PDA

View Full Version : DTL: Solid IT company

tommy
25-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Solid results out!

Also check out good analysis by Intersuisse:
http://www.intersuisse.com.au/files/Industrial/Data3%20-%20Intersuisse%20-%2012%20July%202007.pdf

Data#3 confirms yet another record full year result

BRISBANE, Wednesday 25th July 2007. Data#3 Limited (ASX: DTL), an information and communication technology solutions company, today announced that results for the 2007 financial year were anticipated to be ahead of general market expectations.

- Total revenue for FY2007 expected to exceed $280M
- EBIT of approximately $9.9M forecast for FY2007, up 27% on previous year
- Another record full-year result for the company
- Intention to extend on-market share buy-back for 12 months

Subject to year-end audit, revenues in excess of $280M and EBIT of approximately $9.9M are predicted for the year ended 30th June 2007. This constitutes another record full year result for the company.

Revenues for the 2006 financial year were $239.6M, and EBIT was $7.8M, while revenues for the first half of 2007 were $135.8M, and EBIT was $4.1M.

Managing Director John Grant said the second half performance had more than met expectations.

gIn a market which remains strong but competitive and in which there is considerable pressure on costs this result is exceptional and testimony to the investments we have made in developing market-leading expertise, the strong relationships we have maintained with our
customers and suppliers, and the commitment of our people,h Mr Grant said. The Board intends to announce the audited full year results and the final dividend on 22nd August 2007.

Intention to extend on-market share buy-back
The Board also announced its intention to extend the on-market buy-back (of up to 10% of the companyfs ordinary shares) for a further 12 month period, commencing 1st September 2007.

The on-market buy-back was introduced on 1st September 2006. To-date 44,115 shares have been purchased under the on-market buy-back, and have been cancelled.

gWe are satisfied that the buy-back has helped achieve the objective of delivering improved shareholder return on a sustainable basis and reducing volatility in the companyfs share price and the decision to extend it will maintain this position,h said Chairman, Richard Anderson.

gWe also intend to maintain our established dividend payment practice.h

About Data#3
Data#3 Limited (ASX: DTL) is a significant national Information and Communication Technology (ICT) solutions company.
Customers utilise Data#3fs expertise to deliver exceptional value in:
- Software licensing and software asset management
- Application and infrastructure integration, and support through outsourcing and remote
management
- Product sourcing and related integration services
- Optimisation of data centre infrastructure
- Contract and permanent recruitment.

Data#3fs customers cover a wide range of industries including banking and finance, mining, tourism and leisure, legal, healthcare, manufacturing, distribution, government and utilities and are located throughout Australia and Asia Pacific.

Data#3 reported revenues of $240 million in 2005/06 and has over 350 employees. The company is headquartered in Brisbane, and it has offices located in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Townsville, Rockhampton, Gladstone and New Caledonia.

More information about the company, its products and services is available at http://www.data3.com.au

tommy
25-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Forgot to add this:

Market cap: 93 million
PE: 16 vs sector average of 22

Once it hits 100 million market cap, more instos should pick this stock up in their radar. Compared to the PE of ASZ and UXC, this stock is very undervalued!

Lizard
25-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks Tommy. I seem to stumble over this one every now and then in my market screening, but never quite comes out as a Buy. Time for yet another look. :)

tommy
25-07-2007, 06:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lizard

Thanks Tommy. I seem to stumble over this one every now and then in my market screening, but never quite comes out as a Buy. Time for yet another look. :)

Hi Liz,

Glad to hear you are interested in this one too, not a good trading stock but a typical "buy and forget" stock. Buyback should put some upward pressure too, not to mention the dividends that instos like. Not a super sexy stock but a solid performer in the IT sector.

OneUp
25-07-2007, 06:56 PM
I rode this one from $1 to near zero in the tech bust then up to $4 - sold out a few years ago.

My main issue with DTL (and this space) is the margins. They're so slim. Any hiccup and profit disappears, so one to watch closely IMO rather than set and forget like say TRS.

tommy
25-07-2007, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by OneUp

I rode this one from $1 to near zero in the tech bust then up to $4 - sold out a few years ago.

My main issue with DTL (and this space) is the margins. They're so slim. Any hiccup and profit disappears, so one to watch closely IMO rather than set and forget like say TRS.

Well done Oneup for the 4 bagger[:I]

So you don't like ICT service companies at all due to their margins?

Got to disagree with you there, I personally think the "any hiccup" scenario really applies more to smaller companies that rely more on lumpy contracts and limited number of clients: the likes of ASZ, DTL and UXC seem to be more reliable due to the recurring revenue stream from a wide range of clients and their ability to win bigger contracts as they grow in size which naturally have a bigger margin.

From my perspective DTL management have been very consistent in their performance over the past few years and thus a forward PE ratio rather than one based on past performance should be warranted by the market.

Anyway, I appreciate your opinion as always, keep up da good work because you always seem to see things from an alternative angle and enjoy reading your posts mate[:I]

As for TRS, yeah, still banging my head on the computer screen for selling out those cheapo $2 stocks.... I am looking for the "next" TRS but at this point, haven't found such a multibagger yet, though hoping that RFG might do the trick (though there's a long way to go...)

thereslifeafter87
26-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I agree with Oneup.

The first thing I noticed when reading through the announcements posted above were the very slim EBIT margins.

It wouldn't take much to wipe 50% off the market cap of the company.

tommy
26-07-2007, 06:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by thereslifeafter87

I agree with Oneup.

The first thing I noticed when reading through the announcements posted above were the very slim EBIT margins.

It wouldn't take much to wipe 50% off the market cap of the company.

Hi TLA87,

Errr, very good points you raised about the rather thin operating margin compared to other firms.

Perhaps that is why they have a lower PE ratio than its peers?

But still, they have managed to consistently grow, pay increasing dividends, and have zero debt, so take that into account, current PE of 15 seems low.

As for "50% of market cap being wiped off easily", oh well, a re-rating should occur before such an event and in any case stop-loss should save my butt and lock in profits[}:)] Risk/reward ratio seems okay at the current price level.

tommy
31-07-2007, 09:36 PM
DTL rerating has begun, going against the gravity of the volatile sharemarket

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/interchart/interchart.asp?symb=AU%3Adtl&draw.x=0&draw.y=0

Easy money;)

Lizard
27-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Is this the only DTL thread? Pretty sure you're still on it KW? Looks to have been a good long term stock.

I just dug it out for a look and got value to $9.30 - currently trading at $8.50 but very illiquid. Looks similar to DWS? Perhaps with more federal govt contracts.

Margins seem on the tight side, but I guess that is what comes with high ROIC - competition.

mark100
05-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Big upgrade from DTL today

h2so4
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Looks extremely interesting.

Thanks for posting mark100

h2so4
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Bought a few yesterday.

There are some excellent posters for DTL on HC if anyone is interested. Camden55 and JiggyJigs.

h2so4
27-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Excellent result.:)

DTL expecting increase in 1H pre-tax profit of approx 70%

http://imagesignal.comsec.com.au/asxdata/20110127/pdf/01144634.pdf

h2so4
27-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Yes took me by surprise. I saw the price drop and quickly went looking for a reason. Couldn't find anything and the price soon recovered. I think it was just a bit of fear around the expected HY announcement.

DTL in good shape though with huge cash return.:)

h2so4
09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
The company is a humdinger. Still think it's cheap.

h2so4
09-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes your right.

buns
06-04-2011, 02:14 PM
DTL being a growth company I would expect it to have a higher than average PE. People probably compare it to other IT services companies, or even Telco’s which have low PE’s.

Good points KW surrounding their 2nd half, however I still expect them to come in on guidance – as they always seem to under promise.

DTL will be a nice one to ride for some years to come, but longish term I’m interested in how they handle Cloud. It will be a game changer in my books, and it is the kind of service that fits into DTL’s model (set up to produce lots of low margin services). If they can create some cloud IT solutions, integrating them in DTL should be seamless.

When I say how they handle cloud – I mean how their cloud business cases stack up, how much return they get from them. Because a lot of companies will be blowing mega CAPEX in this space if they aren’t careful, much like some online retailers who got it wrong, i.e Telecom and Ferrit. However the cloud capex will be a whole lot more

h2so4
23-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Y2011
There has been a very significant increase in sales and admin expenses.

"Internal staff costs increased by 21.3% in support of growth and increasing expertise, and operating expenses increased by 25.7%."

Apart from that there has been a reduction in current liabilities of $10m and some capital expenses, (announced in 2010 report) of $4m.

Still DTL steaming ahead as usual.

h2so4
09-02-2012, 02:10 PM
9.5 % 1H profit decrease announced. SP going up, ding!

DTL says they pay everything from cashflow. I think year end cashflow was negative, couple this with increasing costs, more capex and falling profits, leaves me unsure about continuing to hold.

Sell into strengths, isn't that what they say.:D

drillfix
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Sell into strengths, isn't that what they say.:D

Yes indeed H2~!

soulman
20-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Well done H2 on your sale. When you post that comment, I was looking to offload as well but as the stake was not too big, I hang on.

What a joke of a result and the drop in div just a kick in the pants. Better value elsewhere in DWS and OKN.

drillfix
20-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Agree, and very good points there KW.

I think all of us have witnessed plenty of job losses over the past month or so and its a trend that is getting stronger as you point out which the high dollar is not helping.

h2so4
20-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Well done H2 on your sale. When you post that comment, I was looking to offload as well but as the stake was not too big, I hang on.

What a joke of a result and the drop in div just a kick in the pants. Better value elsewhere in DWS and OKN.

Hi soulman
I'm not good at selling, (ho-hum), enough paper here to redo the dunny.:) Think I got lucky.

Agree with your thoughts on DTL.

steve fleming
06-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Some comments from Roger Montgomery:

Is Data#3 the market’s best-value technology services stock? An easing share price this year has the business software solutions company near value territory and looking like a bargain compared to its pricier peers. At the right price, it could provide excellent leverage to a recovering technology investment cycle in the next few years.
Data#3 is trading at an 11% premium to its estimated $1.12 intrinsic valuation, as calculated by Skaffold. It does not provide a sufficient margin of safety to buy just yet, but should have a front-row seat on portfolio watchlists. Another bout of share price weakness will create an opportunity.
Data#3 stacks up well against its IT peers on several measures. Its 45% return on equity (ROE) is the highest of a group that includes SMS Management & Technology, Oakton, DWS, Technology One and UXC.
Data#3’s latest half-year result, while sluggish, also compared favourably against several peers. It showed a 5% decline in first-half net profit for 2012-13; SMS Management reported a 15% fall, Oakton a 33% fall, and DWS was down 13%.
Moreover, Data#3’s A2 rating is an excellent score for a small-cap company in such a cyclical industry, and topped only by Technology One, which is A1 rated.
Relative value favours Data#3 at current prices. SMS Management and Oakton each trade at a 37% premium to their estimated intrinsic value. UXC is at 45%, Technology One at 39%, and DWS at a 33% premium. Data#3’s estimated 11% premium looks good by comparison.
There was significant value in Data#3 in FY11. Back then the intrinsic value per share estimate was $1.45 and Data #3 shares were trading around 80 cents at the start of that financial year. Sure enough, the share price eventually tracked the intrinsic value and by year’s end was slightly above it. Those who tracked these changes were well rewarded.
A history of trading below intrinsic value is possibly because the market has never given it sufficient recognition, or because it is under-researched by analysts.

Return on equity has averaged 45% over the last five reporting periods, a performance most ASX-listed companies would kill for, and while ROE is forecast to ease to about 40% over the next three years, the absolute number remain impressive.
Software firms can produce terrific returns on equity. Being people businesses, they require less investment in plant and equipment and other fixed costs. Data #3’s non-current assets were valued at just $13 million in 2011-12. About two-thirds was for plant and equipment and the rest for goodwill.
The ability to produce strong sales – in Data#3’s case, $809 million in FY12 – on low fixed investment is a hallmark of companies that can build competitive advantages. Unlike mining companies, for example, software companies are not lumbered with big investments in plant and equipment that can sit idle and rapidly depreciate when market conditions soften. It is far easier to cut back on people than plant.
Data#3’s other attraction is little debt. It has had hardly any over the past decade and in FY12 debt was just $2.5 million. The number of issued shares (153.9 million) has not changed for four years, and the capital structure is clean and tight. Again, this supports a high and rising ROE over time.
Taken together, Data#3 is producing excellent returns on shareholder equity, is virtually debt free, and offers more compelling value – though not quite enough yet – than its peers. So why does the market have modest interest, with Data#3 shares falling recently from a 52-week high of $1.42 to $1.25 (they are currently trading slightly higher at $1.30)?
Three reasons stand out. First, the market for software service companies is tough as governments and the private sector cancel, defer or shrink technology projects.
The second reason for market indifference towards Data#3 is its outlook. It says the 2013 technology market will “at best be similar to the 2012 market” as chief information officers in big companies delay project commitments. Consequently, Data#3 did not provide earnings guidance in its latest result – a decision that may have spooked investors.
The third reason was Data#3’s interim result. Although better than most of its peers, Data#3 reported a 6.8% drop in revenue to $406 million for the first half of FY13, and a 5.1% drop in net profit to $6.8 million, which was consistent with previous company guidance. Challenging, competitive market conditions and the timing of some licence agreements weighed on the result.
Operating expenses increased by 19% to $8 million over the same time last year. This short-term pain should lead to long-term gain, with Data#3 investing in infrastructure, systems and property to provide a stronger foundation for growth. So the result, in some ways, was better than it appeared.
The challenge for investors, however, is timing. Do you buy Data#3 now and persevere through another year or two of flat earnings as the technology investment cycle limps along? Or do you wait for more signs of improving technology investment and risk paying higher prices?
A better strategy is to ignore market noise, focus on value, and watch and wait for an opportunity to emerge. Buying Data#3 when it offers good value – possibly closer to $1 – could prove rewarding.

soulman
27-05-2013, 04:44 PM
No thread for OKN and SMX. I won't start one either. The top four of DTL, OKN, SMX and DWS offer such value in term of financial metrics and their no debt status. Still waiting for DWS update.

h2so4
30-05-2013, 04:58 PM
HY2012 I'm always a bit slow.

Higher staffing and operating costs and a huge reduction in current liabilities-some $120m. It would have been nice to have seen some of that in shareholders hands but DTL's bills have a way of catching up with them.

I don't know how Roger is handling his timing but I would definitely be waiting for the full year report before investing-even if the sp was to fall to a buck!

steve fleming
18-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Nice recovery today from yesterday's downgrade.

Dividend provides strong support, but struggling to see what a near term catalyst will be to move DTL in this low growth environment.

Wonder if Roger is true to his word and saw value in this as it approached $1?

h2so4
19-06-2013, 02:03 PM
That's the conundrum with Monty you never know if he's in or out. I am sure that some of his flock have lost money speculating on the timing of his well publicised stock pickings.

Joshuatree
11-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Breaking upward on good vols last few days. anyone in this still?

Joshuatree
12-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Better run a scan KW:).Waiting for a trend/chart change. Value trap?; great div.

Joshuatree
20-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Well! Down to 91.5c today after update and first half profit drop guidance from re $5.7 million (40% plus drop on PCP) to $3.5 to $4 mill. JH14 PBT is expected to be $11.3 mill. If you also take re 39%(unlikely?) off this you have re $6.9mill total $10.4 mill PBT. Things aren't looking so good for DTL and the IT sector.

Someone else care to work out multiples and poss div ? cheers

Huang Chung
21-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Thought IT might have been bouncing along the bottom, but there are still nasty surprises out there.

Was holding 3 IT stocks and 2 of them (DTL, UXC) issued 'earnings guidance' releases in the last day or so.

soulman
21-12-2013, 04:25 AM
Thought IT might have been bouncing along the bottom, but there are still nasty surprises out there.

Was holding 3 IT stocks and 2 of them (DTL, UXC) issued 'earnings guidance' releases in the last day or so.

Ouch HC. I also got burned with the IT theme the past 2 months or so. Got sucked in with the no debt and high dividend yield story. Lessons will be learned from this experience.

Huang Chung
21-12-2013, 10:17 AM
One of my problems Soulman is I'm not very computer literate, so reading the announcements or reports didn't make a lot of sense to me. Brokers research I was relying on to 'interpret' all these happenings for me proved sadly wanting.

Lesson learned I think....stick with investments you can understand for yourself (but I have a waver on this new rule when it comes to MBE, as I sort of understand it, and there is a decent amount of chatter on the forums that help fill in the gaps)

Joshuatree
22-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Some brokers were bullish saying the bottom is in for IT etc.Was close to getting a few DTL . Was thinking of it as like a Bank Deposit giving a good int(div) rate so a place to park some money.. More growth in my two IT stocks RXP and LGD prices; (but less div)currently repressed like most.

Joshuatree
21-08-2014, 02:34 PM
S/P down from 90c to 75c .
Total Rev up 8.1%
Gross profit down 2.7%
Gross margin down from 15.9% to 14.8%
NPAT down to $7.5 mill from 12.1 mill Mkt cap $127 million
EPS down to 4.89 from 7.88c
FY Dic 4.5c down from 7c
OCF $29.4 mill
Closing cash flow $103.4 m
NTA down 1.6% to $26.3 mill
2015 'a market uniquely in transition:)
targets growth thru mkt share gain and additional rev
Objextive to improve on the 2014 result.

Joshuatree
21-11-2014, 04:15 PM
up 10% today on solid forecast.

h2so4
22-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Looks extremely interesting.

Thanks for posting mark100

Looks extremely!!!!,!!!!!, interesting again. Up 12% doesn't look like enough.

Thanks for posting Joshuatree.

Corporate
08-12-2014, 12:24 PM
I've been buying DTL off the back of the forecast half year NPBT guidance of $4.5-$5.5m. If they can achieve this it bodes well for the JH which is traditionally stronger.

h2so4
08-12-2014, 03:16 PM
I've been buying DTL off the back of the forecast half year NPBT guidance of $4.5-$5.5m. If they can achieve this it bodes well for the JH which is traditionally stronger.

Same. Looks very cheap at these prices and I am expecting an upgrade in Jan.

I don't think further budget cuts will reduce IT much beyond it's already budget slashed usage.

h2so4
16-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Same. Looks very cheap at these prices and I am expecting an upgrade in Jan.

I don't think further budget cuts will reduce IT much beyond it's already budget slashed usage.

Gov announced $.5b cut to gov software in budget.

Joshuatree
28-04-2015, 09:40 PM
DTL looking strong 90c today. No announcements since feb. Trading update maybe close if it follows last years. Holding from 76c.

​Hope i haven't put the mockers on it!

Corporate
29-04-2015, 12:37 AM
​Hope i haven't put the mockers on it!

Same here JT!

Joshuatree
22-07-2015, 04:38 PM
PDF (http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=01643004) 2 announcements out today DTL launches Security practice

PDF (http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=01642998) DTL performance continues to strengthen

s/P back up to re 93.5c today

Joshuatree
27-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Yeah re 25% gain. NPAT expected to be $10-$11 million.D/Y re 7.5% (not my est).

Joshuatree
20-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Yep NPAT $10.6 mill up 40.9%
Rev up 4.4%
EBITDA up 39.3%
Total div up 40% to 6,3c
cash flow hi at 2.3 times
net cash $27 mill no material debt
very good outlook"...we are seeing digital disruption as high priority for commercial and public sector orbs..."

Any one into other "digital disruptors" companies doing well?

Joshuatree
25-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Upturn well underway ; nearly a 2 year high with a good yield ahead ; maybe 7%.

Joshuatree
30-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Multi million contract with Edith Cowan University where DTL "will provide a highly scaleable, highly available and future proof communications platform, from strategy, design and implementation, through to ongoing management"

Lovely chart from July which I'm sure KW and Noodles would approve of . DYOR

h2so4
30-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Well I approve LOL!....bit of a market catch up I'd say.

Waiting for the first half increased profit announcement.

clip
31-10-2015, 04:27 AM
Multi million contract with Edith Cowan University where DTL "will provide a highly scaleable, highly available and future proof communications platform, from strategy, design and implementation, through to ongoing management"

Lovely chart from July which I'm sure KW and Noodles would approve of . DYOR

Not DYOR'ing here but is there any info about the technologies used? Redundant, scalable and HA systems/architecture is what I do for work, would be interested in reading what they're using :)

Joshuatree
02-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Company Overview (http://www.data3.com/about/company-overview/) here you go clip; sounds like your forte understanding these techs; i struggle to.:mellow:

clip
03-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Cool thanks. Doesn't say too much (understandably) about the technologies used but looks like they provide hosting services out of their own datacenter/equipment rather than reselling a 3rd party (amazon AWS, microsoft Azure), bigger upfront costs to host but better margins longer term, depending on equipment lifetime/hardware failures etc

Joshuatree
05-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Fresh news Clip.

"DTL appointed Tier 1 Microsoft Solutions provider."

"The tier 1 program will allow DTL to deal directly with microsoft and customers enabling complete end to end visibility..... complements our plan to grow our Microsoft cloud rev to over $100 million this financial year" ($47 mill last year). Last years total rev $870.5 million

PDF (http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=01681836)

clip
05-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Cool thanks. TBH I don't feel the announcement is hugely substantial - according to the requirements our company would qualify to be a tier1 partner it's more to do with the way services are resold directly to customers rather than through a distributer. Bit more info about tier1/tier2 status' here (there are only 2 tiers - they basically mean direct selling/reselling of MS cloud services to customers, and indirect distribution). May explain the lack fo increase in SP.

http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/300074157/microsoft-offers-some-details-on-its-new-cloud-channel-program-but-partners-hungry-for-more.htm

Here is MS's published full list of requirements http://download.microsoft.com/documents/uk/partner/cloud/CSPCapabilityRequirementsDescriptions.docx

Not trying to downramp just provide info :)

Joshuatree
05-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Appreciate it.looks like a rev increase est about 5.7% so steady as she goes and price has already run up somewhat.

h2so4
22-02-2016, 01:38 PM
1/2 y out.
Same old story. Huge reduction in current liabilities.
SOLD

Joshuatree
26-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Patience has paid off in spades here.Turning into a long term keeper (a rare and endangered species:) and not far off a double bagger
PDF (http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=01760209)
Download Document 92.23KB (http://hotcopper.com.au/documentdownload?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvFDZpiw %2FknxaLuuh969NNT7rJEY0VXRRlNVHhlFA%3D)

SCHUMACHER
26-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Yes took me by surprise. I saw the price drop and quickly went looking for a reason. Couldn't find anything and the price soon recovered. I think it was just a bit of fear around the expected HY announcement.

DTL in good shape though with huge cash return.:)

guys you all should know by now that the sharemarket is a casino :) - its market manipulation smokescreen and mirrors, trading algorithims and inside knowledge - now whether any of these can be confirmed is most certainly a mystery - and mum and dad investors are ALWAYS THE LAST TO KNOW AND THE LAST to lose money -
the more people out there promoting their trading systems than the days of Metastock software trading systems - now it seems even your neighbour is trying to trade the sharemarket and sadly 9/10 people who try and trade lose money - fact not made up :)

one thing i have learnt over the years is that just because a stock is going down dosent mean anything is actually wrong fundamentally ! oh and if a taxi driver gives you a stock tip - run fast :D

Joshuatree
26-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Yeah feels like I'm becoming endangered too!!! Still have a few years left to reach my $target and get off this equity mirage spinning wheel. Just need to time it with a property bubble collapse then switch.
My portfolio is at a new high so there is still opportunity here for us mums and dads amongst all the shark systems and ruthless smart money algorithms in their bow ties, cannibal vampire squids and uber spin doctors. I don't have any smart software systems or recco brokers; its who i know that keeps me ahead and my ego in a bottle:).

SCHUMACHER
26-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Yeah feels like I'm becoming endangered too!!! Still have a few years left to reach my $target and get off this equity mirage spinning wheel. Just need to time it with a property bubble collapse then switch.
My portfolio is at a new high so there is still opportunity here for us mums and dads amongst all the shark systems and ruthless smart money algorithms in their bow ties, cannibal vampire squids and uber spin doctors. I don't have any smart software systems or recco brokers; its who i know that keeps me ahead and my ego in a bottle:).

Me too mate and well said - i do love the markets but boy some days the $(%&&(# drives one aroud the bend :)
the problem we all been doing it for so long that it becomes part of you and the only way to let go is reprogramme the mind- but its the adrenalin and the liquidity that drives us i suspect lol

Joshuatree
26-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Coffee liquidity dangerous too:D.
Like the air needle i had at physio; it provoked an instant sweat ,fight or flight response too.
Have met some fantastic folks on share trader over the years.:t_up:

NZSilver
26-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Me too mate and well said - i do love the markets but boy some days the $(%&&(# drives one aroud the bend :)
the problem we all been doing it for so long that it becomes part of you and the only way to let go is reprogramme the mind- but its the adrenalin and the liquidity that drives us i suspect lol

Yep its a wild place to have money - 5 days per week your positions are getting valued (usually on speculative matters like a news snippet, or a bad night on the US markets, or how someone important used a particular word in a sentence, and then you get the surprises like brexit), but boy do you learn a lot about investing as it all moves a lot faster than other investments like property. I feel the hardest skill to learn for me has been patience and ignoring hype/FOMO on particular stocks. The real advantage retail investors has is patience with good fundamentals and the ability to have relatively small holdings which means you can get in/out if need be a lot easier than the likes of fund managers, however we are definitely the last to receive the info and can miss aspects as we have other jobs during the day. But in terms of investments, I havnt found anything more interesting than shares, but I'm only in my late 20's and havnt even been through a decent market crash yet!

SCHUMACHER
26-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Yep its a wild place to have money - 5 days per week your positions are getting valued (usually on speculative matters like a news snippet, or a bad night on the US markets, or how someone important used a particular word in a sentence, and then you get the surprises like brexit), but boy do you learn a lot about investing as it all moves a lot faster than other investments like property. I feel the hardest skill to learn for me has been patience and ignoring hype/FOMO on particular stocks. The real advantage retail investors has is patience with good fundamentals and the ability to have relatively small holdings which means you can get in/out if need be a lot easier than the likes of fund managers, however we are definitely the last to receive the info and can miss aspects as we have other jobs during the day. But in terms of investments, I havnt found anything more interesting than shares, but I'm only in my late 20's and havnt even been through a decent market crash yet!

NZ Silver - you said "I feel the hardest skill to learn for me has been patience and ignoring hype/FOMO on particular stocks. "

Good that in your late 20's as ive just hit 40 and have had plenty of experience however - sometimes FOMO can suck you in - "
My rule numero uno is this ... " never , never let emotion rule " :) or as Arnold Schwartznegger says " you will lose"

this is absolute KEY IMO :D

SCHUMACHER
26-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Coffee liquidity dangerous too:D.
Like the air needle i had at physio; it provoked an instant sweat ,fight or flight response too.
Have met some fantastic folks on share trader over the years.:t_up:

Haha yes Indeed careful of that piping hot hit of joyfullness :)

back to DTL now what do they do??? - rule number 2 - Thoroughly understand the companies you invest in
Disclaimer : i hold no DTL

Joshuatree
22-08-2016, 10:57 AM
30% profit increase:t_up: Key metrics a wet dream to behold
PDF (http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=01769298)

Joshuatree
16-11-2016, 02:19 PM
$1.635 atm at or close to a 10 year high. Outlook for HY 2017 25 to 40% increase d guidance.Portfolio Investment Grade keeper atp.

Joshuatree
31-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Could this be a prob?. Ive lost on stocks before where the govt pulls the plug, changes the goal posts on big contracts. Have sold as a precaution, taking great profits (paid 76c sold re $1.805)and building a warchest for the mkt correction if/when it comes this last third of the year.
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/data3-could-lose-its-exclusive-govt-microsoft-licensing-deal-468848

Joshuatree
18-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Anyone still int in this? very good results but s/p still dribbling down atm. Am still out , watching.S/p dropped through 180DMA.
Download Document 138.86KB (https://hotcopper.com.au/documentembed?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvSDYL4w28w BLwv%2FNt87FiGug%3D)
Dividend/Distribution - DTL (https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/3628053/)
DTL delivers record profit with revenues over $1 billion (https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/3628074/)

silu
19-09-2017, 11:05 AM
There's a millstone around the whole sector at the moment. RXP (where I still have a reduced holding) announces great result but doesn't move. EPD (I've sold out now) turned the corner but it's not reflected in the SP. Best to stay on the sidelines at the moment.

Joshuatree
19-12-2017, 12:27 AM
The word delay/ed used 4 times. Value trap or more bad news to come.
DTL Trading update (https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/3913643/)