PDA

View Full Version : MarketMaker 5.3

peat
15-11-2006, 09:18 PM
A new thread!
Well there isnt anywhere else relevant and I just wanted to comment on MarketMaker (CMC's trading platform) and its upgraded version 5.3

Like its predecessor its got a huge print on the PC system but is stable enough in itself. Memory hog alert! and not just RAM or pagefile altho definitely those but at a very low system resource level. I have found this seems to give other applications issues - or arent I supposed to have 15 windows open in my default layout?

It takes a veritable age to start up too even with my dual core processor. It wasnt quite so bad in the previous version and is kind of annoying.

Some new features in the order placing are most welcome however. OCO's are much easier to place. I havent experimented with If Dones yet, but the whole layout is more intuitive around the new order window.

Prices can now display in Fade, Flash or neither, depending on how attension seeking you want price movements to be. And charts now can be set to use bid or offer.

There are a few more graphs properties available, I particularly enjoy pottering with the Point and Figure, but theres also Kagi, Renko , Three Line Break, and Heikin-Ashi with scale types of Linear, Log, and Reference.

Indicators are abundant, ADX, ATR , DMI, CMO, RSI, TRIX, Pivot Points, etc etc
SuperTrend was there before but is a useful trailing stop type indicator. I hadnt noticed Ichimoku before either so will surely spend some time with that cloudy magic now.

I've also discovered (again most of them may have been there before) drawing tools that include Fib Retracement, Fib Fan, Fib Arc, Gann Arc , Gann Lines , along with Speed lines AND Andrews pitchfork. Wow I dont need to do the calculations anymore.

So all in all some of the major limitations have been fixed except for the lack of a trailing stop mechanism.
One day maybe.

Steve
22-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Peat, what are your 'running costs' associated with MarketMaker?

peat
22-01-2007, 06:10 PM
nothing...
one must have an open account with CMC (min NZ1000) but there are no data feed charges or anything like that.(except for ASX quotes where the ASX charges so CMC obviously must recoup)

but I pretty much only trade forex where u pay thru the spread. so no running costs for me.

Steve
22-01-2007, 06:24 PM
You memtion that it is a bit of a drain on your system. What are the specs of your cpu?

peat
22-01-2007, 06:44 PM
As with most computing issues its not the CPU thats the issue, but memory or RAM. I have a gig of RAM and it uses 3/4 or more of that - which is quite unbelievable but thats how it is.
Even that wouldnt be too bad normally but as I said running it seems to make other applications fail with random error messages due to low system resources. Even in my experience as a computer engineer this is unusual, but I can live with it by not multitasking so much or shutting down MM if I need to. But I can run IE7 as well so it doesnt completely turn the computer into a 1 operation machine.
So yeh you will need a good chunk of memory to run this programme. but memory is cheap these days , imo everyone should have a gig.

Steve
23-01-2007, 09:34 AM
One final question, what made you decide to move to CMC? What makes them preferable to your previous broker? (if you had a previous one).

Thanks in advance
Steve

peat
23-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I had blown my previous a/c [xx(][xx(][xx(] with GFT based in CHicago and it was a huge hassle transferring money to them so when I regrouped I looked for a local broker. And after using CMC for over 6 months now I have had no problems with them.

Steve
23-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Peat, you have been very helpful

AMR
22-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi peat,

this is probably an irrelevant question to you since you trade forex, but do you know how to create a volume bar chart and the on-balance volume indicator?

XC

peat
22-10-2007, 06:10 PM
no sorry , I cant say I do.
I had a quick look on some stock charts but couldnt see them. I just use findata for looking at vol graphs.

peat
19-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Theres an update to this platform from last weekend. Quite a new style of interface. I'm just checking it out now. Worth a look.

http://update.marketmaker.co.uk/html/cfd/charting/Charting_Glossary.pdf

arco
19-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Peat

Interested to know if its still a power hungry beast

rgds - arco

peat
19-10-2008, 04:19 PM
yes its still a memory hog tho possibly not quite as bad
I could live with that tho if it did something extra , memory is pretty cheap these days.
but its largely the same beast with just a different style of interface.
There are a few new indicators tho see that link for the list.

AMR
25-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi, is anyone having trouble loading up the US indices? The S&P500 just isn't loading on my system.

peat
25-10-2008, 11:05 AM
The SPX500 loaded ok for me just now

Dazza
07-11-2008, 06:10 PM
peat i am wondering for ur Fx trades. what paper work do u do to show ur accountant when u are filing your tax returns?

peat
17-01-2009, 10:34 PM
just a comment on MarketMaker....

it runs a lot better now that I have 4 GIG of really fast ram :p
(which only cost $100)

peat
18-01-2009, 12:26 PM
no matter how much ram you have Marketmaker is still a pig tho.... a raid setup wont solve that.
even with 4 gig I find if I load MM first other applications crap out when I start them. eg Outlook cant locate pst file I mean WTF? But as soon as you close MM suddenly it can find the pst lol... So I open MM as the last programme I intend to use and that seems to work better.... And yes it also helps if you dont open heaps of charts simultaneousy so I set up a few different layouts which I can change to

peat
19-01-2009, 07:28 AM
peat, Can you list the specs of your pc including all h/w and software
no
:rolleyes: dont need tech support belg thanks...

arco
19-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Marketmaker plays havoc with my Sinclair ZX Spectrum......... unable to play Pac-man at the same time

http://htomc.dns2go.com/anim/anim/pacman3.gif

dumbass
19-01-2009, 03:12 PM
just scored this beauty off trade me.

put it straight in the pool room.

http://hankandwillie.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/old-computer-image.jpg

peat
19-01-2009, 04:18 PM
MM thread becomes the joke thread :o

(not that surprising tho)

arco
19-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Anyone checked to see if it will work on this

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t373/T373925A.jpg (http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t373/T373925A.jpg)

Thumpa
19-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Marketmaker plays havoc with my Sinclair ZX Spectrum......... unable to play Pac-man at the same time

http://htomc.dns2go.com/anim/anim/pacman3.gif

I upgraded the 16k memory to 48k on my speccy. I can play Jet-Set Willy now......

AMR
14-02-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.cmcmarkets.com.au/en/content/open_an_account/special_offer.jsp

"No Loss Trade Day, only available with new accounts, allows you to develop your trading technique by placing real trades on the TIQ Aussie 200, using our Marketmaker® trading platform, with a safety net. If you’re a first-time CFD trader, or you want time to practise, your No Loss Trade Day is the one day you can relax and dedicate yourself to learning.
When you’re on the money, you keep it all. If the market moves against you, we’ll wear the loss.
This limited, two-CFD exposure, on the TIQ Aussie 200 and on your chosen No Loss Trade Day only, will give you valuable experience for real-life trading. It’s a great way to build confidence."

A bit too good to be true?

peat
26-04-2009, 02:46 PM
using the triangle function to create winged creatures....

peat
27-08-2009, 08:17 PM
anybody managed to upgrade successfully tonight?
I restarted the app to do so and cant connect to update anymore.... :(

BRICKY
27-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I had a go but no luck either

TTrader
27-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Just trying here now it has gone through fine... anyone else having problems still?

peat
28-08-2009, 03:19 AM
yeh working now.

peat
19-01-2010, 02:45 PM
CMC have just offered MarketMaker as a web application. No install required.

Checking it out I am well impressed. Really aesthetic, responsive and pretty much fully functional.

CJ
19-01-2010, 03:45 PM
CMC have just offered MarketMaker as a web application. No install required.

Checking it out I am well impressed. Really aesthetic, responsive and pretty much fully functional.
have you compared it to IG Markets offering (also web based).

peat
20-01-2010, 06:23 AM
nope I havent CG but the Oanda platform is web based and I use that....
I havent done an indepth analysis of the web side of MarketMaker but theres not really any need to as it is obviously a port , in that the interface is similar. But it may alleviate some issues for people as it doesnt appear to be as hungry for memory via the browser.
Mainly just letting people know there is another option now.

peat
01-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Market Maker now incorporates its own TA tools
I'm just starting to look at it today but it looks awesome !
it will identify and draw wedges triangles and channels and plot targets for them
it will identify head and shoulders and double and triple top/bottoms
it will identify about 50 different candle patterns.
it will go and search on any of the instuments and report back what its found
or you can apply it to your own instruments looking for partic patterns or candles.

I know others have provided pattern recognition software including Steve Nison and I went to some seminar a couple of years back and they wanted thousands for the software plus they charged for their proprietary data feed.
CMC have added this for free !

it didnt find the wedge that EWI mentioned on Aug 8th re the SP500 that worked brilliantly though so it doesnt replace the human skill factor completely but it looks very educational if nothing else. I will post some pictures later one after I calm down a bit heh

Silverlight
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Hey Peat, are you quite good with marketmaker?

One thing with the software i have never enjoyed is trying to save shapes, lines, markers etc on the graphs, esp. when looking across hundreds of instruments.

When ever i change to another chart it wipes all the added information.

Got any tips/ hints.

peat
01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
do you make different layouts (groups of charts) and then save them ?
when you save a layout it will retain your drawings when you re-open it.
I have various layouts with a number of charts in each for different times of the day eg when the NZ mkt is open or not.
that way I dont need to have too many charts open at once but I can swap around amongst them easily.
Manage the layouts with the Layout Manager and set your default one there.