PDA

View Full Version : SKT Sky Network Television Limited.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

metro
29-10-2006, 05:44 PM
An excerpt from the StockWatch newsletter. The StockWatch newletter is written by metro.

StockWatch: SKT Sky Network Television Limited.

"Sky Network Television provides UHF & digital satellite television to paying subscribers in New Zealand. SKT's acquisition of Prime TV NZ marks its foray into the free-to air television market. Sky's strategy for growth revolves around increasing its channels, increasing its subscriber base and maintaining a tight control over costs" - source: ASB Securities website.

Company Address: 10 Panorama Road, Mount Wellington Auckland. Tel: 09 579 9999.

History:

Sky Network Television (‘SKT’) launched a three channel UHF analogue pay-to-view television service in 1990. Two years later two more channels were added. In late 1998 SKT launched its digital satellite service extending its reach to the whole country. At the same time the number of channels on offer increased significantly. SKT now offers over 80 channels including 6 sports channels, 5 movie channels, 5 general entertainment channels, 3 news channels and 4 documentary channels.

SKT has enjoyed very significant growth over its 16 year life. It has also faced heavy capital expenditure and depreciation charges. Losses were reported for many years although it was, for a number of those more recent years, strongly cash flow positive. Its scale of operation has increased to the point that it reported an accounting profit in FY05.

Last year Sky Network Television and Independent Newspapers (‘INL’) merged to create the new Sky Network Television (‘SKT’). At that stage all INL held was cash and a 66% interest in Sky TV. The merger saw SKT recapitalised. Both shareholders received cash payment and new borrowings were raised. As at 30 June 2006 SKT had net borrowings including capital notes (maturing October 2006) of $567m compared with just $109m when Sky TV was structured in a different form. SKT’s cash flows remain easily able to cope with this much increased debt burden. FY 06 EBITDA of $247.7m covered interest charges incurred of $50.4m by 4.9x.

SKT's Latest Result:

SKT reported FY2006 EBITDA of $247.7m up 12.70% but lower than some analysts were expecting due to higher programming and general costs. Reported profit was $60.2m down 19% also lower than many analysts had predicted. This was as a result of higher interest costs on the extra $500m worth of debt raised as part of the merger with INL.

That aside, Sky Television had another excellent year with gains in net subscriber growth which was up 48,000 to 667,000 and installation revenue was also up.

"SKT had another excellent year, continuing to show gains across all key areas including growth in subscriber numbers, average revenue earned per subscriber, as well as a reduction in operating expenses relative to revenue", said chief Executive John Fellet.

Subscriber Base:

Growth in subscriber numbers is a clear indication of the company’s success. Total subscribers have increased from 430,000 in June 2001 (or from a penetration rate of 29.5% of all NZ households) to approximately 667,000 as at 30 June 2006 (representing 42% of all NZ households). That reflects a 9% annual growth rate over the past 5 years. In the latest financial year ended 30 June 2006 subscriber numbers grew by 48,000 or 7.8%.

Significantly, not only has Sky been experiencing aggregate growth in subscriber numbers but its existing UHF subscribers have also been switching over in increasing numbers to its digital satellite service. UHF subscribers have dropped in number from 162,000 in June 2001 to about 65,000 by June this year or from 37.6% of the total number of Sky subscribers to around 10% currently. SKT earns $39.51 on average in monthly revenue from a UHF subscriber (it calls this ‘arpu’) but a much greater $63.13 per month on average from a digital subscriber. Average revenue per subscriber per month, i.e. arpu, was in aggregate up from $56.86 to $58.30 in FY06.

The subscriber base comprises 492,381 residential digital subscribers (73.

biker
29-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Waiting for the back up satellite/transponder issues to be sorted out next year.A transmission blackout would make this stock worth very little.You can have all the subscribers in the world but if you have transponder or satellite failure it becomes a little more significant than rain fade.
Have a look at the risks listed in the Sky bonds prospectus.
Thats not to say the shareprice wont do well,I just can't be bothered with the risk.

BRICKS
30-10-2006, 06:25 AM
COME KIWI`s buy this stock for very little RETURN.. [8D]

hesiod
16-11-2006, 11:39 AM
OOH Darn ! Engineers obviously had a BIG night before they welded those sucker antennae on.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominionpost/0,2106,3861061a6000,00.html

Edit . Pesky redirects

metro
16-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Recommended at $5.55 last sale $6.00. Re last post, Im not aware of any ongoing problem with the Optus D1 satellite.

MEDIA RELEASE
15 November 2006

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMMENT

At 3:00 am this morning, SKY successfully completed the transfer of satellite
services from Optus B1 to its new satellite, D1. During the transfer, all SKY
digital channels were off the air for a short period of time. After the
transfer from B1 to D1 had been completed, service was fully restored.

SKY's UHF service was not affected.

ratkin
16-11-2006, 03:14 PM
spam

limegreen
16-11-2006, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by metro

Im not aware of any ongoing problem with the Optus D1 satellite.

"There are fears the error .... may curtail Sky's ability to add extra capacity on the satellite to launch new channels in future."

Sounds like a potential ongoing problem.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3861065a6160,00.html

winner69
16-11-2006, 07:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by ratkin

spam

Wonder how many $105 cheques he's got

luckysexice
16-11-2006, 08:12 PM
strange nothing happen to the share price after the error
Hope people dont start dumping there SKY shares

metro
16-11-2006, 08:51 PM
If the was a known "potential ongoing problem" affecting SKT future broadcasts or channel development under the continous disclosure rules then presumably SKT needs to make a formal announcement to the NZX...

...are you hearing this Jason? or is it just another "stuff" up?

Albert
17-11-2006, 07:36 AM

spam

I thought this was meant to be a forum that discussed shares and associated companies, not a vehicle to read SPAM and self-promotion:(

Placebo
17-11-2006, 10:43 AM
No-one has commented on the announcement of TVNZ's digital platforms launch and the impact this might have on Sky.

My reading of it is there was a little residual uncertainty about what TVNZ might have up its sleeve, but the announcement this week has removed that uncertainty. It appears the TVNZ digital service will be no threat to Sky whatever:

24 hour news channel: Will be mainly local content with bulletins on the hour (comment: there isn't enough news to fill 1 1-hour bulletin a day at present -- how to fill 24??)

Sports channel: Sky has content sewn up -- what will they show?

NZ Herald reported (without denial from TVNZ) that there will be a high proportion of repeats on the digital platform.

There will still be a cost barrier (albeit low -- about $200 to buy the decoder).

The digesting of this information may explain the recent rise in SKT's share price.

metro
17-11-2006, 12:48 PM

spam

Albert and Ratkin,

That's fine. Accepted.
But please feel free to post your own in depth analysis of any publicity listed NZ company including your valuation using DCF or any other methodology preferably including your mathematical workings.

You can also be brave enough to stick your neck out and give a recommendation and let others comment...

Any listed company will do...

ds
17-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Now that we know that Sky's new D1 Satellite's transponders are not set up for New Zealand excusively and they are now broadcasting Sky services over Australia (now on Aus/NZ transponders). Do you think the share price is high due to increased chance of fraud?

Snow Leopard
17-11-2006, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by ds

Now that we know that Sky's new D1 Satellite's transponders are not set up for New Zealand excusively and they are now broadcasting Sky services over Australia (now on Aus/NZ transponders). Do you think the share price is high due to increased chance of fraud?

No.

I can not follow your line of reasoning here.
Presumably if you want to watch the pay NZ channels you need to pay a NZ subscription independent of where in the world you are.

ds
17-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes, but the signal was just NZ's on B1 but now with the Aussies able to receive the signal maybe there will be a greater chance of someone cracking the encryption. Like in the UK with BskyB.

metro
18-11-2006, 01:39 PM
From NZ Herald Saturday 18th November

Brian Gaynor: Sky to gain more ground over TVNZ
Saturday November 18, 2006

The Government's decision to give TVNZ $79 million for its new free-to-air digital services was called a "bail-out" by CanWest chief executive Brent Impey.

Impey is not far from the truth as CanWest MediaWorks and Sky Network Television have given TVNZ a hiding in recent years in terms of ratings, revenue and profitability.

Most investors believe the rout of TVNZ will continue, particularly as far as Sky is concerned.

Rugby has played a major role in Sky's success and the pay-TV operator looks more like the All Blacks in Lyon last weekend while TVNZ resembles the French.

The company is superbly managed and has more television channels than All Black squad members whereas TVNZ has a number of high-profile individuals but is not putting it together as a team.

Meanwhile TV3, which had a dreadful start, is winning more and more games each season under Impey's stewardship.

The three major television groups have published their 2006 annual reports and the financial data in the accompanying table gives a clear indication of their relative performance.

The first point to note is that Sky is the country's biggest television company with revenue of $549 million compared with $409.8 million for TVNZ and $254.3 million for CanWest (CanWest had television revenue of $143.6 million).

This development is relatively new as TVNZ's television revenue exceeded that of Sky TV until 2003.

The second point to note is that the two free-to-air stations, CanWest (TV3 and C4) and TVNZ (TV One and TV2) generate most of their revenue from advertising whereas Sky is heavily reliant on subscriptions.

TVNZ is losing ground in terms of advertising as it suffered a 2.7 per cent decline in revenue from this source in the June 2006 year whereas CanWest's television revenue increased slightly.

TVNZ's major problem is that its costs are growing far more quickly than its revenue. Since 2003 advertising revenue has increased only 9.8 per cent or $30.0 million whereas programme costs, its biggest expense, have risen 25.4 per cent or $47.5 million (TVNZ received $29.4 million of government funding in 2006, mainly for programmes).

Sky has a relatively low level of advertising revenue with Prime Television (acquired on February 8, 2006) contributing $7.1 million to the June 2006 year figure of $47.3 million. The backbone to Sky is its subscription revenue, which has risen by 38.4 per cent or $129.9 million since 2003.

Over the same three-year period the group's programme costs have increased by only 5.7 per cent or $9.6 million.

Chief executive John Fellet is confident that subscriber numbers will continue to grow and he told the recent annual meeting that Sky is installed in 42 per cent of New Zealand homes whereas the pay-per-view penetration rate in the United States is nearly 90 per cent.

Fellet often jokes that rugby is a major key to Sky TV's success and the best outcome for his company would be a 52-week season.

Sky had operating earnings or earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (ebitda) of $246.5 million for the June 2006 year, substantially ahead of both CanWest and TVNZ. The pay-per-view company had an ebitda margin of 44.9 per cent compared with 25.8 per cent for CanWest and a mere 8.3 per cent for TVNZ. CanWest's television margin was 24.9 per cent and 30 per cent for radio.

Sky's operating margin has steadily increased over the past few years while TVNZ's has declined. CanWest's ebitda margin expanded in 2004 and 2005 but fell in the latest year because of the difficult advertising market.

TVNZ is in a difficult situation because it is caught between two conflicting objectives, namely the need to achieve a commercial return and its charter requirements. This makes it extremely difficult to compete with a powerful pay-per-view operator and a lean and mean CanWest.

RTE, the Irish national broadcaster with a similar conflict between comm

ratkin
19-11-2006, 07:39 PM
It is one thing to provide information and spread ideas about stocks
Refer to my thread "ryman too boring to talk about" and you will see i have posted my views before

In your case you give good info however you spoil it by advertising your newsletter on the post. Clearly you are trying to gather customers, this is the real reason for your posting, not the desire to inform

pimpit
19-11-2006, 11:39 PM
why buy or sell on other people advise, put the numbers on warren buffet formula....simple...as per WB formula I value this stock at 410c

Placebo
20-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks Hiawatha. The Herald article I read suggested there would be sport content on TVNZ digital, so I blame my sources!;)

Ratkin: Get over yourself. If you have whinges about Metro's posts, alert them to the administrator. Read the terms and conditions, you will find his posts are perfectly acceptable. Try saying something positive (about anything!).

Pimpit: That is as may be, however Mr Market currently rates this stock at 595 (or thereabouts). I favour it for a number of reasons:
Near-monopoly in pay TV market
Dominant player in overall TV market (see Gaynor analysis above)
Outstanding management (see record over last 5 years)
Heavy cash flows and low relative debt levels
Benign regulatory environment (by comparison see TVNZ, strangled by its charter)
Excellent ebit margins and reducing churn
operating risk profile: low.

I rate it a good medium-long term hold and it will be staying in my portfolio for a wee while yet!

pimpit
20-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Warren Buffet said “short term market is a voting machine long term it is a weighing machine”.

CJ
20-11-2006, 11:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Placebo
24 hour news channel: Will be mainly local content with bulletins on the hour (comment: there isn't enough news to fill 1 1-hour bulletin a day at present -- how to fill 24??)

NZ Herald reported (without denial from TVNZ) that there will be a high proportion of repeats on the digital platform.

There will still be a cost barrier (albeit low -- about $200 to buy the decoder).

re news: your not meant to watch it for 24 hours. You meant be be able to watch if for say 1 hour a day (but any hour you want).

Re repeats: My flat mates pretty much only watch repeats of Friends (digital channel in the UK). drives me made but they are happy.

Re decoder: All TV will include them shortly. With NZ being one of the last countries to go digital, this is a great benefit.

Placebo
21-11-2006, 08:42 AM
CJ: Good points. TV has been around for 50+ years so there are whole generations who think Hogan's Heroes and Mash are the most original, cutting edge TV they have ever seen. How many channels of repeats are there, marketed as "UK Gold" etc etc (and yes, even whole radio stations -- I am a Hauraki fan!)

Decoders: I am wondering if once the digital platform is up and running the `other' type of transmission will drop -- i.e. if you want to watch TV of any sort you will need a set-top box.

In any case, my original view stands: None of this is a threat to Sky!

djones
21-11-2006, 02:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by pimpit

why buy or sell on other people advise, put the numbers on warren buffet formula....simple...as per WB formula I value this stock at 410c

You are doing just that and using WB's advice.

pimpit
21-11-2006, 03:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by djones

You are doing just that and using WB's advice.

djones: don’t be so nosey, metro’s investment advice newsletter is $105 per year, 1 share in Berkshire Hathaway Inc is over 100,000.00

http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcddata.html?ticker=BRKA

metro
27-12-2006, 02:30 PM
When I started this thread on 30.10.2006 the price was $5.55. Today the stock is up another 14c with last sale at $6.49

A nice 17% gain in less than 2 months!! Enjoying the run.

bull....
22-06-2008, 10:41 AM
See sky tv have a promo going , Is this a indication of a tough environment ahead for discretionary spending and perhaps exsisting subscribers not renewing because of reduced income?

BRICKS
22-06-2008, 11:37 AM
See sky tv have a promo going , Is this a indication of a tough environment ahead for discretionary spending and perhaps exsisting subscribers not renewing because of reduced income?

THEY always have a promo going so what is NEW..

JMKC
22-06-2008, 03:12 PM
They are just releasing their hd product...not surprising they are doing some marketing...

ratkin
23-06-2008, 05:03 AM
Have often considered buying this stock but never pulled the trigger.
As a long term investor i like to look to the future and to be honest it seems rather murky where sky is concerned.

The big worry is the internet , not only is it taking over from tv in terms of leisure activity of choice it also potentially could take over the actual programe deliver.

Add in a recession where many people will be forced to choose between sky or their internet due to financial worries and you could well see a stagnation in subscriber numbers.

I know which i would get rid of first and it wouldnt be my internet connection

Steve
28-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Will SKT suffer political interference as have TEL and AIA, or will they be saved by the election?

Sky fears rivals will win numbers game (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4599798a13.html)
Sky Television says it is worried that the Government may be swayed by calls to split up or otherwise hobble the broadcaster, and that numbers may be against it.

The Culture and Heritage Ministry is conducting a review of broadcasting regulation and is due to report back to the Cabinet next month.

Options could include the "unbundling" of Sky set-top boxes, "anti-siphoning controls" that would limit its ability to buy exclusive broadcasting rights to sporting events, and "must carry" obligations that might force Sky to carry competing channels on terms set by regulators.

brettdale
28-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Who is the The Culture and Heritage Minister?

modandm
02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
SKT hasnet been mentioned since 2008 seems unbelievable...

has been in a strong growth trend for last 6 months (along with many others) but possibly the big gamechanger and stimulus for sky has been the introduction and sucess of MYSKYHDi. Seems like everyone has upgraded and this must be great for SKY as a monthly price/value increase.

Has suffered a big fall in last week but im thinking of jumping on to see the trend resume.

Opinions on sky?

percy
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Modandm.
This company has the largest moat of any company in NZ.ie it is darn near impossible to
set up against them.
My sky has been a winner.In our house we now have another decoder so another $25 per month.
Young people grow up with it and when they set up home so they get sky installed.
Seems the churm rate is very low.

macduffy
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I agree with that, percy. One of the better stocks on the NZX, IMO.

I "inherited" my shareholding from the merger with INL some years back. I didn't like it at the time but since then, of course, newspapers have had it tough so things worked out alright!

Don't have Sky myself - one of the few Kiwis without it but do find myself weakening at times.

:)

ratkin
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Not so sure about that , internet tv watching could explode fairly quickly.

I already watch most of my foreign sport on http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports and also subscribe to mlb baseball

Avatar is on justin tv at the moment on their entertainment channels , wont be on sky for months

minimoke
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Don't have Sky myself - one of the few Kiwis without it but do find myself weakening at times.

:)
Neither do I. 12 channels of sh*t on Freeview - can't see the need to spend more for more channels of rubbish with Sky.

CJ
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Not so sure about that , internet tv watching could explode fairly quickly.Agree. What we need is faster broadband but John is seeing to that.

Subscribe to sports so you can get them live direct from the operation (ie MLB, or in the future: Alll Blacks etc) and everything else can be downloaded and watched when convienent.

In the US, most network shows can be watched on Hulu over the internet.

ENP
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
What's everyones opinion on sky tv?

It's basically a monopoly with no real competition in NZ. It's overpriced right now but if it goes back down to about $3.20 is what it was at...

percy
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
ENP Refer to my earlier post.I do not think it will visit $3.20.Would appear to me to be in a strong uptrend.I watch Rugby and Formula One.Wife watches UK TV while daughter watches Films.
Granddaughter watches Disney and Cartoons.I used to watch business programs but now spend more time on sharetrader.

Snoopy
05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I used to watch business programs but now spend more time on sharetrader.

A wise move Percy, to get away from that desperate American hype. I reckon it is only a matter of time before sharetrader takes over. Sky has had it, I think :-)

SNOOPY

percy
05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
A wise move Percy, to get away from that desperate American hype. I reckon it is only a matter of time before sharetrader takes over. Sky has had it, I think :-)

SNOOPY
Lot easier to have a nap watching TV.all you bright people on sharetrader keep me awake trying to keep up with you.Do not tell anyone but I had to record NASCAR races as I always fell asleep
before the finish.When I awoke then had to fast forward to the finish to see who won!!!!Cannot do that on sharetrader.

ENP
14-05-2010, 10:17 AM
How come sky tv's depreciation is quite high? Is this for their satellites and the buildings, etc?

CJ
14-05-2010, 10:21 AM
How come sky tv's depreciation is quite high? Is this for their satellites and the buildings, etc?

Dont they own most of the decoders and all the aerials and satellites on peoples roofs.

ENP
14-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Dont they own most of the decoders and all the aerials and satellites on peoples roofs.

So they can depreciate that too? Well then that makes sense. They have 1.6 million households or something like that.

percy
20-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Good result out today.Steady growth story just gets stronger.

whirly
09-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Some big volume going through last few days. Nearly 4m traded at 510 half an hour ago.

Who's getting out and why?

Hoop
17-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Some big volume going through last few days. Nearly 4m traded at 510 half an hour ago.

Who's getting out and why?

Hi Whirly.
I don't know who and I don't know if there are more than one player, but there has been some very big exits on the 9th and 10th.
SKT wasn't the only share that got Phaedrus favourite indicator (OBV) dented to the point of triggering a warning sign
These shares I've noticed with above the norm daily trading volume and there is probably more out there
SKC..26 M traded on the 10th
AIA....4 M traded on the 9th
FBU...11M traded on the 9th
TEL...70M traded on the 10th
CEN...1.4M traded on the 9th
TWR..0.8M traded on the 9th

Where did this cashed up money go?
From the NZ$ chart it seems it left NZ. The chart shows a primary uptrend break ...if that was smart money it certainly caused a gap down in the NZ$ index.
Anyone know who it was exiting..a large fund institution heading for greener pastures or is there some dark economic clouds building ?

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/Hoop_1/NZdollar16122010.png

whirly
17-12-2010, 07:17 PM
hmmm, that doesn't ease my mind one bit. Well spotted Hoop. You can add FPA(7.5m) and NPX(1.1m) to your list of huge volume on those days.

Shown here NZX index over past two years. These sell offs have happened sporadically but always preceding a downtrend. Index price is up since the selloff? Phaedrus, what's your take?

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/whirlynz/nz50_ix15dec08_to_12jan11.jpg

POSSUM THE CAT
18-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Whirly maybe losing customers to freeview. must have a huge telemarketing campaign going at the moment. Two telemarketing calls in two days is a sign of desperation IMO

whirly
18-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Maybe Possum but there must also be people like me who have only recently graduated to Freeview from peasant tv, only to find that its the same old proverbial and then take up Sky for the sport and movies. I'm very pleased to hear they're busy promoting their products and raising awareness of all that's to come in 2011.

Phaedrus
18-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Phaedrus, what's your take?On SKT? Well, that big selloff is not the sort of thing that holders like to see and with some confirmation, it would qualify as a sell signal...... but there isn't any. In fact, SKT has just given a Bullish divergence as shown in the attached chart. Look, too, at the last candlestick. SKT opened at $5.17, was sold down to $5.13 (right on the trendline) and then solid buying kicked in, taking it all the way up to $5.25 where it closed at the high of the day. This augers well for next week, particularly in view of the fact that stocks are often sold down on Fridays by short-term traders unwilling to hold over the weekend.
Price plot and OBV signals often confirm each other, giving reasonably reliable buy/sell signals. When they disagree, as is the case here, it is usually best to do nothing. In other words, SKT remains a Hold.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/SKT1218.gif

whirly
19-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks very much Phaedrus. My stops are at 509 so yep still holding.

I will now have a look at the NZSX - good news thread to see if you or any others have an opinion on the sell off across the market last weak.

Cheers
Whirly

h2so4
19-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks very much Phaedrus. My stops are at 509 so yep still holding.

I will now have a look at the NZSX - good news thread to see if you or any others have an opinion on the sell off across the market last weak.

Cheers
Whirly

........I suspect it's people going nuts.:) But who knows and who cares?

Hoop
20-12-2010, 07:42 AM
The combination of today's Stuffs news article and the new TV's being network/ internet capable you can now appreciate the reasoning why SKY is serious this time around to relaunch it's online Sky On Demand facility called iSKY ...sky subscribers can sign up here at this link https://www.skytv.co.nz/skyid/signin.html#https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skytv.co.nz%2Fmyacco unt%2F

Disc: no affiliation with SKY and don't have SKT shares

UFB could broadcast 500 TV channels

TOM PULLAR-STRECKER - BusinessDay.co.nz Last updated 05:00 20/12/2010

Broadcasting Minister Jonathan Coleman said the Government could use existing legislation to stop Sky TV from monopolising television delivered over the ultrafast broadband (UFB) network in the "unlikely" event that became an issue.
Crown Fibre Holdings said the UFB network would include an analogue "radio frequency overlay" channel, in addition to the two channels needed to carry downstream and upstream internet traffic. It said the channel would be capable of carrying at least 500 television channels.
Unlike existing bandwidth-hungry IPTV-based internet television services, RF overlay would allow television channels to be broadcast over fibre without eating up internet bandwidth. It could eventually make satellite dishes and UHF aerials redundant for television viewers in towns and cities. However, Sky chief executive John Fellet said prices for RF overlay overseas were "terribly expensive" and its main interest might be in using it to reach the likes of apartment buildings and sites where satellite dishes were discouraged or impractical.
John Nixon, managing director of Optical Network Engineering and an expert in the technology, said broadcasters were likely to use a mix of RF overlay-over-fibre, digital terrestrial and satellite services to broadcast channels to customers, while using IPTV – also delivered over fibre – for video-on-demand and interactive content.
Dr Coleman said there was a scenario in which a "broadcaster with deep pockets, Sky, could take up the capacity of RF overlay", but that was pretty unlikely. "If that happened, you have already got the Telecommunications Act and the Commerce Commission."
Mr Nixon said capacity issues were unlikely to constrain competition, especially as it would be possible to add additional RF channels.
Freeview chief executive Sam Irvine said the "big issue" would be if telecommunications companies retailing the UFB network had exclusive relationships with pay-television providers that did not allow them to provide their own content, so the only content going over the RF overlay was Sky's. "That then raises all sorts of questions because the payback of the UFB network is video content, and you need consumer choice and innovation to develop that."
Mr Fellet said it would not constrain telcos' ability to independently source content that it could not buy on their behalf.

macduffy
18-02-2011, 11:30 AM
A good interim result from SKT.

NPAT at $60m, up 19%.

Increased divvy of 8cps.

Incidentally, despite continuing tough conditions, isn't it encouraging to see so many NZ companies doing a bit better this year? FBU, NZR, STU and SKT for starters.

Doesn't seem to be much recognition or discussion, so far!

minimoke
18-02-2011, 11:42 AM
"The improved financial results can be attributed to both the continuing success of the MySKY HDi decoder "

Which contrasts with TEL and TVNZ foray into Tivo which has major problems with sales volumes and now the potential loss of EPG data via Hybrid. MySki HDi looking more attractive once this news gets through. (though they really need to look at the useless www.myskyhdi.co.nz website. You could die from boredom waiting for it to load.

CJ
18-02-2011, 01:06 PM
"The improved financial results can be attributed to both the continuing success of the MySKY HDi decoder "

Which contrasts with TEL and TVNZ foray into Tivo which has major problems with sales volumes and now the potential loss of EPG data via Hybrid. MySki HDi looking more attractive once this news gets through. (though they really need to look at the useless www.myskyhdi.co.nz website. You could die from boredom waiting for it to load.Tivo was doomed due to the why they tried to distribute it. It should be on the shelves in Noel Leeming where the VCR's use to sit - Tivo is a cheaper (depending on the deal) and better verson of the other Freeview recorders Noels is trying to sell. [edit - if they put a commission on it to incentive staff, every tv that went out the door to a non skytv househould would have had a tivo box with it.]

Skys distribution is great and they have a real incentive to do so as they get recurring revenue from it.

minimoke
18-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Tivo is a cheaper (depending on the deal)
At $360 on $10 a month Tivo was a great deal - better than My Sky HDi at $15 a month and better than a terrestrial freeview box and PVR put together. Just goes to show how useless TEL and TVNZ are (as they continue to erode shareholder value) - but leaves SKT to keep working that market to shareholder benefit.

Mothman
22-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Just my theory but as News limited is rumoured to have been rejected by the regulators in Australia for Foxtel to make a full takeover of Austar, maybe they might be keen to mop up the 40%ish they don't own of SKT.

Good cross rate to convert AUD to NZD for the takeover, they will probably have to offer around $7 per share with a sweetener on top to secure.

Just as SKT is starting to turn in some good profits, great subscriber base, amazing monopoly business..perfect time to pounce on the juicy target. In my hairbrained opinion of course...

macduffy
26-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Good result from SKT.

NPAT up 16.8%,

Final div 10.5cps, Special div of 25cps. No reason for Special div given in the abbreviated report that we get from NZX.

SP up 15c today.

percy
26-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Good result from SKT.

NPAT up 16.8%,

Final div 10.5cps, Special div of 25cps. No reason for Special div given in the abbreviated report that we get from NZX.

SP up 15c today.

Very pleasing result.Special divie a nice surprise.[maybe Rupert needs the cash ]

macduffy
27-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Here's the company's rationale for paying the special dividend.

"Chief executive John Fellet said the Sky board had been conservative on dividends policy in the past, especially after the global financial crisis.

"There have been other times we could have given a bigger dividend but we kept a reserve. We feel a bit more comfortable about the market now," he said."

CJ
16-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Doesn't look like anyone has posted on SkyTV in a while.

ComCom has approved Igloo but is looking at internet deals.

With todays price crash I think it is a buy? Anyone actually follow this one?

CJ
16-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I believe with the axing of standard tv reception in Sept 2012 there will be a big boost to subscriber numbersWhy? Because people have to buy a box, they decide to upgrade to sky? Otherwise, Freeview is better than standard TV and most new TV's come with freeview built in so peopel may actually opt out of Sky.

Being a Tivo user, I cnat image anyone would go back to live tv once they have had mySky or Tivo.

Internet TV doesn't worry me to much as Sky has all the good content. Illegal downloaders will still be as prevalent as in the past.

Major von Tempsky
16-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Sky TV's price has crashed for the same reason that Chorus's share price crashed and Telecom before it. And Meridian, Genesis, Mighty River, Contact and Solid Energy will after it. And more that we cannot yet guess at.
Until the Government brings ComCom under control NZ is no place for investors. Its the beginning of the end of the NZX and NZ having a sharemarket. Australia under Labour and Julia Gillard/Swan is a friendlier place than NZ under ComCom regardless of what stripe of government we have!

pierre
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Hmmm - so the Todd Family has sold out of Sky. In my experience (I've worked in businesses owned or supplied by them) they don't make major moves wthout a damn good reason.

I wonder what dark clouds are on the horizon for Sky? The Todd's usually have a pretty long telescope - and their vision is generally spot on.

ratkin
02-11-2012, 05:12 PM
The Todd's usually have a pretty long telescope - and their vision is generally spot on.

Thats what i thought when i followed them into Provenco.
Thankfully i had the sense to get out without too much damage

Halebop
02-11-2012, 05:46 PM
I wonder what dark clouds are on the horizon for Sky?

In an environment where customers have access to online streaming services (both legal and not) it seems probable that some combination of retention, margin and/or growth would be impacted. While Sky may transition to a model that copes with this, it seems likely it will also add complexity and cost in the interim. I find enough uncertainty with future prospects to avoid.

Jim
29-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Special dividend 32 cents Woooow

iceman
29-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Special dividend 32 cents Woooow
Good news indeed for shareholders Jim. I am not a holder but was meaning to a couple of months ago but decided instead to buy an apartment in Europe. Time will tell which was the better investment !

CJ
30-11-2012, 08:01 AM
The reference to paying the special dividend to payout IC's (as opposed to surplus cash) must signify that they expect a sell down by News Corp (note: if News Corp sold, all IC would be forfeited).

There have been rumours so this indication by the board can only cement them??

Silverlight
30-11-2012, 08:16 AM
note: if News Corp sold, all IC would be forfeited.

Hi CJ, can you expand on that, why would the credits be forfeited?

Are there rules with the IRD and tax credits becoming defunct when there are changes in ownership greater than a certain percent?

thanks

Silverlight
30-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Did some digging found the answer :)

Change of shareholder continuity

Imputation credits can only be passed on to shareholders if at least 66% of the company’s voting rights and/or market value interests haven’t changed hands, from the date the credits arose in the ICA to the date when they are passed on to the shareholders—see page 18 for special rules for qualifying companies.

Shareholders’ economic interests in a company are generally measured by reference to their direct and indirect voting interests in the company. In certain circumstances the shareholders’ economic interests in a company will also be determined by the market value of interests in the company. This happens when the voting interests don’t reflect the true economic interests held in the company. For more information about this, see our Tax Information Bulletin (TIB) Vol 3, No 7 (April 1992).

If a company’s shareholder interests change by more than 34%, the company has lost shareholder continuity. In this situation it must enter a debit in its ICA to eliminate any unused credit balance.

CJ
30-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Did some digging found the answer :)Thats the one. There are rules so you can pretty much ignore movements between small (<10%) shareholders.

But Todd sold out 10% so only need another 23%ish to sell, News Corp owns 40%ish?? so if they sell they are gone.

Normally if the transaction was orderly, a special dividend would be paid just prior. So preempting it suggests a non orderly rushed transaction??

Hoop
30-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi guys Can you elaborate more about this IRD thing and the possible reasons why SKT have it....reading the IRD piece...Am I right to believe that this is a defensive weapon created by the IRD to deter hostile takeovers which seems to has a negative effect on everyone (e.g incl mum and dad investors) not just towards the hostile raider only???....

I can't quite understand the IRD rationale here..it seems destructive to me....as it forces the company into creating a special dividend whether it has surplus cash or not.

There are other defensive strategies to deter a hostile takeover...e.g shareholder rights issue trigger + heaps of others.

From my confused understanding of this IRD piece it seems SKT is more worried about the dumping scenario and not the possible takeover scenario..............or both?............Have I got the correct understanding of the IRD law????.

So why did the shareprice go up??..SKT is giving away part of its assets?...What happens in the future?...do they have to build the ICs up again and with the possibly the next dividend is not or only partially ICed??

Does that apply to STU now...has STU lost its IC with its major shareholder exiting:confused:

Aaron
30-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Am I right to believe that this is a defensive weapon created by the IRD to deter hostile takeovers which seems to has a negative effect on everyone (e.g incl mum and dad investors) not just towards the hostile raider only???....
:

The imputation regime has nothing to do with takeovers but can be affected by them. The imputation regime was designed to prevent the double taxation of company earnings. A company pays tax on its profits. When the company pays tax this is recorded in an imputation credit account. When a dividend is paid these imputation credits can be attached to dividends to avoid taxing the same income twice. Rules around shareholder changes is to avoid trading in imputation credits. i.e the shareholders who owned the company when it made the profits and paid the tax should be the ones to benefit from the imputation credits. Cleaning out the imputation credit account by paying a special dividend could indicate a change of shareholders owning more than 10% could be imminent.
I am not sure about the rules for a publicly listed (widely held) company. A less than 10% holding can be traded without affecting the imputation credit account so I guess the 66% continuity would be based on transfers of more than 10% so a lot would depend on when shares are transferred and taxes paid. It would seem pretty harsh if a large shareholder could wipe out the imputation credit account without warning management.

CJ
30-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Good summary from Aaron. The rules are designed so that the shareholders that paid the tax receive the benefit. It is an anti-avoidance type rule to stop you transferring your shareholding to another person who can better use the imputation credits. The rational is a bit flawed as if the asset was a physical asset, rather than tax, there is no issue with this.

It would seem pretty harsh if a large shareholder could wipe out the imputation credit account without warning management.I don't believe there is any room for IRD discretion on this.

Hoop - re:STU, my guess is yes. Per the AR2012, they had 18m IC's and roughly paid tax of $5m (new IC's) and IC's on dividends of $5m so they were essentially neutral annually. Therefore, it wont have an impact on normal dividends (since IC's attached normally less than the tax paid) but may effect a future special dividend.

Note: the likes of FBU don't have enough IC's as some of their profit is earned (and taxed) overseas. As such, they attach RWT credits as well.

Hoop
30-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for that guys...much appreciated

sideline
30-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Note: the likes of FBU don't have enough IC's as some of their profit is earned (and taxed) overseas. As such, they attach RWT credits as well.

they attach RWT credits as well ?????
Rather they take them out of your dividend, thereby reducing the dividend paid out!!!!!

sideline
30-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Just a question for those who know the technical details:

Are the imputation credits lost immediately when the ownership changes enough
OR
can they just not be carried forward into the next tax year???

Thx

CJ
30-11-2012, 12:23 PM
they attach RWT credits as well ?????
Rather they take them out of your dividend, thereby reducing the dividend paid out!!!!!Sorry. To be correct, to the extent a dividend is not imputed to 33% (can be altered in some situations, ie, if you have a COE), the company must withhold RWT upto the 33% amount. Therefore most dividends now will come with 28% IC and 5% RWT.

Just a question for those who know the technical details:

Are the imputation credits lost immediately when the ownership changes enough
OR
can they just not be carried forward into the next tax year???It is a debit to the ICA at the date of the breach (think of the ICA as a bank account that records tax payments in and out. On the date of the breach, the account is cleared to zero. It must be in a credit position as at 31 March).

If for some reason (ie. to correct a prior error) you had to include another debit before that date, the debit on breach would be adjusted. There are a few weird rules where tax pooling providers are used.

sideline
30-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks CJ for the clarification

noodles
08-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Has anybody considered stripping the dividend on Sky TV. In the next 3 months we will likely get 43c dividend plus imputation credits (total 60c). Thus the share price would need to drop 60c to make a loss. There will be a cost of brokerage, slippage, and cost of capital as well.

The ex-dividend is on Monday for special dividend. The second dividend is made March 2013. So you would need to hold for 3 months. Will the commerce commission keep quiet during that period?

The average broker target is around 5.35, so it would seem undervalued much below 5.00. There might be some overhand after Todd sold out, but I'm sure CSFB would not want to make a loss (5.05 was the price that Todd sold out at). Perhaps this is currently having affect on the price?

Perhaps another options is to sell just before Xmas in the hope of a xmas rally and look to just strip the special dividend.

Is there a legal holding period for using imputation credits? I know there is in Australia with Franking Credits.

artemis
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
SKT featured in the Broker's View column in today's DomPost. Main points:

- 450k households coming off analogue TV will be migrating to Freeview, Sky or Igloo by end of 2013
- SKT is majority Igloo shareholder
- ComCom is investigaiing contracts with ISPs but broker does not think this a big risk
- expects rise in share price and dividend in next 2 years due to increase in subscribers

Dubdee
09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
smart companies make a large dividend payment sufficent to clear the IC account before the change of ownership takes place. Have a look at Tel in the past.

Silverlight
18-12-2012, 03:38 PM
The special dividend was trigger by the change of ownership losing credits, however Newscorp won't be selling, but the planned separation of Newscorp into two companies creates the change of ownership indirectly.

News Corporation today announced that it intends to pursue the separation of its publishing and media and entertainment businesses into two distinct publicly traded companies.

Read more here (http://investor.newscorp.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1181431-12-38246)

macduffy
25-02-2013, 03:36 PM
FWIW, Macquarie has an "outperform" on SKT following its profit report last week.

I hold a few, legacy of the old INL days. And not selling.

percy
25-02-2013, 04:03 PM
FWIW, Macquarie has an "outperform" on SKT following its profit report last week.

I hold a few, legacy of the old INL days. And not selling.

I think you and Macquaries are right.I missed read things and followed Todds out the door.The result was great,and I am thinking maybe I have done the wrong thing.Brought more HNZ ,after today's result, so will be interesting to see which performs better over the next couple of years.

macduffy
25-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I think you and Macquaries are right.I missed read things and followed Todds out the door.The result was great,and I am thinking maybe I have done the wrong thing.Brought more HNZ ,after today's result, so will be interesting to see which performs better over the next couple of years.

Yes, an interesting contest!

You may well be on to a good thing with HNZ. I havn't ever considered them seriously, being up to my gills in long-term holdings of Aussie banks which have done well for me over the years. HNZ are and should be well supported, being the only listed NZ bank here. Now if only TSB were to "corporatize" and join the lists........

:cool:

CJ
04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
The reference to paying the special dividend to payout IC's (as opposed to surplus cash) must signify that they expect a sell down by News Corp (note: if News Corp sold, all IC would be forfeited).

There have been rumours so this indication by the board can only cement them??Boom!!!

Anyone getting in on the action?

I'm fully invested so not looking at it.

bohemian
04-03-2013, 07:13 AM
I have already put my order in.

Balance
04-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Best to stay clear of some of these sell downs.

Look at the AIA sell down.

Hedge funds got involved and the sp fell 5 cents below placement price as they sold down.

Soolaimon
04-03-2013, 09:14 AM

Hedge funds got involved and the sp fell 5 cents below placement price as they sold down.

But they soon recovered???

Hoop
04-03-2013, 09:33 AM

Money is scarce as most investors are "all in". ...Look at others such as AIA ATM STU, it has taken them a long time to absorb the surplus "available" shares into the market
If the SKT is sweet enough >$4.75??..I wonder which share or shares the investors would dump to take up the SKT scenario...Hmmm it may be time to review the more iffy shares in my portfolio to minimise this backwash risk.
Hmmm ...This sell down would have to be viewed as smart money exiting.....I'm taking Balances advice ...I think there will be plenty of time to think about this as more details emerge.
Looking back to some previous posts..4 months ago...the writing was on the wall then.....CJ great post in hindsight..eh?
I think the world is changing and SKT current business environment has to alter....Agree with Halebop 100%.

Hmmm - so the Todd Family has sold out of Sky. In my experience (I've worked in businesses owned or supplied by them) they don't make major moves wthout a damn good reason.

I wonder what dark clouds are on the horizon for Sky? The Todd's usually have a pretty long telescope - and their vision is generally spot on.

In an environment where customers have access to online streaming services (both legal and not) it seems probable that some combination of retention, margin and/or growth would be impacted. While Sky may transition to a model that copes with this, it seems likely it will also add complexity and cost in the interim. I find enough uncertainty with future prospects to avoid.

There have been rumours so this indication by the board can only cement them??

percy
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
I have brought back in at $4.80 on placement from Craigs.

CJ
04-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Looking back to some previous posts..4 months ago...the writing was on the wall then.....CJ great post in hindsight..eh?quite predictable really.

Imagine sitting around the board room table sipping whisky and smoking a cigar: "Todds just sold out, if Murdoch does, out IC's are gone. Maybe we should do a bonus dividend".
All eyes go to News Corps representative. A simple nod from him confirms the plan and a motion is raised and seconded and a resolution passed. A simple shake of the head and they could have retained that cash.

CJ
04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Money is scarce as most investors are "all in". ...Look at others such as AIA ATM STU, it has taken them a long time to absorb the surplus "available" shares into the marketAnd with MRP coming up as well.

Markets too good not to be all in but it would be a great time to be cashed up with all these discounted placements happening.

I am wondering what I should be selling down to get into MRP. Or maybe I should just put it on the house, I am sure ASB would oblige if I told them it was for renovations.

Hoop
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I have brought back in at $4.80 on placement from Craigs.

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/Hoop_1/SKT01032013.png

ratkin
04-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Why they exodus?

Im put off by the migration to viewing in the internet.

Hardly watch any sky these days. For 5 dollar a month i use myexpatnetwork to watch uk tv BBC ITV and channel 4
can watch what i want when i want . Upto date coro , documentarys the lot

http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/ (http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/)

Hoop
04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Sky and our local channels have to compete with the likes of this popular global internet TV freebie..... http://projectfree.tv/

ratkin
04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Growth opportunities for SKT are, in my opinion, probably modest going forward. But for those looking to invest for dividend income they are probably still a good buy. Sure there is a lot of stuff available online now. But not everybody watches TV in that way. Really, who wants to watch a movie (apart from kids) on an itsy bitsy smartphone or tablet screen? I know I don't. Internet TV is obviously the way of the future, but come on, you think SkyTV can't operate in that space?

I just hook the laptop up to the tv , change will come quickly imo , bandwidth not a problem with higher data limits and speeds. sky subscriptions must be reaching saturation point , maybe a lift when the digital switchover happens but thats it

CJ
04-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I just hook the laptop up to the tv , change will come quickly imo , bandwidth not a problem with higher data limits and speeds. sky subscriptions must be reaching saturation point , maybe a lift when the digital switchover happens but thats itAgree. And with the Fibre to the door, bandwidth (in NZ atleast) will no longer be an issue.

The key for sky is retaining its exclusive rights to content in NZ. Once they lose that, or a Regulator makes them onsell, then their dominance will end.

If telecom could get that content and stream it to their own box (eg. how Telstraclear does in Wellington), then that would be a deal changer. Telecom must be wondering how to get that content.

percy
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=CJ;395918].

The key for sky is retaining its exclusive rights to content in NZ. Once they lose that, or a Regulator makes them onsell, then their dominance will end.

I agree it is all about content.

Silverlight
04-03-2013, 01:48 PM
My home network fully integrated, i.e. TV is connected to network through both playstation, xbox, apple tv, which in turn are connected to our stereos, pc's and macs around the house. The family can watch and move any content between almost any device.

We have just upgraded to fibre with Orcon on 100Mb connection all you can eat, however if we choose to buy a movie over apple tv and not go to the store, its still a 4gb file to download, and it still takes 15-30mins to download. Orcon still has to access overseas bandwidth to download my content, which is the constraint. The benefit of fibre is that Sky may not be showing the movie I want (unlikely but a possibility). With My Sky you can watch what you want when you want. Sky owns the content, sure, but they own the distribution too, they have invested well in that capability like Telstra has in Wellington, as CJ mentioned.

Telecom is no longer in that position as they don't own Chorus anymore. I doubt the comcom will find anything to pin against SKT, and the status quo will hold. iSky is also very competitive compared to apple TV etc, and Sky have continued to adapt to different forms of media.

The news corp exit will provide good liquidity in the shares going forward, while growth is slowing, the gross yield is looking really attractive at 10%+ below $5.

macduffy
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=CJ;395918].

I agree it is all about content.

But how "exclusive" are their rights? I seem to recall Sky bidding against TVNZ for various sporting events and not winning them all.

However, I've taken a few off Rupert's hands today at $4.80, cum the 12c dividend.

biker
04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
I have also taken a chunk from the sell down. May not be forever, but at the moment and medium term, still nothing beats My Sky+ HDI. Good yield and growth not over yet IMHO. Not a huge discount but also cum the 12c dividend. Sometimes I need a bit of a nudge to get into a stock and this was it.

percy
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I have also taken a chunk from the sell down. May not be forever, but at the moment and medium term, still nothing beats My Sky+ HDI. Good yield and growth not over yet IMHO. Not a huge discount but also cum the 12c dividend. Sometimes I need a bit of a nudge to get into a stock and this was it.
I noticed from the commentary in the interim report that over 51.2% of subscribers have my sky for which the churm rate is a lot lower.So they are still growing earnings from existing subscribers.

BIRMANBOY
04-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I thought it was on a trading halt? Or did you buy yesterday?

BIRMANBOY
04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Will be interesting to see if the Fairfax holding is sold at a discount to SP...thats a lot of shares to unload..surely should drive price down..one would think.

Xerof
04-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Bboy, it is in a trading halt, for two days, whilst the broker places the stock with insto's and other clients willing to buy them. Apparently, the price they are being placed at is 4.80 cum divvy.

ATM was similar situation recently, when foundation holders sold down at a discount

seems to be becoming a regular event.....in my language it's called distribution.....

oh yes, and it's the ides of March too :scared::scared:

BIRMANBOY
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
You would think its a buyers market...$4.10 take it or leave it or on yer trike. Et tu brute.
Bboy, it is in a trading halt, for two days, whilst the broker places the stock with insto's and other clients willing to buy them. Apparently, the price they are being placed at is 4.80 cum divvy.

ATM was similar situation recently, when foundation holders sold down at a discount

seems to be becoming a regular event.....in my language it's called distribution.....

oh yes, and it's the ides of March too :scared::scared:

Lotto
04-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Being underwritten see under annoucements:
https://www.nzx.com/markets/NZSX/securities/SKT

RRR
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
I am in as well! It usually means share price will crash:D

Balance
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Being underwritten see under annoucements:
https://www.nzx.com/markets/NZSX/securities/SKT

Underwritten at $4.80 means underwriters will get as many as possible to pay $4.80.

For a select few (i.e.. hedge funds), they will get a share of the underwriting action - so entry price for them will probably be $4.56 to $4.75 (1% to 5% underwriting fee).

Watch for them to sell out aggressively post placement - as they did with AIA and ATM. Quick in and out.

biker
05-03-2013, 07:05 AM
I thought it was on a trading halt? Or did you buy yesterday?

I got them in the Placement BB.

ace5715
05-03-2013, 07:17 AM
This may be a silly question but with all the recent sell downs what is the best/ easiest way to be a participant? I currently use direct broking for any share transactions.

CJ
05-03-2013, 07:46 AM
This may be a silly question but with all the recent sell downs what is the best/ easiest way to be a participant? I currently use direct broking for any share transactions.Be a client, preferably a big client, of the brokerage firm doing the placement/underwriting.

Balance
05-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Be a client, preferably a big client, of the brokerage firm doing the placement/underwriting.

Trust me - unless you are an institution, very high net worth individual or incredibly well connected with one of the principals of the brokerage firm, you will get either bugger all or the lousy placements.

Even NZ institutions get left out of the hot placements!

Look at AIA as a prime example. They started offering it to retail investors in the late afternoon after failing to sell down all to the institutions overnight and in the morning. I declined and it proved the correct decision as the hedge funds who bought dumped the stock down to 5 cents below placement price of $2.76. Why? Because they get theirs at the underwritten price of $2.70 or thereabouts. Heads they win, tails you lose.

Hope Sky TV will be different.

macduffy
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Hope Sky TV will be different.

As with any investment you pay your money and take your chances!

It's always a temptation to take a placement at below market price but first consideration should be the stock itself, ie "Would I buy it without the "discount"?

Balance
05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
As with any investment you pay your money and take your chances!

It's always a temptation to take a placement at below market price but first consideration should be the stock itself, ie "Would I buy it without the "discount"?

Fair enough if it's a level playing field.

Not when it comes to placements!

Balance
05-03-2013, 09:05 AM
$4.92 bid, $4.94 offer.

Looks like could be a good one!

robbo24
05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I made a sneaky 5% on this today - quick fire buy/sell action on the back of the big players.

Record date is on Friday for a 12cps dividend - I wonder what will happen to the SP after that...

Marilyn Munroe
05-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Granted the big story with SKT is the Newscorp sell down but Im surprised there has been no mention of the NRL coverage situation, or have I missed it?

I still suspect a deal will be done BUT if not this could be a really big deal. A lot of people pretty pissed with SKY at the moment. The monopoly they have on sports coverage and the $ you have to pay to get it. Personally I got rid of SKY a while back. I watch all my sport on line and don't miss any of the other crap channels I was forced to buy in the past. I have a much bigger range of sports coverage on line than I could ever imagine using sky and the quality of that coverage is only getting better and better. Just a cable from my computer to my TV and I'm good to go!!

What are peoples thoughts on what might transpire IF Sky and the NRL can't come to an arrangement by Thursday?

The new IPV6 internet protocol, which is slowly being taken up, makes multicast video streaming easier to set up. The old IPV4 protocol was designed as a point-to-point protocol. It was possible to do multicast in IPV4 but was an inpractical kludge.

With IPV6 and fiber-optic media over the internet becomes more doable. What is holding it back is agreed data compression and video standards. The new HTML5 internet standard may be a way forward, but the jury is still out whether this will be successful.

The point I am trying to make is disintermediation is possibible, where punter can bypass agregators such as Sky and deal direct with the content originator.

Just imagine you are a fan of blood sports and wish to watch a local soccer derby between Locomotiv Moscow and Spartak. No need to worry if it is broadcast on Sky. Just flick a few Roubles to the content originator for the game and join their video feed.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

robbo24
05-03-2013, 05:02 PM
DIRECTOR: SKT: Notice of Resignation of Director 04:25p.m.
SKT
05/03/2013 16:25
DIRECTOR

REL: 1625 HRS Sky Network Television Limited

DIRECTOR: SKT: Notice of Resignation of Director

NOTICE OF RESIGNATION OF DIRECTOR
For immediate release, 5 March 2013

Michael Miller resigned as a director of SKY Network Television Limited on 4
March 2013.

percy
06-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Do any of the SKT investors have any new info on the NRL TV deal? I really think this could be bad for SKT if they don't work something out and there is not much more than 24 hours to go. I've heard the NRL or ARL (what ever they are called) are playing hardball on this one and have been in talks with Moari TV, amongst others for some kind of split deal which would see Sky NOT getting rights to all the games. I still suspect SKT will conceede here and work out some kind of deal because they have too much to lose.

Same happened with motor racing.Sky will have a bottom line as will NRL.Taking it to the wire.!!! Both have a lot to lose.Big dollars at stake.Either way both will survive.
I watched on free to air in Aussie last time I was there, and switched it off as there were too many ads.NRL will know that.

macduffy
06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
The market doesn't seem worried that Rupert's left the register. SKT up 13c in a generally strong market, no doubt Dow - influenced!

percy
06-03-2013, 11:38 AM
The market doesn't seem worried that Rupert's left the register. SKT up 13c in a generally strong market, no doubt Dow - influenced!

And ex divie.!!! I brought back in. Had some money put away for a rainy day.As forecast is for more sunning days,I decided to put it to better use in SKT.
With so many good divies coming through,I suppose cash reserves will mount again quickly.

Poet
06-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Hi

Can anyone clarify the ex div date for SKT
NZX site says 6 March and the shares dropped 12c at open this morning, but all of the company's own releases say 8th March

So if I bought today would I get the dividend or not?

Poet

BIRMANBOY
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
No its gone..quoted as X DIV as opposed to Cum Div
Hi

Can anyone clarify the ex div date for SKT
NZX site says 6 March and the shares dropped 12c at open this morning, but all of the company's own releases say 8th March

So if I bought today would I get the dividend or not?

Poet

Poet
06-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for info, I need to watch that in future. The company releases to market said record date 8th March

BIRMANBOY
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Theres usually a 2 day lag to allow for administrative stuff and office crapola.
Thanks for info, I need to watch that in future. The company releases to market said record date 8th March

macduffy
06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
"Record date" means as recorded on the share register. With settlement 3 days after a trade (T+3) it would have been necessary to have bought by Tuesday the 5th for the transfer to be "recorded" by Friday 8th March.

Poet
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks

That makes sense.

percy
07-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Do any of the SKT investors have any new info on the NRL TV deal? I really think this could be bad for SKT if they don't work something out and there is not much more than 24 hours to go. I've heard the NRL or ARL (what ever they are called) are playing hardball on this one and have been in talks with Moari TV, amongst others for some kind of split deal which would see Sky NOT getting rights to all the games. I still suspect SKT will conceede here and work out some kind of deal because they have too much to lose.

Today is the day,that yesterday we worried about,and all is well.
Yes SKY have the NRL.
No surprises there.!!!!

percy
07-03-2013, 07:06 AM
I wonder who backed off? I suspect Sky were the ones who had to concede. Numbers I was hearing was the season cost them $12m last year but the NRL was asking $25m for this season. Will we be privy to those numbers?

Funny being on sharetrader.I would have thought NRL would have backed off.!!!!!I don't think we will be privy to those numbers.

GR8DAY
07-03-2013, 09:29 AM
"record date" means as recorded on the share register. With settlement 3 days after a trade (t+3) it would have been necessary to have bought by tuesday the 5th for the transfer to be "recorded" by friday 8th march.

not correct macd..........you will receive the divi even if you purchase on the last "cum div" date........you are actually recorded via the share purchase system and the divi will find its way thru to the new "owner" even tho the sale/purchase has not yet been registered with the appropriate registry. You buy those shares.........you own them.......therefore you are naturally entitled to the divi if it's pre the "x" date. The record date is not the registry record date but the sale/purchase record date.

macduffy
07-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks, GR8. I stand corrected. Never been too concerned about the record date, myself, but take care to note whether buying or selling cum or ex div.

POSSUM THE CAT
07-03-2013, 11:09 AM
GR8DAY check with your broker the NZX has adopted the ASX system of three dates to the best of my Knowledge.

GR8DAY
07-03-2013, 12:40 PM
GR8DAY check with your broker the NZX has adopted the ASX system of three dates to the best of my Knowledge.

OK possum.......I may be wrong cos Like Macduff Ive never been too concerned about those dates but I can only repeat how it has transpired for me a couple of times ie getting a surprise divi I wasnt expecting. Apologies Macd if iv put you wrong.

biker
07-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Today is the day,that yesterday we worried about,and all is well.
Yes SKY have the NRL.
No surprises there.!!!!

Thanks Percy. The market seems to like it!

tosspot
12-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know when the payment date is for the dividend last week.

macduffy
12-03-2013, 08:07 AM

This Friday, 15 March, according to the results announcement.

artemis
12-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Payable date is 15 March

tosspot
16-03-2013, 06:49 AM
OK bit of a worry here. Dividend payment date was yesterday and I still have not received any payment. Do you need to apply to sky or something to receive one.

artemis
16-03-2013, 07:15 AM
OK bit of a worry here. Dividend payment date was yesterday and I still have not received any payment. Do you need to apply to sky or something to receive one.

Mine is in my account this morning. Suggest you first sign in to Computershare and check the bank details are correct.

tosspot
16-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Mine is in my account this morning. Suggest you first sign in to Computershare and check the bank details are correct.
crap, ive never even been on that site. I thought asb securities would process it. Ive entered my details surely its not to late will they just put it in on Monday now.

percy
16-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Mine is also in my bank.

artemis
16-03-2013, 08:57 AM
crap, ive never even been on that site. I thought asb securities would process it. Ive entered my details surely its not to late will they just put it in on Monday now.

I expect they will post you a cheque this time round.

Jim
16-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Mine is also in my bank.

Mine in my bank as well

tosspot
16-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Received a cheque in the post, all is good, ill feel like an old man walking into the bank with a cheque.

artemis
16-03-2013, 03:49 PM
That's good, and should go straight to your bank from now on. Computershare site, also Link Market Services site for shares via them, are a useful way to keep track of payments, imputation, tax, DRIPs, bank and address details etc.

winner69
18-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Losing EPL rights will piss many off ..... and many cancellations methinks

Serious competition on the way by the looks of it

percy
18-06-2013, 06:53 PM
What,who,whom,which is EPL ?

percy
18-06-2013, 07:00 PM
English Premier League - the football which is actually played with feet.

Thanks Sparky.

stoploss
18-06-2013, 07:00 PM
English Premier League - the football which is actually played with feet.

It is a Private Equity group that has purchased the rights. Hope they haven't paid too much .....gear it up and it will end up another debacle ..........

percy
18-06-2013, 07:03 PM
It is a Private Equity group that has purchased the rights. Hope they haven't paid too much .....gear it up and it will end up another debacle ..........

Now that depends on whether you are a Sky shareholder or not !!!!! lol.

ratkin
18-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Im really peved off about this ,going to have to pay extra to watch football now, thats if it available at all

percy
18-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Im really peved off about this ,going to have to pay extra to watch football now, thats if it available at all

Some good games you can watch for free, down at Centennial Park on a Saturday morning.!!!

RTM
18-06-2013, 07:28 PM
I really hate sky. Inching up the premiums with the excuse of adding additional channels which I don't really want at all. Roll on our new ultra fast internet access !

I've subscribed to Satellite Direct and with a bit of effort can watch most things I want to. Kinda of interesting having Shaun Fitzpatrick and Michael Lynagh doing the half time comments on the suoer 15 rugby matches. It aint perfect....but it gives me most things I want without absolutely needing Sky.

Its also made me more sociable....if I really want to watch something on Sky, we go out and see friends or a bar.

Cheers
RTM

http://www.digitalsatellite.tv/mac/win_user/download.html

CJ
18-06-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.digitalsatellite.tv/mac/win_user/download.htmlWARNING - dont click on the link unless you want to download the program!

percy
18-06-2013, 07:48 PM
We have Sky.Wife watches old films, cooking ,and doing up houses.
I only watch Rugby and Formula 1 motor racing.
Ads drove me away from the TV.

RTM
18-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Oooopps. Sorry all !
Try this one if you are at all interested in having a look at what it can do.

http://satellitedirect.org/

karen1
18-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Too many ads, too much time lost. Anything worth watching is worth recording, just zap through the ads. We have one of these, it's brilliant: http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tv-lcd-led-plasma/media-players/magic-tv/1tb-freeview-digital-television-recorder-sku-24438/

Have no idea how it compares to a Freeview recorder, but anything that records a program has to be better than sitting for mini programs (ads) every five minutes.

percy
18-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks Karen1.I still have a VCR recorder.Tape the motor racing for a friend.Nothing I really want record to watch later,even without the ads..

Arbroath
18-06-2013, 08:17 PM
This is a massive threat to Sky. Craig Heatley was a founding director/investor in Sky 20 odd years ago and he can smell the potential of mobile / tablets to get sport to a new generation via different channels than Sky.

CJ
18-06-2013, 08:25 PM
This is a massive threat to Sky. Craig Heatley was a founding director/investor in Sky 20 odd years ago and he can smell the potential of mobile / tablets to get sport to a new generation via different channels than Sky.Im surprised sports don't go down the track of MLB (baseball) which I'm sure has its own website/app to sell tv rights direct to the consumer. Maybe Heatley is trying to be the technology behind that shift?

Jay
18-06-2013, 08:36 PM
We have Sky.Wife watches old films, cooking ,and doing up houses.
I only watch Rugby and Formula 1 motor racing.

For me same adding the WRC as well and other motorsport, occassionally the league and record the odd film - no not odd films, just a few films!

troyvdh
18-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Does anyone remember ...years ago ...an American bloke who lived in CHCH who lost a bundle on TV3......

obviously not....this bloke spent millions oh well

percy
19-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Does anyone remember ...years ago ...an American bloke who lived in CHCH who lost a bundle on TV3......

obviously not....this bloke spent millions oh well

I remember him.
Was deported broke I think.
Brought TV3 shares with the view he would be a major shareholder,and when they came right he would be very wealthy, and he would not be deported.
Made his money gambling I think.[lost it that way too.
He was one of the first, in a very long list of people who have done their dough on TV3.

Vaygor1
19-06-2013, 07:47 AM
A few week's ago, Sky's equivalent in Thailand, called TrueVision, lost the rights to the EPL for the 1st time in history too. It has been big news over there.

I can't help but wonder that there is something going on here on a wider scale.

Internet speeds and country-to-country fibre optic connectivity, technology, and live streaming in HD have continuously developed over time to surpass the quality and reliability of satellite based communications. Coupled with this has been the ongoing trend of urbanisation with more & more of the population moving into city centres with access to high speed internet communications.

Do we really need to rely on ugly roof-mounted dishes, satellites costing 10 squillion dollars per kilo to put into space, and countless re-runs of Happy Days and the Sound Of Music to watch an EPL match?... or any sporting match for that matter?

I am beginning to wonder if satellite based communications companies like Sky have had their day.

CJ
19-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Cockram is one of the drivers behind the redevelopment of Britomart in Auckland.And Cooper Capital Partners is a 50% shareholder which I assume is tied up with Cooper & Co - the developers of Britomart.

From what I am hearing Sky TV are not all that unhappy about missing out on the EPL. Apparently they weren't even the second highest bidder for the EPL.They said it was the highest bid they have ever put in. Maybe that just proves they haven't had much competition in NZ before.

CJ
19-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm with Vaygor, I think their current model is not sustainable long term. The problem with the alternative to Sky is potential fragmenation. That is you have to pay $10 each to each different channel you want and in the end, the combined prices is more than what you would have paid Sky who bundled it all together and gave you a nice box which made watching it easier.

Eg. you pay $15 for HBO channel which is via an ipad app which you have to beam to your TV, Rugby is $10 via rugbytv.com with you get on you laptop so have to beam to your tv via a different method. You still have a freeview box so you can time shift the news and then Movies is via another service!.....

CJ
19-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm not too sure of the answers for Sky, I am not that familiar with their business. What I can say its from a sports fan's perspective I think they are digging themselves a bit of a hole. They will lose a lot of customers as a result of the EPL deal, and I think unless they do something different, more and more sports fans will switch over to alternative options particulalry as internet speeds increase in NZ and online streaming quality iimproves.I definitely agree.

The answer to the fragmentation issue is technology - ensuring you have a TV that has everything, ie Internet, built in. ON the assumption that it will all be avaliable on demand (internet bandwidth permitting - bring on fibre) then there is no need for DVR capabilities like MySky.

Personally I am looking forward to it. The only channel I want of Sky's is Soho (ie. HBO) and the option for pay for view movies (ie have Tivo which has this but the selection is terrible. I normally use my US iTunes account now). In a few years, paying for the cartoon network might also be on the cards as it is likely to be cheaper than a baby sitter ;)

hilskin
19-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Sky off to a bad start this morning. Shareholders not happy and wanting out.
Hopefully they are heading over to chorus.

blackcap
19-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Its interesting that in NZ, Sky can still challenge web based content because we pay for our data. I have lived in The Netherlands for a while where for 20 Euro's per month you get unlimited internet data (500GB if you want it is not a problem) and the speeds are much higher. This has been in operations before 2006 and I know a lot of ppl there (as I did) watched TV on our laptops and did not even have a tv in house. Ditto sports events etc. Once NZ gets up to speed and it will but it will be a while things will change here as well. TV on demand is another such innovation that is only being held back by our ridiculous pricing system with data.

lambton
19-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Yep Sky is death dated.

RTM
19-06-2013, 09:16 AM
"young internet savvy population".....hopefully there will be plenty of older internet savvy folk as well.

The fragmentation needs to be addressed by technology....with luck by someone such as Apple who will provide an elegant solution. Whoever succeeds with an easy to use solution in this area will have an excellent product that would be widely accepted. They are getting there, but slowly. And internet speeds need to improve to make it a major success in NZ.

See link.
http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/04/apple-tv-vs-roku-3-comparison.html

As per CJ, bring it on. Its well past time that SKY had some real competition.

CJ
19-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Word is, Telecom is involved - heard it on radio sport so not sure how legit the info is...
The suggestion being that telecom is looking to follow the BT model where customers of BT get the EPL free (or something along those lines)I wonder if they are involved in the purchase, or just in the distribution (ie. an unmetered perk to get people to use choose them instead of others).
I hope that this isn't exclusive to Telecom customers. Ideally we want these sorts of things to be device/service provider agnostic.

blackcap
19-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Word is, Telecom is involved - heard it on radio sport so not sure how legit the info is...
The suggestion being that telecom is looking to follow the BT model where customers of BT get the EPL free (or something along those lines)

Yeah I listen to radio sport as well. Interesting that they are so quickly on the ball. Good on them. Could be interesting times for pay per view subscribers coming in NZ in the next few years. I have had SKY in the past but really hated having to pay $60+ per month just to watch rugby and cricket and some tennis. What I did not like about SKY was their inflexibility in their pricing. You also had to have the basic package... something I just never used.

CJ
19-06-2013, 10:52 AM
And just to throw another name into the mix, TIVO has been mentioned, therefore TVNZ.I thought Tivo was all but dead in NZ (ie. no longer sold). TVNZ has dropped it and partnered up with SkyTV with igloo. Telecom was the original reseller of Tivo

I am a happy Tivo user (as far as DVR's go) but the online content is limited. Plus they disabled the 'skip ads' button that made Tivo famous! I think I am still paying mine off at $10pm with Telecom.

blackcap
19-06-2013, 10:53 AM
When it comes to anything sport related in NZ radio sport is the place to go for info. Their journo's are very well connected.

They are indeed, and if you want the latest on sports events, items, who is in, who is out, they are right on the ball. Some good sports related discussions on that program as well. Great program and for me so interesting that they seem to know the most about a SKY/business deal.

ratkin
19-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Announcement due at 2pm from Coliseum EPL Management Limited

And just to throw another name into the mix, TIVO has been mentioned, therefore TVNZ.

The prople who got the rights are just middlemen who want to resell to others. They might
sell some to tivo or igloo even let free for air have some , they could even give some back to sky.
Will be messy if that happens. Hoping for a dedicated channel to watch it all

Hoop
19-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Sorry mate, hope that didnt sound patronising. I should explain my self more. I am 33 years old, when I'm at work, working alongside people aged around 25, I consider my self ancient when it comes to tech. These younger folk, only 8 or so years younger than me have grown up on computers, the internet, and everything else that comes along with it (heck most 2 year olds, it seems, have spent more time on an ipdad than me!!). I think they look at the world quite differently in this respect and I believe many wouldnt think twice about getting sky, they would just sit down and watch it on their ipads. For them it's a piece of cake to trick the servers into thinking their IP is based in the US so they can view content which should be geographically restricted, block out all the adds, search and find all the best streams.... Me...8 years down the track, struggle to even talk about these concepts with any confidence on an internet forum ;).

Im sure there are many older folk (33+) who know exactly what they are doing, BUT this internet generation is a different breed IMHO and if Sky can't figure out how to capture their dollar Im not sure they are a great long term hold.

EDIT: By the way, good to see SKy has cleared things up by providing a bit of detail on the EPL issue for shareholders and customers alike:
Continuous Disclosure Announcement
For immediate release, 19 June 2013
SKY confirms it has not been successful in its bid for the EPL rights for the coming season.
end

Maybe they will enlighten us all a bit more later, who knows....

All rather interesting actually......the term..buy and hold is not a successful strategy with media stocks that are slow to adapt and are subject to being affected by the accelerating rate of change within the technology area..The big question ..Is the monopolistic structured style SKY agile enough to keep pace with change and the increasing numbers of niche competitors

I listened to that SKY bloke on Radio Sport this morning...he mentioned the fact that the EPL was at the bottom of the top 10 watched list and admitted it was a blow losing the rights to air but it was no where near anything serious for SKY...
The interesting thing that came out of the interview was the fact that purchased rights have to aired on a TV channel in England by law, as a result of new bidders such as Telco's entering the scene..however in NZ which is a small country the rights are brought via the English League through a broker then to the highest bidder...as long as the EPL get their money they are happy..what the highest bidder does with the rights is up to them as it has been bought through a third party...It seems whoever got it (Coliseum?) has NZ backers....one rumour mentioned on radio sport this morning was it was bought with the Asian market in mind and it could be on a pay to view TV channel using Sky's Platform or maybe with wishful thinking aired on the Freeview platform via a financial backer..Unfortunately this was mentioned after the Interview with the SKY Guy so I didn't hear about his thoughts on this.

In any case......a wake up call for SKY ..eh?

percy
19-06-2013, 12:01 PM
At one time SKY lost the rights to Formula 1.I wanted to cancel our SKY subscription, but my wife would not let me ,as she liked the old films.
Will be interesting to see how many EPL supporters wear the pants in their household.ie what numbers will SKY lose?

percy
19-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah I heard that comment a few minutes ago. I am a bit skeptical of how reflective that comment really is. EPL is played in the small hours of the morning in NZ so naturally they wont get as many live views as sports played during prime time NZ hours. I work a lot with data and my skepticism relates to how they quantify these ratings rankings? You can twist things quite a lot (if you want to) depending on how you interpret the data.

As a sports fan (and one that doesnt really watch EPL at all) I would be incredibly surprised if EPL is as low as 10 out of competitions/sports that people buy their Sky package for.

1 Rugby
2 Rugby League
3 Cricket
then what?? I'd say football and EPL for all intense purposes is football. I doubt many people buy Sky for Netball, AFL, or any of the US sports.

I think you should add Golf and Tennis to that list.

blackcap
19-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Just heard on Radio Sport that there are rumours that TVNZ could get the rights to screen the EPL. That would be interesting wouldnt it.

ratkin
19-06-2013, 12:12 PM
http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/?gclid=CLeG7Zf37rcCFUVKpgodzWEA5w

I watch more british tv than nz. You just need to get virtual network which gives you a UK ip address. it works perfectly .been with them a few years.
then you can use bbc i player itv player and channel 4 player to watch any uk prog you want, most about a year before they appear on sky

percy
19-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Just heard on Radio Sport that there are rumours that TVNZ could get the rights to screen the EPL. That would be interesting wouldnt it.

Yes that will/would be very interesting.
The fun will be seeing how they make it pay.5mins ads to 3mins soccer?
I tried watching Formula 1 on Aussie free TV [channel 9 I think] and gave up because of the ads.
Good luck lads.!!

ratkin
19-06-2013, 12:18 PM

hope not ,they would ruin iit, they would purchase a highlight package at best

Hoop
19-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah I heard that comment a few minutes ago. I am a bit skeptical of how reflective that comment really is. EPL is played in the small hours of the morning in NZ so naturally they wont get as many live views as sports played during prime time NZ hours. I work a lot with data and my skepticism relates to how they quantify these ratings rankings? You can twist things quite a lot (if you want to) depending on how you interpret the data.

As a sports fan (and one that doesnt really watch EPL at all) I would be incredibly surprised if EPL is as low as 10 out of competitions/sports that people buy their Sky package for.

1 Rugby
2 Rugby League
3 Cricket
then what?? I'd say football and EPL for all intense purposes is football. I doubt many people buy Sky for Netball, AFL, or any of the US sports.

Yeah..That interview came across with Sky not seeming to know how many of their viewers record these games

At one time SKY lost the rights to Formula 1.I wanted to cancel our SKY subscription, but my wife would not let me ,as she liked the old films.
Will be interesting to see how many EPL supporters wear the pants in their household.ie what numbers will SKY lose?

I wanted to stop sky for a while $1200pa is far too expensive when most of it can be watched online and be up to date with the episodes/see the great TV series that NZ never gets to see useless you pay extra over the top of SKY (Soho) such as Game of Thrones....
...but Mrs Hoop had 95% used Mysky with un watched soaps/reality s#@t...so SKY survives in our household :p

percy
19-06-2013, 01:25 PM
[.
...but Mrs Hoop had 95% used Mysky with un watched soaps/reality s#@t...so SKY survives in our household :p[/QUOTE]

No surprises there.!!!!! lol.

blackcap
19-06-2013, 01:36 PM
EPL coverage 3 options... 1. $240 per annuum you get everything, highlights, the whole package. 2, FOr $150 per annum you can watch all 300+ EPL games live. Or 3, you pay $25 for 24 hours access to the sight and watch a game or 3.

The $150 package sounds ok... but will SKY drop their prices by $10 per week? Dont think so, so for the consumer who loves EPL it is going to be a do I pay more or do I ditch SKY.

Source, radio sport

p.s TV 1 will show an EPL game a week and an hours highlights package

ratkin
19-06-2013, 01:48 PM
http://premierleaguepass.com/

Problem

1) many not have net
2) will eat into data plan
3) Internet too slow in this country. Asians will be ok we will lag badly

Will get up to watch a live game and be sat staring at a frozen screen. Isubscrbe to mlb.com (baseball) so know what the lag can be like, and with millions watching man u at same time i fear the worst.

They have included NZ but their target market is asia , once again our slow internet with tiny data caps will ruin it

blackcap
19-06-2013, 01:57 PM
http://premierleaguepass.com/

Problem

1) many not have net
2) will eat into data plan
3) Internet too slow in this country. Asians will be ok we will lag badly

Will get up to watch a live game and be sat staring at a frozen screen. Isubscrbe to mlb.com (baseball) so know what the lag can be like, and with millions watching man u at same time i fear the worst.

They have included NZ but their target market is asia , once again our slow internet with tiny data caps will ruin it

Agree, agree, agree... NZ broadband not up to standard to deliver this. There are going to be a lot of disappointed punters out there. Are SKY going to bear the brunt. Is this only just the beginning. I dont think EPL viewers will dent SKY subs. But what happens when SKY loses the Super 15? Or The All Blacks?

Jay
19-06-2013, 01:59 PM
[.
...but Mrs Hoop had 95% used Mysky with un watched soaps/reality s#@t...so SKY survives in our household :p

No surprises there.!!!!! lol.[/QUOTE]

Same in my household as well - plus a few childrens movies.

Have watched F1 in Aus as well not live and as you say ads all the time

So all looks good for Chorus then

ratkin
19-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Agree, agree, agree... NZ broadband not up to standard to deliver this. There are going to be a lot of disappointed punters out there. Are SKY going to bear the brunt. Is this only just the beginning. I dont think EPL viewers will dent SKY subs. But what happens when SKY loses the Super 15? Or The All Blacks?

Big winners will be those selling ultrafast internet, except it not even available yet , and when it is it will be the most expensive in the world with tthe smallest data cap,so will be out of reach to most

Snow Leopard
19-06-2013, 02:19 PM
All this fuss over twenty-two men kicking a bag of wind, who after 90 minutes of effort may well have not have scored a single 'goal'.

Now, Aussie Rules Football, there is a game that I miss.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

macduffy
19-06-2013, 03:06 PM
So that's what we all want ultra-fast broadband for! And we've been kidding ourselves that it will lead to more efficiency and productivity!

;)

But seriously, I'll miss EPL, one of the reasons I subscribed to SKY originally. And MySky has been a boon in helping to avoid those irritating ads. As for investing in SKT, I'll be surprised if it doesn't have a significant adverse effect on their profitability.

CJ
19-06-2013, 03:22 PM
But seriously, I'll miss EPL, one of the reasons I subscribed to SKY originally. And MySky has been a boon in helping to avoid those irritating ads. As for investing in SKT, I'll be surprised if it doesn't have a significant adverse effect on their profitability.EPL on its own is not a significant loss.

What it is is a sign of things to come so any content SKY do secure, has just become more expensive.

percy
19-06-2013, 03:41 PM
EPL on its own is not a significant loss.

What it is is a sign of things to come so any content SKY do secure, has just become more expensive.

Or cheaper if the new guys can't make EPL pay.
$25, $150,or $240 is going to be a test.
If they have outbid SKY, who have the delivery channels in place, they are going to have their work cut out making it pay.
Will not do the game any good here in NZ.

ratkin
19-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Or cheaper if the new guys can't make EPL pay.
$25, $150,or $240 is going to be a test.
If they have outbid SKY, who have the delivery channels in place, they are going to have their work cut out making it pay.
Will not do the game any good here in NZ.

Your missing the pointt, the new guys dont care about NZ ,small population, few hundred thousand subscribers at best. They after the asian market, indonesia etc where they football crazy.
All us kiwis will sign up only to discover that our third world infrastructure means we hsave to watch blocky,jerky pictures rather than the high quality hd that the asians with there faster internet will enjoy.
The site owners wont care as we will already paid our 150 bucks. While we will end up not bothering to watch as it will be more ttrouble than its worth

percy
19-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Your missing the pointt, the new guys dont care about NZ ,small population, few hundred thousand subscribers at best. They after the asian market, indonesia etc where they football crazy.
All us kiwis will sign up only to discover that our third world infrastructure means we hsave to watch blocky,jerky pictures rather than the high quality hd that the asians with there faster internet will enjoy.
The site owners wont care as we will already paid our 150 bucks. While we will end up not bothering to watch as it will be more ttrouble than its worth

Yes you are right that I missed the point.
Not good for you keen EPL fans.
So there was no point in SKY bidding?

ratkin
19-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes you are right that I missed the point.
Not good for you keen EPL fans.
So there was no point in SKY bidding?

And the worst thing of all is that most kiwis wont even care, or even find it funny. Until it happens to something they love. Except of course it wouldnt happen to rugby, the govt would never allow it.

percy
19-06-2013, 04:43 PM
And the worst thing of all is that most kiwis wont even care, or even find it funny. Until it happens to something they love. Except of course it wouldnt happen to rugby, the govt would never allow it.

Again I am sorry that I have to agree with you.

Snow Leopard
19-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Ah, but we are talking about the people who have bought the broadcast rights for NZ, and they paid money for it, and they will want to recover that and make a profit.

And as somebody who has lived in various parts of Asia over the last few years (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and currently Indonesia) then I can tell you that it is a wonderfully diverse region and that in a lot of it the Internet is slow, unreliable and by local wages, expensive.

Of course with it being a three year deal then if you get bad service you won't renew your subscription and they will go phut!

The Asians do like soccer though.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

ratkin
19-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Ah, but we are talking about the people who have bought the broadcast rights for NZ, and they paid money for it, and they will want to recover that and make a profit.

And as somebody who has lived in various parts of Asia over the last few years (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and currently Indonesia) then I can tell you that it is a wonderfully diverse region and that in a lot of it the Internet is slow, unreliable and by local wages, expensive.

Of course with it being a three year deal then if you get bad service you won't renew your subscription and they will go phut!

The Asians do like soccer though.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Really????????? You will see how factually inaccurate it is once the season begins

POSSUM THE CAT
19-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Sparky The Clown Have fibre in the street but connection is over two years away. So it would not be any help if I wanted to view the football.

CJ
19-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Your missing the pointt, the new guys dont care about NZ ,small population, few hundred thousand subscribers at best. They after the asian market, indonesia etc where they football crazy.did they get the rights to Asian as well?

What's the evidence you have to make that claim CJ? Not that I disagree with you, just don't see the evidence to agree with you either.none. Just the rumour I am hearing

Zaphod
19-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Remember that we now have fibre for potential subscribers. If people are prepared to move from basic sky UHF set top boxes to Sky Digital, to mySkyHD with build in HDD recorders, then people will happily upgrade from ASDL2 to fibre. Especially if they downgrade their Sky plan to help fund a higher broadband plan.

Some thoughts:

1. Imagine what happens when this new outfit can stream movies and other sports to end users. Sky will be murdered.

2. It was around a year ago that the ComCom was investigating SkyTV (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/8677450/SkyTV-monopoly-probe-near-end)for having anti-competitive relationships with broadband providers. SkyTV saw the threat coming down the line, and tried to pre-empt it, but obviously stymied. Whether this is a good thing or not, I'm not sure. Personally I thought the ComCom was over the top and suffers from creep into new areas, but others may have different views.

The old rule I heard was "never buy into a business that can be disrupted by the internet". I think we just saw the power of that statement today.

You've got it in one.

Remember: The quick eat the slow. In this game it is often the incumbent who is unseated by new technologies or the emergence of markets that they never saw coming. Some of these emerging competitors are already securing deals to commission new original content with popular studios, e.g. The Netflix & Dreamworks deal.

Even the Government can see this coming - that's the reason why the official UFB build guides encourage at least two RG6 coax and plenty of CAT6 network cable outlets situated next to the optical network termination point in the home.

It's not necessarily doom and gloom for Sky though. There are immense profitable opportunities ahead for them, but they need to immediately capitalise on the new delivery technologies and ensure that previously loyal subscribers don't stray.

Onthemoney
19-06-2013, 07:49 PM
The winning bidder has picked the ideal sport to pick on. EPL fans and football fans generally are very passionate about their sport and will pay the necessary dollars to make this worthwhile. There is no comparison between a rugby crowd and a football crowd....

Xerof
19-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Pardon my imposition, but since when has all Asia been part of New Zealand?

I read they have bought the NZ rights, right?

I'd imagine the price for NZ rights might be in the millions, maybe very low tens of millions, but certainly not hundreds of millions that the discussion seems to seek to justify by going semi-global

I have nothing else to add to the discussion, being over 55 years old........

RRR
19-06-2013, 08:01 PM
My biased opinion and not based on facts:

Losing EPL right to broadcast is bad for sky - yes, of course but football is one of several popular sports and certainly not the most popular in NZ. In NZ it is rugby, rugby and rugby. EPL is at an odd time for NZ and I don't know how many people actually watch it live!

I do not watch EPL but I am interested in Olympics and cricket and top up on a regular basis to watch certain large events - ASHES cricket for eg. I do not subscribe for sports channel and do it only as and when required which suits me well.

I am just one of the four people in my household and none of the others in my family are even concerned or bothered about sky losing EPL rights! They have other programmes to watch other than sports! I will be on the firing line if I cancel my basic sky subscription for sure. So cancelling sky subscription is not an option for me even if I was an avid EPL fan! I would still have to pay extra to view it from other sources if I was an EPL fan.

Internet invading television business - the story of the demise of TV and SKY is greatly exaggerated I think!

cammo
19-06-2013, 10:19 PM
upgraded to vdsl this week using 2talk who i went voip with last year . They have vdsl available starting at $85.

CJ
20-06-2013, 07:01 AM
I am just one of the four people in my household and none of the others in my family are even concerned or bothered about sky losing EPL rights! They have other programmes to watch other than sports! I will be on the firing line if I cancel my basic sky subscription for sure. So cancelling sky subscription is not an option for me even if I was an avid EPL fan! I would still have to pay extra to view it from other sources if I was an EPL fan.Once you can easily stream movies to your TV on a pay per view and can get HBO (Soho) on line too (or whatever your family members watch), will you cancel you Sky sub then.

This wont impact them this year but look out 10 years, their current business model (Dish on 80% of NZ houses and Sky boxs (ie paying customers) in 50% of houses) will be dead. Doesn't mean they wont reinvent and we will all be watching sky channels on an app installed on your TV plugged into the internet - but that has costs and risks.

percy
20-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Wife tells me about the most watched program on SKY is Dad's Army.

CJ
20-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Wife tells me about the most watched program on SKY is Dad's Army.Buy her the DVD of trade me - will save you a fortune.

CJ
20-06-2013, 07:10 AM
http://gizmodo.com/apple-tv-just-got-hbo-go-and-watchespn-514275051

HBO and ESPN now avaliable on Apple TV- the future is here*!

* here if you live in the US, and have huge/no datacaps

False Profit
20-06-2013, 09:26 AM
The media is really talking up the chance that Sky will lose more sports over time. I see the share price is still feeling the body blows in trading today but, in a country like NZ, unless they lose the rugby, what we're seeing in trading this morning could be just overselling. Wait a bit more then get in there!

percy
20-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Buy her the DVD of trade me - will save you a fortune.

We can watch it together.
No she heard that on the radio this morning that Dad's Army was about the most watched program on SKY.

percy
20-06-2013, 09:51 AM
The media is really talking up the chance that Sky will lose more sports over time. I see the share price is still feeling the body blows in trading today but, in a country like NZ, unless they lose the rugby, what we're seeing in trading this morning could be just overselling. Wait a bit more then get in there!

Yes, but as we are already pointed out, try telling the wife you are going to stop your SKY subscription.!!!???
After all said and done,there's more said, than done">!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hoop
20-06-2013, 09:54 AM
The Refrigeration revolution changed the nature of business throughout the world as did Electricity...now its the Internet changing the nature of business.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-the-pay-tv-model-faces-a-millennial-threat-2013-05-23?link=mw_home_kiosk

Banksie
27-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Well put...and it is not just sports. I was introduced to this site the other day http://documentaryheaven.com/.

Banksie
27-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Exactly! I don't know anyone under the age of 27 who pays for video content; Movies, TV shows, music, documentaries, sport.... it's all there for free!

:( us oldies are only just 'getting with the program' ;)

The BOWMAN
27-06-2013, 10:12 AM
It is not just about the cost. Two key attributes in this are the convenience and quality. Both improved hugely with contents on Internet. SKY is just like Kodak. Its business model is dated and unless they start with something new, they will be history. But either way, their business outlook is not great.

percy
27-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Thank you posters for your interesting well thought out posts.
As the "moat" has had the water drained, and it has been filled in,I decided to sell my shares.

blackcap
28-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah this is huge news for Steven Adams and for NZ sports fans. I mean to get picked number 12 in the draft. There are literally tens of thousands of American kids going for the NBA and here a little old NZ'er from Rotorua gets to play with the best. OKC is a great team too and as turmeric said, there will be plenty of kiwis willing to watch the Oklahoma games. I beleive you can buy a sub at nba.com! Again via the net. It really is the future of broadcasting. When I was overseas from 2006- recently I watched AB's games online and a lot of Super 15 that way too. As all the tennis I watch is streamed.
But then you come to NZ and are opposed by this foreign thing called "data cap". NZ must be the only developed country to even have something this archaic and bizarre?
But Sky need to change with the times. Didnt they a few years back offer SKy via the pc/net if you were a subscriber only to "can" it later as they realised that ppl could not pay the data usage?

Heffner
28-06-2013, 02:59 PM
So with Steven Adams drafted 12 today and a truckload of Kiwi's converted into OKC supporters, what are Sky TV's rights to the NBA? Will we be able to watch all of OKC's games live on TV or are Sky restricted to the few games a week they usually air?

EDIT: Massive sporting achievement by the way - forget about the money which all the mainstream NZ media seem to be obsessed with. Adams has the potential to be the most well-known Kiwi athlete globally IF he works his butt off and makes it over there.

You would be risking a bit if you were you to pick up all the rights to OKC games. I have been an OKC fan since they were ther Sonics under George Karl with Gary the "Glove" and "The man with 13 kids" Shawn Kemp. From what I have been reading on a few sites, the draft pick they inherited via the Harden trade with Houston was always going to be looked at as trade material. Imagine if Someone bought the rights and he was traded - yikes! :)

Stoked for Adams though - huge achievement! Hope he can stay injury free, an athletic big man is worth their wait in gold.

macduffy
28-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Good discussion lately for us less tech-literate types. From my semi-informed position I can see that life is going to be much harder for SKT in future so have lightened up my position there. It's been a very good stock to me over the years, going back to parent INL days.

:mellow:

Heffner
28-06-2013, 03:23 PM
No doubt Tumeric, you are right that this should spike interest levels in the NBA. Especially if he gets regular game time which unfortunately Marks didn't get - great in the blow outs. I sold out of SKY a couple of months back, and glad I did. I was always suspicious of the "Fibre" age. Went to a few conferences on Fibre a couple of years back and they spoke about the increase of 'on demand' TV in the States for the busy world we live in - people don't want to be restricted to schedules anymore. Always had that in the back of my mind.

In regards to the NBA and SKY, I am not sure of the contract they have. Like the Champions League it is all through ESPN. I would say that they have no control over the games they get and it would be relatively cheap. I lived in Japan for five years, there you would buy channels dedicated to sports. I had the NBA pass and loved the fact you could get a game a day at the very least. Especially as OKC were just a minor team then and didn't appear on the big networks. I am guessing you are right that this development (Adams) could see increased competition for the rights. A dedicated team pass would be risky though.

Zaphod
28-06-2013, 03:37 PM
But then you come to NZ and are opposed by this foreign thing called "data cap". NZ must be the only developed country to even have something this archaic and bizarre?

While we like to think we are alone in implementing data caps - and remember, it's the media that keeping pumping this issue -we are not infact alone. Many providers in the Canada, the USA and the UK apply data caps, or at the very least place a "fair use" policy on their broadband connections. Fair use ends up being an arbitrary non-disclosed data cap.

There are also arguments brewing around 'net neutrality', which boils down to carriers wanting permission to prioritise traffic are charges fees for doing so.

blackcap
29-06-2013, 09:34 AM
This author thinks the writing is on the wall....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/8856464/Sky-beware-sunset-may-be-coming

noodles
30-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I disconnected my Sky Sports last week. It was purely a reaction to losing the EPL.

To my surprise, they did not ask why I was disconnecting or even encourage me to stay. Is this monopoly being a bit complacent? I would have thought they would want to monitor reasons for leaving.

mcdongle
01-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I gave up on them when they dumped moto gp, Now watching on the internet .

Snow Leopard
04-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Stuff Headline: Another sport gone from Sky (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/8877834/Another-sport-gone-from-Sky)

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Arbroath
05-07-2013, 04:18 PM
They going to have big competition for movies too. Netflix are soon to be available to NZ without having to go through a virtual proxy. Many of us use them already , but once they begin advertising etc many will give up on sky altogether , programmes become available much quicker than they appear on sky and for less cost

Funny how Murdoch sold out of Sky late last year and now the landscape definitely looks to be changing - shrewd that guy is....

macduffy
05-07-2013, 04:30 PM
I guess we should all take note of what Murdoch does. If anyone should know the media scene, he should!

RTM
26-07-2013, 03:31 PM
They must be feeling some pain. The deal offered to me this week,
Basic + sport + movies $46.92 per month
12 month contract
Can stop after 6 months.
This is a big change in price, as well as that can stop after 6 month.
Yes...I went for it.

Cheers
RTM

I really hate sky. Inching up the premiums with the excuse of adding additional channels which I don't really want at all. Roll on our new ultra fast internet access !

I've subscribed to Satellite Direct and with a bit of effort can watch most things I want to. Kinda of interesting having Shaun Fitzpatrick and Michael Lynagh doing the half time comments on the suoer 15 rugby matches. It aint perfect....but it gives me most things I want without absolutely needing Sky.

Its also made me more sociable....if I really want to watch something on Sky, we go out and see friends or a bar.

Cheers
RTM

http://www.digitalsatellite.tv/mac/win_user/download.html

blackcap
20-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Highly recommend anyone interested to take a look so you can see the direction sports viewing is moving to in NZ.

www.nfl.com is the home page
OR
https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/schedule?icampaign=Prod_GP_Nav&cvsorc=Homepage.GP.GP_Nav (there's a pre-season game on live today from 12:00 or you can go on there anytime to check out a game on demand!

Big thank you turmeric.... I would not have known otherwise. Quite like my NFL. Just wondering why they are offering it free to kiwi's?
Sky is going to die a slow death if they do not quickly change the way they operate.

macduffy
20-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Big thank you turmeric.... I would not have known otherwise. Quite like my NFL. Just wondering why they are offering it free to kiwi's?
Sky is going to die a slow death if they do not quickly change the way they operate.

So what is the answer for SKT?

Or is it really just that their business model has been overtaken by advances in net technology - and that they might as well recognise that and prepare for an eventual demise?

Disc: Not interested in NFL but regret the loss of EPL on Sky.

RTM
20-08-2013, 08:41 AM
I think that the net technology is fast overtaking their business model. Take a look at the TVNZ Americas Cup coverage on line. Its great, no breaks for advertising at critical points. Their content will be steadily eroded over the next decade or so. We are all going to have to be much more nimble at finding what we want on the net. Not really sure how long Igloo will last. Can't see it getting great penetration.

Cheers, RTM.

macduffy
20-08-2013, 08:48 AM
I think that the net technology is fast overtaking their business model. Take a look at the TVNZ Americas Cup coverage on line. Its great, no breaks for advertising at critical points. Their content will be steadily eroded over the next decade or so. We are all going to have to be much more nimble at finding what we want on the net. Not really sure how long Igloo will last. Can't see it getting great penetration.

Cheers, RTM.

OK. So it's not really in their hands to "change the way they operate"? Inevitably going the way of buggy whip makers, or is there some answer to the problem?

RTM
20-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I had quite a discussion with them previously with respect to providing people what they want. Rather than the packages that they try to force on us. They were immovable over quite a period of time. I guess with the monopoly they had they could afford to be. Yes....a more flexible charging package might help a lot. So that folk can buy just what they want to view. At a reasonable cost. Suspect its going to need a big change in corporate culture and attitude tho. Otherwise, yes, they will really struggle long term.

Zaphod
20-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Yeah I suspect SkyTv will die a slow death, unless they can adjust their business model somehow to adapt to what will be a new TV environment in NZ pretty soon. In addition to alternative sports viewing I was in the US last month and was blown away by how many people had Netflix and using it to watch Movies and TV via their home TV.
The only thing that is saving Sky right now is the sate of our internet speeds in NZ.

Netflix is overall a great service especially for the US$7.99 per month, however I've been underwhelmed by the selection of content. A quick search for the latest titles reveals a poor selection, a number of newer TV series have only the older seasons available and Netflix recently removed literally thousands of titles from availability as negotiations with rights-holders faltered.

Neither the broadband speed (we received 14Mbps/1Mbps on the old ADSL2 service) nor the cap (80GB was fine for watching a movies/TV series episode each night) has been an issue for us. Netflix streaming requires only around 5Mbps-7Mbps downstream for compressed HD content, so that is well within what ADSL2/VDSL can provide let along what the new UFB service is capable of providing.

So what can Sky do to compete? Firstly I think enabling on-demand HD streaming via the existing MySky units (they already have an Ethernet port on the rear of them) and potentially using the band-end iSky infrastructure would be a huge boost. Secondly Sky need to revisit their pricing and the way in which they package content in the face of imminent competition. Thirdly, Sky need to massively expand their current library of content.

macduffy
20-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Thirdly, Sky need to massively expand their current library of content.

But that's a big part of the problem isn't it?

They can only offer that content if they buy it and in the EPL case they were outbid. Unfortunately, more content equates to either higher viewing prices or lower profits - or probably, both. However one looks at it, the investment attraction of SKT reduces.

Zaphod
23-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I've not used Netflix in NZ, so does what you have said mean that your internet speeds enable you to watch Netflix stuff through your TV in quality comparable to ordinary TV?

Cheers

It's close to Sky SD but is quite variable due to Netflix not having any local content distribution system in Australasia. With local content distribution, we could receive the same HD/Super HD quality as Canada & the USA enjoys.

Zaphod
23-08-2013, 03:38 PM
But that's a big part of the problem isn't it?

They can only offer that content if they buy it and in the EPL case they were outbid. Unfortunately, more content equates to either higher viewing prices or lower profits - or probably, both. However one looks at it, the investment attraction of SKT reduces.

Yes, you're right. From an investment perspective things are IMO not so rosy for existing holders. Long term however, Sky could evolve and I would hope that some of these steps are taken sooner, rather than later, despite the short-term SP pain it may generate.

macduffy
24-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Yes, you're right. From an investment perspective things are IMO not so rosy for existing holders. Long term however, Sky could evolve and I would hope that some of these steps are taken sooner, rather than later, despite the short-term SP pain it may generate.

Any ideas how they might do that?

macduffy
27-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Another perspective on SKT - from Nathan Field, GMI analyst:

http://www.gmi.co.nz/news/1478/sky-still-controls-the-game.aspx?utm_source=morgan%20online%20august%2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=football

macduffy
30-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Nothing to do with SKT as an investment, but I had to smile today while watching some MySky of the recent Ashes test at the Oval when the following caption appeared on the screen:

"Press red button for live Ladies Ashes"

Yes, I realise Australia and England were also playing at the time, at Hove, but it did conjure up some macabre images!