they felt it was in breach of their policy they didn't have to publish it. But if they wanted to talk about Pump & Dump, they should have looked at some of the worst offenders, and not just have singled out Sky.

Ogg
09-09-2020, 05:27 PM
When Ogg mighty speach. I've been waiting for a month.

The FMA has censored me.

Entrep
09-09-2020, 05:27 PM
Guys anything under 4 digit P/E is a value stock in this market, SKY ain't nothing special

tqtq
09-09-2020, 05:31 PM
The FMA has censored me.

lol! You were temporarily censored by sharetrader too I recall.

nztx
09-09-2020, 05:42 PM
The FMA has censored me.

I'd be happy for no censorship, their wings clipped & reduced Life Support rip-off
just to cover their lunches - all being passed on in vast Levy hike ups for all Co owners
via MED AR Fees each year..

The same Govt inspired goon show Rip-Off is now being inflicted for an Insolvency Levy
on the same captive corporate targets from 1 Sep with no announcement of that ..

Stranger_Danger
09-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Once even poor old Sky TV has been turned into a pump and dump, the end is probably nigh. The Sharesies people are smart enough to have (a) Obtained some money, somehow. (b) Obtained a mobile phone and figured out how to turn it on.

Therefore, there is clearly SOME limit to their stupidity. Eventually, surely they have to figure out that they are the patsies at the poker table?

allfromacell
09-09-2020, 06:13 PM
Once even poor old Sky TV has been turned into a pump and dump, the end is probably nigh. The Sharesies people are smart enough to have (a) Obtained some money, somehow. (b) Obtained a mobile phone and figured out how to turn it on.

Therefore, there is clearly SOME limit to their stupidity. Eventually, surely they have to figure out that they are the patsies at the poker table?

In their defense a lot of them are doing pretty well. CBD, AIR are two of their favorites and so far they've actually performed very well.

Perhaps time will prove them wrong but the old heads on here love to laugh at them even though most are up quite nicely.

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 06:14 PM
The FMA has censored me.

Aww don't bail now. I've counted the days till this moment.

winner69
09-09-2020, 06:16 PM

Very perceptive ....and maybe true ...esp the bit about the end is nigh

dompf
09-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Aww don't bail now. I've counted the days till this moment.

I want to see it as well; put it out Ogg.

Ogg
09-09-2020, 06:17 PM

The average age range of Sharesies users is probably 18-25. Stupid as they may be, the fact that these Gen Z investors still see some upside here tells you something.

It's all about valuation. Buying Tesla at $400b market cap is stupid. Likewise, selling Sky TV at these levels is dumb.

Sky should be valued at 30c today. After tomorrow's results, it may or may not be higher.

tqtq
09-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Very perceptive ....and maybe true ...esp the bit about the end is nigh

The fat lady is yet to 69

Ogg
09-09-2020, 06:18 PM
I want to see it as well; put it out Ogg.

I was all just a joke. Didn't even have a speech ready. Thought you guys would have cottoned on by now.

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 06:27 PM
I have booked out my work calendar from 10am tomorrow to make sure I am not interrupted for the meeting.

Oh yes, I intend to get paid by my employer to listen to what Martin has to share with me about my business...

dompf
09-09-2020, 06:27 PM
I was all just a joke. Didn't even have a speech ready. Thought you guys would have cottoned on by now.

You know more than most. It’s not a speech it’s a conclusion of facts built up over analysing a stock for a long time mate.

It’s an ‘opinion’. I would welcome it, as one you deserve a huge voice and 2 we are on the cusp of results tomorrow.

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 06:28 PM

Come on Ogg..Don't give us blue balls. Flash us something...Anything.

dompf
09-09-2020, 06:34 PM

Maybe Ogg was upset I have a larger holding than him. And he sold his stock 2 days ago.

I’m excited for tomorrow I will watch the presentation live. It’s a journey and we will see what comes out of it. I believe Martin Stewart Has the background and credentials to lead them upwards. We shall see

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 06:35 PM

Yeah Ogg, stop giving me a stiffy and then not following through!

Come on, just the tip is fine...

dompf
09-09-2020, 06:37 PM

Same goes for you Mista you know this stock tell us all what your points are.

Analyst
09-09-2020, 06:38 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster!
I put in lot of money on this. Hoping that this finally pays off. Definitely watching the AGM at work hopefully the boss doesn’t care 😂

mistaTea
09-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Same goes for you Mista you know this stock tell us all what your points are.

I wouldn’t be adding any new thoughts. Still happy to hold long term.

Am very much looking forward to the results tomorrow - but from the perspective of wanting to understand the progress management have made for my business. What ‘price action’ we might see is of less concern - not zero concern to me, but not my priority right now.

The only thing that has changed in my thinking is that I do believe Sky will be on the Discovery radar now. I can’t see them just taking TV3.

My preference remains for no takeover to happen - I think Sky will be worth much more to the long term shareholder as a listed company compared to what we would realistically get for the business now.

But my preference is irrelevant, and it would surprise me a lot if Discovery were not interested. It is also probably better for the business to be taken private too - given the rapid change in the industry, being listed right now has a lot of drawbacks for management who need to be focussed on making the tough calls to assist the transition.

Just my personal opinion, I have no insider knowledge - please God, nobody report me to the FMA!!!

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 06:47 PM
It's been a wild journey. Tomorrow will decide the fate of this thread. Will it be back to the backpages of Sharetrader or euphoria and hype beyond belief? I am working late into the night in case the latter gets the better of me tomorrow.

tqtq
09-09-2020, 07:05 PM
DJ New Zealand Shares Lose 1.3%; Sky TV Surges Ahead of Result
0547 GMT - New Zealand's NZX-50 dropped 1.3% to end at a three-week low of 11739.11, after the Nasdaq's 10% decline over three sessions filtered through to negative sentiment in regional equity markets. Losses were across the board and led by energy utilities, a2 Milk and retirement-village operator Ryman Healthcare. Downside could be short-lived, as some wholesale New Zealand interest rates turned negative for the first time, highlighting the higher returns available in stocks. Satellite-TV operator Sky Network Television jumped 3.1% and has gained about 20% over four sessions ahead of full-year results Thursday that might provide a verdict on whether its turnaround plans are working.(stephen.wright@wsj.com)
(END) Dow Jones Newswires

Quantitative Easing
09-09-2020, 07:10 PM
https://www.goodreturns.co.nz/article/976517467/stock-market-selloff-returns-from-holiday.html

"Sky Network Television continued to rally, gaining 3.1 percent to 16.6 cents. The pay-TV company is up 20 percent this week ahead of its earnings result tomorrow.“Macquarie upgraded Sky TV two days ago, put a buy on it—which is probably the first buy on it in quite some time—that’s been the main driver of the rally,” Gordon said.
Sky’s low share price has attracted a lot of attention from retail investors who are often drawn to cheaper stocks. A number of NZX Facebook investor pages show lots of retail investors speculating the company's shares will surge tomorrow without any specific rational.
“With a lot of day traders in the market now, you do get these accentuated moves,” Gordon said. “Hopefully, it hasn’t run too hard into the result.”

Chuckles
09-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Where does one find the link for Sky's ASM? would love to watch.

winner69
09-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Where does one find the link for Sky's ASM? would love to watch.

Not the ASM but results announcement

Webcast details

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SKT/359127/329947.pdf

Chuckles
09-09-2020, 08:51 PM
Not the ASM but results announcement

Webcast details

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SKT/359127/329947.pdf

that’s great thank you very much, Winner :t_up:

Ogg
09-09-2020, 09:14 PM

lol. I literally can't at the moment. I'm in a new house with no desktop. Some of my longer posts can take a few hours and doing this on a tablet is hard enough.

We can rule out a takeover by Infrtail tomorrow as they haven't created a takeover entity on the NZ Companies website. It's possible Discovery could put in an offer but it does seem weird that they buy Mediaworks on Monday then wait until Thursday to buy Sky. But then again maybe that does make sense, ie do it all in the same week and then submit the same application to the ComCom the following week. If Discovery does make a move and Infratil doesn't make a competing bid then I'll be pissed as I know Brooksfield would have done an inside deal with Discovery (as Brooksfield are the owners of mediaworks, not Oaktree as falsely reported everywhere).

Over the coming days I've kinda shifted my thought that maybe a takeover now isn't the best outcome for shareholders. The stock has only just started to turn the corner and now is in the spotlight again with investors. A takeover here, even at 35c could be seriously undervaluing Sky over the medium term. Sky's streaming business does seem to be gaining traction and satellite churn has stabilized. The kicker really is the clean balance sheet, thus allowing for the resumption of dividends. It seems like nothing but blue sky from here on in.

Having siad all that. I do have a large position and at times have questions my own investment philosophy. The temptation to sell and lock in profits is high. If the stock does jump to 30c it's gonna put me in a difficult situation. I have a tendency to sell too early. Mostly because I usually hold specy stocks. But Sky is different, it's a value stock that has proven itself over time to deliver on dividends, obliviously, not over the last 2 years tho, but that is what the turn around story is all about.

I won't be selling tomorrow. Unless I see an obvious Sharesies pump above 40c - which just won't happen. I'm thinking that the stock will probably only hit 20c before we start to see heavy selling from legacy investors trying to get out. What this stock really needs is more broker recommendation and more institutional buying from overseas. This will take time.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Remember it's only money. Win or lose life goes on.

dompf
09-09-2020, 09:24 PM
lol. I literally can't at the moment. I'm in a new house with no desktop. Some of my longer posts can take a few hours and doing this on a tablet is hard enough.

We can rule out a takeover by Infrtail tomorrow as they haven't created a takeover entity on the NZ Companies website. It's possible Discovery could put in an offer but it does seem weird that they buy Mediaworks on Monday then wait until Thursday to buy Sky. But then again maybe that does make sense, ie do it all in the same week and then submit the same application to the ComCom the following week. If Discovery does make a move and Infratil doesn't make a competing bid then I'll be pissed as I know Brooksfield would have done an inside deal with Discovery (as Brooksfield are the owners of mediaworks, not Oaktree as falsely reported everywhere).

Over the coming days I've kinda shifted my thought that maybe a takeover now isn't the best outcome for shareholders. The stock has only just started to turn the corner and now is in the spotlight again with investors. A takeover here, even at 35c could be seriously undervaluing Sky over the medium term. Sky's streaming business does seem to be gaining traction and satellite churn has stabilized. The kicker really is the clean balance sheet, thus allowing for the resumption of dividends. It seems like nothing but blue sky from here on in.

Having siad all that. I do have a large position and at times have questions my own investment philosophy. The temptation to sell and lock in profits is high. If the stock does jump to 30c it's gonna put me in a difficult situation. I have a tendency to sell too early. Mostly because I usually hold specy stocks. But Sky is different, it's a value stock that has proven itself over time to delivery on dividends, obliviously, not over the last 5 years tho, but that is what the turn around story is all about.

I won't be selling tomorrow. Unless I see an obvious Sharesies pump above 40c - which just won't happen. I'm thinking that the stock will probably only hit 20c before we start to see heavy selling from legacy investors trying to get out. What this stock really needs is more broker recommendation and more institutional buying from overseas. This will take time.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Remember it's only money. Win or lose life goes on.

You’re a good man Ogg; wait and watch stock holders for those upgrades. If the presentation is well received they will come not tomorrow but in the weeks to come.

Don’t miss out in money you already have.

This stock is majority held by institutional organisations once upgrades come in this stock (pending the result tomorrow) will bound up don’t miss out on the gains.

Everyone do research and enjoy the ride come a blue sky result all to be unveiled tomorrow.

tqtq
09-09-2020, 09:43 PM
Nicely said misterTea, Ogg & Dompf, QE and all others. I’m sure I speak for many on this thread when I say we enjoy your thoughts and input. Hope you keep posting after tomorrow.

clown
10-09-2020, 06:43 AM

Nicely said Ogg. Good luck everyone. Few more hours to go, game face on!!!

winner69
10-09-2020, 08:04 AM
Hi clown .....you chuckles mate?

All we need now is Sparky the Clown to rejoin the thread

Tony Two Gloves
10-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Nicely said misterTea, Ogg & Dompf, QE and all others. I’m sure I speak for many on this thread when I say we enjoy your thoughts and input. Hope you keep posting after tomorrow.
Yes thanks all for the excellent research and theories, will be an interesting day and certainly glad that the Dow is up strongly to keep overall sentiment positive. Ogg I have shortened your speech down a little and this is what I hope you will publish - "Told you so"

clown
10-09-2020, 08:16 AM

Nah mate... I'm IT :D

https://tenor.com/view/it-pennywise-gif-9756380

winner69
10-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Golly gosh - a $156m LOSS

Dlownz
10-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Still looks pretty good. Good will is always a bitch

silu
10-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Still so undervalued.

Key points:
• Revenue of $747.6m with 35% increase in streaming revenue
• Reported loss after tax of $156.8m including non-cash impairment of goodwill of $177.5m
• Operating profit before impairment of $44.9m
• Net cash from operating and investing activities of $82.7m
• Outlook1
provided for FY21 of Revenue in the range of $660m - $700m; EBITDA of $125m -
$140m; NPAT of $10m - $20m, reflecting improved trading conditions driven by the faster than
expected return of sport
• Strong financial position to navigate any further COVID-19 uncertainty and deliver on strategy in
FY21 and beyond

bottomfeeder
10-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Making money.

Cadalac123
10-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Upgraded guidance very predictable with how fast sports resumed: and decent stats good trade

bull....
10-09-2020, 09:00 AM
business still in terminal decline

forecast lower revenues again next year

trader_jackson
10-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Not too sure what the market was expecting, but SKT's Market cap is nearly $300m, and maybe, if we cross our fingers, next year it will make a bit of money? ($10-$20m)... forward PE of 15-30x? I mean in this market that isn't too bad, but given SKT's huge structural challenges moving forward, I'm not sure if is even worth a double digit PE.

Paradox
10-09-2020, 09:04 AM
I suspect market will sell down 13c or even lower. Happy to be proven otherwise.

Chuckles
10-09-2020, 09:04 AM

I have no mates :(

Clints
10-09-2020, 09:06 AM
Are we expecting some carnage today

Quantitative Easing
10-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Outlook is better than what was initially flagged. So wouldn't be suprised if the share price goes up...

Paradox
10-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Outlook is better than what was initially flagged. So wouldn't be suprised if the share price goes up...
Retail investors will go with the headline of 157m loss. If anything there will be a sell down until ASX opens ......

tqtq
10-09-2020, 09:15 AM
I'm holding. Why would you sell now? Covid vaccine, Olympics, bigger profit. I might reconsider when Sky hits 34c as per Macquarie's guidance.

Dlownz
10-09-2020, 09:16 AM
I don't know what the gloom is about. Definate turn around.

RTM

Was about what I expected, perhaps a little better, wouldn't be surprised if it stays the same....

winner69
Not too sure what the market was expecting, but SKT's Market cap is nearly $300m, and maybe, if we cross our fingers, next year it will make a bit of money? ($10-$20m)... forward PE of 15-30x? I mean in this market that isn't too bad, but given SKT's huge structural challenges moving forward, I'm not sure if is even worth a double digit PE.

...and by saying SKY brand not worth as much as they had in the books book value now not that much higher than market cap

daveoi
10-09-2020, 09:17 AM
They are making money - the goodwill impairment is inevitable and not representative of current performance - just that the business was acquired at a price that is no longer relevant to the business (in 2005 i might add)

winner69
10-09-2020, 09:17 AM

And they generally under promise?

Quantitative Easing
10-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Retail investors will go with the headline of 157m loss. If anything there will be a sell down until ASX opens ......

Also i read that the satelite customers had actually increased in the last month of FY20 "Satellite customer numbers stabilising and achievedgrowth in the final month of FY20."

SeanL
10-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Multiple posts on the social sites of the Stuff article headline already, assuming the headline is enough financial analysis for the sharesies horde might not go the way they all wanted....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/122681735/sky-tv-reports-157-million-annual-loss-after-big-writedown

Shareguy
10-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Is a better result than expected. Increased guidance and loss of satellite customers decreasing. Goodwill reduction just reflection of current share price. Looking to accumulate some more if any weakness

Chuckles
10-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Agree that the NZ media will focus on the loss, the remainder of the results and outlook looked promising to me or am I missing something.

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 09:22 AM
Going to be an interesting day for Sky. The newspapers will definitely focus on the GAAP loss.

Underlying Owner Earnings are over $80M though - much, much more than I was anticipating.

The business is still generating an incredible amount of cash.

Let's see what the team have to say @10am.

jimdog31
10-09-2020, 09:22 AM
Does it really matter how the sharesies horde feels about misreading the news headlines? If the price goes down, takeover territory more likely, if the price goes up we make money. Am i wrong?

Bjauck
10-09-2020, 09:26 AM
Is a better result than expected. Increased guidance and loss of satellite customers decreasing. Goodwill reduction just reflection of current share price. Looking to accumulate some more if any weakness Positive sign in the increased streaming income. They must think the market has got the share price right if they adjust goodwill based on that.

tqtq
10-09-2020, 09:28 AM
This is how the result is being reported by Dow Jones newswire

DJ Sky Television Forecasts Return to Profit as Streaming Grows

WELLINGTON, New Zealand--Sky Network Television Ltd. expects to return to profit in its current financial year after gaining more streaming customers and slowing the decline in legacy satellite TV subscribers.

The New Zealand company, which has struggled because of competition from streaming giants such as Netflix, on Thursday reported a full-year loss of 156.8 million New Zealand dollars ($103.8 million) due to an impairment charge.

It forecast a profit of NZ$10 million to NZ$20 million in its current financial year ending June 2021.

The company said streaming customers had grown by more than 150% to 404,000 as of June due to its acquisition of the Lightbox and RugbyPass services.

The decline in satellite subscriber revenue slowed to 7.6% from 9.3% in the previous financial year, Sky said.

Write to Stephen Wright at stephen.wright@wsj.com

Quantitative Easing
10-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Key Points:

"Satellite customer numbers stabilising and achievedgrowth in the final month of FY20."
"Faster return of sport delivering revenue performance strongerthan planned in Q4 FY20 and in the FY21 Scenario"
"Streaming revenue has essentially doubled over the past twoyears with a compound average growth rate of 40% since FY18."
"Currently no net debt and secure funding in place"

Good FCF and resumption of dividend in FY22. Bet outlook expectations.

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 09:30 AM
They must think the market has got the share price right if they adjust goodwill based on that.

That is untrue.

sb9
10-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Indication of resumption of dividends in FY22 possibly will get market excited imo.

gains
10-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Sky said it slowed the decline in its satellite subscriber base to 5.5 per cent, after a 6.4 per cent decline in customer numbers the previous year, and achieved “net growth” in June.
The company has also upgraded its guidance for its new financial year, and is now forecasting a profit of between $10m and $20m, up from its previous forecast of $5m to $15m.
Its revenue guidance for the year to next June has also been upped to $660m to $700m, from its previous forecast of $610m to $640m.

The goodwill impairment is grim, but inevitable - not really a surprise. But otherwise, I'm happy with the result. Looks positive; slowing the satellite churn, to a net positive, is what I wanted to see alongside the increased streaming customers.

Will be interesting to see how the market responds. I was hoping for the sharesies army would get amongst as it cause some big volatility (fun to watch) but a lot of people got stung by CBD so have taken a much more conservative approach to Sky.

Getty
10-09-2020, 09:35 AM
I think a medium, possibly mega trend in favour of SKY, is that Covid risks will be around for a long time yet, so level 2 and higher crowd restrictions, will mean that crowdless events such as North/south game, Supercars etc, will become the new norm, so if you want to enjoy Sports, Sky will be the place.

The roll up crowds to live events, or to bars with restrictions, will migrate to Sky.

Talking around, there still are quite a few who currently dont subscibe to Sky Sports, (yet), because they relied on bars or going to local games as their outlet.

JohnnyTheHorse
10-09-2020, 09:35 AM
FY21 NPAT range of 10-20m. At current shareprice that's a forward PE of 15-30.

A big range and given Sky is a serial underperformer you'd have to err on the side of caution and say this is on a FORWARD PE of 30. Not exactly a screaming buy?

Blue Horseshoe
10-09-2020, 09:36 AM
A lot of interest in Sky TV today.

There are currently 265 users browsing this thread. (88 members and 177 guests

dompf
10-09-2020, 09:37 AM
The goodwill impairment is grim, but inevitable - not really a surprise. But otherwise, I'm happy with the result. Looks positive; slowing the satellite churn, to a net positive, is what I wanted to see alongside the increased streaming customers.

Will be interesting to see how the market responds. I was hoping for the sharesies army would get amongst as it cause some big volatility (fun to watch) but a lot of people got stung by CBD so have taken a much more conservative approach to Sky.

The results are good, also the guidance for 2021 has improved significantly. Impairment of goodwill makes it look worse than what it really is.

Sub numbers look good as well. This report is not bad at all. I expect market to react positively given better guidance on 2021.

jimdog31
10-09-2020, 09:44 AM
Does someone have a link for the meeting please?

winner69
Multiple posts on the social sites of the Stuff article headline already, assuming the headline is enough financial analysis for the sharesies horde might not go the way they all wanted....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/122681735/sky-tv-reports-157-million-annual-loss-after-big-writedown

The photoof the smiling CEO in tht article enough to send one running to the hills

OK - shouldn't get personal

flyinglizard
http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/attachments/SKT/359511/330422.pdf

Everything looks very convincing ! Better than expectations!

Adjusted EBITA $192.4m, better than $155-175m in the guidance.

Adjusted NPAT (exclude goodwill) is $41m, better than $20-25m in the guidance.

Significant growth of 153% in streaming customers from30 June 2019 to 30 June 2020.

Customer number growth of 27%, nearly 1 million now.

CAGR 40% for streaming revenue from 2018 to 2020.

Faster return of sport delivering revenue performance, grow each month after Mar 2020.

Broadband is used by staff as a trial now and extend trials to selected customers in H1 FY21. Full launch in second half of FY21.

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 09:45 AM
https://www.nbr.co.nz/node/227542

NBR article more balanced.

trader_jackson
10-09-2020, 09:45 AM
FY21 NPAT range of 10-20m. At current shareprice that's a forward PE of 15-30.

A big range and given Sky is a serial underperformer you'd have to err on the side of caution and say this is on a FORWARD PE of 30. Not exactly a screaming buy?

Basically just re-iterating what I mentioned above - so I agree entirely - not exactly a screaming buy. Customer growth does not necessarily equal revenue growth which is also a key factor some seem to be missing.

The announcement isn't a 'bad one' by the looks of it, but some seem to be posting like SKY is a $100m market cap or some sort of 'low market cap' figure... it has a $289m market cap... in my view, the results and outlook presented today, at best, only just manage to justify where the share price is right now... but Mr Market is a funny place, maybe the excitement of the adjusted EBTIDARUFDPS type numbers will take over and the share price will surge higher.

winner69
10-09-2020, 09:46 AM
That is untrue.

......don't stress out mate

SeanL
10-09-2020, 09:47 AM
The photoof the smiling CEO in tht article enough to send one running to the hills

OK - shouldn't get personal

Winner, if you look into his eyes for long enough, there's a sadness in them

Slim
10-09-2020, 09:50 AM
First time poster
Im looking at Market depth on ASB, in the last 15 minutes we are having buy blocks appear - first 200,000 @ 17, then 100,000 @ 18 then 200,000 @ 20
Whats with that

Paradox
10-09-2020, 09:51 AM
So, I’m the only one predicting 13c today?

Disc: hold some

Panoramic Trader
10-09-2020, 09:52 AM
Very optimistic bunch,

Focusing on growth of streaming numbers...

Streaming difficulties & Blocked help lines during North vs South over the weekend

Retaining streaming customers will require reliability & consistency

A take over bid by someone with the capabilities to deliver those fundamentals in the online streaming market is your best hope..

- Not a holder

Ogg
10-09-2020, 09:52 AM
There will likely be large write downs in non-cash items again as the shareprice has dropped so much and also because they have sold off OSB. This will effect the bottom line. The media will spin this negatively and people will falsely use the bottom line as an indication of a declining business.

Read my post couple of days ago peps.

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?4216-SKT-Sky-Network-Television-Limited/page237&p=842617#post842617

Check out the front page of stuff.co.nz

Just lol

dompf
10-09-2020, 09:53 AM
So, I’m the only one predicting 13c today?

Pre trade market has this opening at 17 already. GL

Getty
the current opening crossover is 17c

RTM
Does someone have a link for the meeting please?

https://globalmeet.webcasts.com/viewer/event.jsp?ei=1352190&tp_key=b5faa4164a

Waiting...pity they are not streaming some Tour De France as a warm up ! Or similar.

Akane
10-09-2020, 09:54 AM
Pre-market looks strong. Guys I left some luggage down on Earth, guess we can't go back and pick up my shares at rock bottom prices anymore?

Paradox
Bring it on.....

Tony Two Gloves
Anyone know how to put a cork back into a bottle of Champagne??

Ogg
10-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Anyone know how to put a cork back into a bottle of Champagne??

Results look good, what are you talking about?

Getty
10-09-2020, 09:58 AM
now pre open 17.2c, the Sharsies boys are showing the long in the tooth mob the way home..

Akane
Results look good, what are you talking about?

Probably a shorter? Or trying to refund the small bottle for a bigger one.

stoploss
17.2 Now and that's without the "sharsies Army " being released through the gates .....

RGR367
As expected so I'm holding on still. I might even buy some more from today.

Ogg
Theme for today:

Turn around story confirmed

dompf
10-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Theme for today:

Turn around story confirmed

Stories sell shares

Not The Chosen One
10-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Sharesies crowd will be confused and wonder why there's a positive opening on the market right now

Chuckles
Current bid 17.2c. Hopefully SKT presentation clears a few things up

Tripp
Ah the joys of the confusing "good will"write downs

tqtq
10-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Imagine how many broadband bundles they can flog in the lead-up to the Olympics

Ogg
10-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Just lol at this results presentation. It's like a TV show.

Tripp
10-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Well it is a tv company :P

Not The Chosen One

Is it like their 112 page annual report with lots of pretty pictures?

Tony Two Gloves
Yes it does look good, just that headline might shake a few people out. In it for the long term and look to add on weakness but looks like its up already.

nevchev
10-09-2020, 10:11 AM
Not looking so promising 10 minutes in

Tony Two Gloves
10-09-2020, 10:11 AM
Blair "Nice Gains" Woodbury looking good.....

Not The Chosen One
10-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Sharesies crowd will be confused and wonder why there's a positive opening on the market right now

aaand down she goes. Rollercoaster ride, here we come...

bull....
10-09-2020, 10:12 AM
hammertime

Getty
10-09-2020, 10:14 AM
which party pooper accidently hit the sell button?

nevchev
10-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Better throw out the anchor

bull....
10-09-2020, 10:18 AM
clearly the pre results run up in price was crazy

Ogg
10-09-2020, 10:18 AM
It looks like a Sharesies dump. The algo keeps moving down.

nevchev
10-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Do holders get cheaper subscriptions?

Ogg
Sharesies order filled, is it gonna reverse now.

This is more volatile than CBD

Filthy
I am really starting to question the relevance of some the posts on this thread.
It usually doesn't bother me, but you now have to trawl through about 10 pages of cr@p before you get to anything of any real substance.
Much like that forum the ozzies use..... *sigh*

Quantitative Easing
10-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Blair is the most uninspiring CFO one can listen to.

Getty
10-09-2020, 10:22 AM
The largest 10 minute Pump & Dump in NZX history.

bull....
10-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Blair is the most uninspiring CFO one can listen to.

how can you be upbeat when you know the companies in tterminal decline

trader_jackson
10-09-2020, 10:24 AM
The largest 10 minute Pump & Dump in NZX history.

Na, CBD is by miles... it is still being pumped and dumped - the true extent of the dump isn't showing yet as the share price remains ridiculously high.

+++++
10-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Out at .172 avg

bottomfeeder
10-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Grow a pair

Big Balls can sometimes weigh you down.
Out at 17.1.

Ogg
10-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Classic retail dump.

Getty
10-09-2020, 10:29 AM
Looks like the Cable St boys have regained their composure.
Top 3 rungs $198 k buy, vs $11k sell, to get back to 15.9c

stoploss
10-09-2020, 10:29 AM
2nd battalion just took to the field

thebusinessman
10-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Wow I haven't had a ride like this is a while! I've been watching thousands of imaginary dollars come and go since 10am!

Still holding...

LEMON
10-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Sharsies selling scare, trying to catch the fall before they get another Cannasouth or Blackwells so they pour out. She'll restore shortly.

Getty
10-09-2020, 10:32 AM

I hope RAMbo makes a comeback.

clown
10-09-2020, 10:33 AM
I'm sure it was the headline from Stuff that popped up on their mobiles...

winner69
10-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Might get back to the 13’s

Buy the rumour (the future is great) ...sell the fact (the future is just ho-hum)

ratkin
10-09-2020, 10:37 AM
I am really starting to question the relevance of some the posts on this thread.
It usually doesn't bother me, but you now have to trawl through about 10 pages of cr@p before you get to anything of any real substance.
Much like that forum the ozzies use..... *sigh*

Shocking isn't it. big contrast with the rest of the forum. Hopefully we will avoid contagion.

Getty
10-09-2020, 10:40 AM
Looking at last few days of trading, I suspect the weak hands have been shaken out, and the near term chart will resemble CVT, post Cap Raise.

bull....
10-09-2020, 10:41 AM

about to be wiped out

theflat2
10-09-2020, 10:57 AM
It was fascinating to watch, I must have refreshed the depth page too many times as Direct Brooking blocked my IP address due to 'Excessive Web Requests'! I have never had that happen before.

Balance
10-09-2020, 10:57 AM
Real market will emerge when ASX opens.

Wait for it.

Getty
10-09-2020, 11:05 AM
It was fascinating to watch, I must have refreshed the depth page too many times as Direct Brooking blocked my IP address due to 'Excessive Web Requests'! I have never had that happen before.

Ah, so now we know who was crashing the NZX!!

jimdog31
10-09-2020, 11:07 AM
What are our thoughts on a takeover now?

blackcap
10-09-2020, 11:07 AM

Everytime you click on refresh it costs them a few cents. So no wonder they decided to block your IP address.

Well in the past it cost a few cents. Not sure what it costs now. But a few cents but a lot of clicks can add up to a sizeable sum pretty quickly.

Chuckles
10-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Real market will emerge when ASX opens.

Wait for it.

Which way will the the 'real market' react when the ASX opens in your opinion, similar to NZX a roller coaster or do you belive the ASX investors will view the news as positive and trade accordingly?

Ogg
10-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Me this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5_rn3vG3A

tqtq
10-09-2020, 11:28 AM
Just a reminder

DJ Sky TV Sees Return to Profit on Streaming, Live Sports --Update
10 Sep 2020 07:26:07

WELLINGTON, New Zealand--Sky Network Television Ltd. expects to return to profit in its current financial year after gaining more streaming customers and slowing the decline in legacy satellite TV subscribers.

The New Zealand company, which has struggled because of competition from streaming giants such as Netflix, on Thursday reported a full-year loss of 156.8 million New Zealand dollars ($103.8 million) due to an impairment charge.

It forecast a profit of NZ$10 million to NZ$20 million in its current financial year ending June 2021. That's an increase from its guidance in May due to a faster-than-expected return of live sports broadcasting after pandemic restrictions were eased in New Zealand.

The company said streaming customers had grown by more than 150% to 404,000 as of June due to its acquisition of the Lightbox and RugbyPass services.

The decline in satellite subscriber revenue slowed to 7.6% from 9.3% in the previous financial year, Sky said. It plans to launch a broadband internet service in 2021.

The company said it won't pay a dividend in the current financial year and will reevaluate its position on dividends in the following year.

Ogg
10-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Time to initiate plan B...

https://a.thumbs.redditmedia.com/xTP3rfsqLStHa28uDIyJn3-TmlANgJTWOWpqd_tPrm4.png

clown
10-09-2020, 11:32 AM
Just a reminder

DJ Sky TV Sees Return to Profit on Streaming, Live Sports --Update
10 Sep 2020 07:26:07

It forecast a profit of NZ$10 million to NZ$20 million in its current financial year ending June 2021. That's an increase from its guidance in May due to a faster-than-expected return of live sports broadcasting after pandemic restrictions were eased in New Zealand.

The decline in satellite subscriber revenue slowed to 7.6% from 9.3% in the previous financial year, Sky said. It plans to launch a broadband internet service in 2021.

The company said it won't pay a dividend in the current financial year and will reevaluate its position on dividends in the following year.

If the media posted these headlines the share price would have gone the other way...

Dlownz
10-09-2020, 11:34 AM
I actually don't see the problem. Everything within guidence. In fact things have improved more so it actually looks very positive. I would have thought most would be happy.

tqtq
10-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Sky's on track for a few upgrades today / tomorrow. Just got to wait for them to come through. With a more positive story investor sentiment will change.

tqtq
Even Brian Han from Morningstar sounds positive on Sky

Hello123
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12363691

Yoda
10-09-2020, 11:39 AM
I think some people just look at a slight downward trend and decide to sell and can't be bothered reading the report. They expect the market to digest it for them and then just go with a trend

Stranger_Danger
10-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Good lord, it can't even pump and dump properly. Woof!

trader_jackson
10-09-2020, 11:42 AM
Might get back to the 13’s

Buy the rumour (the future is great) ...sell the fact (the future is just ho-hum)

Potentially more like: sell the fact (the future doesn't exist)

jimdog31
10-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Does anybody else feel like they actually could be onto something with broadband/neon/sky bundle deals? I really liked his comment about how the marketing costs to acquire customers are going to be lower due to the existing customer base?

Hello123
10-09-2020, 11:47 AM
Since a lot of you have a good average buy of under 15c you just hold until next year.

Im sure you'll get there eventually.

k14
10-09-2020, 12:01 PM
Does anybody else feel like they actually could be onto something with broadband/neon/sky bundle deals? I really liked his comment about how the marketing costs to acquire customers are going to be lower due to the existing customer base?
I think that if this is executed correctly, it could be a very nice earner. Go and see how Contact have done with their broadband offering. I think upwards of 20k customers on it now and roughly 2 years since starting. Sky is starting from a much larger customer base compared to Contact so if they can get the increase in revenue and leverage their existing customer base in a similar way that Contact has then they could be onto a winner.

Chuckles
10-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Once the ASX opens do you think those investors will see the results as positive or negative as we have seen when the NZX opened this morning?

bull....
10-09-2020, 12:08 PM
spark has been saying for years no serious money to be made in broadband market. margins too small

Entrep
10-09-2020, 12:13 PM
spark has been saying for years no serious money to be made in broadband market. margins too small

And they are correct. It's "easy" to become an ISP nowadays why do you think there is so many companies doing it. What it might do though is reduce churn

jimdog31
10-09-2020, 12:14 PM

Could help with churn though

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 12:19 PM
And they are correct. It's "easy" to become an ISP nowadays why do you think there is so many companies doing it. What it might do though is reduce churn

Not just reduce churn, but also help grow subscribers through competitive bundles.

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 12:20 PM
The result today was excellent imo - the business earned considerably more than I thought would be the case.

Mr Market not too happy with that accounting loss though it seems!

Entrep
10-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Not just reduce churn, but also help grow subscribers through competitive bundles.

Maybe if they are free. I still think that anyone that wants a Sky product will have it.

bottomfeeder
10-09-2020, 12:27 PM
Wow hasnt the exuberance of the last week vanished. Sold out this morning at 17.1, just bought back at 15.3, like getting a $600 dividend. Takeover still on the cards. Worth a punt, for the medium term.

Ogg
10-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Infratil and Discovery right now...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DisfiguredGrandAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif

JohnnyTheHorse
10-09-2020, 12:34 PM
What a beauty of a "buy the rumor, sell the fact" short this morning.

shazam
10-09-2020, 12:34 PM

I doubt Sky are getting in to the BB market as a money earner. What they will do is bundle with their streaming products and be able to control the connection to the customer. It's essentially replacing the satellite in their current operating model.

ThaiJohn
10-09-2020, 12:42 PM
Mine are going in the bottom draw.

bottomfeeder
10-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Why did Discovery buy TV3. Not a great deal to be made from FTA TV. Especially when advertising bites the dust in the coming depression. I can only think they are into a new technology of on demand tv payments. But also as a stepping stone to premium content on a streaming site. Could be their own or skt. We will see. No more FTA channels left, so a NZ streaming service may be the next target for someone else. Either way if no TO, the future of skt doesnt look that bad.
Announcement that goodwill will be written off should have been made ages ago.

Marilyn Munroe
10-09-2020, 12:51 PM

That is Spark sledging Chorus.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

bull....
10-09-2020, 12:59 PM
I doubt Sky are getting in to the BB market as a money earner. What they will do is bundle with their streaming products and be able to control the connection to the customer. It's essentially replacing the satellite in their current operating model.

bundling the only way they can try and retain there ever declining revenue base.

i would subscribe again if you didnt have to buy there rediculous starter pack of free to air channels

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 01:08 PM
i would subscribe again if you didnt have to buy there rediculous starter pack of free to air channels

Yeah - unfortunately for satellite the entry bundle is a necessary evil. It just isn't worth their while for a customer to just take SOHO (for example) for $9.99/month by the time they have to send out a technician to get them set up.

BUT...once Sky GO is offered as a standalone as part of a broadband bundle...I see no reason why they could not completely overhaul their bundles...and remove Sky Starter as an entry package. It is a much cheaper distribution model, so if someone just wants SOHO...let them have it. If someone just wants Entertainment, go for it. Give the consumers what they want without entry package charges and MySky charges.

More revenue for Sky, and the customer feels they are getting better value. Win-win.

The next 12-24 months are going to be very, ver interesting.

bottomfeeder
10-09-2020, 01:10 PM
SKT could become a TV recording and other high spec equipment renter. I kept SKY on for quite a few years in the past just to have the use of their recording equipment. Who knows where technology is going. Netflix has a brilliant model for recording etc and then playing offline. I can see new technology changing the way we watch everything in the near future. SKY will need to keep at the forefront of this technology.

LEMON
10-09-2020, 01:16 PM
Slow build back up this week after a rocky start to the morning. Could be a lot of day traders, pump and dumbs plus sharesies parade doing a quick sell with fear of another canna/blackwell

Tripp
10-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Yeah - unfortunately for satellite the entry bundle is a necessary evil. It just isn't worth their while for a customer to just take SOHO (for example) for $9.99/month by the time they have to send out a technician to get them set up.

BUT...once Sky GO is offered as a standalone as part of a broadband bundle...I see no reason why they could not completely overhaul their bundles...and remove Sky Starter as an entry package. It is a much cheaper distribution model, so if someone just wants SOHO...let them have it. If someone just wants Entertainment, go for it. Give the consumers what they want without entry package charges and MySky charges.

More revenue for Sky, and the customer feels they are getting better value. Win-win.

The next 12-24 months are going to be very, ver interesting.

Ah the issue with streaming.
So the more people that change to streaming the higher the cost to deliver for sky. With streaming you need to have the content delivery network (CDN's) the more people that signup and stream the higher the cost is.
This is different to satellite. Satellite was a fix cost over a term of the contract with the provider, this fixed cost depends on the number of channels, if they are HD etc. Once you had this sorted you could put as many customers on this and the cost would not increase unless you upgrade channels to HD or added more. So the more satellite customers the lower the delivery cost per sub and the higher the profit.
Steaming is the other way around, higher cost, lower profits per sub.

The starter packs etc tend to be lower cost programs or even "buy this we will give you that" content deals. The starter packs were used to offset the pricing of other packs (i.e. if there was no starter/basic then sports etc would be more).

Also for years people have been saying "let me pay for the programs i want to watch" Now we have Netflix, disney+, neon etc. People are slowly working out that the cost of each different service can be much more than what the pricing is for sky. Content is also now locked behind studio's own streaming services so it's harder to get them in streaming service that does a range of different programs/movies.

Side note: I use to work there :P I am one of the 18% drops in employees :P

Leftfield
10-09-2020, 01:36 PM
So the more people that change to streaming the higher the cost to deliver for sky. With streaming you need to have the content delivery network (CDN's) the more people that signup and stream the higher the cost is.
This is different to satellite. Satellite was a fix cost over a term of the contract with the provider, this fixed cost depends on the number of channels, if they are HD etc. Once you had this sorted you could put as many customers on this and the cost would not increase unless you upgrade channels to HD or added more. So the more satellite customers the lower the delivery cost per sub and the higher the profit.

Useful comments on Streaming - thanks.

tqtq
10-09-2020, 01:39 PM

The starter packs etc tend to be lower cost programs or even "buy this we will give you that" content deals. The starter packs were used to offset the pricing of other packs (i.e. if there was no starter/basic then sports etc would be more).

Also for years people have been saying "let me pay for the programs i want to watch" Now we have Netflix, disney+, neon etc. People are slowly working out that the cost of each different service can be much more than what the pricing is for sky. Content is also now locked behind studio's own streaming services so it's harder to get them in streaming service that does a range of different programs/movies.

Can't see CDN cost issues being a problem if you're a virtual ISP.

Dlownz
10-09-2020, 01:41 PM
The thing that I'm not sure everyone is seeing is we all knew the guidence and for next year. It's now increased. Is that not a good thing. I'm surprised the price has dropped. But then Ive seen that happening quite a bit lately with other companies then they recover again two weeks later. Just profit taking I'm guessing. Sky's looking good and I was quite happy with what I saw and read today. Goodwill is a little like tax. Is a invisible asset you can keep adding onto it over and over but one day it has to come down. We are just seeing adjustments from previous administrations. I'd rather see goodwill deleted from all accounting practices.

Tripp
10-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Can't see CDN cost issues being a problem if you're a virtual ISP.
If they were to do that they would need a big internet backbone and to host their own platforms etc. Would cost more than they would want to pay plus the support of it all. Companies already do this for other companies etc, why make the wheel again? ;)

bull....
10-09-2020, 01:48 PM

are not the costs of streaming declining every yr so in the future streaming might be more cost effective than satelite. so sky foot in each basket if there still around makes sense

Tripp
10-09-2020, 01:53 PM
are not the costs of streaming declining every yr so in the future streaming might be more cost effective than satelite. so sky foot in each basket if there still around makes sense

It is good that they have a foot in both areas now. Satellite tends to be fixed cost over a number of years, unlike streaming where it can go up and down depending on usage etc. But streaming could get cheaper than satellite but a lot of customers would need to leave satellite and I am sure sky would kill it before that if it was running at a loss

tqtq
10-09-2020, 01:56 PM
If they were to do that they would need a big internet backbone and to host their own platforms etc. Would cost more than they would want to pay plus the support of it all. Companies already do this for other companies etc, why make the wheel again? ;)

This is something that Chorus are already working on.

Tripp
10-09-2020, 01:58 PM
I have no comment on this :p

bull....
10-09-2020, 01:59 PM

platforms where the real money is to be made ie youtube

allfromacell
10-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Anyone else topping up at 0.15c? Happy to see guidance was not only met but beaten and FY21 forecasts upgraded. Hard to not see great value when the comparing the market cap to FCF.

tqtq
10-09-2020, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the share price will close either today or tomorrow at a similar price to yesterday's close. Not much action now.

The bedwetters have have changed the sheets and gone back to sleep.

clown
10-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Anyone else topping up at 0.15c? Happy to see guidance was not only met but beaten and FY21 forecasts upgraded. Hard to not see great value when the comparing the market cap to FCF.

If I knew the market would be like this today I should have waited instead of topping up at 0.167 yesterday :eek2:

Paradox
10-09-2020, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the share price will close either today or tomorrow at a similar price to yesterday's close. Not much action now.

The bedwetters have have changed the sheets and gone back to sleep.
I was wrong. Predicted 13c. We may close down 14.8-15 today and lower tomorrow.

winner69
10-09-2020, 02:27 PM

guidance beaten -- so why did they say this - Sky Network Television Limited (SKT) delivered results for the twelve months ended 30 June 2020 (excluding non-cash impairment of goodwill) that were in line with guidance,

Quantitative Easing
10-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Will be interesting the see broker recommendations for the stock. Will make or break the future of sky shares.

Ogg
10-09-2020, 02:53 PM
Patton's 3rd army has arrived.

Quantitative Easing
10-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Patton's 3rd army has arrived.

Haha i think we need George Zhukov and the red army for the battle.

Oliver Mander
10-09-2020, 02:57 PM
guidance beaten -- so why did they say this - Sky Network Television Limited (SKT) delivered results for the twelve months ended 30 June 2020 (excluding non-cash impairment of goodwill) that were in line with guidance,

I think it is actually within the top end of their forecast range, hence 'in line with guidance'. They've improved the outlook for 2021 of course, but that doesn't count as beating guidance. From an investor perspective, I'm gratified that their transformation milestones are being achieved. I'm just as non-plussed as anyone by the bizarre trading patterns this morning!

Quantitative Easing
10-09-2020, 02:58 PM
I think it is actually within the top end of their forecast range, hence 'in line with guidance'. They've improved the outlook for 2021 of course, but that doesn't count as beating guidance. From an investor perspective, I'm gratified that their transformation milestones are being achieved. I'm just as non-plussed as anyone by the bizarre trading patterns this morning!

Well it forms a nice narrative to the whole fake news stock manipulation story run by NBR.

Ogg
10-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Haha i think we need George Zhukov and the red army for the battle.

The Sharesies commander, after sending in all of his investors at 17c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-P4ILkZlo

+++++
10-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Lol @ offer vol's at low .15s increments 2400 2 orders .153. 1700 2 orders .152. Why bother.

allfromacell
10-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Probably because revenue didn't beat and just narrowly slipped inside the top end of the guidance. Profit we well above the given range of 20-25M which to me is the most important metric (ignoring non-cash impairments).

tqtq
10-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Lol @ offer vol's at low .15s increments 2400 2 orders .153. 1700 2 orders .152. Why bother.

Just bots trying to flush out the remaining bedwetters

Entrep
10-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Classic sharesies pump and dump

Anyone on tiktok? Might be Sky's only hope

Ogg
10-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Classic sharesies pump and dump

This is exactly what happened.

Result was good.

Stock is still above 60 day moving average.

Noob retail/sharesies investors got spooked by the 150m lose and sold at "market price". No institutional buy liquidity as they were watching the televised presentation. Once the stock went negative, sellers piled in, thus causing more stop losses and selling. Sharesies algo went in full bear mode. We're now at 15c support level with value investors picking up the supply.

winner69
10-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Probably because revenue didn't beat and just narrowly slipped inside the top end of the guidance. Profit we well above the given range of 20-25M which to me is the most important metric (ignoring non-cash impairments).

Apples to apples npat was nearly a miss ... $20.7m it was

Quote: Net Profit After Tax excluding goodwill of $20.7m within guidance range of $20m - $25m

Should have put brackets around excluding profit

So many different profit measures

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 03:37 PM
https://www.nbr.co.nz/node/227549

Decent interview. I think NBR have painted a fair view of what is happening with Sky.

Have not embellished the positives, but nor have they put a negative spin on the results.

jimdog31
10-09-2020, 03:49 PM
https://www.nbr.co.nz/node/227549

Decent interview. I think NBR have painted a fair view of what is happening with Sky.

Have not embellished the positives, but nor have they put a negative spin on the results.

6:30 is interesting

allfromacell
10-09-2020, 03:52 PM
Apples to apples npat was nearly a miss ... $20.7m it was

Quote: Net Profit After Tax excluding goodwill of $20.7m within guidance range of $20m - $25m

Should have put brackets around excluding profit

So many different profit measures

Sorry, my mistake.

clown
10-09-2020, 03:54 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?objectid=12363691&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=nzh_fb&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR14kOWTGuM-hyNz08cEEwpTyO_HBHGtJDLEGvq_jzMPHo1ImhSewEp1rLc#Ec hobox=1599687887

From the article:
The CEO said Discovery Inc talked to Sky before it closed its deal to by MediaWorks' TV arm. It offered reassurances that Sky and Discovery's content partnership would not be affected.

Wonder what else they discussed? :)

tqtq
10-09-2020, 04:09 PM
New Sky TV box on the way: The good news and the bad news
https://nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12363887

bull....
10-09-2020, 04:20 PM
looks like the lows coming into the close. not surprising bounced the other day on hope

tqtq
10-09-2020, 04:24 PM
looks like the lows coming into the close. not surprising bounced the other day on hope

Almost every stock in every market, including the Nasdaq, runs on hope.

Mel
10-09-2020, 04:31 PM
Yes, I firmly believe that such bundles will improve ARPU, reduce churn, improve acquisition opportunities - and you are correct, their customer base of ~1m custs is a huge leverage point and one which other broadband providers could only yearn for (recognising that the market of broadband providers is hugely congested and contested).

Ogg
10-09-2020, 04:32 PM
When you're up $40,000 at breakfast but it's all gone by tea time

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/K5tkO75zotabHWgdRguVjA--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NTAwO2g9Mjgx/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/17925cdfc429cc7551e6c2ffdcde4f1e

Longhaul
10-09-2020, 04:35 PM
Who is soaking all this selling?

tqtq
10-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Yes, I firmly believe that such bundles will improve ARPU, reduce churn, improve acquisition opportunities - and you are correct, their customer base of ~1m custs is a huge leverage point and one which other broadband providers could only yearn for (recognising that the market of broadband providers is hugely congested and contested).

Totally, and they've got a super strong marketing platform to get people interested and an existing sales team to close the deal

jonu
10-09-2020, 04:36 PM
When you're up $40,000 at breakfast but it's all gone by tea time

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/K5tkO75zotabHWgdRguVjA--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NTAwO2g9Mjgx/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/17925cdfc429cc7551e6c2ffdcde4f1e

When you have been buying sub 15 and think it is oversold :t_up: :D

tqtq
10-09-2020, 04:37 PM

Macquarie, UBS, Credit Suisse

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 04:38 PM

Ogg. Definitely Ogg.

Ogg
10-09-2020, 04:42 PM

Discovery Inc.

tqtq
10-09-2020, 04:45 PM
Discovery Inc.

My money's on Chorus now for any takeover action.

bull....
10-09-2020, 04:47 PM
My money's on Chorus now for any takeover action.

more likely than ift i reckon

RGR367
10-09-2020, 04:48 PM
When you have been buying sub 15 and think it is oversold :t_up: :D

Ditto. Give it another 2-3 weeks and the sp will be higher than .170. I could be wrong of course, but no guts no glory in this stock on the way it's going.

Leftfield
10-09-2020, 04:55 PM
When you're up $40,000 at breakfast but it's all gone by tea time]

I reckon SKT could be one of the great turnaround stories of all time......... just not yet, and not today.

BIG thanks to Ogg and mistaTea for making this one of the most entertaining threads to read (almost better entertainment than watching SKY on the big screen!)

GLH. (watching from the sidelines)

Dlownz
10-09-2020, 05:35 PM
Yip I'm surprised in the drop today after the nice rise. The Cork went back in the bottle after 20 minutes of trading.
I'm still saying it the result was good. It wasn't a bad one (for a change). The presentation was good and although I missed most of the questions and answers from what I heard I thought it will be well received from Institutions. I just wondering at play now with the sharesies effect big firms can be using this to their advantage. Driving the price up selling then making users panic sell creating a snowball effect. Then they are there to mop up the cheap shares. I'm almost thinking about doing it myself. Just alot more volitility makes a interesting day but I would rather just see sky rise slowly, effortlessly 😜😁🙂

Balance
10-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Discovery Inc.

Makes no sense - they would like to have the sp down to 12c, remember so they can launch a takeover? No point them supporting the sp or showing their hand for a pathetic 24m shares.

Dlownz
10-09-2020, 05:54 PM
For the record how many people will be having sky as there stock pick for 2021. 😁

tqtq
10-09-2020, 06:00 PM
For the record how many people will be having sky as there stock pick for 2021. 

Me, it's a good long term 'sure thing' hold. Offsets some of the riskier plays.

jimdog31
10-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Whats with the new box??

jonu
10-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Yip I'm surprised in the drop today after the nice rise. The Cork went back in the bottle after 20 minutes of trading.
I'm still saying it the result was good. It wasn't a bad one (for a change). The presentation was good and although I missed most of the questions and answers from what I heard I thought it will be well received from Institutions. I just wondering at play now with the sharesies effect big firms can be using this to their advantage. Driving the price up selling then making users panic sell creating a snowball effect. Then they are there to mop up the cheap shares. I'm almost thinking about doing it myself. Just alot more volitility makes a interesting day but I would rather just see sky rise slowly, effortlessly ������

There was certainly some flushing out going on. Funny thing is, now that the result is out, which made guidance without the nice tax break the good will impairment gives them, nervous nellies run for the hills. Safer buying now than 2 weeks ago!

mistaTea
10-09-2020, 06:44 PM
So according to Mr Market, Sky Network Television is only worth three times as much as NZME.

Riiiiight. Considering Sky still produced a FCF of $82M....that has got to be at least 10 times more than anything NZME could muster.

Stranger_Danger
10-09-2020, 06:44 PM
Me, it's a good long term 'sure thing' hold. Offsets some of the riskier plays.

"Cheap" does not mean less risky. Sky TV is at the pointy end of several megatrends - the very definition of a burning platform.

And is Sky TV even cheap? One reason people are happily paying insane prices for some things is low interest rates. If the buyer can be convinced of large cashflows far into the future, then they can justify almost any price, at least to themselves, in the present environment.

There is a good chance that the "best" days for Sky TV lie in the immediate future, and the further out you go, the more risk and uncertainty there is that they will have a viable business model. Therefore, it is much harder for one to use low interest rates as a mechanism to delude themselves, which is why the market isn't.

To some extent, what you're betting on is that the cashflows from the current business model can be deployed into finding the future. But, even on the most optimistic assumptions, how much cash can this business generate and what kind of future can a NZ content aggregator buy?

You have giant content creators like Disney and HBO seeking to control distribution. You have giant aggregators like Netflix, now creating content, with the megacap tech firms like Amazon, Google and Apple broadly in the same business. All of these have global scale and access to capital that Sky TV can only dream about.

Then at the bottom end, you have piracy. For those that are happy to pirate content, this is truly the best of times. Quality content being created for a sole platform by companies without a short term profit motive, but, once pirated, the content from EVERY platform is easily available at no charge. Great for pirates. Horrible for Sky TV.

I have not ruled out ever buying Sky TV - I actively monitor it as a potential investment, I'm not just in the thread to throw stones. But they are in an extremely tough spot due to the myriad of competitive pressures, and I don't see things getting much easier.

This is not a low risk investment.