PDA

View Full Version : SKT Sky Network Television Limited.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57

LaserEyeKiwi
06-07-2022, 11:21 AM
Based on the article, it's unlikely that there will be a rollout in September (chip shortages and logistics delay etc). Looks like Sky has tried to hide this one under the rug with this MW nonsense!

The only thing going for Sky is Neon growth, which is likely to be strong Q3 and Q4 and having alot of cash from the property sale (which they did get a good price for) and dividend/cap return.

why do you assume neon growth will be strong? Its been rather tepid with content lately, with most of the hyped content on other services for the most part.

Skys movie library has been particularly bad lately. Look at this absolutely horrible list of July movies being promoted - only the first two movies are actually new!!! The rest are all back catalogue titles from the 2000s/2010s. Terrible. It’s basically on par with the movie offering from TVNZ+, and thats free.

snigmac
06-07-2022, 11:52 AM
why do you assume neon growth will be strong? Its been rather tepid with content lately, with most of the hyped content on other services for the most part.

Skys movie library has been particularly bad lately. Look at this absolutely horrible list of July movies being promoted - only the first two movies are actually new!!! The rest are all back catalogue titles from the 2000s/2010s. Terrible. It’s basically on par with the movie offering from TVNZ+, and thats free.

I'm assuming that Westworld and Game of Thones will encourage subscription. I am biased, these are two shows I enjoy very much. I believe they have loyal watchers. Both series have a season that will be released on Neon across Q3 and 4.

For disclosure, I'm watching from the sideline have have sold my holding (not that it is important).

Entrep
06-07-2022, 04:04 PM
If we don't hear any update on the capital return this month the Board is either incompetent ...

Is the incompetence of the Sky board really in dispute?

They are good for one thing: poor decisions.

JohnnyTheHorse
06-07-2022, 04:40 PM
Is the incompetence of the Sky board really in dispute?

They are good for one thing: poor decisions.

Sold the property at the peak of the market, have driven serious cost reductions directly increasing profits. Sure, I haven't been impressed by them in general, however they haven't screwed everything.

mistaTea
06-07-2022, 05:47 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/skys-message-to-premier-league-fans-suffering-on-demand-anxiety/NMWRSPORJLXQ2PLCWDHCMUCVTA/

Chris scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and come up with an article that fires a shot at Sky.

silu
07-07-2022, 08:58 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/skys-message-to-premier-league-fans-suffering-on-demand-anxiety/NMWRSPORJLXQ2PLCWDHCMUCVTA/

Chris scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and come up with an article that fires a shot at Sky.

I can't read it but yeah I have anxiety about it.

freebee
07-07-2022, 09:27 AM

Yes agree - a positive announcement from SKT on their plans would help shareholders anxiety as their track record in last few months has savaged the SP and only crickets from the board. This board seem to almost wanting to keep shareholders expectations low. Why wait until August? and will we actually know then or will it be another delay? Just announce what you plan to do with our cash and get on with it SKT !

shazam
07-07-2022, 10:04 AM

So the Herald asked Sky to put it in black and white. Will it offer all Premier League games on-demand?
"Yes, all 380 games will be live and on-demand on Sky and Sky Sport Now," chief corporate affairs officer Chris Major replied.

---

That's pretty much the article

silu
07-07-2022, 10:11 AM
So the Herald asked Sky to put it in black and white. Will it offer all Premier League games on-demand?
"Yes, all 380 games will be live and on-demand on Sky and Sky Sport Now," chief corporate affairs officer Chris Major replied.

---

That's pretty much the article

But where? I've tried it out after they told me but it only works on the phone/ipad/laptop app. It won't work on the TV apps or through Chromecast though. Laptop through HDMI won't work either. As a fan of football I'm apoplectic.

airedale
07-07-2022, 11:26 AM
I followed my post on here with post to Sky web site feed back page. I got an automated reply to say that it could take up to 10 DAYS to get a reply. 10 DAYS! I rest my grumpy case

But where? I've tried it out after they told me but it only works on the phone/ipad/laptop app. It won't work on the TV apps or through Chromecast though. Laptop through HDMI won't work either. As a fan of football I'm apoplectic.

Ring them on 0800 759759 for HELP and if you are lucky you will get a message that they will ring you in 10 days time, if you are unlucky they will just ignore you after telling you that "you are a valued customer and that you are next in line".

silu
07-07-2022, 11:30 AM
Ring them on 0800 759759 for HELP and if you are lucky you will get a message that they will ring you in 10 days time, if you are unlucky they will just ignore you after telling you that "you are a valued customer and that you are next in line".

I already did all that. They said use the app. I said but what if I want to watch a replay on the big screen? Well then tough luck.

I'm a Sky Tv shareholder but when I heard that the PL went back to them I was horrified.

P.S. I know all of that could be avoided if I just go back to the box and MySky but I can't see that in 2022 I'd have to do that.

mistaTea
07-07-2022, 11:44 AM
I already did all that. They said use the app. I said but what if I want to watch a replay on the big screen? Well then tough luck.

I'm a Sky Tv shareholder but when I heard that the PL went back to them I was horrified.

P.S. I know all of that could be avoided if I just go back to the box and MySky but I can't see that in 2022 I'd have to do that.

If you want to watch on the big screen why wouldn’t you just Chromecast it from the SSN app?

What am I missing here?

silu
07-07-2022, 12:13 PM
If you want to watch on the big screen why wouldn’t you just Chromecast it from the SSN app?

What am I missing here?

You can't do that if you want to replay a broadcast or if you want the pause/rewind functions. Works on the phone. Then send to Chromecast doesn't work. Called them. Yeah nothing we can do. Basically my Sunday morning routine of waking up and watching PL games on demand on the big screen is over.

mistaTea
07-07-2022, 12:28 PM
You can't do that if you want to replay a broadcast or if you want the pause/rewind functions. Works on the phone. Then send to Chromecast doesn't work. Called them. Yeah nothing we can do. Basically my Sunday morning routine of waking up and watching PL games on demand on the big screen is over.

Christ! I had no idea about that limitation!

That would be…infuriating…I see now.

Looks like my MySky box is still the way to go!

silu
07-07-2022, 12:31 PM
Christ! I had no idea about that limitation!

That would be…infuriating…I see now.

Looks like my MySky box is still the way to go!

Yeah I'm annoyed. I could go back to the MySky Box but I'm so stubborn right now I've dug my heels in and just complain until something changes.

mistaTea
07-07-2022, 12:41 PM
Yeah I'm annoyed. I could go back to the MySky Box but I'm so stubborn right now I've dug my heels in and just complain until something changes.

They need to sort that limitation out ASAP. Really unacceptable in 2022.

If you go MySky you get Sky GO so can still stream/Chromecast if you prefer.

DeathByWarriors
07-07-2022, 04:09 PM

Why not just download the SSN app onto your TV and watch through that?

mistaTea
07-07-2022, 04:15 PM
Why not just download the SSN app onto your TV and watch through that?

If you have a Smart TV that has the app then sure…

Could buy an AppleTV too. I used to use that and got a great stream.

Watchful
07-07-2022, 05:07 PM

Have had no issues watching back previous programs via phone or tablet chromecasting to the tv with SSN in the past, with all the play/pause/skip ahead etc. Does your chromecast need a software update or something?

Moneyman
08-07-2022, 05:43 AM
Surely the capital management plan will be announced before the year end results. The best outcome for shareholders is to increase the SP via buyback and then commence dividends at the full year result on a lower number of shares to improve EPS? Thoughts?

mistaTea
08-07-2022, 07:41 AM
Surely the capital management plan will be announced before the year end results. The best outcome for shareholders is to increase the SP via buyback and then commence dividends at the full year result on a lower number of shares to improve EPS? Thoughts?

Yes I would think so.

The only rationale explanation for not announcing something before the FY results is if they are somehow working on something else.

Impossible to say.

silu
08-07-2022, 09:28 AM
Again thanks for your posts but I know I can watch a replay with the rewind/pause functions on my phone or laptop but you cannot stream it to Chromecast. The moment you stream that replay to Chromecast it goes to the live feed of that channel. Believe me I've tried. All my apps are up to date. Sky TV knows about that. I believe they do this because they don't want people to stream to a big TV in public settings. You can't even plug your laptop playing SSN with a HDMI cable to the TV. Their technology explicitly prohibits that. It works with every other streaming app I have. Just not Sky.

Habits
12-07-2022, 07:35 AM
Sky must have been reading this thread and listening. They just sent me an email "Sky Sport Now is more than just LIVE!"

Thanks

silu
12-07-2022, 08:08 AM
Sky must have been reading this thread and listening. They just sent me an email "Sky Sport Now is more than just LIVE!"

Thanks

They've sent e-mails like that before. Only works on ipads/laptops/PC etc but not on the big TV. This aversion to casting to a big TV is to keep taking money from pubs etc.

mistaTea
12-07-2022, 12:28 PM
NEON price increase to $17.99/month from 15 August.

Annual sub will be $179.99 ($14.99/month)

airedale
12-07-2022, 01:27 PM
That seems expensive compared to the other streaming services.

Balance
12-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Got myself a few more SKT.

Just got this feeling that something is brewing in the background and do not want to wake up tomorrow morning and find a $3.50 takeover on table.

mistaTea
12-07-2022, 01:52 PM
Got myself a few more SKT.

Just got this feeling that something is brewing in the background and do not want to wake up tomorrow morning and find a $3.50 takeover on table.
Certainly seems odd that we still have not heard any more about the capital return.

mistaTea
12-07-2022, 01:53 PM
That seems expensive compared to the other streaming services.

I doubt many will cancel because they have to pay an extra 3 cents per day given the wide range of content on the platform.

It is still priced competitively.

LaserEyeKiwi
12-07-2022, 03:00 PM
Spark with an extra $900 million in the bank with the sale of 70% share of their tower network.

FTG
12-07-2022, 07:56 PM
Perhaps you need to sort out the tech at your end Silu?

We watched the AB's on SSN, on the Smart TV, via HDMI cable, streamed through the Laptop - no probs.

silu
13-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Perhaps you need to sort out the tech at your end Silu?

We watched the AB's on SSN, on the Smart TV, via HDMI cable, streamed through the Laptop - no probs.

OK did you use the replay function? I'll try it tonight again. Last time I tried 2 weeks ago I pulled up a replay of a game on the laptop but then when I plugged it into the TV with a HDMI cable it told me it was not supported. Maybe they changed it because I caused some stink which would be nice. I'm usually not someone to complain.

freebee
13-07-2022, 10:22 AM
https://announcements.nzx.com/detail/395302

Skybox delay explained now 'Spring' 2022 and very interesting Sky investor newsletter.

From the newsletter : "Our focus has since returned to confirming the best options for returning surplus capital to shareholders (in addition to the previously-announced return to paying dividends) and accelerating organic investment in the business to drive further growth"

Watchful
13-07-2022, 10:24 AM
OK did you use the replay function? I'll try it tonight again. Last time I tried 2 weeks ago I pulled up a replay of a game on the laptop but then when I plugged it into the TV with a HDMI cable it told me it was not supported. Maybe they changed it because I caused some stink which would be nice. I'm usually not someone to complain.

If it still doesn’t work for you, try a different HDMI cable. Some cables will trigger the copy-protection required by some content owners.

My parents have been watching SSN playback of the Tour de France chromecasted to the tv from tablet/phone with no issues. I’ve had no issues doing the same previously when visiting them. Olympics, Bathurst, etc.

Are you going via the Features button, then down to Replays, or via the … More, then scrolling back through the tv guide to select playback from last 24 hrs? We’ve always used the tv guide scrollback in the app, which may be the difference in our approaches?

snigmac
13-07-2022, 01:25 PM
It is pretty brave for Sky to indicate a roll out of the Sky box will start in September 2022 (given that it is only a month and a bit away..). I'm going to put my money that a full roll out won't be completed until much later.

mistaTea
13-07-2022, 02:56 PM
It is pretty brave for Sky to indicate a roll out of the Sky box will start in September 2022 (given that it is only a month and a bit away..). I'm going to put my money that a full roll out won't be completed until much later.

Agreed, full launch won’t be until closer to the end of the year at the earliest I reckon.

Main priority is to get the box out to VTV customers by September.

snigmac
13-07-2022, 04:45 PM
Agreed, full launch won’t be until closer to the end of the year at the earliest I reckon.

Main priority is to get the box out to VTV customers by September.

It is going to be really interesting whether Sky stick to returning the circa 85% of cash they have. There does not appear to be a mention of this in the information that was released.

mistaTea
13-07-2022, 04:51 PM
It is going to be really interesting whether Sky stick to returning the circa 85% of cash they have. There does not appear to be a mention of this in the information that was released.

I think they will return 60% of cash if we are lucky mate.

flyer
13-07-2022, 04:53 PM
better do something good as shareprice keeps going the wrong way.

bottomfeeder
13-07-2022, 07:20 PM
better do something good as shareprice keeps going the wrong way.

Returning surplus cash will not help the SP, much.

Declaring a dividend based on a high percentage of profit will boost the SP. Declaring a decent profit will boost the SP.

Any repayment of surplus cash will drop the SP by the amount of the capital return.

First repay all debt. Next, can the company utilise the cash to increase profit. If not, then pay the money to shareholders. Won't help the SP, but will not hurt it when the money is spent badly.

Baa_Baa
13-07-2022, 07:55 PM
Any repayment of surplus cash will drop the SP by the amount of the capital return.

I'll be reinvesting the dividend in more SKT so hopefully the dividend discounts the SP a bit. Such a gloomy bunch of shareholders, let's move on from the MW debacle and look to a bright future with the new Box rollout and growing customers, revenue and profits. Looking through it all and the turnaround strategy is working and this is a momentous event returning to paying shareholders a dividend.

If you're not interested in that, sell and move on. Imho.

mistaTea
13-07-2022, 07:55 PM
Returning surplus cash will not help the SP, much.

Declaring a dividend based on a high percentage of profit will boost the SP. Declaring a decent profit will boost the SP.

First repay all debt. Next, can the company utilise the cash to increase profit. If not, then pay the money to shareholders. Won't help the SP, but will not hurt it when the money is spent badly.

With an EV of only ~$250M right now I don’t believe the cash balance is given much weight in the SP.

God help us if I am wrong.

But, ultimately future Earning Power will drive the SP.

So returning capital (whether that be a tax free payment, share buyback or combination of both) should not see a corresponding drop in SP for Sky I don’t think.

A strong capital return backed up with a strong dividend should help drive the SP up from $400M to around $550M. That would be a 7% yield if they pay $40M divvy (which will be within the 50-80% FCF payout they advised).

Provided the market believes that dividend can be maintained, there should be good lift in SP.

FTG
13-07-2022, 09:40 PM

Not replay function. Live along with everyone else. But in saying that, I noticed that we had the ability to 'Stop' or 'Rewind' if wanted.

bottomfeeder
15-07-2022, 12:14 PM
Any idea on which date in August the results and capital disclosure will be.

mistaTea
15-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Any idea on which date in August the results and capital disclosure will be.

August 25.

Habits
16-07-2022, 03:57 PM
August 25.

Six long weeks lol

mistaTea
16-07-2022, 04:01 PM
From the newsletter…

“Our exceptional entertainment offering continues to perform strongly and we eagerly anticipate the launch of "House of the Dragon" next month, and - for those of you in New Zealand - we invite you to watch out for something special to celebrate this highly anticipated series during the All Blacks' third test at Sky Stadium on 16 July.”

Maybe Sophie will walk out at half time and announce a takeover by Comcast…

mistaTea
16-07-2022, 07:55 PM
From the newsletter…

“Our exceptional entertainment offering continues to perform strongly and we eagerly anticipate the launch of "House of the Dragon" next month, and - for those of you in New Zealand - we invite you to watch out for something special to celebrate this highly anticipated series during the All Blacks' third test at Sky Stadium on 16 July.”

Maybe Sophie will walk out at half time and announce a takeover by Comcast…

The 'something special' was some bad acting by Jeff Wilson followed by an unnecessary contribution to global warming...

Nice.

Old mate
16-07-2022, 09:13 PM
Yeah hard to even tell what that was about:ohmy:

Entrep
17-07-2022, 06:36 AM
The 'something special' was some bad acting by Jeff Wilson followed by an unnecessary contribution to global warming...

Nice.

"Can you hear that?"

Had me in stitches!

mistaTea
17-07-2022, 06:56 AM
"Can you hear that?"

Had me in stitches!

Yes, Jeff had me convinced that he really was…afraid…

Remember the gimmick they did at the one shareholder meeting with the rebranding? The little skit Martin did when he rubbed off the old brand on a window and then put the new brand up? It was pretty cheese dick.

Thankfully Sky don’t do TOO many cringeworthy things like this…but I’d prefer they whittled it down to zero!

airedale
17-07-2022, 10:24 AM
Page 58 of the Sundaý Star Times has an article on the extremely poor level of "service" which paying customers of Sky have to endure these days. About a month ago I was offered a return call in 10 ! Days. I am still waiting.

bottomfeeder
17-07-2022, 02:00 PM
Page 58 of the Sundaý Star Times has an article on the extremely poor level of "service" which paying customers of Sky have to endure these days. About a month ago I was offered a return call in 10 ! Days. I am still waiting.

Welcome to the new world order of things. Everyone is so worried about financial turmoil, inflation, war and Covid that service has gone by the board everywhere. It like its become acceptable to give poor service as long as your business brings in cash and is still functioning.

airedale
18-07-2022, 11:01 AM
I am not ready to sell my shares, but I am questioning the value I get for $1200 per annum and what else I could do with that money. Are SKY taking their customers fo granted?

mistaTea
18-07-2022, 12:43 PM
Are SKY taking their customers fo granted?

According to companies office Pooman is living it up in Dubai like a Sheik (https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/1579204?backurl=H4sIAAAAAAAAAEXLMQ7CMAyF4dtkYSgMjB ZigYEOSPQCVmIgoomD7RTl9hRRxPa%2FT3pdwRtp5zkVzHEuJR R%2F3z1BH21lNNIUNXJ2lC1aG1ohhX3fL%2FtiaFWPwrV8OWbP Ug7CCZYeGByGIKT6fy9wovZiCeDUUAzWbowpGmy2Tq8zhs9zwu wpnDHTCCaVXOJA8PM3SqK%2BecAAAAA%3D)...

I wonder if he even thinks about Sky Network Television for half an hour in any given month?

airedale
18-07-2022, 01:40 PM
Of the 6 directors only 3 are domiciled in NZ, the others are in the UK, UAE, and Oz. What does that tell you?

Old mate
18-07-2022, 02:22 PM
That's pretty crazy:scared:

silu
18-07-2022, 02:27 PM
Probably the moment Sky TV is providing great customer service is the day I'd offload my shares. They are cutting costs wherever possible is great for shareholders but bad for customers.

snigmac
18-07-2022, 02:47 PM
Sky may have won the Rugby men's RWC 2023 rights (NBR). Pretty sure they would have paid a arm and a leg for this.

ba9
18-07-2022, 06:37 PM
@snigmac. Update on hotcopper.

https://hotcopper.com.au/documentembed?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvSDYL4Aa5w RPwv%2BRy67FiGug%3D

mistaTea
18-07-2022, 07:14 PM
@snigmac. Update on hotcopper.

https://hotcopper.com.au/documentembed?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvSDYL4Aa5w RPwv%2BRy67FiGug%3D

Multi-year deal...will be interesting to see how any RWC tournaments Sky manage to lock up.

Looks like what is left of RugbyPass will be helpful - more generous RWC terms if we gift them RugbyPass.

Baa_Baa
18-07-2022, 08:08 PM
Multi-year deal...will be interesting to see how any RWC tournaments Sky manage to lock up.

Looks like what is left of RugbyPass will be helpful - more generous RWC terms if we gift them RugbyPass.

Quite a different tone here than on some other site Mistatea. As the longest serving shill for SKT here and arguably the most informed or insightful, it's a shame imo you've been lured into being a pill by the resident, ex-resident here, non-holder downramper who sold at breakeven trash talking the company. Good riddance him.

SKT's turnaround strategy is progressing very nicely, only a few weeks until the divi announcement signalling return to sustainable profit and payouts to shareholders, maybe a buy back, great deals being negotiated putting Spark Sport in their grave. How about lifting your spirits and look on the bright side, the recently negative no future for SKT except buyout Mistatea has, well, become a bit tedious and boring, imo.

I think Crackity, a very astute investor, summed it up pretty well.

nztx
18-07-2022, 10:12 PM
Probably the moment Sky TV is providing great customer service is the day I'd offload my shares. They are cutting costs wherever possible is great for shareholders but bad for customers.

but they are probably providing excellent top shelf service to Board Members wherever located around the globe .. why bother with anything more than low end mediocre for the poor serfs on receiving end here .. no-one on the Governors' deck would ever get to know .. :)

snigmac
19-07-2022, 09:24 AM
I suspect the RWC is what Sky will be spending the cash stash on. Overall this may be a positive investment for Sky.

JohnnyTheHorse
19-07-2022, 09:28 AM
Ultimately a big positive if they are able to leverage RugbyPass to lower the cash contribution. Smart thinking.

Sky have been clear that they now have strong analytics that feed into how much they are willing to bid for rights and that they will not overpay.

Still think something is probably cooking in the background...

airedale
19-07-2022, 11:18 AM
[

Quite a different tone here than on some other site Mistatea. As the longest serving shill for SKT here and arguably the most informed or insightful, it's a shame imo you've been lured into being a pill by the resident, ex-resident here, non-holder downramper who sold at breakeven trash talking the company. Good riddance him.

SKT's turnaround strategy is progressing very nicely, only a few weeks until the divi announcement signalling return to sustainable profit and payouts to shareholders, maybe a buy back, great deals being negotiated putting Spark Sport in their grave. How about lifting your spirits and look on the bright side, the recently negative no future for SKT except buyout Mistatea has, well, become a bit tedious and boring, imo.

I think Crackity, a very astute investor, summed it up pretty well.
Does Crackity post on this forum?

mistaTea
19-07-2022, 11:37 AM
Does Crackity post on this forum?

He was banned on ST some time ago (not sure what for).

He is a knowledgable chap for sure.

JohnnyTheHorse
20-07-2022, 09:08 AM
Not directly related, but something which I believe has added to poor sentiment on the sector. Netflix up 12% (inc after hours) on subscriber loss reducing and a forecast return to growth. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/19/netflix-nflx-earnings-q2-2022.html

Also not directly related, but if it's true that Discovery didn't participate in a RWC bid, then this indicates Spark didn't either. Has Spark finally realised there's no money to be made competing against Sky? More money to be made just clipping the ticket with a partnership agreement?

mistaTea
20-07-2022, 09:13 AM
Also not directly related, but if it's true that Discovery didn't participate in a RWC bid, then this indicates Spark didn't either. Has Spark finally realised there's no money to be made competing against Sky? More money to be made just clipping the ticket with a partnership agreement?

I expect so. They have been very quiet about Spark Sport for over a year now.

Highly likely they are looking for an exit.

Better to just have a wholesale deal for SSN and keep out of the messy business of bidding for content.

mistaTea
20-07-2022, 10:35 AM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/129321437/sky-tv-could-sell-rugbypass-to-world-rugby

Almost-confused
23-07-2022, 06:58 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/129270769/sky-admits-customer-service-falling-short-as-covid-and-tight-labour-market-bite

Seems like alot of money being left on the table from SKYs inability to pick up the phone...

snigmac
23-07-2022, 09:00 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/129270769/sky-admits-customer-service-falling-short-as-covid-and-tight-labour-market-bite

Seems like alot of money being left on the table from SKYs inability to pick up the phone...

On a bright note. It looks like there is still lot of demand for Skys satellite and other services. It's unfortunate that the demand is being met by poor customer service. On a brighter note, I don't think there is anywhere else for the customers to go 🤔.

airedale
25-07-2022, 10:48 AM
SKT showing some strength this morning. Up 4 cents on 50,000 shares traded.

Habits
25-07-2022, 12:56 PM

Am sick and tired of excuses being wheeled out by all and sundry. Including by govt who are doing their best keeping us screwed down.

Yesterday at mass 99 percent are needlessly wearing masks because they have to. We all sit facing one direction, yet go to a nightclub and masks are not required but anything goes.

If you're sick wear a mask or if you're fearful wear a mask

mistaTea
25-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Am sick and tired of excuses being wheeled out by all and sundry. Including by govt who are doing their best keeping us screwed down.

Yesterday at mass 99 percent are needlessly wearing masks because they have to. We all sit facing one direction, yet go to a nightclub and masks are not required but anything goes.

If you're sick wear a mask or if you're fearful wear a mask

Oh yes, you can go to a nightclub without a mask and stand shoulder to shoulder with everyone else, drunk and ‘yahooing’ all night…maybe even suck face with a perfect stranger… and that is A-OK…

But if you nip into your local supermarket to grab a litre of milk then Heaven help you if you don’t have a mask on!

The mask rules in NZ are just so asinine.

Habits
25-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Oh yes, you can go to a nightclub without a mask and stand shoulder to shoulder with everyone else, drunk and ‘yahooing’ all night…maybe even suck face with a perfect stranger… and that is A-OK…

But if you nip into your local supermarket to grab a litre of milk then Heaven help you if you don’t have a mask on!

Yes pretty stupid. You can get a mask exemption with a quick online application and no need to specify why you need it.

uravgtrader
27-07-2022, 07:42 PM
Anyone know what the latest viewership numbers are on Sky Sat TV vs Sky Sport Now app?

mistaTea
28-07-2022, 09:29 AM
https://9to5mac.com/2022/07/27/sky-go-apple-tv/

Hopefully NZ follow too.

At the moment you would still need to have a STB subscription to use Sky GO...but Apple TV lovers would still appreciate having the app on the box too.

I also anticipate that it is just a matter of time before Sky GO is made available as a stand-alone produce. A way to stream traditional Sky bundles without the MySky fee.

Having Chromecast + AppleTV would cover the streaming needs of the vast majority without having to go through the expense of having the app added to Smart TV's.

silu
31-07-2022, 07:38 AM
Pleased to report that for the start of the PL now their SkySportsNow TV app allows for 24hr replay function. Happy as Larry that I can watch the FA Community Shield on demand without any hassle on the big TV over breakfast this morning.

LaserEyeKiwi
31-07-2022, 11:33 AM

supermarkets are a necessity - everyone needs food - whereas entertainment / dining etc are purely optional activities.

mistaTea
31-07-2022, 11:49 AM
supermarkets are a necessity - everyone needs food - whereas entertainment / dining etc are purely optional activities.

Exactly mate, so the very idea that you would stop someone from buying something as essential as food because they don’t have a piece of cloth on their face is absurd.

But we digress.

Less than 4 weeks to go…

freebee
31-07-2022, 12:00 PM
Not long to go now, only 25 days till Sophie confirms details on the company's capital management plan. Will the SP lift in anticipation of a decent dividend/return? or is it already priced in as it has been well known for months that there will be some sort of return to shareholders or will something else be announced ?

https://announcements.nzx.com/detail/396146

mistaTea
31-07-2022, 02:17 PM
The Many Saints of Newark is on Sky Movies and NEON

Prequel to Sopranos and it has Jon Bernthal in it.

My life is complete again…

LaserEyeKiwi
31-07-2022, 07:35 PM
Exactly mate, so the very idea that you would stop someone from buying something as essential as food because they don’t have a piece of cloth on their face is absurd.

But we digress.

Less than 4 weeks to go…

I think we talking past each other a bit here. My point was even those that are high risk or immunocompromised, or have family members who are, need to go to the supermarket - so I agree with enforcing the mask policy for everyone entering a supermarket.

Whereas those at high risk / immunocompromised do not have any need to go to a dining / entertainment establishment so it is appropriate that mask rules are more relaxed or removed entirely in those locations.

but hey, happy to agree to disagree on that topic, we are hear to talk investments after all.

mistaTea
01-08-2022, 10:44 AM
As much as I try to give Sky the benefit of the doubt for the buyback delay, it has been pointed out to me by more than a few that it is unlikely anything is going on behind the scenes.

So, if we assume that is correct (a safe bet, usually) then we should consider dates and possibilities.

August 25 - the key date that we find out how much money Sky are giving shareholders, and in what form.

They tend to pay dividends in mid September - on a Friday. So that would be 16 September.

In fact, the last time Sky TV paid a dividend (15 March 2019) was the same day the lunatic Brenton Tarrant murdered worshipers. Let us hope for more positivity on the date of Sky's dividend resumption.

So 24 days until we find out what Sky are doing, and 46 days until we get paid.

I have a feeling that the option they go for will be neither bearish nor bullish. Some pressure to throw shareholders a decent bone perhaps, but I doubt they are going to empty the till.

Perhaps something like:

$30M dividend (likely an amount that can be sustained)
$15M special dividend
$30M on market buyback

So a total distribution over time of $75M. That leaves them with $75M or so on the books as at 30 June 2022, with the cash pile still growing.

I think they could easily afford to be much more generous than this - maybe a larger special dividend, but they probably won't be.

With a little luck, they won't be stingier than what I have outlined (unless they can demonstrate a very good reason for still requiring so much cash).

snigmac
03-08-2022, 04:30 PM
Im curious about why, after the initial news of securing RWC rights, that follow up news has not been released. I wonder how much Sky will have to pay for these rights 🤔

Habits
04-08-2022, 07:25 AM
Im curious about why, after the initial news of securing RWC rights, that follow up news has not been released. I wonder how much Sky will have to pay for these rights 🤔

Are those numbers released usually... commercial sensitivity I guess

Balance
04-08-2022, 08:18 AM
Are those numbers released usually... commercial sensitivity I guess

They are not released. Spark was rumoured to pay $12m for the 2019 rights and what a disaster it turned out for Spark!

Plus, the rights to the RWC have not been decided yet.

Balance
04-08-2022, 08:53 AM

You really need to do some proper research before posting or investing in stocks like SKT.

SKT was never going to overbid on the RWC - it did not in 2019 and was proven right when Spark blew itself up.

Sideshow Bob
04-08-2022, 08:59 AM
You really need to do some proper research before posting or investing in stocks like SKT.

SKT was never going to overbid on the RWC - it did not in 2019 and was proven right when Spark blew itself up.

The way the AB's are going, might well be a very good strategy.....;) Going to be tough to get past the quarters.

Balance
04-08-2022, 09:02 AM
The way the AB's are going, might well be a very good strategy.....;) Going to be tough to get past the quarters.

Best thing to happen will be resounding losses in South Africa.

Best proof that the continuity coaching strategy is failing and relegating the ABs to second tier players.

snigmac
04-08-2022, 09:09 AM

I'm currently on the side with a healthy profit from SKT. But yes, agreed, thorough DD is required, before looking to buy SKT :).

I'm not sure if I would put it past the board to overspend shareholder $.

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 09:35 AM
I'm currently on the side with a healthy profit from SKT. But yes, agreed, thorough DD is required, before looking to buy SKT :).

I'm not sure if I would put it past the board to overspend shareholder $.

Only 3 weeks to go to find out what kinds of rewards The Board have in store for their owners.

A real opportunity for them to suprise and delight given recent events, so let's see.

Not long to wait.

It also happens to be my toddlers Birthday. The quality of his gift is dependent on Bowman and the team...

winner69
04-08-2022, 09:41 AM
Only 3 weeks to go to find out what kinds of rewards The Board have in store for their owners.

A real opportunity for them to suprise and delight given recent events, so let's see.

Not long to wait.

It also happens to be my toddlers Birthday. The quality of his gift is dependent on Bowman and the team...

Rewards …..I’m getting FREE tickets to the rugby …Wellington v BOP ……won’t use them but they are free ….and can’t even find anybody who wants then

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 10:00 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/premier-league-chief-spills-beans-on-premflix-global-streaming-service/N5IV6SYGPEJYYWW34DYHYBEUKM/

Popeye
04-08-2022, 10:13 AM
This is a share that requires great patience. When I first bought in several years back, I thought it was somewhat oversold relative to its strong and stable cash generation. And even against the negative headwinds of changing demographics and technology, it would have time to adapt while being able to fund dividends and reinvestment. My did I underestimate the power of negative sentiment towards this stock, seemingly fueled by some erratic management and board behaviour.

Then just when it looked like Sky had put the the bad old days behind them and started concentrating on a sensible stripped down strategy with a new focused management, they went and almost embarked on a hare-brained merger that baffled pretty much everyone but them! It seems they called it off only reluctantly!

I therefore agree wholeheartedly with all the other posters that it is impossible to trust Sky management due to the chance that they will randomly do dumb stuff. It is like they need a touchstone principle like Googles "Dont be evil", however in their case it would be "Dont do anything stupid". As Barak Obama once said "Dont underestimate Joe's ability to ***k things up", that pretty much sums up the nervousness about Sky management...

So here is hoping the upcoming decisions on return of capital and dividends are a continuation of a calm, methodical and logical approach. And we can return to trusting that management are focused on executing a transparent strategy bit by bit, and not trying to hit home runs (boring is good).

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 11:13 AM
Then just when it looked like Sky had put the the bad old days behind them and started concentrating on a sensible stripped down strategy with a new focused management, they went and almost embarked on a hare-brained merger that baffled pretty much everyone but them! It seems they called it off only reluctantly!

Yes, very reluctantly. Plans foiled by those pesky things called 'shareholders'.

Management will take to the grave that pursuing MW was the right call. I actually do agree with them that they should explore uses for the funds before returning capital to shareholders. Ideally, we only want cash returned (be it buybacks or cash distribution) if Sky cannot use the money to generate a superior ROIC, future proof the business etc.

That very good principle doesn't mean you rush out and buy any old thing for the sake of using the cash. Paying any amount of money for a debt-riddled MW was always going to be a tough sell - and some of the numbers touted by various media outlets was truly eye watering!

Anyway, commonsense did prevai in the end - and now we just want to move forward. Hopefully the Board will be inclided to be a little more generous than they otherwise would have to quall disgrunted shareholders.

It is my understanding that The Board now have Sophie on a very tight leash.

It will also be interesting to see how sharehoklders vote with regards to the reappointment of Chairman Philip Bowman and Joan Withers. If their dividend and capital return is too light, it may generate another shareholder revolt.

Popeye
04-08-2022, 11:58 AM
The Board are complicit really, they clearly let management go a long way down the path of doing that deal. So they bought management's explanation that this was a good use of company funds for all the reasons you have listed. Normally it is the Board's job to hold back management from rushing off and doing stupid stuff, but they were MIA on this one.

So for my money, the Board entirely failed in their core duty. They were just lucky a public-minded soul had the balls to leak the crazy plan in the nick of time. A Board that does not act as the adults in the room really needs to go, their judgment cannot be trusted.

Yes, very reluctantly. Plans foiled by those pesky things called 'shareholders'.

Management will take to the grave that pursuing MW was the right call. I actually do agree with them that they should explore uses for the funds before returning capital to shareholders. Ideally, we only want cash returned (be it buybacks or cash distribution) if Sky cannot use the money to generate a superior ROIC, future proof the business etc.

That very good principle doesn't mean you rush out and buy any old thing for the sake of using the cash. Paying any amount of money for a debt-riddled MW was always going to be a tough sell - and some of the numbers touted by various media outlets was truly eye watering!

Anyway, commonsense did prevai in the end - and now we just want to move forward. Hopefully the Board will be inclided to be a little more generous than they otherwise would have to quall disgrunted shareholders.

It is my understanding that The Board now have Sophie on a very tight leash.

It will also be interesting to see how sharehoklders vote with regards to the reappointment of Chairman Philip Bowman and Joan Withers. If their dividend and capital return is too light, it may generate another shareholder revolt.

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 12:49 PM
The Board are complicit really, they clearly let management go a long way down the path of doing that deal. So they bought management's explanation that this was a good use of company funds for all the reasons you have listed. Normally it is the Board's job to hold back management from rushing off and doing stupid stuff, but they were MIA on this one.

So for my money, the Board entirely failed in their core duty. They were just lucky a public-minded soul had the balls to leak the crazy plan in the nick of time. A Board that does not act as the adults in the room really needs to go, their judgment cannot be trusted.

Yes, agreed 100%

Which is why I think the Board will need to be more generous than they would like - to try to patch things up.

However, like so many of my musings...that is probably just wishful thinking.

Entrep
04-08-2022, 12:57 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/BFYLNwlsSNtcc/giphy.gif

This is Sky we're talking about...

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 02:02 PM
Huge volume today?

1.45M shares traded so far.

Balance
04-08-2022, 02:04 PM
Huge volume today?

1.45M shares traded so far.

Takeover announcement soon?

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 02:13 PM

You big tease, you!

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 02:15 PM

Christ, 1.46M now.

Might need to go to the other site so that Ogg can read the tea leaves for us.

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 02:25 PM
Very large off market trade today. Someone looking forward to something.

Baa_Baa
04-08-2022, 02:29 PM
Very large off market trade today. Someone looking forward to something.

There's two sides to a trade. One is happy to buy a big chuck and the other is happy to exchange them for the money.

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 02:45 PM
There's two sides to a trade. One is happy to buy a big chuck and the other is happy to exchange them for the money.

Yes absolutely.

So the only thing to ponder is if the person on the buy side has an 'inkling' of something good developing soon. Whether that be fat dividends, or something else.

JohnnyTheHorse
04-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Enacting the "wait for the large crossing in a downtrend and then buy" strategy in my trading account. Limited position size though given my exposure in long term account.

Entrep
04-08-2022, 02:54 PM
Up on high volume = good
Down on high volume = bad

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 03:19 PM
Up on high volume = good
Down on high volume = bad

Well, then this must indeed be a…good Omen.

Balance
04-08-2022, 03:37 PM
You big tease, you!

You know the drill - wake up and deal has been done. No chance to get set unless you are already set in the stock.

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 03:57 PM
You know the drill - wake up and deal has been done. No chance to get set unless you are already set in the stock.

Best case scenario is a deal is being worked out, and that explains delaying capital return announcements etc.

But I dare not hope.

How many times over the last two years have we had this speculation? Never comes to anything.

Baa_Baa
04-08-2022, 04:12 PM
Yes absolutely.

So the only thing to ponder is if the person on the buy side has an 'inkling' of something good developing soon. Whether that be fat dividends, or something else.

That's a pointless exercise imo, could as easily 'ponder if the person on the sell side has an 'inkling' of something bad developing soon. Whether that be skinny dividends, or something else'. Might be Sophie selling out, or buying a million more. See, a pointless exercise because, you'll never know unless there's an SPH notice or an insider declaration, by then it's too late anyway.

Baa_Baa
04-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Best case scenario is a deal is being worked out, and that explains delaying capital return announcements etc.

Did they say there will be a capital return? Did they say they would announce anything before the Results on 25th August? Nature Abhors vacuum, around here that vacuum gets filled with speculation. The dialogue on this thread over the past year would make a great
'whodunnit' script for a movie.

mistaTea
04-08-2022, 04:33 PM
Did they say there will be a capital return?

Yes, they did.

Did they say they would announce anything before the Results on 25th August?

No, but until recently they left the door wide open to an announcement prior to August 25. A lot of people assumed an announcement was imminent after MW deal collapsed as they had no need for the cash.

Nature Abhors vacuum, around here that vacuum gets filled with speculation. The dialogue on this thread over the past year would make a great
'whodunnit' script for a movie.

Very true. Lots of speculation about a Sky TV takeover...but so far, little appetite from those who have the cash to do it.

bottomfeeder
05-08-2022, 10:11 AM
I think the SP has started to run in the lead up to the announcement. I would have thought it would have started earlier, from the date of dropping the MW debacle. Some people just have the required patience to make money.

nztx
05-08-2022, 11:11 PM

But I dare not hope.

How many times over the last two years have we had this speculation? Never comes to anything.

must still be some time left to pursue a few more multibaggers elsewhere, before the SKY balloon goes up ? :)

hey_homes
07-08-2022, 01:48 PM
Announcing that they have secured the RWC rights?

mistaTea
07-08-2022, 02:33 PM
Announcing that they have secured the RWC rights?

Will be interesting to see how RugbyPass fits into their deal.

AB’s just a shambles right now.

SilverLake must be wondering if they overpaid for brand All Blacks…

mistaTea
07-08-2022, 02:40 PM
I see the US-China tensions are threatening a fresh wave of chip shortages.

Hopefully won’t affect our already delayed new STB.

silu
08-08-2022, 08:49 AM
Please to announce that Sky Sports Now has come through for the PL fan. Replays worked well (although I wish they had a function to start the replay while the game is still being played) and the 10-15min highlight packages were up fairly quickly. The difference in quality of watching the game live or by replay is quite striking though.

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 08:53 AM
Please to announce that Sky Sports Now has come through for the PL fan. Replays worked well (although I wish they had a function to start the replay while the game is still being played) and the 10-15min highlight packages were up fairly quickly. The difference in quality of watching the game live or by replay is quite striking though.

As in, the picture quality is a lot better when watching On Demand instead of live?

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 09:19 AM
Looks like it will be a strong Open.

What say you Stallion?

What do the tea leaves have in store for us this week?

winner69
08-08-2022, 09:23 AM
Looks like it will be a strong Open.

What say you Stallion?

What do the tea leaves have in store for us this week?

Nothing like a strong open to the week ….good sign that is

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 09:26 AM

Yes, my interpretation was automatically that a takeover is imminent...or at least a SP well in excess of $3/share...

But, I have not been able to master the use of the palintir yet...and so I seek reassurances from Stallion...

JohnnyTheHorse
08-08-2022, 09:37 AM
242 needs to break to get us out of this equilibrium and mark a bottom.

Right, back to this fresh powder.

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 09:40 AM

I knew there would be a precise number we had to hit before all would be ok :t_up:

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 10:10 AM

Looks like we will hit $2.42 today.

From there...what exactly are you guaranteeing me Stallion? $3/share by August 24?

silu
08-08-2022, 10:34 AM
As in, the picture quality is a lot better when watching On Demand instead of live?

Yes I meant the picture quality. That's where Spark Sport always shone brightly. Their picture quality was always superb which is probably due to them being a telco and having lots of bandwith (or whatever the technical term for it is).

RTM
08-08-2022, 11:55 AM
Yes I meant the picture quality. That's where Spark Sport always shone brightly. Their picture quality was always superb which is probably due to them being a telco and having lots of bandwith (or whatever the technical term for it is).

I had a chat to my son who lives in the US East COast. Excellent fast internet services.
He says that their picture quality of live streaming of sports at his house is poor as well....maybe he compares it to cable ? Not sure.
This cheered me up a bit...as I had been blaming SKY. But apparently not.
When the new set top box arrives...I might try that for a change and see what the comparison is like...wonder what the cost differential might be ?
Some of the quality of the Commonwealth Games coverage has been especially hard on the eyes to watch. And it seems that some movements are simply missing,
I guess one gets what one pays for...I have enjoyed the games way more than I thought I would.

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 12:01 PM
I had a chat to my son who lives in the US East COast. Excellent fast internet services.
He says that their picture quality of live streaming of sports at his house is poor as well....maybe he compares it to cable ? Not sure.
When the new set top box arrives...I might try that for a change and see what the comparison is like...wonder what the cost differential might be ?
Some of the quality of the Commonwealth Games coverage has been especially hard on the eyes to watch. And it seems that some movements are simply missing,
I guess one gets what one pays for...I have enjoyed the games way more than I thought I would.

Yes I am happy with my satellite feed for live sport.

The difference is incredible.

silu
08-08-2022, 12:34 PM

Thanks for sharing. Yeah I was wondering what Spark Sports secret is then. Their live feed is so good looking no matter if it was rugby in NZ or cricket in England. Crisp and smooth pictures that pop in high def.

sb9
08-08-2022, 01:37 PM
Bid side fully loaded for possible breakout soon...

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 01:44 PM
Bid side fully loaded for possible breakout soon...

missusTea might have to wear those crotchless panties I bought her soon if this carries on...

sb9
08-08-2022, 01:50 PM
missusTea might have to wear those crotchless panties I bought her soon if this carries on...

Oh dear :p

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 01:50 PM

$2.42 has broken, Stallion...

RTM
08-08-2022, 01:58 PM
Thanks for sharing. Yeah I was wondering what Spark Sports secret is then. Their live feed is so good looking no matter if it was rugby in NZ or cricket in England. Crisp and smooth pictures that pop in high def.

I have not had SS since we changed to fibre. So can’t comment. My memory of it when I did have it on VDSL….was that while the picture was excellent…movement, e.g. a tennis ball, was not as smooth and easy on the eye as the satellite picture, I had both at the time for a while. I put it down to a bit of a speed issue with copper….but now, not so sure as I think fibre is similar. This is backed up by son in USA.

Mr T says satellite is excellent.

Balance
08-08-2022, 02:41 PM
$2.42 has broken, Stallion...

Boom - $2.47. Someone is reading the charts and getting way too excited.

Should come back to $2.42 by end of day imo.

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 02:45 PM
I have not had SS since we changed to fibre. So can’t comment. My memory of it when I did have it on VDSL….was that while the picture was excellent…movement, e.g. a tennis ball, was not as smooth and easy on the eye as the satellite picture, I had both at the time for a while. I put it down to a bit of a speed issue with copper….but now, not so sure as I think fibre is similar. This is backed up by son in USA.

Mr T says satellite is excellent.

Satellite far superior to broadband when it comes to live sport.

No doubt about it.

Satellite also gives you the only truly ‘live’ experience. If you watch on Spark sport, sky sport now or sky GO the picture you see is usually delayed for around a minute.

Not a big deal if you don’t have friends who have satellite texting you during the match and you stay away from media.

Otherwise you can get spoilers 30 seconds or so before you see it happen.

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 02:48 PM
Boom - $2.47. Someone is reading the charts and getting way too excited.

Should come back to $2.42 by end of day imo.

If it hits $2.50 I think missusTea is gonna twerk tonight.

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 03:34 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/vodafone-tv-gets-stay-of-execution/LAF4V5XOVEHD6OJHW5AFADX6NA/

Some breathing room from VTV so we can offer our new Box.

Only delayed to October 30, so that is confirmation that the launch of the new Sky Box is now imminent I think.

Marilyn Munroe
08-08-2022, 03:53 PM
Picture quality varies by format and delivery method.

Both SKY and Freeview use the Optus D1 satellite which offers both a lower quality SD format or at the broadcasts option their version of HD. Check with SKY as to whether a particular channel is delivered in HD format.

Freeview terrestrial broadcasts in the HD H.264 format which is miles better than Freeview satellite. Freeview terrestrial reception in marginal areas is often flaky. In these areas I recommend you persist in seeking a good terrestrial reception as the quality is better. You may need to get an external aerial installed by a specialist installer.

Web video clients use a baffling array of video standards meaning if you video client doesn't support the standard, tough luck. Most good quality video clients are net speed aware and are capable of switching to a lower quality if bandwidth is not sufficient.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

PS. Pay per view providers often encrypt their output. The reason for a poor viewing experience may be your client chugging decrypting the feed.

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 05:25 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/a-comeback-by-a-long-time-rival-as-2degrees-reveals-new-board/EOOLQ6M7RX3UZWDVNHILM73Q3U/

Stanners can tell Mark Callander how to merge with Sky! :t_up:

Actually, on second thought...maybe MC shouldn't take any advice from him regarding a Sky merger given the merger failed under Stanners! :eek2:

mistaTea
08-08-2022, 08:41 PM
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/lockerroom/nz-netball-fans-left-wanting-by-games-tv-feed?amp=1

More kudos to sky.

Their sport product in general is very very good.

nztx
09-08-2022, 03:50 AM
How's our SKT Dividend / Cap Return merger going ? ;)

mistaTea
09-08-2022, 08:53 AM

Looks like we are in for another strong open w69.

This must certainly portend that we all become billionaires before long by holding SKT.

Stallion, what say you?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7f/86/3f/7f863f1df8eb4c5c702d65e274670426.gif

mistaTea
09-08-2022, 01:00 PM
Looks like we are in for another strong open w69.

This must certainly portend that we all become billionaires before long by holding SKT.

Stallion, what say you?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7f/86/3f/7f863f1df8eb4c5c702d65e274670426.gif

$2.48.

Christ my technical analysis truly is...amazing...

bottomfeeder
09-08-2022, 01:02 PM
2.80 by the middle of next week.

Habits
09-08-2022, 03:28 PM
https://youtu.be/q25aJ6UNvhw

500sl Mercedes, box at eden park, 80 foot yacht and place on the harbour.

"She's a hard road finding the perfect company to invest in boy. Still, no hurry eh."

Though it is getting closer

mistaTea
09-08-2022, 05:45 PM
Just nutsville that the quoted value of my Sky shares have moved in the order of $100K in just a few days.

Baa_Baa
09-08-2022, 06:26 PM
Just nutsville that the quoted value of my Sky shares have moved in the order of $100K in just a few days.

Hard to describe the feeling isn't it, when one has been a promoter and heavily invested for a long time, most of it under water, then the market finally says .. you were right. Suck it up, enjoy, take some profits. Sky's turnaround is happening. Only a few days now until results and capital distribution. Give yourself a break and a pat on the back.

mistaTea
09-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Hard to describe the feeling isn't it, when one has been a promoter and heavily invested for a long time, most of it under water, then the market finally says .. you were right. Suck it up, enjoy, take some profits. Sky's turnaround is happening. Only a few days now until results and capital distribution. Give yourself a break and a pat on the back.

Amen to that.

DeathByWarriors
10-08-2022, 08:55 AM

We've been here before though. I'm just waiting to see what new and interesting way they're going to screw it all up this time.

cyclist
10-08-2022, 09:15 AM
We've been here before though. I'm just waiting to see what new and interesting way they're going to screw it all up this time.

Sadly, its hard not to share that sentiment! Thrice bitten .... so far.

Balance
10-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Sadly, its hard not to share that sentiment! Thrice bitten .... so far.

Trust you are not in the stock then.

cyclist
10-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Trust you are not in the stock then.

Wouldn't be bitten if I didn't hold. Comfortably in the green, but that doesn't mean they haven't thoroughly disappointed us at times along the journey.

silu
10-08-2022, 09:58 AM
Wondering how the market will react to the HBO Max news?

mistaTea
10-08-2022, 10:21 AM
Wondering how the market will react to the HBO Max news?

I assume you are referring to this?

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/10-08-2022/a-streaming-service-full-of-hbo-content-is-coming-whether-sky-likes-it-or-not

Just speculation that Warner will cut Sky out of the equation altogether.

We renewed and expanded our deal with Warner just last year: https://www.nzx.com/announcements/378056

8 months before that we renewed with Discovery on a co-exclusive basis: https://www.nzx.com/announcements/364535

Sky will have access to HBO/Discovery content for years to come...and it is a big assumption that Warner-Discovery will cut Sky TV out of the equation altogether in years to come when the current deals expire.

sb9
10-08-2022, 11:29 AM

Yep, very decent chance as long as Pooman is at the helm...

mistaTea
10-08-2022, 12:49 PM
Yep, very decent chance as long as Pooman is at the helm...

Yes, but we just hit $2.51 I see.

In the meantime let’s enjoy “dem gainz”.

I am hopeful that Bowman will do the right thing on August 25 because he is up for re-election at the AGM.

So is Joan.

I am sure the instos have put some pressure on the board.

mistaTea
10-08-2022, 01:02 PM
$900K off market trade.

Good to see some optimism from the bigger boys.

Though, as has also been pointed out...the other side of that trade is another large holder just as keen to exit at $2.50.

Balance
10-08-2022, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't be bitten if I didn't hold. Comfortably in the green, but that doesn't mean they haven't thoroughly disappointed us at times along the journey.

You know the old saying :

Once bitten, twice shy.

Twice bitten, never again!

mistaTea
10-08-2022, 01:10 PM
You know the old saying :

Once bitten, twice shy.

Twice bitten, never again!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...shame on me​...

airedale
10-08-2022, 02:10 PM
High volumes this week with a no downward effect on price. There is distribution and consolidation going on before the next leg up?

sb9
10-08-2022, 02:53 PM
$900K off market trade.

Good to see some optimism from the bigger boys.

Though, as has also been pointed out...the other side of that trade is another large holder just as keen to exit at $2.50.

Some decent volume going through around 2.50 mark currently. Once consolidated here, next leg upto 3 mark I guess.

mistaTea
10-08-2022, 03:24 PM
Some decent volume going through around 2.50 mark currently. Once consolidated here, next leg upto 3 mark I guess.

I guess one thing is clear now...

Dividend/cap return was not fully priced in at market cap = $400M :t_up:

3mman
10-08-2022, 05:10 PM
Can anyone help with details of a good, safe broker to move some SKT volume. Been dealing with ASB securities and they drive me nuts with their rules and regulations on trading decent numbers. They are fine to deal with for 1000 shares but hopeless when it’s a 100,000. Thanks in advance.

Almost-confused
10-08-2022, 07:29 PM
Jarden Direct

Baa_Baa
10-08-2022, 08:07 PM
Can anyone help with details of a good, safe broker to move some SKT volume. Been dealing with ASB securities and they drive me nuts with their rules and regulations on trading decent numbers. They are fine to deal with for 1000 shares but hopeless when it’s a 100,000. Thanks in advance.

Craigs, actually any of them. You want to move volume, any of the full service brokers will get you a better deal than any of the online platforms, it's not just ASB Sec. Negotiate the fees.

Habits
11-08-2022, 07:58 AM

Just drip feed 10k or 20k at a time through ASB sec. Going to a different brokerage would involve completing their AML signup procedure.

Balance
11-08-2022, 08:42 AM

Advantage of a full service broker could be that they can cross a big line of stock to another and get you a better price - especially when a stock is on the way down. You pay more but that can be more than offset by a better price.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 09:10 AM
Just drip feed 10k or 20k at a time through ASB sec. Going to a different brokerage would involve completing their AML signup procedure.

I use ASB sec and have only had one occassion in the past when I needed to sell in volume.

Rather than use their online portal I rang them to do it - and I asked them to sell at market price, but drip feed it. Also negotiated their commission down from 0.3% to 0.2%.

Worked out fine for me in that instance.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 09:15 AM
Should be another strong open today...with exactly two weeks to go...

I hope the WR deal is announced before the FY results. If the deal is favourable, good be some timely 'good news' heading into the Big Reveal...

silu
11-08-2022, 09:30 AM
Fwiw I'm going to buy more today based on nothing more that I met some friends last night and 2 out of 3 are coming back to Sky Sports after a long hiatus because of PL football.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 09:51 AM
Fwiw I'm going to buy more today based on nothing more that I met some friends last night and 2 out of 3 are coming back to Sky Sports after a long hiatus because of PL football.

Well, the open looks to be very strong today...so perhaps a number of others are drawing a similar conclusion to yourself.

Habits
11-08-2022, 09:57 AM
I use ASB sec and have only had one occassion in the past when I needed to sell in volume.

Rather than use their online portal I rang them to do it - and I asked them to sell at market price, but drip feed it. Also negotiated their commission down from 0.3% to 0.2%.

Worked out fine for me in that instance.

Mr T psst, 0.2 is my standard rate.

LaserEyeKiwi
11-08-2022, 11:51 AM
The Spinoff outlining that HBOMax will launch here in 2024, after Skys Content agreement ends next year:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/10-08-2022/a-streaming-service-full-of-hbo-content-is-coming-whether-sky-likes-it-or-not

EDIT: apologies didn't see this was already posted earlier.

LaserEyeKiwi
11-08-2022, 11:52 AM
I assume you are referring to this?

Just speculation that Warner will cut Sky out of the equation altogether.

We renewed and expanded our deal with Warner just last year: https://www.nzx.com/announcements/378056

8 months before that we renewed with Discovery on a co-exclusive basis: https://www.nzx.com/announcements/364535

Sky will have access to HBO/Discovery content for years to come...and it is a big assumption that Warner-Discovery will cut Sky TV out of the equation altogether in years to come when the current deals expire.

Spinoff claims that the HBO deal ends next year.

Sky statement in response that it has other content is very “weak sauce”:

Yes, HBO has some terrific shows, but Sky is a curator of fantastic entertainment, with over 530 different content partnerships in place to deliver premium content to our customers. Recent hits from studios other than HBO include The Handmaid’s Tale, Love Island, Yellowjackets and Yellowstone.”

Quantitative Easing
11-08-2022, 11:59 AM
The Spinoff outlining that HBOMax will launch here in 2024, after Skys Content agreement ends next year:

EDIT: apologies didn't see this was already posted earlier.

Aren't they sponsored by Spark?

silu
11-08-2022, 12:05 PM
Aren't they sponsored by Spark?

Meaning a media outlet would write up stuff to appease their sponsor?

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 12:23 PM
Spinoff claims that the HBO deal ends next year.

Sky statement in response that it has other content is very “weak sauce”:

Yes, HBO has some terrific shows, but Sky is a curator of fantastic entertainment, with over 530 different content partnerships in place to deliver premium content to our customers. Recent hits from studios other than HBO include The Handmaid’s Tale, Love Island, Yellowjackets and Yellowstone.”

You forgot the first bit of the quote, which is crucial.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Sky TV said: “Sky has deep, long term and multifaceted partnerships with both of the now merged entities. Our current deal with Warner Bros. Discovery gives us exclusive access to HBO content in New Zealand and there are plenty of conversations to be had before New Zealand’s future content deals are determined. Yes, HBO has some terrific shows, but Sky is a curator of fantastic entertainment, with over 530 different content partnerships in place to deliver premium content to our customers. Recent hits from studios other than HBO include The Handmaid’s Tale, Love Island, Yellowjackets and Yellowstone.”

Sky have a long standing and deep relationship with these guys - so it is a big call to assume that the outcome will definitely be that Sky is cut out of the equation altogether. I am not saying it is not possible, just pointing out that there is also a very good chance (if not a probability​) Sky maintain those relationships. As I say, WD-Disc would need to anticipate some pretty large sub numbers willing to pay them month in and month out to justify killing the sky deal.

Given we renewed an expanded exclusive HBO deal just last year, I would be surprised if it ended in 2024. Possible, but would surprise me.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 01:46 PM
Shareguy posted this on the other site:

Craigs BULLISH on sky. 50 cps cash back...wow
Insert from todays note

Overweight rating remains. Price Target $3.32 (prev. $3.20).
We retain our Overweight rating. Our 12-month target price has increased 4% and remains based on a one-year forward PE of 10x. We assume a FY22 35cps special dividend, along with a 15cps final dividend which provides a potential 50cps/20% return to shareholders within the next few months, and a hypothetical ex-dividend forward PE of 6.0x. We think FCF can support 22.5cps in ongoing dividends from FY23-FY26 at a 9.1% gross yield. This equates to 70% of our FCF forecast for the period vs. 50-80% payout policy. Key downside risks include: satellite churn, ARPU decline, cost of operational change & execution of technology path.

I would absolutely favour a divvy/special divvy combo and forget about the buyback.

They are assuming a total payout of ~$90M though.

Would be amazing if that transpired - and the Board will be under pressure to return cash. They are conservative in anture though, so it would need a number of instos to make it clear what they expect.

Dividend/Special divvy the fastest way to get cash returned at this junction. As at 30 June 2021 they had $161M worth of imputation credits available.

sb9
11-08-2022, 01:49 PM
Shareguy posted this on the other site:

I would absolutely favour a divvy/special divvy combo and forget about the buyback.

They are assuming a total payout of ~$90M though.

Would be amazing if that transpired - and the Board will be under pressure to return cash. They are conservative in anture though, so it would need a number of instos to make it clear what they expect.

Dividend/Special divvy the fastest way to get cash returned at this junction. As at 30 June 2021 they had $161M worth of imputation credits available.

Dreams are free, doubt if it'll be of that size knowing fully well how SKT board acts especially under current Chair.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Dreams are free, doubt if it'll be of that size knowing fully well how SKT board acts especially under current Chair.

Yes, I tend to share that sentiment given the overly conservative practices in the past.

The only thing that gives the Craigs view merit, I think, is that Bowman and the team will be under some pressure now by long-suffering institutional owners (after the MW fiasco). I do believe that investor patience has run a bit thin now.

And a 50cps payout is $87M.

That would still leave Sky with $60M+ in the bank - plenty of cash to draw upon to continue investing in broadband/STB/OTT while maintaining a healthy dividend.

sb9
11-08-2022, 02:09 PM
Yes, I tend to share that sentiment given the overly conservative practices in the past.

The only thing that gives the Craigs view merit, I think, is that Bowman and the team will be under some pressure now by long-suffering institutional owners (after the MW fiasco). I do believe that investor patience has run a bit thin now.

And a 50cps payout is $87M.

That would still leave Sky with $60M+ in the bank - plenty of cash to draw upon to continue investing in broadband/STB/OTT while maintaining a healthy dividend.

My best case pick is the payout to be max $50m, whichever method they may choose to pay that out.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 02:11 PM
My best case pick is the payout to be max $50m, whichever method they may choose to pay that out.

Well, let's hope for all our sakes that Craigs are the ones proven right in the end!

sb9
11-08-2022, 02:14 PM
Well, let's hope for all our sakes that Craigs are the ones proven right in the end!

if that happens we can only leave it for wild imagination what would happen in mista household private room ;)

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 02:14 PM

I actually figured a total payout of abou $80M:

$35M divvy
$15M special divvy
$30M buyback

Craigs payout expectation is only a little above that, the big difference is they expect it ALL to be paid out by dividend.

And, I think they are right in that a divvy/special divvy at this junction is the fastest and most tax efficient method to return cash to shareholders.

It has also been noted that doing a share buyback so soon after such a dillutory capital raise (at a much lower price) might raise some eyebrows too.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 02:15 PM
if that happens we can only leave it for wild imagination what would happen in mista household private room ;)

Oh, missusTea will get a good sort out don't you worry.

Baa_Baa
11-08-2022, 02:39 PM
I actually figured a total payout of abou $80M:

$35M divvy
$15M special divvy
$30M buyback

Craigs payout expectation is only a little above that, the big difference is they expect it ALL to be paid out by dividend.

And, I think they are right in that a divvy/special divvy at this junction is the fastest and most tax efficient method to return cash to shareholders.

It has also been noted that doing a share buyback so soon after such a dillutory capital raise (at a much lower price) might raise some eyebrows too.

And devalue the balance sheet by the amount of the payout and used imputation credits, hence market dumps the SP. Typically SP's drop after a dividend.

Old mate
11-08-2022, 03:11 PM
Would have thought there will be a few holders looking to exit after capital return also.

LaserEyeKiwi
11-08-2022, 04:10 PM
You forgot the first bit of the quote, which is crucial.

Sky have a long standing and deep relationship with these guys - so it is a big call to assume that the outcome will definitely be that Sky is cut out of the equation altogether. I am not saying it is not possible, just pointing out that there is also a very good chance (if not a probability​) Sky maintain those relationships. As I say, WD-Disc would need to anticipate some pretty large sub numbers willing to pay them month in and month out to justify killing the sky deal.

Given we renewed an expanded exclusive HBO deal just last year, I would be surprised if it ended in 2024. Possible, but would surprise me.

It appears HBO/WB have aligned all their international content deals to expire in 2024/25 - so they can launch HBOMax internationally unencombered

Today Disney reported that their Direct-to-consumer streaming services combined (Disney+ / ESPN+ / Hulu) now number more than Netflix. Other streamers are getting scared of getting left behind - its go big or go home now.

mistaTea
11-08-2022, 04:13 PM
It appears HBO/WB have aligned all their international content deals to expire in 2024/25 - so they can launch HBOMax internationally unencombered

If SNT can keep a co-exclusive deal they will be just fine.

Yet another OTT market entrant will only strengthen Sky's value add as a content aggregator.

mistaTea
12-08-2022, 10:00 AM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/disney-tops-netflix-in-streaming-subscribers-hikes-prices/KUCY25ZO25FPB57E7BCWXVXV3Y/

Wow, Disney+ now has more subs than netflix.

Americans will have to pay more to watch ad-free, and I am sure they will roll that model out internationally soon.

They need to dramatically increase revenue.

Disney said paid subscriptions for Disney+ grew by 31 per cent, much of that internationally, over the same time last year. But revenue growth was not as strong due to operating losses from "higher programming and production, technology and marketing costs".

But Disney's direct-to-consumer segment, which includes its streaming operations, lost US$1.1 billion in the third quarter from its year-ago US$293m loss.

Just madness how these companies are killing themselves in the hope that they will become top dog and make large profits in the future. Netflix only just started producing earnings when they got knocked off their perch.

Content production costs have soared to unprecedented levels as these companies need to continually produce hit shows to attract growth in subs.

HBO-Warner look set to enter the fray. Their service would be very good, but I think they will be up against it if they think they will get anywhere near the subs that netflix and disney have. All the while Amazon making big ivnestments too...new shows like The Stand and the LOTR series will be popular.

Apple TV spending tonnes of $ on their service.

All to produce huge negative cashflows in the hope that it will 'come right' in the future.

Just madness.

Rustycage
12-08-2022, 11:19 AM
It’s definitely a worry

There is an excellent pitch on Disney on the VIC forum from May 22 (I think). Poster does well to highlight the economics of linear vs streaming: it’s gonna take several years to see how this plays out. The poster predicted DTC EBIT is higher than linear EBIT at the end of the 2025 DIS year. Pretty reasonable/conservative assumptions too

As the holder of WBD, SKT and an unnamed European media s***co, I do wonder if it all gets rebundled at some point and we are back to Foxtel/Sky/Cable if you’re in the States 🤣

Fingers crossed for a reasonable capital return on the 25th

mistaTea
12-08-2022, 01:09 PM

'Dem gainz' suggest Mr Market is anticipating a decent payout will be announced in under a fortnight.

snigmac
12-08-2022, 02:24 PM
'Dem gainz' suggest Mr Market is anticipating a decent payout will be announced in under a fortnight.

Fingers crossed for a large payout for current holders.

mistaTea
12-08-2022, 02:44 PM
Fingers crossed for a large payout for current holders.

Sceptical posters have every reason to believe that Sky may fall short of expectations given the track record.

Let's just hope they do keep it simple by just returning cash via dividend + special divvy (given the vast amounts of imputation credits on the books) and not pursue a drawn out and questionable buyback.

We can come up with a range of outcomes depending on how stingy (or not) the Board is.

I can't see the Board getting away with paying out any less than ~$50M in total (say 30cps). If they go this low without an incredibly good reason I think it will be a big disappointment to the market and 'dem gainz' we have seen in the last week will evaporate very quickly
I can't see them paying any more than the Craigs prediction of ~$90M (50cps). That number would delight current holders, potentially boost the SP even more and still leave them with $60M or so in the bank to continue executing the strategy while maintaining a healthy dividend in future years

So if it is just going to be capital return by dividend (please God let it be so!) then we can confidently expect something in the order of 30 - 50cps - hopefully much closer to the top end!

We can probably narrow that down even further to 40cps - 50cps ($70M - $90M payout) because if they only paid $50M I think Philip Bowman and Joan Withers realise that they would lose their jobs. $70M is less than half of the cash they will have in the bank remember, paying out less than half of available cash would only get shareholder support if they had a bloody good reason for still hoarding so much cash (and they don't have a good reason to do so since the MW deal is dead and buried, and therefore need to cough this year big time).

mistaTea
12-08-2022, 05:45 PM
It’s definitely a worry

There is an excellent pitch on Disney on the VIC forum from May 22 (I think). Poster does well to highlight the economics of linear vs streaming: it’s gonna take several years to see how this plays out. The poster predicted DTC EBIT is higher than linear EBIT at the end of the 2025 DIS year. Pretty reasonable/conservative assumptions too

As the holder of WBD, SKT and an unnamed European media s***co, I do wonder if it all gets rebundled at some point and we are back to Foxtel/Sky/Cable if you’re in the States 藍

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/us-streaming-wars-big-bets-by-hollywood-titans-remain-uneven/TFUCNG4CKP6T7HBZJ4NMD4FT3E/

mistaTea
16-08-2022, 03:52 PM
Two bucks sixty...

Old mate
16-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Get ready Mrs tea:t_up:

mistaTea
16-08-2022, 04:20 PM
Get ready Mrs tea:t_up:

August 25...I will surely be giving missusTea a nice creampie for dessert.

Rustycage
16-08-2022, 06:13 PM
If you look at a chart over the last month we are a legit growth stonk (don’t look at the 5y though!)

SWM (Aus TV s***co) had an interesting reaction to the shareholder return plan today. No div, plan to b/b 10% of shares. But it is a different case: one huge insider holder that prob wants to takeover slowly/at a low price

mistaTea
16-08-2022, 06:23 PM
If you look at a chart over the last month we are a legit growth stonk (don’t look at the 5y though!)

SWM (Aus TV s***co) had an interesting reaction to the shareholder return plan today. No div, plan to b/b 10% of shares. But it is a different case: one huge insider holder that prob wants to takeover slowly/at a low price

Buyback for sky tv even less compelling now that the SP is up 15% from a fortnight back.

With all those imputation credits, best way is definitely a divvy/special divvy combo.

Simple, straight forward and tax efficient. Companies that own sky will pay no tax and retail holders will pay 5% - pretty good deal, given the alternatives.

silu
18-08-2022, 08:09 AM
After another horrible experience with SSN this morning I can feel empathy with this article. Also SkyGo customers seem to get a completely different experience than SSN customers with regards to replays at the moment judging from social media. Whilst I'm a happy shareholder I'm a disgruntled customer who feels we are being held hostage by horrible technology. I'm only writing this in the hope that someone from Sky senior management peruses this board. And please no offers of help no matter how well-meant. I'm no technical dummy and I subscribe to approx 8 streaming services and SSN is by far the worst. Not even close.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/english-premier-league-fails-nz-football-fans

mistaTea
18-08-2022, 08:47 AM
After another horrible experience with SSN this morning I can feel empathy with this article. Also SkyGo customers seem to get a completely different experience than SSN customers with regards to replays at the moment judging from social media. Whilst I'm a happy shareholder I'm a disgruntled customer who feels we are being held hostage by horrible technology. I'm only writing this in the hope that someone from Sky senior management peruses this board. And please no offers of help no matter how well-meant. I'm no technical dummy and I subscribe to approx 8 streaming services and SSN is by far the worst. Not even close.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/english-premier-league-fails-nz-football-fans

There were also no shortage of articles about how "Spark Sport sucks" and people lamenting Sky losing the rights to various codes...there will always be someone who isn't happy.

However, I do think that Spark Sport is a better app than SSN. Spark do tend to commission the development of better apps that Sky can, and I don't really understand why that should be the case for SSN because we outsource the app development (as does Spark).
For NEON it was a different story - John Fellet was talked into letting his CTO develop the app in house. Man oh man was that a mistake - old NEON was such a piece of crap. Spark stood up Lightbox by outsourcing the development faster than Sky and the app was so much better it just wasn't funny. So I get 'why' old NEON was so awful and Lightbox was awesome.

For SSN I am a bit puzzled, and the only thing I can think of is that Sky have missed a trick with SSN in that they still designed the app around a linear TV experience (whereas Spark Sport is designed around an On Demand experience - which is the right way for an app). As a result, because SSN is trying to serve two masters (linear and On Demand) the Home Page etc can become a bit crowded and clunky.

I think the app does need to have some more investment - sh1tcan the linear TV guide type watching (if anyone wants that so badly they can fork out for a Sky Box sub). Of course, if the difference between enhancing SSN and buying Spark Sport isn't significant, then we could always see if our mates at Spark would like to sell.

winner69
18-08-2022, 09:27 AM
Is the big day tomorrow?

Bit like the kids on a long trip 'are we there yet'

sb9
18-08-2022, 09:29 AM
Is the big day tomorrow?

Bit like the kids on a long trip 'are we there yet'

Another week to go, same day. Time to snooze until then...

mistaTea
18-08-2022, 09:33 AM
Another week to go, same day. Time to snooze until then...

Maybe winner was referring to a takeover.

sb9
18-08-2022, 09:34 AM
Maybe winner was referring to a takeover.

Haha, sure why not :)

mistaTea
18-08-2022, 10:30 AM
I think at this junction, it would be shocking if Sky do anything other than a divvy/special divvy, given the delays and available imputation credits - shareholders just want their money now.

I suspect any alternative, such as a buyback, would be viewed as another unwelcome suprise.

If it is a straight divvy/speciall divvy combo, then we can be confident Sky will fork out somewhere between $50M (super stingy) to $100M (more generous than anyone is anticipating, and doable given the huge cash balance).

So anything from a disappointing 29cps to an astounding 57cps total dividend.

bottomfeeder
18-08-2022, 10:57 AM
I think they will be stingy. Unlike Directors to give away cash reserves, they will want to maintain divvys going forward (sustainable returns). Lastly always want to hold easy funds for unforseen tech changes or new tech availability. I think they may announce a potential buyback at discretion of the board, just in case the SP drops below a basic level. Just having a potential buyback in the wings will stop the SP getting to the basic level, say $2.20. If the above comes to fruition I will be happy. Capital returns only serve to reduce the SP. If you want capital back, sell some shares.

mistaTea
18-08-2022, 11:03 AM
I think they will be stingy. Unlike Directors to give away cash reserves, they will want to maintain divvys going forward (sustainable returns). Lastly always want to hold easy funds for unforseen tech changes or new tech availability. I think they may announce a potential buyback at discretion of the board, just in case the SP drops below a basic level. Just having a potential buyback in the wings will stop the SP getting to the basic level, say $2.20. If the above comes to fruition I will be happy. Capital returns only serve to reduce the SP. If you want capital back, sell some shares.

Ultimately, I think the future SP will be driven by future prospects/earning potential (and therefore dividend potential) of the business.

With the SP dropping to as low as $397M recently, it is hard to imagine that the ~$150M cash balance feeds into that valuation much. If it does then the market currently only thinks Sky TV's operations are worth $300M. Difficult to rationalise that with the reality of how much the company earns.

Let's hope they give some good guidance for next year.

mistaTea
18-08-2022, 11:20 AM
I think they will be stingy. They will be as tight arsed as they can get away with, but I think there is a fair amount of pressure from the big investors to cough, so they will probably end up paying more than they otherwise would. How much more? The minimum they can get away with and keep their jobs I am sure.

Unlike Directors to give away cash reserves, they will want to maintain divvys going forward (sustainable returns).

Any future dividends will be a function of future FCF, not the existing cash balance. They will probably maitain a policy of 50-80% of adjusted FCF into the future. Any money paid out to shareholders in the future will not come out of the war chest, so having loads and loads of cash on the books does not help shareholders in terms of dividends.

Lastly always want to hold easy funds for unforseen tech changes or new tech availability.

They will certainly need to keep some cash on hand. Not only to guard against the 'vicissitudes of life' but also to work on enhancing our streaming services, the new STB, increase broadband uptake etc. They will need to have access to cash in excess of the ~$50M they budget each year for CAPEX spend from operating cashflows. But the question is, how much do they need to keep? Given they produce $50M a year for CAPEX from cashflows, how much more cash do they need And for what?

If they want to keep a huge pile of the cash they will need to have a very good story about what they plan to do with it. Just saying that they are going to sit on it because they are paranoid and/or are just waiting and hoping that 'something good' will present soon won't go down very well I don't think.

mistaTea
18-08-2022, 12:51 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/emilia-clarke-bizarrely-insulted-by-foxtel-ceo-at-house-of-the-dragon-premiere/ar-AA10LUKO?ocid=EMMX

Our mate at Foxtel won't be getting invited to any HBO parties anytime soon.

shazam
18-08-2022, 03:34 PM
Some good news landed in my inbox just now:

We’re updating the Sky Sport Now website and app on 23 August with an improved experience and fresh new look with new features including; watch from start, and initially for web users only you can access multi-view and 30-second replay live action mode.

silu
18-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Just got this e-mail from Sky Sports which probably explains the horror show I had this morning trying to watch the Black Caps via the TV app. This also would address some of the biggest issues re playback mentioned in the Newsroom piece.

''We’re updating the Sky Sport Now website and app on 23 August with an improved experience and fresh new look with new features including; watch from start, and initially for web users only you can access multi-view and 30-second replay live action mode.'

Sideshow Bob
18-08-2022, 04:00 PM
The cricket was a horror show wasn't it?? :mellow:

Just killing time waiting for the 25th.....

Habits
18-08-2022, 04:03 PM
''We’re updating the Sky Sport Now website and app on 23 August with an improved experience and fresh new look with new features including; watch from start, and initially for web users only you can access multi-view and 30-second replay live action mode.'

Brilliant! Thanks TEAM

uravgtrader
18-08-2022, 10:06 PM
What multi view are they talking about?

mistaTea
19-08-2022, 02:40 PM
Man, only a few days to go now.

Last time I had a stiffy like this, Dumbledore was fighting Voldemort...

airedale
19-08-2022, 04:03 PM
Brilliant! Thanks TEAM

This suggests that someone from SKT office are actually reading this thread.

Rustycage
19-08-2022, 04:43 PM
Man, only a few days to go now.

Last time I had a stiffy like this, Dumbledore was fighting Voldemort...

*insert Nick Cage laughing gif here* for Ogg

Can’t figure out how to imbed gifs on my phone here

mistaTea
20-08-2022, 10:37 AM
The fact we are now just a few days out without a buyback announcement means it will be a divvy/special divvy combo for certain I think.

Thank God commonsense has prevailed.

bottomfeeder
22-08-2022, 12:56 PM
Typical strategy to keep the SP down. Right before an important upgrade withdraw all buying support. Plus we have a SP, which was getting closer to max, unless there is a takeover out of the blue. Some skullduggery going on.

Rustycage
22-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Pitch on SKT has appeared on Value Investors Club by zach721, who submitted one on NZM a few years ago as well …

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 07:18 AM
Major update for the SSN app available now.

Quick glance at the new UI suggest a decent leap towards On Demand focus.

Very very good. Well done sky.

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 07:19 AM
Pitch on SKT has appeared on Value Investors Club by zach721, who submitted one on NZM a few years ago as well …

Link to post?

silu
23-08-2022, 08:14 AM
Major update for the SSN app available now.

Quick glance at the new UI suggest a decent leap towards On Demand focus.

Very very good. Well done sky.

So far so good. Only downside is that it asked to change my password. Again. But by the looks default is to start from beginning of the broadcast and you have to click on "start live" which is a great addition to an "on demand" service.

And Multi-View is a wonderful addition. Finally you can check on other games while continuing to watch whatever you were watching. Just from playing around for 15 minutes I expect some positive articles and comments from Mr Keall, Newsroom etc.

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 08:58 AM
So far so good. Only downside is that it asked to change my password. Again. But by the looks default is to start from beginning of the broadcast and you have to click on "start live" which is a great addition to an "on demand" service.

And Multi-View is a wonderful addition. Finally you can check on other games while continuing to watch whatever you were watching. Just from playing around for 15 minutes I expect some positive articles and comments from Mr Keall, Newsroom etc.

How does multi-view work exactly?

silu
23-08-2022, 09:05 AM

Was only able to do it on the PC (as am in the office) so far but while watching click "Multiview" top right and you have the options of 2 screens side by side, mini-viewer, 3 or 4 channels simultaneously with a very easy click-and-drag action. No idea how it will work on the TV app yet but can't wait to play around with it.

Baa_Baa
23-08-2022, 09:13 AM

really simple mate, start a channel, top of screen click 'multi view', choose the layout, drag and drop other channels into the vacant slots. Boom, multi view .. works a treat. Click on/off the sound for the channel you want to listen to.

:)

edit: this is the browser experience. don't know about the TV app.

DeathByWarriors
23-08-2022, 09:17 AM
Couldn't watch Man Utd v Liverpool on my TV this morning because the new app isn't ready for Samsung TV's so had to watch on my phone instead. Why not wait 24 hours so you don't risk screwing up the viewing experience for such a major match in a league you've invested heavily in? Or better still, why not roll the upgrade out before the season starts? This company is constantly finding new ways to p*ss people off, no wonder the market sentiment is what it is.

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Was only able to do it on the PC (as am in the office) so far but while watching click "Multiview" top right and you have the options of 2 screens side by side, mini-viewer, 3 or 4 channels simultaneously with a very easy click-and-drag action. No idea how it will work on the TV app yet but can't wait to play around with it.

Ahhh, that is cool.

If memry serves I think there was a recent article that indicated the first release would only have that feature work on a browser. If it is popular and they get good feedback I assume they will roll it out to the apps before long.

RTM
23-08-2022, 09:24 AM
Couldn't watch Man Utd v Liverpool on my TV this morning because the new app isn't ready for Samsung TV's so had to watch on my phone instead. Why not wait 24 hours so you don't risk screwing up the viewing experience for such a major match in a league you've invested heavily in? Or better still, why not roll the upgrade out before the season starts? This company is constantly finding new ways to p*ss people off, no wonder the market sentiment is what it is.

Yeah...ive got password / access issues. Couldn't watch either. Even after resetting its asking for a subscription. arrrrgghh... suppose it will come right. Don't know the score but didn't really want to watch later in the day once I've got it sorted. Might go and have another try now...turned it off in disgust...Using APPLE TV

freebee
23-08-2022, 09:27 AM
Chris Keall:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/sky-sport-now-upgrade-hit-by-glitches/V5P5VJ3BEASNZ3JFOYFFZDX7PQ/

silu
23-08-2022, 09:28 AM
Chris Keall of course concentrates (perhaps rightly) on the technical issues https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/sky-sport-now-upgrade-hit-by-glitches/V5P5VJ3BEASNZ3JFOYFFZDX7PQ/

I got up 30 minutes early thinking that they will have issues and I had to change my password. Again. But was ready at kick-off.

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 09:30 AM
Chris Keall of course concentrates (perhaps rightly) on the technical issues https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/sky-sport-now-upgrade-hit-by-glitches/V5P5VJ3BEASNZ3JFOYFFZDX7PQ/

I got up 30 minutes early thinking that they will have issues and I had to change my password. Again. But was ready at kick-off.

The idea that Chris Keall would ever write a positive article about Sky is laughable.

Rustycage
23-08-2022, 10:45 AM
https://www.valueinvestorsclub.com/idea/Sky_Networks_/0548077343

apologies if the link doesn’t work. Can create a free account and search for “SKT” to find it if needed

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 11:14 AM
https://www.valueinvestorsclub.com/idea/Sky_Networks_/0548077343

apologies if the link doesn’t work. Can create a free account and search for “SKT” to find it if needed

Copy/paste the post from VIC here?

DownTownJr
23-08-2022, 11:17 AM
From Zach VIC

Description
Sky has a mix of attractive attributes for value creation: a) 40% of market cap in cash b) dominant and only satellite provider with roughly 20% of the population New Zealand and 33-40% of NZ households as subscribers that watch 120 minutes a day c) tied up the key sports rights and spends nearly $330 million a year on content d) trades at sub 2x EV/EBITDA (adjusted for real estate sale/1H22 results) e) wildly overcapitalized with untapped line of $150 million + $160 million in cash* +/- vs. $400 million market cap f) decent business $740 million in revenue with $140 million in EBITDA or roughly 20% EBITDA margins and 10% free cash flow margins.

* Current cash $73 million + our estimates for 6-30-22: 1H22 $45 million from operations- capex + $55 million from real estate sale that closed in Feb 2022 or $173 million or 42% of the market cap!

We estimate that Sky could pay a special dividend equal 75% of the current share price or $1.80 per share by paying out the cash that is about to hit their books (re sale + fcf) + levering the untapped credit facility to 1.0x EBITDA. On a $2.40 stock with roughly .75+ cents in cash per share, the sell side has cash flow per share for 2022: .80 cents 2023: .75 cents and 2024 of .71 cents. Sky has laid out their growth plans which we think make sense. We believe the likely outcome will be a PE acquisition at a substantially higher price. Finally, we think there is very little downside in SKY and the opportunity for 100%+ upside or 5x EV/EBITDA. We believe Sky has barriers to entry in the form of dominant distribution for the country combined with tying up key sports rights that lead to good retention.

Plan to unlock shareholder value/catalysts:

We believe it is likely that a combination of a substantial dividend and large share repurchase is highly probable over the next 90 days or so. The company is hinting at roughly a 9-14% dividend which should begin in September 2022 (as the company will pay out 50-80% of free cash flow or .20-.32 cents a share, see page 28 of Feb 2022 IR deck). We see a couple paths a) a large dutch tender b) special dividend + stated ongoing dividend or c) holding cash with the above. We believe the most likely path is a large special dividend of up to 33% of the market cap or .75 cents could be paid out then followed with the above suggested payout of .20-.32 cent dividend. If this occurs post the special dividend, the payout would increase the dividend yield to 13-19% after backing out a one time special dividend. The company should be able to easily support both a large special dividend and ongoing dividend w/o much debt given the company has an untapped line of $150 million, $140 million in EBITDA, and a highly predictable subscription business. Sky is likely worth 5x EBITDA + Cash or roughly $5 per share vs. $2.40 per share.

Satellite is especially well suited for New Zealand given the topography and small regional towns make it costly and challenging to cover the entire country as Sky can.

Overall, the market is pricing in continuous declines in revenue and subscriber-base whilst the company has already returned to revenue growth. Unbundling has run its course (and/or has been oversold) and Sky is well positioned as it has strong distribution – e.g. even Disney, after testing unbundling, came back to Sky for their access to consumers. See this article written by Sky director in early May “How goes the Revolution” regarding unbundling and Sky’s market position:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-goes-revolution-mike-darcey/

Sky motto “Home to Sport” and has the key sports rights to All Blacks rugby, premiere league soccer, cricket and others.

Home to Sport” is the motto, which is supported by Rugby, Premiere League Soccer, Cricket, etc rights. One of its main competitor in sports rights, Spark, has reduced its bids/fewer bids and rumors are it is maybe exiting sports: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/why-sky-tvs-english-premier-league-football-rights-win-matters/H6MHOFKMFUMCQINTRCXRVQRZ3Q/

Customers are increasingly sticky. 75% of subscriber have been customers for more than 5 years with churn decreasing every year, at 6.7% annually after 5years. Sky also offers broadband service (through a partner) to increase stickiness – the attachment rate is ~3-5% after first year of launch. On top of that, Sky is launching new hardware, Sky Box, in the next few months. The new Sky Box will allow streaming content beyond satellite and has Tivo-like functionality. Sky wants to maintain its preeminence with consumers – the first thing they turn on when viewing content.

Recent Developments:

There has been a lot of noise around SKY recently: A) A private equity bid B) considered the acquisition of Mediaworks from Oaktree (which with shareholder pushback was terminated) C) standalone with large dividend/buyback. B is OUT, A less likely and C) most likely. The dividend should be at least 12-15% starting in September.

The Mediaworks news caused the stock to tank – now that the transaction has been ruled out, the stock still hasn’t recovered fully, giving us another chance to buy.

CEO/Management;

We really like the CEO Sophie Maloney she took over about 18 months ago. She has done a strong job in cutting costs, sold real estate at an attractive point, set a growth path, launched an innovative new satellite box, bought stock in the open market, and negotiated compelling partnerships.

RTM
23-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting this. Wow…if correct ! Hope it is.

From Zach VIC

Description
Sky has a mix of attractive attributes for value creation: a) 40% of market cap in cash b) dominant and only satellite provider with roughly 20% of the population New Zealand and 33-40% of NZ households as subscribers that watch 120 minutes a day c) tied up the key sports rights and spends nearly $330 million a year on content d) trades at sub 2x EV/EBITDA (adjusted for real estate sale/1H22 results) e) wildly overcapitalized with untapped line of $150 million + $160 million in cash* +/- vs. $400 million market cap f) decent business $740 million in revenue with $140 million in EBITDA or roughly 20% EBITDA margins and 10% free cash flow margins.

* Current cash $73 million + our estimates for 6-30-22: 1H22 $45 million from operations- capex + $55 million from real estate sale that closed in Feb 2022 or $173 million or 42% of the market cap!

We estimate that Sky could pay a special dividend equal 75% of the current share price or $1.80 per share by paying out the cash that is about to hit their books (re sale + fcf) + levering the untapped credit facility to 1.0x EBITDA. On a $2.40 stock with roughly .75+ cents in cash per share, the sell side has cash flow per share for 2022: .80 cents 2023: .75 cents and 2024 of .71 cents. Sky has laid out their growth plans which we think make sense. We believe the likely outcome will be a PE acquisition at a substantially higher price. Finally, we think there is very little downside in SKY and the opportunity for 100%+ upside or 5x EV/EBITDA. We believe Sky has barriers to entry in the form of dominant distribution for the country combined with tying up key sports rights that lead to good retention.

We believe it is likely that a combination of a substantial dividend and large share repurchase is highly probable over the next 90 days or so. The company is hinting at roughly a 9-14% dividend which should begin in September 2022 (as the company will pay out 50-80% of free cash flow or .20-.32 cents a share, see page 28 of Feb 2022 IR deck). We see a couple paths a) a large dutch tender b) special dividend + stated ongoing dividend or c) holding cash with the above. We believe the most likely path is a large special dividend of up to 33% of the market cap or .75 cents could be paid out then followed with the above suggested payout of .20-.32 cent dividend. If this occurs post the special dividend, the payout would increase the dividend yield to 13-19% after backing out a one time special dividend. The company should be able to easily support both a large special dividend and ongoing dividend w/o much debt given the company has an untapped line of $150 million, $140 million in EBITDA, and a highly predictable subscription business. Sky is likely worth 5x EBITDA + Cash or roughly $5 per share vs. $2.40 per share.

Satellite is especially well suited for New Zealand given the topography and small regional towns make it costly and challenging to cover the entire country as Sky can.

Overall, the market is pricing in continuous declines in revenue and subscriber-base whilst the company has already returned to revenue growth. Unbundling has run its course (and/or has been oversold) and Sky is well positioned as it has strong distribution – e.g. even Disney, after testing unbundling, came back to Sky for their access to consumers. See this article written by Sky director in early May “How goes the Revolution” regarding unbundling and Sky’s market position:

Sky motto “Home to Sport” and has the key sports rights to All Blacks rugby, premiere league soccer, cricket and others.

Home to Sport” is the motto, which is supported by Rugby, Premiere League Soccer, Cricket, etc rights. One of its main competitor in sports rights, Spark, has reduced its bids/fewer bids and rumors are it is maybe exiting sports: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/why-sky-tvs-english-premier-league-football-rights-win-matters/H6MHOFKMFUMCQINTRCXRVQRZ3Q/

Customers are increasingly sticky. 75% of subscriber have been customers for more than 5 years with churn decreasing every year, at 6.7% annually after 5years. Sky also offers broadband service (through a partner) to increase stickiness – the attachment rate is ~3-5% after first year of launch. On top of that, Sky is launching new hardware, Sky Box, in the next few months. The new Sky Box will allow streaming content beyond satellite and has Tivo-like functionality. Sky wants to maintain its preeminence with consumers – the first thing they turn on when viewing content.

Recent Developments:

There has been a lot of noise around SKY recently: A) A private equity bid B) considered the acquisition of Mediaworks from Oaktree (which with shareholder pushback was terminated) C) standalone with large dividend/buyback. B is OUT, A less likely and C) most likely. The dividend should be at least 12-15% starting in September.

The Mediaworks news caused the stock to tank – now that the transaction has been ruled out, the stock still hasn’t recovered fully, giving us another chance to buy.

CEO/Management;

We really like the CEO Sophie Maloney she took over about 18 months ago. She has done a strong job in cutting costs, sold real estate at an attractive point, set a growth path, launched an innovative new satellite box, bought stock in the open market, and negotiated compelling partnerships.

Rustycage
23-08-2022, 12:13 PM
As much as I’d like a crapload of dividend, the leverage recap part is prob gonna be a bit optimistic/aggressive for our mgmt team ….

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 12:20 PM
As much as I’d like a crapload of dividend, the leverage recap part is prob gonna be a bit optimistic/aggressive for our mgmt team ….

Agreed. I think Zach is right that it is possible...but I cannot see these guys paying out every dollar of cash on the books in September with a view to tapping into the lending facilities to support future spend.

I do think we should expect a very generous divvy/special divvy combo though. If cash balance ends up being closer to the $170M mark then it would be hard for Sky to justify paying out any less than $100M in September I think.

mistaTea
23-08-2022, 02:18 PM
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/three-things-to-watch-for-in-sparks-full-year-result/KLIZFZF4N5IXAS3374SL3TU23Y/

A bit of a spiel on whether or not Spark might offload Spark Sport. Jarden have been speculating on an exit for some time and it certainly doesn't seem like they are going for the throat anymore to win sports deals.

If they are negotiating an exit, I cannot see anyone being interested in a deal apart from Sky.

Spark has billions of dollars of revenue and couldn't make it work. Just passing the buck to another big company won't make Spark Sport earn any money any time soon.

A more realistic scenario imo is for them to do a negotiated exit whereby Sky take the cricket off their hands. Spark might have to eat some of the cost given they inflated the rights so much.

We don't need their platform (despite Chris' poor attempt to drum up some negative 'news') so don't see why we would pay them anything for that.

Most likely, they will have little to say about Spark at the FY results release though. Still a waiting game.

Vitamin_A
24-08-2022, 07:36 AM
D-Day Eve!
What's your pick re, capital distribution?
I'm picking 30c.p.s fully imputed vanilla dividend.
Super conservative and keeps the company still over capitalized.

bull....
24-08-2022, 07:45 AM
From Zach VIC

Description

Recent Developments:

CEO/Management;

think you missed the main threat off content providers leaving sky.... take for example the lastest hbo ... thats why it will always trade at a discount because of the risk.

A streaming service full of HBO content is coming to New Zealand whether Sky likes it or not

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300659770/a-streaming-service-full-of-hbo-content-is-coming-to-new-zealand-whether-sky-likes-it-or-not

I think share buybacks and div's anyway is what they do with the need to conserve cash for ever increasing costs of content

mistaTea
24-08-2022, 08:39 AM
think you missed the main threat off content providers leaving sky.... take for example the lastest hbo ... thats why it will always trade at a discount because of the risk.

A streaming service full of HBO content is coming to New Zealand whether Sky likes it or not

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300659770/a-streaming-service-full-of-hbo-content-is-coming-to-new-zealand-whether-sky-likes-it-or-not

I think share buybacks and div's anyway is what they do with the need to conserve cash for ever increasing costs of content

Shame man, I think the article he shared from Mike Darcy addresses the issue about content providers leaving.

Balance
24-08-2022, 08:46 AM
D-Day Eve!
What's your pick re, capital distribution?
I'm picking 30c.p.s fully imputed vanilla dividend.
Super conservative and keeps the company still over capitalized.

In which case you could be most disappointed if market consensus from 6 analysts is any guide :

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/SKY-NETWORK-TELEVISION-LI-6497839/financials/

Expectations are for a 9cps dividend.

bull....
24-08-2022, 08:50 AM
Shame man, I think the article he shared from Mike Darcy addresses the issue about content providers leaving.

thats the uncertainty of being at the mercy of content providers they may only need you till they dont