PDA

View Full Version : HLG - Hallenstein Glasson

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

JeremyALD
29-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Ah makes sense everyone :) personally it's my largest holding - but that is only about 15% of my portfolio. I'm a little more spread these days!

percy
29-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Ah makes sense everyone :) personally it's my largest holding - but that is only about 15% of my portfolio. I'm a little more spread these days!

"The trend is your friend."

Great knowing someone is a little more spread these days.
I am too,thanks to Christmas tucka,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,however, my portfolio remains heavily overweighted in out performing shares.!

For W69.Today's best buy is Couplands 1kg Christmas Cakes.Reduced from $14.99 to $7.50. In fact all their Christmas produce is half price.

winner69
29-12-2017, 09:11 AM
"The trend is your friend."

Great knowing someone is a little more spread these days.
I am too,thanks to Christmas tucka,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,however, my portfolio remains heavily overweighted in out performing shares.!

For W69.Today's best buy is Couplands 1kg Christmas Cakes.Reduced from $14.99 to $7.50. In fact all their Christmas produce is half price.

Surely Ray and his team didn’t make too many Christmas Cakes ....but then Ray doesn’t mind if supermarkets buy too many and have to hock them off at half price to clear the shelves.

Probably each cake only cost Ray a buck to make anyway ...good margins in cakes sometimes.

Does Ray still run the place or has he handed over to his sons? Great Canterbury business

percy
29-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Surely Ray and his team didn’t make too many Christmas Cakes ....but then Ray doesn’t mind if supermarkets buy too many and have to hock them off at half price to clear the shelves.

Probably each cake only cost Ray a buck to make anyway ...good margins in cakes sometimes.

Does Ray still run the place or has he handed over to his sons? Great Canterbury business

No No No they are at Coupland stores.......
I think the sons are running it nowdays.
In 1986 or 1987 Sydenham Bakery burnt down.
Coupland's bakery was just around the corner.
Coupland came round and said to Jon at Sydenham Bakery,"you can't loose your wholesale customers;use my bakery,we will do two shifts,your staff one shift,my staff the other."
Incredible generosity.

Beagle
29-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Don't really see why you're selling tbh. The summer has been a scorcher weather wise, transactions have been up on last year, the brands have good momentum, the forward PE is still low if they can deliver 12m+ NPAT in the first half which is looking very likely. Another dividend is coming in 4 months. What's not to like?

I also have been thinking they wouldn't of given an estimate of 50%+ NPAT unless they were pretty confident. Otherwise why else wouldn't they just of been conservative and said 30% or 40% plus. I remain confident.

I agree by 50%+ :) Actually 100%, I couldn't agree more. No way that 50%+ was a random choice of number and I am investing on the basis that they are very confident of beating that otherwise the number would have been something else.

winner69
29-12-2017, 11:50 AM
No No No they are at Coupland stores.......
I think the sons are running it nowdays.
In 1986 or 1987 Sydenham Bakery burnt down.
Coupland's bakery was just around the corner.
Coupland came round and said to Jon at Sydenham Bakery,"you can't loose your wholesale customers;use my bakery,we will do two shifts,your staff one shift,my staff the other."
Incredible generosity.

He a good guy that Ray and deserves more recognition than he gets.

It was interesting that about 10 years or so ago Coupland went ‘corporately’ and cut costs and the number of recipes and bought cheaper ingredients. I think two sons left the business because they said it had lost it family values. A few years of that experiment Couplands went back to the old recipes and the old ways of doing things and the sons came back .....Couplands based on good quality product at affordable prices.

Ray loves his racehorses. His colours are white with a red bakers hat on the back. Cool eh!

Hope you bought a few cakes ...should last a while.

Beagle
29-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Common baby...lets kick this up to $4 by 1.00 p.m. close of trade and make my end of year portfolio revaluation really awesome :t_up:

percy
29-12-2017, 12:25 PM

Hope you bought a few cakes ...should last a while.

Yeah right,should do, but don't.
Wife and I have a bit of an addiction problem with Coupland's Christmas Cakes.!!..lol.

Onion
29-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Common baby...lets kick this up to $4 by 1.00 p.m. close of trade and make my end of year portfolio revaluation really awesome :t_up:

Didn't quite get there! But still a nice rise toward the end.

Thanks for all your input this year Beagle. Your thoughts on AIR, HLG and the retirement sector (I'll forgive SUM bias) have been appreciated.

couta1
29-12-2017, 01:09 PM
I'm searching for those two X's I kicked out a couple of weeks ago, they are now worth around 20k more each, I'm offering a reward if anybody can find them and return them to me.

Beagle
29-12-2017, 01:18 PM
I'm searching for those two X's I kicked out a couple of weeks ago, they are now worth around 20k more each, I'm offering a reward if anybody can find them and return them to me.

LOL mate, I'm looking for a couple of extra X's for a different reason...too much Christmas eating :)
You're most welcome Onion...hard not to have SUM bias with one's views :)

Beagle
02-01-2018, 04:42 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11964674

Looks like the tills were ringing overtime at Christmas. Boxing day also broke records I read somewhere here https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/department-stores-gain-most-boxing-day-spending-lifts-64-–-paymark-b-211532

No specific mention of apparel sales but you would think going off recent company announcements that they'll be getting their fair share and some so if volumes are values of sales are breaking records one might draw the conclusion that retail in general is in a pretty healthy state. Augers well for 50%+ net profit increase.

percy
02-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Now you can understand why retailers like Labour governments...lol.

ps.So do second hand car/truck,and equipment dealers....

macduffy
02-01-2018, 07:47 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11964674

Looks like the tills were ringing overtime at Christmas. Boxing day also broke records I read somewhere here https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/department-stores-gain-most-boxing-day-spending-lifts-64-–-paymark-b-211532

No specific mention of apparel sales but you would think going off recent company announcements that they'll be getting their fair share and some so if volumes are values of sales are breaking records one might draw the conclusion that retail in general is in a pretty healthy state. Augers well for 50%+ net profit increase.

Yes, let's hope that record sales translate into record profits! (For Briscoes too, please!)

sideline
03-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Nice start to the New Year - $4 it is!

Beagle
03-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Nice start to the New Year - $4 it is!

Plenty more to come I reckon. Retail on fire overnight on the U.S. with many major retailers up 3-4%.

Beagle
03-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Plenty more to come I reckon. Retail on fire overnight on the U.S. with many major retailers up 3-4%.

and so it came to pass that HLG were up by a similar amount, go you good thing :t_up:

couta1
03-01-2018, 05:57 PM
and so it came to pass that HLG were up by a similar amount, go you good thing :t_up: It's going to be a VERY GOOD year for this stock, my Gutometer tells me so and I won't be disobeying it like I did last year with Air and A2, by selling large holdings way too early. PS-Couta's end of year price equals $5.20.

winner69
03-01-2018, 06:55 PM
It's going to be a VERY GOOD year for this stock, my Gutometer tells me so and I won't be disobeying it like I did last year with Air and A2, by selling large holdings way too early. PS-Couta's end of year price equals $5.20.

That’s only +27% Couts ...Go on be a bit more bullish. There’s a Labour Government you know and on top of that Jacinda and her partner are doing wonders as well.

Then again we get 40 cents in divies as well ....jeez that’s another 10%

No worries

even the nzd going there way the last few weeks

JeremyALD
05-01-2018, 02:38 PM
The highest it's been in many years. Are we headed back up to $5? If they deliver on their forcast of +50% NPAT I have a feeling it could get there sooner than we think.

Side note - Hallensteins continues to price higher than I've seen in the past. Have a look at their website, things are not significantly discounted outside of the usual $10 tees they do. The other thing is their new absent all star collection appears to be very popular.

Onwards and upwards!

winner69
05-01-2018, 03:05 PM
The highest it's been in many years. Are we headed back up to $5? If they deliver on their forcast of +50% NPAT I have a feeling it could get there sooner than we think.

Side note - Hallensteins continues to price higher than I've seen in the past. Have a look at their website, things are not significantly discounted outside of the usual $10 tees they do. The other thing is their new absent all star collection appears to be very popular.

Onwards and upwards!

You should be saying ‘are we heading to $6 again’

Got close to that a few years and making heaps more this year than back then

All looking good .....no worries

percy
05-01-2018, 03:15 PM

It could be said that we are "well positioned."

RupertBear
05-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Missed getting on board unfortuntaley, kept waiting for a wee dip that never came :( plus Craigs still have it as a Sell! :scared: WTF is that about!!

couta1
05-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Missed getting on board unfortuntaley, kept waiting for a wee dip that never came :( plus Craigs still have it as a Sell! :scared: WTF is that about!! Craig's probably hoping they can get some cheap shares for their own clients or their analysts are still laying on a beach somewhere. I was also waiting for a wee dip to replace some of the ones I sold a while back, maybe you haven't missed getting on board, after all it's still 95c short of my end of year target at this point.:cool:

Beagle
05-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Craig's probably hoping they can get some cheap shares for their own clients or their analysts are still laying on a beach somewhere. I was also waiting for a wee dip to replace some of the ones I sold a while back, maybe you haven't missed getting on board, after all it's still 95c short of my end of year target at this point.:cool:

Rumor has it that you're extremely well positioned though mate with a typical XXL sized Couta "go hard or go home" sized holding. Love it when my good mates do really well.
I'm pretty well positioned too :D Plenty of room for this one to run lots further north :t_up:

RupertBear
05-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Craig's probably hoping they can get some cheap shares for their own clients or their analysts are still laying on a beach somewhere. I was also waiting for a wee dip to replace some of the ones I sold a while back, maybe you haven't missed getting on board, after all it's still 95c short of my end of year target at this point.:cool:

Think I will bite the bullet and jump aboard next week :D

Hectorplains
05-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Some top notch group think going on here ... I especially love the conspiracy theory that Craig's 'sell' recommend is driven by a desire to drive the share price down to aid their clients' purchasing. Toot, toot, all aboard, eh!

JeremyALD
05-01-2018, 10:51 PM
Some top notch group think going on here ... I especially love the conspiracy theory that Craig's 'sell' recommend is driven by a desire to drive the share price down to aid their clients' purchasing. Toot, toot, all aboard, eh!

People have been saying that to us since this was $3....just saying. A lot of the reasons we have in previous pages are fairly sound and those members collectively picked up on a turnaround a lot quicker than others.

At any rate I am holiding until the next announcement. Not tempted to Couta it until we also get some forward guidance for the year and see how AU are headed.

Beagle
06-01-2018, 08:45 AM

Interestingly watching CNBC the other day they reported the back end of 2017 was very strong for listed U.S. retailers and if I remember correctly the sector actually ended up mid 20% for the year notwithstanding real fears mid year that Amazon was going to create this huge vortex. I think in that light considering how well average retailers performed in the U.S. last year and considering how HLG are really smacking the ball out of the park your price target is not unreasonable. Maybe I should have really Coutted it properly :D

winner69
06-01-2018, 08:46 AM
In case we forget this is where HLG share price is heading ....well into the yellow circle

Not new territory for the share price .....but HLG haven't made as much as they will this year for many years (if ever)

Guru Peter Lynch (or may have been another guru) liked looking at stock prices this way ...... told him when things were cheap ...cheap as

winner69
06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
That chart above (or below in my case) shows earnings and share price are rather cyclical doesn’t it

I’ll remind you late 2019 that the time to sell may have come.

Beagle
06-01-2018, 04:04 PM
If they make $25m this year after tax which is looking increasingly likely heck that's 42 cps and HLG on a 2018 PE of only 10 v a market average of about double that.

see weed
09-01-2018, 12:54 PM
If they make $25m this year after tax which is looking increasingly likely heck that's 42 cps and HLG on a 2018 PE of only 10 v a market average of about double that.
Looks to be losing a bit of ground lately but will probably rise again towards end of month.

sideline
09-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Looks to be losing a bit of ground lately but will probably rise again towards end of month.

A consolidation around the $4 mark was to be expected after the recent fast rise (and before the next leg up).

Kay
11-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Looks like someone has been shopping!

Kay
11-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Actually have I misunderstood..."staff share scheme"

JeremyALD
11-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Actually have I misunderstood..."staff share scheme"

Yup looks like it. I doubt a director or ceo would be able to buy shares before they announce h1 results given they would now know Xmas sales which is not privvy to the market

Kay
11-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Never been a good one for small print (or in this case...Print)

couta1
11-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Great stock to own on a day like this, nice and stable, unlike a certain milky one which is behaving like a Molotov cocktail by comparison. My best performing share by a country mile atm.

percy
13-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Winner69.
Although it may appear that today's best buys at Pak "n Save was solely on price.ie $3.99 for Pams 1kg Iced Xmas cake,and Ernest Adams 1kg Iced Xmas cake,also $3.99 ,the real reason was to do with the Percy taste comparison with Copland's Iced Xmas cake, that proved to be my favourite last year.
I was a bit slow off the mark buying only one Copland's Iced Xmas cake when they were half price,and they were sold out when I went back for more, so there has been a gap that needs filling.

Joshuatree
13-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Brilliant clever culinary marketing, xmas cakes stuck on to t-shirts!!:t_up: love the imagination and creativity here.Am off now to pick up some ,on special?.Laters.....

winner69
13-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Winner69.
Although it may appear that today's best buys at Pak "n Save was solely on price.ie $3.99 for Pams 1kg Iced Xmas cake,and Ernest Adams 1kg Iced Xmas cake,also $3.99 ,the real reason was to do with the Percy taste comparison with Copland's Iced Xmas cake, that proved to be my favourite last year.
I was a bit slow off the mark buying only one Copland's Iced Xmas cake when they were half price,and they were sold out when I went back for more, so there has been a gap that needs filling.

Got to be quick off the mark to get quality at a good price eh percy

Ray Coupland’s other great love is racehorses. Most of his horse have COUP in their name somewhere. He has a horse in the big race at Trentham today......possibly named with you in mind being a pretty savvy investor.

So Wellington Race 7 No 11 SAVVY COUP is the omen bet of the day

The stars are aligned for success at 4.33 ....just watch the horse with the jacket wearing white silks with a picture of a red bakers hat on his back (with blue sleeves and a red hat)

Maverick
13-01-2018, 10:58 AM
just chewing over if the recent spike in the SP is over cooked.
pros...USA just had its busiest Christmas sales since GFC, Aussy and Nz had a terrific season too.Weather is hot,USD at an elevated level ,HLG suggesting a 50% profit increase on the cards, increasing quality online presence,no debt, and wait there's more...... high divi not too far away.
cons....recent sp spike.potential Amazon arrival.(I just can't see that being a worry in apparel).

Its hard not to see the company doing extremely well for the rest of the season. IMO the SP is on its way to $4.50-60 pretty soon. Then it's what winter brings after that.

h2so4
13-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Winner69.

You know Rays recipes are from The Edmonds Cook Book.

winner69
13-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Got to be quick off the mark to get quality at a good price eh percy

Ray Coupland’s other great love is racehorses. Most of his horse have COUP in their name somewhere. He has a horse in the big race at Trentham today......possibly named with you in mind being a pretty savvy investor.

So Wellington Race 7 No 11 SAVVY COUP is the omen bet of the day

The stars are aligned for success at 4.33 ....just watch the horse with the jacket wearing white silks with a picture of a red bakers hat on his back (with blue sleeves and a red hat)

Savvy ran a great race ...third beaten a neck and nose. Race won the hotshot.

Paid $2.20 a place but I managed / fluked the tri of $150

percy
13-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Savvy ran a great race ...third beaten a neck and nose. Race won the hotshot.

Paid $2.20 a place but I managed / fluked the tri of $150

Well done.

The Pam's Iced Xmas cake may not have been the best buy today......??....lol.
Get through it first before starting on the Ernest Adams one.

winner69
13-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Well done.

The Pam's Iced Xmas cake may not have been the best buy today......??....lol.
Get through it first before starting on the Ernest Adams one.

Good one

Did that Ernest Adams delivery truck that meant missing years ago ever turn up?

Easter buns already on the shelves

percy
13-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Good one

Did that Ernest Adams delivery truck that meant missing years ago ever turn up?

Easter buns already on the shelves

Don't know about the missing truck,but when I went to the factory to complain about there Peanut Brownies I realised they had not keep up with the times.Like going into a factory that had not changed for 50 years.Most probably hadn't."
"Yes we had a batch of faulty peanuts.we did not know where the stock went to"
Think the MD was our old friend Barney Sundstrum,who was best avoided.

Beagle
17-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Watching CNBC this morning and they had a segment on the revitalization of retail. Really was a first half, second half story in the U.S.
First half, Amazon will kill everything and retail contracted to GFC level multiples. Second half retailers as a group are up 41%, that's the average for the average retailer as realization that online has its limitations and Amazon cannot be everything to everybody, (reality check if you like).
If we compare HLG's performance on 17 July 2017 HLG was $3.10. If it had gone up 41%, (ignoring dividends) it would now be $4.37. I suppose considering its outsized December dividend you could make the case that HLG has only gone up based on the average.
Here's the thing. I think their sales performance and resulting expected profit growth is well and truly above average so perhaps a further rerating is warranted ?

JeremyALD
17-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Well apparently clothing sales were down 2% in December which I thought was a bit strange considering our summer so Hallensteins is clearly well above trend!

Here is the link

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11975970

winner69
17-01-2018, 10:20 AM
That Paymark report on Boxing Day sales hinted at more than booming sales ....for all of December?

Interesting Stats NZ Electronic Card Spend for December month shows total core retail (excludes vehicle related stuff) only up 3.7% over pcp .....with apparel down 1.5%. That sort of suggests people weren’t buyingas many clothes.

HLG Group satires must be destroying other sector players in NZ and really booming in Australia to be achieving the numbers they are

No worries ...profits heading to $25m this year and share price $6 plus

winner69
25-01-2018, 07:13 AM
HLG have compellingly harnessed sustainable supply chains over the last few years as well as holisticly reconceptualizing cross-platform alignments. Great execution of strategic plans.

No wonder they are going to make $25m this year — and share price heading to $6

Leftfield
25-01-2018, 08:14 AM
HLG .... holisticly reconceptualizing cross-platform alignments

Wow very impressed by whatever that means! :t_up:

Brain
25-01-2018, 08:31 AM
Wow very impressed by whatever that means! :t_up:
I think Winner must be taking the piss

gbogo
25-01-2018, 08:36 AM
I think Winner must be taking the piss

You mean “holistically extracting the urinal substance”??

dragonz
25-01-2018, 08:54 AM
HLG have compellingly harnessed sustainable supply chains over the last few years as well as holisticly reconceptualizing cross-platform alignments. Great execution of strategic plans.

No wonder they are going to make $25m this year — and share price heading to $6

Oh bugger I knew I shouldn't have sold out at $4. Reinvested in retail but an illiquid stock whose share price has been languishing lately. 85% insider owned compared to HLG's 25%. I believed that this was the only reason in the share price difference but given the enthusiasm here I could be wrong. Will be interesting to see the 4th quarter results in early Feb

Beagle
25-01-2018, 10:27 AM
$Kiwi trading over 74 cents U.S. = good tailwinds for 2018.

winner69
25-01-2018, 11:13 AM
$Kiwi trading over 74 cents U.S. = good tailwinds for 2018.

KIWI sinks ...or not flying anymore

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/cf17af8e/nz-inflation-weaker-than-expected-on-cheap-food-retail-goods-kiwi-sinks.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NZ%20inflation%20weaker%20than%20expe cted%20on%20cheap%20food%20retail%20goods%20kiwi%2 0sinks&utm_content=NZ%20inflation%20weaker%20than%20expec ted%20on%20cheap%20food%20retail%20goods%20kiwi%20 sinks+CID_17b97dad248df133444498045facfe73&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=httpwwwsharechatconzarticlecf17af8enz-inflation-weaker-than-expected-on-cheap-food-retail-goods-kiwi-sinkshtml

alistar_mid
26-01-2018, 12:45 PM
I brought some awesome purple with pink flamingos beach shorts from there full price - first time I brought anything in ages

Might go buy a 2nd pair cause they are so cool

I'm sure it correlates with their recent good fortune

percy
26-01-2018, 12:49 PM
I brought some awesome purple with pink flamingos beach shorts from there full price - first time I brought anything in ages

Just about caused me to hit the sell button.
Purple and Pink.
Are you a Xdresser.?
Do you live in Auckland or Wellington.?

see weed
26-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Purple and Pink.
Are you a Xdresser.?
If you want to sell, I will pay $4.16 today. How many you want to sell?

percy
26-01-2018, 01:03 PM
If you want to sell, I will pay $4.16 today. How many you want to sell?

Off course I don't want to sell,however I am greatly concerned at the type of customers they appear to be attracting.
Purple and Pink flamingo beach shorts.
Don't you have any pride?'
What if there were widows,orphans and young people on the beach,or Beagle's hounds.?!

stoploss
26-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Off course I don't want to sell,however I am greatly concerned at the type of customers they appear to be attracting.
Purple and Pink flamingo beach shorts.
Don't you have any pride?'
What if there were widows,orphans and young people on the beach,or Beagle's hounds.?!

Don't worry percy you won't see too much of that stuff on the beach , they stock that for cruise ships passengers ......

winner69
26-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Purple and Pink.
Are you a Xdresser.?

No he’s a typical Christchurch guy

percy
26-01-2018, 05:27 PM
No he’s a typical Christchurch guy

Did you miss spell the last word.?
If so, yes we do have a few pinkies.
I guess you would call it diversity.?
Red and Black are our colours,pink and black we accept,but pink and purple.?.No way,Not us.!

JeremyALD
26-01-2018, 08:31 PM
I was speaking to my friend who is a buyer in Australia and she was telling me about Glassons and how she would love to work for them. She said their style had been completely changed in the last two years and was top fashion. I then told her about the SP and that I was investor. Pretty cool really, gave me a buzz

winner69
28-01-2018, 06:58 AM
Purple and Pink.
Are you a Xdresser.?

I thought you understood retail better percy. Prejudices might affect your judgement and you might make rash decisions one day instead of joking about it

Hallensteins just meeting the needs of today’s consumers, and doing it well....good eh

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/100871897/generation-z-and-millennials-set-to-change-retail-landscape

percy
28-01-2018, 08:20 AM
I thought you understood retail better percy. Prejudices might affect your judgement and you might make rash decisions one day instead of joking about it

Hallensteins just meeting the needs of today’s consumers ....good eh

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/100871897/generation-z-and-millennials-set-to-change-retail-landscape
Don't mistake my sense of humour as prejudices.Having survived two daughters' changing fashion moods,nothing surprises me.
Retail is, and has always been "customer" driven.
Trends and fashions change.
Retailers who are up,or ahead of their customers, survive.

ps.Let us know what your bowling club friends thought of you, when you turned up in your pink and purple Flamingo beach shorts.Are they going to be the club's new colours.?

pps.May help attract a new breed of bowlers.

winner69
28-01-2018, 09:05 AM
I was speaking to my friend who is a buyer in Australia and she was telling me about Glassons and how she would love to work for them. She said their style had been completely changed in the last two years and was top fashion. I then told her about the SP and that I was investor. Pretty cool really, gave me a buzz

Good feed back mate. Nice to hear news that gives you the warm fuzzies.

So Di really was Wonder Woman in turning Glassons around, esp in Australia

Sales monentum in OZ appears to have increased this year so expect sales out of Glassons Australia of about $35m in H1 and with about NZ margins that’ll be $2m/$3m more profit than last year. Real turn around that would be as they made stuff all in H217

Will be interesting to see how profitable Australia is becoming for them. Unlimited potential over there as the likes of Meyer and DJ realise that ‘specialists’ do better than ‘generalists’ / department stores these days.

Glassons Australia could become a force to be reckoned with in Australia (with buyers glueing up to work for them eh) and be the growth engine that drives HLG Group profits to $30m and beyond

You revised your full year expectations upwards yet Jeremy

Brain
28-01-2018, 09:16 AM
I never buy shorts. In fact I only wear a purple T shirt all year round. If everybody dressed like me
Hallensteins would not be a profitable business. I respect the right of anybody who is bold enough to wear pink and purple Bermuda shorts. The man needs to be congratulated for his bold tastes and thanked for his contribution to Hallenstein’s profits.

percy
28-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Did you buy the 2nd pair.?

JeremyALD
28-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Good feed back mate. Nice to hear news that gives you the warm fuzzies.

So Di really was Wonder Woman in turning Glassons around, esp in Australia

Sales monentum in OZ appears to have increased this year so expect sales out of Glassons Australia of about $35m in H1 and with about NZ margins that’ll be $2m/$3m more profit than last year. Real turn around that would be as they made stuff all in H217

Will be interesting to see how profitable Australia is becoming for them. Unlimited potential over there as the likes of Meyer and DJ realise that ‘specialists’ do better than ‘generalists’ / department stores these days.

Glassons Australia could become a force to be reckoned with in Australia (with buyers glueing up to work for them eh) and be the growth engine that drives HLG Group profits to $30m and beyond

You revised your full year expectations upwards yet Jeremy

I'm hopeful for 25m NPAT full year but I'm guessing 22 to 23 :) this weather has been blistering so surely that's helping drive a fabulous summer.

see weed
30-01-2018, 03:36 PM
I'm hopeful for 25m NPAT full year but I'm guessing 22 to 23 :) this weather has been blistering so surely that's helping drive a fabulous summer.
Should find out in about the next week. Trading update soon. Have been topping up the last few days.

Maverick
31-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Should find out in about the next week. Trading update soon. Have been topping up the last few days.
The countdown is on, this Friday I reckon , it's been the first friday of Feb the last 2 years. Lets see how fast this baby can go with these tail winds. A good exchange rate, super hot summer and the focus on "fast to market". Stars don`t line up more than that. Unless its AIR when fuel was $37

Beagle
31-01-2018, 05:31 PM
The countdown is on, this Friday I reckon , it's been the first friday of Feb the last 2 years. Lets see how fast this baby can go with these tail winds. A good exchange rate, super hot summer and the focus on "fast to market". Stars don`t line up more than that. Unless its AIR when fuel was $37

But wait there's more :) Thing is when fuel was $37 a barrel AIR had ten new competitors on new or expanded routes whereas HLG has fewer competitors after a few apparel company failures last year.

see weed
31-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Yes that's right, $4.35 here we come and a nice big divy in about 9 weeks, probably 15c:t_up:.

winner69
31-01-2018, 05:37 PM
But wait there's more :) Thing is when fuel was $37 a barrel AIR had ten new competitors on new or expanded routes whereas HLG has fewer competitors after a few apparel company failures last year.

And turning around Glassons Australia is really helping ....from making nothing to huge increase in sales with good margins is making a real difference to the bottom line - be surprised by how much soon

Only minnows in Australia - unlimited potential over there

Share price $5 soon is a certainty .."then onwards to $6

Beagle
31-01-2018, 05:42 PM
And turning around Glassons Australia is really helping ....from making nothing to huge increase in sales with good margins is making a real difference to the bottom line - be surprised by how much soon

Only minnows in Australia - unlimited potential over there

Share price $5 soon is a certainty .."then onwards to $6

Yeap, agree 100% !

Arbroath
31-01-2018, 08:52 PM
Yes that's right, $4.35 here we come and a nice big divy in about 9 weeks, probably 15c:t_up:.

I think it will be more like $14m npat with a 16-17 cent dividend. They paid 14.5 cents last year on just over $9m npat.

Beagle
02-02-2018, 05:55 PM
3rd Feb and 5th Feb for the last two years. I'm expecting a trading update and forecast for the first half on Monday 5th or (Wednesday 7th February if they have to triple check the figures because they're so good its almost unbelievable).

JeremyALD
06-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Let's hope we get a solid market update tomorrow to keep us from complete bloodshed

couta1
06-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Let's hope we get a solid market update tomorrow to keep us from complete bloodshed Doubt you'll get a blood bath with HLG, it's got a low beta, a small overseas ownership ,and it's relatively illiquid. PS-On the other hand, I would like to be proven wrong for top up purposes.

percy
06-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Doubt you'll get a blood bath with HLG, it's got a low beta, a small overseas ownership ,and it's relatively illiquid. PS-On the other hand, I would like to be proven wrong for top up purposes.

Heads...... Couta1 wins...
Tails.........Couta1 wins,,,...lol.
"well positioned."....

JeremyALD
06-02-2018, 07:01 PM
I mean a complete bloodbath across the NZX

tim23
06-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Update due any day soon expect to be be positive so should hold up okay

JeremyALD
07-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Took the opportunity for a small top up at $4. Very overexposed but that seemed like a good price with a divvy coming up.

couta1
07-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Took the opportunity for a small top up at $4. Very overexposed but that seemed like a good price with a divvy coming up. Was going to top up if it went below $3.95, probably won't get there though.

JeremyALD
08-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Will there be an update today? I can't handle the suspense!

Beagle
08-02-2018, 08:42 AM

LOL I know the feeling mate.

winner69
08-02-2018, 08:43 AM

No doubt we will because HLG always deliver

Not early starters at HLG HQ so be patient

winner69
08-02-2018, 08:45 AM
What’s to wait for ...we know sales are booming and earnings going to be up by more than 50%

Not getting worried are we?

JeremyALD
08-02-2018, 08:53 AM
What’s to wait for ...we know sales are booming and earnings going to be up by more than 50%

Not getting worried are we?

Considering I bought even more yesterday, YES haha. But all that can be put at ease by a fantastic announcement today :p

winner69
08-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Doesn’t look like any news today

Hopefully tomorrow

JeremyALD
08-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Doesn’t look like any news today

Hopefully tomorrow

Since there's no news I might again mention that I have not received a spin to win promotion discount in over two months. Which is really annoying because I used to get 40% off everything every couple of weeks and need some news shoes BUT maybe it paints the picture that there is no longer aggressive discounting. I'm also not getting harassed with discount emails anymore.

Now for the results to confirm my suspicions please!

JeremyALD
09-02-2018, 10:13 AM
I've sent an email to investor relations asking when we will get an update. Will let you know.

dragonz
09-02-2018, 10:27 AM
I think the currant share price has already factored in the expected positive update . Hope I'm wrong though

LAC
09-02-2018, 10:45 AM
I think the currant share price has already factored in the expected positive update . Hope I'm wrong though

Not sure on that, I think the update will have the share head north a bit. My only purchase during this "market bloodbath" so hoping for some good news

JeremyALD
09-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Depends 50% profit increase or above the SP will definitely go up. I'm just really unsure why there is such a delay. They usually have their results very quickly after Jan

JeremyALD
09-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Hi all. Spoke to Stuart. Update coming sometime next week. They are just waiting on finalising numbers and getting all the board together. Sounds like it will be announced Wednesday or Thursday.

BlackPeter
09-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Hi all. Spoke to Stuart. Update coming sometime next week. They are just waiting on finalising numbers and getting all the board together. Sounds like it will be announced Wednesday or Thursday.

cheers for checking and letting us know. Much appreciated.

winner69
14-02-2018, 07:21 AM
Is Trademe pushing for free delivery a challenge to the likes of HLG brands. What impact on margins?

dragonz
14-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Absolutely none. There is no such thing as "free delivery" . These costs just get pushed on to price as the margins for sellers on Trade me are already paper thin. This is just another revenue grab by an incompetent CEO. Might even work in favour of HLG as more NZ based sellers go to the wall as they are forced to up the prices to cover the new fees.

LAC
14-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Absolutely none. There is no such thing as "free delivery" . These costs just get pushed on to price as the margins for sellers on Trade me are already paper thin. This is just another revenue grab by an incompetent CEO. Might even work in favour of HLG as more NZ based sellers go to the wall as they are forced to up the prices to cover the new fees.
Totally agree, it is just revenue grab - it will just force sellers to hike the price of the items or absorb the costs which will squeeze those margins. I think they will lose some decent sellers on Trade Me who will move on to creating their own websites and selling elsewhere. I already know of some traders when I buy off them, they email back with a link to a website which is of their website with very competitive pricing.
Trade Me needs to innovate, not come up with these revenue grabbing schemes. People who are looking for particular items will visit store websites like HLG etc. as long as they stay competitive with the likes of Trade Me, they will be fine. They usually have better returns policy as well. Trade Me do have policies but they are just tick boxes to say they are doing something, they take no ownership in getting it resolved for a customer.

Beagle
14-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Pretty good announcement but not as stunning as I hoped but should please most on here.

Share price onwards and upwards methinks

??? Not showing any announcement on the NZX website yet ??? Do I need new glasses ?

LAC
14-02-2018, 08:54 AM
I cant see any announcement either....is W69 pulling our leg?

Maverick
14-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Pretty good announcement but not as stunning as I hoped but should please most on here.

Share price onwards and upwards methinks
Winner, have you already seen the long anticipated trading update?

JeremyALD
14-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Winner, have you already seen the long anticipated trading update?

It will be coming tomorrow or Friday guys. I was assured by Stuart it will be by close of week. It seemed they were finding it hard to get all the board together

Joshuatree
14-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Think w69 is at Oriental Bay prempting/ predicting again.:) It was a perfect storm for HLG , but a hard act to duplicate/ replicate.

Beagle
14-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Think w69 is at Oriental Bay prempting/ predicting again.:)
Maybe our friend found some special herbs down there that he ate with his breakfast this morning that gave him a prophetic vision :)

dragonz
14-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Pump and dump

Maverick
14-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Pump and dump
Crickey .. if they take any longer they may as well wait to the actual 6 month results.

JeremyALD
15-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Crickey .. if they take any longer they may as well wait to the actual 6 month results.

They would known their results at least a week ago for the summer season so I'm a bit confused by the delay.

Yes they've been waiting for the board to get together, but why do they even need to get together before providing a forecast? It's a bit odd as to why it's taking so long. I might be giving them another call at this rate!!

#impatient

Beagle
15-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Do we need another one of Winners prophetic visions to carry us through another day of waiting ?, sorry winner... mate I couldn't resist :D

winner69
15-02-2018, 09:08 AM
They would known their results at least a week ago for the summer season so I'm a bit confused by the delay.

Yes they've been waiting for the board to get together, but why do they even need to get together before providing a forecast? It's a bit odd as to why it's taking so long. I might be giving them another call at this rate!!

#impatient

Need to get Board sign off ...no surprises for individual Directors eh

One Director gone AWOL

percy
15-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Need to get Board sign off ...no surprises for individual Directors eh

One Director gone AWOL

Hopeless.!!
Emails,cellphones etc.
Any company director should know the company's calendar of events.

macduffy
15-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Perhaps one or more of the directors had a few questions that needed researching and answering before signing off? After all, we expect them to be more than just rubber stamps these days.

Beagle
15-02-2018, 11:28 AM
Perhaps one or more of the directors had a few questions that needed researching and answering before signing off? After all, we expect them to be more than just rubber stamps these days.

Well said. Perhaps the results are so good the bean counters have been asked to recheck them.

couta1
15-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I'm not worried as long as the SP starts with a 5 by the end of the year.

winner69
15-02-2018, 11:41 AM
I'm not worried as long as the SP starts with a 5 by the end of the year.

Yep, either starting with a 5 or a 3 ....no middle ground I reckon

Antipodean
15-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Yep, either starting with a 5 or a 3 ....no middle ground I reckon

5.3 start would work for me

percy
15-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Well said. Perhaps the results are so good the bean counters have been asked to recheck them.

Pretty slow bean counters this year.?
Should go back to last year's.
Nearly two weeks difference?
To survive in retail you need the right figures quickly.

JeremyALD
15-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Pretty slow bean counters this year.?
Should go back to last year's.
Nearly two weeks difference?
To survive in retail you need the right figures quickly.

I think its pretty poor. They could of at least made an announcement as to when we could have expected the results. Its likely a lot of people inside the organisation already know.

JeremyALD
15-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Anyway tomorrow is results day. I was assured it would be by the end of the week!!

Maverick
15-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Anyway tomorrow is results day. I was assured it would be by the end of the week!!
Yes I agree with Mr ALD that they must have pretty known the result for weeks. For whatever reason have delayed the announcement. I`d like to think that because in the meantime the SP has more than crept up, that there has been some "leakage" of some very good news. Why else would someone pay a new record price now instead of waiting till tomorrow. All this speculation is making me thirsty.

winner69
15-02-2018, 01:00 PM
I think its pretty poor. They could of at least made an announcement as to when we could have expected the results. Its likely a lot of people inside the organisation already know.

.......and the outside mate

Isn’t the share price doing well ....higher than before the market collapse and quite a way above the 395 it sunk to

One of the more volatile shares on the NZX at the moment

winner69
15-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Yes I agree with Mr ALD that they must have pretty known the result for weeks. For whatever reason have delayed the announcement. I`d like to think that because in the meantime the SP has more than crept up, that there has been some "leakage" of some very good news. Why else would someone pay a new record price now instead of waiting till tomorrow. All this speculation is making me thirsty.

...not a record mate ...it nearly reached 6 bucks once ...but heading that way again eh

JeremyALD
16-02-2018, 08:36 AM
...not a record mate ...it nearly reached 6 bucks once ...but heading that way again eh

15m NPAT forecast - 63% increase. Bloody brilliant!!!!!

winner69
16-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Half year profit over $15m

I understand they tried not to be too enthusiastic in the announcement but hard to restrain oneself eh

Jeremy will be excited as and getting his calculator out to redo his sums

Full year EPS will be about 43cents i reckon

Share price about $6 at year end ...been there before (almost)

No worries

winner69
16-02-2018, 08:39 AM

C’mon Jeremy ...show a bit of enthusiasm

JeremyALD
16-02-2018, 08:40 AM
I nearly cried with pride reading that hahaha. This is my largest investment I've ever made so happy I backed myself :)

winner69
16-02-2018, 08:44 AM
I nearly cried with pride reading that hahaha. This is my largest investment I've ever made so happy I backed myself :)

Well done

But remember even though HLG will become a greater % of your portfolio as the share price rockets ahead don’t be tempted to take profits ....let them run

JeremyALD
16-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Do you think it's a bit dodgy that the SP went up almost 10% before the announcement? I wonder where it will be today - $4.50 or so?

Beagle
16-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Sums it perfectly !

Congrats mate.

I understand they tried not to be too enthusiastic in the announcement but hard to restrain oneself eh

No worries
Momentum really building !!!! To see what I mean solve this equation :-
In early December they announced sales were up 15% for the first 17 weeks of the half year.
They have just announced sales are up 19.4% for the 26 weeks.
How much must sales have been up for the last 9 weeks to lift the total for the half year to jump a further 4.4% ?
I know the answer and its stunning and will post it later if nobody else works it out...
Just helping you guys brush up on your analytical and mathematical skills.

Looking forward, the exchange rate provides a very supportive environment for the second half as does the unprecedented growth in sales. Clearly the Glassons brand is finding real traction in Australia and it with this being such a huge market the outlook looks very good.

Leftfield
16-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Great news for HLG holders - well done!

JeremyALD
16-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Sums it perfectly !

Congrats mate.

In early December they announced sales were up 15% for the first 17 weeks of the half year.
How much must sales have been up for the last 9 weeks to lift the total for the half year to jump a further 4.4% ?
I know the answer and its stunning and will post it later if nobody else works it out...

Thanks Beagle. And also thanks for your brilliant commentary on this so far and you too Winner. A lot of people doubted us and thought it was group think but I wonder what they say now?

Beagle
16-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Do you think it's a bit dodgy that the SP went up almost 10% before the announcement? I wonder where it will be today - $4.50 or so?

Nothing to worry about, probably clever ST members getting in on the action. Should be $4.50 plus on that announcement easily as they shot the 50% guidance to pieces didn't they !

winner69
16-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Mow don’t think like that mate ......

.......but the 7% odd for me is pretty pleasing ......might even hang around for the 20 cent dividend in April or whenever ....and when the share price will be well over $5

percy
16-02-2018, 08:59 AM
An absolute stunning update.

winner69
16-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Just thinking that when Solomon Lew has sorted Myer out (or its gone into administration) he might get interested in the rising star of women’s fashion in Australia and buy Hallensteins.

The Glassons turnaround and growth in Australia and even in NZ would not have gone unnoticed by Lew, his own brands might be suffering a bit.

Hallensteins big wigs not getting any younger and might be ready to cash up at the top of the cycle.

iceman
16-02-2018, 09:07 AM

No worries

Yes this is a spectacular result for them and even above the optimistic forecasts on this site. So where is this going to take our juicy dividend, 40c ??

Hard to believe they were for sale at $4 only a week ago and glad I jumped in with my funds from reducing PPH, making HLG my biggest NZX holding:-) Can't wait for the divies and a further upward trajectory in SP

macduffy
16-02-2018, 09:07 AM

Now, that was worth waiting for, wasn't it!

:)

Arbroath
16-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Mow don’t think like that mate ......

.......but the 7% odd for me is pretty pleasing ......might even hang around for the 20 cent dividend in April or whenever ....and when the share price will be well over $5

They have historically paid close to 100% of npat out, sometimes 110%.

My gut says they hold a little back and we get 20c of the c. 25c EPS so they have some in the kitty to support a final of 20c also.

40cps for the year in dividends is 12.9% gross yield, or on a cost base of $3 its 18.5% - I feel like a cat licking cream

Beagle
16-02-2018, 09:13 AM
They have historically paid close to 100% of npat out, sometimes 110%.

My gut says they hold a little back and we get 20c of the c. 25c EPS so they have some in the kitty to support a final of 20c also.

40cps for the year in dividends is 12.9% gross yield, or on a cost base of $3 its 18.5% - I feel like a cat licking cream

Dogs like cream too :D

Joshuatree
16-02-2018, 09:31 AM
I have been a participant/ contributor/reason in this unprecedent perfect storm number 2.

I bought a pale powder blue polo shirt yest from Hallys im diversifying, not just T shirts now, some invisible philanthropic force guided me in there.
I hope all holders support their company this way and feel the force as one approaches a hallys, just follow it dont fight it and buy..

Unfortunately atp i buy my underwear from farmers , sorry about that.

Its hard keeping 100% of your faith in the cloth that hallys bought. But im a seersucker for having faith in a suit, which im looking to buy next. If all holders buy a suit with free shirt and tye for $199, think what the next results will look like , perfect storm no3:t_up:.

JeremyALD
16-02-2018, 09:46 AM
I don't know if anyone has seen their recent campaign either, but they have signed up four Instagram stars including the lead star of the hit Netflix show Riverdale. Its very smart marketing and I've been following their Instagram and over the last few days their Instagram following has increased significantly. It appeals to woman who tell their man to shop at Hallensteins and it also appeals to men because these Instagram stars are popular and cool.

They really are coming out 'hip clothing' more regularly nailing the kind of Melbourne feel. The transformation in brand imagine between the old 'Hallensteins' to 'Hallensteins Brothers' is really quite something and they've started to nail the image of what it means to be a 'brother'.

This sounds like a sales pitch but there has been a serious shift in marketing over the last year.

percy
16-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Just thinking that when Solomon Lew has sorted Myer out (or its gone into administration) he might get interested in the rising star of women’s fashion in Australia and buy Hallensteins.

The Glassons turnaround and growth in Australia and even in NZ would not have gone unnoticed by Lew, his own brands might be suffering a bit.

Hallensteins big wigs not getting any younger and might be ready to cash up at the top of the cycle.

I very much doubt even Solomon Lew can sort out Myers.Ongoing leases and staff entitlements will leave nothing for shareholders.Lew does have the added problem of being a major supplier to Myer.
Maybe HLG big wigs are getting a little older,but watch how the young Glasson is performing.No reason for the Glasson family to sell.

winner69
16-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Just in case you think $6 plus is a pipe dream I'll repost this chart from a few months ago

Even at $6 still only a PE of 13/14

But don't forget HLG a bit cyclical eh so don't think the party will last forever ....but OK for a a year or so

iceman
16-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Not a bad opening up 40c

BobbyMorocco
16-02-2018, 10:21 AM

I'm going to go with 27.71% up over the last 9 weeks. Am I right?

Beagle
16-02-2018, 10:23 AM
I very much doubt even Solomon Lew can sort out Myers.Ongoing leases and staff entitlements will leave nothing for shareholders.Lew does have the added problem of being a major supplier to Myer.
Maybe HLG big wigs are getting a little older,but watch how the young Glasson is performing.No reason for the Glasson family to sell.

Yes I think its perfectly clear that young Glasson is getting serious traction with Glassons in Australia and they see huge potential with 5 x the market size over there.
Seems strange to think of HLG as a growth stock but I said it before, people need to change their thinking from HLG just being a yield story and consider Glassons expansionary prospects in Australia.

Beagle
16-02-2018, 10:27 AM
I'm going to go with 27.71% up over the last 9 weeks. Am I right?

Well done ! I got 27.5% but was rounding things to make the math's a little easier. Awesome traction with sales growth and that growth was on top of strong sales growth last year and this year was generated at significantly better gross margin without the need for too much discounting. Hugely encouraging for long term shareholders to see the company getting such an unprecedented rate of sales growth.

percy
16-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Well done ! I got 27.5% but was rounding things to make the math's a little easier. Awesome traction with sales growth and that growth was on top of strong sales growth last year and this year was generated at significantly better gross margin without the need for too much discounting. Hugely encouraging for long term shareholders to see the company getting such an unprecedented rate of sales growth.

HLG would be the only stock I can think of at present, where the eps growth is well over two times the PE ratio.
In fact it is nearer three times.!!!..And all the time we can enjoy the MONSTER dividends.
As always we remain "well positioned".!!..lol.

Beagle
16-02-2018, 10:46 AM
HLG would be the only stock I can think of at present, where the eps growth is well over two times the PE ratio.
In fact it is nearer three times.!!!..And all the time we can enjoy the MONSTER dividends.
As always we remain "well positioned".!!..lol.

Very well positioned indeed. Have another look at SUM Percy. Growth this year 35-40% in underlying profit about to be reported. Average last 6 years growth in underlying profit ~ 45% and on a forward underlying PE of approx 14. PEG ratio of just 0.35 and strong sector tailwinds for the next 20-25 years suggests deep value and a great long term hold.

Anyway back to HLG. There's no way in the world they're getting stellar sales growth like this just out of their N.Z. operations. Things must be really gaining momentum in Australia for them which gives huge encouragement going forward due to the massive size of the market over there and huge potential.
Young Glasson taking the lead in Australia with his role there gave a useful insight into how much potential HLG see over there.
Really looking forward to the detail of all this in the half year announcement hopefully just before Easter, (not sure how they would release the half year result on March 30 seeing as that's Good Friday)

percy
16-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Very well positioned indeed. Have another look at SUM Percy. Growth this year 35-40% in underlying profit about to be reported. Average last 6 years growth in underlying profit ~ 45% and on a forward underlying PE of approx 14. PEG ratio of just 0.35 and strong sector tailwinds for the next 20-25 years suggests deep value and a great long term hold.

Even better when the SUM you hold are "free ones"..!!!!.lol.
They joined the RYM "free ones".
OCA are the odd ones out at present,works out my av price is about 61 cents,ie brought at 82/84 cents,sold half at $1.05/$!.06.

Beagle
16-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Even better when the SUM you hold are "free ones"..!!!!.lol.
They joined the RYM "free ones".
OCA are the odd ones out at present,works out my av price is about 61 cents,ie brought at 82/84 cents,sold half at $1.05/$!.06.

You're as cunning as a hungry beagle :)

Onion
16-02-2018, 11:01 AM
The transformation in brand imagine between the old 'Hallensteins' to 'Hallensteins Brothers' is really quite something and they've started to nail the image of what it means to be a 'brother'.

Your are right about the transformation that has taken place. Hallensteins of old was a reliable (but boring) place to go for middle-of-the-road clothes.

I guess I'm way too boring and old to be a 'brother' these days (I'm in the "Dad" mould now - embarrassing "Dad jokes" included).

I went to buy a jacket a while ago from Hallensteins Brothers and tried one on. I thought that it was a bit tight -- however the sales rep was suggested that they could have it altered to make it tighter! I guess that 'brothers' don't need to move their arms these days.

... so I think that they have moved on from serving me as a customer but I am happy as a shareholder if they can pump out the profits and dividends.

Thanks to all the posters on ST that led me to buy into this retail stock.

percy
16-02-2018, 11:07 AM
You're as cunning as a hungry beagle :)
"
Talking of which, we enjoyed a very pleasant morning tea on Monday at "The Fat Beagle",Darfield.
Nice scones.

Beagle
16-02-2018, 11:12 AM
"
Talking of which, we enjoyed a very pleasant morning tea on Monday at "The Fat Beagle",Darfield.
Nice scones.

LOL Love the name. Looks like everyone else loves their food too going off their facebook score. https://www.facebook.com/thefatbeagle/
Gotta love the way they have two real Beagle's to make the name authentic. Jealous much !!!!!

winner69
16-02-2018, 11:15 AM
You guys laughed at me i posted that last October

plenty o be had sub 275 wasn't there

About 18 months ago

HLG were headed for oblivion I believe

Remember those days beagle

Beagle
16-02-2018, 11:17 AM
About 18 months ago

Remember those days beagle

I sure do !!! Woof Woof...super returns for the early dividend hounds :t_up: Back in those days you needed to have ear muffs though due to the chorus of bleating that retail as dead :lol:

minimoke
16-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Holey smoke - up 14%. Well done to the Sharetrader analysts who backed this horse.

Maverick
16-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Now, that was worth waiting for, wasn't it!

:)
Yes McDuffy it is. "This will be a day long remembered" Darth V

JeremyALD
16-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Is there a possibility that the second half could also pull in 15m profit with this kind of growth?

The major test will be whether they can sustain this sort of momentum over the year and into next. If they can deliver growth next year we'll be looking at a much higher SP.

gbogo
16-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Holey smoke - up 14%. Well done to the Sharetrader analysts who backed this horse.

agreed. very good and consistent calls.

Beagle
16-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Is there a possibility that the second half could also pull in 15m profit with this kind of growth?

The major test will be whether they can sustain this sort of momentum over the year and into next. If they can deliver growth next year we'll be looking at a much higher SP.

The PCP in 2H last year wasn't as robust as 1H so this 2H comparison is easier to beat. Exchange rate is also more favorable now that in the PCP.
I really like their new marketing approach with facebook, twitter, Instagram and other social media channels. I think its clear there's a high degree of cool, hip young management expertise when it comes to marketing who are reaching out to their target market in a manner they've become more accustomed too. Augers well for the future and I will have to watch my weight with the fat juicy dividends we'll enjoy as we watch our company grow. https://www.glassons.com/ Autumn range in store now. My preliminary thinking is they could go close to $30m which if achieved on slightly less than 60m shares translates to an EPS of a whopping 50.3 cps !!
Might even be able to afford a special trip to Darfield to enjoy lunch at the Fat Beagle :)

see weed
16-02-2018, 02:16 PM
"
Nice scones.
But wait, there is another café called the Black Beagle, I noticed coming back from Whangamata yesterday. About 200 meters before the Thames turnoff heading south. Thanks also to sters. HLG comments. Have been topping up for a few weeks now.

winner69
16-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Now now mate, calm down a bit

Heck Winner telling Jeremy not to be so bullish .....always the other way round

But you never know ... they could make $30m this year 🛵🛶🛥🚒🚜

Joshua said we need to use those smiley things ....god knows what these mean

Joshuatree
16-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Now now mate, calm down a bit

Heck Winner telling Jeremy not to be so bullish .....always the other way round

But you never know ... they could make $30m this year 

Joshua said we need to use those smiley things ....god knows what these mean

I will try w69

Collectively they mean you have faith in the cloth that hallys bought;)
Individually they represent your transportation through lifes experiences from primitive speed bumps at speed, mopeds to passageways through the rapids to adulthood to a dream of an afternoon in rogers launch(called Black Scholes) wearing slightly used plimsolls , fiiling a bucket with snapper and draining the other bucket full of harvey wall bangers to an unfortunate accident to the romance of having a rural property with 10 acres that you can till and plough and meditate, and throw seed on.
Lucky you have it all mapped out in your mind at oriental bay, gotta have a plan and a place to do it in peace and serenity.:t_up:

winner69
16-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Thanks JT .... help me out .... what does you ;) mean

Beagle
16-02-2018, 02:53 PM
So $15m = 25.2 cps earnings. Hmmm... wonder what April's fully imputed dividend will be, crikey.

winner69
16-02-2018, 04:09 PM
So $15m = 25.2 cps earnings. Hmmm... wonder what April's fully imputed dividend will be, crikey.

And if Jeremy gets his pay full year will be over 50 cents/ share

Wow

BlackPeter
16-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Might even be able to afford a special trip to Darfield to enjoy lunch at the Fat Beagle :)
Let me know when you do ... not too far from our place - maybe a good place for the next sharetrader meeting ;)?

JeremyALD
16-02-2018, 04:34 PM
And if Jeremy gets his pay full year will be over 50 cents/ share

Wow

My official forcast is now 27m to 28m NPAT for full year, but I'm hopeful we could hit 30 if this sort of sales growth continues. Good end to the week !!

percy
16-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Let me know when you do ... not too far from our place - maybe a good place for the next sharetrader meeting ;)?

Sounds good,but keep an eye on it, as I believe it is for sale.

Joshuatree
16-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Take a pooper scooper with you

BlackPeter
16-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Wouldn't be surprised - we have seen many different owners before ;) New owner, new name, but yes, the beagles might go :t_down:

see weed
16-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Hope you don't mind, but bought another 4000 on close to make the graph look even better for the weekend. So we have all weekend to perve over the magnificent sp rise :t_up:.

percy
16-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Wouldn't be surprised - we have seen many different owners before ;) New owner, new name, but yes, the beagles might go :t_down:

My concern is the quality of the scones,especially the date ones.!........lol.
PS Thanks see weed.Community service will pay you great dividends.

Joshuatree
16-02-2018, 11:13 PM
W69 Thanks JT .... help me out .... what does you https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/images/smilies/wink2.gif mean

Good point, i forgot there is more than one of yous:t_up: All good fun with symbols on a friday. And an up week esp with the result here and partial Global sharemarket recovery, too good to last?

winner69
17-02-2018, 08:36 AM
HLG one of the most volatile shares on the NZX over the last week or so.

I love volatility. :cool::p :confused::scared: :cool: :p (whatever those mean)

see weed
17-02-2018, 09:25 AM
HLG one of the most volatile shares on the NZX over the last week or so.

I love volatility
Quite often there is about 5c between buyers and sellers and is very illiquid and bounces at lest 5c up and down all the time. 6 months results will be out on 30/3/18 when the market is closed..Good Friday, and juicy big div in about 7 weeks:).

Beagle
17-02-2018, 09:25 AM

Just curious regarding the sale process of the Fat Beagle CAFE. Are the two beagles included ?

whome
17-02-2018, 09:40 AM
My wife was a vet nurse. Described beagles (lovingly) as the original escape artists. Could rival Houdini!!! A bit off topic but who cares right now - Still smiling after yesterday’s HLG result!!!

see weed
19-02-2018, 04:15 PM
My wife was a vet nurse. Described beagles (lovingly) as the original escape artists. Could rival Houdini!!! A bit off topic but who cares right now - Still smiling after yesterday’s HLG result!!!
Me too. Still smiling after that 20k div they sent me 8 weeks ago and another in about 6 weeks, but hope to top up before then. I like nice round figures....numbers;).

winner69
20-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Share price collapsing

Xerof says 'gaps' can be bad and need to be filled or something like that

Hope HLG doesn;t think it has to fill that gap that was created last Friday and fall back to 430 or less

That would be a disaster ...esp for those who have put stops in based on a high of 490

couta1
20-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Share price collapsing

Hope HLG doesn;t think it has to fill that gap that was created last Friday and fall back to 430 or less

That would be a disaster Sounds great to me, below $4 would be awesome for a top up.PS-Id sell some other lower conviction stock for a loss just to buy some.

percy
20-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Sounds great to me, below $4 would be awesome for a top up.PS-Id sell some other lower conviction stock for a loss just to buy some.

I think See Weed will be getting as excited as you.!!!!
I am very happy with my modest holding,and looking forward to another lovely divie.
Hope they have enough raincoats in stock.?

couta1
20-02-2018, 04:54 PM
I think See Weed will be getting as excited as you.!!!!
I am very happy with my modest holding,and looking forward to another lovely divie.
Hope they have enough raincoats in stock.? Good for you, can't understand why people would sell at today's price when they could have sold at $4.90 a few days ago, deck building can't have become more urgent over that time, given the current weather.

Beagle
20-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Share price collapsing

That would be a disaster ...esp for those who have put stops in based on a high of 490

I said at the time of the announcement it should trade above $4.50 based on that stellar ~63% profit growth result. Possibly got ahead of itself a little at $4.90.
Any further price weakness might present as an opportunity especially cum a ~ 20 cent fully imputed dividend in April.

JeremyALD
20-02-2018, 05:23 PM
I said at the time of the announcement it should trade above $4.50 based on that stellar ~63% profit growth result. Possibly got ahead of itself a little at $4.90.
Any further price weakness might present as an opportunity especially cum a ~ 20 cent fully imputed dividend in April.

I'm pretty confident there will be another good update end of March when they'll mention how they have started the 2nd half. Given the growth and upcoming dividend I'd expect good support around $4.50

winner69
20-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Good for you, can't understand why people would sell at today's price when they could have sold at $4.90 a few days ago, deck building can't have become more urgent over that time, given the current weather.

Maybe they bought them at $2.75 so not much difference between $4.50 and $4.90 ......and taking heaps of profit in the process

Not many sold at 490/491 anyway

percy
20-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Looks to me as though a few of the posters who attended the Auckland meeting,are taking KW's tip LOV seriously,and to save themselves from being over exposed to retail, are selling a few HLG to fund their LOV purchases.
I hold LOV,having taken KW's tip up when they were under Au$4,00.[$7.84 today,thanks KW,and Noodles].........................................lol.
Also hold HLG.

see weed
21-02-2018, 12:16 AM
Sorry folks, sold a few I bought last week, and jumped back into ATM yesterday arvo. Couldn't resist the profit. But will buy back in end of March.

percy
21-02-2018, 06:51 AM
Sorry folks, sold a few I bought last week, and jumped back into ATM yesterday arvo. Couldn't resist the profit. But will buy back in end of March.

No surprises there..!!....
Another of KW's tips.....lol.

see weed
21-02-2018, 07:55 AM
No, I had already planned to do it. I just remembered yesterday afternoon of a2s half yearly and had to jump fast. Been jumping in and out of a2 for the last 4 years;).

LAC
21-02-2018, 08:14 AM

All this talk about KW, is this a ST user KW or someones initials you are using on here?

winner69
21-02-2018, 08:29 AM
All this talk about KW, is this a ST user KW or someones initials you are using on here?

Just an adorable KiWi chick I believe

You know what guys are like ;):eek2::cool:

oldtech
21-02-2018, 08:38 AM
LAC, KW was a ST user I believe, well-respected for her contributions from what I have seen. Here is a sample of her work:

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?9176-Using-TA-to-time-entries-and-exits

LAC
21-02-2018, 09:22 AM
LAC, KW was a ST user I believe, well-respected for her contributions from what I have seen. Here is a sample of her work:

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?9176-Using-TA-to-time-entries-and-exits

Yes I did search that user and saw 0 posts, so wasnt sure if that was the person being referred to. Thanks for clearing that up.

Beagle
21-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Just an adorable KiWi chick I believe

You know what guys are like ;):eek2::cool:

I don't think she had to pay for too many of her own drinks at Sunday's meeting lol.

Raz
21-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Don't say sorry to this lot..I have been selling on the drip constantly throughout this upswing.. its liquidity from last year has never improved.

garfy
21-02-2018, 05:24 PM
You are very astute Raz.

percy
21-02-2018, 05:37 PM
You are very astute Raz.

So are the people buying his shares.
A win win situation.

Raz
21-02-2018, 06:45 PM
So are the people buying his shares.
A win win situation.

Agree, as long as you take cash off the table at some point :-)

percy
21-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Agree, as long as you take cash off the table at some point :-)

Agreed.....................................

winner69
02-03-2018, 03:52 PM
HLG take CBL’s place in NZX50 ??

A good full year forecast and a 20 cent divie at the half year announcement and inclusion in NZX50 and share price will rocket

Not that long ago it was kicked out of that club ...just shows how stupid these indices are

Beagle
02-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Gives you "paws" for thought doesn't it, especially around $4.50. :sneaky2:

percy
02-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Had a look at the central ChCh store this afternoon.
Buzzing.

Maverick
09-03-2018, 11:58 PM
Had a look at the central ChCh store this afternoon.
Buzzing.
Just visited the central Melbourne shop to check out its presence and it was simply stunning. I'm a guy and don't shop there obviously so have zero opinion about the stuff in it. However what was amazing was that While there were loads of woman's clothing stores in the large mall all around it ,Glassons was obviously the store of choice. There main clients seemed to be young twenties. I watched for a while ,not a too tough a job, and was gob smacked about the magnetic pull of the place. About 1/3 of the foot traffic going past went in and a third of those came out with a glasson bag . Including my daughter but she was being shouted as my mystery shopper. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it right.

JeremyALD
10-03-2018, 08:02 AM
I think the biggest indicator for me that things are going well is the lack of discounting. I finally picked up some shoes at 20% off but had to wait a month or so for an online deal. Go back 6 to 12 months and I was sent vouchers for 30% and 40% off everything at least every couple of weeks.

Hallensteins brothers campaign is also connecting. Their Instagram following has increased from 20k to 25k in about 6 weeks.

Things are looking good for an extremely strong year. 28m NPAT is on its way which will be their best year ever I think.

Dyor :)

Maverick
10-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Yes Jeremy , excelllent point. I didn't mention that there was NO signs of any discounting on the windows or product. Also the significance of the MEL store humming is that the Aussy's are loving the merchandise. That means........ growth.

Beagle
10-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Vested interest. Really liking the fact that Timothy Glasson has 20% of this company and has sent the young Glasson over to Aussie to drive Glassons Australian growth.

percy
10-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Vested interest. Really liking the fact that Timothy Glasson has 20% of this company and has sent the young Glasson over to Aussie to drive Glassons Australian growth.

The owner's eye.
Very important when looking for a company to invest in.
Skin in the game.
Skin on the line.
Other companies with this "owner's eye" factor are HBL,EBO,MFT ,RYM and TRA.

winner69
10-03-2018, 11:59 AM
The owner's eye.
Very important when looking for a company to invest in.
Skin in the game.
Skin on the line.
Other companies with this "owner's eye" factor are HBL,EBO,MFT ,RYM and TRA.

You left CBL of your list

percy
10-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Offcourse.!!

thestg
10-03-2018, 12:41 PM
I am very happy with HLG's progress as it is my largest holding being over 38% of my portfolio.
I bought it in August for $2.93 per share & plan to hold it long term or until it has any misfortune to cause it to trigger my trailing stop loss.
Looking forward to next months dividends.

Beagle
11-03-2018, 11:11 AM

All the proof you ever need that management / directors having a significant stake is but ONE of many factors to consider carefully when choosing one's investments. Me, I reckon Insurance companies, (what with the 1 in 100 year weather events happening 4 or 5 times a year now) is best left to those that enjoy playing Russian Roulette.

I am very happy with HLG's progress as it is my largest holding being over 38% of my portfolio.
I bought it in August for $2.93 per share & plan to hold it long term or until it has any misfortune to cause it to trigger my trailing stop loss.
Looking forward to next months dividends.

Very nicely done. I bought quite a few at a similar level and topped up in the low $3's. Looking forward to hearing how the Glassons expansion is going in Australia when they report their half year earnings on 30 March...(well that's the date they said but not quite sure how that works seeing as that's Good Friday). Going down to the pet shop today, I'll need a much bigger dog food bowl for April's dividend :D

JeremyALD
11-03-2018, 12:39 PM
All the proof you ever need that management / directors having a significant stake is but ONE of many factors to consider carefully when choosing one's investments. Me, I reckon Insurance companies, (what with the 1 in 100 year weather events happening 4 or 5 times a year now) is best left to those that enjoy playing Russian Roulette.

Very nicely done. I bought quite a few at a similar level and topped up in the low $3's. Looking forward to hearing how the Glassons expansion is going in Australia when they report their half year earnings on 30 March...(well that's the date they said but not quite sure how that works seeing as that's Good Friday). Going down to the pet shop today, I'll need a much bigger dog food bowl for April's dividend :D

Yes looking forward to the dividend!

Only thing I'd say about insurance is that they have reinsurance for big events and are better covered now, especially after the earthquakes. Tower to me is pretty well placed albeit not without risks!

JeremyALD
11-03-2018, 12:43 PM
p.s. had to fork out $50 on a belt today at Hallensteins as that was the cheapest in the mall! Must be pretty good margin on that sale, they had some nice shoes I was thinking of buying too (all at full price). Store again was busy.

What on Earth is Barkers doing? Their marketing team needs to learn a lesson or two from Hallensteins me thinks. They are so grossly overpriced for the quality and their clothes aren't at all hip.

winner69
11-03-2018, 01:02 PM
p.s. had to fork out $50 on a belt today at Hallensteins as that was the cheapest in the mall! Must be pretty good margin on that sale, they had some nice shoes I was thinking of buying too (all at full price). Store again was busy.

What on Earth is Barkers doing? Their marketing team needs to learn a lesson or two from Hallensteins me thinks. They are so grossly overpriced for the quality and their clothes aren't at all hip.

So I wont be seeing in a Barkers or 3 Wise Man store then Jeremy?

winner69
11-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Will be really interesting to see how much success they have had in Australia .....I would hazard a guess that most of the 50% plus profit increase has come from over there

NZ probably going quite well ....but hard to see them doing anything near 50% profit growth

Beagle
11-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Will be really interesting to see how much success they have had in Australia .....I would hazard a guess that most of the 50% plus profit increase has come from over there

NZ probably going quite well ....but hard to see them doing anything near 50% profit growth

Agree, I think progress in Australia is excellent.
At the mid point of their half year forecast of $14.75 - $15.25m, i.e. $15.0m on 59.65m shares that's EPS of 25.2 cps for the half year and as you know they have traditionally paid out all of their earnings as depreciation approximates capex, although last year they had $12m in capex as they relocated Chch stores and expanded and refurbished to new format stores. They said in the annual report that in FY18 capex would return to normal, approx. $6-7m per annum but I for one would be pleased to hear about a planned acceleration of the expansion of Glassons in Australia and them hold back another ~ $5m extra to drive further growth in Australia for FY19.

percy
11-03-2018, 02:57 PM
I am always interested in HLG's online growth.
They have been enjoying substantial growth in this sector,and it seems to be the/an indicator for future overall growth.

Beagle
11-03-2018, 04:10 PM
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1803/S00278/no-buyer-for-meccano-menswear.htm

No buyer for Mecanno stores, all 7 stores to close. Market is pretty efficient isn't it !
Shares jumped on Friday as a result of this announcement of the same day
One more competitor bites the dust. HLG simply so good nobody wants to take then on from a competitive point of view.

winner69
11-03-2018, 04:20 PM
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1803/S00278/no-buyer-for-meccano-menswear.htm

No buyer for Mecanno stores, all 7 stores to close. Market is pretty efficient isn't it !
Shares jumped on Friday as a result of this announcement of the same day
One more competitor bites the dust. HLG simply so good nobody wants to take then on from a competitive point of view.

Bugger - Jeremy probably never been in one but the shoes st 70% might get him interested

Lookes like nobody can keep up with Hallensteins and Glassons ....from Top Shop down the landscape is littered with failures .....H&M to walk away next

winner69
12-03-2018, 01:23 PM
The current owners of Meccano had only owned them for a short time before growing broke

Obviously previous owners saw the writing on the wall and got out before Hallensteins killed them

Go HLG

Share price closing in on 5 bucks

When they announce a 20 cent divie that’ll put 20 cents on the share price ....a good boost to the next stop of 6 bucks

winner69
12-03-2018, 01:47 PM
When you read stuff like this about the Australian retail scene Glassons must be doing AMAZINGLY well over there

From The Australian under a heading Consumer spending hard to sustain as income growth is weak

The difficult conditions in retail — reflected in department store operator Myer’s removal from the S&P/ASX200 on Friday — are not helped by the restoration of spending overseas in the official statistics. Both the December and last week’s January retail reports have been poor and suggest there has been no change in the underlying issue facing consumers of poor income growth and high debt.

Beagle
12-03-2018, 02:55 PM
The current owners of Meccano had only owned them for a short time before growing broke

Obviously previous owners saw the writing on the wall and got out before Hallensteins killed them

Go HLG

Share price closing in on 5 bucks

When they announce a 20 cent divie that’ll put 20 cents on the share price ....a good boost to the next stop of 6 bucks

It'll hit $6 just after they announce major expansion plans in Australia. HUGE market and MASSIVE potential over there and only a tiny number of highly successful Glassons stores there so far. Go back 18 months when you and I were buying at circa $2.80...who would have thought of HLG as a growth stock then :)
Heck we could even sell some and carry the rest for free if we were into such things but I'd rather add even more and make more, like I did last week at $4.50.

Raz
13-03-2018, 08:04 AM
It'll hit $6 just after they announce major expansion plans in Australia. HUGE market and MASSIVE potential over there and only a tiny number of highly successful Glassons stores there so far. Go back 18 months when you and I were buying at circa $2.80...who would have thought of HLG as a growth stock then :)
Heck we could even sell some and carry the rest for free if we were into such things but I'd rather add even more and make more, like I did last week at $4.50.

It would be a day to celebrate... a NZ company finally get it right in Australia..we will wait and see :-)

Now sold down to a decent parcel however would not get carried away on this stock...one factor is lack is scale.

H & M I hear is doing well in NZ so speculation on that is..gross speculation.

winner69
13-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Couldn’t help but notice this about Briscoes in the NBR - Briscoes coped with a margin squeeze to record to record profits

No margin squeeze at Hallensteins / Glassons apparently ...they say margins are much improved

Super record profits on the way

macduffy
13-03-2018, 08:49 AM
It would be a day to celebrate... a NZ company finally get it right in Australia..we will wait and see :-)

Now sold down to a decent parcel however would not get carried away on this stock...one factor is lack is scale.

I wouldn't be too concerned about any perceived lack of scale. HLG is doing nicely within its "own skin" with steady, planned growth. Scale doesn't always mean too much - witness WHS, Myer, etc.
:cool:

couta1
13-03-2018, 09:22 AM
A classic buy and hold while the cycle is running up, see where things are at in a couple of years, in the mean time just watch the SP climb and collect the big divvies.

Maverick
13-03-2018, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned about any perceived lack of scale. HLG is doing nicely within its "own skin" with steady, planned growth. Scale doesn't always mean too much - witness WHS, Myer, etc.
I'm with you on this McDuffy. On my Melbourne "Feild trip" the prominent shopping bags were Top man, Glassons and H&m. Topman came with much pomp and ceremony a few short years ago and is now toast. Their store is significant with multi levels. H& m have a similar size area that takes up a small entire block with multi levels. hlg here is your more typical "mall" shop. It seems to me anything with such a large physical footprint in this slick online era is the modern dinosaur. Add to Mcduffys list of Myer, Whs, ...Topman, and I'll bet H&m.

Hlg have gone the other way and split Glassons away from Brothers. They seem To be the new "mammal" in this environment "small and neat" with an excellent online platform. The only caveat to this is managing to attract the punters in but from my two day observations hlg are somehow pulling it off.( and without discounting)

If Hlg starts increasing its physical store sizes significantly then I will be first down the escalators and out the multiple exit doors.

Beagle
13-03-2018, 09:46 AM

Really looking forward to celebrating that. Huge dividends fed from Australian consumers. Almost makes up for the underarm bowling incident doesn't it :)...actually mate, it wouldn't be a first, I heard a wee rumour the other day that A2 seem to be doing more than alright over there :D

percy
13-03-2018, 10:23 AM
If Hlg starts increasing its physical store sizes significantly then I will be first down the escalators and out the multiple exit doors.

And I will be right behind you.!

jg8512
13-03-2018, 11:23 AM
And I will be right behind you.!

Seen the Lambton Quay store .... ??
A. A monster

percy
13-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Seen the Lambton Quay store .... ??
A. A monster

Luckily no.lol.

Raz
13-03-2018, 12:35 PM

It does if you end up in a retail war in Aussie..

winner69
13-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Luckily no.lol.

Even has an escalator ..or two

percy
13-03-2018, 01:06 PM
y
Even has an escalator ..or two

Sounds very much like their central ChCh store.

couta1
16-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Sale of Storm business, good move, prune off the dead wood. What a contrast to certain other NZ retailers who love storing dead wood.

Beagle
16-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Sale of Storm business, good move, prune off the dead wood. What a contrast to certain other NZ retailers who love storing dead wood.

Agreed. Reviewing last year's annual report it is clear they have been struggling with Storm for a while now. Concentrate on what is positive and eliminate the negative. As you say mate, its a heathy thing to prune the dead wood.

iceman
16-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Agree. Focus on Hallensteins and Glassons in NZ and Australia. They will get a little bit of cash from this sale, I think book value is about $2m. May be just enough to support a 23-25c divie coming up !!

percy
16-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Dead Ducks waste a lot of directors/management's time and energy.
Yes prune off the dead wood, and concentrate on the winning outlets.
Positive.

iceman
16-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Dead Ducks waste a lot of directors/management's time and energy.
Yes prune off the dead wood, and concentrate on the winning outlets.
Positive.

Mr Market doesn't seem to agree with us. Maybe time to top up !!

sb9
16-03-2018, 01:41 PM
Mr Market doesn't seem to agree with us. Maybe time to top up !!

Got my first parcel just now at 4.60 (been waiting on the sidelines for a while), thanks for the sale whoever it was selling.

couta1
16-03-2018, 01:41 PM
Mr Market doesn't seem to agree with us. Maybe time to top up !! Low volume mate, a few reef fish having a panic, no worries.

JoeM
16-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Bought some at 460 as well, figure with the minimum 15c dividend to come its good buying.:)

iceman
16-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Got my first parcel just now at 4.60 (been waiting on the sidelines for a while), thanks for the sale whoever it was selling.

A good buy. You'll get about 5% of it back in a month or so !!

winner69
16-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Storm sold to its CEO/GM I think

Maybe paying Debbie to take it off their hands?