PDA

View Full Version : New Overseas Taxation Legislation

29-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Now that the implementation date of 1st April is approaching does anyone understand it exactly?

Have any of you taken professional advice about it?

If my understanding is correct then I am better off with the new system than the old as all my holding in Platinum Trusts distribute more than the 5% figure to be used. This would hold for most Australian Unit Trusts over time as Australian laws require them to pay out all realized profits. These are held in a family trust.

On a personal basis my overseas investments do not exceed $50,000 on cost or current value. However these are hedged funds and as I understand it the total profit will be taxable when they are wound up ( 2012 thru 2015 ). Having played around with a spreadsheet I have come up with the result that I would be better off adopting the new system than sticking with the old one. The question here is , do I have that option.

And what happens when , in years to come, these investments have a value over the $50,000 minimum. Are you then required to change or does the value at 1/4/07 still prevail?

A lot of questions but it is getting close and some decisions and adjustments need to be made.

Any discussion would be appreciated.

Steve
29-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Do a search for the existing 'discussion' thread...

Deev8
31-01-2007, 10:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve

Do a search for the existing 'discussion' thread...

It's here:
New Overseas Tax Rules - Worked sample problem (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23127)

Take care because the early posts refer to the earlier proposed tax - better to start at the end of the discussion thread.

Jessie
08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Will Australian unit trusts such as Platinum International Fund be subject to the new deemed dividend rate system? If so, investors in these funds may be better off as they generally pay much more than 5% in distributions each year.

patsy
09-02-2007, 06:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jessie

Will Australian unit trusts such as Platinum International Fund be subject to the new deemed dividend rate system?

No because it's Australian based.

Snoopy
09-02-2007, 11:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by patsy

Will Australian unit trusts such as Platinum International Fund be subject to the new deemed dividend rate system?

No because it's Australian based.

With respect Patsy, I don't think it is that simple, and I think you are wrong.

The new regime applies to collective investment vehicles that invest overseas (that means outside Australia and New Zealand in this context) wherever they are based. An Australian based investment vehicle that only invested in Australia and New Zealand would not be subject to the new regime. Platinum International invests in many more countries than Oz and Nz, so falls under the new regime.

Even worse than that, it is also subject to Australian capital gains tax for which no compensatable credit is available in New Zealand. So Platinum International from a New Zealand perspective is now double taxed. It is a terrible situation for Platinum International holders based in NZ.

SNOOPY

Snoopy
09-02-2007, 02:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by aspex

Capital gains tax on NZ residents from the Oz IRD?
I think not.
or are you suggesting that they pay CGT within the fund before valuation? That may be so.

The latter. Oz funds have to pay capital gains on all their trades.
NZ investors do not *see* a capital gains tax, only a lower unit price.

IOW the capital gains are removed upsteam of the individual investors. Individual investors may not see the CGT, but they still pay it.

SNOOPY

Steve
09-02-2007, 03:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Snoopy

IOW the capital gains are removed upsteam of the individual investors. Individual investors may not see the CGT, but they still pay it.

IOW[?]

Jessie
09-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I am quite confused by this new tax. I have direct overseas shares which originally cost about $45,000 and some Platinum International units which originally cost $30,000. I assumed I would fall comfortably under the $50,000 threshold but perhaps not. In that case maybe I should sell my Platinum units before the end of next month.

I also don't want the hassle of having to list all my overseas investments and their cost for the benefit of IRD - I am not precisely sure how much some of them cost as I have bought and sold shares in the same company several times in some cases 15 years ago.

Is there a clear description of this tax somewhere? I can't find anything on the IRD web site. It seems astonishing that it is being introduced so soon without clear guidlines covering a situation like mine which can't be that unusual.

Perhaps I should sell Platinum anyway if it is taxed for capital gain already. I think I now have to declare new units issued during the year as income? I think their tax status changed last year for some reason? Although Platinum has performed well over the years, I think I can find good investments with good diversification which are better treated taxwise - eg, direct investment in Australian shares.

Snoopy
09-02-2007, 11:08 PM

I am quite confused by this new tax. I have direct overseas shares which originally cost about $45,000 and some Platinum International units which originally cost $30,000. I assumed I would fall comfortably under the $50,000 threshold but perhaps not. In that case maybe I should sell my Platinum units before the end of next month.

I also don't want the hassle of having to list all my overseas investments and their cost for the benefit of IRD - I am not precisely sure how much some of them cost as I have bought and sold shares in the same company several times in some cases 15 years ago.

Perhaps I should sell Platinum anyway if it is taxed for capital gain already. I think I now have to declare new units issued during the year as income? I think their tax status changed last year for some reason? Although Platinum has performed well over the years, I think I can find good investments with good diversification which are better treated taxwise - eg, direct investment in Australian shares.

Jessie, on the information you have disclosed you come under the new tax regime, no doubt about it.

Platinum has been taxed on any realised capital gains for as long as I can remember. There is nothing new in that. Personally I have a lot of respect for Platinum. Great managers who maybe have the potential to produce OK returns for you despite being double taxed from 1st April 2007! So perhaps you should think about selling enough of your other overseas investments, retaining only $20,000 worth of 'others', to get Platinum under the threshold?

If you are serious about 'selling down', and this is an exercise I have been gradually working through myself, the most tax effective way to do it is to sell down those investments that have grown the least. The $50,000 exemption is based on original cost. So by keeping the investments that have grown the most, that means you will do less to upset the 'OzNz' to 'All Other Country' balance of your portfolio.

You should also pull out of any dividend reinvestment schemes that means your holdings will incrementally increase at today's cost that in turn will tip over the threshhold with time. Take the 'cash dividend' option and you should be OK. If you are getting new Platinum units in lieu of dividends then AFAIK there has been no change in legal tax treatment for New Zealand investors paying income tax in New Zealand. Where did you hear about such a thing?

If you have bought and sold shares in a single company, reducing your holding to nil in the interim, then obviously the purchase price of your shares is the most recent one. If you have only bought and sold only part of your holding then I haven't seen anything that says you can't use LIFO (Last in first out) to value the shares you still have.

SNOOPY

PS I too will be putting more into Australia to get some of my international diversification back. But even there I will have to be careful. Some companies that look Australian, like James Hardie and Westfield, do come under the new regime!

OldRider
10-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Jesse:
You are correct in your view of the NZ tax treatment of Platinum units, the income which purchases the new units in lieu of the dividend, has been taxable for about two years, so that now there is no point in having the "E" type units.

When this occurred I transferred my Platinum investments to British based trusts - eg: RCP CLDN.

In all other ways I believe Snoopy is correct.

So in fact Platinum holders would have been better switching to British based for many years due to the CGT in Australia. I guess this might be why their return has averaged higher then Platinum.

At the moment I am not sure what to do as we are over the threshhold, probably will stay as at present and bite the tax bullet, it is always preferable to make the best investment decision regardless of tax.

Steve
10-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Found this one under Mary Holm in todays herald...

I refer to the recent reply regarding the new overseas tax legislation from Inland Revenue, which stated that the Aussie exemption doesn't include companies that are not resident in Australia, even if they are listed on the Australian stock exchange.

As it may not be readily apparent that an Australian listed company is not an Australian resident, is Inland Revenue going to provide such a schedule on its website, which will ensure that taxpayers can comply with the new legislation.

For example BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto are dual listed in Australia and Britain, but are they resident in Australia? Also Rinker's main business is in the United States, but is it resident in Australia?

Inland Revenue is being unfair, if it leaves it up to the taxpayer to determine a company's residency.

Inland Revenue has no plans to publish such a list.

But, says Peter Frawley of the department, "If a person receives a dividend from a company listed on the Australian stock exchange that carries Australian franking credits (this would be stated on the shareholder dividend statement that the person receives from the company) then this should provide sufficient certainty that the company is resident in Australia."

He adds that "it has been a requirement for many years with the current Grey List exemption for a person to know whether the companies they invest in are resident in Grey List countries (Australia, United Kingdom, Germany, Norway, Spain, United States, Canada and Japan)".

I think Frawley is politely trying to tell you the new rules will be easier than the old ones, so what are you moaning about!

patsy
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Snoopy

My comment regarding Platinum came directly from a tax seminar I attended just hours before I posted the message. I'm not suggesting that they were correct and you are wrong but let me explain their rationale:

(1) When assessing whether an investment vehicle (such as Platinum) is subject to the new legislation, we have to look at both the underlying investments (as you pointed out) and where the investment vehicle is taxed. If it is taxed in NZ or Australia, according to the seminar, then it does not fall within legislation. As you mentioned, Platinum is subject to Australian CGT therefore it shouldn't be caught by the new legislation. If this were incorrect, then every NZ-based unit trust that invests in overseas shares would be caught as well. This approach of looking at the tax status of the investment vehicle is similar to the approach that the IRD guy from Steve's post is saying (i.e., if a ASX listed company is paying franked dividends, then it is not caught).

(2) As you know, there are plenty of listed investment funds in Australia, for example HHV (Hunter Hall Global Value Fund). Would this be caught? Following you rationale, the answer is "yes". They invest in shares in the former Grey List. However, HHV is also subject to Australia CGT therefore, it shouldn't be caught by the NZ legislation.

(3) On the other extreme, we have WINZ, a NZ-based vehicle investing in overseas markets that is actually not paying any NZ tax because it is a passive fund - since it doesn't pay NZ tax, then it is caught.

(4) Another extreme example would be a US-based exchange traded fund that invests exclusively in Australian shares. The underlying investment is Australian companies but the vehicle pays CGT in the USA. Therefore, such an EFT would be caught by the new legislation on the basis of its tax status, not the underlying investment.

Again, I am not suggesting or supporting this interpretation of the legislation. I have just downloaded the entire report (500 pages or so) from the select committee and will read it in detail to confirm or deny this. However, the above examples are the conclusions I got from the tax seminar.

There are other cases, which affect me personally, that I would like to analyse. For example:

(1) the hedge funds OM funds from Man Investments are Cook Island registered. Their underlying investments are so complex that it is impossible to assess if the they are caught or not.

(2) LionTamer funds - some of them follow an index (e.g., the Japanese fund) but I think they don't invest in Japanese shares as such.

(3) The timing of investments is also something it is not completely clear to me. If I hold, say, $100,000 of an American stock as of 1 April 2007, then I'll pay tax according to the new legislation in the 2008 tax year. However, if I bought such stock on, say, 1 May 2007, then I wouldn't be paying any tax in the 2008 tax year but in the 2009 year (assuming I keep on holding such stock as at 1 April 2008).

Snoopy
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by patsy

My comment regarding Platinum came directly from a tax seminar I attended just hours before I posted the message. I'm not suggesting that they were correct and you are wrong but let me explain their rationale:

Ok Patsy, thanks for the context. Was this seminar actually run by the IRD, or an independent consultancy firm?

quote:
(1) When assessing whether an investment vehicle (such as Platinum) is subject to the new legislation, we have to look at both the underlying investments (as you pointed out) and where the investment vehicle is taxed. If it is taxed in NZ or Australia, according to the seminar, then it does not fall within legislation. As you mentioned, Platinum is subject to Australian CGT therefore it shouldn't be caught by the new legislation. If this were incorrect, then every NZ-based unit trust that invests in overseas shares would be caught as well.

Patsy, what you say certainly seems to be fair and reasonable. But I would hesitate to suggest that all financial legislation is fair and reasonable, so I hope you will allow me to remain sceptical. The main problem I see with the new tax is the inability to claim losses when your share investment portfolio goes down. This will result in the same capital gain being defacto taxed more than once. It will also mean that losses that occur over a period of greater than a year incur a tax bill. In my eyes this is respectively double taxation, and legislating tax on a loss when no profit has been made. Both are highly inequitable, and I am surprised that AFAIK, I am the only person that has noticed!

As it stands at the moment every NZ based unit trust, with the sole exception of index funds, that invests overseas is subject to capital gains tax now. NZ unitholders never see this tax as it just comes off their unit price. Nevertheless the fact that the NZ unitholder doesn't 'see' the tax, does not mean it isn't there.

Under the new regime, NZ based unit trusts that invest overseas will no longer have to pay the existing capital gains tax. Instead they will pay the new 'deemed rate of return' tax. As before the fund will pay the tax internally. Unit holders do not have to worry about the new tax only because the NZ fund they are investing in will have already paid it for them.

To sum up I think your corollary reasoning that:

"every NZ-based unit trust that invests in overseas shares would be caught as well."

is correct. Every NZ based unit trust *is* caught, the only advantage to the unitholder being an administrative one. Namely that the trust will pay the tax for the individuals instead of the individuals paying the tax themselves.

quote:
This approach of looking at the tax status of the investment vehicle is similar to the approach that the IRD guy from Steve's post is saying (i.e., if a ASX listed company is paying franked dividends, then it is not caught).

Again this makes huge sense, but I will believe it when I see it.

quote:
(3) On the other extreme, we have WINZ, a NZ-based vehicle investing in overseas markets that is actually not paying any NZ tax because it is a passive fund - since it doesn't pay NZ tax, then it is caught.

I have no argument with your interpretation of what happens to

Snoopy
11-02-2007, 01:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by OldRider

At the moment I am not sure what to do as we are over the threshhold, probably will stay as at present and bite the tax bullet, it is always preferable to make the best investment decision regardless of tax.

This is a sentiment I agree with Old Rider. Almost inevitably an investment that is sold as 'tax effective' is tax effective for one reason- it makes a loss!

The main reason I do not wish to pay *this* tax is that I belive the underlying reasoning behind it, that NZers are investing overseas and trading in markets that gives them a lower tax bill for the return received, is not true. Thus in using the new tax to 'level the playing field' (so called) the IRD are actually tilting the playing field in favour of Oz and NZ. Frankly, I intend to take advantage of this policy mistake.

SNOOPY

patsy
11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Snoopy

Thanks for your thoughtful response. The seminar was run by a Auckland-based tax lawyer, not by the IRD.

Incidentally, I have just read that Money Online are also running a seminar over the next few weeks in Auckland and Tauranga. Check with them if they are going to be in Christchurch as well (assuming you're still there!)

Your comment regarding an internal change of taxation of NZ-based unit trusts that invest overseas is what I had in mind (but didn't articulate that well!). NZ-based unit trusts will pay tax according to the new legislation instead of paying capital gains tax. The tax seminar I was referring to estimated that this change may possibly result in a decrease in total tax paid by the unit trust and this, consequently, in better performance.

I believe that the case of Platinum and other Australian based trusts still needs to be investigated. You may be aware that Platinum made a submission to the Select Committee in the initial round of consultation. The submission was available on their web site. I suspect that there was a reason for doing so, i.e., because it'd affect their unit holders.... but perhaps they just did it because Cullen's/Dunne's original proposal was load of ****, not because they felt affected themselves (I hope!).

My example of a US-based EFT investing in Australian shares is an illustration of the fact that there may be "something else" to consider other than *only* the underlying investment of the funds.

The select committee report is available at

http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/SC/Reports/8/4/9/84996534b1b94a8ca144a51cc2b727c3.htm

The case of hedge funds, like OM, is still debatable. You may recall some early discussions in another thread regarding whether commodity and bonds funds as well as future contracts would be caught. Hedge funds, because of their very own nature, are unlikely to invest in assets themselves but in a range of synthetics and derivatives. They (generally) do not own shares as such. This is what makes me wonder if they'd be caught.

Ricky99
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Does anybody know if we can use LIFO for working out the relevant price to value our shares on. I've got 19000 AVM at $12 each, but the first 10k I got at 1.80 and others at various prices so would love to use the lowest initial prices rather than be forced to use an average price etc.

Steve
13-02-2007, 06:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Ricky99

Does anybody know if we can use LIFO for working out the relevant price to value our shares on. I've got 19000 AVM at $12 each, but the first 10k I got at 1.80 and others at various prices so would love to use the lowest initial prices rather than be forced to use an average price etc.

Generally, the IRD does not allow LIFO for tax purposes...

Mr_Market
22-02-2007, 03:35 PM
FYI. Looks like the IRD have updated their website with some more information:
http://www.ird.govt.nz/news-updates/liketoknow-offshore-investments-pie.html

mamos
25-02-2007, 11:46 AM
FDR regime on non All Ordinaries listed shares.

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24304

Snoopy
26-02-2007, 09:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve

quote:Originally posted by Ricky99

Generally, the IRD does not allow LIFO for tax purposes...

From page 18 of the publication:

"New Tax Rules for Offshore Portfolio Investment in Shares" (a special report on policy advice from the department of Inland Revenue),dated 23rd February 2007

"In ascertaining whether shares are bought and sold in the same year for the purposes of the “quick sale gains” part of the quick sale adjustment, a last-in-first-out (LIFO) method applies to determine whether shares in a foreign company sold in a year were purchased in the same year."

Granted IRD are talking about short term traders rather than long term shareholders here. However, given IRD are moving to remove distortions in tax rules for different classes of investors, IMO it is very likely that LIFO will apply to long term investors valuing their portfolios as well.

Unless you have any evidence to the contrary Steve?

SNOOPY