PDA

View Full Version : PDN-Paladin Resources

Skol
21-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Time to resurrect a PDN thread.
As the climate change herd behaviour reaches a crescendo this has got to be a good one, especially since it's the only company in a position to sell on the spot market, which is up to US$92 recently. Great one to trade too, I've been in and out a few times. Marius Kloppers said a few weeks age there's an excellent future for uranium. No matter what the States position is it's the only real viable alternative unless you like looking at windmills.
Nice turnaround in the last few days.
As I write this U308 up to $93.

tobo
21-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Yes, I have a few U explorers and one producer (PDN).
A few months ago wanted to reduce my U exposure as U price drifted down, but recently feeling more bullish again.
LT, I feel demand is there because it's the green alternative to coal for those without hydro/wind. Also, easy to see what's coming because of long lead times for both new reactors and new mines.

A bit concerned about the effect of Aus election on QLD prospects, but actually I don't think Mt Isa is built into the sp anyway - mostly the sp relates to production and to U price. (LT realisation of Qld could be a real big bonus when it finally impacts, so treating this investment as production/U price with a cheap blue-sky exploration component attached.)

Hold PDN, MRO for near(ish) production, PEN & SIM for 2 different kinds of blue sky, Also PDM,HGD,ARU have minor U components.

Skol
26-11-2007, 09:34 AM
According to UXC in the Timesonline, Cameco U is valued at $15.90/lb, ERA U valued at $6.20/lb, Paladin U at $17.10/lb.

Skol
30-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Paladin MD John Borshoff says PDN will be the only U miner to achieve its forecast in 2008.

www.miningweekly.co.za/article.php?a_id=121916

Skol
02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe I'll buy a few more PDN

www.mineweb.com./mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page674?oid=40889&sn=Detail

Skol
15-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Big volume in the last few days, 12.5m today, most since January. Been in and out of this stock 10 times in the last year or 2, up 20c today.

roget
16-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I think $4.30 was a bottom for this stock. I agree the volume yesterday (over 12mil) was impressive. This stock has a lot of upside, besides production it has very good exploration areas and when (not if) Qld oks uranium mining watch this baby fly!

mistymountain
02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Doesn't seem to be flying to me based on trend line.... In fact seems to be heading for $3 and below... Prediction: $2.80 by end of 2008?!

Maybe deteriorating price of U is having the adverse effect?

tobo
03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
.......Maybe deteriorating price of U is having the adverse effect?

I was just reading
http://www.energymetals.net/userfiles/file/uraniumtext21april08final.pdf dated 21 April 08.
just one opinion, but this guy is connected! Warwick Grigor - Far East Capital.
partial excerpts:
Short Term Markets Out of Alignment With Long Term Outlook: Sentiment in uranium stocks, and the spot
market for uranium, is out of alignment with the long-term outlook for nuclear power. Every week we are seeing
strong statements of commitment to expanded nuclear power from all around the world. The case for investment in
the sector is becoming increasingly more compelling. How long can we compress the sentiment spring before it
bounces back?
and
The U3O8 spot price has stabilised in the $65-75/lb range for the
past couple of months, with the latest Trade Tech Spot Price Indicator falling to US$65/lb. This seems to be
bringing the buyers out, as eight utilities are reported to be seeking 20 mill. pounds at these levels. The latest UX
Consulting Price is US$68/lb.
and, in a summary of dozen of U producers and explorers
Paladin Energy - A leader out of favour due to commissioning issues, but still has the best growth curve.
Investment Perspective: The PDN share price has not been performing as one would expect of an industry leader. Certainly it has been much weaker than ERA. It seems that positions held by the failed broking groups, Opes Prime and Lift, have had a deleterious impact.
PDN offers comprehensive exposure to the uranium sector with production that has come on-stream at a perfect time to benefit from higher uranium prices, together with a pipeline of projects that will see a growth curve that extends for perhaps a decade. We expect the share price to recover strongly from these levels. It could also be a takeover target.

although I agree the chart looks like a falling trend, the bounces are getting very narrow and on decent volumes, and some weak buy signals (MACD,sto).
$4.14 on 29 Apr is lowest it's been since that low of $3.94 on 22 Jan.
Could go either way? Get some now, or wait to see if goes any closer to 3.94?

ToBo

Skol
09-05-2008, 08:26 AM
PDN up 10% overnight on Toronto Stock Exchange. Should be a good open today.
Big volumes for the last couple of days on the ASX.

tobo
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM
PDN up 10% overnight on Toronto Stock Exchange. Should be a good open today.
Big volumes for the last couple of days on the ASX.

yep it's building. Opened 518, closed 535

ToBo. Holding

Torrero
13-07-2008, 07:03 PM
What has the new CFO done at OGC, his previous company has gone
backwards and has a small market cap, what is the rationale of
appointing him CFO of a 3 billion dollar co. Can anyone see where the
value add is??

Skol
19-05-2009, 07:51 PM
This one has been a big winner over the last few months.
Up 24c today as PDN is added to the MSCI Global Standard Index for Australia.

Skol
23-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Anyone got any thoughts on this at the moment?
I'm looking to buy some more if it hits $4, looks to be a support level around there.

drillfix
23-11-2009, 05:07 PM
$4.00 support?

Dont you maybe mean around $3.90 +or- a few cents support?

Stochastics heading downwards atm.

mistymountain
16-07-2010, 11:56 PM
whats happening now at the mine?? Big producer according to PR but SP heads south. Big picture says U woorks in a CO2 free world though. POU is low US$40. How do analysts value this company??

Cheers

MM

mistymountain
21-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Since my post PDN continues to post encouraging results; latest quarterly report shows good growth and sales.

As well as releasing another takeover prospect albeit a small company;

Anyone keen to shed some technical light on PDN??

Cheers

Phaedrus
22-07-2010, 10:18 AM
It's pretty obvious that the market doesn't share your enthusiasm for this stock, MM.
PDN is in a short-term, medium-term and long-term downtrend. That's about as bad as it gets.

A year ago PDN triggered multiple Sell signals and it has been in a steady downtrend ever since. As yet, there is no technical evidence of this downtrend weakening.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/PDN722.gif

mistymountain
22-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the response and feedback there Phaedrus; the TA looks gloomy on paper and may coincide with the U price dropping like a stone since 2007. I was thinking more in terms of potential for PDN to be an undervalued stock given U potential upside, ramping up of production, new exploration and ongoing demand for noncarbon fuels. More medium to long term I guess... 3 - 10 years....

From a TA point of view I'd certainly appreciate your comments in the months to come as to when (if ever!) there may be some buy signals...

Cheers

mistymountain
28-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Well since my last post U has lifted in price 10 % in quite a big jump.... Will be interesting to see if this momentum continues. I'd be interested to know when if what the buy signals for PDN would be. The macro analysis would say this company has a strong future though as mentioned above the current market doesn't think so...

mistymountain
29-07-2010, 09:48 PM
No comments from the Sharetrader readers so did some homework:

http://www.uranium-stocks.net/geordie-mark-glowing-reviews-for-uranium-plays/#more-1260

This was written a week ago and scroll through to read comments about PDN.

Big macro stuff so I'd be interested to know what the TA analysts would say a buy signal is.

Dr_Who
29-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I ve been keeping an eye on PDN for awhile. I am starting to look much closer now. There are talks of China needing large amounts of Uranium and have start restocking again.

shasta
30-07-2010, 12:59 AM
I ve been keeping an eye on PDN for awhile. I am starting to look much closer now. There are talks of China needing large amounts of Uranium and have start restocking again.

China have more planned nuclear reactors than the rest of the world put together, its only a matter if time before China starts buying up uranium companies.

Watch for the chinese buying in & the U308 spot rate

mistymountain
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Announcement today on website regarding supply arrangement. Sent good news to market. Watching with interest next 12 - 36 months. When to buy according to TA would be interesting Phaedrus... Cheers

Skol
15-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Up 40c in 2 days. 11%.

Anna Naum
15-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Interesting broker comment re U2 as well

mistymountain
05-11-2010, 09:37 PM
It's pretty obvious that the market doesn't share your enthusiasm for this stock, MM.
PDN is in a short-term, medium-term and long-term downtrend. That's about as bad as it gets.

A year ago PDN triggered multiple Sell signals and it has been in a steady downtrend ever since. As yet, there is no technical evidence of this downtrend weakening.

Hi Phaedrus

Just wondering about the uptrend in U and PDN in recent months. When is the buy signal? So often you comment on the sells in hindsight. Looking at PDN when would you buy?? If? When? What indicators would show a buy in your TA books?

Cheers

MM

Phaedrus
06-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi Phaedrus... What indicators would show a buy in your TA books?The price trendline and the OBV trendline, as depicted in the chart posted here last July.

What is the buy signal? Buy signals are generated when price action breaks above the trendline and/or when the OBV breaks above its trendline.

Looking at PDN when would you buy?The usual approach is to delay buying until more than one indicator has triggered a buy signal. It is inadvisable to act on the basis of any single signal in isolation.

When?These buy signals were triggered 3 weeks ago.

So often you comment on the sells in hindsight. Do I detect a hint of criticism here MM? I am a busy man and have better things to do with my time than monitor your stocks for you. But yes, here I go again, posting a signal "in hindsight" - but it's NOT hindsight is it! Over three months ago I posted a chart for you showing the relevant trendlines - trendlines that had been in place for literally YEARS. All you had to do was monitor the situation.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/PDN116.gif

corporateraider
06-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Phaedrus
I am always amazed at the time that you devote to others investment decisions. I appreciate your efforts and have learnt much, but still have so much more to learn. (Do not interpret that as your teaching being deficient.)
Many many thanks

mistymountain
07-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks Phaedrus for that detailed and thoughtful analysis. Your TA buy signal corresponds to my own positive thinking around Paladin's growth prospects, production history and improving price of U since my last posts in July. Your technical clarity cuts through market sentiment and is a great learning curve for myself and others. Your time and efforts to respond are very much appreciated. Many thanks. MM

lewinsky
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM
The graph of Palladin is interesting, and is mirrored when you look at other uranium shares such as MTN and DYL.

What I think is happening is a rerate of Uranium shares and maybe as REE was the mineral of the year for 2010, maybe we are going to see Uranium come back on the radar for 2011.

Can you recommend a good charting book, Phaedrus, I am weak in this area.

Thanks

Skol
15-11-2010, 09:54 AM
You can see there was quite a hike in the PDN price last week, might have something to do with an article in last weeks Barrons magazine where PDN got a mention.

Phaedrus
15-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Lew, I usually recommend "Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets" by John Murphy. ISBN
0-7352-0066-1 $140. This 540 page book covers most of the major facets of technical analysis, making it a good introductory text. This is one of the three books required for the American Chartered Market Technician Program. (The other two are "Technical Analysis of Stock Trends" by Edwards and Magee, and "Technical Analysis Explained" by Martin Pring.)

bull....
15-11-2010, 11:37 AM
You can see there was quite a hike in the PDN price last week, might have something to do with an article in last weeks Barrons magazine where PDN got a mention.

Breakout and rerating of uranium shares due to higher uranium prices , sold my holdings friday PEN , PDN looking for breather this week.

mistymountain
19-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Been watching this company for a while and continually encouraged by macro overview of the straight up management attitude, continual company growth model, U production. From TA point of view the break out has happened / is happening and I guess now some appropriate stop losses is the next step. Thanks for the book references above; time for some homework and much appreciated. Have a top weekend to you all.

mistymountain
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Been watching this company for a while and continually encouraged by macro overview of the straight up management attitude, continual company growth model, U production. From TA point of view the break out has happened / is happening and I guess now some appropriate stop losses is the next step. Thanks for the book references above; time for some homework and much appreciated. Have a top weekend to you all.

Another weekend rolls up and PDN rolls over $5.00 from a low of $3.40 when I first waved flag for PDN in July.

With U now at $62 from $40 too...

mistymountain
20-12-2010, 10:58 PM
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NzUwNjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0 tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Latest company growth expansion plans; first time into North America...

This must be encouraging heading into the medium term. I'm sticking neck out with the FA approach saying all good news for the forseeable future: production, exploration and resource growth on a global platform.

scorp57
21-12-2010, 02:34 PM
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NzUwNjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0 tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Latest company growth expansion plans; first time into North America...

This must be encouraging heading into the medium term. I'm sticking neck out with the FA approach saying all good news for the forseeable future: production, exploration and resource growth on a global platform.

American uranium! PDN the first stock I ever owned! Love this company to death!
Hopefully they can publicise the benefits of mining Uranium inthe USA and a little of that can shine off onto my beloved URA!

PDN one that I always have on my watchlist. Only going up from here IMO.

mistymountain
19-01-2011, 03:30 PM
American uranium! PDN the first stock I ever owned! Love this company to death!
Hopefully they can publicise the benefits of mining Uranium inthe USA and a little of that can shine off onto my beloved URA!

PDN one that I always have on my watchlist. Only going up from here IMO.

Hi Scorp

You'll be pleased to see the New Year continues to confirm the uptrend in U and PDN that began mid 2009.

U now US$66, PDN now A$5.50 +.

Great new growth stories in Canada and Africa at tail end of 2010 too.

scorp57
19-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi Scorp

You'll be pleased to see the New Year continues to confirm the uptrend in U and PDN that began mid 2009.

U now US$66, PDN now A$5.50 +.

Great new growth stories in Canada and Africa at tail end of 2010 too.

U price has alot more to run this year I beleive... its so widely talked about that it will be a self fulfilling prophecy IMO.

Bring it on!

mistymountain
19-01-2011, 11:30 PM
U price has alot more to run this year I beleive... its so widely talked about that it will be a self fulfilling prophecy IMO.

Bring it on!

More of a big picture being painted...post 666 scorp; I hope not ominous... cheers!!

(what are your U price predictions for later in 2011...?)

mistymountain
04-02-2011, 11:54 PM

6 Months down the track POU gone to US$73 from US$40 and PDN now mid $5 from mid $3. I see significant upside still right through the short, medium and long term. I wonder if the market has turned?

Phaedrus
05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
I wonder if the market has turned?I can see why you are concerned, MM - PDN has made a lower High and a lower Low, but to be in a confirmed downtrend, a lower Low needs to come after the lower high, not before. In other words, it would take a Close of below $4.83 before we could say that the market had turned.

Active traders would of course be out of PDN at the moment and general market sentiment is clearly evinced by the falling OBV. PDN is being distributed.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/PDN25.gif

corporateraider
05-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Phaedrus
Each of your posts is a learning experience for me, but what does "distributed" mean in this context.

Phaedrus
05-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Distribution occurs when most of the volume occurs on down days, as shown by a falling OBV. After an uptrend this is the selling pressure of profit-taking. Stocks are distributed from the stronger to the weaker holders as smart market participants reduce their holdings. Prices may well be static, but the higher volumes on down days show the selling pressure as larger holders distribute the shares they had earlier accumulated.

corporateraider
05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks Phaedrus
I really must read those texts that you have referred to in previous posts.

Financially dependant
14-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Looks like to me the smart money is getting in again...Airedale brought this stock to my attention over a beer...

A large spike in volume with minimal spread, the SP is retesting support and possibly trend line could be ready for another move up...

Financially dependant
15-12-2011, 11:44 AM
If you wish to be my best friend could you mash that chart into PEN:cool:

Although the offer sounds great I don't have the skills to 'mash' graphs together so have just posted then close together -

PDN making higher lows and PEN making lower lows...

Financially dependant
17-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Looks like to me the smart money is getting in again...Airedale brought this stock to my attention over a beer...

A large spike in volume with minimal spread, the SP is retesting support and possibly trend line could be ready for another move up...

Looks like today was the day, SP jumped across areas of resistance all at the same time. if it can stay above resistance/support it should be off to races...good day for U..

Financially dependant
20-01-2012, 09:38 PM
PDN is doing well (like a lot of energy stocks) but a good buying opportunity seems to be setting up...a test of support and continue the march up will attract my dollars...

Financially dependant
30-01-2012, 09:25 PM
PDN is doing well (like a lot of energy stocks) but a good buying opportunity seems to be setting up...a test of support and continue the march up will attract my dollars...

PDN tested the uptrend line today and bounced off strongly...I have a few now to see how far it runs...

Bobcat.
18-10-2013, 02:00 PM
OK, so this stock is worth another look.

The market price of Uranium as we know has fallen away ever since Fukushima blew up. That's in spite of forward construction orders and future demand (as early as 2014) indicating that there will soon be a shortage of supply...go figure. ERA is not digging much at the moment (ever since their pit was flooded back in 2011 in the Queensland floods) and so are less troubled by smaller gross profit. PDN on the other hand has tried to weather the storm by continue to operate but by cutting costs...hence the drop in its sp over the past 18 months from $2 to 38c earlier this week.

Management announced further cost cutting measures (wage freezes, less director fees, no exploration, etc) and an assurance that the company is meeting its obligations under the terms of its bonds and other liabilities. They have confirmed that its finance facilities are secured primarily against its project assets and none of its buyers (Utilities mainly) can 'unilaterally cancel' (as what happened with MBN last month). Termination is limited to non-performance (i.e. non-delivery).

Management also confirm that its mines are operating at record levels.

Its next significant (material) debt maturity is $USD300m in Convertible Bonds due 2015 the terms of which the company is totally compliant.

Media reports with misinformation regarding the above (along with a falling Uranium price) have dragged the price down to record lows, and we are now seeing a sharp recovery (up 10% today to 44c).

Buying on the way up.

BC

Bobcat.
22-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Great Britain earlier this week announced that they will construct a large new Nuclear reactor. Germany has tried not to, with the Greens and others scared off by Fukushima, instead preferring to install large wind turbines but there are huge Government subsidies that are becoming politically embarrassing for Merkel, etc, and so we may see them reconsider (especially if and when Fukushima's problems are resolved).

Either way, the UK announcement is good for Uranium producers and I expect the market price to continue to rise beyond $35.25/lb ....along with the sp of PDN, ERA, etc.

http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/uranium-oxide/

China has 28 units under construction and another 50+ planned to 2025.
Reactor growth is still occuring in USA, Korea, UAE, India and elsewhere. In spite of increased recent production in Kazakhstan, we are starting to see demand forecasts outstrip supply forecasts.

As far as local analysts are concerned, MS are bullish on ERA (but have been for a while) and FP have reconfirmed their Hold rec on PDN.

Discl: Holding PDN

Bobcat.
31-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Not too late to ride this one upward. Came off a double bottom yesterday and is now climbing quickly (up 6% today). It's been a long slide but what the UK are saying this week, about staying clear of green 'renewable' energy technology (solar, wind, etc) due to the heavy tax-funded subsidies and inefficiencies, is a strong counter to the Greens-driven policy of the German government, and will reverse market sentiment on uranium fueled reactors, with or without Fukushima fixed. Even the germans are having second thoughts ('cause of the risks of power outages, need for a network upgrade to handle highly variable load, etc).

Discl: Now holding PDN and ERA.

Bobcat.
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Technically, there is growing support for this stock (38.5c has been tested several times and held, with yesterday's low higher than Friday's, and today's (so far) higher than yesterday's). PDN's first quarter conference call and investor update this Friday morning may well provide the boost this stock needs to break through resistance at 47c. If so, it's onward and upward provided the Fukushima cleanup squad does not drop reactor rods as they attempt to relocate them.

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20131111/pdf/42krzn2pxppxn4.pdf

Bobcat.
26-11-2013, 05:22 PM
PDN has finally broken through technical resistance at 40c (trading currently at 43c). If this holds tonight, its shackles have been loosened.

I notice that other Uranium diggers are also rallying a bit (ERA, etc) so it could be that the Iranian deal has been the boost that the market has been waiting for. Either way, this company is in recovery and I'm expecting an upward trendline to begin forming as from this week.

That's my theory and I'm trading to it.

BC

KiwiGreen
28-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I found this to be one of the most balanced non-biased opinions on Uranium so thought I'd post it.

http://www.metalsnews.com/Metals+News/MetalsNews/Dr.+Allen+Alper+and+Aaron+Hoos/EXPERT810735/Thomas+S+Drolet+Explains+Why+He+Is+Bullish+On+Uran ium.htm

I don't hold any uranium related companies at present (nor have I in the past).

macduffy
28-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Just a matter of time, IMO, before PDN becomes a sought-after stock again!

According to Cantor Fitzgerald, the real supply deficit will be felt in 4-5 years time.

http://www.cantorcanada.com/pdfFiles/20131024Commodity%20Price%20Update.pdf

Skol
21-01-2014, 04:35 AM
More activity on PDN. China National Nuclear Corporation buys in.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-20/paladin-sells-uranium-mine-stake-in-africa-to-china-national-1-.html

Once the world gets over Fukushima it'll be business as usual, particularly in China which has the world's worst environmental disasters.

Note the volume.

Daytr
21-01-2014, 09:26 AM
It may take some time for the media let alone the Japanese people to get over Fukushima, seeing they is still hundreds of tons of very high radioactive water flowing into the ocean daily. In the US they haven't built a nuclear power plant since the 3 mile island incident.

Reported today that it may take another 5 years or more to contain leaks from Fukushima.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-20/tepco-probes-cause-of-latest-radioactive-water-leak-at-fukushima.html

I'm not saying PDN won't do well, it may well do, but you are kidding yourself if you think the effects & media around Fukushima are going away anytime soon & or there isn't another incident there or somewhere else.

Skol
21-01-2014, 10:11 AM
It may take some time for the media let alone the Japanese people to get over Fukushima, seeing they is still hundreds of tons of very high radioactive water flowing into the ocean daily. In the US they haven't built a nuclear power plant since the 3 mile island incident.

There are 3 nuclear power plants under construction the USA.
=========================================

•The USA is the world's largest producer of nuclear power, accounting for more than 30% of worldwide nuclear generation of electricity.
•The country's 104 nuclear reactors produced 821 billion kWh in 2011, over 19% of total electrical output. There are now 100 units operable and three under construction.
•Following a 30-year period in which few new reactors were built, it is expected that 4-6 new units may come on line by 2020, the first of those resulting from 16 licence applications made since mid-2007 to build 24 new nuclear reactors.
•However, lower gas prices since 2009 have put the economic viability of some of these projects in doubt.
•Government policy changes since the late 1990s have helped pave the way for significant growth in nuclear capacity. Government and industry are working closely on expedited approval for construction and new plant designs.

Bobcat.
21-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Yes, PDN has spiked for four days running now, which is bullish...and if the chinese have decided to buy into it, that is unlikely to change for a while. Nevertheless, on a TA signal (RSI >80%), I sold half my stake just after the market opened yesterday which (praise-G) was good timing given the price fell away 10% through the day, but this run in the stock price does have legs, and so will look to top up again this week sometime on a dip (I'm guessing at around 55c).

Surf's up.

Daytr
21-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Very radio active surf outside Fukushima BC! LOL although I shouldn't laugh!

Bobcat.
26-02-2014, 05:25 PM
PDN, ERA, BKY and other Aussie uranium diggers have all had magnificent lifts to their share price today. PDN for example is up over 25%!

Japan is about to turn back on its Fukushima nuclear reactors:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2044893-uranium-and-nuclear-etfs-heat-up-as-japan-turns-on-reactors

This other article posted just 12 hours ago was very timely.

http://www.stockhouse.com/opinion/independent-reports/2014/02/25/why-uranium-is-ready-to-roar-back.

Skol
26-02-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm not saying PDN won't do well, it may well do, but you are kidding yourself if you think the effects & media around Fukushima are going away anytime soon & or there isn't another incident there or somewhere else.

Standard from Daytr.

"It might do well or it might not do well". He likes a bet both ways.

Bobcat.
26-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Are you holding any Skol?

I'm sitting pretty on quite a few PDN. I sold half in the low 60's last month, and then topped up again at what I thought was a dip in the low 50's. Praise-G I never kicked in a stop loss at 49c.

I know I'll get itchy fingers after about three days of this climb which has started today but I'm in two minds re a suitable selling strategy:

a) if the reactors fire up well, one after the other, then this lift in the spot uranium price will be long lasting, but
b) if the reactors don't fire up well enough then it could plummet again.

How do see it (assuming you're holding)?

Skol
26-02-2014, 05:56 PM
BC,

Yes I own PDN, but to be honest I'm waiting for a profit, but sure I won't have to wait long. It's the way of the future, I've been a fan of nuclear for years, new technology will see it blast off.

Bobcat.
26-02-2014, 06:08 PM
BC,

Yes I own PDN, but to be honest I'm waiting for a profit, but sure I won't have to wait long. It's the way of the future, I've been a fan of nuclear for years, new technology will see it blast off.

Yes, it's very clean energy. The Greens and other environmentalists are now very split about it.

Coal's ugly and dirty.
Solar is clean but still very expensive and only suitable for very few residential areas
Natural Gas is good but can be awkward to transport.
Hydro is OK provided the environmental safeguards are well planned and properly implemented.
Wind turbines kill big birds (eagles, owls, etc), are noisy and otherwise irritating to people living nearby.

...and so now that Fukushima is about to be switched back on, this could be the dawn of a new era in Nuclear.

The Chinese are getting ready for it. The British have recently reconsidered and are less paranoid about it; and the Germans are wishing they didn't have the huge public subsidies required for non-Nuclear but politically will IMO be very reluctant to endorse Nuclear for several years yet.

Meanwhile, NZ is still wise in its own opinion re Nuclear (Lange has much to answer for) but with its natural waterways and other power generation can afford that luxury (unlike most other high-energy-dependant nations). We are ignorant of our arrogance in these matters.

IMO, PDN will be soon removing last week's announced care and maintenance status on its production.

Skol
27-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Nuclear's definitely the future, some just haven't figured it out yet.
I've been adding PDN occasionally but can't really see lots of action until the uranium price starts moving.

Skol
06-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Not much action on the Uranium price but PDN up 11% with good volume. Maybe the EU is figuring out it's not a good idea to rely so much on Russian gas.
It's interesting to note that Cameco is moving up as well.

Bobcat.
06-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Not much action on the Uranium price but PDN up 11% with good volume. Maybe the EU is figuring out it's not a good idea to rely so much on Russian gas.
It's interesting to note that Cameco is moving up as well.

...as well as BKY and ERA, etc. Something's in the air. Growing anticipation of Fukushima coming back on line?

I'm trying to decide my selling strategy on this one. Selling half again when it gets into the 60's again, me thinks. Buy again either on a dip or if it breaks through 65c. That could work.

Remember that PDN is operating now under "Care and Maintenance".

BC

corran
06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Nuclear's definitely the future, some just haven't figured it out yet.

Hi Skol,

I'm glad to see we agree on some things :-)

I also think nuclear energy will have a much bigger role to play in the future and that good uranium stocks could be a huge growth story over the next few years.

This year I've invested in PDN, AGS and PEN and all are doing well recently.

Skol
06-03-2014, 12:44 PM
corran,

PEN-wow, up 40% in the last week or two, looks like all uranium stocks are being re-rated. DYL up too.

Skol
07-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Nice, PDN up 5% today, now 60c.

Skol
20-08-2014, 08:25 AM
PDN taken a beating in the last few months but recovery's underway. Not sure why, could be Japan starting nuclear power stations again, uranium price up a little, Aussie to export U to India or a Robin Bromby article on whether U is going to be the next big thing.
The Global X uranium ETF is up 8% in the last 3 months.

Daytr
20-08-2014, 10:50 AM
BC, you state above that Fukushima is about to be switched back on? Really? Happy to be proven wrong, but as far as I'm aware its still a complete environmental disaster that is yet to be contained, as per the article below. There are readings of highly radioactive water as far away as Hawaii & the US West Coast. Now I agree coal needs to be replaced as well as oil as the main source of energy, however to state that nuclear is the future when the issue is, when it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong & can last for decades if not hundreds & perhaps thousands of years. My view is the answer is utilizing a multitude of sources of clean energy including solar, tidal, wave, wind. If the governments around the world including NZ & Australia put as nearly as much support behind clean energy as they do fossil fuels, then we could be possibly free of fossil fuel power generation or at least a long way towards it. One point you raise is that solar etc can only power a small area & yes this is basically correct & again is the future rather then having massive trunk line infrastructure where a lot of energy is lost in transmission & is massively expensive to maintain. If alternative green energy was supported by government, it would create a very large industry that would employ a hell of alot of skilled workers & create numerous small businesses to install & support, rather than a few massive companies that feel free to name their price in regards what the price for electricity is. Imagine if most people generated their own power or the majority thereof. So as you can see BC I'm not a fan of nuclear as an alternative to fossil fuels when there are so many better alternatives if only government would get out of the pockets of big business.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ndtv.com%2Farticle%2Fworld%2F japan-s-fukushima-nuclear-plant-still-fragile-three-years-after-accident-494165&ei=uszzU5-uNsO9uATJhoLABA&usg=AFQjCNGKIiFLlK3UmPC5Pnf1TxcaxtuiLQ&sig2=mz98OjXrLCP_Eo8jJs-hZA

Bobcat.
20-08-2014, 11:05 AM
BC, you state above that Fukushima is about to be switched back on? Really?

That was a quote from a post 6 months ago, Daytr, when the Japanese were shifting rods at Fukushima and confident of an imminent start. Within a week of my post, they disclosed more fundamental issues which as you know have kept it closed ever since. There is a change in the membership of their Nuclear Regulatory Authority, which most pundits are seeing as liberal, and the Japanese economy through its summer is paying many billions for natural gas and other alternatives, which is pressuring the Government to kick start a few reactors sooner rather than later...but Fukushima is now unlikely to start any time soon - definitely not this year, and probably not next year either.

PDN, PEN, BKY, ERA and other .asx Uranium stocks are however enjoying a nice lift in sp given the futures market now looking more bullish.

http://www.solactive.com/?s=Global&index=DE000SLA0UR5

http://www.u3o8.biz/s/Home.asp

http://www.uxc.com/review/UxCPrices.aspx

Discl: holding PDN, BKY and PEN

Daytr
20-08-2014, 03:02 PM
BC I wasn't having a crack, well maybe I was a little as I thought you post was pretty frivolous. But to the point, the fact that they even considered turning it back on when it is so apparent that it is a long way from being ready if ever, it will be able to be used again. When they were planning Fukushima they considered building it to withstand a 10 magnitude earthquake & resulting tsunami, however due to cost they chose it to be built to withstand an 8 I think it was. They also knew at the time that there was a reasonable chance that they may confront an earthquake bigger than it was designed to withstand as it had happened before more than once in recorded history i.e the last 70 years or so, whereas there had never been a 10. But they went ahead anyway. Whilst running Fukushima Tepco, had been caught falsifying data & not following basic procedures on multiple occasions over about a 20 year period. The fact that spent rods were left lying around in one of the reactors is case & point. Tepco run far more nuclear power plants than Fukushima. I also suspect its not just the Japanese that run these plants poorly & at high level of risk & no transparency. I drove past a massive plant in Bulgaria in '93 not long after the wall came down & the thought occurred to me then, I wonder who is running that now? So my long winded point is that, who can be trusted to run these plants & follow safety procedure & good practice and even if they do what's to stop something like a natural disaster doing the same sort of thing again ? The destructive nature & environmental damage that is created when these things go wrong is just too great & unfortunately corporate & governments time & time again do not do what they are supposed to so cannot be trusted to run something so destructively powerful. Would you want one on your back door?

Skol
20-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Nuclear power plants have been running safely for decades, the US Navy has them in dozens of submarines and warships, commercial stations have over 15,000 years of accumulated operations.
I'd sooner live next to nuclear station than a coal fired one, and if you want to see what they do to the environment fly over China and see the result.

There's 435 commercial stations and 71 under construction and that doesn't include military plants.

I hope Daytr doesn't own a car, they're very, very dangerous.

Bobcat.
20-08-2014, 03:49 PM
When they were planning Fukushima they considered building it to withstand a 10 magnitude earthquake & resulting tsunami, however due to cost they chose it to be built to withstand an 8 I think it was...Would you want one on your back door?

I agree with Skol - nuclear power stations are very efficient, and in spite of a lot of angst earlier (last century) their track record has actually been very good. Fukushima's problem was not so much its lack of earthquake resistance but its other design flaws. Despite engineer recommendations to build it below sea level with sluice gates which could be used to flood and cool its reactors in the event of an emergency, they built it above sea water!

http://beforeitsnews.com/japan-earthquake/2013/10/fukushima-massive-spike-6-500-times-higher-than-readings-on-wed-last-week-2444224.html

I'm investing in PDN.asx and other participants in the nuclear industry because its safe....efficient...and clean.

Skol
20-08-2014, 03:54 PM
It's a fact that hydroelectric plants have the worst safety records. In 1975 a dam in China failed and 171,000 people perished.

Daytr
20-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Skol, read my post mate, I wasn't recommending coal over nuclear, but green sustainable energy. But if you think that's coal, that wouldn't surprise me.

Fair enough BC each to their own of course, however we will just have agree to disagree on the nuclear power being safe or clean. What do you think they do with the radioactive waste that has a half life of something like 500,000 years? They put it in copper drums underground. You can just see those copper drums going the distance Containing that stuff. That's if they dispose of it properly at all. Clearly not in the case of Fukushima.

I do object to the likes of Chernobyl & 3 mile island being termed as 'a lot of angst'.

Bobcat.
20-08-2014, 04:34 PM
What do you think they do with the radioactive waste that has a half life of something like 500,000 years? They put it in copper drums underground.

I'm picking that within 20 years it will be dumped on Mars.

Daytr
20-08-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm picking that within 20 years it will be dumped on Mars.

There is always hope BC, but then it becomes the little green men's problem. ��

For your reference I don't invest in any coal or uranium assets.

Bobcat.
20-08-2014, 05:22 PM
From Casey Research Dispatch :

"The Russians have received a pleasant reward from the sanctions—a devalued currency which now makes their uranium exports more profitable. Why does this matter to Americans?

Eventually, the underfeeding uranium market will transition to overfeeding, which will cause a big spike in the uranium spot price, as it always has in the past. The current US production is around 4 million pounds of uranium annually, which is almost 15 times less than what Kazakhstan produces in a year.

Current US producers are being forced to deplete their reserves at historic lows if they’re hedged. And, also because of uneconomic current prices, very few new projects are moving forward in the US.

At some point, America will be squeezed for uranium, as it is the world’s largest consumer, and it currently imports 90% of what it consumes annually.

With only modest domestic production and the drawdown of DoE stockpiles, where will the metal come from? Russia and Russian-influenced sources. When overfeeding hits and the spot price turns around, US producers that have remained unhedged will benefit. Those that have mines which are built, permitted, and in a position to produce uranium will return significant gains for shareholders."

Skol
06-09-2014, 04:24 PM
There is always hope BC, but then it becomes the little green men's problem. ��

For your reference I don't invest in any coal or uranium assets.

Big mistake, had a look at the uranium miners lately?

McPussPuss
18-09-2021, 05:47 PM
Anyone still looking at Paladin today? compelling tailwinds for the sector as some have predicted for a few years. An inflection point has come courtesy of Sprott, is this just the beginning?