PDA

View Full Version : Golden West Resources (GWR) - Iron Ore

Huang Chung
25-01-2007, 11:28 PM
I was made aware of this stock about a week or so ago, and noticed that there doesn't appear to be a thread running on it either. It seems an interesting story to discuss.

Here are a few of the main points......

Diluted market cap under $200m.
Main project is called the Wiluna West Project, and is located in the central part of W.A.
Principal focus - Iron Ore (hematite), with gold and uranium potential as well.
Potential major high grade iron ore project of at least 200 to 250 mil tonnes identified.
5 prospective mineralised units (units A to E)
Cumulative strike of 125km
Only units B and C to date explored and only in the northern exposed areas, representing 30% of strike.
Southern portions largely under cover.
Iron ore surface sampling over 10 km of strike returned samples up to 68% Fe.
The C4 prospect is up to 130 metres wide, 1.2 km long, open at depth and along strike, high grade +63% iron ore. Additional targets identified.

Development planned in 2 stages.

Stage 1.
Outline JORC reserves of 5 million tonnes of high grade direct shipping iron ore.
Produce 1 mtpa - transport by road to Leonora then rail to Esperance.

Stage 2. (requires the building of a rail line)
Define resources of 100 to 200 million tonnes.
Produce 10 - 12 mtpa.
Port options - either Esperance or Oakajee (proposed port) north of Geraldton.
If Esperence, rail to be built from project to Leonora to join up with the existing rail.
If Oakajee, th rail would run from the project to west of Meekatharra to join the planned rail near Weld range / Jack Hills.
Geraldton Iron Ore Alliance is lobbying the WA Govt for approvals to build the Oakajee port facility.

My personal opinion is that it sounds like it could turn out to be a marvellous resource, possibly hampered by its remote location. Distances are considerable, and so will be the costs. There also seem to be a lot of 'ifs' at this stage regarding the Oakajee option. As railways don't come cheaply, and GWR is a pretty small company, I would guess a JV with a Chinese / Korean / Japanese steel company might be an option, provided the tonnage justifies the considerable costs.

Shares currently trading around $2.40. From what I can tell, they were about 60c in the middle of 2006, so you probably could not say GWR was 'undiscovered'. None the less, it does sound like a prize piece of ground, and maybe, just maybe... worthy of a higher value than the market is currently willing to give.

I've bought in, looking for them to prove up a large, high grade resource that could attract a cashed up partner (or predator).

If GWR looks interesting to you, please do your own research, as there is much more information to digest than the few snippits I've mentioned above.

I'd be interested to read anyones views.

COLIN
04-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Yesterday was the day to buy!!!!!!!!!! Up nearly 60% today.

steve fleming
05-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Yesterday was the day to buy!!!!!!!!!! Up nearly 60% today.

Will likely continue into next week.

PMM buying up big.

(Another) Takeover shouldn't be too far away - a fair dinkum one this time!!

Huang Chung
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Extract fron West Australian:

One of the big winners from the broker’s collapse is iron ore miner Portman, which today acquired a 10 per cent stake in Golden West Resources, throwing a spanner in Fairstar Resources’ planned takeover of the company.
Fairstar had 10 million Golden West shares pledged to ANZ Nominees on behalf of Opes Prime as security for a January capital raising by the company.
“It appears that Opes Prime is claiming that it has beneficial ownership of these shares and, based on the volume of trading in Golden West shares on 1 and 2 April 2008, it is possible these shares have already been disposed of by ANZ Nominees,” Fairstar said in a statement.
“Fairstar is vigorously pursuing the transfer of these 10 million Golden West shares back to it through legal action, but resolution of this issue may not be known for some time.”
For its part, Golden West welcomed the deal, saying in a statement that it looked forward to discussing Portman’s investment with the company in the near future.

Potentially, a huge iron ore resource for the victor. Will probably need deep pockets though.....

corporateraider
18-04-2010, 08:41 PM
This company has gone nowhere for a long time but methinks the patient will be rewarded.

Disc: Recently bought a few

corporateraider
14-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I still continue to hold. The share price comtinues to appreciate even though the market is going nowhere. The company is moving towards mining and Cliffs holds a significant stake in the company.
This is one of those investments that I have never much liked except that it has a significant iron ore resource and the price was always well supported through good market and bad.
And now as Mr P says why would you sell when its in an uptrend?

corporateraider
17-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Closed on 103.
Who knows what is happening with a company that communicates even more poorly than PRC.