PDA

View Full Version : Property Investment Books

Dazza
19-12-2006, 11:27 PM
could someone suggest some property investment books to read

some with specific to new zealand in general

some just about property investing etc.

im going for residential at the moment.

im giving myself 1 year to learn it, be4 i cash up msot of my stocks for a deposit.

ive have watched the botany/dannemora boom in auckland gone past me, and it was good.

regards,
dazza

Mick100
20-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Property Investments
A strategy for Success

By Martin Hawes

Steve
20-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Dazza

Why read a book when you can pay $000's to attend seminars that will give you the same info but allow you to walk away with that warm fuzzy feeling[?]

These seminar people must be hurting in the current environment now that the property tide is turning...

Steve

minimoke
20-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Your local real estate pages, Property/rental Press, Harcourts Blue book and Real Estate Agents house listing magazine. Spot how properties/rentals/rents come and go off the market and watch the price each time. Other than this go to the local library and get every book out and read them all over the next year so you get some balance to the views. Plot the views against what you are seeing in the real estate pages / market to check for reliability of the information.

JBmurc
20-12-2006, 09:29 PM
kiwi property monthly mags& forums worth a read.
-most of the doz property books I,ve read run basicly along the same lines.
-personal don't see much cap gain upside in the overall NZ property maket for the next couple years looks very bearish to me, except for the odd hotspot-(invercargill,southland for me.)
- studying for reasons why a areas property will increase in value(or keep increasing)Land to build ratio,numbers of listings,sales
- areas income, main employers ,future growth etc ;)

Dazza
20-12-2006, 09:53 PM
cheers fellas keep it up

im giving myself a year or so, to study it ,get some brains about it etc.

so far i know that a newer house is good if u want negative gearing to offset ur personal income to decrease taxes cause new house = quicker depretiation.

rmbbrave
23-12-2006, 04:35 PM
"The Complete Guide to Residential Property Investment in NZ"

by Dudson & King.

It has Book Review section at the back for further reading. They even recommend some of de Roos books.

Dolf de Roos is supposed to be NZ property guru but on page 9 of "the NZ investor's guide to making money in residential real estate" he says:

"In GB, capital growth has averaged almost 10% over the last 900 years (since 1086)" and we all know what a crock that is - don't we Duncan?

coge
24-12-2006, 12:17 PM
www.propertytalk.com

Check out the forums. There are a few old pros in there offering some good experience. Don't pay any attention to the peddlers & the ra-ra-ra.

Frank Newman's "The New Zealand landlord's handbook" gives the run-down on practicalities. From a common sense perspective.[8]

Dazza
24-12-2006, 09:45 PM
awesome, thanks for the forum eh, forums has taught me alot about the market

great stuff

any other peeps want to recommand other propertytalk, obviously with specifics to new zealand

JoeKing
21-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Making money made simple. Noel Whittaker.
Might get a cheap copy here if your quick.
http://www.zillion.co.nz/buy/listing/2418385/

Planning for Property Success in NZ by Andrew King
http://www.goodreturns.co.nz/books/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=planning+for+p roperty+success&x=26&y=14&categories_id=60&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=97&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=

Good luck Dazza.

Jess9
09-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Dazza, Kieran Trass is a very good NZ author (and successful property investor, and worthly of a lookup and read, especially with the property cycle where it is today.

Also try Steve McKnight and Graeme Fowler. A good library will have all these author's titles, or most are still available to buy.

J9

JoeKing
11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Dazza
One of the very best practical books on Real Estate investing I have found is "Real Estate Riches" How to become rich using your bankers money' by one of NZ most successful property investors Dolf De Roos.
Cheers
JK