PDA

View Full Version : Weatherside cladding

lakeside
22-06-2007, 09:45 AM
We are looking at a property with this cladding. It's not looking too bad 25 years old and has been kept painted. We like the house damn it!

Apparently a lot of this cladding was used in the 80's that looks a lot like hardy plank/ board painted was used from NZFP bought by Carter Holt.

If wet it goes like weetbix.

I notice the real estate agents are quick to say if it is weatherside to cover themselves in their ads these days - just do a search on the word.

Bit of stuff on this other forum about payments and recalls but according to the building inspection company it was just discontinued, and he doesn't make too much of a deal of it.

http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1873

http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15702

The valuer says maybe take $10 000 off the price but if we had to reclad it would be $30 000 and tricky finding the right size stuff.

Anyone experienced this.

ari
22-06-2007, 02:52 PM
lakeside...ahh Weatherside cladding....I had a house built with this cladding back in 1973 and I totally reclad it some 15 years later. Did it one Easter, just 2 of us and it was not too difficult.
We did get a portion paid out by Hardies as compensation. The irony of the payment was that Hardies would not meet payment to extension which the builder sourced to match original even though product had been pulled of the market some months B4, as Hardies maintained it had not broken down???
Yes, some still looks OK but do look closely at boards on the Southern and sheltered sides of house if you have not already done so. Look under the bottom edge of the boards and if you see small cracks in the paint (easily covered with fresh paint) then delamination has started...and it will!!

quote:The valuer says maybe take $10 000 off the price but if we had to reclad it would be $30 000 and tricky finding the right size stuff.

$10,000 (average house) if you can do it yourself and as for size, yes most Weatherside of the time was fairly wide so the house could be bought up to a modern look with something like Linea.